Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: Our Scott's flowing back on seven hundred. WW got a busy day ahead, y'all.
Speaker 1: Coming up at ten o'clock or thereabouts, we'll have a press conference, live press conference, and it's going to be the lawyer for Police Chief Terry Thiji, who is on now paid administrative leave. And it feels like it sounds like it looks like she's getting fired, but that hasn't happened yet. This whole thing has been headled poorly from the jump, and I've not even talked about the issue of the violent crime in downtown Cincinnati. So we'll have that for you live at ten to six. More on this. We'll talk about more about nine to thirty five. But in the interim, we have a major security breach into our infrastructure by the Chinese, and you didn't hear about that because it's been overshadowed by yesterday's massive Amazon Web Services outage. If you use things like Alexa or Prime Video, or have blank security systems or Coinbase, which is crypto government gateway services, Microsoft three sixty five, my Fitness, pell Peloton PlayStation Network, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Square, Zoom, and countless other platforms were down for the COUMP for a good part yesterday, frustrating a lot of people joining the show to talk about this and much more is Chris Naiheissi is the CEO at Cincinnati based Vigilant Cybersecurity. Chris, Welcome back, Good morning, Scott.
Speaker 3: It's great to be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seems like there's always a crisis. We could have you on probably every day talking about this stuff. I've imagined how the security breach, the security breach of that five was kind of overshadowed by AWS, and I guess that makes sense because you know, unless it directly affects you, you don't pay attention. Thing was that that AWS affects so many more people simply because when that's down. I just mentioned it, and that's just tip of the iceberg. That's some of the platforms. There's countless others around the world that were down because of this. In pretty much every institution from finance to a retail, you name. It was completely shut down for the Better Party yesterday, illustrating what the real problem is with Amazon, which is what.
Speaker 4: They're centrally located.
Speaker 5: You know, the big issue with a lot of these technologies like crowd Offerings AWS. They've made it so easy for organizations to put their technology up there. But the problem is in the thing that a lot of companies forgot about or chose to not maybe pay attention to, is that when you put it into these central locations, if that central location goes down, well then now everything you do goes down. And what was really interesting in scott is yesterday, and I do this quite often when things like this happen. I go out to this site called down detector dot com.
Speaker 4: And it tells you, like everything you know.
Speaker 5: These people will call in the report things are down, so it'll tell you what's down across the world. And you can tell exactly what companies use Amazon and we'll.
Speaker 4: Talk about that here in a second why that can help.
Speaker 5: An attacker, but you can see exactly what company used it because they all went down at the same time. Now, I'll tell you this has happened globally two times before last year CrowdStrike, and this has happened to AWS before as well. The data that Russia attacked Ukraine, so very interesting time and you and I talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in fact that we.
Speaker 1: Will and we still don't I don't. We don't know what drove yesterday's out.
Speaker 2: We don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Amazon has said that, uh that basically it was a DNS problem, which is the exact same thing that was years ago, and just everyone knows what DNS does is you know, it's really hard to remember a long IP address, you know, like one nine two dot one six, states at five, that ten or whatever, and so so we don't have to remember that Google's addresses is.
Speaker 2: You know eight at eight, that eight that eight.
Speaker 5: We put names to these because it's easier for humans remember names. So we say Google dot com, where there's a translation service at the Internet existed since since you know, networking started. But basically you type in Google, it converts it to that iPad dress and goes up. You can't get to websites without DNS. And if DNS is down, that's the problem. It is the single most thing that can I mean, none of the networking broke yesterday, None of the ISP's broke.
Speaker 2: You said Internet connection.
Speaker 4: It was the major translation system.
Speaker 3: So if you had typed in.
Speaker 5: The IP address, if you knew it, you could have gotten to the website. You're trying to go to. But because of automation, all these technologies like ring or whatever, DNS can change so often and so they just automate it. So when that system's down, it's it's the thing that can take everything down. It's the simplest thing to take down the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way you describe is if you're older, remember the old Dewey decimal system. It's like the inverse of that. Basically, I said, if I remember those numbers like oh yeah, here's the name of the book, Well, the Dewey decimal system will get you the book and the title that you're looking for. Don't have to worry about that as much anymore. And the other thing too, is you know, the idea is is that the cloud. Basically the cloud is hey listen, you don't have to host your own service anymore. You don't have to have a room full of a rack room with all this equipment and have it people run around all the time. You just uplad the stuff of the cloud and Amazon will take care of it and you just you can outsource it. Right, So we love outsourcing. The problem though, is that and correct memver wrong. I think there's two regions here, so you have the US East one region, which is in Virginia, which is where the problem is.
Speaker 2: We have US East two, which is actually in Ohio.
Speaker 1: And so one of the ideas, Hey, one of the regions goes down, you've got other backups and overlaps. But as you mentioned, if it's the whole process of the Dewey decimal system called DNS, then you can't access data no matter where it is. That's the toy that that undermines their argument that, hey, don't worry if they go down here, we've got backups. There's redundancy. Well, there's no redundancy with.
Speaker 4: This, right right.
Speaker 5: That's interesting too. There's thinking about it this way from a security standpoint. It's just from national security aspect. When DNS is down, everybody's firewall that's configured to get updates through DNS stops getting updates.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: People writing code that use things like githup right where they still or their code they can't update code? Uh when you know yesterday, uh you know email communication systems to tell people things are down, we're down, and so you know, think about all the ways we communicate, all the services we communicate, emergency services. Your ring cameras were down right, So what's a great time for someone breaking your home yesterday during that outage, you know, so you know what's it. But also on top of that, not even just the security side of things is you know, people couldn't buy and sell things. They couldn't you know, so many businesses lost tons of money yesterday because they lost consumers purchasing.
Speaker 4: Things from them.
Speaker 5: It's just a cascading effect. And you know, when you think about US East and US one, the way this works is you actually have to put your technology in bolts. Well, it costs you more money to do that, and so not every company does that either, even though it's available. But even in that case, you know, DNS being down, you know, would have affected most of most of any any of.
Speaker 4: That as well.
Speaker 5: And you know, there are multiple different ways to connect to DNS because there's all these companies that use this, but a lot of companies use aws because it's easy and you know, it's it's just it's just grown to be something that's just pretty well known.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we know why to you know, the dependence in the cloud as opposed to having a local drive do this, there's a lesson there and the you know, everything works until it doesn't.
Speaker 2: I guess it's the mantra here too.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I'd been missed. I didn't mention, like literally.
Speaker 1: Hours before this day before this, there was something called the F five bridge. F five is a it's a it's a major US company basically that it How do I want to describe F five? It's not much like AWUS is pretty much everywhere. F five is a huge cybersecurity ventor. I think nine to ten fortune five hundred to use them at banking, tech, medical, government, all that stuff, right, And they were breached by the Chinese, so to kind of bridge the disc ushi and from Amazon to this.
Speaker 2: Do you think these two are related?
Speaker 5: Uh? You know, personally, I think the timing is really interesting. And when you see a lot of these big things happen colonial pipeline, uh.
Speaker 3: You know this, you know you have to start to look at this.
Speaker 5: From a from a warfare standpoint. And I would say most of the most of a lot of attacks, even though they're ransom are attacks. Its like that this last week, ransomware in hospitals, things like that. I think all of that's either positioning or testing and and and in this case it's it's highly possible that both of them are related.
Speaker 2: I think it's too early for Amazon.
Speaker 5: To know that. I think that for them to say that publicly, uh was you know, I don't, But again I don't know what investigations they've done internally. But that happened really fast, and so if I were them, I would have waited, you know, just to this to come out and say something. But even if it was, it probably won't come out to the public just because of hysteria.
Speaker 3: And things like that.
Speaker 5: Now, the way the way F five works, where where DNS gets you to the website you're going to, what happens is when you have a popular website or you're a company that does a lot of business, you have to have a ton of servers on the back end that serve your customers. And so what F five does is it sits in front of those so when you go to it, it distributes.
Speaker 4: The load across all of these servers you have on the back end to support all of the transactions you might take. So that's why banks use them, why hospitals use them, it's why big massive organizations use them, because it helps route the traffic. Son Once gets you.
Speaker 5: To F five, right, then it distributes the work.
Speaker 4: So you kind of see I'm going here right yea, But yeah.
Speaker 5: So that's that's that's what happened there. So when when you think about F five, what F five has is they have all of the configurations for every one of these companies that they work with. They have all like of the user access information, they have all of the code for how their systems work. So when an attacker, what they stole was they stole all of their source code, They stole all of their you know or not all, but a lot of their customer configurations. They stole the access to those systems. So now not only do they know where to go, they know how to get there, they know how to get in, and they know everything about the company's environment once they get there.
Speaker 1: Chris They, who's the they?
Speaker 4: So the they in this case for five is trying to right.
Speaker 5: China packed them in twenty twenty three, and that's the earliest we know, right from what's been released. Sometimes that's longer. Sometimes companies don't even know. Because I'll say that most companies either they don't have the ability to forensically even go back that far, and so it's really difficult for most companies to prove whether or not a hack happened and even when it happened, so they could have been there much longer. But the day in this case is China the and I would say this, it's our adversaries, you know, because it's China doesn't just operate completely alone. They work with other countries and things like that. You know that our adversaries against us.
Speaker 1: Right, And we just had the start of Earine just last week and talking about China and how they've infiltrated infrastructure here in America in two hundred as far as we know, but probably multiply that by ten or one hundred, where they've gotten into water filtration systems. Some small town in Massachusetts, I believe. Sixteen Minutes had a great story on this and how they got in. They like, yeah, we saw them, they were operating, The government was watching them to see what they were going to do. But they could totally take control of a city's infrastructure. And that's that's replicated across America.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The Chinese are break and basically the biggest, one of the biggest cybersecurity vetterors in that five in their platform that runs nine to ten Fortune five hundred companies. They have basically the blueprints on how things work for nine of Virtue tive.
Speaker 4: Hundred companies and and and in.
Speaker 5: A significant amount of others too. Yeah, you know, we're my team right now is out in California because we meet uh this conference with a bunch of municipalities out there at Space all the Uni polities and California come together once a year we go go to that conference. One of the things that's interesting because our team is asking them, We're like, hey, you know, do you you know, do you use that five et cetera, et cetera now and a lot of them to do so, you know, the you know, that's the thing is when a technology becomes efficient or becomes you know, effective within an organization, people will go buy it and they put it in. And that's not a bad thing because you know, a company should be rewarded for effectiveness. However, the thing you have to realize is that you know, when you're when you're putting things in, you have to go a bit further to to lock them down.
Speaker 4: And when you know, we talked.
Speaker 5: About week two hundred, you know, cities around the country and that's just that's that's a very very low number that Scott just from our experience, have embedded threat actors in their environment. And then you tie that into things like, you know, systems like this where back in twenty twenty three. So I think it's no doubt that you know, companies that use.
Speaker 4: F five, you know, have probably been infiltrated from them from that time and they don't know, you know, because you know, and I were talking about this earlier.
Speaker 3: I think a look bit.
Speaker 4: But like I've been saying, you know, saying on a.
Speaker 5: Few of these, is that the cyber industry has been diluted over time from a technology standpoint because of the way that cyber companies grow, Right, A lot of private equity comes in, a lot of different investments come in, and a lot of times that can dilute the technology because there's a balance in an organization like that where you have to balance between shareholder value and client value. The other thing that's happened too is that you know, companies do not have a good barometer on how to choose cyber technology. So like for instance, HB ninety six, you're in the state of Ohio, mad Rush, every municipality here in the state of Ohio mad rush to get cyberant in.
Speaker 3: Put in place.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I believe the bill was awesome. I think it's one of the best cyber bills in the country right now. However, the timeline is horrible because now what's happening is all these cities are rushing out to get compliance because they have to, and now they're going to put in things that they may or may not know are effective. And a lot of these organizations actually don't know how to vet whether or not tech is good or not in the cyber world, because we have things like you know, I don't say their names, but we have organizationations out there that a lot of companies go to say, well, how.
Speaker 3: Is this rated?
Speaker 5: Well, most of those plans, most of those rating systems are all paid to play, so cyber vendors can come in, pay a lot of money and get put into a position of priority in the marketplace.
Speaker 1: So the way the system is set up, it seems like this it's not going to take much of this house of cards to follow me in. I'm not surprised to wake up one day and nothing works, because you know, the Chinese said, okay, we have enough to shut your commerce down and hold you hostage. I mean imagine holding the United States of America essentially hostage. And what is the rest of the world power is going to do. They're going to sit back and just look at us and go yeah.
Speaker 2: So we don't care. It's a frightening future.
Speaker 1: And it's sadly we don't learn anything until we have a digital nine to eleven, and that's coming.
Speaker 2: We've talked about.
Speaker 1: That, right, Chris Nihi, CEO Vigilant Cybersecurity. Now, of the origins, we still know the Amazon webserver crash yesterday, and we do know that one of the biggest platform cybersecurity vendors at F five and what they produce, was hacked by the Chinese. And we'll see if those two things fit together. Frightening times. Indeed, Chris, all the best, Thanks are jumping in this morning.
Speaker 4: Oh Scott, great talking to take care.
Speaker 1: We've got a news update in about four or five minutes here. When we continue, we'll start to get into the Terry Fiji suspension slash dismissal, slash firing, slash dog and Pony show that's about to happen at what ten o'clock today when her attorney Terry Thigi's attorney speaks. We'll have that live for you and then reaction following here on seven hundred WLW consequential Tuesday morning. Scott Sloan here, seven hundred WLW. Gotch You're covered and control. If you're out and about today, take us with you via the iHeartRadio app because we will have breaking new sometime at ten o'clock or thereabouts. There's about to be a press conference on the heels of Police Chief Terry Fiji being placed on administrative leave. City Manager Cheryl Long tells us to leave is pending an internal investigation and the effectiveness of our leadership the Cincinnati Police Department, which is interesting because it was just what about three or four weeks ago that mayor after had Pirval said crime is down. It's fine, crime is down, We're doing good. Things are good. Now. There's some areas, central business districts and others where the crime is up and personal property crimes like car breaking, said, that's up, but crime is down. So weeks later we get the dismissal presumably of Chief Theritary Thesi, which this is gonna be a great topic Tomorrow morning at ten thirty with Julie Boukie, our career, Shirpoo, and just how poorly handled this dismissal was. And I say dismissal because I don't know what to make of this. We don't know what's going to happen. At ten o'clock, the attorney for Terry Thiji, Steve m who's been on the show before, a friend of the show, an employment attorney with Finny Law Firm, and Cincinnati's gonna address this at ten o'clock. And I could only imagine he's going to say that she did everything that was asked of the city as he publicly negotiates the terms of her surrender, and the terms of her surrender are going to be extremely generous, meaning that you, the city tax paper are going to foot the bill to make Terry Thiji go away. And it's going to cost a lot of money, money that could be better spent on, oh, I don't know, addressing crime problems or potholes or whatever it might be. But that is your guy have to have have at work, going to spend a lot more of your money to covers butt. So we'll see what is said in just about twenty two minutes or thereabouts. Anyway, as soon as they break in with that, we'll have it for you here on news radio seven hundred WLW. So let's lead up to that somewhat here in how things got to be and the final straw for Terry Thiji, I guess was the Fountain Square shootings, because Pierval I think was out of adjectives at this point. Every time we had a violent crime that made headlines, there was another adjective used and finally said that's enough. This is intolerable, I think is the lat one he used and said significant changes are coming.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: That was last week and here we are with the paid administry to leave, the suspension of the chief and an interim chief appointed. Terry Thiji told cops at that time that we're going to make contact with people for the most minor offenses and the SWAT and civil determined team are going to be it's going to look pretty militaristic. Militaristic on Thursday and Thursday on football, which, by the way, did that stop the crime? Maybe on Fountain Square, but just a few blocks away literally at the end between Tavern gunshots rang out where he had an individual shot to death in his car and his BMW at the hands of a guy who well shouldn't have had a gun in the first place. We'll get into the more a little bit later on. Terry Fiji came into the department in twenty twenty two with the retirement of then Chief Elliott Isaac. She was an executive assistant chief at the time, the first woman to lead the department. In the interim, she spent thirty now I believe doing matham my head here about thirty five years on the job. I want to say thereabouts in a Western High school's Western Hills High School graduate, married forty years, proud Westsider, and I found it interesting because when she took office in twenty twenty two, just three short years ago, she said, quote, I am dedicated to ensuring CPD is as inclusive as possible and will continue being committed to doing the work of the collaborative Agreement. To that point, Iris Rawley with the Cincinnati Black United Front actually interviewed all four candidates. I was sending the interview press of all four candidates with the goal of advancing the collaborative agreement, that is, the optics, that is, the circumstances, surroundings and conditions in which Terry Fiji moved from executive assistant chief to the full time job to the main job, being the main woman in this case under the guy that well, she's a female that checked the box. Which also make it interesting in the side, is what's the if they replaced Terry Fiji with a white dude. That doesn't look good when it comes to diversity, it right, because a lot of the times when you know, when Chief Elliott Isaac left or when a previous chiefs left, is like, well, you know, you can't replace a black guy with a white guy, or you can in this case reb well a woman with a guy. I just it's it doesn't look good. And so it's interesting how all of the you know, the diversity and the DEI and all that stuff goes out the window when bullets are flying around and you have a you know, and it's threatening your occupation as a professional politician like Aftaed Piervall into a degree shir along.
Speaker 2: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: So we'll see if the first woman hired a Cincinnati police chief, if they replace her with another woman because of well, you know, DEI and I may you know, it could be a black man, black woman woman man. I don't care just hire someone who's competent. Be course, the problem is the fact that they're hamsterring by the mayor's office, something that people voted for back in two thousand and one with Issue five that said you know longer know you know. Basically, the FOP has no say we're going to go outside of Cincinnati hire the best candidate. Well, you know, the guy's the best candidate. There's a lot of ifs in there, there's a lot of qualifiers, there's a lot of ISM's in there, you know, sexism, racism, et cetera. Instead of finding the best person, we have to find a person who looks diverse, so to check the diversity box first. I'm not saying certainly diversity I think is a good thing, but it has to be natural, has to be organic. And also what about hiring the best person for the job and then letting them do what they do. I think that's the problem here because it's pretty clear regardless that she's a woman, or she's a white woman or a black woman, that doesn't bean disabled it I don't care. Just find someone who's competent and let them do the job. We don't have that because they Issue five and can control the mayor's office. So when she comes to office and the first thing she says three years ago, is is it about you know? Is it about juvenile crime? It's about bad guys, it's about guns on the streets, it's about public sip. No, it's about being inclusive and working in the confides of collaborative agreement that led to where we are now three years later. Just pointing that out, How is that on Terry Thiji. I don't see it because she is just simply playing by the boy. If you want the job and the title of police chief and everything that goes along with that, the heartaches, the headaches, but also the compensation and the notoriety because you're going to go and make a lot more money as a consultant, probably there is a police chief. But nonetheless, if that's the rules of the game and engagement, you want that job, and who wouldn't want that job, then you're gonna do and say, enact and dance the song the piper's calling, and the piper is the mayor. I think we got to get I think we made a mistake in two thousand and one when voters said, hey, yeah, that's what we want. I think what you need to do. You need to have somebody in there who's going to be a good cop there not punitive, enforce the laws, take the bad guys off the street, put them away, work with the prosecutor's office, do all that stuff, be accountable, but also be a cop. And we've got, unfortunately, people who are theatrical I think in a way if you want to put it that way, because I think there's a lot of theatrics with what's going on here too. But you know, just again, you're hired. Your job is to enforce the laws and make sure that the bad guys are segregated from the good guys. There's very very few, really really bad people out there. We need to make sure they don't socialize with the rest of us. That's all this is. But when you put all these other artificial whims in there, it doesn't help. So Terry Thiji, just last year she was remember when she showed up to the school board meeting to do a I think it was a prevent youth violence thing. She went at metro stations. Look, we had thirty arrests last year. I think during the month of August, I think right before school there was a bunch of arrests because kids are hanging around the Metro station again and Government Square causing problems. And of course that's because the juvenile justice system is broken. It's a way too lenient and police round them up and then the judges don't put the fear of God into them to make them do it again, and they send them off with a slap on the wrist and they go out and they do far worse stuff. And so cops on the street are undermined. I don't know how that is on the chief of police. This summer, we had multiple shootings. Fourth of July weekend was not a good one. We had three at the banks and s Melbourne Front Park. We had a fourteen year old killed. We had the street takeover in Clifton, which Teve Gooden talks about because cops and our fire couldn't go on runs and they're delayed, and we had two cops the target of gunfire in Clifton. And that's when the chief yelled at the media about they need to be more honest and transparent. That was the whole you know what crime is down? Well now the chiefs yell at the media about being more honest about things. And now where's is this homisty there? So I saw that when we heard they're yelling at the media about being more transparent, more honest about reporting. She's just covering for the mayor. So she was again dancing the dance. Mayor's playing the tune. Just tell people the crime is fine, there's not a crime problem. We're good. The numbers don't back that up. Well, when you sit there and luxury people and say you need to learn how to behave in your city, and you become a meme, you know, the police chief, Mama mem I think you kind of lose your your juice there, and that's what happened with Terry Thiji. Yeah, look overall, how much is this on her? I don't know very little about. I would say, now, talk to your average beat cop. I know that there are a lot of cops aren't happy with Terry Thigi. But again, this is someone who is hired by an administration to carry out the diversity, equity and inclusivity. And she said that when she was hired because that was hitting her head by after pival By, sheer long by Iris Rawley and all the others getting in her ear. Like, this isn't about policing, this is about diversity, and how could that possibly surprise you that we are where we are three years three short years later and the person who said, okay, these are the terms of the condition of my opponent.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know about you. You show up to work, your boss tells you to do something. Here's the job here's going to hire you to do, and these are the the parameters of your job. Generally, most sane people go, okay, I'll do what they ask I will do my job. When the parameters established by the man, no one's going to go. Very few people are going to I'm gonna do my own I'm gonna go rogue here. That that's not going to be good for your longevity in that company. I'd imagine the same as true to the police chief. But just let's look at the construct in which she came into office and what she was guided by initially. And this was not long ago. We had the Cincinnati Crime Plan, remember this. They kind of downplayed this one when we had a you know, the idea is we've got too many kids getting guns. And the end result after this is we have now more kids getting guns. So how did this work? We downplayed the Cincinnatia because they want to do diversion instead of a youth gun possession cases instead of formal prosecution, especially for first time offenders. And we're going to limit the detention for youth charged with gun possession and eliminate the transfers. We're not going to kick them up to adult court anymore. And we need more community based violence interruption programs. How is that working? Where's all that money going? Safe to say, I think a lot of it is going to the pockets of people who don't really have a plan, but they got their hand out. And there's a lot of government every time we pass something, you know, the four and a half million dollars we give the cops. You start to look in the details of that and I haven't had time or the inclination to do it, but you start looking at that, it go wow, Look at up the programs. Look at my handouts in this community, this community memborgangs and somebody is getting this and we've got this program and there's no accountability for any of this stuff. It's just paying people off to go along with the plan. But the plan doesn't work now in retrospect of the summer offering diversion and limiting youth detention and all that stuff. The optics of this aren't very good. You know, when Terry Ethigi comes into office and she says in her press conference, and this is about continuing diversity, equity, inclusion, this is about the collaborative agreement. And she's looking at Iris Rawley, and she's looking at your along and she's looking at them and all these things, and then you know, you're a few three years later we have the literally the wheelswalling off the cart. What happened all those programs one of those grand ideas well, those those are the conditions in which we were taught by the people who are holding the carrot out that is the job. Then you're gonna do everything to get that carrot. I don't see how any of this is on Terry Thiji. What was the response from the city when we started having a lot more of this crime? This is way, but this is before Patrick Herringer got shot and everything the city spent. I think I had Kramereding on talking about this two hundred thousand dollars to keep the red bike program in Cincinnati going, and we spent like two million dollars over the years on the Red Bikes. So Cheryl Long comes out and says, well, we know that the bikes and the scooters are being used as tools to commit property crimes and steal guns and help criminals of aid comps. And so what we're gonna do now is we're going to shut down the Red Bikes. What then they doubled down? Went Okay, Hamila County Probation Department. Here's what we're gonna do. We're coming up with a new model here because we got to do something serious. We're going to take thirty probation field officers and cut that down to six. So we've got six probation officers doing home. It's for thirty eight hundred convicted felons. That's one forever six hundred and thirtyth offenders, one for six hundred. Because we're going to centralize our parole department instead of having substations.
Speaker 2: Does that make any sense?
Speaker 1: Then Patrick Harringer's murder comes along. Mordecai Black Murder, aggravated burglary kills. This guy stabs him in the neck inside his home on East mcmack and his wife, his poor wife's standing right there, a tragedy made worse by the fact shouldn't have never been out of jail, and the indifference of city leaders is the worst part about that. We had two cops on patrol that night in all of OTR and a guy's walking around with the machete and nobody saw him because we're one hundred and fifty cops short. How is that on Terry Fiji. Terry Thiji would have fifteen hundred cops if we're up to her, like, I want more cops on the job, not fewer. And Mordecai Black's jacket, he had thirty four cases about four pages of crime on this pos over the last twenty years. And then to add insult to injury. And then something no one can explain to this date is why she was handcuffed and held for eight hours before released when her husband was murdered right in front of her. I get that initially it's always the person around closest to you who is usually responsible. But it was pretty clear. I think it did it take eight hours to figure that out? No now, and the reaction from after that pure of all, forty eight hours after his murder on X he posts, not about the murder, not about this is not acceptable, not talked about opening cutting the ribbon on Logan Commons, which is forty two new affordable homes for residents right next to Finley Market. Literally stepped away from her. Patrick Herringer was bludgeoned to death, killed murdered in his throat slit with a machete by Mordecai Block.
Speaker 2: Talk about tone death.
Speaker 1: We had a guy leaving an FC game, and that story was tamped down by the city because they're worried about scaring people away from going to f Sea games. This guy cares about getting re elected. He cares about sun dance, he cares about pride, He cares about blaming the white guy for the which I haven't even gotten to yet, and all that stuff. This guy has absolutely no sense about what it is what you need to do to make sure we have law and order. It's not as vocabulary because everything that he subscribes abscribes to I think has been turned upside down. All his theories and beliefs about how to run a police department has been blown up because criminals take advantage of that. Naither day, you know, a job as a kid if you're a little kid. Is to try and get away as much crap as you can. The job of a criminal is that, but on a much more serious level, because you have real victims in here. You don't have kids sneaking cookies, right, stealing change at a mom's purse or something like that, trying to jump out a window to escape curfew. You have people who are praying out of the people, Mordecai Black and others. And the answer is that, hey, you know what, we got to start splitting wigs here. We got to go after these people. We got to put them behind bars. We've got to quit, do you know, we quit releasing their own recognizance. We got to make sure that the cops are not out there. We don't want to talk to people. We don't want to stop people for jaywalking. We don't want to stop someone iris rawling in telling a cop what to do when they're hooking someone because they've they're wanted, No, you can't do that. You got to let them go. Well, wait a minute, they're wanted, they've been worn out for their arrest.
Speaker 2: No you can't. You're harassing them. You have rights too.
Speaker 1: We're listening to that element instead of common sense and says there are people out there that are going to take advantage of how naive you are. And I didn't even get to things like, you know, the food trucks being done at eleven o'clock and all those other nonsense. And then finally, because of all these failed policies grasping its draws and doing everything in your power to ignore the real problem, you then turn around and go, well, I guess we're gonna have to let the chief go. How in the hell is this on the chief? Steven m is an attorney with the Finny Law firm. He is a unemployment lawyer. He's a really good one. I've had him on a few times on my show. He is also representing, by the way, talking about checked up the city, is the former chief of fire fire chief in the city, mister Washington. He's repping him in his dismissal as well. So now he's gonna rep Thigi And i'd imagine so I got some stuff to say. So when he breaks out, we will break in at sometime at ten o'clock or thereafter, we'll have that press confidence for you live. I don't think Cigi will be there. If she is, she won't talk, but I'm guessing it's just gonna be Steve im in a podium and I'm interested to hear what he has to say about this whole situation I just laid out for you. I don't see how much of this, if any, is on Chief Thigi. I see a lot of it on a fouled administration that's doing everything to grasp and fight to stay in power. Meanwhile, how much is it gonna cost you, mister and missus stax Bear to pay Terry Thigi off because of this incompetence, Well, we're gonna find out. Coming up Scott's Loan News Radio seven hundred wl All right, catching up here Scott's Loan seven hundred WLW Live. You heard the voice of Stephen m attorney from the Finny Law firm for Terry Thigi. She's on paid administrative leave as chief from the City of Cincinnati, standing behind in the civilian clothes, not speaking. Obviously, let the lawyer do the talking, for she's always smart. We've heard that Terry Thiji, a cops cop here, a long family cops and law enforcement in Cincinnati from the West Side, was asked to resign. She refused because there's no cause. And on her thirty fifth anniversary of her start on the job as a police office, she finds out that she's being put on paid administrator to leave, meaning we're looking for reasons. Now we don't have reason to fire you. We're looking for reasons, and we're going to put you on unpaid administrative leave. So what we got right now is a good old standoff. If she stays, she gets the authority to do her job. If she goes, it's going to cost you and missus taxpayer millions and millions of dollars that you can will afford, and it doesn't really solve the issue on this with some instant reaction. Is the president of the Queen City Lodge of the FOP, that's Ken Kober, can't appreciate you jumping in this.
Speaker 3: Morning, sure thanks to miss step.
Speaker 1: Looks like the no confidence vote you had for this administration really really stands up at this point, doesn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean they've fumbled this from the get go. You have the chief fly across the country, only the land in Denver, you to go to a conference representing the city in the police department, only to tell her to come home, and then I mean, what we've seen over the last five days is just absolutely they fumbled this whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, in addition to that, the person they appointed chief, Henny, is the interim chief now and according to Sheer Loong City Manager, she said he has my full support. I'm confident in his leadership. I don't know if he's doing the next chief, but this is the command officer who signed a citation against the white guy in the in the brawl in July at the urging of the mayor, which is purely political, not criminal. Even though Henny wasn't on the scene. He ran the Central business district and that had the highest spike in crime this year. The optics of that are bad for the it gets. It goes from bad to worse for these guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you the optics are certainly not good. But I will say this about Colonel Henny. As you know that hold the he was doing nothing but protecting investigators from having to do what they just said I'm not going to do and instead of them facing the consequences for standing up to it, you know, he stepped in and he protected cops, which is something that we certainly all appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that from a cops perspective, like he got our backs. I'm not going to let the rank and file take take the fall on this. But again, I don't know what the ethic. I think that's pretty unethical though, is that you're told by the mayor to do something. It's like, that's not how our justice system works. As much as these people spend complaining about Donald Trump, you just did the exact same thing that you're allegedly against. But I digress a little bit. The other thing, too, is if she were effective as chief, why would we have so much violent crime? I think that's the big question here, is like, well, violent crime has continue to go up. The optics are bad on this. We have Fountain Square, we had the shooting in front of the in between. It just keeps coming and coming and coming despite what we do. And yet it wasn't all long ago. He said, Hey, you know, things are effective. She's doing a good job. I mean, if you're effective at something, we should have less violent crime, not more.
Speaker 7: Well, this just proves what we know all along, and it proves what I've been saying all along, which is we need to keep politics out of policing. And when you have the city manager, the mayor who over over at City Hall, is telling her what she can and can't do, it's proving that that's failing. Chief Deji has the ability to be an effective police chief. Unfortunately she's not given that ability right now, and when she's told what to do by city Hall, she's told what she can can't do. The end result is that this is what we have. And this is ultimately why you know, the rank and file voted for voting no confidence against the mayor because they should allow the chief independently to do what she wants to do. And if she was screwing it up them, then by all means.
Speaker 3: Do something about it.
Speaker 7: But the fact that they didn't fire their asking her to resign says everything you need to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this isn't her exit. This is about keeping yours, what Steve im said. So she has no desire to go quietly. Actually she's going to go rather violently, and it's going to cost a lot of money to make her go away. I'm just wondering would the city give up authority because this is issue five. So let's talk about that at the background, and that It came after Timothy Thomas was shot and killed in two thousand and one caused the riots.
Speaker 2: We had a charter amendment.
Speaker 1: The issue that passed I believe in November that year with just over fifty percent of the vote, I think fifty fifty one to fifty two percent. But essentially the Issue five you've mentioned that a lot ken is that the city manager in this case shere along as the power to hire and fire a police chief, fire chief, department heads at whim at will, and there's no balance in that whatsoever. In the past, it used to be the FOP you guys had a little bit of a say in that. You don't have that anymore. Is that what led to this?
Speaker 3: Well, sure, you know.
Speaker 7: And ultimately with that passing allowing one person to have sole authority as to whether you fire a police chief or a fire chief. It's been proven with the fire chief. It's now been proven with what's going on with Chief Figi that this is a terrible idea. There has to be changes to Issue five, otherwise we're going to continue to see the same thing. It doesn't matter who you make the police chief, as long as city Hall still is making the decisions. As to what's going to go along with the police department.
Speaker 3: This is what we're going to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's Ken Cobert, President the FOP. The reaction to Attorney Steve Imms press conference he heard live on seven hundred Wow and on the stream via the iHeart radio app too, and that is saying we're fighting this. We're not gonna let Terry Thiji take essentially be a sacrificial lamb is what he called her, and said, this whole thing is disappointing, and there's no justification or cause, which is a legal term, no cause because she took no action or inaction on her part to cause her termination or it looks like at least her suspension no wrongdoing. And they're going to fight this thing tooth and nail and we'll see what happens. But relative to Issue five in this case, I had some notes here from back in the day in two thousand and one, the manager for Issue five that we're talking about here said, this is how other cities do it, and of course, you know, if other cities do it well, then it's got to be successful for Cincinnati. At the time, your predecessor, Keith Fegman, remember Keith Keith was the fop P president and said, what's going to happen is it's going to politicize departments. What's going to happen is you're going to have politicians making decisions of law enforcement, and anytime that something happens, it's bad. The chief is going to be a sacrificial lan We'll have a revolving door. And in that case he illustrated the Cleveland when they implemented this, they went through nine police chiefs I believe in less than eight years because of the system. And now Terry Thiji's gone after what three not quite three, we had a chief before them. It's just going to be a revolving door because the political will power exists and there's cover, politically speaking, to terminate the chief when in fact it's not the chief. It's kind of like our foot our sports teams can it's it's never the coach, the assistant coach, the line cut, it's always the ownership in the front office.
Speaker 2: That's what he's saying without a doubt.
Speaker 7: I mean, Keith, he was spot on when he said it. That was twenty four years ago. We saw with James Craig, he was the first chief to hire outside this police department.
Speaker 3: To rank and file loved him.
Speaker 7: He refused to cave to pressure from city hall, and after two years they went thanks, but no thanks for gone. You know, we got another chief that came in at eighteen months they fired him. So this is no surprise that this has all coming to fruition and it needs a change.
Speaker 1: Can this change before you overturn issue fiation five? I'd have to go back on the ballot. You'd have to figure out how to work around that because there was a charter amendment that passed in two thousand and one. A lot of work to overdo that, and the will of the voters, of course, But can chiefde Is there room for her to come back and do her job?
Speaker 7: I don't know why she'd want to at this point, the way that she's been treated. I mean, you treat somebody as thirty five years you've given to the city and this is how you're being treated. And I can tell you right now the cops are going. If they're going to do this to the chief, what will they do to me. I don't know why you would want to come back. I just don't see a scenario where that happens, because then she's going to be constantly looking at her shoulder.
Speaker 3: What are they going to do to me next? I feel for them.
Speaker 7: Like I said, this fight with the FOP in the city is just as much about Chief Fiji as it is for the next chief, For the chief after that, that chief fifty years from now, there has got to be made. And if I have to put all the effort in the world to the FOP to make sure that Issue five is changed, and that's exactly what we're going to do.
Speaker 2: Ken Kober.
Speaker 1: The name that was mentioned that cause Steve m to just simply pause, consider it and then say, I can't comment on that was the name Iris Rawley. How much how many fingerprints are on this her fingerprints are on what's happening right now.
Speaker 7: You know, it's hard saying it wouldn't surprise me. But the problem is there was no transparency at city hall. That is the absolute problem. You had the mayor say after the press conference that we're exploring all options, we're not sure if the chief's going to stay or not, and then all of a sudden, you know, nothing happens, and then the mayor comes out and says, oh, this is show a long decision.
Speaker 3: It's not my decision, it's hers.
Speaker 7: And of course then she makes the decision. Oh, I completely support her decision. It's just the lack of transparency is staggering coming from city Hall.
Speaker 1: Well, the fact of the matter, she goes to Denver, she gets recalled, there's an urgent message, there's an urgent issue in Cincinnati. We already had the Fountain Square shootings at this point, she's off to Denver. She comes back and now they go, well, we're going to suspend, you'll put you on paid leave. Why, Well, we can't say. We don't know, but here's the interim chief. And this whole thing has been handled so poorly in drag eff for said, but it's decision after decision like this, you know, like one way after food carts and red bikes, in breaking up the probation departments, all these things that actually made crime worse or had no impact on whatsoever. And now ultimately the last thing they have, the last quiver in their arsenal, is firing the chief. And I'll point out ken I read this earlier in the show, and I think it's worth pointing out again that when she was hired in twenty twenty two to replace Elliott Isaac. She was an executive assistant chief, first woman to lead the department, and she said in her first interview or her swearing in, her priorities upon taking office were dedicated to cheering CPD is as inclusive as possible, and I'm committed wholeheartedly to continuing the work of the collaborative Agreement. That sounds like someone who's saying that because she know how she got the job, Like those are the marching orders she was given by the administration as opposed to well, dealing with street level crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And you know, it's funny how this is all transpiring. Now, It's like making an arrest and then deciding what the crime is. I mean, that's literally, that's.
Speaker 3: How ridiculous this is. We're going to put you on leave until we can figure.
Speaker 7: Out why it is that we're actually going to fire you, and then we're going to do it. It's it's absolutely nonsense. And the rank and file recognizes that. You're regardless of how they feel about her as the chief, how they feel about her as a police officer, none of that matters. The rank and files well, and this is at right to treat somebody this way, and that's why I said that the police department of the rank and file has certainly been united over this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a terrible thing, and that normally, if you're looking to get rid of somebody, and I've worked for places and work for places where they're always looking to you know, cut, cut some baggage, lose, they build a file. They go, okay, well this person is doing this. Okay, we've got a file. We've got to and you build a history so that if you have to terminate someone, you can point to that and go, it's not discrimination, it's for cause. Here's the causes. They don't have that here. They suspended her paid administrative leave, and now they're looking for reasons to go back and say, here's why we put you on leave. And this could go on for weeks and weeks and weeks to try and funds find some dirt on Terry Thiji that may or may not probably doesn't exist because you would have.
Speaker 2: Had this stuff already, right exactly.
Speaker 1: And I guess that does have a chilling effect in police officers. But you know, we also mentioned that the city just went in their pocket for money, even more money another four and a half million dollars to pay police officer try and recruit police office because as you know, and you often said, were what one hundred and thirty to one hundred and fifty cops down? Which is also part of the problem too, because we've spent money out of the other stupid things not getting keeping boots on the ground. But what does that due to recruitment efforts? And Simmon sees this from I don't know, we're talking about lateral recruitments, meaning you're stealing cops from other jurisdictions, go come to shiny sunny Cincinnati and work here.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: How does that undermine the cause that you're trying to do, and that is getting more cops signed up, not less. This to me sounds like it make cops want to leave, not to stay.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt, I mean it is.
Speaker 7: It is certainly going to have a devastating effect on retention because we're going to see even more people as soon as they get twenty five years on that leave and then anybody that actually pays to pays attention to the media, Uh, they're not gonna want to come here. So it's gonna it's gonna also affect recruiting, and it's just every time we finally get out of the news over the you know, the attack at Fourth and Elm and how that was handled, and we finally get passed out, and then now we have this, and it's just unfortunately City Hall seems to not be able to get out of their way when it comes to UH dealing with these issues, and it's certainly going to have a terrible impact on recruitment and retention.
Speaker 2: How long you think this drags out? What's your guts set?
Speaker 3: Who knows? I mean weeks? Who knows? I mean it's already drug out, five or six days? I just who knows. I hope it quickly.
Speaker 7: It's what the men and women of this police department deserve, it's what the residents deserve. So just to be handled very quickly and let's move on whatever that looks like, whether it's.
Speaker 3: Her coming back, her not coming back. They need to resolve this very very quickly.
Speaker 1: I know the rank and file weren't enamored with Terry Thiji, but man, what the city just did is solidify every man and woman on that thin blue or white line as it is in Cincinnati, on her side. This is incredible yeah, without a doubt. He is Ken Coobert. He is the president of the Cincinnati Lodge of the FOP. Joining the show with his reaction following the press conference involving Terry Figi's administrative paid administrative leaves. They look for reasons to fire her, supposed to having reasons. Now we're gonna put you on leave, pay you, and then look for reasons to fire you. That's completely as backwards as it gets her any big city or any city in America for that matter. But that's our town, that is Cincinnati, USA. Can all the best be safe? Thanks again, all right, thanks very much, Dott News on the way, we'll shift it up a little bit here. Tim Holloway is the resident of the Hamlin County Associations of Chiefs of Police. His reaction to this and also some of the areas that were pointed out in the press conference. We get a chance to get to and that would be judge's role in this whole thing, and the accusation by Steve m that f Ted Pureval won't engage county judges to force them to get tougher when it comes to bond and releasing people who are violent criminals on their own recognizance. Chief Holloway his reaction next seven hundred WWT, Cincinnati, Scott'slan Here's News Radio, seven hundred WLW, and Aburago a press conference to end all press conferences from the lips of Steve m a wonderful employment law attorney with the Finny Law Firm. And by the way, Steve is also repping former fire Chief Michael Washington for his discounts. His termination is the end of his tenureif Chief Fiji Terry Fiji on paid administrative leave, present at the press conference and civilian clothes, but not speaking, along with her family, who collectively have a combined two hundred nine plus years of service to Cincinnati. They're all in law enforcement or at leased in the public service for that matter. Chief Fiji, on the thirty fifth anniversary of her becoming a cop, found out that she was the subject of a secret investigation basically with no timeline or reason. And she was told that we're going to put you on paid administrative leave and we're going to point someone else in your stead, and you kind of see the writing on the wall. I don't think what they saw coming was that she was going to fight this and her attorney saying there's no justification. There was no cause, in which, if you know about employment law a little bit, you know the cause basically means it's something you did. There's no cause, so there's no action or inaction on her part. She has a spotless record. In called her a sacrificial lamb, and she has absolutely no wrongdoing. This was one hundred percent at the behest of the mayor was the suggest and the inference there that she is just a political scapegoat in a pawn. For the bigger part, crime problems that exists not because of Terry Thiji and her incompetence, but rather because of the foul policies that may are aft to have pure vall chry lung at All won't own up to and that that is the real issue. So how do you fire? You can't fire your way out of bad policy, but they're trying to do that. And so the end result is Terry Thigi is standing strong. She's felt that during your tenure she's been hamstrung by politics. You can't do your job. The city, though, issued a statement from share Long City manager saying public safety is our top priority.
Speaker 2: That is the issue.
Speaker 1: Is it really, you know, I would say that, you know, if we keep going through chiefs and subordinates, we keep getting more of the same. It sounds like a metaphor for our sports teams here in Cincinnati. Is maybe just maybe it ain't the guys on the field, It ain't the assistant coaches, it ain't that. Maybe it's the front office. Maybe just maybe that's what it is. Nonetheless, joining the show this morning with his reaction is the president of the Hamilton County Association of Chiefs the Police, and that would be Tim Holloway. Tim, good morning, how are.
Speaker 3: You no morning, Scott, good to be with you.
Speaker 1: These are the things that make one say thank. I may be a police chief, we may have our own issues wherever. We are multi the numbers of agencies across the Hamilton County, but at least we're not the city of Cincinnati. I say that tongue in cheek because I can't help but think that what's happening in Cincinnati with the crime does that affect all of the other jurisdictions that are in Cincinnati. Because you represent a number of agencies in Hamlin County, the Chiefs of Police Association, Tim does the crime problem with Fountain Square and elsewhere in the central business have a ripple effect. Does that make your job harder?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, Scott, I think it's one of those issues where it's a cultural issue inside the Hamilt County criminal justice system, and there's a sense from the criminals and also law enforcement and a lot of the citizens that there's not a lot of accountability coming out of the Hamilt Kuinting criminal justice system. And that applies to crimes that happened in Cincinnati or even there or anywhere else in the county.
Speaker 1: Were you shocked when you learn that tiy Thiji was on paid administrative leave or do you see this come?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: I feel really sorry for Terry. She is a respected member of the Hamilcanty Association of Chiefs the Police, and what she's having to go through down there, it's really unfortunate. I will leave the mechanics of all that to Terry and her attorney and the City of Cincinnati to work through. She is a tremendous amount of knowledge, tremendous amount of experience, and as you mentioned, her family's combined experience. I know several of her family members. You're talking about a family and Chiefdiji in particular, that have demonstrated a long term commitment to service and public safety.
Speaker 1: I forget, Tim Refreshman, how many different agencies make up the Association Chief the Polace for.
Speaker 2: Hamilcun there's thirty five ass thirty.
Speaker 1: Five And I like I asked Ken Kobra about the rank and file, the men and women of the thin blue line of the same white line of the Cincinnati Police Department. When when you talk to members, you're thirty five members, typically is Chief needs you looked at favorably?
Speaker 6: I would think so, And to put that in perspective, I'll leave that largely for Kencobra to comment on. People may find this shocking, but the rank and file police officers don't spend a lot of time thinking about chiefdj just like the rank and file deputies of the Chrif's Apartment don't spend a lot of time thinking about Chief Holloway. You know, we all have our communities that we serve. I'll lead Ken Cobra and the rest of the folks at Cincinnati offer their opinion.
Speaker 3: On that one.
Speaker 2: Tim.
Speaker 1: One of the issues that came up, of course, is Issue five, and that was a charter rewrite that people wanted back in two thousand and one following the riots, and we're both around for that, and that is giving the city manager in essence, all authority over the chiefs of police, fire and leadership. And we saw why that was a bad thing. At the time, a lot of people thought it was good. There's one entity in Keith Fahman. Then the FOP president said this is a bad idea because it's going to be a hundred and political and any time that there's anytime something like this happens, it's going to be a sacrificial lamb. And we saw that come to fruition today or at least in the last week or so. That's not an issue that exists anywhere outside of the city. And so I think in other areas, like, for example, where you are, you have some authority and autonomy to do your job and go after bad guys as you see fit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Scott, every single police chief in the county is in largely the same situation, and that is, we have an obligation to provide police services to our community consistent with that community's expectations, and obviously the elected officials should weigh.
Speaker 4: In with the police use.
Speaker 6: On their opinion of what that means. But at the end of the day, you hire a police chief for their knowledge and experience about law enforcement strategies. The elected officials here in Evendale would be a fool to come to me about tax increment financing or tax abatements because that that's not my specially. They should go to somebody else for that. And politicians, while they have an opinion on goals for law enforcement, they ought to be dictating strategy. It's not because it's not important to them. It's because they don't have the right frame of knowledge and experience that a police she has.
Speaker 1: All right, One of the things brought up Tim Holloway with this press conference that we carried is that the I think I know Steve im said this directly or not, but basically the mayor won't engage county judges about low bonds in releasing people on their own recogniss o ours And that's part of the problem here. It's one thing to talk about, you know, Terry Thiji in her competence or incompetence and why she was put on paid administry of leaving the politics behind that. It's almost always politics, and it's an unfortunate situation for Terry and her family, and it's also grossly unfair, and it's making people who once were on the fence are like not a big fan of Terry Thiji come to her defense. And so it's worked out, I think in that area very well for her. But when you hear that, the mayor won't engage with even talk to judges and say, look, we got a problem. You guys keep releasing people on low bond. They get out and they do worse things. The mayor won't even have that conversation.
Speaker 6: Right, that's my understanding. You know, I'm not part of any of those conversations. I have no direct contact with the mayor of the City Cincinnati. All I can tell you is collectively, the police chiefs in the Hamilton County recognize this problem for quite a few years. And Chief CGI brought us that challenge a few months ago to address some of these systemic issues in the criminal justice system. And we are working hard on that and will continue to work hard on that.
Speaker 1: And d I think is there's multi legs of this stool, right, and one of them is enforcement. It's getting tough on those who are violing the law. The last edicted Fountain Square was like, look, we're gonna have swat, We're gonna have operations out there. We're going to stop people and talk to them, make contact with people when they violate the law, and the slightest it's the broken windows theory policing, which seem to work. But the other side of this thing, and one of the other areas is the judges in the courts themselves. The fact that probation, parole and juvenile courts have they yet to talk to the associations. The chiefs police had a discussion with you guys. You've had open houses and roundtables and everything else, and so far they hid behind some sort of judicial canon, some judicial code of conduct that prohibits them from sitting down and discussing what their mindset is when they release people on very low bonds or all are because that would violate some sort of judicial code. At the same time, these are the same folks who went out when it's time to get out the vote and had open houses and went out in the community and talked about voting and how they're getting good judges on the bench are important. So somehow that's different, but the same in that regard though, have you yet to have any conversations with the entities here that aren't showing up to these roundtables you're holding.
Speaker 6: You know, Scott, To the credit of the common Police judges, they did invite us down to speak to all them and that conversation went very well. Common Please judges and municipal judges have come to these community lead listening sessions, and we expect that we're gonna be talking with the municipal judges sometime next week. But yes, you're right, we have yet to hear from from Juvenile Court, and we have yet to hear from Probation and Parole, and you know, all these partners in the criminal just system. We need to be working together to make Hamilton County safer. You know, people will throw around crime stats a lot, and whether it's up three percent this year, four percent next year, or whatever it is. At the end of the day, we live in a new environment where through social media and just electronic media in general, people are far better informed about I'm in their.
Speaker 3: Own community and neighboring communities.
Speaker 6: And the fact of the matter is, if people feel unsafe someplace, it doesn't matter what the statistics say, and we have an obligation for people to feel safe in every community in Hamlin County.
Speaker 1: All Right, we have the press conference ten with Terry Thiji and her attorney fighting back, pushing back against the claims of either negligence and competence or something along those lines. And the fact that, in the words of Steve n basically as we came up with a crime, we came up with a charge, and then we're still trying to find out what the crime is. They can't find out what the crime is, even though the charge sounds familiar. But in that regard, I have Tim holloway on he is president of the Hamlet County Associations the Chiefs of Police, and his reaction to what transpired today and what's transpired with Terry Thiji. And also part of the problems we're talking about is the juvenile courts, probation prole departments and their issue with bonds. You have specific issues relative to this, because didn't we just have a case in Coreyville that to illustrate the absurdity of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I will say this, I'm going to criticize Judge Yates on one hand and give him kudos on the other hand, I will criticize his decision making process. There was a shoplift at Kroger and Coreyville, and when he was confronted by Kroger secure he resisted them. The police were called. Police officers got involved, and when Judge Yates got ready to pass bond to his arraignment, what Judge Ates knew was that the defendant had arrested and mazed a in intact police officer and a security guard from Kroker, and there was a series of charges. I don't remember what they all were, but there were several different felonies, including robbery and felonious assault, and he was able to walk out of the courtroom having only to post a five hundred dollars bond. Now, to Judge Yates's credit, he did respond to media inquiries on this and gave his explanation. So I'm glad that he's being transparent and accountable. But on the other hand, you know, Judge Yates said that one of the responsibilities of bail or judge and setting bail is to consider how dangerous the defendant is and whether they're likely to appear in court. And I think when anybody with common sense looks at these facts. This guy was so bound and determined not to be held accountable for a theft that he was willing to assault a security guard. He was willing to assault a Cincini police officer and spray them with mace and try and get away. People like that are dangerous to the community. And when he was not even willing to submit to an arrest, why would anybody think that this guy's going to come back and show up in court voluntarily.
Speaker 3: This was clearly a.
Speaker 6: Situation where the judge could have laid up that set of facts and had his bond ten to fifteen higher than what he did, and it still would have been consistent with a lot of other decisions down there. On the other hand, Janakio just a few days put a two point six million dollar bond on a defendant on a plenty's assault charge. So people have the right to expect that the judges are going to work to keep the community safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just top of my head.
Speaker 1: The way he described that is you have robbery first of all, which is the mitigating cause. But then you have follows assault, you have obstructing official business, probably you have assault on the police officer. There's probably a ton of charges involved there, and yet it says, yeah, three hundred dollars, that's fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it baffles me and you and I talked about this before. I'm not looking to take away autonomy and discretion from judges. That's not what our afforts are about. But it's about making judges that callible for how they exercise an autonomy and discretion. And I think I speak for a lot of people when when I say that that bond in that case is unreasonably low.
Speaker 1: And I'll point out too that this happened when middle October sometime maybe a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 6: I believe it was like the fourteenth or the fifteenth, so just a handful of days ago.
Speaker 1: So this wasn't prior. This was after we had things like Patrick Carringer's murder with Mordecai Black, where we had assaults downtown. We've had numerous shootings and murders involving people who had a weapon under disability. Hell, we just had one at Fountain Square. Well, Fountain Square is one of them, but also the one near in between Sycamore and Third where you had an individual who was wearing an ankle monitor shoot to death. Another person in a car for reasons we don't know at this point. And this happened after all of those things occurred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's true.
Speaker 4: Looking for.
Speaker 6: You look at both the Fountain Square shooting and the shooting down in between. You're talking about people with extensive criminal history. And in the case of the shooting down there in between, the both the defendant and the victim had extensive criminal history. And I think that's the point that we're focused on. It's not a lock everybody up, but it's locked the right people up. And there's some very dangerous criminals running around Hamilton County, and we need to pick out those one hundred to two hundred most dangerous criminals, and the entire criminal just system needs to figure out how we're going to keep anybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well the in between one would happen after. But still, you know, you have a long history of people who say, hey, you know what, Okay, fine, I'll go look for a job and I'll be accountable to probation department there When people just leave minutes after that, the ink is even dried in that agreement and they're out back committing crimes yet again, and instead of looking at and going.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: We have people taking advantage of the system. It's time to turn the screws down a little bit more than the three hundred dollars bond. We have judges just continuing to rubber stamp this kind of behavior, and it just encouraged go, Hey, three hundred dollars and I can go commit more crimes. Good, sign me up. I'll just keep lying to the judge and they'll keep slapping me on the wrist. It's a revolving door of stupidity, is what it is. Tim Holloway is the president of the Hamlet County Association of Chiefs of Police.
Speaker 2: Thanks for jumping this morning, Tim, all the best.
Speaker 3: Be safe, all right, thanks Scott.
Speaker 1: Are we get a time out in We've got news on the will reset. We'll find out the very latest. And the followed continues from the press conference by Steven Am at ten o'clock this morning regarding the I guess the peaceful surrender of Terry Fiji. She's not going to go quietly. It's not going to be a peaceful surrender at all. It's going to cost the taxpayers of the City of Cincinnati millions to make it go away. All She wants to do is stay and have more say in how to police things, which sounds like a reasonable request. We'll see how it plays out. More to follow here Willie's going to pick us up at twelve oh six day. As a matter of fact, we'll be talking about this all day long here seven hundred wlbody time to talk.
Speaker 9: About money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep others off your stash. This is all Worth Advice with Andy Shaeffer.
Speaker 1: All Right, we tap out effecting from the police chief thing to well your money, because I hate talking about the same thing for hours at a time. Let's talk about something that you've got more skin and control in the game, and that is what's in your wallet or maybe not even know all on. That is our buddy, Andy Shaffer from all Worth Financial and simply Money.
Speaker 2: Welcome, how are.
Speaker 3: You, Good morning, Scott.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great drama today. We got drama all over the place. Drama continues. Let's get into the market stuff. And first and foremost, I'm curious yesterday we had a huge outage with Amazon Web services. Didn't see what the markets did yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we see that.
Speaker 1: Scarce Helliy, because you're talking about a lot of commerce getting shut down for a good period yesterday, banking, security, retail, all that stuff. When these kind of things happen, what kind of impact do they have in the short term? On short term, but you know, you wonder if this thing went on for days, which is entirely possible with the hacks that we've had lately that we've talked about the impact that they would have on the markets.
Speaker 3: Not much.
Speaker 8: Well, it depends on what kind of breach it was. You know, these types of companies, whether it's Amazon or any other big type of retailer, you know, gets hacked and attempted hacked all the time. And you know, for us at all Worth Financial, you know, our second biggest department is our technology and security team. So it's very important number one to make sure that you continue to do business as you always do business, but number two, to make sure that nothing nefarious is going on where they're trying to, you know, hold this company hostage for ransom or whatever it may be. I think in this case, you know, as long as Amazon can get back up and running fairly quickly, it's not a big deal. But if you remember years ago, there was a breach with target and a lot of individuals credit was compromised. You know, I was one of them. I got a letter said, hey, you want to reach out to you know, the three major credit agencies and probably freeze your credit. That can have a more serious impact. But the markets did just find yesterday didn't have a significant magnificant impact on Amazon or economy because it is such a robust company and so is our economy.
Speaker 1: Well you're gonna see that someday there we're going to have a massive outage like this, and it's really going to rock if it went on maybe for a day or two or longer. We've seen companies be held hostage by malware, you know, kettering health for example, recent local example local media spells around here where they were had malware. Now that that's certainly probably not gonna affect something as big as Amazon, But if we had a major outage like that, the markets would just pumble. I would think, I just wonder how long we would go without those services and with those platforms and now with that commerce before that had a effect on what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like.
Speaker 8: To think these companies are taking the necessary precautions, not only for protection but also for troubleshooting and rectifying any situation that they have. And like I said, you know, most of these companies, the technology and securities teams are massive. So I'm not saying that it's never going to happen. It probably will, but hopefully, you know, we we have the ability to be able to go in, fix it, straighten it out, and get back on track to what we do in the United States and that's produced and.
Speaker 3: Continue to generate revenue.
Speaker 1: You know, I was talking to someone who has vast knowledge of this and they said, you know, real culprit in this whole thing, and what we're talking about this scenario, it's private equity. Is that a lot of these huge vendors get private equity mont which is great the beginning because they can invest in research and development and infrastructure all that stuff. But as it goes on and they want to continue you know, high returns, high dividends because that's what they do, they will then cut corners at the software that would keep them on the cutting edge, and they fall further and further behind, thus causing more and more things like this to happen. I think it's a really interesting analysis of it.
Speaker 8: I think that would be one of the last steps. I have a lot of experience with private equity. You know, with with private equity, you know, the saying goes as long as you are producing and continuing to be a profitable company, private equity usually leaves you alone. It keeps management in place. You know, they invest in you for a reason. They like your outlook for the most part. Now, if you start to go sideways and profits start to diminish, that's when you know the board gets involved and starts making cuts and making decisions. But I think for private equity, you know they have their investors at heart as well, and if you start cutting technology, innovation, protection and security, that can not only harm the business that you have, but you know, you answer to your investors. So I think, you know, if push comes to shove, that's way down the list of things that private equity would cut.
Speaker 1: Andy Shaffer with all Worth Financial. We'll pivot to what a week ago President Trump said, We're going to hit China with one hundred percent terrorists because of the rare earth mineral thing.
Speaker 2: And now we're walking that threat back, so more of that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, it seems like that's kind of been the rhetoric that we've seen. You know, Donald Trump is bombastic, and he placed these threats, particularly on China, and you know, two fridays ago, we saw the market pull back significantly when he threatened those hundred percent tariffs on China. You know, that was basically in retaliation for the export of restrictions on the rare earth minerals. But late last week President walked that back. He said, you know, this is not really sustainable to have one hundred percent tariffs on China, and the Marcus enjoyed that, and it continued to soften. We're going to see Secretary Scott pssent. He's going to meet with Chinese Vice President Eye and they will meet Malaysia next week to prepare for the meeting between Donald Trump and Chinese President She later this month. And that's important because we have a November tenth tariff deadline that's still looming with China. So that ninety eight truce that we had with China that's about to expire. I think the fact that President Trump and President g are still on track to meet later this month prior to the end of that ninety day truce and that November tenth deadline is positive and I think the markets have reflected.
Speaker 1: That even with that, we're going to threaten you with one hundred percent tariffs kind of like out of nowhere.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, you know, I think a lot of that rhetoric is used for leverage. I think what Donald Trump wants to do is, you know, let the Chinese know that we do have leverage in place. There are things that we can do. Our economy can withstand this type of trade war a lot better than China can, and I think President she knows that. I think both sides want to come to an agreement. We need China and China needs us, and I think they're both aware of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So back to the other big issue at hand, and that is the umpteenthday. I think what twenty days now government shutdown. That is a big question mark as well. We know that people aren't getting their paychecks in the federal government. Doesn't seem to be impacting markets at all too. But in that regard, we're also not getting the government data to indicate where our economy is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know that we're on day twenty one now. The government, YEP, still remains a major policy variable. We don't really know what it's going to look like it keeps the data in the darkly we've talked about. You know, it forces US and other firms like us to build analysis on estimates for different types of information that we don't have, So you know, there's a lot of algorithms involved and a lot of math that's involved with that. But what we're showing is that initial jobless claims near about two hundred and fifteen thousand in mid October. That implies that layoffs remain low despite a lot of this policy noise.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 8: You know, I think right now we're still in the environment where companies are not hiring very much, but they're also not firing very much. So you know, hopefully we can get Congress back in session. It looks like it's starting to tilt the way of you know, opening back up the government, but there's still a long.
Speaker 3: Way to go for them.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He's Andy Schaeffer with all Worth Financial every Tuesday morning on the Scotsland Show seven hundred w alwis airon of course be.
Speaker 2: The iHeartRadio app. Take that wherever you go.
Speaker 1: You can listen in real time or podcast or later if you wish. So we again, it sounds like because we're not getting the data, we just are going with the numbers we had before the shutdown, which your inflation employment outlooks are, well, haven't moved.
Speaker 2: They might have, We just don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 8: But fet Shairman Powell basically said that, you know, he believes just that he thinks that inflation unemployment outlooks haven't changed very much. You know, we're going to get a lot of Fed speakers this week, like we always do. They love to talk. We're going to the Fed's going to meet later this month October twenty eighth and twenty ninth. They'll make a decision on interest rates. I do suspect that we will see an interest rate cut of about a quarter percent. Fet Shairman Powell basically said, Hey, we're keeping that rate cut on the on the table. The markets have basically taken that into account at this point of pricing that in to the games that we've had. So we'll see what they have to say. I always look forward to hearing what feed Sharman Powell has to say on those Wednesdays and particut in the press conferences afterwards.
Speaker 1: Okay, Andy, there's something that was bubbling. I think in the credit markets. I saw right, I was I forget the two companies two principles. But there were some loan fraud issues.
Speaker 8: Yes, So we were seeing a little bit of some issues with regional banks. There were some regional letters Science Bank Corp. And Western Alliance. They disclosed that there was some alleged loan fraud tied to funds buying distressed commercial mortgages. And that's basically a fancy way of saying, hey, they were gobbling up some things that were not good investments and they have some losses because of it. They had tens of millions of dollars and losses. You know, so on the surface that doesn't seem like it's a big deal. Now, the sell off in those bank stocks were pretty heavy. And what happens is is there can be a potential fallout for other smaller regional banks as well. We went through this three or four years ago. I don't know if you remember, but there were some banks up in the Pacific Northwest that had some issues with their balance sheet as well, and the threat was that, hey, is this going to be a fallout with all regional banks and smaller banks could be more systematic. We don't believe it is. Fortunately locally here, fifth Third, for example, reported smaller than expected lost provisions. So we'll see where it goes. We're not too concerned about it at the moment.
Speaker 1: We haven't had a big banking crisis in a while or a way over go for one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, big banking crisises are hard to go buy it. You know, I've been around long enough to remember two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, I actually held some Leman Brothers bonds that went the fault, and so that was a challenging time. But yeah, we haven't had a big one in a while. You know, you hope that we're not due for one. I think that right now when we look at the overall picture and the banks. You know, banks still have the ability to borrow from the federal Reserve, and right now we're not seeing a lot of banks doing that. So that is a safety net for a lot of banks that things start to go sideway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm here.
Speaker 1: We're not hearing about the financial markets that regard a big banking crisis. The one bubble you hear about bubbles bubble, it's a bubble of the housing bubble of two thousand and eight, the dot com bubble, the bubble, the big bubble.
Speaker 2: Now is AI.
Speaker 1: Is there any validity in that argument that the and it's going to burst and it's going to be like nineteen twenty nine all over again.
Speaker 8: Well, I think the reason that people say that is because the price for AI stocks is very high right now. And when you do an analysis on stocks, you look at, Okay, what's the profit versus what's the price? They call it the pe ratio profit over earnings. Well, the profits for these companies aren't significantly high, but we have all this money flowing into the price of the stocks, so they're overvalued right now. And the reason is is So, to answer your question directly, I'm not too concerned about an AI bubble, and the reason is is that the outlook for AI is significant. This is going to be a revolution like we had in the early two thousands with the dot com era, the Internet and those types of things. So to me, this is a big deal. I think investors understand that this is going to be the future of our society, and so they're comfortable paying a little bit of a premium with the expectations that those companies are going to continue to be profitable over the next fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have the government showdown to shut down the showdown of twenty one days now full three weeks into this whole thing, and then longer it goes and there's more pain, and eventually they come to a reasonable solution saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got to stop because people are tired of this.
Speaker 1: But there's no there's absolutely no ground swell by the American people to push that narrative. So we just sit there and go, yeah, who cares, man, The government's it's open as shut. We don't care, and the markets continue, everything's doing well. I said, it's not until we start to feel some pay And I mentioned how much theater there is in this thing too. I think it's funny because it's kind of like the analogy I gave is you close your business, you'd by by sending like the receptionists home. So somebody shows up and goes, well, the receptions on it, but there's you know, ninety nine percent of the people in the back are still working.
Speaker 2: It's just the reception desk gets closed. That's what this is like.
Speaker 1: We're closing parks and all the making it just uncomfortable enough at TSA and airports for people to take notice.
Speaker 2: And in your world.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny because the Beer of Labor Statists recalled its staff to compile these September CPI report. You need that report because that's what they based the cost of living the coal adjustments for social security, because we can't piss old people off when it comes to their social security.
Speaker 8: There go, I mean you got it exactly right. Yeah, I mean, yeah, you know, most of the government still remains open. But could you imagine if people that are getting social security did not get their cost of living that would wipe out most of the incumbents and.
Speaker 2: Concres So there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's funny how that works.
Speaker 2: It's just funny. Well we better do that.
Speaker 1: Well, well, the old people are the people who vote, are going to be really mad at is if they don't get their three percent. So where you get to come back to the office and do that. Yeah, to show you how serious the shutdown is and government is. Uh, you know, it's the umbrella of seriousness because they dress in very very expensive suits and coats and ties and call each other gentlemen and gentlewomen and things like that. But you know, the actual behind the scenes is a lot more comical than that. He's Andy Schaeffer. All we're all worth financial. Their show simply money. There's at six o'clock. I'm fifty five KRC. You can check it out over there and we talk every Tuesday about your money. Andy, all the best. Have a great week. We'll talk next Tuesday.
Speaker 3: You too, Scott, talk you next.
Speaker 1: So, of course, the big story going today is Terry Thiji. We had a press conference at ten o'clock, just at ten o'clock this morning. The principle involved was her attorney talking about talking about she's fired, she suspended. The whole thing is a dumpster fire. But again that dumpster fire is just a small dumpster fire in front of the large tire fire that is city Hall. Particularly the administration, the A F. Tad peer Vaal administration. They just don't handle things well at all. And that led, of course to the crime wave that led the dismissal of Terry Thiji. It was just a month ago where aftat peer Vest so no, no, the crime numbers are down, and now a month later, with an election looming, he fires his police chief.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to me either.
Speaker 1: But again, it's politics, and when you either talk about the shutdown or the joke a city hall, it's all the same argument that these are not serious people that act a lot more serious, and we look at them and go, oh, they must know something we don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think they do. I really really don't.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Willie's going to pick up the Fiji topic at twelve oh six today, right after a news update and more to follow on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WWT Cincinnati