Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: It is Eddie and Rocky Show. Eddie's out. I'm alongside Jason Williams. And Jason, you brought this to my attention yesterday and I thought it was interesting, and uh so we're going to talk about it. I didn't know this. I've been a lot of folks that live in Cincinnati did not know this. But uh, there is uh you know, the new Convention Hotel, a big, big project right. Well apparently it's just I guess gone through a committee here. A proposal is going to add a one percent fee to bills at some downtown Cincinnati restaurants to help fund the new hotel. That's not just a dollar on you.
Speaker 3: It's a one percent if you're eating at a really nice restaurant, that's that's a chunk of change there. And why did I bring this to your attention, rock Because anytime there's an extra fee or a tax, it's raised. Man, and I learned the same things, especially on things like this. It's like and I know, like people will say, well, we did figure out how to pay for it. Uh you know, they'll say, this is a user fee. So yeah, I know, I know, I know what they're thinking. I know they who are the folks who are you know, who are the leaders who are thinking this are like, oh, well, out of towners will pay this, you know, it's like the hotel tax, like, well, those are mostly out of town, those are convention goers. Those are people coming in from uh, you know, Columbus to go to a Bengals game. Like they won't even notice it on their bill. And most people don't really notice these things. Yeah, I can kind of see the argument on both sides on this. Just so it's not an extra, it's not another tax. Well it's on you, and well it could be though. He's coming up here right uh. And then yeah, we're gonna bring on our good friend Jim mooreing. Of course we love him.
Speaker 2: He's an owner of purveyor, dominator of the Holy Grail. He's a good down he's good to us, Santa You, Cincinnati, there's no doubt about it. And Jim, welcome on the program, buddy, how are you?
Speaker 4: We don't gents on this snowy Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We're good. We are good. So now I don't I don't believe that this is going to affect your businesses because it's just a certain area. So the district boundaries where they're gonna potentially add this one percent taxes Central Avenue to Main Street and Third Street to Seventh Street. So I believe you're out of that, but I mean you've seen things like this, you know, kind of come your way and include you what's your thoughts on this?
Speaker 4: So you know we are not in this district, we're outside of it.
Speaker 5: But you know what, we we essentially have the exact same program that we did down the banks, but we did it voluntarily, So we essentially have a one percent you know, you can call it tax, you can call it a up charge, whatever you want to say. We enacted this back six years ago now, so in nineteen I think it was as a marketing aspect of it, and we did it as hey, we want to capture some dollars to market our area, get the exposure going.
Speaker 4: And you know, once we started doing.
Speaker 5: It, we realized that we had, you know, a very good synergy amongst all the businesses down there to enact a bunch of different things. A couple of them are you know, we brought the Saint Patrick's Parade back to the banks. We philanthropically will give money away to you know, the full of air plunge. You know, we spread it out amongst the things that we want to do. But there's also a marketing aspect to it, in a marketing arm that all of us embraced and said, you know, as one as the saying goes, you know, tides raise all boats.
Speaker 4: And what we wanted to do was elevate the banks. And how we enacted it is I would assume what these guys are going to try to do up there.
Speaker 5: We voluntarily decided, okay, we can either put it on a check or we just eat it. Some of us us, you know, being the holy Grail, we just eat it. We understand it to cost doing business. We approved that, we understood it. Other places didn't have that same luxury. And if you're a publicly traded company, I found out through this process you can't just quote unquote eat it. You have to be fully full disclosure.
Speaker 4: So they put it on checks.
Speaker 5: So some of the places down to the banks have to put it on people's check.
Speaker 3: I've noticed, I think you what's the yard house? I think puts it on there?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so your house a part of garden. They have to has to a couple of other ones.
Speaker 5: We you know, we understood what it was, know what it was, so we stopped, never passed it along. We just understood it as one percent that we think expands all the businesses down there, you know, for the hotel. I understand it, and I understand people's trepidation with it, but the reality is these businesses will expand if this project moves forward. There's a funding gap here, and I think there's been a funny gap for it for a while. It's innovative, it's creative, and depending.
Speaker 4: On what side you want to fall on, you can say, hey, yeah, you can.
Speaker 5: See it as another tax, or if you're a prospective business.
Speaker 4: Looking at it, saying, you know what, I think.
Speaker 5: The hotel, if it's two blocks away, three blocks away, associated with the convention center, is going to bring our business up another twenty twenty five, thirty forty percent or my businesses based on this, then it makes sense. So I think I think the voluntary side of this, to me makes all the sense.
Speaker 4: In the world. You know, on that standpoint, they're not they're not jamming it down.
Speaker 5: Anybody's broke the say hey you want to help out, help out. If you don't, don't we understand it and they already have some businesses committed.
Speaker 4: To doing that.
Speaker 3: Jim, that's good stuff, good perspective, and you know, not only I mean you've you you're you're one of the great business owners in downtown. With the holy Grail you've done. You've been working in downtown for a long time. You've seen, uh, with the work you've done over at the arena, you've seen anything and everything proposed. When it comes to these types of things, generally does you don't probably don't get a lot of pushback right from customers slash uh you know, uh, you know, I guess taxpayers or in this case it's be more customers, but there's probably not a lot of pushback right.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: You know, I think as we've seen creep and things.
Speaker 5: Coming at our back door get more and more expensive, yep, people start to look at it more and more.
Speaker 4: And that's you know, unfortunately happened over the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: But you know, we try to keep ourselves affordable, so we we're kind of a different business model. I think the higher end place is the ones where you know, to your point, I don't think anybody's going to notice that our five dollars beer you know is have we raised it?
Speaker 4: We went to five oh five for a beer. It's not like the old days.
Speaker 5: You know, when I first started in its industry at paddies, everything was cash.
Speaker 4: And you know.
Speaker 5: When you're at two dollars a beer and somebody had twenty dollars bill and you're giving them back, you know, seventeen, sixteen, eighteen dollars, whatever it is. People noticed it, I personally and my family. I was actually with my brother Mike, consistant multeen a little bit ago, and I was trying to give this analogy the younger set. These days, it's almost like the casino theory. You're right, casinos used to be cash. They went to chips. They went to chips because it's an inanimate object and you're placing that in front of you and you don't equate it to what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I certainly understand what you're saying. I think that I always make that argument for why I like to pay cash for certain things versus a car, because it does it doesn't feel real. It's like, well, sure, if it's ten dollars or twenty dollars, what's the difference. I'm just gonna be the same swipe that the pain, Yeah, the pain of actually pulling an extra ten bucks or twenty bucks out of my wallet, that'll actually hit you. So I guess my question for this instance, and we're talking about you know, there's some business is adding a one percent charge on their bill to pay for the convention Hotel if you live within this district's boundaries in some businesses. Again, according to this six downtown property owners in about twenty eight of their tenants have signed up and said, yes, we'll put that one percent charge on there. They'll have to disclose that, but if you live in that or your businesses within that area, you don't have to write. So technically you could enjoy the benefits of the hotel getting built faster and better without actually contributing to this.
Speaker 5: Right, that's correct, And I think one of the bigger drivers I saw that, you know, Steve Lofton over at the Aaronoff Center, agreed to put on a dollar per ticket.
Speaker 4: I think that's big, you know, I think that for the amount of people that they that they turned through there.
Speaker 5: But you have to, you know, from my perspective, if you want to see this hotel and the convention center, look the County and the amount of money that they spent on this is is mind boggling. But I think the driver to it is real. So if you have a business close by, specifically a restaurant, you know you're going to look at it and say, my business is going to grow. I want to do this right and you know, but it is voluntary. I get it, but it's not surprising to see the people who've already signed up for it are good stewards for.
Speaker 4: Our city to begin with.
Speaker 5: So you know, I literally when this came up, we were there's a text chain going on amongst us, so it's down the banks and my first thing was, Hey, you think we can do one of these for them?
Speaker 4: Re Ena and I got a bunch of thumbs ups, So you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's it's hey, if you're you want skin in the game and you want to be responsible and you want to drive something like this, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm gonna say it's the cost of business, but a lot of ways it's the cost of business. It's in the end. Do I think the's got the folks.
Speaker 5: Who are supporting are going to win without a doubt?
Speaker 8: Is it maybe a tack?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe it is a tax.
Speaker 5: I don't see it that way because of the way we do things, but you know, you could, you could, you could definitely say that that's the case.
Speaker 2: Jim Moore is our guest, the owner of the Holy Grailed Downtown, and I guess just to play the other side, Jim, I mean, your industry, in my opinion, has it harder than any industry out there, especially since COVID. I mean, it's it was you know, people can't you can't go and eat and rest your and then it was the price of food and the price of chicken wings, and then it was this. It was that. I mean, at some at what point or if you ever noticed at any point in your career a point where people are just like, you know what, that's it. I can't do this anymore. I can't do or you, as a business owner, say, got just every little add on you know that this fee, that fee. Is there ever a saturation point where people that you've seen us say, you know what, Nope, I'm not doing I'm not eating there, I'm not drinking there.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I think I think everybody in our industry is frustrated by it. You've watched your margins continually get crushed. You know, the old adage of you're chasing dollars to make pennies in the restaurant industry is true where it's really frustrating. It's an independent restaurant when you see the chain to have the buying ability and the buying power to be able to do the things that they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does get frustrating.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 4: You know, you're you're constantly combating.
Speaker 5: It on every level that you can, and you try to do everything you can and push every to every level that you can to make sure that.
Speaker 4: Your business is successful.
Speaker 5: And I would not I'd be lying to you if I didn't say, yeah, there's been more than a couple of times I'm like, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Gimeral? Oh go ahead, go ahead?
Speaker 3: No good, No, sorry, real quick, I want to ask you just what it was the last week, couple of weeks ago that there's an announcement of some an idea or a proposal to complete the banks and do other things. Not asking you to comment on that necessarily, but as a successful business that has withstood the test of time and all the challenges at the banks, what's the most important thing that needs to be built at the banks to then help sustain all everybody else, including Holy Grail.
Speaker 4: I would like there to be our priority number one, and I think the city understand that is security.
Speaker 5: Right now, hands down security, building wise, Anything that brings density to our area is fantastic, and it doesn't matter what that is. You know, there's different proposals. Unfortunately I wasn't in on any of those.
Speaker 4: I didn't get to see that or have input into that.
Speaker 5: I understand what everybody's trying to do, anything that they can do to bring density to the area.
Speaker 4: Sustainable density.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if that's apartments, I don't know if that's condominiums.
Speaker 4: I truly you know at once, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Had this happen prior to twenty twenty one to said off the buildings, we need more office buildings, We need the office tenants, get the density going. And obviously that is not the case these days, or at least you don't feel like it is unless you you know, you see a crower that's going back to work five days a week. Fifth third, you know that the companies in Cincinnati that are saying, hey, we understand we need a thriving downtown and to support that we're going to have our folks go back to work, you know, five days, four days a week.
Speaker 4: That's been great.
Speaker 5: To answer your question bluntly, anything that's sustainable that brings people down there, I think it's great.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the biggest, uh, I think factors for a man and a woman has a family is we want to make sure wherever we go it's safe. So that makes uh, that makes it tough to live there or you're visiting there, right right? Great stuff? Well, Jim, yeah, listen here. We really appreciate Jim Mourning, owner of the Great Holy Grail, and we'll talk to you to my friend. Thank you so much, Thanks Jim, Thanks Jim. Yeah, that's interesting. But yeah, I feel like there is a saturation point where you're like, you know what, just it's like any any time you go every election here, there's always some renewal, some tax you know, and you're like, Okay, this is great, love this, love that. But at some point you go, oh, it gets to be too much. It gets to me you want to just get too easy? Does it get too easy for the convention center stuff? By a thousand taxes, isn't it? Really?
Speaker 3: What is life in Hamilton County is we've gone along and for those who've lived here forever, you've you've seen that, you've lived it, you've died for it, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather. How are you looking?
Speaker 10: The u SEE Health Traffic Center u SEE Health's Weight Laws Center offering a surgical and medical deb city care and expertise called five point three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. Couple of accidents on seventy five first north bounded Zer Charles, thanks for the tip on this. We've got police on the scene. And then seventy five south there two seventy five vehicle on the left shoulder, it's in the snowy median. Here, good news. Seventy five north approaching twelfth Student, Kentucky. That problem has cleared. We have picked up that problem. On two seventy five westbound before seventy four semi trailer on its side in the median and the clean up continues there and southbound seventy five As a Charles to the Brent Spence Bridge is about a five minute trip right now. I'm Rick Shrapnews Radio seven hundred double d well.
Speaker 2: W Forecast tonight mostly cloudy with a low of twenty and then tomorrow mostly sunny with a higher thirty five, and then Wednesday night a slight chance of some more snow overnight partly cloudy, a low of twenty five. Right now, it just thirty one News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: What is sports? Sports is anticipation. It's why the two weeks before the Super Bowl is so hard. It's why we sit in the car and listen to the bottom of the night when the bases loaded. It's why we get so worked up for rivalry games. Sports is anticipation. That's why we love it.
Speaker 12: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Okeef's Working Hands hand Cream.
Speaker 14: That number on your dash says it's freezing and your dry winter hands. They agree, Oh Keef's Working Hands, the hand cream and the green package instantly relieves dry cracked skin. Winter's tough, but your hands don't have to be. Oh Keith's Working Hands.
Speaker 2: Texting rules are recurring.
Speaker 6: What to me it takes?
Speaker 15: Marketing messages, spcage frequency, very sussage data reads we apply, apply help for help or stop to opt out?
Speaker 2: Are you drinking too much? Is alcohol affecting your relations? Hundreds of inches of snow, everyone's trapped in their house, accidents everywhere? Or maybe not. Maybe it was just kind of.
Speaker 3: Like a normal no bread and milk at Croker exactly, people are rationing water?
Speaker 2: Are such website and someone who I think feels the same way as we do, and she, of course is the queen of since then media, of course is the one you only Tanya or Tanya, me and Jason saw your your post on what was I either extra Instagram there about how you know, everything was actually okay and we're going to get through this with the snow, right?
Speaker 16: It was fine? Fun in the morning.
Speaker 17: Was it fine at six in the morning, seven in the morning, at eight in the morning, was it fine?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 16: Probably not ten am?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fine.
Speaker 17: Yeah, And so I hope all those kids enjoyed that fun day, because my goodness, it.
Speaker 16: Could have been to two or three hour delay.
Speaker 3: So whatever happened at the two hour delay, because schools have apparently unlimited amounts of those, but uh, we just we've just forgot about using those.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I don't think I think that that is not I like, I don't feel like they do that anymore. Like a one hour of delay at two or delay. I felt like that was such a thing. I would wait up and listen to the radio. Oh please, let's have an hour delay.
Speaker 16: I mean, while I'm staying up two hours later, just to hear if it's happening. And you know, but I don't feel like it happens how much anymore.
Speaker 17: I may be wrong, but I just don't hear about It's usually, well, we're just canceled, we're off. I don't even know are they even doing like online school when they're off now?
Speaker 3: Or my kids are sled riding sled and went to Chick fil a and now they're going back out. Oh yeah, it's there's no school.
Speaker 16: It's a big doing. Okay, So you guys are kids school age kids. I don't anymore.
Speaker 17: Do you look forward to them? I mean, you're going to work. But is it like, oh great, this is so fun for them, or is it.
Speaker 2: Like, oh god, come on, I think look every every great one swan. I think it's cool from that, like today was cool, like you know, because it was actually a good snow where they could sled ride and it wasn't like just miserable.
Speaker 16: Out there snowball snow correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, I pelted my kids with multiple of them before I left the house. But yeah, so I'm fine with it as long as it isn't all the time. And to your point, yeah, I wonder if is it like a bus thing where like the one two hour delay thing, as it affects the bust scene and they just sound heck with it, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 17: Maybe it messes up parents who have to get to work. They'd rather just feel like just cancel the day. I don't I don't know, Yeah, I know, like my coaker Adrian said that his son was outside playing this all day, and I'm like, well, he's going to sleep well to night and that is sort of a benefit. Don't you think they get some good fresh air running around in snow.
Speaker 2: It's like it's good. No, they will eat to night at whatever seven o'clock or so and boom be out, Tanya. Are we right night, guys?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are go ahead? Are we weaker on the snow? Like growing up? And I grew up in southeast Ohio in the foothills like windy country roads, so like when it's snow because I had to ride a bus for forty five minutes to school, so when it's snows, right, yeah, backwards, so when it's snowed there you got it because they didn't get some of our back roads for a while. But you know, we live in civilization here in Cincinnati, And uh, I mean, are we is it just my imagination? I did live in Minnesota for three years, and or are we just bigger whimps about it nowadays?
Speaker 2: Is it just me? Or is this a real thing?
Speaker 16: I mean I went to freaking Town High School?
Speaker 17: Okay, Yeah, so there were no like if there were buses to any town. I'm sure some kids road buses, but we didn't. We had to either walk or get a ride.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 16: It was just it's like a bedroom community. Wasn't that big, you know? And wow, we did not get snow days. I challenge anyone listening to me who grew.
Speaker 17: Up in that like Finnytown, Green Hills, that type of thing, all that area. And you know, I'm talking like late eighties, nineties.
Speaker 16: I don't think we got days off like they get now. Well, it's such a it was such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one that gets me now that we honestly never had is when it gets below a certain temperature they cancel school. That never happened. It could get down to zero. Yeah that I've seen that a couple of times in the last few years, where it's like, oh, it's uh, you know, it's like in the in the teens, So we got to cancel school? What on? In school's got heat?
Speaker 16: Going outside a lot? Well maybe they don't have heat.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 16: Oh no heat, get it. But I don't have heat.
Speaker 2: That would be weird. But the school is heat. Like, let him go to school and sit in a warm classroom and do their studies.
Speaker 16: Yeah, wouldn't that be a sutter thing? I don't know. I mean, look, I used to beg for snow days as a kid.
Speaker 17: I mean, you know the whole I was. I mean, we would just all we do is listen to the radio, hoping and praying, and it was so great. When you got a snow day, it was like just and you just watched reruns all day long and ate crummy food.
Speaker 16: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Well, so I don't blame these kids are being excited because I was excited as a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, anymore yeah, those and there's you do miss the the de pensive joy of like okay, you know my you know whatever, say it was you know, I don't know Saint James or something right, and like you're waiting to the asses and you're like, okay, come on, here we go. Then you don't hear like no, no, and now you are right right, yeah.
Speaker 17: You missed it, like because we were finish town and they were all on the hes and you're like, Harrison, oh gosh, I missed. I gotta listen all so another twenty minutes goes by.
Speaker 14: That's how it was.
Speaker 16: You listen for it. Now it's just you get a text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get Yeah, I got a text that like you know, five thirty am. And then a call and then another call and it's.
Speaker 16: Just like yeah, at some point, do you yell I know, I.
Speaker 2: Know I understand this, Tanya.
Speaker 3: Do you in the newsroom do you guys get blown up by still a lot of calls even though it is it's a lot of texts, and you do do you do the ticker and you are.
Speaker 2: There still people calling like hey is my school out?
Speaker 15: There?
Speaker 2: Is my kids school out tomorrow? Do people do that?
Speaker 16: You know? I don't know if that is the kind of call we get.
Speaker 15: It.
Speaker 17: Kind of call we get is like, oh, you don't have us exactly correct or something like that, you know, like can you.
Speaker 16: Make sure this?
Speaker 17: Or we get a lot of calls from and I get it like small businesses saying can you list you know, the ABC School of Dance, I'm just making this up? Is canceling it and we're like, we can't put everything up. So we tried, you know what I mean, But we try to as many as we can, and then like on air, we'll say like, look, most everything shut down, so call.
Speaker 16: Before you'd get in the car and go to your dance class or whatever it is.
Speaker 17: So but it is you know, as you know from being in a newsroom, it used to be insane amount of phone calls and he'd say, well, we have it on area right now, just tune in you'll see it. Or we would check for people all the time. But it was it was kind of crazy. But I don't feel like we get those calls as much anymore because it's just too technologically, you know, advance.
Speaker 16: Now I think everything is and isn't that better?
Speaker 17: I mean, you know, I I'm waxing poetic about the days when we start to weight up and listen to the radio.
Speaker 16: But wouldn't it be better to just get your text.
Speaker 2: And be like it's easier. Yeah, I guess of course we are, all, you know, just reliving the glory days when we were kids.
Speaker 16: But well I had to go to school. It was just terrible, right, just terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we're going to get a little more maybe Wednesday. But I don't think it's gonna be too bad, so hopefully. Uh No, I.
Speaker 16: Think i'd be okay, it's just might be cold. I get into the twenties and.
Speaker 2: Team canceled school temperature weather day.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting. All right, well Tan you listen. We appreciate your time as always on Tuesdays, and we'll talk to you soon. Thank you.
Speaker 16: Okay, guys, have a good one.
Speaker 2: Bye, Well we'll see you. And now, dude loving to death. But seg didn't didn't come in. He did, he worked from home today, but he is.
Speaker 15: He is.
Speaker 2: Report he has earned the right right because he's been here a long long time. But if there is one morsels snow, he is not coming in. That's just take it or leave it. That's how it goes.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, dude, I became I lived in, like I said, in Minnesota for three years writing for the Saint Paul Paper. I'll never forget two things. I was in the news first, the first five I went there. I moved there in the spring of what five, I think four. So then I'm in the newsroom and at that point there's still a lot of old newspaper guys and there, crusty old like dude, the other stereotypical a.
Speaker 2: So whatever it was.
Speaker 3: It was maybe this October and like I look out the window and like it's just snowing like crazy, and I was like, oh, well it h oh it will it stick? And this guy goes, it's everything sticks here, dude. And then like the next the next time, like there was this massive snow when I was at home. I walked out of my apartment. There were I'm not kidding you, there were more people out than there were when it was you know, seventy two and sunny a couple months earlier. It wasn't. I mean, they love it there. They know how to clean the streets there too. First and only time I've ever seen people wear actually literally snow shoes just walking around.
Speaker 2: Walking around Yeah, No, Minnesota. I I think for the most part people here know how to deal with that. And if you don't, you should, like we get enough snow where this isn't like some foreign subst It's like when I lived in Nashville, it would snow like every couple of years, and then people would freak out, and rightfully so. But yeah, Minnesota, buddy, it's cold and snows a lot up there. You better be ready. Yes, let's go in Jeck some traffordan weather.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: From the UC Health Traffic Center. The UC Health Weight Loss Center offer a surgical and medical to b city care and expertise called five win three ninety three, nine twenty two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. On seventy five southbound er two seventy five accident Town the left shoulder cars in the media here and then we have the accident on seventy five northbound before Sir Charles how that's taking up the left lane. We're seeing Delason near the Breach Spence Bridge. With this breakdown reported on seventy four west bound approaching Rye Bolt. It's on the right hand side, right shoulder. It's a vehicle that has been pushed to the area after an earlier crash. Now two seventy five west bound before seventy four left lane taken up and that is a semi trailer on its side in the median and cleanup continue seventy five north after seventy four break down on the left hand side. I'm Rick Sprent, producer Radio seven hundred double do well W.
Speaker 2: In the forecast Tonight mostly cloudy with a low of twenty and then tomorrow mostly sunny with a higher thirty five, and then Wednesday night a slight chance of some more snow. Overnight partly cloudy, a low of twenty five. Right now just thirty one News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Apollo Home, your source for plumbing, heating, and air and electrical.
Speaker 19: Get ready for reliable home comfort in any season with Apollo Home.
Speaker 2: For a limited time get a twenty nine dollars h Back to now from William's coming up after the four o'clock news, we have Ron Glasgal gonna join us. He's a financial strategist talking about how you know, younger people anymore aren't even you know, looking to try to buy a home. It's they're putting their money in the stock market. Is that a good thing? Is that? I think it's bit's interesting. So we're going to talk about it with him. But have a couple of minutes here, Jason, I wanted to give a shout out to my boy, my dog Elvis. Okay, and this is unbelievable. If you follow me on social at Rocky Boyman fifty and at Rocky Boyman in ESPN on Instagram. Sixteen years old. Wow, a Golden Retriever is sixteen years old. I mean, he just keeps going and he is I'd say he's close to the end. But I thought, me and my wife thought he's close to the end for three years. Yep, you know, and he he you know, he doesn't move around hardly at all, but you know he does enough. And he's he's mostly blind, mostly deaf, but he still hang out, hangs out and does okay, and you take him for a walk and walk around a little bit. So, uh, I mean, a true miracle dog, A true miracle dog. I I again, I posted a picture of him today on his sixteenth birthday. I look back through my pictures and it's like last year and the year before and the year before and the year before I have a picture with him. Think that the last. Yeah, I'm like, no, this might be the last picture I take with Elvis. And here we are, like four years later. I mean, a truly miracle dog heading down to the BMV to get his license. Yeah that's it. Yeah, that's it. Wow about birthday. So, I mean, just to put in perspective, I got him right after I retired I and so I played my last game January first of twenty ten, and I got him like two weeks later. So I always always backtrack his birth because usually pick up a puppy at like what six seven, between six and eight weeks, so I was that day. His birthdays around December first, right, so that's when we always celebrate it. So he is like my last connection to life before I knew my wife and kids yep, which is pretty cool. And he, I dud was there for me when you know you're making the transition and things ain't going that great and.
Speaker 3: Uh my boy, i'd kind of dog like a dog that got me through. And you know, I had him before wife, two kids, and yeah, we put him down in twenty eighteen. But Chocolate Lab who's twelve and so I can relate that, you know that was got you some times there.
Speaker 2: You know it's just you and him. It's no doubt. Well, Happy Birthday to the King and how the News seven hundred WLW News, Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 20: News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: Talking money. The full rollback this year means just partial next year. With the four o'clock report, I'm Jack Crumley breaking now. Hamilton County commissioners met today finalizing the decision about how much of a property tax rollback or PTR homeowners are going to get next year in the deal that pays for the Stadium's County administrator, Jeffaludo, we would.
Speaker 21: Prefer to recommend a full PTR every single year. However, our primary concern has been ensuring that the county's general fine, which pays for sheriff's deputies, election workers and I'm one one operators, does not ultimately need to support the operations of Paper Stadium or Great American Baulpark, especially when the general fund is as strained as it is.
Speaker 13: He says, because the full rollback of thirty percent was given this past year, the reserves and the fund are now under fifty percent. To get them back up. Aludo says four and a half percent is all he can recommend.
Speaker 22: Commissioner Alisha resee, if you're fighting for the Bengals to keep their commitment, I'm fighting for the taxpayers to keep their commitment. It was irresponsible to give a commitment to the homeowners that it was an irresponsible commitment.
Speaker 2: To give to the stadium.
Speaker 13: She's now introduced a county wide petition for people to voice their support for the full rollback if that's what they support, though Reese hasn't said how both the stadium fund and the full rollback would be paid for. The other two commissioners voted in favor of giving back four and a half percent next year, with hopes of more in years to come. Reese will be Scott Sloan's guests tomorrow morning on the Big One. Take a look now Now after a rough morning, it's time for the drive home. The latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 10: From the UCE Health Traffic Center. You see health Some weight loss center offer a surgical and medical deb city care and expertise called five one three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three. And we have the Southtowns on seventy five. This is north bound before Zer Charles. The left lane blocked with a crash and the accident down seventy five south near two seventy five is on the left shoulder cart into the median, and we have two seventy five west bound before U seventy four with the accident. Here in the left lane, a semi trailer is on its side in the median breakdown on seventy four westbound approaching by bolt is off of the right hand side. In seventy five north bound after seventy four breakdown and the left lane is blocked. Southbound seventy five from Western Avenue to the Brench spends about a five minute trip. Rick sh REMP News Radio seven hundred doub d WALWD seeing.
Speaker 13: Backups because of reported crash westbound two seventy five just before seventy four.
Speaker 2: You're on the breaks. Back to Ronald Reagan now.
Speaker 23: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 13: Well, the worst of the nasty winter weather is over for now anyway, mostly cloudy tonight, all low down to twenty degrees. It'll be sunny tomorrow with a high of thirty five. A slight chance of snow tomorrow night, then Thursday gradually turning sonny with a high right around the freezing mark. We're looking at a little bit of a warm up for the weekend, but staying in the thirties. Great art right now showing clowns in the tri State. It's twenty nine degrees. News is the Service of low te Center. We just got word from odd about some short term closures that are going to happen on Ronald Reagan this afternoon and this evening for Duke Energy to perform some emergency repairs. Starting in a half hour at four thirty, Ronald Reagan's going to be closed in both directions at US forty two Reading Road in East Galbrith for up to fifteen minutes. More closures are slated to happen after seven o'clock this evening. O DOT says they'll be kept to fifteen minute intervals. By all accounts. The City of Cincinnati's response this morning the snow was a big improvement from January.
Speaker 24: This time. In January all of us were getting text you know, complain and complaining, and I have to tell you, while we're sitting here, I got a text from somebody, a resident literally sent me a video and he said, for all the complaining I did last year, I wanted this year positive city news, city Platter Street this morning huge improvement.
Speaker 13: Councilman Mark Jeffries, speaking today, as the new Department of Public Safety director reported to council, Mark Riley set up weather stations in different parts of the city and he consulted with cities like Denver on best practices for dealing with the snow. The snowfall measurement at CVG for this morning four point three inches of accumulation. That's a new record for this date on Wall Street near the closing bell. The Dow ending up two hundred and forty five points, Nasdaq up to eleven, and the S and P up twenty seven one hundred Well w sports.
Speaker 25: College basketball Tonight, North Carolina takes on Kentucky at eight on ESPN fifteen thirty. Also tonight, Indiana U East takes on Miami. It is East Tennessee versus Dayton and Number one Perdue takes on Rutgers College Football News Moller four star quarterback Mac Ponatowski plans to sign with Kentucky tomorrow. Was planning to wait until February, but moved up with Will Steins Higher Bill Dennison seven under WLW Sports.
Speaker 13: I'm Jack Crumley, our next update at four thirty and Breaking News Anytime News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This report it's sponsored by Land of Illusion, Christmas Glow inside, Jason Williams and Jason for the longest time in America. You know, one of the first things, especially a young couple, a young person would try to do as they were entering into adulthood was wanted to get a house. And that was kind of your next bag, you know, that was you put some equity into it, and you improved it, and then somewhere down the line you'd be able to sell that and make a little bit of more money and then they'd buy a bigger house or a different house.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't seem the case to be the case anymore for a lot of reasons. And uh, I'm reading a lot about how younger folks gen zers are foregoing home and ownership to invest in the stock market. On one hand, the stock market's been on fire for the most part, but it's also very volatile. So is this a good strategy or not? And join us right now. We're pleased to be joined by Ron Glass guy. He's a financial strategist. He knows all about such things. Ron, Welcome to the program. How are you?
Speaker 6: I do great? Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, so first question, navigate the big one here. Is this a trend that you would recommend to people put off home ownership and instead just throw your money in the stock market and see what happens.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 15: No, I mean the number one, everyone's different. Everyone has to write to do whatever they want with their money. So if someone wants to rent that invests, then then you know, I can make a case that that supruval are that makes sense for that particular person. But the thing that kind of concerns me about this is it looks like a lot of the gens years are getting going back to this sort.
Speaker 6: Of a day trading mentality.
Speaker 15: So I started my career at two thousand and one right at the very tail end of the tech wreck. If you remember that, and you know, it was devastating, and you know, people everyone thought that stocks just couldn't go down, particularly tech stocks, and everyone quit their jobs or day trading, and you know.
Speaker 6: Those things typically come to an end.
Speaker 15: So that concerned me a lot more is how they're investing. More than that they're investing versus buying home.
Speaker 3: And again, on the surface here I'm a novice on this stuff. But it's so you're gonna put money in the stock market as a gen zer, but you're not gonna buy a house, but you're gonna pour basically probably more money into rent. Right, it doesn't the math doesn't seem to at the end of the day, right work out long term for you.
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean how many twenty five year old kids plot out a self spreadsheet on.
Speaker 6: You know, the pros and cons of investing money? Right? You know I certainly didn't. So that's part of me.
Speaker 15: But another big piece of it, I think it's two fold. I think one, the cide MARKT has been on this terrific bowl run forever.
Speaker 6: It is led by the.
Speaker 15: Magnus at seven, and that generation really identified to those stocks in those companies. Also, it's very easy to invest. You know, when I opened my first investment town, I had to call make an appointment, go in see the guy open you know, thought the forums. Now you can literally do it on your phone in a few minutes and you're trading away. So I think that's one half of it. The other half is that real estate is getting out of control. You know, I moved from the Midwest originally very modest real estate, moved to Dallas.
Speaker 6: Area about eight years ago.
Speaker 15: And even here at that time, you know, Dallas was known as a moodus.
Speaker 6: Real estate market.
Speaker 15: Now it's it's gotten very expensive. So if you're twenty five thirty years old, you know, and your house is half a million dollars, that's part of about with one hundred grand for that twenty percent that payment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you nailed it right there. I mean, yeah, I remember, you know, twenty years ago you could buy a very nice house in the Midwest one hundred and eighty grand, brand new and had all kinds and I mean all kinds of features anything like that. And those days are are completely over on that point right there. Ron, Do you see housing prices going down at all or what?
Speaker 27: What?
Speaker 2: What's going to cause that to happen? Because I feel like it certainly needs to.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, you know it.
Speaker 15: Is sort of you're talking sort of longer term or shorter terms. So here in Texas we were in just the most booming of real estate markets. Tons of tons of people are moving down here as you know.
Speaker 6: The market was just crazy. Well that has called out quite a bit.
Speaker 15: It's it's pretty lean. I think it's a lot more lean than the media sort of let on kind of they want to protect it, and you know, everyone wants to beat their.
Speaker 6: Home prices up. But you know, I know a lot.
Speaker 15: Of realtors things have been extremely slow. Some people haven't even been getting a deal or maybe one deal a whole year. So houses are just sitting a lot longer. But that goes all on. Prices will come down. So but I think that's very much sort of a short term trend. And to find short term how you will one year, two year, or three years whatever. But over the long term, howsing is just going to continue to get more and more expensive. And a big reason for that is, you know, people in my industry and financial services have largely invested in commercial real estate historically, and.
Speaker 6: Now that's that's gone. Now they're going in and buying you know.
Speaker 15: Huge tracks and building residential homes and investment properties, and that sort of sets an artificial price that just is.
Speaker 6: It what it would be if it was the old way of the Bear Country.
Speaker 3: Well, and along those lines too, is you hear about a housing shortage?
Speaker 2: Number one? Is that? Is that really true?
Speaker 3: And number two, if it is, like, is that what's driving the cost of houses up higher? And is that what's keeping some of these gen zers away?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's all with real estate especially, it's always the location and the market. You know, for example, everybody said, you know, office was.
Speaker 6: Dead coming out of Covid.
Speaker 15: Well, if you look at Frisco, which is a suburb of north of Dallas, I think they're on pace in the next six or seven years. They have more office space than downtown Dallas has, which is insane to me.
Speaker 6: So location does matter.
Speaker 15: But you know it's the millennials, I think, you know, it's a combination of not having the down payment, it's you know, both of them sort of live in more major metros, you know, downtown versus the suburbs.
Speaker 6: They're younger, so you.
Speaker 15: Know it's kind of hard to buy to some of those hiring condos and maybe you don't want to be there forever. You just want to be there a couple of years. But then I think, you know, people read the headlines. You know, the interest rates just kicked up quite a bit. It was very unreasonable that I had a mortgage at three point one eight at one point. It's very normal that I have a mortgage at five of the quarter, although it's still stinks.
Speaker 6: I would much whether it be in my old grade.
Speaker 15: But you know, I remember, I want to say, my dad bought our house in eighty one for like eighteen percent interest. So these things do go up and down.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Ron Glasgow is our guest. He has a Glasgow Investment Solutions, He's a financial strategy and Ron, let me let me switch gears all this topic because I saw this and I thought it was amazing. I love your thoughts. So everything I hear, and frankly I believe is that you know, there's it's a tough economy right now. I mean, certainly go to the grocery store and things cost a lot more than they than they used to. But but then I see this Ron Black Friday, all right, Black Friday consumers spent eleven point eight billion dollars online, up nine percent from last year and then Cyber Monday, which would be this Monday or was that?
Speaker 6: Was that a couple of days?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Yeah, yeah, they spent fourteen point two billion dollars in one day. So what is it? Are we going to struggling economy ron or and and or do people have money to burn?
Speaker 15: What is it? Yeah, you know, it's something to figure out. I actually did a radio show last week and the study said that people are going to spend less money between Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 15: There was a several.
Speaker 6: Articles about it. Yeah they were wrong.
Speaker 15: I think I think people feel the pain or see the pain that they haven't felt it yet.
Speaker 6: That's not everybody. Some people had.
Speaker 15: But you know, I notice it too when I when I it's just me and my wife, we don't have kids, and we go to the store. I've never noticed the price of groceries. Have to sound snobby, I just you know, the only two of us. Now, it's it's mind bigling to me how much things cost. And I always go back to sort of remember that that goody jingle, A five dollars five dollars foot long on the subway. Yeah, I mean I don't know how much that how long ago that was, but.
Speaker 6: I just had to have my oil change.
Speaker 15: So I stopped at the subway for the first time in a long time, and the cheapest sub on the menu was a Vengeance out of ten dollars and twenty cents. So I can't remember exactly when that jingle stopped, but I know nobody's incomes doubled at that.
Speaker 6: Time, and that's the problem.
Speaker 15: But credit is very loose right now too, and so that's that's the real problem that people are just barming.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, that's good. What is going to bring prices down?
Speaker 6: Ron?
Speaker 2: I hate to say it. Is it a recession? Does this thing have to kind of blow up a little bit in order for things to reset a little bit? I mean, no one once that, But is that the thing that's going to get prices back under control?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I don't think prices ever get under control.
Speaker 6: You know, I did one.
Speaker 15: I did a media spot and that day in place you came in, it's three percent.
Speaker 6: It's got a three.
Speaker 15: Point one and the mark is hit it all time of high. It's in ridiculous if we nobody cares about that except heads like me. Right, So three percent, three point one.
Speaker 6: That doesn't matter to anyone.
Speaker 15: It's because you've had this massive run up and now it's under control, but you've already heard tug control on top of that run up, so people are gonna hurt. I don't see prices coming down significantly, especially with some of the tariff news. I think that could be beneficial long term to pining on the strategy, but the short term that's that's gonna certainly pitch a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you alluded to it there, And this is kind of as we talk about this, like it makes me wonder if people just, hey, are they Are they just willing to go in debt more nowadays, or be they're just willing to not save as much moneys now like you're.
Speaker 2: Going in debt and now it's like everybody is so big deal god question.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I mean even in my career, you know, starting in two thousand and one, I've seen a massive shift.
Speaker 6: On the thoughts on debt.
Speaker 15: Feel a lot of people just.
Speaker 6: Have it, you know, they do. Another thing is sometimes.
Speaker 15: People are taking money out that they earned. Real estate has been a huge boom, you know for years and years, So if people have their own home or they take a whole equity line or if they have the rental properties, certainly there's money there that they can access. And the stock market as well. I mean, basically everything is at an all time high, which makes it very difficult for someone like me. It's hard to know what to put people in interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, Ron, listen, we appreciate your time. Ron Glasgow. He's the head of Glasgow Investment Solutions. If folks want to find out more about you, Ron, where can they go?
Speaker 15: Yeah, this to my website use placed Glasgow Investments dot com. That's Glasgow like the City of Scotland Investments dot com.
Speaker 2: Ron has been great, Thank you, I thank you, guys, appreciate thank you. Ye Mosiah all it was good stuff. But yeah, I because I saw the same thing. All spendings going to be down this year and the amount of deals they're offering aren't as good as they've been in years past and break records.
Speaker 3: Oh and then last week, last wild week, Yeah you you, they were lined up on the highway right outside here to get into to go to Kenwood Town Center. I mean the traffic was backed up on seventy one at the exits. Yea to just go to ken like I heard there was a clip on like Jack Crumley had it. A guy who's saying, I've been coming this mall for years and never seen it this this busy ye wild.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Jack Crumley, he just passed me a note here a bit ago. I guess there's gonna be some intermittent closures of some highways here. So at approximately four thirty pm today, which is right now, Across County Highway will be closed in both directions between US forty two, which is Raiding Road and East Galberth Road for up to fifteen minutes while cruise supporting. And I guess an upright and existing pole that was there, So again rond Reagan Cross County Highway both direcon directions from US forty two Reign Road and East Galberth for up to fifteen minutes, So watch out for that. Let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather. How are we looking? That's right and well From the UC Health Traffic Center. UC Health's Weight Laws Center offer surgical and medical ob city care and expertise called five point three ninth three, nine twenty two sixty three ninth three nine twenty two sixty three now later around seven in that location round Reagan Highway between More between the Riding and gold Breath, they will have about three short term up to fifteen minute closures in both directions, so Cruise can transfer the power lines there at that location as well, so that'd be a little bit later tonight as well. Seventy five southbound approaching Cooper accident has two left lanes blocked, and we've got two seventy five westbound before seventy four our left lane taken up here to lay us back to Blue Rocke. That's about a twenty minute slowdown right now. Seventy five southbound near two seventy five acts down their shoulder and we have two seventy five sewing between US fifty two and five mile with the ongoing road to work here and that's going through the twenty second of the month. Supplant on delays. I'm rix Repduce Radio seven hundred w WELW and the forecast tonight mostly cloudy with a low of twenty and then tomorrow mostly sunny with a higher thirty five, and then Wednesday night a slight chance of some more snow overnight partly cloudy, a low of twenty five. Right now, just thirty one News Radio seven hundred WLW. All right, mister Pinney, I'm going to show you some images, and you tell me what do you see? Looks like a butterfly listening to the Scott's Loan show.
Speaker 4: And this one I.
Speaker 20: See a rocket ship, a rocket ship, yeah, bless enough for the planet Sloan I see.
Speaker 3: And this one that looks like a fish swimming in a mountain pond.
Speaker 6: Very good.
Speaker 28: Yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 2: Scott's Loan, please listen responsibly.
Speaker 29: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Might be best for us to discuss some strong meditations.
Speaker 19: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming.
Speaker 11: Good to Miami Valley Gaming nor December twenty seven for a chance to win a FOURD F one fifty thirty five cara must be twenty one. Ohio Problem Gambling Helpline one one hundred five eight nine nine ninety sixt six, or visit orcout Ohio dot com.
Speaker 9: Ready to take a break, visit Time Out Ohio dot com.
Speaker 30: I'm Mario Lopez here and right now Slowman's Home Security is offering a free home security system with free professional installation and twenty four to seven central station monitoring, all for just twenty four to ninety five a month for five years. All I got to do right now is dial pound two fifty in say keyword Slowman's. That's right, just twenty four ninety five per month to secure your home and family. Dial pound two fifty and say Slowmans to receive this limited time offer a free home security system and professional installation absolutely free. Your Slowman's Home Security system includes a touchscreen keypad, three door or windows sensors, a motion detector notification, and remote keypad access so you can check in anytime from anywhere. Can't put a price on a peace of mind. At Sloman's Home Security, we believe every family deserves to feel safe because protecting what matters most shouldn't be complicated or expensive. Dial pound two fifty and say keyword Slomans to get your free home security system and professional installation today.
Speaker 2: Don't get caught out in the cold. Call the prose that ox your gas today and schedule your Perversity of California, Berkeley, Van Habrit of the tree tops of an Oak grove on campus to protest the university's plans to demolish over an acre of forest to build a new athletics center, kicking off an epic twenty one month standoff. One of the longest tree sit ins in history lasted six hundred and forty nine days. What year was that, two thousand and six? You know, of course, tree sit ins are a form of civil disobedience. At his peak, the Berkeley protests saw over a dozen people on limbs of the groves oak and redwood trees. Volunteers and others would bring them food, water, and supplies. In addition to the tree sitters, the university face pushback from the Sierra Club in the California Native Plant Society. That's the thing about California. There's always a society, and there's always a division of a subdivision of a special interest NGO thing. Yes, and was being sued by three other parties, including the Berkeley City Council of the project's proximity to the dangerous Hayward Fault. According to one conservation analyst, the grove provided sustenance for over three hundred animal species, what like squirrels and rabbits and birds. A two thousand and seven, injunction by the Almeada County Judge paused plans to cut down the grove, but in July two thousand and eight, the court ruled in the university's favor, using police to begin arresting protesters to clean out these encampments.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The case was a Piota State appeals court in September of two thousand and eight refused to block construction that allowed the university to cut down the entire grove in the following three days. Within a week, the remaining four tree sitters were coached into climbing down and they were subsequently arrested. Finally, they gave it hell. You know what I mean. They gave it hell. Two years sitting in a what an effort tree. I like the wild Man's Cause much better. Yeah, very similar one.
Speaker 15: Here.
Speaker 3: They went up on a billboard until the until the Bengals won a game.
Speaker 2: None better. All right, let's good and get the news. Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 20: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred w l W Cincinnati.
Speaker 31: Emergency Utility working pacting rush hour traffic on Reagan. But the four point thirty report, I'm Sean Gaalbager Breaking Now. Oh NOD says to expect short term intermittent full closures along Ronald Breaking Cross County Highway this afternoon and evening while DOUK Energy performs the emergency repairs to a utility poll in lines. Right now, Ronald Reagan is closed both ways between Reading Road and East Galbert for fifteen minutes as they fix the existing poll. Then at seven o'clock this evening, there will be three short term closures about the fifteen minutes in both directions for CRUIS to transfer power lines over the highway. Motorists are encouraged to take alternate routes during these short term closures. Earlier today, Hamilton County Commissioners are proving up four and a half percent property tax rollback for twenty twenty six. Commission President Dinis Treehouse.
Speaker 32: We did thirty percent last year, and so now we're in a position to do less this year because we simply can't afford to bankrupt this fund, and so this four point five is very conservative. I would admit I am hopeful that if we were to pass that this year, we put ourselves in a position where we can once again gradually in reese the PTR.
Speaker 31: The fund that is used for maintenance on Great American Ballpark and pay Course. City was said to be now under fifty percent at least. J reesed the loane no vote and plans to file an online petition for property owners to sign if they support her motion for the full thirty percent rebate. Now the latives traffic and weather together.
Speaker 10: Well, do you see Health Traffic center and you see Health's Weight Loss Center offer surgical and medical obesity care and expertise called five one three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three ninety three, nine twenty two sixty three seventy five southbound, you're two seventy five accenter here on the left shoulder two seventy five west Boundary four seventy four crash with a left lane block. That's a semi trailer on its side in the median southbound seventy five approaching Cooper. Two lanes are blocked and you're laying bank to Glendale Milford being then on Ronald Reagan Highway between Writing and gold Breadth, we do have the rontal Ringe Cross County Highway temporarily shut down in both directions Between Reading and gold Breath. Crews are uprighting and supporting a damage utility fold. Then later tonight around seven they will have three short term up to about fifteen minute closures in both directions so Cruiz can transfer the power lines on State Route one twenty six my Rix ren for news Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 20: Ladies forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 31: We will see a mostly cloudy sky tonight to low down to twenty mostly sunny Wednesday highs in the mid thirties, partly sunny Thursday high of thirty one, cloudy and currently twenty nine degrees. News Service Upplot Center. The tri State seen a new daily record snowfall CVG, reporting four point two inches of snow fell overnight, which passes the previous record of two point two inches set on this day in nineteen twenty nine. The City of Cincinnati scene its new snow removal plan put into action. Mark Bridley, who was hired to head up the city's public services department, said weather stations have been established in every neighborhood to monitor conditions, which led to a quicker response to snow fells.
Speaker 7: Given us a visual at those locations we get actually from our phone see what the royal conditions are and also see how traffic is smoothing, because we want to make sure that the roads are passable.
Speaker 31: The city has also introduced a new live snowplow tracker, which Riley says experience some technical problems as the server cannot handle the large number of people trying to access it. Riley did note that old primary roads in Cincinnati retreated when he was eighteen years old. Ohio U S Senator in Bernie Moreno, who was born in Columbia, gave up dual citizenship and announces Columbian citizenship. Moreno now proposing to build up an end dual citizenship, forcing US citizens who are currently citizens of other countries to make a tough decision within a year, saying in the statement that if they want to be Americans, it's all or nothing. This could complicate matters for President Trump's family, as the first Lady and her son Baron and their son Baron are both reportedly citizens of both the US and Slovania.
Speaker 20: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 25: College m mascot all tonight in North Carolina to take on Kentucky at eight on ESPN fifteen thirty. Also tonight Indiana U East takes on Miami it is East Tennessee versus Dayton, and Number one Perdue takes on Rutgers College football news. Moler four star quarterback Mac Ponatowski plans to sign with Kentucky tomorrow. Was planning to wait until February, but moved up with Will Steins higher, Bill Dennison seven hundred w WELW Sports.
Speaker 31: Final numbers on Wall Street Today at the doll up one hundred and eighty five points, Nastak Prize one hundred and thirty eight in the S, and p F seventeen. Our next update is at five o'clock. I'm Sean Gaalbager News Radio seven hundred W LWM News.
Speaker 33: Radio seven hundred WLW, and iHeartRadio Station Guarantee Human seven hundred WLW HI heard radio texting.
Speaker 13: Roles and recurring on a many text marketing messages, Message frequency varius, message data reads may apply, apply help for help or stop topped out?
Speaker 12: Are you drinking too much as alcohol affecting your relationships?
Speaker 15: Could?
Speaker 2: J Walker MC news Radio seven hundred WLW. I'm over in the top of the I think we're gonna.
Speaker 18: Do a weather topic and in light of the white death that we got last night, Jason, millions and millions of tons of snow that we had descend upon a tri state.
Speaker 2: We love a good weather story. Yes, we're get your thoughts on your stories on the worst weather you ever seen, but that'll be five o'clock. I did see this during the break here, Jason. President Trump has just announced quarany ud quote no more Somalions in the United States. He's done. Their country stinks, they contribute nothing quote unquote. I don't want them. Some say it's not politically correct. I don't care. I don't want them in our country. Their country is no good for a reason. Understanding Simulions ripped off Minnesota for billions of dollars. The welfare is like eighty eight percent, and you have some stats on that as well. How's how you really feel, President Trump.
Speaker 3: I think this is probably in the wake of the cabinet meeting today which Homeland Security Secretary Homeland Security Secretary of Christy Nome revealed in that cabinet meeting with President Trump that half of all Minnesotans have submitted fraudulent visa applications. I don't know if that's a typo or in the New York Post story or half of all folks who I don't know if that's half of all Somali of it, because it seems like that's a lot like half of everyone who lives in Minnesota. Anyway, that's what the story says, quote from Nome, quote, you told me to look into Minnesota and they're fraud on visas in their programs. Fifty percent of them are fraudulent, which means that wacko governor Walls either as an idiot or he did it on purpose, and I think he's both. Sir Nooam told the President and other cabinet members, he brought people in there illegally that never should have been in this country. Said they were somebody that they're not. They said they were married to somebody who was their brother or somebody else, Nome said. And then the story said that was a possible reference to accusations against the representative elon Omar squad member as we as well, well, who's a representative there in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there's a big what they call it, little mogadishue there in Minnesota. And this is all statistics and fact based, and you can't deny it. I mean enormously high unemployment rates there, okay, and it's long been a hot spot for like terroristic recruitment and things like that. And it's a community that has zero desire to assimilate into American culture, zero none. They don't want to, like, you know, learn the American way and learn the American And that's always been my biggest problem. Has nothing to new with skin color or anything like that, but if you come to this country, you should assimilate what it is to be American in the American tradition and the things that we do here and holidays we celebrate and things we find important and and all that. I always think, Uh, former Governor Honors Horzenegger says the best he goes, you got to realize because he's I think, does it the right way. He is not obviously a natural American citizen, but he says, look, if you were coming here, you're an immigrant. You are a guest. You're a guest in someone's house. So if I invite you into my home, or if someone comes in your home, they're expected to kind of go with the flow. Yep, Right, you don't walk in that into my house or your house or anybody's house and started saying, well, I don't like the couch over there, And I understand why you have that picture on the wall, and I understand why you guys are eating dinner at steven whoa, whoa, whoa. You're a guest here, you kind of just go along with the flow and you assimilate into how we're doing things here. That's always been been my thing. And I don't want any immigrant in here that doesn't want to assimilate into American culture.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the beauty of America is that we are. We are a country of immigrants in our generations of your family, my family, most people's family, you know, us from another country that can't be a taker.
Speaker 2: My grandparents weren't.
Speaker 15: Correct.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of these folks, you know, they're they're takers. They take and they don't want to assimilate in.
Speaker 3: And that problem that that right, And then if you throw on top of that that it's you know, you've and again this is the accusation against Walls, who I tend to think is not a good politician, and and who knows that you know, certainly some of this is political bluster and hyperbole.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 3: Like right where where is the I think the challenge with this is that you know you're you're abroad here. You know, you didn't you didn't come here illegally necessary obviously through the you know you you jut you went through the border. You came here as part of a program of that some politicians set up to eventually, you know, have have a community of folks from some country, uh, whatever country that is. And but then you wonder like where where where's the then process of becoming uh you know the way you said assimilating into America, like American culture, you know, just learning you know, civic I guess basic one on one civics, which is an individual to America. You go through all those those courses that and again I don't I don't know, I'm not I don't know this well enough to know, like in terms of like when you bring is it refuge, Like I don't even know the whole story of this, Like the Somalians that went to Minnesota, like where you did were there then a whole was there a whole citizenship process when folks and again that there are other countries, when pockets around the country where people are from a certain country, whether you know they'll come to an area or neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Are they are there programs there's Italian parts of town and general ruts down and you can still celebrate your country. Are their programs?
Speaker 3: But are their programs in terms of American citizenship programs?
Speaker 2: Like there may be programs where they have no desire to to actually you know, partaken the like for real, and maybe you go through it, Okay, you read the paper. Sure, fine, right, there's no effort at all whatsoever, no effort to do assimilate and and then there's no desire to be a productive member of society. I mean, the welfare rates there and the amount of you know, the money that is spent and spent and spent and spent is crazy. And that's money that could be spent on people and hard times that are here in America that want to be a part of the you know, but a neat little hand up. I don't think anybody has any problem with that.
Speaker 3: And you think about I don't know, again, I don't know the statistics or whatever, but I assume there are tens of thousands of people probably throughout the course of a year, if not a week or whatever, they were looking to come to this country legally and you know, either via a legal visa or become a legal citizen, you know, And so how's that fair to those folks and again from all over the world trying to come here and want to go through the process of trying to be just like you know whatever. You know, folks that came to Ellis Island and became you know, went through all the processes of doing that.
Speaker 2: There there's but it's also I mean we're talking you know, many many.
Speaker 3: Many years we are. But I mean, I think there's a different world. But the principle of coming to the country a.
Speaker 2: Welfare system when people came over from Ellis Island, you you.
Speaker 3: Had to had to produce or But that's the point. That's the point I'm making. Sorry I wasn't clear about it. Are those folks who are currently trying to come into the country, they're not coming here. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're not coming here to try to live on welfare. They're coming here because they they are looking, they know this is a country that has jobs or there's a specific I think there's I think there's some that that look at it like that you talk, the stats would tell you the Simonian population. I'm talking about people wanting to come to this country legally. They want to go through the process of legally. Okay, yeah, no, I.
Speaker 2: Think they desire to do that and that, and that the system gets wrecked by the ones that just want to take and have no desire to are those flks who want to come here legally. Here here's the thing, Like, if you're not from this country, you don't you don't value some of the things that that have been a part of our like like take the Second Amendment. Whatever you feel about the Second Amendment, Like, there's a history there of why hey, because you know, a couple hundred years ago we had to pick up arms and and and and overthrow a tyrannical government. But if you're from a country or you never had that where your country lived under a king or something forever, you have, no, you don't understand what it's like to why that's something that people value here.
Speaker 3: But that's what you see if you seek if you seek legal citizenship, that's all part of the civics process that you go through that you are those are all there are courses that you take legal citizens dam but then I mean, and then that's when it's determined whether you.
Speaker 2: Show me that you actually crosses are are are actually you're considering them and want to do with them and follow through with them. I don't I don't think you see that with especially in in like these some all your communities.
Speaker 3: Well, and then well that's I mean, I think we're talking about two separate things because and then what what Gnome is saying here is that her claim is that a big chunk of half of them, half of the visa applications are fraudulent, and so she's now accusing Walls basically, you know, faking the whole thing to.
Speaker 2: Just bring people here illegally. Essentially is the vote and you know, throw the American system, which is that that's a that's a game plan.
Speaker 3: But see, so there's the difference there, and like I feel, whether yeah, right or whether you're literally trying to seek coming into this country the right way, and you know, what are your motives for wanting to come into this country the right way?
Speaker 2: Your motives should be when you come to this country is I want to be a productive sism. I not only want to let my life in my family's life, but I also want to lift up this country. That's that should be the requirement period.
Speaker 3: I completely agree with you, and I think probably people that do seek to come to this country legally, I think probably have that motive in my sorry.
Speaker 2: But they get pushed aside for you know, the millions and millions of illegal immigrants. I fear up to me like, there will just be a total pause on the whole deal for a year, and let let's let let's let our society absorb and let's let's figure it out and we're allocate resources and all that instead of just bringing millions and millions a year. And that's what Trump is doing. And I applaud yep I apploid. All right, let's go go and check some trafficking weather.
Speaker 10: How we love that well from the U see Health Traffic Center, you see Health some weight loss center offers surgical and medical obesity care and expertise called five one three, nine three, nine, twenty two, sixty three, ninety three, nine twenty two, sixty three, two seventy five West Pounder four seventy four clean up continuous of that semi trailer on its side in the media, and so emergency crews are on the scene. We've got about a twenty five minute delay through the area seventy five northbound of tw Dixie Highway and Kentucky crash on the shoulder now bridge Town East the Fiddler's Green is an accident with police there and again Ronald Reagan Highway is going to be effective between Writing and gold Breadth as a cruise will upright and support the damage utility pole. We'll have some closures here and then later around set at o'clock tonight they'll have three to fifteen minute approximate fifteen minute closures as they transfer the crew the cruise transfer the power lines over to the new poll on the Ronald Reagan Highway. My Rick s rep. He's Radio seven hundred double d wellw DOO.
Speaker 2: In the forecast tonight mostly cloudy with a low of twenty and then tomorrow mostly sunny with a higher thirty five, and then Wednesday night a slight chance of some more snow overnight partly cloudy, a low of twenty five. Right now just thirty one News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Is it true?
Speaker 20: Tom Brenneman was the bass player in a punk band called Mashed Potato.
Speaker 2: That is mostly not true.
Speaker 20: Is it true that Tom Brenneman can speak to dolphins, but Tuesdays not too because of their attitude. It sounds possible, but not true. Is it true that listening to Tom brennan and makes your morning better? That one is true.
Speaker 13: Please join me in the morning for the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, at a truck load more to get your day started right.
Speaker 20: Tom Brenhaman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 19: This report is sponsored by Macy's Backstage. Macy's Backstage is a whole department inside your macy store where you can find so many holiday essentials, all for under twenty five dollars. With new arrivals every day, you never know what amazing deals you'll find. Don't wait find a location at Macy'sbackstage dot com.
Speaker 30: I'm Mario Lopez here and right now, Slowman's Home Security is offering a free home security system with free professional installation and.
Speaker 2: Twenty for rower. Let's keep going. I saw this and this kind of relates to the topic we discussed to open the show at three o'clock, and that was that to build a new convention hotel downtown YEP. There's a certain district down there that's going to that's being asked and going to put on a one percent tax that's going to help just going to go directly to help pay for this bill seven hundred room Marion. And look, I applaud the fact that it's not being forced on them. They're they're asking these businesses and I guess they do the They think it out and go, well, you know, if this thing gets built, this means more foot traffic, more people going to come to our our restaurant or bar or whatever. It's so fine, yea, I will say, yeah, I find that really it's interesting dynamic there. And what I would wonder is when that hotel was built, does that tax come off those bills or is it any they hang on for a little bit longer? You know the answer that right exactly. That's I guess my issue. But uh, here's I talk about this one though. This is in Chicago, which is dead broke, right they uh, Chicago facing roughly one point one five billion dollar projected shortfall for this upcoming yearash, so you're a billion dollars shortfall for their city in twenty twenty six. How do you keep electing the same folks if you're in the hole that big.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: I mean again, that's where polical question it. Apparently there hasn't been enough paid. Apparently there needs to be more because people just works it the same way.
Speaker 15: Um.
Speaker 2: So you know, Governor Johnson ther he proposed a sixteen point six billion dollar budget to close the shortfall by a significant aspect of his plan and proposed twenty one dollars monthly tax per employees for companies with one hundred or more workers. That was, thank god, struck down by the Finance Committee over concerns that would you know, drive corporations out of the city.
Speaker 3: So they won the So there there, you worked in a in a company in Chicago. You were, you were? He wanted to tax an extra twenty one dollars one hundred more workers. Then that's an extra twenty one bucks a month per employee.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yeah. So but that again that got shot down. So but again they're trying to trying to bridge a gap of one point one five billion. Okay, so it's a pretty tall order and fifty two dollars a year right there, or for one employee. Here's with somebody a council member Alderman Gilbert Vilagas proposed an initiative that would potentially charge residents a dollar twenty five for every package delivered. So Amazon pulls up your door and delivers a package that you bought a dollar and twenty five cent tax on it? What? Yeah?
Speaker 4: For Like.
Speaker 3: Where does that even come? Like where would you even come up with that idea? Like what would be the extra charge for animal? Because they need it and they don't have it? But it makes no sense, Like it doesn't right of course it doesn't. Like what what does it cost for the Amazon which pulls up to my house way too often?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For the Amazon on tin bucks a day? Yeah, for the.
Speaker 3: Amazon to literally pull up in front of your house in there most of the time at they're an electric van. I don't think that even matters. And lady or the guy get out come up to my porch either. If I'm there, they hand it to me. If not, they just set it on the front of the door. Like what what's the expense in that? They're not They just need the money and they don't have any other ways. And they know that everybody orders packages, everybody gets things delivered to their house anymore.
Speaker 2: So this is the way that I get it brutal. It got shot down or got rejected, as you say, and folks are claiming it would need state approval to implement, but the guy who introduced it says that it does not need state approval. Other things that they've put in place along with they have a grocery delivery fee, another fee on top of the grocery fee, okay, that goes directly to the city. A group of suggested nearly doubling the city's garbage collection fee, which has been nine to fifty per month since it was implemented in twenty fifteen. So they would take that thing up to nineteen bucks to get your garbage collected. Okay. So now again all this so you got that, you got that, You got the proposal of a dollar and twenty five cent uh charge for every package delivered. This is just months after the city dropped nearly six hundred and forty million dollars on illegal immigrants. I mean, if you live there, you can go huh what right? The pushback on this is you would think would be incredible, But again, these same people get elected. I just crime there. I mean, where is the benefit, Where's the benefit of living in Chicago and no. Look, if you're wealthy and you got a two million dollar penhouse you know somewhere there, you know, in Lincoln Parkers, Okay, whatever, fine, perfect, that's great. You're not gonna none of this affects you, right, and even a package fee wouldnt affect you. But for the normal person living around there, there's no way you could This is sustainable.
Speaker 3: And you can you can get bringing it back to the you know, the fee. You know, like you get the restaurant fee. Well, ultimately a lot of a big chunk of the folks are going to eat in the restaurants or you know, there's a calculation there are going to be staying in that hotel. So it's almost like a user fee, right, so you get that.
Speaker 2: You get that this one. There's no collection connection out all right, we're way late for the break. When we come back, we're gonna take your stories, your thoughts on inclement weather, disastrous weather, you have survived, will take your calls five one, three, seven, nine, seven thousand, News Radio seven hundred WLW News Traffic and Weather.
Speaker 20: News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: Trying to balance obligations to the stadiums and homeowners with the five o'clock report. I'm Jack Crumley breaking now Hamilton County commissioners this morning deciding how much of a property tax rollback or PTR will be granted to homeowners in twenty twenty six. When the stadium deal was passed back in the nineties, the promise was thirty percent as the full pace.
Speaker 21: The board has in fact provided full PTRs on several occasions going back to twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: You can further see that it's.
Speaker 21: Not abnormal that following a full PTR year to follow that with a couple of years of rebuilding reserve, which is what I'm recommending for a twenty twenty six.
Speaker 13: County Administrator Jeffaludo recommending four and a half percent to build up those reserves after the full amount was sent back this past year.
Speaker 2: Commissioner at lish Reiz, I truly believe and I want to say, it was.
Speaker 22: Not fiscally irresponsible to keep the promise of thirty percent, because you jumped up and said it wasn't fiscally irresponsible to do an eight hundred plus million dollar plus deal with debt on taba debt on taba debt.
Speaker 2: You said we got to keep our commitment. Well, why don't we have to keep the commitment to the people.
Speaker 13: She was the lone no vote today commissioners agreeing to four and a half percent. Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 10: Well, you see Health Traffic Center, you see Health's Weight Laws Center, offer surgicment, medical obesity care and expertise called five one three, nine three, nine, twenty two sixty three, ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. Well, on seventy five, we are sewing as you make your way southbound Ronerwing and Highway to Norwood lateral through the road work. Two seventy five is sewing after seventy four. Now we have the accident here with the semi on its side and the clean up under window delays. Go back to Blue Rock and it's about a half hour slow down in Kentucky seventy five northbound after Dixie Highway crash on the shoulder, and we have bridgetown at Fiddler's Green with an accident. And again ronnal Wing and Highway between Riding and gold Breadth. The crews are going to have closures here as they support a damaged utility poll and then later tied around seven the roadway will be shut down for three fifteen minute durations as the cruise will now transfer the power lines on Ronald Reagan Highway. My Rick Shrump News Radio seven hundred double DOLDW.
Speaker 13: I got a report of a crash now westbound on Ronald Reagan just before Ridge Avenue. Have another crash reported just with minor slowdowns northbound seventy one just north of Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 23: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced Dentistry.
Speaker 2: The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you.
Speaker 13: No Fear Dentist dot Com. Staying cloudy tonight, a low down to twenty degrees. We are expecting the sun to come out tomorrow with a high of thirty five, hopefully melting a little bit of that snow that fell today. There is a slight chance of snow tomorrow night, but no real accumulations expected. Then for Thursday, cloudy, gradually turning sunny, but a high right around the freezing mark. Great art right now shows just clouds in the tri State. It's twenty eight degrees.
Speaker 7: Sending a supervisor to Denver, I wanted them to see something outside of Cincinnati. I wanted them get an opportunity to see how other cities do winter operations.
Speaker 13: Cincinnati's new Director of Public Safety, Mark Riley, giving a report to council this morning on all the improvements that the city has made in snow response versus last season, when hundreds of streets went untouched following a big blizzard. Those changes worked, the city response considered much better for the snow that fell overnight. Four point three inches of snow recorded at CVG north of there. In Hamilton and Middletown came in around four and a half more than five inches of snow reported in much of Warren County, and one of Ohio's Republican senators is looking to have certain Americans make a tough choice.
Speaker 29: US Senator Bernie Moreno has introduced a bill that would end dual citizenship. When he was eighteen, the Republican from Ohio renounced his citizenship in Columbia. He says in a statement that if you want to be an American, it's all or nothing. Senator Moreno's bill would provide a year before people with dual citizenship.
Speaker 2: Can renounce one or the other.
Speaker 29: But now the current policy, he says, may create conflicts of interest and divided loyalties. Senator Moreno's bill could affect the press president's family. The first lady and their son are reportedly citizens of both the US and Slovenia. I'm Matt Reeese News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: On Wall Street Today, the Dow ending up one hundred eighty five points, NASDAK up two thirteen in the s and p up seventeen seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 25: College basketball Tonight, North Carolina takes on Kentucky at eight on ESPN fifteen thirty. Also Tonight, Indiana U East takes on Miami. It is East Tennessee Versus Dayton and Number one Perdue takes on Rutgers. College football News Moeler four star quarterback Mac Ponatowski plans to sign with Kentucky tomorrow. Was planning to wait until February, but moved up with Will Steins Higher, Bill Dennison seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 13: I'm Jack Crumley, Our next update at five thirty and Breaking News Anytime News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by the Ohio Department of Transportation. What do we do to be safe and ready to go? Let's work together to ensure everyone makes it home for the holidays.
Speaker 11: Brought to you by ODAP, the Ohio State Highway Patrol in Ohio Traffic Safety Office.
Speaker 2: A decade ago, I was on the trip Hire we Go, our number three, the Eddie and Rocky show that he's out alongside Jason Williams and Jason we are taking your calls on worst weather, and I mean I want it bad. I want the worst weather you've ever experienced. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. Now, of course today was not that bad, although there were some people that treated it like it was that bad. But what about you? And I know you lived on a farm, you lived in Minnesota. What's the worst weather you've been a part of our scene? Well, the worst weather, hands down. When you said this was.
Speaker 3: I drove so when remember the Bengals played the last time they were in the playoffs, they played in Kansas City. Yes, and I drove to Kansas City, run into a big, big SUV Nissan Armada, and drove to Kansas City and on the way back hit.
Speaker 2: About Greensburg, Indiana that maybe an hour out and just no, no, nothing normal normal. I mean it's cold, it's obviously January, and I just start, I like, people are sliding everywhere and it just comes out of nowhere and I fortunately I had seen it up ahead enough, but it was black ice from there all the way in through Harrison and it would.
Speaker 6: I mean it, I was.
Speaker 3: That was the most scared I've ever been in terms of like a weather, because I'm like, and I wasn't like number number one, like, am I going to fall off the road here?
Speaker 6: And I you know.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen?
Speaker 6: I number two?
Speaker 3: I was worried about someone else coming through here in all these semis and you're like, holy and it was you barely touch that gas and boom you start to spend.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you can have an R model, you can have the biggest car, you can have a tank and black ice. You going to sleep, buddy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, that was scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is usually the worst when you get that that cold rain and it's cold enough to where it can freeze, so it looks like it's bad, but it's bad. That was late January, mid late January of twenty twenty three, Is that right?
Speaker 4: You go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a couple of calls rolling in. Let's go to gym and a million jim fire away please.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, thanks seventy nine. I got up to Walkegan, Illinois in the Navy with a couple of days before Thanksgiving, which is right about now. Got off the bus first day and anyway, the grass is on the ground, and then it snowed and I did. We didn't see the ground for twelve weeks. And this is in Walkegan, Illinois, Okay, and it maybe people were remember that that time of the of the history, but it was accumulated by the time of twelve weeks, it was like eighty over eighty inches of accumulated snow.
Speaker 26: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that does ungodly am that of snow.
Speaker 1: And here's the kicker. You had to we had to have snow duty. And they'd wake up in the middle of the night and and shovel the grinder off between the divisional buildings. And it was like the other wear a towel over your face. We're not talking like thirty degrees. We're talking minus twenty degrees with the wind.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing and the thing was when you woke up up in the morning, there was ice on the inside of our divisional barracks from people. The it was so called that our transparration throws on the inside of the windows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you would breathe out and that would that would would freeze the windows. Yeah, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like it was like the most unbelievable and like it was really cool. But thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff. Yeah, that's that's brutal.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 2: Let's go to go to mic and a Million Mike farre Away.
Speaker 34: Yeah, my wife got me tickets to see the Bulls the last year of Michael Jordan's run there. It was early March and we were heading up there. Lazy day to get started to dig. Game wasn't until the next day.
Speaker 8: Uh, but we got off.
Speaker 34: We got up to Lafayette and the cops got us off the road and they said there was a bad snowstorm or like whatever.
Speaker 8: I don't even see anything. So we got on a parallel highway back in the map stays you know, no no GPS or anything like that. We started heading north and I had heard of a white out before. I had never.
Speaker 34: Experienced a white out. It just was snowing so hard. I couldn't see the front of my hood. I we were I finally came up on a semi and we were begging for tree lines and stuff like that just to let up, uh, just so I can see.
Speaker 8: And I just rode this semi. Well.
Speaker 34: Where it's funny is we had subway earlier and uh, I down a big old big gold or whatever, and uh, driving in this white out, there was no stopping, you know, there was no pulling off, there was no nothing. And I said, I need that cup over there. Well, but let's just say the cup wasn't enough and uh.
Speaker 8: Uh uh, I said, You're gonna have to dump this out because I'm filling this up. And instead of going with the way, she went against the winning went.
Speaker 2: All up for arm Yeah man white out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, the game was great.
Speaker 2: Much please you got to see Jordan his last year.
Speaker 6: But you made it alive. I mean, I mean I was made it to the game.
Speaker 2: Did anybody make the joke? Got a dumb and dumber who he fills up like eight bottles?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, tick officer, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: And you're still married, right.
Speaker 8: Uh thirty years next year?
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks, I appreciate that's a great call. That's good. Let's go to west Chester and talk to David. David fire away. Please, Hey, guys, how you doing? Good Bye?
Speaker 4: This came to mind.
Speaker 15: This is probably I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety. We were in Denver, Colorado.
Speaker 28: We were driving back from actually a funeral from Colorado Springs, and we hit a white out and like the guy before was saying, I could barely see my headlights and it was just staring a foot in front of my car or the car. And we had four with Chevy Blazer, and still couldn't tell. I just kept following what looked like tracks. All of a sudden, a car coming the wrong way past my driver's door, close enough that I could see the look of the face of the guy going south on the northbound lanes beside me, and I was shaking.
Speaker 1: I squeezed so hard on that steering wheel I got home.
Speaker 28: My hands were tramping. It took us hours to get back up to where we were. That's the worst scariest driving I've ever done.
Speaker 4: Well, that was bad.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's the thing in a white out. I mean, you don't know what's ahead of you, and there could be a you know, ten wrexed cars in front of you, and you don't see him in boom. That's it.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 28: We could see headlights once in a while go off in some while direction. We'd just say shoot to go somebody else off the road, and we just kept looking. I couldn't see the headlights, but I thought I could see tracks in front of me.
Speaker 4: And that's all I did was just try to follow those.
Speaker 28: My wife just sat there, wide eyed and just kept her mouth shut, just held on and.
Speaker 2: Just wait to get old. Well, and you don't know what to do because you don't want to pull over because people are all over the road and they could reckon to you, so you keep going. But that's not safe. You're just kind of stuck, man.
Speaker 28: You know, we had no idea how long we if we had stuck for anything or got stuck, how long were we going to be there?
Speaker 15: How long until.
Speaker 2: Somebody got there for us?
Speaker 4: So we didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wicked.
Speaker 28: That's that's way up there on the Holy Cow list.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, And glad you you made it that okay, David, thank you, thank you for the story. Yeah. See, I mean in Colorado and some some places out well, you get some real snows and when you were in Minnesota you have seen some crazy stuff. Yeah, but I never. I never did a white out, man, Yeah, that's I mean, I've been into I don't know if I would consider a white out, but there's been some snows i've been in were I mean, yeah, same deal. You can't really see that far in front, and that's a that's a scary problem. That's scary. Let's go to Let's go to Mainville and talk to Brian. Brian fire Away.
Speaker 9: Hey, I don't know if you guys ever been to Erie, Pennsylvania before, but there's a stretch of an eye ninety that runs between Cleveland and area and it's like the Bermuda Triangle in the winter. And we were in a hotel lobby. We had checked out of our hotel and this they were predicting all this white out snow. And met another guy in the lobby. He said, man, I'll make a run for it if you want to make a run for it.
Speaker 4: He had two little kids. We had two little kids.
Speaker 9: So we're like, yeah, let's just stick together till we, you know, get to Cleveland. So going down ninety, going about maybe thirty miles an hour, can hardly see and all of a sudden I heard a thud, Like I mean, I thought my car blew up and it was a chunk of ice from an overpass, a snowplow, and my windshield just shattered.
Speaker 15: I couldn't see anything.
Speaker 9: I had a one eye all the way down to get off the highway.
Speaker 4: He didn't get my wind children place it was.
Speaker 8: It was hairly.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, you're so like blew off a truck or an overpass or something right into your windshow Huh.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess them gathered. It was a snowplow coming across an overpaths and he knocked off a huge chunk of ice.
Speaker 6: And I mean it hit.
Speaker 9: The odds that hit and square on the driver's side in front of me and me not swerving off the road. I don't know what the odds of that are, but you know we survived.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and and Brian, thank you. Yeah. The best place to be in a white out like that is in your home, you know. And Withers, I gotta say this because you want. My dad plowed streets for thirty years working for Green Township. So I got a soft spot spot in my heart for those guys. You're ever out there, you know, let those guys do their job. They're doing it it's a hard job. My dad U saw say. People don't understand the snowplows. All they do is push. No, you you can't scoop it up right, So it's gotta go somewhere. It's natchally gonna you know, it's gonna unfortunately shove some onto your driveway and people shove it right back out the middle and they get shoved right back there. And but anyway, yea be kind to those guys all do you and all you guys out there that are plowing. And it might be some more weather here on Wednesday. From what they're saying, Uh, make sure you be safe out there and uh in God's speed. So but yeah, it's uh that there's yeah, some of those uh you know, even those big truck you're talking with, black ices, big trucks like that. Those things will spin around and go right out it go out of the way. Matter we'll drive, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: You got it all.
Speaker 2: Let's go and check some trafficking weather. How are we looking?
Speaker 10: And from the u SEE Health Traffic Center and u SEE Health some Weight Laws Center offering a serage coman medical b city care and expertise called five point three NICT Thaleen nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three. We're watching Delans on two seventy five. He spotsor to calog Now with a crash on the left shoulder axcellent and telling me the rang up too with seventy five northbound. It's the all ramp to westbound seventy four. Police are on the scene and good news on two seventy five now westbound before seventy four a semi trailer has been removed and lane restrictions lifted. Here just before seventy four that semi trailer was on its side. Seventy five southbound as their Charles of the bren Spence Bond A five minute drive and we have the sow down through the boatwork on seventy five south from Moonal Reggae Highway down to Norwood Lateral a couple of minute delay. I'm ricks Schren produced Radio seven hundred w W ALLW.
Speaker 2: In the forecast Tonight mostly cloudy with a low of twenty and then tomorrow mostly sunny with a higher thirty five, and then Wednesday night a slight chance of some more snow. Overnight, partly cloudy, a low of twenty five right now the just thirty one News Radio seven hundred WLW. What is sports?
Speaker 11: Sports is pride, Pride in your team and how it represents your town. It's why you wear their jersey, It's why you get a tattoo of their logo. That's why your bedroom is painted in team colors. Sports is pride. That's why we love it.
Speaker 12: Sports Talk with Lance McAllistair tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Breaks for Less. Breaks for Less is what we do We know back with Rocky alongside Jason Williams for just a little bit longer here, and there's a big push within the last couple of years, Jason for the awareness of what's in our food right A lot the dies and the ultra process stuff that's out there. A lot of people are asking questions, which I think is a good thing is in wondering how these things have been affecting our health over the last to hover many years. But right now, I guess San Francisco is going to sue ultra processed food companies. I feel like San Francisco has a lot of other issues, but nevertheless, Alex Stone from ABC is joining us Alex, What is the latest with San Francisco gonna sue these ultra processed food companies.
Speaker 35: Yeah, and this is a rare moment when liberal San Francisco and the Trump administration agree on something. And what Robert Kennedy has been doing on ultra process foods and all of these efforts, but on this they do. And I got to say that the fun police came out today during this announcement that there is a big table of things that a lot of us have eaten, you know, growing up, and a lot of people eat on the regular like wheat thins and neutral grain bars and special k bars and Cheerios and lean cuisine, along with other things like Oreos and craft Mayo and Chef Boyard and Launchables and Cheetos and hot pockets and fun set of yelf on the shelf, Billsbury cake frosting. But all of these items and a lot more. San Francisco's to the attorney David Chu, saying today they are making us fat, disease prone, and making us overall unhealthy. He put it like this, Our.
Speaker 27: Case is about companies who design food to be harmful and addictive and marketed their products to maximize profits like the tobacco industry, They knew their products make people very sick, but hid the truth from the public, profited from untold billions, and left Americans to deal with the consequences.
Speaker 35: So the allegation in the San Francisco lawsuit is that this started with tobacco companies back in the sixties and seventies buying food companies, and that the food companies today use tobacco industry tactics and now use chemicals to get Americans, especially children, especially low income Americans, addicted to these high processed foods, and that it is those chemicals that make you unknowingly. The allegation is addicted to them like it was to tobacco or anything else that's been addictive, where you don't know that you need more of it. And they're claiming that what's being produced is sold as food but is not really food because it's got the chemicals in it.
Speaker 26: They added this, the industry has created thousands of new chemicals which the body metabolizes and craves differently, and they are designed to be addictive.
Speaker 15: Addiction.
Speaker 26: This is a feature, not a bug.
Speaker 35: So they're naming a bunch of companies, including Craft and posts and Coca Cola and others, And the allegation is that these companies have taken part in unfair and deceptive practices lying about the foods being healthy in some cases like wheat thins and nutri grain bars, and have not disclosed chemicals that they put in them to make them addictive. And we heard from one doctor today she says seventy percent of what the calories the kids eat now are coming from these foods, and fifty percent of what adults eat or more, leading to type two diabetes and cancer and depression and a bunch of other diseases. And they say this is decades in the making, that we don't even really realize that some of the foods that we are eating are these highly produced foods because we grew up with them. You think you're making a healthier choice and that these foods are in there. We reached out guys to the companies that are named in this, and their industry trade group responded on their behalf saying that they support making healthier choices, that they have worked increased protein and fiber, sugar and sodium, takeout synthetic color addatives. But they argue there is no agreed upon definition of what is ultra processed food. And they say that their food is being demonized by ignoring the nutrient content, just saying that it's highly processed and not looking at at what the nutrients.
Speaker 4: Are in there.
Speaker 35: But San Francisco this lawsuit, they're letting these companies know their food is making us sick, but have sold it anyway and continue like tobacco did, to make money off of it. And so we'll see where the lawsuit goes and if it has any legs.
Speaker 3: This is pretty wild, Nick, You mentioned all the company I mean it's a who's who of a food food processing companies. I mean you throw in Pepsi and Coke and General Mills and Hines and craft And is the is the end goal here, Alex? That these companies will then put almost like a cigarette type of related thing, you know, warning on their front of their package.
Speaker 6: You know what is it?
Speaker 3: You know for cigarettes? It's this this product may cause cancer? Is this the thing where hey, this this product has processed foods that may cause you know whatever whatever, you know, cancer and heart disease and blah blah blah.
Speaker 15: Is that the end?
Speaker 2: Is that the end goal here?
Speaker 35: Well, I think their end goal is that this stuff isn't sold, that the food companies find other ways to make it, or that they don't make it an America, especially in low income areas, where that is the food that is available and can be affordable to Phillip bellies at home, that that that is not what is there. But the reality is that that would take a big shift. They said this, this has been going on since the sixties and growing to where we are today, that it would take a lifetime to to make it wind back down if they were able to do it. But otherwise, yeah, warning labels or changing the ingredients or taking out these alleged chemicals that they say are in there just to make you addicted to it without you knowing they're even in there. That all of that, So it's kind of all of the above. Their ultimate goal, though, would be that we're eating greens out of the garden and lean proteins and and that sort of thing. But the reality of it is in the mass that these companies have to make it that that's not really possible and getting into every grocery store across really around the world, but across the country to be able to feed that there are still going to be foods that you get it at seven eleven or you at the grocery store that are in boxes and they've got to be shelf stable. So that's not something that that's really realistic. But ultimately they want us to stop eating them.
Speaker 2: All right With that, Alex, we appreciate your time on this. Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: You got it.
Speaker 35: Thanks guys, thanks saw it.
Speaker 2: I applaud this, And I mean just take a go to your cupboard and take out a box of cereal, some brand flakes. You're like, oh, okay, it's got to be wheat and you know flour and you know some sugar is not like forty different ingredients things you don't even want?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: What's about basic food? And yeah, most of the names are are four syllables and you have no idea what they are. It's it's it's really as amazing. So I hope something happens that the change, because it was what we are eating right now is killing it. And I saw this thing too where it's like everyone says, oh, I eat that as a kid. It's to say no, they're different, like oreos, Now, what's in those things and what they make? Oreos? Out of now is different than than when you and I were kids. It's a lot more chemicals and this and that and that sort of thing, so things that ultimately they can make them, to make them on the cheap, right exactly, Keep on, all Right's go and check some trafficking weather. How are we looking