Speaker 1: This is Bengals pemp Rally presented by just bearn Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Paycore.
Speaker 1: Paycore is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health, Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, and welcome to the Bengals pep Rallies Show presented by Bear Chicken Live on ESPN fifteen thirty on the Bengals Radio Network. I think by now everyone has caught their breath, reloaded and calibrated, the fibrillators are back in the positions, and all good. Dave Lapham a prime time wide out game. It was an amazing display of football by two gentlemen who should by now be getting.
Speaker 4: A call from their agency. We just secured the icy hot deal.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you it was. It was a help. It was a hell of a football games, There's no question about it. I mean, you got two quarterbacks over forty years old, both of them, and they put on a show offensive display. Thirty three thirty one unbelievable. Who would have ever thought that the Bengals and Steelers would score sixty four points? I mean, I know I didn't would I wouldn't have thought that before the season started. That, Yeah, when Pittsburgh comes to Cincinnati, I'm going to put sixty four on the board. Not with that Pittsburgh Steeler defense, I mean the reputation that the Pittsburgh Steelers have to play a high level of defensive football, a great brand of defensive football. To hang, you know, thirty three points on them is an unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Accomplishment, There's no question about it. I think one of the owner alert owner alert only. And if you want to join us, we're broadcasting live from the on the Ryan Eatery one hundred East Court Street on the second floor.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 3: My first time here a couple of weeks ago, and I got to tell you this is fantastic. There is a just a myriad of nice restaurants. They're all good sushi, hamburger, salads, wings, whatever you like. It's here and we got a great show for you.
Speaker 4: We'll be talking to.
Speaker 3: Brooke Pryor from ESPN Pittsburgh in the second hour and trying to confirm Max Starks from Pittsburgh, still a radio the son of former Bengal Across Browner. And then in the third hour, we'll have Bengo defensive lineman TJ.
Speaker 4: Slayton in the building.
Speaker 3: He's gonna hang out with us, which we appreciate. But we got a lot to get into. We got fantastic fun facts, We got an interview. I wanted to share the interview I did with Peter Ganshirt, who's with the NFL calls them wellness clinicians, but dealing with players and mental health, which has become much.
Speaker 4: More of a bigger deal and an open thing.
Speaker 3: People are understanding to talk about mental health in that capacity. Right, we're gonna kick this show off and go to the presser. Zach Taylor met with the media today and we'll share that with you right now.
Speaker 6: So to be tune over the division right in the thick of everything that we've been talking about. With another home game coming up, chance to get healthy this next couple of days. Really really just proud of the guys in the effort and happy to get a win. Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding, Yeah, Joe, I mean it was outstanding. Really, I mean, we're we're I mean we how many drive we scored on what like six of the last seven drives, maybe seven and the last eight seven of eight, okay, so and really early on we had some some drops and some quirky stuff happened that prevented a score there. So I just thought his performance outstanding, very very calm, collected, uh let us in a two minute drive to go win the game with a huge go ball to t get there's guys a chance to go make some plays. And impressed this performance. I thought our offensive line played outstanding. I mean that defensive line has been wreaking havoc the last couple of weeks and all the film we've watched, all these other teams and all the lion gave him a great shot. Our tight ends did an unbelievable job in the run game as well, and everybody stepped out for C. Margs after the catch. So just just collectively on offense it was great. And the defense getting at h.
Speaker 2: So to be too. And over the division right now.
Speaker 7: What stood out to you about Joe's didn't see them all.
Speaker 6: There was very few issues there, you know, in terms of throwing the ball. He was accurate, decisive and all the things I said about the protection held up, the guys doing their job and the routes. So again it was just really efficient performance and and keep building on it.
Speaker 2: What is camp Till with Brittany to do to kind of get himself.
Speaker 6: Back into just be consistent, you know, consistency week to week, day to day. It's the biggest thing.
Speaker 8: For him.
Speaker 6: So of course talented, high energy wants to do right. Just keep working at it.
Speaker 9: You obviously the route margin because of injury whatever else, you found the right room.
Speaker 6: I think as of right now, we'll we'll just keep working through it. But a lot of guys we know we can rely on. That's that's critical. Young guys that are sending veteran guys who we can depend on, and that's that's really good to have.
Speaker 2: Zach. Do you do you feel like it's positive for Trey Hendrickson. Is the long break here before the next game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was pushing to play yesterday, so I can't speak on that today, but I'd have to feel, you know, at least reasonably optimistic given that he was he was pushing to play yesterday.
Speaker 10: Black was talking about how like some of the plays, not the plays, but like simple like you know, thirdly octed your market.
Speaker 2: Look the ball to tea.
Speaker 10: How much do you see kind of the playmakers shine as as flackho kind of taste what's there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's really always what we've hat on. It's, you know, just trying to find ways to get those guys at the ball. I think of Jamar's fifteen catches against Arizona was very similar. You know a lot of those were quick hitters, just trying to get the ball in his hands because you were getting some access there. And so yesterday was definitely a great example of that. I haven't talied them up yet, but there was. There was probably five to seven throws in the run game that we took. And anytime you're getting that, that's not a protection call for the lineman. They're blocking and run, so they get to come off. And usually you're throwing it because it's the best look you can get, so you should be getting a completion, and oftentimes when you're compleating it, you're getting Jamorrow one on one, which sooner or later that thing's going to break for a sixty yard game instead of sometimes a seven or eight yard game. So it's just a really really effective way to live and we'll try to continue to build off that we've always had it.
Speaker 2: We'll continue to build off of it as we go.
Speaker 10: And then maybe the biggest s trinkle of all time here was have beleave three straight dropbacks out of under center.
Speaker 11: Yeah, was that something that Flack alked well.
Speaker 2: Pitch had that recommendation. Pitch had seen some stuff.
Speaker 6: Going back against Pittsburgh previously that he thought would fit well on the plan, And so initially we had like an eight play package and then middled it down to three.
Speaker 2: We added another one. We had four total that we carried. They were good.
Speaker 6: It's it's some of them we had to check out of, you know, and sometimes that's gonna happen. But it was effective for us. The way that they tried to combat some of that stuff. We thought it would be effective for us. And whether we continue to build out or not and may be seen depending on our future opponents.
Speaker 12: Did the tape show you up the Barrett and Demetrios.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's positives and there's thing to continue to learn from. And it's you know, I'm thinking, I don't know how many games Aaron Rodgers has played in, but as I'm watching the tape, it's you know, he's probably in the two thirties to two fifties in terms of amount of games he's played in his life. And I'm looking at two linebackers and Shamar playing in his real third game, second and half game. Almost they're playing games you know, six, five, three, And.
Speaker 2: Some of the things that that Rogers does really stress you.
Speaker 6: He tries to get you in a look and then he'd likes to check the play, and he's in the huddle, he's in tempo, and so it causes a lot of stress. And so there's a lot for these guys to learn from. They're going to continue to ascend and learn as they accumulate reps and they get to game seven and eight and nine. Someday they'll get to two fifty. Hopefully that'd be amazing. Uh, But it's just it's it's we're getting gain a lot from them getting this experience, and they're going to continue to get better every week. And I'm really pleased with the way that they approach everything, and they're just going to keep learning and keep getting better.
Speaker 2: Talk a lot about Mary to Run in the past, and it starts working last night. Yeah, the obvious one would be if you get a passion out to know. But what are some of them, maybe the more nuanced ways he saw.
Speaker 9: The last night impact.
Speaker 6: Well, we were trying to do best to get some variety there. Run the ball in some second tens against them, which they they oftentimes have the upper hand there. So we were trying to take that back little bit. And so they're not always sexy ten yard runs, but sometimes they're four and five yard runs that keep you out of a third and ten and so that to me was as important as Chase is explosive down the you know, the middle to the right sideline and the left one that he you know, toe tapped the sidelines. Those to me were as effective. It was a second ten run that got us to third and five or second and eight run that got us a first down. Those were the ones that to me as a play caller, really allowed us to effectively operate on offense.
Speaker 13: What do you think in the last couple of weeks here has been that has changed in the running? Is there is there something that you see and you notice that that looks different?
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, I mean it's it's I hate saying this, but because you're looking at it in the first couple of weeks and it's like we're just right there and there's just this one element on this play, and then the next place it's this other thing.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 6: Once once that starts to click early in a game and you feel rhythm, the confidence rises, and again as important when you're completing football, sometimes we're just completing balls to second four. Now you can call another run and keep leaning on it. So you've heard me saying here a million times. Just getting a first down allows us to play more freely.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of.
Speaker 6: First downs last night, so you get a chance to let everything work more and keep even if you get a zero yard run or one yard run, you can still come back to it because you've got a good amount of plays in those drives and the offense has a lot of confidence. So it just allowed us to continue to lean into it. And you know, I hate to say it took off. We only ran it, you know, fifteen times or so, but it was effective for us, and it kept us on schedule and allowed us to do all the other things we want to do from an attacking standpoint.
Speaker 10: After getting black or ready to play two games in ten days and I get a chance to breathe kind of what's next in this process of and it's just been a crash force.
Speaker 2: But now maybe you get.
Speaker 14: To do a little more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And again it's it's all coming to him. It's all making a lot of sense to him. What you find in this game. It's not even the complexity of the play call. It's just a word that sounds unfamiliar when you're looking at the call sheet. It made sense and then I'm saying it and it's not registering what word I'm saying. So that was there was a couple of repeats in there yesterday that we were trying to make work and it wasn't It wasn't a complex play call. It's just the phrasing of how it is.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 6: I was just I'm impressed of how he does handle all these long play calls we have, because on third down or got two play calls in red zone. It was a lot too, and he did a great job taking it all in. So now with a full week, a full normal week here coming up with an extra day on Monday as well, I think it'll be it'll be really helpful and it'll really slow down and and uh, we can hone in on on what he continues to do best and keep featuring that.
Speaker 4: I know he was talking.
Speaker 7: About that sometimes when it broke the huddle that are kind of shaking her head because there's I don't know if this is was there.
Speaker 2: Was there any one of those plays, said what's going on? Yeah, yep, yeah, there is one stick out. Uh, well, the zone read number one. I was trying to call time out.
Speaker 6: Because we definitely were not lined up correctly and an integral part of the play was not about to occur. And next thing you know, we got a first time. So I'm just gonna shut up and just keep my keep keep standing over there on sidelines. But uh, that was one that stood out. Uh, there's a couple of quirky formations, and again it's just it's all the phrasing, and it's part of me is I'm so used to talking to two guys that have been here for so long, and so I could say it quickly because they've heard it a million times, and so he's hearing some of these pairings for the first time with us, and it's it's just it's anybody in this room. You can teach it to them, and you need to hear it a couple of times, especially in a moment like that, for Okay, this is what he's trying to say to man. But we worked through it and good and it's to forty year olds just communicating as best we can with each other. And so again it's it, made it work, made it exciting, and and we'll just continue to grow from there.
Speaker 5: As I were patient with him through all of that.
Speaker 4: And you only have so many time.
Speaker 2: Outs you've been burned. Yeah, part for you that when you.
Speaker 9: See it lined up wrong to go hard, let's just see what happens.
Speaker 6: It is it is and and you're you're trying to measure in the moment, what the the is the health critical is the time out? And so again it's one of those. One of those was the fourth and one I called the time out on I wasn't sure we were going to operate the way that we were going to need to operate. And so of course, how it always works out, you're being a time out one second lefter we get the first down and then and then you're.
Speaker 2: Like, go great.
Speaker 6: So it's just that's just part of it, part of working through it. I'm happy to do it. You know when he's playing the way he is. I'm happy to to make any adjustments I need to, And he's saying he's patient with me. I'm feeling I'm being pattern with him. I feel like he's being patient with me too, you know, as I'm sometimes hurried in the in the play call, trying to get it in and he just needs me to relax a little bit. So that's two way street there, all.
Speaker 3: Right, that's uh Zach Taylor and we'll take a break and come back and break that down. There's a lot there, lap and a lop that we want to add to that. But if you have a chance, if you've got time, come on down to join us. We're on the on the rhine of Eatery one hundred East Court Street, right here on Court Street if you know where the Kroger is.
Speaker 4: We're on the top floor.
Speaker 3: They've got restaurants here, seating parking on the backside, and you come in so much here.
Speaker 5: TJ.
Speaker 3: Slayton will be joining us in the final hour, second hour. We got Brooke Pryor and Max Starks. But you're listening to the Bengals pep Rally show, no question about it. We're glad you're here presented by just Bear Chicken. Back with more right here on ESPN fifteen thirty on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show, broadcasting live from on the Ryan Eatery one out of Court Street, right above Kroger, Waynebox, Bill of Dave Lap. I'm glad to have you board presented by Bear Chicken, and I'm telling you what it is a great day in Cincinnati. We're on the Bengals Radio Network. We're on top of things. Uh, we're knocking off the top of the conference. I mean the division last night and and lapped such a big win because you talked about it. You now all of a sudden take them and say, hey, you had this distance, but the gap is closed and they got a tough road ahead.
Speaker 5: They do they do and uh, and to beat them head up in the division game is big. It's it's a it's a massive scenario. They're gonna play them twice. Obviously, they got the Steelers coming up pretty quickly in less than a month's time in Pittsburgh. So that'll be a battle, Royal Man, that'll be a bloodbath. That'll be out for some serious revenge there. But I thought two of the biggest reasons the Bengals won the football game turnovers. They turned Pittsburgh over, and they took care of the football Bengals had none.
Speaker 4: You asked Zach three keys to the game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said turnovers, field position, and give the offense a couple of short fields.
Speaker 5: Yeah. That and and then down we talked about a little bit as well. So, uh, I mean, they they basically everything they wanted to try to do to make sure that that they had to do to win the football game. They they achieved. They got they got done, they accomplished it. I mean, uh, that's that's not easy to do in any NFL game against any NFL opponent, never mind an opponent like the Pittsburgh Steelers, because you know, Mike tomlin Man, I mean, he puts a high high priority on ball security, and Arthur Smith does as well, their offensive coordinator. I mean, they do not give the football away that they're you know, it's it's it's foreign to them, you know, they they're allergic to it. They just they don't let it happen.
Speaker 3: Was that, Well, let me ask you that the first interception of Jordan Battle guy. Yeah, was that merely just uh, Aaron Rodgers and the guys just not knowing each other well enough to understand that Aaron was going to air it out and you need to just kind of, you know, track that ball right and go get it, because it looked like Aaron was just like, oh, I'm going to make it a fifty to fifty ball and just throw it up and you know, credit Jordan Battle for reading what was going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's that's uncharacteristic. Aaron Rodgers, he usually doesn't put the ball even in that kind of jeopardy, you know, fifty to fifty. I mean he likes to He likes to be able to see it and his mind almost see it finish in a completion. You know. Jordan Battle, though, made a great play on that football, there's no question. And that's what you have to do. I mean, you have to raise your level of play. You have to you know, make special plays to win against a football team, you know, like the Pittsburgh Steelers. Their organization historically, it's a winning program. I mean they win a hell of a lot more football games than they lose. So you know, you can't take anything for granted. You have to play every snap to its fullest. You can't self destruct. So that's where turnovers came in again. You know, they to have no take no giveaways. They ended up getting a couple of interceptions off of Aaron Rodgers, but no giveaways against that football team in such an important football game. And like you said box earlier, to start the segment, close the gap, you know, I mean, now they're two and on the division, right Pittsburgh has a loss. You know, right now, the Bengals have the best division record in the AFC North. There's a lot of season to play, but not a bad spot.
Speaker 2: To be on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're a third of the way through, so while we do have a lot left, a third of the way in, so all of a sudden, the third of the way becomes halfway and then halfway, Yeah, halfway becomes two thirds in and then you know, we were talking last year as the Bengals were trying to rally to get in the playoffs, the thing we looked at that was an iesore for them was the division record. Yep, they did not do well in the division on the front end. And so right now to be two and on the division. As you start to get this thing back on track, is a perfect place to be as you get in a rhythm, because after last night, I think it started in the second half of the Green Bay Packer game. What we saw from Joe Flacco and Jamar Chase and T Higgins collectively, Yeah, we saw something and it looked like it was brewing like a.
Speaker 4: Cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: I mean it just started. The coffee just started dripping, right. You knew by the time we get home the pot was going to.
Speaker 5: Before Yeah, it was percolating, man. Yeah, and uh yeah, I think that what you do as a professional. You try to when you finish a football game and an uptick on a high note like they did the week before, you try to carry it over. And they did. They played a very high level on a high high percentage of the snaps against a team that many consider to be a Super Bowl contender. I don't think they're a Super Bowl championship type football team. I'm not even sure they're a super Bowl team. But I do think they're a playoff team. I mean, Mike Tomlins made the playoffs many many years, and a couple of decks gates worth, So he knows what it takes. He knows what the formula is supposed to supposed to be and what it's supposed to look like. So for the Bengals to have that better division record right now than the Pittsburgh Steelers means something.
Speaker 3: It really does, absolutely means something. Have you got time to join us? We're down here on the Ryan one of the Court Street. It is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented about Just Bear Chicken right here on the Bengals Radio Network. Yes, sir, welcome back to this being. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rowley Show, broadcasting live from on the Ryane one out of the East Court Street on the Bengals Radio Network. Wayne Box Miller, Dave Lapping with you coming up later, will be joined by TJ.
Speaker 4: Slayton.
Speaker 3: But don't forget pay Court is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincineti Bengals. And as always, we want to think just Bear Chicken for sponsoring this program, love them and I love being here.
Speaker 4: To who else?
Speaker 3: We love Joe Flacco. Yes, he's come in and brought the veteran leadership to wisdom and the Wowy, the wowly exteen eyesight to pick up this and that.
Speaker 4: I know what you're doing, right, I've seen it all before.
Speaker 3: I've been around for eighteen to twenty. Right, and thank you very much, Duke Toobin.
Speaker 5: I agree, man, uh, Duke Tobin the scouting department. They hit a home run, a grand slam. Really, watching Joe Flacco throw the football, he still it's just a flick of the wrist, man. I mean, he gets so much velocity in so many RPMs on the football with such little physical stress put on the body. I mean, he is a beautiful thrower of the football. It's rare he'll throw. He threw that football at the end seventy yards and really no wind up. I mean he just kind of took it back and let it fly.
Speaker 4: Man. He is.
Speaker 5: He has got a powerful throwing arm. He's got a howartzer hanging off that right shoulder.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I mean, he definitely he can can in the football anywhere on the football field, to any quadrant of the football field. And the big thing that separates him in my mind, most power throwers may kind of scatter the ball around a little bit. He is like pinpoint. He is spot on I mean, he'll hit the right shoulder, he'll hit the left hip, he'll hit the you know, the the left knee, hit the right knee. He puts the ball everywhere and anywhere that needs to be put to make a play down the football field. He has got a special special talent in that that appendage hanging off that shoulder.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to the press conference from yesterday where Joe Flacco talked to the media.
Speaker 15: Man, it's a lot of fun, I'm you know, and I mean, obviously it's a lot of fun towards the end of the game when when you're getting ready to go. But yeah, this is what we do it for, is is games like that. It came down to the wire, just like we we know it's going to and really really happy about how the guys just kind of stayed with it for full sixty minutes. And man, our offensive line was going today. You know, we're running the football, protecting, uh, you know, doing a lot of things that we wanted to do.
Speaker 9: Joe, when they score there, take the lead and even through a lot of the situations two minutes plus, what goes to.
Speaker 15: Your mind, Yeah, listen, you gotta you gotta this is such an emotional game. But like sometimes, especially as a quarterback, you gotta take the emotions and and the want to of like looking ahead at the results. You got to just take that out of play and just go play football. And you know, hey, we.
Speaker 2: Got Jamar on an out route. Oh they're off of them. Just throw it. Just simple, the simple things.
Speaker 15: It just goes back to the basics and not worrying about the result in the moment, just playing the play and getting our guys in position to go win it. It was a lot of fun, but there's like, you know, you're still there's your mind's not necessarily thinking that way for the full sixty minutes, but obviously the last seven seconds, you know, or but even that there's three seconds they got to hal Marry off. You're still you know, you've been through I've been through enough of these too to wait until that clockhead zero to be excited. So but like it it, Listen, I love doing this. I've been doing it such for such a long time. When you're out there with the guys and you're and you're doing what you want to do and you're having success, and you can look at each other's eyes and just like you get that feeling you know, of you know, bonding with somebody else and just it's a lot of fun and it's a lot more fun when that clockheads zero and you've gotten the job done.
Speaker 16: Got here.
Speaker 12: Obviously, you probably knew how good Martie because we're from in Cleveland and being a fan of the game, But there's a game like tonight when you see what mart did and then what Tea was able to do.
Speaker 4: Did that?
Speaker 14: Did that just open your eyes?
Speaker 12: Like these guys are even better than I thought.
Speaker 15: Yeah, last week it opened my eyes just just with the simple things, not not the fact that they went three hundred yards obviously, but you could see it. And then today what I got to see was just how a defense has to treat those guys and if you don't treat them a certain way, they can hurt you. And if you do treat them a certain way, well maybe we have some other guys that can.
Speaker 2: Get the job done.
Speaker 15: So you today, I think I got to see just the problems they create in general. Last week I said it earlier this week. Last week we didn't do anything crazy, but you could see those guys are different and it's pretty cool to be got a throw I mean to you tell me, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 15: Well, we threw the ball forty seven times or probably dropped back a couple more, and I mean I think he ended up. I mean, look, at the end of the first half, we just outrought out right, you know, like it was. I don't think it was anything crazy, pretty simple stuff underneath, getting them one on one until we drew it up and it worked out.
Speaker 2: Did you.
Speaker 8: Like that?
Speaker 15: Yeah, well that really was kind of more of a broken play. We just didn't line upright and it wasn't really a true read option.
Speaker 2: But I did. I did.
Speaker 15: I've done a few of those early, probably my first three years. I did a few of those, like in certain situations. But it's been a while and it kind of just happened. It just happened. So I was like, all right, now, how can I find somewhere to get down and you know, not get taken out by one of these guys a little bit?
Speaker 7: Yeah, kind of like your first question, that's right in your nine or ten days here, when did you realize that you could have this successful of an offensive game like this quickly?
Speaker 15: You're not thinking about it in that sense. I mean I think you're always like wanting to go do that. But I think what being here in this situation has done for me is it allows you to recalibrate and not worry about those things. It allows you to just focus on the basics, and it's a good reminder that that doing that is what leads to success and consistency. So I think the bigger thing going forward is just continuing to remind myself of that.
Speaker 7: Zach said you had some issues with maybe his accent when he was trying to Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Just like some of these words are.
Speaker 15: So new to me, and when you don't get a shit like I honestly felt like this week was probably a little bit harder than last week, just because it's such a short week. You're still putting in a full game plan. You don't get to hear the play as much. So there were certain things like and I could picture everything, but there's certain things with the formations and things like that that you're hearing for the first couple of times, and even though you've read the play a million times, like when you hear it, it just wasn't hitting my brain right. So there was a few of those and we were joking on the sideline like any time that happened, and we broke the play and we broke the huddle, and it was like, I don't know if we're right here.
Speaker 2: I mean that play hit so like we got lucky tonight in that sense. What did you see that they played.
Speaker 4: Going on one?
Speaker 15: The safety didn't really Maybe he was cheating his way a little bit, but not really, And I knew I had a conversion to him, and it was a chance to basically end the game. Uh they I felt like they were kind of playing butt back shoulders. So the one adjustment I made there was maybe just throw it up a little bit more and let him kind of bend into it if he gets by them. And I think he got a good release, so I could I could kind of see that throw happening, you know, as I was doing it.
Speaker 2: So you can't work here for that bulk of the four game losing streak.
Speaker 9: You sense what this win meant the teammates had gone through that.
Speaker 15: Oh for sure, that was an awesome sideline, an awesome locker room after the game. But at the same time, you got to get those guys with a lot of credit, Like it's not easy to lose four straight games and keep your head into it. So the fact that they've been able to do this and get to the point where we got tonight and beat a good football team is also impressive.
Speaker 5: Along those lines.
Speaker 7: Show it's one win, but given the fact that he against that defense in this environment, potential what this team.
Speaker 2: Especially off that, Yeah, you sure hope.
Speaker 15: So I hope you can come in here and play well and and you always want to, like, especially when when you get guys that are good at playing football, you want to go show them like, hey, man, like we're gonna be able to do some good things, and you hope that they feel that way. But now to go out there and have done it for like the last six quarters, I think it's going to give us a lot of confidence and hopefully we can carry that over and use it to our advantage.
Speaker 11: Even though you've only been here for short it's giving you so much trust and big situations that you're more a team.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 15: I think I told you early on when I got here. If you can't throw the guys, if you can't get on the same page with those kind of guys, then you.
Speaker 16: Know what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 15: They're pretty special. So they're you know, you can you can kind of read their body language and they get open, so it's easier to throat to the.
Speaker 12: Time you spent with you last week, as you know, anything that you could share that's maybe really helped simplify things for you so quickly. Or what is your impression of Zach in the way he's worked with you to get you up?
Speaker 15: I think the biggest thing is he's been patient, you know, so even like things like tonight where maybe I wasn't hearing it right and it wasn't calling it completely right for a handful of plays, it wasn't like he was getting bothered by it. He worked with me and he was patient with me, and he allowed me to just go play football. And I think he saw that even though maybe this one little thing was off, that I was able to just forget about it once the ball is that. So I would say just that like patience, and you know, you know, coaches that have done it like he has called really good games and put great game plans together, they want to put all kinds of good stuff in there. And I think he's tried to fight that urge a little bit and then been patient with me.
Speaker 3: You know that lap I was thinking about something you've said year in year out, that was he kind.
Speaker 4: Of lived out last night.
Speaker 3: Make the simple look complex, Make the complex look simple, right, And Joe Flackwell said, Hey, it's football. You know the guy runs her out, You get into the ball, you get to know the guy. And it's like sometime we can get so complex and get too deep into weez that we fit is football.
Speaker 4: And he realizes that I got two guys.
Speaker 5: Out here at a special absolutely and get them the rock and they it'll pay dividends, They'll make plays for you, They'll they'll they'll make you appreciate and be proud of the fact that you get them the football. There's no doubt about it. I think Zach talked about a little bit. You just kind of referenced it a little bit too. Is the game plan had some sophistication and complexity to it, but it was still really simple. It was like keep it simple, stupid, you know, the running game, the passing concepts were not, you know, overly sophisticated. I mean it was it was a game plan that you know, anybody can could really understand and go out and potentially execute a guy like Joe Flacco, who's been around the league as long as he has and has seen as many football snaps and plays execute, and that he's executed himself over the years. I mean, I thought it was brilliant, brilliant game plan put together out of the playbook, you know, pulling things out that they thought would fit Joe Flacco's skill set. I mean, twelve live snaps in practice. I mean, that's unbelievable. Twelve lives. I don't care if you're one hundred year veteran. That's hard to do. It's hard to go out there against a defense that's you know, got football players that can move, are very athletic, can run, can figure things out. I mean that that the odds of getting done of what got done and accomplished last night are unbelievably high. And the Bengals did. They got it done.
Speaker 4: They got it done. Indeed, we'll get it done on the other side. We'll take a break here.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Bengals pep rally So presented by Just Beare Kicking. We'll be right back after the break on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally So.
Speaker 3: Bron Gussie Live right here on the Ryan presented by Just Bear a Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network, Waynebox Miller, Dave Lap I'm glad to have your board, Glad to see people hanging out with us. Appreciate it very much. And if you got time, We're here till six o'clock.
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 3: Slaton scheduled to join us at five and who they Nation is time to recognize as our high school coaches. Nominate your coach for the Bengals Coach of the Week presented by pay Corps. Simply visit bingles dot com slash Coach of the Week and Lapp, I saw something last night and I'm gonna frame this up and get your thoughts on it. When I saw Joe Burrow on the sideline, you know, standing sideline whatever, it took me back to a conversation I heard with Salmon will Cox and Ryan. Ryan leaped and he said, I remember Joe Burrow. They asked me to come and talk to quarterbacks. He thought, hey, why do you want.
Speaker 4: To talk to me?
Speaker 3: I didn't do well and Ryan Leif said there was one guy taking notes the.
Speaker 4: Whole time that I was taught. It was Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: And I said to myself when I saw Joel Burrow out there last night, I said, you're not going to convince me that Joe Burrow was, you know, there for his team, but he recognizes betteran like Joe Flacco.
Speaker 4: I can learn some things by watching this guy. Am I far offer.
Speaker 5: To No, No, I don't think you are at all. I mean I think I think Joe Burrow is, you know, not one of these guys that is so impressed for himself that you know, he thinks he's up at up at one level and really he's not, you know, in his mind, he's like, I'm just another guy.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 5: Now I can play the quarterback position. I can play it pretty well, but I don't look at myself as this football savant that you know is uh is beyond being approached by people and and uh And he's like, you know, you can learn from anybody. There's Joe Flacco has been around the league almost two decades. I can learn something from this guy. I mean, he's been he's been places where he's had to learn a and go to another one unlearned and relearn, go to another one unlearned and relearn. So on and so forth to mean, that's not easy, No, that's uneasy cast and you know tips on how he does it, on how he learns as quickly as he does, because both of these guys are a mensa you know, IQ football IQ people, and you can always learn. The day that you feel like you can't learn anything more, you should get out of the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it should.
Speaker 5: It's over it.
Speaker 3: And I think Joe Flackele still has that. I can still learn things. But I think one of the things that I like, I've always liked about Joe Burrow was his love and respect for the game of football, absolutely and being out there last night and I saw him and in my mind, he's such a like you said, of mencing so far ahead of everybody else. Everybody's caught up in the game last night, and I just felt like he was probably older that just I'm doing them in watching two guys and Rogers and Joe Flackell, because both of these guys can spin a football man, and I mean they could make deep throw look like little five yard passes. They're so beautiful when they're doing it. And I've thought about, like you said, when you you were a aligneman, you know, you come in, the guy teaches you, and you the ropes and the guy comes behind you and you're like, hey, let me show you what you need to do to be successful in this league.
Speaker 4: And that's that's what makes the NFL so special.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's a big fraternity. It's a pass it down, you know type deal. Anything that you can do to help the next generation of football players to make the National Football League better and improve the product for the consumption of the general public, man, you're going to do it, you know. I will say that that Joe Burrow and Joe Flackel are definitely cut from the same cloth. I mean they have they have more similarities than differences in their overall personality, the type of person that they are, the way they commuter, communicate with others.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then from a football standpoint, it's even fewer differences and more similarities. They they're they're cut from the same cloth. There's no question about it. They see the game of football through the same set of eyes. The same things are important for victory, keys to getting things done. That that doesn't differentiate much between these two guys. So, uh, you know, again, I thought two things that that that the Bengals were able to do to support Joe Flacco, and what they do to support Joe Burrow when they win football games is run the football efficiently and don't give the football away. You know, win the turnover battle. Go plus one plus two plus three, and you're gonna be in high cotton.
Speaker 4: No question about it. We'll take a break and come back and wrap up this first hour.
Speaker 3: Are you listening to the Bengals pet rally So broadcasting live and on the Rye presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 5: The Bingles pep.
Speaker 3: Rally So presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network, Broadcasting live from on the Rhine one other Courts three, Downtown Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. Let me give you a couple of restaurants.
Speaker 3: Here are eighteen eighty three Home the World Famous Club Kroger Karaoke Karaoke, Dope Asian Street Food and It's dope. Queen City Burger Company, best Burger's in the city. You had them, Snow Fox, Poke Boat Chicken Fresh Sushie. My wife has that right now. Sit over there eating sushi and Kitchen eighteen eighty three Smoke wings and fresh salad. And I'm waiting on some smoke wings and fresh salad right now.
Speaker 4: But join us. We'll be here till six o'clock. TJ. Slayton joined us in the final hour.
Speaker 3: But again, Dave Lapham, you know one of the other things I liked about last night, and people get tired of you guys talking about it, but it is the culture of the NFL. You have to run the football. It sets up everything else. It buys you. Play action can buy you a split second four linebacker, the respect, the fact you may run, create space on the backside of that level and maybe get some opportunities there that wouldn't be there. Or in this game, a half a second or a split second is everything it is.
Speaker 5: And if you can run the football and then have a play action game, play action passing game off of that exact running play, the players that you're running the football at the opposing defense, and then you put the ball in the back's belly and pull it out of there and run routes, and you're gonna find yourself in a high cott and you're gonna find yourself making making some yards and scoring points. There's no question about it. So it's imperative. Me got to run the football. And then you know, in order to Aaron Rodgers is the master of play action passing as well, and in order to limit that effectiveness, you got to you gotta handle the running game. And I thought the Bengals, for the most part, did a decent job handling the running game of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I mean, the Bengals put thirty three points up on the board, but they had a quarterback through for Amal Street in fifty yards, had a running back go for a buck fifty, the other running back go for ninety. Jamar Chase went for almost a buck fifty. T Higgins goes for ninety. I mean they had weapons everywhere. Why because they ran the football and then they could play action pass off of that. And everybody ate, man and everybody ate heartily, everybody hardly.
Speaker 3: In the first quarter, you look at that rushing yards in the first quarter, forty four for the Steelers, third fourteen for the Bengals. Thus steals up seven to nothing. Yep, second quarter rush yards Bengals eighty three to twenty one, and all of a sudden, now it's a seventeen point game. Seventeen to three. And you look at that and say, what happened? Eighty three yards on the ground means you were really moving the chains and creating opportunities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the Bengals got to give them credit. They fell behind ten to nothing in this football game. First two drives, Pittsburgh had the football. They put ten points in the board, and the Bengals at that point were kind of stammering and stuttering a little bit, and they we weren't getting much done in that first quarter, like the numbers that you were you were just talking about there. But no quit, absolutely no quit. Didn't spit the bit, didn't you know, say, nobody came to the sideline frustrated, you know, disappointed, pointing fingers at teammates. None of that stuff. There's no finger pointing this This football team is made of the right stuff. They've got the right kind of people that are you gonna say, you know what, We're gonna play every snap in the football game. We're not gonna quit in any single one of them, and hopefully we'll have more productive snaps than non productive and.
Speaker 2: We're gonna win.
Speaker 5: We're gonna win a lot of football games. That's what it's all. About no question.
Speaker 3: We got another hour and then the hour with t. J. Slayton will be coming up.
Speaker 4: After that. We're gonna get to the bottle an hour. Take a break.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Bengals pep rally so broadcasting live on the Bengals Radio Network, presented by Just Baar Chicken.
Speaker 1: Bengals PEP probably presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Pay Co Paycor is.
Speaker 1: Proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Bengals pet Rally Show, presented by Just Bear Chicking on the Bengals Radio Network, broadcasting live from on the Ryan eatery one hundred these Core Street, where we've got a wide variety of restaurants for you. Bar eighteen eighty three, Dope, Queen City Burger Company, Snow Fox Poke Bowl, Chicken Kissing eighteen eighty three.
Speaker 4: And they're all good. They are that it's almost like you.
Speaker 3: Would be Joe Flacco, and these would be like Jamar Chase, t Higgins, Chase Brown, Noah, fan, you just have yoc boss, You just have your choice and players to do. And I'll tell you what with that all that happened last night. I know you want more Bengal gear. Get the shop, the Bingals Pro Shop find the best selection of Bengal merchandise anywhere. Visit the Pro Shop seven days a week, located on the north side of pay Corpse Stadium, or shop online at Bingles dot com. And let's go back to the media room because we get to hear from Jamar Chase.
Speaker 8: Then's how cool is it to see Joe Flacco as a bangle and obviously winning for you guys?
Speaker 17: Now, Uh, it's honestly good having him here for us, you know what I'm saying. Organization made a big jump on him. We believed that we got him. So he came in doing this thing and showing off for us.
Speaker 11: What did it be for him to go right back to you play that was really I didn't complete on the sideline then obviously the touchdown right away, just going.
Speaker 17: Right back to well, we already had the next play in already and they said I was, They said it was incomplete, and we was already in the middle of calling another play, and then you know, we just called it again.
Speaker 2: It's obvious to go on too time and time again and clutch situations.
Speaker 5: But tonight twenty three targets at whatever, sixteen catches and team record, did tonight feel different?
Speaker 2: Special? Anyway?
Speaker 17: I didn't even know I had sixteen targets, if I'm being honest, I you know, I thought I had like nine.
Speaker 2: If I'm being honest, and you feel like that many, why, I don't know. I'm not sure.
Speaker 12: Are you surprised at all? Be the way Pittsburgh's played them so many times and we've seen you do this fall. We want to Pittsburgh anything.
Speaker 17: Got a lot of many double on third down for real, try to mix it up a little bit. But now they they they did exactly what we was expecting and hoping they do.
Speaker 2: A lot of times.
Speaker 7: Three point Sharpshooters in basketball talk about when they have like a heater that they're on the zone. Is that What does it feel like when you're catching so many balls like you did today?
Speaker 17: I really can't tell you, bro, I'm just really in the moment It's like in the moment going on and you're a drilling and pumper, you need to tire, you want the ball or you want to get out.
Speaker 5: Two days ago.
Speaker 4: Getting wins.
Speaker 2: We just feel like this is what I was talking about. Man.
Speaker 17: We know were close last week. We we felt like we just figured it out about how we're gonna go about the uh black o and just the offense period. I think today showed what we really capable of and you know, show how prolific at this office really could be.
Speaker 6: After the touch of you have a touchdown move against you who you come right back on?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 2: What was more for your mind at that point when.
Speaker 5: You did you think you have first question?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 17: I I knew I had it, but I didn't think I had it all the way because when I felt it got stuck to my hip. But you know NFL, every camera angle is every camera angle, they got everything.
Speaker 2: So but uh on the touchdown. Yeah, for the next play, it was a little fade ball.
Speaker 17: He was very handsy at the top, try to get his hands off me last minute and that's when the balls in the air.
Speaker 11: The first big game that you and both had this season is this kind of what y'all thought might happen when y'all decided to resign her.
Speaker 2: This this was supposed to happen exactly.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, how how good does it feel to finally have that conter, you know, just seven weeks in, but to finally kind of have that feeling?
Speaker 4: What's that like?
Speaker 17: Especially in the game like this, It feels good knowing this is exactly what we preach about all the time. This is the reason why DB's team go grab DB's and stop us. You know what I'm saying, And this is this is all we breathe, you know, as a receiver, Cord, and today was.
Speaker 15: The day that's you instead of t catching that de bo o inside of the taip.
Speaker 2: How hard would have been a slide down? I would slid. I would have slid hard to do that?
Speaker 17: No, if you want if you I mean, if you want to win, you're gonna slide.
Speaker 2: If you want to win, you're gonna slide. Is that going back to what you just said?
Speaker 4: Is that extra vindication?
Speaker 11: Steelers of retooled that DV room from last year this year brought up some beds and how much how vindicating is that that y'all were able to go out and win and the man y'all did.
Speaker 17: I mean, yeah, that's that's exactly what they were trying to do for us. But at the end of the day, you still gotta stop everybody we got chasing the backfield. We had a great running game today. Old Lion did great in protection. Fla was doing a great jobs just getting the balls out when he had pressure. So, I mean today was just an overall all around offensive Union games. Part of that game it felt good, but it was a little nervous. Nervous at the end, not gonna say nervous, but nerve racking.
Speaker 2: At the end. No one is getting down.
Speaker 17: It's two minutes under and you got a ride that those hell nervers for a living, and you know it's always ended up a touchdown, so it gets a little nervous.
Speaker 7: I think they leave the entire second half, they take the lead, what do you.
Speaker 17: Think, Um, that's what they pays the money for. At the end of the day, we got to make a play and make a play for the team, you know, and they that's that's why they got us.
Speaker 11: After last week y'all lost four straight. Tack said, you felt like yall were closed. There was a hart of positivity. How much is that message kind of resonate over the course of the week, but things have gotten tough over the years that Jack says it, and I mean, does how much does that matter to y'all?
Speaker 4: Y'all get through games through a week?
Speaker 2: I should say yeah.
Speaker 17: I mean, it means a lot just just from coming from him, but it also comes from the players too, not just exact at the end of the day, the players know what it takes.
Speaker 2: We got guys there and there.
Speaker 17: They are vocal that are being leaders. They always speak up when we have situations like this.
Speaker 6: Ow cool was it to see Joe Burrow on the sideline as well? Just a little energy shit.
Speaker 17: I didn't even know he was coming to the game and from being honest, and at the end of the game, I told him, I said, I know you miss it, brother, and we missed. I mean, I know he's out there and want to be out there. But it's good seeing him again.
Speaker 4: Two of them.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't know how big you that. Uh, it's it's good, you know.
Speaker 17: I mean that that means we're taking the right step forward and you know, you know right and we're on the right path.
Speaker 4: Been here for nine days.
Speaker 11: How have you felt such good chemistry with them so far after you were sick last week and then you had a short week this week?
Speaker 2: Uh, I'm I that's a great question.
Speaker 17: I I I don't know, man, Uh were not really throwing a ball to each other I practice either, cause it's like this week was fast walked through reps. Last week was a little off for me. So honestly, it just just coming in being a veteran, just knowing the coverages and knowing what what's his answer?
Speaker 2: I think that's that's his best reason.
Speaker 7: Did you think this kind of offensive success was possible this quickly since you guys got flocked out?
Speaker 17: I I think we knew it last week. We seen the opportunities last week, you.
Speaker 2: Should they didn't pretty much? Uh come to Yeah.
Speaker 17: Man, you know they was gonna put Joey on tea and put jailing on me, and we knew that he was ready for it.
Speaker 2: We was gonna take advantage of those opportunity.
Speaker 7: One of the Chase Brown's long runs, you ran, sprinted down the field and made a big block.
Speaker 2: All star receivers want to do that. Why did you? I got to give effort?
Speaker 17: I told Chase I gotta give him more effort on my run blocks, just because I know some of the times I don't, I don't I don't expect him to cut back to my side, and he does it the majority of the time, so I gotta give him eff more.
Speaker 2: I think this could be read.
Speaker 4: So I get a right through ninth game with one hundred.
Speaker 11: And fifty receiving yards, you passed Jerry Rice for the most in the first five seasons. What's it like to kind of here you kind of in that conversation and pastor Gully Jerry.
Speaker 2: It's cool. I don't even really know what I don't.
Speaker 17: I would never know what that is until y'all tell me at the end of the day, you know. So it's cool opportunity hearing it, man. But I still got a long way to go, and that's to go to get a Super Bowl and then go jacket.
Speaker 11: Cherry's got a ton of records. Is that growing up something that you've thought about? And the kind of the numbers and his career how much?
Speaker 7: No, if I'm being no, Yeah, second game with at least fourteen catches this year?
Speaker 16: Did it?
Speaker 2: And you said he felt like he had only l eight or nine. Did it feel different? Maybe compared to that Jacksonville game you have fourteen. No, not really, you know that.
Speaker 16: I know.
Speaker 17: The only game that I felt like I had a lot of passes the Cardinals game on the Asy game.
Speaker 2: But that game and this game didn't really feel like I had a lot.
Speaker 3: All right, that's de mar Chase and I was just looking at his target forty five over three weeks and rightfully so. If there's a guy that probably would never get tired of running routes and you're throwing the ball to him, is to mar Chase.
Speaker 4: But I will say this, and I have to say this, I.
Speaker 3: Love the humility and the recognition of being the number two guy that T Higgins is. He could power, he could complain, he could say whatever. He understands. His role is just.
Speaker 4: As important, and it's just important in a different way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I mean, those two guys have a very unique relationship. There's no doubt about it. T. Higgins is an important player on this football team. In my mind, Chase and Higgins is the best combination, best one two punch at the receiver position in the entire National Football League. They feed off each other, they have great respect for each other's game. They're glad they're teammates. And the one thing two things about Jamar Chase in that interview, a postgame interview, willingness to block. Superstar receivers are allergic to block. It's a foreign concept. They don't want any part of it. They want to stay as far away from it as they can. Jamar Chase goes out there and sticks his nose right in there, right in the middle of the action. Man, I mean he is. He'll motion from outside the inside and block, you know, in the box where a lot of traffic is a lot of a lot of fierce hitting goes on in there. He wants to be part of it. And the other thing when he slid to take the you know at the end of the football game after a twenty five yard catch, you know, run and catch, catch and run, he slides. Okay, Well, is that that that big a deal? Yeah? And he could have scored Okay, last year Triple Crown winner catches yards touchdown. Yeah, you don't think the guy is interested in scoring touchdowns? Hell yeah, he is. That's one of his primary roles as a great receiver on the football team. But the coaches when they sent the player and it's like if you make the play and catch the football, get on the ground, and uh, we'll win the football game. And when asked, now, why did you go to the ground like that? To win the game? That's the object of the plan, win the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some guys out there, there's stats stataholics, absolutely, and all they want.
Speaker 4: To do is pad those numbers.
Speaker 3: This is how you win the big one when everybody is selfless and team is bigger than individual. We'll take a break, we'll come back with more. You're listening to the Bengals pep rally So broadcasting Live and on the Ryan presented by just Bear Chicking on the Bengals Radio Network. The Bengals pep rally So Broadcasting Live from on the Rhyme presented by just Bear Ticking on the Bengals Radio Network, Wayne Box, Miller, Dave Lapham and DJ Turner.
Speaker 4: To my left here, he just picked off one of my pieces of chick great pig, Mike. That was just like he did. DK Metcalf LT. Now know how DK Metcalf feels after being with Mike.
Speaker 5: He was so good.
Speaker 2: He took wa.
Speaker 3: Hey, don't forget the best care for the best fans gathering the Health official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 5: You'll lap.
Speaker 3: One of the other things I thought last night was so good was I love when guys who aren't playing all out, all in on the sideline into the game. And I'm not saying this in a demeaning way, but cheerleaders, Yeah, I mean they're like, hey, man, I want us to win and beat these Steelers and get back in this game. And the enthusiasm that the guys have on this team. It's been this way since Zach has been here. There's this mutual admiration society that exists on this team.
Speaker 5: I agree with you. I mean it's a brotherhood, man, you know, a big fraternity. And I thought Logan Wilson is a good example of what you're talking about. I mean, Logan Wilson didn't get many snaps in last night's football game, but when he did get in the in the game and Al Golden ran two different schemes. He ran a five to two defense and Logan Wilson wasn't part of the four to three defense. Logan Wilson was a big part of it, and he mixed and matched. You know that those two defensive configurations into what Pittsburgh was doing offensively in terms of four mation's motion play selection, that sort of thing. So Logan Wilson, when he was out of the football game on the sideline, he was the first one to greet any defensive football team coming off the field. You know, he was right at al Golden shoulder listening, you know, maybe who knows, maybe making a comment or two of things that he observed. So, I mean, Logan Wilson, it's been a Bengal for a while, and I'm sure it hurt, you know that his role changed, But he's all in. He's still a Cincinnati Bengal. He wants to win football games. He wants his teammates to do well. He wants the city to finally celebrate a Super Bowl championship, if not that, at least inn AFC championship on his watch while he's playing for the Cincinnati Bengals. So here we go, Here.
Speaker 3: We go, and I have to remind people, you know that this is a super Bowl caliber team, but it is not the Super Bowl team right, only about nine guys remaining from that team. But this team has a talent at every position. And let's stop for a second, and give kudos to that offensive line because whether it was ron blocking or pass blocking, the offensive line last night and they went up against a formidable defense, and that offensive line had held their own all night long.
Speaker 5: And and Joe Flacco one of the first things he did well. The offensive line had a heck of a game. They were they were getting it done. They were operating at a very high level. And in this football game. Kudos to Joe Flacco to give credit to his offensive line in such a meaningful way. You know, in the postgame pressure and I've talked to some of the offensive line, they already loved Joe Flacco. Man Flacco gets it. He understands, you know, things that that offensive line. He dangles to carrot, you know, he he he throws it out there. He throws compliments out there, and you know they they respond. I mean, there's not it's a it's a very unsung thing to do playing the offensive line. You never touched the football, you know, you don't have any stats other than fumble recoveries. Maybe you recover one he first touchdown and have a career touchdowns scored. But I mean that, uh, that is a very thankless position. It can be a lonely position if you make a mistake and uh, you know, you get called out about it. So Joe flacko understands he needs an offensive line in front of him. He ain't no dummy. He's been around the NFL and succeeded at a high level for many reasons, and one of them is he's a hell of a good teammate, loyal to his teammates, and he's got football like you.
Speaker 3: Very approachable, very professional, very classy. I was leaving last night. Obviously we're we're there late, long after the game is over. Sure, he was properly out there with the Prime crew. But I turned a corner and here comes six five Joe flack on five to five Wayne box Miller, and uh, you know, I did what any short now would do, I guess in his way. Uh but but I you know, and I stopped and I said, you know, had introduced myself.
Speaker 4: I do Bengals Radio.
Speaker 3: I said, hey, I'm on the area, you guys, I said, I just wanted to say, man, thank you. This guy stopped dead in his tracks and just held a conversation. Yeah, looks right in the eye, right, you know. Not not I'm talking and leaning because I got to go right. But no, I'm going to stop look you and eye and talk to you. And obviously I respected his time as well. I said maybe two more things and said, hey, man again, just wanted to stay it low and he said, man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you appreciate it. And he did. I mean, he appreciated that coming from your box, you know. And uh, you know, Flack, Oh, he's just talking again with the offensive lineman in the locker room. They say he is just a great person, you know, he just understand he was raised right, he's uh, you know, part of a great family. They're super proud of him. They support him. He's got a beautiful wife and children. You know, he's he's settled in man, you know, and he wants to make Cincinnati his home, you know, during the football he's I'm sure his family will still live where they live on a year round basis. I'm not sure he wants to disrupt their schooling and all that sort of thing. But he's a big plus for any community.
Speaker 4: No question about it. And we talked about it last night.
Speaker 3: And while I'm not Zach Taylor and I can't give his wife a game ball, like I'll give her a chicken wing. I mean, you know, a game chicken wing, because you know what she did.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they say every behind every good man is a good woman. And here's a.
Speaker 3: Guy, you know, coming down to Cincinnati and then the wife say, I'm taking notes to helping out. We're gonna we're going to get this done and get you ready. And there's nothing wrong with a good teammate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, he said that the whole ride down from Cleveland to Cincinnati. She would give a formation, he give the play, She gave the play. He gave the formation. He said. She was his study partner, and so hey, kudos to her. She had a big influence on the success of the football team, and I'm sure she's very happy about it.
Speaker 4: No question about. We'll take a break. We're gonna hear from Brook pryor from ESPN Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: On the other side, you're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show broadcasting live. I'm on the Rhine presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show, broadcasting live from on the Ryan Eatery one hunder Court Street presented by Just Bear Chicken, Don't Forget Friday Night Strikes presented by Ohio Kat celebrating high school football across the region with games, giveaways and who they spirit Catch the Bengals in your community.
Speaker 4: Time to go to the hotline.
Speaker 3: This young lady, I'm telling you she knows football, she knows Pittsburgh Silver Football. Sure she can get it done. Yes, put it down in writing. Pleasure to Welcome to the show, Brook, pryor Brooke, How are you.
Speaker 4: My friend?
Speaker 14: I am great to know that I've had two or three cold birds today. I've lost track a little bit that day after a primetime game. Game just I mean hits you.
Speaker 16: Like a bus.
Speaker 14: It is.
Speaker 16: It is brutal, you know.
Speaker 3: I tell you this was a game that many people thought would be a great game defensively, and it turned into a great game offensively.
Speaker 4: In your opinion, what happened?
Speaker 14: That is the million dollar question. I mean, I think we can all see why Mike Tomlin did not want to face Joe Flacco and why he was so mad at Andrew Berry. I think that what happened is that the Steelers couldn't stop the run, and that's really where it all started to fall apart, where the wheels started to come off, and then they clearly nothing was working on Jamar Chase and T Higgins. I think Joe Flacco did a really good job getting the ball out of his hands quickly. He knew where he wanted to go with the ball, which is incredibly impressive only being with the team for ten days and just having those veteran instincts, being Holm cool, collected all those Joe Cool things. The Steelers defense just didn't have any answer for it. And I think that if you're the Steelers and you're Mike Tomlin, you were very open about building a secondary specifically for the Bengals to be able to match up with T Higgins and Jamar Chase. This is a really bad look. This is a really bad kind of first result because it showed that the scheme is not effective and that your players might be too old, even though you've gone out to get them, they're just not in the right shape. Jalen Ramsey Darius Slay older in their careers, Jalen Ramsey also coming off of a hamstring injury on a short week. They just don't have the same abilities that they did earlier in their careers, so it was really just a failure top to bottom.
Speaker 5: Are you surprised at all that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Tomlin as the head coach and then the defensive coordinator Terrell Austin, did not make adjustments? You know that they were slow in making adjustments to what the Cincinnati Bengals were doing offensively, particularly with you know, a new quarterback and you know you know he's going to go to the top two receivers, but they the Bengals were doing it in different ways, different formations, motion, personnel groupings, that sort of thing. Were you surprised that Pittsburgh had difficulty handling it?
Speaker 14: No, And I'm not surprised because this is what I've seen out of this defense pretty much as long as I've been here, although the last couple of years have been worse. This defense is not great at making in game adjustments, and they're definitely not good at preparation on a short week. Mike Tomlin's now oh to seven on Thursday night games against divisional road opponents. So for whatever reason, this is what trips them up. And the kind of flat footedness of the defense and the inability to adjust, I think is a root of the problem. But that's that's how he coaches, that's how Carol Austin calls it. This has been a recurring theme of the defense not being able to adjust in the second half or throughout the game. So I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: You know, Brooke standing on the defensive side of the ball. I've watched Joey Porter Junior, and I mean me personally, I'm not a coach, I don't have NFL credentials, but it seems like to me, I'm just not impressed with him.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 14: I think that he was really frustrated after the game. He felt like it wasn't called fairly. I don't necessarily agree with that. I tend to agree with Jalen Ramsey that the calls don't matter. It was, you know, up to the DBS to make the plays and be better. I think that Joey has just been kind of a little up and down. He was hurt early in the season. I think he's still trying to come back from that soft tissue injury, but it's made his development not be quite as linear as I expected. I think that he tends to fall into this trap of he hand fights and then he gets penalized, and then he doesn't really correct anything he said. You know, I tried to talk with the officials about what I was doing, but they didn't want to have an educational conversation. That's not great, not a good look to complain about the officials after that, And then he's been a step slow on some of those, on some of that man to man. So I think that it's not that all hope is lost for him by any means. I think that he still has another level that he can get to, but the development hasn't been as consistent as you'd like to see it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think part of that is, as a coach used to tell me, when you talk a lot to draw attention to yourself, and I think.
Speaker 4: He's one of those guys.
Speaker 3: But on other side of the ball, Aaron Rodgers, I mean, he still has a spin on that ball that just he and Flacco both and Dave talked about it earlier. But sometime I wonder, just like the first inn Sepsy threw, was that a matter of him thinking that his guy was just gonna turn that into a fifty to fifty ball or was it just simply, in your mind a bad throw.
Speaker 14: I think it was maybe a little bit of both. I forget what his answer was about it after the game, that he just made a bad decision, but you know, and then the other one was just a great play by the defender to wrestle it away from DK Metcalf, and DK was really frustrated about on himself for that, for letting that happen. But I mean, outside of those two interceptions and really just one interception that was I think a mental error by Aaron Rodgers, I was really impressed with him. I mean, this has now been two weeks in a row or just you know, four or five days in a row, or games separated by that much. Seeing him be able to extend the play, move around in the pocket by time. I mean the touchdown of John new Smith, he had nine point eight seconds until he threw the ball, the longest in a long time that he's held the ball. I feel like he has a better command of this offense. Although it's interesting he has a better command yet I saw him be more frustrated at guys last night than he's been at any point in the year. Is almost like bad aeron was. He had a good aeron and bad aeron on his shoulders and bad aerin one. And he was very demonstrative. Although Broderick Jones may have deserved that for tackling Rogers in celebration. You can't do that to a forty one year old. But you know, I was impressed with him last night. It is it feels like I live in Bizarro world, that the Steelers offense was not the problem and that it's the defense that keeps coming up short.
Speaker 5: This might be almost crazy, and I hate to put you on the spot, but I'm going to put you on the spotcast a little bit and if you feel uncomfortable, we'll just let me know. But Mike Tomlin has been there a long time, twenty whatever years. I don't think he's had a losing season. The guy's remarkable, great coach. I've met him. He went to Miami and Ohio, where my son went to college, and that was a while ago. He's in the Hall of Fame there. I mean, he's an incredible human being, incredible person as well as phenomenal football coach. Do you think it might be time that the Pittsburgh Steelers decide to move on from Mike Tomlin and go in another direction. And if they do decide that, do you think it will be promotion from within or do you think they'll go outside the organization to find the next head coach.
Speaker 14: Well, the thing about the Steelers organization is that, you know, no matter what I think or what anybody thinks about what they should do with Mike Tomlin, the reality is he just started the first year of his newest extension, and the Pittsburgh Deelers they don't pay coaches not to work, and b I don't. I don't think that because of how long he's been there, and you're right, he's never had a losing season. He has built up so much goodwill and credibility and trust that they are not going to be the ones to say, Okay, we need to try something else. If something, if they were to get a new head coach, it would have to be Mike Tomlin going to them and saying, I've done all I can do here, I need to move on. That's what it would take. I don't see him doing that, just like I don't see the Steelers saying, Mike, we're ready to move on. I think that you know, while there are recurring themes here with the defense needing to change the scheme, with the lack of in game adjustments, with some of the talent acquisition, which yes, omark On is a general manager, but Mike Tomlin has a huge, huge stay in roster construction. All of these things are things that deserve scrutiny. But the reality is that the Pittsburgh Steelers don't change because of things like that, which is crazy because we know they haven't won a playoff game in a really long time, but they believe in staying the course and staying loyal and so they're just kind of in this stalemate until something gives right.
Speaker 3: Well, Brooke, we always appreciate you making time for us. You are absolutely fantastic. Follow her on social media. Thank you so much for carving out some time.
Speaker 4: I know you've been in demand, but rightfully so, yeah, man, appreciate you, Broke.
Speaker 14: Thanks for having me. Guys have a good weekend, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: As Brooke prior ESPN Pittsburgh, she does a phenomenal job.
Speaker 4: I really love following reading her work.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break, we'll come back, but more you're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Pep Rallley Show, broadcasting live from on the Rhine one hundred feet Core Street, Wayne Boy Speller Dave Lapham, presented by Just Bear A Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. And don't forget ALTI Fireer, the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of the Bengals and greatest Cincinnati's fastest Internet went up to two gig symmetrical speeds. You know, Dave Lapham, I'm gonna be selfish here for a second. I don't really care if you like it or not, for you knew about it. Ladies and gentlemen, let's give Dave Lapham a well deserved round of applause going in the ring of honor.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: Next Saturday there's a reception, and then Sunday the game against the New York Jets. And I mean, I get a little emotion about this. I don't even hide it, man, I just I just have.
Speaker 4: Gotten to know you.
Speaker 3: I knew you you know then, but I've gotten to really know you because we've worked together so many things. I wish I could tell people about just the kind of person you are, but I think they already know. You're an ambassador for this team, You're an ambassador for the city, You're an ambassador for the NFL. And uh, for you to have this moment and to see it happen, you know, so many times things happened posthumously, right, Uh.
Speaker 4: But to be here, Man, I got to tell you how happy I am for you. Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Man, I appreciate you. You're a good man. And uh, those kind words are mean a ton. Believe me. You're you're everything that you just said. You know, on my behalf. You're You're a diamond in the rough. You're a gym in this community, man, and uh, Cincinnati is very fortunate to have you, uh doing things in the in the media world, in the broadcast world.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 5: The people I'm most excited for are my grandkids. There they're like all they're they're they're over the moon. Man. It's like, but you're going in where now?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's called the Ring of Honor. You know, are gonna be have a jersey up on the on the wall inside the stadium forever yeah, I don't think they're gonna be so it's pretty cool.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 5: They're like ages ten to twelve, and there are two boys, two girls pretty close, real smart and they they are a lot of fun. There's no doubt about it. And that's what it's all about. Families, what it's all about. That's why you know you do what you do no matter what kind of a pression you have.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing about it is, man, we watched from the broadcast booth.
Speaker 4: We watch these ceremonies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it is special.
Speaker 3: You look Anthony Munos and Ken Anderson and Busis and Willie Anderson and Corey Dillon and Ken Riley, and you see it and you see true diehard Bengal fans appreciating what that player represents. I've often said, and I've said it on these shows for a number of years. The reason why I thought it was so important for you to be in the Ring of Honors because you go to games and tell stories of what you see, right, and when you look up and you take your son to the game for the first time, of your granddaughter for the first time, and you look up and say, well, who's that, there's a story there well, who's that up there? There's a story there, and so fifty years of what you've been to this franchise. I just wanted to take a segment out of this show to say, Man, if there was ever anybody that deserved.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you, man, Thanks Box, You're the best. I mean, the thing that I can't get my head around is forty years in the booth and ten years on the field. I thought fifty years, man, I didn't think I'd be doing anything. But you know, football is my love. You know, fell in love with the sport a long time ago and still fortunate enough to be able to do it at the age of seventy three. So I consider myself one of the luckiest people I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we are too, man for having known you and get to hear you. Thank you man, your excitement and everything else. Lady's dumb and Dave Lapham going in the Ring of honor and I'm just just so happy, man. And uh, it's gonna be a special night, man, I I can't wait. Uh, you know, and talking about that night, let's talk about that game, because we don't want to look past the New York guests either.
Speaker 5: They're hurting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they've got they've got another game at home against the Carolina Panthers, I believe.
Speaker 3: And uh man, you talking about somebody being in the hot seat and New York.
Speaker 4: It doesn't take long.
Speaker 3: And Vincy g and Glenn came in heralded and excited and talking about what they were going to do, and and they did it for a quarter, maybe two quarters, maybe three quarters.
Speaker 4: They haven't done it for a whole game.
Speaker 3: So I said, selfishly, I hope they win this week, and I wanted to come in here next week, you know, even more desperate. But you can't celebrate this win so much last night that you forget that you have to raise your level of play next week, because that is a desperate.
Speaker 5: Team, absolutely, And uh you know, desperate sometimes means you know, they're all or nothing. They're coming in to get it done, and that's when upsets occur. Upsets occur when you're heavily favored, you know, and the Bengals will probably be close to a touchdown favorite in the National Football League. That's monstrous. That's a big spread. So the Bengals cannot, you know, rest on their laurels as such, and they shouldn't I mean, they don't have a five hundred record yet. If they win this football game, they will, you know, but you know, who are they to be like we've arrived. No, you haven't arrived. You haven't arrived anywhere yet. But it'll be interesting because you know, New York Jets. It's not like they don't have talent. Every team in the National Football League has football players. It's just a matter of how has it been put together, how's it all working? And right now the Jets just haven't found the right formula.
Speaker 3: No question about it. We'll take a break, we'll come back. We got one more segment in this hour. Then we'll be joined by T. J.
Speaker 4: Slayton.
Speaker 3: It's the Bengals Part Rally Show broadcasting live. I'm on the Ryde one hunderd Court Street presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals Rally Show, broadcasting live from on the Ryde one hundred Court Street, presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Again, as we get to the top of the hour, I gotta tell you you got your choice as the restaurants Bar eighteen eighty three Home of the world famous Kroger Karaoke Dope, which is Asian street food. Queen City Burger Company, the best burgers in the city, absolutely snow Fox, Poke Bowl, Chicken Fresh Sushi, Nice and Kitchen eighteen eighty three with the smoke wings and the fresh salad which I had the the wings.
Speaker 4: I got this solid next time. I'm gonna eat healthy next week.
Speaker 5: And they get all kinds of different drinks here too. I mean, be it water, be it soda, be atn adult beverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fully stock bar and outdoor area outside where you can go and chill and do that out there as well.
Speaker 5: Place to be man, no question about it.
Speaker 4: Lap.
Speaker 3: As we wrap up this hour, you know, we were talking about the Jets, and one of the things I think about is the Kansasity Chiefs came in here years ago and they were undefeated.
Speaker 4: The Bengals were winless. Yeah, it was just everybody's like, oh, that's gonna just roll over.
Speaker 3: The Bengals is gonna be And the Bengals ended that winning streak because they were a desperate team. And we were talking about that going into the break, and you know, a lot of tigns for coaches, even they get to a place where, hey, we're throwing the kitchen sink at it this.
Speaker 4: Week, because what else do we have to lose?
Speaker 3: Nothing else working. We need to just get something done. So we're just gonna trash the playbook. Let's go out here and play sand lot football.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think back to Paul Brown and Tiger Johnson, my first line coach, Bill to Johnson. Ahors used to say, yeah, now you know, we'd be like six and oh playing a team that was two and four. Oh, you guys are all fat and sassy. Man, you're all sitting on your high or and uh whatever team is coming in and they're looking to just knock you around. Man, they're looking to just slap you silly, and uh, they can embarrass you. They're they're good football players. And if they put it together on any given Sunday, just like the storyline goes, any given Sunday, upsets can occur. And and uh, you guys, from what I've seen so far in practice this week, I don't like what I see. You guys are gonna get knocked off and you're gonna be sorry about it. So get yourself together, get your gets your order.
Speaker 3: No question about it, and you know, lap, I think part of it. Whether people want to accept this or not, and I say, fans, really yeah, it's a human element. Man, You're you're winning, robody a team struggling. It's human ature to think, man, that they're they're not that good. We don't have to worry about that. And you you may even say, hey, well let me not do that. I'm gonna get my tentacles up. Part of you is still thinking we should just beat these guys. And that's when you put yourself in harm, no question, you know.
Speaker 5: And you hear it from everybody, and you wake up in the morning and you hear it from your wife. Oh yeah, man, you guys are playing so well. I'm so proud of ye. Since I'm proud of your Cincinnati brangle. The kids they go to school, all their schoolmates are like, oh man, the Bengals are really good. Your dad's really good. That you guys have to be just unbelievably happy, you know. And and that house of cards can crumble quickly.
Speaker 4: Rumble quickly, you know.
Speaker 3: I was thinking again, we talked about special teams always being something that matters, and I thought the Bengals special teams was really rock stay. You know, Tyson Anderson and those guys. Yeah, they take so much pride in what they do out there.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: And again, you talked about just a caliber of people that are on this team, but I've always said, you look at how a special teams group plays, that will tell you a lot about the locker room and the makeup of the teams.
Speaker 5: I agree, I agree. You know, special teams players are. They're special. It's a special there's no doubt about it. And Darren Simmons does as well as anybody in the National Football League. I mean, he gets the most out of his players every single year. Ryan Rico can crush a football. It's amazing how well he can kick punt of football for length and height. His hangtime is just out of this world. Ridiculous and money Mack, I'm telling you, Evan McPherson, this guy is automatic. Man. You start to count the three points before they're even going to be put up on the board. Officially, he is. He's something special and great teammate and teammates look to him. They respect his talents, they respect the leg that he's got to hang off of that right hip, and they love them some money.
Speaker 4: Mack Moneymack is that guy man.
Speaker 3: He seems to be back. And for me, yeah, that's UFT to the Bengals. Next few games, we lead them to the bye week. They've got the New York Jets, followed by the Chicago Bears and then the bye week. And on the backside of the bye week, man, fasten your tension. Pittsburgh still is on the road. Patriots coming here on the road to the Ravens. Don't tell me nothing about the Baltimore Ravens record on the road in Baltimore Thanksgiving Night is going to be one tough match. Then they go on the road to the Buffalo Bills and then Baltimore comes here.
Speaker 5: That's a stretch.
Speaker 3: That's a stretch, man. And I tell you what, that's a bye week that really fell at a good time because it's it's it's almost like that midway point and give them a chance to just rest up, because when you come back from that, it is all about making that drive to get to that first goal, and that is to win the AFC North and then the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Will come if you win that, and you can go from there.
Speaker 3: But no, no, there are no gimmes in the NFL, And I think you were great to point it out even with the Jets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no gimmeis whatsoever. And and I will say that that stretch is going to be a challenge, But I really do believe that this team is put together with the type of our personalities, the type of character, type of fiber to handle it.
Speaker 3: Marks all right, back with our number three does the Bengals pet rally so broadcasting life. I'm on the Ryan presented by Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Ingles pep Rally presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Paycore Paincor is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our number three of the Bengals pet rally SOHO broadcasting live from on the Ryne one hundred Court Street, right here in downtown Cincinnati, Presented by Just Bear Chicken, Wayne box Miller, Dave Lapham, Mike the Engineer with US and my Mike Magic on the heels of a thirty three thirty one win over the Pittsburgh Steelers, who go two and ozer in the the Vision two and on the Division and a tough game. They got some time to rest up again. If you haven't been here, you need to join us great restaurants. We're gonna do a little trivia in the next break to see how true the Bengal fans are here. I got one tough question already.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: It might be a stumper because I'm gonna get you on a technicality, but we've got We're gonna try to get Max Starks from the Pittsburgh Steelers radio on with us. And we also got fantastic fun facts.
Speaker 4: But let's go. We got Max already.
Speaker 3: Let's cue this man and Max Man, what a heck of a player for the Pittsburgh Still there's a number.
Speaker 4: Of years like you lap you offensive linemen. You go up in the booth. I don't know what does les to Welcome to show Max Starks. Max, how are you brother?
Speaker 16: I am I'm doing well.
Speaker 8: And of course you know you send the most intelligent guys to the boot.
Speaker 16: I mean, that's what you do. By Dave and I are in our respective positions.
Speaker 4: A max I.
Speaker 3: I tell you, for the fans and and for the TV viewing network, what a great game.
Speaker 4: But if you're still a fan, not so good.
Speaker 8: Yeah you're yeah, you know. I mean, but this is what those games are. This is what aft nor football is, right. It's it's gonna be tight, it's gonna be one possession. Never is there just some type of just walk off, blowoff, blowout game, unless it's that team that's a little bit.
Speaker 16: East of y'all.
Speaker 8: But this is this is normally how those games go. I mean, you look at the last ten times the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 16: And here's a play.
Speaker 8: It literally comes down to the scores two hundred and thirty seven to two hundred and thirty seven points scored for both teams. Wow, Like that's how evenly matched this type of contest is.
Speaker 5: Man, I mean that that is crazy. That is crazy. The Bengal when they were preparing for this football game doc with the coaches, they said two things are going to be determining factor in this football game turnovers, and the Bengals were plus two in that category. They got too off. The Pittsburgh Steelers and didn't turn it over at all, and then the running game would they be able to have a successful ground attack. And Chase Brown obviously was big, a big part of that for the Cincinnati Bengals in their favor, and you know, they felt like they needed to control Pittsburgh's running game. They couldn't let Pittsburgh's running game get out the gate and h and do some serious damage. What's the reaction been like, What was the reaction like in the locker room when you hit the locker room after the football game, And what's it been like from the media.
Speaker 8: You know, I think I think there was a sense of disappointment, you know, amongst the players faces because they know that the execution just wasn't there in the key moments. I mean, you know, normally, when you put up thirty one points, right, you're supposed to win a game. But that comes down to the defense not being able to do their job. I mean, you know, you think about it. The Bengals scored, you guys scored on seven of nine drives in the game last night. And for a defense that quote unquote was supposed to be tenacious, it didn't prove to be that.
Speaker 16: It proved to be the.
Speaker 8: Opposite of that, and offense we thought was the issue, ended up showing up. Now, granted, those two interceptions, I have to say the first one Aaron tried to force one that wasn't there, that first interception down the sideline, But the second one, DJ Turner made a heck of a play and I have to give him all the credit in the world. He made a heck of a play and to get that knee down right before he went out of bounds was huge, and it was something and it was something that I think when you look at just how the game went, those are those moments. But for the Steelers to be as in control as you were in the first quarter, I think once they messed up on that that botched fleet flicker that was called off, but not everybody knew it was called off, and that really set the momentum in the Bengals favor. And you guys took took advantage of it and ran with it. And now a lot of miscommunication with Jamar Chase. I mean, Jamark Chase had probably one of his best games.
Speaker 16: Ever, you know, and for and for Joe Flacco.
Speaker 8: You think about this, that's the most pass that he's had former receiver and how many teams he played on, how long is he played in this league? And that was the most beat out the previous of twelve against with Steve Smith when he was in Baltimore, right right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's really tough because I think what happens is you think that you got this game plan and all of a sudden, the things don't happen the way you want him to, and it causes problem because the steel is like the run the ball, but the still is like to stop people for run the ball, and they couldn't do that, so it made it made it a challenge for them.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and the time of possession.
Speaker 8: I mean that that that drive in the third quarter kind of like what you guys did the week before against Green Bay. You know that third quarter drive that just chews up about half o'clock. I mean green Bay it was a ten minutes and thirteen second, eighteen play drive. Then you follow that up on Thursday night and the third quarter you have a fourteen play, seventh minute and five second drive. So those are the things that when you're coming out the gates for the second half, you get in that first possession, you kind of get to dictate to the opposite team how the terms are going to be, and the Steelers never quite changed the momentum or the rhythm of the control once the Bengals took over.
Speaker 3: Max Starks from Pittsburgh steel A Radio, join us right now. You know, Max, talk about the atmosphere last night. I mean, you know, Pittsburgh has their crowd, their their audience, but that white out last night had to be something that you just couldn't ignore if you're a Steeler.
Speaker 16: Oh no, you absolutely couldn't. It was.
Speaker 8: And I actually put this on social media, I said, I said, and I had a Bengals game, or had a Cincinnati Bearcat game, right because.
Speaker 16: It gave you that call the atmosphere.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of you know of a white out or black you know when teams want to do their all out color and to change the field, I.
Speaker 16: Thought was was just genius.
Speaker 8: And to do all the white in there, it gave you a collegiate atmosphere. I think I think it actually intensified the crowd. And like you said, normally you see a lot of Steeler fans. If they were there, you couldn't really tell, because I'm sure most Steeler fans probably came and think we're wearing away white, so you wear white and then you're like, oh, man, I walked.
Speaker 16: Into a whiteout.
Speaker 8: So in fact, for me, I had a white polo over you saw me last night, you know, and I didn't even know, so it was a surprise. I'm like, dang it, I wish I would have not had to wear a black polo. But I thought that was a really cool environment, especially for Thursday night football.
Speaker 16: Right we think of.
Speaker 8: All these color Rush jerseys and how the NFL's changed with Nike, and I thought that was a really cool touch to have that type of environment. And it played perfectly, especially from you know, the television standpoint and especially the viewing public that was in the stadium. You felt like it was a rallied home game for a Thursday night game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no doubt. Let me ask you a question that Steeler fans probably will never ever, you know, want to talk about her here? Mike Tomlin. Mike Tomlin's been around a long time, had great success. I mean, hell of a football coach, unbelievable human being. He's He's been a credit to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, the National Football League all over the world. Do you think Mike Tomlin, the Rudy Family, Pittsburgh organization, do you think they're considering moving on from Mike Tomlin?
Speaker 16: I would say don't. I don't think so right now.
Speaker 8: I think that's something that when you look at just the track record him being really the only coach to go as long as he has of never having a losing record. I know people kind of play and say, but what does that mean?
Speaker 16: You know, if you can't wait to.
Speaker 8: Play it, I said, but at the end of the day, you know, success and continued success in that department means you're never in that position.
Speaker 16: And I think you know, his his skill.
Speaker 8: In his coaching is when it's been in those tough situations when you haven't had a roster that should have been five hundred, and you.
Speaker 16: Still find a way.
Speaker 8: And when we look around.
Speaker 16: This league, right we look at what the Jets, we look at you know, the Saints.
Speaker 8: We look at all these the Carolinas, right we look at these other wanders to have constant, massive turnover and they don't give coaches time to really mature get their system implemented.
Speaker 16: We see what's going on down.
Speaker 8: In Miami right now, right there's many points and numbers they put up, they still can't win. And you see Mike McDaniel's struggling and he's probably not going to make it to the end of the year. It's like there's something to be said for that continue tried tested in true mentality. Because the Steelers have only had three coaches since nineteen sixty nine, you know there's something for that, and that stability is what they try and breed. But I think, you know, for the Steelers organization, like especially this year, you want to see more consistency. But I think four and two still in a very good position considering what the rest of the vision looks like, especially when you're thinking about where Baltimore and where Cleveland are sitting. You know, you'd rather be in this position than on the other.
Speaker 16: Side of that.
Speaker 8: So I look at they're ready to necessarily move on from that. I think a lot of people, you know, chirp and especially a lot of the national media folks just want to see something different because they're tired of seeing this and you know, just like the Belichick effect, right, but it took Belichick having to lose Tom Brady have those losing seasons before they made a decision, and the Steelers have made it work with six different starting quarterbacks over the last three years and still made the play for easy.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, hey, Maxim I appreciates you so much for giving us a few minutes, brother, and keep getting continuing on that goal.
Speaker 4: Man, you look good. Brother, I got to tell you that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, now, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Wayne.
Speaker 8: And once again, you know, there's always still a semi soft spot in my heart for the Bengals because of my father. So you know I right, You know, it definitely isn't the quite inkst that I have towards Baltimore and Cleveland. You know, Cincinnati outside of when we play, is a team that I still still.
Speaker 16: Have a fond thought of.
Speaker 3: One of the best defensive linemen that ever put on the seventy nine in this.
Speaker 4: Building, I would say that for sure, brother.
Speaker 5: He could play.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: He was a stun my man, Max Starks.
Speaker 4: Everybody, thank you so much, brother, Thanks for.
Speaker 16: Having my pleasure. Y'all take care all right?
Speaker 3: There was Max Starks Pittsburgh, still his radio. His dad, Ross Browner played the same position our guest next to us played, and this young man drafted in the fifth round of Green Bay signed with US this year back in March. But I'm gonna read some accolades on the other side because he's not one dimensional as an athlete or a player. Ladies and Deman, welcome TJ. Slayton to the Biggest peth Rally Show. We'll take a break and we'll come back and talk to the man. You're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to the Bengals Rally Show pres anybody dust Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network, broadcasting live from on the Ryan Eatery one hundred Court Street, Waynebox, Biller Dave Lap with my special guests. A baller helped the school win the state title in twenty fourteen to twenty sixteen. Also a four year letterman in basketball and at the US Army Bowl.
Speaker 4: He didn't just play defense, he.
Speaker 3: Jumped over on the other side on offense and played that as well.
Speaker 4: Our pleasant TJ.
Speaker 3: Slayton in the building, Lasier and seven.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know they say that linemen don't have skills, you know, I mean, can't play other sports.
Speaker 2: You've proven them wrong with that, man. I mean, I grew up in a very athletic household, digital new sisters who like manchut, my mom swim nchut. So really I figured I had to do something. But they took They put me in football pretty early.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: It wasn't my really my favorite thing to do at first, but I got kind of got used to it. Then I got into basketballs or they got fun. Then football came back around.
Speaker 3: And now where are you in the sibling hierarchy.
Speaker 4: You're the youngest middle okay, and you have sisters and brothers or no, just two older sisters.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now did they did they act like moms as well as as big sisters. Do they still act that way?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: My sister does, but she's the youngest sister, but she thinks he's the boss. Let's talk about what point did you realize that this football thing.
Speaker 4: Might be something you could you can make a career out of.
Speaker 2: I want to say, like, uh, probably like my junior year high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you started getting offers or were you just playing well and dominating well?
Speaker 2: I was getting offers early on in school, like freshman year, but I felt like I started taking football seriously like my junior year high school.
Speaker 5: Okay, so who was the player that you watched elementary school, junior, high school, high school? As you're watching the NFL on television? Who is the player that flashed on the screen and you said, I want to play the game just like that guy.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's that's kind of like funny and interesting that you expect because like I really didn't have a really a guy that I was watching it because I wasn't really like into sports like that. Like I didn't really watch it on.
Speaker 5: TV more you weren't glued to the set. Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was more just wanting to go out there and just go play, like instead of like watching it on TV. Once I got to high school, I started like watching some people. Then once I started getting more involved into it and get getting more seriously like me like with lifted weights for the first time and stuff like that. So like it kind of bought you know, bought on inspiration to go watch other people and see what they're doing.
Speaker 5: On the other side of it. Or who's the guy that you played against in the National Football League that when the game was over you said that dude was a player.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's been a couple.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Frank rag Now was one of the big ones where after my rookie year, I was like, yeah, I gotta I gotta get better because these are the people on be facing. Uh. He was definitely one who put a stamp on my record year. Most definitely welcome to the league. Well not a welcome moment, just as in like this, this is what the league is about. You know what I'm saying. These are the type of guys that were facing you know and stuff like that. So I had to be able to, you know, take the next step in my game.
Speaker 3: Let's go back a second college because you ended up in Florida. But but who did it come down to? Was it clear cut Florida? Was it like, hey man, it's between two or three schools. But I ended up in Florida.
Speaker 2: Coming leaving the Army Bowl, I had got an offer from the University of Georgia. So it was between the University of Georgia and the University of Florida. But I actually I silent committed to the University of Florida at the Army Bowl game. But after that game, I still took an official visit to University of Georgia. So it really just came down to those two.
Speaker 4: And I always asked, you know, players, you know, each level there's a different requirement or a different ask of you, you know, mentally physically. What was the bigger challenge for you when you got to the college level in terms of what was required to play at that level, especially at the D one level of Florida.
Speaker 2: That sec Yeah, well it was. It was different because I played right tackle for four years in high school and then I only had like two years of defense really my junior and senior year when we played some of the the more of a running yes high school football teams. Uh, I got to play a little bit of defense, which I was already used to doing because, uh, from my background, like when I started playing football, I was a nose tackle, and then sixth grade is when like I got to do a little bit of right tackle offensive line stuff and then mostly playing defense. So I've always wanted to play defense. That's always what I've been attracted to. So but when I got to high school, spots wasn't available, so I had to go with it was available.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you this, I wanted to say, this is what I'm gonna tell you how I became a fan of your position.
Speaker 4: And the lap knows this name. When I said Ted Washington, there was a guy that played for the New England Patriots years ago named Big Big Ted Man. Ted was.
Speaker 3: He was so big and so good when they snapped the ball, Ted just did this the whole time. He was just holding two people right there and looking around to see And I've never seen a man that strong and that big just dominate and everybody's scraping.
Speaker 4: Off him and everybody's just getting but Lap, he just you couldn't move.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 5: He was an immovable object. He was the hub of it. Man he was. He was the cog in the wheel that made that thing go around. What player that you played against has been the one that you mentioned right now. So what coach had the biggest influence on your career as you were coming up through the ranks junior, high, high school, collegiate level. Is there a coach that was like, you could be great, and I'm going to help you be great. Here's what you need to do.
Speaker 2: I would really say I would have to give a lot of credit to my my high school o'larn coach. He had a big influence on my mental part and my approach to the game right just and then like basically like kind of laying out my future for me and like always giving me, you know, uplifting words too to better like, you know, my chances of getting to where I need to MOTI.
Speaker 4: That's beautiful, man. But so I got to ask.
Speaker 3: You you guys down there, man go to war. And somebody told me Tom Jackson used to be on ESPN, go play for dever Broncles. He said, Box, there's only X number of guys on every play that are engaged and violent contact and that's both sides of the ball. And it's it's I mean, is that for you? Like what you enjoy life?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: It's just testing my strength on every play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at some point, at some point, the violence of it does become fun.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, they can't put you in jail.
Speaker 5: They can't. So it's legal. It's all legal.
Speaker 2: But I feel like because of like how the game is today, because of all like the rule changes and everything that's going on, Like I feel like more how it is today is players are more involved than like, you know, doing the right thing, you know, being in the correct position. And uh, you know, we had like a saying in Green Bay, you just do your one a living like you know, you do your job to help your teammates, you know what I'm saying, instead of just how it's back in the day, it's like when you watch the family look man for themselves. Everybody trying to just get to the ball.
Speaker 5: Right. So the division, the AFC North, you're now too, and all in the division, you have the best record of any football team in the AFC North. What's it going to take to win the division when all of a sudden done.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's going to take good defense.
Speaker 5: It is just just division.
Speaker 2: Just to keep it like the short and simple. It's gonna take a good defense.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Even though yes we we just beat Aaron, but we Lamar are still a great quarterback. That's a great team, football team. That's uh, that's they have a great head coach over there, you know. And then they have a lot of pieces, a lot of pieces, a lot of receivers. They got a running back, they got big o'roonman. Uh, they got a good they got a great defensive line. So it's gonna be a lot that we're gonna have to bring to that game.
Speaker 3: You know, when when you think about where you're from Plantation, Florida, and that that that footprint down. Yeah for a lot of man so many players come up out of that area that that are in the NFL.
Speaker 4: What what is it about that area? Is it just football year round? Is it competition or it's hot you got to get after it's hot.
Speaker 2: I don't know community. Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like, I don't know what the percentages are, yeah, of why players come out of more of the hotter places. Yeah, but since it's my you know, my four years in the league, I've heard a lot of New Jersey. I've heard a lot of Cali, Texas. Maybe I've heard from Texas.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I heard a lot of Georgia. Yeah, just not the University.
Speaker 4: Of Georgia, but just from the state of Georgia.
Speaker 2: But it's just like the hot places. I don't know what the statistics are, but the hot places is what's you know, is what people are just recruiting.
Speaker 3: Right just because I'm I'm a Michigan football fan, and you'll see guys from from Florida up in Michigan, or you see somebody in California, USC from Florida.
Speaker 5: That's a long way from home.
Speaker 3: Even though Shamar, you know, he went to Texas, A and M and he's from Miami, so you know, he's down the bottom and he's all the way.
Speaker 4: Out there in Texas. But there's something to be said about that.
Speaker 2: But that's what that just like, I don't know why it's like that. It's just I don't know if it's it's just like the humidity or the athletics ism, like, it's just that is what it is. No matter what division ie college school you're looking at or what conference, there's always gonna be a guy from Florida.
Speaker 5: So what what what player that you played against, be a junior, high, high school, or collegiate or National Football League level, was a lowe, was a stud was like man at the end of the games, like, I'm sure, man, this dude, that was a heck of a battle.
Speaker 2: I played a couple of I played a couple of guys who were extremely good in uh high school, Like I had had a battle with Nick Bosa, uh Huh. I had to play a very good college football player Jacopolite in high school. Uh. I had to play Chase Young. Uh I forgot who I forgot the other guy who was on the other side of him, who were some other guys?
Speaker 4: Think you got tested, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, But that's because like we were just like a good high school and we used to have like good like opening games to the city. So, yeah, did.
Speaker 5: You do a lot of traveling one of those schools, Like would you come to Ohio and play Molar if they called or whatever?
Speaker 2: See, my high school didn't for some reason. We didn't want to travel that much. So like all of the schools that came to us, like we had to play like Don Bosco Jersey, the Mathas were Chase Young Win So those were all like like the pre kickoff season of games that was like on TV. They probably yeah, they always tried to us, like you know, but you gotta think about it, Like the Matha and Don Bosco, those are like cold please. I was just saying, they probably want to get them kids out of it like that, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put me down there too. Let's take every book come back. We're talking to t J.
Speaker 4: Slaton.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show, broadcasting live from the on the Ryan Eatery and presented by just Bear Chicken. Back to the Bengals pep Rally Show broadcasting live from on the Ryan Eatery, one hundred Court Street, presented by just Bear Chicken. On the Bengals Radio Network, Wayne box Filler, Dave Lapham, and TJ.
Speaker 4: Slaton joined us. Brother, Thank you so much man for hanging out with us. Pull that down for you.
Speaker 3: You know, I always say you got one of those personalities in the locker room that's infectious. And uh you know something you did, man, when you talk about leadership and guys that that know what this is. I was interviewing one of the young guys and uh I said something to him a cam sample. Yeah, and I did my uh I do my thing called the gratitude game.
Speaker 4: It's like one person.
Speaker 3: Are three people, you're grateful for, two things you're hopeful for, and you know the one thing you wish for. And he said to get to super Bowl. Something you said no to win the Super Bowl. And it was what a mindset is about.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, you got to think about not getting there but winning that and getting that there. Where did that positive and that focus come from?
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Was there somebody along the way to kind of say, hey man, you gotta think like this.
Speaker 2: I think I would probably say probably Kenny Clerk. I remember it was my it was my rookie year. We went thirteen to three.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And we had the first round by and we lost by field though, And that the whole first the whole first round, the whole while car around. There were three there were three to four games won by a field goal.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And literally I was telling myself that whole week that I don't want to be a team that wins that loses by a field goal, because it's like it's the most annoying waiver to lose it's by a field goal, because it's like it's one of the hardest things to stop. So and then we had a mishap right before halftime and they scored. They recovered, they blocked our punt and recovered the ball and then kicked the field goal, and then we going to halftime. And then I think that game was I think the game score was like, uh, like it was like nine, like six. It was like a weird like game. So it was a hard game. And then at the end of the game I went out onto the field to you know, to shake hands with everybody. And I look out the left corner of my I mean the right corner of my eye, and I see case he's just running into the locker room. So I go straight into the locker room after him, and I'm like, and I asked him in the hallway, I'm like, what's up, Like you know why you didn't shake hands? He was just like he was like that's like, he was like, it's about sportsmanship. But at the same time, like we're trying to get somewhere, and like this is a playoff game, so the feeling is different. It's like it's harder to to congratulate the other team that just stopped you and the point of winning the Super Bowl or getting your chance to get to the dance, so like it's a different connect It's like and then it made me think and realized, like, Okay, we are in the NFL. We are playing this game, but it's not for a long a long time. So like, if you want to win the super Bowl, you got to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Now, you gotta win the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't that like he was being disrespectful to the other team. It was just like I'm more disappointed that we lost and and what I did that is like it's taken over to the point that like I can't be like, are you what I'm saying exactly? Like, yeah, So.
Speaker 5: What coach at the any level, elementary school, junior, high school, high school, college, NFL had the biggest impact on teaching you, not necessarily just your football coach, but you played basketball, and I don't know how much baseball you played, but I've played a bunch of sports, and you know at those levels, be it football, basketball, baseball, shot put, discuss whatever.
Speaker 2: Wrestling.
Speaker 5: Uh I bet you would have been a hell of wrestled you wrestling?
Speaker 2: Uh No, they wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Would I can believe that what what coach had had the biggest impact on you?
Speaker 2: Uh my already I wouldn't said my high school coach. When I got to college. I want to say my freshman year. I had three different D line coaches at college, but my freshman year of college coach he definitely like like like his instead of making me a football player, like he wanted to make me a football player and a man at the same time. So like before meetings and stuff like that, he would have like we would have like open floor conversations like about like family and then like like money and like you know, like you know, signing off on a car or like anything to do with like a house. Like he just wanted to make sure like we were doing like the correct things or at least had the had thoughts or even just had the conversations to like even have those thoughts in the future to to better you know, better equipped ourselves on the field and off.
Speaker 3: I love that guy. I don't even know who he is, but Chris Rump. Yeah, all right, let's take a break. We'll come back and finish our conversations with probably so presented by just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. The Bengals Far Browley Show broadcasting live right here after the on the over the Ryan Eatery one under Court Street, presented by just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Wayne Box, Miller, Dave Lapham, t J.
Speaker 3: Slaton Man, thank you so much for hanging out with us and the Bengal fans.
Speaker 4: And I got to ask you the NFL moment I like.
Speaker 3: To ask guys about is the first time and this is in Green Bay obviously because they drafted you the first time you go out on that field in that uniform and you say, man, I'm in the NFL.
Speaker 4: What was that like for you? That smile jumped on your face.
Speaker 2: Man, that was crazy. H It was my first preseason game against the Houston Texas. Yeah, Like we practiced in the stadium before that, we had a joint practice in there. But it wasn't the same like the next day, like all the fans and everything, and like I was literally standing out there, like standing in the tunnel and I was just like I literally said that like like oh my god, I'm in the NFL, and then running out and then like the smoke and everything else. It was fun talk.
Speaker 4: About your family and sharing that. If you were able to share that opening game with your family, what it.
Speaker 2: Was like, Oh that was cool. You know, that was fun having my family there, my mom and my sisters. Uh. It was just like more of one of those like like kind of like like we.
Speaker 5: Here, you know what I'm saying, Like, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was more like it was more like a flash type of moment, like when I would be sitting down like at home, like watching the games on TV and then now I'm back to playing one so it was just like that beautiful, like that moment in my head. It was just like seeing myself sitting in front of the TV and then it going away and then seeing myself standing in the tunnel. So it was like that was cool.
Speaker 5: That is cool, all right? So I hope this is at least a decade away. But when you're done playing football in the National Football League, would you want to coach or would you want to get into some other profession?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I might be one of them. I'll be I might be on one of them. Thirty seven you team, It might be on one thirty seven.
Speaker 5: I love it, love it.
Speaker 4: Talk about you've got some you got some years under your belt. Now, it's funny. Has it gone fast?
Speaker 2: Few?
Speaker 3: Because guys say, all of a sudden, one minute your rookie, the next minue you got five years in Nah, not at all.
Speaker 2: You live every day, every meeting, every practice. It does not go by fast. I ain't gonna lie. Like when you're winning, Yeah, when you're winning the week's team to go by fast. But when you're like having an up and down season or you have a like kind of like a slow start, heavy, every days get longer, they feel like hours take forever to go by.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, So whereabouts you stay? Are you a northern Kentucky guy? Are you over the river by the stadiums.
Speaker 2: I'm in Mount Lookout Point? Oh okay, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Far from work. I'm a matter of fact, I was looking at that because I dropped my bracelet.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you found that way.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't know you had it.
Speaker 3: They said somebody was going to bring it home right, very bright and shiny.
Speaker 4: Man, you know I had it right. I don't know what happened to get the class fixed on that.
Speaker 3: TJ talk about mentorship in some respects because you have some young guys on the D line and you guys observe a very close knit group. What are some of the things you just try to tell the first second year guys about this league and this game and the business of it.
Speaker 2: All, just you know, just trying to tell them to find a routine that like, you know that suits then come, you know, come in a little earlier, like maybe thirty minutes or sometimes if it has to be an hour to get it in a little early. You know, get your body right. If you're a scratch guy, you know, get up, come in you know, scratch. If you're a tough guy, come get in the tub. You know, little things like that.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 2: They always come to me, you know and ask me little things that that can help them, you know, contribute to that game, or like ask me questions like Okay, in this situation, what would you do? Yeah, and just like like you know me personally, I don't really look at it as like a leader thing. I really just look at it as just somebody looking for information and I have, you know, just giving it out.
Speaker 4: So he'll like that.
Speaker 2: Nah, But Kenley tries to sneak it and every now like they be like, man, you know, I'm on your two, you on five. I was like, yeah, you on your two, I'm on your five. I'm just still just just as young as you are. Just two years ago, I was on year two. Like I've been in the same boat, you know what I'm saying. So, but yeah, man, it's it's always cool. It's fun to go in with you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's a question that I think you you know, you've been around ballers and green Man. You come here and you see a guy like Joe Burrow, Joe Flacco. These guys are just they're different, man, and and talk about just that.
Speaker 4: If back to these guys, have you just kind of know it, don't.
Speaker 2: You when you Yeah, Like I was just telling so I was telling Chris Jenkins in the game, I looked to the sideline and uh, Jamo is telling us to watch listen for hard count. And I'm telling Chris, I'm like, listen for the hard count because you don't want us to get you. Don't want him to get you. Trying to tell you don't want him to get you. He got eighteen toes now passes off hard counts and then like his he has one of the best hard counts, like ever, Like when I was in Green Bay, he got us, he went on six, Like he went on six in a practice, he went on six. And then in one practice, I think he got us four times in one practice one practice.
Speaker 4: I know the coaches weren't happy.
Speaker 2: That is real. But then like playing with a guy like Joe, it's just I think it's just like fun, you know what I'm saying, Like playing with a guy or just of his caliber. Uh, just playing with the guys like who has so much poise, who's just as calm as he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Uh, he just but he also like has like that that or like energy to him, you know what I'm saying. So, but you know I played Joe three times in college.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his but his his year was deaf me, like the undefeated year they had, going up there to the valley to play him. Him walking in the game and leaving the same way he came in, Like it was like crazy. And then you know, go to the draft, get drafted, come to Cincinnatti and then my first half a sack is on Joe.
Speaker 5: That show you're h You mentioned the word fun. When the game's not fun anymore? Time to get out, you know what I mean. It's it's it's like, all right, well now football, I mean it's a game, but it can't become a chore.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like, uh, what would you when you do get out of football? When football is done? What do you want to do? What would you would you would would you get into another profession? What would you do?
Speaker 2: I really haven't thought a rot getting into coaching as far as like another profession, Like I don't I haven't really gave it him much thought.
Speaker 4: Left they got a lot of years left.
Speaker 3: Let's get this last break in and we'll come back and wrap up with TJ.
Speaker 4: Slayton to get him about here. Thank you for being here from the.
Speaker 3: Bengals pet Rolly Show, broadcasting live from Over the Ryan Eatery, presented by Just Bear Chicking on the Bengals Radio Network. Welcome back to Bingles pet Rally Show, presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. We're at the O t R Eatery or the Over and Around Eatery. I tell you what, this place got some great stuff here. Wayne Box, Miller, Dave Lap I'm TJ.
Speaker 4: Slayton Man. Thank you so much for hanging out with us.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you and uh just a joy I've ever since you got here. I remember meeting you and you just have that infectious personality. And one of the things that I wanted to ask you was does that come Is that something that your mom has or something you developed your sister's Where did that personality come from?
Speaker 2: I want to say it's probably a blend between my mom and my dad. Yeah, yeah, they both got like kind of big personalities.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because you're you're smooth, with it like I watch it like I'm gonna be this way, but I can be this way too, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you adjust, as they say pivot.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm more of a like acquired and I'm more of a like to my to myself type of person. Uh, but I mean I could also be like outgoing to h due to like certain conversations or probably like environments.
Speaker 5: You have a lot of leadership traits. I mean, there are a lot of players in this roster, in that locker room that have leadership traits. They've done a great job of finding people that are high character, high fiber type individuals. How strong are the personalities on this football team?
Speaker 2: Oh we got a blanch man, you know, especially just on the D line. Yeah, you got Crazy, got DJ like to you know, outgoing, outspoken people, uh Trade obviously a very demanding person. You got Logan, you got Cam Taylor brit who's very outgoing energy. Uh JB's uh crazy guy, bounces off the walls all over the uh DJ turners another like crazy guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we got a bunch of uh different personalities on this D line. And but but at the end of the day, it's all high energy guys. So like, that's what that's what you really want around. You want somebody who can always change the atmosphere and the energy of the room. Rather it's like, you know, funny or even if we're going to feeling that you can play.
Speaker 4: Well, let me ask you this as we wrap up here.
Speaker 3: I always ask players this because so many times people in the car riding listening and your kids have aspirations. What would you say to a young man or who.
Speaker 4: Has a desire to one day play in the NFL or at the younger part of it's like, what advice would you give him? Uh?
Speaker 2: Definitely, just trust the process, you know what I'm saying, Trust your process, work hard. Like things. There are things that you are going to notice that you have to force, and there are things that you are going to notice that you just have to let you know, let do what they are, you know what I'm saying. So I know everybody always be like, oh, you know, tell them to stay in school and get good grades. It's like, but when it comes to this like this at the end of the day, like you said, this is a game, but this is also like a skill in the craft that you can work on so long as you just stay focused on your skill and your craft and have a good mindset. Like this game and what it can provide and change life, no.
Speaker 3: Question, ladis and tell them let's give it up a TJ slaty s. Thank you all for joining us. We'll be back next week. Not this siding, but it's the Ring of Honor with Dave Lapham Is going up on the wall.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's been the Bengals pint rally is so presented by Just Bear Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals pmp Rally presented by Just Beared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Pay Core Paycre is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Ulti Viper Ulti Viper the official WiFi and the Internet provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals,