Speaker 1: All right back with Eddie and Rocky just a little while longer, but right before we do, we generally talk to our good friends from ABC News. Today no exception, we talked to our ferend Brad Garrett from ABC News and Crime, Terrorism and List for ABC and Brad, Minneapolis, of all places, has become the epicenter. It's a pressure cooker. What the hell is going on up there?
Speaker 2: So you know, you have a situation where the local law enforcement and I guess with the blessing of the governor and the mayor are not helping Ice and customs of water protection with immigration enforcement. Now that translates into they clearly come behind them. Like I think last night was an example, Ice shot a guy in the northern part of Minneapolis. They obviously respond to that because the shooting itself is in their jurisdiction. But the short answer is it's Ice kind of on their own as far as immigration enforcement. And you know that in itself creates problems because it's not their city. It's Minneapolis. The city and the cops know it much better than federal law enforcement would. So there's all sorts of safety and security issues in my view, if they're not participating. I get why they're not participating, in particular with the way it seems that ICE is approaching this, but you know that's that's kind of one of the reasons we're having this conversation and this topic seems to not go away.
Speaker 3: And ICE is enforcing that the federal law. But let me ask you this, Brad, is are the local police helping protect ICE. I don't think anybody will expect them to cooperate with ICE and doing their job, which is to remove criminal, illegal aliens. But like when these demonstrators are using their cars to block them in and putting bullhorns up in their ears and yelling profanities and getting close to them, as local law enforcement helping keep them at bay and get those folks away from ICE and let them do their job.
Speaker 2: Or no, well, they certainly are once it turns into an what they call an unlawful assembly, so that's when they start throwing stuff at ICE. To your point, blocking the roads, they will clearly intervene because that's a public safety issue for the city of Minneapolis. But the more traditional way you would see this, so in other words, leave ICE and what they're doing for a second and just go with me to a rest a guy on a homicide case that's a really violent dude, has a lot of guns. It would be me with agents, with my SWAT team and with the DC Police, and the DC Police would do the perimeter around the house or houses we're going to go into to arrest people, to you know, obviously protect us, but also just to keep people away in case something goes south when you commit these sort of dynamic entries. So that's the typical and you would think that, you know, in the day to day operation, that that Minneapolis Police could do that, and they could. I guess there's just a lot of reasons politically and otherwise that they're not doing that. And and you know, also the other problem is because ICE I think through mandates of upper of their upper management and obviously all the way to the president, is that I think they have quotas on the number of people there are to arrest a day, and I think they're really high. And so the idea that you could use sort of these organized majored arrests, I do think they do some of those, but they also go into neighborhoods. It sounds like to meet your go to seven eleven's or home depot, They go into factories, they do all sorts of places where they just start id people and if you're illegal, that hook you up and take you off, right.
Speaker 3: But I mean, everything I've heard is that the vast majority is they get you know, they do their research and they get information that so and so is here illegally, and most of the time they're going after the ones that are criminals with records in arresting. Then what would the police not want to help with that? As you said, it's their city. Why haven't the police, you know, arrested some of these folks again, especially the criminal illegal aliens, And so I guess the ice would say, well, you haven't done the job and done this, so now the federal government's got to come in and do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know that it's that simple. I'll tell you this that each city, I'm going to guess Minneapolis has this because it's the city of size that there were fugitive task forces in every city that the US Marshals run that and they serve day in and day out, all sorts of warrents, federal warrants, local warrants. There are a task force and there'll be many APOS cops, they'll be Saint Paul cops, they'll be the Minnesota State Police, they'll be most agencies are on these task forces and they go out and arrest people. So, you know, I don't know if it's so clear that that that part of this job is not being done. If somebody's going to warrant the system for murder or attempted murder or whatever it is, that task force, as well as the detectives and agents who have that particular case, they're going to be looking for the guy if in fact they haven't found them. So I my sense would be the following that there are people out there clearly that are illegal, that are doing bad things, and maybe they'll have a record that maybe they won't have, or maybe they'll just have a record they're actually not wanted as we speak, but they do have a record, and because they violated the immigration laws, it allows ICE and Customs of Border Protection to arrest them. You know, it's hard for me to believe that the majority of the cases that they arrest, and I don't know the answer to this I'm discussing, are I think there's a lot of people the arrest that are illegal but are law by me. They have a job, they have kids, they go to church, they do all sorts of things, and you know, every probably every neighborhood in the country. And so I think that's where the rub comes. I don't think anybody liberal or conservative would argue that, you know, some of these bad folks, it doesn't really matter whether they're illegal as much as it matters they're violent and bad to pick them up and use immigration to to force them back to wherever.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we'll see how this is going to obviously be shaken out for a long time. Thank god it's the winter time. Maybe that tamps a little bit of this down because I can imagine if this was all going on different warm weather. Yeah, with the with that, Brad, we will let you go man, Thank you so much anytime.
Speaker 3: Kick care guys, Thanks very much.
Speaker 1: Brad, Brad Garrett, ABC News.
Speaker 3: And another news ed. Let's go ahead and lighten it up here a little bit. A couple of transfer portal quarterback pieces of news for you. And we talked about TJ. Finley. He was on his sixth school in six years. Well he's now just committed to his seventh school in seven years. He's been at LSU Auburn, Texas State, to Lane Western Kentucky, Georgia State, and now he's going to play for Incarnate Word in his seventh year plane football.
Speaker 1: That's insane, man, And not.
Speaker 3: To be outdone. There is a quarterback and I remember this guy like a while ago. His name is Jake Garcia. Okay, he is now also back in the transfer portal. The former four star quarterback is in search of his fifth different college football program in six years and his eleventh different school in ten years. I repeat, his eleventh different school in ten years.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: As not the oldest player in college football, but he's certainly the most traveled. The California native was one of the most sought after players in the recruiting class of twenty twenty one. Garcia was ranked as one of the top best players at his position, a four star prospect. Other names that were ranked in that year Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, J. J. McCarthy, Drake May Jackson dark a lot of hype about him. Originally from California, started at Long Beach Polly, but his head coach left after his freshman season. So this we're talking high schools Okay. Garcia then transferred to Narbone High School in the Harbor City area of Los Angeles. Have We played only one season there, the program was ruled ineligible for the playoffs, so he left. That left him. Then he went to Lahabra High School in Orange County. Then the pandemic hit. Garcia transferred a third time when the California Interscholastic Federation canceled all sports in twenty twenty one. Okay, his parents had to legally separate as husband and wife so their son could be ruled eligible to play in a different state. He even rolled at Valdosta High School, which is a big time high school in George. I remember this like they didn't want to get a divorce, but they had a divorce, so that enabled him to move to his fourth high school.
Speaker 1: That's being committed to your kid right there.
Speaker 3: He won the starting job. He started only one game. Some other things happened. Transferred to fourth time Okay, Then he committed to USC. After all that, he still got a scholarship. Committed to USC, then de committed, then signed with Miami on December sixteenth of twenty twenty. He then two years with the Hurricane that didn't work out. It was a third string quarterback. Let's see. Then. Uh, then he went to Missouri. Then that didn't work out there, let's see. Then he went to I think it was it. Yeah, he went to ECU East Carolina. That didn't work out. Re entered the portal during spring practice labor at last April committed to Michigan, never saw the field. It's announced this week that Garcia is back in the transfer portal, with shockingly one year of eligibility remaining. So again, this is it's just I don't know, man, He's on his fifth different college. But then again, this is his eleventh different school in ten years if you count what four or five high school programs that he went to. That's gotta be exhausting at some point, don't you gotta go? I understand like persevering and like you gotta fight through the hard times, But at some point is the universe not telling you?
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's not working now, It's right, this is not your future, son, Move along. Yeah, it's wild. I uh, what is this going to do to the future of college football? Buddy? I mean, they have to do something about this. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Everybody agreed it's ridiculous, but no one is in a position to actually have any teeth when it comes to implementing the rules. It's going to take to change it in high school. I mean, I'm telling you right now too, Like you know what Indiana's I think I said this the other day, but Indiana's roster the average age is twenty three years old. So these are grown men. These are no longer nineteen twenty year olds playing college. These are grown men. And that's going to be the future. And this is going to totally up to over head over heels high school recruiting. So if you're listening to me right now and you think that, you know, you got a son that plays high school football and you're wondering why he's not getting recruited, Well, you know, you know, maybe he's not good enough, but also he could be good enough if this were still the year two thousand. But it's twenty twenty six and these colleges are prioritizing older players with experience college players. So there's a much much smaller amount of high school recruiting that has done compared to years past, and you better understand it or it's going to be shocking to you.
Speaker 1: Well, this is like if the NFL just went totally more or less concentrated on free agency and just said, okay, well we have the draft, but whatever, let's concentrate on see what other rosters we can rob and move on that way, right, I mean, it seems to be that's what's going on to to some degree.
Speaker 3: But I think the difference is in the NFL draft. Those guys are you're a young man, but you're a grown man, and you know, you're talking the cream of the crop here. When you're you know, there's it's much more of a crapshoot. When you're trying to gauge the athletic future and potential and ability to play right away of a kid who is eighteen, you know, it's much harder to grasp. So yeah, it's it's whole new world's ever evolving.
Speaker 1: See how it all shakes out right now, We've got traffic and weather. What is going on