Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on AM five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: The pipes, the pipes, the pie.
Speaker 3: Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadakus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 5: The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free. It's popping everybody. It's a frog Man Friday or Rogendros and Money Show. We're happy to be with you on AM five seventy LA Sports. We are your home of Dodger Baseball. However, it is the off season and the Dodgers haven't reunited with Cody Bellinger. They haven't signed Bo Baschett, they haven't signed who's the other.
Speaker 6: Guy, Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 5: Kyle Tucker, they haven't Nothing's happened when will it happen? When can we expect it to happen?
Speaker 4: I have no clue.
Speaker 6: Well, Sat, it was on Dodger Talk last night and I actually ran into Dave today and our big company all hands on deck MEETIA at eleven.
Speaker 4: Well, how did I know it was all hands on deck? I didn't know. No one told me.
Speaker 6: I was looking for you at Petros, Ronnie and I and David Vesse looking around the room.
Speaker 4: I heard everybody was there except for me.
Speaker 6: I mean, we can say all their names what we want, but you know they were Big Boy was there, Valentine was there. Wow, really, Menace was there. Good dude, by the way. Uh, let's see who else was there. Cruz was there. He's a really good dude. We stood right next to him from ninety two to three, but did not see you. And that was we'll see you there. But it was a great meeting. We also have our jobs and looking forward to a great twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, you know that is good. I wouldn't assume they'd let me on the airwaves if I didn't have my job, But here we are. Things have slipped through the cracks in the past. You can podcast this show We're even going to try to do it before the show podcast today at some point. But you can podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone, and we'll be back on Monday for like a three to six thirty show, and pretty normal shows next week, and then on Thursday. A week from Thursday, we're down for our final show at BJYS of the football season at the BJS in Irvine. I think that show starts at three o'clock the BJS in Irvine at the Marketplace. Is that accurate information, Tim?
Speaker 6: That is Craig Petros. It's a three to six show leading into a huge, huge LA showdown between the Clippers and the Lakers. That's what our cell, huge huge showdown that night. The twenty second add into it Dome Lakers and Clippers.
Speaker 5: So what are we saying, Come and watch Lakers Clippers with us, or watch the pregame show with us.
Speaker 6: Or just come hang out in South Orange County to get ready for Clippers Lakers.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I guess that's a ways off, So we'll try to collect them to try this around here and get it to the people. But right now, it's time for the Word of the Day.
Speaker 3: His words the word of the day.
Speaker 5: Today's word of the day. This was tweeted out by one of those Trojan football accounts, But it's all over Twitter today. You know, USC Today's word of the day is defensive coordinator. Now, you could, in my opinion, hire Vince Lombardi to be USC's defensive coordinator or whoever the greatest defensive mind of today. The coach at Seattle, the Seahawks McDonald, you know, some great defensive mind. They they couldn't even help us see that much. They hired Deanton Lynn, who's supposed to be a great coordinator, and I don't think anybody can help us see that much defensively because of the way they practice, the mentality of the head coach and the mentality of the offense. But you know, Tim, that Deanton Lynn left in a very awkward way and didn't coach in the bowl game.
Speaker 6: What was awkward about it him in a press conference saying I'm here at the bowl game, and then literally the next morning he was gone on a plane to have all leaving for Pinston.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, so yeah, his alma mater. But and they gave him a better deal. But Deanton Lynn is no longer the decordinator at US see Lincoln Riley can hire the guy that called. Of course, the players just like they wanted Dante wanted the guy who's already there. They don't want anybody new coming and upsetting the apple cart. But it is official and confirmed by multiple sources that former TCU head coach Gary Patterson, the Old Hedgehog, has expressed interest in the job and has been in talks with USC about the open defensive coordinator position. Gary Patterson coached for twenty plus years at TCU and had unprecedented success. There was one hundred and eighty one and seventy nine overall, won four Mountain West Championships, a Big Twelve Championship, a Conference USA Championship, and was one of the best secondary defensive coordinator, secondary oriented defensive coordinator, calling the plays on the sideline, super engaged, hunched over. If you remember the way he used to look calling games and when he was at TCU, he was really talented. He's also a very difficult personality and became more and more crotchety like all of us and weird as time went on and he continued at TCU.
Speaker 4: If you know what I'm saying, do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Oh, and he had a lot of success, but just drove people crazy. And I've seen a few examples behind the scenes of him just totally crashing out and doing weird stuff that you don't normally see. And no one else has really hired him since he left tc Remember he did a Western album. Remember that he did an album. He got sired in twenty twenty my dad, Yeah, twenty twenty one, And then in twenty twenty two he worked with sark as a special assistant an analyst, and then he did the same job in twenty twenty four. So maybe the TCU money's dried up now I don't know the contract details, And now he wants a real job and he's ready to be a coordinator again and hasn't coordinated. You know, he's been a head coach forever. And if he goes back into somebody's program in Lincoln Riley's the head coach, it's just hard to imagine how that would work out. But you know, I mean, he had Sonny Comby, who's the head coach at Louisiana Tech and a noted air raid Mike Leach.
Speaker 4: Guy.
Speaker 5: He had Sonny Comby, as his offensive coordinator at TCU for a while, so maybe he's used to working with air raid types from Leech's tree, like Lincoln Riley. But there it is. Gary Patterson, one of the true characters of college football, seemingly interested in the defensive coordinator job at USC.
Speaker 6: Now he's got West Coast ties. Remember he was a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: He was at cal Pauly with a lot of those guys, or maybe not cal Pauly, maybe Davis Cossacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was at Davis too.
Speaker 6: Well, if he could rock the visor like he did, I mean, I'm all for that. I love a good visor on the head coach. He's one of my favorite coaches. And I loved watching his secondary play. I mean, so rarely would you ever see a guy uncovered in the secondary. Quarterbacks would have to make really accurate throws into small spaces because he was on top of it, and he would wait till the last second to put that secondary call to the corners and safeties and linebackers when he was coordinating the defense, so much so that sometimes they would just wear a no call and play it in vanilla because they snapped it too fast. And the guys are waiting for the calling. He's a heck of a technician on the defensive side. But I don't know how that helps Lincoln Riley because of just the mentality of the whole deal. But interesting as USC looks for a new defensive coordinator as Deant and Lynn used them as a stepping stone as well as UCLA.
Speaker 4: All right, it's time for the number of the days.
Speaker 3: Top number of the day.
Speaker 6: Number of the day is not many? Yeah, not many people have been going to UCLA basketball games this year. Despite what's the top twenty five team that Mick Cronin has shout out to.
Speaker 4: Are they still top twenty five?
Speaker 6: They've now just been out of the top twenty five after bat they lost like two straight. They lost it at Iowa and they lost at Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: Over there, hasn't Josh Lewin been getting torn to pieces on air?
Speaker 6: It was not pretty after the Iowa game, Like I listened to it.
Speaker 4: That he was real friendly after Wisconsin to trying to make up for it.
Speaker 6: I think. So that's what I understand. Mark huskas And is this tweet link and it caught my attention just about a half an hour ago, and his press conference today with the Beat Riders. Not a lot of them cover UCLA basketball, but Ben Boltch, Ben Bultch, is the only one, our friend at the LA Times, still covers the team. Yeah, he did ask a lot of questions today and he asked him this question about attendance. Now, I preferce this by the fact that UCLA has been in and out of the top twenty five. UCLA is ten and five on the season in college basketball. I know a lot of people are we're not.
Speaker 5: Really paying attention to it because you're not working with UCLA, like usually if you're up at night doing brewing talk or something.
Speaker 4: You know, it's more part of our.
Speaker 5: Daily weekly routine, and we talk about how the Bruins are doing. I don't really know, even though I consider myself to be close personal friends.
Speaker 4: With Mick Cronin. No, but I don't really know what's going on.
Speaker 6: No, they're ten and five on the season. They're two and two in Big Ten play.
Speaker 4: So things could be going better, right.
Speaker 6: They beat Washington in Oregon before the holidays, that weird start to the conference play. But since instance the start of the new year, they went on the road, lost at Iowa, lost to Wisconsin. They're home against Maryland tomorrow night a Fox if you want to watch it. Dave Roberts is the honorary captain. They're going to celebrate the former UCLA outfielder and Dodger manager.
Speaker 4: They have like some dorky T shirt with him and Mick on it.
Speaker 6: I kind of like it. So if you donate to the Men of Westwood, you get a T shirt. So if I can have twenty bucks, maybe Petros, I'll donate. Okay, Well, today Mick was asked by Ben Bulch about the crowd.
Speaker 4: And I'm not giving bucks to the Man of Westwood.
Speaker 6: The crowded. Paul's been very underwhelming. Now they had a winner break serly, Well, it's been this way forever. Yeah, but you had two big ten games against Washington and Oregon and they had about six thousand, seven thousand people at those games.
Speaker 4: But it was Christmas break.
Speaker 6: Well it was actually before Christmas break the UC riverside the UC Riverside game, they had forty four hundred people. That was during Christmas break and they've been on the road since. So it's been a little underwhelming the attendance this year. With more than a little it's supposed to be a big year. For UCLA basketball. They put a lot of money in the nil it's a top twenty five team for the most part. Here's Mick Cronin asked by Ben Bulch about that.
Speaker 4: What did he say? It's I don't hear anything.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: He was asked about the crowd and he his quote to Ben Bolch was you need to speak to Martin Jarmon, the athletic director at u c l A. And then he kind of walked it back a little bit and said, Hey, you know, it's the winter break. It's tough with the crowds, you know, but anytime you get a good crowd, especially in college basketball, it's a winning experience and a great experience for the fans and the players. But we get it. We're in a professional city and we're in a city that you know, it's got the Lakers and the clip it locked down. That's okay. Uh No. We got a computer monitor though, making that that lockdown winning at half time. We were winning a halftime Mick, and then my computer froze up. And Ronnie's trying, and bless him, he's trying to get this.
Speaker 4: When we can ask.
Speaker 6: Usually you do, coach, and you had a little bit to say to the Ben Bolts of the La Times. But yeah, he was asked about the crowd and his first immediate response was great, go ask Martin Jarmon, the athletic director. I don't know what Martin Jarmon's going to do, Petros.
Speaker 4: About lower the prices?
Speaker 6: I mean lower the price is lower. I mean what is that really going to do to help out the situation with the attendance.
Speaker 5: It's a way Ralfi gets going. Wait till you see all the kids down at SELFI having the time of their lives, like Sergeia.
Speaker 6: Well this is for college basketball. It's a different story.
Speaker 4: Now they should be able to get drink and walk over there.
Speaker 6: Here's Mick, let's see what we got here.
Speaker 4: Here's here is you know what what could be done to get it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a Martin Jorman question.
Speaker 6: What does it.
Speaker 2: Mean to have you've been there with great crowds?
Speaker 3: What does that mean when you do have it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 7: Well I would tell you this. There's it's the simplest question ever. I mean, having a great home crowd is awesome. Simplest question. Yeah, I don't think you can expect it over your holiday break. Okay, all right, so you know, we've been on break for a long time, right, so you know those you know, those type of games. But when you're in a pro city, you're probably gonna have to wait till conference play and your kids are back at school.
Speaker 6: All right, there's men.
Speaker 7: That's just the way.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Right, that was awesome. Our computer froze up and Ronnie fixed it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate this, says.
Speaker 5: The prices of most games at Polly are insanely high, really, and they.
Speaker 4: Don't let you go into the lower bowl even if it's empty.
Speaker 6: Now that talk to Martin Jarman about that is ridiculous if that's the case.
Speaker 4: So it's something to think about.
Speaker 6: If you're getting a Pauli pavilion that's a third full, meaning two thirds of Paulie's empty, you're not letting people just go down and sit in the one hunderd.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you better come up with the little Caesars pizza pizza special to try to stimulate sales. You know, this is one of the problems they have in San Diego. At the San Diego State game. San Diego State football built that new stadium and they hired a new coach and they had a very good football team in twenty twenty five, they won like ten games with Sean Lewis, and they couldn't put anybody in there. And the reason is because the prices are so high. The community is rejecting it because they're not they're not making it affordable for people to.
Speaker 4: Go to the games.
Speaker 5: Here's then they have the soccer team down there that plays in the same stadium. Prices aren't as high, and they fill the thing up and they're shooting off fireworks and it's a Latino fun fest. And somehow the stecas can't find a way to pull that off. And part of it is because the prices are too damp high.
Speaker 6: At Paulie there's the one hunter section, the lower bowl, and then there's the upper section, the two hundred section. The get in price for UCLA Maryland basketball tomorrow night in a corner section two twenty four is thirty one dollars.
Speaker 4: That's not bad.
Speaker 6: That's a get in price set up in the tip top corner. You want to sit in the lower bowl the one hundreds, The cheapest one is in section one O eight. You're behind a basket. I don't know which row says limited availability one hundred and twenty seven dollars too much, and fifty cents to sit in the lower bowl, the cheapest lower bowl ticket.
Speaker 4: That's too much.
Speaker 5: Now you start, you're not gonna make any money if there's nobody's ass in that seat.
Speaker 6: You want to get closer. They're gonna buy a hot dog.
Speaker 4: They're not gonna buy a popcorn. They're not gonna buy a seven up.
Speaker 6: You want to sit behind one of the benches. Two hundred dollars, You want to sit behind the scores table? Three forty five?
Speaker 4: Geez the snaws, yes, forget it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Textosa is right.
Speaker 8: The secret text does a fine brought to you by your so called Toyota dealers.
Speaker 6: We make it easy.
Speaker 5: Lower your prices and the same goes for you, San Diego State. Don't complain about people not showing up if you're not willing to meet them halfway, and lower your prices and make it a little bit more accessible for everybody. You only raise your prices when there's a line outside, and everybody will pay whatever to get in.
Speaker 7: Petrosen money.
Speaker 4: The best show in town, that's right. That's why it's a Martin jarmand question Kates, that's.
Speaker 7: Why are you asking a question or bone.
Speaker 6: It was a pretty good question.
Speaker 4: It's time for the Song of the day run.
Speaker 3: This is the song of the day.
Speaker 8: New York City Ban the Strokes are behind today's song of the Day called Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus because the Petrosen Money Show has taken over the midday time slot with an early sort of flex alert on a Frogman Friday, where the Clippers continue with their road trip, having crossed the Brooklyn Bridge to rendezvous with the Nets at Barclay's Center. That'll begin with our friend Adam Oslin, who's in the building getting ready for that Clippers countdown show that begins at three point thirty.
Speaker 6: You know, Petrose, if Ronnie were a football player, I think he'd be a safety. You should have seen him running around in the studio to get that audio from Mike Cronin. He had great closing speed on the computer.
Speaker 4: It was Alinella Malo.
Speaker 6: I mean he was, you know, twenty yards off the ball in the computer and just closed in.
Speaker 5: I not reflected his forty time, but when he gets the pads on, he plays with football speed.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, lightning lightning speed.
Speaker 4: Guys, close us into the tack.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll be back with marg great Sports Dot Don mcclaying, we'll join us in the very next set.
Speaker 3: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you.
Speaker 1: Make Am five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple car Play or Android.
Speaker 5: Autos cracking Everybody, Welcome back. It's a Frogman Friday on Petrosen Money. Tim Kats is here. We're having a heck of a time. Don McClain, our best friend to talk basketball. We are efforting a big thank you everybody that showed up at our event yesterday and Serritos. We have another event coming up two weeks from yesterday at the BJS in Irvine. We're running a bunch of the NFL games on the station over the weekend, and we also had the Chargers game on AM six forty. The reason we're on so early on the Big Flex Alert tonight is because there is a Clipper game in Brooklyn against the Brooklyn Nets, which is coming up in a matter of moments.
Speaker 4: Pregame starts at three point thirty. But joining us right.
Speaker 5: Now on your Southern California Toyota Nitter Celebrity Hotline.
Speaker 4: Is the Baron of Box Canyon.
Speaker 5: The next ass he kisses will be the first you see his statue there on your screen at Lemon Park in Beautiful Seam.
Speaker 4: Valley, which is the place of his origin. Because college games, the Big Ten Network and FS one swim My Cup say.
Speaker 5: She has a taste for adventure working for CAA training guys.
Speaker 4: Like Cooper Flag.
Speaker 6: You think Donald pay two hundred and forty five bucks and sit in the lower bullet Polly, that's.
Speaker 4: All the same.
Speaker 5: No, I don't, but we can't address that with it. It is the one and only Don McClain on the Petersen Money Show on AI seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: What's cracking?
Speaker 1: Don?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: It's funny you mentioned tickets and ticket prices because I think, for the first time in the last twenty two or twenty three years, I actually went to a college game that I didn't get paid for when Saint Mary's played at Pepperdine last week.
Speaker 5: Oh with Trent, Yeah, how much was it?
Speaker 4: How much was what the tickets?
Speaker 2: No, the ticket was free. I'm saying, Pete, what what you're misunderstanding? I went to a college team that I didn't paid for, meaning I wasn't working. Yeah, Yeah, that's what I meant.
Speaker 4: I got you.
Speaker 5: No, No, I understand. I wouldn't go to a game if somebody wasn't at me either. I don't even know if my if my kid was there, I don't even know if i'd go.
Speaker 4: The one and.
Speaker 5: Only Don McClain is here. We're always happy to talk to him. I was at a very famous deli in San Pedro yesterday, Don the meat shop, and the guy madd my sandwich said. I was listening to Chet Briquette on your radio show, and he was spot on. He knows everything about barbecuing. And this is a very very reputable butcher shop down So you can if you can impress those Baltic men, you can do anything. That very Darko's Meat Shop very impressive.
Speaker 2: Somed maybe I'll come get to meet from them.
Speaker 5: You want a leg, a lamb or something, come on, come on down to Darko's. Don, it's the real art, and they can have build a sandwich and we can eat it together at White Point.
Speaker 4: Okay, that'd be nice, Ye, it would be nice. Uh. UCLA has lost a couple straight.
Speaker 7: Don.
Speaker 5: We've been talking a little college basketball today and we talked about Mick cronin a little bit. This is supposed to be a big year for them. How good can they be? And what do you think the story will be as they get into the meat of the Big Ten. They've lost two straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think the Big Ten is of Donkld this year. Not that it isn't every year, but it's just when you go on the road, man, it's it's different. And I said this last year, Pete, and I think I said it to you and Matt. You know, when you get used to playing in the PAC twelve. And this is in disrespecting the Pac twelve because I was a part of that forever. But when you go to and you play in front of three thousand people. You go to Stanford there's fifteen hundred. You go to Washington State there's two thousand, you kind of get used to that. I know, guys aren't there forever, but even for a year or two, and then you're going to these Big ten arenas and they are packed fifteen thousand. So it's a different deal. And I'm not reading too much into them losing a couple of games on the road, but I just think it's going to be like that. I still think they're an NCAA tournament team. I still think they're going to finish in the upper half of the Big Ten. But there's no gimmeis in the Big Ten like there was in the Pac twelve for years.
Speaker 6: Speaking of crowds, don that's a perfect lead in until we were talking about Mick Cronin was asked by Ben Boltz today about the lack of crowds at UCLA home games this year despite having a really good team, and his first response was, go ask Martin Jarmon, and then he alluded a little bit and said, Yeah, it's tough because we're on the quarter system and the long winter break, and you know, we go on the road. As you mentioned the Big Ten. They just had crowds at Iowa, really big crowds on the road and lost. Now they come back tomorrow and they face Maryland, a really good team in the Big ten, and who knows who shows up? Is there anything that can be done at Paul's at the ticket prices? And then they got a good product on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I don't know what happened because it's been like that. It's been like a slow lead tim for a long time. It really has. And there's a couple of years in the Alford era where they didn't win and then howling at the end where they didn't win. But it's not like they haven't won and Mick has won. I mean they went to a final four what three years ago, So I don't I don't know what it is is that the fan experience at the game is that did a lot of really die hard UCLA fans when I was playing, there were younger, they got older. Are they still around? Do the kids that you know? I'm assuming a lot of those families that have season tickets got passed down in the family. Those kids just aren't basketball fans. I don't think it's one thing. I think it's a lot of things. But you can't point to the fact that they haven't won. I mean they're you know, they're not top five in the country every year, but they have one and been consistently winning with Mick since he's been there.
Speaker 5: Doc McClain, our guest, you heard what he said to me. No, I went to the game for free, paid.
Speaker 6: To sit in the lower bowl behind the scorers table, and that section done at Polly It's two hundred and forty five dollars again in price is thirty one to sit up in the corners of Paul Pavilion. One of the text dosors sent a text to Petrolsad, Yeah, fans are priced out at Paul Pavilion for UCLA games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean two forty five seems a bit much when the place is in full. You know, maybe maybe restart that and lower the prices. See if people come back. I mean it's worth it's I would say this because Mick is a very good coach and we all love him and he wins, So why not try something to get people back in there, you know, watching lower the prices way down and then see what happens if everybody starts coming back. Didn't you know it was the ticket prices Start.
Speaker 5: With that, guys, that's Don McClain. He's an All American. Charge him half price. Don McClay our guests on the Peches and Buddy Show at m FI seventy LA Sports. It's fun to talk a little college basketball. But I don't know how much attention you've been paying to the Lakers up in Eugene, Oregon and traveling around down but it feels like they have somebody out every night.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: He Not to interrupt you, but I was actually in your spot last night. I was it was like the olden days. I did a game at gil Calliseem with mikey Am last night, believe it or not.
Speaker 6: Where to state.
Speaker 4: Oh my god in corn Alice, you know, I've never been in that building.
Speaker 2: Really. No, it's a it's a it's a historical monument. I guess they call it so it's pretty it's pretty original. About five years ago they put in a new like jumbo tron in the middle hanging from the ceiling, but they can't touch the actual building. There's no air conditioning in there. I think there's heating, but no air And they can't do anything to the building because it's a historical monument. I found that out like last year or the year before.
Speaker 5: You and the Yam are sweating it out and corn Allie, Yeah, that's pretty.
Speaker 2: Good freeze outside eighty five inside.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Do you think it will will be a problem for the Lakers down that they're just not consistently healthy and you know, it doesn't seem like they're ever able to kind of play together.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I also think consistently defending and consistently league, you know, bringing maximum effort. I mean, they're not as good as the teams above them in the West, so if they are going to beat them, it's going to have to be with effort, execution, defending, and so you don't just turn that on. We've talked about that for years at any level, but especially in the NBA, where it's okay, it's almost April, let's turn it up and be a really good defensive team. It doesn't really work like that. So in terms of the Lakers, you know, watching them, I don't watch them a lot that I watch them occasionally. It just doesn't seem like there's the urgency that's necessary to be a championship team. They're a good team and they'll make the playoffs easily, but if you're talking about the Lakers winning a championship, I just don't think there's enough urgency, especially on the defensive end.
Speaker 6: Donnie, you got the Clippers and baw and Brooklyn to take on the nets coming up later on this afternoon, the clips of you know, starting to win a little bit. There's still ten games under five hundred. But Tyleru was asked about why this team has turned things around and he says, it's easy. We're guys are starting to play together a little bit more. Was that just the case? You think early on the ins and out to the guys in the lineup and the rotation was a big factor. They couldn't get any consistency.
Speaker 2: I don't really believe that they're one of the deepest teams in the league. And yes they had a couple of guys in and out, But when the reason you have the deepest team or you want to have the deepest team in the league, is your margin for error gets bigger. So if a guy or two is out, you can stand and win, Like I would get it to him if they were five hundred, Yeah, maybe I would get it right. Okay, Yeah he had some injuries and bring us together and all that stuff, But the way they started it wasn't that. And what I find really fascinating and kind of the timing of it. And I've been looked into his contract situation, but Kawhi Leonard has led them in scoring the last twelve or thirteen games. After seven years of being in LA or six years or whatever, it's been all of a sudden, they're finally getting what they paid for. In Kawhi Leonard leading them and scoring every night. And you know, during the stress, they haven't won every game, but I think they won what six in a row. Yeah, And I think that's what everybody thought was going to happen when they brought him here. And it's just been, you know, one thing after another and in and out of the lineup and load management and playing not playing, and all of a sudden, now he's playing and playing really well. I just find that interesting.
Speaker 6: He's in year two of that three year extension that he signed, so after next year, at the age of thirty five, will be a free agent again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he seems to be scoring the basketball now.
Speaker 4: Look it.
Speaker 5: If you saw Don McLain and Pepperdine at that game, I know it was well attended.
Speaker 4: Just know that that ticket was free.
Speaker 2: Okay, it wasn't well attended. Petros I feel bad. And Shilding's a good friend. He's the head coach at Pepperdine. I've known for a long time. But there was If there was no Saint Mary's fans, and I am not exaggerating, if there was no Saint Mary's fans there there would have been one hundred and fifty people there.
Speaker 9: Whoa let's go ways wow, good look well of that, note, this is college basketball very healthy here in town.
Speaker 2: Well right, they are hold on. I should say this though. They are building a brand new or there's almost finished, a brand new, state of the art facility, a rec center. So it's a dual purpose where it's the arena for Pepperdine basketball and volleyball and all that, but attached to it as like a student rec center. Brand new. I think it's five thousand seed arena. So it's good. It's supposed to be really really nice. So hopefully that will help them out.
Speaker 4: Oh, they love you again, They love you again. Thank you, Don.
Speaker 5: I have a great weekend and we appreciate it, and we will talk soon. The great Don McLain. Everybody, all right, Don go and we'll be back.
Speaker 6: I think they're calling that the Matt money Smith Arena there in Pepperdine because of all the money he's donating.
Speaker 5: Well, they don't like me there, even though I have the voice of the Bolts. One day Pepperdine will open its doors again to Matt, and that'll be.
Speaker 4: A great day.
Speaker 6: You and I have both spoken at Pepperdine before.
Speaker 5: Matt has I'm talking to Syracuse next week. What yeah, the Cus.
Speaker 6: Wait, who's the I think I knew who the professor is there? Did she used to do sports in La?
Speaker 4: No, it's a man. Oh okay, wear it just go Orange.
Speaker 5: Thanks, We'll be back with your Dead and Alive guid Birthday in the day. It's a frog Man Friday. Everybody.
Speaker 1: Hello, PMS listener. Did you know AM five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA sports podcasts.
Speaker 3: There's Rogan and Rodney, that one is my favorite, dodg Your Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger podcast of record, Clipper Talk Without a Musk, follow us all and many more.
Speaker 1: Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 6: App Petro's Some Money Show. Frogman Friday here on AM fi seventy LA Sports as the Clippers are in Brooklyn to take on the Nets. Very exciting NBA action. Adam's got the pregame show coming up at three thirty. Tip Off is at four thirty right here on A five seventy LA Sports. We got Wildcard football on eleven fifty tomorrow afternoon, and of course don't forget the big game coming up on Sunday at five o'clock Dodger on our sister station, KFI AM six forty. It is the Chargers and the Patriots.
Speaker 5: We're not carrying a playoff game tonight. No, that's a evil four letter thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's better.
Speaker 6: To have the Clippers anyway, right, Yeah, more people are interested in the Clippers Brooklyn regular season game in January than the second semi final game to determine college football's national championship.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to podcast the show and everything available on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone. The Petrosen Money Show off and running in twenty twenty six and a very successful event yesterday in Cerritos. A big thank you to everybody who came out and was born. I don't think we have much left to give away other than the prizes people actually want that we normally give away. All right, Tim, you've asked for the dead guy birthday of the Dad. Bet you think it's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm very interested in this man, and I think our listeners will kind of agree with me. Looked a great life.
Speaker 4: Think the studio audience would agree with me.
Speaker 6: There, let's wry. Let's hear from the audience. Huh, Let's go happy. Would have been one hundred and twenty sixth birthday to Richard Halliburton, American traveler, writer, adventurer. Born in Brownsville, Tennessee, his family moved to Memphis where he grew up. At the age of fifteen, he developed a up in a heartbeat and the parents freaked out, and they had a little money, had a little bit of money, so they sent him to Michigan to see a doctor there. Guess where they sent him.
Speaker 5: The Battle Yep, the Kellogg Battle Creek don't Masturbate farm that Matt loved so much with the cereal.
Speaker 6: The Battle Creek Sanitarium run by John Harvey Kellogg. He spent time there for observation. He rebounded was given a clean bill of health. After that, he would go on to graduate from Princeton in nineteen twenty one, but he found that he had a love for traveling in the ocean. The words of Oscar Wilde inspired him to reject marriage and family, the regular jobs in conventional respectability.
Speaker 4: All that the wild was gay, that's oh okay cool.
Speaker 6: He liked bachelor hoods, young adventurous things, and the thrill of the unknowned like young adventurous things. In nineteen thirty, at the age of thirty, he hired a aviator on a handshake deal for no pay but unlimited expenses, to fly him around the world in an open cockpit biplane. The Steerman C three B was named the Flying Carpet after the Matchic carpet of fairy tales. The pilot, yeah, there was two seats, but they didn't need two seats.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: They embarked on one of the most fantastic and I'm using quotes here, fantastic extended air journeys ever recorded in quote eighteen months circumnavigating the globe thirty three thousand miles every continent. They visited thirty four different countries. Halliburton's literary career developed out of this. He log everything he did in all his adventures. His first book, The Royal Road to Romance, is a chronicle of his adventures at a young age. And then he went to put out more books and more literary pieces. He followed Ulysseses root through the Mediterranean.
Speaker 4: Uh odisayas excuse.
Speaker 6: Me, h Lysses says Ulysses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the Roman name for a Greek book.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, jeez, God, he swamed the Panama.
Speaker 5: The honesty, and you're gonna call him ulysses. I mean, honestly, he swammed the Panama Canal. He ran from Marathon to Athens. Is that a far run?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And that's the original marathon? Whe it's the twenty six point whatever, that's the marathon. He's why it's called a marathon. He visited from Marathon to Athens.
Speaker 6: Devil Mytory, Major Us History, Devil's Island. He climbed the Matterhorn, Mount Olympus, Mount Fuji, where my daughter's going to be in ten days. These and other experiences became the basis for his romantic narratives. He had movie star friends, writers, intellects, musicians, artist, politicians. He was with the who's who of the time. He never married, though Petros Richard Halliburton never married, he dated several women in his youth. He expressed intense affection for several of them. However, his most lasting relationship was with the journalist Paul Mooney, with whom he often lived and worked. He died.
Speaker 4: Wait, so they was they were.
Speaker 6: Colleagues, Let me say they were gay and didn't say it. I went to Britannica and I went through Wikipedia. March nineteen thirty nine, at the age of thirty nine, Halliburton left Hong Kong aboard a motor boat called the Sea Dragon en route to San Francisco. Both he and the boat never made it to San Francisco. They disappeared after encountering a severe typhoon some twelve hundred miles west of mid Way Island. He's presumed dead because of that typhoon. The boat his body never found, so he died at the age of thirty nine. Happy would have been That's he got all that in one and twenty sixth birthday if he were still alive to Richard Halliburton traveler.
Speaker 4: To see if Paul Mooney was gay?
Speaker 6: You know what I can do that real quick post?
Speaker 4: Is that what I read? I don't you know who else went to.
Speaker 5: Kellogg's sanitarium and spent a lot of time there. And it's a great excuse to play the Tarzan yell because James Outman is a thing of the past for Dodger fans. But the great Og Tarzan, Johnny Weiss, Mule Olympic swim or Big Kellogg guy. Did you find out about the gays.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: Historical accounts and biographical studies confirm that adventure author Richard Halliburton was, in fact gay.
Speaker 4: I told you.
Speaker 6: He concealed it from the public well carefully. Once Oscar Wilde to his friends. Oscar Wilde was the tip for me, and it's great. You know, I'm glad he was.
Speaker 5: He found love with Paul, and he found death at sea.
Speaker 6: What a life. Man died at the age of thirty nine trying to get from Hong.
Speaker 4: Kong Dragon Yeah to San Francisco.
Speaker 5: I'm on a motor boat. Okay, maybe if you could swim like Johnny Weissmueler or our next I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's a tough situation at Typhoon. But the alive guy.
Speaker 5: Birthday of the Day, Jamaican dudes, it's Jamaica News.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 5: We celebrate reggae Roy tim a direct descendant of Super Cat in his dance hall reggae style, a real crossover Jamaican star.
Speaker 6: Oh I know what you're talking about?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because I sent you the song Where's that too?
Speaker 5: Fifty three years old today, Sean Paul Ryan Francis Henriques as Sean Henriquez fifty three years old Sean Paul from Uptown Kingston, Chinese, English and Jamaican mother who was a swimmer and a painter. His father Portuguese Jamaican. They supposedly were the descendant descendants of Portuguese horse thieves who fled Europe from bounty hunters and their ship sank in Jamaica, so they were there.
Speaker 6: That's how they got there. Yes, pretty cool.
Speaker 5: And his grandfather was the first on the first Jamaican national water polo team. Their family of swimmers. His father was on the same national water polo team. He was on the same water polo team. His father killed a guy, went to jail for fifteen years, got out when John Paul was nineteen manslaughter, got out on good behavior. Paul quinn the national water polo team at twenty one to pursue music and he won Best Reggae Album only once for Dutty Rock the album, but he has eight full length albums, lots of very popular crossover work from Beyonce to Sia to Clean Bandit. Billions of us for that song with Clean Bandit rock a Bye played himself in the movie Belly in nineteen ninety eight. That's where I first heard of Sean Paul, his high school sweetheart died of a.
Speaker 4: Brain tumor.
Speaker 5: And he ended up marrying a Jamaican TV presenter named Jody Stewart and they have two kids and they live up town. Uh. For a time they were living next door to Usain Bolt, and she was very very critical of him on the hoa online comment posts appet year, Yeah, the next door because you know they're kind of like uptown Jamaicans and Usain Bolt is a little bit more of a of a down country guy whatever, and they did not seem to see eye to eye.
Speaker 6: Do you think it was music complaints?
Speaker 5: Like why is this star all night parties, all night parties people and no sprints down the street like our friend Mark Sanchez got We hope he's doing better. He was in the last few years with Jamaican patties which are like impanadas and his scorcher hot sauce calling them scorcher patties and at Jamaican restaurant in the UK known as port Royal for crossover reggae songs in the last couple of decades. You got to say Sean Paul is cooler than Shaggy and I will proclaim that from the mountaintops.
Speaker 6: He's actually in concert in San Francisco next month. If I know he's playing in San Francisco Peer eighty along with I think Tea Pain Wow and Peer eighty on the second, you know, like he's a super Bowl weekend. That's why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's one.
Speaker 5: Of the few dancehall artists that can really carry a whole concert, and carry a whole album, and carry a whole kind of persona. He does a great job, Sean Paul, always positive vibes, and there's nothing we're more about than positive.
Speaker 6: He doesn't look Jamaican.
Speaker 2: You are of a darker shoe than me.
Speaker 1: No, he's not.
Speaker 6: He's not.
Speaker 5: Actually, well, you know I told you his mom is Chinese. You know there's a lot of Chinese people in Jamaica.
Speaker 6: Now, what happens to that the boat doesn't go down off the coast of Jamaica like they make it somewhere else or the Bahamas wherever he lives.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 5: They might not have survived, could have been like could have died, and they could have died of the typhoid. You know, the history takes many turns. We all do every day, Kate, We'll be back with the fun fact, the quick hits, and the lessons learned in great sports talk. It's frog Man Friday on Petros and Money Clippers coming up.
Speaker 4: That's what you want to watch tonight? Yeah, or listen to That's truth.