Speaker 1: Light A ten.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the morning show. You're on seven hundred wl W. Hope your days off to a great start, and we say good morning to the Republican nominee running for mayor of Cincinnati kind enough to join us on very short notice. I might add so Corey Bowman, thank you, Good morning to you, sir. Hope Paul's well on this Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning Tom. Thank you to you and your listeners for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to get right into it because again, the last twenty four forty eight hours, we've seen four more shootings in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: You came out with.
Speaker 2: Tweet I guess on x now wondering what in the world is going on and why this stuff just continues to happen over and over and over and seemingly over again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I think that people in Cincinnati are tired of hearing these are ports over and over again of violence.
Speaker 3: On the streets.
Speaker 5: I think what they're more tired of is hearing from leadership that all it's unacceptable.
Speaker 3: We've got to make changes.
Speaker 5: So this is what we've elected these officials to do, is to manage our city, and it's not being done right now.
Speaker 3: You know, like you said, there's four people's.
Speaker 5: Shop last night, one was a homicide in Westwood, and this is something that happened. Actually just last week there was another shooting in Fountain Square. And then over the weekend too, we got to see that there's actually six shootings that happened over the weekend if you include Monday. So this is spiraling out of control. This is coming from somebody that's downtown. This isn't a perception issue. This is a reality issue, and something.
Speaker 3: Needs to be done about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you live downtown, so you know exactly what it's like. And you know they tell us about you know, crime is down all over the city. But I've continued to maintain that when they tell us that they are talking, which includes neighborhoods like Mount Lookout in Hyde Park in place is like that. Whereas when you look in downtown, you look in over the Rhine in particular even Lower Price Hill is where we are seeing more and more and more and more violence. Homicides in the last twenty eight days compared to a year ago, up two hundred and fifty percent. Tell me, based on what you know that it's being done. Now, what would you, Corey Bowman, do differently to address crime in the City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you have to look at it from a short term and a long term perspective. You know, so long term, what you're seeing now on our streets is the result of long term and competency.
Speaker 3: You know, we.
Speaker 5: Didn't start this administration off four years ago with hiring police officers. They actually campaigned on lowering the police force. But now just an election year, with all the results of the rise and violent crime downtown, now they're considering putting more money in the department. They're considering the lateral hires, they're considering upping the academy when it comes to the classes and recruiting, and that's all.
Speaker 3: Stuff that needs to be done, but it need to be done four years ago.
Speaker 5: Right now, we're about two hundred officers below the compliment. And by the way, those numbers of what is suggested that we need in the city.
Speaker 3: Those numbers haven't been looked at in over a.
Speaker 5: Decade, and so those numbers need to be reevaluated. We need to know how many officers do we need to have downtown, and then we need.
Speaker 3: To recruit, recruit, recruit.
Speaker 5: We need to hire higher hire, and we need to be able to have a police force that matches that compliment. And I will say this, I talked with firefighters. Their compliment is actually low, about the same amount as far as about twenty percent.
Speaker 3: Down as well.
Speaker 5: So we need to focus on hiring and equipping firefighters as well, because these are the brave individuals that go into the crime scene before a lot of times they're clearing the crime scenes, are prepping it before the police officers come. And so we need to just overall make sure that our law enforcement, our first responders, have our support from city hall.
Speaker 3: That's not what's happening as far as the short term goes. Right now.
Speaker 5: A lot of times people are saying that, oh, well, he's calling in the National Guard, like you see nationally happening.
Speaker 3: We don't necessarily have violent riots that are happening downtown.
Speaker 5: But I think that right now, when I talk to the officers, their number one thing is that they're not asking for help from outside. They're just asking to be able to do their jobs properly, and that's not being done from city Hall. There's iniches or there's commands from up top that are really holding them back. From enforcing, whether it be with the non pursuit laws or whether it be with not citing people for certain crimes the way they should.
Speaker 3: That needs to change, number one.
Speaker 5: And then finally I would accept the full package from the state with Governor Dwine to make sure that we're saving as many lives as possible.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where I was going. I want to ask you about two different individuals. Let's start with the governor. And there have been results, very good results. It took place in Columbus, took place in Cleveland, took place in Dayton, where the governor offered local police some additional help and they accepted it wholeheartedly. For whatever reason, here in Cincinnati, we're only accepting it two days a week.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Or two days a month? Why is that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I spoke with a local SWAT officer, you know, because we have our local Cincinnati squad, then you have federal and now I was asking him, you know, how are things going from a funding aspect from you guys, and they said, well, we can't really get you know, the proper funding for gear.
Speaker 3: That we need. We can't even get night vision right now.
Speaker 5: And then I asked them, you know, I just said, it just so happened that a very strong political figure lives in the Cincinnati area. I said, so, why wouldn't we use that to our advantage of trying to get as many resources to the police department as possible when it comes to our city.
Speaker 3: And this is what the SWAT officer told me.
Speaker 5: He said that City Hall is an island unto themselves.
Speaker 3: They refuse to work with any other.
Speaker 5: Whether it be the state, whether it be the federal because they don't agree.
Speaker 3: With the politics of it all. But this is a point where we've got to be able.
Speaker 5: To save lives and we need to go across the aisle, whether it be with the county, with the state, or with the federal, to be able to help people the most that we can. And that's not what's happening.
Speaker 1: Same holds true with the sheriff.
Speaker 2: You know, there was a lot of success and the Sheriff's department, they came down where the courthouse is, they started arresting people. And this is something that goes way way back even to Mayor Giuliani in New York, where if you find any crime being committed in our more recent times, let's just say people are smoking marijuana in public. Marijuana might be legal to buy it, but you can't smoke it in public, and people are smoking it everywhere. So they started arresting people around the courthouse. Same thing, if they were jaywalking, same thing, if they had a traffic violation. That if you address those things, then all of a sudden, there's a good chance you cut down on the bigger, more serious things. Again, why wouldn't city hall accept the help offered by Sheriff McGuffey.
Speaker 5: I believe it's an administrative failure. I think that we're not working together the way we should. And then I guess I think that there's a lot of politics involved in when we look at the numbers of what's happening on the streets, but then when we look at the officers that are there, we're twenty percent down.
Speaker 3: When it comes to the officers, it's.
Speaker 5: Almost like we're just hoping that winner comes so that we can just say that we got passed this year, instead of being proactive with it.
Speaker 3: I think that people aren't working together the way they should.
Speaker 5: I don't think that we're looking at this from a logistics standpoint. You know, time and time again, So we had the central Business district. What happened at Fountain Square last night was in the Central Business District. And time and time again, I'm being told by officers that the complement downtown is not happening. So you'll get told that there should be eleven officers, twelve officers in the Central Business district during third ship, there's three, there's four, and.
Speaker 3: Then even last night the.
Speaker 5: Chief said that there was two PVO officers. Those are the ones that were found square, not the actual on duty that were scheduled to the PBO office, which is basically your part time for visibility.
Speaker 3: They're not even there to deter crime.
Speaker 5: As far as enforce it. They're there just for visibility purposes. And that is what needs to change, is that instead of just being there for the optics, we need to have our officers be there to enforce and to deter the law or deter the crime, because what's happening is that there's no de escalation tactics. We just wait until it esthlates to the worst case scenario and then we respond, and that needs a change.
Speaker 2: What were your thoughts about the mayor suggesting that the city transit hub be moved back to where you know it was a long long time ago and was proposed to go back there again under the banks. Folks at Metro say, hey, look, you know people who are taking the bus into work, they want to get off the bus and walk into the central business district and get to work rather than walking all the way up the hill from down below the banks.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on that idea?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that you know, the biggest thaying like is last night what the mayor said as well is we need to consider policing the transit area.
Speaker 3: We need to consider policing this area.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what needs to happen anyway, when people are getting off the bus, they need to feel safe.
Speaker 3: Wherever the transit area is.
Speaker 5: I think this is a problem that happens is that with our city we're trying.
Speaker 3: To put band aids on situations.
Speaker 5: Instead of upping patrols on a certain street, We're going to be putting speed bumps there, right, instead of actually having the officers do their job at the transit center. Oh well, we need to take the transit center somewhere else, or we need to reevaluate this. No, it's just it's just simple policing. Comm That's what That's what's changed changes city Hall is that instead of just looking at from a simple policing standpoint, we've converted it into all these social programs, into these community outreaches, into all these things that have nothing to do with the strong police force. And then we have to rethink where we put the speed humps or where we put the transit and that that is not the way that you solve crime. That's not the way that you deter crime, that's not the way that you make your people feel safe.
Speaker 2: My final question I want to ask you, Look, every Republican, even independent for that matter, has an uphill climb in major cities across America, and Cincinnati is no different. We've been dominated by Democrat run people and policies for decades.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: What makes Corey Bowman's run different this go round?
Speaker 5: The biggest thing is that I'm not running this race to get to national politics. I'm not running this race to copy and paste national politics to city hall. I'm here to look at city solutions and I don't think that that's a red or blue issue.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 5: You know, there was a resolution months back for a ceasefire in Israel, and I think the pop people downtown, are thinking we need a ceasefire downtown. What does it matter that we're making resolutions for foreign countries.
Speaker 3: When we can't even take care of our own streets.
Speaker 5: That's what we need to bring back to city Hall. That's what we're running this long. I've spoken with many Democrats, many Republicans, many independents, and when it comes to crime, when it comes to infrastructure, when it comes to spending our money properly with the city budget, making sure that it's going towards the right things, and it's prioritized that we all agree that these are not right or left issues, These are or wrong issues, and that's what the sanity needs to be restored to City Hall.
Speaker 1: Corey Bowman.
Speaker 2: I can't thank you enough for your time this morning, sir, and I hope you have a great rest of your day and good luck. We're counting down the days here, not too far away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tom, I want to emphasize this election is November fourth, but early voting is happening now and so if anybody can get out to the Hamilton County Voard of Elections, get out and vote. Vote, Vote Corey Bowman for mayor. Research the best candidates for city Council and we can change leadership and get us back on the right track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Corey, thank you so much for your time. I think people have to ask themselves one very simple question. Do you feel good about the way the city's being run? Not only the mayor but city council. Do you feel good about it? If you do well, then vote the same people back in. If you're saying huh, not really, well, it's your chance to change it and only you.
Speaker 1: Alrighty.
Speaker 2: We do it every Tuesday, we get together with the United States Olympian and the star of television, radio, print business speaking, Julius Fording.
Speaker 1: All Right, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm great, Tom. It's my best conversation.
Speaker 3: Of the week.
Speaker 1: Me too. All right, I got a great story for you.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk all the time about how you want to help people write and help change their lives through these different things we talk about. And I mentioned this is always the highest rated segment we have on the morning show every week, so a lot of people out there listening. So I'm in UDF yesterday I come walking out. Fella comes walking over to me. I don't recognize it, he says, Hey, Tom, we've met before. He's roughly my age, probably, you know, late fifties, early sixties whatever. He says, I got to tell you a story if you got him in, And I said please. He said, about seven months ago, when you first started the show back in March.
Speaker 1: He said, I was listening one day.
Speaker 2: He owns a landscaping business and does a lot of work all over town. And he says, I'm listening and you have Julie on, and she starts talking about, you know, a little bit of exercise. You can start with a little bit talking about, you know, bad habits at each and every one of his hoss, so on and so forth. He said, Look, he said, I've been lucky. I've made a good living for myself.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: I went out and started skiing all winter long out in Colorado, he said, And he said, I get done after only about two or three hours, and he said, I was just worn out.
Speaker 1: I felt awful. He said. I had been, you know, drinking.
Speaker 2: A lot of beer every night while I'm out on the ski slopes and during the day and so on and so forth. So he comes back home and he hears you on the radio. Well, he told himself, okay, I'm going to not have a beer today and I'm going to walking today. That was seven and a half months ago. He's not had a drop of liquor and he has lost fifty two pounds. And he told me that that was directly because of listening to you.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, she's kind of comments make my heart so happy. Those are the gifts that I get back from this, just listening to people getting better. I mean, it really does make your heart happy when when you watch people get better with enthusiasm. They work so hard, they laugh at themselves, but they keep on keeping on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he said, he said, look, he said, when I first started walking, he said, you know, I was landscaping all day so I could get outside. But he said, man, I'm way overweight. And he said he just decided between drink and beer and just taking fifteen minutes, then twenty, then thirty, and now walking up to an hour. Day said, now, look, you know my schedule allows me to walk that long. I know a lot of people can't. He said, but share the story if you don't mind, with Julie, and share it with your listeners. I promised him that I would, and he said he just can't believe how good he feels.
Speaker 4: He just gave a gift to all of us. And I think the operative word there, Tom is he decided. We didn't decide for him. He made the decision of who he wants to be by the actions he took. And he wanted to be fit and reduce aging and feel better and kind of have fun at the same time, and enough fun to stop you at UDF in a parking lot and have a conversation. Yes, you know, that's the kind of stuff that just is the gift back to me and to all of us. When other people's stories inspire us to do something, it's not you know, reading something, it's not. It's just that when someone else inspires you. I think I teach a lot of big classes. I was teaching a yoga class at the Art Museum and there were twenty five people in there in after class, and there was a little line to talk to me about something, and this man comes up, same story, comes up to me and waiting for him to ask me how to do a better warrior too, or do something, and he goes, I just want to tell you. My name's Mark. And I listened to you and Tom every Tuesday, And I don't know what I like better just the banter about health, or that you've really made me hone in on just the small things I could do each day just to become a little better. And isn't that what we all want? To be a little better? Just a little better, not just a little miracle, not the big miracle, just a little miracle.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, last week we started getting into some of the quote unquote sort of health fads that are out there. Last week we talked specifically about cold plunges, the pros and cons another one, and I'm going to save two or three of these looking ahead to the coming weeks, because I think these are very interesting to break down. I want to start with this intermittent fasting for those that don't know what it is, Julie, what is it?
Speaker 4: It's pretty much time based eating. So what people do. There's a lot of ways to do this. Some people don't eat for twenty four hours. So what they'll do they'll finish their last meal at eight pm and not eat again until lunchtime the following day. That's the most common one. They'll skip breakfast, they'll eat from the window, an eight hour window twelve to eight. Now, my mom's friend, this guy, he does not every Tuesday Monday. He doesn't eat all day, just drinks water, tea, coffee, and he won't eat all day until dinner. And he does that every Monday. Other people will just pick like an eight hour window. So there's several ways to do it, and of course there's many pros to it. Like we talk about everything, one of the biggest upsides it's no calorie county. You don't have to pack lunch. It saves money. You don't I mean, you don't have to think about your next meal. I mean think about the time we spend just eating and what we could do instead in the planning and the cooking and the shopping. So it cuts gives time back in your life. They also science says your insulin levels drop, which you know can help you burn body that more efficiently. And people often say they think more clearly, they sleep better, and here's something important. They feel more in control of their habits. So that's about discipline that they know they can change a habit. And I think even that is really powerful, to know you can change a habit, you can get rid of sort of some obsession with food or a certain food and I love that one, but remember it's not magic.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, what are the cons of this intermittent fasting, because it seems like this talk and chatter about this is everywhere.
Speaker 4: It is. Well, let's be honest. Have you ever been hungry that's when you're so hungry? Or I when I get really hungry, I'm downright mean, I'm just mean, and so a lot of that. You just have to be sure that this is not affecting your relationships and other things. And then, oh my gosh, some people overeat when they finally do eat, and that can cancel out any of the benefits. And also, let's remember it can mess with hormones, especially in women. It can cause fatigue if like you're training hard for something, if you're an athlete, you're training for a ten k or anything, you're playing a lot of sports, And think about this socially, Tom, who wants to sip water while everyone else is ordering brush? I mean that that would be just miserable to me. So you know, there's a lot that you can see the pros and cons. And here we go again. It's going back to what's going to work for you If it's something you want to do on just a real small level. He just once a week because it can be a great reset button. And also remember can you sustain it? If it helps you feel stronger and clearer, great, But if it leaves you cranky and tired, there's other ways to do that.
Speaker 2: So with intermittent fasting, correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if you're going eight hours without eating, does that mean no snack? No, nothing, not even a carrot, not even a cucumber, nothing, nothing.
Speaker 4: And I'm laughing because Tommy will survive. You sound like you're gonna die when you say that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I had our good friend, God Rest his soul, Eddie Shepherd, who was doing this regularly with.
Speaker 1: His wife Pat.
Speaker 2: And I've tried it from time to time and you know, look, I mean I felt good. It is a form of discipline, There's no doubt about that. But like you said, all of us, I don't care who you are, all of us do get angry from time to time. And I just find it hard to believe that if you mixed in you know, a couple of carrots, I mean, how bad can that be for you?
Speaker 1: Over eight hours?
Speaker 4: Yes, this is true, but you know the other thing. It's a little carrot turns into a little cookie. Yeah, jnut, you know what I mean. So it's that all or nothing approach, which it might be easier for some people. All or nothing that means no decision making. It's not like, well I have a carrot, Well maybe i'll two carrots and all three carrots, Well, where are the carrots? Well did I buy the carrots?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't, So I'm going to eat a donut. So that's the other thing. And honestly, we can go a long time without eating. It does teach you that if you miss the meal, you're going to be okay. So it does teach you that. It might teach us all that perhaps we do overeat, that we don't need as much. Another thing too, and you might not be hungry, Tom, You just might be thirsty. Maybe you know you need some water, maybe you're dehydrated, or maybe you need a nap. Do I say that every week? I think I say that every week? I don't. I really do think maps solve a lot of problems. If you're napping, you're.
Speaker 1: Not eating, right, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Nor are you exercising though, by the way, but you are exercising your mind.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the next couple of weeks, so we're going to get into some other areas that have become you know, sort of all the rage this you know, obsession with protein, this obsession with water, things like that. So we will get into those. So, Jules, I hope you have a great rest of your day. You're the best.
Speaker 4: And a special thank you to the comment at UDF. That's really what's a gift to all of us, not just me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely okay,