Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun. Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth. This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: We're running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vassay with you until nine thirty tonight on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley Field. After the Dodgers lose to the Cubs tonight ten to five. We have wide open phone lines. You always tell me you can't get in, you don't want to try. Well, how about tonight. We have a lot to talk about the second half of the show. We'll get into the trade deadline. We'll hear from Trek Scooble, you'll hear from Dave Robert. It's about the decision to send down Emmitt Sheen. Yeah, that's right. Emmitt Shean has been optioned to Oklahoma City. Eric Lower and Alex Call will remain on the Dodgers. They were not traded, and lower will remain and the Dodgers starting rotation. We'll get to that. And I want to just share with you a few different teams who certainly made trades to not only help themselves, but also I feel like to try to close the gap and match up against the Dodgers if they run into them in October, including these Cubs. The Cubs made a lot of good improvements at the trade deadline that screamed to me they're trying to find pitchers to neutralize the Dodger offense. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight, ten to five. I want to start with the base running because I've brought this up a couple of times since the All Star Break, and there have been other times where Otani news or Schoobal news has overshadowed those poor base running decisions by two players. It's not the entire team, there's just two players that have been horrific on the basis since the All Star Break. I tweeted this out earlier, and I mean it. I can't believe what I'm seeing from show. Hey, Otani. I have not seen these many poor base running decisions from Otani in the two and a half years that he's been on the Dodgers that we have seen since the All Star break, going first to third, trying to stretch a double into a triple, trying to tag up on a bray you against the Red Sox from first base to second base, being thrown out, being picked off tonight in the second inning. How about Kyle Tucker not running hard on the bases, ignoring the green light from dino Ebol on the last Homestand I mean, this guy, I don't know where his head is at, but if you're going to hit two thirty, you better help the team on the bases and on defense, and right now we're not seeing that. So those things are inexcusable. And tonight another actually two poor base running decisions by Kyle Tucker. Tonight. Yes, he scored because Pi Crow Armstrong bobbled the ball in center field, but he was not running hard from second to third base, and that's the reason why dino Ebol held him up initially. And then a guy that played a full season and right field at Wrigley Field hits a line drive off the right field wall and decides, in a game where you're losing seven to four in the sixth inning, you are going to try to extend a single into a double. Nobody can justify any of that to me. And then Teoscar Hernandez hits a home run, so it could have been a one run game and you never know what kind of pressure that puts on the Cubs after that. Instead it's a solo home run. So I know everybody's talking about Robleski and rightfully, so we'll get to him in a second. But the base running just tonight, and since the All Star break from Tucker and Otani has lot left a lot to be desired and it needs to be tightened up. Let's go downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse. Kyle Tucker spoke to the media on Sports at LA.
Speaker 2: I mean that play, I mean I bounced.
Speaker 4: Right back to home and the chefs and he made a really good throw right there and tends that you've made a good tag, so kind of, I mean, I happened some times they made a good play. So trying to take your chances, especially in situations where you might need to try and get some runs, especially with one out at the time, trying to get the second election and you know, aerian scorning position at that point if you're there.
Speaker 2: So they just made a good player and then that one for.
Speaker 5: You offensively, Just the two hits tonight, I mean one there's something about being back here to a place where you used to play, but just kind of have you found just getting that consistency back to your swing with how you're feeling.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just working every single day.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to be consistent with my work and what I do in the cage and everything and trying to translate out onto the field. So I feel pretty good today, good at bats, past couple days and stuff. So I'm just trying to continue that moving forward to tomorrow's game and so forth.
Speaker 6: Was it like just kind of walking back in here today and then kind of hearing just the receptions you got when you went up to the plate tonight.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I like playing here last year.
Speaker 4: There's some really great guys over there, and you know, they have a good team, so it's nice being back and playing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked it, Okay, So I guess we'll just gloss over all all the poor base running decisions Kyle Tucker has made since the All Star break and especially on the last homestand and then comes out tonight with two really bad ones. So you know, the reason why that is upsetting is because Kyle Tucker is not doing a lot at the plate. There's no secret about that. But you can help your team in other areas, especially when you do get on base. Don't make outs on the basis, don't cost your team or en rallies. And that's what we've seen from Tucker over the course of the last ten games. So that to me is inexcusable and unforgivable. And everybody talks about Game seven and the World Series for the Dodgers last year, what was the difference? It was? Defense, base running. I know it's a long season. I know we're in the dog days of August, don't get me wrong, but Kyle Tucker was not one of those players that were playing in October. You could talk about that with almost every other player on this team, and you can somewhat forgive them because we are in the dog days of August and these guys have played more games than anybody else the last two and a half years. But come on, that just needs to be better. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight, ten to five, on a night where Justin Robleski gives up four home runs for the second straight start. I like what Dave Roberts had to say. It's true, the stuff is there, it's the poor location and I do it really hit me when Jose Motor broke it down for us. Maybe the rest of the league is playing the chess game to Justin Robleski, and now he needs to make the counter movements because he should pride himself on the fact that he can get quick outs and not get outs with strikeouts. But there's so much emphasis on that in the game these days, and people were asking him about it, and he started to get some strike outs the last two starts before the All Star break. He can't change who he is. As we talk about with hitters, know who you are as a hitter. Justin Robleski has to remember who he is as a pitcher and now start to make the adjustments to teams that have seen a lot. There's a lot of video on him and he's got to make the game plan adjustment to the rest of the league. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse on sports Net l A.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think sometimes sometimes teams are gonna have honestly good swings off you, and yeah, today that happened.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think there's no excuse.
Speaker 7: I think I need to be better than I have these past two and it's just frustrating. And but you know, I think you're You're definitely who you are when when you're at your worst. So I think it's about kind of going to this weekend grinding, keeping keeping keep on, keeping on same old stuff, and you know, just just work on stuff, hammer stuff out with with Mark and Connor and everybody, and.
Speaker 2: Get back to it, get back to throwing the ball. Well.
Speaker 6: Did like, especially the home run pitches tonight, that how much of those could you kind of get execute close to what you wanted to versus just you know, kind of like last week where maybe they're just kind of on what you're throwing there.
Speaker 7: You know, I think last week some of them were better pitches than this week. You know, I think the one to Kelly is not not a great pitch, The one to say is I mean, I'm not super upset with that. I think maybe most ballparks probably hold that or you know, it's it's off the wall and not not a home run there. But you know, I think overall just didn't build a ball all enough today obviously, and just have been been pretty frustrated these past two So just continuing to to you know, work on things get better and you know, hopefully come back out and going around here and have have some have a nice little.
Speaker 6: Scow the street date could to him, it kind of just felt like they were on a lot of your stuff to think it's is that a sign to you of whether it's just kind of game planning or there's like a tipping issue, like do you have a theory there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's possible, it's possible. It's something we're going to go look at. You know, I changed the game plan pretty significantly today and felt like they were still on some stuff. So you know, again it's it's baseball. These are you know, they get paid a lot of money to play this game too, so they're they're good players. And yeah, sometimes you're gonna get You're gonna get gotten. It's it's it's a hard League de Pinsion. So but yeah, I think at the end of the day, I just need to continue working and getting better. And you know, like I said, the chips will fall where they're going to and uh, just just keep going.
Speaker 1: All right. There's Justin Robleski on sports Net l A. Look, it would be concerning if the velocity was down, it would be concerning if the spin rate was going down and trending downwards. It's not. It's just a poor lack of execution and maybe, like Jose Mota was talking about, maybe it's time now the cat and mouse game, the chess game, whatever you want to call it. Justin Robleski, now it's your move. The hitters have made the move. It's your move now. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have one line open. Now you have woken up. I'm the one that went to sleep at four point thirty this morning, not you. Let's go out to Josh and Ontario. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Josh, Hey, thank you for taking my car.
Speaker 8: I just have a question, or actually have two questions. But my first question is what's the insight tours like are it schoolb or rental or are they planning to resign him at the end of the season.
Speaker 1: It's too early to say right now, Josh, because even Schooble said he's not thinking about the business of the game. I think you have to let it, you know, marinate a little bit. Let's see how he likes it, Let's see how the Dodgers like it. Let's make sure Scott Boris doesn't interfere to try to hold Schooble back during the playoffs like he did. For sure, ser, all of those things are in play.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 8: And when I've been to the Lower and Alex called trades, rumors like what didn't that go through?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess things changed quickly because they're both still here. And maybe the situation with emig Sheian not pitching that well, and the fact that the Dodgers are uncertain about Otani, all of those things, you know, lent me to believe that Lower was much needed here, more needed here than just getting a prospect back or you know, who knows what the Dodgers were being offered. But Lower's pitched his butt off and certainly has out pitched emit Shean so I'm happy he's still here and he's starting on Wednesday.
Speaker 8: Same, Can I see something? Can you ask Moogie something from him? Can you tell him to put his high thocks back on?
Speaker 1: We need that back the high tops. No, the high socks, the high socks. You think that's gonna change things for him?
Speaker 8: He needs something to change for sure.
Speaker 1: I agree with you on that. Thanks for the phone call, Josh. Let's go out to Manny in downtown. I'll get to all the lineup maybe tomorrow night. So let's just let me be upset about a few things tonight and we'll get to something else another night. But look, the Dodgers are really good. Hold on many, I just have to get this out. The Dodgers are really good. Trust me. They are the best team in baseball. There's no doubt about it. But the reality is, there are still things that are standing out to me that need to be adjusted individually, group wise before they get to the postseason. And trust me, the Dodgers always figure it out. This is somewhat of I don't want to say, an audition, but it really does give the Dodgers an opportunity for the players to decide whether or not they're going to be in the rotation, whether or not they're going to hit high in the lineup or loan the lineup. That's what this is about. But here's the reality of things. The Dodgers right now, despite having a large lead in the NLST, are currently the number two seed in the National League. The Brewers are one game better than the Dodgers. And don't look now, the Atlanta Braves are just one loss behind the Dodgers for the number two seed in the National League. So there is a lot to play for. You don't want to have to go through another short, five game series. That is, when you talk about random a lot of different things can go sideways in a five game series. I don't believe any team right now could beat the Dodgers four times, but three is a different story. I mean three changes things. But just keep that in mind. There is still a lot to play for. Let's go out to Manny in Downtown. How you doing, Manny. I'm sure you didn't realize the Dodgers are one game away from being a wild playing in the Wildcard Series or NLDS.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's yeah, that's how fastest game. I mean, you got some of the better teams out there, Milwaukee and Atlanta. They've been consistent too. So the reason why I called tonight, I wanted to just, you know, gloat a little bit about this Tigre Schoobol trade. The Dodgers did what they had to do to get them. Everyone's staked. Scooble should be amazing down the road. I want to just go back a little bit to Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: I want to just a little.
Speaker 1: Bit just to put a period on the schoobl stuff. That's why you get a guy like Schooble. When you have lost four in a row, things are not going your way. Your pitching staff is giving up thirty runs during the four game losing streak. That's why you get a schoobl He's an ace. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball. He ends losing streaks and tomorrow he'll end this one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not only does the end losing streaks, he begins winning streaks. So this guy's a winner, and I think he chose he's gonna stay long term in my opinion, if I had to decide, but going to Kyle Tucker, I am not convinced he's bought into this Dodger environment, Dave, I feel like he's still kind of sliding the like Olaine. You know, I know he's trying his best out there, but I just I you know, in that interview when he's bragging about the Cubs a little bit, great clubhouse, but you have to let us know too. Hey, I'm a Dodger. Now it's time to turn it on and dog days of summer right here, and we need that bat. You know, I wouldn't mind seeing Hosea Paula, you know, maybe even giving it a shot, maybe, you know, light a little fire.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I mentioned, Manny. I'm with you. If things don't change for Tucker, I'm very much on board with calling up host way to Paula in September when rosters expand and give him some at bat. See what you got Infuse some life, if you will, youthful energy with this guy. I'm with you. I don't think that's a stretch of the imagination. A lot of people believe he's ready to go right now. What better time than in September to see.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's the guy they need right now. They need a dog and right now they're a little four game losing streak that you're gonna see that dog tomorrow on Schooble.
Speaker 1: All right, Manny, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I'm not opposed to that. If things are not going to get better and right field, why not infuse some youthful energy. Now, DePaul is not a raw, raw guy, but he does have a smooth, suave feel about him. But when he starts hitting those bombs, it's going to infuse a lot of youthful energy. And like I said, these guys are veterans. They've played more games than anybody else. Dog days of August stretch run into September. Why not the youth you know that brings some new energy to the team. I'm not saying that's what the Dodgers are going to do, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. If the Kyle Tucker twenty twenty six season continues to go this way, let's go out to Tucker. Speaking of Kyle Tucker, Tucker and Santa Anna, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley Field.
Speaker 9: Hi Tucker, Hey Dave, thanks for taking the call. I would love to get a Tucker jersey, but I told myself I'd wait until you know, we see some some good results, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Good idea. I'm waiting on that for Smell too. You know, when he comes back, maybe i'll you know, yeah, anyway, I agree with you.
Speaker 9: Good last year and he's just lights out at the.
Speaker 1: End, so I feel like he is Tucker. I mean, I'm not gonna go too far, but I'm keeping the receipts on everybody that texts me, calls in and talks trash about snail Zilla. I'm keeping those receipts. I'll just say that. So what else you got, He'll be ready.
Speaker 9: I'm curious what your thoughts are on the games that we kind of waved the white flag a little early. I love Dave Roberts, but I think there's some games where we're like one run, two runs away and you were not really fighting for it. And I've heard him talk about it before. It's a long season, But what are your thoughts on those.
Speaker 1: As far as fighting.
Speaker 9: And just like, you know, when is it too soon to wave the right flag? You know, how many games do you just kind of, you know, take your starters out and you know not.
Speaker 1: That I don't, I don't. I mean, there's certain there are certain games where I'm like, okay, yeah, to manage a full season. The Dodgers have been masterful and navigating one sixty two, so I think teams are trying would love to take a page out of the Dodgers book in that respect, So I'm not against that in certain situations. I don't believe the Dodgers waved the white flag until the Cubs scored ten runs. That's when they wave the white flag. They're not going to burn high leverage relievers in a ten to five game in the eighth or ninth inning, Tucker, I don't think today.
Speaker 9: I think more so in the Boston series it seemed like there are a couple of close ones, but not Today was.
Speaker 8: A tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, honestly, I would have loved to have seen Freddy take that at bad in the ninth inning last night instead of Alex's call, but he doubled, so he pressed. Dave Roberts pressed the right button. I know what you're saying, But for the most part, I would say Dave has managed it the right way this year.
Speaker 2: Got it well.
Speaker 9: Thanks tone, appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you call back anytime. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight ten to five. Tommy Edmund hit a three run home run in the first inning, and you thought Matthew Boyd was going to be out of this game. Not to be.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: He lasted six and two thirds innings to win his seventh game of the year, and Justin Robleski takes the loss. How about this, Speaking on that first inning, it was kind of a microcosm of what we've seen since the beginning of July. So Tani and Pa has get on to start the game against Boyd. The back to back singles, Tommy Edmund hits a three run home run. First trend that we have seen for a while now, Tommy Edman and others better hitters on the road. Why another trend? We saw Freddie Freeman getting on base thirteen game hitting streak, albeit a broken bat infield single, and since the beginning of July, Freddy has been on base forty three times, hitting third, hitting fourth. Do you know how many runs Freddie Freeman has scored since the beginning of July getting on base forty three times. I'm telling you he's on base forty three times, including tonight, in the first inning, he has only scored eight times. That's hard to believe. That's hard to do. What that tells me is whoever's hitting behind Freddy Freeman is not driving him in. And we'll get to that another night. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Marty in Jacksonville. You're on Dodger Talk live from Chicago.
Speaker 10: Hi Marty, Hi, how you doing, Dave.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, love talking baseball.
Speaker 10: I have two questions, two statements and a question. Now that the trade deadline is over, we can trade Conferdo Conford for Tucker?
Speaker 1: Did that?
Speaker 10: I thought i'd bring it. I thought i'd bring a little newer to the conversation. But the real reason I called this the first caller asked about rental. I have a I don't know if Freeman would do this, but if he wanted to next year, they want to have some kind of a salary cap and length of contracts. Why doesn't he talk to Burroughs give him an eight year, three hundred and sixty to four hundred million contract right now before this next season starts. He'll have him locked up and don't worry about him not being himself. He'll be fine. He's a two time cy Young Winner, He's a tremendous pitcher. Let's lock him up. You could probably lock him up right now before the salary cap comes in and lend the contract. They're doing anything to the Dodge's way of doing business.
Speaker 2: Do you think I would.
Speaker 1: Love to have school Ball in a Dodger uniform the rest of his career, Marty. He's a great guy. His work ethic is on the level of Kershaw's. Everybody would love to have him stay after this year. But he just got here. He hasn't even made one start. Let's see how this goes, Marty. Thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy. Yeah, can we can we let the guy make his first start? Can we let the guy have at least two or three starts before we start saying let's sign him up to a lifetime contract. I mean, Freddie Freeman's playing for a contract right now. He only has one more year left on his deal, Andy pa has I mean, he's a he's a prime candidate to be a young player that gets extended. So look, I'm all in on Tarrek's Schooble. But let this, let let this marinate a little bit before everybody starts talking about ten years right away. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley Feel you will hear from Tarek Scoobol. Coming up next, we will recap the trade deadline. We'll let you know about the Dodgers catching situation, will let you know more about why the Dodgers option image into Oklahoma City today and more of your phone calls At eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy we still have two lines open. I want to hear from you. It's baseball season and the Dodgers are the talk of the town and the country after acquiring Trek's schoolball. I mean, the Dodgers put baseball at the forefront of the conversation today. That's a good thing. They fall to the Cubs though, tonight ten to five on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 11: This is Oscar Hernan. This is the world champion Dodgers Audio Network. Here every game on AM five seventy or streaming on the IHI Radio opp The.
Speaker 1: Show Tony Getting trying to Tag from First to Second Now Tioscar swings hits a high drive, deep leaf fad. It is over the bleachers and on the Waveland Avenue. A home run for Tioscar Hernandez, his eleventh of the season. Ta Oscar Hernandez sent that one to Waveland Avenue in the sixth inning. Tail on a hot streak since the All Star Break, hitting over three twenty and that was his third home run. He is heating up as it was a hot day here in Chicago, a beautiful day here in Chicago, and six home runs were hit tonight at Wrigley Field, four of them by the Cubs as they beat the Dodgers tonight ten to five. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA Sports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. It was a busy day for the Dodgers, not only the trade deadline coming and going at three o'clock Pacific time, they made acquisitions of Ben Roortveitt and also Hunter Fiducca. Ben Roortvett was at Triple A Syracuse in the Mets organization all year long. Fiducca was in the big leagues with Tampa Bay. He actually was in the starting lineup today right before the trade deadline. And when you talk about hugwatch, he got a lot of hugs in the Tampa Bay Rays dugout when he was traded. So Fiduca and roartved two guys that were in the Dodger organization last year, two guys that were traded for each other are now back, and Roortvett is going to be active for tomorrow's game. Brendon Gomes, the Dodgers GM said earlier today he isn't sure when Fiduca or where Fiduca is going, but I'll just say this. Alicia Alfonso and Trek Scooble have a familiarity with each other going back to the Tigers organization. As recently as last spring training, Alfonso caught Schoobl's bullpens. He caught Schooble in twenty nineteen with the Tigers. So I would imagine Alfonso's catching tomorrow because he has that rapport with Trek Scoobel and Schoobl's very comfortable with him. So that's where the Dodger catching situation is. After Dalton Rushing was a late scratch last night before Sunday Night Baseball with what the Dodgers at the time called minor arm irritation, well it was so minor that they put him on the ten dayil and acquired two more catchers. Today, Dalton Rushing, Dave Roberts says, has a strained right elbow. I looked up what exactly that is. Dave said that Rushing has had that before, so you can overextend your elbow, stretch out the ligaments without tearing it too much. And Dalton Rushing sent me a text earlier tonight said he'll be all right, So that that's more encouraging than anything else, because if he was not going to be all right, he would not have returned the text. So that's encouraging. So that's where things stand with the Dodgers catching situation. And like I was saying last week, that's why I felt it was imperative for the Dodgers to acquire another catcher because of this situation. What if Dalton Rushing got hurt and what if Will Smith can't make it all the way back you're left empty handed. So the Dodgers are in a better spot today than they were yesterday with their catching depth and Ben Roartfitt knows this staff pretty well, so that's that's a good sign, and Fiducia is familiar with them as well. Speaking of Trek Scouble, everybody is eagerly anticipating his Dodger debut tomorrow. It'll be here at Wrigley Field. And earlier today Tarrek Skubol spoke to the meet. I was there crouched crouched down because it was such an uncomfortable, weird room the Cubs made available to the Dodgers to have his media press conference. So there I was, uh using my my catchers stance to be able to talk to Ted school Ball and what they call the barrel room here at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I feel like I met a lot of people yesterday and just to be able to you know, say hi to everybody, and the excitement and the energy that those guys have was awesome, you know, and obviously the you know, same Dave and getting that reaction was pretty cool too. You know, we've we've talked through you know, all star games and stuff like that. But that's kind of limited interactions. But you know, I've I've always had a ton of respect for this organization and how they go about their business and and obviously winning World Series, you know, the last two years, and you know, watching that stuff on TV has has kind of fueled me, you know, and and those are the aspirations I want as a player, you know, to to be on top and when the last game of the season and looking forward to trying and doing all those things is here. Every team could trade for me, you know, every team could make that acquisition. And I don't really sympathize with people that blame the Dodgers for for anything they've done. You know, they've developed a really good organization. They draft well, they acquire talent, really well, they retain talent. It's a winning organization. Now the complaints seemed to be because they've won the last two World Series, you know that. I don't think it was like that three years ago. So I don't I don't really sympathize with people that are complaining because the Dodgers, you know, do all the right things.
Speaker 2: How well do you know Connie, how well?
Speaker 12: How well do you know you know briefly, you know, all Star Games, the MVP, the awards dinner in New York. Got to talk to him a little bit there. But yeah, not as well. Our relationship will grow, I'm sure, And you know, I'm excited. You know, he's a you know, he's he's a unicorn talent. You know, there's really no one like him that's ever done what he's done in the big league. So I'm excited to just watch and appreciate his greatness, you know, as a teammate.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's Trek Scoubele part of the press conference that he had in a makeshift room here at Wrigley Field. But look, I love what he said. No apologies for what the Dodgers are doing. It just seems like there's a lot of uninformed talking heads, hot take people that all of a sudden now are talking baseball, which I think is a good thing the Dodgers. How can you say the Dodgers are bad for baseball when they have cracked debate shows and talk shows that never talked baseball. Today they were all talking baseball. They weren't talking very smartly, they didn't have very informed opinions, but at least they were talking about it, and that's more than any other team can say. They forced the issue with with these networks and talk shows that believe all we want to hear about is the NBA and NFL. Sorry, baseball has lapped the NBA in popularity and the I mean they just started training camp and that's all they've been talking about. Baseball has so many different storylines, but that's beside the point. The Dodgers are good for baseball because every sport needs a villain, every sport needs a hero, and the Dodgers are that villain. Outside of LA they are the heroes in Los Angeles and in Japan. But outside of being a Dodger fan, everybody despises them because they've won the last two championships and are in a very good spot to do it again. So you know, when you talk about David versus Goliath, even if the Dodgers play the Phillies again, or let's say they play the Yankees, even though those payrolls are top five, people are going to be rooting for them as David, even though they aren't David. They have the same payroll just like the Blue Jays. By the way, last year the Blue Jays had a top five payroll. Everybody tried to act like they were the Tampa Bay Rays. They're not. They spent a lot of money, but that is a good thing for baseball, and I love that Scoobo brought up the reality of the situation. Ever since the Guggenheim Group took over back in the second half of twenty twelve, they the Dodgers have had the top payroll or one of the top payrolls in baseball, but nobody was complaining when they were losing all of a sudden. Now they get Otani, they get Yamamoto, they are dominant, and because of the deferred contracts, again five steps ahead of everybody, they are able to bring in more talent. So there's a lot of jealousy and envy out there. And Andrew Friedman did a great job in Tampa Bay with the small market, got them to the World Series. They were a perennial contender. Eric Neander has done a great job carrying that forward. But now you take Andrew Friedman and give him what ten twelve years with the Dodgers and the resources. Who didn't see this coming? I mean, come on, everybody saw this coming. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Robin Cerritos. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley Field.
Speaker 2: I Rob Hi, good.
Speaker 13: Evening, Thank you for taking my call. You just want to talk about how Tucker for sixty million a year, it looks like he's not trying very hard. You watch the games on TV and it looks like he doesn't care. It looks like he's not playing hard. He's lollygagging in the outfield. It feels like even Alex call just plays harder than Tucker.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like Tucker has lapses, and I feel like he's letting his hitting get into other parts of his game. And the base running needs to be better. He's a very smart base runner, but we haven't seen And when you're hitting two thirty and you've had a disappointing season, sometimes in the outfield or on the basis, you're letting your mind wander to the batting cage or the batter's box, and I feel like that's part of the equation. Thanks for the phone call. Rob Let's go out to Jose in South el Monte, not just El Monte, but South el Monte.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Jose, I'm being great.
Speaker 3: You actually know the distance of MoManI Andamany.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm in North Chicago right now, the north side Wrigley Field.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, man, that was a great game.
Speaker 5: They're going back back and forth, but Cub had it in the end.
Speaker 3: They just threw a big old punch and they're just like, all right, it's our game.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 1: And she threw fourth. They hit four home runs.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yes he did.
Speaker 3: I was I was just surprised, but.
Speaker 1: All right, call what do you have to say, Jose?
Speaker 14: I called for a hope Rush gets better.
Speaker 13: A big fan of him.
Speaker 3: I love his energy.
Speaker 8: A lot of people don't like his energy, but I love it. It's old school baseball, nineties, eighties baseball.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's like Chase Sutley all over again.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is the type of guy you don't know what you have until you don't. And I think that's what the Dodgers and Dodger fans and detractors of Dalton Rushing are gonna find out. You don't know what you have until you don't. And hopefully he gets back soon, and hopefully Will Smith and Dalton Rushing are the catching combo going into the postseason, and like I said, now that you got Rard fed, I wouldn't rule out the possibility if the matchups dictate it carrying three catchers in a playoff series or the rest of this season, I would not rule that out. Thanks to the phone call, Jose eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight ten to five. Another significant development before the game today, as it pertains to the Dodgers is that they decide I did it to option Emage She into Oklahoma City, and hard to argue it. They have given she in the entire season and he just hasn't put it together. He's four and eight now with an ERA of five twenty nine. If you listen to the shows, and you can go back and listen to the shows on the iHeartRadio app. I was a big advocate not to trade Eric Lawer because of the way Sheehan was pitching. And obviously Robleski's had a couple of rough starts here and you still have the uncertainty of Otani. Luckily the Dodgers. Obviously I shouldn't say luckily because like I was just praising Andrew Friedman. If I can see that, he can see that, So it makes sense to keep lour and to option she into Oklahoma City because him trying to figure it out here every Sunday is not helpful to him, it's not helpful to the Dodgers, and it's certainly not conducive to the bullpen being fresh and ready, especially as the Dodgers head into playing thirteen in a row beginning on Friday. I asked Dave Roberts before the game, going back to spring training, it just hasn't clicked for Shehan. I was the first one to recognize that his fastball velocity was down. I was mocked, I was laughed at, and now look at it. His fastball velocity in August still down. So I asked Dave Roberts, why hasn't she Han been able to put it together? Going back to spring training? It just seemed like from spring training on he was searching for velocity, searching for you know, just that Christmas that.
Speaker 2: He had last year.
Speaker 1: Why was there such a search all season long for.
Speaker 5: Him to a good question, I don't know the answer. I do think that you know, from the outset, there was a lot of talk on his velocity, and so I think that that might have led in a little bit kind of his north star, which you know, some could debate that that should be, some could say it shouldn't be. Yeah, I just think this year up to this point, it's been very mechanics driven, and when you're in the competition the season, that quite frankly, should be the last thing on your mind as a as a hitter or a pitcher. But that's been forefront for him. So we got to get him back to, you know, being an athlete being in compete mode.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I mean, Dave Roberts is right on point with that, and she ends, you know, mentor with the Dodgers was Clayton Kerushaw. Nobody competed with less at times than Clayton Kershaw the last of five years. And that's where Emtt needs to get back at. And like we were talking about with Rob Leski, if you start chasing velocity, you're going down a path you don't want to go down, especially when you're doing so well competing and getting out the way you have. So I think this is a great move for Emmit shean. This is the right move for the Dodgers and Emi Shean and Eric Lauer will start on Wednesday. In the finale of this three game series, Tomorrow, Trek Scooble making his Dodger debut. Let's go out to La Bethany. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Wrigley.
Speaker 14: How you doing, Bethany, Hi, David, thanks so much for taking my call. I just wanted to say, next to Jackie Robinson, you're my favorite Dodger player, but you kind of just exactly you're my favorite Dodger player. So you know, we just spoke to this about Emmett she Hin, but I guess I wanted to just hear kind of your raw take on what you feel is next for him, because I think the whole situation is a little sad. So I'd love to hear your take on what you feel is next for emmittt Shean and how he can improve at this and still move.
Speaker 9: Forward from this.
Speaker 1: I think that's up to him, Bethany. He's got to go down to Oklahoma City and do exactly what Dave Roberts talked about. Go down, stop thinking about the mechanics, and start competing and in between starts or when you're down there try to figure out what you have not been able to figure out since spring training. So I believe it's up to him. It could be one of those years where he regressed so much that and with the Dodger pitching staff being as crowded as it is Bethany, he could be the odd man out. But one thing about Andrew Friedman, he doesn't give up on young players with the talent that she has very easily. So look, he may or may not be part of their plans moving forward this season, but I could say long term, Andrew Friedman's not giving up on him.
Speaker 14: All Right, Thanks so much, have a great night.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you too. Six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Emmi Shean's a great kid, by the way, easy guy to root for, and you just hope that he can figure it out because, like I said, he's been he's been searching since spring training. All right, Before we say good night, I just want to recap a few teams that I felt like really made some big strides at the trade deadline, and three teams in particular, two actually in particular, stand out to me more than any others in the National League. Trying to match up against the Dodgers if they see them in the postseason. First and foremost, the Padres, they acquire Casey Maiz, who was the second best pitcher on the Tigers staff, and they acquired left hander Robbie Ray from the Giants. They gave up a lot for Robbie Ray. A lot of people around the league text me that they gave up way too much for Robbie Ray, who's a rental. But here's my thinking. Number one, the Padres don't have enough starting pitching to get through the season, so they needed to get myes and they needed to get somebody else. So they got Robbie Ray, who was really good at Oracle Park and he'll be really good at Petco Park in San Diego. But here's what I was thinking. Aj Preller has Michael King, and he needed somebody else to be that one to two guy with Michael King if they face the Dodgers in an NLDS series, and Robbie Ray is the perfect guy because everybody's trying to neutralize the Dodgers left handed hitters starting with Otani, and Otani is just five for twenty with nine strikeouts and only one home run against Robbie Ray in his career, So that screamed to me the Padres are trying to match up in a possible short series against the Dodgers. Also, these Cubs screamed that they are trying to improve their staff to get through the regular season, but also be in position to match up and neutralize the Dodgers' hitters in a playoff series. They acquire Clay Holmes and Tyrone Taylor from the Mets. They also acquired and we saw him playing catch here after the game tonight. Kevin Gossman. Yeah, that Kevin Gossman from the Blue Jays who gave the Dodgers fits in twice during that seven game series, and Kevin Gossman against Shoe a Otani in their career regular season, not counting the postseason, Kevin Gossman has held O'tawni down three for nineteen with only one home run. Remember that splitter. The Dodgers had fits with that splitter in the World Series last year. And Freddie Freeman is only three for seventeen in his career against Kevin Gossman. So that screamed to me. The Cubs not only trying to get starting pitching to get through the season, but also get starting pitching that could match up against the Dodgers hitters. So those two teams screamed to me they were acquiring these specific pitchers not only to get through the regular season, but also to be prepared in a playoffs series against the Dodgers to throw those guys at them. And the Phillies acquire Luisa Rise. Bryce Harper is going back out to right field, a Rise is going to play second, Alec Bohm is going to first base, and Stott is going to third base. Now, the Phillies defense is a little iffy to begin with. I'm not saying this is going to help it, but the Phillies are a swing and miss team. Don't work counts, don't work at bats. A Rise will help that. And they have Sanchez and Luzardo, not to mention Wheeler to throw at the Dodgers. So this just screams at me. These teams are trying to catch up to the Dodgers. That's what that is. I know for a long time the Dodgers twenty years ago was trying to catch up to other teams. They are the team everybody's trying to match up against and trying to close the gap against so keep that in mind as well. All Right, tomorrow, it's Schooble Day. We will take your phone calls after tomorrow night's game. Scooble on the mound for the Dodgers for the first time and first time pitching at Wrigley Field. He's seven and five this year with an ERA of two seventy nine. He's going up against Hoabbier Asad, who is six and one with an ERA of three seventy five. Our coverage begins tomorrow at four o'clock with first pitch from wriggly Field on school Bole Day five oh five with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. Thanks for calling in, thanks for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to calling e back at our Burdbank Studios. Thanks to dwayn McDonald out here at Wrigley Field last night. We will talk to you tomorrow. Everybody is anticipating Schoolble Day. It should be fun and we'll be with you after tomorrow night's game as well. Fox Sports Radio is next once again. The final score tonight, the Cubs hand the Dodgers their fourth straight loss with a ten to five victory. Have a great rest of your night. See them from Wrigley