Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking, Well, it's an extra special Jackie Robinsonde at Dodgers Stadium. Not only the Mets are in town, but we have the president of the Negro League Museum in town and he addressed the Dodgers and Mets earlier today. And that's my guy, Bob Kendrick. Bob, thank you so much. And man, it's great to be in LA with you instead of Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, it's great to be back here at Dodger Stadium, to be here in the great city of LA. And what an incredible celebration this is every year, but for me, it means so much more to actually be here as part of this celebration.
Speaker 1: What did it mean to you when the Dodgers asked you to come to La, come to Dodgers Stadium and in the shadow of this statue speak to the Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 3: It was it was special. It was special.
Speaker 2: So you feel a very strong sense of pride that they think enough of the work that we do there in Kansas City that it would be meaningful for me to be here to deliver the address to the two ball clubs. And so that means a great deal to all of us at the Negro League Baseball Museum.
Speaker 1: Those of us that have visited several times. I remember my first time was with Andre Ethier. And you give us not only a history lesson in baseball, but a history lesson in American history. Is that what you were trying to convey to these ballplayers that may not know you.
Speaker 2: Know, because with each generation we move further and further away. Because I have to remind myself not to take for granted that everyone knows Jackie's incredible story, because the byproduct of progress is that we have a tendency to forget, and we cannot forget what Jackie was able to do.
Speaker 3: And you're right, Jackie's story.
Speaker 2: The story of the Negro Leagues in general, is much bigger than the game of baseball. Yet it's still just a tiny part of the great story of a game of baseball. And anytime that we get the opportunity to elevate the awareness, hopefully the interest, and remind people of just how courageous Jackie Robinson was, we want to make sure that we take full advantage of that and for me to be able to make the connectivity to his incredible story back to the negro leagues, because this does not happen without the negro Leagues. Now, you've got to think that baseball would have integrated at some point in time, but who knows how long? And then where were those players going to come from if you did not have the negro leagues? And so the stories cannot be separated. But a lot of people don't know that side of his story as it relates to his time in Kansas City with the great Kansas City monarchs.
Speaker 1: I love how Bob Kendrick reminded everybody what Jackie Robinson did was before Rosa Parks, was before doctor Martin Luther King Junior. He is at the forefront of the civil rights movement.
Speaker 2: So you can effect divide the twentieth century into two pieces, before.
Speaker 3: Jackie and after Jackie.
Speaker 2: That's the profound impact that he had, and he was the spark that ignited the civil rights movement in this country.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes people don't necessarily connect the two, but we do, and I think it is eye opening for people when they do learn how at the forefront of this movement he really was.
Speaker 1: Now, we love having Bob Kendrick in Los Angeles, But you have to get to Kansas City to the Negro League Baseball Museum. That is one of the more special places. And my favorite piece in that museum is the painting of the Dinner that we've heard Don nucom tell many times before.
Speaker 2: Yes, the painting is called Grace, and Nuke told the story with great clarity, and he was so inspired when he would tell that story, and it was captivating, and he would oftentimes tell the story of how they had dinner. He Jackie, Roy Campanella, and Doctor King sitting down having dinner when Doctor King conveyed to them that he could not have done what they did because they were out there moving the needle for progress. Now here is the greatest civil rights leader of all time acknowledging what Jackie did as an individual because he was playing a team sport when he took that field with the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was individualized, and that he could not have done it, and that they helped make his job easier. That alone should help us understand the impact of what Jackie was able to do. And then those other integration pioneers who followed Jackie, Yeah, the Don Newcombs, the Roy Campanella's, the Junior Gilliams, the Joe Blacks, who are all tied to the Dodgers organization, all played a significant role in helping move the needle of progress forward. And I think that's what doctor King was relating, and that painting so beautifully depicts them. They're sitting at the dinner table holding hands while they're saying grace.
Speaker 1: Very powerful certainly is so is Bob Kendrick. There are so many ways to describe you. Your genuine love for the stories that you tell and the meaning behind them come across, whether it's to the Dodgers or Mets, or to anybody that comes to visit the Negro League Hall of Fame the museum. So man awesome to have you out here. Glad your knee is doing good and you still got the best style in America hands down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The news doing much better than that when I saw you last and I was trying to fake it. I was trying to move around without my brace on. But the news much much much better. The thing that I've learned, the older I get, the slur the healing processes.
Speaker 3: But what or not?
Speaker 2: And to be part of this celebration and to be back here at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: So thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget this Jackie Robinson Day. Thank you for stopping by and awesome to do this with you in front of this statue.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, this made it even special.
Speaker 2: And they have the two clubs gathered around this amazing piece of art that really is alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Lives through all of them who played his game, and we wanted to remind them that they do carry that level of civic and social responsibility with them.
Speaker 1: We all do, we all do. Thank you, Bob there. He is my guy, Bob Kendrick, more than just the president of the Negro League Baseball Museum. He's one one of a kind, all class, great person and we love having you here. So I know you're in demand today. You better get that.
Speaker 3: Me moving