Speaker 1: Hey, fire boy, what's up? Get this the other day? Is doing my mom a favor?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I went over there. I took her grill apart, cleaned everything in there, took all the gum.
Speaker 2: How did you clean it? You scrub it, you soak it? What did we do?
Speaker 1: I got that grill cleaner, the spray yep, I sprayed every single piece. I scraped off every loose piece of shit that was on there from the last couple of years. Thing is as spotless as you could possibly do.
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 1: But after you do that, you then want to start the grill and let it run for like fifteen twenty minutes before you use it again.
Speaker 2: Another turn off any excess chemicals.
Speaker 1: So after getting a new tank, I went to turn it on. It wasn't starting, So I went to get one of those long lighters with a stem and I hit it with that. Got a fucking fireball in the face.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, go if you turn it on, if the tank is open and you're trying to ignite it, gas is getting fed through the line and the ignition the pilot is not there, so gas.
Speaker 1: I know how a grill works.
Speaker 2: Gas is just building.
Speaker 1: I've started grills. Don't tell me that I haven't done that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you got attacked by a fireball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I lost a lot of arm hair yep. And then I lost my hand hair on this side, and then it fringed up my mustache.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have enough mustache hairs to go around there. I was concerned about your eyebrows.
Speaker 1: I wasn't concerned until you asked me about my eyebrows, and I'm like, shit, let me go check in my eyelashes.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, So luckily, I think your your mustache is so thick that it protected your upper face. That's that's good for you.
Speaker 1: It's like a parachute beyond that. Also, in my parents' backyard, I play whiffleball with my son. I got twenty four whiffleballs. Yep, that's what I do. I just fucking pepper. I just toss them over and he keeps on following them over this one fence. As kids, when you would play stick ball whatever it is, you would just hop the fence and then hop back over.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people don't have easily hoppable fences anymore. They got those tall white fences.
Speaker 2: Yeap.
Speaker 1: So I walked around the block and for the most part, My idea was to write the address on every ball and then if it goes over the fence, they'll just.
Speaker 2: Throw it back found please return to.
Speaker 1: But I've noticed that those people are never around. So I walked around and there are seven balls back there. I'm not gonna lose seven balls going up this long driveway. So many motion sensor cameras. I'm like, if this house gets robbed, they're gonna fucking nab me.
Speaker 2: No, you just gotta announce because there's probably a nest camera too. Hey, I'm just grabbing my seven whiffle balls in your yard. But it's a good point because vital fences are much more prevalent than they were when we were kids thirty years ago. But also, like a chain link fence, you can see through and maybe a neighbor it could see that you're just jumping over to get your your balls. That doesn't exist as often nowadays. You're getting shot us you can't. Like a chain link fence, you can use the chain link to sort of propel yourself. The vinyl. You're gonna kick through the panel and now you're gonna replace someone's panel.
Speaker 1: One goo three yeah jobs three. King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment. I'm go and we are the Mac and Goo program. We bring you. I like my frown better than your frown a little bit. You're too poudy. She did a great job of By the way, Obsession, I'm kind of obsessed specifically with that one scene the movie in general, great love the movie, but the party scene of when uh squirmy wormy, when he has the little party Djanga trick of kiss the person to your left and it goes to her. I cannot stop thinking of her face as she stares back at not Dave Franco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Obsession, which Goo and I have been meaning to get her out to and talk about now for a couple of weeks. We were finally doing today. I think what the best part about this movie is, Goo, is I'm having a hard time deciding what my favorite scene is in the movie, and that's usually indicative of a great movie. There's not just one standout scene. There's two, three, or four that then become a really interesting conversation about the movie because you don't truly know what's going on the entire time, and yet it still intrigues you. Goo Obsession hit theaters on May fifteenth, this is an R rated horror, romance, and thriller subgenres here dark romance, psychological horror, psychological thriller, supernatural horror. This is a runtime of a very crisp one hundred and eight minutes, not quite two hours, but not super short either at the box office GOO. And this is really why we're talking about it, because word of mouth has propelled this movie to one hundred and fifty two million domestically up to two hundred nine million worldwide off of seven hundred and fifty k. That's right, seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars budget, under one million, dollars, under one million. So it has made this studio an awful lot of money. Opening weekend it made sixteen million. Second weekend it made twenty two point four million, that's a thirty percent increase. Third weekend twenty six point four million, a ten percent increase off the thirty percent increase. And then this past weekend GOO, it made actually, I think we're maybe even missing a weekend here.
Speaker 1: Now that's it.
Speaker 2: That's four. This past weekend it made twenty five point six million, just a slight decrease from week three, but still better than the first two.
Speaker 1: So the jump in week one to week two, week two to week three, that is, it is the first movie, first non holiday movie sends et to have the higher week over week for back to back.
Speaker 2: Yeah a lot, not a lot. You see it a couple times a year. The week one to week two increase because word of mouth and ratings. This did it three consecutive weeks.
Speaker 1: And I'm not gonna lie. I'm almost more impressed by week four pretty much holding levels.
Speaker 2: Still better than the first two weeks. Yeah, it's it's fucking insane. And so this movie Goo is written and directed by Curry Barker. I don't think anyone really knows him by name. You might recognize his face from some social media stuff as YouTube channel if you liked Obsession Goo. He's got two upcoming projects. The first is Anything But Ghosts. That's gonna be a twenty twenty seven comedy horror movie. And then he's also signed on for the Texas Chainsaw Masters. I don't want that remake redo whatever that's in pre production.
Speaker 1: Although get your money, sure, get your money.
Speaker 2: Anything but Ghosts synopsis Two fake paranormal investigators must face actual ghosts while dealing with the deception of their own fraudulent business. I like that premise, I like that idea, and his background is comedy, so that might be pretty fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even with this movie, there really isn't any horror to it until we hit the third act.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fucking creepy. It's pretty creepy.
Speaker 1: It definitely has some creepy moments, but there's it's not full on horror. I would even I would say it almost dabbles more in comedy than it does horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but at the same time, the creepiness in this movie makes me more uncomfortable and afraid than like most other horror elements. So in that respect, it is like a pretty good horror movie.
Speaker 1: And also some of the stuff that he does to add that spookiness, add that darkness to it. It's very good camera work where it's almost he's reversing someone walking forward as opposed to having them walk backwards. He just takes that film and and it kind of like a glides.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, good obsession on Roddy Tee's ninety five percent from the critics, ninety four percent from the audience. That keeps going back and forth, and so it's been duel ninety five's multiple times on Metacritic of seventy seven, So everyone is liking this borderline loving it. Synopsis. After breaking the mysterious one wish willow to win his CRUSH's heart, a hopeless romantic finds himself getting exactly what he asked for, but soon discovers that some desires come at a dark, sinister price. This movie stars Michael Johnston as Bear that's the fella that makes the wish. Indy Navarate as Nicky. She is the crush I guess.
Speaker 1: For lack of her when in a war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's pretty awesome in this, and so is Michael Johnston. Indy navaraate, I've never seen her in anything. Apparently she was in many episodes of Superman and Lois Oh cool, so maybe that's worth checking.
Speaker 1: You know what she loves? You know what she wants to be in?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: A jackass movie?
Speaker 2: I love that?
Speaker 1: Love that first, But she's upset because the series is a jar.
Speaker 2: Sure do other characters that play here? There's not many, not many to know anyways. Cooper Tomlinson as Ian.
Speaker 1: He it's not Clark Duke.
Speaker 2: He is the co creator of the YouTube channel that Barker also created.
Speaker 1: So while I appreciate and people have pointed this out, Barker is bringing his friend along, He's bringing his buddy along. He's you know, he's sharing the success having watched the YouTube channel and seeing how Cooper Tomlinson is in the YouTube channel because he's always like he's the he's the complainer. Sure, he's like, oh what are we doing? This is literally little lots of literalies. I think I have in my head now that I don't like him. So he sticks out to me in this movie as someone that I do not like. Heading into it, I did not have that issue.
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot less of their YouTube stuff, so I did not have that.
Speaker 1: I don't care for it.
Speaker 2: We also had Megan Lawless as Sarah. Andy Richter as Carter Andy rich Do he's the boss and I think he might even be Sarah's dad or something like that. I think it is, yeah, And then we also have Curry Barker as the one which Willow customer service voice you hear on the phone call, and then Darren Toonder as Harry. He's the shop worker once Bear goes back and is looking for more one which willows and he's the one that tells him to call the customer service number. Gu a little background above Barker here. And it is significant because this movie has become such a great success, I think it's worth diving into this. So that YouTube channel we discussed briefly is called That's a Bad Idea once again, co created by Cooper Tomlinson. And so Barker uploaded a short horror film called The Chair to that channel in twenty twenty three, which got the attention of Hollywood, specifically producer James Harris, who wanted him to adapt that into a feature length film. Instead, Barker took that opportunity to pitch him Obsession, which is a distinct idea nothing like The Chair, that he says is heavily influenced by an episode of The Simpsons, which.
Speaker 1: Is Treehouse of Horror, Monkey.
Speaker 2: Monkey paw yep. And so eventually this gets greenlit and they shoot this film over twenty days in LA in October of twenty twenty four. The aforementioned seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. This is Barker's second feature length film after Milk and Cereal. Serial Killed spelled like serial killer, but this was the first to be released in theaters. In fact, it was released at Toronto International Film Festival in the fall of last year, and then Focus Features acquired the distribution rates for somewhere between fourteen and fifteen million, the highest price ever commanded by a genre film in Toronto International Film Festival history. They also had Jason Bloom come aborn as an executive producer under Bloomhouse Productions. And it has become Focus Features highest grossing film of all time and currently the tenth highest grossing film of twenty twenty six. And it's just gonna keep going further and further up that list now.
Speaker 1: And we've talked about like, how how have we seen in the past other movies, because it's it's really once a decade that you see a movie like this where it comes out of nowhere, and the buzz around it is it's crazy, and it keeps on building and building, especially with its box office. The first one that comes to my mind is the Blair Witch Project, on a budget of nothing, made a crazy amount of money in the late nineties, but that had a different kind of It wasn't social media at the time, but like an Internet push that made you believe that the story might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So when I finished, as you had watched it a day or two before me, And then when I watched this movie and then was thinking about the cultural impact, I was like, man, I don't really remember something like this. And then you pointed out a good one which I think is more comparable than the Blair Witch Project, was Paranormal Activity in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: I only pointed that out because this movie just passed that movie in box office earnings, and I'm like, oh, that's pretty similar.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, and you know, not exactly the same type of horror, but a little bit similar. But that wasn't as beloved as this one's being touted.
Speaker 1: That one got six sequels.
Speaker 2: True, That MOO was shot for fifteen thousand dollars originally, and then once it was bought by Paramount, they gave them two hundred thousand dollars to reshoot the ending and made it a little more spectacular. That earned one hundred and eight million at the US box office and just under two hundred million worldwide. So to your point, that's already been surpassed by this and that has been cited as the most profitable film ever. And yes, it did cost less than Obsession, but you know, inflation ya da YadA, I'm sure it's pretty similar actual costs, and this has already made more so I think you can start calling Obsession the most profitable film ever.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that a dollar now is worth a different amount than a dollar in the past.
Speaker 2: That's that's what I'm saying, Goo. I don't think you could aptly describe this movie as Blair Witch Project like or paranormal activity life.
Speaker 1: I'm saying more in its cultural relevance, but that not movie.
Speaker 2: No, no, what this movie feels like to me, Gou. These are the two movies that I feel like it's similar to, well, not similar to, but a combination dashes of him. It feels like it follows in Misery had a baby and made Obsession with a little bit of a dash of Audition, that Korean or Japanese film that's really gross, and a little bit of hereditary in here Goo too, with Nicky's movements and stuff like that. It's pulled from a lot of really great horror movies and horror elements, and the story is pretty simple. So the script is pretty simple, but it's the performances of Michael Johnson as Bear and Indy navarat Or Navarrete as Nikki that really make this whole thing go.
Speaker 1: And when we get to the end of the year, I feel like this movie is going to be nominated for several Mac and Goo Awards, Cinemac and Gooviye Awards, and Indy Nevarante I think right now is at the forefront of charming our pants off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's clearly the shining star coming out of this, a breakout star coming out of this. But you wouldn't be able to pull this off even with as good as she is without Michael Johnston being like such a ship bag loser type of character.
Speaker 1: Yes, And also what I like about him is that he is so anxious the entire movie. Yeah that at no like even when he's at his like is he ever really happy? But like if he at his happiest, you still feel you feel gross with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's really the villain of the whole movie, right he I mean, and that's what at the end of it. That's sort of where you're where you're coming around to. And we'll be spoiler free here for another couple of minutes, but that's one of your bigger takeaways at the end of this movie is like, I think he's really the bad guy here.
Speaker 1: I mean it's not really at the end of the movie. It's really it's pretty early on you're like, Okay.
Speaker 2: About halfway through you're like, oh, he's not trying to really better this situation.
Speaker 1: Now he's he's okay with what's happening. He's okay with it. So also, I mentioned Awards his buddy, not Bradley Cooper. What's his buddy's name, Cooper Tomlinson, not La Danian Tomlinson. Yes, you take those two. You take Bradley Cooper and La Danian Tomlinson. They make a baby, and you have his friend in this movie. He is gonna win the first ever not Clark Duke away right or next Clark Dukey.
Speaker 2: Given annually possibly.
Speaker 1: Like if this movie was made twenty years ago, it would have starred Dave Franco and Clark Duke. It's not bad fill in the blank on anybody else. Once you have those two, the money prints, it's said to go, I guess we'll just jump into this fun factor. Nonegone all this stuff. There's so much fun. They do a great job of They see something, they react, and then you see what they're looking at. So there's a scene where he sees that she has duct taped the door shut, and the visual of the duct tape fucking killed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, that was hilarious and terrifying. But there are and that's why this movie works as a horror movie. So well, it's so creepy. There's like three or four scenes where your anticipation of what we're about to see gives makes you super anxious. You're like, oh, what the fuck is going on here? Because you're hearing a lot of noises, you're hearing dialogue, but you don't necessarily see the thing that the characters are reacting to.
Speaker 1: And then, of course, if you watch and you look in the background, you'll see her randomly outside of a window. Sometimes you'll see her staring at them from way way beyond.
Speaker 2: She walks behind them at one point, like halfway through the movie, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Fuck, there's a few things in here. The party scene is my favorite scene of the year so far, her frown, her pulling her friend back. I love it. Anytime in this movie where she starts to repeat herself like she's broken yep, she does it at the party, she does it on the date, she does it near the end of the movie. It's your fault. It's your fault. It's your fault. It's I really And they do a good job. And we'll talk about it in spoilers because I don't want to spoil any of that. But they do a good job showing cracks. Yes I'm not talking about Max cracks.
Speaker 2: So in that sense too. There's a little bit of a get Out dash in there as well.
Speaker 1: It's a little gold get yeah, a little a little bit also. Actually, this movie does have a lot of the cultural like get Out. It wasn't from a small budget, but it was from a guy who came from comedy and kind of had that lightheartedness while still doing this super dark topod.
Speaker 2: Point, good point. Yeah, I think I like to get Out a little bit more than this. But it's a good conversation. That's how good this movie is.
Speaker 1: Satisfactor I was, I like how it's messy, but I think they could have had a more satisfactor ending.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I think the only moment in which this movie lacks, even though it may be fitting for the character of Bear, is the conclusion. I wanted maybe a little bit more of a stamp on the end of this movie, but I also think it works like it And you know, I'm a sucker for a great ending, a great finale goo. So I do think it didn't stumble across the finish line here, it didn't trip. I do think that it's the weakest part of the movie is the ending, but it also leads to because of what you see with Nikki at the end, that's maybe keeping this movie alive too, with the discussion of what really transpired Borometer.
Speaker 1: I won't say the beginning is boring, but it might be because him and his friends are all very awkward together and maybe that just plays into like he's a weird dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's dark, it's awkward. I think it's necessary to really understand the group dynamic and the characters. It really shows that they're kind of they're not losers, but they're like, they don't have a ton of friends.
Speaker 1: Also, are they really friends or is it they're co workers so they hang out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that sort of thing, And that part exists to show you the Bear and Nikki dynamic because it's like he's really hopeful that he gets to hang out with her, spend time with her, and she's just like, yeah, sure, he'll drive me home.
Speaker 1: Brother sister, Yeah, Halloween. Will this movie Wyane over time? I mean everyone has it so high up right now that sure people are eventually gonna pick at it. And just wait until the Waynes brothers get their hands on this and everyone notices, Uh, maybe it's not that great.
Speaker 2: It's gone up a dog since I've seen it, maybe two. That's where I'm at. So I love this movie. I wasn't sure if I loved it when I finished it, and now that a couple of days have passed, I loved it, and I want people to see it so I can talk to them about it.
Speaker 1: Aw, Quater World, Is this better or worse than the nineteen ninety five classic water World?
Speaker 2: It is better, kid, that going out of my face.
Speaker 1: When life gives you a gentleman by the name of Jesse Plemmons and he squeezes all that good stuff all over you. Is there anyone in this movie that does the same, takes that little bit and gives you a lot back.
Speaker 2: Yeah? So this is hard because the movie really only has four central characters to.
Speaker 1: Pretty Richter who's just there? Credit to Andy Richter.
Speaker 2: I'll say Curry Barker as the customer service guy on the phone. That phone call for me is what pomped the movie up to the next level.
Speaker 1: It's it's great Max credit Union. Who are you giving credits to?
Speaker 2: Obviously, Indy Navarette deserves all of the flowers she's getting here as Nicky, but I still want to give Michael Johnson as Bear his flowers too, because it doesn't work without him being such a fucking like sad sack loser type character. And him it's so believable the way he plays it, and and it's so necessary to have that dynamic.
Speaker 1: If we had a bouquet, I would give her like eight. Yeah, yeah, let's tal about this. Let's give her seven of the dozen. Let's give Curry Barker two. No, let's give him three. I'm doing math in my head right on the tough time five roses left, I'm gonna give him four and then I'll give Bear one.
Speaker 2: All right, he still gets seventy five to one.
Speaker 1: All right, Pants Tent City Excite bike Mania. What got you going in this movie? It's the party scene for me that got me. I loved every second of sitting in that weird her poem I'm on your left her frown, I'm on your left. It was hilarious. It was creepy, the first part of like I want to sit next to Nikki and like, I don't think you do. I don't think you do want to sit next to Nikki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's like maybe fourth or fifth on my list of scenes that really really made this pop for me. It's a great one.
Speaker 1: I think that's what pops man.
Speaker 2: Like I said, the customer service phone call turns everything around when you're like, wait, what's going on here? Because like the scream in the background, the creepy movements that turn it into hereditary ishue, which the best part of hereditary is great, and then obviously the staring wheel scene, which you knew something like that was coming, but the way it happens was fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: It's your fall man. For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac We've been gushing for twenty five minutes about this movie, and I still feel like it deserves more. It does so much with so little. I feel like all of the characters. All the actors nail exactly what they have to do for that character type, because while we don't get the deepest look into really any of them, we get just enough. We don't need all this backstory. It's pretty much on the surface, this is what you get. And I fucking loved it. I loved the like I mentioned the party scene. I liked the ending. I thought we could have done something a little bit different that might take a dog away from it. I love the camera work in this. I love the sneakiness in the background of trying to pick up little things. I love him living in his grandmother's house. I feel like that adds to it as well. It does add something to the end. But thirty eight hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Like go go oh wow. So that's your number one movie on the year.
Speaker 1: Yes, easily number one, I think.
Speaker 2: In the discussion for best movie of the year. Coming into this for me was Project Hail Mary and twenty eight years later To the Bone Temple. Those are my top two. And you Teaz for me that this was your favorite movie of the year after seeing it, and I wasn't sure at first if it was. Immediately afterwards, I was like, that's at least like a thirty six Dogger. And as I sit here in front of you today, Goo, in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty six, I too have this at thirty eight hot Dogs thirty seven. I was thinking, the more I'm thinking about it, I think it's at thirty eight because I want people to see it so much. So not quite a forty Dogger doesn't have that pizaz at the end that I so very much crave. But the conversation and everything surrounding this movie, it's it's nearly impulsive not to have it up this.
Speaker 1: High, and all that conversation is deserved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's really what's driving my love for this movie is the end of this movie and everything that happens post phone call, when you start to think, wait, what's really going on here? And then at the end with Nikki, you're like, oh, there's like a whole leveled, layered situation here. That is a really interesting discussion to have. So thirty eight Hot Dogs number one movie of the year with a bullet So far for Mac and go all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's get too spoilers spilt spier spoilers, So we'll start this off. First off, Curry Barker has said after this and people have started to post this, that you'll probably see a news report in one of his other movies that Nicky's in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. You know, I think they're gonna be able to blame a lot of shit on Bear. Bear takes his own life, so you know, you can be like, he did a lot of this, but she's tied into a lot of it as well, so she's naturally going to get also.
Speaker 1: And this might have been too clean of an ending, but allowing him to take his own life, it seems like he didn't suffer as much as she did. But I almost would have preferred if after she wished that he fucking loved her more than anyone else in the world when he was snapped into that. I almost wish that he was stuck in that purgatory that she was stuck in for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that, and I think it would have been a fitting punishment what I'm wrestling with here, And I might end up liking this ending more than I think right now. He's so fucked in the head. The obvious solution about two thirds away through this movie is you kill NICKI you just fucking kill Nicki, but he.
Speaker 1: Loves he's responsible for doing that too.
Speaker 2: Or for sure, which she's living with that guilt. But he also loves to a certain degree her being so obsessed with him, and he loves her so much still that he wants her to toy. He wants to work through the problems.
Speaker 1: You can also look at the title of the movie of Obsessed and it's actually he's obsessed with one.
Speaker 2: Hundred per which is where maybe the ending makes a lot of sense. He loves her so much and is obsessed with her so much he kills himself over killing her. I do like alsho and it fits the character who's too big of a pussy to shoot himself in the head. He overdoes.
Speaker 1: It made me think of the Lonely Island song like a Boss when he goes to shoot himself and the like I'm too big of a pussy. Int it like, yeah, you fucking lose her. You did this, You did this to the person that you love even though you don't truly know who she is. And also she and do you have that weird hansol and Gretel's story, the poem that she tells at the party of she truly looks at him as if their brother insisted. So all of this stuff that she now, there's cracks that she's in there, she's somewhere in there, but she's not able to get out of. She is dealing with this torture the entire time that they're together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the whole jumping off point right, the one wish Willow. He wishes her to love him more than anyone's ever loved anything, something to that effect.
Speaker 1: He says it in an angry fashion that almost makes it more aggressive than it should have. Yeah, yeah, anybody else in this fucking world.
Speaker 2: And then the instant where it cuts back to her just standing like in front of the house was a great moment. And then it just slowly devolves to a greater and scarier and creepery air obsession to the point where he now needs to reverse this or fix this, remedy this. So he goes back to get more one wish Willows and has suggested to call the customer service line on the back. He does that, and the person is just kind of stringing him along on this phone call, and then he says, do you want to talk to her? Do you want to talk to Nicky and you're like, what and you hear screaming in the background, Hold on a second, what the fuck is going on here? It like added a whole new layer to this whole thing. It made it a little more sci fi ish, a little bit more, you know, more than I thought it was. And I'm like, oh, well, now I'm really intrigued as to what is actually going on here.
Speaker 1: Because also at that point, and you know, granted you should have picked up on this, not you, but him should have picked up on this early on that he wishes that Nicki loved him more than anyone else in the fucking world. Nicki, even at the beginning, that's not her loving him. That's a shell and it's what he projects into it.
Speaker 2: The real Nicki keeps poking through. And then the major moment is when he gets up to get out of bed at like three in the morning and she's like sleeping there, but the real Nicky says, please kill me.
Speaker 1: And that's more toward the end of the movie though, that's like end of second act.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's before she bashes in Sarah's head on the steering wheel with the brick. And there's also a great little line of dialogue in there, and he's like, what's so bad about being with me? And she says, I've never been with you. So you're like, oh, the real Niki is not experiencing everything.
Speaker 1: Once again, that's just a shell, that's just a body that's not Nicki.
Speaker 2: And there's an interesting thing that has come out now from Currie Barker who said that he had Indie film two versions of the Nikki character, and one was that she was actually interested in Bear pre wish and one where she's not, and that he messed those two shots or characters, I guess together for the final cut, and I do think that's a little bit so the ending I'm not loving. And also there are some inconsistencies with the Niki character because of that, so I don't know if it was the best choice. But it also some of the confusion around what's going on is at play because of that too.
Speaker 1: I feel like it might have soured people if at the end of the movie he ends up killing her, And granted, like he's probably in trouble for all these murders, but he's the one that gets to live now and everybody else is now gone. It's a repercussion to his wish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, there's there's something there with that, because he decides ultimately, in order to stop this curse, he needs to kill himself. And like he's he's been a really bad guy at this point, like he helps dump Sarah's body or so he thinks, yeah yeah, and uh couldn't bring himself to shoot himself. So when he finally overdoses the Shelle Nicky is sobbing out of sadness. And then when he finally expires, that switch flips real. Nicky comes to and has this screaming, crying emotion because everything's kind of coming back to her, or some of it's coming back to her, and she's seeing the scene in front of her there and that's a great moment for sure, and that's where the movie leaves you.
Speaker 1: I also love in that final scene where she puts on all of Sarah's clothes, she draws tattoos all over herself and then also I think new rock Star point of the so because I didn't pick up on it at the movie, it looks like she he scalped her friend and put her hair out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you might be right, You might be right. Yeah, you're right, because She's got Sarah's body propped up in the bedroom there too. It's just really fucking crazy and creepy, and I just kept coming back to while viewing it, why the fuck doesn't he kill her? And it's because he's still so obsessed with her, you know. That's the obsession with her causes him to kill himself instead of killing her.
Speaker 1: New Rockstar also pointed out it would have been funny if when his buddy wished for the billion dollars because money, oh yeah, weighs a lot, if it had crushed him and killed him.
Speaker 2: That was an unbelievable scene too. Like that, it takes you out of it for a little bit, but because those two characters are still locked in, it brings you right back in. His friend he has him wished the Cooper Tomlinson fellow there ian wants him to wish for something that will help break this curse, and instead he wishes for a million dollars and then money just starts raining down on them. And the face that Bear gives was fucking great in that scene. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: The one last note here that we have on the movie is a theory that has been floating around social media now in the movie, he does eat a cat's sand.
Speaker 2: He doesn't eat a cat poop sandwich. He eats an actual cat sandwich made for him because he's her little food criptic.
Speaker 1: But can you tell me what the theory is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the cat's theory goo is right around the moment that he makes the wish that Nicki loves him more than anyone's ever loved anything, whatever the exact phrase was, he finds out his cat is dead. He gets home, his cat is dead on the floor, and the cat theory states that essentially Sandy the cat, that soul has entered Nicky's body and consumed her body, and that becomes the shell personality. She stalks him like a cat does, moves really weird like cats can. She's like lingering in the corners and waits for him in the doorway. She's leaving gifts for him. So don't I don't.
Speaker 1: Think that's exactly what's going on.
Speaker 2: I think that's overthinking and it's it certainly can like there's some things there, but it's an interesting theory to think about. I don't think that's what's happening now.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's the case. And the only reason why I kind of like it is because when she gives them the cat sandwich, she says, you know, what's the culprit and then she puts dash cat and you might read it as like, oh, she's telling him what it's a cat? Or is she signing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a cat. Really the shell's name is cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like me, now I'm a cat.
Speaker 2: I think this is a discussion that we'll continue to have as the year goes on of what truly was transpiring in Nicky's head and what Nicky was feeling. But there there are some great moments in here in this movie that scare the shit out of you. But then those low level ones where she's like, kill me please, and then that conversation he has with Sarah in the car where you're anticipating Nicki coming and then bashes her skull in it was his boteah. There's just there's three or four really great moments in this movie that scare the shit out of you, really creep you out. That's like the best there's moments of Hereditary with that. This also does really really well.
Speaker 1: Let's get into mack Sack and mack Sak could be anything. It could be about and Mac. We just watched a movie all about a wish.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's mad. It's my wish for you.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm gonna ask you, Mac, what do you believe? Are the wishes that are used the most in movies and television?
Speaker 2: The money one is an obvious one, right, the money one A lot of times there's rules where you can't wish someone to love you, which they don't do. In here, he wishes her to be obsess Well, I guess he does love me more than usually. That's not a lot.
Speaker 1: If that wasn't Robin Williams Genie though, that was a rule with it.
Speaker 2: Usually wishes in magic, you can't wish someone to love you, but you can wish for things that they might love, like money and status and that sort of thing. You wish to be a prince like prince, tell me fabulous. That's probably a good one. Status in money. What's a third one?
Speaker 1: I have?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Google ai overview. I typed in most wished upon wishes in movies growing up I want to be older. I want to be a grown up. Or when you're an adult, I want to be.
Speaker 2: A kidd You get like the thirteen going on thirty.
Speaker 1: Swapped seventeen again, Matthew Perry is Zach Effron rewriting reality or the past? So altering the past? You have Superman who turns the world around, or you have the Butterfly Effect.
Speaker 2: By the way, I've mentioned it before on this podcast. I don't know last time I have the Butterfly Effect. The theatrical cut, It's fine, it's okay. I need you. Anyone that likes time travel and time warping type movies and stories, watch the Butterfly Effect director's cut. It's so good. It fundamentally changes your understanding and viewing of the movie.
Speaker 1: It's fucking great erasing your exists to see how everyone else's lives would be without you changing the world Shrek, Like, what if me and Fiona never met So?
Speaker 2: That would be a good one, right, and that would erase heartbreak? No, that'd be a good one. I wish I had never met So and So Bruce almighty, m okay, yep, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: How about this one? The devil comes to you, I want your soul. You can get whatever you want. And then Brennan Frazier says, I want all these things, and you're gonna take every one of these literally and then changing lives, so like I'm gonna Freaky Friday.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, yeah, yeah good. Here's a question for you. If we were to remake Bedazzled today, who would play Elizabeth Hurley? Would it still be Elizabeth Hurley?
Speaker 1: Elizabeth Hurley still does look great.
Speaker 2: Annada Armis's who I was thinking of. Yep, that'd be perfect. She's got it. She's got a tantalizing accent, and she looks unbelievable.
Speaker 1: You need that look, yeah, and I don't think someone like a Sidney Sweeney could have like that angry like I'm gonna slap you around.
Speaker 2: Look, I'd like to see it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are all those are all the wishes man. But let me ask you this, mac. If I gave you one wish, a wish will, what would you wish for?
Speaker 2: I'd probably wish for a billion dollars?
Speaker 1: I think money?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, We're old enough in this life where we have a decent amount of experiences, we have some great family members, loved ones. I think primarily what you and I need is money.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is that someone said to me the other day, They're like, oh, you're still doing that podcast with mac right and like, yeah, you must make pretty good money off of that. I'm like, you'd think you think think right.
Speaker 2: Money. Yeah, I'm just I've had that similar conversation, and I'm like, no, we just do it because we like talking to each other. We don't get as much someone.
Speaker 1: Else is making money and no one's telling me. But who knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe we signed a bad deal in our agent's cleaning up, kind.
Speaker 1: Of like some of these people in this movie that aren't really getting all the money.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, I understand their gripe that this movie is making hundreds of millions of dollars and they're they're each getting like two thousand from their original contract. However, they also would get paid if this movie sucked and didn't make any money. Maybe it'd be nice if you could get it. Write writing you get one percent of future earnings, but.
Speaker 1: You should ask that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I also like, I feel like Curry Barker and the lead actress, they're gonna get more roles than they're gonna get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Curry Barker's gonna use the exact same people who use for this movie, and so your next one. Yes, you would love money right now. You love money like Mac and Goold love money. But your next one, you're gonna get a lot of money to do that same role and probably work less because they're gonna hire more people.
Speaker 1: I also read a quote from Carl Anthony Towns the.
Speaker 2: Other Cat Cat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He said that in the city of New York, being respected is almost more important than money. And I said, you're a fucking idiot. You can buy respect.
Speaker 2: I can't live in the City of New York unless I have money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, you make fifty million dollars a year, right, would you like to trade that for the respect that eye?
Speaker 2: So maybe he's like, I'll make twenty million and have respect. Sure, I'd love twenty million in respect as well.
Speaker 1: I just want money, man, That's all I want. Oh you know what else? I would wish for a more manageable dick. This one's too big.
Speaker 2: And then I'll add on my wish. I'll take what you're chopping off. I'll take your extra.
Speaker 1: So you guys are sharing this wish, Willow, and your wish is that you're willing to give some of your inches.
Speaker 2: Combine the two hogs, and then we'll cut it in half and that'll be you get the same second.
Speaker 1: Chinese finger trap. Honor the Armist comes thus as the devil, and she says, Okay, I'm gonna get you guys paid for that podcast. Yeah, yeah, you get one wish? Do you want money? No, we're actually looking to swamp a couple in the.
Speaker 2: Mean of our hogs. And then we both get that.
Speaker 1: I don't know we'd play the gentleman in Bedazzled.
Speaker 2: Too Jacob Loordie.
Speaker 1: Maybe I was gonna say he's too much of a hunk, but Brendan Fraser at the time was a pretty big hut.
Speaker 2: I don't know if a lord has the comedic chops.
Speaker 1: Actually, you need you need some funniness, Adam Sandler, What do you mean?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Whatever? Man, Where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram and Twitter x as at Mac and Goo podcasts every other platform. We are mac apersand go Mac Shift seven Goo That includes Facebook, Sister Tuning Castbucks, Ppreaker, Google Play, i harrd Radio or on Spotify. More importantly, Apple podcast get on their rate review subscribe five stars. Maybe one of these days, in an alternate timeline, we will get you a Mac and Go T shirt given to us by the folks over at Watertown Sportswear. That's Watertown Sportswear, thirty four Mod Auburn Street in Watertown. Watertownsportswear dot com experts, screenprinting and embroidery, t.
Speaker 1: Buble dot Com mar check us out at the end of the week for most likely a news dump. I know you're not going to see Disclosure Day by the time that it is.
Speaker 2: Really you're not going to see Disclosure Day, and for weeks.
Speaker 1: Maybe months, I'm not sure you have to see it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that confirmation.
Speaker 1: I really like like small portions of the.
Speaker 2: Movie tapas you like the tapus of the movie.
Speaker 1: I liked the disclosing in the movie.
Speaker 2: I was onto this from the beginning. Now you may call me a pessimist. The minute we saw this trailer, I'm like, this movie's not gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Everything surrounding the story of how we get to the disclosing I could have done without.
Speaker 2: Once we finished this, can you spoil the movie from right? Well? Yeah, all right, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right. So Tuesdays are goosdays. I abused kangaroos a dam barton you gotta say bye bye.
Speaker 2: I was too excited about the Disclosure Day spoiler.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on worms.