Speaker 1: For the back-to-back world champions of baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality. is within their reach.
Speaker 3: Incredible.
Speaker 1: And while others make excuses.
Speaker 4: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this is because they can. They print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers. This can't continue.
Speaker 4: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 6: It's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your inside man with the L.A. Dodgers. It's David Bassett.
Speaker 4: We are live from Morongo Casino.
Speaker 6: Dodgers on deck from Uniqlo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Your Los Angeles Dodgers are 82 and 55 back for the start of a nine-game homestand. The first up, a three-game series against the Cardinals. Eric Lauer on the mound for the Dodgers tonight as we get set for first pitch.
Speaker 4: At 7-10.
Speaker 6: Coming up over the next 60 minutes here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from Dalton Rushing, who.
Speaker 4: Is activated today.
Speaker 6: He'll be relegated for the near future to pinch hitting duties as he works his way back to throwing. Also, we'll hear from Dave Roberts about the September roster additions. Coming up in 20 minutes, we will also preview this pitching matchup, and we'll have, as always.
Speaker 4: Your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 6: Also, Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner are here in the Gallup and Ford broadcast booth. We'll check in with them in just a minute. But Sunday in Detroit, as the Dodgers ended that six-game East Coast road trip with a win, Tyler Glasnow was dominant in seven innings for the Dodgers. He allowed just one run on two hits with six strikeouts.
Speaker 4: And certainly.
Speaker 6: had an opportunity to go deeper into the game, if not for the Dodgers really extending that lead late. The Dodger offense, which has been a no-show lately, scored first in the top of the fourth inning. Miguel Rojas, a sacrifice fly after Freddie Freeman, went first to third. The Tigers answered right back in the bottom of that inning with Kevin McGonigal tying the game with an RBI single, a great piece of hitting. Going the other way with the pitch. But in the sixth inning, the Dodgers got to Frambois Valdez. It started with a milestone hit from Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 7: Still ball and two strikes for Valdez against Freeman.
Speaker 1: And here's the pitch.
Speaker 7: Freeman ropes it to right field. That's down for a hit. It's going to get all the way to the corner. Freeman's going to have two. And he'll have it standing up. And with that one swing, he passes.
Speaker 4: Mr.
Speaker 7: Cub, Ernie Banks on the all-time hit list. He stands alone, 89th all-time.
Speaker 1: And, of course, it happens with a double.
Speaker 6: Freddie Freeman now with 2,584 career hits, tying in with Reggie Jackson as far as the hits list in Major League Baseball history, and also something to keep in mind with only 25 games to go, Freddie Freeman is only five extra base hits from 1,000 in his Hall of Fame caliber career. Only 39 other players have ever achieve that milestone. So with Freddie in scoring position, could the Dodgers drive him in? Teoscar Hernandez said yes.
Speaker 1: Valdez is 0-1.
Speaker 7: Teoscar tees off in the air to deep left field.
Speaker 1: Tail time here in Motown. Oh, a long home run.
Speaker 7: For Teoscar Hernandez to break the tie and make it 3-1 Dodgers here in the top of the sixth.
Speaker 4: 434 feet.
Speaker 7: And Mo, what did we say at the outset of this series? This felt like a spot for Teo to come to life. Here he is in the finale.
Speaker 6: Hopefully that's a sign of things to come for Teoscar Hernandez, who only has 12 home runs this season.
Speaker 4: That was his first since August 3rd.
Speaker 6: And that was our top-tier play of the game brought to you by Arco, quality top-tier gas for less. So the Dodgers were up 3-1 in the eighth inning. They would tag on a few more and take a 6-1 lead into the eighth inning after Glass now went seven strong innings. The bullpen was able to get the final six outs between Kyle Hurt and Seth Halverson. So the Dodgers win on Sunday 6-1 and take two out of three innings. from Detroit to finish off that six-game road trip. The Dodgers are one game ahead of the Braves as far as that number two seed, as far as the National League playoff picture goes. And after a day off yesterday, they are back in action tonight to begin the nine-game homestand.
Speaker 4: With the St. Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 6: Let's check in for the first time today with Rick Munday and Charlie Steiner, guys.
Speaker 8: All right, David, the Dodgers are back home, and along with them, Will Smith, who will be starting tonight. This is game 138. 25 games and 27 days remain in the regular season, and the Cardinals are in for a three-game set. Mo, it's the first of September. The Dodgers have little time to waste. They have added to the roster. Big story, of course, is the return of Will Smith. Justin Robleski is back. Alex Freeland as well.
Speaker 4: A couple others.
Speaker 8: But the key is now the Dodgers have run out of wiggle room.
Speaker 5: This is serious stuff. Yeah, this is put-up time. And the Dodgers did not play particularly well, did not hit well at all in just the recent road trip where they only won two of the six games. This is a ball club that has not been scoring runs from really top to bottom. And you can start at the top. I mean, for Shohei Otani, the road trip hit 148. He's having some difficulty with the swing, at least it appears. Not talking about the knee interfering with the swing, with the arm in the pitching, yes. But I have a feeling that that left knee is a little uncomfortable. That's the back knee because it's not the same swing that we're seeing right now. So the stages set in this Dodger ball club. OK, they're getting people back and getting them healthy. And the return of Will Smith is a huge, huge addition to this lineup. So this is the great opportunity for the team to start pressing that button again, because the difference between hitting and not hitting, it's not like going to the wall and hitting a light switch. It's something it has to work on. and work on, and hopefully it's going to just kind of gel together now.
Speaker 8: And thankfully, August is in the rearview mirror. The Dodgers 13-14, first losing month since July of last year. And you were talking about the hitting just in the month of August. Betts 257, which is up. Freeman, 299. He's always around 300. But then you have Otani. He's hit 241 in the past month. Tucker, 195. Edmund, 189. And so the hitting has been an issue. The starters have been terrific. Bullpen has been solid. But they've got to get some runs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and one of the positive things we're hoping is now building upon is Teosca Hernandez. You know, the last seven games, hitting almost 270, hit a home run in the final game of the series. That took place in Detroit. Hopefully that's a sign of good things to happen. Also, Alex Freeland. was one of the guys that was recalled. He's going to start bat ninth and play at second base. And that means that now it's going to be Tommy Edmond that will slide into center field and play that position. It's going to be interesting to see how Dave Roberts manages this lineup. Not only who's going to play, but the batting order that he's going to place them.
Speaker 8: Against a Cardinal team that's 68-70 this year. The starters tonight is going to be Eric Lauer, who whenever he throws out there on the hill, the Dodgers seem to win. And Michael McGreevy is going to be getting the start for the Cardinals. He's from San Clemente. We'll talk about them a little bit later on in the pregame, David. Oh, look forward to it.
Speaker 6: Great to have Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner together tonight for the first of nine games at Dodger Stadium. As we count you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. Order your Shakey's Pizza, Chicken and Mojos now at Shakey's.com. Coming up later in the hour, we will catch up with Dalton Rushing, plus... You'll hear from Dave Roberts as we continue live from Dodger Stadium, leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals at 7-10. I'm David Basset, and this is the Back-to-Back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 1: On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: David Basset live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium getting set for the Dodgers and Cardinals. Eric Lauer against Michael McGreevy. First pitch coming up at 7-10.
Speaker 2: This is the Otani Rewind. Presented by Mikado Shochu.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been a quiet few days.
Speaker 6: Weeks for Shohei Otani, not a lot of highlights, but obviously still in the MVP race going up against Pete Crow Armstrong. Otani was 0 for 5 with two strikeouts on Sunday and is mired in a 5 for 42 slump with no home runs and 15 strikeouts. I was talking to Andrew Friedman earlier today. The good news is Friedman does not believe that Otani is dealing with any physical issues that's affecting him at the plate. He just needs to dial it back in. Every hitter goes through a slump. So that is the good news, and we'll see if Otani can get back on track. track starting tonight. The Otani Rewind brought to you by Nikaido Shochu, the official Shochu of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Discover Nikaido, discover Shochu.
Speaker 1: This is Kiersten's Corner with Kiersten Watson.
Speaker 6: All right, it is Kirsten's Corner in the Dodger dugout brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today and your car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at carsforkids.org. That's cars with a K. Well, Kirsten and I had some fun times with Blake Snell in the clubhouse. He was showing us all of his cologne bottles. Would you say over or under the amount of perfume bottles you have, Kirsten?
Speaker 9: I actually think over, if I'm being honest. I would say I have... I have them all on a shelf laid out. I probably have about 12 bottles. And I would say that Blake, I'm going to go that he had more. Only in his locker here, so it makes me imagine what the collection at home looks like. So regardless, his collection is over.
Speaker 6: Were you surprised that that's another hidden personality trait, smelling good?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I don't want to say surprise, because I will say I have always noticed.
Speaker 1: Oh, hi, Will.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 9: I have noticed that he always has a nice scent whenever we have to go to his locker for post-game interviews and things like that, because... When we are talking to them, they're almost ready to be leaving at that point, so they've kind of done their whole post-game routine. And I've always noticed nice scents. So I knew that he liked cologne, but I did not know the extent. And so learning today that he likes to layer different types, whether it's him, Miguel Rojas, I think in our video room, P.D. Montero, he's obsessed with different colognes. So getting to know the guys in that side has been really fun, and seeing which... either scent or style designer that they really kind of lean towards. It's been fun to learn.
Speaker 6: I got to tell you, the two best smelling Dodgers over the course of the last 15 years I've been around, Juan Uribe and Matt Kemp. And there was a cloud, a cloud of perfume around them.
Speaker 9: A cloud. So was it too much or was it like it.
Speaker 1: Was too much?
Speaker 6: Even after the game, it's like they just stepped out of the shower.
Speaker 9: So you knew wherever they were. I will say whenever I do my pregame hit, so in the dugout, and it tends to be right as guys are coming up into the dugout preparing for first pitch.
Speaker 1: And I always know.
Speaker 9: when Miguel Rojas is nearby because he always has like a fresh like game cologne on and then you know who else it was Bobby Miller Bobby Miller wore a lot of cologne before on his start days and so he would come up these stairs closest to the home plate side and when you come up the stairs you'd get a whiff and that's how you knew all right Bobby's ready he's getting ready so those for me are probably the two with like The most sent.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 6: I love sharing this side of the guys. We'll talk baseball tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 9: I think this is what the people want to know about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 9: What is your favorite player's go-to scent?
Speaker 4: Because what is it?
Speaker 9: You look good, you feel good, you play good.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 4: Kirsten, how am I smelling these days? Very nice. Thank you. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 9: I'll see you tomorrow, Dave.
Speaker 6: Or you'll see her after the game on Sportsnet LA after the Dodgers win. And still to come here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We'll preview the pitching matchup. I'll go one-on-one with Dalton Rushing. But up next, we'll get you the latest Dodger injury report. And there is good news as we continue from Dodger Stadium. First pitch coming up at 7-10. I'm David Vasse. And this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 1: On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 4: All season long.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up from Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: First pitch at 7-10.
Speaker 6: I'm David Basset, and we are getting ready for first pitch inside Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. Dodgers Cardinals, Morongo Casino, Resort and Spa. Grand slam for good times. It's Eric Lauer going up against Michael McGreevy from San Clemente.
Speaker 4: First pitch at 7-10.
Speaker 1: This is the L.A. Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 6: This Dodger Injury Report presented by UCLA Health, the official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Well, with all the September call-ups, we never really got any clarity on the status of Roki Sasaki, who was placed on the I.L. while the Dodgers were on that last road trip because he exited his last start with a blister on his right middle finger.
Speaker 4: So maybe we'll.
Speaker 6: Get more news about Rokey and the blister and whatever else may be going on with him as the homestand goes along. Spotted Andy Pahez in the Dodger Clubhouse today. He had a huge bandage over his left hand because Dr. Shin from Curlin Jobe performed a procedure that put a screw in his left hand to try to accelerate the healing. He should be back before the end of the regular season, but if that happens, it would be one of the final five games of the regular season. Good news, Edwin Diaz and Justin Robleski both activated today, but Will Klein and Blake Trinan are still on the injured list. All right, let's head downstairs right now to hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts down in the dugout.
Speaker 4: Anything else for Dave? Dave, do you think... Other questions for Dave?
Speaker 1: Dave, can you just describe... Dave, can you talk about the pressure? In the dugout with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Concordia University, Irvine's Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, I think that, you know, we've made some changes over the course of 24 hours. Um, you know, it's good to get Justin back, um, adding another pitcher. So he'll be in the bullpen. Um, you know, Dalton is back continuing his progression with, uh, the arm, uh, and that buildup, but, uh, he's going to be used as a pinch hitter. And so with him, it'll probably, uh, you know, be a three player move if we use them. Um, and then with, uh, Will, It's good to get him back, certainly. And, you know, I think the plan for this series is every other day. So, yeah, so he'll catch twice against the Cardinals and then we'll sort of go from there. Good to get him back. And then with Freeland, he's back now and he'll play second base and verse some right-handers. And, you know, for me also, just kind of figuring out a way to, you know, Mix and some other guys, but I would say for the time being, I can see him playing, you know, a good bit first right.
Speaker 6: Alex Freeland is starting at second base. Tommy Edmond is starting in center field and against righties. That may be the plan moving forward. Edmond in center, Alex Freeland at second base. That's Dave Roberts down in the dugout. As you heard, great coaches build great teams, and great coaching starts with great leadership. Concordia University Irvine Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration a $ 1, 000 scholarship.
Speaker 4: For new students.
Speaker 6: Find out more at cui.edu slash coaching. When we continue live from Dodger Stadium inside the Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck show, we will dive deeper in the roster moves the Dodgers made before tonight's game. Lauer versus McGreevy is the pitching matchup tonight. First pitch at 710 on the Dodgers audio network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: David Vasse, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium, getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals, the beginning of a nine-game homestand. Three with the Cardinals, three with the Nationals, and three more with the Reds. First pitch tonight is coming up at 7-10, Dodger baseball, brought to you by El Pato. Born in L.A., made for your game day, El Pato brings authentic Mexican-style tomato sauces and Salsas and hot sauces, El Pato gourmet in a can. All right, so today is September 1st. Rosters can expand by two. Teams can add one extra position player and one pitcher. So the Dodgers did that in the form of Alex Freeland as their position player and also in the form of Justin Robleski as who was activated off the injured list in conjunction with the rosters expanding. Many of you are wondering whether or not the Dodgers would add a left-handed hitting outfielder, whether it be James Tibbs or Josue DePaula. That seemed to be less likely because the Dodgers do not need to add any one of those two to the 40-man roster. And from what I understand, the Dodgers are happy with the growth and development of DePaula defensively, but still, he has some ways to go to grow maturity-wise and also defensively, but he can hit, and it won't be long until he's at Dodgers Stadium probably next year. James Tibbs, who has had a great year at Oklahoma City, just isn't part of the 40-man roster right now. And the Dodgers believe in Teoscar Hernandez, and obviously Kyle Tucker has right field.
Speaker 4: As far as center field goes.
Speaker 6: Now, Tommy Edmond and Kike Hernandez will split timeout there because Alec Thomas and Ben Rortbitt were designated for assignment to make room for for Dalton Rushing and Alex Freeland.
Speaker 4: So Freeland will get a lot.
Speaker 6: Of time at second base again, and Edmund and Kike will split center field. And Dalton Rushing is available off the bench. He's going to join us a little bit later in the show, and Andrew Friedman and the Dodgers are pleasantly surprised and optimistic that Rushing will avoid surgery on that right throwing elbow and may even be able to throw and catch Dalton By the end of the regular season, so you'll hear from rushing coming up in a little bit, but as far as the Dodgers go, they certainly have moved the pieces around a little bit. but certainly sticking with the core group that have done it all year long. Dodger Baseball brought to you by Ford Summer Sales Event.
Speaker 4: Don't wait.
Speaker 6: Hurry in now for the best offers of the year. Go to buyfordnow.com or your Southern California Ford dealer for more information. Ford, official vehicle of Major League Baseball. Also, Justin Robleski, he is not back in the rotation. He is going to pitch out of the bullpen. He last pitched for Oklahoma City on Saturday. He piggybacked Emmitt Sheehan, so I wouldn't be surprised if Robleski comes into this game tonight after Lauer. All right, when we continue on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. Dalton Rushing will join us. Plus, we'll break down this pitching matchup. Up next, your Dodgers magical moment. And the Dodgers and Cardinals are getting set for first pitch at 7-10.
Speaker 4: Great to be back in L.A. I'm David Basset, and this is the.
Speaker 6: Back-to-Back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on 10.
Speaker 1: On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: David Vasse, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium, getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Eric Lauer against Michael McGreevey, first pitch at 7-10. Hot dogs here.
Speaker 4: It's not a ball game without a hot dog. Who wants a hot dog?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hoffie magical moment.
Speaker 4: It's magical.
Speaker 1: It's magical. Presented by Hoffie Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: Let's go back to June 2nd, 2021. Dodgers Cardinals here at Dodger Stadium. The Dodger offense unloaded on St. Louis' pitching staff. Three balls and no strikes. Barnes at third, Betts at second, Turner at first. Woodford set and delivers. And a fly ball to right field. Williams going back to the wall. At the wall, he jumps.
Speaker 4: A grand slam.
Speaker 6: 11 runs for the Dodgers in the first.
Speaker 4: Cody Bellinger, a belly bomb.
Speaker 6: His first inning grand slam off of Jake Woodford was just the beginning that beautiful summer day. The Dodgers scoring 11 runs in the first inning. Their most runs in one inning of a regular season game since moving to Los Angeles. Dodgers went on to beat the Cardinals that day, of course. This Hoppy magical moment brought to you by Hoppy Hot Dogs. Hoppy, SoCal's local treasure for nearly 100 years. Hoppy Hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue live from Dodger Stadium on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. Rick Monday's favorite part of the day. He gets to talk baseball with me. He's been trying to keep his excitement to, you know, a tempered point, but it's right around the corner.
Speaker 4: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 6: David Vasse and the Dodgers, back-to-back, World Series champion audio network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Cardinals. First pitch coming up at 7-10. Eric Lauer and Michael McGreevy. The pitching matchup tonight. It's time for the Verizon startup. We are now 35 minutes from the start of the game. Now at Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your SoCal Verizon store today. Still to come, we'll get the keys to the game and Dalton Rushing will join us.
Speaker 2: And now, joined by David Massé, here's L.A. Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger, Rick Munday.
Speaker 6: Well, Rick, it's great to be back home, a nine-game homestand, and Dodgers and Cardinals, it's a very historic rivalry.
Speaker 5: You know, David, it's a pleasure to listen to the pregame show because you never know exactly what you're going to learn. And to learn about.
Speaker 1: Cologne....
Speaker 5: What you neglected to share with Kirsten is the fact that you got showered with some cologne today by someone.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: Blake Snell has a variety of 10 different colognes in his locker, and he picked one out that he thought would be the best for me.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I'm going to walk around the stadium. He said so many people are going to smell you and love you when you walk around the stadium.
Speaker 5: Well, I got news for you. There are four of us presently in the booth, and you're the only one that knows that you had any cologne on you. So congratulations on the in-depth reporting, and I'm glad you did a little reporting participation.
Speaker 4: Two thumbs up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. We'll go with that.
Speaker 6: Rick, throughout my entire life here in L.A., growing up on Dodger Baseball, I always remember Vin Scully and yourself bringing up how close this rivalry between the Dodgers and Cardinals has been within one, two, three games of each other. I know it's the Giants and Dodgers, but the Cardinals and Dodgers certainly rank up there as well.
Speaker 5: Over the years, there's no question about it. And I got a revamping of that thought recently. in the Hall of Fame induction weekend in Cooperstown. There was a golf tournament. We were back there, and it was the second trip back with the flag being on display. But the story is that I played golf with, and we were in the same cart together, with Ozzie Smith, the Wizard of Oz, Hall of Fame shortstop. We started with San Diego and then went to St. Louis, of course. But he was talking about, during that round of golf, about, The history of the Dodgers against the St.
Speaker 4: Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that I brought up to Ozzie is something that we have talked about. There was about a five-year period in there, not that long ago, that the St. Louis Cardinals did not appear to be the St. Louis Cardinals as an organization from what we saw on the field at the major league level. And here's what I'm talking about. Fundamentally, over the years and over decades, they have been absolutely spot on. Very similar to the Dodgers. You know, Dodgers years ago, they had this book as the Dodgers way to play baseball. Well, the Cardinals were that way. Fundamentally sound. They very seldom beat themselves. And then we saw a period of about four or five years that it appeared to be a different technology or lack thereof on the field by the Cardinals organization. Well, now they are getting back on track and they've got some very young players and we're going to see a couple of them here tonight. Another one may be available on Thursday with an injury for a couple of days as well. But the Cardinals, you start to look at the age of some of the younger players, and I have a feeling that that rivalry is going to come back again, even though they are in two different divisions.
Speaker 6: When you talk about identities of franchises like the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cardinals, what is the identity of the St.
Speaker 4: Louis Cardinals as an organization that you're describing?
Speaker 5: I think maybe, and this is from the outside looking in. I have no idea what their plans are, or we don't see them on a consistent basis. What I see is trying to get back on track, trying to do things. And I think if you look at it, we've heard nothing but good things about Oliver Marmal, their manager, and their coaching staff on top of it. And I think it was the coaching, maybe at the minor league level within the organization, that kind of moved aside. there for a while, and the teaching was not really there. So then when he's had the younger players go from one level, from A ball to double A to triple A, there was not the consistency to therefore carry it over at the major league level. If you look at the Dodgers over the years, it's been hand-stamped. The guys in A ball, they know what's expected of them in double A. The guys in double A know what's expected of them in triple A and vice versa when they get to the big league level. It's the same thing for me. From a fundamental standpoint and expectation standpoint.
Speaker 6: Well, I know what's expected from this booth. Best smelling segment in baseball history.
Speaker 5: Of the 10 colognes that you were told about, you might want to go to the second one.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks a lot. The first one did not take. Okay, Rick, we'll try tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 6: Good thing there's a game tomorrow. We'll check back in with you and Charlie Steiner a little bit later. Great to have both of you. in the booth for first pitch tonight. Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at 7.10. I'm David Vasse, and this is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: As we were saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of L.A.
Speaker 1: Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: David Vasse, live at Uniqlo Field at Dodgers Stadium, getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Dodger baseball brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shakeys.com.
Speaker 1: David Vasse.
Speaker 2: And now, what will likely be Vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 4: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is High and Tight.
Speaker 6: All right, we're back home, the Dodgers' nine-game homestand, and what a way to kick it off than talking to my guy, Dalton Rushing, who is active again and certainly a guy that we have a relationship that crosses the lines because we're in the same fantasy football league, and you know who Daddy is in fantasy football, Rushing.
Speaker 4: It's not you. It's the guy you're talking to right here.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're not going to win this year, Bess. It's not even going to be close.
Speaker 4: So what do you think? Are you impressed by the league so far in last night's draft?
Speaker 3: Um, all I have to say is I hope neighbors haunt you like you did me last year. So, uh, I'm going to leave it at that, but, uh, I like my team. I like your team, but I like my team better.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 4: Why do you think your team's so good?
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I just, I just plan for the long run. I don't, uh, I don't plan for just week one. I plan for all 16, you know, 15, sorry. Um, yeah, no, I, I plan for the long run. I think my team's going to hold up.
Speaker 4: Hey, rushing. Uh, can you paint the picture? Cause it was an online draft.
Speaker 6: I picture you on your fancy leather couch somewhere in your penthouse in Los Angeles drafting.
Speaker 4: Where, where were you drafting last night?
Speaker 3: Not in a penthouse. Um, it's drafting my living room. I was, uh, watching Spider-Man and, uh, drafting at the same time. I wouldn't recommend it guys. Uh, Yeah, I wasn't pleased with my team at first, but ESPN gave it an A, so we're going to ride it out.
Speaker 4: All right, that's the curse. You don't want a good grade in the draft.
Speaker 3: No, you don't, but it could go either way.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 4: All right, so you're back active. Let's talk baseball.
Speaker 6: From what I understand, you're limited to pinch hitting duties, and there's 25 games to go before October, so this is somewhat of a dry run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess the restriction's new, but not really a different role. I guess you could say I kind of played this role a little bit last year, early on, especially. Um, so I'm familiar with it in a way. Uh, but at the same time, yeah, it was, uh, good news. Found out yesterday and, uh, yeah, I was chomping at the bit. I was, uh, very excited. Got a few live at bats today. I've been hitting traject a lot and, um, here we go.
Speaker 6: Was there any doubt that you wouldn't be able to do this today or in September?
Speaker 3: In my eyes or my head?
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 3: Um, sure there was throughout the org a little bit, but, uh, No, I've felt pretty confident, obviously, on the hitting side, but I feel even more confident on the catching side again. His throwing's obviously progressed a little bit.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're throwing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been throwing.
Speaker 4: I haven't started. Yeah, how far do you throw?
Speaker 3: Strictly 90 to 100 feet right now, but it feels really good. It's in a really good spot, and I think it's going to progress really well down the stretch.
Speaker 6: Since you've been through this role where you've only been coming off the bench, You've got to find a routine, I would imagine, considering being the dominant everyday guy that you were.
Speaker 4: How do you find that new routine?
Speaker 3: I think you've got to challenge yourself a little bit in the cages. You're not getting challenged every day, so it's a little different. You have to find a way to challenge yourself when you get on trajectory. Find a way to challenge yourself on machine, whatever the case may be. And I think from there, it's just really take the at-bat. It's... something you've obviously done, and it's no different than a month ago when I was in the lineup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, compete.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just go up there and compete, do your job, and obviously coming off the bench, you're coming in crucial spots, help the team win, help the team score runs, and I think that's what excites me most.
Speaker 6: Dalton Rushing is our guest as the Dodgers get ready for this nine-game homestand.
Speaker 4: 25 games to go.
Speaker 6: In this regular season. When you look back at your season, what a boost you gave the Dodgers. I don't want to tell you your stats because you're still playing, but obviously you.
Speaker 4: Were dominating and were a threat.
Speaker 6: When you look at what you've learned, how much do you take with you forward of this season?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you said, this season's not over. We've got 25 left in the regular season and obviously another 15 or so in the postseason. So, yeah, Yeah, I think the main thing is just keep my head down. Let's finish these last 25 strong from the way I can help this team win. And then from there, we build a plan for October, and we build a plan on what my role is going to be and how I can help the team there. So right now we're focused on the next 25. Let's win the division, win the pennant, and get the highest seed possible.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 6: Before I let you go, Dalton Rushing, you were out here early, live BP against Edwin Diaz. Was he sugar? or was he something else? Did the slider look like sugar today?
Speaker 3: He was sugar today. He looked good. He looks really good right now, obviously, getting to see everything firsthand in the box. I think it's going to help Will and I both, just calling pitches from here on out. A couple tweaks here and there, and, yeah, I think he's back to his normal form.
Speaker 4: Love it. I love the optimism. Great to have Dalton rushing back in the lineup on the bench, a threat. He's throwing.
Speaker 6: I might catch one day just to get him ready for the next step. Thanks a lot for the time, and I'll see you online in Fantasy Football Rushing.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Vas. Make a trade here soon.
Speaker 4: Okay. Sounds good. There he goes.
Speaker 6: Dalton Rushing has been our guest, and he'll receive a gift card to Capitol Grill.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 6: When he's sad after a Fantasy Football loss, he might show up at Capitol.
Speaker 4: Grill in America. We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim. Hey, that's me.
Speaker 6: Tim's not here today, but I forgot that while I was talking to Dalton Rushing. I was so excited that He actually has a chance to catch again this season.
Speaker 4: The throwing's going well.
Speaker 6: Dodger baseball presented by Uniqlo Field at Dodger Stadium. Visit Uniqlo.com slash US. We are leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals. It's coming up at 7-10, but first, we'll break down tonight's pitching matchup. I'm David Vasse, and this is the back-to-back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 1: On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: We are leading you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up at 7-10. Michael McGreevy on the mound for St.
Speaker 4: Louis.
Speaker 6: It is Eric Lauer on the mound for the Dodgers. First pitch at 7-10. And we're brought to you by your Toyota dealers. We make it easy. Michael McGreevy. I know that name really well because he pitched six scoreless innings against the Dodgers in St.
Speaker 4: Louis on May 2nd.
Speaker 6: He only allowed three hits and he got nine ground balls.
Speaker 4: He's a ground ball pitcher.
Speaker 6: If you see the Dodgers hitting a lot of ground balls, that's not a good thing. He is from Sacramento High School. He was drafted in the first round of the 21 draft out of UC Santa Barbara. So he's a California kid, 26 years old, making his 27th start of the year. But in his last six starts, he has been very human with an ERA over seven. For the Dodgers, they have 31-year-old left-hander Eric Lauer on the mound, making his 18th start of the year, 22nd of the season. For the Dodgers, his 12th start and his 14th appearance since coming to the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: He is 7-1 with an ERA of. 378, and hitters are only hitting. 236.
Speaker 6: The last time he pitched, it was after Rokey Sasaki had to leave the game in Atlanta with a blister. He pitched two innings, allowed one run on two hits, and had a strikeout. The Dodgers and Cardinals are coming up in 15 minutes. Keys to the game are next. I'm David Vasse, and this is the Back-to-Back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, on your home for the blue, all season long.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and Cardinals coming up. Eric Lauer against Michael McGreevy. 7-10, first pitch, fast approaching. We are getting ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo start. Great moment start with Sapporo beer. Whatever your taste preference, Sapporo has you covered with a variety of crisp and refreshing lagers, including light, and non-alcoholic beers.
Speaker 4: Sapporo, good with sushi, great with baseball.
Speaker 6: Before first pitch, let's check in once more with Rick Munday and Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 8: All right, David, as the Dodgers and Cardinals get ready for the first of a three-game series, Eric Lauer is going to go for the Dodgers, and whenever he's out on the hill for them, the Dodgers seem to win. Michael McGreevy out of San Clemente gets a start for the Cardinals. It'll be his 24th of the year. But the big story, Lauer and what he has done. He was relegated to the bullpen. Then Sasaki has the blister issue. And now he's back as a starter. And Lauer has made some adjustments. One of the biggest ones that I found today is looking at just the curveball to take one pitch in particular. When he was still with Toronto, that was hit at a. 364 batting average against. Well, they have tweaked that curveball. He's got a better grip, a better break. and now it's just a 156 batting average against.
Speaker 5: He's given this Dodger ball club what we have seen in recent games, and that is the starting pitching. Even though they've not had a lot of run support, the starting pitching has allowed this ball club to be within striking distance of winning a ball game.
Speaker 8: Michael McGreevey, 26-year-old kid from San Clemente, 5-9, a. 386 ERA, making his 24th start. Yeah, well, he beat the Dodgers in St. Louis back in the 2nd of May. Three hits, six shutout innings. He's not a guy that's going to overpower you. He's not going to throw it 95 or 100 miles an hour, but very good off-speed stuff. But if we start to look at what he's done the last five weeks, runners in scoring position, It's over 500 batting average against, and hopefully the Dodgers can get a lot of runners in scoring position. Dodgers and Cardinals, the first of three. Once again, Will Smith back. He's behind the plate. Get to the line of the first pitch in just a bit, David.
Speaker 4: All right, guys.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. We will have first pitch coming up around the corner. And after the game, of course, the highlights and Dodger talk.
Speaker 4: Enjoy the game. I'm David Vasse.
Speaker 6: And this is the back-to-back World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.