Speaker 1: The following takes place between six pm and seven pm.
Speaker 2: You want answers. I think I'm entitled, Joe, answer the truth. You can't handle the truth.
Speaker 3: Truth, Truth.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this. Six h nine, seven hundred WLW. It's r Now Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance Pacallister. I am pleased and honored you are here. We have made it. The weekend is here. Kickback relaxed. I got you three full hours to I just like we like it. Plus the return of the off the Beating Path topic coming up in the eight o'clock hour tonight. I can't wait. Let's get to the headlines so we can go. Bengals and Packers from lambeau Field Sunday kickoff four twenty five. Could they be without Jamar Chase? Jamar Chase ill last night, officially listed as questionable for the game. Dalton Reisner will go at left guard if Dylan Fairchild can't go. Fairchild is listeday questionable, Shamar Stewart listed as doubtful. Bearcats take a four game winning streak into Saturday's game versus UCF. It's a noon kick from Knippert and right here on seven hundred wilw High School Football Action Tonight. The High School Football Tonight Show underway at this moment on ESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty That leads into Saint X at LaSalle. The award winning High School Football Tonight Show wraps up all the action around the area After the game. The Skyline Chaillacross Down Showdown matchup Indian Hill at Madeira Baseball Playoffs Win or Go Home game five Mariners hosting the Tigers tonight. George Kirby for Seattle, Trek Schouble for Detroit. First pitch, eighth eight baseball this afternoon in Arizona Red's rookie Rhet Lauder making his first Arizona Fall League start. Two innings, two hits, no runs, no walks, three strikeouts. He threw twenty three pitches twenty one for strikes that'll work. College Basketball Miami schedule is out and official. The Red and White opened at home versus Old Dominion in a MAC SBC Challenge game. They opened conference played December twentieth at ball State with the RedHawks home in the MAC opener set for January third against defending MAC champion Akron at SAD News loyal University sister Jean passing away at the age of one hundred and six. She was a Catholic nun campus minister and original chaplain of the Ramblers men's basketball team. She became a beloved international celebrity during the school's fairy tale run to the Final four of the NCAA Tournament back in twenty eighteen. Remember if you missed the show, if you missed the Roundtable show last night, if you missed individual interviews with Keegan Nickolson talking Bearcats or Dan Klaskins fantasy football, or Great Shoemaker talking high school football, or Trags on the Bengals front, all of those are available to be listened to on your time, whether that's on your morning commute, whether it's your afternoon lunch, whether you're a third shifter. It is there and waiting two spots seven hundred WLW dot com. I'm and through the iHeart Radio app podcast presented by Modern Office Methods. You're trusted RICO dealer. They help businesses bring printing in house with high speed, high volume production equipment Modern Office Methods. When every minute counts, you can count on mom, All right, my docket is lined up tonight and ready to roll six twenty in a matter of minutes. Jeff Hopsonbengals dot Com six thirty five. You're gonna hear from Joe Flacco today. I'll tell you what it was really impressive and you're gonna hear, and I'm gonna I'm gonna give you more of the the human less of the football like X's and o's talk of what he said today, but more of the human reality of life and playing to age forty and the impact of the trade on his family. Really good stuff coming up at six thirty five. Then, I never got a question for you about the Bengals at two and three with Joe Flacco quarterbacking are you in? Are you out? Or are you curious enough to find out? We'll do that at six thirty five seven o'clock hour. Want to drop in some UC football conversation. I have never been to a Lamboufield. I have yet to check that off my sports venue bucket list. If you have been to Lambeaufield, you would be gold to me long about seven twenty tonight with your perspective on what the experience was like. And in the eight o'clock hour, I do this every year. Last week was the anniversary. I was not here on Friday night, the exact anniversary, but you better believe if I'm doing this show, I'm doing a Joe Knucksall tribute show. It was two thousand and four. Last week his final sign off. You will hear his postgame sign off with Marty. Maybe find a cleanex but we will celebrate the life and times an impact of Joe Nuxall and tell stories and share moments. Coming up in the eight o'clock hour for the off the Beaten Path topic. Man, I think we are set Let's take a time out and we come back. Jeff Hoobson from Bengals dot Com as at all ready to break down for us. It's RNL Kerry Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW six seven hundred WLWR Carry or Sports Doc presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm alliance Bacanleister. Thanks for hanging out tonight. Settle in. We've got Bengals conversation early, we'll spray to all fields with various topics to follow. After that, let's talk Bengals packers, Let's talk Joe Flacco. It's what everybody's talking and everybody's writing about, including our next guest. Always a pleasure to hook up with the man from Bengals dot Com. That would be Jeff Hobson. How are you.
Speaker 4: Great to talk to you, Alas, thanks for having me on at Red Sox for about two and a half bats short, but I think Flaco might have enough choice to get the Bengals through somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everybody here can relate to being a bat or too short with the Reds lineup as well. Let me go to Joe Flacco. He talked with you guys today. How what's the sense for how he's adjusting to and getting up to speed with all of this.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, he's a higher gun. He's a confident guy, you know, as a Bengals villain. I had never talked to him before, so he struck me a little bit more than a little bit more soft open, and I thought of dying would be you know, he kind of has a has he kind of has a high court.
Speaker 2: He's got a high.
Speaker 5: Edge to him.
Speaker 4: You know, he's got a jersey guy, uh play tough and yet he's you know, you talk to him in person and he's a he's a a thoughtful guy until he's been around and uh, you know, gave some thoughtful answers today, Jeff.
Speaker 2: As this week has unfolded and you've made your way through that locker room, what's the sense for what this trade means and how it's received by everybody else in that locker room?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it. I think it meant a bunch of things. I think it's sent. The message from management was well received. This division is wide open.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: They believe they can uh, you know, they believe they can win it. They think they have the That's how they put this team together, uh with you know, with all in uh with winning your division and uh without Joe Burrow or not. And UH think they feel like they've got enough talent out there that if they can get a facilitator, get the get the thing into the uh into the hands of their playmakers, you know they've got a shot. And I you know, talking to veterans like Orlando Brown and and guys who have been around, you know, to get a veteran like this in mid season, it does give you a spark. Guy talking to a guy like Jordan Battle, a young defender who actually intercepted Flack on opening day, he said, you know, he's he's you know, we've got two Joe Cools. He says, they're both ice. So, uh you know, I think battle kind of get a center of him across the line of scrimmage. And if I do think it's given them, uh you know, the message has been sent, and I think they like the message. And uh so I think they've got a uh you know, they've got all the all the potentially they had a spark dare in slack.
Speaker 2: Off Jeff in a in a perfect world, what can he do for this offense? What might it look like if it's working.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a great question, uh Lance I I you know, that's what we're gonna find out. I guess uh uh I gotta believe it's gonna be uh you know, it's probably gonna be. Uh it's it's not gonna be as simple as we think it is, but I'm sure it's not gonna be intricate. But uh, you know, they've been up all hours here, so uh you know they've en up. Uh so they're contracting something. And I think it's you just make you make him comfortable, you know, you make him comfortable in the pocket, and you know, you give him. You know, he can find these guys. He's got the ability to find these guys. He's played eighteen years in the league. He's a Super Bowl MVP. He just he's just two years shy of uh doing this for Cleveland and become and comeback Player of the Year. So you know, and I think the thing, the thing is, if you give him time, those guys are gonna get open. And you know, that's what he said today. You know, uh, I, I've been asking.
Speaker 7: All week, what do you do about Tim?
Speaker 4: You know, these these guys make these unbelievable plays on Sunday that they've been together for weeks and months, you know. But Flacco was pretty matter of fact. He said, those two guys talking about JAMAI chasing T Higgins day the best in the world of what they do. If you can't get on the same page or throw it to them, you're in trouble, which I thought was a pretty good answer. Kind of reminded me of Joe mccatthey and Ted Williams. Jill McAthy said, if I can't Jill mccatthey said, if I can't get along with a four hundred hitter, that's my fault.
Speaker 2: Jeff Hobson jacking in Bengals dot Com talking about Sunday's matchup against the Packers. You mentioned Orlando Brown. You have an excellent Q and A with him on Bengals dot Com and explain the connection for those aren't aware. He's got a connection to Joe Flacco. Back to what when he was twelve years old, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: He was Joe Flacco's ball boy. He was the Ravens ball boy in Raven's pennycamp. You know, his dad, the late great Orando Brown year uh plate was was a staple for the Ravens and he retired by the time Flacco was a rookie, but Orlando hung around working there. So not only did he work with not only was he Flacco's ball boy, but Flaco was his quarterback eight years later when he made his first three NFL starts because the raven the hometown Raven straft in Orlando in the third round. So, you know, but like Orlando said, he hasn't had time, you know, hasn't had time to go down memory lane. You know, they're just trying to They're just trying to, you know, they're trying to get on the same page when it goes as you know, as far as detection, whereas Flacco is going to be in the pocket. And you know they're talking about that stuff, not not balloons in candies.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's let's talk about this defense which seems to be turning in a positive direction of progress being made incrementally. And one guy TJ. Slaton who goes home this weekend, obviously against the Packers, what he showed against the Lions, Jeff has to be the kind of the impact they were looking for when they signed him to begin with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that's exactly right. He's a he's he's he's a space eater. You know, got to stop and run. And that's exactly what they did. I mean, that's what got lost in Sunday's game really was. You know, that's a very good punishing running attack that Detroit hes, you know, and they and they and they went three point sixty eys on thirty three carries. So it wasn't like, you know, a small sample size. They stopped a very good running game. And you know, Slayton ran a pretty stout group there. You know, the linebackers filled the rains pretty well too, but you know, uh, you know they're gonna uh it's gonna be the same type of game up in Green Bay. The Packers rely on that run game a lot like the Lions do. Josh Jacobs is one of the best backs in the league, and uh, you know they don't want to put Jordan Love and third and you know in third and long, you know, if he gets bounced around back there, you know, he he he has trouble finding his footing, so uh, early downs a key. DJ Slayton Chris Jenkins Junior is really having a hell of a year, you know. Uh, he's he's coming into his own and uh, you know, I think that Clayton is really I think the last couple of games, I think he's had a bit. He's kind of had to readjust to carry Montgomery, but I think he's kind of had some fits and starts. But he seems to be, uh, he seems to be getting into a groove right now, and just some time to go back to the team to play the team to draft him.
Speaker 2: Obviously difficult times for when Jake Browning, you've been around him during this ride and roller coaster, what what's your sense of how he's handled this week?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't think you could ask him anything better. You know, Jake's a stand up guy. He was in front of his locker, you know, Wednesday, and Joe Flockow was on the other side of him. You know a lot of guys, I mean, I've been around when you know, guys would run into the training room or maybe you know, and I wouldn't, wouldn't, wouldn't.
Speaker 5: Meet the press.
Speaker 4: You met the press, took every question question And I think, listen, if there's one guy who knows that he's got to be ready, it's Jake Browning. I mean, you know, uh so I think you know, he he showed exactly that. You know, he said, uh, you know, he's not going to be moping around like a competitor. He said he was mad, but uh, you know, I think he knows, uh you know, this team needs and he's the backup quarterback. What do they say, right, he's a high feed away yep.
Speaker 2: Last question, I want to go back to the offensive line with the injury status. How might the offensive line look from the guard position on Sunday?
Speaker 4: Fair Child came back today the rookie left gud doing fair Child miss uh missed the first two days of practice with a knee with a knee issue, he's listed as questionable. Uh if he can't go, Uh, they at least have one veteran in reserve and Dalton uh Riisinger. And I don't know if Lucas Patrick is ready to go. He remember, he just came off injury reserve this week when he went full. The last two days he's listened as questionable. Not sure what his status would be. So, you know, I think they're just trying to Uh, they've got some options there. I think they do like what you know. Fair Child has kind of had a rough end through his game on Sunday when he gave up the safety, but I you know, the fact that he came out of the medical tent and uh played, you know, and played for as long as he did. I just think he's really been a guy that I think they think they believe in the next several years they can hang a hang a hat on.
Speaker 2: It has been too long. I appreciate you making time tonight. Good catching up in safe travels to Green Bay this weekend.
Speaker 4: Same here, Lance, appreciate it. In five minutes, I'll be posting a story about how this is really up in rambeau Field. It's kind of like a like a backyard babecue, a lot of connections. Everybody knows everybody.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to read it. Thank you, sir. All right, you as well. There you go, Jeff Hopson, how good is that?
Speaker 5: Talk?
Speaker 2: A little Bengals football out of the shoot? Let's keep talking little Bengals football we come back. You're gonna hear a little bit of Joe Flacco and I'm gotta tell you, and I've never listened to Joe Flacco speaking at any length of time. I'm gonna give you, and he spoke for if it's fifteen minutes, I've condensed into about two and a half or so. But it's the stuff about life and being this age and still playing football, in the impact of the trade on him and family, and in what the last three weeks have been like. You'll hear that as we continue. It's Arnel Carrier Sports Talk Presentybody Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW. Hey, I'm on X at Lance Pacmister, I'd like to follow. I be honored if you already followed. Thank you, and uh. It allows us to have conversations during the show. And outside the show, and give your heads up on what's coming up on the show at Lance Pacalister to follow, I'm gonna get to a poll question I asked earlier today to Bengal fans in just a second, I don't want to start here with Joe Flacco. I was struck by what Jeff Hobson said as well about never interviewing Joe Flacco and just the intry, interesting perspective he got. In hearing Flacco talk today, I was struck by the same thing. I probably heard, you know, a SoundBite two over the years of you know, fifteen twenty seconds long. Joe Flacco was talking after a game. I've never really paid attention to it, but in listening to him today and he spoke for twelve fifteen minutes, And to consider what he's been through over the last to three weeks, yeah, I mean. He signed with the Browns in the off season, comes here as the starter a couple of weeks into the season, gets benched. They travel to London and Dylan Gabriel is the starting quarterback. They come back from London and all of a sudden, this week on a Tuesday, he gets traded to the Bengals. He's in a car driving to pay Corpse Stadium and a five hour conversation with the head coach, and after a couple of practices, he's going to be starting against the Green Bay Packers on the road on Sunday. And I was struck by his perspective on this change in his life and how it's impacted not just him but his wife, family and all that comes with it, and playing football at the age of forty. So I thought it'd be worth taking a listen to just a couple of minutes of this Joe talking about the impact of the trade and what starting with what the car ride was like talking with Zach Taylor. Here's Joe Flacco earlier today. What was the car ride down like with Zach? Kind of on that phone call just as you were.
Speaker 5: Good, I mean I was tired.
Speaker 8: You know, I would have drove down myself, but they were nice enough to kind of take us down with me, and Zach got on the phone with me a little bit, just kind of going over some of the basic things that they had kind of have kind of had in for for this week, and then honestly, I kind of like crashed a little bit, like with my wife next to me and just got a little bit of rest. You know, we just got back from London and like waking up is easy, but like at eight.
Speaker 2: O'clock I was like hitting the wall.
Speaker 8: So it was nice to be able to just kind of get a little bit of rest on the drive after talking to him for a little while.
Speaker 9: Did you and your wife have a moment where you looked at each other and like, what does this actually happen?
Speaker 8: I think the last couple of weeks we've had those moments. You know, with everything in life, when things happen to you, you just like, all right, how do we get how do we go forward? What's the next step? And you don't it doesn't really hit you too hard, but the people that care about you, they almost wear it on their sleeve, all these different emotions more than you do. So honestly, like when this ended up happening, I think there was a little bit of excitement from her and yeah, we sure we looked at each other and we're like, you know, what the hell, but you could see I think it was ultimately excitement on you know what the future holds.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you're stepping in a situation where you can be a guy that can help this.
Speaker 10: Team stay and play on picture in that playoff conversation.
Speaker 5: I sure hope.
Speaker 8: So that's what I play for, is to win football games and help everybody be at their best. You know, I hope I can come in here and give these guys my best and you know, elevate us as much as I as I possibly can, and you know, see if we can win a few football games.
Speaker 9: Find out right away I think you're starting five days from that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's the first thing that costs in your head.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think my personality probably ends up helping me here. But you just kind of have to go with it and embrace whatever it is and meet it head on. And then also, like when you when you're in these situations, it's a good reminder of the fact that we get to play a game for a living. It makes it almost a little bit easier to not make it bigger than it actually is.
Speaker 9: Eighteen years in Super Bowl MVP, plenty of money in the bank, young family, Why are you still doing.
Speaker 8: This at forty I just feel like I have like a lot to offer to a football team. I feel like I've put in a lot of work, my whole life to get to this point in just terms of playing in the NFL in general, I hopefully will have a long life when I'm done, But you only get a chance to play in the NFL once.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've worked really hard, like I said, to be.
Speaker 8: A guy that gets to play in the NFL, and I don't want to take that for granted. I still feel like I can play the game at a high level, and I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror when I'm fifty years old and be able to say that, you know, I gave it everything I had.
Speaker 2: I found that really impressive. Again, having never really listened to him for any extended amount of time, I just I love the perspective and how he's approaching what has been laid before him. For this weekend, I want to do this because this has been the topic all week and I wrote about this earlier today and posted this on x and also at seven hundred WLW dot com and on my Facebook page at Lance Bacallister Sports Talk, and I thought it'd be worthy of conversation tonight with you because you've been living this for over five weeks and feeling this and absorbing it like a blind side hit. And a Bengals season that started with hopes and dreams and excitement took a sad and very gutting turn with the Joe Burrow injury, and then things turned dark and ominous and towards hopeless as Jake Browning melted down before our eyes. The last three weeks, I think we're being honest, they have felt like we were thrust at warp speed back into the nineties. I mean visions of Achille Smith and David Shula and Bruce Coslin and David Klingler dancing in our heads. And I said this earlier in the week. I'll admit I walked into Pakor Stadium for Bengals line on Monday, cringing at the thought of, man, there are twelve games left in this season, and they've dropped three straight and scoring three points in the first half of the last three games and been out score at asle whatever. The number one thirteen to thirty seven, and the volume of cries for tanking and draft talk was already being raised. And we're in October. I had fans reaching out and say they had flipped their calendars to count the days till pictures and catchers were reporting, wait a minute, the baseball season against ended last week. It felt desperate, and what's the old saying? Desperate times called for desperate measures, And on Tuesday, in maybe the biggest and boldest in season move in this franchise's history, the organization dropped back to pass and through a hail Mary, a trade, but not just any trade in intra division trade with the Cleveland Browns for Joe Flacco. I mean, like, what on earth is happening here? A trade so surprising that I feared I was being duped by the report, Like, wait a minute, let me let me check this Twitter account? Is this real? Forty years old, eighteen year veteran, he jumped in a car with his wife and was driven five hours to Cincinnati this week, all the while absorbing a crash course in Zach Taylor's offense over the phone. It's stuff movies are made of. But as I wrote this morning, will this will this screenplay produce a horror flick, a faery tale story of a comeback and redemption, or a slapstick comedy. Tuesday Night on sports Talk words like hope and revival were used by callers. The trade played to a seventy two percent approval rating on my Twitter question seventy two percent? Do you know how difficult it is to get seventy two percent of Bengal fans to agree with anything the organization does? Now? The dissenters declared a fear for Joe Flacco's well being, you'll ever survive and they longed for Russell Wilson or Jamis Winston. I thought my lunch conversation this week with friends boiled it down to the the cornycopia of feelings, and that's what led me to making it a topic.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 2: There's the there's the crowd that says, I'm in just a game out of the AFC North, one game out of a playoff spot veteran quarterback gun for an arm. There's another segment that says, and is loudly declared, I'm out no chance. They are cooked. They were cooked before, and they're really cooked with this statue of a quarterback in the pocket behind that offensive line. And then there's the third component in the like the the cornucopia of feelings I get from the fan base, the segment that says, I really have no idea what to expect, but I'm here for it. I'm curious enough to find out. How about you punk lines open first time tonight. Let's talk about that. Let's talk about this week and how it's played out before your eyes and the sense that it's left you for this team in out curio, curious enough to find out? Five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred the Big One Talk with you next RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW coming up seven o'clock. We'll drop in some UC football conversation. If you have been to lambeau Field, if you have ever been to historic lambeau Field, I am looking for you and your perspective that to follow for the moment. I'm looking for a perspective on how this has been absorbed this week and the feeling it has left you with. I'll give you the poll results here in a second. Are you in? Are you out? Or are are you curious enough to find out about what's gonna happen uh to this team? Now? What would Joe Flacco said to Alexandria Chris you were on seven hundred WLW going on, I'm.
Speaker 11: Gonna say I'm on the fence because I mean, I was starstruck when I heard the news. I work like you were. I had to double chess.
Speaker 12: Sorts and whatnot.
Speaker 11: But I'm on the fence because once I cooled down and got to really thinking, I got to thinking about Tom Brady and going down to Tampa Bay Brandon. I don't think it was an end season trade, but I mean almost the same level as trade.
Speaker 2: Maybe he finds the fountain of youth at age forty and paired with the two best receivers he's ever thrown to. There's a new chapter written in the career of Joe Flacco. How cool would that be?
Speaker 5: It'd be cool.
Speaker 11: I mean, we'll have to see. We'll just have to see if the team performs along with them.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. Chris, thank you and enjoy your weekend. The question posed on Twitter Bengals are two and three, Joe Flacco takes over, how are you feeling about all of this? Three choices? I'm in, I'm out, I'm not sure, let's find out, and running right now at about fifty nine percent, say you know what, I'm not sure, but let's find out. I want to do that. I want to carry this over into the seven o'clock hour at five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, one, eight hundred, the Big One because the lunch conversation I had sparked this, because I heard all three sides of it at the table. You've if you've listened this week, you've heard me lay out a scenario where, hey, the reality is that this this may not feel very good. And certainly after Sunday it did not feel very good. It felt dark and bleak and ominous and hopeless. And then if you look at the standings, you say, wait a minute, is that right? Are the Are the Bengals only a game out of the AFC North behind the Steelers? Does anybody believe the Steelers are really that good? I don't. And then you look and say, wait a minute. In the AFC playoff picture, the Bengals are really the number eight seed in a seventeen player field. I posted that on my Facebook page this week and said, ah, you're trolling people. Yeah, I'm like, it's just the standings. I'm not saying they're gonna make the playoff. I mean to say, right now, the reality is seven teams make the playoffs, and right now, after all, that's happened. They're number eight, and they're ahead of the likes of Kansas City, and they're ahead of the likes of Houston, and they're ahead of the likes of Buffalo. That's reality. That's not me giving an opinion on it.
Speaker 5: That's just how it is.
Speaker 2: So fifty nine percenter saying not sure, let's find out, fourteen percent say I'm out, and about twenty seven percent say I'm in. And let me be clear on this, I don't think Sunday is the determining factor of whether this will work or not. I'm not saying win or lose will determine how the remaining eleven games will go, because I would expect they lose on Sunday. I'd love for him to win, but let's understand the reality of this situation. They're on the road, they're a fourteen point under the and the starting quarterback has had three practices, so I would anticipate the shock would be if they won. I would love it. I would anticipate they lose, but with this game to get under his belt, I know it's a quick turnaround to next week, but it's also a very familiar opponent in the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'll take my chances. I don't think this is the determining factor if they lose now, I would prefer I think it is important that they look more competitive than they have the last three weeks, because for three weeks they have not looked competitive. They not look like an NFL team. They certainly did not get NFL caliber play from the quarterback. I'm looking on a couple of sites. ESPN right now has the Packers' odds to win at eighty point four percent. Eighty point four percent. I'm looking at another site as the Packers ninety chance to win.
Speaker 5: Ye yee.
Speaker 2: So let's take a time out, Let's get a check on news, your calls to start the seven o'clock hour on this. I want to get into a lambeau Field as well, but I'm I'm looking for your your state of emotion right now with this team in out, we're curious at least five one, three, seven, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred the big one eight o'clock hour tonight. The off the Beaten path topic. One of the beauties of getting back to a more regular routine of sports talk and Friday nights is the off the beaten path topic. We've got a fun one coming up two hours from now, but up next your calls after we check news. It's right now. Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred Wlwollowing.
Speaker 1: Takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's keep moving. Seven oh eight, seven hundred WLW. The weekend is here. You are here, I'm here, Drew Western Iety is here. Let's see what we can do with this in this hour. I know what we're going to do in the next hour. The off the Beaten Path topic coming up in the eight o'clock hour, and then Sterling Tonight takes over at nine. We've got ground to cover, let's get to it. First hour spent talking with Jeff Hobson from Bengels dot com. Some really good insight on jamar Or, on Joe Flacco and TJ. Slayton and more that'll be available in podcast form at seven hundred WLW dot com and through the iHeartRadio app. You heard from Joe Flacco. If you were around, you heard it, and I'd hard not to be impressed with what he said and how he's handling this week. And it's led to the sense and this was our running conversation at lunch this week, and I was part of a three person conversation, and each person represented a different perspective on this team. And I said, that's a topic for Friday night. Because I heard in terms of Bengals being two and three with Joe Flacco now quarterbacking, I heard, I am out, they are done, they're cooked. I heard talk of tanking. I don't even know what that means or how you think that would would look. And there's twelve games left and they're a game out of the division lead, and they're a game out of the playoffs. Who tanks when you're a game out of the division and a game out of the playoffs. And that was part of the conversation at lunch, and I heard, you know what, I really have no idea what to expect now, but I'm here for it. I can't wait to see how things look come Sunday at lambeau Field. And I'm more of the mindset of I'm I'm in because they're just a game out and it's a veteran quarterback with a gun for an hour, who's got twelve games left. And if there was ever an offense that needed juice a boost, an enhancement. I know, I have to tell you it's this one. They're averaging seventeen points a game. The only team's averaging fewer points per game the Raiders, the Browns, and the Titans. Do you realize right now? T Higgins is on pace for a grand total of forty four catches for five hundred and thirty seven yards. Chase Brown, who I had visions of twelve hundred yards rushing, is on pace for five hundred and forty four. He's averaging two and a half yards to carry. He's averaging five point three yards a catch, five point three. Mike Kasicki has been targeted a grand total of sixteen times for the season. He's on pace for twenty seven catches. Do you you know how many catches Mike is sick? He had last year sixty five. He's on pace for twenty seven. So that's where I come from and thinking, man, Joe Flacco. Now it's like Joe Flacco kama. If they can just keep him upright, Comma and they can just run the ball a little bit. I can't wait to see how that looks. Let's go out to the phones. Five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, what eight hundred the big one to jump in with us in pleasant Ridge? Hey, Matt, what do you make of all this?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 13: I was optimistic until I heard all you're a stack.
Speaker 2: Well wait a minute, it is supposed to work the opposite way.
Speaker 13: Right, No, I actually think he's gonna do pretty good. I mean, with what they had available out there to choose from. And I heard earlier today that they were maybe I don't know if they talked to Carolina about getting Andy Dalton.
Speaker 14: I'm sure they wanted an armlag.
Speaker 13: But for the trade that they made, they didn't really lose anything. I mean, they've lost a fifth round pick and they went back one round. Yeah, but you know, I mean we're talking about the Cleveland Browns. They may pick a quarterback again in the fifth round. But no, I'm I'm excited. I'm kind of concerned about him being kind of mobile and have to run for his life.
Speaker 15: But you know, but with a leader like him, he's got a super Bowl under his belt. You know, I'm I'm looking forward to Sunday's game. I'm not going to hide under the covers.
Speaker 14: So but.
Speaker 13: I'm I'm really excited. I was, and I actually go on a thought, I wonder if they would trade Plato, and then when they did, Yeah, I'm kind of excited. And I think, you know, he's coming in with a good attitude and he's upbeat, and we'll see, you know. I mean, maybe they only lose by three Sunday, or maybe they went by three Sunday. I don't know, but I think it's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 2: That's uh go ahead.
Speaker 13: And hopefully Chase uh gets over whatever he's got and he can. Yeah, so either that or t Higgins, we'll have a few more catches and so I don't know, but yeah, I can't wait. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I like it. Hey, Matt, enjoy your weekend. Thank you. Right, Yeah, that's the lot of the night, and that I've heard so many earlier in the week. It was it was touted as a revival, and that sound overly dramatic. I know what he was saying, because maybe it can be in simplest terms. Maybe it's simply this. It's better than what they had. It's the alternative. It's the best, best alternative because you couldn't. I couldn't. We couldn't watch Jake Brown and quarterback again. Nothing against the guy. Nothing personal against the guy, but it has not been NFL caliber play for three consecutive weeks. You're gonna get a much better shot at seeing NFL caliber play from Joe Flacco this weekend. And I what the caller just said. I'm looking forward to Sunday's game. I'm not going to hide under the covers. Let's go to Florence. Hey, Zach, what do you think?
Speaker 16: Hey Lance, what's happening?
Speaker 2: You tell me?
Speaker 16: Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 17: I think it was Tuesday.
Speaker 16: I had since three sixty on like I always do. And Austin, Uh. It was Austin and Joe Danaman doing a regular Tuesday and Joe Daniman's talking, He's doing his thing, and out of nowhere, Austin hits the breaking news button and I said, all the boy, I know what's coming. Who did we get because mind you, I might have just gotten cut yea earlier?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 16: And uh, And I hear Austin all I can all I remember it saying was he and rapping for so? I knew it was juicy And then the words come out of his mouth, it's Joe Flacko, Oh my kidness.
Speaker 18: Who So.
Speaker 16: I was like they went out and got the most.
Speaker 19: Immobile quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 18: And that was my knee jerk reaction.
Speaker 16: So then I settled down and I looked at it, and I said, well, let's look at it. He's got a career passer rating of ninety. I get that an eight minus. And for what it's worth, Aaron Rodgers has a one or two and Joe Burrow sits at one oh one. And I said, well, let me think about this year. He's got a super Bowl. Obviously, he never was really required to lead the team, to take put the team on his back, you know. He always had a little bit of help around, especially on defense. But compared to him and Jake Browning, I think when Joe Burrow went down, Jake Browning saw it, and I think he immediately felt the pressure because this team had high expectations this season, almost super Bowler partner. So I think Jake Browning wasn't ready for this moment this year. And I really believe he was out there, you know, quote seeing ghosts, and so I believe flat though, has the ability to feel that pressure coming. But seventeen years of experience, he can feel and collapsing on the left and right, And I really just hope he can. He can step up into the pocket, go through one reto read get the ball out to chase work you sicky like you said, Noah, Fan, I mean, we've got the weapons, and I think he can get the ball to them and probably probably avoid the sack, you know. And and and I was also look at what day Browning has eight interceptions and if Blaco has six, well, you know, through of those interceptions where it gets the Bengals, where are his receivers, you know, Cedric.
Speaker 2: Tillton right right, Yeah.
Speaker 16: They bounced, they bounced off of them, and the bangles happened to get the interceptions. And I think that happened again in another game they played, and I can't remember.
Speaker 20: So you look at six interceptions, that's what the stat seat says, but that's that's not true.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 16: I'm excited, man, you know, I'm excited. I can't wait for Sunday.
Speaker 17: And you know, if we could just.
Speaker 16: Stay afloat and you know, baby, if Joe comes back, he was he was in the walking boot. And you know, I think Joe Danaman hinted ad that maybe that's a sign of a of a faster healing process than we all imagine.
Speaker 2: So buckle up and let's go. There you go, Let's go and can't wait. Yes, sir Zach, thank you you you as well, enjoy your weekend. We'll come back. I want to squeeze in a couple more on this and we'll transition to a little bit of lambeau Field talk as well. It's rn L Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred WLW. Earlier in the week, when the announcement became official with Joe Flacco, words like hope and revival were used by callers checking in and reflecting on their emotions towards this team. Tonight, to callers said quote, I'm looking forward to Sunday's game. I'm not going to hide under the covers. How about you in Mount Zion, Tim, Welcome to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 22: Hey Lance, how's it going, buddy?
Speaker 2: Very well? How are you?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 22: Not that I still have not forgiven Matt McLean for his iniquities in the baseball season, But besides that, h this football NFL season is that's crazy. I mean, you got the game last night, Giants blowing out the Eagles. Who saw that coming? I mean who says that the Bengals can't go into lambeau Field and you know, give the Packers a pound and after seeing you know how this football season is going. Yeah, yes, I'm going to be optimistic and hopefully the defense gets it together and the Bengals and Joe Flacco U can get the Dolphins rolling even without Jamar Chase. It sounds like, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hit on it. It's a classic. It's going to take a village. They've got to protect him, they've got to run the ball more, and if everybody does a little, then it may Can you imagine if we were sitting here on Monday and the Bengals had one Ingreen baby get the three and three? Holy cow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 22: Man, reality.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's hold off on that. Let's just hold off on that for the moment. A right, thanks to them, are you as well? Columbus we go? And then Westchester? Hey, Jeff, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, how you doing. I'm okay?
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 16: No, mad?
Speaker 5: Not bad?
Speaker 19: Yeah, the I think if the opposite line where let's just say even twenty in the league, Yes, I feel pretty good about this trade working out. But at this point, I mean that caller said he can feel the pressure. Well, if that's true, he's gonna feel it before the football touches his head.
Speaker 12: That line sucks.
Speaker 19: I don't think Orlando Brown Junior has touched a defensive player in three weeks.
Speaker 2: Jeez, yeah yeah, And oh, by the way, Dylan yeah, oh by the way, Dylan Fairchild may not play, and they they may have the Alton Reisner or somebody.
Speaker 19: The line of ranked fiftieth out of thirty two when they're getting worse this week, not better this This team the offensive line can't move people, which is why Chase Brown is on pace.
Speaker 16: For five hundred yards O.
Speaker 2: It's amazing to.
Speaker 19: Make a decision with a football in one point seven seconds.
Speaker 16: And Joe Flacco, who can throw the.
Speaker 19: Deeple I like the guy, you need four seconds to throw the deep ball.
Speaker 20: How's this line gonna give.
Speaker 19: Him four seconds? Maybe we could convert to steamboats for a week and see if he can get it down the field.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with this. How about this? Could you buy this? I'm gonna think you know, Tom Brady was never considered mobile, but he made it work. Maybe Joe Flacco can find a way to make it work on Sunday.
Speaker 19: Well, I would agree with you if the line could hold up. Remember Brady played behind some really good lines.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, making sense. So I did like your line. The ranked fifth, so that means they're rank behind thirty two NFL teams and seventeen Division One teams. So the Bengals land fiftieth for the lot.
Speaker 19: I would feel better about the Ohio State offensive line than I.
Speaker 2: Would another line of the night. Hey Jeff, have a great weekend. All right, all right, thank you. You guys are on your game. This is fun. How about Westchester and Brian? Welcome to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 17: Hey good even laughs.
Speaker 2: How you doing, I'm very well. Thank you for calling. What's on your mind?
Speaker 4: So I have somewhat I have some hope.
Speaker 17: Okay, yes, And the reason being is I've been really really impressed with Rivers playing guard the last two games in Denver and a large part in Detroit. Brownie had some pockets, but he just got skiddish and ran outside. I mean, he could have stepped up and made some throws if he was patient enough to do it. And I also think that the running game is going to be better with Joe Flacco, like to be like, he likes to be under center more and when you're a shotgun there's only so many run concepts that you can do out of shotgun, and I think with him being under center, it would it would make the defense guests.
Speaker 4: A lot more than they have been in the past.
Speaker 17: And Joe Burrow, of course is good enough to overcome that, but Jake Browning is not. So I anticipate the offense will look better. I think the Bengals will put up you know, somewhere in the upper twenties this weekend and possibly win.
Speaker 5: Brian.
Speaker 2: I think, let's see, Brian, you made a great point, and I think it's the fascinating aspect of Sunday. How are they going to kind of massage and morph this offense into more of a Joe Flacco And how much do they have him under center? I can't I mean, I will be counting on my sheet. I'm gonna be counting the number of times he goes under center. I can't wait to see what is going to look like.
Speaker 16: Yeah, me either.
Speaker 17: I gotta feeling, you know, Chase Brown's gonna have a decent game. I think it's gonna be a lot of surprise on Green Bay, because, yes, Joe Flacco is prepared in a new offense, but Green Bay is prepared for a new quarterback offense, so they haven't seen in this offense. So it's gonna be a little bit of an element of surprise for the Green Bay defense too. So and our defense has been playing pretty well given the fac our offense has been no existence. So I'm excited about the young offensive line. I think I think we got a good future ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Hey, Brian, I enjoyed this. Have a great weekend, all right, you two, sir? Thank you. How about that conversation over the last hour, man, that was that was really good. I enjoyed that. Yeah. How how different do they do they approach this? How much is he under center? How much does he use the tight end? How much does he use Chase Brown out of the backfield, short passes, dump off passes, and let them do their thing. We'll find out Sunday starting at four twenty five. All right, I have a request if I could. I've got two segments plotted out for this the off the beating path topic coming up at eight o'clock, but for the next couple of segments, I have a request if you have been to lambeau Field, please grab a phone line five one three seven four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, the big One. I have never been to lambeau Field. It's unchecked on my bucket list of sports venues. I spent a lot of time today researching lambeau Field and talking with people about lambeau Field. I love the history of iconic historic places, and I love the tales that come with those who had a chance to experience it. So when we come back, I want to take some calls. What was it like? It's interesting. There's one theme that has developed and I posted this on Facebook earlier today Lance Bacallister sports Talk, and one of the themes was how fan friendly that stadium experience was. For those who've been there, have you tell me about it? Next, it's r NOL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW. Lambeau Field opened September twenty ninth, nineteen fifty seven. At that time there were thirty two thousand, one hundred and fifty seats. Lambeau now has over eighty one thousand, second largest stadium in the NFL. The waiting list from what I saw today The current waiting list for season tickets nearly one hundred and fifty thousand names, so with a renewal rate of more than ninety nine percent, names come off the list slowly. Thirty to forty year weights. Babies are added to the list upon birth. Read a story about a fan named Corey Vogel of Green Bay who was put on the list when he was two. He's now fifty one and recently got Packers' season tickets. I've been too fortunate to have visited historic Kinklefield House. I've been to the Rose Bowl. I've been to the Brickyard, Old Boston Garden, Old Chicago Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium, Madison Square Garden, the Big House, the Horseshoe, Wrigley. Did I say Boston Garden? I think I said Boston. I have never been to lambeau Field. What's it like in Burlington, Tom, You have been to iconic historic the frozen tundra of lambeau Field.
Speaker 10: It's amazing. Oh you gotta go, you really and you really need to go in the winner. You know, I mean nothing against Sunday Afternoon. Uh, but you know it's not the Frozen Hungry yet I was there for a playoff game between the Niners and the Packers out a little over twenty years ago. Brett Farv in this prime, my cousin was the quarterbacks coach for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 10: So it was Jeff Jeff Garcia to t o and we were ahead at halftime because Farv was crappy in the first half and then Farv did what Farv does and and boat raced us in the second half. It was a divisional playoff game, so they won and then they the next week was the NFC championship game. But the fans, the fans are are beyond friendly. I mean, I was wearing Niners gear. A buddy of mine we had we had Niners gear on. We're just there to support my cousin and and uh, you know, coaching up Jeff Garcia, who was never supposed to be that good, but he was really good. And uh that we tailgated, like we just walked around and we got invited. We ate more broths than we knew what to do with. The beers were handed to us. They are friendly asking us about the experience. It's really it really is a community.
Speaker 2: It sounds community like well.
Speaker 16: It's a community.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a mindset.
Speaker 16: They were welcoming.
Speaker 10: You know, there were no I mean yeah, people were having beers, but nobody was hammered beyond belief. Nobody was puking in their seat, nobody was looking to throw down.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 10: There was nobody getting up to get nachos on third and one in the fourth quarter when it's tied, like they do at pay Corps. So yeah, maybe they watched the damn game there and that's exciting. And right behind me were guys who lived in the same apartment complex with the starting linebacker, starting middle linebacker for the Packers. They're like, oh, yeah, you know so and so I can't remember who it was. And I go yeah, and they go, he lives three doors down from me, you know. And it was a true a true community. And you got to go and go in the winner. Yeah, it's in the town is magical. It's like Cooperstown. It's like Cooperstown with a pro team in it. It was just if the Yankees played in Cooperstown. It would be that vibe.
Speaker 5: All right, what a.
Speaker 2: Perfect call that, Tom, That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for calling.
Speaker 14: Sure, Thanks Liam.
Speaker 2: Have a great night. I love stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: Let me go to Fairfield, Donna, you've been to Lambeau Field.
Speaker 3: Lance, I have been to Lambeau and you gotta do it. You gotta put it on your bucket list. You know. One of my best best experiences is Joe Knoxall Miracle League Field. But Lambeau is a bucket list item, and I went there as a lifetime Bengals fan. I went to a Sunday night game. They played the Browns of all teams and the game was at seven o'clock Central time. We got there at nine am and we were late to the party. And there's it's it's a magical place. One of my friends has her family had season tickets. We're about twenty twenty rows up fifty yard line than Man and it's it's a place where it's a big party with the friendliest people and a football game breaks out.
Speaker 2: Magic magic magic to do it.
Speaker 3: Lance.
Speaker 2: It is on the list. Donna, have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Thanks Lancer too, Thank you man.
Speaker 2: I couldn't ask for better. You're you're painting the picture for me Newport and then we'll grab Otis after Malcolm. Malcolm, You're on seven hundred WLW. You've been to lambeau Field.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have, lance I echo everything said before me. It's a bucket list item if you're into going to the stadiums.
Speaker 5: I went up there.
Speaker 4: It was not the frozen Tundra. It was early September that that's when Chad Johnson did the Lambo Leap if you remember. Oh, yes, back in two thousand and nine. So we and we're actually leaving early tomorrow to go up there again this weekend. Yes, it's We've been to several SEC stadiums, several college and pro stadiums, Bengals games across the country. Lamba's Field is like church festival that meets SEC tailgating.
Speaker 2: That's it's.
Speaker 10: It's it's such a small town that it's it's almost like these bars pop up and it's like a like a you get a festival kind of field, but it's the pageantry. The locals really take pride in the experience there. You can tell, and I think everybody's there is on a road trip because the town is real small. There's this thing they I remember back in the eighties they used to play some of their games in Milwaukee, and so there's a thing where there's Milwaukee season ticket holders and there's Green Bay season ticket holders.
Speaker 4: So I think the last time we went it was a Milwaukee season ticket holder game. So it's everybody's in a great mood. They're there to see some football, they're there to have fun, and it's definitely it reminds me of Tennessee. We went to Texas Austin, Texas last year. It reminds me of that. It's just one of those things you've got to do. There's a Raignishki practice field real close to Lambeau, at least it was the last time we were there, and it's just like it's just like everything pops up for the crowd coming in and it's like a festival. And the best thing was is we beat them in two thousand and nine I think it was, and then went to brett Ford Steakhouse. I don't think that's there anymore, but it was one of the finest stakes I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Ah, very nice. Oh you have painted the perfect picture, man, Malcolm. Thank you for listening, Thanks for calling, Thank you. Lam all right, have a good night. And I've also heard it. I guess I should just pull it up on Google maps, like when you're driving there, you're you're in like an it's neighborhood, neighborhood, houses, house's house, boom, there's Lambeau like right in the middle of like the neighborhood. And I was looking online. I assume the Hall of Fame, Do I understand it correctly? They have moved the Packer Hall of Fame into or like it attaches to the stadium. Now what did it used to be separate? And now part of Lambeau is? And maybe I understand it. I maybe if I just go I would know they answered all these questions. Otis talk to me, what was Lambeau? Like?
Speaker 7: Hey, lance to what it is? I mean, it's amazing.
Speaker 12: It's hard.
Speaker 7: It's hard to add a lot to what they have to say. But we actually went up there in between seeing the Reds at Wrigley and then on Monday night we went and saw the Reds play the Brewers. So it was kind of a little surprise thing that that got thrown at us at the last minute. We were staying in Milwaukee. We got up at dark thirty and went over to a bar where they were already serving Bloody Mary's and beers and and got on a bus and you get on this bus and you know you're on there with a bunch of bans and and and the aisleway is just filled with bags with beer and wine and liquor. When you get up to go back to the bathroom, you can't walk down the aisleway.
Speaker 16: You got to hold on to the railings above. And when you go by, everybody's.
Speaker 7: Yelling at you, green and yellow, green and yellow, go, pat go. And it was so amazing. I mean, the trip there was amazing. It took about almost two hours to go through their beautiful sunrise farms in the middle of nowhere. And then I said, when you know, when you get there, it is like that. I mean, it's this small town that's got this amazing stadium in the middle of it. And if they ever lost that team, they would never they would never get it back. All the houses around there. The bus stop and dropped us off at a house and we went up in the backyard and they were cooking all kinds of raps and sandwiches and burgers and just serving drinks intil's like you just had whatever you wanted. There was little, you know, souvenirs and footballs. You played in the yard and you hung out and they said, all right, man, it's just it's it's time.
Speaker 16: To go, and you walk over there.
Speaker 7: You can't miss it. There's no way to miss it.
Speaker 16: It's just right in the middle of town.
Speaker 2: You go over there.
Speaker 7: Now, we're big time Reds fans, but when I was a kid, we moved to Florida, and since that he didn't have a team, Florida didn't have a team, might have worked for ge. We got transfer down there. So I'd always seen those Packer things, the slow motion things, the guy's voice, the frozen thunder everything. So like my wife and I just you know, hey, we're we're we're Packer fans and we're actually Tacker owners. We each have a share of that. And incredibly to go back, it's twenty eighteen. We can't wait to go back. It's the best experience.
Speaker 14: Had so much fun.
Speaker 7: You go in there and I mean you just buy yourself, you know, a home jersey, and you sit around and talk to everyone. They played Minnesota. There was a couple of Minnesota fans on the bus. Everybody gave them shit. But I'm osorry with that mud. I mean, everybody gave them crap, but not in a bad way, you know, And everybody teased them. And it was the game in twenty eighteen in September where they played five quarters.
Speaker 1: To a tie.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, yes, yes man, Oh I am so jealous. I'm so what a description otis. Thank you for calling tonight. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah you too, sir, My play all right?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, I really gotta go. That was fantastic. That was absolutely fantastic. Thank you for those who took the time to contribute to that painting of the picture. Hangtight, come back, wrap up the hour. Transition to the off the Beaten Path topic. It deals with the o left hander. It's our yearly off the Beaten Path topic. It is ahead RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Since zero Framer runs out of bounds and off Bearcats our victorious. The student section comes pouring out onto the field here at Nebrick Stadium.
Speaker 23: It is not an upset, It is an uprising. As Cincinnati knocks off undefeated fourteenth ranks Iowas State five a final score to thirty eight to thirty.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to watch the Bearcats. Listen to the Bearcats tomorrow four and one home at use against UCF nipper noon here on seven hundred WLW. Will Win gets them to five and one, and all Likeliho gets them into the top twenty five and then they go to a bad Oklahoma state team next weekend Man. I talked with Keithan Nicholson last night from Bearcat Journal, part of the Roundtable Show. And the one thing that has stuck out to me in following this UC team and every Tuesday night when I'm driving home, I'm listening to the Scott Saderfield Show. And in a day and age of nil and transfer portal and a lot of new faces, you never know how things click and fit and if all the pieces do fit together, and this team seems like it really fits together well and they like each other. Not to sound all goofy and corny, but I asked Keegan about this team and kind of the makeup of this roster. Here's what he told me.
Speaker 24: Kawie Walker, he said it himself on Tuesday at the radio show. Plainly, he said, there is more belief and heart in this team, and it starts from the top down with the leaders one of those leaders is Brendan Survey, who looks I love this dude's game. How he runs the ball, how he s throws the ball, how he plays. He looks like he's having fun. But he's genuinely just a really really good dude. Like he's a really really good human being that you would just want to sit down and have a conversation with. And the most impressive thing about him to me is after that last PCU game last year and they go five and seven, loose five straight, he was very very quick to commit to coming back after the game. He could have said, you know, I want to keep my options open. I'm gonna talk with my agent and my parents and we'll see what happens, because there were some schools coming after him. But he wants to win at Cincinnati. He wants to win for Scott Saderfield.
Speaker 2: And that kind.
Speaker 24: Of leadership and that commitment kind of trickled down throughout the entire team on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Keegan Nicholson Bearcat journalized that on the Roundtable show. Now, remember last year they beat Arizona State, big win over Arizona State, got to five and two. I hand raised, I did the topic, how do you feel about Scott Sadderfield now has the corner been turned? Are you back yet on Scott's Sadderfield? And then what happened. They promptly didn't win the rest of the year. They lost every game the rest of the way. And so I asked Keegan last night, what's the difference this year compared to last year at this point when when they couldn't win the rest of the year, what will make it different this season? Here's what he told me.
Speaker 24: The biggest thing for me, and it's really really plain, is their wide receivers are faster, and when you have a quarterback like Brendan Sourpey, when you have three wide receivers who can stretch the field, it opens up so much to the playbook for Scott Sadderfield, who's that offensive mind and the guy that wants to call the plays.
Speaker 2: Last year they.
Speaker 5: Had good wide receivers.
Speaker 24: Tony Johnson got a big payday to go to Miami. Jamoynees made the Bengals roster and Xavier Henderson was their one and he had some length and a little bit of speed. But what they were finding is that teams are just king in on Joe Royer like daring the receivers to try to get open, and it just wasn't working in the last half of the season. So now that you have Cyrus Allen and now that you have cayleb Goody, who are all guys that have.
Speaker 5: Had multiple explitsive plays.
Speaker 24: You saw the Goodie posts that he had opened against Iowa State. The offensive line is obviously really good thing, and that you had so much turnover and if they're still good, But if I had to point to the number one reason it'd be different, it's that they.
Speaker 5: Have some burners on the outside.
Speaker 24: And a really really good quarterback's taken that year two jump to give them the ball.
Speaker 2: Keegan Nicholson Bearkad Journal. That entire conversation in podcast form. It's seven hundred WLW dot com and through the iHeartRadio app. Remember everything said is a podcasted last night's Roundtable show Sports Talk individual interviews. If you miss Jeff Hobson earlier in the show, all right, we put two in the books already. Wow, this is perfect. Up next the return of the off the beaten Path topic, and it deals with the old left hander. You're gonna want to hear what's going to lead off the eight o'clock hour. It's Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling, no raising to slow down. Now we have blown through the first two hours of Friday night Sports Talk. The downside to doing this is that means the red season is over. The upside is I love three full hours and on a Friday night, it allows us a chance to do the off the beaten path topic. If you're new to the show, one Welcome two on Fridays, I always consider the eight o'clock hour a chance to It's the end of the week. Nobody wants to rant, raven, scream and yell, and I always try to do a fun, light topic. And that can be sports, but it can be TV, movies, music list, you name it. And I'm always looking for an off the beaten path topic. I stress a lot during the week. Kelly will attest to the fact that sometimes I'm not in the best of moods if I'm struggling to come up with it off the beaten path topic. If you ever have one, email me Lance at lancebacallister dot com and I'll give you full credit if I use it. It's just a way to end the week and have some fun. And I love I love the list, and I love storytelling. I love allowing you to connect back to a memory in your life that brings a smile to your face. I love hearing people tell stories. And that's the biggest part of why I enjoy the Off the Beaten Path topic. Tonight we roll it out, and the anniversary happened last Friday. And I have certain off the Beaten Path topics I circle on my calendar or they're in my Google calendar, and they pop up in a week in advance like it's coming up, and I love them. And last week, on Friday night, it was the anniversary of this moment, and I was not on the air. I was off. Ironically, I was off because I was at a Joe Nuxhall Miracle League Fields event, a night for Hope and the amazing work they're doing and building towards the Hope Center, which is just going to be an amazing facility. But I said, I can't pass on the topic because I've said as long as I'm blessed fortunate enough to do this show. I'm going to do this topic at this time of year. Last Friday night, October third, twenty, two thousand and four, the anniversary Joe Nuxall signed off for the final time, retired after sixty years of service with the Reds thirty one of those, with his broadcast partner Mardy Brenneman, and I have for you the postgame show his final words as he signed off. This runs about seven or eight minutes, might require a Kleenex at some point, but it's going to lead us into conversation about nusy and moments and memories. And the idea is not to be sad what I just I like hearing Joe's voice. But the idea is to make us remember Joe and then share stories and reflect on Marty and Joe and Joe's impact on you. And maybe there's somebody listening for the first time who didn't get to listen to Joe or is unaware of the impact he had on this city or on you. That's why I want to share the stories. So I'm going to take you back for this to October third, two thousand and four, Reds and Pirates had wrapped up the season and this is the final postgame show and sign off from the old left hander Joe Nuxhall.
Speaker 25: Take a listen, Marty thirty one years foul, and I guess we go back to that first day and Brandentton, Florida when you joined the ball club.
Speaker 21: That was okay, but then we move up to a Lopez field.
Speaker 5: That's correct, that's right.
Speaker 26: I remember like it was yesterday, Chicago White Sox. You and I were sitting up there at the top of the stands. I'm here, ken Kimball is there. You're over here, and I welcome people to al Michaelsfield. I mean, good lord, and I get no help from you. That's about the only time I figured yous me out to drive one years.
Speaker 5: I know you were I couldn't talk.
Speaker 26: And as soon as you go to the commercial break, you said, I'll be damned, we ain't got to the regular season yet. I've got material for the bank of the circuit next fall, which made me feel even better.
Speaker 5: And of course I go back to UH.
Speaker 21: We go to that eventful day and uh Dayton, Ohio when you joined us on the Reds caravan, and uh, I think we had to go to a studio oneed to get a picture.
Speaker 26: We went to a photography studio in Dayton and uh, well, I mean, we'll have a.
Speaker 5: Hard time getting through this now, Oh, we'll make it. I think, you know, it's it's.
Speaker 26: We haven't talked about it all year, and we chose not to because we knew this day was going to come.
Speaker 21: It's here, and it's you know, it's it's you know, I don't know how to explain it. I really thought that by doing just a few games during the course of the year and make it this this particular day, I'm not easier.
Speaker 5: But it hasn't. It's been thirty one years.
Speaker 21: And we've had some great times together. I guess you look back on the seventy ball clubs and then the ninety club, which no one really expected that much out of to go wire to wiren Yeah, to sweep the Oakland A's four games.
Speaker 5: What a great time we.
Speaker 26: Had well in the old ballpark, and being here in Great American Ballpark for two seasons now and and and as wonderful as this facility is, and as devoted as it is exclusively in one percent to the game of baseball, it'll be hard pressed to equal the run of years at that ballpark next doorhead. I mean with players and teams and moments. You know, I've been lucky because I was here through the most fruitful period in this club's history, and of course sitting side by side with you for thirty one years.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 26: Now you got me. I know you shouldn't have said that, you know, I knew, But you know, I told people I think I think. I think that's the most macho thing a man can do. And I've told people for years. I said, he can joke and cry at door openings, the sun coming up, it doesn't make any difference. And uh, and I knew it wouldn't take long to get you. In fact, I've been working on it. I've got my own stop watching my head to see how long it would take.
Speaker 21: Well, you know, it's just well it's been my life, you know. Yeah, I decade's sixty years of playing and watching the game of baseball, and all of it was the same club. I hope people understand how difficult this is to say goodbye to you in a sense, as far as sitting in this booth and the players, the association with them, it's it's tough, and we're going to get through it, but who I'm want to miss you?
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 26: Like I said in that open letter of the day, there's golf to be played and laughs to be had, and hopefully a lot of that will be with me down the road because I'm going to be around. And you know, thirty one years in our business, and I don't know that people realize it. This is about as transient a business as there is. Guys are always looking for a stepping stone to something bigger and better. And to have two people sit side by side for thirty one years, which by the way, is one thing I'm as proud of as anything that I've ever accomplished. That's a record for broadcasters in Major League Baseball. Nobody, Jack Buck, Mike Shannon, no one was together that long, and I don't think anybody will ever be that together that long again, And that says something I'm very proud of.
Speaker 21: That ditt oh here, I think our relationship has been outstanding. You look back on some of the things we just talked about, and when you think of thirty one years sitting in a booth side by side, that you would have some disagreements. I think we can honestly say we've not had one serious one, the only one serious one, and then we'll let you go.
Speaker 27: And that was the day I got trapped in the astrodome. Well that way a minute. That's a stretch. Now, you didn't get trapped. You didn't get trapped if you just decided not to come back.
Speaker 5: Well, they kept trying to score, and the.
Speaker 26: Game won sixteen innings, and I was hotter than a match. I mean, I was not real happy.
Speaker 5: I got to be honest with you. I started back up.
Speaker 26: I know you did, and somebody would score and then the other team would counter, and I kept looking at that board. Now it's at twelve, Now it's the fourteenth. Now it's the sixteenth, and I'm saying, where in the hell is he?
Speaker 2: He never game back again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they wouldn't let me out on the field and look up and say hi.
Speaker 26: I know he wouldn't. He wouldn't call time out, say good wave at me. That would have really lit me up.
Speaker 5: Well, Marty again, thank you, it's been.
Speaker 26: No thank you, Joe, thank you, thank you. It's been the best. I guarantee you. There's been nobody that's worked together in this business that ever derived as much fun out of broadcasting ball clubs games as we have had over the last thirty one years.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's impossible.
Speaker 26: And this is a business where you're working together every day for six months. If you don't like the guy you're working with, this job can be absolutely hell on earth. And thank god two left handers came together in February of nineteen seventy four and we were often running from that point.
Speaker 21: Well, it's been great and I want to wish you the best and certainly been a check. See you later, paps. We'll have more after these words. We thank Marty for sitting here and kind of chatting with us. It's, as we said, been a great thirty one years and personally we're sorry to see it come to an end, but it has and this will be kind of it. I guess a lot of people we want to thank before we leave the air, certainly Montgomery in and the folks out there, the Gregory's for their sponsorship of this show, front Gate Catalog, Outlet Center. We want to thank them, and of course some of the other sponsors have been such a part of our broadcast over those years. Pepsi Cola, Budweiser, the Kroger folks and many others, and certainly want to thank the media who have been so nice to us over the years, even as a player and in the broadcast business. All the players that we've been associated with over these years have been just super and we're talking about a lot of the visitors players also, and certainly to Hid and Say who sit behind us each and every day, you know what a job they have done, as Marty has pointed up, and certainly to Marty who it's been my pal for thirty one years and will continue on certainly in that vein, and hopefully we can match up in a golf game here and there. I'm sure we will, and not i'd let you folks out, you fans, you've been absolutely unbelievable and we appreciate every bit of support you've shown to us into the ball club. It's been a glorious career and I mean that sincerely. And for last Saturday night, what a big night that was for my family. I want to thank you for it. It's been great. And so the last time, this is the old Laft hander running third and heading from home.
Speaker 5: Good afternoon everyone.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. That that gets me every done. I play it every year and I say I'm not going to get choked up this time, and I do, in fact get choked up each time. Man, do I miss him? Let's do this. Let's take a time out and come back. I'd love to hear your thoughts and reflections on the old left Hander. Five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred The Big One. It's Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred wlck hour. The Arnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevallet. We got a hustle, we got to run, We've got stuff to get to. This must be big. Well, the topics big because certainly Joe's legacy big. But the celebrity hotline has been ringing. Let's answer that celebrity hotline. Is this, Bobby Schmid, it is Lance.
Speaker 10: How you doing?
Speaker 14: Brother?
Speaker 2: I am well, give me a thought on the old left hander?
Speaker 14: Joe Nusall, Oh man, I got I got a great story. And it actually Marty. He tells his story whenever he does a sports stag, and I've been to a few of them and brings tear in both our eyes. But it was on Friday, November the ninth, my brothers had bought an auction package to play four some at Kenwood Country Club with Marty and Joe at the spring of and so it got later in the year and they hadn't got a chance to get together because of the red schedule and stuff. So they finally got in on the calendar for Friday, November the ninth, and I'll never forget it. Jerry asked me to play because I knew Marty and Seg and all those guys from doing the Sugar Racer Report and.
Speaker 5: All that stuff.
Speaker 14: But I just remember him saying, hey, you know, will you fill out this force my I go, that'd be great. So we show up and it's a Friday, but it was like thirty five degrees but it was glorious. I mean, a blue sky, there's just it was beautiful day, but it was really kind of cold. And Marty's there and we're talking into parking lot and Joe pulls up and honestly got he gets out and he had had chemo earlier that week. He was starting to get sick, and he had had a chemo treatment earlier in the week, and he just looked really kind of frail. And he gets out of the car and he's got like, you know, like one of those reds windbreakers. It's like as sick as a piece of paper, you know. The first ten thousand people get on. I mean it was like so thin and a golf shirt, short sleeve golf shirt. I'm cold looking at him.
Speaker 18: And I said, Joe, you don't have to do this.
Speaker 14: He goes, no, no, no, you guys pay for this.
Speaker 2: I got to do I.
Speaker 14: Got really seriously, you know, I want to do this with you. So we go out we play, and I mean, lance there's nobody at the golf course. I mean nobody. And it was a Friday because it was kind of chilly out. So we play the whole day. It was so cool. It's Jerry and I and the cart and then Marty and Joe and they're they're rolling through there and we're asking him questions on every hole, like what's your top three plays you've ever called? You know, Joe Oliver down Field. Oh, it was so it was so awesome. So we get through the day and we get to the last hole and I said, hey, man, you know, we got to get a picture of each other. So I got a picture of Marty and Joe and it's on the eighteenth Green It's it's just iconic.
Speaker 5: And that was on Friday afternoons.
Speaker 14: So we go to leave and Marty says to Joe. He goes, hey, left hander, I'm going on the Red's caravan just next week, and as soon as I get back, I'll connect with you. Because he knew he was getting kind of, you know, not really doing great, so he got no problem. So we split up. We so I got I had to go to Florida for a business trip. And the next Thursday, the fifteenth, my brother Jerry calls me and he goes, hey, He goes, can you believe that about Joe? I go, what are you talking about? He goes, you didn't hear? I go, I'm in Florida.
Speaker 5: What are you talking about?
Speaker 14: He goes, Joe just passed away today.
Speaker 4: I go, what.
Speaker 14: So I'm in shock, and I said, oh my god. So I called Marty and he was on the cruise and I cannot even believe this.
Speaker 2: I called him.
Speaker 14: He picked up the phone and I go, Marty, I'm just so sorry. I can't even express my feelings right now about Joe. And I said, I really can't tell you how grateful I am for last week when we were golfing together and he said, I said, I've got that picture of you and you and Joe on the eighteenth green, and he was crying and very emotionally. He goes, oh my god, he goes, can you send that to me? I go absolutely, So we emailed him the picture, and I swear every time I see him, we bring this up. And he had a bunch of those pictures printed off and he was autographing it says the last time eleven nine oh seven Marty Branneman, and it's the picture of him and Shoe.
Speaker 2: Oh good.
Speaker 14: Iconic And he still to this day gets so emotional telling that story. But we were blessed to be with him literally the week before he passed away.
Speaker 2: What a story, man. I'm glad you were listening. I glad you, glad you took the time to share it. Thank you.
Speaker 14: Hey, thanks buddy, take care, I have.
Speaker 2: A great night. Thanks for checking in. Let's let's do this. Let's run this till the top of the hour. If you're on hold, I'm going to get to you. Sterling will be here at nine. He'll take you nine to midnight. The Off the Beaten Path topic is in memory of Joe's final sign off from the broadcast booth. Think of it twenty one years ago, his last broadcast twenty one years ago, and Joe passed away eighteen years ago.
Speaker 5: Think about that.
Speaker 2: But I love hearing stories and I love sharing stories about just the kindness and the connection he made around here over the years. We'll grab Fran and Tony and Jen and Mike and others after we check news. Are now carry sports Dog presented by Kelsey Chevelet, seven hundred WLW her we got a hustle, Let's take care of what we can and then Sterling's in tough of the hour. Let's head to love one. Let's welcome in my guy, Fran, Welcome to sports Dog.
Speaker 28: Thank you Lance, and I'm so glad you're doing this show every year.
Speaker 2: This is this is the best.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 28: I was fortunate enough to remember Joe not only as a broadcaster, even before Marty, so he's probably got forty years as a broadcaster, and I remember him also as a player in the late nineteen fifties. He went away then a few years and came back and had another nice run with the reds Now. I never met Joe, but when I was working. I did work with a couple older guys who happened to be from Middletown.
Speaker 4: They were brothers.
Speaker 28: They were excellent athletes, and if you might know, Hamilton and Middletown had a great rivalry.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so they were.
Speaker 28: They were contemporaries of Joe. They played against him, they watched him all through his career.
Speaker 4: Of course, he was.
Speaker 28: An excellent baseball player, and they would talk about that, but they were so impressed with him as a basketball player. Joe was probably six' two or six. Three you, know he's one hundred and eighty pounds eighty years. Ago that's a big young. Man so he is playing. BASKETBALL i think he was even All state honors his senior year At. Middletown so he's an excellent. Athlete he could do it. ALL i, mean you, know the guy loved to. Golf he And marney on the golf. COURSE i know you love interesting facts or Feat i'm gonna give you one here That joe. Did in nineteen sixty, Four Ken, houston The Houston colt forty, five pitched a no hitter against The reds and The reds one won to. Nothing was a winning pitcher for The reds happened to Be Joe. Knuxall he picked a complete, game five hitch. SHUTOUT i don't know if a feat like that's been, baseball but that's Typical, joe just like a complete.
Speaker 2: Game have you ever heard of?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 28: Yeah, Yeah and one of the things you can probably look this, up BUT i Think joe still holds the team, record The red's career record for most appearances by a left.
Speaker 2: Hander i'm not, sure.
Speaker 28: BUT i think and and he's been you, know he played sixty six was his last appearance for The Red so that record stands almost sixty.
Speaker 5: Years how.
Speaker 28: Bad thank, You, LACE i appreciate.
Speaker 2: IT i love those. Stories, joe thank, you and send my best. Fellows all, RIGHT.
Speaker 28: I will thank you so.
Speaker 5: Much thank, you all.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i love stuff like. That you, Know joe hit fifteen home runs in his. Career fifteen home runs as a batter in his major league career In. Kentucky, Hey, jan welcome to sports. TALK i.
Speaker 29: GUESS i grew up listening To marty And john on the. Radio and the thing THAT i remember was the game THAT i believed The hamilton baseball, team and it's The World, Series Little League World series And joe was down leading the chicken.
Speaker 13: BANDS i can.
Speaker 29: REMEMBER i remember Being deck got My university Of kentucky clothing AND i had my picture taken AND i believe it was With. Kim let me say, this there's no family nicer and all of baseball than The nextell family AND i AND i would just like to give a PICTURES i made for The Miracle league and all that. Business levin In.
Speaker 28: Kentucky levin In.
Speaker 29: Kentucky a few years, ago a friend AND i had went.
Speaker 7: Over we would have went twice once we're IN.
Speaker 29: Covid but then we went again When John kasey brought his all stars down. Here i'll tell you that the place is. Amazing AND i just think that the fact That kim is carrying on jay stream of The Miracle league and something. Else joe will always have a special place in my. Heart a. Family and it's funny, because LIKE i, Said i'm sixty five years old AND i grew up listening to The reds and to, me there's no better combat ever call a game Than martie And. Joe AND i thank you for giving me this. Opportunity And i'd just like to say for anybody that hasn't listened To Joe younger people tried YouTube it and this man, was he, was he, was he Was Cincinnati. Baseball nobody ever said a bad word About. Joe in, fact they never said a bad word About Jim scott And joe always go down his history as one of the, favorite my favorite. Announcers And i'm glad that you give me this TIME i talked to you about, This.
Speaker 2: JANE i am so. GLAD i am so glad you. CALLED i have chills and just hearing the passion you have behind it means so. Much and it was so, eloquent so well, said thank you for sharing your.
Speaker 5: Memories thank.
Speaker 29: You HAVEN'T i seen?
Speaker 2: That thank you you as. Well man Oh man here standing up on my. ARMS i. WAS i was at the Next All Miracle league Fields kelly AND i last week ago. Tonight that's WHY i wasn't on and couldn't do the topic on the. Anniversary but The evening Of hope event that they, had and it's all part of the dream of and they're they're raising funds for The Hope, center which is just is going to be a year round indoor facility and thirty one thousand square feet and it Was joe's dream and the time and the effort and the passion and the love and the sweat and the tears being put into that by the The Joe Nuxs All America League fields and that group is just it's it's. Incredible and to be there a week ago, tonight to be able to share in the message and hear the message that was being delivered by the parents of kids who are are part of The Nuxs All America League, fields it was as powerful an even as as you could possibly. Imagine and we were honored to be, there And jan thank you for sharing those. Thoughts Cole rain we. Go, Hey, tony welcome to seven HUNDRED Wlw.
Speaker 4: Hey thanks for taking my.
Speaker 5: Call man's.
Speaker 18: SURE i grew up In North side And i'll tell you. What every other house WHEN i was growing. Up i'm fifty two years, old and every other house had the ballgame on WHEN i was growing, up and it was like it was what led me home every.
Speaker 10: Night and those guys.
Speaker 18: The other, Day, marty he sang out a little song the other day and it took me.
Speaker 4: BACK i could.
Speaker 2: Smell beans and cornbread.
Speaker 30: Cooking you, know you're walking home and you get so hungry because you smell everybody else's smooth cooking and. Stuff and he sang this little song when he was talking about working With, joe and it, Goes, uh the whole town's.
Speaker 12: Batty Over cincinnati was a. Team was a, team you know. IT i went right back, there, yes the food, cooking AND i was playing wiffleball out in front of my of my neighbors'.
Speaker 18: Houses he he would.
Speaker 30: Call the games like he Was marty Or. Joe he would call him and we play. Whiffleball and it just took me. Back and SO i Know joe's up there and he's watching. Down he's seen how it all ended this. Year but it was such a Great steezon with the ups and. Downs JUST i think we're fined for next. Year mac, McClain, PLEASE i HOPE i don't have no haters on me because of.
Speaker 5: This but starting, Immediately.
Speaker 2: TONY i really appreciate you sharing those. MEMORIES i was going back as you were telling the. STORIES i feel, IT i hear, it And i'm so glad you called in. Tonight thank, You you're. Welcome all, right have a good, Night let's take a. TIME i come. Back i'm gonna get everybody who's on, hold and we'll we'll wrap this up twenty. One you think about twenty one years, ago Last friday, night his final broadcast and sign, off and there are and by the, WAY i WILL i have it posted right. Now if you want to listen to that, AGAIN i have that postgame at seven HUNDRED wlw dot. Com just look for the podcast, section or if you're on The iHeartRadio, app just type in my name and it'll pull it. Up and the audio that you heard or if you missed it Of joe's final postgame and the sign off that is there to listen anytime you like again seven HUNDRED wlw dot com and through The iHeartRadio. App IT'S Rnail Carrier Sports talk presented By Kelsey, chevrolet seven HUNDRED. Wlup heading down the Stretch news in ten, minutes ten, Minutes, Sterling i've confirmed his presence in the. Building he'll be on at. Nine he's got you nine to. Midnight checking in by. Text austin Elmore, in reporting in From, Appleton, wisconsin about thirty minutes outside Of Green, bay said we're coming in loud and clear on his car Radio, Appleton. HELLO i was In appleton for following The South Bend White. Sox this would have been let's see eighty eight to probably ninety nineteen NINETY i was following the Minor League South Bend White, sox playing The Appleton somebody's in A Midwest league playoff series and doing live shots from that series as. Well it's the only Time i've been In. Appleton we were In Lake geneva last year From Big age and that's a cool. Place let's go back to the phones and round it out in ooh, oh my stomping. Grounds double shot, There mike And. Independence welcome to seven HUNDRED. Wlw, mike are you? There mike is maybe not? There all, right let me, go let me stay in. Events, jim you're on seven HUNDRED. Wlw welcome to the. Show, hi good talking to. You what's on your?
Speaker 6: Mind SO i have a much lighter story About joe and a Picture i'm certain is one of a kind Of. Joe SO i had the OPPORTUNITY i went on To Fantasy Camp Red Fantasy camp in two thousand And joe was one of the coaches for.
Speaker 5: One of the.
Speaker 6: Teams but so as you, KNOW i know you've been on one or, two maybe after a kangaroo. Court every, evening guys tend to huddle around different pros and listen to stories and. Such so there was about five or six of us that we're sitting Around joe and we're just sitting in chairs there and just listened to one. Story they got pretty, late the beverages were flowing pretty, good and one of the guys literally was sitting in a chair and fell. Asleep And i'm, thinking how in the world we're sitting around their knocksall how can you? EVEN i was on pins and needles the entire night listen To. Joe so somebody had the, idea, hey let's get a picture of all of.
Speaker 4: This mooney, No.
Speaker 7: So joe was all.
Speaker 5: Win so we all.
Speaker 6: Huddle around this guy sleeping in the. Chair everybody dropped trout and somebody got a. Picture and to this, DAY i have a picture Of Joe's oh.
Speaker 2: My, goodness oh my. Goodness.
Speaker 6: Oh and as you, know those, guys those pros are just like normal, guys and it wants to get to know.
Speaker 4: Him it's just and he just had a.
Speaker 6: Ball And i'll tell you, What that's a MEMORY i will take with me.
Speaker 2: Forever what a, Story, jim thank you for sharing it. Today sure. Thing all, right now that's a. Story all, right let me get one, more one more final. Word what a treat this Is dick And. Dayton welcome To Sports.
Speaker 10: Talk Hey, la how you, doing?
Speaker 18: BUDDY i am.
Speaker 2: Well do you have a memory Of Joe? Knutsall?
Speaker 20: Yes, UH i had my dad at the base and every every you, know and The reds were one he always, had, Uh marty And joe on AND i can REMEMBER i had talked To marty a couple of. Times oh it was on sports. Feedback BUT i Remember dad AND i used to be in the garage and my MEMORY i would sit out there with the chair and listened to Him. Joe and how good was? That oh my, Goodness, yeah it was so. COOL i mean he deserved it and. Everything AND i dismissed my dad because he always had the radio and he was mechanically of, course you, Know i'm in, music BUT i just think it was you, KNOW i loved. It he was the, better you, know the one was the, best no, doubt no.
Speaker 5: Doubt.
Speaker 2: Dick thank you for sharing your. Memories have a great. Weekend, okay all, right thank. You let's before we get out of. Here let's track the machine and figure out what happened on this date in sports. History first tracking The machine and honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the nineteen seventy Five Big Red, machine we do a daily status check on where that team stood at this. Point it is presented by my guys At brandstetters Kangaroof your home is where life, happens meals memories and moments that. Matter At, Kangaroof they're built on, faith family and. Excellence From roof's deciding windows To gutters kangaroof has you covered fifty years? Ago right? Now we were on the, verge The reds were In. Boston it was the eve Of game one of the nineteen seventy Five World, series AND i got to tell, you nine year old me was all kinds of fired up because it was the first TIME i was alive in seventy was, FOUR i was alive in seventy, two don't really, recall but that seventy five team my. Team and when you're nine years old and your team's about to play in The World, Series holy COL i, MEAN i didn't sleep fifty years ago tonight they would play On saturday afternoon at one. O'clock it was drizzling that day For game one At. Fenway The reds entered that series at one oh eight and fifty, four one hundred and eight wins and fifty four. Losses The Red sox entered at ninety five and sixty. Five the game one starters in that Series Don gellet fifteen and four in the season with a two forty two earned run. Average Louis tiant won eighteen games that. Year get this tiont pitched two hundred and sixty innings that, year and Fran And leveland mentioned complete. Games Louis tiant in nineteen seventy five had eighteen complete games for The Red. Sox do you know HOW i looked it? Up you know how many complete games there were in all Of Major League baseball this? Year twenty nine in all of. Baseball so we were on the eve of the nineteen seventy Five World, series arguably the Greatest World series ever to be. Played The reds were in The World series for the third time in six, years and the pressure was. Building they had made it in seventy and lost to The, orioles made it in seventy, two lost to The a's And man this series At Red sox were in the series for the first time since sixty seven when they lost in seven to The Saint Louis. Cardinals we were on the eve that is tracking the machine presented by kangaroof now also Doing windows by Two windows get two, free same trusted, team now with more ways to protect your home schedule a free estimate called five to, one three, seven, three, four nine. Thousand visit gokanga dot. Net all, right let me see if there's any other notes Of cincinnati sports on this. Date oh, YES i mentioned the Seventy World series on this. Date in seventy The reds Loss game one of That World series to The. Orioles before fifty three thousand and thirty one At, riverfront controversy came in the sixth Inning orioles CATCHER L Rod hendricks the phantom tag Of Bernie carbo to home. Plate the home plate Umpire Ken, burkhart not Expecting carbo to try to, score had his back, turned almost Blocking carbo off the. Plate he never saw the. Play hendricks Tagged carbo with his, glove but the ball was in his bare, hand and Yet burkhart called him. Out at the. Plate no replay obviously in those. Days this date in nineteen seventy, three the fifth and deciding, game The mets win The National League, pennant beating The reds seven to. Two nineteen eighty, three on this, DATE i know exactly WHERE i. WAS i was At Riverfront stadium For Monday night Football Bengals steelers. Controversy vicious play By steeler rookie defensive End Keith gary On Ken. Anderson gary Grabbed Ken anderson face, mask yanked his head around in like an exorcist like, moment almost broke his. Neck gary was, penalized later, fined never were. Suspended kenny watched the rest of the game from Christ hospital with the next brain missed the next three. Games The bengals lost the game twenty four to. Fourteen in the third, Quarter gary was flagged for a penalty for a late hit On Turk, schoener who was the backup into the game at that. Point and one more nineteen ninety. Five by the, way the photo the photo Of Keith gary turning the helmet and the neck around of Can it's one of the scariest things and most incredible things you'll ever see in nineteen ninety. Five on this, Date reds Lose game one of THE nlcs to The braves two to one and eleven innings before a crowd of just forty three hundred and eighty. Two the low attendance number became a national story and was blamed on the lingering resentment from the strike and the cancelation of the previous season and the wipeout of The World series in nineteen ninety. Four all of that happening this date And cincinnati sports. History All, RIGHT i gotta get out of. Here thanks To Drew, Western, heidi thanks To liam who checked in late in the show as. Well Stick, Around sterling is. In he's gonna have you nine to. Midnight, man this was fun. TONIGHT i loved getting back to three, hours love doing A friday, night loved doing the off the beaten path. Topic let's Gather monday For bengals. Line i'll be With lap from six to. Nine here comes your news and Then. Sterling this has Been Rnel Carrier Sports talk presented By Kelsey chevrolet seven HUNDRED ww