Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: Face a spring training Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're here, we runner.
Speaker 1: Back, hosted by Dodger saint signer David Bassi. Threepeat in the Mexican in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Basset.
Speaker 2: We are live night two at Camelback Ranching, Glendale, Arizona. Thank you for joining us for another great Dodger Talk show we have planned for you. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, Max Monsey will join us after signing a two year extension. We'll hear from Muncie, who is now the longest active tenured Dodger on this squad after so many guys have departed that have meant a lot to this team for you know, whether it's signing elsewhere or retiring like Kershaw. I know keyk Hernandez is back, but remember he had a little interruption going to the Red Sox and then coming back to the Dodgers. So it's Max Muncy who is the longest active tenured player on this team, and keyk Hernandez is the only Dodger player on this team that has played in all of the World Series that Dave Roberts has managed twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty twenty and of course the back to back World Series championship. So Max Munsey will join us at the bottom of the hour, and yes, I will have to ask him why I was so top of mind when the social media team was asking him about who could not do pushups. It's who's on the team Moncy. But I appreciate him keeping my career alive as far as sights and sounds here at camel Back Ranch. And by the way, we do have phone lines open. We are taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy. You will hear from Andrew Friedman throughout the show tonight. Andrew Friedman spoke to us after the workouts were over with, and there were a few different topics that we talked to him about, including who are the next wave of young outfielders to be part of this Dodger ball club. Also, Andrew Freeman responded to the praise heaped on him and the Dodgers by Bryce Harper and Manny Machado and also a rival GM. So you'll hear from Andrew Freeman about that. In our next segment. You'll hear from Andrew Freeman about the top outfield prospects towards the bottom of the hour, and in just a moment, you'll hear what Andrew Freeman had to say about Otani and Yamamoto and what the plan is for them as they go to the World Baseball Classic. But Taoscar Hernandez and Mookie Betts are in camp first official full squad workout. Both those guys have a lot to prove and a bounce back type year. Mookie Bets had his worst offensive season in the big leagues last year. Tai Oscar Hernandez had a rough ride in right field and it affected his health and his offense. Taascar Hernandez, I've been telling you all off season, is my pick to come back and silence all the critics. The people that were calling in about Tioscar Hernandez all season long are going to be calling in and doing what you did when I stood behind Max Munsey. Because there's a resume, and now everybody loves Max Muncy. Everybody realizes what Max Munsey means to the Dodger order. Taoscar Hernandez two years ago had a great season for the Dodgers, playing left field, hit thirty three home runs, drove in ninety nine runs. He is, in his own words, the best shape of his career. He has reshaped his body to be more agile and to be able to be a better outfielder. Here's what ta Oscar Hernandez told me earlier today about the motivation to put in the work weeks after winning the World Series in Toronto.
Speaker 3: It just the fact that I was missing. I miss twenty something games. I think it was because of the injury. I don't want to these games. I don't like to mix these games. I like to be on the field and for me to stay healthy this year, it's one of my goals, and just trying to be there for the team and trying to get to the playoff first and then chase another championship. Yeah, yeah, you know, I think for every position player, getting a Gold Glove is one of the goal for any player in my career, I have the silver Slugger. I got some of some of that, I got a dreams. Now you know, I got some really good seasons and the big leagues, and I wanted to get especially now that you know it's it's hard to say of two or three years more for me in my career.
Speaker 4: I wanted to go.
Speaker 3: Home having one of those gold glove. Been working really hard for it, and let's see what happens this year.
Speaker 2: Love it, Love the smile of ta Oscar Hernandez, Love his spirit. He means a lot to this Dodger team, and look him coming into camp in great shape sends a message to not only the rest of the league, but more importantly his teammates that he is ready to come back for a fresh twenty twenty six and have the work ethic to help this team three peat. So ta Oscar Hernandez is feeling good. He is motivated and certainly wants to prove a lot of people wrong. And when you hear him say when I go home in two or three year as well, he is thirty three years old, so three years from now he's thirty six. Not too many forty year old position players, let alone outfielders playing in Major League Baseball these days, another thirty three year old. He's thirty two right now, but we'll turn thirty three during the season that had his worst offensive season and what many believe is going to be a Hall of Fame career. Mookie Betts certainly knows how to get ready for the season, a more normal type of spring training, knowing that he is going to be the everyday shortstop, having a full year under his belt. But the reality is Mooky had the lowest batting average of his career, the lowest on base percentage of his career, the lowest slugging percentage of his career, which means the lowest ops of his career. When the Dodgers extended Mookie Bets after trading for him, many people believe that the contract was not going to age well. But it doesn't sound like Mooki Bets is ready to concede any of that when we spoke to him earlier today.
Speaker 5: Haven't gotten any game actions, so we'll see if we'll see if anything worked.
Speaker 4: But really just kind of getting.
Speaker 5: Back to the basics, I mean, just doing understanding what I do best and trying to hone in on that like, I haven't had a regular spring.
Speaker 2: Of four years, three or four years.
Speaker 5: Maybe since I've been a Todger, so this will be maybe the first one.
Speaker 4: And so I don't really know how.
Speaker 2: It's going to work out.
Speaker 5: I just know that being thirty three now I don't have to hurry up and get here and be ready to play from day one, so I can just kind of embrace that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you think about it. When Mooki Bets got here in twenty twenty, all of a sudden, the pandemic hit in the middle of spring training, and then in twenty twenty one we were still kind of coming out of it. And when you look back two years ago, he wasn't expecting to be the Dodgers shortstop, but it was evident Gavin Lux couldn't handle that position. So as the Dodgers were getting to getting ready to board the plane to South Korea, they asked him to be the everyday shortstop. And for the first time in three years, the Dodgers are going to have Opening Day in North America and specifically in Los Angeles, rather than being in South Korea or Tokyo, Japan. So Mooki Bets had a rough start to last year, because remember he flew to Tokyo, got really sick, lost somewhere between fifteen and twenty pounds, and it felt like he was playing catch up the rest of the year and never could find his swing. And being this my fifteenth year covering the Dodgers, I've learned from former Dodgers how every year is unique, and that's what makes the great ones really special when they can do it year after year, guys like Freddie Freeman and Mookie Bets. But every year is unique. That was last year. The circumstances were completely different than what they are this year for Mookie Bets. So let's see if he can prove that last year was just an off year, because I feel like this is going to be somewhat of a tell season. Is this the beginning of Mookie Bets kind of plateauing and being in the twilight of his career, being entering his age thirty three season, or is this going to be the season that Mookie Betts says, Hey, pump the brakes, I'm not going anywhere. I've got a lot left in the tank, and don't try to tell me I'm on the down side of my career. Six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Are you a believer in Mookie Bets? It feels like Dodger fans want to believe, they want to go all in with Mookie Bets, but for whatever reason, sometimes you're not buying all in. And I feel like Mookie Bets is about winning every parade that the Dodgers have had since he's been here, And basically the Dodgers all they've done since Mookie Bets has gotten here is when championships. He's won three World Series since twenty twenty. But I really do believe ta Oscar Hernandez and Mooki Bets are going to have big bounce back years. I might be an optimist, I might be a romantic. I may want to believe in these two guys, but resume means a lot to me, just like resume means a lot to me. Meant a lot to me when I was standing firm when so many of you were jumping off the Max Monthsy bandwagon, and then you saw what life was like without Munci, with Mooki Bets having a down year and Tioscar Hernandez looking like the Taioscar Hernandez from three years ago in Seattle, but I feel like this year is going to resemble twenty twenty four for both Mooki Bets and Tioscar Hernandez eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also kind of looming around Dodger camp is the World Baseball Classic because two of the Dodgers' best players, Shohei Otani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto, are headed to play for Team Japan, and that is huge national pride. It means a lot to the country that these two guys are going to be playing. Luckily, Otan has conceded that he will only hit, but Yamamoto has been termed as Japan's ace by their manager, and Yamamoto and Otani came into camp ready not only for the three peat season, but also to try to win the World Baseball Classic again for Team Japan. Today, Otani and Yamamoto both faced hitters for the second time this spring. Yamamoto pitched two innings and earlier today, Dave Roberts said that he expects Yamamoto to make a start before he leaves for the World Baseball Classic, which means he may be on track to pitch on Saturday, considering that he just pitched two innings today. Otani is not going to pitch in a Cactus League game, but Andrew Friedman said he is hoping to get Otani into a Freeway Series game when he returns from the World Baseball Classic as a pitcher. Speaking of Andrew Freeman, I told you we would hear from Friedman on a number of different topics. I asked him whether or not he has had a conversation with either one or both of his Japanese superstars to be mindful that it's not just about Team Japan, it's about the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Not really, because I know them and I know that once you know the first pitch and Samurai Japan against Taiwan, I just know the level of intensity that they will have, and so it's more just making sure the work up to this point that we're putting them in the best positions to go take on that kind of intense atmosphere. And then obviously the build up with Yoshinobu and where he's at pitch count wise, what we're able to get him to here will help inform a little bit of you know, what that workload looks like. But so it's more about just the work going in. It is impossible to tell those guys to dial it back in any way, and nor would I do that. We've talked to Samurai Japan, We've talked to Show.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 6: I think everyone.
Speaker 2: Understands understands that he's not going to no matter what the circumstances are, which is a huge relief if you're a Dodger fan, and for Yamamoto, you just hope that whatever preparation and the strength that he's put on in his legs during the off season to be ready for not only the long haul and pitching into October again for a third straight year, but also understand that, yes, the Dodgers respect his dedication to his country, but also know your body and if you're not feeling like you can go deep into a game, maybe don't go deep into a game. That's that's all you can hope for at this point. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back. More from Andrew Freeman. He'll respond to what Bryce Harper and Minnie Machado and Jerry Depoto had to say. And also we will get to your phone calls at eight six six nine, eight seven two. We have two lines open right now. I'm live at camel Back Ranch, boots on the ground. Whatever you're wondering about your back to back champions, I may I actually do have the answer, So call in eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We are live from camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona today the first full squad workout for your back to back World Series champion Dodgers. Dodger Talk tonight with you until eight o'clock. Coming up in ten minutes, you'll hear our conversation with Max Munsey, who signed a two year extension with the Dodgers and many are saying left some money on the table to return to the Dodgers. So you'll hear from Max Munsey and what he had to say about that and the attention that is getting, and also him calling me out wanting push ups. By the way, the push up things started back when Andre Ethier and Justin Turner and ken Lee Jansen were here. They were the Ogs that included me in so many different ways. I mean, Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Turner would have me play catch to warm them up before drills back in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, and they called me into the weight room around that time period eighth year and Justin Turner to do push ups in front of the rest of the team. And I think Monthsy heard about that. It could have been again in twenty eighteen when months he was here. But that's where it comes from the og Dodgers that certainly would include me in a lot of different, different weird ways to boost morale during a long spring training. So we'll get to all that with Max Munsey in ten minutes. I want to remind you that our first broadcast, the first Dodger game of this Cactus League, is this Saturday against the Angels at Tempe Arizona. Our coverage begins at twelve thirty, first pitch at one ten. And also on to remind you that our only other show this week is Tomorrow night and we are going to have a lot of interviews, So if you want to get your phone calls in, if you have some opinions about whether or not the world Baseball Classic should put Otani and Yamamoto at risk and other players and pitchers. I mean, Patrick Sandoval off Team Mexico was never the same, but look Yamamoto team Japan. It's a whole different story. There's a lot of pride that goes into pitching for Team Japan, whether it's the Olympics or the World Baseball Classic. I completely respect Yamamoto wanting to pitch for Team Japan, but I just hope that he has his own guardrails and doesn't compromise not only the short term but the long term for the Dodgers and trying to repeat because he was such a big part of it and will be this season. So that's my only hesitation with all this.
Speaker 8: But I.
Speaker 2: Have no issues with the World Baseball Classic. I just don't believe that there should be more emphasis on the World Baseball Classic by a player, no matter how much national pride they have, than their major league team who is paying them. And there are big fan bases here in Major League Baseball that care about it. So that's that's the quandary, right, That's the catch twenty two of the World Baseball Classic. But I have no issues. I have come to peace with Yamamoto pitching in the World Baseball Classic. I just want him to have his own guardrails. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Edwin Diaz is going to be pitching for Puerto Rico. Will Smith is going to split catching duties with Cal Rawley for Team USA, and of course Clayton Kershaw will be making his way back to Arizona here shortly to train with Team ussay his last dance to be part of the World Baseball Classic. Now, last night we had shared with you what Bryce Harper and Minny Machado had to say over the weekend when it came to the Dodgers and what they have built again and built upon this offseason. Well, it hasn't stopped with players. Even rival gms are showering Andrew Friedman and the Dodgers with a lot of praise, including Jerry Depoto, the GM of the Seattle Mariners, was on our sister station KJR and was asked about the Dodgers and whether or not they are good or bad for baseball.
Speaker 8: What is your response to the statement the Dodgers are ruining baseball. I just think they're awesome. You know, and where they're deep, they have stars everywhere. They've done it. Generally speaking, they're good at scouting, they're good at player development, they're good at roster building. You know, I I I get it. You know, it's a Their payroll is considerably higher than than just about anybody else in the league. And you know, and and very much higher than the teams that are outside the top three or four. I say that, and it's it's hard to be to take shots at what they've built. And you know, and and the people I think they're smart. They've done a good job. They take advantage of the resources they have and the market they work in, and and and they do what they do. You know, I say that. There's always been teams like the Dodgers. You know, in our baseball lives, there's been dominant teams. Sometimes they're big market teams, sometimes they're they're not, but they don't always win the World Series. And you know, it's a it's part of being consistent over time and showing up and just banging down the door. We feel like we have the ability with the roster we have to go toe to toe with anybody, regardless of the size of their payroll or how many stars they sign.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's a great attitude from a guy that you know, I have not agreed with a lot. In fact, that might be the first time I have ever agreed with Jerry Depoto. And I'm sure you weren't expecting to hear that from the Seattle Mariners GM, but they were this close to playing the Dodgers in the World Series, and they certainly are a contender in the American League again, So that was refreshing to hear from Jerry Depoto, a guy that I have not agreed on ninety nine point nine percent of the things that he has done he has said, but that one I certainly agree with. And it was refreshing to hear from a guy that is in a competitive spot, as Andrew Friedman, not afraid to say, hey, what he's doing, what they're doing is impressive. And I had a chance to ask Andrew Friedman whether or not he had heard what Bryce Harper and Manny Machado had to say as far as the praise of the Dodgers and them doubling down by signing the best outfielder and the best closer this offseason. Here's what Andrew Freeman's response was to Manny Machado and Bryce Harper's compliments.
Speaker 6: Most importantly, where our own guys don't want to leave, but where players from other teams are looking longingly like, oh, I want to be on the Dodgers. That's our goal because we feel like if we're able to retain our really talented players, if we're able to get really talented players from other teams, that obviously will help in our ultimate quest to win World Series. So that's not just winning, it's also how players are treated, how families are treated, and so I think it's all encompassing for it to be a destination spot. So hearing those guys say those things to me is a real compliment to all of the people who pour themselves into it here of trying to create a destination spot in La.
Speaker 2: I think Andrew Freeman heard the same thing I heard. It sounded like Bryce Harper was opining that he wishes he was a Dodger. I don't think there's a spot for Bryce Harper. He's a first baseman.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have Freddie Freeman, but he was very close to taking the Kyle Tucker type short term contract and a higher salary, but chose to go with the Phillies and a long term deal. I like that word that he used, longing for the Dodgers. Yeah, there are a lot of guys I wish they were part of this, but Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz had the option and they signed it. Edwin Diaz leaving the Mets and Kyle Tucker turning down a ten year contract from the Blue Jays to sign a shorter term deal with the back to back World Series champion Dodgers. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Phone lines are starting to fill up. Let's go out to Lakewood Art. You're on Dodger Talk Live from camel Back Ranch. How you doing Art?
Speaker 10: Hey, I'm doing great.
Speaker 9: They've always a great show.
Speaker 11: And uh, you know, I'm just I'm just so happy that the season is uh float again. And I wanted to comment on, uh, you know, whether or not they should start uh oh Tani and uh I'm a moto there. I mean I guess I would and kind.
Speaker 4: Of like, you know, start them wearing me out here?
Speaker 2: Dave in the w wh do you want to start that? Oh? Yeah, yeah, I'm I'm all good with Otani hitting. I'm all good with Otani hitting, but uh, I just hope that Yamamoto is honest with himself and his manager if he's feeling fatigue or doesn't feel like he can push through any sort of early season.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say arm soreness, but you know, this is still the early part of the season, so he's got to be careful with that. Thank you for the phone call, Art appreciate it. Let's go out to Londale or Hey, you're on Dodger Talk Live from glenn Dale, Arizona. How you doing, Jorge?
Speaker 10: All right day, We just got back back to Lawnmill.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 10: But last night the good singing you down at the camel Back Ranch last weekend, it's uh, I can confirm it is the wildest I've seen pictures and catchers ever at camel Back Ranch. It's it's really amazing, just the turnout.
Speaker 12: You know, my wife and I have been I've been going to I've been going to pictures and catchers in twenty twenty and our daughters, who you might hear in the background, this is her third spring training.
Speaker 10: And so she uh.
Speaker 9: She got she's only two years old, but she's our lucky charm because Lars love kids. And now with her third spring training she's she's actually developing relationships as a two year old with you know, very personalities. She's Kirston, She's met Bruzar, She's met Landon Nak.
Speaker 12: It's fun for the whole family, really going back, going to the backfields and really just we're all really excited for spring train to start up.
Speaker 10: And you know, it's it's good.
Speaker 2: Vibes right now, man, It certainly is. How could it be bad vibes when you're back to back champions and you added Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz and you got River Ryan and Gavin Stone coming back. So yes, certainly great vibes here at Dodger camp. Glad you made it out here, and yes, confirming what I thought that this is the biggest crowds I have seen this early in camp. And I'm sure this weekend many of you are going to leave rainy southern California and head out to Arizona for the first two spring training games. The Dodgers in Tempe on Saturday and on Sunday the Dodgers will be in Peoria. We had to take on the San Diego Padres, who last night during our show, news broke that they signed Walker Bueller to a minor league deal. And Walker Buehler arrived to Padres camp today and you'll hear what Walker Bueller had to say. Wearing man that Padre uniform. That was that was hard for me to see. Even though I have known for the last couple of weeks the Padres were the leading candidate to sign Walker Bueller, it still was bizarre to see him wearing that uniform. So you'll hear from Walker Bueller. But first around the corner, our conversation with Max Munsey, who is back with the Dodgers and is looking to close out his career with a three peat with the Dodgers and maybe more. Max Munsey is next on Dodger Talk live from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, right here on your home for the back to back World Series champion Dodgers AM five seventy LA Sport. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And I'm here with a man that continues to keep my name alive on social media. A man that finds a way to keep my name alive when it comes to Champagne celebrations. Even Elizabeth Olsen has taken notes that is the one and only Max Munsey who is back. Has signed back with the Dodgers to be part of the vass A Magic for two more years. Thanks a lot for joining us, Monsei, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you just said, but sure we'll.
Speaker 2: Go with that, Monsey. I offered to do at least five push ups to prove to you that your claim yesterday that went viral, I mean got more attention than Miguel Rojas saying Blake Snail's the weakest guy on the team. I am here to prove it to you, Monsie, if you'd like.
Speaker 12: See.
Speaker 7: The thing is, we've done this challenge before and you faltered after one and a half push ups, so I know where you stand on this.
Speaker 2: There were a lot more people watching. You dragged me into the wait room, and there were professional athletes demanding that I danced like a monkey in there, and I felt the pressure. I couldn't get all the way down.
Speaker 7: Exactly like I said. I've seen you do it before, so I know where you're standing is.
Speaker 2: Here's another thing. Even your wife mentioned this the other day. Yeah, do you think I need to do five push ups right now? Miguel Rojas Lake snail is out there. You can actually go against him. I think I'm putting my money on you. I feel like I'm in better shape. I'm in better shape coming into camp than snail Zilla.
Speaker 4: That's a bold statement. I won't say anything about that.
Speaker 2: A lot of hot mics around here. I guess, hey, nobody knows how to take a joke.
Speaker 4: That's a bold claim. That is a bold claim.
Speaker 2: David, Oh, Max, what's it like to be sitting next to a guy that you both had such big moments in the postseason? Miguel Rojas obviously locker mats with you last year tied the game up your home run. How much more are we allowed to reflect on last year?
Speaker 4: You know, we can give it a couple more days.
Speaker 7: But now that we're getting going for this year, the focuses on this year. You know, today in our meeting, we had a nice video that showed kind of the highlights of last year, and it's really cool to watch. It gets you gives you chills, you know, just you kind of replay the whole year in your mind while what's going on, and you just you think back and go, man, that was a pretty special year. But now that we're here for this year, you kind of have to flush that. You can't be focused on last year. It'd be focused on this year and what's ahead of us. And you know, you've heard me say it a million times. Our focus is on each each and every day. How are we getting better for that day and how are we focusing on that day? And you know, me and Miggie, we've we've been here for a while and that's one of the things we try to harp on with the infielders is we got to get better every single day. What we're doing, How are we communicating, how we feeling ground balls, how are we throwing? Are we doing all that with intent? Are we doing that with you know, the focus of getting better? And if we're not, we got to call a couple people out. And you know, and sometimes that includes us. Sometimes we need to be called out. We've if we've had a bad day, you know, MEIGGI will come up and be like, hey, what's going on on? You know, it didn't look like you were focused out there, and you know, you just have honest conversations with each other, and that's you know, one of the things it's so special with this clubhouse is that everyone's open to I would necessarily call.
Speaker 4: It criticism, but we'll just use that word to make it easy.
Speaker 7: You know, everyone's open to that, and they don't take it the wrong way because they know it's coming from a place of love and that it's coming from a place that we want to be good and for everyone to be as good as possible, we have to hold each other accountable.
Speaker 2: With that being said, Dave Roberts mentioned to us that Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz, two of the newest guys in this clubhouse, stood up and spoke. What was the mood in the clubhouse when two new guys comes into a team that already has a lot of veterans that went back to back championships.
Speaker 4: You know, Doc likes to do that early in spring hit.
Speaker 7: You know, with the new guys, he likes to give him a chance to speak, and you know, it helps everyone in the clubhouse learn who they are. And you know, the message they sent was great. They came here to win. They want to win a ring, and you know, they heard of how great organization is, how great the players are, how great the clubhouse is, you know, how great the front office is in terms of how they treat the players and the families. And they both had very similar messages, and you know it, it's exciting when you hear that. And for a lot of the guys that have you know, been here for several years, you don't forget. But it's always refreshing when you hear, you know, other players talk about what they see from from afar about you know, just the first class organization that we are and that you know, it's special to be here, and.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's just refreshing to hear that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you fall into that category as well. You signed it to year extension. You're going to be here for at least three more seasons, including this one. It seems like a lot's been made out of the numbers that you took. But how do you react to all the attention that you've gotten to re sign with the team for two more years?
Speaker 4: You know, where else would would rather go?
Speaker 7: You know, this is the best organization in baseball, where the best team in baseball? Why would I want to go anywhere else? Because I'm greedy. No, that's not who I am. You know, I know we get we get paid a lot of money to play this game, and obviously that's comforting to know that we make a lot of money. But I never really got into this game for that reason. I got into because I love the baseball. I love to compete, I love to win, and there's no better opportunity to do that than here. And on top of that, this organization and the city really has become my family. And that was one of the key deciding factors for us was my family. You know, my kids were born in LA. They love Lay They love everything about it. They love the Dodgers. They you know, they know the all the landmarks driving to the stadium. They when we get to the stadium, they know exactly where they're going.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 7: Every time they see the color blue, they say that that's Dodger blue.
Speaker 4: And that's Dada blue.
Speaker 7: And you know, I'm not going to rip that away from them because I'm greedy. And like I said, that's just not who I am. So for me, it was such an easy decision that sure, maybe I'm leaving money on the table, there's no way of actually knowing that there's no way of knowing what other organizations might offer you out there. But for me, it's it's more than enough money for me and my family, and you know, they're set, and it's a chance to stay here and win every single year.
Speaker 4: Why would I want to go anywhere else?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you have that perspective, because when the Dodgers called, didn't have a job at that point in time, So you've seen what it's like to be close to being out of the game to being at the pinnacle a three time World Series champion.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a little bit of loyalty there for me.
Speaker 7: You know, they took a chance on me when I was basically retired and I was pretty set on retiring, and they kind of, you know, pulled me out of the dumpster, and you know, they helped me relearn who I was and and become the player I am. And for that, I'm always going to be grateful, And you know, because of that, I want to show a little bit of gratitude towards them and not you know, I'm not trying to burn any bridges there, and it's you know, it's just a it's just a respect between both of us, the front office and me, like we've we've had such a good relationship over the years and it's going to continue. And you know that that was also another factor in deciding that I want to stay here is I've made you know, I've been very open about how i want to end my career here, but just building the legacy that I have here when I'm done playing, you know, whatever I want to do, the Docters are going to let me do. And you know that's something that kind of meant a lot to me also to just know that, you know, if I want to work for the team, if I want to, you know, just have a little side role with the team, or if I want to be a coach, or if I want to, you know, be in the front office, They're going to give me an opportunity to do that because of the relationships.
Speaker 4: That I've built here and that's something that means everything to me.
Speaker 2: Next months. He's been a big part of the fabric with the Dodgers since he burst onto the scene in twenty eighteen and has not rested on his laurels. Yourself and all the guys that were part of the team last year have come into camp ready to go day one. What did you do with your off season training to be able to be ready for this year and as you evolve as you get later in your career.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I just it was a big focus on health for me, you know, trying to just do everything I can to make sure I'm healthy this year.
Speaker 4: You know, I dove a lot.
Speaker 7: Into the issues that I had, and I feel like we figured a lot of them out. I've done some you know, pretty crazy stuff, but you know, I've coming to the camp in great shape. It's the lightest I've been since, you know, twenty eighteen. Really, I feel great. And you know that was part of the reason that you know, we had good, good discussions with the front office was you know, we both understand that if I want to be here, I have to be able to pay third base, and for me to be able to pay third base, I just have to be healthier. And so yeah, that was kind of the key deciding factor. Is just I want to be able to perform. I want to be able to be an All Star again, and I want to help this team win a couple more World Series And that's just the end goal, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Muncie thanks a lot for the time, glad I got off the hook of doing any push ups today. Maybe week two of the spring training. I'll be ready.
Speaker 4: I know you're scared about it. Don't worry.
Speaker 7: I won't put you in front of the camera. I know you're scared about doing push ups. But yeah, for everyone out there, it's just.
Speaker 4: All love between me and David, but I have to give them a little call out every now and then.
Speaker 2: No doubt. You got to keep me humble. Thanks a lot for the time, of course, Max Munsey keeping my career alive. I appreciate that social media shout out, whether it's taking a shot at my lack of push up acumen or not. I'll take it, and I've I hope you have learned to appreciate Max Muncy, who has shown the loyalty. All you you want is loyalty, right, That's all I hear about players need to show more loyalty. Well, there is no more sign of loyalty than forging free agency time and time again and taking less money to sign with the team that you want to stay with and not only finish your career, your playing career, but then want to stay part of this organization. And that just speaks a lot of volumes about who Max Munsey is, his character, and certainly how much he loves being a Dodger and has that loyalty. As you heard him say, he remembers in his own words, the Dodger's basically picking him up out of the baseball dumpster and giving him an opportunity in twenty eighteen, and here he is one of just a handful of players from the twenty twenty season that is still a Dodger. Mookie Betts, Max Munsey, Keith a Hernandez Will Smith and Blake Trinin are three of the guys said stand out. Let's not even get into the pitchers, but position player wise, those are the only three from the twenty twenty season that are still a part of the Dodgers. And if you go back even further twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, guys like Cody Bellinger, Corey Seeger, Justin Turner no longer with the team, Austin Barnes, he's a non roster invite with the Mets. It's incredible just how this I don't want to call it a machine, but just how the organization in the game keeps moving forward, and the Dodgers have been so good of not having one of those huge rebuilds that takes five years, like the Phillies, like the Yankees, like some of these other teams that have championship runs and then all of a sudden fall off a cliff and take five or six years to rebuild. Andrew Friedman has always said he never wants to be in that position, and even talking to him after a Seeger and Bellinger and Turner left, what his message was is to enjoy the players while they're still here, because you don't know where the game of baseball is going to take them. And you look at a guy like Walker Bueller, you thought he was going to spend the majority of his career, He was going to finish the majority of his career with the Dodgers, and here he was, after being a World Series hero in twenty twenty four, deciding to sign a one year contract with the Red Sox that did not go like he thought or the Red Sox thought, finished the year with the Phillies, never got into a playoff game, and yesterday signing a minor league contract with the Padres of all teams, and look, he's got to find a team he wants to pitch in the big leagues. He knows the West Coast. I understand all that, but it was still so bizarre and surreal to see Walker Bueller in that Padres clubhouse and after base being on this side of things, now on the Padres side of things to dethrone the Dodgers. Here was Walker Buehler in his first day at Padres camp on a minor league deal.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, obviously some some familiarity with the division, and uh, you know, living in southern California, something that that my family and are accustomed to, and you know, a good opportunity to be a part of a really talented ball club and you know, looking forward to to seeing what we can make of it.
Speaker 4: How are you kind of view in the spring the competition? Obviously there's there's spots available here. What do you view of the opportunity?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I think largely saying I I've kind of viewed every spring and come in and try and make the team and contribute kind of any any way I can. Obviously, you know, I'm a I'm a starter, and I want to start so here to try and make the make the rotation. How do you view the last couple of years have been these really good stretches and then there's been some you know times that haven't been Yeah. I mean, you know, my elbow and my body's kind of been through some stuff, and uh, you know, kind of took a different approach and moved out here for the off season and got my body in a little bit better spot. And you know, I liked a lot of the stuff that I was kind of working on in Philadelphia and just didn't stop throwing and kind of kept kept working through some of that stuff. And I feel like the delivery is a lot closer to what it was kind of pre pre twenty two.
Speaker 5: So you don't take the end of one season into the next all the time, But do you feel like that that that.
Speaker 4: Could be for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know that's the plan, right.
Speaker 13: I threw the ball well over there, and you know, getting the velocity back as well as the delivery, it's kind of been the big thing. And you know, the second half of last year was was relatively successful compared to the first half, and you know, there's obviously some stuff we want to continue to build on there and get some of the you know, the velocity, the explosiveness, whatever you want to call it back. But yeah, I took this off season just a little bit different, and you know, I feel like it kind of has worked out well.
Speaker 7: It feel a little weird walking in here and putting on brown and yellow.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it feels a little weird. I imagine five years ago it would have been a lot more weird. But uh, you know, this is a crazy game, and this is a great opportunity for me to again be a part of a really talented baseball club, and uh, you know that's what I'm here to do.
Speaker 7: The rivalry obviously so heated between the Padres and Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Do you have any let yourself think about what it might.
Speaker 3: Be like to be on the other side of it.
Speaker 2: Uh no, Yeah.
Speaker 13: We'll make the team first and then try and get back into that.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, Walker Bueller, I mean, when are you this humble? You are making that team. I don't care if you sign a minor league deal or not. You are going to be part of that Padres rotation when opening Day comes around, and it is going to be interesting to see the reception Walker Buehler gets if he makes a start for the Padres at Dodgers Stadium. But look, it's been a weird career. Ever since he had his second Tommy John surgery, he just hasn't been as dominant. And you look at what he was able to do for the Dodgers in twenty twenty four, to do something he had never done or felt comfortable doing, and that's coming out of the bullpen, and he closed out Game five at Yankee Stadium and is forever linked in Dodger history as being one of the heroes of this back to back championship run. Without the first one, like I told Blake Trinin yesterday, without the first one, there is no second one. And Walker Buehler is a two time World Series champion with the Dodgers, and during this stretch of time of dominance for the Dodgers, he certainly is going to be a name in the history books that is going to stand out. That's why it's so tough for so many Dodger fans to digest the fact that he's going to be pitching for the Padres this year. And when he talked about his offseason, it was spent here in Arizona, working at Alex Bregman's training facility, a lot of baseball players trained there now, including Trek Scuoble, Cody Bellinger. Walker Bueller put in a lot of work at Nemesis Baseball in Arizona. And you know, I've exchanged text with Walker and he was being very humble because the game has humbled him. But he's very encouraged by the work he's put in and what he's seeing as far as the shape of his fastball. So we wish Walker Bueller the best, except when he pitches against the Dodgers. And you know, there is a very good chance that the Padres do make the playoffs as a wildcard team, and the Dodgers and Padres could face off in an NLDS situation and instead of Walker Bueller pitching for the Dodgers, you got playoff Walker Bueller pitching for the Padres. So that that's way down the road, but I certainly could see that happening. And here's another Walker Bueller Padres connection. Many of you may not know this, but in the short time Many Machado was a Dodger, him and Walker Bueller really connected and they kept in touch and have a tight relationship. So Many Machado being on the Padres is going to help the transition for Walker Buehller to feel more comfortable. But you know, when we get closer to that, it's going to be interesting to see who knows even Walker Buller pitching against the Dodgers in the in spring trending. That's gonna be weird too. And thanks again to ninety seven point three the Fan for bringing us all of that audio from Walker Bueller's first day in Padre camp. It's still hard for me to say that, but the Dodgers are the back to back World Series champions looking for the three peat. The Padres only finished three games behind the Dodgers last year in the NLST, and it just feels like so many of these teams that the Dodgers have taken on and beat, seems like the franchises go sideways, and it looks like the Phillies are off the rails now with everything that's being said in that camp. The Rockies were never the same after Walker Bueller and the Dodgers beat them in Game one, sixty three and twenty eighteen. The Padres, you know, have not been the same since the Dodgers beat them in the NLDS in twenty twenty four. So we'll see which way the Blue Jays go this year, and the Dodgers will see the blue Jays on their first road trip of the season. Now, I mentioned some of the Dodgers that have moved on for one reason or another. How about Justin Turner, who made it clear at his golf tournament in October or November that he did still want to play in Major League Baseball this year. But no team has signed Justin Turner, which is hard to believe. I know he's forty years old, but I know the game is trending younger, and I know, oh basically, if Justin Turner did end up on an opening day roster this year, he would be the oldest position player in Major League Baseball. There's not too many forty year old position players. Pitchers that are forty seem to get a lot more rope than position players. But there's got to be a team out there that can use the veteran leadership of Justin Turner. And look, if it doesn't work out this year, if it ends after this year, I am very hopeful that the Dodgers would sign Justin Turner to a one day contract so he could retire as a Dodger. But I know he still wants to play and he has a lot to offer this game. But sometimes the game doesn't love you back, and he wouldn't be the first player that has felt that. But he has a home with the Dodgers. He will forever be a Dodger, and we'll see where it goes with Justin Turner. But I know the fan base loves him, the Dodger organization loves him, and certainly his teammates, whether it's with the Dodgers or any other team that he's been with have really loved being around him and have appreciated Justin Turner. So a team could use him, they would be There's got to be a team with a lot of young players that he use Justin Turner. Even the Marlins, Come on, Marlins, you need a guy like that, all right. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks for Max Munci joining us, Thanks for Andrew Friedman giving us the time, And in case you missed any of that, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to Ronnie Fossa for all his help, and again, the only lights on here at camel Back Ranch besides the ones on the broadcast booth are in the clubhouse storage area. That's where clubhouse manager Alex Torres still has the lights on. Maybe I'll go get a belt from him or something. You never know. I'm losing so much weight out here, I might need a new belt. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. Fox Sports Radio is next. See you,