Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Scott flowing back on seven hundred. Wow, mother nature will not let it go holding a grudge like my mom. Good lord, We'll let it go. It's over, it's done with winter. Uh So five months on the sidelines. Now, it has been five months since they canned Chief Teresa Thiji from Cincinnati Police. Five months. Well, I shouldn't say it, and she's she's on leave or whatever they call suspended, but five months, come on, So her, this now exiled woman is fighting back. Her attorney came out hot yesterday calling this whole investigation a hatchet job, because this is the third extension they've had for Frost Brown Todd to do an investigation to find out why they fired someone five months ago. Normally you have costs at the beginning, not at the end. It's a cluster or waiting for the report to come out in two weeks. So what's the strategy here on that is a local attorney, former defense attorney in private practice now and UH employment law expert Jason Phillibum Jason, welcome, harre.
Speaker 3: You, good morning, doing very well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Fiji had been unpaid administry forin since October of last year, so that's almost five months. I said. Frost Brown Todd is doing the investigation. They've now extended it. It's gonna be they're finally wrapping up, I guess at the end of this month. So he got a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Stephen m a very good employment lawyer, held a press conference yesterday. He said the whole thing was a hatchet job, and he warned the city uh that they're going to move forward with a lawsuit. He claims that she was usually a scapegoat during the election last fall, that violent crime is actually up since she's removed, and no one's saying that interim chief Henney should be let go, and she wants her job back. And this is a classic employment litigation pre positioning. And he's playing the game pretty well. But let's begin with some of the more obvious questions now that everyone's up to date on what's going on with Terry Thiji. So the hatchet job comment before the report's released, that is that smart? Does that risk alienating a potential jury pool down the road? Is that the right play?
Speaker 5: It almost tells you that they think something bad is coming. Because I thought it was pretty interesting that he would come out. He would basically put one of their strongest arguments up front, which is, hey, crime has gone up. I mean quantitatively. It's just like fifty two deaths in the first you know, two three months, where it was only thirty two the year before. So there's a quantitative number right here, and we're still investigating this woman and that's wrong. So I think that's interesting because what it allows is it's almost like the Supreme Court argument before brief comes out, they all tell each other what they're going to say, and then they write their descents ahead of time. Its almost like he did that, and now it almost gives the other side a chance to put that number in in the report and say, yes, that's true. But and then they explain it away. So I found it interesting. I think it has some strategic value. But I also think that it tells us that there's probably a negative report coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would think so too. But but also can the defect Can Steve im here play that, well, it took you five months to final Why did it take five months if you had all this stuff against her? Why did we wait five months to do this? Why didn't you build a case before you fired her and then presented to her when she was terminated or at least done leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: First, the first thought that comes to my head is that the old saying where you find me a person, and I'll find you a crime.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: I mean some moost like that where they're they're now searching and they're turning under you know, every stone looking for something. And what bothers me is, yes, it takes five months. They're just going to say we're being thorough, we want to be very thorough, we want to make sure we've talked to everybody. But I'm also again reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing there's there's probably some policy that she violated, or maybe not one that she violated, something that she left you know, her her staff violate. That's probably what it's going to come down to. But you know that I've told people about this is look, at the end of the day of police chief or crime. In my opinion of twenty six years, crime happens because the police chief is not you know, doing something correctly, the judicial system is not enforcing.
Speaker 3: Well, or you know, you're not hiring enough.
Speaker 5: Because she only has control of one of those and the one that she has control over. There's now statistics from her attorney that the new interim police chief done something that actually made crime go up. So the only thing she had control about shows that the new guy is actually not doing as well as her.
Speaker 2: And you know, you mentioned that there's a pre coops use that pretext all the time when they pull someone over. They okay, you know, I think something's going on here. They touched their wheel, touch the fog line, or uh, you know, the third break light is out, or you didn't see you to the signal too earlier to I mean, they if they're going to pull you, they're going to find a reason. Same thing here, we're gonna we're gonna fire you and then find the reason why. But so now it's what two weeks out before this report drops? What is him actually trying to accomplish legally? Two weeks before why now? Why yesterday?
Speaker 3: I think he's probably trying to control the.
Speaker 5: Narrative only because he's expecting a bad report. I mean, some of the strongest arguments is that she was let go two weeks before the election. There's a strong argument that if the mayor would have lost the election and the senior manager might have been out to because he appoints it, then the city council approves her appointment. But so there's a strong argument this was political. Someone had to be the scapegoat or rising crime because that's something that the elector they just they don't want to tolerate anymore. So that's one thing. And then secondly, now that you're getting ready to because once you file that lawsuit, then you have to be very careful in what you say because then courts get mad if you start talking when there's a pending lawsuits. So it's almost like he use his strongest argument now because as soon as the report comes out, they're probably going to file something as soon as possible, and then at that point he's going to have to be a little bit more careful about what he talks about.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, he made the direct comparisons you did and how Fiji was treated versus Chief Henny Interim Chief Henny. Why is that comparison so important in this in a wrong ful termination claim?
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's a number of things you look at when someone's treated differently, and one of them is by gender. So was she treated differently than the male counterpart? Was, you know, and then you go into things of that nature, and then you have to again look at quantifiable numbers because I'm guessing that you know, policies that were broken here when they do a full investigation, they were probably broken across you know, It's like anything like you said, driving, I mean, how many people speed, you know, even if it's one, two, three miles, Well, technically that's the violation of the law. So I think you're going to find some technical issues. And then the argument she's going to bring up as we'll wait a second, I'm the only one being mistreated, and I happen to be a female, which is a protected class. All the men that came before me and after me that were allowing the same thing, they weren't treated that way, and so that's going to be one of their strongest arguments for an employment.
Speaker 3: You know, discrimination or something of that nature.
Speaker 2: Does age factor in as well as sex.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 5: Anyone over forty is a protected class too. But if everyone that the police chief is over forty, then that kind of negate that she's being treatedly different than maybe another police sheef because I'm not aware of any that have been under forty, So age is a protected class, but I don't know that it would play that much of it is because other police chiefs are probably around her age as well.
Speaker 2: Attorney Jason Phillibaum on the show explaining the intricacies of yesterday's press comforts by Stephen m the attorney for interim well a former former chief Terry Fiji. The interim is Adam Henny and calling this whole instigation that's been going on now for five months. They terminated essentially five months ago, and now they're going to come up with a report just about two weeks away that tells you why they fired her in the first place. I think most people look at that and go, okay, it sounds like a hatchet job. So using those words, I think we're correct. But he's setting the stage here, obviously positioning, prepositioning for what's about to come out. He specifically tied her removal to the timing of the election last October November. So how hard is that to prove political motivation was the real reason behind this move? And because it's it's you know, if you throw something out there that you can't substantiate, because only a fool, I have to have pure of all is no fool would say yeah, of course as political entirely. That's a whole separate incident and problems for the city and in particular the mayor legally speaking, so he can't confirm that. He just ignores it. So if you throw something like that out, it kind of just floats out there. That does that help him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 5: It's like motive, motive and a murder case. You have to prove why someone did what they did, but having that information is just now extra flavor to the case. That makes a lot worse sense. So when you go into a trial on this you wrongful termination. Essentially, you're going to claim that this was all political, and you may not be able to prove that there's an email going from the mayor to the city manager saying, hey, get rid of her. But at the end of the day, you're fighting for your political life, You're two weeks away from an election, and you're let go when no one else that's been inder the same situations and let go.
Speaker 3: I think the argument is this is this.
Speaker 5: Is political, and then whether or not the jury agrees with that or not, it just kind of adds flavor to Hey, who was this female treated differently than the other males. And then you know, if I were the mayor, I'd almost lean into it. I'd say, yes, it's political, that's my job. My job is to make sure I do what the people want me to do. People were getting upset about crime, and so I replaced the police chief. It's like, if you lean into it, you could try to make an argument that yes, I'm doing what the people want. You know, they want me to make sure, you know, city is safe. So I don't know that. If I were the city I would stay away from that as much. But you know, at the end of the day, I'm guessing. You know, the way politics are and everyone hates politicians, they'll probably say, no, this is because of a policy. But that's the other thing is they didn't know about the policy until after the investigation. That's the other strong argument that she's going to make is a wait a second, You found that that I touched that white line after the fact, Yeah, how can that be used to justify my removal?
Speaker 2: In October, Jason Philibum Terry cig signed a memo. There was a memo that that said she serves at the pleasure of the city manager. Does that does that undermine her legal opinion.
Speaker 5: Here, not necessarily, because everyone here in Ohio is at will, which means you can be terminated for any reason. I had a client called me up the other day that thought their boss was being a jerk, and I had to say, I'm sorry, but being a jerk is not against the lall. Now, certain things that they may do could rise to the level, but you know you're at will. If they want to let you go because they don't like you anymore, then theoretically they can. Now if they let you go because you're the female in the office and all the other men aren't being let go, now you have an argument that you're being treated differently. So in that particular case, the fact that you know the city manager you serve with the pleasure, that's true, you're at will. But at the end of the day, that doesn't mean they can terminate you just because you know of a protected class reason or something like that. So if it's you know, I think if again, if they leaned into it, if they just said we want to make a change, we don't like the direction this is going, and then they just made a change, I think they would have almost a better situation.
Speaker 3: Than if they went through this whole investigation.
Speaker 5: Is now it looks like she's being treated differently than the other males, and then that's going to be the strongest argument that she makes when they get in the court.
Speaker 2: Well, that whole at the pleasure thing. At the same time, it goes the other way. That knife cuts both ways. A city manager share long has the authority to fire the chief without cause. So why go throughout five months multi extended with three times extended investigation for this if you could just fire her anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, you know, going back to that murder case where the spouse shoots the other one in self defense and then instead of just calling the police and saying, hey, I did it self defense, they start hiding the weapon, they start cleaning up the and then all of a sudden, you know, they're not going to believe that self defense claim anymore.
Speaker 3: So in this situation, if they just said I'm getting ready.
Speaker 5: Because crime going up and that's not tolerable right now, they would probably have a stronger case.
Speaker 3: And oh, well, let's put you aside.
Speaker 5: It's doing an investigation and now we're going to let Now, now it's going to almost look like a cover up, and that's what you end up running into when when you get into corn is if they think trying to hide something, then you're going to be not so trusted and your reasoning won't be trusted either.
Speaker 2: If the city fires are after this report comes out, what claims you think Steven m files on her behalf wrong, coltrimination, defamation, something else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think those are gonna be the big claims that they go after. I also think, you know, what kind of investigation, whether or not that was fair, whether or not anything was coerced. You might have some you know, for example, she still may have friends in that police department, and they may come to them and say that the investigation, you know, they were using some pretty severe techniques to try to get information, like you better tell us what's going on.
Speaker 3: We're gonna let you go too.
Speaker 5: If those allegations come out, that could rise to another offense. So I think the big ones is you're going to see basically an employment as well as defamation, and then, you know, whatever this report comes out, it'll be interesting to see if if she still has some friends in the department that come forward and sort of whistleblow on the whistle blowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the other interesting element of this is if this helps or hurts, or maybe it doesn't matter. I don't know. So the city spent five months and had a contract with Frost Brown Tide to investigate. They extended a second time, extended it a third time to the end of this month, and we think this is the last one. They could extend it again. Who knows. Does the length of that process help or hurt Terry Cig's case, I.
Speaker 5: Think it helps because the argument is, you spent five months reviewing my driving pattern and all you can do is find one time when I touched the line are you can think, or one time that I went five miles over? I think I think that's the argument is you're gonna you're taking so long and at the end of the day, you were only able to find.
Speaker 3: These the couple of things.
Speaker 5: Now, the other argument, again trying to argue both sides, is it might be so wrought with corruption that it just took longer because one thing led to another and another. And so it also depends on what comes out. If two violations come out and it took five months to find that, it's going to be a huge argument for her, if there's fifty thousand violations that happened over a course of her employment, then all of a sudden, it's like, well, of course it's taken so long. They've had to investigate every single complaint, every single rumor and everything like that. And so I think, you know, what happens at the end of this report will tell us whether that's je files.
Speaker 2: I mean, if anything rise to criminal conduct and the like that, it's like, well, who's overseeing the police department. It's that's a city manager's office. You know, the more they say, hey, she did all this stuff, doesn't that also indict the city manager?
Speaker 5: They can absolutely you know. You know one of the biggest mistakes that police officers make is they run a license plate for a friend, and that's a big no no, that's a crime, and that gets a lot of people into trouble. Well, if that's happening all over Cincinnati, then then upper manage had the problem because they're not doing anything to check that, right, and I think that would then fall yes on the city manager. So there's another double edged sword here, which is how how bad is the alleged corruption they're looking at? Because it was really bad then it goes all the way to the top. Yeah, just past the you know, just.
Speaker 2: How well, then it becomes political again. And the other thing too is the communications. Internal communications are part of Discovery praised her leadership at the same time they're building a public case against her that seems pretty damaging.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I tell that to people all the time. You got a perfect review and then three days later they let you go because you're a bad employee.
Speaker 3: That doesn't fly.
Speaker 5: And so that's another thing that she's going to argue is I've got great reviews up until two weeks before the election, when all of a sudden, crime is on the on the ballot, and then I get let go of the scapegoat. That's gonna be another strong point that she has to say that this is political, this is a witch hunt. I am basically the scapegoat that we need to you know, sure, we need time again.
Speaker 3: Sorry. I think I think all that goes into play. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: M came out and said, well she should get her job back. That with the chances of that are probably what one percent, right, the likelihood is a huge settlement.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that's you know, if that could be another reason for the extension too is look, we haven't really found anything that's going to justify a huge win in court, So that's let's figure out a win win you you know, voluntarily move on and retire and we pay you out and then we can kind of get out of this with you know, both sides winning. That would be the reason for the extension too.
Speaker 2: You never know, she's going to drop in a couple of weeks. We'll know then. Jason Phillibum, of course, fantastic defense attorney, employment law expert, as well his two cents on what went down yesterday with the Terry Fiji Stephen m press conference. It was a shot across about of the city calling this thing a hatchet job. When the report comes out, we'll find out what that means. Jason, all the best, Bomber, Take care.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it, thank you.
Speaker 2: News is coming up in just seconds here on the big one hell of a traffic day today. It seems like everything was shut down because of the inclement Weatherful details coming up in news and more one return, including a little bit more on this and how Terry Fiji plays into Saint Patrick's day today. What I'll pull those things again because it's about consistency. There's some inconsistencies here. We'll get into that after news on the Big One. Sorry, that was an interesting press conference yesterday with Stephen m in the case of Terry Thiji, the interesting case of the former and I say former although she hasn't been fired police chief Terry Thiji and Jason Phillibaum are legal expert on the Scott Sloan Show said well, you know you also have sex and or age discrimination in there too, because those are protected classes. And man, there's a lot of protected classes these days, right, and that is just you know, the legal definition should be a group of people legally protected from employment, housing, public accommodation discrimination based on things like race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability. Basically, can't mistreat someone who can't help where or how or to whom they were born, right, And that's a pretty good legal standard. I think it's hard to argue that going to I can't change who I was born to what I was born, and what I look like. But I want to bring this back. I said, there's a talie in here, with today being Saint Patrick's day in this Terry Thiji thing, and I if you listen to the show for any like the time. You know, I try to be consistent.
Speaker 4: I like to.
Speaker 2: Not look at it from a political bias or whatever the bias might be. And it's hard to do because we're all biased in some way, shape or form. But I just look I want the rules to apply to everyone equally. And it's a tough time for someone like that to be alive these days. If you're like that, you feel me. And so I bring this up on Saint Patti's Day and you want to talk about a great example of our cultural sensitivities and also protected groups. Let me ask you something, where else can you have a leprechaun logo? You know, a height challenge, verdict challenged, firecrotch, red bearded mascot, and the logo goes on everything and no one is screaming about racism, ethnicity or ready for it, cultural misappropriation. Where are the cultural misappropriation crowd? Where are they? Where are they? On Saint Patrick's Day? A lot of other ethnic holidays are things you point out are like, no, we can't, you can't do that. You know, when I someone who is not I don't know hispanic opens up a taco stand or tries to. There's some things long ago where where you know, you have fusion cuisine, which is the combination of two different cuisines into something else. And we've always done that in America. And people are losing their minds because white people are cooking Hispanic food. It's cultural misappropriation. Shut the hell up. They're just trying to make money, is what they're doing. They're ready to come up with something new, and I think it's a great You know, if we have this established cultural framework, in this doxing and cancel culture in which we currently live that says its stereotypical ethnic caricatures cause harm, then me being mister consistency, is that standard has to fly across the board. We're not gonna talk about principles or politics. So if you look at a leprechaun, by every objective matter measure, it's it's an ethnic caricature. You've got a short, red haired, green clad irishman obsessed with gold and drinking. I mean, if you ran that through the DEI computer, it would explode. Okay, drink. He's a drunk and he's obsessed with gold, and he's got red hair and he's short. The Chillele. Yeah, that's well, that's the third We put your lips on the third rail there, Clark. But again we have this selective enforcement of cultural sensitivity rules. It exposes the whole thing is a fraud. It's a power play. It's not a moral standard. The whole thing's a fraud. And this fits into DEI as well. It reduces a nationale to a mythological figure which I lean into. I think that part Irish. Why I identify more as Italian, but I got that Irish sloan. That's pretty Irish name, and reinforces the drinking stereotype that Irish all drunks, and the whole wow, they don't mind defense that doesn't hold. We reject that argument for every other group. Why this one and the whole image itself was kind of born from mockery, the vaudeville age, you know, the eye bumbling, superstitious drunk was a stock comedy character back in the eighteen hundreds and nineteen hundreds, and the leprechaonus direct descend into that that type of ridicule and publish, well, well you know it's it's a different thing. Well, why because you're white Europeans, I mean, if you are a cultural warrior and you object to cultural misappropriation and dangerous stereoisis, where are those people today? They're at the bar drinking green beer, wearing a silly hat. That's what they're doing. I mean, it's such a This to me just is just another or this is another brick in the wall and trying to segregate DEI because at the heart of DEI and you know, certainly I think there's a period of time certainly needed that. I think it's a good test today to find ef can stand on its own and you know, you win on merit, not who you are or where you came from, as it should be, and that's what the Constitution says. And I think you got to give that time to go okay, well did it work or not? And time to stand on your own. So you got to pull that carpet out. But in this just exemplifies that opinion, like this is a great defense of it is. No one is complaining, even Irish people. I'm complaining about stereotyping Irish people today. You know, you got a bar serving green beer and lucky charms and doing shots today. Imagine a bar doing tequila shots with speedy gonzalesnces on sinco demand. But here's the thing, is like the stereotype is that you see you see Hispanics, particularly the Mexican culture leaning the Mexican right. You go into a Mexican restaurant and it's your birthday, you're doing shots and you've got a big some on. But then people, if you post it on social people, actually there's clapping back at you for misappropriating that culture, even though the people who are foisting on you and encouraging to do it are the same people who should be offended according to that theory. That's why this who the whole ethnic stereotype and race, I mean, it's just it's all based to charade, is what it is. Like if the protected class, the darlings of the day, are protected, then that's all that matters. Well, then applied equally across and you see how ridiculous this whole fight is. You know, you don't get to ban a sombrero and keep a leprechaun man pick a lane. Pick a lane. And the inconsistency isn't a bug. It's proof that the rules are political leverage and not about human dignity. All these things I mean, all right, you can be offended. We got Chief Wahoo, Okay, got rid of that. And I'm not saying it was good or bad. I'm just pointing out the inconsistency here, right, Chief Wahoo. Yeah, it's kind of cringey. Okay, we got you know, Uncle Ben on the on the rice box, subservient black man in a bow top got where that Missus Butterworth was under review. Remember that when the Missus Butterworth Syrup controversy, I thought it was just some I just thought it was Missus doubtfire. But apparently I guess someone determined this to be a mammy characature. I'm not quite sure. Landa Lakes Butter went through it. The Native American maiden on the box that went away. Remember it was Star Wars Jar jar Binks that controversy you had, you have a Pooh on the Simpsons, and so, I mean, the point is it's not defending the stereotypes, saying look, if you're just going to be what you say you are, then you have to be consistent. So if you're offended about butter and syrup and rice and a Pooh and jar jar Binks, then I would say why where's the outrage over Saint Patrick's Day? And you can't find it because well, largely it's like that's they're Europeans, so it's but that undermines your whole argument, you know, the green you got great and the culture mistrepublisher people wearing green hair and green clothes and the Chileley and kiss me I'm Irish and chili and beer. It's a stereotype, but it's also it's it's cultural misappropriation. Where are the cultural misappropriation warriors on Saint Patrick's Day? To show you how what it's based on is a bunch of nonsense and a shakedown. There you go, I don't see people protesting at Maldy Malone's or anything like that on and rightly, so you should go in and drink and eat boiled food and pretend to like Irish dancing for a day. They given the people who are like Irish don't really like Irish dancing. It's like, what is this? And so either all that they all go or they all stay. But you know, we admit, when the framework gets selectively enforced based on which groups have agency or have current political capital, we got to start pretending it's it's about human dignancy, human decency and dignity and protecting a culture. It's just it's silly, and it's like, well, I'm trying to think if there's a we Got Rid of Columbus Day, because that was offensive on I'm trying to think if there's another holiday and say go to MI. I mean, I remember it was here locally a number of years ago where someone was under fire. The place was under fire because they had a I think it was kind of a thick I can picture the logo in my head. I escaped me and forget what it was, but it was like a guy taking a siesta under a net, leaning up against a cactus, which is not a good place to rest your head. But nonetheless it's just a logo. No one's really being pricked by the cactus. And maybe it's a non prickly cactus. I don't know, but it's a fat guy in a sarape and he's got the bandalier around, he's got the sombrero and the big mustache and he's having a siesta. And that was the logo. And of course you can't have that people, even though I think the people who ran in the place were I think they were Mexicans, so I mean, if you wouldn't. And a funny thing is I remember traveling down to Cancun and back in the day when they had phone books, and they leave the phone book and I'm like, well, it's in the Mexican phone book and the logos for the Mexican restaurants. There were all these stereotypes that here at America were offended about. These are actual Mexicans do well, that's different because they can do that because it's their culture. I see. But man, I'll tell you what you want to split hairs. Saint Patti's Day, Saint Patty's Day? What about that? I don't know any irishman who's offended by a leprechaun. Quite honestly, I don't, nor should you be. But that's the point of this. Hey, Chris, you're on the Scott Slan Show. Thanks for checking on.
Speaker 6: What's up me morning, sir. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. I'm doing well.
Speaker 6: I have a comment on what what's talking about? Okay, you know that the only real life fixture that actually survived is an old white guy's a quicker roats guy. If you want men as Syria out when you talk about missus Butterworth un over to my style, or even the butter with the Indian guy and laying the lake. Yeah, the only real life character is an old white guy quick roaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who is a.
Speaker 4: See it?
Speaker 2: For a long time I thought that was Barbara Bush back when she was So it's a guy, okay.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Quaker roads things interesting because I think there, I don't know, one's not proud of what?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What am I thinking of? Trying to think of the quite a while. He's a Quaker. Yeah, it's Quaker. I'd be Quaker oad. He's a Quaker. So I'm not quite sure if that's exploitative or not. I have no idea. He's got the ponytail, he's got the the wacky hat on with a buckle.
Speaker 6: But it's the only real life fixture, I guess. I mean, it's not a fixture. You know, he's not a guy.
Speaker 2: But you feel me right. I'm not saying we should we should cancel Saint Patrick's Day. No, what I'm going is that if you allow this, then why is everything else off the table? If you're trying to be consistent about enforcing the racial prejudices of America and it's all got to be absolutely stamped. And who who's pissed off about Saint Patty's Day? Nobody correct bingo, bing that's a bingo. That's a big no, it's just bingo. It's just sloany here on seven hundred w W had five one three cent four and I seven thousand, College Tilla and a joby on the Scott Flung Show. Thanks for checking in and appreciate what's up? Hey, Thank you, Jake.
Speaker 4: You So there's definitely are not equality in these characters for DEI, but I found it interesting over to Cracker Barrel where they brought back Herschel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the because of the I mean, it's like an old coke thing. It's a boat. But I remember when that broke, I went like, well, because it's a terrible logo is why they should change it. It doesn't translate to to black and white. It's hard to see what it is. And I don't know if it was much canceling Uncle Herschel. I didn't know there was a name until the story broke, But I neither it was an attack on old people at all. But again it isn't it part of this backlash to to sensitivities of age and protected classes. Absolutely, that's what it is. Because the people on the right rush to defend this old carr and you only get room because he's old, and so that fell under the age discrimination category. And now we've got the right canceling stuff. You know, just enough already. If the logos change the logo, that's fine. The problem is probably the food, the food and who owns it and what the you know, what the demo is, I guess more than the logo ware.
Speaker 4: We could add that where we would say something like wild Mound Walker and then say something along the lines of leprechauns forever THEI never.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, so we're not offended by leprechauns. But everything else, the cultural misappropriation wars are silent. And next time I have a cultural misappropriation issue or you're if you're ever faced with that le's cultural misappropriation. You can't you know, you can't make Chinese food if you're white, Say well, I don't know. I saw plenty of people, you know, people of color, brown people, white people, Asian folks all celebrating Saint Patrick's Day, and you know, no one's scriminal culture. Is that culture? Well, no, that's different because these are the white European overlords. I get it. Racism and ethnicity is fine as long as you're not the one on the receiving end.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 2: So at least, if anything, you're consistent on this whole thing, absolutely consistent. Coming up at ten oh seven this morning, we are in March madness. You got your brackets filled out yet. I haven't done that yet. I promised Austin Elmore yesterday I would do that. I'm gonna I'm gonna particip Actually, you know, what I'm gonna do kind of is a test. I'm I'm gonna see if how I can get my dog to fill the bracket. I want to see if the dog can what the accuracy rate is, because you know, you've got people like Austin, You've got Tony Pike, You've got Lance McAllister, you got Moegger, you got all these guys on sports guys, and I'll fill out the brackets and als. I just want to see, like you know, your whole reason for being is based on being a sports actor. I just want to see if the dog can randomly pick winners and losers better than the experts. It's a it's a good I may do that. I may have bandit filled that thing out. I used to do that with the forecast with my old dog who has since been put down a long time ago, Lego, the World's Dumbest dog TM, who would predict the forecast, like when we had the snow today. I'd have different plates of food with one, you know, less than an inch, one to two inches, two to three inches, four inches loss a snowmageddon, and he would whatever food bowl he ate out of that would be the forecast. And it turned out he was as accurate as a lot of the climatarists that are on television. Wag caused a lot of problems back in the day between me and my friends in the TV media. Anyway, anyway, if we have March Madness here, we'll talk about responsible gaming coming up. At ten oh seven. Earlier in the show, if you missed it, I had on Jason Philibaum, former prosecutor and defense attorney and talking about the Terry Thigi situation, because this whole rant about de Ei and you know, Saint Patrick's day was rooted in that going on. He said, you know, she may have a sex and age discrimination case because it's a protected class and said, well, it's an interesting time to talk about that. You mentioned that because of Saint Patrick's day, but talking about yesterday's press conference with her attorney, Stephen m who's a wonderful employment lawyer and has already fired the first salvo across the bow regarding her termination some five months ago. And it was a great discussion. If you missed it, it's going to be on the podcast fall on the show via the iHeartRadio. Of course, if you miss it too, you can always take us wherever you are go from the car to you're off to just have your earbuds in you can take the show. It's completely portable that way. But it's interesting watching some of the highlights of the press conference yesterday where Steve m called this a hatchet job. And I think the strategy itself is really interesting too. So why would you have a press conference before the report drops and the report presumably is going to drop the first week of next month, because this is the third time they've extended the contract with Frost Brown Todd, Who's going to spend and spend a lot of time and a lot of your money if you live in the city, investigating why they fired her five months ago, which is not a good look. So they held the press conference yesterday. And what he's doing, he's poisoning the well is what it's called. So whatever comes up out of that report, and I think they got a tip that there's some bad stuff in there, he readily public called it a hatchet job. So then he said, well, we expect this from the It doesn't take five months to find out why you fired someone in October, and here it is March and April, and now you're just getting around. Some of the report hits our frame of mind as the public mean you be in the public. That's already said. Of course it's as bad thing. Frost Brown Todd was not paid to find good things about Terry Thig. They're paid to find bad things about Terry Thig. Of course it's gonna come out. For example, you know, company may go hire a consultant. You know the consult everything can be running great, hurry consultant. They're going to find stuff to change because it justifies why we're paying them this money in the first place. And Steve him yesterday also made the point of comparison that violent crime had increased since theg went on leave, Yet no one's moving to take interim chief. Heini off the jiant And you know there's a thing. I mean, he's doing a great job, am Henny's ston doing a great job from all intents and purposes. And so you could say the same about Terry Thig And they basically put the city on notice saying there's gonna be a lawsuit get ready for it in the city is going to have to pay, meaning the taxpayers as well. So he knows the report is not going to look good. The investigation has been extended twice and they're building a case against her. But he can't stop the report. What you can control, though, if you're the attorney. Here is what people believe about the report before they read a single word of it. It's it's pretty smart. That's a good legal strategy right there. I'm not a lawyer, but I can see what he's doing right here, and it'll turn into it. I told you so a moment. It'll you know, if you see this as a canard and a whole political cover for AFTABS administration, then you're totally buying in this and that's the goal.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: We got to get a news update in Scott's loan showed returns afterwards here on the home of the Reds seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Well, Cincinnati does not have a dog in the hunt for the first on a long time. We kind of adopted Miami. But and then of course there's other regional teams to root for. But it's not going to stop you from putting some money down in March mad and it's of course tipping off just a few days away. And if you're planning to have some skin in the game, there things you need to know for you bet specifically online in that version of namely, what to do if the stops feeling like fun and you don't want to get in over your head because it's a real deal this time of year. And our partners at DraftKings, it's Lauria Klane's on the show this morning to talk about responsible gaming on the show. Welcome Laurie.
Speaker 4: How are you? I'm great? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So walk us through these specific tools that online pores like yourself and DraftKings makes available to every customer. There are limits to what you can do and their self exclusion and timeouts, and what can a player actually do if they want to put guardrails up for their own behavior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm happy to thanks for the opportunity. We have a complete responsible gaming center that's got all kinds of resources. I mean, first and foremost, we have resources there that explain the very basics of gambling for people who are, you know, their first time to the app, So bank roll you know, how to have units of bet and then and then we have limits on deposits. We have limits on wagers, time spent on the app. App, you can limit your losses. You can you know, set all kinds of different limits. You can set check in reminders, and as you mentioned, our customers can also of course choose to cool off for you know, a set period of time, or even self exclude if they're not comfortable with their play and you know how they're feeling about the app.
Speaker 2: But by and large, we.
Speaker 4: Really offer everything there. We have something called Gambaalize. It's a card game to sort of assess your risk level. So it's it's really a whole center meant to offer you know, resources and as you said, limits and ways to make sure that you're staining control and having fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a predictive thing that tells you, hey, you might be someone who's inclined to bet more than they have and you don't want to fall down that that whole and that's a great thing using technology be able to leverage that because i mean put in perspective her March Madness is huge. It is the betting event of the year. And for you guys at DraftKings, in terms of new customer activity, I'm sure you see a spike in the number of new participants and users and that interest changes. Does that change how you approach responsible gaming?
Speaker 4: So we for every customer who opens a new account, we immediately before the account is even finalized and opened, we're introducing our responsible Gaming Center and making sure that people know it's there and asking them if they'd like to go set limits. And not everybody does that. So we follow up with emails regularly to our customers reminding them about the various tools and resources that we have available. And then when somebody's actually on the app, let's say they've spent a whole lot of time, you know, hours on the app, will send them reminders and really try to engage to you know, give them a moment to reflect.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, are of those tools easy to find? You have to dig for them. How do you you know, other than come out of the show and talking about this, Laurie, how do they people know that they actually exist and where to get them? They're pretty easy to locate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question, Scott. So on every screen of our app or if you're if somebody's on the web, on the right hand corner at the top, there's a little RG shield and it just takes one button to get to the Responsible Gaming Center. And then I'd say even for people who are not currently a DraftKings customer, let's say they are, you know, thinking about becoming a customer, they can go to RG dot DraftKings dot com and see everything that's available in the Responsible Gaming Center. So, you know, I tell everyone I know, whether they place a bet or not, they probably know somebody who does. And you know, sometimes people don't want to listen to me. They want to listen to their friends or relatives. So I encourage everybody to take a look at that it's RG dot DraftKings dot com and they can see the suite of tools and resources that we have available.
Speaker 2: Oh the cold thing is it predictive? You said card game on there, Lorie, that you can if you're like, ah, this is the first time I've bet, And there's a lot of people logging on and getting an account for the first time listening with march Madness here. It's a huge betting opportunity for folks. And yeah, maybe you fill out a bracket at work, that's a little different. A couple, you know, ten bucks here or there isn't going to force anyone into bankruptcy. But you know, we've seen cases where people do abuse it, and it's a great way to predict if you might be of you know, have that vulnerability. And I think it's a really responsible thing you do there. And I know you guys do this, but but other gaming platforms do as well too. You also work with state gaming regulators too. Is there a baseline of responsible gaming tools that every legal operator like yourselves at DraftKings are required to provide? And do you do you just meet that or you go above it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's another great sky. You're a man of great questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they paid me very little to do.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I'm going to put you in for I make all my.
Speaker 2: Money in draftings.
Speaker 4: There you go, there you get, and I hope you're using the tools. So now I forgot the question. Tell me the question.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the question again. It's Lori Kalin. She's with DraftKings. We're talking with March madness here being that time of year where a lot of people are going to get on and bet for the first time, and maybe you are a loved one. The element of state gaming regulation, do you meet or exceed what the state of Ohio, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or the state of Indiana, or anyone listening for that matter, that their state set. I'm sure there's a minimum bar there. Do you guys go above that?
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, thanks for the repeat.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Most states, I'd say the vast majority of them, require that we have the opportunity for somebody to self exclude, which is entirely block themselves from our app And then i'd say the standard RG or responsible gaming limits that were required to have are on deposits and also on time. But we go far above and beyond that. I mean, we have, as you mentioned, we have the gammaized game. We have information on smart bedding. We have something called my stat Sheet we're super proud of. It's about a two year old tool that we built, and that's a personalized dashboard where everybody who's on draftings can see all of their activity over the last thirty days, over the last years, since the lifetime of their accounts. I had no idea that we go above and beyond. Yes, this is my full time job, and we have a whole team of people that work on this all day, every day, and we're trying to be the best, and you know, give all of our customers various options.
Speaker 2: You talked to other radio shows, TV, you do all those things, and you're on presumably with my colleagues here in Cincinnati and iHeart stations. If I'm asking the last two questions, as you said, are excellent questions. What level of stupid are my colleagues? What kind of dumb questions are I asking you?
Speaker 4: They're all great? I mean the people in Ohio.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, my colleagues are people in radio are largely dumb. Lord, you need to know this defect. We do your job. We are stupid, self loathing people. You know this right, People in the radio were.
Speaker 4: Not the brightest, no, but you're the best looking.
Speaker 2: So what happens when you flag a customer who's potentially at risk. Let's say I do this card game like I'll be fine, and they go in and all of a sudden, what do you have like behind the scenes? Are there triggers? Do you get like alerts saying, hey, Scott's loan's account here in Cincinnati, there may be something going on. How do you know that there they could be abusing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have. We have systems that are first of all, monitoring all written communications. So if somebody's making a statement that would indicate that they may be in distress, we are flagging those accounts and interacting and engaging with those customers. But then we also have systems in the background that are looking at the time somebody spends on the app or even you know, frequency of deposits. So they're very smart systems, and we send in app messages to those people and you know, those can escalate over time, and in many cases we will manually review accounts when we think there's potentially some issue going on there. But by and large, we really find that educating people and the people who are customers who are stay informed and are self aware are able to use our tools and really keep it fun. Because at the end of the day, if somebody's out of control, they're not having fun. And we are an entertainment company and you know, we want everybody to have fun. So everybody's got a different budget, but we've got something for everybody.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Graftkings, you're a for profit company, so there's tension there. Right, you have to make money, but at the same time you have to keep customers engaged with responsibility and telling them the slow down or stop, which is counterintuitive to the profit margin. How do you bounce it?
Speaker 4: Well, it's about sustaining a customer, right. We spend a lot of money and effort trying to bring customers. Do the DraftKings app. There's lots of competition out there, and we don't want to lose our customers. We want them to have fun. And like I said to me, it's a really simple formula. If somebody is out of control, then they're not going. Then they're going to self exclude, or they're going to have a bad experience and never come back. So this is, you know, the long game, and we want customers to spend what they can afford. We know that everybody has an entertainment budget, and if Scott Sloan has decided he wants to spend his entertainment money on, you know, having some skin in the game, we want you to spend it with us. And that's all there is to it. And you know we want lots of happy customers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ba, I get it.
Speaker 4: I don't really see attention there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I know people personally who have got in with the you know, in college, because we know younger people get into March Madness a lot, not exclusively, of course, it's a younger audience. I know people have gotten into trouble doing this before, so it's a responsible thing to do. And you know, we have college athletes now themselves prohibited for betting and some may How do you how do you approach age verification make sure it's not become a platform for underage gambling, because I know that this coincides with a bill out of California right now called the Protecting Our Kids from Gambling Addiction Act, which is a long name, but it prohibit online gaming operators like yourself at DraftKings in predictive market platforms from providing gambling services to minors or advertising. And you know again, I think a parent gives a kid a credit card, they got to monitor what the kids spending the money on because able to see it right there. I think there's a lot of parental accountability goes by the wayside when lawmakers get involved. But how do you balance that out with a younger audience and young people getting involved?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have zero tolerance. I have zero tolerance for anybody under age on this platform. I mean betting is an adult form of entertainment and there is no place for people that are underage. And so we start with, you know, very strict verification of you know, every person who opens an account, right so it's kyc. We use the same vendors that the financial institutions use. But as in your example, if you know, Scott's mother gives her seventeen year old to credit card and opens an account in her name, that's a violation of our terms. But our systems are very smart and so oftentimes I can't tell you exactly how it happens, but our systems will identify when there's somebody underage that we believe is playing on someone else's account, and in those cases, we block the account and we reach out and verify who it is that's actually placing those bests. I mean, in most jurisdictions that I'm aware of, it's a violation of not only our terms of service, it's a violation of the law. And you know, I grew up in Las Vegas, right, so I've been around gambling my entire life, and I start from a place where you know, there's an age for gambling, and there's you know, underage and we have no place for that on our app. And unfortunately, there are social media sites and there are illegal sites that are marketing to teenagers and it's really it's terrible. And if I had a bad i'd go out and shut them down myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And unfortunately, I mean, you could do age verification, I think for a lot of things Pornographer example, because it's largely free. But in order to engage in what we're talking about here, and that is march madness and gambling, and specifically on a platform like DraftKings Man, You've got to go through a lot of steps to pretend that I mean, you guys are looking for. What I'm saying is I don't know a ten, twelve, fourteen year old that can have it our own credit card if that's what we're concerned about without the parents' knowledge, and if the parents get my card and don't bother the check where they're spending their money, I don't know how that's on any operator like yourselves, on any platform or predictive markets. Another big one too that's coming out that do things besides sports. That's outside of your scope obviously Lorid Klanney at DraftKings, but I think it applies is that, like, you know, we can put all these measures in place, but it's a partnership. Mom and dad have to be actively involved in this as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree, And you know that's why I go on TV and I go on the radio and I say, I want everybody to go to RG dot DraftKings dot com, even if you're never planning to have a DraftKings account or place a wager on a game, because everybody I talk to knows somebody who does. And so the more we as a society are talking about this, it's you know, it's like taking an uber when you go out to dinner. You don't necessarily think you're going to have one too many to drink, but you take it anyway because you're responsible. Right, So if you know, my goal is to have everybody use the tools that we've built, will continue to innovate. We're going to make them better, smarter. I mean, they're great right now. We're like the top rated RG program in the country. But you know we're gonna we're not stopping. I have an entire team that works on this night and day, and we're gonna, you know, keep pounding the drum here.
Speaker 2: And uh, it sounds like it's part and part of the corporate the corporate DNA as opposed to just say we got to check a box here, which, hey, if you're a paarent, you're going, okay, that's that's that's really good. That's why I like DraftKings one of the many reasons why. But I'm looking at and I'm looking at this case out of California that says that you, guys and other provide predictive gambling companies are running the big tobacco playbook. They're targeting kids, hooking them young, and betting they'll become lifelong customers. Their reach. Research says more than a third of boys ages eleven to seventeen already gambling, and most of them didn't go looking for it, it found them. Well, that's social media, that's advertising, and that's the algorithm. But I want to know what eleven year old has access to a credit card because generally you can't secure a credit card at that age. So I think I put it. But you know it's again it's California, and then they're looking for reasons to go after big companies. I understand that, but I think it's kind of a baseless suit or a baseless cause myself. If you're doing all these things to try and weed that out, you can only do so much in order to do that, and sounds like you're doing way above that. She is a Lori Kalani at DraftKings. Thanks for come on the show this March Madness season and laying it out. If this is you and you're like, I didn't know this stuff was out there, and maybe you're gonna dip a tel Win or you're having a friend, family member, maybe something like that, I'll point them in that direction and there's some tools in there that can help to make sure that they're not betting over their head. Laurie all the best. Thanks for jumping on this morning, and I apologize for my colleagues.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, Scott, have a good day, have.
Speaker 2: A great day. Thank you. We got to get a news update in on seven hundred WW in just minutes. It was a nightmare this morning driving in, wasn't it. I got bogged down by the seventy one shut down. You may have got seventy five ornything else And hopefully this is it because it looks like it's going to warm up here, not maybe tomorrow again. We have some light snow tomorrow, but back up to forty five eventually, and then we look nice and warm starting on Thursday and moving back into what the temperature should feel like this time of year. News update happens next, and more to follow, including I beg I've been doing some good toilet thinking here lately about this straight of horror moves problem. I think I might have a solution for you, or maybe it's just more stupidity coming up next seven hundred WW. Scott Sloan shows seven hundred Happy, Happy, and hate. Try that again three two on Scott Flowing seven hundred WWW. Happy Saint Patrick's Day, even though it's a racist holiday. I got into that after nine thirty. I don't want to go back into that well. But keep seeing everybody on the news is wearing their green hats and the green tin, green green granite. Where are the cultural misappropriations idiots on Saint Patrick's Day? I ask you, the same people that complained about the cultural misappropriation of Sinco de Mayo, the same people who canceled Columbus Day, not offended at all by by little people in green suits. It's it's the funniest damn thing to show you just how insincere they are. At least, if anything, I am consistent. I try to be consistent, try to be consistent. So I did some really good research yesterday. I was on the toilet and just kind of got down a rabbit hole and I'm thinking, all right, we got these straight. And foremost here's the problem. We need cheap oil. Right for us to do what we do in America, we need cheap oil. We need all to be almost free, like bucket. Gal'd be great. COVID. That was the one good thing about COVID. No one was driving. I had to show to work if you had to work during COVID, And actually report to office like I did before I figured it out, working from home. It was like a car commercial was a car commercially. They got the road to myself. No one's on these streets. I'm in a major metropolitanaria and the only car in the road just happens, even to this brand new model we're trying to sell you and that people look happy and smug, and it's amazing. It's absolute unless you're, you know, going off road, and then you're climbing a mountain tone of I don't know, some sort of ingot like I don't know the middle of the sphere in Las Vegas or something. You're tone up a hill. But I digress, as I usually do. So we need cheap oil, and Iran has effectively closed the straight up our moves. So we got a thousand plus cargo ships and the ones that move are getting bombed the hell out. Now we're trying to get allies on our side to escort these things. You know, all you need is one drone to get through with a bomb, and it's over where do you Some tankers go up in flames, and of course this is what is driving up the cost of fuel. So Iran is attacking ships. They're laying mines in the Strait. And the Strait, by the way, and you probably have already heard, this carries a quarter of the world's liquid national gas. It's called LNG liquid natural gas. And at the narrowest point, and that would be the Strait, it's about twenty one nautical miles wide. At its narrowest it's pretty it's about thirty miles, so it's really really narrow. And this is the choke point then, where Iran can launch stuff at these ships and essentially close it. And so how do you work around that one mask It's like, okay, well that's the problem. Geology is the problem. How do we fix that? How do we fix it? Because reopening it is pretty hard. They've got small fast boats that are abusings for mine laying, and it's harder to counter than large naval forces. So the little boats are doing the mine dropping. And that transit lane is, you know, three four miles from the Iranian shore, and if you're a ship, a cargo ship or a tanker, you have what I'm told, less than two minutes to react to drone missile attacks. Not very big ship like that. It's awfully difficult to pivot. And you know, they use a remote controlled explosive boat to damage a tanker in Iraqi waters. And that's why we think, well, we may need a ground operation and secure the coast. And the last thing we want to do is put boots on the ground. The last thing we don't want to I shouldn't say the last thing. It's the thing we don't want to do at all, is put boots on the ground in Iran. Now, Trump called for an international naval task force, and there's reluctant to do that because you know, China is like, hey, no comment, nothing to see here, Japan doesn't have any plans, Germany is out, Australia is out, France is I think they don't want to escalate things. I think they already surrendered. And the UK may send some mine hunters, but we don't really want to send ships, they said, So we're like, hey, good luck with us, good luck with us. So the idea I had with was on the tone is what we did in Panama. So Panama, I have the Panama Canal, and that was what about fifty miles And we did that because largely because we wanted Rubber to come up from Panama so we can make card tires, Henry Ford. But it worked right, and we still have the Panama Canal today. I know we gave it back and Trump is thinking about we're sending that order that Carter did. But nonetheless we got this. What if we did a canal through that, Well, it's a peninsula. Just cut off the tip and that sounds very painful, I know, guys, but just cut off the tip a little bit there. And so it's so if you look at and I looked at Google or say, okay, how populated is it? There's some pockets that are because I mean, you know, Dubai's right there, and it's also the UA, but it's also a Mon, and a Mon really wants to be Switzerland there. Like we we're not the pick inside here. We're too small to them. As we don't want to mess anybody off. We're gonna just we're gonna sit here and make our oil money and be quiet. But if you went through those two countries, you could bypass that choke point entirely correct. And then what happens then if Iran really wants to continue doing what they do for years to come, it's gonna be awfully difficult because now they would be outside their territorial waters in order to do that, and be much more difficult for them to shut that down. Not saying it's impossible, but I'd be pretty close, depending on how deeply you cut in that peninsula. And now here's the issue though, as I looked at I look at Google earthwin are there some cities there, But there's a lot of dead space there you could cut through, and I'm not quite sure how. I'm pretty sure that property acquisition and eminent domain laws aren't what they are in the United States. In those countries, I'm pretty sure they could come and go, we're taking this here, if you really wanted to do this. But the problem, of course is geology. So the Panama Canals, I understand that was limestone in granite and compared to the Panama Canal that was volcanic soil fifty miles. As I said, that took ten years and killed thousands of people. Took a long time to do that. Now we're in the modern era, we have better technology, better knowledge, better science. So could you cut that down in a reasonable period maybe, depending how far you got to go. But the problem is it's a mountainous area, and so excavating that rock at scale is more expensive than soil. You're cutting through a mountain range, and it have to be wide enough and deep enough for supertankers and LNG vessels liquid natural gas to come through, and it have to be about twenty meters deep and pretty damn wide, and you have a lock system. And look at this way it took pan in the Panama Canal took nine billion dollars to expand it for mount it I said nine billion dollars for modern tankers. And this area that we're talking about through the Mussinden Peninsul and am on the rocky finger that's jutting out there that connects the Persian Golf to the Gulf of Aman and bypass the strait of our moose entirely. It would dwarf that cost for sure. However, they got oil money. That's a whole different level of money out there, right Like when they're Lamborghini runs out of gas, they don't go to the gas. They just get a new Lamborghini. They got that. They got stupid money. So I don't know money is an object in this case or technology for them, man. I mean Look how fast they're throwing buildings up in the UAE. It's it's impressive.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: The other solution, of course, to the gas crisis would be another pipeline. There's already one there through the UAE, the Abu Dhabi pipeline, and that bypasses the straight entirely and they do about one point five million barrels a day, which is not a lot significant, but let's face that you're moving a lot more through to the strait than you are pipeline. So maybe the way to do this that is expanding the pipeline infrastructure, and you could do multiple ones cheaper and faster than canal. Now, it doesn't solve the tanker problem. Look, the real problem here is the liquid natural gas. Because gases, you know, they take gas and they turn it into a liquid because it's easier transport, it's more it's more effective because if you're just to take tankers of gas, you wouldn't have much gas in the tanker. However, if you liquefy it and then reconstitute it back into a gas from a liquid after it it goes to port and gets processed and refined, then that's how you do it. So you can't pipe liquid tanker. The say you can't do it. But you got two countries here, And I mentioned though, Man is pre politically neutral, and I would imagine they'd be reluctant to host something like this because it could make them a target. And Iran would look at construction's active war. Probably I don't know how, but maybe an active war. But boy, if you did something like this, couldn't you squeeze out I ran entirely. Now, it's going to take a long time, and maybe we need to have some patience here. If it took eight years or ten or whatever it took, I don't know. And would there be the impetus in the Middle East for them to do this, But it's a consideration because the issue here's real estate. Know a little bit about real estate. The issue is real estate. The whole reason why where war we know the problem in the Ran is because they cut off the supply of oil. Oil goes off the charts. We all flip out, We could pitulate, and then we do this all over again every few years, and maybe a different country, different cause. But I mean, this has happened a handful of times in my lifetime where Iran has said, we're cutting off the straight of our moves and we're gonna squeeze you when it comes to oil prices, which is why we need things like and Trump's right on this. We need energy in dependence. Maybe not fully, but we're still producing a lot more than we have and re establishing pipelines like the Keystone XL pipeline, getting that back online. But again to show you just how dependent we are in for and oil, it's still not enough. It's still not enough, and we're getting oiled by the way from Venezuela. Still not enough. And it all goes in the world supply. We're all dependent on one another, and it all takes us Iran to say we're shutting this thing down. And even though the other nations, most of the other nations in the Middle East are with US as opposed to them, it still doesn't mean anything. So the solution here is to figure out a way to bypass the straight of our moves. Can you do that with a canal? It's a big ask, it's a lot of work. There's mountains to move. Can we move mountains? I would think that the Middle East of those countries, uh and maybe opek I don't know where they stand in the second they've got enough money to be able to go. Well, actually we have we have mountain moving cash. They're flush with. Not poor area out there. You probably could do this. Could you add more pipeline, Well you need more military protection. There is that something that they work with the United States to make sure that those assets are protected. Because you've just created another choke pointed it. But we've kind of moved the choke. The chow points south. If you look at it, you know there's this little peninsula juts out. The strait of our moves is very narrow. If we kind of cut that tip off, guys, if we circumcise that peninsula, then maybe there's an opportunity here. But I don't know you do that with more pipelines and infrastructure. But if you do the pipeline, probably only is that now you're really exposed because that is probably pretty easy to sabotage. How do you get someone in the country with some C four and blow up part of a pipeline or a hole in at least or cause some sort of disruption. I imagine that'd be pretty easy to do. That'd have to be a very heavily guarded line in the first place, by and it's going to cost a lot more in military in defense than would be just to a canal, you know, like I said, you know Panama Canal costs that would have been nineteen fourteen, I think be about seventeen billion today, and then we expanded it for another five billion. This is I mean, you're in the half a trillion dollar range here, right, And it could take twenty thirty forty years maybe I don't know, ten years, I don't know. So theoretically possible, I guess practically maybe not, but it seems to be the solutions. We got to find a way to get to take the straight of our moves out of the equation. That to me is the difficult task. But some quality toilet time was saying said they thinking this whole issue, and maybe you thought of the same thing, because I certainly don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, But they said, yeah, well we mess on the STRAIGHTFORRM. Is there a better way to move that oil out of that region? Canals and pipelines? We ought to be at least be looking at a kicking the tires on it. Otherwise our grandkids will be doing the same thing in a few years, and so it goes quick time out back with more. Scott's Loan Show continues on seven hundred Wold four minutes away from a news update here on seven hundred w scott Sloan Show, and then at eleven oh seven, she's Kentucky Representative Beverly Chester Burton, who is sponsoring legislation that we should pay attention to here in Ohio as well. Kentucky. We just had the street takeover this past weekend. Dozens of people jammed up in this thing, and it's going to get worse, not better, with the winter, the winter months behind us and the warm weather come up right. Her proposal there is because it really hit Louisville pretty hard where she's from, and she wants to after the second event. So first defense is pretty strict. We take your license and let's face it, license revocation and suspended people dus all the time. Like you look at a court docket. A lot of them are driving well suspended, driving insurance, but driving well suspended. People don't pay attention, don't care. Used to be like, well I don't have a license, I can't drive. Now people just don't care, so that I don't know if that's a deterrent or not. I don't think it is. But taking your car and crushing it, that is a deterrent. Now, my civil libertarian radar went up on that one, going, well, I've got issues in the past and the present with confiscation because we know it is abused, namely in drugs. There'd be people traveling with cash or driving their car with cash, and the authorities will seize it, going well, you've got ten thousand dollars here, what's it for. It's cash, I'm allowed to have. I come a lot to have as long as my money. I'm allowed to have a million dollars. The problem is that they will say, well, that's drug proceeds, even without proving it, and take the cash and other things as well. So I have a lot of problem with asset forfeiture because it's been abused like anything by the government. You know, you give me an opportunity, they're going to somebody. We're gonna abuse it because the money goes to police agencies and general funds, and that's a way for them to take more of our money that's not in the tax form. But this is an interesting one. You know, if the threat of having your car, you know, fifty sixty seventy thousand dollars car, it's spend her having that thing seized and crushed. Oh boy, that gets your attention. Anyway, she is on. It's her idea. We'll kick that around. Coming up at eleven oh seven here on the Scotslane Show on seven hundred WLW one. One think this is a perfect crime, but it's not. This woman in Colorado is looking at twenty years in prison for fraud. And what she did was she was a a mortician and this is not good. The family needed money. They were scared and desperate. They needed cash. No excuse, but that was the excuse. She helped her ex husband hide two hundred decomposing bodies and essentially turned the ashes over to people who had the families had their loved ones cremated, and instead of the ashes, she filled the urns with concrete mix. Don't I don't know how you discover it, because you know, my mom was cremated and my dad's a creama and the look at the ashes are like it does kind of look like concrete mix, and most people are probably not. You may look at it going, wonder what this looks like? You look at it, going, Okay, same thing with dogs, right, Oh, looks it's just white powder and it's all ground down. Anyways, there's really nothing identifying in these things. Everything else is taken out that you know, if you have an artificial whatever, they take that out. But I don't know how you tell who's actually doing a test to see if it's if if it actually has ashes something I don't know it did. Somebody's earned get wet and it turned into concrete and he went, wait, hold on, understand, I'm just trying and figuring out how how you would discover that it's not something you would test to make sure, but somebody did, and she's in prison and deservedly so, deservedly so so. And wonder how many people now are checking the ashes of their loved one. Kind of morbid I know, kind of a morbid topic. Anyway, Hopefully we do not have more traffic problems tomorrow morning like we did today. We'll recare that with news. We got weather, we've got the forecast, we've got traffic, as I mentioned, and of course a full news update, and then we will talk about whether or not you should have your car taken from you if you're street racing or you are doing a shutdown like we had this weekend with a street takeover in Cincinnati. Should you surrender your car and have it crushed before your eyes if you're guilty of those offenses? Kentucky lawmaker joins us next to talk about that. She's Beverly Chester Burton on the Scotsland Show Home of the Red seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American Scott's Low back on seven hundred ww Welcome to it, to the last gas with winter at least we hope anyway, with a snowfalling back to let's rewind it back to the weekend here thirty nine arrested sixty five cars toed in Cincinnati in the street takeover, and of course yesterday the courtrooms were filled with defendants in this case, all pleading not guilty.
Speaker 2: And now the question is, okay, how do we prevent this from happening in the first place? There may be something happening in Kentucky that there may be an answer here. Anyway, Kentucky lawmaker says, if you want to play that game in street racing and doing donuts and shutting down intersections. Then you know, the second time, not the first time, but the second time we catch you, we're going to take your car and put it in a crusher. We're going to destroy your vehicle. She is Commonwealth Representative Beverly Chester Burton from Louisville, joining the show this morning, sponsor of Kentucky House built for twenty five. Good morning, Representative chester Burton, how are you?
Speaker 7: Good morning?
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, Yes, ma'am, I appreciate you taking time out for us up here in Ohio. So thirty nine people arrested, fifty five cars. Tody just wented this this past weekend. I'm sure you see street takeovers in Louisville as well and around the Commonwealth. Does that kind of mass event change a conversation about why Kentucky needs your proposal here House built four twenty five.
Speaker 7: Well, yesterday you know it's passed in the House and so we'll know it would now go to the Senate. But what happened, how this all start started, is because I had numerous requests and in twenty five about things that are happening in the communities regarding street racing, greg racing on the Expressway in communities, you know, all over I mean literally, and so after so many calls, you know, you have to, you know, pay attention and kind of investigate what's really going on.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the street takeovers should apply to this? Because I think generally speaking, reading through the bill, it has more to do with people who are drag racing. Should street takeovers be included in that?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Because I mean, to me, that is another form of drag racing. I mean when you have people that are literally blocking intersections and blocking communities so that they can.
Speaker 4: You know, have a race.
Speaker 7: I mean, whether street racing drag racing. To me, it's pretty much one of the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that this failed last year. You said it got through that time. What's the difference? How did you change it to get across the finish line?
Speaker 7: What the difference is? I had conversations across the owls and across you know, with the Senate and the House members to let them know that it almost made it through. Last year, we simply went out of time. And so this time I started the conversation crawly, you know, when we started siling bills, and I'm letting them know I'm going to thousand again. It's still an issue. People are still commenting and you know, emailing me or you know, calling me about you know it didn't pass last time, or do you think it.
Speaker 4: Might do these times.
Speaker 2: So let me lay this out for folks in Kentucky. Well, I mean for anyone driving in Kentucky, and how this supplies to the street takeovers here in Cincinnati. So for the first defense, it'd be a five hundred dollars fine not more than a thousand dollars mean five hundred, not less than five hundred, not more than a thousand, or being in prison for not more than six months thirty days, and any murder vehicle used by the person commission of violations impounded for ninety days. So you lose your driving privileges for ninety days for the first defense. Second offense, you're fined between one thousand and two thousand dollars or up to a year in jail. Your operator's license to drive is suspended, and any motor vehicle used by the person and commission of the violation forfeited to the state to be disposed of under Kentucky law. So we will seize your vehicle for a second time and either sell it or destroy it. I guess more is a civil libertarian, Beverly. I'm concerned that now we have another civil asset forfeiture situation. As you know, when with drug arrests, we take somebody's caring a lot of cash and a commission of a felony drug stop, they seize the cash. And now we have people who are just well, it's not illegal to have ten thousand dollars or twenty thousand dollars cash with you, and now under pretext, they just seize the money. And there's been many cases where authorities have seized property across the country and not returned it even though the person's been a generated This is just another way to increase the revenues. How do you balance that in.
Speaker 7: This Well, what I guess one of the things that see that may be positive for this particular deal, it's a victim compensation, you know, which means that damage is from the tragic accidents or not directly compensated by the people responsible for actents. But the quo seed of the question or of this particular deal will be going to the crime Victim Compensation board. Oh and I felt even though many people see it. That's maybe not a good thing. The positive that comes out of that is that it's going to go to the Crime Victims Compensation Board.
Speaker 2: So the city or the state in this case will not make money off of it. And we we'll examine that in a minute. But the Cincinnati takeover talking about here, you got to be from Dayton, Columbus, probably even northern Kentucky, maybe in Louisville. Who knows crossing state lines to do this? Does the Commonwealth have to coordinate with Indiana and also Ohio for enforcement on this? Should it be up to the state. Should there be a I don't know, across the line effort here to prevent this from happening.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean you brought up an interesting you know thoughts here, because we know that when things are shut down in one community, people will move through the next community. So when I watched this information that you sent me regarding the build I mean, not the deal, but the information you sent me regarding what happened to take over in Cincinnati, I noticed or heard that there were people that were not even from the area. So what is happening is people will move from one community to the next when as they need to when things are shut down, and so I think it will require in the future that they to work together. It just continues.
Speaker 2: She is a Commonwealth representative Beverly Chester Burton. She's sponsoring this bill it moved through yesterday that that's going to allow for a second either street racing or drag racing offense. This is in Kentucky now that they're going to seize your car and crush it for a second offense, and it's any of any of the first offense is pretty prohibitive here too. En result though, Louisville Metro Police for you are Beverly Little recrushed a street racing card September, made a big deal out of it, and the video went viral. It went all over the country, but you still had a major street takeover a few months later. So what's your response to critics who say the destruction of property doesn't work.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it doesn't work if people don't know that it's happening. But I think once people are aware that they're paying attention during the lookout with those.
Speaker 3: Type of things.
Speaker 7: And I want to say, you know, last year, I know when we were introducing it every seventh states that have proposed the same type of legislation to increase facility. Yeah, you know so, I mean at least three states have advocated for the portraiture as atility for traffic accidents, So I mean we're not the only one. I think it's good to have conversations, of course, not only the state, but as the nation, to look at who's doing what and why they're doing it and have worked in their community. And that's what you know we are intending to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here in Ohio in the way Sudent Cincinnati, these folks are all facing first degree misdemeanors, and that, of course is a first degree is the highest level of misdemeanor. And the maximum penalty I believe is up to one hundred and eighty y days in jail, one thousand dollars fine. Is that too light for the first defense? Because I look at Kentuguyoo, you got going on here, and that is like we're taking your license. It's pretty it's pretty heavy penalty for the first time out. Does that just go? Well, it's a slap on the rest day. I've I don't have anything, you know, I haven't been arrested before. Let's say, I guess most of these people probably haven't maybe a few tickets here there. I'm probably not going to get jail time, will get suspended. I'll play court. Costs a few thousand dollars and I'm out the door. But I'll probably do it again.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it'll be a wake up call.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 7: I think that when people know the things are being seriously looked at, that it will make people think, you know what, I don't know if I want to do this again, and I know that if I had not heard from many people, you know, complain about what the what you know, people videotaking things that are happening in the community. Yeah, And I'm just trying to respond to people who have taken a look at what they see in the community happening that they don't like, and they want the legislators to do something about it.
Speaker 2: Essentially, that is I know that sounds kind of quaint, Beverly, because essentially that's what we send folks like you uh to uh to the state House for for here in Ohio and also federally, but our federal government doesn't seem to be doing doing that right now, actually listening to the people and you know, doing doing the work of the people. We have government spartial government shutdown, but that's a federal issue, not a local one. What happens here, yeah, go ahead, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: But but what I will applaud local legislators that are trying to do is that when they you know, address the problem that before it becomes to a state level, that they are trying to work it out on a local level, right and then when it doesn't you know, if when it doesn't happen, then when they reach out to the state legislators and well enough times rather then they will say, okay, we try to let you all, you know, palm this particular so called entertainment down. But see, it's not a harmless entertainment, you know, because you know, it's many different areas, you know, passengers, tgestions, and neighborhoods. And I think that's the big picture, neighborhoods. So you know, when they turn public roads into like a race track, then that's when the consequences change.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact of the matters, they're doing this in urban areas because of the backdrop. It's for video, it's for it's for clicks. Right back in the day, people with drag race and that certainly was dangerous, but they kind of do it not the way places usually only people get heard of. The two participants were racing from A to B. This is a much different thing. You're taking over entire city or you know, a major intersection, essentially for social media. That's the reason you're doing this. I think it's a little bit of a bit of a different and I agree with you on that one. And the truth is somewhere between an m One and Cincinnati, which is I mean, it's probably gonna be a slap on the wrist for most of these folks. I wonder if they'll participate in it again. I guess the other thing I would say is what and I this is the problem I had with the speed cameras in that you know, someone could be borrowing my car. It could be a son, daughter, or someone else, family member or a neighbor. Whoever, they blow through a light, I get the ticket. That's not fair. I'm not the person driving the car. Same thing here. What happens to an innocent vehicle owner, a parent, a spouse whose car is used by someone in a street takeover without their knowledge? Is they are they protected?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: You know that's that's a good question. I mean, I think we're going to have to dive deeper into that because I think that there needs to be some type of communication that if someone is borrowing somebody else's vehicle, they need to be clear why they are borrowing it, you know, and if they don't, if they don't have knowledge of it, and they can validate and verify that. I think that's something that's a conversation to be had. I mean, the goal, the goal here is well, I think the goal here is as simple, you know, just trying to create a detergent so that people can understand that, you know, with lives or risks on our roads, that's going to be consequence. That's all I mean. I mean, the blast thing I want is to see anybody's you know, car taken away or anything like that. All I'm trying to do, or all we are trying to do from our legislature, is to answer the call of the community.
Speaker 2: Is there a distinction in the bill between participants and such spectators?
Speaker 7: I do nothing, so, I mean I don't have to deal before me. I'm sorry that do not have the build before me. But I don't think there is is there?
Speaker 2: Should there be a subtlety there. I mean, if you're there and going, wow, what is I'm stuck in traffic and I'm out of my car watching it because I can't move. Should I get jammed up like the people who are actually doing the donuts and shutting the intersection? And should there be even worse penalties if you can track down who organize these things, because that's all happening on social and online. It's a coordinated group that organize the event. These aren't spontaneous. I think there's got to be different distinctions there between organizers and people who are just watching it, watching it unfold.
Speaker 7: Well, I think they are organizers that they feel that they should not be part of this. But I will say this, if you're a spectator and you're witnessing that, to me, that means that you are in agreement, that you're okay with that, and if you especially if you know that it's in a legal situation we go on in street racing. But I don't think that people that are not aware and they happen, Like you just said, you're second tracking, you've witnessed what have you? I mean, that's you know those are probably you you know, incidents because you don't know that it's coming.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: It's one thing we know that it's coming and you show up, but it's another thing when it's not. I think this is all about the people who truly participate in it, Okay.
Speaker 2: And that's good. I mean with traffic cameras and video and everything else, because they're posting. I mean, I'm just thinking, like maybe my daughter, who is of that age, should she's sitting in traffic all of a sudden there's a street takeover, and she'd probably well, I can't move because everything's blocked, get out of her car and probably start videoing it, and then it looks like she's a particupan you know I'm saying. And there's a very fine line there. I think going after those who are actually doing the driving and the organization should be the focus of this thing. If it passes it, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Well I think if you're you know, you're caught up in such a situation. I mean, the good thing about cameras. I know everybody's on license, but the good things about cameras is that you see what's really happening.
Speaker 2: Right right, A lot of evidence, there's a lot more evidence, and also also I think too that yeah, it's it certainly makes I think police a job, the police easier, that it makes their job easier, I should say too. I just wonder if it changes behavior that much. And if you invoke this and you crush a few cars, it sends a pretty strong message that we're not going to tolerate this stuff. Take it somewhere else, or take it to a place that doesn't enact these tough laws. But I think there are a lot of constitutional challenges, no doubt that you are going to face, and it certainly's got to be tweaked at this point. But again, it's a Kentucky house built four twenty five way the street. Takeover here this weekend in Cincinnati. In Kentucky, there's a proposal because they have the same problem in Louisville and Lexington and elsewhere. And that is all right, we're gonna hit you pretty hard with the first defense, second offense. We're gonna take your car and crush it. And you know, somebody say, well, taking the driver's license enough. If you look at a court docket, is you know Beverly Chester burden, There's people drive all the time without a license. The fact that you don't have a license, doesn't stop a lot of people on the roads. I think there'll be a lot fewer drivers if everyone by it. So taking your license is not does not mean that you're gonna prevent you from driving a car in the first place. So what's the time whine forgetting this thing through?
Speaker 7: Well, it's passed in the House yesterday, so now it has moved on to the Senate, and I have had conversations with people in the Senate that are know, looks like it's going to be you know, tracked in such a way that it will pass. So Uh, I'm just waiting to see the grand finale, and I'm hoping that people will look at this as not really a bill that we're trying to destroy, you know, entertainment of people that like this type of I guess the event, but it's the way you go about it. I mean, if you are on the highway and if you shut down an expressway, uh, and you got cause backed up, that's I mean, that's an issue. I would say, either build a build a build your own track, or find a track or what have you that you think that you want to direct race, but not on city roads, not in communities not on interstate that's just not appropriate.
Speaker 2: She is a Kentucky Commonwealth representative, Beverly Chester Burton sponsoring House Bill four twenty five, which, on a second offense, them and Wealth would take your car and crush it if you participate in drag racing or street takeovers like we saw this past weekend in Cincinnati. And I'm sure Ohio lawmakers are looking at you, going maybe how to explore this one as we see more street takeovers in big cities like Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland and elsewhere for that matter. Beverly, thanks for coming on the show this morning.
Speaker 7: I appreciate you, absolutely, thank you for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: All right, well speak again. You have a great day. Thank you so much. Yeah. The civil libertarian to me is like I got some issues with this one. The issue, you know, some of the things I pointed out here, but you know, the idea of the law is, how else are you going to stop people who don't abide by fines and forfeiting their driver's license. They're going to do it anyway. And if that's what the case is, and we know that to be true because there's a lot of drivers out there, more than you think. Who are driving without an operator's license? Y're driving well suspended. The court dotts are full of these things. How else do you get someone else's attention? It's certainly an interesting question to be answered. Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred WLW time to.
Speaker 5: Talk about money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep there's off your stacks.
Speaker 2: This is all Worth Advice with Andy Schaeffer Andrew. A good morning, And is it a good morning today? I can never tell.
Speaker 3: It's always good.
Speaker 2: It's always a good morning.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Just don't look at your your four oh one K, your investments or anything. Get gas or anything like that, or beef for that man. You just see this one. We thought the beef prices are going to go down, and I think, what was it yesterday? Four thousand workers at a meatpacking plan in Colorado walked off the job. And it's at the slaughterhouse. The first big walk off we've had like this. And we may say beef prices go up even further. It's we can't catch a break here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the big one for quite a while.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: My understanding is that years ago when we had a significant corral, a lot of farmers and ranchers harvest their cattle earlier than usual because they wanted to make sure that, you know, their beetle was intact and that they were able to get that beef to the market. Well, that immediately created a shortage over the next couple of years. It takes you know, two to three years or so fors to become fully mature, be able to harvest, and so that is itself caused a decent amount of supply shortage. And then you know, secondarily, Mexico had an issue with a parasite with a lot of their cattle. And usually whatever we have a shortage, we go to Mexico to be whatever. You know, we're short as far as the cattle industry is concerned, and that significantly damaged kind of our backup plan. So, yeah, this is a little unnerving. You know, my wife and I like to have a stake from time to time. We get it from a local farmer who originately here in New Richmond, which is nice, but you know, from a national point of view, you know you're probably going to see prices continue to anchors.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and we love steak and Cincinnati. We have a ton of great steak prs and you're gonna sure or even a burger for that matter. One of the things we saw this week too is and you know the past, we talks like, hey, the market's kind of got the you know, Trump or any president by this time, but kind of baked into the market. We kind of know what he's gonna do. He's up and down, but you know, the markets are going to stay fairly consistent. We've seen a whip saw this week over ran like we've never seen before. And one of the stories actually in the Financial Times I was reading was that, you know, some of investors are taking everything he says literally and other ones are ignoring it, and it's causing the markets to go up and down. And we really don't see it all that much when it comes to this president and why is it happening now?
Speaker 5: Well, I think he's very polarizing. You know, I had clients that leans far right. I have clients far left, and you know a lot of times when you're at those edges of the spectrum, you pay attention to the news that supports whatever you're thinking is already and some people, you know, take Trump at his word, and some people understand that there's probably more niversity employees there. But ultimately what's causing the volatility is is the price of oil. You know, last week we saw the price of oil spike above one hundred. Yesterday it came back a little bit into the mid nineties, and that's why we saw the markets, you know, rise about one percent yesterday because everybody's looking at the price of oil in which goes on in Iran, and so, you know, it continues to develop. You know, we're starting to get a little bit more clear to you about what's going on over there. Donald Trump is now putting pressure on our NATO partners to help him with opening up the straight of Hord News. Furthermore, Iran has now allowed some shipping out of the street and that caused a little bit of the fears yesterday when we saw oil prices fall a little bit. But what Iran is doing at this point is they're only allowing shipping to some of their partners, including China, India, Pakistan, those types of places. But there is some easing there now we'll see how that all plays out. The other thing you have to understand is that this is the straight uphoard moves is pretty cool too. Iran's economy as well. You know, even though they're only four percent of a global output, they rely on China's income and they want to keep in good relations with a lot of their trading partners and they don't want them to fall into crisis. You know, China depends on Iranian oil, so obviously it's in Iran's best interest to send oil to China. And so all of those things combined allowed for us to see a little bit of a dropping oil prices yesterday.
Speaker 3: And that's why he's just on the market trust.
Speaker 2: And we don't know what the off ramp is going to be. A lot of things have been thrown at the board. We still don't know the off ramp for what's happening in Iran and when we tap out or they tap out. But does that then mean that gas prices are going to get worse before they get better.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, because they lag a little bit, and so you know, when you start to look at gas prices, expect them to continue to increase. You know, hopefully this you know, we find an off rent to this conflict over the next couple of weeks, because if we don't and we don't see a lot more oil fly going through the tradeable moves. You know, we can see oil prices continue to rise, and you know, when you go back and you look at the data from financial steam point, if oil prices start to increase at a rate of seventy five percent of higher versus its previous annual has, then you can see a conflict as far as inflation starting to increase. And that's certainly what we don't want. We don't want the Fed to have to reverse years and start to raise interest rates again because that can certainly push us into recession. So everybody's keeping an eye on oil prices and we're also keeping an eye on, you know, whether that we can find a solution to the conflict that we have in Iran right now.
Speaker 2: And the president was tapping into the strategic petroleum reserve that would drop prices down. That that really hasn't it. They're dropping for different reasons. But uh, you know it was critical when Biden did this, oral Obama did this or try you know, it seems like every president's going to well, go to the strategic and it doesn't do anything. It didn't do anything, you know, three years ago four years ago. It's not going to do anything here.
Speaker 4: Is it.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it will alleviate some investor fears, and maybe the markets react because of that. Now in the big scheme of things, four hundred million barrels a day from a global standpoint, you know, it helps a little bit, but not significantly. What I do find interesting is that we actually lifted some sensions on Russia. Yeah, yes, other countries to buy some of its oil and load them on vessels. And you know, I found that that was you know, an interesting strategy because you know, hopefully that will increase oil production throughout the rest of the world. But obviously that's against you know, Trump's initial political plan to put the class on Russia a little bit. So you know, you can kind of feel the administration puckering a little bit on this, particularly if they're going to give Russia a pats I'm producing again, So you know, I think it's coming to a critical moment here over the next couple of weeks, and again hopefully we can you know, find some type of resolution.
Speaker 2: Well we hope so. And I guess the other thing too, is that, at least fundamentally speaking, the economic data is pretty steady in that regard, despite where the markets are going up and down in the escalation of the Middle each you know, we had some economic numbers come out, economic data. Why don't we talk about that and maybe assuage somebody's fears freaking out right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that's really what you want to focus on. You know, the global conflicts generally can have an impact in markets on a short term perspective, but historically they really don't last very long, especially from an economic standpoint. So we did get some consumer inflation numbers last week. We saw hadline prices rise about point three percent, and that's the twelve month print remaining at two point four percent, and core inflation, which should excludes food and energy experience at point two percent monthly increase, so two point five percent year of year. And so generally why oil prices grab the headlines. You know, energy only comprises of about six percent of our total inflation, but when gas prices jump, it can feel like an immediate pay cut for consumers. And so, you know, the data has been pretty good, Labor market has been steady. You know, the the reading that we got two weeks ago wasn't very encouraging. We lost ninety two thousand jobs, and you know that was a lot less than what I'm sorry, a lot more than what's expected.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 5: You know, housing is starting to pick up a little bit. We saw home sales rise about one seven percent in January. So, you know, other than what's going on in Iran, I think you know, the takeaway here is that the economy is still plugging along.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I think there's debolatory that we're seeing right now, the anticipation if something can go terribly wrong in Iran. So you know, my advice is to continue to stay of course, maybe make some small judgment to your portfolio, don't overreact to what's going on to you politically right now.
Speaker 2: Andy Schaeffer from all Worth Financial on the show this morning every Tuesday morning, a little money update on seven hundred WLW. We're seeing a little bit maybe expansion in the future. I mean, I know, the markets have been up and down and up and down and up and down. It's making everyone seasick at this point. But as you said, the trajectory overall there of this thing is still moving in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is moving in the right direction. And you know, I think that's telling.
Speaker 5: You know, when the FED gets together this month, I don't expect that we're going to see an interestrate cut. I think they can remain patient, but it will be interesting to see what kind of guidance we get from the Fed, particularly about the potential of inflation and oil prices and the like. But I think the Fed is remaining patient. I still think that we're probably looking at a quarter percent rate cut this summer, most likely in June.
Speaker 3: So nothing has really changed much there.
Speaker 5: Now we will get a lot of the FED members given their predictions of what interest rates will look like over the next year, so that will be interesting as well, and that will give us a little bit of insight to how the FED is thinking about not only does conflict but the state of our economy in general very good.
Speaker 2: One of the things I saw too, is that that, you know, what really drove this huge growth we've seen on Wall Street addition to AI, but a lot of private credit flooding the market as well, and now investors are trying to pull money out of those funds. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think it's private credit is a little bit complicated to understand, but essentially you have these big hedge funds that offer private credit.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: What means private businesses that you know are issue issuing capital through loans well with private lending. You know, a lot of times these businesses obviously aren't as stable as the United States government and don't don't have the bathing and so what you get in returned is you get a little bit higher return as far as an interest rate is concerned. But what we are finding with the private credit, particularly when interest rates were low, is that a lot of these companies, for a lot of these hedge funds, were starting to take more risk in the private credit sector, so they were trying to chase yields a little bit. So if they wanted to get a seven or eight percent return, essentially, they would have to look at these businesses that are a little bit more risky as far as the health of their business is concerned. And what we've seen is that largely some of these companies have failed. And so this is starting to ignite a little bit of fear for those shareholders that are in these private hedge private hedge private funds, and they're starting to initiate withdrawals. While these private credit funds at this point are starting to limit withdrawals because they want to protect and stop the floodgates from completely opening, and they're fund collapsing overall. So it's it's started with Blue ou Out in California and now we're starting to see it with Black Rocks. There's some other providers like KKR that are starting to feel the pinch a little bit, you know. So I think a lot of times when you get into investments, you know, and we do offer private credit, I don't particularly have any clients that are in it, but when you get into invest investments that are, you know, touting specific returns that seem higher than normal, there's going to be some risk involved with that. So you want to make sure that you understand what types of investments you're getting in because they do all have risk.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're seeing a time now where you know, gas price are up. We led Andy Schaeffer with beef going up and the markets right, everyone's feeling absolutely you know, unless you've got crazy mad money, you're not feeling it at all. But let's face it, for most of us, we're feeling this, and the lower down you are on the economic scale, you feel the hell of a lot more. I did notice this for those of us kind of the middle and the upper part of that is the we have a record number of people who are taking money, pulling money from their far one k I think the genius though, is why they're doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, a lot of people are starting to implement these hardship withdrawals. We're starting to see increase there. You know, hardship withdrawals can be anything from metal expenses you're purchasing a primary residence, tuition, funeral, expensive disasters, this types of thing. They've also actually expanded some of the reasons that you can take a hardship withdrawal to include things like domestic abuse. So I think that's good on the surface, but a lot of people are starting to tap in that resource. The problem is is that you know, you can pay taxes if you're under fifty nine and a half on those withdrawals, and potentially a ten percent penalty as well. So you should use it as a last resort, and furthermore, a lot of times people might look into maybe potentially taking a loan out of a four one KSE. The problem with that is is not only do you have to pay it five typically at a time for a about five years. But any money that you're pulling out of the market, you're losing that opportunity to participate in the returns of the market. And so if you had a loan out over the last three years in the market of fifteen to fifteen percent each year, you know you're missing out on some significant returns. Now, it is a last resort. It is a provision that I do support, and it does come in handy for people that are in a pinch.
Speaker 3: But I do think that you should use it as a last resort.
Speaker 2: But there are a lot of people that do it and say, you know what, I don't know if I'm gonna be alive in five, ten, twenty years, whatever the hell with that. I'm going to live for today. I kind of get that line of thinking. But you are slitting your own throat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And unfortunately, most people's wealth is tied up into two things. It's tied up into their home and it's tied up into their four to one case. That is the standard of retirement planning.
Speaker 3: These things.
Speaker 5: You know back in two generations ago, is you work at one company for forty years, you get a pension and you get your social Security. There really wasn't a whole lot of investing. Well now most money is tied up into two entities that aren't exactly liquid until you retire or have the flexibility to move, and so this does provide a provision for that, you know, but hopefully people are starting to save a little bit more. That's why it's so important to have a decent amount of cash reserves that are at state in case you do come across emergencies where you don't even have to have this type of option. I know it's hard out there for most savers and most consumers here in the United States, but try to put a little bit away each month, trying to put twenty five dollars away, maybe fifty dollars away, and ultimately that you know, you take that out of your paycheck instead of it aside, and you know your lifestyle will adjust to that, and then if you do come across an emergency in your life, you'll have that available and you don't have to worry about tapping into these types of bums.
Speaker 2: It's a miracle of compounding, right. We look at the markets and but again they continue to grow and your your assetal grows well. Andy Schaeffer from all Worth Financial. Their show is Simply Money Ares at six o'clock week nights on fifty five care see and via the podcast as well. Drew, have a great week. We'll talk again next Tuesday, hopefully with better news. Always optimistic, optimistic. It's going to grow. It always grows, It does, it does. Willie is on the way in just a few minutes, right after news here and the national anthem, and of course we are getting ready for baseball. We're inside two weeks. Can you believe it?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Home of the Red seven hundred wwt Cincinat