Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk. Get in on the show by calling eight six six eight seven or hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David.
Speaker 2: Basse, Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight. We are going to share our conversations with World Series heroes Miguel Rojas and Max Mounsey tonight. Had a chance to catch up with both of them at Dodger Fest, did not have a chance to share it this past Saturday, thought we hold it back for tonight's show, so you will hear from Max Monsey and Miguel Rojas with us for the first time tonight. Max Mounsey will join us in fifteen minutes. We'll share our conversation with Miguel Rojas at the bottom of the hour, and also we'll reshare some of the highlights of our conversation with Freddie Freeman as well from Saturday's Dodger Fest. And look, we always talk about what's the biggest need for the Dodgers during an off season or what's their biggest task during the off season. Well, they signed Edwin Diaz and Kyle Tucker to shore up two of the spots that really were not as productive and gave them some heartache last year. Well, Freddie Freeman has two more years left on his contract. I would love to see him finish his career with the Dodgers. I would love to see the Dodgers just put away that question this off season and extend Freddy sometime between now and opening Day. But I can understand from Andrew friedman standpoint, why don't we just see how this year plays out. The CBA is expiring at the end of the year and circle back. But once the dust is settled, after a new CBA has agreed upon, whenever that's going to be about, lock up Freddie Freeman and make him that legacy player and give him a shot to get three thousand hits in a Dodger uniform. But I can understand the Dodgers' hesitation with so much uncertainty with the CBA coming up at the end of this upcoming season. So I would love to see it happen. But I can understand if they didn't do it this op season. It would be great if they were able to do it next op season and not just have him as a lame duck player going into his final year of his contract in twenty twenty seven. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I mentioned, I'm with you until eight o'clock. I'm hoping to make it to the Laker game by halftime. Wish me luck for that. But since I got to experience going to a Laker game from my home in the San Fernando Valley for the first time this year, I had no idea. It takes two hours to get to Crypto downtown from the San Fernando Valley, So this is the place you want to be. I will help you. Just relax, enjoy, give you some baseball news, share Munsey, share Rojas with you until you get there. So thank you for joining us on this beautiful Thursday in Los Angeles. And there is some baseball news that I'm sure some of your friends are saying. Well, that means he's coming to the Dodgers. Pump the brakes. And what I'm talking about is Trek Scooball winning his arbitration case earlier today. Scott boris the goat of goats as far as sports agents go to get this arbitration win for schoolbl It's record setting in more ways than one. David Price was the pitcher that won the largest arbitration case back in twenty fifteen against the Tigers nineteen point seventy five million dollars school Ball one thirty two million dollars. The Tigers were offering nineteen million dollars. And in case you don't know, how it goes in an arbitration hearing, and this is the reason why so many teams avoid going into an arbitration hearing with their player, a player, especially the caliber of Tarrek Scouble. The way it works is the team's job to win, and there's no middle ground. The middle ground is to be had before you walk into that arbitration hearing. So now the arbiter has to choose either the player's number, which was thirty two million dollars in this case for Trek's Scouoble, or the arbiter chooses the number that the team submitted and the team the Tigers submitted nineteen million dollars as the number. So it can't be the arbiter saying, oh well, okay, let's meet somewhere in the middle. No, they have to choose either the player's number or the team's number, and they chose to Eric Scouble and Scott Boris's number of thirty two million dollars instead of the Tigers lowball number of nineteen million dollars, which wouldn't have even set a new record because David Price, like I mentioned in twenty fifteen, was awarded nineteen point seventy five million dollars. And this is a long line of the Tigers mishandling Schooble. Since he became a prominent pitcher in Major League Baseball, they have low balled him extension offers. And then this is the most egregious. So, like I mentioned, I'll explain this really quickly how it happens in arbitration. The team's job is to say what Trek Schouble hasn't done well so that they can win the arbitration hearing. While Schooble and Scott Boris and his people are saying, I've done this, I've won two cy Youngs on this that this while the team is trying to tear him down and poke holes in his game. And the player is sitting right there. It's not like he's not there. He's sitting right there as the team representatives are tearing him down. So Trek scuball heard the Tigers basically poke holes in his game. How do you think that made Trek Scuble feel. I'm sure he's well aware of what it's going to be like. I am a one hundred percent confident Scott Boris prepared him for what was to come. But what this tells me is two things. Number One, Trek Scuble is not going to be a Tiger in twenty twenty seven. He's a free agent at the end of twenty twenty six. What this also tells me, because Scott Boris wanted to set a precedent, he wanted to get the highest arbitration win in the history of baseball arbitration to set the tone that he is going to get Trek Skuble the largest contract in Major League based history, at least for a pitcher. He has all the intentions in the world to top Garritt Cole, to top Yamamotos contract with the Dodgers. Trust me, That's what these two things tell me about the outcome today. What it doesn't tell me is that the Tigers are going to trade Trek Scuble. Now, in case you missed it, they signed from Ber Valdez to a three year contract one hundred million dollars. So going into twenty six, the Tigers are in a very winnable division. They almost won it last year if not for their collapse, but they did make the postseason. What this tells me is the Tigers are not trading Trek Scuoble before opening Day. What this tells me is Trerek Scouble is not going to be a Tiger after this season. And what this tells me as well is that Scott Boris is going to set a new record setting contract with Trek Scouble this upcoming off season. For those of you and your friends at work and on your group text that are telling you all this means the Tigers are trading him. They signed Valdez, they lost the arbitration hearing, they poke holes, they tore him down. They are trading Schoolble before opening Day. No, they're not, No, they're not. They are not trading him. I spoke to somebody in Schooble's camp that laid out perfectly why the Tigers would be ridiculous to trade Schooble. They would be waving the white flag on their fan base, and b the team that trades for school ball, let's say, before opening day, has to unload the farm, and that puts them at a disadvantage when Schoobol goes to free agency, because that gives Scott Boris even more leverage over that team, so they are not trading Schooble before opening day. You can make I am very confident in saying that what it tells me is everything that I just laid out. And oh, by the way, it's not an exact situation, but a very similar situation. Corbyn Burns back in twenty twenty three, going into the twenty three season, who oh, by the way, is also represented by Scott Borris, lost his arbitration case to the Brewers that year over just seven hundred and forty thousand dollars. That was the difference, and the Brewers did go through with the arbitration hearing, tore down Corbyn Burns in that arbitration hearing and eventually traded him. But Burns made two million dollars that year, was making ten point seven five million dollars right there. It's not parallel, but it's similar, right, It's close, and Corbyn burn it's got a big contract from the Diamondbacks last off season that nobody believed he would get. Now, now, the Brewers did trade Burns eventually, but not before opening Day. And I'm not saying Schooble won't be traded before the trade deadline if the Tigers are out of it. I'm not saying that, but I'm saying he is not going to be traded before opening Day. And I know there was a lot of uh, you know, rumors on social media that it was so close. All that needs to be checked is with the Tigers owner. Let's check that box.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I guess not. I guess that report wasn't accurate. So that's where it stands. With Trek's Schooble. I would love to see him in a Dodger uniform. Who wouldn't love to see Trek Scuoble in their home team's uniform and the medicine. Dodgers have the prospects and the wherewithal to pull off a trade for schoobl if the Tigers were to trade him. If Scooble were to be traded, it would be the Mets or Dodgers. They have the prospects to be able to give the Tigers major league ready talent and pitching, but I just don't see it happening before opening day. And if the Tigers are in it in a very weak al Central, that's why they're not going to trade them. And going into the season, They're going to try to win this with pitching because their offense is not that great. They got Scooball, they got from ber Valdez, who's one of the best big game pitchers. They got Jack Flaherty, and they got Kenley Jansen closing games. So that's their formula. And I don't see them trading Schooble. But obviously, if I was the Tigers front office, I just keep my distance in spring training. Let aj Hinch handle Schooble. If there's any message to be sent, let aj Hinch handle it. I think that would be wise after going through in our tration case with Trek Scooble. All right, that's the situation on schoolbl When we continue on Dodger Talk, we're going to catch up with Max Munsey. He hit a huge home run in Game seven to set up the heroics for Miguel Rojas and Will Smith. And speaking of Miguel Rojas, if he did not hear enough of Miguel Rojas. I remember Miguel Rojas when he first showed up in spring training back in twenty twelve. We're going to catch up with a guy that certainly is far removed from being an unknown. He is forever going to be remembered in Dodger history for his improbable Game seven, game tying home run in Toronto. More Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We are getting super close to the beginning of spring training. Pitchers and Catchers report a week from tomorrow at Camelback Ranch. Already some of the guys have showed up the first one show. Hey Otani, who's out there at camel Back Ranch already working? And I was on speaking of Otani. I'll get to the other pertinent dates here. But Pitchers and Catchers report a week from tomorrow. I was on Access Sportsnet Dodgers last night with John hartung and Jerry Harriston Junior and Herttungue threw at us the odds of for the best Dodger pitchers to win the Cy Young and Otani is forty to one on some of these gambling sites to win the cy Young this year in the National League, you know there's a case to be made, and no doubt Yamamoto is the Dodgers ace. But the odds were not that good. If I've got one hundred dollars and Otani is forty to one to win the Cy Young, those are damn good odds for the darling of Major League Baseball. The voters seem to love to vote for this guy, four time MVP, and right fully so. But you're telling me if Otani makes twenty to twenty five starts this year and has an ERA of two and a half at the most, that some voters are not going to vote for Otani because of the two way factor in all this, that's damn good odds. I'm not saying he's going to win the cy Young. But if you're looking at a good odds pitcher to win the cy Young this year, forty to one on Otani is really damn good. So there you go. That's your gambling advice. I just had to bring that up because I was shocked when Hardtung presented that to us last night. And look, yes, Snell two times say Young Award winner Yamamoto World Series MVP is probably going to make the most starts of any Dodger starter this year, but forty to one odds on show, Hey Otani, come on, give me that all day to win the cy Young So there you go. Oh, by the way, here it is the dates for spring training. I'm going to be flying out there next Friday. The pitchers and catchers report. We will have Dodger Talk from Arizona while I'm out there. And the first spring training game is not even at Camelback Ranch this year. It's February twenty first. The Dodgers open up in Tempe, Arizona against the Angels, and you will hear it live right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. That's actually a Saturday. And I love the atmosphere at Tempe Diabolo Stadium when the Dodgers are there. It's a great setting. So hopefully you can get there and see the Dodgers start the Cactus League out there. And as far as opening Day goes quicker than you think, it's March twenty sixth at Dodgers Stadium, Dodgers versus Diamondbacks, and I feel like it's going to be similar to last year. Where the Dodgers celebrated Opening Day raise the Flag, and then game two of the home stand, they are going to give the rings to the players and Clayton Kershaw will be there for sure when that happens, so just keep that in mind as well. It's not just about Opening Day, it's about the opening home stand. And oh, by the way, the first Dodger road trip after they open up against the Diamondbacks and Guardians at Dodger Stadium. The first road trip includes a three game series back in Toronto against the American League champion Toronto Blue Jays, so that should be electric as well. Speaking of Game seven and the World Series and Toronto, I know Miguel Rojas and Will Smith, they were heroes offensively and defensively, but without Max Munsey's home run earlier in that game to make it a one run game, there are no heroes for the Dodgers. So here is Max Munsey. We had a chance to catch up with him at Dotest. All right, we are drawing right now by a man that has been to the World Series four times with the Dodgers. Max Mounsey showed up in twenty eighteen, left his mark and now has become the all time home run King and Dodger postseason history, including one of the biggest home runs in Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: Max Munsey, thank you for joining us. Great to see you. Always good to be here with you.
Speaker 3: Oh three time World Series champion has time for the little people.
Speaker 4: I appreciate Save it, Save it. You've been out here all day with everyone else, all right. I know, Well, you like to make the grand the grand entrance. You know, you're you're the guy at the party. You don't want to show up right on time.
Speaker 3: You want to be twenty minutes late so everybody knows Max Monsey's at the party.
Speaker 2: That's false, that's fake, fake news. Dave.
Speaker 3: I know you just welcomed in your third child to the world. What's the off season been like for the Monzie family coming off back to back World Series championships and having to deal with real life.
Speaker 4: It's been short, it's been hectic, it's been lovely, all the above. You know, a lot of emotions going through and it's just, uh, you know, it's it's been a little challenging trying to get ready for a season and then also you know, trying to be a dat at home newborn, and uh, you know, just trying to help out as much as I can and trying to make sure I'm getting healthy and you know, getting ready for the season, and it's just, uh yeah, it's been, like I said, short, hectic and crazy.
Speaker 3: I told Will Smith I've been his spokesperson all off season because he's been in hibernation, but I also have been a Max Munsey promoter.
Speaker 2: That you're a home run.
Speaker 3: Without it, there is no Miguel Rojas game tying home run and certainly no Will Smith heroics in the eleventh inning when you hit that home run and pulled the Dodgers within a run, did you feel that was as big as it turned out to be.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I've said multiple times like in the moment, for me, I just knew it guaranteed show hey, one more bat, and we were it was only a one run deficit at that point, so I was like, okay, we got it. Chants, But at the same time, it kind of just built a little bit more more more momentum for us, and you know, you started feeling that, and I think the whole team felt it, and you know, I know you keep saying my home run was big, but every single play in that Game seven was big, and you know, we we don't win that World Series without every single guy on the roster. And it's just it's really cool to look back at that and understand that every single person played an important role in winning that World Series. It was a true team effort.
Speaker 3: So many guys could have checked out mentally, like Miguel Rojas, Andy pa Has justin Dean. What does that say about who you guys are and the culture the players have created that they remained engaged.
Speaker 4: It just means a lot, you know, It's it's it's real easy for some of those guys to check out, and they didn't.
Speaker 2: You know, they understood what was at stake.
Speaker 4: It wasn't about them, it was about the team, and you know, and that's that's how we've always been. And it really showed right there, you know, it really showed in that World Series that the guys were all about each other. They were willing to do anything for each other, and it's just special.
Speaker 2: Made it's so special.
Speaker 4: Obviously winning the World Series special as it is, but you know, being able to do it the way we did it just felt it felt truly amazing.
Speaker 2: You've been really in tune with this city.
Speaker 3: The city loves you since you showed up and brist onto the scene in twenty eighteen. What's the reaction you've gotten from fans that you've come across or just.
Speaker 2: Through your wife.
Speaker 3: Do you realize how much this one meant to the city.
Speaker 4: You know, the thing you hear the most is not congratulations, it's thank you. You know you hear that from the fans all the time. It's thank you, thank you for bringing a championship back to the city, thank you for bringing the Dodgers back to us, and you know it. It just makes it so special. And I talked about this when we got that first parade in twenty four that you know, when you're driving through the streets and you see everyone holding up pictures of grandparents or parents that aren't there anymore, just like these are who made me Dodger people in that's when you start realizing that it's not just a team, it's a community, it's a family, it's an organization, you know, and the whole city is built in on it, and it just it's truly been a blessing to be all play for the Dog as long as I have, and it's definitely not something that I ever take for granted.
Speaker 3: Is it surreal for Max Mounsey to look around the clubhouse after winning back to back championships with these group of teammates and look back on the same group or the group of players that you played with in twenty twenty, and you know, leading up to that championship, how the faces have changed, but the feeling and the winning commitment to winning hasn't.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, the faces haven't changed that much. There's been a lot of us that have been been around for a long time, and you know, it's just that's what makes it great. We've just had so many players here, a core group of guys, and you know, unfortunately this year is gonna be without Kersh, but you know we're all Jim be happy for him. But you know, he's the guy that's kind of started this whole culture for us. And I know he says it started before him, but you know, for me, he was always the guy that led it. And you know, he never led it with his words. He led it with how he competed and how he prepared and how he acted. And you know that's he just set the example that all a lot of us have tried to follow and you know it's gonna be hard to do it without him, but you know, I think we're up for the challenge.
Speaker 3: Feels good at number thirteen and Max Monthsey are going to be back for the three p Thank you for stopping by, and maybe we could just set the ground rules right now spring training.
Speaker 2: Should I ease.
Speaker 3: Into approaching you or do you feel like I should just dive in and hover around your locker day one?
Speaker 4: You know how Dave might I might give you time and day I might not give you time and day. You know, when it comes to you, you just you just kind of float, you know, Okay, you just kind of float around. And so maybe maybe I'll talk to you, maybe I won't, might throw a comment your way.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: I do have a lot of feel. That's the one thing people say about me. I have great feel. No one's ever said that about you.
Speaker 2: All right, Monsey, thank you for stopping by. I love you. There he goes Max Monsey.
Speaker 3: I think people think he hates me, but it's a love hate relationship. Now it's all love, Dave, It's all love. Great to catch up with Max Mounsey. So many of you have come up to me during the off season and ask me, what's the deal with you? And Muncie, Does.
Speaker 2: He really not like you? No, it's a.
Speaker 3: Great thing that we have going here. It's a sarcastic, kind of dry sense of monthsy humor that he throws at me. And I'm so grateful because Munsey has been very inclusive and always gives insightful, thoughtful answers and is a lot more honest with his answers than most players. And I love that about him, and I think that's why those of us that cover the Dodgers go to Max Mounsey when we have questions, because he is going to give you an honest answer, and if he doesn't feel like he should answer that certain question, he's not going to give you some generic answer. He's just going to pass on answering that question. So love having Max Munsey on the show. Can't wait to see him out there in spring training. And in case you missed any of our interviews from FanFest, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app Dodger Talk. Pre set it number one and you can find all those interviews, including the one that's coming up next. Well, it's not there yet because nobody has heard it. Miguel Rojas is going to join us next right here on five to seventy LA Sports the end of October with multiple champagne showers from Max Munsey, who hit a huge solo home run in Game seven of last year's World Series. And Monsey, like we mentioned, is the all time home run leader in Dodger franchise history in the postseason Monthsey has hit thirteen postseason home runs going back to twenty eighteen. What's that a product of? Yes, of course he's had a lot of opportunities being in the World Series and being in the World Series and riding through October four different times, and also an extra round of playoffs. But nonetheless, he's still got to hit those home runs. And he has thirteen postseason home runs in his Dodger career major league career, and that is the most in Dodger playoff history. Speaking of Dodger history, Miguel Rojas will forever live in Dodger and baseball history for his improbable home run with the Dodgers down to their final two outs in Game seven of last year's World Series. Rojas hasn't been embracing the celebration ever, since the Dodgers clinched the World Series in Toronto, the celebration continued at Dodger Fest on Saturday. Here is the Great Miguel. Here is World Series hero Miguel Rojas. It's hard for me to get time with you, Miguel. Everybody wants a piece of you.
Speaker 5: It's being overwhelming, but in a good way.
Speaker 6: You know, when you prepare for moments like that, and you what your your entire career and your entire life to get to get to the highest point that you're saying, you never think about realizing that moment twenty years after you start your professional career. But that's what happened to me in Game seven. But obviously there's no Game seven without Game six. And that's why I'm so proud the way that I play Game six, because I got in there because of my defense. I got in there because of my energy and the things that I can bring to the thing other than the hitting a home run. And it's crazy to believe that now everybody's going to remember me for hitting a home run in the game.
Speaker 5: Sevens all wards ears for me not being a home run hitting my whole career.
Speaker 6: But I mean things happen for a reason, and I'm not gonna walk away from it happened to me because I prepare and I got ready for the opportunity. And I'm glad the Dodgers got the chance to win the Wards Eries again.
Speaker 3: Everywhere you go around Los Angeles, kids of all ages are wearing Dodger jerseys the championship hats. How does it feel to be a role model for all these kids by example to never give up on yourself and never not be ready for the opportunity whenever it comes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's really cool to uh, to be able through the experience that you get in life and in this sport, you can teach a lesson to a lot of people, not just the kids, but the partners as well. You know, not everybody is going to be shown and not everybody's going to be a Hall of fame like Freddie Freeman and Mookie Bets.
Speaker 5: But teams are are our build.
Speaker 6: To kind of have a lot of different characters.
Speaker 5: On that team.
Speaker 6: And I feel like if you're willing to work every single day and sacrifice a lot of things, uh to do what you want to do, UH, You're going to have good results. So I feel like a lot of people can actually look theirselves in the mirror and say, I got an opportunity to be a Miguel ROAs in whatever I do, come in uh when the people needs me, and when the opportunity is given to me, and and don't make sure you're ready, and make sure you are you're taking everything into consideration to be ready for that chance.
Speaker 3: All your teammates have always told me, nobody has hands like Miguel Ohas. But in game six when you took the short hot from Kiy k Hernandez, that looked more difficult than it appeared, and you made it look And then the play that you made with the infield in to be able game of inches to throw a strike to Will Smith, what was the more challenging play to be able to pull off?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely Game seven play because it is a do or that plays a backsack and said, well, you know you're playing in field in right there wishing for something that they hit right at you, and he wasn't definitely was hitting a right at me.
Speaker 5: Was a couple of steps to my right. You know I have to go there.
Speaker 6: I have to get on my knees, glove the ball, get back on my feet and make a good throw to home play.
Speaker 5: I think if I don't make that play, it.
Speaker 6: Doesn't matter what what else you know, like, what else you can do to help the team until that point, it's all. It's all kind of like battling through all the indies that we have to play during that series. There's no Joshi, no Yamamoto MVP. I mean a lot of people will remember him and still for what he did. But I mean, if I don't make the play, he's getting over and and we're not celebrating, and we're not back to.
Speaker 3: Back champions If you don't make those plays, if you don't hit that home run, the Dodgers would be going home all right, back to back champions now, Miguel, how do you guys stay hungry for that three.
Speaker 6: P Yeah, for for this moments like this, seeing the fans, the excitement around this building like always, you know, uh, these people know how to pack this place every single night for six three.
Speaker 5: Months, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then when you have.
Speaker 6: The key of the chain on top, makeing move to make your team better and compete again for for another championship and not being okay.
Speaker 5: Just because we won the last two Uh.
Speaker 6: I think that's that give you the motivation to go to the sprint training, to fight for the spot and to fight for for something that is bigger than Jose yourself. Is a is for the whole city, for the whole community, and for the organization. We deserve the opportunity to go back together to the sprint training, plus a couple of guys that wants to be here and wants to.
Speaker 5: Be part of this.
Speaker 6: Uh, and I think we're gonna have a chance to have a real chat to threepeat something that not everybody can say that got the.
Speaker 3: Opportunity to the run it back for that three peat. Miguel Rojas is such a big part of this Dodger team, not only last year, but the last three years. All Right, Miguel, I had to explain some backstory. Miguel Rojas is our guest. Because I was asked about Team Venezuela and you not being able to get the insurance to play in this year's World Baseball Classic. I was asked this past week and I had to give some context. I'm not sure all these reporters that were asking you about that remember the fact that you sacrificed not playing for Team Venezuela and the World Baseball Classic because of your responsibility to be able to stay with the Dodgers, because of just how your body was feeling and the opportunity. Does that make it even more frustrating that you have this opportunity and for some reason they won't allow you to play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the hole situation is frustrating to me.
Speaker 6: And going back to twenty twenty three, I was in a totally different position.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I was kind of on the prime of my career, and even though I got to the Dodgers, I wasn't supposed to be the every day short stub until something happened to Gavin Locks and they decided to kind of like gave me the opportunity to play every day. And I feel like playing every day in the big leagues requires a really little a little stream preparation when it comes to at bats in spring training and getting ready for that. At that moment, my opportunity to represent Venezuela wasn't gonna be to play every day as sure.
Speaker 5: My at bats and my.
Speaker 6: Opportunity were going to be limited if I go to the WBC. And that's why I make the decision that I needed to get at bats because I was coming out of the surgery from my wrist and I needed to get the bats. I needed to get my timing down for a full season, and I ended up playing one hundred and fifty close games for the.
Speaker 5: Dollars that year and we went to a playoff.
Speaker 6: We won one hundred games, and I think I made the right decision at the moment.
Speaker 5: Definitely was a really tough one because you always.
Speaker 6: Want to represent your country and that's gonna be kind of like in the top of the priorities for the player.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the.
Speaker 6: Day, I thought I got another opportunity in twenty twenty six to represent my country, and it's a it's such a bomber that I'm not gonna be able to do it just because I'm I'm thirty seven years old and you're thirty seven. I guess, I guess thirty seven years old and I'm still playing for the best team.
Speaker 2: And you never went to AL you never went.
Speaker 6: On the IL, and that's we need a little bit more of clarification on the on the teams that are going on, you know. But I'm really sad, not just because of me, but I'm saying the news.
Speaker 5: Of other players like the hotel too.
Speaker 6: For our country, a guy that has always been there, always being representing our country is being one of our best representative no matter what, if it's a WBC, the Big Leagues and the World Series and MBPS and all that. I think everybody who wants to represent the country should have the opportunity to do it, especially if you know you're healthy and you can contribute to w the whole thing without a doubt, without a doubt, the World Baseball Classic has a lot of holes to.
Speaker 3: Be able to be taken as seriously as they want to be taken. So I'm gonna be happy to see you in spring training because your energy, your leadership, you need that and there's not gonna be Key k Hernandez at the beginning. So you know, you guys, You guys made things go for a lot of guys last year. So the Dodgers need you. This is not just a victory lap, right, Miguel Rojas means business.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, We're gonna show up to the sprint training this year with the same attitude, in the same hunger. You know, definitely we're gonna enjoy that. Sprint training is gonna be a regular one this year. We're gonna We're gonna be there for six weeks and we wanna work on everything that we need to work on to be ready for sprint for opening Day. Definitely, you mentioned a name that is really really valuable for us. Kick Ernandez is part of this and hopefully he can be part of a group that wants to compete for three times in a row World City Champions and I know he will be a great addition to this team and everybody in this club out one Kick to be back. So first he needs to take it of business and and get back to one hundred percent healthy. I know his arm and his work kid is going to take him there.
Speaker 5: But I'm really I'm really hopeful.
Speaker 3: That Kick is going to be back with us, no doubt. Miguel Rojas world serious hero. Thank you brother, a champion to the people Los Angeles loved him but now forever his new home will always be Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the time, and of course you know you always have a place in our hearts. Even before that home run.
Speaker 5: Of course, come on, it's been a twelve year relationship, yes right.
Speaker 6: Here, ever since twenty fourteen, Oh yeah, I know him.
Speaker 3: When I did give Rojas a hug, not as awkward as Tim Conway Junior. And it was a little bit more organic. It wasn't as scripted as it was here at the iHeart Studios with Petros and Money and Conway. This was an organic setting. Roejaus came over on his own. And if you hear my interview with Freddie Freeman, which is coming up in just a moment, you'll hear Rojas chime in that I took the day off when he was in studio here at the iHeart headquarters. I just I wanted to give him his space. That's all. Speaking of Freddie Freeman. Love Freddie Freeman. He is a future Hall of Famer, and he is one of the smartest baseball players out there, one of the best hitters in baseball history, certainly of his generation. And here was Freddie Freeman at Dodger Fest.
Speaker 7: I'm not going to comment on you.
Speaker 2: That's good to be back.
Speaker 3: Yes, Does this feel for you like the real kickoff that spring training is around the corner?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this definitely is when. I don't think I've been back since the parade, so yeah, so it's nice to come back. See the fans again. I mean we see them every day. Believe me, they come up and to say how appreciative they are of the last couple of years. So yeah, I would say FanFest is the official kickoff and then what we got one more week until all the baseball team says now it's our turn or whatever. The super Bowl they always give that same little quote out. But I would say fan Fest for all the teams, it's the real kickoff.
Speaker 2: To get ready.
Speaker 3: When you're around the streets of La Yeah, and people come up to you, can you feel the effect that you've had on their lives, their families?
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, definitely. I mean especially here like Miguel and I did the luncheon about about forty five minutes ago, and so many people have you know, they had someone had a widow maker and that was made it through the widow maker the heart attack and was able to come through and then we brought and brought her joy watching us play on the TV. Like, there's so many stories that we get told here at FanFest that really makes you feel what these fans and what we mean to them and what they mean to us. I mean, we were trying to tell them it's not lost on us when we come in July eighteenth and on Tuesday and there's fifty four thousand people here, and we understand how awesome the fans are. And so when you get to hear the little stories of what Dodger Baseball means to them, it's not just we're just not a team to them. This is their livelihood. It's we're family to them. And it really is special to be able to hear all the stories from fans that we've been able to create memories for them in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I know you mean so much to the fan base in Atlanta and Brais fans, but what you've done with the Dodgers feels like you've cemented your legacy with this franchise as well. That doesn't happen to too many players where you can say you had an indelible mark on two.
Speaker 7: Franchises, and you know, obviously these last you know, year or two. If people are talking about most people won't even remember my first twelve I said, I always respond with I'm like that just means I'm doing my job really well. And I adored my twelve years with the Brads. We won a championship, there. But these last four years, being able to be playing in front of my family day in and day out, night after night, see my dad in front.
Speaker 2: Rows giving him a hug after your walk off, It's.
Speaker 7: Been special really. Yeah. But to be able to like, for you to even think that after four years, that just makes me. I was like, I've done my job the best of I possibly can, and we created some really cool things that are gonna last in people's minds forever. And for you to say that kind of stuff and people to think that kind of stuff, that just means I've done my job.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I would say, I would say so. And you've been out there every day. We all know how much you pride yourself, Yeah on starting as many of the one hundred and sixty two as possible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have they started to talk to you about what they've been saying.
Speaker 7: Are you already know what I'm gonna say? Yeah, I'm I'm going to be trying to play one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: So we should tell Dalton Rushing but that first space glove away.
Speaker 7: All I can say to that is I will be prepared to play one hundred and six or two games. I will I think, you know, I will be ready to go. And then if they come in and tell me that they want me to have a day off, then audible fight and in that moment. But my job, in my mindset, how I get ready to play every single game. And That's what I'm going to do. And so that just means I gotta get three hits every game. So that can't take me out a lot of talk and Andrew, I'm not coming out.
Speaker 2: That's right. I'm counting the doubles and they hit.
Speaker 7: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that. Hey, last year, people have a quick memory.
Speaker 6: We forget you took the day off yesterday and I went through your I went through your place that you're taking a day off.
Speaker 2: I wanted I was gonna go there. I wanted to give you some space. Thank you. Hey, that guy right.
Speaker 7: There, we've been. We've done a lot of things together today. Yeah, he's special.
Speaker 2: But you talk about the game rewarding you, it.
Speaker 7: Really does honor you. That game has honored him. We just got what he means to us. There's so many traditions that he's arted. Winning series. We get together to caselfie as a group after those series wins, we toasted each other. We talk about how the player of the game in the series, he created that. I think there's no bigger honor for us inside that clubhouse and the roy Campanella War, and he's won it back to back of years. It's voted on by the people in that clubhouse. He comes in every day. The game honors you because he didn't play at all in the NLC. Yes, he didn't play the first few games of the World Series. And then he gets his opportunity. It becomes a Dodger hero. I meaneah, he really is a hero. And I think you guys heard it on backstage Dodgers when I said, oh my god, I still think about it all the time.
Speaker 2: It is the great Dodger time.
Speaker 7: This year is the greatest home run. It's so amazing. And yeah, and he gets to play one more, he gets to re sign, gets to end his career with the Dodgers, and then he's I know he's gonna wants to coach with us, so he'll be here forever, we hope.
Speaker 3: Freddy Freeman as well. You haven't don the worm anytime. Recently, Andrew Freeman said he wants to put a stop to that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I'm going to be done with that.
Speaker 2: I hadn't done it, and that was impressive, Freddy.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that I hadn't done the worm.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I didn't think you had it in you.
Speaker 7: It had been a long time, probably fourteen fifteen years, and that I used to be able to, like right now we're in the bullpen. I used to be able to do it the whole length of this bull whoa. As you saw on that video, I hit it like four times on the ground and then how to get back up. That was kind of hurt a.
Speaker 2: Little bit too much. Well, just the way you delivered it, thank you, the way it's not just the worm, it's the way you delivered the worst.
Speaker 7: Shape that And uh, I was just minding my business on the outside, watching everybody else have fun at Mookie's house, and I was just enjoying it. And then you know, when Keik starts hyping you up, it'd be the not fun guy and not do something. So I was like, you know what, I'll bring this out. Yeah, I'm glad I was able to nail it in a lot of people's eyes. You're like, you know, it's good. When my wife told me goes. A lot of people thought that was Ai.
Speaker 2: That's a comple that.
Speaker 7: I did that pretty well. I just not used to the big man getting down on the ground. Yeah yeah, twice even but Gavin forced me. You know you didn't feel it was his wedding. Yeah, you know, I felt like I was getting pushed to do something. I didn't like that.
Speaker 3: But like a circus class, amuse us at our wedding exactly.
Speaker 7: But like you just said, it was his wedding. Yeah, like, oh fine, I'll do it for you.
Speaker 3: And can you can you tell us what the key is to executing a good.
Speaker 7: I really don't know. Like everyone goes, how did you learn? I said, I don't. I've just been you were doing okay, I was just there yesterday. Most people will see me on the field, sitting in the same seat in the dugout. Serious, but I have fun when I play. Most people don't know I I can dance a little bit and move around. So you got a little glimpse of it on the work.
Speaker 2: All right, I love it.
Speaker 7: I'm done. I'll be done with it though unless we win again. I'll bring it three P, three P. I'll bring it series win.
Speaker 2: Amen, Amen, I'll try to nail it. I'll try to make it do with me. Yeah, I'm going to learn how to do the worm.
Speaker 7: Okay, but.
Speaker 2: I like that we got him six to seven out of rookie today.
Speaker 5: Oh jeez.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what you guys are doing here on fan Fast and I was I'm one of the few people that congratulate anybody that doesn't want to play in the.
Speaker 2: World Baseball Classic. Oh so congratulations.
Speaker 3: Oh by the way, before I let you go, Speaking of Canada, okay, talk about two viral things that blew up surrounding Freddie Freeman. Beside your walk off home run in Game three, the worm, of course, and then that commercial you did with the kids the children's hospital, Yeah, Ryan, Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's first of kids in Toronto. And Ryan reached out and wanted to, you know, we we do something together to help raise funds. And when he reached out, I was like, Okay, that sounds pretty fun and obviously hospitals and kids it means a lot to me, obviously with what we've gone through as a family, So to help raise money for a hospital in Toronto, I jumped at it with him and it came out really good. I'm usually not wanting to act or do anything like that, but I had I had fun. Those kids were awesome.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 7: It turned out really really well, and I had fun doing it. Got to meet some really cool kids from the hospital that did it with me, and they got to hear their stories and what they went through. And uh, those kids are doing really well right now. So hopefully we raise a lot of money for that hospital and we can we can make sure some more kids can get out of the hospital.
Speaker 3: It resonated with everybody, the comedic timing and just what it means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you did your job.
Speaker 7: Appreciate that. Thank you, and I hope the kids in Toronto the hospital got a lot of money out of it, and hopefully we can find some cures and get those kids home where they deserve to be.
Speaker 2: Freddie, I could talk to you the rest of the day, you know, I would.
Speaker 7: I know, we got to.
Speaker 2: I admire everything you stand.
Speaker 7: For two weeks from now, we'll see each other every day, every day.
Speaker 3: I won't bring any iPads. My guy, Freddie Freeman Glass now is yawning. I mean like he's writing a three point stance ready to tackle me.
Speaker 7: I'm at the TV when I was doing TV Wow, and I got sidetrack for how beautiful he was.
Speaker 2: I know, can we take a photo on live radio? And glassnow could come over. We could just pass the mic, the hot mic. All right here, my guy.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman. Always a great time with Freddie Freeman. You never know when you might see me or Freddie Freeman at Javier's. You never know. It could be in Pasadena, it could be in Orange County. Javier's a staple for Freddie Freeman and now David Vassa, so you never know, you never know when you may see me. That Javier's in Pasadena unbelievable. I would say that Hobbers in Pasadena is the leader for me as far as how many times I visited a particular restaurant, it was either Javier's in Pasadena, Boulevard in Sherman Oaks, or Monty's in Woodland Hills. I would say that was the three staples of David Vasse this off season. And I still have time to hit up shellbacks in Manhattan Beach one more time, one more time for spring training. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. I'm on my way to Crypto going to try to catch the Lakers and six Ers second half. Got free tickets, gotta go. My guy Hector hooked it up. Thank you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to Ronnie Foscio, and thanks again for listening. We'll be back with you next week for another off season Dodger Talk week as we head to Arizona. Thanks again. Fox Sports Radio is next. See you