Speaker 1: Now your host Ken Brew on news radio seven hundred wl WU.
Speaker 2: Well, good Saturday to you. It is a gorgeous saturday here in the Tri State. Stand by because apparently tomorrow it all goes south. But yes, a gorgeous day here in the Tri State. You may not be aware of this, so I'm just alerting you as a matter of public service. But today is no King's Day, so deemed by the Democrats and their cohorts, no King's Day. And of course they're massive protests all over the country, largely at Donald Trump and Ice. And that's the reason why, of course I find it fascinating. You might too, that we live in a republic. If we did have monarchy ruling our country, there would not be, under any set of circumstances a protest allowed against the king. Has anybody thought that one? Through? My guess is a Keem Jefferies is not. But that's just a wild guess on my part. But it's no King's Day, and we continue to be separated as a country, and we continue to fight a government shutdown. Really, I haven't seen the effects of it yet on a personal basis, Perhaps that's coming. But somebody that knows about these kinds of things because he lived it and he tried to prevent it and now is viewing it from the outside of the US House of Representatives. It's a good guest of our program. He is former Congressman Jim Baci. And Jim, how are you on this glorious No King's Day?
Speaker 3: Well, Ken, I'm doing great. It's a beautiful day in Ohio. So that we should be happy about more than a No King's Day?
Speaker 2: It amazes me. And I want to ask you and I have visited about the shutdown and how it's easily avoidable and who ultimately gets blamed for it. But it would seem to me that the reason why we don't have the government up and running right now is because it was focused, or there was focus by the Democrats on this day. They wanted a day where they could just massively protest against the president and what he's doing with ice. That seems to be what this is all about, and it seems to me why we don't have a government up and running at this point. Am I too simplistic here with this this analysis?
Speaker 3: Jim, Well, look, my opinion might be a little bit different. I think we don't have a government up and running because we don't have Republicans and Democrats in Washington trying to get it open. And who's the blame will be really decided by the people. It's who has the best message.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: This is what's so frustrated Ken. It's one of the reasons why I left Washington is because I can tell you when Bayner was Speaker and we were shut down, we didn't leave Washington. There were no fundraisers, there was nothing going on. We stayed there until we could get an agreement done. And that's what frustrates me more than anything that both sides, you know, the House and the Senate seemed to be okay going home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and Johnson just yesterday Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, told all of his oh well, everybody in Congress, just stay home for another week and work in your districts. But here's what I don't understand, so help me. We have we had a clean resolution by and large that was a continuing resolution, a clean continuing resolution that was passed in I want to say, late spring, and the Democrats have historically been okay with that. They just push it through, push it through, and we just kicked the ball down the road with our budget. That's a problem in and of itself. I understand that, Jim, But we've had that in the past. Well they don't. They didn't do it this time because they felt shut out the Democrats from the discussion about what happens to some of the provisions of Obamacare, which will expire at the end of this current year. So instead of agreeing to a continuing people getting paid, they said, no, we're not going to vote I'm talking about the Democrats in the Senate. No, we're not going to vote for this. And then we have this this cr that carries us through the end of the year because we feel left out to put the heat I suppose on Mike Johnson and John Thune and bring them to a deadline to get this done. Well, it didn't get done. And so my question is, yeah, I understand what Johnson is doing. That's his way of saying, we're not going to have a discussion in the House. We've already had that discussion. It's already passed. I don't really understand what Thune is doing in the Senate because they keep bringing up these votes and they keep getting shot down, and it seems to be more for optics than anything else. On John Thune's part, I just don't understand the process.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a little more to it than that too. You know, if you think about on the House, what the Speaker Johnson has said was, look, we already passed our bill, and as soon you guys pass it, we'll come back and we'll start doing the appropriation bills, and we'll start you know, getting the budget pass and all the things that we need to done, and we'll start negotiating these healthcare issues. The problem is Ken is that the optics are not good for him either, because he needs to get back and start doing all those other things. I mean, he's holding out, but you still have appropriation bills that need pass, You still have a budget needs pass. All of these things need pass, and they need to negotiate. So I keep looking at this really from the outside saying, wow, if he was smart, he have everybody in there saying, look, we passed the cr now let's just get let's just get.
Speaker 2: Our our ducts in order.
Speaker 3: With all this other stuff too. You see, it's not going to be the Republicans or Democrats who make a decision on who gets elected next November, it's going to be the Independence and the Independents are looking at this a lot different than you are. I might be looking at it, they're looking at it as you know. I don't like what the Republicans are doing. I like what the Democrats are down and in the end, they're going to make the decision, and I think the better message wins and that's going to be the key.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you just kind of outlined what you think should be done. I'm guessing here, but correct me if I'm wrong. If you were Mike Johnson, you would have never sent the house out. They never dismissed the house. You wouldn't have sent them home. You would have kept them in Washington until this thing got done. Am I right?
Speaker 4: We look right?
Speaker 3: I mean I've been in business for thirty years. I've negotiated a lot of deals. The minute you leave the tables a minute that the negotiating and the dealing is over.
Speaker 2: I just believe.
Speaker 3: And that's why I had a lot of respect when John Bayner said we're not leaving. In fact, don't go home. Don't be seen in your districts, because people are going to say, how come you're not back in Washington getting this done. So I disagree with Speaker John since doing but I mean, look, he's the Speaker, he can do what he wants. We'll see what happens next November, because people are going to remember this. Yes, they're going to say, well, the Speaker wasn't in and you know, the House wasn't doing their job, and then it just comes down to I just want to throw everybody out. See, that's the fear, you know. Can I always hear people say, well, nobody's going to vote for a Democrat. Well, time out. What's going to happen is people are going to say, and this has happened. It's how the Republicans came rolling in back in twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Everybody was tired.
Speaker 3: Of Obama and the Democrats, and they were voting for Republicans just because they didn't want Democrats there anymore. We have to be really careful as Republicans. That's the fear I have.
Speaker 2: Okay, so somebody's got a blink here, right, I mean, somebody's got a blink. And I don't think either side wants to lose face on this thing. Schumer has his own set of problems in New York, with perhaps a political play there on his seat. And the Republicans have the House and they have the Senate. They certainly don't want to lose the House because the first thing the Democrats will do if they gain control of the House is impeach Trump yet again. I mean, there's all kinds of you know, sub stories going on with all of this. So who blinks? How do you get this from where it is to where it's got to be? What would you do?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Right now, I think the Democrats can't. They can't blink. They're in this, They're locked in. They have to hang out long enough until these subsidies become a problem. These subsidies affect twenty five million people. Now, the argument that well a lot of these subsidies are illegal immigrants just isn't true. There are a lot of people out of those twenty five million who need the subsidies to have their health insurance. And I think that's going to be their argument. They're going to continue to push and push and say, look, we want this healthcare deal. Now we don't think you're going to negotiate fairly. You wouldn't negotiate with us on this cr and now you think we should just sign it and you're going to negotiate. So that's going to be their argument. I think in the end. Whoever, So if they're asking me what I think happens, I do think at some point in time Republicans go back in and they support the subsidies, and whether they support it and sign the clean CR with something in writing, whether they do it all at once. But like I'm hearing from some of my colleagues that.
Speaker 2: Are still there, they hit.
Speaker 3: In fact, I got a call from one of them about a week or so ago, says, Jim, do you believe how much we fought to make sure Obamacare never survived?
Speaker 4: And you're now.
Speaker 3: You're going to see Republicans supporting Obamacare subsidies before the end of this year's up, and that's going to be a real change. Marjorie Taylor Green has already come out and said she supports them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the I think the heat'll get turned up in the districts the folly. Maybe what Johnson has done is he sent everybody home, But when they get home, they see the people they represent on the street, and there's going to be some arm twisting there. But truthfully, Jim and I think for the average person walking around on the street, the guy that works, the guy that pays taxes. I haven't seen the effects of the shutdown yet. People say, well, the government's shut down and there's so many percent I haven't felt it. Am I an anomaly? Have you felt it? I'm just wondering who's felt this.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, unless you're dealing with the government. So I'm dealing with the i r S on a couple issues personally, and for some good luck for some clients, well yeah, they're all out of they're all out of town right now. So nothing's getting done when it comes to the I r S, which is a problem. But the real issue is these people aren't getting paid. And you've got to feel sorry for our military. You got to feel sorry for the air traffic controllers be enforced to go in and not be paid.
Speaker 4: That is just not right. That is not right.
Speaker 3: And remember there are people already in the House that have said, we have a bill. There were Republicans and Democrats in the House that have said we need to come back, we should at least pass a bill making sure our military gets paid and some of these essential services get paid. So that's another issue going on. That these independents are going to say, well, wait a minute, I think the Democrats were pretty reasonable. They want to go back in and at least get these people paid. And it's going to be the messaging who wins the messaging, because ultimately a shutdown, the only people that really lose with the American people. And as you said, you're not feeling the effects, but I can tell you the cost of a shutdown are dramatic. The economy, all the things. It's a ripple effect that will hurt our economy. It'll cost our you know, GDP. It hurts, and you just don't fill it immediately, but it will hurt over the next few months and weeks.
Speaker 2: Former US Congressman from the Great State of Ohio, Jim and Acy our guest here in seven hundred at WLWO. Donald Trump's had a great month month and a half internationally. He's going to try his hand again with Ukraine and Russia. But to fold that back into what we've been just talking about, I think he's getting high marks there. Again, I'm looking at this as just an average citizen. You've been there where the sausage is made. I don't sense that any of this really comes to a head until Trump is affected. If Trump feels like he's being affected and that it's folding back on him, then I think he gets involved and you start seeing pressure from him on Thune and on Johnson. It's all fun in games right now. But I think the minute it starts folding on him and his numbers start to create, then I think this thing starts to come to a head. You know, again, MI a little too simplistic with my analysis here.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're exactly right. If this was affecting President Trump, he would have had it settled already. You know, I've heard this too. Donald Trump traveled to Egypt to settle dispute between people who did not get along. Why isn't he in Washington, d C. Bringing the House and the Senate in. So that's another issue that independents are of looking at. So I keep, you know, bringing up this stuff. But you're right, it's not affecting him right now. He and he can blame the House and the Senate at this stage. He could sit back to the White House say it's not my problem, it's not my fault, it's those guys over there. And I think, right now, that's his easy way out. But you know, as the economy starts to have problems, as it becomes issues, I think he will be the guy who brings everybody together. I would bet you that within the next thirty days you're going to see President Trump is going to be the person who brings the House and Senate together and says, let's get this done. And he's already said he would support subsidies.
Speaker 2: Right and get it. Gives him a chance to be the hero, and lord knows, that's probably number one in his book. He loves. He loves the ability to settle things and then sit back and see what people say about it. But it's an interesting dynamic. I think it's criminal. We're not paying the troops. Criminal, we're not playing the air traffic controllers. Same with ICE. I mean, I know there are things that are out there and mechanisms out there where they're trying to get money to those people, but you know, we depend on those people just to function on a daily basis. And in the case of ICE, you can say what you want about whether or not what they're doing is right or wrong. That's what America voted for. And they're trying to clean up the act of the last four years that has just been absolutely atrocious. So yeah, those people need to get paid, and you need to get back to your weekend. Jim. We've tied you up far too long. There's probably a fair way out there screaming for a great tea shot or a grandchild screaming for ice cream. So we'll let you go, only to talk again down the road. Thank you, Jim. We appreciate you all right. Well, by now there you go, Jim Ornacy. We love Jim because he is so he's not a zealot. He's not somebody that is on TV even he's off, is on TV screaming about what's we're right there wrong and all that. I mean, it's just good common sense and that's why I like having him on the show. It is twelve twenty two on this Saturday, believe it or not. At two o'clock today, we have a Xavier exhibition basketball game. Yes, we're going to have Joe and Byron today at noon at two o'clock. Now, I'm telling you what if that doesn't get you ready for the fall, I don't know what will. But they'll have the exhibition game live from the Sintas Center today. I believe it's Murray State that we'll be taking on Xavier, and Richard Fatino makes his debut as Xavier coach today. So stay two for that fun and Ferrality for vrolity, and of course down the road, we got uc football right here on the home of everything that moves, sweats and wears a uniform. Seven hundred WLW twelve twenty nine News Radio seven hundred WLW. I am ken Brew coming up on the show today. We are a divided society and we are divided not just along party lines, but we are divided in terms of gender, we are divided in terms of demographic, We are in divided nation in terms of generation. And how do you bring it together? How do you make it work. Doctor Peter Lumage, who I've had on the show before, is back and doctor Lumage came to this country legally from Albania to escape socialism and now he's watching it try to embed itself into our country. And he seems to think that one of the reasons why democracy is on the run is because it's not really serving Americans at this point the way it should. So we're going to talk to him about how you bring everybody together, not the Kumbaya, but just to make this damn thing work. And then one six. This is I think a very interesting story. There's a band called the Atlanta Rhythm Section. They were big back in the seventies. Their lead singer is Rodney Justo. He jumped and left the band in the middle of its popularity, went off and tried to do his own thing, wound up stacking wine bottles in a grocery store in Florida. But now he's back with the Atlanta Rhythm Section and they are coming to the Ludlow Garage later this month. We're going to spend some time with Rodney Rodney Justo, all of that and more as we cruise till two on seven hundred WLW OH but thirty seven News Radio seven hundred at w WELW, I can brew good. Saturday afternoon two o'clock, it'll be an exhibission game between Xavier University and Murray State. Joe Sunderman and Byron Larkin back tickling the airwaves with their dulcet tones as the Richard Patino era begins. Of course, later on tonight we have uc Oklahoma State. They go out to Stillwater Oklahoma. I worked in Oklahoma many years ago, many years ago, and used to cover games in Stillwater. As I recall, that football stadium is laid out. Most football stadiums are laid out in north south. This one is laid out east west. And they would get out in Oklahoma these storms, they were called northeasters, where you might be, you know, walking around in short sleeves and the temperature is seventy eight eighty degrees and three hours later it's thirty eight degrees and there's hail falling from the sky. But that was like a wind tunnel. That stadium out there at Oklahoma State. They made great improvements over the years. T Boone Pickens, I'm sure you know that name, the oil guy, big time, big city, big deal oil guy. T. Boone Pickens is an alumnus of that school and has put a lot of money into its athletic programs, and one of which was an upgrade of the stadium. But man, I'll tell you what. When I was out there, the head coach was Jimmy Johnson. Yes, that's Jimmy Johnson. And you'd go to games there and it would just the win would as the song Oklahoma says the wind would come woving down the plane. Eight o'clock the kickoff time. The night weather looks good the UC the Oklahoma State game is just one of many on the schedule today. We want to talk about. Well, by the way, I said it was twelve thirty, as you and I both know, it's five o'clock somewhere. There's one for you. There's one for me. Well, there's one for the ages. I did light up ajpup top again. Alan Jackson, Baby, here's one for you.
Speaker 4: I've just got time for one more round.
Speaker 2: Sit them up, my praying, then what happens.
Speaker 4: And now be gone and you can live. Some of the.
Speaker 2: Fools sit down now. Unfortunately, Sterling is not into daddy. Nevertheless, we press on, Yeah, you see Oklahoma State tonight number twenty four in the country. Cincinnati is five and one, three and oh in the Big twelve, Oklahoma State one and five oh and three in the Big twelve, and the University of Cincinnati is a twenty four point favorite. Why Oklahoma State and its last five games, has scored a grand total of seventy two points. It's about fourteen points per game. Nevertheless, Scott Saderfield here now Scott talking about Oklahoma State and their offense and the fact they have a wide receiver now playing quarterback. Yeah, you have to be ready for everything.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a team that you know.
Speaker 5: Obviously they haven't had the best of the year, but they already is homecoming. They do have a lot of pride. All the alumni will be coming back. They want to play on a great show for their fans. You know, they got proud about themselves as well. So they're gonna We're gonna get their best shot.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma State. I believe UC was out there a couple of years ago. It did not go well and it you know, with the portal with nil, every single football team changes its personnel and its look and its ability to win almost on a yearly basis. So here's Brendan Soresby on the just the difference from one year to the next, one time against Oklahoma State to Glahoma State.
Speaker 6: Right now, just to culture, you know that we've established everybody understands our goal is to you know, being Dallas at the end of the year. Our goal isn't just to make it to a bowl game. So you know, the message is still the same. Go wan to know this week and just find a way to get better.
Speaker 2: Now, if they win, they go to six and one. You remember last year they're five and two and then the bottom falls out. They're five and one right now. And it's not just a bowl game and being Bowl eligible, as he said there will win tonight and their Bowl eligible. It's it's much more than that. I mean, if you look at the big twelve right now, it's you know, it's BYU is a player, Utah is a player, Cincinnati is a player. Now. I'm not saying that there are other teams that can't come in and on a given Saturday beat any one of those three teams, but you know, the cream is kind of rising to the top right now, and part of that cream is the University of Cincinnati. So that's an eight o'clock kick. We'll be on the air with the pregame show at seven o'clock and you'll get all the play by play action with Dan Horde, Tony Pike, and Moe Egger. And by the way, while we're talking about U, see I said this on Twitter, I want to say it publicly on these airwaves right now. I am completely saddened, like most of the UC community, on the passing of Jim Kelly, who was no greater ambassador lived that was a bigger ambassador for the University of Cincinnati than Jim Kelly. He obviously was from a family that is well steeped in University of Cincinnati lore. But above that, he was just a nice guy, really really nice guy. And men could he play the guitar. We'd see him at some of the farmers' markets around town in the summertime, or you go to a bar like street side or someplace where he would perform. He knew how to pick and he left this earth farm too soon. He did make it. Last Friday night there was a big reunion of the nineteen seventy five team team coached by Tony Mason, of which he was a part. He did make it for a while there. He had helped organize that particular reunion. I know it was a big deal for him, and made it as part of it for about an hour on Friday night of last week and then passed away on Sunday morning. But that's a giant hole for the UC community. And I hope, not sure, but I hope a lot of the players that are on the field tonight know exactly what he meant to that school. Just a really really good guy. Anyway, that's at eight o'clock tonight, coming up at three point thirty. You have Ohio State number one in the country at Wisconsin OSU six and OH three and oh in the Big Ten, Wisconsin two and four under Luke Fickel the Fickle's seat. There is tenuous two and four, zero to three inside the conference, and Ohio State is a twenty five point favorite in this game. Ryan Day on Wisconsin as he this must have been at his news conference this week Tuesday, Wednesday.
Speaker 7: Now, I know the season hasn't gone the way that they've expected it to go, but at the same time.
Speaker 2: Put the film on.
Speaker 7: You know, they're one of the better defenses in the country, and you know it takes is, you know, a few big plays and getting the offense and rhythm and they're going to be in these games.
Speaker 2: And so we know that. I don't think they're going to be in today's game. We'll see twenty five points is a hefty number for a home team. You got to be tickled by that a little bit, but I don't I would stray from that. Ohio State Wisconsin three point thirty. We have a NOOM game that has just kicked off Eastern Michigan at Miami up in Oxford, e m You two and five one two in the MAC. Miami three and three two and oh in the MAC. Miami is a thirteen point favorite. Another noon game that kicked off out in Athens. It's homecoming for Ohio University Northern Illinois at Ohio, Ohio favorite in that game despite laying an egg at Ball State couple of saturdays ago, but homecoming for the Bobcats. I got excited. I bought tickets for that game. I thought I wasn't on the air. I didn't have a game, you see what was playing. I got a chance to go to Athens for homecoming. Then I realized that the game wasn't last Saturday, it was this Saturday. So I'm dining on those homecoming in Athens. They've just kicked off. Now we've got a seven o'clock game tonight. Number twenty one Texas at four and two, one and one inside the SEC is at Kentucky down in Liewill, down in Lexington, Kentucky two and three oh and three in the SEC, and Kentucky is getting twelve and a half in this game tonight. This will be a rather large win if Mark Stoops team can pull it off. To pull it off, they will have to corral Arch Manning, the quarterback of Texas. Here's Stoops on Manning earlier this week.
Speaker 8: Do you see a very very good football player that's getting better, you know, each and every game, more comfortable, but a guy that just really will wow you. You know a certain place, you know, I think it, you know, just you know, simple things. I mean, watched this last game and I want to say it was a four point game. Backed up Oklahoma, got great pressure on him, evades the pressure and throws the strike.
Speaker 2: He did that time and time again. Twelve and a half is what Kentucky is getting at home in this game. They were off last weekend. Hopefully they've fixed some of the problems that they've had. They've had a myriad of problems. But two and three Kentucky against four and two Texas tonight at seven three point thirty. Today, you have Michigan State at number three Indiana, Michigan State three and three, zero and three in the Big Ten, Indiana six and oh three and oh inside the Big Ten and Kurt Signetti just got that big contract this week. Indiana is good. Uh, Indiana. I would not be surprised if Indiana's a Final four team this year. They're number three in the country. And Indiana is giving twenty seven and a half points twenty seven and a half points in this game today to Michigan State and Signetti here he is speaking earlier this week.
Speaker 3: But we got good players to prepare and like to play football, and they're smart, and they make good choices and decisions on the field.
Speaker 2: And no small reason why they're in the position they are and why he is man he is cashing in at the bank. One other thing of note that we have to mention. We don't have to mention, we want to mention it. We have soccer tonight. We have FC Cincinnati in their regular season finale. They're calling this what are they calling a showdown day, deadline day something or other decision decision day as teams are vying to get into the MLS playoffs or jockey for position. Here is the gambit for FC Cincinnati in this game tonight against the team from Montreal, FC Montreal. If FC Cincinnati wins tonight, it is the second seed in the Eastern Conference in the upcoming playoffs second seed. Right now, FC Cincinnati is tied for second place with Inter Miami CF that would be Messi's team. Inter Miami is also playing tonight, as are all other MLS teams. But Cincinnati wins, they're in second place. Or if Miami loses and it ends the way it is sixty two points as it ends because of tie breakers, FC Cincinnati finishes second. So you win, you're in. You lose, you're probably second. Somebody asks the coach Pat Noonan, look, you're gonna be doing a little scoreboard watching tonight, maybe to see what that team in Miami is doing.
Speaker 9: There's no reason to score watch if we go and control our what we control. If we win a game, we know we hold onto the two spots, so there's no reason to be paying attention to anything else.
Speaker 2: There. You go, focus, focus, Focus is what Noonan has been preaching this week, and we'll see if the focus narrative will hold up. We know right now, we know right now that FC Cincinnati has been playing better. They put a lot of money into their front line, and because of that, they've been putting the ball in the back of the net just a little bit better than what they have. But we shall see one of a note. We've been talking about it all day show. Hey Otani, third home run off his bat streaked towards those left field bleachers last night, and what do you know? Otani was simply electrifying one of the greatest single game performances in baseball history. Two way guy right, his thirteenth three run homer game in postseason. And not only that, the five to one victory over the Milwaukee Brewers has the Dodgers, the defending champion Dodgers, back in the World Series. Congratulations to that team. That's a good team. It's a team that proves you buy a lot of wins with a lot of money. Twelve to fifty one already, News Radio seven hundred ww One. Other thing I failed to mention, that's the American League Championship Series. Game six is tomorrow night and Seattle can wrap it up. They're up three to two. The game is in Toronto, but Seattle up three to two with Game six coming tomorrow night. So in April, the network Contagion Research Institute, I know, I never heard of it myself. Apparently there's a research institute netbook called the network contagion. If you have a network, please check to see if it's contagious anyway. This group, along with Rutgers University, largely viewed as the University of New Jersey, found that fifty five percent of self identified left of center respondents said that it was at least somewhat justified to murder President Trump. Let's think about that fifty five percent of the people this Network Contagion Research group talked to over half said that it was at least somewhat justified to murder President Trump. Is that where we are in this country? The bullets seemed to be flying one way. Let's be honest, they seem to be flying left to right. I guess we could go back to the jfk assassination. But the fact of the matter is, right now, there seems to be a problem with those who identify left of center. If you are to believe what is in this Rutgers University poll. You gov took a poll after Charlie Kirk was murdered. Eleven percent in that poll said violence can sometime be justified to achieve political goals. So what's going on here? We are divided? But now it appears that those that may identify on the left think it's ok to whip out a firearm and just blow away anybody you don't agree with politically. Do you believe this piece of research? You think it's a load of horse hockey. Coming up next is somebody who thinks all of this is off the rails, and it's going to take a lot of work to get it on the rails, because there's another poll that's out by the New York Times, and I know it, don't roll your eyes, but the New York Times shows that sixty four percent of us believe America is two divided to solve its problems. We'll get into that next. It's one o'clock News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Now your host can Brew on NewsRadio seven hundred WL seven.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the festivities. I am the aforementioned Coming up one thirty seven today, a guy who fronted one of the best bands that the seventies ever produced and then took a hiatus, left them at the peak of their popularity. But he's back. We're going to talk with Rodney Justo, lead singer Atlanta Rhythm Section. You know their hits. I'm so into you. Well, I am into you. And a lot of their guys have come and gone. Some have passed away, but they're coming back those that are left, including Rodney to the Ludlow Garage. We're going to visit about their music and where it all went off the rails for him? Where did it go off the rails for us as a country? Why is there such hatred by some people for Donald Trump? Before Donald Trump decided he wanted to run for president, he was the darling of the media. Letterman loved him, the view loved him, everybody loved Donald And all of a sudden, when Donald Trump said I'd like to be president trump Man, all hell broke loose and this country has been divided ever since. Does one man really have the power to do that? A New York Times Sieno Poul says, sixty four percent of us are two divided to solve our problems, a stunning drop and optimism compared to just a few years ago. Why is that standing by the way in on This is someone who I've had on the show before. He is doctor Peter Lumige. He is someone who emigrated to this country legally from his home in Albania. He has been here for thirty six years, achieved doctor status educationally. Now he's trying to become the Secretary of State in the Estate of connect Ticket and he's just wondering, like you and me, where all this went wrong and why the Democrats, it seemed to be, are so absolutely set against anything that Donald Trump wants to do. Let's bring them on in the aforementioned doctor, Peter Mimage, how are you on this glorious Saturday.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: How you doing I'm doing well too. I'm glad that you're here, because, as you well know, we are a country that is at each other's throats. And it's all because it seems like politics here. Now a New New York Times siena pol that shows sixty four percent of us of voters now believe America is too divided to solve its problems. And this is a stunning drop in optimism compared to just a couple of years ago. Sixty four percent, Doctor, that's two and every three of us think this thing is hopeless here in this country. Please give us some hope and tell us why. Yet again, the New York Times may be wrong.
Speaker 10: Look, I was reading the poll by the pool. But stand one thing, New York Times has not been.
Speaker 4: Doing justice to conducting these polls.
Speaker 10: And I would take that with a grain of salt when it comes to the American population. But for the fact that the American people, but for the fact that the media keeps from driving this divide between them, the academia, the politicians. Otherwise, American people ordinary posts like you and I. We wake up in the morning, we go to work, support our families. We don't think of a disliking each other. Somehow, New York Times finding that people to come up with a fall that sixty four percent or sixty three to sixty four percent of the American people believe that America cannot resolve its own challenges. They forget the fact that we have faced greater challenges in the past. You can go back to eighteen sixty one, eighteen sixty five, will report a civil war, We have the civil rights movements, we have the nine eleven attack. Somehow Americans find a way of uniting when it comes to Americanism. But New York Times, for whatever reason, you know, it's able to come up with these numbers.
Speaker 4: We still see people from all over the world.
Speaker 10: Wanting to come to the United States, both legally and illegally, because they see America as the exceptional nation that we are where people have the opportunity to live the American dream, to pursue the American dream, and every count that you have American born citizens trying to promote something that is not quite American. People like me who give United States thirty six years ago so refugee, we really are battled by it that they think that we are just another country in the world. America is that exceptional country that was founded by the founding fathers of this country, and it remains the strongest and the most prosperous and the greatest nation in the world.
Speaker 4: And I don't say that, you know, just because I live in the United States.
Speaker 10: It is the fact that when I compare it to the countries that I've visited, that I've seen, that I've lived in, it is just completely different from the rest of the war. And I think that we're maintaining that position, were maintaining out of those standards, regardless of what the New York Johnson Is reported on that bolt.
Speaker 2: But you know, Peter, it is not just the Times. In April, there was a group called the Network, Contagion Research Institute and Rutgers University sponsored this that had found that fifty five percent, fifty five percent of self identified left of center respondents said that it was at least somewhat justified to murder President Trump. In twenty seventeen, Yugov you know, the YouGov group, they were asked people, was it justified to advance political goals with violence? Eight percent said just a little bit justified. Well, they come back and they do that same poll again after Charlie Kirk was assassinated, eleven percent said violence can sometimes be justified to achieve political goals. Let's let's let's be honest here. The left of center group is a dangerous group right now now. And I think if you're getting something like what Rutger's got, and it could quite possibly be an outlier. And I don't trust any kind of uppolling. I think it is an outdated metric. But nevertheless, I don't see how you come back from something like that. That's that's that's radicalism right there, your thoughts.
Speaker 10: No one can deny the fact that we have been, you know, the United States has been radicalized in a certain group of or a certain part of the population in the United States.
Speaker 4: One of the greatest mistakes that.
Speaker 10: We have been making in the last I would say forty fifty years is that we have been importing certain cultures in the United States that they are not compatible with our values and what we stand for. Violence should never be justified to settle political differences, you know, in the United States or anyone else.
Speaker 4: In the work for that matter.
Speaker 10: But when you look at that goal, you see that the majority, that the largest majority of the Republicans disagree with that. I think it was ninety percent department mistake, or even greater. It was the fingers in the States that they believe that if you disagree with someone when it comes to certain political principles or values, violence may be justified, and that is something that we should never tolerate in the United States. But that number sometimes surprises me. That is not even higher when you see that we have professors in our institution that are promoted anti Americanism, and that they think that Republicans are evil, that President Trump is evil, that he's a notopted, that he's this passion that I mean, the way they describe the Republicans sometimes is like I'm surprised that.
Speaker 4: The number is not even higher.
Speaker 10: You barely hear Republicans or Conservatives or common sensical Democrats, including the Senator from Pennsylvania, which surprises me sometimes the left that way.
Speaker 4: The interview that he gave last night on Fox.
Speaker 10: Or he was speaking somewhere and I was following that, he said, I cannot dislike or hate Republicans. I'm the only Democrat in my family. Is that these people are not anti Americans. They are not passions, they are not these crazy give people that you think that they are. But then on the other hand, the Democrats, they stand it. But ninety percent of the media in the United States they keep them speaking or promoting negative things.
Speaker 4: But Republicans and so do.
Speaker 10: So do the educational institutions, although the newspapers sometimes and these numbers come from the left, and it's unfortunate, but you know that that number is quite you know correct when it comes especially center left, with Americans that they would believe in, you know, using violence to settle political differences. I thought that I would never see this in the United States, but unfortunately we've seen that, and we saw that with President Trump at twice there were you know, attempts on his life.
Speaker 4: We saw that with the assassination of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 10: And when you look at all these assassinations in the United States or attempted assassinations in the United States, the targets have always, with the exception of JFK, been Conservatives or Republicans, and the assassins or potential assassins, they have always been on the left.
Speaker 4: And this is this is.
Speaker 10: Something that the Democrat body is going to have to come to ex terms to understand that their membership has to be somehow, Uh, the more understanding of the differences that the Republicans or the political differences that the Republicans are you know.
Speaker 4: Presenting to them.
Speaker 10: And unfortunately I don't see that happening soon enough. Actually, we need that as soon as possible, that that body is going to have to understand that.
Speaker 2: Doctor Peter Image our guest. He is a conservative strategist. He is also a candidate for elective office in Connecticut. You know, I think about things about where all of this went off the rails. I remember the debates between Nixon and Kennedy, between Carter and Ford, between Reagan and Carter, and so on, and they were all very respectful debates. We all knew that the media, even back the mainstream media, even back in the sixties, was a leaning left operation. It is hard leaning left right now, ABC, CBS, NBC. It's just the way they are. They're populated by reporters and strategists and editors that have come out of liberal institutions, and so it translates into what we see and here on a daily basis. But I think this all went off the rails more I think about it, in the twenty sixteen election. The Democrats fully believed that Hillary Clinton not only was going to be elected president, but deserved to be elected president and should have been elected president. And when it didn't happen, I think that's when all of this stuff, this Nazis and this Hitler and all that, all that diatribe that had been thrown against the right. I think it all began in the wake of that. I don't think Democrats could handle the fact that Donald Trump, whom they loved, doctor they loved before he ran for president. I don't think they could handle the fact that Donald Trump was now president of the United States and the Golden Hillary was not.
Speaker 4: Am I wrong, No, you're not wrong.
Speaker 10: Actually, the keyword that you used to her here is that they believed that she deserved it to be the president of the United States. And I think that is what we should underline, that nobody deserves anything. You walk out there, you earn it, you work for it, you fight for it, and you get you convince people to vote for you. And I think that Clinton miserable failed to do that. So this Harris and Donald Trump was able to convince the larger part of the American population to vote for him, and they just to the American.
Speaker 4: People continue to over him.
Speaker 10: I mean, still the basis about ninety percent supportive of what Trump stands for and what he's doing to put America first. But when you look at the Socialist Democrats of America of America, for example, you look at the leadership that that movement had, and you look at the names over there, whether it's a Racid at the Leap or whether it's Omar or Ernie Sanders of Zorah Mondani. Now, I mean, you look at these people and it makes you wonder that most of them, or all of them, the exception of Bernie Sanders, they were.
Speaker 4: Not even born in the United States.
Speaker 10: They've come from countries that they were supposed to escape or at least we believe they were escaping, these liberal, socialistic policies, and yet they come to the United States and the moment they become an American citizens, they promote the exact same policies that they left behind in their countries which drove them out of their countries. And this is something that the Democrat Party has allowed this left wing part of the party to take control of the party. And now the more common sensical people, including the Senator from New York, they are afraid of these people, including Ocoegia Quarts, that they are going to primary them and remove them from power because they have guarnished so much support, whether it's the use, whether it's the minorities in these cities, where is the ones that they consider to be disenfranchised. I mean, they have garnished so much support in these cities that the common sensical Democrats are scared of them, and they're going to have to stand up to these, you know, so forth leaders of the socialist Americans and then just dismantle their policies. They have to have to bagbone the character and the fortitude to stand up with these people and tell them this is not American at all, and we're not going to tolerate this, and I hope they do that in this election.
Speaker 2: It's about about five or six years ago, but uh, doctor Peter Lmage wrote a terrific book. It's called My Father's Prayers, and it details coming to America, escaping socialism, and his hope for America. If you can find it, it's a tough fine, but if it's out there, it is a great read. And doctor Lemage, it's always great having you on. You stay well. We need to hear your voice and thank you for your time here.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. God bless you guys. I have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you too, you too. I mean the polling would indicat I mean, the Rutgers poll is an I think is an outlier. I can't believe at fifty five percent of those who say they are left or left of center would say that it is somewhat justified to murder President Trump. But it is increasingly clear that violence is becoming more and more not just violence, but violence involving firearms and injury to people is becoming more and more prevalent in our society. Three sets of polls, it's a minority of Americans. That minority, though, is significant. And unfortunately, if you add up the polls that you GOV polls, both of those plus the one that was done by Rutgers, ten to forty percent of people think violence can be justified to I obtain political goaling. And if that's not a concern, I don't know what to tell you. But if one man drives you to that amount of rage, you have to probably stop and look in the mirror and say, wait a minute, that's it. That's that that that's controlling my life. One would think it is one twenty two. On this Saturday afternoon, Xavier exhibition basketball coming up at two o'clock the Musketeers against Murray State. Little funny games at the Sintas Center that you will hear here on seven hundred wl W one thirty seven News Radio seven hundred WLW. Welcome back, I am ken Brew. Top of the hour, straight up two o'clock, we go to the Cintas Center, Joe Sunderman Byron Larkin and all the play by play of an exhibition game between Richard Patino's Xavier Musketeers, first ever appearance publicly with that team, and they go against Murray State in a little free game, little exhibition game, but a chance for you to not only see what the team looks like, but if you can't go, you can hear what it sounds like, because we'll have the play by play from the Cintas Center, and of course later on tonight we have you see Oklahoma State direct from Stillwater, Oklahoma's the Bearcats try to go six and one on this season at the half in Oxford, Miami twenty one Eastern Michigan fourteen. That one was first up for local teams out of the shoot today on this Saturday, right smack dab in the middle of October and in the middle of college football season. So all of that and a little of this formed in nineteen seventy. This was one of the top studio bands in the world, and then they figured out, you know what, we can make some songs ourselves. You probably remember the Atlanta rhythm section, Rodney Justo lead singer, Barry Bailey on guitar, Paul Goddard on Vastean Daughtry on keyboards, Robert Nixon drums, and J. R. Cobb on guitar. They call it soft rock. They called it in some cases country rock. But it was rock, and those boys could rock. But along the way, some members died and some members just flat out left. Like my next guest, Rodney Justo, was the lead singer of Atlanta Rhythm Section, and then he decided, you know what, I gotta go make some money because I got a family I got to support. And he left the band and left it for a long time, right at the height of its popularity. But they begged him to come back, and now he's back, and now they're back. The Atlanta Rhythm Section plays at the Ludlow Garage this coming Friday night, right here, right now from his home in Florida. Let's welcome on in lead singer, Rodney Justo. How are you on this glorious Saturday.
Speaker 4: I'm doing good, Ken, You know, I live in Tampa. It's a little bit warm, but I'll be sitting out of my underwear by the pool smoking a Cuban cigar very soon.
Speaker 2: You know, Rodney, I don't think a lot of people want that vision of you sitting in your underwear anywhere.
Speaker 4: You know. It's funny you say that because I'm thinking I have through a zoom interview, Like in the next couple, I gotta wash my hair. And I remember I used to look at the newscasters on TV, you know, yeah, and I wonder if they're wearing pants.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you something? Not always.
Speaker 11: I hear you.
Speaker 4: That was OK, there's gotta be a rebel out there someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, there's there's a few of us that are out there. So you're rolling through town again, and this is this is so good. Let's talk a little bit about this. How often? How often are you on the road? How many gigs a year do you play?
Speaker 4: The goal was to do fifty. Now fifty, as Ken is at least one hundred. You got to get there and back. Now this year we'll probably do sixty. I wasn't too crazy about doing all these dates, but whatever, you know, I don't nothing at home. Yeah, you know, yeah, you know, level of we played, level of the verage. It might have been.
Speaker 11: I think it was a second or third date we played after COVID and the reception was so good that when the gig was over, we told guys, these are the days that make you glad you're a musician.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely yeah.
Speaker 4: And I must say you, Ken, it's really about the people you meet. I mean, a song is a song. On the song we said, interesting thing, do you get tired of singing the same song lo time? No, you don't, because they're different. The audience is different. You know, it's a difficult to explain, but the same but different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to tell I want to take you back just for a second. I'm going to dig up some bones here. Rodney, Rodney and the Mystics, Rodney and the Mystics. Yeah, you guys, your band, which I think was a you had a band called the Candy Man a men. And then there's some guys that played in classics for and they were anyway, Rodney and the Mystics. If an act came to to South central Florida, it did not necessarily have its own musicians. It might be a singer, or it might be somebody that used studio musicians to record his or her song, where yeah, the band might not even exist. It just might have been made up by the studio. But you guys would would would do the music in these concerts where everybody be going crazy over the solo artists, and really what they're going crazy over is the music that you guys were making. You were I don't want to say a house band, but you were in much demand in that area of the country. When did you get that traction to go from what you were doing to becoming the band the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Somebody had to look at you and say, you know what, Uh, these guys are pretty aren't good and they probably could do their own stuff. So who was Who was it that got you from what you were doing with all of those those great singers that needed musicians to play live gigs. Who was it they caught you to get to Atlanta?
Speaker 4: It was Orbison because in his backup band it was Bobby Goldsborough. Oh and when Bobby Goldsborough got a hit, he left the band and they asked me to take his plate because they wanted to work when Roy didn't work, so you know, they had to make money, so they asked him, they asked me, and that's how that whole thing started. Okay, okay, yeah, okay, Orbison? And where are I get.
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 6: Was?
Speaker 2: You did that first album and then you left, right you went to New York and if I'm not mistaken you you started just doing studio work. You were doing singing and commercials and things like that, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well you know, it reched the point with the rhythm section that they were more intent on that point of making other people's records and doing jingles and you know and what have you. And I didn't want to do that. I mean I already invested two years in the band, and it was financial. I wasn't making any money. I had a daughter. It was sick. You know, you have to pay those doctors because like every stupid musician, I didn't have insurance. You do what you got to do to your your finily first, and you I moved to New York City. Yeah, and I had a good life. I love New York City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did well. You were on a lot of different commercials up there, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I see, you know, and the second background all records I enjoyed. I enjoyed that to some extent, but I always liked working life.
Speaker 2: Everybody thinks you disappeared, but you didn't. You just got you got on with your life. You did a little jingle work. And then somebody told me that you got into the wine business, the wine distribution business. Is that right? Is that true?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I never had a job before Ken and I decided, you know, I wanted to raise my family. I wanted to be with my children. I had an overwhelming walk for my wife. That's what I wanted to do. I wanted to come home. Yeah, I got a job for nobody wanted to hire me. Why would they hire me? I thought? I thought people would be happy to see I want to shown up, be like who were you? You know? But I could could now stand help to sleep? Yeah, well you get into so int you I can't get. I'd take a job for one hundred and fifty dollars a week dusting bottles in the grocery stores, oh my god, you know, and and worried by the way can of being a failure for one hundred and fifty dollars a week. I was scared of getting nervous. I mean, you can't hardly mess up a job for one hundred and fifty dollars a week. It's like fail in the first grade, you know what I mean? Well, well you're away.
Speaker 2: The Atlanta rhythm section is cranking out all those hits right, So into you, imaginary lover, I mean, so you're you. You made the decision. You you wanted to go. You want to go away and then raise your family and get a job. But was there any resentment? Did you ever second guess yoursel for doing that?
Speaker 4: That is such a good question, Ken, I understand why people would ask it, and I don't know if they believe me when I say I was ecstatic to them. It wasn't like I hated the guys on that. It wasn't one of those kinds of deals. First of all, if they were anywhere near Tampa, I was there with them, Okay, But no, I was never ever enough for one second, Yeah, envious or I was happy for the guys with my friends, will I would not be happy? Yeah, yeah, I understand that it's hard to believe.
Speaker 2: Well, oh no, it's not hard for me to believe because certain things about certain professions don't fit a person perfectly. And so they got to get out of it. And you know what you mentioned, Ronnie. Ronnie Hammond was was who you were talking about who was still in the group. But I found I find this absolutely amazing. You're you're on with your life, You're in the wine distribution business, I mean, and they're begging you to come Atlanta Rhythm Section. Maybe forty years after you left, they're begging you to come back and you're saying no, no, no no. But eventually you said, yeah, okay, you know I'll come back. Yeah, but what made you come back? Because it sounds like you had this whole other thing going on in your in your life.
Speaker 4: I retired, I said, Okay, I decided I'm going to retire. Sixty two. Well, I set out for a couple of years, starting to get my game back in shape when the band had dwindled down to just a keyboard player, being the only last original guy left. Now that many people want to show up to see him on nothing personal. Sure, but that's the case. So I got a call from him. The guy who was singing with the band at the time had a heart attack, and they called and asked me to fill in. Are you crazy? I've studied twenty five years now, please, man, you got to help us. We'll play in so Mohes. Oh okay, so I'll figure, okay, I'll do it. I'm what the hell did I agree to do? I don't remember these songs. I gotta remember all these songs, you know, in like three or four days plus a song that he used to do called Molly Malone. Oh I never sung Molly Molone. I had. I had to learn Molly Malone good. So now the funny part was two things. First of all, I could not say Molly. I kept singing Moses Malone, the basketball players Malone and then the other throw because genius was well, how am I to remember the song? I'll just print off the worddrobe put him down here on the floor, and I looked down and I'll say him, well, I forgot it. I couldn't see him, and they have my glasses never.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we can't wait to see you up here on Friday night at the Ludlow Garage. It's it's a good turf for you and it'll be a great show, I know. And uh, between now and then, you stay healthy because we need to hear your voice, and we need to hear you.
Speaker 4: And I used to watch you on television and you feel like I always felt like, how can I put it? You always looking to say something funny and everybody else wasn't gonna do you know? Yeah, and it's something that something yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man, those were those were the days, my friend stay well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, unfortunately we had them. I don't worry about losing them. I'm thinking about what I have You know, Amen, stay well, Rodney, all right, Ken, be good to yourself. Thank you very much, good questions, good imagination.
Speaker 2: One Little Garage is coming Friday Night. Ars you remember the album they had out, Champagne Jam. They had some they had some songs off that album sold over a million certified platinum. That's what this song was on. Imaginary Lover was on Champagne Jam. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna let it bother me Tonight was on that And I think the last one that they really produced and released was in seventy nine Underdog It Had to Do It or Die and Spooky. Some of the guys in the band originally were members of the Classics four and so there was a little inbreeding there. They redid Spooky anyway. As you know, I am passionate about a lot of things. I'm passionate about sports, I'm passionate about music, and I am passionate about what I drive. And I only drive BMW's from the BMW store. Did you know there are over three hundred and fifty BMW centers in the United States, but there's only one Uno, only one BMW store. It is ten minutes north of downtown Cincinnati, right off I seventy one. It's the Stuart Road exit. I've often said this, I will say it one more time. If you're riding through life, you might as well ride through life and luxury, which you'll always find at the BMW store. It's one fifty two Saturday afternoons. You and me seven hundred WLW