Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on AM five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while Friends, the longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed. This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadacres terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith. The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show. Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith Holiday. People do not lack strength, they lack will. Dragging everybody and welcome. It is the one and only Petros and Money Show on AM five seventy for another day. This a Crunchy Groove. Thursday Home of the Dodgers on AM five seventy. No Dodger Talk tonight date, no four hour show tonight date. We will have Dodger action tomorrow. The next spring training game on AM five seventy LA Sports First Pitch at noon, Dodgers at Giants tomorrow. Tonight we will be headed to Clippers versus Tea Wolves at the Into It Dome. More on that later. Pregame at six, tip off at seven. So we have three hours of great great sports Talk tonight, and we're happy to be joined by the one and only on your Southern California Toyota Dealers celebrity guest host microphone. The next ass he kisses will be the first. Our hero Don McClain, a real man amongst the marshmallow Men, leading scorer in the history of the Pac twelve which will rise again. His statue stands strong. Hear the hoop courts at Lemon Park in Beautiful Seami Valley, his hometown. He works for the Big Ten Network, talks at FS one PAC twelve Network soon to rise again at c AA. If you're asking him if he's driving to the Induit Dome tonight, he would call you a dumb Yes, it is the one and only Don McClain. Back after a successful run last week in Great Sports Talk, Great Sports Talk, Don McLain is here with us on the show for the next two plus hours three hours. How are you, Don?
Speaker 2: I'm great and not disappointed that I'm not following you to the Intuit Dome tonight, fresh off another appearance in Eugene last night. I've lost count of how many times I've been there this year, maybe four, triple that.
Speaker 1: Wow, twelve times in Eugene.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's twelve, but it's it's nine or ten.
Speaker 1: So you're becoming very familiar with the entire area of Eugene, organ not that you already weren't familiar with it, because walking the Pac twelve Trail, I.
Speaker 2: Never went to the Sweet Cheeks Winery before. I found a Cheeba hut in Eugene, which is commer for a while, but went for the first time yesterday.
Speaker 1: Have you been to a cheeba hut in California or is it only a traveling thing for you?
Speaker 2: In this traveling thing, I don't even know where they are in California. But the one in Tucson I went to, then it shut down, then it reopened. I've been to the tim b one a couple of times, but yeah, found the Eugene one yesterday. Went with Guy Haberman, who with last night.
Speaker 1: I know Guy, he's a new father, is he not?
Speaker 2: He is November and so had a pretty good game last night. Oregon actually knocked off Wisconsin, which was surprising based on the year that Oregon has had. But yeah, eight o'clock tip, seven am flight not a great combo, no, but we deal with it.
Speaker 1: So what do you I mean, you're you're one hundred feet tall. You can't sleep on the prop plane back from Eugene. Well, it's not a prop plane anymore, regular play remember the prop? Oh yeah, yeah. So it took like two and a half hours to get to Eugene. But there was free beer and wine, and you'd stop in Redmond, you stop in Medford, Medford. I hated that flight. I absolutely hated that flight. It's like, why does it take It's like flag across the country. But we're a propeller plane going to eugen So did you go to sleep dawn on the plane or did you go did you take a nap when you went home? I know you had to do a lot of preparation to be a great sports talk today. You know, a lot of crossing of the t's and dotting of the eyes to do great sports talk.
Speaker 2: I got a little sleep last night and then a little bit on the plane, and I'm good. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we do have a fine show lined up. We are going to talk to Don McClain about basketball, because he is our basketball expert. And if we bring him in for three hours today, that means he's not going to join us tomorrow. So we'll ask Don the basketball questions. I guess that we were going to ask him yesterday, I mean tomorrow today, If that makes sense. I mean, I don't know if you did. I don't know if you did enough research to do that kind of stuff. I mean to answer those questions.
Speaker 2: Accusing me of doing research for this show.
Speaker 1: No, I would never, but I will say this earlier today. We will talk to David Vase in the next hour live from camel Back Ranch, and I went to now David Vassy. There's like three places around Dodger Stadium that Vassay kind of claims as his own. They're not his, but he claims them as his own. One is the Mexicali Taco Company on Figaroa right past Sunset or Caesar Chavez whatever it's called. That place, So right past where Figaroa is, you know, going into downtown, right past there, there's Mexicali Tacos next to that old theater. Dave likes to go there. He likes to go to Lessort It's which is like a pizza, sandwich Dodger themed place in Chinatown. I've never been there. And he likes to go to the coffee place right next to the Mexicali taco company called Aquella Ria or something. It's in a Brazilian coffee place, and those are Dave spots. And I've been to the coffee place with him and the Mexican place with him, and every once in a while I'll go to the Mexican place without him and take a picture of myself at the Mexican place, and he gets butt hurt. Why because he feels like that's his place and like he found that place, so I'm not allowed. Good. Yeah, yeah, it's a good taco play. I like tacos, you know. It's a good Mexican taco place with real Mexican people eating there, and the fresh waters and all the many things that we enjoy from our friends of the South and this area, of course, which also used to be Mexico. Now. Dave gets real butt hurt when I send him a picture, and I sent him a picture today of myself inside the place waiting for my burrito, and Dave called me an.
Speaker 2: Impostor on the text an impostor.
Speaker 1: He called me an impostor and tried to say that's not real, and that's you're a fake. You know all the things that he likes to say to me. And I want to say this, and I would never mention this to anybody ever, because I don't do this. I talk to people all the time, and I never say a word about it on the air because I don't like the way it sounds. But I'm going to say it right now because I want to stick it to Dave. Two different people came up to me and said, I'm a big fan of the radio show, or hey, are you still doing TV for Fox or whatever? Like two people came up to me there and said hello, and do you know who? They didn't mention Dave at all. Dave was not mentioned at all, And that is what I mean. I don't care what happened with the ad glass and yeah, high song Cam hit a home run at camp or whatever. We didn't carry the game today. That is secondary to the fact you think Da've forgotten Dave at his place And now I'm the big dog at the Mexicali Taco Company.
Speaker 2: Because this is what I do. When I come in here, I ask questions. So does Dave normally get approached by people when he goes? I have no idea, and I don't because that's probably why he's mad. I am very rarely approached at all anywhere. But I was approached at the MEXICALI twice and one of them was a woman in a dress. And Dave's got to wear that. Yeh, he's got to wear that on his birthing. You know what he'll do too, He'll boycott that place. He'll never go back. Now you think, so, yeah, bet, I don't go there anymore. Well, you know where I'm supposed to go tonight? Where into it Dome? How many times would you say in your yes? How many times? Because the Clippers are playing tonight?
Speaker 1: Right? And you know me, I like go to all the sporting events and you know, just to show my face because.
Speaker 2: You're hoping people approach you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the Clippers. Yeah, the Clippers are playing tonight at seven o'clock is the tip off. Pregame is at six, So I'm gonna high tail it over there. I have to do a promotional thing for Toyota, and uh, I'm going down to the end too. It don't. But this might surprise you that, Uh, I can't get anybody to go with me? No way, I got two extra tickets. I asked Colin to go with me, and he like paused, like he was trying to think of an excuse and he couldn't get an excuse out. And I was just like, come on, man, like, doesn't anybody want to be wanted? Like wouldn't. I mean, I know Kawhi Leonard is doing load management tonight, but I still feel as if it's an important Like, I mean, it's an important event to haven't.
Speaker 2: Let's try one more time, asked me, if I want to go tonight, don would.
Speaker 1: You like to accompany me on my trip to the into It Dome my annual Toyota promotion at the Into It Dome tonight night.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, when was the last time when one of your kids wasn't playing you actually sat in the stands at a basketball game?
Speaker 2: Uh, Saint Mary's Pepperdine in December. Trent's on the team at Saint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was not playing, okay, but still you're there supporting your son.
Speaker 2: So the last time I went to a game that my kids weren't involved, and I wasn't getting paid to be there.
Speaker 1: Like if somebody said, like, don I got I got court side seats to the Lakers, come on down. Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean I've been to Dodger games, I've been to a Rams game in the last couple of years, but I have not been a basketball game that my kids haven't been involved or I'm not working in a long time.
Speaker 1: Colin, you have nothing to do tonight. You have nothing going on tonight. You're not going, you're not married, you live at home, you don't drink or smoke, so it's not like you got to get home to the bottle like I do, get home and crawl into the bottle. You don't have anything going on. I would go you got nothing going on? And I said, I have an extra ticket. My son doesn't want to go. Would you like to accompany me to the into It Dome? Even though Kawhi Leonard has load me and social media Matt the nicest man in the world are Ethiopian social media friend. I mean we could be like Matt, Matt, Oh you know what f you buddy. Yeah, somebody's got to shoot all my social media stuff. Somebody's got to shoot me saying Toyota, you're Toyota dealers in southern California. Blah blah blah. That's social media map.
Speaker 3: I would go, but I have a couple of things on the docket for tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah that you can't even think of.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, six thirty, I have a phoner with the head coach of Laguna Hills Basketball.
Speaker 1: You can do that on your way.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I'm calling him at six thirty. He's gonna call me at six thirty. And so I have there's.
Speaker 2: A big concourse area calling where you can make calls from. I did it all the time for the last couple of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where I will be talking during the uh Toyota activation. They got like a cord out there and they have all kinds of stupid stuff set up. And I'm supposed to go out there and dance like an idiot monkey And you don't want to come and do some ball handling drills? Yeah for the people. Yeah, you know, I get my colones out there do my stuff. Okay. Six thirty, seven thirty.
Speaker 3: I have a phone call with Sammy Long, the other half of Not Quite Ringside, for our boxing show. We're preparing for a boxing show on Saturday.
Speaker 2: You can step out. You know, that's probably into the first quarter.
Speaker 1: I mean, sam It's not like Sammy Long's not like what hey, Sammy, I'll call you later. You know, like what you can't do that. You can't reschedule a call with Sammy Long, let alone the coach of Hills, who's going to podcast the show? Pee?
Speaker 3: Well, that is true, right, that's pretty important. And if I have time later tonight, I was supposed to go to Bible study at South Bay Community Church. Our the man just Bible study start. It starts at seven thirty, And well.
Speaker 1: How are you gonna talk to the guy the coach at Laguna Hills or whatever?
Speaker 2: Phone speaker phone.
Speaker 1: That's the CaAl I have.
Speaker 3: That's the problem I have is that I we have it on zoom as well, if you can't make it on in person. So I was planning to go.
Speaker 1: If I had on zoom, if I had tickets and a Toyota promotion thing night and there was a Laker game, would you go to that? Would you change your plans for that? I could see you totally doing that.
Speaker 2: Laker game.
Speaker 3: No, I I still have to have to stick to my commitments.
Speaker 2: Pete.
Speaker 3: If I okay, if I had nothing going on and I didn't have two basketball games to call on Saturday, he.
Speaker 2: Still wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: Don I would go. I'm just kind of sad i'd be there. Here's a young broadcaster with an opportunity to spend time with me. Petros Papadakis of The pett.
Speaker 3: Someone bet I interviewed when I was in seventh grade.
Speaker 2: Right, something you have to take in consideration, though, calling is p will be out of there after the first quarter.
Speaker 1: It'll be pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're not even even if you wanted to go, you wouldn't even get to see the whole game.
Speaker 1: It stay as long as he wants to give him a ride. I just said I had a ticket for him. I bet you, Ronni would Ronnie? Would you go? The show's over at six? Would you want to go? Ronnie?
Speaker 4: Not today?
Speaker 1: Petros? Why not? Ronnie? What do you got? You gotta wash your hair?
Speaker 4: Well? First of all, you know I'm your third option and you're actually not. We went to like being the third option. We have an extra ticket for you, ron Not to mention the fact that it's the Clipper game. You and Colin could come now if it were the Lakers, then you know, perhaps maybe we could talk a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, the Lakers don't have a Toyota activation there playing tonight. My point is that no one wants to go with me.
Speaker 3: I do want to see the new stadium. I heard it's state of the art.
Speaker 1: He's never seen this. I saw Don one broadcaster.
Speaker 3: I saw Don at uh what was that a couple of years ago at the Crypt he was he was doing a broadcast there.
Speaker 1: And that time I saw you at the Crypt at the Clipper game. That one time, Don, Remember that one time you saw Colin that one time there?
Speaker 4: Now, Petros, if you had a couple of tickets to go see whacked a Hatchie, I mean that's that's a horse of a different color, then well yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I have a promotional thing. I've been given to it. It's an NBA game. It is a state of the art stadium. I know it's a load management night, but I think it does tell a tale of the lack of popularity of the Clippers, or my lack of popularity.
Speaker 2: Well, you're just gonna have to wear it, pee, You're you're on your own.
Speaker 1: You can I have an Ethiopian social media Mats's yeah, I'm not sweating it. I'm just saying, imagine if I had like a gang an Asian guy, an Ethiopian guy, and then a six foot ten guy, and Dawn and then me fat weird looking job of the hut Greek just walking strutting into the across the bridge at the end of it dome, going up those steps, descending those steps. It would be like staying alive strutting around town, you know what I mean? Like, imagine that Ethiopian map right Who's got a different vibe because of the Ethiopian vibe, which is a different vibe calling Chinese Japanese. That's a lot of Asia knocked out right there. And then Dawn gives us what basketball legitimacy? And here's me, the admiral of great sports talk, great sports talk. Oh, we could be snapping our fingers like the Jets or the Sharks. Man.
Speaker 4: I could just imagine how many people would actually go up to you. Oh my god, how much of the enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: I could see it.
Speaker 4: That happens all the time with Matt.
Speaker 1: He does. And you know what, I'm gonna start reporting when it happens to me now, and maybe if I'm able to tell everybody how popular I am, they'll start believing me and come with me to the Clipper Go. I would just you know, I've known Colin a long time. I don't remember when he interviewed me when he was in seventh grade, but I do remember Calin, you know from what we've known each other now for ten years. And you get an opportunity to spend time with Petros Papadakus.
Speaker 3: And you turned that down, and you're.
Speaker 1: Turning it down.
Speaker 2: I mean Laguna Hills High School basketball.
Speaker 1: Co right, Like that guy can't call you in the morning and be like, yeah, this is a guy who good mid range guy.
Speaker 2: So tell me who your best player is.
Speaker 1: Like, really, you get an opportunity to spend time with me, Petro's Papadakas.
Speaker 3: I mean seventh grade calling, you would have been over the moon.
Speaker 1: Right, He would have changed the he would have changed. I'm just saying, is the polished that much off the puzzo that you that you don't want to go? You know that you can't even like Ronnie doesn't want to go over it?
Speaker 3: P No, No, you know, Petros, if I say had one day in advance, you told me, hey, let's go to the game, I would have cleared my schedule.
Speaker 1: I would have been there.
Speaker 2: You know what it is pe around here. These guys come in here, they're hungry, they want to get into business, and then once they start going on the once I feed him a little, is not even the same guy anymore.
Speaker 1: No, he's like my lizard, you know, my lizard. I feed my lizard every day, and she's gotten so fat and happy that now like I have to like push a worm like right by her face for her to like, oh yeah, like she won't even take two steps to go eat. And that's you, guys. That's you, guys. I've done you guys at disservice with introducing you to Great Sports Talk and letting you guys into the great sports Talk failing Great Sports Talk. Not you, Ronnie, You've been here the whole time. If you don't want to go to the game, that's fine. But Colin Yee, a young whipper snapper like that, unmarried, filled with piss and vinegar, would rather go to Bible study talk to the Laguna Hills coach than to spend the night with Petros Papadaka don't.
Speaker 3: Forget Sammy Long not quite ringside, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, call and think about this. You could possibly meet your future wife at tonight's game.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, Ronnie, that is a great point.
Speaker 1: Like one of the Clipper spirits.
Speaker 4: Maybe she has a Bible in her purse you have to do there you go.
Speaker 1: We would hit it off right away.
Speaker 4: It's just the new test and you guys can go outside and pray for the Clippers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Bible just drops out of her purse and right behind her.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, excuse me? I believe you drive something. Oh is this the King James? By the way?
Speaker 4: Do you like boxing?
Speaker 1: By the way? Yeah? Are you also interested in combat sports? Because I have a show. I was like a dream girl, got a great weekend show with In fact, I'm gonna be calling Sammy Long right now. We got a call schedule. Would you like to come around the corner of me and talk about the show? Is Sammy Long.
Speaker 2: Any interested going to Laguna this weekend?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 3: Who's Laguna Hills playing Ramona High School? I actually have the Laguna Girls and the boys.
Speaker 1: Ramona Shelbourne is that big of a deal. Like I never even thought she was a good rider.
Speaker 3: She got a high school No, the Ramona rams at a riverside.
Speaker 2: I want to say I played against Ramona in high school. Oh yeah, in the in like the CEE, I have playoffs. Somebody needs to look that up. Do you familiar?
Speaker 1: You think you might have might have dropped fifty on him? So around there, take that Ramona. So it's a no for calling. It's a no from Ronnie, it's a it's a reluctant yes from Matt Dembecky. Who has to come with me? And I have two extra tickets. I got two tickets to Paradise.
Speaker 4: How about Brian Blackmore? You think Blackmore wants to come?
Speaker 1: No? Maybe? Yeah? What does he have?
Speaker 4: Maybe he'll buy dinner?
Speaker 1: Well, I already went to the MEXICALI Tacos. It took care of that. I had a giant burrito.
Speaker 4: You buy you a midnight snack.
Speaker 1: Two different people came up to me, did you know, told me how much they enjoyed me and my perce.
Speaker 4: They ask you about Matt?
Speaker 1: Nope, they talked about me and my personality and what I have to offer. Finally somebody honors me. I'm smart. Yeah, not like everybody says. We'll be back who talked and done about the pro basketball woes. You know I'm more qualified to talk pro ball than Don. I'm going to the Clipper game tonight. I mean I know what I'm looking at.
Speaker 4: That's true, right, See how to Adam for us?
Speaker 1: Oh he's gonna be there dressed like reservoir dogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was Harald Jilda.
Speaker 1: What's up, mister pink. I'm gonna do an.
Speaker 4: Emergency YouTube ball Clippers.
Speaker 1: To stay with us. It's a crunching group Thursday, Big Clipper Tea Wolves game tonight. If you didn't hear Don McLain is here, Nobody wants to come with me. You guys have already let it be known what your feelings are. Everybody wants to make fun of me. One time I say that, a couple of people came up to me somewhere.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they want to make fun of you. I just don't think they want to go to the Clipper game with you.
Speaker 1: People used to want to hang out with me. But a big thank you is so cow Toyota for sending me out to the Clipper games, especially the one tonight against the Tea Wolves. Before the game, Toyota's taken over the Plaza. Come check out the Plaza to take on the dribble and drive challenge. Oh yea, I will not be dribbling or driving. I'm wearing a card again? Are you really? I am going to wear a cardigan? What's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: Nothing? I've never seen you in a card again.
Speaker 1: Well that's because you won't go anywhere with me, Don, There's only four more. I believe I wore one to your fiftieth birthday party. Maybe there's only four more chances to get a top score this season to compete for a brand new Toyota to coma. On April twelfth, on the Clippers' home court, I interviewed the guy that won one of those last year. Don't forget to follow so Cal Toyota on Instagram at so Cal Toyota for your chance to win tickets to see the Clippers like me tonight and many other awesome events happening around southern California. Thank you to your Toyota dealers. We make it easy. The Secret tex Fine brought to you by your so called Toyota dealers. We make it easy. Don McClean scored twenty eight points in SeeMe Valley High Schools seventy to sixty four victory tight one over Ramona in the second round of the nineteen eighty eight CIF Southern Section basketball playoffs.
Speaker 2: Lost my memory, No, you took Ramona down. That was in Tom Harmon Gym on the campus to see me Valley High School, Mark Harmon's dad. No, nope, just Tom Harmon, the former.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a different harm Yeah. That guy played at Michigan and all that bore the number ninety eight. This says you're absolutely right, Petros. Those guys are too big time now for you. You raised a bunch of baby booies minor celebrities.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Bab bab booie or whatever, that's what you guys are. You won't come hang out with me anymore. And punk ass vass a, there's no doubt about that. I have tickets to the Clipper game tonight and I have to go there for Toyota. You. I just read the promotion, and who wants to come with me? Nobody except for Ethiopian Matt, who already left is he doesn't want to drive with me because he says he has to take quote unquote b roll. Yeah, sure, you know what don I do have a beef with you about this? Well, it came up earlier because later, later, later, right before we get to Dodger talk or no the Clipper game, no Dodger talk tonight we Victor Hugo full disclosure is the dead guy birthday in the day and that has gotten calling yee fired up singing lame as Rob Tunes who knew that he was in the musicals and you know, but somebody here took umbrage on the text also to the way that you treated the dead guy the last time you were here. It says Petros last Thursday, while you did the dead guy birthday the day on Lewis Armistead, the Confederate General Don McLean interrupted you by raising his voice, raising your voice at me, Yeah you are everybody's here like that, Michigan State Beat reporter did the coach mc cronin, Yeah, we get it, mentioning his father in law lives in Virginia, and you asked him about what Civil War battleground Don said he lived next to. Don did not know Chancellorsville, Bull Run, Cold Harbor, Spotsylvania, the Wilderness Petersburg, asked Don in the weeknds. Did he ever find out? Don, you're on the spot, did you ever find out what sil No one cares about this but me, not one person, not one. Did you ever find out what battlefield your father in law lives close to in the Virginia?
Speaker 2: I will make I will make a note of it to get you an answer.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, it wasn't top of mind when I got home last week?
Speaker 2: No offense?
Speaker 1: What was don? Not that geez cure about dealers? Your voice of me knowing that is what happened? All right? Finally, this is not related to you. Did you know about the Ac Slater episode that we talked about, Don, You weren't there for that unveiling and Saved by the Bell? The College Years? You're familiar with the show? Yes, Ac Slater meets a chick who's like a Chicano studies chick, a Chicano studies like a like a militant Mexican chick, kind of hot, sounds like Dora. And she tells Ac Slater, Hey, what's up with you and your dark ass skin? You don't look like a Slater to me. You're a Latino and Slaters. Yes, Slater's like what and she's like, yeah, look at your skin. How come you're ten all year long? Eh? And he's like all freaked out and he starts getting into Chicano studies and Zach Morris John Paul Gossler says to him, like, you know what is all the chicanoss is like, I'm Chicano. I guess you never cared. He's like, you didn't care either. You know what, you didn't even tell anybody, but that chick told Slater right there. She is telling him that he's a Latino. And I just got a text that says, ever since my blonde haired ashkar Nazi Jewish girlfriend heard the saved by the Bell bit, every time she tells me to do something with manual labor involved, I ask her why me and not her? And she now responds with your Latino, you guys created a monster, And he wrote, technically, She's right. I am a dark skinned Mexican. So I'm sorry that we didn't play that for you, don but it's one of the great episodes. It's called Slater's War. Slater's War and you can buy it for like one ninety nine on Amazon Prime and enjoy that twenty five minutes or twenty two minutes. Okay, I got a full night tonight. When I get home. Yeah, find out the Civil War battlefield in Virginia that your father in law naves that live next to Hey, what's it like hosting sports talk radio in Los Angeles? Not like you'd think. Let's just tell you right now. It's not like you think, guys, But I do want to ask you about some pro basketball stuff. Don since we're here and I'm the only one tonight headed too a pro basketball game. I work in sports in LA. I do my due diligence. I show up at events once a year.
Speaker 2: But do you call two high school basketball games on a Saturday and have a.
Speaker 1: Conference call with the Laguna Hills coach and have a special conference call with Sammy Long to talk about combat sports deep into the evening.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't, and then throwing a Bible study to boot.
Speaker 1: No, but I will attend half of a quarter of an NBA game the sons of bitches. So nobody talked to me about anything. Don't say anything to me because I I'm the proprietor a great sports talk in this city. Nobody plays the foosball in this time without my permission. Great sports talk all right, Don, The Lakers are headed in the wrong direction. Lebron is out there saying mean things about Luca on the side, Luca's out there foul baiting and yelling at the refs. DeAndre Ayton doesn't want to play, says they're trying to turn him into Clint Capella. They've lost two straight. It feels like they're in this weird holding pattern, waiting for Lebron to leave. What the hell's going on, Don, Let's have something that happen.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Pete, because I've been coming on your show for so long, I never, or at least I try not to rush to judgment on anything.
Speaker 1: While you are always very very measured when it comes to saying. Although with the Clippers this year, you did tell me that they weren't going to win it all. I mean you were very quick, well very quick to judgment there, and so you kind of wait to see if things materialize. You wait to see if things change as a season goes on. But we've been talking about their defense from the start, and so I wasn't quick to judge. Maybe they'll get better, maybe they'll have a different scheme, maybe guys will buy in more whatever it is, and it just hasn't happened. I mean, they're just not good enough defensively to talk about them in the same vein. Is the teams at the top Denver, OKC teams like that and so. And I've asked a question of you guys and myself. Is it personnel? Is it scheme? Is it the coaching?
Speaker 2: You know? Is it individual? They're just not good defenders. I don't think it's the scheme. I think it's just they don't have guys that are great defenders, and collectively that makes them not a good defensive team. And that's why they're you know, they're a playoff team for sure. But I don't think we can keep talking about them contending anymore. I just unless something changes, which I don't see happening this late in the season.
Speaker 1: How much of is it to do with new ownership, Obviously that's been in the works for some time. It's changing hands, Lawn Rosen is moving in, Tim Harris is moving out. You know, all that stuff is in the process of happening. Those wheels are turning. They're waiting for Lebron.
Speaker 2: To be done.
Speaker 1: It's kind of hard to do anything while he's still there. It's it's kind of like trying to fill sour yeah yeah, and just everything right, all the attention, everything he says, all the side eyes and all that stuff. It's it's like trying to build your house around an elephant. So it is a lot of their problems due to that, just kind of the awkward transitional moment they're in.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I think they'd be this team even if the team didn't get sold. I think the Lebron thing is is solid because I think what it's going to become, which everybody knows, is going to be Luca's team, and then they build around Luca and try and put enough players around him that they can contend. But you know, I don't watch a ton of Laker games, but it doesn't seem like there's great cohesion between Luke and Lebron just watching them play. Forget what they're saying off the court or what they're not saying or whatever, just watching them play, I just don't think that there's enough room for both of them to really be at their best individually. And so I guess they are in that kind of holding pattern to see what Lebron's gonna do after this year, and then they can move on and start to build their roster around Luca and see if they can't, you know, with the money that Lebron makes, which he deserves, you know, but that's a lot of money, a lot of cap space you're gonna get if he's off the books after this year.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you. I watched some of the Celtic game last night, and of course the Celtics were in town over the weekend playing the Lakers, beating up on the Lakers pretty bad on the pat Riley Statue night. And that guy from Cal Jalen Brown, the guy with the painted on hair, and he had like a high flat top at Cal. Right, Yep, that happened like that went away? Quid Yeah, that that thing must have flown off his head on the plane to Boston. Like what happened? I don't know, But obviously their best player, Tatum is out. Does it surprise you that Boston is such a contender without their best player? And that and that? Can you describe that Brown guy style of play? It seems like a seems like a really unique kind of weird player. And is that his hair gets on everybody? He apol his hand on everybody. I spent a lot of time around him in high school. He was an Adidas guy, so he came to all the grassroots stuff that we did. And he he's always been very strong like and that's an under People don't talk about that enough, like strength, Like Michael Jordan's the strongest guy ever played against. And I think Jalen Brown's that way too. When you're that strong, defenders just bounce off you. They can't get underneath you. And he's improved as a shooter. He wasn't a good shooter coming out of high school, wasn't a good shooter at Cal, but has developed into a really good three point shooter. And I think that's expanded his entire offensive game. But I don't think anyone would argue that he's the best two way player in the game right now, offense and defense. He at least thinks he is, but I would I'd like to hear somebody that's better offensively and defensively than him. But he's like, you're gonna see him tonight, however long you stay. But Anthony Edwards from Minnesota, same thing, like I remember watching him. I had an Arizona State, Georgia game non con like December, and he was already being talked about the number one pick. And I'm like, really, a six or five guy from Georgia's a number one pick. And it's hard to see people on TV and really see it, but I was seeing him in person and you just saw that what I just said, like, he was so strong in college that you just know that that translates and he's become one of the best players in the league. So that's kind of my point with Jalen Brown. He's so strong. It was even back then that that translates. Now it's does your skill catch up with your athleticism and your strength. It's interesting because over the years we've watched the Clippers make decision after decision and then you wait to see how they pan out. And obviously Paul George, James Hard and Kawhi all that stuff, it didn't it didn't pan out. And then you look at the Lakers situation and Lebron and Anthony Davis and all that stuff, and it didn't pan out. And they're all run by front offices and the plan that they have is the Celtics and oksee and who the Pistons and this like who's got who's running the best franchise in the end? Are those the names? Right? I mean, the Pistons are a lot of fun to watch, they're mean as hell.
Speaker 2: The main decision makers Brad Stevens in Boston, Sam Presty and Oklahoma City. Trying to think of some others Joe Dumars not anymore, the Pelicans. But I think the culture set from the top usually and it trickles down. But if you have a president that that really gets and Brad Stevens is like genius level, same with Sam Presty, genius level, like the way they look at basketball, and I think it starts there with who they bring in the level of scouting's not the right word, like intel that they try and get on guys. Like there's stories about Sam Presty and what he does to really get a true snapshot picture of who guys are of like having some of his people hiding out in hotels watching a college team come in to see how the guy interacts, like stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Because that makes all the difference when you're building a pro basketball.
Speaker 2: Team and you can't have asheads high strung guys. Yeah, and so I just think that that you know that level of understanding and homework is how you build good teams that are sustainable, and those are two great examples of it.
Speaker 1: Hey, don you seem to know a lot about basketball? Would you like to maybe accompany me, your friend petros Papadakas to the Clipper game tonight and into a dome. I got two tickets to Paradise and we could pack our bags and leave tonight right after the show.
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 1: No? Is it me? Is it the Clippers? Is it the drive?
Speaker 2: Uh? I have a call?
Speaker 1: Do you have a call with the with the Oaks Christian basketball coach? We'll be back with mar.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Rip Eddie Money, former guest of the Petrosen Money Show multiple times.
Speaker 2: I remember that friend of the show.
Speaker 1: When I was sitting here next to Eddie Money, I looked around and I said, I'd made it, guys, finally I'd made it. And now some years later, Eddie's in his grave and no one will come with me to the Clipper game. Age makes fools of us all.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that if you invited Eddie Money, if he was in studio today, he would have gone with you tonight to the game.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know how he would deny me if I told him my head two tickets to Paradise, grab a shovel d mac and then I've been waiting so long. Lord Petrosen Money on AM five seventy Still look you're listening to Petrosen Money on AM five seventy. LA Sports. Matt money Smith is out today. He was sick yesterday and he was on, but he was sick. Sounded a little rough. Yeah, we got through it. We played a lot of your latinos and Tim Kas. Tim Kates is out as well in Arizona with family. Don McClain, the one and only is here and two guys that do not want to go with me to the Clipper game tonight, even though I have tickets, good tickets.
Speaker 2: Did anybody volunteer to go? On the textoso, Yes, I assume so.
Speaker 1: And then one guy's like, I'll go with you, and then was like, you know what, I can't make it like I've heard a few a few people are trying to mess with me. But one guy wrote this, petros who would want to go to a basketball game with you? You hate basketball? That's not true. I don't hate basketball at all. If Hoosiers comes on, I watched the whole thing. Okay, if teen Wolf comes on, I watched the whole thing. And those are the two best basketball movies of all time, bar none. No one argues that. I mean, that's, you know, set in Stone. So I like basketball. Don McClain's one of my very close friends. Won't go anywhere with me? But Don McClain is one of my very close friends. We've known each other twenty plus years.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I wouldn't go anywhere with you. I just wouldn't go.
Speaker 1: To Don McClain said to me full disclosure during the break, and I'm gonna say he can get mad at me if he wants. He said to me, you could you could be getting ten grand from Toyota going there tonight and split it with me, and I still wouldn't go with you. That is what he volunteered that I didn't say, like, come on, Dawn, I didn't say that or anything. We went to break, he said, and then it's like, well, what are we doing knocking out two three hours a night with Clipper programming?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: One if I got two tickets to Paradise and I can't even get young burgeoning sports broadcast types like Colin Yee to come with me and enjoy the game. I just to me, that's kind of crazy, not to mention the fact that my family doesn't want to go with it.
Speaker 2: Colin, you need an analyst for your games this weekend on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Oh, it'd be great. I would love one.
Speaker 3: It'll be at as a Pacific What time six and eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: Eight o'clock high school basketball?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Southern Section title games.
Speaker 1: Don't you know what he's not doing that? Like, honestly, I can name so many things on earth that would happen if Mick Cronin could go out like Sharon Moore at Michigan and hold a butter knife to his neck in some fat white girl's apartment and get fired before Dawn shows up and does a Laguna Hills High School Laguna Hills Ramona High School color analysis for you, Colin, boys and girls? I would say the boys and girls? Am I wrong to say that? Am I wrong? There's no you would not. You're You've done favorites for people in your life.
Speaker 2: What's a pay scale on a game like that?
Speaker 1: Calling?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but you ain't working for are we at least into three figures on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, don't I don't know if you want to ask another question? See, don didn't want to go one more You gonna want to one more step there? Don you want to ask them one more question?
Speaker 2: I know it's not four figures that I know, not even close.
Speaker 1: Oh do they feed you?
Speaker 3: Me? Me? Me me? You know what I used to broadcast in Oklahoma. That was the place to be. They used to feed us well.
Speaker 1: I mean I remember doing high school games for Fox. But that was cool, like the Fox Sports West John Heffner produced and those guys and.
Speaker 2: Walton Honda center right, the.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports but the high school football package and the basketball that they used to do the game of the week, and they'd put real production people on it, like the production people that are doing NFL games. A few of them could be on your high school game because it was Fox and it was Fox Sports West, and it was cultivating people and some people were training some people. I mean, they'd have Doug Freeman, who was a great director, come out and do the Taft game because he went to Taft and he'd want to sit in the chair and direct the freaking Taft game. I mean it was cool. What happened to those days? They don't spend them. They won't spend them. Well, first of all, there's no such thing as that network is gone. That became fan Duel, became Bally's, became all that was sold away from Fox. Fox sold all the regionals away, and I believe it was a labor of love anyway. But I don't know if that will ever. I mean, you get your games on spend every once in a while, you know, they'll have high school games, but those high school games are more about recruiting, and they put up of you know, the top one hundred recruits and this guy's and the and then they end up starting to talk about high school players that aren't even playing in this game. But when they used to do the game of the week, they would approach it. I mean, it's still southern California high school and they maybe only had five cameras or something, but they would approach it like they were calling a college game with real meetings and real local fanfare and celebrate what mission be able to.
Speaker 2: Seeing them at Christian they were doing.
Speaker 1: Games, yeah, I mean, and they and I would go do those and they would feed like people would be scrambling to feed the sideline guy. I mean, can you imagine how popular I was in those days, rolling up with Jim Watson and John Jackson and Bill McDonald rolling up deep. I mean, that's you know. I mean you might as well be rolling up with Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson. And I mean, you know, in those days in high school, in the high school football days, I mean, we used to feel pretty good about ourselves rolling up on places. And do you remember the very first one they ever did. I remember the first one they ever did because I was in college and we watched it with a USC football team. We sat and watched it. It was Casey Clausen at Alamany as the quarterback, and Justin Fargas was the great running back at Notre Dame Sherman Oaks, and Jim Watson was on the call, and I think I think John Jackson was the color analyst, and that was the very first one they ever did. They I mean, you keep it going, calling and you do a great job, but that's the legacy of what you're doing. Is when Fox spent money on it, and when Fox spent a little money, I mean, no one was getting rich, but when the production was a little bit slicker. I mean, I know they put the games on Spectrum. It's not the same. I mean, we're just not talking about the same level of production when they have like nighttime shots of Main Street or whatever. You know. In Mission Vah, go into a break at Diablo Stadium and Bob Johnson sitting there clutching some kids, some fifteen year old's face mask it spittle in his face, and mother effing him from an inch away. It's not the same as it used to be. It just that's what I'm saying. I was doing one of those games once with Modern Day, and it was Rolinson, you know, the old coach at Modern Day. We won him an Emmy. By the way, on Fox Sports West, John Heffner won that guy an Emmy. But Rolinson was playing at Mission Viajo and Mission Viejo had an All World Jewish utility man named Marty Tadman who ended up in Boise and Marty Tadman played. He was like Eric Weddle was in high school in college. In high school, he was that way. He played corner, safety, quarterback, running back, receiver, He punted, he was the kicker, He did everything, and he was unstoppable and he was like shifty and he made everything happen. And I remember at halftime, Marty Tadman was wearing out Modern Day and I asked Rolinson, I mean, this is two thousand and two. What are you guys gonna do about Marty Tadman. I don't know, Petros you got a gun? It was like.
Speaker 2: No, what was your follow up?
Speaker 1: I laughed, I'd be in trouble like all those hockey players with Trump's choke. I was like, ha, well, let me see coach fucking uh. But you know what, nobody cared. Like one guy in the OC register was like it was very un savery. It's like, yeah, Rowlinson's not gonna go shoot Marty Tadman. I think Marty has more guns than Rowlins. And that was also the first time I ever heard any but he say suited and booted. It was like, oh two, I asked like a player. I was like, you know, you guys ready to go? Oh yeah, we're gonna be suited and booted. I was like, what does that mean? Like you're gonna have your shoes on. I was figured you'd be playing with your shoes. We gotta change the way this show is. We can't just sit around talking about how much we used to enjoy all the other things that used to happen.
Speaker 2: I thought suited and booted, man, Man, you wear a real suit with boots.
Speaker 1: He was in a football uniform and he said, I'm suited and booted. Now he was wearing spats. You know that he had his he had his uh ankles taped spated. You know you know about that? Don Yeah, I do, well, yeah, I don't know what you basketball guys do with your weird ankles, weird, skinny, peaky ankles coming out of big ass shoes. All right, we got your Nobody did a number of the day for Dawn, did we? No, dude? Tim Kate's leaves and the wheels. We are like the Blues Brother's car. We just explode. We'll be right back with more petros and money. On amf I seventy LA Sports. You're home of the Dodgers. We got Clippers tonight. I'm gonna be there.