Speaker 1: This is the Budweiser reds Hot Stove League. The Red surround Theayio.
Speaker 2: The Hotstove League is brought to you by Jtmfood Group. Let's create great dishes together. JTM MSA Design, the region's leader in sports education and civic design and the official architect of the Reds Tom's Watchbar. All the sports, all the time. Bet MGM. Now you're betting with the King of sportsbooks. Download the bet MGM app today, Please gamble responsively. The reds Hot Stove League is also brought to you by Kelsey Chevrolet, now driving forward with a new look, the same promise, and more ways to deliver peace of mind from our family to yours.
Speaker 1: Visit kelseyschev dot.
Speaker 2: Com and buy RNL Carriers. Visit RLC dot com and make RNL Carriers your global transportation provider.
Speaker 3: Deep the center field, going back at the wall leaved it is long gone. Belly Dla Cruz, the Red Zoo on the.
Speaker 1: Red Now the reds Hot Stove League.
Speaker 3: Welcome in to the Butdwiser reds Hot Stove League, presented by u DF. We are live the bet MGM sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the banks and Jimmy, We've got a big show for you tonight with jim Day. I'm Tommy throw the Reds news to talk about there. Yeah, there are some rumors abound already, and reports are that the Reds have added a left handed reliever to their bullpen for this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the reports are true and the physicals passed, et cetera. Ken Roses, oh I think was reporting first that red to signed left handed reliever Caleb Ferguson, twenty nine years of age, Ohio product. He's up there from God's Country, Columbus.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Uh.
Speaker 4: Throughout the season, the Reds needed someone out of the bullpen to face left handed batters for most of the season. Their best option was a right handed pitcher in Graham Ashcraft. So this fits the bill. Last year, I it was one eight four average against him versus left handed batters, gave up only two home runs the entire season. Kind of changed his pitch repertoire a little bit. So I'm not sure you can judge him over the whole career. Off judge him on last year, which was really really good. Er in the threes. He will help, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: I mean like you said, if you look at one thing that the bullpen really needed last year, they never did quite have a reliable level in high leverage. Yeah, yeah, no doubt so. Caleb ferguson seventy games last year between Pittsburgh and Seattle as Jim andntioned Era right in the threes. So those reports just coming out what about an hour hour and a half ago, so still fresh, but still some things to button up to get that deal done and in writing. Hopefully later this week we'll have official word on that. The other exciting news this week that came out earlier today the Reds Hall of Fame induction class for twenty twenty six, and we've got the executive director of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, Rick Walls, with us to talk about it. We'll have Marty Brennaman on a little bit later on. Among those elected, Aaron Harang will also join us on the show today and Reggie Sanders elected as well. He will be on the show a little bit later on as well. Brandon Phillips, of course, headlines the list, a three time All Star, four gold gloves and a silver slugger to his credit, in addition to Harangue and Sanders. Lou Panella rounds out the list. Really, Jimmy, before we get to Rick, an incredible induction class and what a class of twenty twenty six. I saw some people on Twitter saying this might be the most deserving class the Reds have had inducted into their Hall of Fame of the many, many classes that have gone in.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the people had waited for Reggie Sanders for a while. Brandon Phillips was a lock, one of the fan favorites, one of the most dynamic players that put on a Reds uniform ever. Aaron harang was an opening day starter so many times and was super reliable on a point where the Reds didn't have a lot of depth of pitching.
Speaker 3: He was premier guy. And then Sweet Lou.
Speaker 4: I mean when you cap it off with lou Panella, who was so he might be top five beloved figures all time in Red's history. Definitely top ten. So what a class which is say it's something for a guy that made it's just the way he did it that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. Let's bring in Rick Wallas. Rick, congratulations on the news today. Obviously exciting stuff. Your reaction. I mean, you have a pretty good feel for this stuff by this point, you've been at it for a long time. I'm sure you had a good idea who was going to make it. But now that it's official, your reaction.
Speaker 5: You know it's one of the strongest classes we've had. I've heard a lot of people tell me the same thing. And when the Veterans Committee met and added and we knew the results of the modern player ballot. So remember there's the two components, right, the modern player ballot, players that played within the last fifteen years. That's where Brandon and Aaron came through. The Veterans Committee met, They sat down, deliberated for about two and a half hours, went over all the candidates in detail, and that's where you find Loop Penell and Reggie Sanders rising to the level. When I knew that we were going to have the four, I knew we had a stellar class.
Speaker 3: No doubt. Well talk about Loop Penello for a second. We'll talk about no doubt with Marty a little bit later on. You talk about a guy getting his due. Boy, very very deserving of this honor. Of course, with the ninety Wired to Wire team, not a bad way to start your managerial career.
Speaker 5: With a team not at all and talking to him, you know, he says, I took over a good team and Pete Rose's team, and then I added some components, and then I helped them gel together, and then we just went wired to wire, you know, the first team in nationally to do that. And I think you look at that team, and you look at those players, you talk to them, and they've been back many times. Right, this is the thirty fifth anniversary of that team, and they talk always at nauseum about Loup Panell and what he meant to that club where it's a nasty boys, and Davis Hatcher, O'Neil, all these guys say, you know, Lou was the guy that held us together. So I expect a big turnout when come April, when Lou comes back into town.
Speaker 4: And you said April, normally it's mid summer, so we've moved that up a bit so we don't have to sweat it out there in the scorching heat. I think April there's always a lot of interest in the team in April.
Speaker 3: Can you speak to the moving that up.
Speaker 5: I think you know this had to do with the red schedule. We always like to kind of work ourselves around the schedule so the current team can go to the induction Gala, which is the big event. It takes place at the Convention Center at the end of the weekend, so they will all attend. So what that means is probably all the players that are coming to be inducted this year, at least in Brandon and Harangue, they've been to the galla. They know how we treat history, they know how important this is to the organization, and in time, you know, they'll figure out what it means to them even more and more. And I hear that from all the players that get inducted. So April, the convention centers available, the red schedules available, and we're hoping everybody's going to be there. It's going to be a big weekend.
Speaker 3: The dates April twenty four through twenty six the whole weekend celebration of this induction class, the galley you're talking about the Convention Center will be on April twenty sixth. Exciting stuff, Brandon Phillips. You talk about a guy you're watching his career play out, and you just know as you're watching him, this guy's going to be in the team's Hall of Fame at some point, and no real surprise there, but going back watching the highlights, the enthusiasm that that guy played with pretty fun to be able to finally induct him into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: So many people just came to the ballpark to watch Brandon. I mean, he was one of those electric players, defensive superstar, best defensive player in the league for many years. It was just fun to watch. He brought enthusiasm. You never knew what he was going to do. Maybe it was behind the back to second sometimes you're like, wait a minute, don't do they just throw it straight? But he always came through and I know he's excited about this on or one of the cool things we got to do is make the phone calls.
Speaker 4: So that's where I was going to ask you about, where were the phone calls? Like, what's that like to tell a guy that one of their lifelong dreams has been achieved.
Speaker 3: This is one of.
Speaker 5: The perks of the job, right, So to be able to do this, and we know we're changing lives, not just theirs, their family members, and from now on they'll always be called Red's Hall of Famer. You can add that to their bio. So you go into each one of these calls and you're surprising them because they don't know. Sometimes you have to set up a go hey, can I call you, you know, and set up a call for ten o'clock this time, and they're like, yeah, it might be about this. In the case of Aaron Harang and I'm sure Aaron's listening right now, but we thought it might be about fantasy camp because he's going to be a fancy camp rights this year. And start talking to him and we break the news and I think, you know, you have to ask him how he felt about the whole thing. And I think it's kind of a neat private moment for them and their family to experience that. Some that I'm curious what it's like when they get off the phone and then they get to tell everybody about it. I did tell them one of the hardest things to do is to keep it quiet. Can't you can't talk about it until Tuesday when we make the announcement And here we are, so they're excited to be they finally tell everyone about it.
Speaker 3: Very good again. Folks can get tickets to the gallat if they want, right, I mean tickets.
Speaker 5: The whole induction celebration. I'd be remiss if I didn't say, you know, our partners PNC is the presenting sponsor of that. But you can get tickets right now, get them for the game that weekend on the twenty fifth, but also on the twenty six, that is the gala over the Convention that They are available at Redsmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: So the actual ballpark ceremony is the twenty fifth, the gala at the Convention Center of the twenty six, tickets available for both.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, they'll be as we always do. There will be meeting greets in the museum. We invite all the returning Hall of famers, all Hall of famers that come back. It's going to be a great celebration of Reds history.
Speaker 3: Rick certainly appreciate you coming on with us. Congratulations, a great class and I know you guys are excited to celebrate it coming up in April.
Speaker 5: Ar Thank you, guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Rick. That is Rick Walls, the executive director of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. We're back with Hall of Fame broadcaster and Red's Hall of Famer Marty Brenhaman Next this is the Budweiser Hot Stove League presented by udf Li from the MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's It's Part the Banks on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back in It's the Butdweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by you d Live the bedmg book inside Tom's watch bar at Banks talking about the Reds Hall of Fame induction class of twenty twenty six and nobody, nobody better to talk about this group than the Hall of Famer Reds Hall of Fame broadcaster Baseball Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brenhaman joins us. Now, Marty, what's happening? How are you? Man?
Speaker 6: If I was any better, boys, I'd be.
Speaker 3: Twin wins there it is.
Speaker 6: That's all I can tell you.
Speaker 3: Good are you? Are you state side right now braving the cold with the rest of us? Are you somewhere tropical or No?
Speaker 6: I'm right out here in Anderson Township. I'm in the country. It's only temporary, understand, but I'm in the country and I'm thrilled to death to be on with you and Jim tonight.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome back to the Hot Stove, the show that you made famous much more famous than it is right now, no doubt. Maybe we should have a caller call in and ask if you remember seeing them at a Kroger twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Just a really of old times.
Speaker 4: Anyways, this class, when you first heard, I mean, this is a good class, When you first heard the members that were in this class, what was your reaction?
Speaker 6: Well, i knew them all beforehand, Tommy, because I'm on the Veterans Committee, and I know Rick talked about that a minute ago. We spent two and a half hours going over the complete list of those who were eligible to be considered, and you know, at the end of the night we settled on Reggie Sanders and Luke Panella, Brandon and I knew about it's and Aaron Harrang also, I think, echoing the sentiments of Rick and what you guys said, it's a great class. And one of the things that nobody's touched on on was not only are they deserving, is the fact that I've talked to all four of them on the phone the last two days and they're thrilled. I mean, they're absolutely beyond that to to have gotten the call from Rick, and I was on the call when they when they we told Brandon, and we called Brandon on Sunday and then and then they talked to the other guys, and then I had a chance to talk to orangg and Reggie, and I talked to Lou this afternoon. Uh, they're thrilled to death about it. And that's that's the thing that really makes it extra special. Not only are they deserving, but there are also people who genuinely wants to be a part of it. And and and how excited a guy like Lou. You know, it's hard to excite Lou, because Lou's been around the block a few times, but he was he was struck dumb almost by the fact that he was going in. And he talked about his wife Anita, breaking down and shedding tears when she found out during the call. And when I talked to him today, he reiterated those things. So I just think it's a it's a win win Situationally, they are they deserving, but they also are truly looking forward to being here with their families when they're inducted in April.
Speaker 3: You've been around so many managers. Marty obviously Sparky one of the most impactful managers on this franchise. I feel like there are very few that can make the lasting impact on a franchise as a manager in just three years. The way Loupenella did talk about just his mark on this franchise and what he means here.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing I was impressed so much about, and I'd be I'm going to be transparent as I normally am. He's my favorite wretch manager that I've ever been associated with. And people say what about Sparky. And Sparky and I had an incredible relationship, but overall Lou was just not only was he a damn good manager, but he was a joy to be around. He wore his his you know, his emotions on his sleeve, and the players knew that. He told them the first day in spring training in nineteen ninety in Plant City, Florida, you guys are good enough to win everything, and I'm not going to stand for a damn thing less than everything you've got. And if I don't get it, then you're going to hear from me. And I really believe that a lot of the success he had was slightly borne out of intimidation because he was a tough guy. I mean, as he was coming up in Tampa, Florida. He was a tough guy and they knew that, but he also had their backs. You know, the games that he was ejected from, he was incredibly emotional. He was genuinely emotional. He felt like they had been short changed and whatever the situation was going to be. And not only that, he came from the American League that had never been associated with a National League club when he took over this team in spring training of ninety for the first I don't know, two weeks, three weeks whatever have been of the spring training games and even into the early days of the regular season. He had an all nationally coaching staff who was the greatest that coaching staff I've ever been around, and he allowed them to pretty much make determinations based on the way the game was played in this league until he learned. He didn't come in here saying I know, I've got all the answers, I don't need the ELP. He just embraced this whole situation, and he did it with such great class and dignity and at the same time a bull in the china shop attitude toward the way the game should be played. He had the whole package I mean, I'm thrilled that he's going to be in.
Speaker 4: You had a really good relationship with Brandon Phillips, and I think that relationship continues to today, maybe even more so once he retired. Let's face it didn't always have the rosiest of relationship with all players.
Speaker 3: Why Brandon Phillips.
Speaker 6: He's one of the few, but I did. I had a great relationship with him, and and you know, I talked to him a number of weeks ago about the possibility that this thing could happen, and I would be less and honest if I didn't say that Brandon had some issues with some people when he was here who are no longer here. And I'm not going to name names. There are people who know who I'm talking about. And so I think he has a tendency to hold grudges and he's he's come around of the point now where he understands how important this is for him. And I think for a number of reasons, one of which is one of the main priorities to be considered. He was an incredible fan favorite, and he was that way because he was a fan of the fans, and he gave back to them and their adulation and I said, these people that followed you all those years knew how wonderful you were to them, and how important you were to the franchise, and how popular you were. It would be a little bit wrong to have an opportunity to go into the Retch Hall of Fame and then you don't want to come here. And we had a great We had a number of conversations on the phone. I have great respect for him. If you're going to assume, for the sake of argument, that Joe Morgan is the best second basement of the history of this franchise, then I can promise you that Brandon Phillips is number two. So this is where he belongs. He belongs in the Reds Hall of Fame. And I think it's going to be a great night for he and his family, just like it's going to be for the families of Sanders and Harangu and Vanilla.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't wait. It's going to be an unbelievable gallup coming up at the Convention Center April twenty six. Of course at the ballpark on the twenty fifth, Marty. Always great to hear your voice in chat with you. Thinks for the time, appreciate it and let's talk again soon.
Speaker 6: My pleasure, Tommy, thank you, Thank you, Jim.
Speaker 3: That is Martin Brenham in the Hall of Fame, voice of the Cincinnati Reds for forty six years, joining us on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF. Give the gift of Reds Baseball this holiday season with Red's Holiday Flex Ticket vouchers. Your favorite Reds fan, we'll get a choose which games they want to see in twenty twenty six. Visit Reds dot com slash Holiday for details plenty more to get to a couple more Hall of famers to talk to. Aaron Harang also elected into the Reds Hall of Fame today. He will join us when we come back a little bit later in the show. Reggie Sanders also elected to the Reds Hall of Fame. This is the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League, presented by UDF Live the bed MGM Sportsbook, inside Tom's Watchbar at the Banks on the Reds Radio Network. Just try to get comfortable, you know, Jimmy, Just kind of get comfortable.
Speaker 7: Utter.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by you d F Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders, and lou Patinella have been selected as the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame's Class of twenty twenty six. The four inductees will be honored April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth during the Reds Hall of Fame Induction Celebration presented by PNC. Get your tickets for this historic weekend now at Reds dot com slash tickets, and Aaron Harang joins us. Now, Aaron, thanks so much. First things, first, congratulations and I'm sure you are just thrilled beyond words about this, and this is an incredible honor. What was your reaction when you first heard that you were going into the Reds Hall of Fame?
Speaker 7: I was, how are you guys?
Speaker 3: By the way, great doing wealthy.
Speaker 7: I was very very shocked, very surprised, but very honored. I mean, it means a lot, and being able to be a part of this franchise's history has it's a It's an amazing, amazing honor to get to be a part of this.
Speaker 4: You had a let's see, six was a five point three war. Oh seven six war struck out two hundred and sixteen batters, two hundred eighteen batters. What year for you stands out the most in a red uniform.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously those those two were major, major years for me. Uh it was, But leading up to that, it was it was an important There was a big opportunity for me to come to Cincinnati, obviously in a rebuild stage, and be given the ball and told go hit your pitch count. You got to you gotta work out of situations and we'll come get you when your pitch counts up, and you know, really made me have to.
Speaker 1: Pitch.
Speaker 7: You know, I was never looking over my shoulder on who's coming in to bail me out. It was just, hey, go get them. And you know, I don't think if if I didn't have that opportunity, you know, it might have been a whole different you know, it might have been a whole different type of pitcher. So to be able to get that opportunity to really build and gain my own confidence those first couple of years in Cincinnati and learn the ballpark and learn the nuances of it, and you know, I think, you know, those first couple of years were key factors in what gave me that ability to be that much better in you know, six and oh.
Speaker 3: Seven let the team in strikeouts four years in a row. You had three straight seasons though I think this is the strikeouts are great, the wins are great, but the thing that stands out is the three straight seasons where you had more than two hundred innings pitch. Now, you're not that far removed from the game of baseball, but it seems like two hundred innings a year is very far removed from the game of baseball for a starting pitcher. Uh, you talk about getting to your pitch count, but but obviously you were doing more than just reaching your pitch count. You wanted to make them count. What was the key for you to be a workhorse be able to log as many innings as you were able to year in an year out.
Speaker 7: You know, I think the biggest things for me was just I mean, obviously I had to figure out what type of picture I was. You know, you could be that type of pitcher that goes in and you know throw, you know, throws your pitches as hard as you can all the time, and not really learn how to control your body and know when to back off to hitters. Do you know they always said you pitch in and out, up and down in front to back on the plate, and so being able to add and subtract velocity when I wanted to. When I knew, you know, I didn't always have to go as hard to be able to get you know, uh make a you know, get make effective pitches. So their swings weren't as h weren't as solid. I mean, you know, I think being able to do that was a huge factor for me.
Speaker 4: You started, correct me if I'm wrong. I think those five straight opening days, and you know how big opening day is here in Cincinnati. What did those honors mean to you?
Speaker 3: And was it five straight?
Speaker 7: It was five straight, yes, and it was a huge honor.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I think the first year was a definite shock, very very nervous doing it. Obviously we also had the President coming in to throughout the first pitch. Yeah, you know, you're you're you really have to adapt. There's so much you know, change that first day on opening day, there's so much going on. Things can get delayed.
Speaker 3: You know, you have.
Speaker 7: To start your program earlier. You know, when you have guys that are very routine oriented that they can struggle with that, you know, you have to so you have to learn how to adapt your routine around the timing of the game and what's going on pregame, and you know, I mean that once you kind of learned that, it helps out. But yeah, being able to start those five five opening days in a row was a definite, definite honor for me and something that I really took pride in doing.
Speaker 3: You talked about coming over to a team that was rebuilding, you turned into a workhorse. How much did you have to try to help young pitchers along along the way as well as you know, be be the anchor atop the rotation.
Speaker 7: You know, you just you kind of went out and you you went about your I just went out and went about my business. And you know, yeah, I would talk to the guys in between starts, and I would I was constantly watching how uh you know, they would do things. If if I saw, you know, something, I would just hey, some of advice might be to try, you know, change this up or you know, but it wasn't trying to change them. It was just like, hey, this is I've had success with this. You know, it might be something to think about. And you know, so you're always there to and you're always there to answer questions, you know, and he always wanted the younger guys to come up to you. And I mean I learned from the guys ahead of me, you know, I learned from the veterans that were around, that had done it, had been in starting roles, maybe had been moved to the bullpen or to close the role, but their experience helped me out. So I always tried to use my experience to help the younger players out.
Speaker 3: Aaron certainly appreciate the time, thanks so much, and most of all, congratulate.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you, guys. I appreciate it, and uh, I know, uh, I know where my me and my family are definitely looking forward to coming back out to Cincinnati and April and uh to be a part of this. So it's truly an honor for me.
Speaker 3: Awesome man, Well, we look forward to seeing you in April and enjoy it. Man, congratulations and things for the time.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks guys, take care, really good picture, better human being awesome dude, Yeah, yeah, really good stuff.
Speaker 3: Then saying a lot, We're back with Reggie Sanders. Next, it's the Budweiser Red's Hot Stove League, presented by you df Live bet MGM Sportsbook Inside Thimes. Watch Bartha Banks on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back in It is the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League, presented by you DF and we continue along. Now, this guy's career started as a seventh round pick out of Spartanburg Methodist College in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He would go on to become an All Star and have a decorated, decorated career, spent several years in a Red's uniform, eight of them to be specific, and now he is a Reds Hall of Famer. His name Reggie Sanders. Reggie, congratulations. What was your reaction, we asked, Aaron, We'll ask you the same thing, what was your reaction when you found out?
Speaker 8: Well, thank you and thank you for having me on.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was so.
Speaker 8: Rick Walls, you know, gave me a call a couple of days ago and he said, a reg, this is a great call. And before I, before I, you know, make this announcement, I want to patch someone in from our committee.
Speaker 3: And so which he did.
Speaker 8: And then he Rick went and said, a reg, we long overdue. We would like to, you know, induct you into the twenty twenty six Hall of Fame class and you are honored to We're honored to do so. So yeah, it was a it was a It brought so many emotions, uh, you know, through my through my veins. But I'm happy to, uh to call myself a Hall of Famer for the.
Speaker 4: Red You were with the Reds early to mid nineties, and you look down the rosters of those teams, and boy were there's some characters and some great players. When you're asked about memories of teammates, what comes to mind, what guys?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so yeah, there are so many. The one that I always talk about is Glenn Braggs. Glenn Braggs was a guy that when I first got called up, he gave me a car to drive, he let me stay in his apartment, he bought me five suits. So he really treated me like I was, you know, his brother. And then you fast forward that to Eric Davis, which is this is a pretty neat story. So when I got called up for the first time and Eric got as everybody know, Eric got hurt in the ninety World series, and then he got hurt again in nineteen ninety one of August, and so that's when I got called up. And so The very person that I saw when I entered the Red Door was Eric Davis and he said, Hey, reg I was waiting on you, and I just want you to know that we are happy to have you here. Don't worry about me. I will be okay. But anything that you want, I would take care of you. And so that was such a you know, leadership powerful moment that Eric Davis was able to pass the torch on in a positive way.
Speaker 3: I mean, great, that's incredible. I mean, you're coming up with the guys, he gets hurt and then he's there to look out for you. I mean, that's that's that speaks volumes to a guy's character, doesn't it.
Speaker 8: Absolutely? And you know you take that to Barry Larkin. Barry Larkin, you know, we became really close when I was with the reds Our families would you know, travel together. We would spend a lot of time at each other's house and so yeah, So, I mean there's so many and then you think about, you know, from a manager standpoint, Davy Johnson, who you know, really was like a father figure to me at a young at a young age, you know, kind of navigating the journey from a from a young standpoint, and really, you know, took me under his wing and really showed me what a young player should do, how he should act, and how he should carry himself, all the way down to Jack McKeon as well. And so there's so many people that I'm probably forgetting about, but you know, those are the ones that I can recall right now.
Speaker 3: Well, those were impressiable years for you. I mean, you you broke into the big leagues. Obviously, we said the Reds drafted. You broke into the big leagues. With the Reds. You had some incredible players around you. Of those guys, who would you say really kind of helped bold who you were as a player. I mean, you went on to have a nice career, you want, you won a World Series later on with Arizona, but you had a seventeen year major league career, get two seventy one, and your career by the way as a Red specifically, who was it that you feel like kind of helped mold you as a player.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I think it's a I don't know, I mean it's a culmination of a lot of just things, you know, I you know, I think from a foundational standpoint, like my mom My mom had me when she was seventeen years old, so you think back then they had to you know, go to work, and so she didn't graduate high school and so she had to go and put food on the table, as well as my father, who did the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: And so I think it was under that.
Speaker 6: Spirit of.
Speaker 8: Learning how to fight, continuing to move forward through adversity. I think they really gave me the foundation of that.
Speaker 3: But then, as you know.
Speaker 8: You think about from you know, from growing up at the Boys and Girls Club and starting you know, my career there and the impact that the coaches had for my development as a young player all the way into college. You know, when I think about, you know, my college coach at the time when I was at that age, I didn't even know that I had the talent that I had, but he saw something in me at Spartanberg Methodist College for me to come and play, you know, for that school, and then transport for the Reds, you know, drafting me and then Don Mitchell and then Don Mitchell seeing something in me, the Reds seeing something in me, and then ultimately I started to see it in myself and then this things just started to kind of snowball from there.
Speaker 3: Reggie certainly appreciate the time and really look forward to seeing you in April at your induction ceremony here in Cincinnati. So thanks for the time and again, congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 8: I appreciate that so much.
Speaker 3: Guys. That is Reggie Sanders one of the newest members of the Reds Hall of Fame, and boy, it is a short list of all the players in Red's history that have more stolen bases and more home runs than Reggie Sanders. Very well deserving for his induction and his selection to the Reds Hall of Fame. The induction coming up the weekend of April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth Big Ceremony at the Convention Center, with the gallap coming up on April twenty six We'll wrap up the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF here from the BETMGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bart the Banks. Next on the Reds Radio Network, Welcome back, Wrapping things up on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UGF Live the BETMGM Sportsbook, inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks. Be part of Red's history Tickets for the twenty twenty six Reds Hall of Fame Induction Gala on April twenty sixth at the CINCINNTI Convention Center are on sale now. Redsmuseum dot org. Join the Reds as they honor the Hall of Fames class of twenty twenty six. And Jimmy certainly great to talk with, Aaron Harang and Reggie Sanders, Marty Brenneman of course, with some great stories about Loop and Nello's very deserving and then Brandon Phillips. I was watching some highlights of Brandon earlier to tack him.
Speaker 1: I mean unreal.
Speaker 3: I mean I watched him a little bit from afar uh, but but getting getting a chance to watch him on a nightly basis had to be special.
Speaker 4: It was special because the he would make the spectacular play, I mean, behind the back flip was just like a flip, a normal flip for for other guys.
Speaker 3: Some of the.
Speaker 4: Plays that he made were just outstanding, had some flamboyancy to him. When he comes into town, I hope he doesn't come check me. People can remember that for some interviews, but it should be star studded because I'm sure his wife's going to be here too. Jade Cargill WWE World Champion Jade car Gill. Hopefully she doesn't give me a super X on the stage, but it should be good. I'm glad they didn't wait too long on Loop Panella. Well overdue there, and you know, I can't wait for the speeches. I'm sure Phillips speech is going to be off the charts.
Speaker 3: I mean, Loup Panella is one of the best characters in our game's history. Yeah, I mean when you think of like the gold standard for what a manager was, especially like in our when we were kids growing up, like Loop Panella was what you wanted your manager to be, no doubt.
Speaker 4: And it was unfair for the managers that came behind him because everyone wanted the Reds manager to be like Loup Panela and not everyone is like that or has that personality. But man, did he get the best out of his team just because he was so fire, he.
Speaker 3: Is so entertaining. Well, it was like what Marty talked about. Look, he set the standard right out of the gate. Look, this is what's gonna be expected of you do it or we're gonna have problems. Yeah, most ways for it.
Speaker 4: Great class, great, great class.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a lot of fun celebrating those guys coming up in April. That's all the time we have for this show. Big thanks to our guest today, Rick Walls, Marty Brennaman, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders. Big thanks to David the Armbruster are on site. Engineer Sean McMahon running things back in our network headquarters for Jim Day. I'm Tommy Thrall saying good night, have a merry Christmas. It's Jim and Mark Sheldon with you next week on Wednesday on the Budweiser redst Stovely. Good Night,