Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. We're still celebrating back to back World championships, why wouldn't you? And we are jorn right now by a man that was a huge part of the twenty twenty five World Series, a man that many of you may not have known in spring training, but he certainly made his presence known in the postseason. That is the one and only winning pitcher from Game three of the World Series, Will Kline. Will, Happy New Year, and thanks a lot for taking the time to call in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy to here, guys. Thanks for having me on this as an honor.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's an honor to have you on. You are definitely a champion of the Dodgers, a champion of the city. What's life been like for Will Klein ever since the Dodgers won Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: It's definitely been a different off season than last year. It's kind of been, you know, all over the place, like doing cool things like I've heard from you know, like I mean, like getting brand deals and like just meeting people I wouldn't have without, you know, everything that happened this year and obviously World serious champions Uh, is a pretty cool addition to know some awards and so that's that's certainly one of a kind. And so just yeah, just trying to take time to appreciate everything that's happened this year and how thankful we are for everything the Dodgers and everyone that supports the Dodgers, everything I've done. So it's been it's been really really fun to you know, kind of take all in and feel the support for everybody.
Speaker 1: Will We were on different buses for the parade and we missed each other that day. What was it like for you to see the sea of humanity on the streets of Los Angeles caring so much about you and the rest of the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: It was not at all what I expected. It was a million times cooler, And you know, maybe just so appreciative for everything that the fans do. And you know, like I grew up a baseball fan and like I was like die hard, and I like root for all sorts of other sports, and so to be on that side for you know, millions of people and to get to see them out there and how like excited and they see kids taking off school to come to the parade and you see people that have been fans for like eighty years doing the same thing, and so just seeing that and like that they're there to like celebrate something that I had a part of and you know we all did as a team was just it really makes you appreciate the little thing a little more.
Speaker 1: Will Klein is our guest. World Series Champion. Will Klein is our guest. You know. After the World Series and actually the day of the parade, Clayton Kershaw told me, I never saw the final out. I never knew what happened to end Game seven of the World Series. Did you see the final out? Did you know what was going on? Did you do you remember Kershaw being so locked in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was. I mean I was shaking that entire I'm not gonna lieh but yeah, Kirshall was warming up because I know they had a lefty either on deck or coming up in a couple and we had to yell at him in between innings to come in and start warming up because he was like playing catch on the field, you know, just probably was like a one last time kind of deal, and he was out there throwing and we had to like yell and then he couldn't hear us from the bullpen, so someone had to go down onto the field and actually get him to come up and like warm up, and so I know he said like he thought he was in, like he didn't realize we had got an adult play to end it. And so that's like to not be able to appreciate it instantly. It was kind of kind of funny for it to like happen to him, of all people. That's just how locked in he gets in Obviously that's why he had had such a story career. But it's really funny that, like, of all people to not be able to like appreciate it right away, it was it happened to him.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that in between innings of that part of Game seven of the World Series, eighth ninth innings ish maybe tenth inning, that Kershaw was playing catch on the field instead of in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Well, like a bullpen catcher or pitcher goes down and warm stuff either like the right field or the left fielder in between most things like on the road and stuff with like how far the ta oskar is in right field, so like they're out there and then our bullpen's right there. So you know, Kershaw being Kershaw like he can kind of override anyone and goes down and go do this. And so he went down there to kind of appreciate it one last time, and he was playing catch with in between and they're like cursh, I gotta get ready, and like, yeah, we were literally yelling from the bullpen and so he couldn't hear us because it was it was pretty loud there, and so yeah, someone had to go get them. But it's like it's a normal thing, like either a bullpen catcher or like a pitcher warms up with like throws him between innings with outfielders, you know, to help us those and them. But I think you just kind of want to do it one last time and kind of turn into a funny moment for all of us.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Will Klein is our guest. All right, Well, I know you've been asked this a million times. I interviewed you after Game three of the World Series, after Freddy's walk off home run. What do you remember the most about getting through those four innings? And if you don't do that, there's a very good chance, with the way things played out, the Dodgers don't win the World Series. Has well, let's start with the first part of that question. How did you get through each and every one of those four innings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I just there's something about like that last man standing thing that kind of kicks you into overdrive. I think it's like a really cool like fight or flight, Like you don't really get that ever experience it except for like those extreme situations. So it's like being that last guy out there just kind of motivates you even more and just be able to like do it for the city of Los Angeles, for the team, for everyone watching, you know, just drives you. And so each inning, like you hear the crowd go crazy after you get that last out, like Okay, I can keep doing this a little more. And you know, every time I came in, I'm I just kept thinking, like we're not losing this game, Like I told them, I didn't care how long I had to go, like we weren't going to lose a game. But then I was done after four and so if Yama goes, then who knows what happens there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that was amazing. You know one thing that struck me will and maybe you can describe what you were feeling on the mound your teammates in your dugout, they were willing you to every strike, to every out, to every inning. How much did you feed off of that emotion from your dugout to help push you to kind of pick you up emotionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really felt that, especially those last the third and the fourth, the ending there. The first two you're like running like that's nothing super extraordinary except for it being the World Series and you know, super stressful. But you get to the third and the fourth and uncharted territories for me as a pitcher, and you know, you start to feel a little bit and you try to dig deep. But then you like feel those guys and you feel them like cheering brief pitch and you feel them like yelling at you, like keep going and stuff like that. And that's just like if you know, if they can believe in me, I can believe in myself too, and so it just it definitely gives you like an extra ten percent, you know, in your fuel tank to keep going. And so especially like in the last inning, like, man, those guys, I could I could hear them, you know, they were they were the ones to keep me afloat them, and you know, all the fans and stuff, So if they were pretty much the only reason I got through that last inning.
Speaker 1: I think, Hey, when I saw you coming back to the dugout in the seventeenth inning, it felt like you had emptied the emotional tank. How did you pick yourself up to go back out there for the eighteen I was, you know, you always hear about that when you emptied the tank, you feel like you're done. How did you how did you pick yourself back up emotionally after the seventeenth inning to go back out there for the eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a really good question because you always see guys that go crazy. If you didn't last out, like come back out the next inning, it doesn't go so well. But I was just you know, as soon as the third out happened, I'm like, all right, like you know, might as well go do it again. Like you get up there and like I think, you throw that first fish and in the adrenaline, you know, took over again. But like I got back in the dugout, we had a chance at that inning, and so like you're sitting there like cheering on your team, but as soon as two outs of team I just kind of stopped there and brought myself back back the earth, back to you know, the moment, and try to like get back into the game. And so just like I really worked with my breathing this year and like mental stuff and so be able to get myself back in the zone in the midst of so much chaoffs. It's a little bit of extra effort, but just be able to like call myself and find it and be like, all right, let's let's just go do this one more time, you know, like that we're not losing this game. Like that was a huge part of just just staying that over and over and over again until you start believing it. And that just kept me going. And then you get back on that mound and you hear all the fans again, all the all the teammates and the dugout, and it kickstarts for you too.
Speaker 1: Will kleinb when did you kind of click keeping your composure and the breathing to be able to help you throw strikes and also be the type of picture that a lot of the members of the coaching staff believed you can be and do what you did in Game three of the World Series. Of what point in the season did you really turn all of that around your composure, your mound presence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember I had a couple of tough ones play. My tenure when I first got here wasn't bad, Like the results were good, but I had a couple I had a couple one in Milwaukee where you're up there and you're out there on strikes and it feels like you just can't. And so we have like we have a really good staff and really good mental health and mental skills people, and so just I sat down one day, I was just talk talk to them for a while about it, and they're like everyone everyone feels the same way. It's like sometimes you don't feel like you belong with especially in like the Dodgers' clubhouse. And then they're like, well everyone has thought that at some point you do belong. You won't be here if you don't. And then just like changing your attitude, like every pitch is just be like all right, go ahead and hit this, you know, like you got to go out there believing you're the best lay on the planet and just be like all right, like let's see what happens with this one. And you can't be worried about walking guys otherwise or you're going to you know, like you that's the number one way to walk guys, and worried about walking guys, and so just going out there and attacking each hitter with the mentality of all right, go ahead and hit this pitch, you know. And so I think that really helped, especially there in game three, because I could like I just could feel myself like I'm gonna go up there, I'm gonna rip this pitch in there, get it back, I'm gonna do it again, you know. And so just it really helped narrow it down, just attacking hitters and really going one pitch at the time and you know, self belief and just be able to take a deep breath and like slow the moment down. I remember there was when there was one time when I first got the daughters, kind of like wearing my way around, like nervous around everybody, didn't know anybody. I'm just like walking real faster the hallways and Doc comes up to me and he's like, you really got to slow down and just like appreciate it, you know, like you're supposed to be here, Like just slow down and you know, take a breath, and you know, take it all in and so I found myself like really trying to do that at some points until it became you know, second nature. But it is it is really easy to like let its feed up on you. And so just like even that like you we're in the hallway or the cafeteria or something. He said that, and that was a big thing for me too, just like slowing down and you know, taking in, taking a breath and so just different pieces I picked up from my tenure there when I first got there and really helped and kind of it's kind of funny what what comes to ahead and what helps them big moments, but I think each little thing did.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. Will Klein is our guest. I'm sure. I'm sure you you feel like you belong more, especially after what two play to what took place in the World Series. So do you feel like when you arrive in spring training it's a very different air of confidence for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, like the experience, Like I don't think anything can you try to get experienced to pitch in those moments and then like having done that already, it should make everything else, you know, a little a little better. But there's still like the whole like what you've done in the past doesn't really dictate what you do in the future. Like you still to go each time and pitch. But yeah, just having that and just knowing that I can do that, I can you can kind of do anything there, So that really helps. You know, there's like that's kind of a crazy experience to get no kind of after all the last couple of years, and so just having that and instill some serious confidence. But yeah, you still got to go to get pitch by pitch for that. Yeah, that definitely helps.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Baseball is a what have you done for me lately? Sport? That's for sure. Hey, Will, before I let you go, I got to ask you this question. It's not lost on me that Will kleimb may not have that opportunity in the World Series if it wasn't for the unfortunate reasons that Alex Vesia couldn't be on the World Series roster. Have you heard from Vessia after you guys won the World Series? Has that been lost on you? Do you realize just how everything kind of played out for you to even be on the roster? I'm curios if you've spoken to Alex Vessia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, Like that's that's such a heavy thing, you know, for them to go through, and it's really unfortunate, Like you know, you always want to find a roster spot for yourself, but for it to be like in such a way as that, like it kind of dampers it. And like he was on all of our minds and obviously like the Blue Jays players like we're really respectful about it too and put them on their hats, and so I like to think that, you know, he was with us the whole time, like especially in Game three where everyone in the bullpens kind of went out and shoved and so, uh, we wouldn't have gotten there without him either, Like he was such a huge part of the team and in behind the scenes on the mounds, you know everything like he did this year like got us there and so but yeah, like I had uh I heard heard from him after game three, Uh, and then we we've texted a little bit since then. I think they're, you know, handley as best as they can. Man. You know, it's it is as unfortunate as circumstances as one can have in life, and it's really it's really sad. But you know, like if anything if there's anything best that you can do it, it's get through it and you know, come back stronger and so like excited to see him and spring and everything. But I think they're doing doing well now and now just hopefully hopefully, yeah, hopefully they're gonna be able to get through it and we'll see him the spring.
Speaker 1: Love it will. Thanks a lot for coming on and sharing your story. It's so cool to be able to reflect on it now because I know when you're in it, you you really can't. And I know tops produced your first major league debut baseball card. I can't wait to see your first baseball card in a Dodger uniform maybe a World Series type of photo. Any any shot of that happening in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they did a special shill run for the World Series and the Game Three, So the the Game three ones have been shipped out. I think people, like a lot of my family members got some of those. So it's really cool to get a Dodger's uniform one. And then you know, there's the World Series. They did a special World Series team set that should be shipping out soon, so that'll be really cool to I.
Speaker 1: Try to get that it sold out tops now sold out. I couldn't get that one, dang it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were they were tough. I just yeah, I posted a picture, uh you know a week or two ago. They sent they sent him out to sign. It was just so cool, Like getting a hold of it in my hand, I'm like, man, that really that really happened. Like we won the World Series and you know of a part of this like some hard collector as well, So like it was just kind of like holding that card in my hand, it was like, oh, wow, that really did happen. And there's like I can actually prove to people happen to have the card now.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, you'll be able to prove it the rest of your life with that ring. When you get that ring or the first game of the season, you're gonna be able to prove it. Will clinb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited for that. It's gonna be. That's gonna be really really it's cool.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that too. And I know Dodger fans will show you the love that you deserve because you were such a key piece has so many were to be able to pull off one of the greatest World Series wins. In a seven game series, and definitely your name will be in history forever. We'll go down in history forever. Will thanks a lot for coming on. I know it took up a lot of your time. I know this is really a thrill for you to kick off twenty twenty six. Now it's officially begun for you, Will clinb being on the show with us.
Speaker 2: No, I really appreciate this was this was fun. Yeah, just really excited for the new year. I know this is gonna be a little bit creative with spring training, with everything that's happened, so I'm excited to get back at it with the guys. So I can't wait see you with twenty twight six springs. You know, hopefully another world series, so no doubt to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Will Klein will be walking slow with confidence in that Dodger Clubhouse when he arrives in spring training. Will, congratulations, and you are certainly a world champion. Can't wait to see you in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeh, thank you guys, Thank you for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. There he goes Will Klin, What a great guy, what a great story great storyteller as well, He really let us in on everything that was going on with him on the mound with the team. Just really special