Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Well, the snow has stopped and the Dodgers and Rockies are getting ready for first pitch. Our guest Blake Trenton, three time World Series champions, got his snow hat on. He's about to go outside and get ready for this game tonight.
Speaker 3: Blake, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Dave, You're always welcome.
Speaker 3: Have you been outside yet?
Speaker 1: No, I'm too old to be out there letting the joints subtle. I need to sit in here, get nice and warm. Save it for the game.
Speaker 3: You played on the East Coast with the Nationals.
Speaker 2: How much have you experienced snow games and having to deal with snow early in the day and then temperatures in the mid thirties.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think I've really played snow in the big leagues, but in college I was at South Dakota State. Go Jack Rabbits, mid major powerhouse. If anybody wants to go look them up. Invented the cookies and cream ice cream.
Speaker 3: I mean, now I'm all in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most people will be you know, no, but I'm used to playing in pretty cold weather. We played in Minnesota in twenty two it was like thirty two degrees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you remember that. It was awful.
Speaker 2: Grusha had a no hither he did guys the goat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so playing in the cold, if you can get warm, is an advantage to the picture. That's what I've always told myself. And so it's just a matter of finding a way to get yourself ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the routine? What is what changes for a relief picture? Specifically, since you guys are out there for the majority of the beginning of the game, remember doing.
Speaker 1: A lot of jazzer, sizing, jumping jacks. I don't know, with anything to keep the blood flowing. Man, It's like, you gotta find ways to stay moving because if you sit, then you start to settle and it's just not great. So games like this in the cold really aren't good for players. But that's part of why we're professionals.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Games aren't aways supposed to be easy. It's not just the talent and competing against the player. It's competing against your own mind and telling yourself it's not a big deal, and preparing yourself for whatever the guess the environment throws your way. Sometimes it's rained sometimes it's heat like it was in Tampa last year, and this year it's gonna be snow on the field in Colorado.
Speaker 3: So Blake trying it is our guest. Blake.
Speaker 2: The Dodger bullpen has been phenomenal to start the season. Yourself included how much joy have you rediscovered in the game this year or how do you feel like you're pitching with joy again this year?
Speaker 1: I mean, when things are going well, it's easier. I think staring down, you know, I don't have a lot of time left in this game, and just trying to be present for whatever the moment is. I mean, it's my last year with the Dodgers on my contract, so I'm just trying to be present and hopefully leave a good legacy of my name here with with the with the Dodgers organization, with my teammates, with the fans, and by the end of the year hoisting up another trophy and and.
Speaker 3: And going out with with with a bang, you know. Like, so.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing is, you know, fishing this contract to the satisfaction of the organization, the fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it feels like you're off to that type of start. What do you believe you've rediscovered what what has worked for you so far this year.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think just being aggressive end zone again, not that I wasn't trying last year. It's just for whatever reason, we've found some things to work. And then you know, the body is just moving better than it has for a while.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, there's not like really a golden answer there, but you know, by the grace of God, it's been great. And that's really the root of it is, you know, working hard and just a lot of prayer, and so far things have been going well, and I just pray it continues that way and at the gift that God has given me shines bright on the biggest stage.
Speaker 2: Blake Alex Bessi is about three lockers down from you. What's it been like to have him back with you guys after missing the World Series and just everything he's gone through and the way that he's come back with this type of positive mindset.
Speaker 1: But he's a good friend to a lot of us and myself included, and you know, a huge part of this team and why we were in the World Series.
Speaker 3: Not having him there is awful.
Speaker 1: What they went through is even worse and I think just getting back to what feels like normalcy, you know, for for him and his family, seeing him out there competing, finding ways to move forward all areas of our life. There's gonna be challenges, and you know, just finding ways to to keep keep plugging and enjoying the joys that are in front of us. I think, you know, baseball is a big part of you know, their process and his process as a person, I mean, and that's what's brought him this far. And so just getting back and competing and having him around is great. And he's got a great support system here, His families amazing people. His wife is is such a beautiful person inside and out. So yeah, I think it's it's a it's a blessing for all of us to be back together. And you know, just the way he's throwing this years is pretty awesome. It's good to see him back in his element and thriving.
Speaker 2: What does it mean to you when you hear him talk about watching your leadership when he first got here, to help him grow into being part of this Dodger bullpen and here he is joining you as now one of the veterans in that bullpen. How much does it mean to you that you've set that example for the next generation of Dodger relievers.
Speaker 1: Well, that's news to me. I think Alex speaks kindly of me to other people. To me, it's a lot of like blank stares, and you know, befuddlement is like, you know, what are you doing today?
Speaker 3: Why aren't you doing this?
Speaker 1: Stop eating the ice cream bar blake if you don't want to look fat. You know, he's he's got a he's got a very aggressive and intense demeanor. And you know, we we have a lot of good laughs. But you know, if he's saying those things when no one's watching it, that means a lot to me. So I've been a believer of him from day one. Always felt like he was going to be a ten.
Speaker 3: Year big leaguer.
Speaker 1: Just the way he prepares and his compete and very comfortable in his own skin. It's a lot of pieces there, and then obviously how he's developed himself in his craft over the years. It's it's why he's where he's at. So if I had a part in it, that's a that's a cool thing. That's really what any of us who stick around would love to well, would love to be able to say at the end of the day when they hang it up, is like, you know, I did my best to pay it forward to bless other people in some way, shape or for.
Speaker 2: Him, no doubt, Blake, trying to make a difference with so many different teammates over the years.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: And we're in the Kruse Shaw real estate area now you're you're kind of in the old Kruse Shaw lockers spot.
Speaker 1: I know, I think I owe them Rent.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I gotta give him a call and see how much I owe him for taking a spot today. But you know, from one old man to another, I just I guess i'll, i'll, I'll embrace it. So this is where Kersh was, and then I'll embrace me in here. It's a lot of greatness. So maybe it'll rub off on me for this.
Speaker 2: Series, all right, love it. Four game series starts tonight. Thanks a lot for the time, Blake.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: I'll be thinking about you out there when you're with those pine trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're up in your cozy little luth with a fire on, schipping on your latte.
Speaker 3: I do love almond milk.
Speaker 1: That's that's the problem. Real milk is created for a reason. You have to press a nut in order to get milk.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.