Speaker 1: Please welcome our friend, mister Brad Meltzer. Oh so happy to hear the song. Can I ask you this? Can I ask you this?
Speaker 2: This song makes an appearance in the book. The way that it makes the appearance in the book is hysterical. I love it is that real, like at some point where you and all your jackass friends trying to figure out what's the last song you listen to?
Speaker 1: Well, that's my life.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, but like no, I do think I actually do think that in the scene in the book, it doesn't ruin anything, but it's all about, like you know, it's a book about looking backwards or looking forward and realizing that if you look backwards you look at regret, and if you look forward, you look at anxiety.
Speaker 1: What's going to happen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And the only way to be really present is of course, to be in the present. But in my house there is a constant fight of music, right, And I firmly believe that if you just sit and listen to your old music from when you were like seventeen years old, it's like it's old music death.
Speaker 1: It's like definitely it's a miserable thing.
Speaker 3: And if you're not constantly like transforming and engaging with something new and growing.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I got it. I got it, and the only question.
Speaker 3: But what I love about it is that the last scene is is they play you know, he plays.
Speaker 1: Zig plays for Nola Betty Davis.
Speaker 3: She's like, let me see the last song that was on your thing and he plays it for it. And the thing that I do like, She's like, this sucks, but it's great like that, and I just love that she likes it and I can't. I didn't plan that. And I was just like, no, she's good. Because every by the way, when you started playing it, every head in this room here we were all of course, it's still got.
Speaker 1: That book is still a killer, by the way, And I did. I will confess.
Speaker 2: I sent bradda text when I was reading the book over the break and it had been four years, and I told you, I think the last time we talked, I was very nervous.
Speaker 1: You haven't written a novel in a loris the you You didn't miss a beat.
Speaker 2: The book is fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 1: And the other the other.
Speaker 2: Thing that I was concerned about is it's the third in a series.
Speaker 1: It's a Zig and Nola novel. So how long ago was the first one? How long ago was the first one? I was like twenty eighteen, I mean a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so then the last one was four years ago. So if everybody hasn't read both of them, my concern is you don't know who Zig and Nola are. Is that you would start and go like, I don't know who these people are and be lost.
Speaker 1: Does it help? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are there things that you can kind of flash back to? I don't remember everything from one four years ago.
Speaker 3: My wife was proofing the book and she's like, I don't remember what happened. She's married to me and had children with me, So of course I write every book is you do not need to read anything? Right Literally, the blurb they put on the cover of the book for the best some best selling author says the perfect place to meet Zig and Nola.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's grace, It is great.
Speaker 2: What is the And I know because you've done this in the past, what is the best thumbnail for the book? Because there are here here is you've been on book tour this week, right here is here is what nobody has said to you at a book tour. And I know people will read the book and finish it quickly and then show up at the book at the book tours and meeting you and they'll talk to you about the whole book. Nobody has said this to you on the book tour, oh I saw that coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thing, nobody will ever say that to you for this book. At the ending of this book has a twist that.
Speaker 1: By the way, forget the ending of a book. There is so much that happens.
Speaker 2: Like you get the main story, there is so much that goes on.
Speaker 1: Nobody nobody has said.
Speaker 2: To you oh yeah, oh yeah, I would have I would have done that I had.
Speaker 3: I have people who and you know, people my my reader, they're smart right like they are. They they do not want to get to the end and be like I guess, but they are coming and they're like dude, dude, oh yeah, And I love that. Like that to me when I write a book, I'm like, if you guess the ending, you win, but if you don't, I win. And I and and that's why I am. When I read a book, you beat everybody. In this book, you will beat everybody.
Speaker 1: Love the ending of this book. Can I ask you this?
Speaker 2: And from people that are reading it, has anybody has anybody confessed to tearing up during the Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Well because it's a really person.
Speaker 3: But it's a person, you know, and I do think and I'm just you know, it's super personal this one. And I mean that in the way it's a weird thing to say, but I'm going to say, supers, I'm going to tell you why.
Speaker 1: Here's why.
Speaker 3: So the book, you know, I never I never know the full quote unquote theme.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not like the setup. Let's just do this up.
Speaker 3: So a man walks into a funeral home carrying his favorite blue suit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: He has got a terminal disease, and this is the suit he wants to be buried him.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: If you go into your local bank and you open up a safety deposit box, then the paperwork is filed, and that means the government could eventually find it.
Speaker 1: Same thing.
Speaker 3: You go to the ups store, you open up a po box, right, But if you secretly sew something into the lining of your suit and you hand that suit over to your local funeral director, you have the ultimate untraceable hiding spot. And so the man goes back to his hotel. There is a guy with a gun waiting and says, where is it? Man says, I don't know what you're talking about, shoots the man dead. That suit is still in the funeral home. You won't believe what's hidden inside it or who's about to find it. Right, that's chapter one.
Speaker 1: Of the Viper. Yeah, no, that's how it starts. Chapter two. By the way, where did that idea? Where was that idea born in a funeral home?
Speaker 3: Because I'm frigging only I love funeral homes, So I go to this.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 3: I go to this funeral home with my buddy in Pennsylvania and usually go to the funeral home and you're like, for the wrong reason, you don't want to be there.
Speaker 1: This is light a day.
Speaker 3: And he's showing me, like, here where the urns are, and here's where all the scalpels are and the bone saws and these gruesome things.
Speaker 1: But then there's this one door.
Speaker 3: That has this giant padlock on it, and I'm like, well, what's that? And that's of course all I care about now, and he's like, oh, watch this, and he pulls out a key, undoes the padlock, opens it up. The door swings wide, and there's like all these clothes that look like your grandparents what they wore to your wedding, your bar mitzvah or whatever, like like the fancy affair. So it's like pinstry suits and like sequin gowns, and if you're old and you have no family, you pick out what you're gonna wear to your funeral.
Speaker 1: So that is true. That is true.
Speaker 3: And the craziest part is is there's like Jets jerseys in there. There's like a guy who's got a cowboy hat in there. Someone's like and he said, I'm like, what's the cowboy hat. He's like, yeah, this guy. I have a client, he said, my ex wife hates his cowboy hat. Make sure it's on my body, in my coffin. Like he's determined to the end to like put the knife in her.
Speaker 1: And people are crazy.
Speaker 3: But I looked at that and right there was like, this is the best hiding spot I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: No, really, is it? Really? Till you die, no one will find what you put in there. Right by the way. I love that. That's true. I love that.
Speaker 3: But you know it's true, right like when you see it and I say, oh, there's clothes but you pick out to me, You're like, there's something that hits you in the chest that goes that seems real to me. Yes, and that's what I and that to me is always where we start off.
Speaker 1: So so go back to So why the the personal? Is it personal?
Speaker 2: Because you've already donated your clothes to the funeral hallway?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I got to pick out my Superman outfit too. Can I tell you?
Speaker 3: Though I've never told you about this, my father, May he rest in peace.
Speaker 1: And this is also where the idea comes from.
Speaker 3: My father is the only guy I think in the whole universe who convinced the Florida DMV when he went to get his driver's license, and you got to take that serious picture. It's a government picture to let him wear a baseball cap in it. Okay, shut up, I promise you it is true. I have the physical proof. And I'm like, Dad, how and he's like, ah, the woman liked me. I'm like, so my father when we buried him, is buried in a baseball cap that says best pop ever. And I was like, and the people are like, they gotta put a something like my my dad didn't want to wear a suit to it. There's no way I'm putting a Yankee old you know, Jane yild sit on my dad. I'm like, he's wearing a baseball cap in his grave. I'm like, that's awesome, which is all I'm so, you know, I'm picking it. So but this so, why is this personal? So the opening page of the book, the very first thing you read is this great military quote and it says, I don't believe in closure. I'm not sure we ever get over anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's before chapter one, you're right.
Speaker 2: But because the first line is these were the last sixteen minutes of his life.
Speaker 1: I love that opening line. Yeah, no, I do too. I did too.
Speaker 3: But I know what you're talking about right by that opening little quote that you see, and it's about closure and and it's the last thing I put in the book. When the book was done, I found that quote and I was like, why is this It hit me like a harpoon in the chest, and I'm like, why is this closure quote hitting me? And here's the thing is, you know, we know each other a long time, and you know I have a complicated relationship with my father. I buried my mom and my dad and I spent a lot of books trying to figure out, you know, how to get over my parents' deaths. And so my mom died. I wrote a book about a character who lost their mom. My dad died there about character lost their dad. I'm a very complex person, right, like you can never crack my code. But when I was working on this, I so I'll just tell you the story. When I was at Michigan, and I was in my senior year at Michigan, I go to a register for classes and they say to me, you're kicked out of school. I'm like, what are you talking about. They're like, your bills aren't paid. No one paid your bills. And my first thought is like dad, and I know it's my dad. My dad was you know, not educated, always bad with money, like just created a lot of chaos in our lives. But I go downstairs. They give me some loans at one percent. They're really nice to be like, let that we will graduate on time. Like thank you to these strange you know, the woman and the bursters in the registruge office. So now I graduate, I move and you get your you know whatever, you get your mail all sent you at your new address. So now my real mail from home is coming to this new address I have, and in the mail Eliott comes forty thousand dollars of credit card debt on credit cards that I did not open, right, And that's how my father was paying for my college. He was taking out illegal credit cards. You know those ads to every college kid says, sign up for a new credit card. My dad signed up for all of them, every single one. And they said to me, the only way you're getting out of forty thousand dollars there's a debt is you got to prosecute your father. You got to say, because it's fraud, you have to testify against him, or otherwise all its debts on you. And I'm like, I'm not ratting out my own father, right, So of course, we make some peace with the companies.
Speaker 1: We give them money.
Speaker 3: And it's such a dumb plan too, because a credit card is a twenty two percent interest rate. My dad could have a one percent loan, So it's just so dumb. But again, we calm everything down and the ground gets normal again. But eventually, if you keep getting hit in the back of the head, you start looking over your own shoulder. Right, here's the part I missed about that story. And I told this part of my dad's funeral. When my dad was a kid, his father used to beat him up. He was a boxer in the military. He used to hit my dad. I know for sure my dad jumped in front of his younger brother to take the hits for him, for his younger brother so he won't get hit. I know my dad jumped in front of his own mother, my grandmother, so she wouldn't take the hit. And what I didn't realize is that that's what my dad was doing for me. He was trying to take the hit for me financially so that I could be the first of my immediate family to get out and go to a four year college. But I couldn't see that part of the story because I was so focused on my hurt and my pain and look what you did to me and me, me, me, me, And I couldn't see that he was trying that. And it goes to this one thing in the book, and I didn't until I got to the end. And again it won't warn anything, but there's this word at the end of the book in the viper called pentimento, and pentimento is a painting term.
Speaker 2: Can I can I tell you this just I couldn't pronounce the word it was.
Speaker 1: No, I knew, I knew what it wasn't but pimento. That's what I did. That's how I read it. You read it, of course like, all right, well, I guess arts used pimento.
Speaker 3: But I found this one. I didn't know what the word was. Pentimento. I never heard a word in my life. It's a it's a term in painting. When the paint gets so old and dry, it becomes transparent.
Speaker 1: You could see through it.
Speaker 3: And so what happens is is that you can actually see the artists, the original underneath the pencil lines that are on the canvas before it, before they paint it, so like you know, and that's what they do. They sketch it out, so a tree or a woman's dress. It's swaying one way. They change your mind, it sways the other way. So what you're seeing is the rough draft. You go to see a Davincian in a museum, you see there's like the kind of pencil lines in them, and those rough drafts, like all rough drafts, have regrets, they have mistakes, they have things you wish you could take back. And it dawned on me when I learned this word that we are all rough drafts. We all have past versions of ourselves that are filled with regrets and filled with flaws. And the thing is, though, you can't make a masterpiece without them, right. So to me, closures overrated. I think, what you have to do And this is what the whole book gave me is I finally realize you just have to love yourself for who you are, your good parts, your bad parts, your family parts, those things. And I finally this book for me, what the Viper did is it let me find some forgiveness for my dad and welcome to my free therapy.
Speaker 1: Really, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: And that and and so I realized as I was running, I'm like, those things that are affecting Zig and those things that are affecting Nola, it's nothing I made up. I was like, oh crap, that's what I've been dealing with for the past two years, trying to figure this out. And I was carrying that that that heartache and pagn that he caused me around and and I was when you let it go, man, it lightens you up.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, I when I when I read the book, I didn't get any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't get well, you have to come to therapy with me. It's way more fun. No, But like, do you feel better about I? Actually do? I mean that? You know I always say it because I'm being complete? No, no, no, you can't know that.
Speaker 2: You would have no idea, Like I read the book and I wasn't like, wow, I feel really enlightened, right, right, But what you do feel really enjoyed the book.
Speaker 3: Of course, But but I hope what you feel when you do it is that book is about kind of trying to accept yourself. Right, Like Nola will never let Zig get closer, I never like do anything.
Speaker 1: That's and and again not running the end of the book.
Speaker 3: But the whole book is about dealing and making peace with your past.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's Nola's mother's dead. She's got to find out who killed her mother.
Speaker 1: Simple thing.
Speaker 3: And that is literally the code. And for me, that is like, my dad is dead. How do I make peace with that? Because it's not Nola says, I don't care who killed my mom.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't like my mom. She but she has to make peace with it. And that's what she's doing.
Speaker 1: The whole book. The Hey, can I ask you this? So the funeral home thing is is real.
Speaker 2: You went to a funeral home and you saw the suits. There's the thing and the prob Well, anyway, this whole group of kids, Nola's mom and her friends and all of that, what are they called the Breakfast Club?
Speaker 3: Yeah, breakfast breakfast club if you are like gen X or millennial, like they have been coming out and drove to the book signing and they're like, I am seen Like this is a book that opens with halland Oates, ends with Betty Davis eyes and the gang in the group.
Speaker 1: Is called the Breakfast Club. But is that based on?
Speaker 2: So the whole thing was when they were in school, they would go to like people's houses for parties and they would run it through the house and they would steal stuff from inside the house from their friends, which, by the way, I grew up with a bunch of hoodlum friends.
Speaker 1: We never did that. We never did that.
Speaker 2: We did take a door off a hand and put it through a glass table, but we never stole from the person's house. Did Brad Meltzer, as a child in high school steal from their friend's house.
Speaker 3: First of all, I was the poorest kid. I would never steal from their houses. I was always like, how do you have stealing from your house? And no one want to crap in my house? My my Kenwood stereo like that was like I got a deal for like one hundred bucks. I thought I was rich, and like, no one stole from me. I would never steal from anyone. But here's the part that's true is and I won't I'm trying to say it without running that part of the book. We did very much find something illegal in someone's house.
Speaker 1: Did you realize, yes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess it's not what's aggressive.
Speaker 1: It was very aggressive.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you go to someone's house, you see stuff, right, you see how people live. I remember going to people's houses and again they had two cars at a real house. I was like, you have a house like and when you go in their bedrooms you'd see things right. But we walked in there was There's one scene that is one hundred percent true.
Speaker 1: There was one woman.
Speaker 3: Now woman, but was a girl back then who would go to her house and her hot mom always had bikini photos of herself on the refrigerator. And we would find every excuse to go get a drink from that refrigerator because we were like, oh, I'm so partsed right now.
Speaker 1: It just which is of course in the book.
Speaker 3: And then you're and then when you see that, you're seeing people's lives, and then you stumble upon you open a closet, you open a glove compartment, you open something, and there's something that you're like, oh crap, I didn't know they had this, and that part's real, right. And by the way, not only that, but the yellow corvette that they find it in. Yes, that's my wife's dad's car and his mid life crisis. Oh yeah, that's his midlife crisis car. I was like, Bobby, boy, that car is going to the book because I remember I was like fifteen years old, sixteen years old, and he bought a yellow vet, and I was like, even at sixteen, I was like, maybe tone it down a little bit, you know, but I was like, the yellow Vet's going in the book.
Speaker 2: So but then so so they find something illegal in the house and that that kind of sets up the breakfast club and everything that happens and unfolds. But then there's there's so many and this is what I mean, where nobody was like I saw that coming. There's so many twists and turns. There's so many things that go in a million different ways. The the Orange Company, the.
Speaker 1: Scene in the scene in the basement or whatever. Yeah, dude, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: That may be one of my favorite like action sequence scenes to like me and I again, I love making your term pages and that's fine, but I love everyone's reaction in that scene, right, everyone's true to for him there.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's great, it is, It is great.
Speaker 2: The can I ask you this like when you when you're writing, and so there's there's the Breakfast Club for lack of a better term, right, and there's five members in the in the Breakfast Club, and then there's there's Zig, There's there there's Nola, there's Roddy Who's who's Zig's brother? Like, and then and then you you learn other characters and like Jules and all these other people. Do you and this like just nerdy question do you have to like do you write down like, oh, this one's related to this one and this one was related to this one, and here's the arc to get there.
Speaker 3: And I know that I'll I know that I can keep that in mind, a lot of people, a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The thing the key is is what what I do have to write down and figure out is as I got. I used to give the whole plot in my head every book. I just had the plot in my head.
Speaker 1: I do the thing.
Speaker 3: Middle Age has taken that gift from me. And so at one point in the book, I remember Cory and I were talking. I wrote the plot. I'm like, right, right, right, this is what's gonna happen in this scene. And I got it in my head. And then two weeks later I was like, what's happening in this scene? And she's like, didn't you write it down? I'm like, I didn't write it down?
Speaker 1: Crap?
Speaker 3: And then I and I thought I wrote it down. I was like, I know I wrote it down, but I couldn't find it right. So I plotted again, and I tell the plot again, and then like two weeks after I write it, I find where I wrote it down.
Speaker 1: The only good news was it was the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: So I was totally consistent, Like whatever crap I make up, like, I'm consistently making it up. So that's the only thing I have to do is I do have to write down the bigger picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if the if the corvette is real, if the if the suits at a funeral home are real, is Malcolm Latrine reel who was always picked last?
Speaker 3: So Malcolm, I know, Malcolm Latrine is so every every every childhood story, I will say, nearly every childhood story in there is based on somebody.
Speaker 1: Is it really? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: So in fact, Melissa Cutman really a spoiled little turn bag.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: Don't go looking for initials in my books, like my high school, juniorhigh school, elementar school. In fact, the story that's real, the most real story that happened to me is there's a scene with a school yard fight, right, and I twisted the end of it. But when I first moved to Florida, I had come from New York, and I whatever. I grew up in Brooklyn and we used to get in the fights because people gotten fights in the school yard. So I but now I moved to Florida and I don't know anybody. And I go to Florida and all of a sudden, the first day, this kid will not be named comes in like throws his shoulder into my chest and knocks me back, and I'm like, and the thing is when you were the first day of school in a new school. The one rule I brought from Brooklyn is because I'm like, I'll fight this guy. But I'm like, you don't get in a fight unless you think you can win. You don't have to know you want to win. But at least it's close. This kid was a head taller than me, and I'm like, I don't know if this guy's the toughest guy in the school or not.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, do I pick a fight with this guy?
Speaker 3: Second day I go in, he does it again, and I'm like, it's my second day of school. It's like karate kid time. Right, It's like and finally, the shortest kid in the class who I kept the name on him, Scott Kohler, right sees what's happening to me and says, dude, can I just tell you some I'm like yeah, and he's like, I'm gonna make his name out. He says Elliott's a wuss and I'm like, thank you for that piece of information. And so of course the next day when he does it to me, I just crack him and throw him over the chairs and we're done. But that scene in the book, right, I won't warn the ending of what happens, right, I twist the ending of it, of course, But the setup is me me, it is one hundred percent the Obviously, what happens in the book to me is fifty times.
Speaker 1: Better of how it plays out.
Speaker 3: But make no mistake, my childhood is on display in this book, in the viper.
Speaker 2: And then I'll tell you the other the other thing that I love him. We've talked about this, I think I think we talked about it. It was either the first of the Zigandola books or the second one.
Speaker 1: But but Zig is here.
Speaker 2: He's a mortician, mortician at Dover, and you do such a beautiful job of paying tribute to the morticians, and like in I even read the acknowledgments in the book, but you do talk about how the morticians at Dover really are unbelievable people, not just because they're morticians and they're doing it, but like, these are people who lost their lives. I mean.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is for those who don't know Dover, those you know, you've seen it, those when a soldier dies in the military, that flag covered coffin comes off that plane and everyone salutes.
Speaker 1: But it's not just the soldiers. It's like the nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: All the Pentagon victims went to Dover, right, the space Shuttle went down, the astronaut's bodies went to Dover. In fact, right now in Venezuela, all the CIA people something goes south and sideways, their bodies are coming to Dover too. So Dover's filled with secrets, and I of course love secrets. But what I love more is that the morticians there will spend twelve hours rewiring someone's jaw, smoothing it over with clay because a family wants to see their son one last time in their coffin, rebuilding someone's hand because a mother says, I want to hold my child's hand one last time, right, And they will not take overtime, some of the ones I met, even though the government employees and twelve hours extra to make that done, and they're like, I want to show this fallen soldier the dignity and respect they deserve. And I love the fact that you get you know, in Dover, Delaware, of all places, is America's most secret funeral home, right, And that to me was just the coolest thing and I kept being attracted to writing about it, which when I look as I say it to you, I'm like, that's the most unhealthy thing. That all I want to do is spend my time in like you know, the secret funeral home. But I just appreciate the dignity and respect they bring to those people who have given and made the ultimate sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great, and you do you do that.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you also talk about if I may read, zig sat there a moment.
Speaker 1: This has nothing to do with Dover. By the way, zig sat there a moment. I'm the woman and.
Speaker 2: Her bulldog crossed the street, lowering its butt. The bulldog took a thick dump in the middle of the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: I promise you this is true. Is My wife tried to take out the word thick, and I know she's listening right now and laughing and nodding, and I was like, no, no, because I've evoked something and I just love that. Three years later in my life that that's what you read on the radio. I spent my whole trying to move my father's death and you read that one that she was like, don't put that in there.
Speaker 2: And then advice number three that Zig got when he turned forty nine. He got three pieces.
Speaker 3: Way let me can I tell you. I'll you have to read them, but I'll tell you where they come from.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Zig the character when he turned forty nine, he got three pieces of advice. Number one, never pass up a bathroom. Number two, don't trust a.
Speaker 1: Fart, great advice. Number three, never waste an erection.
Speaker 3: Fantastic advice. Let me tell you where this comes from. I am hiking in the mountains of Switzerland. Okay, this is you can't make this up. My buddy, who made a lot of money, says he lost his fiftieth birthday in Covid and he said, I'm going to take all my friends and you get yourself to Switzerland. I'm paying for the rest. So we all are like, oh my gosh, We're going to Switzerland and on the mountain on our like most tired day because basically for us, I'm a jew hiking right like it's fetching over the Alps, like that's it. And my buddy leans over to me and says, I am you know, I'm turning fifty and I just got the best advice. And he told me those lines and on the mountain, I opened up my notes app and was like this, I promise you will be in the next book.
Speaker 1: I promise you.
Speaker 3: And I just sent last week the screenshot of those of the advice to everyone that was hiking that day, and I said, and his name is Bubbles. I said, Bubble's advice is finally seeing the light of day. And again I could I could win like the Nobel Prize, I could win whatever. But this group of guys, my friends, are just so happy that don't waste an erection is a piece of a device in one of my books.
Speaker 2: You know what, it makes me happy. I pulled those two things out. We never spoke about that, never spoke.
Speaker 1: I got think dump and.
Speaker 2: The thing.
Speaker 3: But that's why we're friends, right, because it's like when these books are all just me being unfiltered and there, and you're pulling out all the parts that are me, so of course you're gonna find that.
Speaker 1: All right, here's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: I want to take a quick break, but when we come back, I have to address the witness Protection program, must okay, So give me a quick break, we'll come back. Brad Meltzer's brand new novel it's called the Viper.
Speaker 1: Its freaking awesome. It just came out.
Speaker 2: Brad will be at Barnes and Noble tonight at Tyson's Corner Center six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 1: You can see Brad there quick break at Ellie in the morning. Elliott.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I love, and you've always been like this, You've always been like this, is you learn real things in the book, even though it's fiction.
Speaker 1: It's just all made up. I love this. I know where you're going.
Speaker 2: The Marshals and the Witness Protection Program is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous, I mean it really is. And listen, I've been We've talked over the years. I've done the secret tunnels below the White House, I've done the Labyrinth below the Capitol, I've done the tunnels below Disney World. Nothing has been harder than getting into the Witness Protection program, right, because it's the Witness Protection program, right. And and when we think of witness protection, you think of like Tony Soprano or Henry Hill at the end the Goodfellas, Like you get a nose job.
Speaker 1: And then you know, you go live in Colorado somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you get an ID or a new like that your folder and you just move somewhere.
Speaker 3: And what I love is and that's why Witness Protection, just to be clear, was designed for take down the mob and it worked.
Speaker 1: It actually worked, so the mob became less impactful in the universe.
Speaker 3: But it's not like crime stopped, right, So what I love in the book that you see is that new criminals took their place. So, yes, mobsters were the biggest group that we're in Witness Protection, but then eventually gang members were the biggest group in Witness Protection because they took over after the mob and then nine to eleven happened. We started chasing terrorists, So terrorists with the biggest group. You want to know who the biggest group One of the biggest groups right now and Witness Protection is accountants.
Speaker 1: Because shut up, are you serious? Because we move in.
Speaker 3: A world of data right And I just love that we've made like the full swing from like the mobster to accountant the bullet like Morty something who has bar Mitzvah had lias for everybody like so, And I love the fact that when you read this book, you will never look at Witness Protection the same way again.
Speaker 1: Can I ask this?
Speaker 2: And I and I don't want it to give anything away.
Speaker 1: Is you're right?
Speaker 2: You think that there's some you know, go back to the go back to to Mobland. There's you know, some old Italian who picks up and moves to Colorado and he blends into a neighborhood and nobody.
Speaker 1: Knows who it is.
Speaker 2: And you go through this thing in the book where you explain, well, now somebody new moves into a neighborhood. I could go on Zillo and nobody paid for his house. I can google him and learn everything about him. So you can't just drop one person into a neighborhood. And I don't know if I could say what what?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I won't say what it is.
Speaker 3: But you're right, like it used to be, you drop a person neighborhood, you look at your neighbor and you're like, I want to talk to that person or I don't all meet him, right, won't? And now if you saw a new neighbor that came to your neighborhood, and again, if they had anything shifty about them, or even if they didn't, you do look at Zillo, you see what they pay for their house, because we're all nosy, but maybe you look at their Facebook page. But if they don't have a Facebook page, oh my gosh, that's even more crazy now.
Speaker 1: Now it's even more suspicious.
Speaker 3: And so what the Witness Protection had to figure out how to do is how to build new people. And by the way, you can now look and see if they have a criminal record. You can see if they're a pedophile. You can see where they went to school. You can see where their mutual friends are. If they went to that high school. I know that high school. Everyone now knows someone at some high school. I have a connection with that. And so if you have no connection with anything where they went to a school, you do, and there's no connection, it's so much harder to make fake backgrounds for people. And I won't ruin the ending of it, but when you read the viper again, Witness Protection is going to blow your mind.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. But is that? But it is accurate? Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, the thing that was really fun for me is the people who helped me with the Witness Protection side. We knew I knew, they knew my books and now was really helpful. And you know, obviously there were things they said to me. They said, I'm going to tell you this. You can't print this right, don't put this in the viper, but you need to understand this so you can have this part and that will make more sense. And and and the big thing that I know you're thinking right now, that's in the book, the big boom. They helped me with that and was like, let's just say this is very close to something that I will not say to you. And I was like, tell me now, But I love when that when I mean now that it's the best part of the viper to me, it's the best, Like that's the thing that everyone said to me, like, oh that's a good bit.
Speaker 1: That's a fun bit. Are there?
Speaker 2: And I'm trying to remember, yeah, no, this is in the book.
Speaker 1: How many WHITSEC offices are there? I actually you know the number? Is it there?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot. No, there's a lot. And because you know what they do, you got to check in that. The thing is will you explained the witse Oh yeah? So when this protection is what's so great about it is it offers you this ability to escape your life and start over, right, which is so tan and right You're gonna leave it all behind, and we all want to do it, by the way, I would do it tomorrow, right, And that's why all of us right now you're like, wait, start my life over.
Speaker 1: I get rid of everything good and the bad. Right, I do it. I start over tomorrow. And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: And but here's the problem is that the Witness Protection program has told this is their stat and I love this stat. They said they have never ever lost anyone in Witness Protection, not once, as long as they followed our rules, right, which is the huge asterisk. Right. Well, you say in the book, the worst thing that happens is they get bored. That's the thing is people get bored. And what they do is is, you know, you leave behind Okay, you don't like your mother in law, you leave behind you Like, that's a good one. I'll tell you that's fine. But people got to leave behind their sisters. Sometimes they won't need to take your dog. And that one undoes a lot of people, right, it really does, because people are like, I'll be fine without my dog, and then six months go by and you're like, let me just call and get a picture. And when you call, guess what, You're not listening to the rules, and you're now the walking dead.
Speaker 1: You're in trouble.
Speaker 3: And the problem is and does explained to me, is there is a call in all of our chests. It's the call from home. And when you escape it and you and you say goodbye, six months later people get lonely and they get sad and they can't follow it. And I love that. There's something so human about that, and of course plays a huge part in the.
Speaker 1: Viper is there so?
Speaker 2: But there are definitely WITSEC offices around DC.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, oh yes, oh yes, because don't well and think of it this way, just logically, right, think of what you have to do in WITSEC because you're bringing someone who's going to testify secretly to testify, right, which means you need to be near courthouses, so you can't just be in the middle of nowhere. So think about it, right, And I love and the funny party. This is last night. I'm at my event in Baltimore and this woman comes up and she's like, I work for the Marshals.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know this book was about witness protection.
Speaker 3: And she says, and she blurts out where one of the She's like, there was a building it was.
Speaker 1: I'm just so and so and we used to it.
Speaker 3: And she blurts out at my book signing where the secret location is. I'm like, this is fantastic, and she said, we used to use this building we have bought for the government. The government, you know, needed it for other things and we took it for a safe house. And I was like, that's why'd you tell me now that you should have told me that two years ago.
Speaker 1: I would have put in the book.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many did the marshals tell you how many people are in witness Protection? Every time there's a story and we do it all the time, every time there's a story like in the news and we start talking to.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, they can't figure this out. They can't figure this out. Everybody, us listeners, everybody's like witness protection. Obviously of course do we know it's very well? They don't tell you number. I don't know if they've released it. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: But but the thing, the heart, the thing that I really want to know is how many people did it fail?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 1: How many?
Speaker 3: And not because the marshals have incredible respectful Sure, they are incredible, and that's why I love working with them. What I want to know is how many people screwed themselves by Lee, because they'll tell you, you know, over time, how many ex people they've saved.
Speaker 1: There's some sure number on their website. Right.
Speaker 3: I want to know how many people could stand leaving their dog, how many people couldn't stand leaving their sister or their brother.
Speaker 1: That's the fascinating thing to me. Is there another Zig and Nola?
Speaker 3: Or we don't Oh yeah, no, no, no, I'm still going. We're still going, still going, Yeah, we're still going. The reason I so here's what I figured out. So Zig is this character who believes if you're a kind person and you know you're good to people, you make the world a better place. It's a beautiful idea, completely naive idea, but that's an idea worth fighting for, right, Nola, she's like my girl with the dragon tattoo, right like and and if you like those books, you'll like the Viper. But she believes the exactly opposite. She's like, that's crap. Like if you want the world to make sense, you grab it by the throat and you force it to make sense. And especially when you see injustice, you gotta fight. And I used to think Elia for the first two books. I was like, well, I'm I'm zig because I do believe if you're kind, you make the world a better place. But I'm also Nola, and I feel like, if you see someone being picked on and use your voice and fight, harden you ever fought before?
Speaker 1: Man, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: And I used to just think that these books were my way of figuring out which side of me is right?
Speaker 1: Am I zig? Am I No?
Speaker 3: And again when I wrote The Viper, it dawned on me. I'm like, I don't have to pick. You don't have to pick. All of us are zigging. No, all of us are really kind on some days and on other days, Man, we've got some fight with us, especially.
Speaker 1: When you see someone being picked on.
Speaker 3: And I love the fact that it lets me explore this kind of you know this again, it's the thing that keeps coming back to.
Speaker 1: But I really believe if you.
Speaker 3: Love yourself for who you are, that's your ultimate superpower you unlock. That's the thing, is just accepting yourself. And I think we spend so much time beating ourselves up. And I know we were talking and joking before about the theme of the book, but that's the theme of the Breakfast Club too.
Speaker 1: It's all over the book, right.
Speaker 3: The whole thing of the Breakfast Club is I remember seeing that movie for the first time and being like, I guess, you know, I'm certainly part of the nerd guy, and I'm you know, I probably got some of the tough guy into too, because I'm just angry at some crap my dad. And then by the end to the movie, You're like, you know what, Yeah, I'm a little bit of the athlete and night. Yeah, I love Molly Ringwam and I'm a freaking like we're everybody. Yeah, right, And that's that's why I picked the Breakfast Club in the book, right, is like it's just that idea of like trying to get to a point in middle aged somewhere now of just just accept yourself, man, all your flaws, love your bad parts as much as you love your good parts.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing, because I know, I know you got to jump.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if this has ever come up between the two of us, but I mentioned I read.
Speaker 1: I read everything. I read the acknowledgments.
Speaker 2: I love that Michale Jola gets mentioned in the acknowledgments from the Airborne Toxic Event I love him.
Speaker 1: He's a good friend. But is he really did we know that? I don't think. I don't think we knew that he's a good guy. He is. His book was great, Hollywood Park, What do your thing? Helped them? When he was writing in the beginning, He's like, I wrote a novel. Can we talk?
Speaker 3: I'm like, of course, brother, So that's yeah, of course, Hollywood Park, I have That's why their original event's copy.
Speaker 1: Of Oh it's so good. I love friend. But he so his.
Speaker 3: Line in there, he has a line in there that because I blurbd that you can see my name is on the book, like I've blurbd that book. And there's a line in there that says, I'm gonna mess it up because it's been like five years since it's been out.
Speaker 1: Never wasting erection.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I love though, is that I know that you've said that out loud. There are so many people right now that are like, Honey, Ellied and Brown.
Speaker 1: Don't waste a baby, don't waste.
Speaker 3: But he has the thing that says, like, there's no such thing as a good fight, like when you get into it, or a fair fight, when you get into it, just fight and and I that was my way to tip the hat to him, and and some of the stuff that's revealed there you see is of course a tip of that hat.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. That's awesome. Are people bringing yellow Starburst to.
Speaker 3: No one's brought yellow star Wars, but they are bringing the tattoos, are saying the tattoo that. So we gave these Viper tattoos out for anyone who joined our mailing list on our website, and I will say tonight, anyone who comes to Tyson's Corner like where we were a couple of little kids that people tatted up their little kids. So I'm still waiting for someone to do a tram stamp. I'm like, someone whoever does the tram stamp at Tyson's Corner, you are first in line. You are first in line, because that's the only picture I one because I thought I thought, I was like, I want someone to bring a kid, and on the second event, someone's like, here's my kid. I tatted them up for you, and I was like, holy cow. So I think the only thing on the checklist at this point is tramstamp, and then the Viper Tour will truly be complete.
Speaker 2: The Viper a Zig and Nola novel is out and available now.
Speaker 1: Brad will be at Tyson's Corner Center.
Speaker 2: The Barnes and Noble at Tyson's Corner Center starting at six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 1: Dude, congratulations that book is freaking awesome.