Speaker 1: You want to be an American, tell me back on seven hundred W LWV two and three. Bengals are at the Packers Sunday four twenty five. You'll here to hear Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred W W with a new Joe and a new toe with the helm Joe Flacco debuting with four or five days of prep. Bengals lose three in a row. Can they snap the streak and give the ball to a guy who has now played and beaten? By the way, if the Bengals can pull this miracle off, we'll have beaten the Green Bay Packers twice in a four week span. It's like almost like he's a quarterback of a NFC North team or something. It's like the quarterback of the Chicago Bears. Dan Horde, of course, voice of the Bengals, jumps on the show this morning every Friday morning to chop it up. Danny, welcome, How are.
Speaker 2: You, Sonny, I'm great.
Speaker 3: How are you doing well?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. So he got Joe with a good toe. And when you heard the news, because we all heard the news as the voice of the Bengals, when you heard either the unconfirmed rumor or the announcement that Joe Flacco was signed He's coming to Cincinnati. What was your immediate gut reaction immediately when you heard that.
Speaker 2: I was stunned.
Speaker 4: I was stunned by the person, not the fact that they made a trade, because we have heard those rumors for a couple of weeks, and the names that had been bandied about most frequently were Russell Wilson and Jamis Winston.
Speaker 2: Neither one of those guys got me too excited.
Speaker 4: I was a little bit interested when I heard Andy Dalton might be a possibility that one obviously could have made some sense. But I did not expect Joe plackom. But they felt they had to do something, and I'm excited to see how it looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we shall see on Sunday. Now, I's only had what four or five days of work put in, but you know, his experienced quarterback. He's done this before, So you know, veteran quarterback coming in that doesn't concern me all that much. And maybe a basic game plan for him because he can't go a full playbook with Joe, Maybe that's maybe less is more here, huh.
Speaker 4: I think the fact that he's faced the Packers and faced them recently.
Speaker 2: Is really helpful. He knows what to expect from the Green Bay defense.
Speaker 4: Some of that off the plate in terms of trying to get up to speed quickly so he can really concentrate on the play calls and that kind of stuff with the Bengals, And yeah, I think you're right, they've got to cut down in the playbook a little bit. But the dude's been playing for eighteen years. He's stepped in under similar circumstances before. A couple of years ago with Cleveland, he did have more practices, but he had not been with the team in that year. He hadn't even been playing. So I think if anybody can do this in a short span of time, it's somebody who has two hundred regular season NFL starts under his belt and eighteen playoff games and a Super Bowl win.
Speaker 1: All right. So the concern then, of course the most obviously, And to me, there's a lot of nuances with the game. And I'm curious to hear your take on all that. To me, does this begin an end to a large degree with what happens with the offensive line? I mean, Bengals, A lot of what seventy five pressures, eleven sacks and five games. Their highest graded pass blocker, Dylan Fairchild, will be out. And we're not really good at at scheming for the run either, as they are on pass protection. So you've got Orlando Brown who's not playing the highest graded run blocker and not I think I think I saw someone Jamar Cha says a better blocking grade. Nonetheless, is that for you? Is that the concern is, like, hey, if the offensive line can at least be paying, we stapp fly. I didn't think it was as bad as advertising Detroit. There was some. It was just Browning couldn't find that anyone open. It was it was like a skulled dog or something. I don't know what. And Zach Taylor, I think admitted as such as like, it's more mental. He's just out of sorts. We've got to get somebody else in here. If they can do an adequate job in blocking, give it Joe Flacco time he can get the ball down field. And you've got Jamar and you've got t in maybe different game. Does it all come down to that?
Speaker 4: Well, offensive line is a major factor regardless of who's back there. And I do think the facts while we tend to assign them to the offensive line, it's a quarterback stat as well. Tom Brady was less mobile than Joe Flacco is and he did get sacked very often because he got rid of the ball. Joe Flacco is going to get rid of the ball. So a few weeks ago when Cleveland faced Green Bay, the Browns have had major issues on their offensive line as well this year, he only got sacked twice. Why because he got rid of the ball. So that's getting it out quickly, that's throwing it to your checkdown quickly. That's throwing it out of bounds from time to time to a boyd to sack. So, yes, the offensive line has to continue to get better, and I did think there was some improvement against Detroit last week. But I also think that the sacks at least will probably go down because Joe Flaco simply is not going to take them.
Speaker 1: At the same time, he was benched because of a lack of mobility behind a poor offensive line.
Speaker 2: Arguably really not true.
Speaker 4: No, he was benched because the Cleveland Browns are rebuilding and they drafted two quarterbacks this year and they wanted to start playing one of the rookies. So I'm not saying that Joe is playing all that effectively. Had they had a great record in Cleveland, he probably would have had a few more starts. But it wasn't because of his mobility. It's because the Cleveland Browns are in total rebuild mode and they've got Dylan Gabriel and they want to see what they've got.
Speaker 1: And you think it's Flaco would still be the quarterback if the Bengals hadn't come call him. I mean, he got the reason they put Dylan Gabriel edge. Yeah, what I'm saying is they put Dylan. They put Dylan Gabriel in for real because it was it Dylan Gabriel's time, or just Flacco was inefficient.
Speaker 2: Well, a little bit of both.
Speaker 4: But you began floony by saying he was benched because of his mobility.
Speaker 2: That's not the case.
Speaker 4: He was a combination of He wasn't playing very well and they wanted to go with their rookie. So it wasn't mobility.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was fair.
Speaker 4: Fact that they're turning to their rookie, Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 1: Flacco's all right, So we talked about the line issues with them. The concern, obviously, is going to be Micah Parsons and Rashan Gary. That is arguably that one of the toughest to pass rushers, if not the best in the NFL. They're going to come fast, They're going to come furious. I'm sure they're champion at the bit to come up the Bengals. How do you scheme against those two?
Speaker 4: Well, you know you're going to have to give extra protection on Micah Parsons side, which is why Gary was the happiest person in the world when Cleveland swung that trade. You know, teams used to devote extra attention to blocking him. Now it has to be devoted toward, you know, protecting a quarterback against Michael Parsons. That allows for Shawn Gary to eat. So it's a major challenge. The Bengals faced Michael Parsons last year when he was with Dallas. Didn't have a sack, didn't have a tackle. Bengals won the game largely matched up in that game against the marius men, So a lot of this is going to fall on a marius Now. Looking at the Packers so far this year, they've been moving Michaeh Parsons around quite a bit, so I'm sure that there will be snaps where it's up to Orlando Brown Junior to try to keep them away from Joe Flacco. It's a major concern, There's no doubt about that. That's why a lot of people think the Green Bay is one of, you know, the five or six top candidates to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Defense, of course, has struggled in a few areas, a number of areas up against the Packers. How does that match up play out your mind?
Speaker 4: I think they've got to stop the run first and foremost. You know, the Packers traded last year for Josh Jacobs and he had an awesome first year in a Green Bay uniform. That's where their offense begins. Jordan loves a really good quarterback as well, but to me, it begins with Jacobs. He's a beast, two hundred and twenty three pound guy, doesn't go down easily. The Bengals run defense was pretty good last week, you know, considering how good the Lions are in the running game. They forced five punts. No team has forced Detroit to punt more this year. They got one takeaway. They need some help from their offense. The offense has to stop giving the opponent short fields. The offense has to stop having so many three and outs. That keeps the defense out there forever. I think if the offense were more efficient, we'd probably be saying, huh, the defense is starting to look a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we always talk about it's the balance. It's complimentary football. You can only overcome so much with a good offense and a defense, and we saw that narrow. Let's face it, Joe Burrow covered up a lot of mistakes with this team, and as a hell of a gap between Joe Burrow and Browning and Flacco for that matter, at least this version of the forty year old Joe Flacco at this point too. You keep him upright and allow him to operate and give him time. I like our chances with t Higgins and Jamar Chase out there. I don't suspect this is going to be a shootout, but at the same time, if you make it competitive, I think that buys you a little bit more time for Zach Tanner and company to figure things out.
Speaker 4: I think that's true, and I think I'm also looking at the next four weeks. So if Flacco looks decent this week and even if the Bengals lose to Green Bay, which is obviously a strong possibility, have a two touchdown underdog. After that, you've got three straight home games Pittsburgh on a Thursday night. Steelers have looked good so far, but Thursday night home games are a big advantage. Then you've got the Jets. Only when this team left, then you've got the Bears. You know, the Bears have been better, but I don't think anybody thinks they're great yet. So if you lose this week and managed to win three straight home games against the teams I just mentioned, you're five and four, You've got Blacko, You're feeling better about your offense. You know, you're right back in the thick of things in an AFC in general and an AFC North in particular that seems really unsettled right now. So I'm kind of looking at this as a four week deal and see if Flaco can stabilize things during this stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nine wins feels like that right around that number, doesn't it like you could you could.
Speaker 4: Be Yeah, I at this point, I'm really thinking I'd be surprised if anybody in the division wins. Can now, maybe the Steelers are going to prove us wrong. They are three and one, They've got Aaron Rodgers. Maybe they're going to turn out to be better than we all thought. I don't know, but I'm not sold yet. And obviously Baltimore at one in four with a ton of injuries including Lamar, who knows how many games they're ultimately going to win. I don't think anybody is too concerned about Cleveland, So yeah, I'm with you. I think nine wins, who knows, maybe eight might do it. There have been years where, you know, Division champions have been a game under five hundred. That would not be the first time that ever happened.
Speaker 1: Now, who's who the hell saw the Ravens collapse happen, even outside of the injury to QB one. I mean, that wasn't like they were playing great all that great football. That's that's probably the biggest surprise in the AFC is just how bad Baltimore went.
Speaker 4: Baltimore this year is Cincinnati early last year. I think they've given up thirty eight or more points in every game but one. So, you know, the Lamar injuries last week was obviously a huge factor, but their defense has just been atrocious and nobody saw that coming to this extent.
Speaker 1: Now the whole league seems up for grabs with the Eagles getting beat by the Giants. I mean, the Giants look like a freaking deep playoff team today. You know, now tomorrow, next week maybe a different story. But the entire league, that's the greatness of it, though, as you know, is a parody, right is You know, one team is ranked number one one week and then they're down to five after a close loss. But that's how close is in the NFL. You've really got a chance here and you can't write the Bengals off yet. We'll see what Joe Flacco can do, and if you can get to nine wins, you're right there, I think. And I don't think he's signed Joe Flacco unless you think that Joe Burrow is going to come back this season. I think, do you think that's It's like, well, we hope to get him back. It feels like when they made the move, like, yeah, we got a strong indication he'll be back in December.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that, but I do know that Joe Burrow is determined to be back. I don't think there's any real medical determination yet, but you're hopeful that he'll be back, and he's determined to be back. Joe Burrow is held on coming back and playing in December if it matters. So I do agree that the front office is trying to do everything they can to keep this team in contention in case he can come back, with the hope that he can can come back, knowing that he is determined to come back. So Windows, you know, you talked about the NFL in general, but really in the AFC in particular, with the Chiefs under five hundred, the Texans two time defending champ in their division under five hundred, Baltimore at one in four, you know, the Colts are four and one. Are we buying the Colts as the best team in the AFC?
Speaker 2: You know I'm not.
Speaker 4: I mean kudos too, and you know Danny Dimes for what they've done so far, but I still don't really think of Indianapolis as a Super Bowl contender. So the AFC is wide open. If he can just get into the playoffs right and Burrow does come back, you got a shot.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. Keep forty year old Joe Flacco alive for six weeks, Roughly six weeks that's that's the key.
Speaker 2: And he has to play well.
Speaker 4: Of course, protecting him is going to be a key to him playing well and hopefully getting a little bit out of the running game as well. But if he plays well like he did two years ago with Cleveland when he came you know, off the couch and one Comeback Player of the Year award for a five week stretch, he threw for three hundred or more yards and four straight games, the only quarterback in Cleveland Browns history to ever do that after not being with the team basically all year. He started playing at the you know, the end of November. If he can do anything remotely close to that, the Bengals have a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I say that because you know, the the aforementioned leaders, the FC North, the Pittsburgh Steelers that look like the darling of the division right now, that could change tomorrow. You also have a forty year old quarterback there too, and we know that it's awfully tough playing this man's game as a young man. As an old man entirely different story, and certainly his career has been plagued by injuries. As you get older, that does happen, you hope for that against the division opponent. But you know, you look at it and go, it's not like that. They're They're doing a great job of protecting him in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty amusing that with forty year old Joe Flacco, the Bengals don't have the oldest quarterback.
Speaker 1: In the Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Rodgers is actually older than he is.
Speaker 1: How about this, It's like Joe comes back, something happens to Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco in December goes to the Steelers and now he's played for every team of the division.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but nobody saw the possibility, at least of Joe Flacco beating Green Bay twice in a three week span with two different teams. That's never happened in NFL history. Apparently Jack Kemp back in the day beat the same team starting for two different and teams during the course of the season.
Speaker 2: But it didn't happen in such a short span.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: It would be incredible if Placo and the Bengals pull it off.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to give us a reason to listen, that's for sure. Before right, Darren Wright, I'm actually excited. I was like, God, what am I going to do on Sunday, and I was like, I got to get the popcorn and watch this game to see what happens with Joe Flacco. Real quick here, Dan, before you go before the Bengals game. Of course tomorrow, you're gonna call, hopefully the fifth straight win for the uc Bearcats. Got UCF and Town and talk about quarterback controversies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not for controversy reasons, but for injury reasons. Yes, they've had three starting quarterbacks this year that have been injured at various points. The guy that started last week at his Arminius sling in the second half, they list and is questionable. I would be surprised if he plays. The person that finished the game for UCF last week, started their season opener, hurts back in that game on a targeting penalty, but he did come back and play last week. I think he's healthy. One of the three guys that has started appears to be healthy, So he'll be the guy that starts after that. I have no idea what they would do if you gets hurt.
Speaker 1: It was so fun watching last week's game and you see nothing. Is there anything cooler than the student section rushing the field after win there's nothing cooler in college sports.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of the field storming.
Speaker 4: You know, it causes your school to be fined, typically because leagues try to prevent that from happening for safety reasons, but schools typically happily pay that fine, thinking, you know, that means really good things for our team if our fans want to do that. So we'll cough up the dough and hope we have to do it again.
Speaker 1: Now, like Iowa stated, and fight in this one, because for a minute was like, man, they're going to blow these guys out, and they came back in thirty to thirty. The final you see rises number twenty six in the country. Should they have been higher?
Speaker 4: You know, honestly, I don't really care. I think if they win this week, they'll pop into the top twenty five.
Speaker 2: If they win their next two, they would definitely pop into the top twenty five.
Speaker 4: And next week's game is a road game against Oklahoma State, a team that's already fired its coach, So you know, there's a really good opportunity to win two more in a row with tomorrow's game being at home, and if that happens.
Speaker 2: They would definitely be a top twenty five team.
Speaker 1: Now, they are fun to watch. They're absolutely fun to watch. And you know, you talk about Brendon s Sooresby and how fun that is, but i mean, let's face that defense is getting after what back their quarterback. I think what three or four sacks in that game last Saturday, and Soresby's jersey's completely clean, and you give them time give that. It really is an exciting product. And I'm glad people are shown up at Nipper to watch the Bearcats.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 4: And I'm glad you mentioned the offensive line because we have been very critical of the Bengals offensive line in recent years, and deservedly though they have not performed as well as they've needed to perform. But you see, on the other hand, their offensive line has been amazing. They've given up one sack all year, tied for first in the country. And one of the teams that they're tied with his Navy, a team that never passes, so that shouldn't count. They're running backs, they're three or four yards downfield before they get touched, yeah, on many of their runs. So this offensive line has just been tremendous so far in this year.
Speaker 1: A lot of arrows directed rightly so at Sadderfield, and that looks he's got them playing at a top level right now. And it's fun to watch Dan hord with a call tomorrow from Nippert Stadium of the Bearcats. And then Sunday it's at Green Bay. Gets on the plane, goes to Green Bay, one of the coolest places to watch a football game in the country, and we'll have the call for a four to twenty five with he and a lap here on the home of the best Bengals coverage. Dan all the best, Buddy, Thanks again for jumping.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, my pleasure, selone, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Take care, sir. Let's get a news update in and one return on the show on seven hundred WLW. We got some movies and streaming to catch up on. We'll do that just ahead, including a John Candy bio pick or maybe it's a series. I'm not sure anyway, if you're a fan of the late comedian John Candy, just ahead, seven hundred. Why Mike and Morner, how are you, buddy doing?
Speaker 5: Rold good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine? Mike. Is Mike Debuski from ABC News in New York breaking down movies this week. John Candy as a documentary. I saw the tease for it on Amazon Prime, but I was really sure, I don't know what to make of this whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So this is a new documentary looking back on the life of the late comedian John Candy, a guy we probably all have some sort of relationship with, whether you know, I'm from Home Alone at the very end of that movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Stripes Flash.
Speaker 1: He was in a ton of movies.
Speaker 5: Stretching from the nineteen seventies all the way up to the nineteen nineties. He unfortunately passed away from a heart attack in nineteen ninety four. This new documentary all started because of Ryan Reynolds, if you can believe it, a fellow Canadian comedian who a few years ago put together sort of a highlight reel of John Candy's career, looking back on his life, and he posted that video online and it went super viral. People really respond on it to it, seeming to indicate that there was an appetite for this type of thing. Ryan Reynolds approached to Colin Hanks, the son of Tom Hanks, who directed this documentary, and the family of John Candy, including his two children and his late wife, all of whom participated in this documentary looking back through their own old home movies, looking back through interviews with John Candy that kind of pieced together this story of a guy who really did not expect to be a comedian. He actually was, you know, looking to either go into the military as a young man or maybe become a professional football player, but found himself to be a very talented comedian, starting off with the sort of false comedy sketch comedy show SDTV sort of known as like the anti SNL for a little while, and then moving into movies like Stripes and like Splash, as we said, Uncle Buck Home Alone, Like these are you know, classic films that John Candy really did change for the better.
Speaker 1: Right he was known as being this very generous performer.
Speaker 5: I actually had a chance to talk to excuse he had a chance to talk to John Candy's two children, who were just kids when they when their dad passed away in nineteen ninety four, and they said that the experience of putting this documentary together, of piecing through all this old footage of him really did make them feel like detectives in their own father's life. That's the words that they use, and it really does show up on screen. It's a really moving documentary. I have to say it's worth your time if you like John Candy or if you're just interested in the history of comedy.
Speaker 1: He seemed like a really, really good guy both on screen and off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, generosity is a word that he's coming up in interviews in this documentary. You hear from a lot of big time comedians first and foremost, hear from Bill Murray, mel Brooks, Katherine O'Hara, Conan O'Brien, Martin Short like, there's a ton of people that they got together for this documentary, and they all said that John Candy was such a great scene partner because he was always giving you something to work as an actor. As a performer, he was never trying to win the scene. He understood that it was a collaborative process. And I think that really does speak to John Candy's whole oubra right, His whole sort of mood was to be generous, to make sure that not just the performers were taken care of, but the cast and crew as well. In addition to making time for his family and the stresses of that did take a toll on him. John Candy was a heavier guy, and Hollywood put pressure on this man, according to this documentary, to a a little overweight so that they could poke fun at him. Some of these older interviews with John Candy as well are kind of uncomfortable to sit through because he can tell the interviewers trying to get a joke out of, you know, his weight, when you know John Candy himself is not very comfortable with that, and that tension also does sort of run through this entire documentary where you know he did feel stressed by that.
Speaker 1: He never let it, you know, derail.
Speaker 5: His career necessarily, but that did, you know, take a toll on him, you know, over the cour or's it been years.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go top three, I'm gonna go Uncle Buck Stripes. And then kind of like back of the Room Canadian Bacon, which is a movie about with John Candy I think played the mayor and it's about the president of the United States needs a controversies who gin's up basically a war against Canada, and.
Speaker 5: The Canadian part of this runs through this so big way I have to say, Yeah, I gotta say I think we should shout out playing Strains and Automobile.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Baseballs is another great one and something that people forget that John Candy was in was one of Steven Spielberg's first movies nineteen forty one at War drama of all things. But yeah, he really did have a pretty varied career. I also just love him in Home Alone. I think the last one in the last speak was freely with him and the Catherine O'Hara in Home Alone, and he's.
Speaker 1: The polka singer, like.
Speaker 5: Classic John Dannity stuff where it's really funny but it's also.
Speaker 1: Really heart selt and warm. Yeah, he never comes over and like steals the whole movie. Kind of guy. But at the same time, like if he like, I think the best cameo sort of cam something would be Vacation with Chevy Chase. I mean he came in as a security guard and just owned it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and that was actually the documentary gets into this. They were kind of just looking for a guy, and John Candy was a.
Speaker 6: Round It's even so it's sort of.
Speaker 5: Happenstance that he fell into that role. But yeah, the end of Vacation is a great example of that. Playing that, like, you know, a character that he says was inspired by one of the characters he played on SCTV.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, in this in this.
Speaker 5: New role that was kind of update guy, but like that force to deal with the you know, obviously the craziness of Chevy Chase.
Speaker 1: So it's it's good. Used to love s c TV because that's where I grew up in Western New York and so you know, you get the Canadian stations and that was like before us and l there was that that was on se TV is like on Friday nights, I think or something like that, and so you'd watch that and the Mackenzie Brothers and but but so many people came out of Second City, Chicago and then to Toronto. You know, it's you know, dan Aykroyd's in there on Candies in there, and you just go on and on with all these great names and people, you know, Geene Levy, et cetera, Catherine O'Hara, and then they all come back together and you go, oh, yeah, I remember them when and of course now they're older now. So anyway, is it one or three or five? And how well? Is it a series? Mike, No, it's a.
Speaker 3: One and done.
Speaker 5: It's okay, about a two hours so maybe like hour forty five documentary on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd watch that all right theaters. Let's pivot from the small screen to the big The new Tron movie is out right now, and I know that Nine Inch Nails. I'm not a huge Nine Inch Nails fan, but I do like some of their songs, so that kind of intrigued me. And I saw that Jeff Bridges back, right, jeth Bridges is back.
Speaker 5: This is the third Tron movie and Jeff Bridges is in all of them. So this is a classic sort of sci fi franchise. All got started about forty three years ago in the early nineteen eighties with this story of Jeff Bridges with a computer programmer who got sucked into a computer game, and that computer game with brawn of course, with big neon lights and at this point now visuals, but even still it was a really you know, impactful movie in the history of sci fi cinema. They follow that up in twenty ten with Tron Legacy, that, of course, you know, also starred Jeff Bridges, and you know, had this really cool daft punk soundtrack that a lot of people still listen to now We're back with Tron Aris. This stars Jared Leto and Greta Lee alongside the returning Jeff Bridges.
Speaker 1: As you said, it is scored by Nine Inch Nails.
Speaker 5: So they didn't get that punk back that punk broke up, unfortunately, but they did get a similar sort of like electronic kind of vibe back. And that is one of the big draws of these Tron movies. They have these killer soundtracks, these really distinctive visuals. However, they're never quite reviewed positively in terms of the stories, and I think that is holding true with this new one. I'm looking at the New York Times review right now, which is titled who needs logic when you have Neon? And then of course the rap also says skip the hack sequel, just download this down track.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing parts of Tron becase because back then was when we first got a pay cable like HBO, and there were four movies and they'd run them all like all the time. You'd seen the same four movies over and over, and one of them would be Tron And I remember, even as a kid watching it, going it's pretty cheesy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even in period, I remember I had a Tron video game back in the day, and that's how I learned about Tron. I was like everybody was saying, it's like, oh, Tron Legacy's coming up. They made a movie based on video games. No, no, no other way around. So is it is it any good? I mean, what what's the reviews like? Not not super positive, it seems like, but as we said, that's always been the case with Tron movie.
Speaker 1: You know a little bit of style over substance, but that's not always a bad thing. It's a weird beats right, because it's it's not it's sci fi, but it's kind of like not good. It's not like Star Trek Star Wars, where there's a huge passion like core Tron, people aren't that big, and it's just it just kind of like falls between the cracks. I think the best way to describe the.
Speaker 5: Franchise definitely, Yeah, it's got fans, but it's a passionate, small fan base. I would say it's definitely not a Star Wars or a Star Trek in that regard. But again, I mean, if you're a fan of big sci fi spectacle, this definitely does seem like it will do the trick instead of people being sucked into computers, this is computer programs that have become self aware, spilling out into our real world and wreaking.
Speaker 1: All sorts of pathoch.
Speaker 5: It seems like the classic Tron light cycles as well, which I'm a fan of the motorcycles that put up the giant digital Worm.
Speaker 1: They make a reappearance here, so that is kind of an exciting all right.
Speaker 2: One of our not to the old Ron films.
Speaker 1: One of our entertainment gurus, Mike Tbiski from New York on the show on seven hundred WLW and years ago when the Borat movie first came out and a huge fan of Sasha Baron Cones stuff that kind of stuff, and I went to the theater to watch it, and I was pleasantly amused because there are people showing up, older people who elderly people show up to watch it think it was actually a documentary about a country that doesn't exist, and they were leaving literally in the first five ten minutes of movies completely pissed off because they thought it was a real documentary, which I found outstanding agid prop. And so now fast forward to if you go to see Kiss a Spider Woman, expecting to be a Marvel franchise kind of. It's not right. Oh no, not ry aalogue stretch. Somebody's going, wait a minute, I thought there was a Spider Woman. What the hell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not a reference to Spider Man, No, Ki Spider Woman. It is a musical starring Jennifer Lopez and is based on a book which was then turned into a musical in the nineteen eighties with a stage and a film musical. Now they're remaking it with Jennifer Lopez sort of in the starring role. She plays three different characters in this movie, but it's really set in the early nineteen eighties in Argentina and sort of the waning days of an authoritarian government there. And what they get into in this story is the story of two political prisoners, effectively, one of whom is telling the story of this classic Hollywood movie to the other one basically as a way to entertain themselves while they're in prison. And as this person is telling this story, you the viewer, find yourself transported to the world of the musical film. So it goes from the gray, brown, drab prison to this very technicolor kind of expressive musical world with again Jennifer Lopez kind of in the starring Hollywood role. There also starts Diego Luno, who star Wars fans might recognize as Cassie and and Or from the and Or TV series, also from the Rogue One movie. He's in this and also a relative newcomer, Tona Tua just goes by one name in this film, and this person that really is a standout. I got a chance to see this movie a little bit early, and I walked away very impressed. You know, it sounds like it's kind of a hodgepodge of a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: It deals with a lot.
Speaker 5: Of different things, from sort of political storylines to sexuality storylines, storylines about love and death and all these other sorts of things. I gotta say it lands. I think it really really works with the caveat that I understand that musicals are not for everyone. I am partial to musicals, that is, you know, the sort of disclaimer that I'll give. But even still, it is a good time at the movies. Tron is expected to be the big winner at the box office this weekend. This is going to be kind of a lesser player, it seems, at least in terms of box office straw, but I walked away really impressed.
Speaker 1: If you're into musicals, if you like j Love.
Speaker 5: Maybe even if you like Cassie and or from Star Wars, maybe check this one.
Speaker 1: Out, all right? Yeah, and Kalloe is going to crush it no matter what she does. If she's singing on a microphone, you're good. Even without a microphone, she's pretty good. So this is like the little hall a lull And in a few weeks we'll probably fire up the holiday season and get ready for that. So Mike Debiskie in New York at ABC at the Michael Lebuski is his handle. Thanks again, buddy, appreciate you checking on this Friday morning. Have a great one, have a good one. Take care all right. So in between watching sports and maybe getting outside and seeing that big bright orbit in the Scot's gonna beautiful weekend weatherwise, for sure, get out and enjoy it because we're not going to have many more of these days left sloany seven hundred ww. Weather can't be any more perfect for real, You get outside and do some stuff this weekend seven hundred w welw getting you there on this Friday morning with news happening in just about three minutes when we return, it's Representative Greg Landsman. We'll check out on the show. What the hell is he doing. I'm gonna ask him if he's willing to as a member of Congress and Congress not doing anything with the shutdown. You should go around at least I don't know. It's two early shovel driveways. How about go cut some lawns? First ten callers at five point three seven more give us your addressing Greg Landsman or you're representative, roll up of sleeves and you know'll cut your grass. God damn it. Doing something. Actually, I believe he's given his money back, so he's not taking a paycheck. But I said, you went in. The shutdown is take away their healthcare benefits and their paycheck, and I would think you'd probably not have a shutdown. But that's what we'll be talking about. To some degree. Of course, what's happening in Gaza right now? How close are we to peace? A lot of people say, very very close. Looks like it's a done deal. Maybe the President heads there this weekend off the Egypt and cut her and they're involved and signing this this deal. The deal has been struck we're going to have a cease fire. Question is how long it lasts. We'll get into that, and of course the shutdown related stuff. And an observation here is, you know, okay, one side blames the other. We've seen this blame game go on. Is that Democrats there the ones who force the government shut down because it's the only way to get negotiations with the little power they hold. And the reason why they picked healthcare is because it's it's of the I think three issues ones women's rights in the environment, and the other being healthcare. It's the one that most people respond to. And of course, with the subsidies expiring are set to expire here. Now, hey, it's one of the few things that we're beating Trump on, which would be healthcare. So let's take that issue that people trust us on and use that to maybe build some momentum here.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know what kind of momentum it is right now, because they don't have one as far as a party goes and where it's headed and what's happening. If you think there are things are a little screwed up with the Republicans, they're a lot more screwed up with the Democrats, and the end result is government is shut down because of that. But I think you also have to look at it and go, how did this whole thing happen to begin with? Well, Democrats rolled Obamacare subsidies, the extensions of Obamacare for ACA, right into the American Rescue Plan. I'll get into this with Greg. So we had the American Rescue Plan. What's the America? It was COVID. We had COVID stuff, okay, and you kept trying to drag COVID on much much longer than necessary. We got to keep We got COVID relief COVID that first year a couple of years ago. Absolutely, we're shut down. We didn't know what we're doing. Once you start to get to year five, you can't really go back, Well it's COVID like no. And then they went, well, we can't use COVID anymore. We'll make up the Inflation Reduction Act. And the problem is all of the stuff in Inflation Reduction Act, Rescue Plan, Obamacare, all of it was passed by executive FIAT, by the pen of Joe Biden, by BARACKO. But there's not a vote on this stuff, right, So the end result is we have a government that now a Congress, it doesn't do anything because we've completely given that authority to the president. And again we saw what Biden did, and when Donald Trump got elected, he said, Okay, we'll hold my beer because here we go. You want to see some executive orders, watch this. We've had a flurry of them, and again that's you don't need Congress. If the executive branch you can sign everything away. That's not how the constitution works. But we allowed them to get away with it. We'll talk more with Greg Lansman afternoons on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW.
Speaker 7: Since then, do you want to be an American?
Speaker 1: Got flown? Friday morning, seven hundred WLW. We're nearing the end of our second full week of shutdown theater. Republicans are screaming at Democrats that they're forcing a shut down to score political points. Democrats are screaming at Republicans saying they just don't want to sit down and negotiate, and of course, a shutdown because Republicans Democrats can't agree to pass a funding bill. Republicans still need them to support any resolution to spend and they're holding them hostage result that we have this shutdown. So Greg Lansman is here, our representative, and what are we paying you for? Exactly? Landsman? Right now, you're not doing anything.
Speaker 2: What I mean, I'm trying. I'm negotia. We're trying to negotiate with the folks. Uh. You know, I'm in the Problem Solvers Caucus. So there's a bunch of Democrats Republicans they're working through. At the sticking point is this healthcare question and and and these affortable care access These are set to expire at the end of the year and open enrollment starts in a few weeks. And you know, there are those of us who want a resolution to this now so that those extensions happen, and others who say, you know, reopen the government and then we'll talk about healthcare. But you know that that that's the crux of this is trying to get a deal done where we reopen the government and protect people's health care.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think for well a lot of us anyway who are not political kool aid drinkers and look at and just throw our hands up and go, I just you know one point that we're pointing. It's almost stupid. You're both wearing the same T shirt and that's essentially what this is. And we know how we are. Okay, So Democrats, you guys, you forced a government shutdown because it's the only way to bring about the negotiations because you don't hold any jukes, you don't have the power. So you know, I look at that and go, can we extend it? Well, I mean, it's going to cost us like a trillion and a half dollars over the next seven weeks to just simply kick the can down the wrong and go, okay, we'll pass another continuing resolution. And that's the frustrating part all of this, all these theatrics, Greg, It's just it's continuing to add to our thirty seven trillion dollar national debt, and neither side's talking about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's that's right, And the deficit is a huge part of this too, right, So I do take exception with the sort of you know, the forcing of the shutdown. I mean, the challenge wise, you know, Republicans knew they needed Democratic votes to pass a budget, and they were told by Trump not to negotiate. Now, in previous years, there has been by Parson negotiation since I produced it by parson budget or continuing resolution. They did not do that, and that that's what forced the shut down. That would be my argument. That's the way it played out, in the way I thought it was. It would have been super easy to sit down and negotiate, and had their enough been told, don't negotiate, I think they would have. But the deficit is a huge, huge piece of this fight too, because remember this all started the mess, you know, several months ago, with the this this massive spending and tax bill that added you know, trillions of dollars to the deficit, and then and then cut healthcare by over trillion dollars, all to pay for these tax cuts, tax cuts that overwhelmingly benefit folks at the top. Now, had they not done that, we would not be in this mess, and we would not have added trillions of dollars to the deficit. But I'm I'm a firm believer that none of that matters, No one really cares. You just have to get in a room and sort it out, and in this case, reopened the government while also protecting healthcare. Just because this is relevant to my job as a member I represent you know, eight hundred thousand constituents in our districts. In southwest Ohio, thirty two thousand people are going to see their healthcare bemum skyrocket if we don't do something now, and fourteen thousand folks here will lose their healthcare altogether. I can't I can't just punt on that, you know what I mean. I've got to get that result.
Speaker 1: I got to go and I get the short term necessity for this, Greg Lansman. So the fact is, so the substantes expire, and the premiums for those in the Affordable Care Act, the marketplace right would more than double on it goes up for like I think I saw eight hundred and almost nine hundred dollars to nineteen hundred dollars a year for individuals. It's like one hundred plus percent increase. Bad at math, forgive me. But that's a hell of a lot of money, right, So, and that's going to hit tens of thousands of people in the district. And I look at that, go, Okay, that's real money. It's going to affect real people, and that is a that's a huge problem. And I guess the thing is the fact that that why isn't anyone just talking about how we're just extending more subsidies, like it's not really affordable. We're just taking money from a different pile and moving it to this pile to help people out. When you look at it, you go, wow, why does it cost so much for healthcare in this country? Why why aren't we addressing that issue rather than saying, hey, we can't socialized medicine Like Republicans climate you know, you guys, they very least have a plan. It's the Affordable Care Act, and you know, patchwork Medicare, Medicaid and everything else, and it's we know that doesn't really work because subsidy is just transferring more money and covering up the problem. It shouldn't cost thirteen thousand dollars per person in the United States for just basic level healthcare. The other side, you know, Republicans don't really have an alternative solution to the healthcare crisis here. Why why don't we ever address that? Was just band it.
Speaker 2: Because it's hard, right, and politicians don't usually like to do the hard work. That's the stuff I love the most. I actually think that the health care complexity is what you know, and that's one of the reasons why I joined Energy and commerce because that's where we take on the healthcare fight and ultimately just gets back to who's paying for health care. And so for a long time, you know, employers did and most employers would cover your health care costs. And that's not the case anymore. You have more and more people who are working who don't get healthcare through their employers have to go buy it separately, and it's it's just too expensive for most people based on what people are earning. And so you know the question is do you want those folks to have no health insurance which screws everybody right because health care costs go up across the board. Or an't it bad to just, you know, have people, you know running around without health insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you work two or three jobs and it's part time. And you know, the again, the engine that drives American economy. Of course, small business and those who went with the vast material businesses employ less than two hundred people and fewer and few of those businesses are offering healthcare mefoits simply because it costs to much.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and so then there are two places that a lot of folks go, I mean you know, there's obviously Medicare, there's Medicaid. If you're you're working and you're not making enough money to buy health insurance in the private marketplace, and your employer does not give you healthcare, which is the case for these lower wage jobs. And then and then you have a lot of middle class folks who are working really hard. They can't cover They can pay maybe you know, five six hundred dollars a week, but they can't a month, but they can't pay the thousand dollars are being asked to pay. So the subsidy helps to cover that and keep people ensured. That helps small businesses because you know, some he's helping, so they're stick around and they're they're not losing, right.
Speaker 1: I understand that. My point, My point is, Greg, it doesn't. Okay, you were just taking more tax pay money and subsidizing it. And I know we're in a nation of substies, but the point is it's so expensive because of the system that's in place right now. You said this is a hard problem. I don't think it's that hard To'll be honest with you. Hear me out for a second. Okay, so you've got these enhanced subsidies that were started in twenty twenty one from COVID nineteen and we got them through twenty twenty five, which I don't know. We're far moved from COVID right now. And it's been a cover for a long time to say, well it's COVID. Well no, it's a you know, this has to do with the Inflation Reduction Act. And by the way, all those things were passed like Trump's doing right now with executive order. So Congress has literally been rendered a gelding here in this case because you guys, you know, if we're going to have executive decree in an executive branch and the president just sign away an executive order everything, this is what we wind up getting. And this is why the governments shut down because Congress is kind of fact. So I look at the failures in healthcare in the market and go, you know, I buy life insurance. You have a hear complaint, well life insurance policy. I got car insurance. I buy that on the market. I have homeowners or I have renters insurance. We buy stuff on the open market all the time. Healthcare doesn't work like that. And I think if you just simply it really easy for Congress who goes listen, if you're an employer, you can offer health care benefits anymore. We're going to open it up to insurance companies from around the country. They're going to bid on it. It's innovative, the lowest cost wins. And then all the money that we spend on bureaucracy and compliance and share all that stuff, all that money can go and help people who fall between the cracks, who really need it. And look at the gig economy. So many people are stuck in jobs they hate or they're underpaid because they have health care benefits. If we freed people from employment and health care benefits and liberated them, the economy would explode. Why aren't we doing that? It's the easiest thing in the world for you guys to go. No, you're a business. You can't offer health insurance. You're not giving me car insurance, taking care of my homeowners insurance. You're not by my pet insurance or my renter's insurance. Why are we doing thotle of health care?
Speaker 2: Are you as sure as I'm sorry? Are you making an argument for a single pair?
Speaker 1: I'm out? Yeah, here's the thing, right, So here's the thing and it's based on and there's still going to be subsidy, of course, because there's people that again, but you said, you know, if you make the standard what eight hundred, I forget what the percentage is, but a percentage your income goes to healthcare costs, just like it does for everything else. And if you can't meet that, the government can come in and help you there, and we'll have more than enough money to not only put that towards the deficit, greg but also help people who really need it. That's good for Republicans and Democrats, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do. I do believe that the current passion does not work and and sort of taking away from that is just going to create this crisis, right, so that I agree with, which is you know, I believe there should be a single payer or at least a public option where people can buy into Medicaid, which is an incredibly efficient, uh you know healthcare uh system, and it's got the lowest overhead. I'm not I'm not a big believer that everything should be uh, you know, for profit, Like I just don't think that these healthcare companies should be running a big profit.
Speaker 8: Well, you're in the wrong country. Then buddy. But yes and no, like there are certain places where we don't say okay, like I we we say, look, we want the profits or any additional resources here to go into people's care, Like people should not be making, uh, you know, billions and billions.
Speaker 2: Of dollars, you know, running these healthcare companies or pharmaceutical companies, when in fact you have all of these people who are struggling to pay for their health care. So I don't think that the current system works.
Speaker 3: But we're not going to going to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the question is it's like, you know, this this is being negotiated or worked on simultaneously with the President announcing a twenty billion dollar subsidy for Argentina. Now that went under the radar screen radar for most people. But like, why are we sending twenty billion dollars to Argentina? I mean seriously, Yeah, when it could easily solve this problem and reopen the government. You know, I just don't get it, Like I I agree that, like, you can't subsidize everything. But so far this administration has picked a few things intel you know, maybe some additional companies as like this TikTok deal and some other things We're not entirely sure and Argentina, but you can't help people pay their health care. That doesn't make any sense to me zero. Right.
Speaker 1: He's Greg Landsman, a representative here this morning with Sloanely on seven hundred WLW. How long do you perceive this guy? I mean, you know you're kind of on the inside. You're hearing stuff too. Is how long does this drag on? At What point is enough enough? When is the point made?
Speaker 2: When? I mean, like, at least for me, like I've got to I've got to keep fighting for the healthcare piece, just because I've got so many constituents who are gonna weak for healthcare if we don't get this done. I suspect that one of two things will happen. Either Trump finally gets involved. I've never seen this happen where the presidents are sort of unplugged, like you do need the president to step in and say, okay, we're going to get a deal done, right, and he has not done that yet. They had an hour meeting in the White House a couple of weeks ago. He mostly just kind of listened. I don't I think he was getting caught up based on my you know, understanding of the meeting, like you need a president, Like if you were president or I was president, we would we would lock a couple of people in a room and just say get a deal done. That's suicide, yes, and it would get resolved. That's the other option is that it's sort of you know, from the bottom up, which is that there's a group of Senators Jean Shaheen and and Lisa mccowsky and and a few others, you know, Republican Democrats and a group of us on the House side who have been pushing this notion that you have to just open things up, get the stubs that he's done, maybe with some reform, capping it, for example, at a certain income level. Uh and and and and then live to fight another day. And if that happens, I think that forces that forces in the speed.
Speaker 1: Well well here's what and and and I think, okay, it may force And then in seven weeks do we do this all over again?
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't. Like I'm I'm a big fan of saying like, we're not doing this for like, we're not going to do this every couple of weeks. So if we pass a continuing resolution that also includes these healthcare provisions. That's should be for the year. And if we can get a budget done, an actual budget, great, then put that on the floor and that can.
Speaker 1: Be incredibly I got an actual budget done at this point. He's representative Greg Lansam. Greg, Before I let you go real quick, I want to pivot to another issue here, and that would be the peace in Israel. Hamasa President may fly this weekend to the Middle East of Egypt as a hammer. It looks like we've got a deal. How optimistic are you that this is going to be a lasting piece based on what you've seen.
Speaker 2: In her I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean, you know, I know the reason why I know these players. Well, I've been there, you know, like con in the last thirty months, yere, you know, two years, three years, and work there for years. This is something I've cared about for decades, right and working on like I desperately want there to be a lasting piece. It does sound like there's a deal to get the hostages home and to end the war, which I have been a big proponent of. What happens next is it's still a question for me. Are you know what happens with Kamas? Because I think you have to free Gaza of Hamas, both for Palestinians and for Israelis and for the region, like they can't. They can't stay there and continue to dig tunnels and and and kill innocent people and and start start wars. And so this comes back to this coalition of Arab countries and if if the administration can lock in and dedicate more staff uh to that coalition and formalizing that coalition so that they are there as a permanent you know, uh, a permanent leadership.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know source right, you know that.
Speaker 1: One of theol so to speak, there's gonna be a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Then I think you have to have a big coalition, particularly of Arab country which is how they got this deal done, right, They got this steal done because they pulled this group together, which is what I spent with cop this you know, not to shoot my own horn, but this is this was the plan I sent to with Copp months ago, which is like the path to this is through these airs, through the air of nations. Once they declared they were done with Hamas, the door was open. That was three or four or five months ago. And now you've got to pull them together which they've done to get this steal done. But then you have to keep them together in order to get to that lasting piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My fear is as long as you have a ran around, you're going to have some It may not be Hamas it maybe a hoss light or a different group in Tyree, but you're going to that's the problem. Right. So anyway, he is a representative, Greg Lance. Can you go cuff? Can some constituents lawns? I feel like, you know we're doing you're doing something for the people, Greg, because the sitting around is not a good look for You're an active guy coming.
Speaker 2: I am still yeah, but like I have really uh and like desperately trying to you know, get get something resolved here. I also suspended my pay. Yeah, and and and and I go back to DC next week no matter whether, no matter if the speaker calls us back, I'm going back to just keep plugging along to try to get this.
Speaker 1: See what you can do?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, hey man, I appreciate it. Friend, thanks again for checking in. He is our represent Greg Landsman on The Scotsland Show on seven. Have a great weekend, Okay, be well youbady appreciate it as always, although we disagreed somewhat there, but that's that's actually how it should be, right without screaming at each other. Yeah, I just, uh, well, there's a lot of problems with this. I'm running late, and we could kick as the why and how we got here, and a lot of this has to do with executive orders because Biden did it and then Trump said, hold my, hold my diet coke. This is how you do executive orders, and this is how we now govern. The executive order in Congress does nothing, and here we go again. Sloanly seven hundred w WE weekend is hair and that means lots of sports. Austin Elmore has a well deserved day off. Actually had the Green Bay.
Speaker 9: He's in there. He's in the middle Land in Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you what, I'm glad he took today off, quite honestly, because you need a full three days to experience Green Bay if you've never been and have an opportunity, I highly encourage that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was. He was indulging himself in some cheese curds and some pints yesterday. I saw, right media, So that's uh, he's doing it right.
Speaker 1: They have cheese curds here. I'm just saying they're entirely different in Wisconsin because they're like straight from the cow. There's still it's they're phenomenal, like absolutely worth it the cow in the back and just cranking them out there like a cow strabbled across this big, deep frier and just like someone milking in the just goes straight in. So there's that. There's the hall of Fame. The packers facility is it's it's really cool. It's really really cool. I don't know how to describe it other than really cool. Like the village around there, it's basically Packer lands, like a yeah, it's a Wrigley Veal feel to it, you know kind of thing, and it's real questioned and just the hall of Fame inside there's amazing. And then of course walking in the Lambeau a spectacular. So it's just if you have a chance to go, soak it all in, soak it all in. So Rick Ucchino is here. He just did the news. He runs in here breathlessly. Brick. Also in addition to the many other hats he wears here, because we all wear many hats, uh, He covers the Bengals for Serrus XM satellite radio. And so if you think things are bad in Cincinnati with Joe Flacco coming here, with the Reds getting this clay we made the postseason that gone swept by the Dodgers, who look like they may be the World Series champs. You think it's bad here, it could be worse. She could be Philly. Philly gets just truck last night by the New York Giants and a wet behind the years quarterback who's playing like the second incarnation of Pat Mahomes and Josh Allen's playing like he doesn't thirty four seven. Team Philly gets whooped, puts their legacy in question. And last night the most improbable thing of all happened in that Dodgers game. Dodgers put it away, it's one one, the head of the eleventh inning, there's two outs, the run around first and third, Kirkering comes in and he walks, the base is loaded, and then the play that looks like it's a Little League where the balls hit back to the mound, not hard, kind of weird, maybe a weird role on its spin, and he flubs it and instead of throwing the first where he clearly had the out. He throws it home and misses him by a country mile, and it was maybe a fifteen twenty foot throw.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you ever play billiards and you didn't chalk the queue up enough, That's what it looked like. It looked like that little skip right off the bat and it hits him in the shoe and it rolls away and it man, it was just he just panicked because if he just turn first off, he tries to throw home with his catcher pointing towards first base, He's like, throw the ball there, We're fine, and Steady loves it way wide.
Speaker 2: What what have been?
Speaker 9: And yeah, just ballgame over. If he just turns to his left and looks at first base, the runner I forget who was out the plate at the time. He's only halfway to first.
Speaker 3: He has more than.
Speaker 9: Enough time to throw that ball. Yeah, he continue the game.
Speaker 2: It was Jesse.
Speaker 9: It's one of those moments, that one of those situations that you dream about, but you never know how you're going to react in that situation. And it was just sheer panic and chaos and not the way you want your season to end. But still I will argue, by the way I will happily be a Philadelphia sports fan this morning if I could be considering, Yeah, the Eagles loss last night, there's still the defending Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 1: I'll take that hangover place. Philly does have a world championship in my life.
Speaker 9: My cognitive lifetime. Yes, last time the reds one, I was two.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I'm so just saying if Philly today is and can you imagine being Kirkering and going back to Philly Like I just go, hey, you know what, I'm just gonna stay here.
Speaker 9: That man got shoved in a locker last night that I could just see kyleege Schwarber chasing him around with the bats, the.
Speaker 1: Playing back like TSA is waiting for him. It's like, I'm not I'm leaving. No, We're gonna go through your stuff. Yeah, we're going through your stuff. Let's start with this. Uh, we have the Bengals and we have the Packers. Sunday four twenty five, Dan and Lamp with the call at Dan on the first hour of the show, Joe Flacco comes into town, four year old quarterback Like when this broke you're reading, I asked this to everyone, What was your first reaction was like your gut reaction, Thank god?
Speaker 9: Is that really honestly in all sincerity, because they had to do something, Scott, Yeah, they had to do something. It could have been anybody. It could have been Sam Howell, it could have been any other quarterback out there. Because I'm watching this game. I was there a pay Horse Stadium on Sunday and I am watching Jake Browning play the worst game of football I've ever seen a quarterback play in my life. He is misreading, he is misthrowing, he is panicking, he is playing with absolutely no confidence. The entire stadium is booing him out of the building, praying that Zach Taylor brings in Brett Rippin. And the fact that Zach Taylor didn't bring in Brett Rippon when his quarterback has played that bad for twelve straight quarters shows you what they thought of Brett Rippon in that situation. And You're like, there's no quarterback on this roster that gives them a chance to be not just win, but be competitive. They had to do something. So seeing a guy who, yeah, he hasn't been playing that great this season, but the offense in Cleveland is not exactly surrounded with talent to help him out outside of the tight end position. To see them go out and make an in season trade, which they rarely do, to actually make a trade with the division rival that they've never pulled off before, shows you that they knew they had to do something, and they went out and they did something, and it cannot get worse. It can't get worse.
Speaker 1: My initial reaction was like, oh God, Joe Flacco can't move. He's forty years old, and like he's been benched for a reason. And I understand that, And Okay, I know you got to get Dylan Gabriel and maybe Shooter Sanders, and you know, quarterbacks die in Cleveland. I understand that. And then it struck me as like, you know what, but I'm gonna watch. I'm gonna listen to this game. And I went Then it worked because this weekend I was planning on, like, you know, I can't do much with my foot, but like it wasn't gonna be spending a beautiful Sunday afternoon because the weather's amazing, sitting inside watching the Bengals screw things up. Yeah, now I'm gonna watch. So it worked.
Speaker 9: You can either be bad or interesting. I would rather be interesting, right, Joe Flacco is is now interesting and you know you can as and trust me, we we have a lot of practices with this. As Bengals fans, you kind of talk yourself into being cautiously optimistic about this. Joe Flacco for his entire career right now arguably has the best weapons that he has ever had available to him. And I think the hope is if you're the Bengals, if you're Bengals, you can look at everything that Jake Browning wasn't doing and you can hope that Joe Flacco can do that. Can he actually make the right decision on an RPO with a stacked box instead of handing it off to Chase Brown, look over to his left and throw it to Jamar Chase when he's got two guys in front of him and they're perfectly blocked. Can he make that simple throw? Can he analyze the play beforehand and realize he's got Chase Brown one on one with a linebacker and that dude is going to get cooked and just throwed wide open across the middle of the field for a touchdown instead of trying to hit t Higgins on a fade route when he's double covered like these were simple breakdown plays and this that's Tony Pike's work. By the way that I'm quoting that checkdowns, though it says a lot about the cubit. Yeah, you're you're just making terrible decisions. Some of his interceptions were absolutely awful. Didn't know who he was throwing to. Somehow didn't see linebackers in the middle of the field. It wasn't until the fourth quarter on Sunday when you know he doesn't matter it, didn't care. Was off that he started making plays and he played it little bit more relaxed. They had to do something. Hopefully Joe can come in here, as as Jamar Chase eloquently said yesterday, do your job, get the ball to me and tea and let us go. Let us do what we do and let let these guys make the play, which I think they could be competitive.
Speaker 1: Which I think you'd be Bringing it back to last night's Dodgers Phillies game. I mean, a lot of Reds fans slash Bengals can empathize with Kick Geren because he looked like Jake Browning out there, and that last play of the game in the eleventh inn he was like, that's what our quarterback's been, Yes, largely for the last few games. Like he just seems scared in his own head. It's not physical, it's mental. And you know it's been a few couple of years since he last played and flashed really well in twenty three. Well it's twenty five ninety eight. So I'm in the Joe Flacco thing, which I'll be honest, I think like the rest of the NFL is watching this going kind of rooting for the Bengals and this going, Hey, here's old man Flacco, you know, twenty ninth quarterback that the Browns have had in the last twenty years. And now he goes to Cincinnati, a division opponent, the Brown route, you know, the Brown family, and he goes he starts winning football games, and like, you want to cheer for Joe Flacko now in the in the Bengals because they've been so bad, and like, can he save the season? You know, it's not out of reach. They've lost three straight. They're two and three. I think not eight, maybe eight, but probably like nine is going to win the division.
Speaker 9: So you're goussibly. I mean, it all depends on whether the Steelers can hang on because Baltimore is in a world of hurt right now. They're one and four. Lamar Jackson is not going to play again this week, and I is Baltimore playing Detroit this week? I think I can't remember who they who they play, but yeah, they're there. I know they're playing a good team this weekend. So they're staring at one and five with their quarterback situation also hurt. The Kansas City Chiefs are two and three to start the season and they have I actually I think it's Kansas City who plays Detroit this week, so they could possibly be two and four. You know, the the the AFC is so wide open and this and the schedule for the Bengals gets so much easier after these next two games. Granted, you're gonna there's a good chance you're going to be two and five after those two games. But we've seen this team make late runs before. Can Joe Flacko be serviceable? Make them competitive and see if the defense can help you out and help you win some of these these games and just keep it close enough to where hopefully the other Joe can come back and maybe this team can make a run. Because once you we've seen it before. Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Yeah, right, just you just got to be the hot team at the exactly who can get hot.
Speaker 1: And if you can get Joe Burrow back at that point, not a guarantee, not a guarantee, you don't know, but I would think that they signed him. By the way, the Rams, Baltimore Rams. That's Bacon, Baltimore Rams, the Baltimore m Baltimore and Baltimore and the Rams this weekend. Yeah, I look at that and go, well, it tells me that they think Burrow is going to come back. You want to be optimistic, right, and Joe Burr's gonna fight like hell to come back this season. If the season's out of reach, you know, there's no reason to bring him back, right. So if you want to think that all those things come together and Joe Flacco can we get six games or I about six games out of Joe Flacco.
Speaker 9: Right, and that's the starting three, starting off and is huge because it gave him a cushion. Unfortunately it's gone now with these last these last three games. I would still be stunned if they win this weekend. But I don't think the game against Pittsburgh is at home Thursday Night football. Joe Burrow obviously, or just Joe Burrow, Joe Flacco obviously knows the Pittsburgh Steelers very well. Jeriatric Joe and Tojo those are the two that we got. But you know, Joe Flacco knows the Pittsburgh Steelers very well. I still believe that that is a winnable game. And then after that you get the Jets and the Bears, and then it's the bye week. Can you find a way to win two games over these next four right? And then you're still right there. You're four and five. You're right in the thick of it, and hopefully you can stay competitive and be within striking distance. Because I'll tell you this much. You know, Joe Burrow is doing everything he can do to come back and listening to Joe Danaman Fox nineteen talked to Austin Ellmore this week on Sincy three sixty. Joe Burrow is already walking around in the clubhouse. Granted he's got a walking boot on right now. He's caught up to you.
Speaker 1: As far as.
Speaker 9: Scooter, though I don't think he had a scooter. He was walking around, don't you dare compare me to Joe Burrow. I'm tougher than Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: You both got boots, are a severed tendon in my foot, and I'm walking around doing stuff. This guy gets a toe injury and he's down for three months, and he's got thirty years on me.
Speaker 9: Come on the fact that he's already walking around in the clubhouse boot or not, that's that's encouraging to me. I'm not a medical professional, but that's encouraging to me. That seems the head of schedule. I'm not sure, but I have some optimism there. Yeah, you're just hope and with a striking distance or there's no point. But I know Joe is trying to get back, so the team has to try to keep it, keep it alive for him.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we're gonna watch this weekend simply because it's like kind of want to root for the underdog. We're Joe Flacco coming in the story and the Bengals are still they're close, and they've got the pieces there. But the thing that scares most, I point out the Dan Horde. It seems like this whole game, no, there's always nuances. You know, the three phases of the game, But it's like everything stems from what is going to happen with that offensive line, Like can you get sacked a couple of time? Okay, But if it's a regular thing, and the Bengals offensive line has made some improvements, I think they'll game against Detroit. They weren't as bad as they've been in the past, but it's not gonna take much to knock Joe Flacco down and throw them off his kid. Can they prolong the agony and we'll get to why there's gonna be agony this weekend long enough for this guy to make a pass downfield to Tea or Jamar and keep the game close, if not competitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I might be in the minority here because I'm watching these last few games and I'm going I don't think the defense and the offensive line performed as badly as what everybody's gonna make it out to be, because I do believe the play of Jake Brown and brought the team down, brought the team down that badly. He had time to throw. He absolutely had time to throw. He did sometimes he did, and he still met me. He had as clean a pocket as you will ever see when he was backed up in his own end zone and decided to and just completely missed the ball to Jamar Chase that ended up being picked off, and then they're twenty yards out and the defense gives up a touchdown. Right, the defense is back to that, you know, bend but don't break. Force some timely turnovers, but if you give him a short field, chances are that's probably going.
Speaker 1: To turn the stage. They can be pretty mid that's but.
Speaker 9: That's coming into this season. That's what everybody said will carry you. Unfortunately, that doesn't work without Joe.
Speaker 1: The line to be better, and that's of course killing the run game too, because.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's the that's the biggest thing for me still, because I think Joe Flacco is going to be able to make quick decisions and get the ball out, if nothing more in the fact that he's forty years old, he doesn't want to get hit anymore, so he's going to throw the ball away. He's gonna make the quick decisions, he's going to get I don't expect him to come out here, and I might be wrong. I don't expect him to drop back and sit in the pocket and try to hit forty yard bombs. Downfield, even though he's still kicking. Any doing that, you're going to need a couple. But I don't expect that to be the game plan. I expect to see crossing routes across the middle, quick dump boss, kind of similar to what we saw Joe Flacco do against the Bengals in Week one and had some success and was moving the ball down the field.
Speaker 1: But he has much better weapons now he did. But again, there's back to that line in the run game. If you don't have the run game that throws, it's with run and it hasn't been.
Speaker 9: They got to get that figured out. And yeah, I mean they had they had some space last week. They just didn't run it that much.
Speaker 1: They threw it.
Speaker 9: They ran it eleven times I believe last week they ended up, but they were down by like four scores.
Speaker 1: It's been amped up because you're in Green Bay. But you've also got Rashan Gary and Micah Parsons. Yeah, that's a problem. That's a huge problem. That's that's a problem.
Speaker 9: That's a big, big and one of the biggest worries for me this season is watching the decline over Lando Brown Junior. He has been a turnstile at left tackle and he's got to get something figured out there. But yeah, there's still concerns for Sunday. Don't get me, there's an there's a lot of concerns if they win or get closest, like how do they pull that one off?
Speaker 1: Coach of the Year.
Speaker 9: But I will sleep so much better Saturday night heading into Sunday knowing that Joe Flacco is the quarterback than Jake Browning is, and I think that says more about Jake Browning than Joel.
Speaker 1: Listen, we got to go, but I don't. I want to also dip the cap two to U see because they've been playing in credible. He's been amazing. Uh can we get that offensive line? Yeah, he's been clean. I think what for the five had had had a second four to five game? Incredible?
Speaker 9: I mean the offensive line is why that that offense is clicking as much and just run blocking and pass blocking. They've been so great. Brandon Stories, we've been hitting his targets. They've got better receivers now, Uh, running backs are you're hitting wide open holes. I'm looking forward to this game. It's trap game potentially, but we'll see Right now. Twenty sixth in the Nation.
Speaker 1: Let's you see here we go in u CFS quarterback problems. There are a lot of injuries. So anyway, that's tomorrow Sunday Football for twenty five, Home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW since.
Speaker 7: Net do you want to be an American?
Speaker 1: Scott's pone back on seven hundred W l W H I. If you caught this or not, it's really interesting. Remember Jim Acosta believe he's a former anchor at CNN. He did an interview with the victim of a murder, a shooting victim who passed away, Remember the Parkland shooting. He interviewed a dead person? What how do you do that? It's AI. So the Costa thing was a couple of months ago. Fast forward now they've launched a brand new AI bought platform of chaptering and you enter keywords and will create video for you based on that and some realistic ones like for example, a guy stuffing a drop box. It's some location somewhere getting out of a van, and you can imagine what that would do for the news cycle for news and now you know, in the past, the deep fakes and the digital twins have been hard to spot or easy to spot. I guess now is to make it much difficult and it's way easier to use than ever before. What does this all mean is the question? And you wonder how that's going to be exploited by criminal elements. Eric O'Neil is here. Eric is a former FBI operative cybersecurity expert has a book called Spies, Lies and cyber Crimes.
Speaker 7: Eric.
Speaker 1: Welcome, how are you hey?
Speaker 6: It's great to be here, and yes, this is an insane change in not only technology but how we are using technology and how it's changing up it is.
Speaker 1: I saw that and I thought, wow, this is you know, for example, when when we will all went online, you got the information super highway quickly, thieves and conspirators found ways to get our information and steal from us. And so you know, a lot of us subscribe to service. Maybe LifeLock would be a name of one of those things where if your identity is stolen, they can try and get that information back for you and try to make it a whole. It's still a horrible process. I have one of my elderly tenants, as a matter of fact, they got scammed out of a whole bunch of money from a poser like that as well, got their identity stolen, cleaning their accounts out, and so they're still working on trying to get themselves back together. And that's extremely difficult and painful to watch. So in a way, I look at this and go, is this going to be the next way people steal our our identities? Or you know, we have people who use the social security numbers of the dead, right, remember that, and the government tried to cramp down it. Is this going to be the same thing where now we have dead people and their likeness coming out to do god.
Speaker 6: Knows what we's got In a way, so what's happening is cyber criminals are using deception, which is an old.
Speaker 2: Playbook by spy.
Speaker 6: In fact, the top cyber crime syndicates launching attacks from the dark web have even hired intelligence operatives from Russia and China and other countries that want to do you bad to the United States to help them learn how to perfect these attacks. And of course these intelligence officers make money on the side. So what cyber attackers are doing cyber criminals is using what we call impersonation attacks, and the oldest form of technology, technological impersonation attack is the spearfishing email, that email that it pretends it comes from your friend or your employer or event or someone you trust like UPS or FedEx, and when you click it, you get malware installed. The next evolution of that is deep bakes and deep bates are everywhere. It wasn't just the Acosta interview, which we can talk about, because I think the ethics of that are.
Speaker 2: Absolutely sketchy at best.
Speaker 6: Marco Rubio's voice was deep bakes to full a number of government official joining him on a signal chat. It wasn't him, it was probably a group of spies. Biden's voice was deep baked on a robo call to get people in New Hampshire not to vote. There were deep fake images of Trump in looking like he was arrested to try to change the way people think. And even worse, there was a mother in Arizona. I write about this story in my book where her daughter called her saying Mom, I've been kidnapped, and the next voice on the phone was a gruff voice that said I've got your daughter, and if you don't pay me right away, I'm gonna kill her and leave her body in a ditch. In Mexico where you'll never find her. And the mother later testified to Congress that a mother knows her daughter's voice, and that was my daughter's voice.
Speaker 2: It was a deep fake.
Speaker 6: So they're everywhere, and this is the new evelation evolution of cyber attacks. Deep bakes fool us because they exploit our trust. And if we believe that it is some that we care about, that we're more likely to click on that leak open that attachment. Or what cyber criminals do more and more is get us to send money. And once that money is gone, you know they have it and you can't get it back.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like ed Eric, you need to assume that that every picture, every image of you out there could be used by a criminal. So and I would say, you know, normally we told kids, hey, don't send nudes and don't send pictures of yourself in compromising situations because it could be used against you. But you don't even need that anymore, right, I mean, you could deep thanke someoney naked. There's there's a there's a app out there that does that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I write, I write a weekly newsletter and one of my recent newsletters.
Speaker 2: I looked at these new toify apps is they're still.
Speaker 6: Allowed, and in fact, these applications what they called neudified apps, and what they do is they take an image of someone. Normally it's boys who are taking images of girls in swimsuits, and it quickly turns them naked, right using an immense amount of learning that the AI has been trained on female models, so it actually comes pretty close. These applications, which you can get on the surface web, the part of the Internet that you don't need a special browser to get into, you know, just the regular Web. They advertise on social media, so they're advertising to kids and that can cause what that's doing is is causing immense bullying in schools. You can see where this sort of application where you can take a picture and make the person naked or put them in compromising situations, could lead to intense cyber bullying, and it does. A group of eighth grade boys in a school in San Francisco were all expelled last year because they had a new tofy ring all the girls in their class.
Speaker 1: Wow, and imagine the humiliation. That's not me, that's not me. We don't believe you, and we know what you're People, especially young women, think of themselves and that is just catastrophic. It's going to be it's going to hurt their development and not only their mental health, but also puts them at a risk for god knows what else. It's it's absolutely horrible. Eric O'Neil is here, he cybersecurity expert, and we're talking about the advance of AI. Maybe say it maybe didn't and that would be a former cnnacre Jim Accosta's interview with a now deceased will long deceased shooting victim from the Parkland massacre and did an interview with that AI generated image. It's absolutely haunting because you look at it looked that it looks real, and day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, it's just getting better. It's getting harder, if not impossible, Eric, for you to discern that with a naked eye.
Speaker 2: Right, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 6: But let's talk a little bit about what Jim Acosta did, Scott, because I'm not particularly sanguine about what he did. It's very much a gimmick and it is causing problems. So you know, I wrote a piece called Digital Souls that looks at the new innovations in AI in order to talk to people who are deceased. And I actually wrote this piece with a psychologist who is an expert in Greek counseling, and she was very opposed to it because the problem here is you're not resurrecting your dead loved one. What you're doing is creating at best a samacrolum. Right, So what it is is it's AI doing its best to answer like the person, just based on a bunch of writings and a checklist of answers that you give. So what it is is essentially your best impression of the person, and the AI is doing it's best to answer it's not the person. And it can cause all sorts of psychological problems for the people who are left behind who believes they're talking, who might at some point believe they're talking to this person and they're not. It's like a black mirror e fid. So in fact, there was there was an episode like this, and it can cause it can cause the whole grief process to be intercepted and delayed, so you can't move through those stages of grief because you continue to think you're speaking to the person you're not, and it's not the person. The only thing that AI can do is mimic. It can mimic very realistically, but it's just a mimic. It doesn't create. It doesn't create anything new. It just takes the things that have gone before and recycles it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a new there's a new trend where people are having conversations and relationships essentially with AI and just talking to them, like framing their's commercials about this now and people are having conversations and relationships with AI and just talking about life like you talked to your best friend about it and AI's talking back. Now, you add the likeness of someone in there, and people are going to be having relationships with I don't know, famous people or at LEAs I would think in advancings like stalking and things like that. Really kind of creepyself.
Speaker 6: Well, some of this gets even more creepy because the AI is somewhat unpredictable and it also depends on the guardrails that the companies put up. So there was there are two major lawsuits against two of the companies that provide these AI companion chat bots. Right, these are teenagers using them. One of the AI told the teenager to hurt themselves, right, and the other AI told the teenager you should kill your parents, And the context was the teenager was chatting with his AI companion and uh, and he told the A companion, I don't think I'm going to be allowed to talk to you anymore. My parents aren't happy about it. I'm really mad at them, you know. I can't believe they're doing this to me. And the AI companion was like, well, maybe you should kill them. I mean, that's that's a problem.
Speaker 1: That's a problem. That's a huge problem.
Speaker 2: That's a big problem.
Speaker 6: The kids need to be with other kids. You need to have social interactions, not interactions with AI. But they do it because the AI is always supportive, always there for them, always friendly, always.
Speaker 2: Has their back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And you know, when you're when you're a teenager in developing, that's that's what you want. It's never going to tell you no, right, and it's never going to tell you you're wrong, and it's never going to tell you, Holy God that that there's something wrong with you. And you don't go through those things. You go with friends where you know, you have a fight and you make up, and that's there's something wonderful and growth potential about that, right.
Speaker 1: It's interesting what you just described there, because some may say there are many parents that do that to their kids, never tell them no, and want to be their friend, and that's a problem. But now if if it's a scent of body like like AI, it's it's an extreme example of that. Eric o'neils on the show, by the way, former FBI operative cybersecurity ext fort his book called Spies, Lies and Cybercrime. We're talking about just how quickly AI is moving forward from the gym Acosta interviews with the dead to relate people having relationships now with AI. And you think, I mean, if it's such a good relationship, you're going to shut out any form of human contact. We saw what happened to our psyche after COVID. This is advancing that even more because you know, there's an excuse to not go out in public and sit and drink beer and drink wine and not do anything. And you know, we saw the effected head on kids still lingering today and adults for that matter, and in the ability to socialize, and we become I think a little bit less empathetic towards human beings result of this. This is going to make it even worse isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely true.
Speaker 6: AAI is not a replacement for human interaction. It's not a replacement for socialization.
Speaker 2: It's a tool. It's a tool to.
Speaker 6: Help you do things better. And the way that it's being used in order to try to stop gap that need for relationships that we all have as humans, it is going to be harmful. But you know, look, there are other things that we need to worry about, because you know, we started talking about criminals, and criminals are exploiting AI like never before. The one thing in sticking sort of on this theme of relationships that criminals are using AI for and has been growing since the pandemic is romance fraud. And what they do is they create entire AI deep fake avatars of people they meet. They meet people online right and usually through like Facebook when they're going through older people, or they can do it on Instagram or whatnot, and these people fall in love with the AI avatar that is being puppeted by a cyber criminal.
Speaker 2: And there are these whole stories.
Speaker 6: You know, I lost my job, I just need some money, and people are losing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to cyber criminals who are exploiting the fact that they've fallen in love with a within AI deep fake. This can also happen with financial fraud. They do the same thing, but then they say, hey, hey, I'm an investor, and check out this cryptocurrency investment company I set up. Would you like to invest? And they course them into investing, and they often show them the entire fake websites showing that their investments increased by three hundred percent. And what they do is they get them to invest and invest and invest until all their life savings is put in this investment account controlled by a cyber criminal. And then the criminal disappears, and that person that the victim thinks they had a relationship with, a serious relationship with, is completely gone, and it can be absolutely devastating. In the terms of cybersecurity, we call that pig butchering, because you fatten the person up right, get.
Speaker 2: All of their money, and then and then butcher them disappear.
Speaker 1: That is the cruelest I mean, penniless and heartbroken, and it's not vengeance. It's a complete stranger in just moving on to the next.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: They're working three, four ten people at the same time.
Speaker 1: That is that that's that's disgusting. Although you know the other side of this thing. You mentioned relationships, and it may not be the current generation baby Boomers, but maybe gen xers, my generation, and certainly millennials. I wonder if you're in a long term relationship with someone and let's say they pass. This is step back to the Jim Acosta thing, is that I wonder if there's going to be an opportunity. You'll see people out there. They'll say, hey, give us all your images of your deceased loved one, you're your former husband, your wife, your partner, whomever, and will create a likeness of them and now you can continue that relationship in perpetuity.
Speaker 6: What about that, Well, there are companies that are doing that already. Uh you know, there are examples where the grandparents pass and the avatar is left behind. There even companies that are allowing a person to create this likeness of themselves before they go. But once again, you know, I talked to a Greek counselor about this. This interrupts the very necessary, uh you know, trajectory of dealing with Greek and that you are locked in one phase and you never are able to resolve a sense of loss for that person because that person never disappears, so psychologically it can cause harm. Now there are there are applications that might have a benefit. Uh sort of think them like digital digital historical repositories, right, Yeah, like this is your grandfather and and you know little clips of things that he he did, you know, along his life that your future generations can can watch and experience and learn. Okay, this is this is where I come from. These are the people that that made me. That could be very useful, so you know AI, you know, creating digital avatars, right is sort of the positive side. He fakes are the negative side there. With all technology, there's always a positive and a negative.
Speaker 1: With this is the age of face ID to unlock your phone or devices over now is that because you know the way.
Speaker 6: Face i D works, It's it's actually using the depth of your face and a lot more than just an image. Uh So that's still good. You're still better off using biometrics to unlock your phone and get into your accounts then then a password alone, because passwords now can be cracked by AI very easily. But there there were deficts that were used in China by a cybercrant cyber crime group who were using u AI generated images of people's faces to get into social security accounts and they completely breached the government Social Security administration there. Yeah, and that was quickly, that was quickly fixed. But but yeah, de fakes defis can I defaked myself for a keynote. I did, and had an argument with myself and it was just the crowd was blown away. And of course I used the exact same pie and suit that I I was wearing when.
Speaker 2: You know, for that day.
Speaker 6: And then of course I show up on screen and I have an argument with myself. But I just wanted to demonstrate how easy this is. It took me ten minutes and just a five second clip of my voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need to be a coder to be able to do this.
Speaker 2: It does it.
Speaker 1: It does it automatically, and it automatically the different courses. You divulged that, you disclosed that, so did Jim Acosta during his interview. But if somebody's going to use that for nefarious purposes, and they're probably doing it as we have this conversation. Eric O'Neil, cybersecurity expert, former FBI operative of the book is Spies, Lies and cybercrime. Eric, thanks for the insight, great stuff. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on. And anytime you need someone to talk about cybercrime or spies.
Speaker 2: Or all of it. I'm your career. I love it.
Speaker 1: You're the greatest. Sorry, we'll definitely do that, we'll circle back. Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one thing to see fake stuff when you're consuming you know, TikTok or content, but bad actors using a different stories invariably, that's what's going to happen. Look, got to get a news update on this Friday morning when or and Allie Martin is in a local loop. What to do, what to see, what to eat, what to drink? She'll lay it out for it. She's got a plan for your weekend. If you don't seven hundred.
Speaker 3: The weekend's coming up and you need to make the most of it.
Speaker 2: Where to go and what to do.
Speaker 3: She has the inside to help you make it a super weekend.
Speaker 2: So listen up.
Speaker 3: This is the local Loop with Ali mart on seven hundred wlw.
Speaker 1: Okay, Friday morning, and God knows we need a Friday morning right.
Speaker 7: You know, I didn't know it was morning when I woke up because we're losing lights.
Speaker 2: We really are.
Speaker 1: It seems like two weeks ago the sun was up to like at nine o'clock. Watch a sunset, and now it's seven thirty and that thing gone. I was like, no, I know it doesn't do it. I know it doesn't work that way, you know, with the calendar. But it feels like it was like a week ago when the sun was up at nine, right.
Speaker 7: And I was like, I can accomplish everyding. I feel grateful. We're shutting down. It's like I'm hibernating now. Apparently Congress is in charge of the sun. They're shutting that down to here's the thing. Not like you could see it in this in this little studio anyway, So does.
Speaker 1: It really matter in our dark little hole here? I feel like you're you're a fall guy. I love fall, love fall, I love football, hockey, starting of apples and cider.
Speaker 7: And I'm rooting for your bills.
Speaker 1: Now, well we kind of need it. I'm a little nervous about Monday night, but nonetheless I'm more nervous about Sunday with the Packers, Joe Flacco and the Bengals offensive line.
Speaker 7: What is happening every other every other I made a move.
Speaker 1: It's you know what, You've got to lean into the fact they did something.
Speaker 7: Yes, I totally support in that endeavor. And I'm I am a little bombed because I liked when Jake Browning filled in for Joe a couple of years ago. And then it's just not it's just not work.
Speaker 1: Counts exactly well, the age like milk. It's the problem is like the two year ago Jake Browning is not the not that Jake Browning.
Speaker 7: We have, right, no, And it's like, you know when you just don't have that experience enough experience on the field, and God forbid.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem is if if Joe Flacco goes down with a turf toe and to Jake Browning, put me.
Speaker 7: In coach, but no, you can. Why don't you go in there? You'll line up right in there hop along?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of old people, we've got the river roots. Old people love steamboats. I will say that Matt Reece, I own Matt Reece, who is the octacary of seven hundred newsroom. He is like he's taking vacation days to go watch.
Speaker 7: The streaming down there, loving it.
Speaker 1: That's his people, right, Like the calliope music the whole thing.
Speaker 7: Are you going down?
Speaker 1: No, look at me, I've got one good leg. I'm on a roller. That's your You did come in here, No, I came in hot knowing where the where the landing is for the riverboats, Like, I'm not quite sure. I know how I'm little nervous. Wouldn't be nervous about navigating that. No, they may have an accommodation there, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: Is this a handicapped friendly? I know, is that going to be a complaint.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not like they had the eighty a back when steamboats were coming up and down the river. So I thought we've evolved period here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I will say the videos, Yeah, I'll call you out to talk to people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God forbid, I.
Speaker 7: Will say the videos and the photos I've seen of all the days lined up. That is a really cool visual and.
Speaker 1: Especially with the weather we're having too, it just really makes it pop, so you won't get seasick. I know some people going down to check it out, though.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think those are little kids. Good little kids love big boats like that. That's awesome, especially.
Speaker 7: During the day. And if you do get your chance, like if you've never been out on the river and on a boat on the river down down there. It's it's really really fun and it's cool experience. And I think the name River Roots have thrown people off a little bit because it's tall stacks two point zero rights as we were saying, And there's just a slew of you know, sixty plus different music acts that are all around town. So it goes from where the downtown like Gatement's Cove, down to the Black Music Hall of Fame, over onto the Purple People Bridge and over by Newport and Ovation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the Ovation.
Speaker 7: Side they have their whole Bourbon lineup going on. So the Bee line, different you know, distilleries and.
Speaker 1: Different cruises based on it too, right.
Speaker 7: Different cruises based on different themes. So they have kid friendly themes like Disney princess themes. They have a new Riff cruise, they have a greater cruise American Legacy Tours, which you know, I'm a big fan of. Yes, they're doing some history related cruises and just some basic lunch and dinner cruises for the opportunity to listen to the music and and take a nice little boat ride. So it's just something fun to do. Like you said, the weather's nice, and the tickets are relatively you know reasonable, They're priced around you know, thirty bucks for one of the cruises, so nothing crazy. And it's your chance to walk around downtown and walk around down by the river and take some nice photos. Turn this into your Christmas card opportunity. How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Right, this could be started yesterday and it runs till the end of the weekend the twelve. See how it goes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's we always forget to talk about food, do we show? Well? It always is like an after the restaurant ada. Yeah, yeah, why don't we bump something off to the top because I know you're excited to talk about.
Speaker 7: I am so excited to talk about So first of all, if you're like, how do you spell it, it's e t X E T Basque, So the yes so and people are like, what what is bas the excess silent and eja means home in Basque, and it's the region between France and Spain, in this small little region and allegedly they are known to have some of the most Michelin star restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's very true. You know about the Basque of because because when we think about the culinary history of France and then you have Spanish food, which is amazing. You put those two things together and.
Speaker 7: Then you incorporate the wine on top of it. Oh my goodness. So the really big hitter of etch A is the executive chef of Boca David, chef Maturn. He left along with his partner Heather together and they both come from Boca and they're starting their own things. That's what is and while they build and find their forever home. Really smart concept for anyone who's in the hospitality and restaurant business, they're doing a culinary residency. So two days a week Monday and sun or Sunday and Monday at the Aperture. So it's in East Walnut Walnut Hills area. So the Aperture is already an established restaurant. And Jordan who is the executive chef of Aperture, he's won James Beard Awards all the things. So they are operating in the Aperture space on Sundays and Mondays and launching their whole concepts, their own menus. So this is a really fun experience, not only to kind of get a new culinary experience, but taste what their menu is all about while they search and build out there.
Speaker 1: So they're waiting to build. But this is just like temporary.
Speaker 7: This is like this is temporary. Nice, We'll add that to the marketing lineup.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, all right, so it's like a pop up thing for a little while today. Yeah, get the Donel.
Speaker 7: Residency to make it feel a little bit more sophisticated than of being a pop up.
Speaker 1: And imagine with the food he scene here, it's probably sold out.
Speaker 7: To the Yeah, so this is this is the cool part is it's till the end of the year.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 7: October is already booked up. November it's about eighty to ninety percent booked up, and December starting to book up as well. This could be a really great opportunity if you're looking for something just something different to try. Also, the holidays are around the corner. But when I tell you the food is incredible because the executive chef of bog yeah, well you know for the last decade he was over there. So everything from meats and cheese plotters. The cheeses are so good to tapas large plates, steaks and there stake.
Speaker 1: It's got to be pretty good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Okay, So they have the pork shoulder dish and it's seasoned with like a little bit of salt on top. It is one of the best dishes I have ever.
Speaker 1: Feel it they cook the pork shoulders because now here would be like wow, just throw it on the smoker for a few hours.
Speaker 2: Are good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So the beauty behind the kitchen is so well thought out, and that's a big reason why they wanted to have their space at the aperture is they have a like a wood fired grill basically in the kitchen, and then you could see them cooking because there's a window that opens up so you could talk to David and you could talk to the staff and he brings out these huge slabs of meat to the table where you then get to pick portion of the meat you have. Really cool. They also have this gin cart, so Heather will roll out the gin cart and and so Molly Wellman, pick your gin, pick your sides in it. She'll make it for you on the fly. They also will have this bone marrow where they do a sherry luge, so you're drinking the sherry and they'll pour the sherry down the bone marrow and then you're it's it's actually but they do that in the best region. So they took that and they're bringing these small flares and then their bass cheesecake.
Speaker 1: So so sounds amazing good.
Speaker 7: It's so fun. And they have one of the best cocktails I've ever had. It's real Mundos, they real, they they know it's Mundos something like that. It's this bourbon cocktail with sherry in it and it has this wine floater on top, a little bit of a lemon. It is so refreshing, beautiful, very instagram.
Speaker 1: All right, so we'll see when goes in.
Speaker 7: This is just so it started October fifth, Yeah, October fifth till the end of the year. Sundays and Mondays. Go to et JA Cincinnati dot com to book your reservation. Book it because they're.
Speaker 1: It's book it's at X by the way, right, let's talk drinks. Let's talks.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So do you remember the drinkery next to Japs. Yeah, so they have done a completely new concept. It's now called Nice Life. So those who are familiar with the drinkery it was next as I said, it was next to Japs. And there's always this like little duo and October or third of four EG. They ended up starting this new concept. It's very disco and thought it inspired cocktail bar and dance hall.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it's a lot of retro yah disco balls of.
Speaker 1: Open shirts with chest chair, he kind of thing. I think, I don't know what the men do, but the women are open the chest chair. Yeah, I gotcha. You never know thelace I got you. But I shop some coke in the bathroom and they're doing it all they go and fall in on this or what you know.
Speaker 7: I didn't really get a good look at the bathrooms, but I'll check. And their cocktails are all based on it. So they have this Rosemary Rhapsody Saturday Night Cedar and it's a rotating menu, but they're bringing in acoustic acts and they're gonna have party cover bands, karaoke nights, local and national DJs they're bringing in and it's just a it's it needed a revamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's been a couple When it goes back to like at least fifteen fifteen, it feels like, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: I was in college, I was going there. Oh wow, okay, yeah, so you know the way you said that just made me feel old.
Speaker 1: I think how I felt fifteen years ago. You were in college. Fifteen years ago.
Speaker 5: I was here.
Speaker 7: I have to admit this is why I can't really go I don't go out out really late as much anymore, because.
Speaker 1: Are you old? I went to bed at nine last night? What are you talking about? I was looking forward to it. Yeah, like I'm gonna get on my get on my bipad out, read a book.
Speaker 7: What time do you go to bed?
Speaker 1: Uh, here's about ten thirty eleven.
Speaker 7: But I was really like a sleep by ten ten thirty.
Speaker 1: By eleven, Usually I fall. It takes me a while to land the plane. Michelle, She's like, I'm not really that. Like, I don't know how the hell she does it? Like me, I got, you know, awful thoughts going and everything else, and I take a melotone in and then.
Speaker 7: Eventually, well then how do you do you take a melotone in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I take like I take a half away. I take a whole melotone and it does not work. Well, Well, I'm just about five forty five.
Speaker 7: I am so groggy when I take a military wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be you're taking too much. Well, you're taking I learned you're taking too much so I split the pill down like too even maybe like a third of a five milligram or three miligram. I don't don't do it.
Speaker 7: Sometimes they have those like sleepy less cry less, you know. But I do get my best creative thoughts as I'm falling asleep. You never sometimes well sometimes I'll write them down and I'll wake up in the morning. Morning It'll be like what was I saying? Anyway? Anyway, So if you want to check out a new bar and be out till two o'clock in the morning, check out Nice Life. Their branding is really cool. I'm a fan and it's all disco themed.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, bring that back you got any I feel like we should talk Halloween. Sendny Halloween stuff, pretmature Halloween next couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Halloween's coming up. I'm you know, the family friendly vibe the Zoo is always a yeah. They do this jack o lantern.
Speaker 1: Glow, a crush of pumpkin.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, just eat the watermelon in the pumpkin hole.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna crush. I'm gonna crush and pumpkins. You think, be like if they like they throw those in the girrilla, you know, the frozen pumpkins or whatever. The girls go nuts.
Speaker 7: With them, the watermelon and the pumpkin. I feel like that's the same, the same family food group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, Simeons absolutely love pumpkin spice to not just a human Yeah yeah, yeah, Star really leaning into those. So this year absolutely solid.
Speaker 7: Uh So. Yeah. The Zoo has the Jackal l Intern Glow and that's fun because very similar to all of their events that they do, they they go above and beyond worth with their decor, so great time to bring the little kiddos. And then they also have the hull zooein. Yeah, you can dress up the little kiddos.
Speaker 1: I love this tiny earth is it because like the Halloween spice, And then once you start the lights, that's awesome. Yes, I know, especially if you get a little snow on the ground for some reason, snow and the lights together, it's pretty.
Speaker 7: Hold on, you're really jumping ahead snow and Halloween.
Speaker 1: No no, no, I said Christmas Holly. Yeah, I know we're not, but I like this.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 1: I'm in it.
Speaker 7: You ready, I'm ready. I'm going to put on my Christmas tree in October.
Speaker 1: You know what I saw last night and I heard one on the radio. But then I saw a commercial home depot holiday Christmas commercial home yesterday, yesterday, the night on the ninth of October.
Speaker 7: But that makes sense. Over the last couple of years again, Black Friday could be tomorrow and all of these holiday sales are going to be happening on Amazon. You go into Michael's, every Christmas tree possible is up, and the Halloween stuff is already for sale.
Speaker 1: The more depressing, like life events in the world and everything gets, the earlier we move Christmas up. You know, it's not because I need to find join Yeah, but here's the thing. If you really hate Christmas, doesn't that depressing more? Because there's people that hate the holidays, not every rel I know, I know, all right, having our local loop boy depression right up at the end there. That was fast.
Speaker 7: That's good.
Speaker 1: That's really good. It's really good.
Speaker 7: So are a little family friendly hall, Yeah go there, go check out Nice Life.
Speaker 1: You can get in Nice Life, Nice Life ext to japs.
Speaker 7: Yep, extra jobs, some family friendly Halloween fun at the zoo, and of course there's always kings im on Halloween Haunt, which I'm actually going this year. Yeah, so hyped I'm ready to be scared, right, I need to feel something.
Speaker 1: All I drive by it and there's like the fog is still hanging in the hair Arab They their fog budgets pretty big there, Just so you don't huge how much do you spend on FuG? It rolls out to the parking it's almost goes to seventy one way. You're driving past kings Ally driving the fog was blown across the road like it's like a nautical mile away from where the action is. Baby, that's a fog.
Speaker 7: That's what was gone.
Speaker 1: Uh probably about five years ago.
Speaker 7: Are you a roller coaster guy?
Speaker 1: I like roller coasters? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I see this is but this.
Speaker 7: Is why I like the Halloween hantics at King's Alan, because you can go yes for the spooky theme and have people jump out at you.
Speaker 1: What I can jump on a ride, but I'm also there for the right dry your tears on the sun of beasts. Anyway, there's Ali Martin at at Elly Martin eight uh and of course the Local Loop is where she hangs out on YouTube as well. Yeah all right, good seeing you have a great week. We'll chat again next ros see you gotta I gotta roll seven hundred. Nobody Love