Speaker 1: Still want to be an American. You've got for them till seven hundred ww. Here we go in this Monday morning, a little bit better, a little wind at our back, because the Reds take two of three in Boston. How do you like that?
Speaker 2: I say?
Speaker 1: In Boston against Boston is what I meant to say. Home game that continues to night against the Pirates. Reds keep on rolling. They're looking pretty good, looking pretty good. Also happening in Cincinnati. Of course, you may remember this history always repeats itself. We may have Mahogany's two point zero at our hands right now. There is, in this time of very very delicate budgets, the city trying to save some money. The city is underwater somewhat too, and they're asking for budget cuts. At the same time, the City of Cincinnati is handing out money to people who in I guess private's a private sector. You go to get a loan and you can't back up your claims and you don't have any collateral. You got problems. But the City of Cincinnati, it's your money. We're just going to hand it out on this It's a very interesting story. Is council Member Mark Jefferys Mark welcome. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I'm doing before we began, of course, we had and I have a chance to talk to you. But what happened Thursday at the at the banks relative to the outbreak of crime there too, and some said it's a riot, but it was a bunch of individuals out there just wreaking havoc, shutting things down. They closed the banks, early crime, crime and more crime. I know the Teresa Thiji report is due out any minute now, and there was a prempt to strike by her attorneys to say, well, it's gonna be a bunch of bs and it's gonna be a lot of noise. But there's nothing there, any word on when that report's coming out.
Speaker 2: By the way, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know on the report what I would say about Thursday. I mean, honestly, it was disgraceful. I was down for the parade as usual, an amazing day. Parade was great, everyone was good. Opening day. The game itself wasn't too great, but we did recover.
Speaker 2: It's all right.
Speaker 3: But look, I mean, you know, I use the word hooligan. Some people attack me online, but you know, I mean, it's so different than the hooligans to disrupt soccer matches in Europe. I mean people who disrupt the perfectly peaceful day, beautiful day, and you know, I mean, we can't have this in our city. So you know, we got to I'm grateful that you know. It looks like some of the folks are going to have, you know, higher bond, which I think is appropriate because you know, we need to send a message. Is the same reason why next week will be taking up my motion to impound cars for up to six months on street takeovers. We have to send a message to people that you know, this is not behavior that is acceptable in our city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to get you back on to the street takeovers thing because Northern Kentucky is doing something there where they seize your curR and crush it. I don't know if you want to go that far constitutionally speaking, but we'll circle back on it. But it's part of pressure for a bigger issue. I guess the biggest issue I have is people who are clapping back at you because use or hooligans. That's a pretty kind term considering what they were doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean anyone who's disrupt like that, It is a bunch of hooligans and look, I mean, uh, you know there were three parts of it, right. There were the kids at Washington Park making each other, there were people on Bye Street. You can't block an entire street, it's just inappropriate. And then down at the Bank it's the same thing. So part of it, Scott does come back to, you know, we need to make sure that people in their neighborhoods, you know, I mean that part of the attraction is people want to come downtown because it's fun and they want to hang out over the right things to do. We need to make sure that people in their neighborhoods have things to do. You know, this Friday, for example, were getting doing a groundbreaking first Gate park. All right, make sure kids and people have things to do in their neighborhood rec centers, libraries, other activities. So, you know, and especially in opening day. I think next year we got to look at that. It's like, hey, what kind of events attraction can we make for kids and other folks you know, to hang out in their neighborhood enjoy the day rather than you know, everybody gathering down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and it's a problem too that looks like it's going to get worse. I mean, that was a sample of warm weather. We're gonna have a stretch of that before you know. It's starting well this week as a matter of fact, in the next and you just wonder if all Hull's going to break loose to some degree because of all this pent up. I want to get outside, but it also brings out some hooligans, as you said, and other people. I'm going to bring that up because right now as we speak, I mentioned the Teresa Thigi controversy, and that report is coming out. Hitter in Chief Henny is going to testify before Budget and Finance because you're working on that right now, and across the board, departments are told to cut five point one percent. So a five point one percent budget reduction for police equals about eleven million dollars. And the only way to cut that, because ninety percent of the budget is personnel, the only way of cutting the five point one percent is to layoff cops. Can we really afford to lay police officers off from this environment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that ain't happening. I mean I think look, I mean the city manager rightfully, at every department, if you had to cut five point one percent, what would that look out like which trikes. I think is a good exercise to do. I mean I did it all the time at PNG. Most private companies do it. Hey, what would what would happen if you had to cut five percent? And then you go through the exercise and maybe there are efficiencies you can do. You can automate different things, you can be a little more efficient. Good exercise to do. Are we going to cut police officers?
Speaker 2: Should? We know?
Speaker 3: We're going to do the opposite. I have my budget priorities, and I think my colleagues would agree. We have to continue to invest in new recruit classes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that has increased the size of the force. We need to continue to invest in recruit classes. So that's just not going to happen. I think it's a good exercise for every department to go through the you know, where are their efficiencies?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, and then you know, we need to push ourselves on, hey how can we operate more efficiency? I know the police, you know are doing that even with how they leverage groans for example. Uh, you know, there's still a lot of ways that they can be more efficient. You know, going I think through technology, you automating, you know, some of the reporting, which I think they would love to do. Sure, you know, so I think it's a good exercise to go through. But no, we're not going to and nor should we see we should be doing the opposite, and we will be doing the opposite. Is adding more officers to the force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So here's where this comes in. There's a you know, as members of councils said, hey, you know there's a lack of sit down restaurants in the West End. We need to sit down runt. So residents there have been trying to renovate a space on lind Street to fill that need. You guys a council approved four hundred and fifty five thousand over the last three years to fund that. But the problem is this the property owner. So this is a lease. They terminated the West End Sports Bar and Grills year long lease at the property. They said they haven't paid any rent. They're back like thirty seven thousand dollars. The landlord changed the locks. The owner, Nick Johnson, I believe it's a man's name, said you can only go in there to retrieve his personal property. And and so what happened was we had this money, we had four hundred and fifty five thousand dollars. It's been invested by the city, but didn't check to see that he was locked out of his place and he was behind, and other members of council stuff and said, well, this is for reparations for I seventy five ripping apart the neighbor and I'm not quite sure you picked one individual. This is looking like Mahogany's all over again in that in twenty twelve the city voted on council. I know you're around that, but six hundred and eighty four thousand dollars for Mahoganies at the banks and three hundred thousand loans for furnitures, fixtures, equipment, all that stuff, nearly a million dollars in financing for Liz Rogers. And from day one, it turns out Liz Rogers had multiple leans against her. She fell behind on her loan payments rather quickly, and the city got I think didn't even get the one hundred thousand dollars back of the near million, because it was a very bad deal from the get go, and they just kept throwing money. Council then and the city manager, Harry Black, just kept throwing money like it was a bottomless pit out of some sort of guilt trip to say we have to lift this particular African American woman up and essentially give her money in order to open this business. Well that's all well and good, but again, you got to have a tracker of the success before you scale that up into something as prominent as one of the early buildings on the banks. How is this any different than what we're talking about today with this place on Lend Street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I'd take a couple of thanks.
Speaker 2: Got first.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a disaster there. There has been about sixty thousand that has been spent no more, and the question is how can we claw that back? When this came up, I offered an amendment emotion to set in a mechanism to claw back any of this money and make sure that you know, hey, we can take back control of you know, whatever that investment is that didn't pass. It wasn't even seconded, you know, So what we have to figure out how do we get that six thousand. I think the bigger question is, you know, the status quo wesen any of working right, there's poverty, lack of opportunity, lack of a safe place for people to gather, just like we were talking about what we want to create. What I'm trying to do on like youth football fields and dire parks in uh, in the in the West End is to create places for kids to go play, places for people to gather, and we do need places for families together. The question is how can we accomplish that? You know, and you know I've hacked conversations with several private sector companies including you know, you know folks who invested have invested in the West End. How can they help out to create a place uh, you know for people to sit down and families to sit down and gether So I think the objective is right. I think clearly you know the execution and the way that it went went about, and the city has to figure out how we get fact up sixty six thousand dollars and uh and not let the history repeat itself.
Speaker 1: Well, what are you talking about like a playground or something a park?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: When you said just place for families to sit down and gather? Are you talking commercial what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: So there's there are several parts. So if you think of the West End, there's a library. Now there's a rec center. There are plans for a romac like an art art center, community center, which is great. Uh separately, yeah, I mean there there should be, And the question is how can you get there a place for people to sit down and have a burger and you know have to have a coach if you will. How you get there is the question. You know clearly, Uh you know this was not and is not the right plan.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, how can you incent private sector folks to help out those who've invested in the West End? I mean there's a couple of blocks from Sam Adams, a few blocks and sites Cincinnati. Uh, you know, so how can you leverage that to create a state where people can walk over and sit down and have a burger and relax with their family. And as a result, you know, families are hanging out in their neighborhoods and they're not going downtown, and kids are not going downtown. They're hanging out. And whether it's a skate park, a football field, the community center, some place where there's also state where they can also get mentored and they can have some opportunity to get out of the current situation. Because the current situation in the West End, it ain't working.
Speaker 1: But if you look at it though, you say, okay, we need a place to gather. If you go from Ezu Charles all the way up to Liberty which is several city blocks, and then between Land and where where Tiquol Stadium is, you have Laurel Playground, you got the Laurel Rec creer. You've got plenty of green space there. Don't we already have that?
Speaker 3: Oh green space?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I do think I am working, as you know on a dedicated youth football field dire Park which is in the west end, right, so you do have some green spaces. You do have a rec center and you will we will soon have you know, like an art center for kids to come and sit down. You are and you know, I mean stay out of you know, have some productive use but having to play some families together and you know have a burger great. How we get there is the question, you know, and how can we have private sector folks and the right investor you know, stepped in and and you know and help make that that's possible. That's the question going forward.
Speaker 1: He is accountsmember, Mark Jeffreys and the Scontsland Show seven hundred. Wow, there's a sports bar of the West End that's never gonna get off the ground. City threw some money at it. It's like Mahogany's all over again, on a smaller scale, but still, I think if you're a taxpayer, you hear this and go, okay, let me let me get this straight. And here's what people are here. They're going, we've got this crime going on right now. You're going to have budget meetings and you're told the departments prepare what would it look like if you cut five point one percent, give yourself a five percent haircut across the top. Chief Adam Henny is going to present to you. Guys, you said it's not going to happen. We just this is part of the process here. As we ask the departments to do that. It doesn't really mean we're going to But people hear that and go wow, they're going to lose eleven million dollars at a time where violence is on the way up, crime is on the way up, and not all over the place, but in many areas, especially the high profile ones. A top of that, we just ate eight million dollars riverbend two point zero. And of course we know the symphony has tons of cash. But we're going to give them money anyway. In the meantime, we're going to give business to someone who is in default, already already been locked out. We're giving him money for a place that's shuttered because he didn't pay his rent. We didn't bother the check that before we wrote the check. How do you think that's playing with your average voter or your average citizen in Cincinnati, Mark, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, look, first of all, the reason that there's a reason why I voted against the eight million for the Music Center is because I don't think that we should be investing and things like that. And eight million is a lot when you have a budget deficit of thirty million. And I think rightfully to the other reason why I'm also non in favor of an increase in the earning tect. We have to live within our meets, and I've been the one outspoken voice on that, and you know, I mean, look, I think we need to make sure that we are smart about our investments. I do think the objective is right in the West End, which is, how can we make sure that folks do have safe spaces to go when you have two kids who are shot at playgrounds. You know, if I'm a pair in the West End, I'm like, oh, I don't really want my kid to hang out on a playground, which is why we're pushing four things like cameras, things like lights, lighting, and playgrounds, you know, and so the objective of yet having a place for people together. I think how we get there is the question. And how can we have private sector come in and help out to create a place for people to have a burger and a beer and a coke, you know, with their family enough, you know, on an evening.
Speaker 1: All right, All well, I'm good because I like nice spices to go. But you know, I look at what's happening in Cincinnat. We have shootings at playgrounds for crying out a lot. I mentioned Laurel Playground and the rec center, their Queen's gates fairly close to they at a rec center, A lot of green space in that area in the West End. And yet okay, we'll play a place where see people can sit down, have a burger to coke. All right, I'm down, But what makes us think that the violence isn't just gonna end up there? I mean, we had a shitting at we had a shooting on Fountain Square at City Bird, people firing through the glass at each other right there on Fountain Square. They're gonna do that on Fountain Square, and they're gonna do that in the West End.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, look, I mean this is a bigger problem if you well know Scott, right. I mean, when somebody shoots someone and a police officer of the incident you mentioned in Fountain Square was literally twenty feet away. We need officers. We need more officers than we will recruit more, but we can't. And police will be the first person say that police our way out of it. Because when somebody shoots somebody twenty feet away, it's a tigger. So we have to create and it starts with kids. But to create opportunities, job opportunities, you know, making sure that folks are getting, you know, into the trades. You know, we're building things like the Brenstone Fridge Western Hills Viaduct, and we get people trained as iron workers and laborers and plumbers. And that is the only way you know, to give people opportunity and uh, you know, and get out of the poverty that we see in the West End through education and job opportunities and showing kids that you know, people adults can be responsible. You know, I want kids in the West End seeing people, you know, uh, go to the bus stop with the bus driver or the security guard and they're responsible. They're getting on the bus and they're coming home in the afternoon and they're taking care of the family. That's the kind of that's the only way out. We're not going to be able to police our way out of it, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And but we also do need police. We need both, yes, and so that's the only folution to go forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned the earnings tack and earning sacks and this is part of it. And saying hey, we cut five percent, we do the earnings tax, but again giving money to riverbend, money to people already in default. Uh that that really if you that's really going to hurt that vote is for NERD. I'm not debating whether or not to raise the earnings tax, but boy, that's gonna be a hard He'll de climb for you guys based on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's a reason why. I mean I said this before the last campaign, and I haven't changed my position. You know, you eat your carrots before you eat your dessert. There are plenty of efficiencies and things, and I am laying them out in my budget parity motion. I've got a lot of efficiencies and opportunities. You start there before you ask, you know. I mean, it's the same thing with kids. You know, you don't give them a stake increase in their allowance if they're not doing their tour correct.
Speaker 1: So you got That's where I want the City Cincinnati to be my parents. You seem kind of like generous about that, kind of lax about that, if you will.
Speaker 3: I'm not lax about it, my friend.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm talking about in general. It's like it's like, I know, you guys are like the cool parents. You're buying my weed for me. I know you're fighting against this mark. That's why you on the show, and I appreciate that because five percent is not going to happen with the police department. But also just be more responsible and running it like a business in some reguards instead of just handing money out Willy Nilly probably would go a long way. I know that you're in the heat of budget meetings right now. Chief Heny's going to testify and give his proposal, and I'll take your word for it that the city will now touch a dime of police money because we really can't afford it, and I think they'd be the dumbest thing to do. And I'm sure there's a couple of members of council that will vote for it. But again, it sounds like a winner to me. Mark Jeffers, appreciate the time as always, Buddy, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank ye.
Speaker 1: You got money for River Bend. You're wanting eleven million dollar haircut for the police. Crime and violent crime at that is starting to pick up quite a bit from the cold summer, because the cold winter months before we're heading the summer here. And on top of that, you're going, well, maybe an earnings tax for the people that work still work down town. Okay, great, we got money. We need more money coming in because they're thirty million dollars upside down. But meanwhile, we're gonna hand out money to Riverbend. We're gonna hand up money to a bar who has absolutely wouldn't pass like the first test if you went to a bank and asked for that kind of money. You know, I get the city is there to and some cash ou to help people out by I get it, But you have to show that you'll be a good steward of that money, and clearly we forget that lesson went it's public dollars. Scott's loan show seven hundred W. All right, here we go back at it Monday morning. Grind is on here on seven hundred W. LW helps with the Reds performed very well this weekend. Jeff Card eleven thirty five on that with lockdown Reds taking two or three from the Socks to open up the year. Rhet Lauder looked pretty damn good yesterday. Au Haenio Suarez hitting that three run homer and the Reds get it done, especially after the Dane Meyers walk off single on Saturday. So we're looking good as Pittsburgh comes to down five forty inside pitch preempted and added rock just a little bit, and you'll hear here on the Home of the Red seven hundred W. It fired up for some nice baseball weather. It looks like today is going to cooperate. I think I think we got a day game on Wednesday, so we shall see weather wise, But it looks like you're not of like the rain's gonna hold off to the afternoon. So if you're going to do that first business Person's special. We might be okay, we might be okay. So I just had to Mark jeffries On council member talking about mahoganies all over again. If you go back a decade in a decade is a universal way, let's face it, especially the way things move today. Used to be Hey, you know a couple of weeks ago, and now we kind of live for today and be damned tomorrow because we just want to get through today. It's just how it is. But history is a great indicator future behavior. I just understand if you're squeezed by thirty million dollars while you're handing money out to individuals who clearly aren't responsible enough or a good bet to pay it back. I mean, it seems like a pretty low bar to cross. Say hey, are you solvent? Do you have some assets? Are you are you making your mortgage payments? Didn't do that in the case of this West End bar And it's this all over again. But it's taxpayer money. It runs on a motion and not fact. And there you go. Because if you're you know, if you say, look, you've got to show me your assets, show me your liabilities. Show me a business plan, come up with a white paper, give me something here, give me a track record of success, show me something. And if you can't do that, then you're not on top of the money. And let's not confuse fact with emotion. And I would say race is an emotion in this one, that somehow this individual was owed a bar because of what happened when hell, back in the fifties, when we started blowing up road towns to some degree, like downtown Cincinnati, to put ice seventy five through it, which of course just reak tavoc on the black community. And there's no question about it. However, I would say that how does that entitle someone who shouldn't be given essentially money, that that loan to having a loan real it is more of a grant because he can't pay it back. I mean, that's just like that's like, say, well, the defense's racism is what it is. How dare you question this because it's racism. No, it's not. It's it's being a good steward of tax payer dollars, especially when you're asking workers in Cincinnati to consider an increase in their taxes. You know, we're talking about an earnings tax coming up here, How are we going to write the ship? How are we going to pay for all this? We're asking departments to cut five percent, including police. Now, Jeffrey said that wouldn't happen, But again that's one voice of many uncountable. See, I'm willing to believe he's right on that one, that there's not the specially the optics of that are terrible considering the high profile crimes opening day, notwithstanding that have been going on in the winter and now the summer's about here in Holy Cow. Hopefully that's not an indicator what's going to happen. But I suppose if you're downtown, you work downtown, you live downtown, you're like me, you like going downtown. I enjoy being downtown. But is this going to have a chilling effect that already has. It doesn't look good when you're handing out money to riverbend, when you're asking for a earnings tax increase, when you're asking police to take a haircut to go I'm going to give this guy on secured loan. Basically, it's like, how hard is it you mean to tell me that? I guess the defense here as well, it's you know we have to lift up black folks. Okay, I'm fine for helping people long, lift people up who have been compromised and marginalized. I get it, But are they a good risk? You mean to tell me that's insulting because you mean to tell me you can't find another minority interest that has a better business plan, that is more solvent, and someone has it more together than this guy, Like why that's racism itself? Like, well, this is the best representative. No it's not. There's plenty of minority entrepreneurs, black, female or otherwise that probably would be that most definitely would be. I should say a better investment, and I know one of them personally, and you're not hearing about it because it was a good investment. But we got to do better. You got to do better. The optics on this are terrible. Tell you what else is terrible? Back to sports here, Tiger Woods arrested Friday and Florida suspicion of dui. It wasn't alcohol because he blew a triple zero, which is good, but refuse a year in test which triggered the dv DUI charge over I charge driving a land Rover on Jupiter Island. He overtook a pressure cleaning truck at high speed, hit the trailer and rolled over the car. Second time he's rolled a car over. Of course, remember back before the Genesis open in twenty twenty one in La Or he rolled that vehicle. So his second DUI arrest and third notable car incident since two thousand and nine, So he has quite a few of these things. I've been driving for a long time. I love it answer to this question, how do you roll a car over? I mean, he's pretty good at flipping cars. I've ever long time, never got to the point where and maybe driving a little fat enjoy to drive fast.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's because it's an SUV that they're more prone to roll over? But man, my god, he's on a residential street. It looks like it's just like a regular twenty five mile in our neighborhood. And so he decides he's going to fly around a cleaning vehicle, hits the trailer, and it causes the car to roll over. I mean, that's incredible, it really really is. Which is more of the olm my god this again. But you know, if you had to guess Tiger Woods is dealing with chronic pain from the rollover accident he had last time, and he's had what seven back surgeries, countless other surgeries because of the violent way he hits a golf ball or had hit a golf ball. He had that most recent one where he rolled over the genesis a duy where his legs are so badly injured. They were talking, Remember they're talking amputation. He might lose a leg or legs as the case may be. Now, Fortunately he got back to golf, never going to be his former self. It's just too damn hard, you know, having some surgeries like that, certainly not the level Tigers had, but hell foot surgery, backfusion, shoulder, Yeah, you just to try and get back what you had is damn near impossible. I will say it is impossible because you get older and then add ads and there's rehab and your just bodies just not the same anymore. And so I'm guessing, you know, he's dealing with chronic pain from his whole career for what he did for a living for so many years. And this is a guy who's in desperate need, in my opinion, of some rehab. But you wonder if he's gonna wind up getting that. I mean, you think of athletes like hul Cogan comes to mind. His body was so screwed up from wrestling that he was popping pain meds like there were altoids from back in the day, just to just to be able to survive, just be able to move. And so guys like this, high level athletes like that, push themselves over and over and over again to win. And what happens is eventually, like all of us, your body betrays you. You think at this point he's got to be considering retirement. It's like I got to get out of the spotlight for a while. He has TGL going, which is great. He's got a lot of business interest he's trying to is obviously not going to beat the Masters this year, and that's that's all part of who Tiger was is I get it. I get the There may be some depression elements in there, and he may be dependent on medication. It certainly looks that way after the third OVI. But the other element is, here's a guy who's rich enough to be able to have a full time driver with his z own You can afford your own driver, you can you presumably have security and other things. Why not have a driver. And for someone who has as much money as Tiger Woods, that's pretty easy. I would say that if you look at well, for example, athletes like Bengals players for example, you know you're speed up and down the street and causing you know, you essentially are an outlaw because you're busted for speeding and having street races and stuff like that. We've also seen others like pac Man get in trouble. Why why are you driving yourself? You've got money, you could be able to afford a driver, Lacky somebody like that. And I bring this up because I go, what are the odds that Tiger Woods has more ov eyes than John Daily? I mean to look at John Daily. That guy's an unmitigated disaster when he was Tiger's age. He's a little bit older now, but nonetheless John Daily, I don't think he's ever really had those kind of problems like Tiger Woods has. And that's a guy who was drinking on the golf court. He pie's firing a beer shotgun and a beer between holes, firing down snickers, dyed cokes and smokes. I thought, well, John Daily, there's a guy who's gonna get never as far as I know, i'd have to go look that up. I don't think he's ever been popped before, certainly now to the high profile rollover like that. But here's Tiger Woods, who's pretty straight laced. He's a work ethic is second to none. He gets early, he gets there early, stays late. The goat, Tiger Woods is still the goat. You hate to see that legacy diminished because of things like this, and it looks like that's happening. But one may ask you, like, why don't you just get a lack. You're a driver, something along those lines to take you from point A to point B. I guess there's a certain thrill of driving the car he's got, always like a range Rover SUV. I'm sure he's Tiger Woods can to afford any car he wants, into the Sun Vintage or otherwise he should be set. I think there's probably some fun to driving your own car, driving yourself roll them up in a nice rig like that. But damn, at the end of the day, if you are if you're abusing painkillers or using painkillers, says right in the bottle opiates, don't don't use this in drive. Okay, it says right there, there's there's a certain liability on Tiger's part. But you just watch a icon like Tiger Woods on wine and he was getting it back too, because you know the TGL thing, a bunch of other things kind of forgot about what happened in California a few years ago, and this comes back again. You just wonder if now more it happens it's a second high profile accident like this in a few years, that what happens to Tiger Woods the brand at this point, it does tarnish that whole thing, and he's got to worry about his legacy and this is starting to overshadow that legacy. I didn't think he'd ever say that about Tiger Woods, who dominated the sports for so many years. But good lore, Ben, get yourself in a program, get some help. We'll talk more on this at ten thirty five. Julie hattershares our licensed mental health expert, mental health money in the Scott's Loan Show. Yeah, this story and then that this is a depressing story. The uplifting story is a guy like Gary Woodland, who just won the Huge this Weekend one in Houston, as a guy who had brain surgery what three years ago and had serious PTSD. He's able to overcome all that and win a tournament this weekend. Pretty big, Pretty big. I'll get a time out in and more to follow. News on the way in about ten. Laura Kartch is here. She's a Middle Eastern expert. We'll talk about Iran with the latest is we've got ten thousand more troops there, so about fifty thousand not what the people want. How much longer are we going to do this? Because the economy is starting to shake and shimmy a little bit, and of course we don't know where the endgame is and this one maybe she does. We'll talk about that, what the next steps are for this week. Just to add Scott's loan show seven hundred w WELW. News come up in about four minutes here seven hundred w WELW. We'll get into I ran the very latest. It's affecting markets. The oil surge is real. We're getting four dollars a gallon gasoline right now, and that's what it is here in Cincinnati, about four bucks a gallon. Good luck you get a little cheaper. How much more pain are we going to suffer? At the pump, and this all plays what's happening in the Strait of Hormuz and Iran and whether that we can wrap this thing up and sit down. Have some negotiations in Pakistan with the Iranians, but they say that's not happening. Trump says it is. The Pakistani say it is. So we'll see what occurs. But Laura Kirsch is on at ten oh seven on this and the very latest. As we get more troops involved, which is nothing, I think very very few people want that to be. Go one honest with you, that seems like a breaking point. We'll find out. Conservatives have Kid Rock and John Void, Liberals have Bruce Springsteen and Jane Fonda. You're guaranteed, and if it's a big rally, if something BIG's going on that is all about the brand, and that's what it is, a brand, then you're going to have either of those two showing up. So they did another No King's Rally. Because the first ones are so successful in getting stuff to change the way they want them to change, why not do it again. So sure they did, and tens of thousands of people showed up all over, including here in Cincinnati. I'm not quite sure what it gets you. I think it's a bunch of just degrieved people from with different grievances. But that's what we see. Protests have evolved today in a one cause it's many. Everyone who's got a gripe and an acts to grind is going to be out there with a sign. And in Minnesota this weekend they had about two hundred thousand people at estimate, who were protesting against this administration or whatever it is. They're protesting against all all the things everything. Some ess I'm gonna say one hundred and so, others ay two regardless, is a pretty big crowd. But the headliners were Jane Fonda and Bruce Springsteen. And I'm shocked to learn that Bruce Springsteen does not like Republicans. I'm absolutely shocked. How hard does it get Bruce Springsteen to come out for something like this? Yeah, I guess Green Day probably another but and maybe that I was politically active, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For me, I know some people like I would never listen boycott broke, okay, boycott all you want. Like if Springsteen was coming Cincinnati, I'd buy a ticket. I just I don't think he'd espoused I was sung once before here, and he wasn't too political about it. I can't remember who's in office at the time, but I do not want to pay a ticket and then hear thirty minutes of the bitch about you know things that you think you can change, that you're smarter than the rest of us, just shut up and play the heads. But yeah, and whether it's that or I don't know. I like Kid Rocks music too, for that mattered as well. I have a couple of his albums downloaded. Phenomenal writer, but same thing. It's like, i'd go see Kid Rock. I'd see him. I don't really care where your politics are, just hoping you don't mention too much about it. We'll all get along nice. I mean, I guess if Jane Fonder John Voyd made a movie worth watching, i'd probably watch that as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like to be entertained. Are you not entertained? I don't know if i'd show up at a No King's rally to hear him though, that's a whole different thing. It's gonna be all politically that wite, No thanks. I can consume the product but disagree with the politics. I'm cool like that. We'll do news and more to follow here. It's the Scott's Loan Show, Monday Morning, Back at It, seven hundred WWT, Cincinnati, an American all right, Monday Morning, Back at It flowby seven hundred ww So. A month into the war with Iran, we've got oil over one hundred bucks a barrel. US troops are taking fire in Saudi Arabia, We're putting more on the ground. Secretary of Rubias as nobody in Washington you're sure is even in charge in Tehran, and we've got a Middle East policy experts, tell us what's really happening, what the play is here. Laura Karts is a Fox News contributor, among other things, joining the show this morning. Laura, are you.
Speaker 5: I'm well, thank you? How are you well? Much for having Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of course, so Marco Rubio told our allies at G seven, there's genuine and certainly about who's actually making decisions in Tehran right now. As someone who studies this, what's that tell you about the state of their government.
Speaker 5: At this point? I do believe that there might be a scramble right now, you know, given the old Ayatola Alijmeni, who's dead.
Speaker 2: His successor.
Speaker 5: His son is I'm so sorry. His name Mukshaba Hamani. He's actually reportedly recovering from an air strike right now in a hospital, but it's been a while now that he's been out of the media and it's raising doubts on whether or not he's dead or alive. You know, the situation on the ground as well is not that great. The power is still down in the capital, there's more strikes coming in from Israel, and Iran is responding. Of course, the internal instability will persist, but there's nothing televised as of late. There's reports saying more than forty percent of Ruran's population is also now living below the poverty line. So there's a whole risk of new protests as well amidst everything that's been going on.
Speaker 1: That's the concern, right des there protest because of their standard of living, because of the pain and agony, and right now it's directed towards the regime. But again, if we're not careful, we've seen this before, Laura, how long before it flips and it's our fault as opposed to the oppressing government that.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, and that's what the Trumpet administration is trying to do because they're not really trying to send in the three thousand troops that have been promised, right, they're trying to do this as swiftly as possible. And you know, as a Secretary of State, Marko Reveal also just mentioned that this sport's going to take another two to four weeks, so without a real timeline, I think everyone's just waiting to see whether or not we invade or whether or not we do take over the nearby island, Hog Island, which also holds ninety percent of Iran's oil exports.
Speaker 1: Wow, so Iranian officials they it seems like they want to negotiate. One of the things that came out last week was that Trump is negotiating with themselves, saying they're not talking to us, but clearly Pakistan is involved in this, and saying the two guys are maybe close to meeting at some point, are coming up with a plan at least, and talks we're getting. Talks are awesome. So kind of would think that the US is not doing the spy, We're not doing this on our own. But Iranian officials who wanted a negotiation I reportedly after their phones to avoid being assassinated. How do you conduct the plumbacy in that kind of environment.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the confusing part. You know, we as you said, we're one month in and there have been NonStop strikes back and forth. But all the while, you know, Trump is saying that Iran is actually desperate to make a deal, but their recent refusal of a US fifteen point plan is showing us otherwise. Now you know what happened in Pakistan. Pakistan also hosted the foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt for in depth regional security talks. I believe they have their second meeting this past weekend and their meeting again today. So I do believe that we're what we're looking at is an expanding war, you know, to the much to the chagrin of the Trump administration, who wants to be out by the next month or so.
Speaker 1: How much longer does this drag on? Rubio said, two to four weeks, so we'll be two months into this thing. I just presume, based on what you told me, Laura, it's going to be longer than that.
Speaker 5: I personally presume it might take up until, you know, the first month of summer. Let's say June July. But again I do hope Ruvio is right and it'll only take another four weeks, all right.
Speaker 1: So the conclusion then is what I mean, how does the regime save face. They're not going to simply turn their guns over and say, okay, you put a system. You can put a democratic system in here, which of course we've tried many times. It doesn't work. What does an agreement look like?
Speaker 5: An agreement? I would say, you know, it starts with the citizens of Iran. As you said, they might reach their own breaking breaking point. And I think at this point the main mission for the US is actually the oil and carve island and reopening the straight upr Moose because that's really put a choke hold on imports and exports around the world. As far as regime change, I don't believe that it's in the US's interest to go in and invade just for that. I think it is up to the citizens to choose their next leader, whether or not it's an Ayatola, that's yet to be determined.
Speaker 1: We have fifty thousand troops now on the well on the ground in the region there specifically. Now, if you hear that headline, oh my God, we sent fifty thousand troops. Now we have forty thousand there already on the bases that we have. It's an additional ten thousand there may me more that is not playing well at home, especially with Donald Trump's base, And the question would be how many more soldiers, sailors and airmen do you need in that region? And can can this thing be done without us having to go in and get the nukes out, which essentially means a ground invasion.
Speaker 5: Right exactly. And Trump also added that we have about thirty five hundred targets left, so he's assuming that it's going to be done pretty quickly. But then at the same time, our thirty first Marine Expeditionary Unit just arrived excuse me, in the Middle East, and this past weekend they also just used dozens of Tomahawk missiles. So it's looking like diploma see, along with some bombings. And I'm honestly not sure how long this is going.
Speaker 1: To take, Yeah, Rubio said Laura Kurchis to what two to four weeks to another month, but that may be accelerated because Trump said he has an April sixth deadline, so that'd be next week for a ran to make a deal their face strikes on power plants. Is that a credible ultimatum? Is it Trump saber rallying. Is he just simply spewing stuff with no backup, or is a negotiation tactic or all of that.
Speaker 5: It's actually very credible because they are starting to hit some of their energy infrastructure. But Iran is responding back because it also is hitting the golf country's water desalination sense, So the situation, can you get can ascolate pretty quick. You know, Israel is also hitting South Lebanon, So there's just a lot more expansions to this right now, and it's including you know, a lot more infrastructure. It's including the universities as well, I running University. Iranian is also bombing and saying, well, we're going to hit American universities also if you don't stop. So this can be a sit for tat and it can go up all the way to the summer, all the way up to the end of the year. But Iran, the.
Speaker 2: Main thing is that it's continuing.
Speaker 5: To respond in attacking its schools countries, which is not in America's interest as well, because half of them are allies. When it comes to targeting the water and energy infrastructure. Just this past weekend it was hitting to wait with their water and energy infrastructure. Saudi Arabia, the UAE, now Jordan is being pulled into the meetings. So it's the strikes are marking very major escalations. So I think at this point it's in Trump's interest to be escalate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at the map, and you've got all these countries around they're getting sucked in. Yemen, adjacent to Saudi Arabia is now getting pulled in well to some degree anyway, because the who thies have entered the chat. How significant is that intil is that escalation exactly?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, the Yemeni hoopies actually attacked Israel this past weekend, so they're officially joining the war. They used ballistic missiles, and you know this was after repeated warnings that they would enter the war if the energy and infrastructure attacks don't stop. And so you know, if we're thinking about expansion, we also have to think about the Sicity rock. We're also influenced by Iran. We have Habela as well in Lebanon, and I think recently actually the new Iatola sent an appeal to the Iraq based Aatola, which you know, signals some very bad news for the US and Israels don't go their way.
Speaker 4: By April six.
Speaker 1: Down here Stateside, we have nearly three hundred American troops injured, two hundred twenty five with traumatic brain injureds tdis. We haven't fully absorbed those casualty numbers yet. Does that Does that change a calculus or this administration? And is that a slow ticking time bomb for at least from a political standpoint here in America.
Speaker 5: I think at this point, you know, Trump was advertising regime change, but I think things are a little more complicated, especially now the soldiers are being harmed. So again, the main mission has to be reopening the strait of her moves and you know, getting out of there as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Marco Rubio said that he wants the Allies Allied nations to police the straight of her moves after the war ends. Is that realistic as far as post war architecture goes, and who enforces that?
Speaker 5: Those are some great questions, and I believe at this point it's not very realistic given the way that Iran is acting and responding with the talk A couple of boats actually internationals have been bombed in the Strait since February twenty eighth, and you know, I like the way that Trump is being positive and saying we're going to get a deal soon, but it's not looking like that in reality, and especially with their responses of bombing. You know, even ships from the Netherlands, from Greece, from Japan very random and the only real ships that can pass at this moment are commercial ships and that's not without tools. So I'm not sure if it's very realistic to go in to an island that is mixed to the Strait and say, you know, we control it without causing something bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And you know, you look at that choke point, the straight of her moves outside the Persian Gulf, and you see how it's easy it is. You know, school kid could tell you how easy it is for Iran to attack anything going through there. And now they have been for a while talking about maybe tolls. That's another layer to this thing. Is it about money from Iran? I can't think that that. I'm like, okay, so you want to open it by toll lane here that they have to pay a price to Iran. I'm not quite sure how that boils up to being something that's negotiable even it's like it's okay if I guess if you want to do that, you can. I'm not sure that works. But that certainly is not one of the big things about this war, is it.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think it's more about the money than it is about the control of in the region. You know, as I said, they have they have administered in an official tools for the ships that were stuck there and passing through. But I think it's more or so to control the actions of the United States in the region, which is why Trump is probably fighting back and resisting. But you know, Iran knows that it has this choke hold on the oil market right now, and I think that's the only piece of leverage that it has in this war, especially with its you know, dead original Ayatola and the sun nowhere to be found.
Speaker 1: Clark Kars. Israel is bombing the hell out of Lebedon as we speak, in response to Hesbol and their rocket attacks, and they have no stranger to these kind of things. But how do you manage two simultaneous fronts without destabilizing the other? I mean, go back to other war World War two would be a great example. You can't fight a war in two fronts.
Speaker 5: I I agree, I have to agree with that. It's unfortunate, and I do believe, you know, hitting is bela targets is always good, but it is expanding into a wider war at this point, and I don't think that we, as you know, even a world can deal with so much conflict that once you know, it has expanded to hitting universities, those institutions. You know, now we have a bunch of American universities in that region as well that are being threatened. So I think at this point the escalation would be our best bet, you know, Asbola are not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems close too, because you have so many allies, so many Arab countries that have taken our side anyway. Now, granted there's countries like Yemen and others that have sided with with Iran, but by and large, most of those countries and regions getting hit. You know, you talk about the UAE and others that are suffering the effects of this thing. It feels like we have a coalition. It just at this point doesn't feel like the needle's moving on it. Is that an accurate assessment.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, very accurate, and that includes that includes Kwait, Saudi Arabia, uae, Qatar, Bahraine. You know, it's it's a bunch of the Goals Cooperation Council countries that have you know, they're being targeted in their energy infrastructure, their military sites. We have you know, American servicemen out there that are being threatened at this point, and not only.
Speaker 1: That, Iran is running an information war against US. I often talk about the digital war going on. That's you know, granted it's it's not going to kill people.
Speaker 2: It might.
Speaker 1: I mean there's that plant in Nebraska that got shut down. The Iranians clim that wound up killing a man and his two children are who happen to be at this bio mass plant. Uh So we do have a casualty in that. But that is the issue most people don't consider and talk about. It is the digital attacks, and that would be the campaign that Iran is running a relative to an information war. How effective is that and this whole thing do you think.
Speaker 5: At this point it's I do believe that it might have potential, but I'm not hearing about any more hacks or things like that into the US. Infrastructure more than I heard about the possibility of super cells, you know, as you know, the FBI did warn about that in California on DC and you know Los Angeles and other major cities. So I think that would be something to look at, and of course, you know, be on guard for any hacking or digital or you know energy infrastructure of our own that can be targeted.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the scary party. We've talked about this for a while is like a digital nine to eleven, to coin a phrase, It feels like from the experts I talked to, that day is coming. We just saw what happened with Striker Medical and that story of courses now in the rearview mirror because you go out doesn't really affect me most people, but something at that scale where it would get our attention, would absolutely bring us to our knees. And it's probably a lot easier to do than with bombs and missiles.
Speaker 3: Right exactly.
Speaker 5: And that is what Iran has essentially been tweeting about on X they're saying, you know, they have some surprise weapon that they were about to unleash. But they have been saying that for a couple of weeks now, so I'm not sure that it's very incredible.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So bottom line here, larak Arch is we're talking at least a month, maybe first, I don't know, first part of summer here, maybe in the June before this thing ends. But again, your gas is as good as anybody's, right exactly.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm hoping Rubio is right and we don't go past the four weeks mark.
Speaker 1: Well, again, you wonder how much economic strain too, because it's bringing the markets down. Gas is very expensive. Of course, it's an affordability thing. And this may be short term and short lived for sure, but you think you'd have to wrap this up midterms come into play as well, and I don't think anyone wants to stomach any boots on the ground. So hopefully, fingers crossed Rubio's right. At the very least, we'll get this thing done sometime in May. Lark Karch is a fox whose contributor and it depended Middle East researcher Laura. Thanks for the inside, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me me will Ah.
Speaker 1: You think you have problems, you ain't got tiger woods problems. What is going on with tiger woods whiskey Tango foxtrot. Julie Hattershare, our mental health expert, is on the show Mental Health Monday and Scottsland Show seven hundred WW. We'll talk about that coming up next.
Speaker 7: Hang on, everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with Mental health expert Julie Hattershire.
Speaker 1: All right, So Tiger Woods is in a mugshot again and millions of fans are asked him the same question, Is this guy okay? What is going on between his ears is as much physical as the physical plane is an addiction issue. What is going on? Plus? And I think he's seeing segue together? Great Gary Woodland who? Gary Woodland is a professional golfer, had brain surgery in twenty twenty three. He has recently gone public about some severe PTSD die noses that he had and since then, Seal feels like a thousand pounds has been lifted off his back. And to prove that point, yesterday he won the Houston Open. So we're going to talk about what's going on the head of athletes, but it also applies to a crisis in sports in general. Showing up in young athletes as a matter of fact, and your kids. Julie hattersh here is our licensed mental health therapist and it's Mental Health Monday on the Scott's Loan Show. She's a be connected in Clifton. Julie, welcome. How's life?
Speaker 8: Heay, life is great, weather's good, sun's out warming up. Spring seems to finally be here to stay.
Speaker 1: The sun's out. But are your guns out? That's the question.
Speaker 4: I'll never tell.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with Tiger Woods. I was talking about this last hour. Arrested Friday after car crash, second time he's rolled his car in a few years. Zero is on the breathalyzer, but refused to your analysis. Still charged with DUI. They said, clearly he was under the influence of something.
Speaker 2: We know.
Speaker 1: He has had chronic surgeries, at least seven back surgeris and many, many, many more, and it's a cycle for him. There's hope, there's comeback, there's collapse, there's hope, there's comeback, there's more collapse. And of course he had that personal scandal in two thousand and nine, seemingly can't out his own way. But you see that with Tiger Woods, and you go all right, As a mental health element to this thing, how much of that is treating the pain? How much is that an addiction issue? Do you think?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't think that you can be an elite athlete and not have some of the qualities and characteristics associated with an addictive personality. The pursuit of excellence, the relentlessness that's required, the obsessive focus on something. Those all can be associated with elite athletes and addictions and high performing people in general. But this man's body has been through so much over the years, and he's had so many surgeries and so many recoveries and so many comebacks that it has to take a toll on him mentally, not just physically. And my guess is he's fairly isolated in terms of people who actually care about him and support him, who he doesn't pay to do so or employ to do so, or who don't feel beholden to him in some way. So I can see it being like this perfect cocktail that just makes him feel lonely isolated. This is my guest, lonely isolated, all on his own, with a lot of expectation from himself and from his fans and from other people, and a body that doesn't do what it used to do, and access to substances that.
Speaker 1: Can help with that, right, right, And that's I think that's the pattern, right that you see from time to time. As I mentioned, you know, he is, there's a collapse and then there's a comeback and we've got hope, and it just keeps repeating itself. And it's been going on multiple times with Tiger Woods. For those of us who aren't high level, world class athletes, which is almost all of us, probably all of us, what's the relationship between chronic physical pain and mental health deterioration, because that applies to all of us.
Speaker 4: It absolutely does apply to all of us.
Speaker 8: The stress associated with chronic intractable pain increases really dramatically, the incidence of depression and anxiety and burnout in all of us. Our bodies are not designed to be in chronic pain all the time, and our brains are not designed to manage chronic pain all the time. And many of the substances that we use to manage the pain also have mental and cognitive components to them. So opioids, for example, are highly addictive and so when our bodies are in such pain, everything is harder. If you think about we all wake up in the morning with a certain level of resource. There's a certain amount of gas in our so to speak, and it varies day by day, but we all wake up with some gas in our tank. And if managing our bodies and our pain is taking most of the gas in our tank, then we don't really have a whole lot else left over for relationships, for productive work, for enjoyment of life, for any of the things that make life meaningful. And so it can start to feel as if all we do every day is grind through the pain, to go to sleep, to get up the next morning to grind through the pain again, and that can have extensive detrimental consequences on our mental well being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at some point it STAPs me into a golf and it's a mental health emergency. I don't know. Yeah, Tiger WOODZS is in mental health crisis at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were.
Speaker 8: It wouldn't surprise me if he were either. The expectations on him are so high. People hang so much hope on him, and he has such high expectations for himself. And we all know that he did not have an easy childhood or an easy father growing up, so that certainly set him up for this belief that he is only as good as his last performance, and that his value is based on what he does, not who he is as a person. I'm speculating, I don't know, but that would be my guest. And his performance becomes his identity, and if his performance is struggling, or his body is failing him or making it difficult, then his identity is impacted versus I had a bad day.
Speaker 4: And you know, shrugging it off and moving on. It sits with him.
Speaker 8: The expectations he has and that we have for him are so high.
Speaker 1: Julie Hattish share our licensed mental health therapist. It's mental health money and the Scoonsland Show on seven hundred WW are talking about that Tiger Woods and of course another rollover accident, this time in Florida. OVI. Clearly he was under the influence of something, now alcohol but probably drugs related to his pain cycle and treating and hopes he's going to come back and play the Masters. He's got TGL going on, and now that everything there is on a full stop And it's almost like if you were to get his would you say, hey, listen, you've got to stop everything, and he get into some long term treatment program here to help you out. But you know again, the painkillers, though, allow him to get up and live his life. How do you deal without painkillers? That's the problem, isn't that well?
Speaker 8: I mean, they allow him to get up and live his athletic golf life. But what if it's time And I don't know, but what if it's time for him to stop playing golf at that level? What if that's just not something that his body and his psyche can sustain anymore.
Speaker 4: What if he needs help distancing.
Speaker 8: Himself or entangling himself from his identity as a golfer and figuring out who he is as a person and a man without the game.
Speaker 4: Of golf at that level.
Speaker 8: Not that he can't go out and play on a weekend with friends, but he plays at such a high level and it's such a toll on his body.
Speaker 4: It's what seven back surgeries.
Speaker 8: Or something like that. That's a lot for a body to sustain. That's a lot of anesthesia, that's a lot of recovery, that's a lot of injury. And trauma for a body to sustain over and over again, not to mention what else.
Speaker 4: He's had to go through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I could see where the addiction cycle just continues to grab on to him. Now, I will say at the Open here I mentioned it's a big golf weekend from Mental Healthy at Tiger Woods. Arrest on Friday. But Gary Woodland is a inspiring story. Here's a guy who had brain surgery, had lesions on his brain back two and a half three years ago, has surgery for that, and then had PTSD something awful to a point where he couldn't do anything. And he said, most recently felt like a thousand pounds of weight was lifted off his back. Yesterday he won the Houston Open, had won a tournament since twenty nineteen. And what a great story that is. PTSD is I normally you think, wow, it's soldiers and first line first responders and things like that. But let's run that down. The definition of PTSD.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Where's it come from?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 8: So PTSD is defined by some hyperactive, hypervigilant behaviors as a result of trauma, and it can come from a number of different things. So what I read about Gary Woodland is in the year to eighteen months before he was diagnosed with the legions, he was having some really awful, frightening, debilitating physical symptoms and they couldn't figure out what it was. So he had all of this really terrible stuff going on with his body. It was traumatic. He was having seizures, he was having horrible nightmares, it was apparently it was just horrifying, and they didn't know what was going on. They didn't have any understanding or explanation of it. So that in and of itself is trauma. So post traumatic stress disorder is what we carry with us in the aftermath of trauma. Now, not everybody gets it, and the traumas that can cause it are different. Some people are more susceptible to it than other people. But it's characterized by four categories of symptoms. Intrusive, unwanted involuntary thoughts, Avoiding reminders of the trauma, so avoiding anything that might trigger a reminder of the trauma. Changes in thinking and mood, so your cognition changes, your brain goes fuzzy. And one of the things that I was reading about him was he forgot where he was when he was triggered on the golf course. Once he forgot for where he was, he forgot what he was supposed to do, so his brain went fuzzy. And people with PTSD either become hyper or hyper hypo aroused, so they either feel everything greatly or they get really numb, and they can taggle back and forth between those two things. So it's the body's response to a trauma that has already happened, and it's cognitive, it's emotional, and it's physical.
Speaker 1: All great, and that's tough to de find though what trauma is. What trauma is for you may not be for me, and vice versa. That's tough to find out what that is, Isn't that I mean, is there a certain threshold that meets to do to trigger PTSD.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: Actually, the way that we kind of think of trauma is it any event that outstrips our coping mechanisms. So any event that outstrips our ability to understand it and cope with it can be traumatic. But some people are more resilient to the effects of trauma than other people are. So let's say there's a plane accident and there are survivors of the plane crash. Some people will carry PTSD from that, and other people will not. So it's not the event itself that necessarily creates the trauma. It's what people, the meaning people make of it, and the impact it has on them as individuals. So trauma can be a very individual thing. Seemingly small things can have a very large impact on someone. Seemingly large things can have a very small impact on someone. So it's visualized, but basically it is when an event outstrips your coping mechanisms and your ability to make sense of it.
Speaker 1: All right, So a plane crash that would be a huge trigger section will assault something like that, horrific accident PTSD, soldiers, cops, firefighters, medics, et cetera. That I all get those jobs, and there's PTSD, probably a lot of it on a on a pretty steady basis. When I was six years old, I asked my mom if I could have an extra cookie? Said, no, you fat bastard, you have had too many. Is that Do I get PTSD from that? That's kind of like not quite as serious as you know, in a shootout with a suspect, But I mean not getting a you know, a seleno butter cookie when you're six years old. That's pretty traumatic for a six year old. What do you make of that? Is that something? Do I got something there to have a case?
Speaker 6: Do you?
Speaker 4: Absolutely do? I think I think kids should get cookies.
Speaker 8: But here's the thing. Let's take this seriously for a minute. Let's say that you got called a fat bastard and lots of other things, often by your family when you were little. Yeah, that's traumatic. Okay, not getting the cookie not traumatic. And I realize you're making a joke. But that kind of environment where you are belittle demeaned, verbally abused may be physically abused when you were young.
Speaker 4: That can create PTSD.
Speaker 8: That is a traumatic environment depending on your response to it as an individual person, That can create PTSD later in life for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, And everyone has that all true something they hold on to sit. But that's everybody, doesn't everybody have what the kids, these deadic kids, they call it microaggressions, right, these little transgressions they add I guess they add it. But I mean, if that's true, everybody's got PTSD, then no, no.
Speaker 8: No, no, everybody has trauma. Everybody has some trauma in their life. We all have some things that happened to us that were more of what we needed or not enough of what we needed. Everybody has that, but the PTSD is very specific. Not all of us have intrusive thoughts and memories and flashbacks of things that happen to us. Not all of us avoid situations because they might trigger that. So think about a war veteran avoiding forth of July because of the fireworks triggering flashbacks to being under fire.
Speaker 4: Most of us love fireworks. Some of us don't love fireworks.
Speaker 8: But most of us don't avoid them because we're afraid they're going to send us diving for cover under a table. Most of us don't have thought and mood changes as a result of what happened to us that one traumatic event or a particularly traumatic childhood, and most of us aren't either hypervigilant, which is what Gary Woodland reported being, or numbed out completely, which is what many people report. So PTSD is a response. It's not the trauma itself.
Speaker 1: So the PTSD in Gary Woodland's case, when's the Houston open yesterday? It's because of the brain tumor surgery he had three years ago. Is a surgery trigger for a lot of people?
Speaker 8: Well, yes, it can be and I think it's a couple of things. So first of all, as I understood it, what I read, the surgery was very close to his amygdala, and the migdala is the smoke alarm of our brain. It is the fire sensor of our brain. It lets us know when something is going wrong. Some people have very sensitive smoke alarms. Some people have less sensitive smoke alarms. But they also left part of the lesion in the brain because they didn't want to impact his motor function or his vision. So he still has a little part of that pushing on the amygdala in his brain. But I also think that the PTSD, as I read it, was from all of the stuff that led up to the diagnosis.
Speaker 4: And what a horrific time he had over.
Speaker 8: That twelve to eighteen months before he got the diagnosis and the surgery and understood what was going on. And so that was a terribly traumatic event. He wasn't sure he was going to live half the time. He really was afraid he was dying, much less be able to play golf again or you know, raise his children and be a husband to his wife. And then the surgery and they left of the part of what they found because they didn't want to take it all in, as I said, in pair's vision or his motor skills. And so he still has a little bit of this brain lesion pressing on his amygdala. And if the amygdala is the smoke alarm of the brain, then he is hyper sensitive to things that other people wouldn't even notice. So as I was reading, somebody walked behind him and he was hyper sensitive to that. But the other thing is, once that smoke alarm goes off, it's really hard to shut it down again. So once he's triggered with that, he can't just shake it off. He can't just say, oh, you know, that was just somebody walking behind me, no big deal. He needs to go through a process and he's just I think, still learning how to do that to calm himself down, reground himself, recenter himself, and keep going forward.
Speaker 4: And he's been dealing with.
Speaker 8: This on his own for years without telling anybody other than his family and his physicians. So now I think the tour is making accommodations for him, and his fellow players are and the fans are more aware of it of late, and so I think it will become easier for him and easier to deal with the triggering in the hyper arousal and the hypervigilance that he is experiencing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotcha. And by the way, Spring is here just a reminder to change the battery on your amygdala so it doesn't cause those triggers. Yes, yeah, yes, Julie Hatter share our license mental health there. Well, that's a great story because he goes and he puts all the PTSD in the surgery behind him and goes and wins a tournament. It goes to show you the therapy works.
Speaker 4: Yes, therapy works. Treatment works.
Speaker 8: There is a way out of the hell that is PTSD. There really is, and there are multiple there are multiple paths to take to do that. But it does require getting help consistently. And he still works at it. I mean, it's what I was reading. He still works at it every day. Sundays are easier and Sundays are harder. And so it's not a one and done. It's not a you don't flip a switch. It's going to be a constant in his life in various ways for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Julie hat to share our licensed mental health expert. She's on the show every Monday. It's Mental Health Monday. A clever name that is here too. And you are an event coming up too, right I do.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of excited about it.
Speaker 8: In the middle of May, May fifteenth and sixteenth, I'm going to be doing a relationship skills boot camp for people individuals or couples who want to improve their relationships. They want things to get better between themselves and their partner, or they want themselves to be better for the next relationship that comes their way. It's going to be two days. It's going to be nine to five on a Friday and a Saturday. It's at this really cool place in Blue ash which is easily accessible right across from Sunnock Park, and I'm going to be downloading over the two days all the best stuff I know about how to be healthy in a relationship to no no more than eighteen or twenty people showing up. So it's going to be small, an intimate, and there's going to be a lot of room for practice and for really good conversation and discussion. And I'm going to make it really fun because I make everything really you really do.
Speaker 1: I think if you've listened to segment for any time you know Julie brings the fun wagon with her too, so this won't suck.
Speaker 4: No, okay, at least I'm hoping it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hope it doesn't suck. People want to go or they're interested worded, Where do you.
Speaker 8: Click be Connected dot care, be Connected the letter b connected dot care and up at the top there's a link for boot camp. Click on that and it'll give you everything you need to know about it.
Speaker 4: I'd love to have some of.
Speaker 1: Our listeners there absolutely, and if you miss that, you can email or hey Julie at be Connected dot care And if you've got idea maybe for a future segment there as well. Have a great week. We'll talk again next Monday morning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yep, perfect, thanks, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: There you go check out the boot camp if you will. Let me get a news update in here in just about four minutes, very latest on what's happening around the world. He is behind a statewide petition to kill data centers in Ohio. They want to be in all over the place, especially in the rural counties. Health Cincinnati even said we don't want them till we figure out what the story is. The legislature's way behind on this, but they have started a petition and are looking for your signatures to put limits on data center. Some say the limits will kill data centers. Details next seven hundred WWD Cincinnati, Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 3: Indian?
Speaker 1: Flowing on seven hundred ww SOO A group of residents, concerned residents see these data centers come and they're coming all over the place and said, let's puck the brakes a little bit on this. They just cleared a major hurdle to get it on your ballot in November. And from Ohio Residence for responsor to Alex Schaefer's back on the show. Alex, congratulations, first of all, because Attorney General yos just certified your petition and there are five residents you're one of them, but you're part of the movement to banned data centers using more than twenty five megawatts a month and now moves on to the Ohio ballot board to determine if it qualifies as a single ballot issue. It looks good so far. For those maybe hearing your voice for the first time because you've been it a few times, welcome back. Why did you wind up getting involved in.
Speaker 9: This Scott, Good morning to you in the tri State. I wanted to get involved in this, you know, as someone that loves Adams County. My grandparents grew up here, my mother grew up here, and they immigrated here from Lithuania, and you know, the amount of passion and the pride and beauty that we have here in Adams County is absolutely phenomenal. And you know, as part of my campaign for the County Commissioner, I don't want to see irresponsible development come into the county, which unfortunately is been the history of what we've seen here the last couple of years with NDAs and LAFE of Transparency and so this is all about transparency and responsible development for the residents of Adams County and now the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the twenty five megawatt cap would effectively block most modern data centers in today's AI driven facilities need what about two hundred megawatts? Why why that number in particular, because I think when we first talked, or at least the first few times we spoke, Alex, he said, hey, listen, we don't want we don't want to eliminate data centers because we realized it's the future we all use the we all use them in some way, shape or form. I keep mentioning the average American has twenty one devices that they used, maybe not at all the same time, but we all use data and so acknowledging that this feels like, well, it would be a ban on data centers. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: No? And that's the thing.
Speaker 9: The twenty five cap figure was given actually based on looking at comparables you know, nationally, but more so specifically here in Ohio about legislation that the state legislators had proposed in a bill themselves looking at utility usage in regards to that twenty five megawatt figure. So from our standpoint, the way we had constructed this, you know, amendment proposed amendment is to say, we need data centers as part of our society, but what we don't want is to become a dumping ground for tech, and that, unfortunately, is what we have become with these hyper scale data centers popping up in rural Ohio and residents having you know, the wool pull it overneath are on there above their head, I'm sorry in the morning over there. So you know, it's about responsibility and it's about also taking accountability in relation to the actions or inactions that are state legislatures are undergoing, and it's.
Speaker 1: Happening all over You know, you're in Adams County. I'm a Brown County, a small village there is going through so the NDAs. We're just seeing it in mountal We're seeing it all over the place in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, but in particular Ohio because we're fifth in the nation and data center builds and we've got a bunch more that are trying to get online as we speak. This would certainly slow things down. But at twenty five megawatts, I would think that an operator w go, well, it's not worth it putting in Ohio. I'll go somewhere else. Should we I mean, should we have some of these in our backyard? I mean yeah, I guess. It is not a lot of jobs, for sure. It doesn't take many people to operate a data center. It's a other than maybe people to service and construction workers alike, which are great paying jobs for sure, and the maintenance on them is going to continue to pay dividends. But at the end of the day, if I'm opening one of these places, I wouldn't be looking at Ohio. If you cap me at twenty five bagwats.
Speaker 9: Exactly, and I think that's that's where we have to look at the development. And this has been spurred by sluggishness from estate legislators and being proactive compared to other states and looking at a master framework for Ohio rather than chasing what is the next big boom that we want to be a part of. But is that boom responsible for the residents of Ohio long term? And when we are literally dumping these energy consumers in rural America to where we're not getting the number of jobs, we are straining our energy grid, we are affecting land values, we are forcing residents to leave areas where they love, and we don't know the true long term health and environmental effects of these data centers because we're within kind of that twenty year timeframe of when they actually at first started to appear in America. We have to step back at the society in a bipartisan way and say what is the best thing for not only ourselves, but our kids and our grandchildren, and how we want to see Ohio moving forward.
Speaker 1: At the same time, now they're limited jobs, but there's significant tax benefits to these things. How granted a dran an environment. A concern is the water, the concern is the electricity and what it takes and the footprint of these things. But at the same time, we're getting a hell of out of tax revenue from these things that we don't want to see go to another state.
Speaker 9: Well actually, currently right now, we are not seeing any sales tax in relation to hardware that is purchased by these data centers at a there was another bill proposed this week to basically repeal that. And then in relation to the actual development of these data centers, most of them have run off of one hundred percent TIFFs and most of them have run off an additional cr credit. So here in Adamscunty specifically, it was looking at a fifteen year fifty percent CRA and a one hundred percent TIFTS. So when we actually look at long term, what is the taxable infrastructure value that we're providing to the community, separate from the job, separate from the land value. If you look at across Ohio and you look at across the country, the numbers simply do not support the.
Speaker 2: Position of the Coalition.
Speaker 3: For Data centers. It simply doesn't.
Speaker 1: Can we change that legally though, so we wind up getting clawing more money back. That's something the legislature could take up, couldn't.
Speaker 9: It clawbacks verse actual you know, implementation and effective dates. I don't think there's any way that you would be able to quote unquote claw back money if you will.
Speaker 1: But in tax use your development, I mean we're we're.
Speaker 9: Still in use, yeah, absolutely, taxing future development. You know, in one of the bills actually that was proposed by the legislature in Ohio and.
Speaker 2: The first version which was.
Speaker 9: Removed and it actually had passed going on to the Senate now was there was a moratorium in place in Ohio. So we have multiple different pieces of bills right now in Ohio where we are looking to study these things provide you know, caps on tax incentives, water output and consumption, electrical consumption. But at the same point in time that allows these developers and these community economic development directors to continue to try and slam these data centers into Ohio. And I can tell you after being at a conference this week and in Columbus, the Ohio Economic Development Association.
Speaker 2: That is essentially their mindset. They're very well aware of the legislation.
Speaker 9: That's going on in Ohio. But they are their goal in their their their focus right now is continuing to push these projects through despite that.
Speaker 1: Alex Schaefer is here, he's part of a group well high residents and responsible development as the ones that brought this to the Attorney General's office. So in November it looks like we could get a referendum on the ballots that essentially would kill data centers in Ohio because it would limit them to using more than no more than twenty five megawatts of electricity a month. And these things are two hundred plus, which is the size of a small town and only getting bigger for sure. And the other side of this thing, Alex, though, is the concern over national security. We all want to continue America and to be independent obviously too. But if we have another growing number of states and simply say we don't want these data centers here, don't they just build them in China?
Speaker 9: So I think with the data center argument regarding national security, and this is something I had brought up, if we're truly looking at a national security issue, then the federal government needs to start throwing their weight around and weigh in. Yes, need to step in, and they need to say what is a responsible pathway for development for our entire country moving forward, and where and how we want to see these hyper scale data centers moving forward. But right now we don't have that because they are spreading out all over the country. And when that does happen and they are all over the country, you have different state laws that take into effect, different municipal laws that take into effect. So even if we are, you know, in putting in data centers that deal with national security right now, what real authority does the federal government have if they're not exercising that at this standpoint.
Speaker 1: No question. And we've seen this before and it's typical of the system as they tend to be reactive when it's business or something that's groundbreaking like this, are always behind it and it takes forever to explain to these eighty year olds and they're what a data center is, what AI is. That's part of the problem too, and so it's lagging right. It takes some time to develop and do the research, and so there are numbers bills that would deal with this. I one of the couple at least in the state House here in Ohio and federally they're working out it as well, so it always takes time for them to catch up to what the current zeitgeists in this case AI and particularly data centers ALEX. So you know at some point legislation will come. How we just went through this with the THHD drink band, where you know, the the craft breweries who are starting to get a little decline in craft beer have discovered THHC and fused beverages, and we just ban those. The governor just said, I don't like them. I don't think anyone should drink them, because you know, it's a theocracy anyway. He essentially bam vetoed this thing. They struck it down and you can't buy him in Ohio anymore. But I mean that again, it shows you how business is hamstrung by government. The government should be reacting to this and putting policies in place that protect the land and protect your interests there in Adams, but also in Brown County and many others. Is opposed to just letting them run rush out, and then what happens is we come up with a conscial amendment that kills all this stuff, and nobody wins in that. I don't think are you completely one hundred percent against any data centers going in despite the twenty five mega want limit.
Speaker 9: You want, no, we need data centers in society. My company uses data centers on a daily basis, and I think that's the underlying frustration that we have here right now. And we've been a prime example of that in Atoms, where the citizens have been voicing their frustrations over this for months. Brown County residents have been voicing their frustration for months. The City of Cincinnati has enacted the moratorium on data center. So when we look at then, you know, our leaders in terms of our elected officials, in return, in terms of our contracted partners that they utilize for development, and none of these individuals are listening to the residents and listening to the concerns on the ground, and they're in their ivory towers and their mindset is just to continue to push these things in. We inherently have a gap, and the residents are making their effort and trying to voice their conns. But when the underlying motivation from the government officials and these developers is to keep pushing these things in. Unfortunately, this is the predicament that you get yourselfs in.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now the real work begins here, and that is collecting all of these signatures. You need about four hundred and I think four hundred thousand plus.
Speaker 2: Roughly four hundred and thirteen four.
Speaker 1: Thirteen, that's the number there too, So you'd have to collect what roughly seven eight hundred thousand in order to be safe.
Speaker 9: And of those, it's basically ten percent of the votes in the landscubernatorial race in Ohio from twenty twenty two, and then of that, you know, five percent needs to come from forty four out of the eighty Ohio county So right now we have essentially thirty county captains assigned that would oversee their counties and they're working on the volunteer committees.
Speaker 2: I believe this.
Speaker 9: Week a ballot issue political action campaign is going to be started. Interesting in Lee and Ohio. There is no cap on contributions to a ballot issue political action committee to anyone out there listening, and then you know, from there, we're definitely working on putting the framework in place on how we're going to handle the signature portion and election day in May to get a large portion of those signatures, you know. So things are developing very rapidly and very quickly, and the amount of support that we've seeing around the state is truly, truly overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the easy easier part, I guess I should say nothing about this is easy, but would be Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati to you know the date in the big cities, bigger cities anyway, But out in rural areas where you are, which is most of Ohio, that takes a lot more work because people are more scattered, it.
Speaker 3: Takes more work.
Speaker 9: So what we have is a prime opportunity right now with the primary elections on May fifth coming up, and in addition, in these rural areas, a lot of the political activism, if you will accourage via word amount because people it's in a small community. People talk people out, personal experiences. So even if you look at the amount of signatures that we were able to gather, you know, the last few weeks from the rural areas, mainly in southwest Ohio, you know, our boots on the Grand campaign has been working at gaining interaction and more importantly, now it is evidently clear across the state people are overwhelmingly concerned about this issue and want to have a stake in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes sense, So people out there collecting the signatures, you up till July first to get this, and there's a few more hurdles to jump in this discuss. The other thing too, is are you going to have pushback then from the state because Governor Mike DeWine is hanging his hat on this and wanting to put data centers in He's champion them for years. Republican lawmakers handed out billions and tax breaks in this industry, and now maybe they're pumping the breaks have And second thoughts, I'm not quite sure what do you make all that plus all the money that these big companies and we're talking the Amazons of the world are going to be throwing at this campaign to make sure that people vote in support of data centers as opposed to what with you guys are doing, Alex, Is this a winnable I mean, you get on the ballot, But the problem is it's just grassroots versus all that money in politics. Does that frighten.
Speaker 9: You well, because we would expect pushback from the state and also from big tech, which is inherently why we're.
Speaker 2: Here right now.
Speaker 9: And you know, when we also look at again valid issues with the political action campaigns, you know, based on the contributions that we would receive. That is the standpoint of Then we're looking at getting paid circulators to gather the petitions and actually get more of a modernized movement going. But if you look at the underlying, you know, drive of people here, it's about protecting their land in Ohio. And from my standpoint, if you had to ask me, would I rather side with big tech and the government or our residents here in Ohio that are so prideful of their land, so prideful where they're from and then wanting to protect that in a responsible way, I'm going to go with the residents of Ohio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough, all right, So look for people asking for your signature. It's a very important issue data centers in and around Ohio. Alex Schaeffer, thanks again for jumping on the show. Brother, I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Scott, thank you very much. Thank you to the Tri State area again for you allowing us to voice what's going on here in Adams and now the state on seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Wow, you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Be well. And it's not just Adams County, of course, it's all the other counties in Ohio, especially the rural ones where we're looking at data centers in Cincinnati for that matter, where they declared that moratorium on this stuff until the legislature gets in and comes up with a plan. We need to study, we need a plan. What's taken so long. Let's get after it. But you know, this is the same government, granted that the state, the federal that can't even pay tsa workers. So it feels like sometimes hope has left the building. We'll get a time out in and news is coming up in just minutes and Jeff Carr is here. We'll get some good news because the Reds have won their first series of the season, and it feels like, I don't know, it feels like twenty years. It's probably not true, but it just feels like they don't win series until they're either out of it or late in the season.
Speaker 2: I make it.
Speaker 1: And now out of the blocks, you take two or three from Boston. How we looking pretty good? Pretty damn good? Just ahead Jeff Carr from Lockdown. Reds will wrap up the first weekend of Major League Baseball here in Cincinnati, Ohio on the Scotsland Show seven hundred Wilda. How about something positive I about those Red Leagues taking two to three from the Socks to open up the year. We've got a rookie already making history. I think a lock right now for Rookie of the Year after the first series. And a guy who's in pitching the big leagues and what five hundred and something days looks like? He never left? Who got a guy who lives in breeze the roster every single day? The only daily Reds podcast, Jeff Carr locked on Red's Welcome Back Son, How we doin?
Speaker 2: That was a great first weekend Sloany.
Speaker 6: After opening Day, everybody was worried.
Speaker 2: But I was so happy to see that they battled back to that series.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very Cincinnati. If you win the first game of the season and opening because it's so big, you're going to the World Series. If you lose, the team's going to hell. We're not gonna be able to do anything. We can't get everyone away. We're not gonna make it. We're gonna we're gonna be mathematically eliminated by the All Star break. You know, it's either really really high. We're very manic in that regard. Two wins final two games after being shut on an opening day. What's the most important takeaway from you that you saw in this opening series.
Speaker 6: Jet, I think it's overall that the lineup is better, and we saw two different reasons why. On Saturday it was the middle of the lineup between McClain, Ellie and south Stewart just all going off. They were constantly complimenting each other with hits here and there and Homer's everywhere. And then on Sunday it was the one thing that they brought a eu Haniu Suarez in here to do.
Speaker 2: Sure, people are.
Speaker 6: Going to belabor the batting average, people are going to talk about the strikeouts, and as we heard on both broadcasts at different point throughout the weekend, he left a small army on base in the first two games. But it's that one swing that he can deliver in a key moment when things just aren't quite going the reds way and flip the script because the Red lineup was pretty much shut out. I mean, I actually shut out the rest of the game except for au Haneu swars one swing for three runs and they get the win, and that's why he's here.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, I mean everyone was excited, Hey, forty nine Horme runs last year. But if you extrapolate that, that's about what this would look like right game right.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 6: And really the way that this lineup was able to put things together looked different from last year because we constantly heard, well, you got a string hits together, single single, single death by a thousand customers, that's how this offense is going to work. But there were multiple different ways, but it showed over the weekend how it can be the team. And make no mistake about it, the pitchers that Threads faced from Boston are supposed to be really good and connolly early in Sunny Grade, So I'm I'm happy with the fact that they faced the high level of competition and they rose to the challenge.
Speaker 1: Sales Stewart's already making history as a rookie. How good can he actually be? Is there really succeeding you put on him? Because we know that typically what happens is you go hot like this and then after a handful of games, the league catches up. They got a book on you. Okay, they start pitching it different. Then you have to up your game a little bit. What do you see how this plays out for Sales Stewart how many years will it be? In thirty years, will he putting a buying a clock and putting it up in front of Great American Ballpark like our last like our last rookie.
Speaker 6: I put no pressure on anybody to be Joey Vado, I'll say that. But when I do look at South Stewart, I see a lot of things that can translate to a really, really good season. They're going to be a seven hundred average season, probably not that has ever happened before, but he can easily bat somewhere north of two seventy five two eighty. And then we're talking about a guy who should be around that five hundred range for slugging, and that's going to be so key. That's what the Reds need in the middle of this lineup, and that's what Peedo seasoned him. But the other thing that is added to this and is very clear, is that his patience at the plate knows no bounds, because especially on Saturday and Sunday, Boston pitchers we're really trying to work around him and trying to dare him to chase pitches high low out in no matter where they were, they weren't in the strike zone and he was. He was fine to just say, look, I'm waiting on my pitch. You didn't give it to me, I'll take my base. He had no qualms about being patient at the plate, and I think for me, that is the biggest takeaway I had of his game all weekend is that even though he's a rook with just about a month in the major leagues, more than you and I, he looked as though he has been there for so long and his game is going to translate all season long with that type of play discipline.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, and who knows. I mean, he keeps us up at this pace and even if he settles down a little bit, good lord, Rookie of the Year MVP, I'll rolled in the one.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think that Terry Francona would even probably tell you that was just like, you know, Rookie of the Year sounds nice, But he has higher aspirations than that.
Speaker 2: And if you heard Sal.
Speaker 6: Stewart talk at Redsfest and stuff like that, I don't even know that individual accolades.
Speaker 2: Matter to him. He's like, I want to win. I want this team to advance in the postseason.
Speaker 6: Because whenever he was asked about you know, getting his first postseason action in his very first season, very first taste in the major leagues. He was like, well, you know, that was nice and all, but I want to win, and that's what they're looking for.
Speaker 1: And when now is a rookie's that's awesome, right Louder hasn't pitching like a year and a half. He goes five innings in his first start, has the lead. That's pretty damn encouraging. The guy has been on the bench that long, rehab that long. It looks so damn good, almost like mid season form, if you will this weekend.
Speaker 6: He is my favorite kind of pitcher. He's a thinking man's pitcher. It's not just he can rare back and throw one hundred miles an hour when he needs to. It's more so ninety five ninety six. But he locates everything with just about the precision that you would expect from a guy that he has pitched all of his career. He was a guy that after the Reds drafted him and he showed up in Dayton, I got a chance to interview him a little bit and he said, you know, even from day one, I recognize that I couldn't throw as hard as other players, and so I had to outthink the hitter from high school all the way through college and all the way up to this point. And so I think that we're going to see that every time he's on the mound, he's going to have a shot that that's a really good game because he knows he's got four great pitches that he can work with, he can locate them all around the strike zone as he needs to, and he can really face down an opposing lineup that I mean, he struck out Roman Anthony twice, yeah, yesterday, and Roman Anthony just absolutely did whatever he wanted in the first two games. So that was super encouraging to see that a guy like britt Lauder was so little major league experience, was able to affect the game so very keenly.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, make it up. That's why it works. He is Jeff carrl Lockdown, Red's only daily Reds podcast, chopping up this past weekend, opening weekend in Cincinnati with the Boys come out of victorious, taking all but one game and the home opener. Who cares, We won the last two Pittsburgh in town tonight and the season continues.
Speaker 2: I think it's.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you know that the debate over what Terry Francone gets you, and many would argue that the reason they made the playoffs because of the moves he made with personnellity had. I think moving Chase Burns away from Boston specifically what happened last year that you know, people for I think people forget that because of the excitement of the offense and the pitching and the questions and yeah, I mean there's those little things. The way he's got this lineup situated right now, how many wins would you project a manager like Tito gets you versus I don't know, not to pick on them at David Bell.
Speaker 6: I'd say probably about five to ten if they're really really good. But it's been a while since we've seen a manager that can I had ten wins, but I definitely would say that Terry Francona added about five wins this last season because the way that you saw some of the games that he attacked were completely different. To compare it to David Bell, because there were multiple points throughout David Bill's tenure that something would happen in the middle of the game.
Speaker 2: It'd be an injury, it.
Speaker 6: Would be I don't know, a thirty or forty pitch inning that a pitcher would need to be and then we would see the back end of the bullpen just completely go home, and they were bringing in these guys that they barely pitched or they pitched poorly. And after the game, you know, David Bell would say something to the effect of, while we were making sure that everything is rested for tomorrow, he managed for tomorrow. Tito managed for today every single day. It didn't matter what it was. And it wasn't a Game seven type urgency where it's like we've got to absolutely put everything in harm's way, but it was such an urgency that you knew today mattered. And that's how it felt, even in these first three games where he was able to move some things around. And I know there's some criticism of, you know, leaving TJ. Friedland against left handed pitching because Dan Myers was sitting on the bench, but there were definitely other moves that made plenty of sense. And I think that Sarah Francona shows us that he's he's about a five win manager.
Speaker 1: I would say, okay, yeah, we saw Okay win this year's against Boston. Pittsburgh is a lightweight, so you would hope and they'd be able the Sweeper certainly win the series there. Then it's off to Texas and Miami. Then you got the you got Anaheim, you got Frisco in there, Minnesota, Detroit. All in this first month of the season, Hunter Green is out till July, Lodolo's already on the isle with the blister, Ferguson hasn't thrown a pitch yet. Just how in the brink are they and what's your realistic best case scenario for the first half.
Speaker 6: I still think that the pitching staff was looking really well, especially after watching Rhet Louder, and I'm expecting Chase Burns and even Brandon Wimson to look pretty good here as they begin against the Pirates. Plane up that is much revamped from last season. Looks like they can be a lot more dangerous. But the Pirates are still a very flawed team. And I think you're right the Reds should win this series. They've got a massive opportunity with a lot of different games coming up.
Speaker 2: It should be theirs because.
Speaker 6: This is a tough thing, and baseball players will never tell you this, and managers will never tell you this. They don't look at the schedule as a whole. They look at every single day, but we as fans can't. And when you look at the month of April, it is vastly different from the month of September. And even though Hunter Green isn't here and we're still waiting on the debut for Nickelodola this year, this is the time to really make some headway because you mentioned a lot of teams in there that the Reds should beat up on. I know that the Marlins are actually undefeated, they swept the Rockies in their first series, but.
Speaker 2: I don't buy that.
Speaker 6: I don't think that the Marlins are that kind of a team that the Reds really got to be like.
Speaker 2: Oh, we got to fear these guys. Yeah, and they're not.
Speaker 6: There's no Brewers on the schedule, and I don't think there's any Cubs on the schedule until either very late in the month or into the month of May.
Speaker 2: And so when you.
Speaker 6: Look at that, those are the games that you really really need to have a leg up on before you even go into it. This is where you get your leg up. And the good news was on Nickelodola, we heard that he's got a reheab start coming up. Later this week and we should be seeing him hopefully back.
Speaker 2: I would say in the.
Speaker 1: Next ten days that one, you know, you can have Tommy John surge. We have acl all these things, but a blister there's no remedy for that is just this is Is this what Nick de Lodolo is going to be is like a pitch lights out and then be on the il for ten days because he's got a blister. Is that just what we should expect from him.
Speaker 6: I think there's going to be a day where he releases the book slowly of how to treat blisters on your finger, because I think he's gone through every single yel at this point. You're right, Like, I mean, we constantly hear in spring training about how he's doing all this and that and the other, and what he is doing to avoid them. But you're right, as far as like injuries go, it seems pretty minor, but when it keeps happening so very much, seems to really taint everyone's view of the pitcher. And I think that we will finally see a point where there's going to be a gallous form. I would reckon on that finger that he can control his curveball and still be an effective pitcher, but overall, like the whole blister thing was so funny because it also affects Brady Singer. You know, everyone was talking about and myself included, that looked like everything was good to go. I mean, obviously he made his first start of the season, but it was clear it was the second or the third in he was standing on the mountain waiting for the signal and he was, you know, trying to bite off the dead skin from that blister and get it off of his finger, and it's like, okay, it's still bothering. So you saw some control issues with him out there.
Speaker 2: And that's the biggest problem is that this.
Speaker 6: Little tiny thing on the end of your finger that forces you to just lose control of the most key of your game. That's when you're trying to make the ball move. So I think ultimately we're going to see Nick Lidla figure away around this because it's such a minor issue. It's just it's cropped up so much. I think people have lost belief that he can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff Carr, the bench delivered in a big way on Saturday. Myers had to walk off Spencer Steer playing three positions, making all the white roofs, you know, outside of pitching, which is going to sort of self out at some point. You can't control the injuries and the eel and all that, but you know, just you look at an element. I don't think we've considered that as the Reds are pretty deep.
Speaker 6: They are, and they've got a lot of weapons off the bench, because it feels like in years past the bench has been full of utility guys that well, their glove works, but we're really not sure if we actually need to have them hit against somebody else. That's not the case now. And Dane Myers really showed his value. It's not necessarily that he is a long ball guy. It's that he's a bat on ball guy. Lots of contact, be able to hit you a line drive, gets you a single, keep the lineup moving. But he also has a really good ability and we didn't really see it this weekend, but we will at some point. His arm is elite. There's a lot of people that talk about how talented he is in the outfield and throwing guys out at different basis, and that's going to be an interesting wrinkle that the Reds add to their divisional matchups. Because teams like the Pirates and the Brewers and the Cubs and the Cardinals all know that the Reds lineup has been kind of suspect, or the Red's outfield, I'm sorry, hasn't been kind of suspect these last few years. And so you can run on these guys, you can't run on Day Myers. And I'm interested to see the first time that he announces himself in that manner. But you're right, the rest of the bench is full of guys. I mean, we didn't see Nate Lowe really provide the value that I'm expecting of him. He literally got one at bats, so it's really hard to belabor that point. But I think that we will see him come up in some key moments and give the Reds some key pinch hit at bats and get some starts at first base. And then the outfield situation between how he can move Will Benson in there, how he can move Spencer to Steer in there. Like you mentioned, Spencer Steer played three different positions this weekend. But oh by the way, according to Statcast, he increased his swing speed significantly from last year. It was around seventy miles an hour, which was below the league average to now seventy three miles an hour, which is above ly gaverage. We're talking about a stronger hitter at the play even with him moving around. So I think that there's going to be a lot of value that Spencer Steer brings this team. He's been a valuable guys to the point in his career so far, but I think that we will see even more from him this year.
Speaker 1: He is Jeff Carr only Daily Red's podcast. It's called Locked on Reds. You can follow him there. He jumps on the show every Monday morning. Next time we talked, Jeff, we'll have had three at Pittsburgh. Against Pittsburgh I should say six forty tonight with the five forty inside pitch on the Home of the Red seven hundred w welw off on Thursday. Then first road trip of the season is off to Texas. We'll be talking about that before they head to Miami and then back home again for the tenth starting weekends. Heies in Friday, fireworks and then so lots to talk about the interim. All the best, Buddy, Thanks for jumping on the show this morning.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Go RD Jeff Carr locked on Reds this morning. All right, Red's Baseball. As I mentioned getting on later night. Willie is coming up in just a few minutes, and then Eddie and Rock and of course Lance mccallis takes you to that inside pitch at five point forty Houlver the Red, seven hundred w AUTIWT, Cincinnati,