Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Here we go again. We get ready running.
Speaker 1: Back to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. And now your host here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 2: Well those darn big innings doing the Dodgers again, a six run sixth for the Chicago White Sox. Does it just seemed like it's snowball for image and and Jack Dryer, and it does in the Dodgers is a fall to the White Sox today in Chicago by a final of six to four. Hi, everybody, and welcome into Dodger Talk on this absolutely beautiful Sunday afternoon here in southern California, wherever you may be. Thank you for taking this with you, and join a little Dodger Talk here on this afternoon. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number.
Speaker 4: Jump on board.
Speaker 2: Got a couple lines open if you want to talk some Dodgers baseball. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Again, is that number? Put it in your phone, put it in your favorites. If you already have it there, we want to hear from you. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. A rough day in the sixth inning for the Dodgers, and it seems to be a reoccurring theme, especially the last week for this Dodgers team. Big innings by their opponents. For the fifth time in the last seven games, the Dodgers have allowed four plus runs to their opponents in an inning and it's cost them several times. Go back to last Sunday, the Dodgers gave up six runs in the seventh and end up losing to the Angels. Go back to Wednesday in Pittsburgh, a five run eighth inning in which the bulpen just imploded in a loss to the Pirates. Go back to Friday nine against these same White Socks, a seven run fifth inning, Rokie Susaki and the Dodgers bullpen just could not get out and a crooked number put up against them and what turned about to be a Dodger loss. Today, the Dodgers a one nothing lead. Im A Shean two times around this White Sox lineup five innings, looked really good, was getting swinging missus, was getting them to chase out of the zone, and had eight strikeouts over five innings. Then the sixth inning comes and he falls behind. He gets ahead to two to Sam and As Tansi, and he gives up a solo home run and all of a sudden it's a tie game. Then he gives up the base hit. Then Andrew Benattendi an RBI double and next thing you know, the Dodgers are down two to one. That was it for image Shean, and it erases really five innings of really good work from image Shean. Attacking the strike zone. Four of his eight strikeouts were off the changeum. He had a strike off off the fastball. He had a couple of strike offs off the curveball. He was really good through five innings. And I'll go back to the fourth inning. With two outs, he gives up a double to Colson Montgomery. Then he falls behind two to one to Braid Montgomery, and you're starting to think to yourself, Okay, here it is, here's that inning, here's that trouble. Two outs, double behind two to one to Braid Montgomery, gets a curveball in their first strike, then a change up and he gets strike three on Braid Montgomery to end the great job, great sequencing between him and Dalton Rushing gets a swing and miss and gets out of the fourth inning. Then in the fifth a one out walk does not come back to bite him, get the fly ball out and then a strikeout his longest inning eighteen pitches through five.
Speaker 4: Again not a lot of run support.
Speaker 2: It was only a one nothing game, but you felt pretty good about the way Immit Sheeen was pitching that third time around, and he gets hit around by the top of the lineup, and then Jack Dryer comes in and couldn't get an out, gives up a home run, a single, and then a two run shot to Mira Coosa's own chase my draft. The big inning against the Dodgers reared its ugly head again, and as Hose Mode has said, sometimes you can go series weeks, months without something like this happening. And in the course of the last seven games, the Dodgers have had five times given up big innings to their opponents, and for of those seven times it is hurt them and cause the loss, and today one of those games. It's tough when you give up six runs in the six and you feel like just you can't get anybody out. Driver is able to get out of it, but the damage have been done. Now to the credit, the Dodgers fought back with the run of the seventh, Mookie BET's home run in the eighth, moral Mookie in a second, and then Alex Frielan battling for an RBI double in the ninth. Dodgers had traffic on the base pats they walk o'tany he you know, hard hit ball by Pahz gets a force out at second.
Speaker 4: You know, things could be different.
Speaker 2: The ball, you know, it doesn't go right to mydraft who makes a great defensive play flipping it to the shortstop Montgomery for a force out. Who knows bases are loaded. Things get, you know, three ft four feet to a different direction. That ball goes up the middle for a base hit, and it's a different story. But as it is, the Dodgers fall short. They fall to the White Sox six to four, and it's these big innings that are really becoming problems. And I think Jose Mota touched on something really well where is that Dodger reliever outside of Alex Vesia that you could go to when when you see the momentum building from a team, and in this case today was the sixth inning, all of a sudden you're down two to one. You have got to put a stopper in there to stop what is happening in the momentum and get out of that inning without any more damage being done in hopes that your offense then will get it going down two to one, you got to have somebody who can clamp what is happening completely down, shut off that offense from the opposition, and get your bats back up to bat. Alex Vessi has really been the only guy right now that has proven to be a stopper, somebody who can end a threat even when nobody on or there's traffic on the base pass. Who else do you have confidence in right now? Not a lot of Dodger arms down there that you feel like, okay, we need an out, We need somebody to get us out of this jam. Tyne runs ninety feet away, you get you know, Tyne runs on base. Whatever this circumstance may be, but there is clearly momentum in favor of the other team that.
Speaker 4: You need to stop.
Speaker 2: Alex Vessi has really been the only guy I can think of right now. You can go to Jack Dryer has not been that guy. And Jack Dryer, for whatever reason, is just not having the command and when he does throw strikes, he's getting hit hard. Thus today giving up a home run, a single, and then a two run home run, and those were hard hit balls. The Coleson Montgomery two run home run, that.
Speaker 4: Ball was crushed.
Speaker 2: The Chase my Draft home run, solid content at good exit velocity, crushed. The Dodgers need some of these veteran arms to get healthy and get healthy quick. Brock Stewart. Brock Stewart and this bone spur at his foot. He has been hurt ever since he came back to the Dodgers last year. They need brock Stewart to get back and get back healthy and be a right handed arm that they can now count on is to come in and close an inning, get out of a jam, stop a big threat from the opposition. Edwin Diaz is still a ways away. Evan Phillips, I mean could be coming down the pike. I don't think he's close. He's not out there doing what brock Stewart's doing as far as building himself back up in minor league rehab appearances, but he kind of feels like the next guy out there. The Dodgers need to get some arms in that bullpen, and arms that they can rely upon to go out and get out of trouble and to bail out whatever has happened to the starter or the reliever in front of him. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seven. It has reared its ugly head. And I go back to the game in which Roki Sasaki had trouble, and Sasaki puts himself in his own trouble command issues, but then the bullpen doesn't necessarily come in and help him out. If your starter gets into trouble, you need guys out of the bullpen that can come in and extinguish a fire. They need somebody they can come in and put out what is starting to smold and get bigger and build a little bit more and the fire starting to go there for the for the opposing team, as far as momentum and runs and traffic on the base pass gos just in my mind at this point, just don't have anybody besides Alex Vesia, and he can't pitch every game. They've got to find somebody else. Blake trying at times. At time it's Blake trining, but there's nobody else right now. You just feel like, Okay, I'm gonna go down to him and he's gonna get me out of this situation. At Gardlo Rodriguez maybe at times, but then he's been up and down as well. Justin Robleski was that guy last year, but now he's a starter. Kyle Hurt, Will kleinb they were those arms last month, I mean last month in May. The Dodgers bullpen was the best in baseball. In June, they haven't. Now an era combined over eight and it is what June the fourteenth. Things could change quickly in baseball, the ups and downs of a marathon, one hundred and sixty two game season. Just when you feel like things are going right and you figured it out, things can change in a blink. Things can change in a game, in a series, in a week, and all of a sudden, thirty eight consecutive score innings combined by everybody and anybody down in that Dodger's bullpen has now turned into a bullpen. That's north of eight combined here in the month of June. How much confidence do you haven't Kyle Hurt last couple outings have not been good. Will climb Will clinb I still got confidence in him. But what he has done the last couple outings. You have three hits in an inning on Thursday in Pittsburgh. You know, you go back to what he pitched in the last road trip in Arizona got roughed up. I mean, they need more arms to get healthy down there in the back end of that bullpen.
Speaker 4: They just need it.
Speaker 2: And on the flip side, and David Vassi brought this up the last couple of days.
Speaker 4: It goes hand in hand with starting pitching.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can't have a bullpen continuously bail out starting pitching.
Speaker 4: Like they have in some of these games.
Speaker 2: You go back to the bad outing a week ago from Emmit Sheean put the Dodgers in a hole. Now you're relying upon the bullpen to be perfect.
Speaker 4: In May they were. In June, they haven't been.
Speaker 2: You look at the last Rokie Sasaki start, same thing happened, got into trouble, big inning. The Dodgers' bullpen had to be perfect and couldn't. The starting pitching needs to continue to go deeper into games. The starting pitching needs to be good. They got to give him five innings, at least they did today with Imagean, no doubt, but the sixth inning completely different story. And Jose Moda mentioned it, and if you're watching the game, if you were listening to the game, if you go back and kind of look at the numbers and the pitch by pitch, he didn't lose velocity.
Speaker 4: I mean, Sheen was still.
Speaker 2: Pumping seventy ninety seven ninety six, So wasn't a loss of velocity in the six It didn't seem like he didn't have that bite on his off speed pitches.
Speaker 4: It was still there.
Speaker 2: He just wasn't getting the chases and the promise. He made mistakes, and they pounded on those mistakes first three batters that he facing the sixth inning.
Speaker 4: So again it's a combination.
Speaker 2: Starting pitching needs to give them some depth and the bullpen, which had been perfect. And I know you can't be perfect all the time, but you go from being perfect for thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings to now a bullpen combined with an Era pushing over eight here in the month of June eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five said we'll take some phone calls here. Thank you for being patient. I appreciated Paul in El Segundo first up here on Dodger Talk after the White Sox score six in the six and beat the Dodger six to four.
Speaker 5: Hey doing, Paul, I'm good, Jim, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay? One more I think about this. This is getting a little frustrating, these big innings.
Speaker 4: Paul.
Speaker 5: Right, you're bringing up about the right handed relief.
Speaker 6: And trade deadline. I think let me ask you this. I think they should go for a dollars chapmin. So my question is whether he's gonna fit into that clubhouse. It also gives you, now you have a righty save in a lefty save when Diaz comes back, you know what I mean. So we talk about when it gets busy, sometimes you have to bring in a guy in the seventh, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 2: I get that, But you also are paying You're also paying a guy, and I appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 4: You're breaking up a little bit there, Paul.
Speaker 2: You're also paying a guy named Tanner Scott a lot of money this year and for another two years, big time money to be a closer, if not a closer, high leverage, end of game guy that can get you out in the seventh and eighth inning and ninth inning and closing out games.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the phone call, phone call.
Speaker 2: I don't see Andrew Friedman going and getting an eroald As Chapman at the deadline. I just don't see that. That's Tanner Scott's role. That's why you have Tanner Scott. That's why you have signed him to a big deal last year and didn't pay out in twenty five. He's pitched a lot better in twenty six. I'll be in a couple of hiccups. I know Arizona and the bomb that he gave up to could tell Marte.
Speaker 4: But for the most part, he's been really good.
Speaker 2: But I don't see Andrew Freeman going out and getting a left handed arm. Listen, look at the injured list for this Dodgers team at various times. These dudes should be coming back to help out the depth of this Dodgers team. I don't think there's a trade out there right now that Andrew Freeman. I mean, I'm sure there is. With Terrek Schouoble. I shouldn't say there's no trade. But you've got Evan Phillips sixty day il. You know he's on a rehabit simon the last day or two in Triple A Oklahoma City. Okay, there is a high leverage reliever you can count on. Hopefully he's healthy coming back the arm surgery. Brock Stewart. You trained for him because he was really good in Minnesota. How do we get that brock Stewart when he comes back healthy again hurt, it's gonna come back healthy. Tyler Glass now beginning to feel better, hopes this is a zum pitching here shortly and be back after the All Star break. Blake Snell, mister Snell Zilla, mister two time cy Young Award winner. When is he coming back well after the All Star break. You've got dudes on the injured list who, in theory, when they come back at their respective times, should be able to fill these needs that we're talking about right now. I don't see an Ewalda Chapman trade as something that you need to go out and make when you've got injured guys, or in this case of Tanner Scott, who's already there that fit that mold, that fit that need. As you said, as a left handed closer, you got Tanner Scott, So I don't and it's not into DNA necessarily at the trade deadline of Andrew Freeman to go out there and get that high leverage closer. They do that in the off season where you don't have to give up the prospects, and you can do it in free agency and it doesn't cost you in theory as much as far as you know, like I said, a minor league talent in your farm system. They go out and they get the Brox Stewarts. They go out and they pick up the relievers that aren't going to cost you a lot financially and aren't going to cost you a lot as far as prospects, and bank on the fact that they're going to come in and continue to have whatever good seasons they're having with your team. And they just got to get Brock Stewart healthy, got to get him back to what he was in Minnesota. Evan Phillips has got to come back like he was pre arm injury. You know, this is a Dodgers team out the position players. I mean Edwin Diaz when he comes back, hopefully you get the Edwin Diaz that you signed to the offseason as one of the best relievers in baseball the last few years, and.
Speaker 4: Certainly what he did last year in New York.
Speaker 2: You're hoping all these guys, when they get healthy, are going to come back and fill these voids, because that's what you're paying them to do, and that's why you brought them in, and that's why you sign them to the deals they did.
Speaker 4: So I don't see the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers going out again and making a deal just for the sake of getting a roll as Chapman, I don't see it.
Speaker 4: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy.
Speaker 2: Let's keep things going. We're gonna go to the golf course. We got We got Eric on a golf course checking in here on Dodge. First off, where are you golfing right now?
Speaker 5: Eric?
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm in Beaumont, California at Oak Valley. I'm on the fourth hole right now and I'm three over. So I've been voguing every hole so far.
Speaker 4: Playing great game. There luckal change.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what I'm playing just like the bullpen is.
Speaker 4: So there you go? All right? Is that it? Eric is that all you got.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, uh, Let's go after Chapman. Let's go get Chapman. He's lights out and you know this bullpen. We're just gonna have to piece it together. We've been doing that the last couple of championships and that's how we're gonna live, is just piecing the lineup together. And yeah, it's gonna it's up to the coaching staff and the front office and make some moves.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll be all.
Speaker 7: Right, Tim, We're in first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have all the confidence they're gonna be. Okay, Eric, play a little bit better. Okay, you're three over on the fourth hole, and we need you to step up your game. You can talk about the bullpens. Eric, I need you to step up your golf game right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, Kim, you.
Speaker 7: Know what, I just saw myself a paloma, So I will step it up.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: There you go, enjoy that Poloman, enjoy the rest of their round of your golf. There, Eric, I appreciate the phone call. In no way is anybody panicking. And this Dodgers team, the depth, just think think about this. The depth of this Dodgers team is what it's been built on. Now the depth has been challenged because the starting pitching has been hurt, and now the bullpen has been hurt, and the guys who have been pitching really well in are not pitching well in June. And so these big innings are being magnified even more so now.
Speaker 4: And how do you stop these big innings?
Speaker 2: Well, again, it's not just going out and making a trade for the sake of getting a rolled as che No, you have the arms, you have the commodities here already in house. You have those weapons offensively that are gonna get healthy in taoscar and Will Smith, and I'm not worried about that. These guys just need to get healthy. The good thing is, I think the Dodgers will be fine through the All Star Break and post All Star Break. I think there needs to be a line, there needs to be a line from Oklahoma City to La of guys just coming back off the injured list, whether it's position players, whether it's pitching, starting, or relievers. These guys need to start coming back. And when you pull back the scope here of the season, why rush a pitcher back Evan Phillips when you wouldn't do that coming off of Tommy John surgery, Why rush back somebody who's maybe not one hundred percent in the back's flaring up a little bit in Tyler Glass Now in mid to early June, when you still got the end of the month, you still got July, August, September to go for this season, just to get.
Speaker 4: Ready for postseason baseball.
Speaker 2: So there is no rush for these guys to come back before the All Star break. But I think once you get to that Midsummer Classic and we get to the back half of July and that first road trip in New York against the Yankees, and they'll see the Mets again in those first couple weeks after the All Star Break in New York, these guys gotta start getting right. And at that point they need to start getting healthy and building and building for September. They've built themselves a good lead here in the division. They're still playing well. This is the first series they lost since what the Brave Series in the second week of May. So again sky is not falling. It's not to the end of the world, but certainly these big innings and the lack of the bullpen coming in and clamping these innings down and stopping the momentum of the opposing team in these big innings has been a problem, and they need to find somebody that could come in and be that that that fireman, that guy who can come in and extinguish whatever fire is started offensively for the opposing team. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven two five to seven will come back, and we're gonna hear from you. Eight six six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is a number Dodgers fall in Chicago. They lose to the White Sox six to four. Immed Shean gave up three in the six left with the runners on. Jack Dryer continued the mess, giving up two home runs. It was a six run sixth for the White Sox because they beat the Dodgers six to four right here on Anti seven ALA Sports Live everywhere, including the golf course on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find me back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Taylor delivers Bookie Swings drives one deep to left. This ball back in, This ball gone in a White Sox bullpen. Rookie Betts with a seventh home run of the season. It's six to three.
Speaker 4: Mookie Betts with a home run in the eighth.
Speaker 2: The Solos shot. Mookie Betts starting to heat up. His fifth hit in the last two days. He had three yesterday, he had two today, raising his batting average down to two oh four on this season. I know it's not great, but he is starting to get hot here on this road tip. Hopefully he can carry that home to a uniclo field the Dodger Stadium beginning tomorrow against the Tampa Bay Raised. Daniel Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty Daniels Juelers gift card. Just visit a five seventy LA sports dot Com keyword home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Dodgers loose to the White Sox six to four. Had a one nothing lead that was gone in the six when m Machine and Jack Dryer gave up six straight hits, and all six of those runners would score either by hits or home runs and a six to one lead turned all of a sudden into a six to four game. In the ninth inning, Dodgers made it interesting with the tie and runner on, but could not get the base hit they needed.
Speaker 4: They had stranded eight runners today.
Speaker 2: They were zero for seven with runners in scoring position as they dropped two to three in Chicago. They go three and three on the road trip, and they fall to forty five and twenty seven on this season. Let's go to maryon Long Beach. Thanks for being patient. Mary, Welcome to Dodger Talk on this Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Already.
Speaker 8: Hey, I am so dandy even though my Dodgers lost today. But you know what, we're just waiting on glass and snow. I wish we were waiting on Dzuka that we do that this year A case and.
Speaker 9: Ed when dis coming back, Well he's coming back.
Speaker 8: I mean, come on, you're gonna We're gonna clean up everything.
Speaker 2: It's a long list of guys they're waiting to come back. And as I said, there needs to be that train coming from Oklahoma City post All Star break with these guys healthy and ready to go and ready to help out this Dodgers team. Because the guys who've been doing it for the first three and a half months of this season. You know you're starting to see some inningans mount up. I appreciate the phone call, Mary. I look at Justin Robleski. You know, Justin Robleski's already passed his career high in innings.
Speaker 4: Pitched at the big league level.
Speaker 2: Again, small sample size has been a reliever now as a starter this year in twenty twenty six, you're gonna see those numbers greatly increase. I get it, but you're now looking close to seventy Indians pitched. You know, can he throw another sixty seventy innings here and be one hundred and twenty innings in his first year as a real starter at the big league level. That's a lot of Indians. That's a lot of wear and tear on a guy's arm, and he wasn't even supposed to be in the rotation to start off this season. You know you're counting on Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now to be healthy. Eric lower was brought in to be that six starter so they can keep guys somewhat fresh pitching once a week, and again, the Dodgers have been very fortunate with the six man rotation, you're not asking guys to pitch more than one time a week.
Speaker 4: That's a nice luxury to have if.
Speaker 2: You're the Dodgers, and they've been able to enjoy it now through mid June, and I think that's the plan to keep it going. Certainly, when you've got Otani pitching once a week and you can limit Yamamoto to pitching once a week, that's great. You're alleviating extra starts from them and wear and tear during the regular season and mileage on their arms here in the regular season.
Speaker 4: But at the same time.
Speaker 2: They're gonna need other guys to come back post All Star Break, because they're all gonna eventually come back off the injured list and help out this Dodgers team and build on what they've already able to do going into the All Star Break and beyond. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five. Any Carlos in Valencia the six six one checking in here on Dodger Talk on this Sunday.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Carlos?
Speaker 10: Hey, Jim, how you doing? Man? He's doing? Locations on your daughter's graduation, By the way, much props to you and your family.
Speaker 4: By the way. I appreciate.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And by the way, I'm not playing golf, so I'm just.
Speaker 2: Are you watching the World Cup though, Carlos, I'm catching soccer fever.
Speaker 4: I don't care if it's uh, you know.
Speaker 10: When it comes around. Yeah, every four years when it comes around, for sure. I don't have a you know, much interested in soccer except for that. But uh, to get back to the golfer though, I'm sure he was drinking a few pilomas before he called in and got your eyer up.
Speaker 4: What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: We got we got guys coming back.
Speaker 10: We'll be We'll be okay, We'll be okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Shout out to my man Lou out there, who thinks we're not going to make a three feet this year.
Speaker 2: Uh, Lou, Lou's got something else that he needs to be thinking about. I appreciate the phone call, Carlos. This team is gonna be okay. They just can't afford any more injuries. And you think about what they have been able to withstand here through the first three plus months of the season. I mean Will Smith has just been banged up and not playing every day and not been the Will Smith of the last couple of years where he was an All Star and you're asking Dalton Rushing to play a lot more and he's done a very good job of doing that. He continues to grow as a player and as a catcher. You know, you haven't had Tyler Glass now or Blake Snell for that matter. Blake Snell made what one or two stars? That's it here in twenty twenty six. You know Edwin Diaz was great initially. And then the bodies in the elbow, which we have learned has been a new name for you know, chips elbow chips, bone chips in the elbow that have that bark and really, you know, irritate a picture when they throw. Doctor Neil Latrosh told Petro some money that during the week is I know a lot of you have been saying, what is this new term bodies in the elbow? What does that mean? Loose bodies? It's just chips, you know, bone ships that are irritating or getting certain spots in your elbow and you can't shake it free or give them the mood around because they're just stuck and so they cause pain and in some cases if it's not pain, they cause you for preventing to really extend your arm and throw the pitches you want, and thus you don't have the same life on your fastball or your off speed pitches. And you know, this is the new term loose bodies. So we've had two Dodger pitchers have that surgery, and both those pictures hopefully will be coming back post All Star Break eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Ken in Newport Beach, Ken, how you doing, my friend?
Speaker 5: Well, the twenty foot waves are gone, so now it's boring.
Speaker 4: And you don't paddle out, do you? Ken? Did you go out and watch there at the wedge and in other spots?
Speaker 5: You know what, I've lived in Newport for fifty years. I lived on the ocean front for thirty years. Never served in my life. But I went out and match crowd and looked at those waves and it was just they were stark crazy to him? Yeah, cool, all right, just a couple of comments. I don't think that she is a starting pitcher. He's a four or five in pitcher. Every time he gets still later he gets crushed driers two games in a row has got crushed. And his fastball is for me. I think you need to take him out of that world you mentioned about free and uh, he's three for twenty. He was getting good. He's three for twenty in the last eight games. And there's a big hole in two places, number one, second base, and that guy's coming back. He's in the minors in the right field. How long are we going to go on with a sixty million dollars guy hitting two twenty three. It was a bad fielder. It changed those two things, and we're gonna win a championship. But there are major deals right now, and when the injuries changed, we'll be back where we need to be. And by the way, the White Sox are a really good team and their best hitter is injured. Yeah, there's the ball, so they are they are game. But yeah, that much you can do.
Speaker 2: Now, can I appreciate it? One of those big innings they give up again today? Thanks for checking in. Ken from Newport Beach. You ask about Kyle Tucker. I mean, I'll give you sixty million reasons why he's not coming out of right field. I mean that alone explains it. They're just they're not going to pull the rip cord on Kyle Tucker. He is second highest paid player in baseball, right. I mean, he's per year.
Speaker 4: It ain't happening, Kyle Tucker. They are going to ride through.
Speaker 2: His ups and his downs, and his goods and his bads here in this course of the season. I think, on a positive note, you look at what Mookie Betts has been able to do over this road trip. A couple of hits in Pittsburgh, hit the ball hard, even if he didn't have the success to show for it. And then you go to Chicago and he has three hits yesterday and he has two more today. I'll be an infield swinging bunt. You'll take it a positive result. You build on that. And what did he do later in the game. Dodgers were down six to two. Mookie Bets goes deep, hits a solo home run, his first home run in the month of June. And you know, all of a sudden, Mookie Betts, who hadn't been hitting over two hundred since March, is now hitting two oh four again. It's not something that's gonna jump on. Oh look at what Mookie Betts is doing. He's on fire, no, but he's trending in the right direction and he's starting to stack at bats and games and series, and you hope they can build on that moving forward in this home stand with three against Tampa Bay and then three against the Baltimore Orioles Dodgers. Baseball is brought to by Medello Midello The Mark of a Fighter. You mentioned Tommy Edmond. He's in TRIPAA Oklahoma City. kN alluded to a second basement coming back off the injured list.
Speaker 4: Well, he is scheduled to.
Speaker 2: Come off the sixty day IL, and Dave Roberts wasn't there to talk to the media today. He is with his daughter and his family up in Stanford for her graduation from Stanford, and congratulations to her and the Roberts family. But I expect Tommy Edmond, when he's eligible to come off the IL on Tuesday, should be back with the Dodgers, if not shortly thereafter. I mean, it's he's been in the minor leagues in Triple A on this minor league rehab assignment for a while now, and he think about this. He's not just been playing second base, it's been playing a lot of third base as well in Triple A Oklahoma City. Why is that important, Well, it's important because the odd man out out of this could be Alex frielan Santiago Espinal. And if that's the case, you got Tommy Edman, who can play third when you're gonna give Max Monty a day off. And you got Tommy Eemen, who can play second on an everyday basis as a switch hitter, so he can fill a couple of needs there playing two positions in the infield.
Speaker 4: When this is a Tommyeman who you ask.
Speaker 2: To play center field last year, Watt's not gonna be the case anymore. You got Andy Pajez Roman center field. Let's continue out in the phones. Thank you for being so patient. We appreciate it. Let's go to Bill and Mission Viejo. Bill, your next up on Dodger Talk. After the White Sox hang on and beat the Dodger six to four in Chicago.
Speaker 4: How you doing Bill?
Speaker 5: Yeah? By the way, was this the bullpen game for the White Sox.
Speaker 4: It was an opener with Eric Fetty. He was going to get most of the Bullkanny. There was a.
Speaker 2: Strategic move to have the left hander come in Hudson and try to face the lefty and Otani and then Freeman, also a left hander, at the top three of the Dodgers' lineup. It backfired because Freeman hit the home run, but it was set up to be lefty dominant to start the game to bring in Eric Fetty, so it wasn't really a bullpen game.
Speaker 5: Dodgers started.
Speaker 7: To have given up eight home runs on this road trip is not something it is.
Speaker 4: It's way too many.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers' bullpen got an ERA north of eight now in the month of June.
Speaker 4: That's not as good as either.
Speaker 2: That's a recipe for disaster when you've got your starters not able to keep the ball in the ballpark and your bullpen is just not able to keep runners off the base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the guy that face she and it's only a second home run of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he hit it far, and he hit it on an O two fastball. I appreciate the phone call, Bill, Yeah, he crushed it. That was an Antonasi a solo home run in the sixth inning on an O two pitch.
Speaker 4: Again, right there.
Speaker 2: That case, you give up a home run, the guy beats you on a fastball, you tried to sneak by him. He hits you deep for a home run. Not a power hitting guy. Top of the lineup, for the White Sox. It's a one to one game. At that point, I need image shean to, you know, bear down, throw strikes and get out, get out of that sixth inning. Go out there and and battle. Now, get aggressive to one one game. You know you're you're you're backing it, fighting against the team, and you're facing the number two hitter and you give up a single, well, then you give up an RBI double to been attendee. They start hitting you hard, those three guys, I mean all of them hard hit balls.
Speaker 4: He's got to figure out.
Speaker 2: And Jose Modis said this earlier when he was with us in the Clubhouse Show.
Speaker 4: It's called taking that next step.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're pitching, well, some adversity comes, You get hit, you get punched. It's the one to one game. How do you react to that punch from the Chicago White Sox? How do you come back and battle back after giving up the game tying home run and now all of a sudden it's one one.
Speaker 4: The number two batter is up for the White Sox, and that of course is Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 2: Well, you fall behind three to zero, you get it to a three to two count before throwing a ninety six mile an hour fastball right down the middle, and Vargas, who is clearly one of their top two players right now, bangs it to left for a single steal. Second on, you still a one to one game, and what happens to Benettende again? This is where I need imit. Shean to bounce back after the punch in the home run and attack.
Speaker 4: You fall down in three to zero.
Speaker 2: You give up a single to Vargas, Ben Attend he comes up, and you fall behind two oh in the count. You get a strike swinging on a slider out of the zone, so you get him to chase, and then you leave a ball down the middle Ben Attend He hits it to right for a double, and all of a sudden, now it's a two to one game. At times, you just tip your cap to your team and you say they got the best of me. But I just want to see him take that next step, fight, come back, punch out a guy, get a ground ball out, put up a zero the rest of the way, and leave it one to one. Leave the game feeling good about how you finished in a one to one game, and hand it over to your bullpen and your offense to do the rest. You can't have more damage hit upon you. You can't have a worse inning. Continue to build, and then if you're Jack Dryer, I mean Jack Dryer comes in runner on and gives up a home run of the first battery he faces in Colson Montgomery, I mean an absolute, no doubt about her on a fastball, on an OH one pitch.
Speaker 4: You've got to be better than that.
Speaker 2: You just have to or else this is gonna keep happening, these big innings that you're posing teams are having. And again, for the fifth time in seven games, the Dodgers have allowed four plus runs in an inning. They lost to the Angels last Sunday, giving up six runs in the seventh. They lost to the Pirates on Wednesday in Pittsburgh, giving up five runs in the eighth. They lost to the White Sox on Friday night when they gave up seven runs in the fifth inning, And they lose to the White Sox again today giving up six runs without even recording an out in the sixth inning, ended up losing six to four. Just gotta be better. These big innings have got to stop. Gotta stop moving forward, all right, that's gonna do it?
Speaker 4: Is he sneaking? Is he real quick? Is he in Anaheim? Is he? I want to hear it? How frustrated? Are you?
Speaker 9: Very trustrated with the bullpen right now? I think, yeah, I'm dis frustrated, But you know what I kind of kind of did this year so far. You know, I'm not saying that I'm gonna make it the playoffs. They will, but I guess we're just gonna have to deal with the condition. They're let not forget Dave Robert hash It's gonna be the tempest season pig In.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're gonna be all right?
Speaker 10: Is he?
Speaker 2: I got confidence? It's just frustrating right now. And appreciate the phone call. We'll check in with you in the in the next couple of days. Yeah, it's it's got to stop these these these big innings. And it can't just be Alex Vessia who is the fireman to come in and extinguish what has become a smoldering fire and then just a raging inferno like it was today with the six run six and it was four previous times over this week against the Dodgers in a losing effort. All right, that's gonna do it? For Dodge Talk. Many thanks to Colin Ye. Many thanks to you for being a part of the show. We really do appreciate it. We know you got a lot of choices, especially on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, got guys like Jonas Knox driving around, hanging out and joined the beach life out there.
Speaker 4: In the eight ZHO five listening checking in what's up? Jonas? Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: We know you got a lot of choice, SOEs, thanks for taking us with you wherever you're at on this Sunday afternoon. We'll be back at it tomorrow with Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck beginning at six pm. Dodgers back home at Unicloi Field the Dodger Stadium as they play host to the Tampa Bay Rays and the three against the Orioles this weekend. First up, Eric Lower Nick Martinez, the pitching matchup in the series opener tomorrow night. Again, Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six. First pitch right here on AMPI seventy is at seven to ten, and enjoy the.
Speaker 4: Rest of your Sunday afternoon. Fox Sports Radio is coming up next. So long everybody, how busing makes so Similarly, a still strong playing