Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth. This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: We get ready running back to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven, two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. And now your host here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 2: Well Dodgers in this homestand on a winning note and got a little momentum now is they hit the road for nine games. Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Dodger Talk on this Thursday night. Thanks for being with us wherever you may be. If you're one of the fifty one thousand and forty eight in attendance out of Dodger Stadium tonight, you stayed until the end sitting in traffic around Dodger Stadium, heading on the one, ten, the five, the two, back to the west side of the valley, the San Gabriel Valley, the o cd ie. Wherever you're headed, I want to hear from you. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the number, but you know it already eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, we certainly appreciate you as well as the Dodgers. The road trip now begins in Anaheim tomorrow with the first of three against the Angels. And before you start saying the Angels they're bad, the Angels are not very good. This is a cakewalk of a three game series, knee. I remind you of what happened last year to the Dodgers as they face the Angels. The Angels got the best of them in the season series, and the Dodgers struggled against them head to head during the regular season play. So it's the Angels. Yes, they're a team that is struggling, Yes, but the Dodgers cannot take them lightly. And look ahead to San Diego, which I know a lot of Dodger fans are already thinking about Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at Petco Park, and I know I'm thinking about it as well. But first things, first three games against the Angels. It's gonna be a fun three games with Justin Brubuski going on Saturday, Rookie Sasaki going on Sunday. But Blake Snell going tomorrow night in his second start since coming off the injury list, his second start here in twenty twenty six, hopefully getting some better results than he had in his first start over the weekend on Saturday against the Braves. But eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number if you're at the game, want your thoughts if you if you watched and listen to what happened tonight, you saw Image Shean really I think take that next step forward and Image Shean, who came out of the gate really good for the Dodgers, had a great spring, earned that spot in the rotation. Certainly there were certain guys that revying for it, trying to get that fist spot in the rotation with Blake Snell hurt to start the year, and Image Shean stepped up and grabbed it and took that starting spot and certainly couple starts going into tonight, there were some questions about longevity. Is he meant to be in this rotation long term? Two weeks ago we kept having this conversation here on Dodger Talk about whether he will be sent down or will it be Sasak sent down, or who would lose their spot in the rotation? Would it be Justin Robleski back to the bullpen when Blake Snell came back. Now, I said it here on Dodger Talk a week and a half ago. I said, let's just wait until it's time for Blake Snell to come off the injured list. Because things happen in baseball. Injuries pop up, freak things happen, and you're worrying about something that is down the road. You're worrying about a roster move you gotta make. You're worried about how many people are on the roster and how many chairs are left in the game of musical chairs, and who's going to be left standing. With all that being said, you worry, worry, worry, and it takes care of itself because unfortunately, an injury occurs. And that's exactly what happened with the case of Tyler Glass now and the soil Laura back and the spasms. He goes on the injured list, and all that talk about was Suzak, is it Robleski? Is it gonna be you know, Ima shean who's gonna be an odd man out of the rotation. Well, we're not having that conversation right now. But even though we're not having that conversation, you started to wonder about image Shean. The velocity was down, you saw a little bit of lack of control last time out. Pitch better against the Atlanta Braves, but got a no decision for it, just didn't get the run support in the Dodgers lost last week. Well, you saw tonight Imagean come out and pitch really well six strong innings, gave up two hits. He gave up two runs on a two run inside the park home run down the left field line. Now, let's just stop right there. What was the last time you went to a baseball game and saw inside the park home run. I'm gonna go ahead and be honest with you. I've never been to a game that that's actually happened. That would be a first for me. If I were at a Major League baseball game and an inside the park home run occurred. It's just so rare. You just don't see it. And we told you about the last time the Dodgers had it happened to them, the last time the Dodgers did it themselves, and the last time, of course it happened to Dodger Stadium, and in this Dodger rivalry thinks to the great Dray McDonald with all that inside information about the inside the park home runs. You know, the last inside the park home run by an opponent Dodger Stadium, Nick Ahmed twenty eighteen. Last Giant with the inside the park home run against the Dodgers. Larry Herndon bet did it back in nineteen eighty one at Candlestick Park off of Fernando Valenzuela. The last inside the park home run against the Dodgers in general happened at Chase Field two years ago with Corpy and Carrol, So it doesn't happen too often. And if you saw it tonight, you saw something pretty rare, and that is an inside the park home run, all right. With that being said, soft contact, that's what image sheet and gave up tonight on two hits, that was it. One of them turned into it to run inside the park home run. But it wasn't his faults. Hernandas didn't play that ball greatly down the left field line, pulled up thinking it's gonna go foul and bounce out of you know, out of play, and we'll reset the count. Well, it landed fair and the way the spin on the ball was again it was an inside out job from Junghu Lee. It drops in, the spin of the ball gets past Teoscar Hernandez who then has to go down the left field line and get it. And by the time he gets to it and throws into Miguel Rojas, the throw then home was high to dult rushing And by the way, if that's a that's a bang bang throw to home and it's a good throw and adult rushing makes the tag. Lee's out. I mean he's out by He's out by five to ten feet, but as it is, the throw is high. Lee slides in and to runs score on the play, but the damage was minimal. To image. Shean tonight for the job he did on the mound, and I thought he really looked good. We told you in the clubhouse show what he was able to as far as getting ahead of hitters. Twenty to twenty three batters he faced first pitch strikes, he had eleven two counts, seven whiffs on fourteen swings at the slider. That is a good night on the mound. Attacking the strike zone first pitch strikes fastball ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven for six innings. He had a slider with bite on it. Tonight he had a changeup that was nasty. If you're pumping in strikes at ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven and then the slider has got it about an eighty seven eighty eight, and the changeup has also got a different look to it, and you're throwing them from strikes and getting swing and missus, it's gonna be a good night. And that's exactly what Im and Sheen did. And I hope he can build on that because I felt his last start was good. He was even better tonight. And if he can keep the velocity and keep the pounding of the strike zone, especially on first pitch strikes, he's gonna put himself in a good spot now. At all is predicated by getting run supporting. The Dodgers just haven't been doing, especially with runners in scoring position. They were just not good this homestand things flipped for the Dodgers tonight in a big way. I mean we're talking maybe about a no decision and then a Dodgers loss. If the Dodgers would two out and runners on second and third, don't get a clutch two run single from Alex call and then a you know, two run single or an RBI single for Miguel Rojas that he got off the handle but just you know, gets enough of it to shoot it into center field for an RBI single. We're talking about a different game. But finally they delivered, the ball finds some green grass in the outfield, goes the Dodgers' way, and they score three runs in the sixth inning, and we're talking about a Dodgers win. On top of all that, the Dodgers' bullpen, Okay, a couple of hiccups here and there over the course of the first I don't know what forty four games of the season, thirty four to forty four games, But for the most part, this Dodgers' bullpen has been fantastic. Alex Vessi had came back tonight with a really good eighth inning, had velocity and some bite on his pitches. And Guardo had Riquez was hitting one hundred and one miles an hour tonight in his one, two, three seven, And Tanner Scott, boy, boy, if this is the Tanner Scott we've been waiting for, right this is the Tanner Scott that signed that four year deal a year ago and Dodger fans were so excited about what he did in twenty twenty four. Ooh, he was gonna be lights out in twenty fty twenty. Now he wasn't lights out in twenty twenty five, and we saw a different Tanner Scott who struggled and struggled and struggled and could not overcome it and comes back in twenty twenty six, wipes the slate clean, said he was clean as far as you know, mentally and physically ready to go in twenty twenty six and putting everything from twenty twenty five behind him, and folks, that's exactly what he has done. Tanner Scott tonight looked really good coming out of the bullpit of the ninth inning, struck out two of the three batters that he faced, and he has picked up his third save of the season. And tonight one of those games in which you think, yeah, this is how it should look eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventies, number eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, seventy. Jose Mota is gonna join us in a couple of minutes let's get out to the phone though, Uh Luca in Eagle Rock. Luca, welcome to Dodger Talk here on a five seventy l A Sports. Hi you doing, Luca.
Speaker 3: How's it going.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well.
Speaker 4: As a long drive back from the Dodgery game, but it was it was a good night. I want to talk about I Michian and Will Smith setting the tone. It's not an easy thing to do if you're I Machian to go out there, two of the best hitters in baseball taking the day off. You're trying not to lose the series, and to go out there and get a scoreless first frame. That's hard enough to do. But shout out to Will Smith, first ever time leading off, I believe, And to start the game off like that, I think we've been playing from behind way too often as of late. Not easy to go out there in leadoff for the first time and do what he did, get us on the board early and it was a great game from there.
Speaker 2: How about how about a little cosa bianca so an Eagle Rock.
Speaker 4: You know at it's a good way to cap it off. It's it's La one. I gotta go to I gotta get ready for tomorrow, all right, but great, great game. Thanks for taking the call here, don.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it. There's Luca and Eagle Rock. Yeah, just give me a little cosabiaka shoutout. See if he would bite there and then talk about what a great pizza spot. It is great Italian food out there in Eagle Rock. But okay, you know it's a late night. He's got to get to bed. It was a long game tonight. Fifty one thousand enjoyed it though out of Dodger Stadium on Star Wars night as they got the Grogu bobblehead that they were giving away to all the fans and attendance for the first forty thousand, i should say, in attendance out of Dodger Stadium tonight, and they saw a good one of five to two win over the Giants. As the Dodgers pick up their twenty six winner this season, and as we speak, going into play tomorrow in Anaheim, the Dodgers will have a half game lead in the NL West. Let's go to Eddie. Eddie now joins us from Palace Verde.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Eddie, I'm doing good. I'm doing good. Dodgers win so I'm happy.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. How about Image she and tonight this offense without Mookie Betts and without show Heyo Tani still delivered and getting the win.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it's it's good that the c she and she and get the win. And he's he's been doing good. I was trying to think of, did he make the All Star team last year?
Speaker 2: No? No, he was coming back from Tommy John surgery. Uh, missed the first you know, six to eight weeks of the season coming back, missed all the twenty twenty four did Image she and but came back last year and started to ramp back up as a starter and kind of did everything for the Dodgers last year, pitching as the bulkeeting guy as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, I might must be mistaken, but anyway, Yeah, No, he had a great game and he's been been having good games. Uh and today uh uh you know, uh the Oscar Yeah, came in and and the revived himself getting that double three doubles today tonight and uh Alex Cale, I you know, we had We don't talk enough about him, you know, we me and my wife love a big Dodger fans, and we love Alex called that we'd like to see when he comes up and the crucial times where they the Roberts has used him, you know, the pinch hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knows his role, Eddie, and I think he's adapted to that. And I appreciate the phone call. Love checking in and talking Dodger baseball with you. He knows his role. He'll get starts every couple of games, but for the most part, he is a pinch hitter late in the game. He is a guy who's gonna come off the bench in whatever capacity Dave Roberts is going to need him during a game, whether it's defensively as a pinch runner, to come in as a pinch hitter, and tonight with two outs and runners on, he comes in delivers with the hit down the right field line to drive in two and proved to be the big hit for the Dodgers what they needed to bust through a two to two tie, take the lead. They score three runs in the inning, and they go on and win it by a final of five to two eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. As the phone number will come back, We'll get to more of your phone calls. We'll check out with Jose Mode. Give you an update on Tyler Glass now, how soon could he be coming off the injured list with those backspasms. Dave Roberts talked about it before the game today, will tell you what he said again. More of your phone calls Jose Mota to the bottom of the hour. Tim Kate's with you here on postgame Dodger Talk. Is the Dodgers defeat the San Francisco Giants five to two, right here on AMPI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports. Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too. Come find the back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Those one here and Will Hitch with High and Daptour and right center field.
Speaker 1: It's caring and is back to the wall. It is on the wall. A home run for Will Smith.
Speaker 2: There's time he's ever let off a major league game. He leads it off.
Speaker 1: With a home run and the Dodgers lead it one nothing.
Speaker 2: Will Smith with a solo home run to the lead off the bottom of the first is fourth of the year, his first ever in the leadoff spot, and that was Will Smith's first home run since April twenty fourth, as the Dodgers get the win over the Giants to nine, five to two. Tim Kate's back with you here on the Dodgers Talk Show as we wrap up the Dodgers five to two win and this home stand in which the Dodgers split the four game series with the Giants. They go three and four overall. In this seven game stand, Daniels Jelis presents the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Juelis gift card. All you have to do is visit a five seventy LA sports dot Com keyword home run and into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Let's check out with Jose.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hose Moda.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, Dodgers book in this home stand, a'll win against the Brave Last Friday, they come back with back to back wins here against the Giants to wrap things up. Last night, we saw the great pitching performance for show. Hey o Tani, but tonight two soft contact hits given up by imag she and I love the way he was attacking the strikes down. He was pounding strikes early, getting ahead and oh one quickly. I mean he really was out there pitching with intensity.
Speaker 5: He used the intensity. Also, he's to me a very good effective mix on getting the first pitch it out over the zone nine times of the fast, one time with a curb of nine times with the slider, and three terms with the tinge of so he and his answers you know in the previous show. It is very impressive to hearing what he said about watching a team three times before he pitches right. Even though there are different pictures, guys take a different approach after three games, but that's paying attention to the details. And it seems to me like his slider was actually better when he tried to make it less efficient, need less break, just going out to let it roll up with his hands, just playing catch the bellot the rushing again, a very good job. But it's good to see him at number one get pass the first thingning first inning tram has been pretty much a big problem. I mean, first inning rate ten point two nine. You want to get rid of that. I'm like, he pass up first steps and then with two strikes has been a little bit issue too. Getting to two strikes is not a problem. But today was the best I've seen him because with two strikes his average against his two twenty fives way over, like fifty five points over the league average. And it was fun to see that when he trailed it too hard, rushing be goun to sload him down, just like I can get to rushing over the doug like, hey man, I need you to just your head a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you brought that up because we saw a lot of emotion tonight from Dalton Rushing breaking a bat to the frustration at the plate. Dalton Rushing was zero for three with three strikeouts and a walk in. Dalton Rushing oh for three with runners in scoring positions. So he came up with guys out there, you know, able to try to drive him in and he couldn't do it. And you can see the frustration and you can hear him yelling. Some of the Dodger players are kind of chuckling when he put the glove over his mouth and started yelling at himself and frustration. But is that just a young player frustrated and showing that emotions. That's something he's got a bottle up.
Speaker 5: Moving forward, he'll learn the time. But there's some things you don't want to take away from a player when it comes to intensity. Now, you don't want to be a problem or loses to your teammates, or attract too much attention from the other teams by things that happened to have nothing to do with the game. But don't take away intensity. I mean, there's been crazy guys that have played this game have been really good at Hall of Famers, but to do it under control. They know when when not to. They always have a good teamates to go. You know what, now not the time you might have taken your offer four, but you know what, the team won. But for doubts and runner and the young catcher. Remember you're involved with every single pitch, responsible for the homework and keeping guys calm, understanding what situation you're coming in or they're coming into. It's a big step today to know that he was so first over with the offensive. I just you know he's been scuffling with the bat. Will mean Upia to get a run the board, but behind the plate no effect whatsoever. It's a big important thing for young players players to separate one thing from the other, and so far Russia has done a very good job without this season.
Speaker 2: You know, Jose I had a friend text me and he said, why is show, Hey, Mookie not in the lineup tonight? Why do they need a night off? And I tried to text back and explain to him that they needed to get off their feet that you know, even though they have an off day next Thursday, you know, they got to get some rest. They just got to mentally just throttle down for a night and not think about the grind and just sit on the bench and chew seeds for nine inning. How important was it to get those guys off their feet for showing in particular, just to get a complete night off.
Speaker 5: Listen, man, he's going through this season. He has not gone through in a couple of years. He is a little older, he's stronger, There's way more in terms of what he knows he can do the offensive side. But he will never admit the show does not win an off date. But the Dodgers knew coming into whether their faithwait shown and the very unique player you were going to have to guarding him himself and understand that you decide. He's involved in decisions, as Dave Roberts said today, and he understands way more of what they're doing. The planning is not about going out there and you know the cy Young talk that's great by about the Wall club to win and all the stuff. Rewards will come the byproduct of what you do. But for those guys is important. I mean, the mental grind is important. Remember that you know, originally Mokis was going to be playing of the first two games and then verse one. Well, they had a conversations like, you know what, I'll play three. I feel good enough. It paid off, might have and today it's gonna happens to him. Though, when when guys that caliber take off days, is that the team wins and they feel even better about the fact that, you know, there's no talking about how kind he does that was a use and why now I want today? So it's a good thing that the team has go out there and pick him up. Is that they pick up Mooki when he was out for the long sim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it. If they can get the win like they did tonight. Without two of their big guys in the lineup, it is certainly a good night for the Dodgers. Well, Jose, David's gonna be on TV the next couple of days, so you're gonna be stuck with me, my man for postgame during this series against the Angels. So we'll talk some baseball the next couple of days.
Speaker 5: Let's do that big a tomorrow on this weekend. So the Mighty Angels I talked about, you know, they they actually were a little wakeup cop Dale last this time. You know, let's go make that stuff on him.
Speaker 2: That's right, absolutely, Jose will talk to you tomorrow night. Safe travels, Okay, thank you? All right, there he goes, Jose Mota joining us here on Dodger Talk to Dodgers Baseball brought to by Medello Medello the mark of a fighter. And tonight the Dodgers had to go into that ring, so to speak, without Mookie Betts and without show Hey Otani, both of the night off. The Dodgers' lineup looked a little different. Will Smith batting lead off? You heard me right, Will Smith batting the lead off, had that leadoff home running the first inning as a designated hitter on base twice with the walk included. Quiet night for Freddie Freeman and Kyle Tucker a combined oh for eight with two strikeouts. You throw on Andy Pajez, who was zero for three. The Dodgers two three four hitters were a combined zero for eleven with two strikeouts and a walk. At the bottom of the lineup though, delivered to Oscar Hernandez three for four, including a couple of doubles. I Sung Kim had a run driven in. Alice Call came in and had a base hit as well. Miguel Rojas two for three with an RBI. So the bottom of the lineup with Kim Colin Rojas four hits, four RBIs ta, Oscar Hernandez three for four as well as the Dodgers get the win five to two over the San Francisco Giants, who leave town and the Dodgers now also leaving town for a nine game road trip three and Anaheim over the weekend. Three in San Diego next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and then a day off before three game series next weekend in Millwaukee. Well, he told you about Tyler Glass now and Dave Roberts before the game, gave an update on the Dodger right hander, who is eligible to come off the injured list next weekend, but Dave Roberts telling the media before the game that at this point it does not look like Tyler Glass now it's going to be ready by then when that first day to come off the il comes up. He's been playing catch. David Vassa and I talked about it on Dodgers on Deck yesterday. He was out throwing off flat ground and left field before the game. He's playing catch, but he's not thrown off a mound yet, and with backspasms, the last thing you want to do is rush him back. I mean, what is an extra couple of days when you think about the entire season and how long it is. Same with Mookie Betts and the oblique. Why rush back if you're feeling eighty five percent. When it's a six month baseball season, it's a grind of one hundred and sixty two games. Let's get one hundred percent If not feel really good to come back off an injured list. And if you're Tyler Glass, now, no need to rush back. So it sounds like they're taking their time with Tyler Glass now and Dave Roberts saying that there's a good chance he won't be ready to come off the injured list when his time is eligible to come up. Next weekend when the Dodgers are in Milwaukee, celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in payouts every race day. You get the preakingess this weekend. You can go out there and watch that and then enjoy some races out at sant Anita for heart pounding action and new experiences of visit Santa Anita dot com slash e events again. Dodgers back at it tomorrow against the Angels. Blake Snell will make his second start of the season since coming off the Angeles. Jack Kohanowitz will go for the Angels, Justin Robletski coming off the start the other night. We'll go on Saturday against Jose Soriano, who has been fantastic. Suffered his first loss recently for the Angels but has been arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball the first month and a half of the season. Then Roki Sasaki scheduled to go on Sunday in the final game of the three game series, and then the Dodgers will head even further south down the five Freeway past Camp Pendleton and into San Diego at Petco Park next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday against the Padres and what should be a thrilling three game series where we could see some separation in the standings. Either way, Dodgers take care of business, could put some distance between them and the Padres depending on what happens in Anaheim this weekend. So it's certainly gonna be a fun week of baseball coming up as the Dodgers hit the road Anaheim, San Diego and then Milwaukee. Well that's gonna do it for our postgame Dodger Talk Mini. Thanks to Colin thee. Thanks to all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show tonight. Thanks for listening on the iHeartRadio. App appreciate you hanging in there with us as you're leaving Dodger Stadium. Believe me, I was there early in the homestand and leaving the stadium. Listen to David Vast on Dodger Talk. Nothing like it. It's fun. Listen to all the callers, Listen to the reaction from the clubhouse. But you're just sitting there in traffic. You're sitting there going off stadium way on the sunset. Just try to get on the one, ten to two, somehow get on the five. I feel you. You made your way home. Good for you, Thanks for staying with us as you make your drive back safely. We hope we want you to be back with us again tomorrow. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. We'll get our coverage started at five point thirty pm after Pety To some Money. First pitch from the Big A and Anaheim Dodgers. Annie Angels coming up at six thirty eight. Until then, have a great sake rest of your Thursday night. The Ben Malor Show coming up next, so playing