Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and I'm Demand on the iHeart Radio app. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind, hosted by Petros, Papaday guests left school after sixth grade and the voice of the Bolts Matt money Smith.
Speaker 2: The answer is on money. There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 1: On the home of your world champion, Los Angeles Dodgers. Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App Cover.
Speaker 1: Cover one condition you adouncer with us.
Speaker 3: Everything you see your father, then you see me.
Speaker 1: You'll feel make yes he is what you Yeah that guys happen to you?
Speaker 4: Petro saying Money and five seventy l A Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. Full four hours today. Dodgers are off back tomorrow. That's a flex alert for us short show two to four first pitch from the Gaping Forward Broadcast booth five fifteen pm. But one more hour today before we pass it along to David Essay for off day Dodger Talk. Shoe Kelly will be his guest.
Speaker 1: That's right, and don't forget to podcast our show if you missed the interview we had Last Hour with Bob Chesney or Matt's NBA Three Things Thursday. It's all there on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone to be enjoyed later when the podcast is put up, or you can always stream it live on AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app and live your life that way, which is very modern, very convenient and quite a boon because it is free, which is a great feeling. It is down. It's great. Yeah, freeze better than not having things and having to pay for them when you don't have them. It's that sure. You have to hear the Fashionistas Culturista podcast. Yeah, but well you know the commercial for it.
Speaker 2: Small price to pay.
Speaker 1: It's still free, i'd like to think so for great sports talk, I would like to think so. All right, it is now time for the final hour fun fat.
Speaker 3: In effect, it's the yeah We're three fun facts.
Speaker 4: Fun Fact brought you back in Cordia University Irvin's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration program. It's fact coach has more influence on others in one year than the average person does in a lifetime. Make the most of that. Opportunity to impact others by finding out more at CUI dot edu slash coaching. Summer term starts May eighteen. New students get one thousand dollars off. Get it all squared away at CUI dot edu slash coaching. Two of the more popular soft drink brands in Singapore that did battle pee. One was called Anything and one was called whatever. They each offered six flavors. It was on first right. The cans were identical. You didn't know which of the six flavors you were going to get, and it took over Singapore for a number of years as the most popular brand of soft.
Speaker 3: Drink Anything or whatever. And it could be anything or whatever exactly right. Let's roll the dice and see what soda I got. Is it still around? I'd like to get a shot at that, right, I mean, I want to roll the dice just like Mama's fallen angel.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lose big, I always do.
Speaker 1: Matt. All right, it's time with the quick hits, TMS quick hits.
Speaker 2: I'll make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A quick follow up to a couple things from The Three Things Thursday. Lou Adler is the guy. Yes, it's next to and He's Still Alive. In ninety two, the Famous Producer and then the Demon Deacon the official mascot for the Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, North Carolina, following a nineteen twenty two game over Duke, a football game that the Duke was called Trinity at the time. It was a student newspaper editor, just like Steve Hartman for The Daily Bruin, that described the team as playing like Demon Deacons.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: A costume mascot appeared in nineteen forty one, representing a debonair old man often riding a motorcycle at game.
Speaker 2: It's so great old man that rides a motorcycle.
Speaker 1: The name reflects a combination of traditional religious roots and a fierce athletic demon approach.
Speaker 2: I love it to competition. It really is the best.
Speaker 1: It is central to the school traditions. The Demon Deeke love it. The Dodgers are in the lou They are a half game up on the Dads with the NL West. We're still in a panic. We have Dodgers on deck Tomorrow at four Vassayson like Matt said tonight at seven first Pitchers at five point fifteen tomorrow, em Itt shean on the Mount. Save us emmus our streets, s O S Save our streets. The Angels are struggling now. They've lost six in a row. They went oh and six on the last road trip to Kansas City and Chicago versus the Socks. They'll be home tomorrow night versus the Mats. And the word on the street is no more rats, no more.
Speaker 2: That's what they say.
Speaker 1: That concession, that one concession stand way up top is clean.
Speaker 4: It will be open. And by the way, they got swept by the Socks. I saw, you know, checking around the local rags, and I saw a headline about that fat Japanese player that the White Sox signed.
Speaker 2: That the guy can't even get his better on.
Speaker 1: He's so fat and slow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got twelve home runs. He's like the best power hitter in baseball this year. The fat guy.
Speaker 1: Leeah. I mean, I'm just tired of vast say calling people fat. Right. The Lakers are going back to Houston tomorrow for Game six. Matt talked about it in Three Things Thursday. They hold a three to two series lead. Kevin Durant has already been ruled out for Game six. The Lakers need to shoot better from three. They were combined seven for twenty seven. Jabron Lames was zero for six from three. The Lakers got all the pressure on them. Now put that kind of pressure on him. Here is JJ Reddick after the game last night.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit of game planing, Kyp. He mistakes defensively for us in that second quarter.
Speaker 1: You know, you gotta give them a lot of credit.
Speaker 5: They've made shots tonight and including some guys who you know normally don't make threes. You know, I think are in our defense. You know, do you hope ninety nine is enough to win? And we just couldn't make shots, you know, miss some layups. Certainly had some good looks from three that they didn't go down. But we'll take a look at the whole process and take a look at the substitution patterns and figure out where we can be better in game six. What is the right type of reaction to this moment? And I guess kind of how do you view your job over the next forty eight hours with your group? It's the first team to win four games in a series. We happened to have won the first three. They happened to have won the last two. We've got to be better.
Speaker 4: I don't know for certain, but I think KYP is know your personnel? Yeah, is that what he's throwing out here? One that's into engagement farming, Matt, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's KYP.
Speaker 6: A little bit of.
Speaker 5: Game plan and KYP he mistakes defensively for.
Speaker 2: A little bit of game plan. Little KP some form of it.
Speaker 5: A little bit of game plan and KYP know your puzzo, A little bit of game plan and KYP, pretty young thing, KYP, a little bit of game plan a YP, KYP, pretty young thing.
Speaker 1: What do you?
Speaker 2: What do you do here?
Speaker 1: What do we thank you?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 1: The condescending? Yes, they happened. We've got to be better.
Speaker 4: Shut up, blew that big line right before he finished, we gotta be better.
Speaker 1: The Lakers G League team is moving from El Segundo to the Desert.
Speaker 2: Finally, let's go see the damn South Bay Lakers.
Speaker 1: People from the South Bay who love them?
Speaker 2: I don't think they do.
Speaker 1: He went to those games, Okay, I'm from born and raised, Okay, and you ever been some form of a beginning Next season, the Lakers South Bay are relocating to the Greater Palm Springs region and will be renamed the Coachella Valley Lakers. The Coachella Valley Lakers will play their home games at Akrasher Arena in Palm Desert, right off the ten Freeway. The Lakers do have a history in Coachella Valley. They used to go to the Aka Tea Lodge on the one to eleven is go to the Palm Springs Marriott and they held training camp down there in the eighties and had playing a spot. See what happened preseason games down there the last two years. This is huge news on the Rogan report.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can imagine. Don't let them have it Pee take it from him. You got residents in the desert, get out there, report on the latest.
Speaker 2: Happen the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 1: Doing the show right now? Man? I mean I'm here. What am I supposed to do? Go? Can't stop it like the wind. Don't you talk about the desert. You won't take ownership of this story, Fred, you.
Speaker 2: Best own it own the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 1: I'm like the Chargers guy. You know where's your Charger pride? Dean Spanos you know I'm I'm a South Bay guy. I don't want to lose the South Bay Lakers. Where's your Chargers pride? Deep span on? Now there's no more blood dried? Or who's going to give the bites to the kids? Oh the stuff that's been going down for Christmas and all that. Who's gonna do that? Now? Who's gonna do that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because I ain't pottowing to La. You're gonna lose a lot of your support in LA. Don't want you. What you gonna do?
Speaker 7: Come back?
Speaker 1: You t come back to San Diego. I don't think that's gonna happen. That it's gonna this is San Diego Chargers. That's what I know from my friends. I mean, I have dead was loved ones when they were passing.
Speaker 4: Away Dog Jones right there in Imperial Beach, that happy man, I made a song and save our boats on the real that thing's flyway right now.
Speaker 1: Cleveland dot COM's Instagram account shared a video yesterday longtime NFL beat writer Mary Kate Cabot saying she believes d Shaun Watson should be the brown starting quarterback this season. Shiloh Sanders, the brother of Brown's quarterback, should do a Sanders did not appreciate her take and posted a comment under the ig video saying go make a sandwich. Mary. Chilot didn't stop there, he got on the twitch. He went on video to do more about Mary Kate Cabot.
Speaker 7: And this is to Mary kay. If you're gonna be a reporter, be a reporter and report facts whenever you have your opinion, and your opinion is always something hateful to chordn it makes it seem like it's something weird, like it's an agenda that you have going on. And there's plenty of women in this field that take this serious and take reporting football serious and actually do homework and study the game and get the statistics right and get the news right. But with you, it's so much emotion that I don't want you to make women look bad when it comes to reporting because you don't have the will to actually want to report real things that are going on. So it only makes sense you want to go talk about this and that, this and that and many kim they don't even have all the receivers.
Speaker 6: How are you gonna say.
Speaker 7: Oh, this, this is what I think is gonna happen. We don't care what you think is gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Lets you do or go practice.
Speaker 1: He don't need to be.
Speaker 7: Going on Instagram and Twitter and stuff and always seeing you just badmouth. That's what I got a problem with, you know what I'm saying. If it's reporting, its reported, you got facts. But when it comes to your opinion, you've been saying crazy things for the past sure since he's been there. So it's like, just chill with that because it don't make no sense and it makes you look crazy, like you don't know what you're talking about. And for all the women that actually take the time to go do their research and actually be real reporters and real journalists, then that's gonna make them look bad because you already know as a woman in this field of reporting football and sports like it's hard. So don't make it hard on everybody just because you don't feel.
Speaker 2: Like nobody knows better than shot.
Speaker 1: Wow, look let him cook, That's what I say. That was awesome, That was great. Yeah, it's Mary Kate Cabitt the only one saying that. The new coach with Monkin came in and said, yeah, we I'd like to give Deshaun Watson to try and we pay him billions of dollars.
Speaker 4: The buzz coming out of the combine was that Monkin was really pushing to give Deshaun Watson the care of one and have him lose it.
Speaker 1: Shiloh might say a might do a video against you. And I know Shiloh had that's a budding career. Matt that guy, I mean, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy that went what bankrupt? That had like what ten million bucks in liabilities and jewelry and abissts he tried to open who had no business playing power for football? And Mary Kay has been on the Browns beat I'm gonna say for probably thirty years at least. Maybe she's probably one of the longest tenured beat reporters in the NFL with a single team.
Speaker 1: Well, she don't know what she's doing though. No, it's just don't make a sandwich. She makes the other women the do day research and get the stats right. She makes them look bad. And I don't like that. And I don't like your having a look at Twitter and see how stuff.
Speaker 4: No, No, when he goes on Twitter, he wants to be doing his dance. He wants to be showing off his.
Speaker 1: Watch or moving his mouth and unspeaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that too, Yeah, Shiloh.
Speaker 1: Game six versus the Ducks, Shilo Ducks versus oilers. S the word means peace.
Speaker 2: I love Sanders. Go make us sandwich dogs Oilers.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, ducks, Oilers. There freaking oilers. Ducks Adam right where they wanted him. And now it's a three to two series. They win, they send the Oilers home.
Speaker 2: They lose.
Speaker 4: It goes to Game seven and Edmonton does what they typically do, rip your guts out.
Speaker 1: That that's what might happen to the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt, why are you so pissy? Why are you so pissy? You're answering your guy?
Speaker 5: You are whenever I ask you a question, I gave you an answer, not very good ones.
Speaker 1: He went on to say, I like reporters that do they research with the stats. Yeah, the stats correct, You get the stats, get the statistics correct.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: You know, his brother Shu was a pro bowler, so he certainly, you know, certainly has a case.
Speaker 1: Now, Matt, there's a college basketball story here. Uh.
Speaker 4: Streaming strikes again. Amazon has struck a deal with Duke first of its kind partnership. They will stream three Marquee men's basketball games, Duke Yukon, Duke Michigan, Duke Gonzaga. It will include extensive nil opportunities for Duke Athletics. It is part of a broader retail partnership that will be expanded and announced at a later date. I think the bad news here is streaming and places you got to pay to see sports continues to expand. The good news is bringing back pretty freaking great college basketball matchups, cross conference matchups Yukon, Michigan, Gonzaga, and Duke, which we're all four to make the regular season more relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they just expanded the tournament to like eighty two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're seventy six. Now we're gonna beat one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Two is something nobody wants. Oliver Rue, who's seven to nine, the tallest player in college hoops and the tallest player to score a Division score in a Division one game, is going to UC Irvine next year to be an Eater. The former Florida center red shirt of the season when the Gators won the national title in twenty twenty five, appeared in eleven games last season. In late March, he announced that he would enter the portal in search of more playing time, and now he's headed to play for the end Eaters. Who's coach, Russ Turner is a very famous big man guru.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, we had Mama Dunjai. I think was what seven to Taco Fall of the West Taco Fall, Yeah, I think, I think, yeah, I think Enjai was like seven to six. So there you go. Re you very exciting. Go see the Eaters and get your eyes on that guy.
Speaker 1: How soon before he's at UCLA Brewing after one year at uc Irvine. That's what Nick Cronin says. Maybe he flipped Russ Turner a little bit of a little bit. All right, we'll be back with more Petrol Send Money. We'll talk some NBA and how much trouble are the Lakers in coming up next, and then Dead and Alive and then Joe Kelly with David Masse at seven.
Speaker 4: O'clock with Off Night Dodger Talk on your Dodger Station.
Speaker 1: Petros Papadakis. That money Snare. This is Petrol Send Money on Demand.
Speaker 4: You want a thousand bucks, All you gotta do is listen between nine a and five p every week to it's your chance to win a thousand dollars every hour from A five to seventy ela sports. We call it Bonus Bucks and it's brought to you by Sweet James Accident Attorney's office in Los Angeles, California, and Sweet James dot Com.
Speaker 1: Joining us right now to discuss all things, including the Lakers loss last night at home to Houston. Is our dear friend, the leading score in the history of UCLA and the PAC twelve. His statue stands strong above Lemon Park in beautiful Seami Valley, his hometown, the baron of Box Canyon, and the next ass he kisses will be the first in the middle of Camp McLain with CAA grooming the youth for the NBA Draft, and of course the Big Ten Network, the PAC twelve Network, FS one and Fox. On your Toyota SoCal Celebrity Hotline, it is Don McLain, our dear friend.
Speaker 6: Hello, Don, how's going guys? Well McLain at fifty six ISAs is it used to be at forty six.
Speaker 2: I've got a new move.
Speaker 6: I have a new move.
Speaker 2: What's the new move?
Speaker 6: So for the past couple of years, you know, I work out in the morning that I'm on the court forever it seems like four or five hours, and then I'd come home and steam. We have a steam shower at our house.
Speaker 1: Oh, take a steam, and then.
Speaker 6: Typically after that I would go sit outside for a little bit, probably with a beverage. And now I'm taking the liquid candies in the steam and it is magical.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a Tarantula Hill brew that we all appreciated the Thousand Oaks area. You know you're not I mean you know, I mean I know that you know your limitations there done. But but you know you're not supposed to drink in the jacuzi and all that. What if you blow yourself.
Speaker 6: Out, there's zero chance of that. I feel too good.
Speaker 2: You are more than one or is it a limit of one?
Speaker 6: No, it's just one. You know, they come into pint size. It's not a twelve ounce, it's a sixteen ounce.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So once once sufficient, it's only a it's only a twelve to fifteen minute ordeal. It's not like a sitting in there for an hour.
Speaker 1: I stretch it out to two hours maybe and dropped you know, six or seven of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what happened to Don? Don was found dead naked, curled up with a bunch of empties. Well that's a great technique, dondie. Do you notice that it helps you out on the court with the young guy.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no doubt. It's saving my season this year.
Speaker 4: I can tolerate their idiocy.
Speaker 1: Did you were you able to watch a Laker game last night? Donna james Worthy told us it was a must win for the Lakers.
Speaker 6: How about my man, Reed Shepherd? Yeah, And speaking of Camp McClean, he was here two years ago and he walks in the gym and You're like, wait a second, this kid's going to be a top five, top ten, top five pick. There's zero chance. But one thing that stood out, and it happened last night. And I've been doing this for twenty some years. His defensive hands might be the best I've ever seen in terms of stripping guys, poking balls away, blocking it from behind, getting in passing. His defensive hands are unbelievable. And for him to take it from Lebron in that situation just tells you how good they are. And so I'm happy for him because every time he plays, not only in the playoffs, in the regular season, they target him, they go after him, and last year it was bad. He's gotten a lot better this year, and I was happy for him that he had such a big effect on last night's game and win for the Rockets. That Big said, you know the Lakers, was it a must win? No, because they were up three to one. But now I think the pressure is even more on them to win. They got to win in Houston. If they don't, they have a game seven. And that's the psychology piece of this. It's that you don't go into game six thinking, Okay, well if we don't win, at least we have game seven at home. Well, the Rockets just beat you at your place. So none of these games are must wins. But they probably should win this next one. But you can't turn it over fifteen times. And you just wonder with the defense. Has it kind of been a regression to the mean for the Rockets the last two and that they're just shooting it better just because or is it the Lakers defense has dropped off a little bit after going up three to zero. I think it's probably a little bit of both. But they got to step that defense back up if they're going to close this thing out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don it's interesting to kind of just to reinsert Austin Reeves, right, he's, you know, an All Star, you certainly want him on the court. He started out the game scalding hot, and then in the second half, Guy couldn't buy a shot. He's won for nine Luke Canard gets out of his flow. Guy had twenty seven and twenty four in the first two. He had one point last night. Do you see that as being a problem for Canard going back to the bench and maybe not having the same role he had early in this series. Has he completely disappeared last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the tricky part, obviously, said it man. You want Austin Reeves in the game, obviously, but there's a transition there. Guys, roles change it. I'm not surprised that Luke didn't play well. You get accustomed to a role for a stretch of games and then it changes. I don't care how good you are. Most guys, that throws them off. I think though, that it's probably only a last night thing. I think that once you recalibrate and understand, Okay, now he's back, Now you know what's coming because you didn't know, Like Austin Reeves could have played the first three minutes and then been back out of the game and things could have been different. But now you know, going into game six, okay, this is the deal, and I bet you Luke bounces back and has a much better game.
Speaker 2: Who do you don who do you think is the better team?
Speaker 4: Because Game three was so weird, right, I mean like Rockets should have won, Like they absolutely should have won that game. Now they didn't, so they got to try to win four in a row. But like when you look at the teams and again, Kevin Durant's is not going to play in Game six as well, do you think the Lakers are better? Decidedly better? Are the Rockets back? What do you see out there?
Speaker 6: That's tough on man, because I think you know the same conversation that we just had about Austin Reeves being back in the lineup. How much is Houston trying to get used to playing without KD? When KD early in the series played like and I think we talked about this on the show, like I don't know what they were doing offensively, it was almost like, just give it to KD and get out of the way. Well that's gone. So does that make him worse or better? I think it might make him better. And that's no slide on KD is one of the greatest ever. But I think there's been some of that and I think maybe now Houston has settled into okay, he ain't coming back, so we got to do it, and maybe that's brought out the better in these other Houston Rockets players. So to answer the question, I'm not really sure, Like I think it's I think it's even enough that you can't really say which team's better, to be honest.
Speaker 4: And when you watch DeAndre Ayton and I can't figure it out, Like I don't know what's up with his hands. It never it seems like he can never catch an entry pass cleanly. But the guy's rolling last night, right, He's getting every putback, he's cleaning up every rebound, he's getting oh rebounds, creating second chances, and it's work and he scores like six straight points to keep him in the game. Do you keep feeding that or are you just like, you know what, let's just be happy we got that and let's go back to jack and threes because they missed all the damn threes they took. And I just don't know if you're supposed to feed him because it looks like it's not gonna work out, and somehow the ball just goes through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that's his personality, and I think that's been the problem. And look, he's a good player, but I think that's always been the problem with Aiden. It's like the expectations because of the physical tools and the skill and the touch that he has, Like he should be an All Star every year. Let's be honest, Like, looking at what he's been given and who he is as a player, if he had an exceptional motor, he would be an All Star every year. But he's not. And that's okay. He's still a good NBA player, But I just want wonder if that stretch he was gassed and like wasn't going to do it anymore. So, look, he's not demanded. My point is, if if he was that guy and he scored six in a row, he would he would be demanding the ball. He would be demanding it every time down there. But that's just not him and never has been.
Speaker 1: The great Don McClain is our guest, your guy, Cooper Flagg or you had last year won the Rookie of the Year. You didn't. You didn't strut that in front of everybody and kicking Dimar on his goatee. I mean that had, but that has to be pretty gratifying to see old Cooper flag. He couldn't have done it without you.
Speaker 6: Don Yes, he could have number one, no doubt. But look, he's going to be he he if he stays healthy because of his mind and his toughness in his IQ, he's going to be a great player in the league for a long time, like perennial All Star if the ever get good enough. In the conversation for MVPs like his that's the one thing that jumped off the page because he came here for three straight years. Last year was a draft, but the two years before just how his brain works and how he thinks about the game, but also just his will to succeed, like no one's going to stop him from doing what he wants to do. And there's a great story that I was told last year. I don't know if I told you guys this, but what was it two years ago or three years ago when he was on that select team that was going to play Lebron and eate Ad and all those guys in Vegas before the Olympics. Remember that. Yeah, So Nick Kerr Steve Son was like helping out with the team kind of like a manager, and Cooper was sitting on one of the chairs. It was getting ready to start. He's like putting on his shoes and Nick Kerr was said to Cooper, Hey, like, are you kind of nervous? You know, look at all these guys out there. And Cooper stopped and hesitated, looked at Nick and said, just watch the show, jeez, that's how he operates. It's a different level, man. I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Don McClain, ladies and gentlemen, the best of the best, always coming through with the cutting edge commentary and life tips and hacks like IPA in your own personal steam bath. Thank you, Don, have a great day, and onward Camp McLain.
Speaker 6: Onward you guys.
Speaker 1: A big thank you to Don McClain. We will have your dad and a live guy Birthday of the Day next and wrap it up on this crunching group Thursday, remember flex Alert Tomorrow. We'll start at two. David Vassy starts at seven with Joe Kelly and off night Dodger Talk. But still one more second to Petrosen Money still to come.
Speaker 2: This is Petro on Demand.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for listening, everybody. Petro send money on AM five seventy LA Sports, your home of Dodger Baseball Dodger Talk Tonight featuring Joe Kelly Inland Empire superstar and Dodger favorite live from Rancho Kook. Dave will have him Dodger Talk Off Night version starts at seven, and then they're going to Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they start a road trip in the Midwest there Saint Louis, followed by Houston before coming back to Dodger Stadium. Certainly a disappointing stretch after dropping two or three to the Marlin and see if they can get right on this off day better, Hey, you're better or else? Panic brothers really going to show up come Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that you know what comes with that, panic, panic, alarms, panic and irrational behavioral man, all of those things, very un irrational behaviors comes with it. Right. We'll be on tomorrow at two o'clock, So it's a two to four show on the Flex Alert. Don't forget to podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app or you can stream it live there as well. That is the best place to get it. Okay, you're dead guy. Birthday of the Day one hundred and fifty nine years old today. Alice B.
Speaker 2: Toklas a favorite of yours.
Speaker 1: Expatriot, lesbian Polish Jew. Usually we celebrate her partner, her lesbian partner, Matt Gertrude Stein.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember an appearance.
Speaker 1: I don't remember any of this stuff about I heard She's made an appearance in Gertrude Stein's story. But she was from San Francisco and Seattle. She went to U dub back after that to the Bay Area Puto babol and after the nineteen o six San Francisco earthquake, she left the area and she moved to Paris, met the avant garde rider, her more famous counterpart, Gertrude Stein, author of Tender Buttons, which marked the beginning of a forty year relationship. They hosted a famous salon for all of the cool people in Paris twenty seven Rue des Fleur who hung out there, Ernie Hemingway, f Scott Fitzgerald and Picasso and Salvador Dali hell of the crew. During World War One, both women drove ambulances after learning from a Parisian taxi driver how to drive. And during World War Two. They're both Jewish. They're very lucky to be when the war broke out in their country. Home on the Swiss border, avoiding arrest because of their obscurity, the goodness of neighbors, and probably their American citizenship. Toklas had a gnarly mustache even though she was a chick and like manicured it.
Speaker 2: That's different times.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, she was very small. She loved sandals. Gertrude Stein died in nineteen forty six and willed most of her stuff to Toeklas, including all the picassos, and there was all kinds of Salvador Dali paintings and stuff that was priceless. But because they were Lesbionds and had no legal relationship in France, it was all seized by her relations while she was on vacation. Sadly she had to survive because of the goodness of friends. Some of her writings. She is quite famous for her weed brownies. Her cookbook very popular in the nineteen sixties. In fact, there's a Peter Sellers movie called I Love You Alice B. Toklas all about the brownies. They're prominently featured. No good weed brownie is hard to find. Her recipe is kind of like the recipe for weed brownie. Hers call for a Sativa. I'm not sure everybody wants to be that riled up, she wrote her memoirs. There's an LGBTQ democratic club in San Francisco named after her, called the Alice B. Toeklas Club Budo bay Bolt. She died in poverty in nineteen fifty seven after becoming Catholic. She is buried next to Stein in Paris. They couldn't afford a headstone for her, so they just carved her name on the back of Gertrude's headstone. Alice B. Toklas a figure of the ex patriot Renaissance of France.
Speaker 2: Well also with a mustache. Our live guy.
Speaker 4: Birthday of the Day, Happy fifty ninth to one of Russia's most famous singers, one of the Soviet Union's most famous singers, Philip Bedros Kokorov.
Speaker 2: Hello, comrades, holda let me take sweet food, coat the Soviets, in the Russians, in the Soviet newspapers.
Speaker 1: Once again, the pleasure was all.
Speaker 2: Yours, the Soviet Soviet.
Speaker 4: Kirkharov born in Bulgaria, father was a singer, grew up on the road. During his childhood, lived in Moscow. Father used to bring him up on stage dad's big hit was snook Son, dedicated to Soviet tank cruise from Varna in nineteen forty four. It was the closer of his set and at the end of the song, a young Philip would walk on the stage and give his father a car nation as the audience a flooded. This bio was incredible. He wanted to be an actor, but he failed his exams. How you fail your theater exams?
Speaker 6: But he did.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's got to memorize Hamlet and all that, you know.
Speaker 4: So he turned to musical comedy, which I guess is the thing out there. He shows up for his television debut on the program Wider Circle with the song. It was a Russian song he covered from the sixties. Al Aliosha did it in Bulgarian and it became a huge hit, and it made Philip a big star.
Speaker 2: He would tour. They got what I.
Speaker 4: Took away from this A lot of music competitions in the Soviet Union at the time, and he's just kind of going from one televised or live music festival competition to another.
Speaker 1: Almost like a singing mercenary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, hey, I I don't care if I like this song or that song I want to sing, You sing against ten other people and can you sing better than them? Like basically that's his career. He was in the finals of Pensna Goda. He had a song called nebo Ezemya that got him the crown in That Sky and Earth. The following year he won the Music Video of the Year competition with his song Atlantida Atlantis, and he starts getting popular all over Europe. He ends up getting the nod for Russia in Eurovision nineteen ninety five, finishes seventeen ninety six. He wins the World Music Awards for the best selling Russian artist over two million copies. Ninety seven is world tour covered one hundred cities. He gets a month long residency.
Speaker 1: One hundred cities right.
Speaker 4: The Atabriski Concert Hall in Saint Petersburg is where he as his residency. He starts writing for other artists, starts putting those artists into the contests. He becomes a judge on those shows, had his own morning show, Mornings with Kerkharoff.
Speaker 2: For a while he won awards his best presenter.
Speaker 1: More Joyful than a Soviet morning ship right.
Speaker 2: And then p public controversies. No in Russia Oh yeah, here we go.
Speaker 4: May two thousand and four, Kirkharoff insults journalist Irina Aroyen at press conference using obscene language, criticizes her appearance, demands she leaves. His bodyguards assault her and destroy her tape recorder. He was found guilty in August of the same year of insults and find sixty thousand rubles.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, you know, I mean that's kind of par for the course for celebrities.
Speaker 2: Guilty of insult.
Speaker 4: He sends his guards to attack Yuri Schevchuk, frontman of rock band DDT, after Schevchuk makes offensive comments about Kirkharov's wife and accusations of Kerkharoff lip syncing live.
Speaker 1: All right, now, we're getting a little.
Speaker 4: More right, beats the hell out of him. Charges dropped September nine, caught on camera breaking and seizing a camera belonging to NTV journalist Veronica Koslova. Again fine insults. December twenty ten, slapped a female assistant because he was unhappy with lighting at a concert venue.
Speaker 1: Oh God, and.
Speaker 4: That one was so bad they were going to send him to the clink. So he fled to Israel and had himself interned at a psychiatric hospital noticly admitted I have a psychological problem and apologize to Yabakhlova after attending a controversial naked party. He had to apologize, saying, quote attendance as mistake. My status requires greater responsibility in using events. It will not happen again. That is our man, Philip bedros corcorof Naked Party. Naked Party must choose better Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, our Naked Party starts at two, so you're not gonna want to miss that. Frog Man Friday. But tonight David Vasse coming up in just moments, and he will have Joe Kelly with the latest on the Inland Empire, and of course Dodger fan disillusionment over losing a series to the Florida Marlin. Good Night, Everybody Less. Friday checked out his con secret