Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, were running.
Speaker 1: Back, hosted by Dodgers and signer David Vase.
Speaker 2: A three peat in the mix.
Speaker 3: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Last day, the Dodgers victorious on opening night, defeating the Arizona Diamondbacks by a final score of eight to two. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you for the next hour right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We do have phone lines open on this opening night eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Jose is going to join us later in the show. Plus, I was eavesdropping on the NBC broadcast tonight just to hear how Clayton Kershaw's broadcasting debut went, and he passed with flying colors. I hate to say it, and honestly the reason why I hate to say it is the guy's a Hall of Fame pitcher. He wasn't a good hitter when he first started, then he made himself into a good hitting pitcher, and now his first first fora into broadcasting, and he's really good. Dang it. This guy's good at everything. So yeah, if he wasn't and I'm not just saying that because I covered the guy for his entire career, especially closely the last fourteen, if he wasn't good, I probably would ignore it. But he was really good. In fact, I would venture to say that he's probably just as good as any other baseball analyst out there. I thought it was a good broadcast tonight. By the way, when I tuned in for different innings between Jason Bennetti, Oral Hersheiser, Luis Gonzalez, and Kershaw. Kershaw was sitting where I usually sit and Kirsten Watson usually sit right next to the Dodger dugout. That's usually where the sideline reporter sits. He was an analyst, but they put him right next to the Dodger dugout, and I'm sure that wasn't easy for him, considering he was just on the team last year. And he just retired and he's right next to the dugout that he spent nineteen years in. So that's not easy. It's not easy for players that just finished playing to go into broadcasting because they know these guys, they know their teammates, and it's hard to criticize them. There really wasn't any moment in the game that required criticism or constructive criticism. But Kershaw, I mean the dude. The dude did a good job tonight. And when we saw him in his suit and tie pregame, he had this like sun Tan glow. Where was this guy Fiji before he showed up at Dodger Stadium for Opening Night? So all around, a successful night for Clayton Kershaw. A successful night here on Dodgers Radio with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner and Steven Nelson as well, and we're with you until ten o'clock tonight on Dodger Talk. Eight six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I said this yesterday, I said this again today multiple times with Petro some money, and you might have thought again I was being a homer. I wasn't. I actually believe the Dodgers are going to score at least eight runs. And that's the reality of this lineup against very ordinary pitchers like Zach Gallen. I hate to break it to you. Zach Gallen, I would say is above average starting pitcher, but he's a right handed starter, and the Diamondbacks bullpen is not very good. They don't have a left handed reliever. The Dodgers' best hitters are left handed Otani Tucker, Freddie Freeman, Max Munsey, to name a few. There was nowhere to hide for anybody. And look, Gallen did well through the first three four innings, but the Dodgers were chipping away. That's why I asked Will Smith if he saw any cracks in the armor in Gallen in the first few innings before the Dodgers got to him. And I feel like Gallen got flustered and frustrated when ta Oscar Hernandez beat out an infield single on a ground ball that was hit to the left side of the pitchers mound. I felt like he let that frustration carry over into him facing Andy Pajez. But I also I believe the Dodgers were getting to him because Max Munsey before his leadoff single, almost hit a home run down the right field line instead it was foul. So look, it's just a matter of time. And the Dodgers, like Dave Roberts said, were so disciplined tonight, and that's something we saw all spring training long, from veterans like ti Oscar Hernandez to rookies like James Tibbs. The Dodgers are very disciplined, which forces these pitchers to come into the strike zone. Also, don't discount the abs. This is going to force pitchers that nibble into the middle of the strike zone or a bigger part of the strike zone, and the Dodgers were able to take advantage of that in the fifth inning with a four run fifth Andy pat has not missing a hanging curveball, a go ahead three run home run. Gallin left the game after his implosion, throwing twenty five pitches without recording and out and the Dodger hitters had seven two strike hits tonight. That's indicative of grinding out at bat. So all in all, this is just an appetizer of things to come for the Dodgers this season with this offense, if they stay healthy. Tonight's game was brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter eight six six nine eight seven seventy is the phone number. Oh did I mention I also have between now and ten o'clock a one hundred dollars gift card to Superior Grocers thanks to our friends at Superior Grocers. And listen to tomorrow's broadcast to hear the word of the day from our guy Andre Ethier. Kyle Tucker, he had a few first as a Dodger tonight. In the seventh inning, he got his first hit, drove in his first run, and had his first extra base hit. He drove in sho he Otani all the way from first base was in motion on a double in between or to the left center field gap, and then Tucker scored his first run when Mookie Bets drove him in. So, Kyle Tucker a huge part of this Dodger offense hitting second between Otani and Mookie Bets, and Freddie Freeman was robbed of extra bases by Jordan Lawler as well in this game. So I'm telling you, I'm telling you this Dodger offense is the best lineup they have had in at least the last ten years. And I kind of felt like today's Opening Day was going to resemble Opening Day from twenty nineteen Dodgers Diamondbacks Zach Grinki on the mound. The Dodgers hit eight home runs that day against the Diamondbacks and beat them twelve to three. I wasn't gonna go so far to say double digits tonight, but I'm on the record go back to the tape as saying I believe the Dodgers were going to score at least eight runs tonight, and they did, beating Arizona eight to two, eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number would love to hear from you if you were at Opening Day tonight. What a great experience. Tristan, who was here tonight? Tristan, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing good?
Speaker 4: David?
Speaker 2: How you doing phenomenal? How can it be bad when you got the back to back champions and uh, they're they're this good going for the three pet.
Speaker 4: I know it was.
Speaker 5: It was a great game tonight. I mean the only thing terrible about it right now is trying to get out of Dodger Stadium with the traffic.
Speaker 2: Well, that means you get more time to listen to me. I'll be on until ten o'clock tonight.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, I just wanted to ask you you think that Yamamoto is a cy Young candidate. I mean, I know that Skemes didn't do very good today, and I I mean, I think that's really the only person that we have to be worried about besides maybe Otani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, uh, Yamamoto, Skeens, Christopher's Sanchez with the Phillies, Otani, and look if Blake Snell comes back at the end of May and he makes twenty three to twenty five starts, he's in that conversation. You know, when Snell pitches close to a full season. He's won two cy Young Awards. So I would say the Dodgers have at least three of the five candidates to win the cy Young this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree completely. I mean I think I think Yamamoto is probably best suited for it. But uh, I know that Otani's probably wanted to get cy Young as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he made that clear. And when he said says himself to goals, he's achieved them. So yeah, I would expect a big pitching year from Otani as well. Thanks for the phone call, Tristan. Appreciate it. Eight sixty six, nine to eighty seven, two five seventy. Noah was in the house tonight. Hi, Noah, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Look how you doing?
Speaker 2: Do it went great? How was your experience at the stadium tonight?
Speaker 6: It was awesome. It was my first opening day. I'm nineteen.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That's awesome. Who'd you come to the game with?
Speaker 7: I came with with with my best friend Marlon.
Speaker 4: He's right here. What's up, man?
Speaker 2: Hey? How you doing? Who did you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Did you buy the Dodger Dog since your guy Noah got the tickets?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I bought them a Dodger Dogs.
Speaker 2: All right, Noah, what do you want to say about Kyle Tucker's debut?
Speaker 6: He just looked really really patient at the plate, and he just looked really confident.
Speaker 2: That's a really good player. He's a really good player. I would expect him to get on base this year at a four hundred clip, and that's gonna make a lot of traffic on the basis for Mookie Beds, Freddie Freeman, Willson, there's just nowhere to exhale in this lineup. Thanks for the phone call, Noah, appreciate it. I remember my first first opening Day that I got to come to. It was nineteen ninety two. Darryl Strawberry and Eric Davis were supposed to be in the same outfield. It was the opening day where Rodney King was their special guest, and I almost ran into the mob that was following Rodney King on the field level there. So that was my memorable opening day at Dodgers Stadium. But Opening Day is so special. It's such a great event. And what's special about what's taking place with the Dodgers right now. It's not just about Opening Day. It's Opening weekend. So tomorrow you got the ring ceremony, and that's going to have that Opening Day feel with a little extra something special because the Dodgers, instead of just being introduced, are going to get their rings. And that was special last year and we're lucky enough to have it again this year after back to back championships and the best World Series Baseball has seen in a very long time. If ever eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Joe Sella, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing? Did I pronounce your name correctly?
Speaker 8: Hey Dave, It's Josella and Zoonie and we're sitting here in the Dodger Stadium parking lot waiting for traffic to die down. But other than that, opening Day's game was great.
Speaker 2: Is this your first Opening Day?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: No, I've been to several Opening Day Dodger games. Actually, my boyfriend zooming here has been to several Opening day Dodger games with my dad since nineteen ninety ninety one ninety two.
Speaker 2: Did you try anything you eats at Dodger Stadium tonight or did you just go with the Dodger Dogs.
Speaker 8: No, we bring in our own food. We bring in our own yeah, holders, yes, Jimmy Johns, Jimmy Johnson, and then we just get some nachos Minnesota and chill out the game starts.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, thanks a lot for coming tonight, and we look forward to seeing you be patient out there in the parking lot. Be safe getting home tonight. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat Arizona eight to two. And I know it's scary to think the Dodgers won the World Series last year, and they won ninety three games, a lot of the games that they could have won, were blown late by their bullpen. They signed Edwin Diaz for close games and save situations. We didn't get to see Edwin Diaz come out of those bullpen gates after the Dodgers made it a sixth run lead in the seventh inning. So that's something else to look forward to. A first we saw Kyle Tucker's first game, first hit, first extra base hit, first ARBI, and first run scored. So everybody at Dodgers Stadium, that's coming tomorrow night. You might see Edwin Diaz make his Dodger debut and Timmy trumpet and everything that comes with it tomorrow night. If the Dodgers are in a safe situation, I have to say this. I don't believe they're going to be in a safe situation tomorrow night either. I think the Dodgers win tomorrow Night's game by at least four or five runs. Let's go out to Stuart. Who is that Opening night? How you doing, Stuart? You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey David, I'm great, man.
Speaker 11: How are you great?
Speaker 9: To have your voice?
Speaker 8: What a time to be alive.
Speaker 2: We are living history right now when it comes to Dodger baseball.
Speaker 12: I agree, man, I took my three year old daughter and my eight month old son to his first game today, and I'm hoping that they're appreciative because I waited my whole life for this.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet, and you got to see a really good team, and arguably twenty years from now, Stuart, you could say, yeah, I saw the best offense in Dodgers' history on Opening Night.
Speaker 7: Well, that's what I.
Speaker 12: Wanted to talk about, David. I was gonna talk to you about Pahes that you mentioned on the Clubhouse Show, but you mentioned maybe the best lineup you've seen for the Dodgers in ten years. I would love to hear what lineup you have from ten years ago that comes anywhere close to this, David, because I think A j Ellis was hitting in that lineup that you're talking about ten years ago.
Speaker 2: I would say, the only other lineups that I could tell you I believe would match this is the twenty twenty or twenty twenty one Dodgers. And the reason why I say twenty twenty one is because that was the one season they had Trey Turner and Corey Seger together along with AJ Pollock, along with Mookie and Cody Bellinger. Muncie will Smith. I mean, justin Turner to me that that offense Rivals, that was the best Dodger offense offensive lineup we had seen, uh until this year. I believe just the depth of the lineup.
Speaker 12: You you have a great point every day. Trey really did kind of round it out beautifully. But uh, one last point, that's a great call, David, the uh the Paez call though, talk about underrated man twenty five years old, the arm power. I know he disappeared in the playoffs last year, but any other franchise in the BIGS would absolutely be trueling to have this guy, David, and we're hitting him eighth, ninth. He's like a complete throwaway, and that to me speaks to the strength of this team and this organization more than anything. That a guy like Andy Paez can get completely lost in the shuffle is just incredible.
Speaker 2: And I think that's where he took advantage of the fact Zach Gallan tried to sneak a curveball by him and he hung it and Paes didn't miss it. So one through nine and think about this, Stuart Tonight. Miguel Rojas got the start on his final opening day of his playing career. But when Tommy Edman returns, Tommy Edman's hitting ninth for the Dodgers. That's why I believe. I mean, this offense has the potential of scoring the most runs, maybe doing a lot of different record setting things if they stayed disciplined the way they were tonight and the way they were all spring training. There's just nowhere to turn for any picture out there.
Speaker 13: I can't wait, David, I can't wait.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 12: Thanks for having us and great to have you back.
Speaker 2: All right, Stuart, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say the nineteen or twenty one Dodgers, probably right now because they did it, are the two best Dodger offensive lineups I can remember in the last ten years. But certainly this one on paper. I mean, like I said, you got a twenty seven home run guy. That's not a two point thirty hitter. He's a two sixty to two seventy hitter last year hitting eighth for you, and you're going to have Tommy Edman hitting ninth. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have one line open right now at eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Don't miss the Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park on April fourth. Big payouts, full fields, NonStop action. Save now at Santa Anita dot com Slash Events. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, more of your phone calls. Plus I'll share some of the highlights of Clayton Kershaw's broadcasting debut in case you missed it listening to the game here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, or if you were here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, we'll share that with you as well. So we got a lot more Dodger Talk to go your phone calls Hose Mota, Plus I have one hundred dollars gift card to Superior Grocers to give away a lot to get to on this Dodger Talk opening night edition right here on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot Com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 14: Trying a battle behind one and two.
Speaker 1: Another offering from Gallon Paz lifts it in the air.
Speaker 15: Left field in deep it has gone. Andy Parez flips the scoreboard with the first Dodger home run of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Andy Piz gave the Dodgers the lead in the fifth inning off of Zach Gallon after they were trailing to nothing when Heraldo Pernomo hit a two run home run off a Yama Moto. The Dodgers would go on to beat Arizona tonight eight to two on opening Day. Eight six six, nine eighty seven is the phone in Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodger talk with you until ten o'clock tonight. Right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run and enter your name. You could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. One thing we didn't see from the Dodgers tonight was an ABS challenge, right. That's something that we missed tonight from the Dodgers. They did not challenge a pitch, a ball or strike from a hitter or Will Smith never challenged home played umpire Andy Fletcher. Corbin Carrol did use the ABS SIB system in the fourth inning, or excuse me, in the first inning, and he uh, he was right. It was a ball that was high in the strike zone. And that was the only ABS challenge that we saw tonight from either team. So that is going to be part of Major League Baseball this year, but tonight it certainly wasn't intruding on the game. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat Arizona tonight on Opening Day eight to two. Emit Sheen will be on the mound for the Dodgers tomorrow night. Tyler Glass now in the series finale on Saturday. The Dodgers have a rare Sunday off, and then we'll be back at it right here with the Guardians coming to town for a three game series before the Dodgers head out on their first road trip, which will take them to our nation's capital and the scene of last year's World Series Game six and seven, Toronto. Yeah, that's right, a rematch of last year's World Series won't take long. The Dodgers will be in Toronto on their first road trip in a couple of weeks. Wanted to get to Kershaw on NBC because he did a phenomenal job. He was sitting right next to the Dodger dougout as a third analyst orl Herscheizer, and Luis Gonzalez was in the booth. And just in case you don't know how they're working it on NBC and Sunday Night Baseball, it's not going to be Oral Herscheizer, Luis Gonzalez, and Clayton Kershaw every single Sunday night. It's going to be Jason Bennetti, the play by play guy, along with a analyst from one team and an analyst from the other team that are playing each other. So tonight it was Arizona Dodgers. They got Luis Gonzalez from the Arizona side orl Hersheiser, who is no stranger to national broadcasts for the Dodger side, and they added their newest hire, Clayton Kershaw, who I don't think he's doing every Sunday Night baseball is what I'm gathering, but he'll be there for enough and Tonight was one of the broadcasts that he's going to be part of for NBC and Peacock, and here he was really breaking down Yamamoto early in the game.
Speaker 16: He is an absolute machine. That's a great way to describe him. It's his routine, it's how he goes about his business. And the ball just comes out of his hand like a piece of art. It really is amazing. When I tell my kids to watch people pitch, Yama's right at the top of the list. I'm excited to watch this game today, and it's a weird thing, but it's pretty awesome to do here.
Speaker 4: Where do your.
Speaker 9: Eyes go as you watch him, as you tell your kids about him?
Speaker 1: What do you watch?
Speaker 2: It's just so fluid, like.
Speaker 16: It takes so much athleticism to be that fluid out there. He's so consistent with his delivery. He can make changes, he can make edits when he's missing by a little bit. And this the repertoire is unbelievable. And it starts with a split finger. So I'm excited to watch his split tonight. That's his outpitch. That's what he's gonna need against these left handed backs. So the top of the lineup and it's pretty nasty, so we'll see how they do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that was pretty good. Good for his opening hit. I mean, I think I'm out of a job. Honestly, when Kirsten takes days off, I think they're gonna hire Krushawn. Now, I'll just be honest with you. But look, the guy knows the game. He's really good, and he has such a high baseball IQ. And that's part of the reason why he was so good, because he's confident in what he's saying and the descriptive adjectives that he used to describe Yamamoto from a work of art. He's an artist basically, and he's very fluid in his motion. And the game plan that he gave came to play out because Yamamoto's fastball was the pitch that those left handed diamondbacks were really teeing off on, and he did have to use his split fingered fastball. So you learned something in that opening hit about the Dodgers starting pitcher. Whether a Dodger fan or not, you learned something about Yamamoto, and you got high praise from a future Hall of Famer. All Right. The other one that stood out to me, and this was the one thing that I was curious about the fact that not only is Krushaw making his broadcasting debut, it's not like he was up in the broadcast booth here in the press box. He was right there next to the Dodger dugout. That had to be a little uncomfortable early on.
Speaker 16: You know, I've gotten a few fist bumps like old times. You know, I'm in the kind of I'm in the twilight zone over here, you know, I'm kind of in the dugout kind of not so it's I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: Lie to you guys.
Speaker 16: This is a pretty weird feeling.
Speaker 2: But it's also still baseball, and.
Speaker 16: I've watched a lot of games from this side of the field, so I'm having a blast.
Speaker 1: They can look right through We're looking at you right now.
Speaker 2: They can look right through sort of the wiring right at you. Oh yeah, yeah, I'm in the dugout.
Speaker 16: Basically, I'm just back just.
Speaker 2: Not getting paid the same just renting. Okay, that was a nice little job at the end right there, and not getting paid the same, no doubt, Kurshaw, welcome to the media. You're not going to get paid the same as you did when you were pitching, and I was down there for the eighth and ninth innings, and by that time he was an old pro. And during that period of time, the seventh inning, it was great to see Blake Trening come out and throw ninety seven. Andy Po has made a great catch on the first batter that he was facing, the catcher Gabriel Moreno, and Po has made a great diving catch to rob Moreno of what would have been a leadoff bleeder in the seventh inning, and that allowed trying to to just relax, and he was thrown ninety seven, and it seemed like he had some of the same type of movement on his sweeper tonight, which was encouraging as well. But forget about little old me. We had analysts Clayton Kershaw breaking that down on NBC.
Speaker 16: Blake looks healthy right now. I think that's the biggest thing for him. His arm angle looks a little bit lower, which is good for him. That means a sinker is gonna sink. And you can already see the below. It's ninety six, ninety seven, which I don't remember him at a time last year being that high, So that's huge. And then you know with the sinker. That ball was a little bit up to aeron auto right there. But when he's throwing that right with his sweeper like that one right there, like you said, it's it's almost unheittable as a righty and you know lefty, he's going to work in a cutter a little bit too at times. And they really need this guy at the back end this year and I expect a big.
Speaker 2: Year from him. Hey, very good succinct and a great a great analysis there from Kershaw. So he did a great job, and I'm I'm interested to see how he does when he's calling teams that are not named the Dodgers or anybody in the NL West. I would love to hear him and whether or not he has the same type of insights for other teams as he does for the Dodgers. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bruce and Culver City. Hi, Bruce, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey David, thanks for taking my call and looking forward to another great team for the Dodgers. Listen to you with the Dodgers, dug got Thank you?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 7: And I really appreciate you playing those clips of Kershaw.
Speaker 4: But what I think you may have not.
Speaker 7: Heard because you didn't listen or watch the entire game like I did on NBC is oral. Hirsheiser is just a class act because he was.
Speaker 4: Most of the time.
Speaker 7: Orl would start to make a comment and immediately throw it to Kersh for his input. So he made it seamless for Kersh to be part of the conversation. And I can't say enough about what a great guy Earl Hersheiser is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was a very unselfish broadcast partner tonight. You're right he did a good job of teeing up Kershaw, that's for sure. Yeah, no doubt about it. Bruce Orl Hirschei's is a pro. He's been doing this a while. He has nothing to prove as a broadcaster. He's one of the best out there. Thanks for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to k dubb kW. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 17: Man, I'm so happy to be here. Pumped up the party. Crazy longtime listener, first time caller. We got something excited here in Los Angeles. I'm excited about what I saw tonight. The best lineup in Major League Baseball history is what I say. You said ten years we had a better lineup. No, this is the best lineup I've ever seen. And Dodger fans we out to get excited because we are on that road to three Pete David Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: kW. Since you're a longtime listener and first time caller, I'm gonna bribe you congratulations. You've won one hundred dollars gift cards to Superior Grossers. You go and enjoy, feed the family, and I love your energy. You have that energy when you go down on those grocery aisles at Superior Grocers and for another chance to.
Speaker 13: Win away you have to do.
Speaker 2: Hey, you can win again. All you have to do is listen Sunday through Thursday to the games in the top of the sixth inning for Andre Ethier to queue to call, and you could win another one hundred dollars gift card to Superior Grocers and stream. Yeah there you go.
Speaker 4: O k W.
Speaker 2: That's all you gotta do. Thank you, Yah, beautiful, beautiful, you earned it. Hold on all right, Colin, We'll get all your information and don't forget stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio at Keyword Am five to seventy LA Sports. So thank you to our friends at Superior Grocers. Let's go out to David. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing David?
Speaker 13: I'm doing great. How are you?
Speaker 17: David?
Speaker 13: Also a first time, long time? But where is Superior Grocers? Anyways?
Speaker 7: I grew up in LA.
Speaker 6: Where is it?
Speaker 2: We're all over, They're all over, multiple locations, David.
Speaker 13: Okay, well that's cool. Anyways, what I mean it was great to see Tanner Scott it's well tonight.
Speaker 9: What do you think of his outing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a low leverage situation. It was a great situation to bring him in to gain some confidence and you know, get guys out. So I like what Dave Roberts did right there. I thought it was a perfect situation. A six run lead, low pressure, get him in there, get him feeling good about himself to start the year.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I thought it was good. The other thing I was going to ask, is you know with Evan, she didn't going tomorrow night. I think he has a chance to get at least fifteen wins this year. He looked so good at the n of last year coming back from that injury. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with this offense, I think a lot of Dodger pitchers have a chance to get fifteen wins if they stay healthy. Yeah, no doubt about it. Yeah, I love Emmett agree. I mean he's got great stuff. He's up there if you look at the advanced metrics and Chase rate with rate, he's up there with names like Trek Scoobel. So he has the stuff to do it. And I expect the Dodgers to win by at least four or five runs tomorrow. Thanks for the phone call, David, appreciate it. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. Dodgers beat Arizona tonight eight to two behind Yamamoto, who went six innings tonight through ninety five pitches. Wasn't his sharpest, but he did have his split fingered fastball working, he did have his cutter working, and he found a way. He competed and got the job done. And it's a lot easier to pitch when you have this type of offense behind you. Trust me. Let's go out to Brad who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Brad, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey Dave, how's it going man? Happy Opening Day?
Speaker 2: Same to you, Happy Opening Day. I feel like I'm getting, by the way to the point of a Larry David. There's a certain limit on people saying Happy Opening Day to me, like a Happy New Year. I feel like we're at that point now. You can't say Happy Opening Day at nine at night, Altimore.
Speaker 9: I'll go ahead and rescind that.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 9: I'm extremely sorry. My family and I were there for the second straight year. Last year we obviously walked it off against the Tigers and Scooball, which was awesome. But this year to takeaways two oh yeah, oh yeah, two biggest takeaways this year we have Andy pajez A thirty homer bat batting eighth that is absolutely absurd like this, He is the catalyst of the offense tonight. And I mean, I just I've never seen anything with like a lineup like this that has a batter like that in the eighth spot. I did see in the WBC Venezuela was batting Curio in the ninth spot, So I think I think the low part of the lineup this year is like teams are going to start putting better, better players down there.
Speaker 2: But well that was the world base on Classic. These are real games.
Speaker 9: Well, well, I you know, I can't argue.
Speaker 2: With that, but I will say this about Andy pa Has hitting eighth. You're right, no team. I mean, he would be hitting cleanup, hitting third, hitting second on at least twenty five other teams. And what he's going to benefit from is pictures thinking they can ex sale and him and bushing them like he did in that fifth inning. He's going to benefit from that.
Speaker 9: You're exactly right. He's he's gonna he's gonna put up thirty Holmers this year. I I I'm with no doubt in my mind. The second the second takeaway I had from tonight low obviously with the last color mentioned Tanner Scott low low leverage situation. I don't think I saw Tanner Scott one single time last year through three the first pitch strikes the three straight batters like he did tonight.
Speaker 4: I am, I am. That's got me fired up, Dave, Yeah, not often.
Speaker 2: I mean, Tanner Scott is set up for success with Edwin Diaz being the closer. Now he can go back to just being that setup guy and not feel the weight of the world coming in in the ninth inning for the world champion Dodgers. So I think he's done a great job of trying to flush last year and is in a better spot in a lot of different ways. Thanks for the phone call, Brad appreciated. Happy New Year. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Uh yeah, everybody's like, hey, happy opening Day, Happy Opening Day. It's like, yeah, yeah, happy Opening Day. Yeah, it's only been the fiftieth person to tell me that.
Speaker 13: Ish.
Speaker 2: You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Ish.
Speaker 16: DV?
Speaker 6: What's going on? Man?
Speaker 2: How are you doing living the good life ish with the Dodgers haters gonna hate?
Speaker 6: I feel you, I feel you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, we're stoked.
Speaker 6: We just got back here with my brother Isaac, my sister Kanya, and we came to the opening day and it was amazing, dude, everything from top to bottom. We had an amazing time. And uh, did you like, Yeah, we did the fighter pilots that they are the fighter planes.
Speaker 13: That was pretty cool, man.
Speaker 6: We like feel it in your chest up, you know, flying over and all the music of course, seeing the team come out the blue carpet was pretty awesome. But you know, a lot of us too, we have a question, you know, in the pavilions as far as like the scoreboard that goes around the stadium, like you know, what's up with that is? Are they going to bring that back?
Speaker 2: Or you know, yeah, like bos the strikes, there was a shipping issue. Yeah, I guess the LED boards are are stuck on a ship in the Long Beach Port. There's like there was like a mother nature issue. There's a big storm, I guess. So yeah, the LEDs will be here. But yeah, they're coming back. They're just a little delayed thanks to mother nature.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, no, no, no, good good, Yeah, we'll be there. I appreciate you, DV.
Speaker 2: That's the big Hey, when you guys said you had a consensus question, that was it, like, hey, what's going on with the video boards around the stadium? That was the big think tank question amongst all of you.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was because like you know, you're you're there, you're having a good time, you're chatting it up, and you lose track of a ball strike here and there. So yeahund hey, that's legit.
Speaker 2: You guys are locked in. I appreciate that. Thanks for the phone call. Ish eight sixty six seven two five seventy. I feel like that's when somebody your friend comes up to you and says, hey, I got something to tell you, and you're thinking, oh boy, this guy like crashed my car or this guy stole my money, and then all he tells you is, yeah, I forgot I forgot the six pack of modello back at home. You're like, that's it, that's all the problem is. That's what Ish was doing right there. I thought there was a real issue. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Levi. Hi, Levi, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: How you doing, Hey David, thank you so much for having us on.
Speaker 2: What a lot of group calls tonight? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Well, those those are my boys, we Sam and Hank. It was their first opening day, so it's definitely a special night for our family.
Speaker 2: Take care of your dad, Take care of your dad for bringing you to opening day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you. So we were dieiastic in that car.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 10: We're always having a good time. And we were very happy with for k W because he was a very a great caller and had great vibes.
Speaker 2: So we we like that, so try to do.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't have that kind of energy. I'm an old Yeah, okay, we're working on we go. Okay, so pay I'm on the pa Hees bandwagon. We loved watching his kind of breakout season last year. We think back to the World Series with some regularity, with that catch in Game seven where he took out Kik. He's just an awesome player and we hope that this year is the year that he really gets a consistent year. Throughout the year, wondering what the what the scouting report is on him and what it's going to take to get him to stay consistent through the end of the year. Yeah, we don't want him to flame out.
Speaker 2: All right, He's not going to flame out. I feel like everybody's just holding on to him. Only having four hits in the postseason last year, but his regular season was really good for a rookie year. That's got him starting in center field for the World champions. His defense shaky the first couple of weeks of the season, but he put in a lot of work, got into a routine, and his offense took off once his defense settled in. So I don't believe Andy Paiez had a bad year last season. He just had, like many rookies, a struggle in the postseason. He only drew one walk last year during the postseason, only had four hits. But if you look at his regular season last year, it was really good. Twenty seven home runs, eighty six RBIs he hit two seventy two. The only thing you would love to see is for him to have a little bit more plate discipline. I mean, he did cost Emmanual class A and all those gamblers a lot of money with a ball that was way outside the strike zone in Cleveland that he swung at. Even his teammates give him a hard time for that. So I would say that's the only thing you would want out of Andy Paiez. But you don't want to take away the aggressiveness because that's what we say saw in the fifth inning tonight when he hit that hanging curveball from Zach Gallen. Dodgers beat Arizona tonight eight to two, a four run fifth inning, a four run seventh inning. Miguel Rojas got the start tonight at second base, his final opening day in Major League Baseball. He is retiring after the season ends, whether or not the Dodgers three pete or not, he is calling it a career. So it was great that Dave Roberts gave him the opening day start. And speaking of Miguel Rojas, he is going to join us this Saturday at the WSS and Boyle Heights from noon to one o'clock. I'll be hosting Dodger Talk from eleven to one this Saturday at WSS and Boyle Heights. The address is two seven one one East Olympic Boulevard. We'll have Dodger Talk from eleven to one. Miguel Rojas, World Series Hero will be taking photos from noon to one at the ws A Spoil Heights this Saturday. So we look forward to seeing you out there.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get back to your phone calls in a moment, but we want to check in with Jose Mota, who called the game tonight on Dodgers Spanish Radio with Luis Cochito Cruz. I'm not going to say happy Opening Day, Jose. I'm just going to say it was a great night start to finish on opening night for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Dave, Happy Opening day to you, my friends. Stop it questioning you that. I'm not gonna stop it. I mean it's special, man, Come on, and you've been a part of it. No, I mean old joking, Happy opening Day. One thing that you noticed today, David, is this that Yo should know. We have a multun control, a deep lineup, and that is why as a starting picture for the Dodgers. Now, if you have a start first three innings, you want to be in the game as long as posble yes or no.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt with this offense, because you know they can come back and score.
Speaker 4: For you exactly anything. Yama malto. He take the fact that he threw twenty one pitches in the first inning and a couple of very interesting plays to me, and I'm before we talk about the offense. But Yamamoto has had a tendency going back to two years ago where he was not aware of runners at first base breaking early. He gave up seven stolen bases two years ago, and guys that broke before he even started going home. He was not aware. He was not aware of the game, the speed of the game in that respect where people are saying, hey, stamp by off throw the second base. He's out last year, halfway through the season. He got better today, Dave. In the first inning, he stepped off and got Predomant. That's an inning changer. Number two, Kyle Tucker defense again. That ball Predoma hits in that first inning down that line, that's double last year, maybe a triple for Perdomo. Kyle Tucker gets the line as he did, and he saw him sprink training and fires away. He's got the reputation, guys have told me when he goes to his left, guys really respect the fact that he can spin it, throw with the West and baseball, and that's how it all started. That's why run prevention becomes so important. We had the tough offense because obviously the offen is gonna come back, but keep those guys where they're at, and that's how the game got started.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. And even Dave Roberts when the Dodgers signed Kyle Tucker and had the press conference here at Dodgers Stadium that day one, he challenged him to be a better outfielder, go back to being the outfield where we saw him in Houston, and Tucker in spring training, Jose even admitted, I gotta be better at jumping on those balls down the line and not let a single turn into a double. So that was a great example of that right away.
Speaker 4: I saw this guy make his debut against the angel for you know, for three or four years he just tortured Angels, picking on the outfield, playing that short fence, in the short wall and assistants in Houston. He played everything as good as anybody. Then you saw playing Anaheim, they played the same way. So uh, just be aware that this guy, as he mentioned, came with the objective getting better known. That not every eyesight is on him because the super start, but nonetheless there's that itch in that draft become great and I think he's in the white group, and today was a good start for him.
Speaker 2: When you look at this Dodger offense, what stood out to you the most about how they scored their eight runs tonight, I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Go to the fact that they put the ball in play a lot. Dodger struck out of told what four times today, That's number one. The deepest fact that we saw from the very first game in spring training against the Andels and Tempe and talking to tay oscar about this. Nave Roberts and pa is a member of that first game, and in Tempe they're like, that's part of what we want to do. It's not just the knowing that we all were power team, but we need to be better with two strikes. We need to be better with two outs. And they were great with two outs last year. But you think about all the pitches that they were able to spoil today, how they ran counts, why they're counts, and it all adds up to this deep lineup laid being able to guide you and kind of gauge you as a picture. I mean, as good as Gallon was going, you thought, well, at some point when they figure them out, it's going to happen. And there it was exactly what happened. But I gotta go give it to the guy who two strikes using the big part of the middle put the field going the other way too.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talk about some of these guys, and even Freddie Freeman said it before the game, so many of these Dodger hitters could hit third. You got Will Smith hitting fifty at three RBIs tonight, Pie Has who hit twenty seven home runs, hitting eighth how do pitchers navigate this offense? So say there's nowhere to exhale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's the point in which you want to make. As a pictuer said, I'm going to be aggressive and get ahead of you. But the Dodgers are a team that if you if you noticed when things are going well and not necessarily discret which we haven't seen you know long enough, you have the big samplifize. But it's preaching that if you had number three hitter on your be the number three hitter in that spot, whatever it takes. But remember there's somebody behind and do the same. Don't carry it all on you. For pitchers and navigates for this day, the best thing is the quality for a strike is going to be imperative to neutralize them a little bit. Pitching inside is going to be very important to get him on their heels a little bit more. But it's same pitching inside nowadays is a has been lost. Guys can repeat inside. And these guys are so smart the patterns, what everything they see on the reports that sooner or later, as we saw today, they're going to make adjustments and lay off that tough bricket ball from both sides of the battle's box and be able to play the smallest baseball that eventually turns into bigger at bats as a different pie is here.
Speaker 2: Tonight when you look at the Diamondbacks bullpen construction, how do they not have a left handed, high leverage reliever when they play in the same division as the Dodgers. That is a glaring hole in their roster and their bullpen tonight.
Speaker 7: Is hard to believe.
Speaker 4: There's many lefties they could help them, guys that were label available. I'm gonna just say that perhaps Brian Kaplan believes, and my occasion obviously is a prisoner on baseball operations and the manager that they have enough bright handed pitchers they can go out and have, you know, split against right lefties. So we'll see how the players out. That was a big issue for the Dbacks. There was so many leaves last year and that was they probably there are only three games out of the wildcard last year, but the open was the biggest issue for them. So let's see how it all works all day. But they do you want to at least have the presence and give something to the other manager thinking about if you have a lefty, it doesn't have to be a super lefty that some of the leaf can come out there and just turn the lineup around and see what happens about fill the Dodgers, I don't think they care very much about who's available who's not, because considerable they probably are doing. How he's going to struct the lineup with consecutive lefties. It's like, this is what we have, and we have guys that can handle left as anieties, and whoever they have on the other side, they will make adjustments.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let you go, who's speaking of the bullpen? I know it was somewhat low leverage situations, but how big was it to get Blake Trining and Tanner Scott in this game tonight and for them to feel good about themselves when they went back to the dugout?
Speaker 4: Oh they don't. That's big. I mean for Tanner Scott to have the wipeout slider today, not just to put away guys, but for strike one on the weak swings that we saw, especially from a guy like Cordman Carroll. I was able to bury somebody on Perdomo and then get moreno to fly out. That's that's big. But strike one, don't get lazy, don't get like a basical with your finishing release, stay on top. And for you know, for Tenner Scott tonight, David, this is a safe situation. This is the mentality he told me he's going to have coming into the season. It doesn't matter what the score is, it's a safe situation. Glutton, just startle over again. And for Blake trying and it's curs set so nicely. Yes, lower am angled ninety seven which rutralizes guys diving into the Look for that sweeper on the right side and then that same ninety think on the outside middle out to lefty. It's gonna be one that's gonna douce a lot of soft contact, big starts for them, and they're gonna be very important for this ball time.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in. Can't wait to see you tomorrow night at the stadium for a ring ceremony night. That'll be special as well. So we'll check in with you after the game tomorrow as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, then go happy opener there he goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast and part of Opening Day for the Dodger players. The Dodgers social media team had both World Series trophies set up on their way into the dug into the clubhouse before the game. And how about this, sho Hey Otani gifted every player on the team valued four thousand dollars sake go watch with a note inside that said, let's three peete. A few players showed me theirs, and Miguel Rojas talked about it on the field, and Dave Roberts I guess also gifted a bottle of whiskey to his players as well. But how about Otani not only gifting the watch but also writing a note Let's go for the three peat. And that's what makes him so special. Not only does he continually push himself, but he's continually pushing his teammates with little messages like that and by his work ethic and the Dodgers certainly need that type of leader in that way to set the tone. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat Arizona tonight eight to two on Opening Night. Let's go out to Jose who is at Opening Night tonight? How you doing, Jose, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Doing great.
Speaker 11: Thank you for having us first time long time, trying to keep the energy here as we still in the parking lot, trying to get out of the stadium. Nothing like first day, opening day at Dodger Stadium for civity.
Speaker 4: So just trying to keep the energy here in the car right everybody?
Speaker 2: Wow, another group phone call? How many? How many people you got in the car tonight? Hose. That's an expensive bill with all those people in your car.
Speaker 11: Oh, you have no idea and they like to see you too, so if but if we'll work it. We got to pay those that o' TNI contract out, so we don't mind doing our share.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is a special time to be at Dodger Stadium. They're not just games there events and today was certainly an event, definitely.
Speaker 11: And the other thing that I wanted to comment on is the actual game. It's nice to see the Dodgers put those crooked numbers out and then we're gonna have those those guns where it looked like they had a little bit of a slow start, but that's what I look forward to. At least on paper, it looks like we.
Speaker 4: Have that ability.
Speaker 11: I think you talked about it earlier, that long lineup having buckets at the bottom, of the lineup, I think is a luxury. So just being able to see this type of quality team and field on the on the product on the field is really nice to see and get behind. So it was good to see everybody come in pitch, just come in through their job and looking forward to a really good season and more of this to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt and ring ceremony tomorrow night. Jose, thanks a lot, and thanks to the family. They gotta treat you good the rest of the year. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And opening days obviously stand out amongst other games during the regular season, and just this will be my fifteenth season hosting Dodger Talk, and there's two other opening days that really stand out amongst the others. I mean obviously starting the seasons in Korea and Tokyo or highlights, but here at Dodgers Stadium, going back to twenty thirteen Opening Day against at that time the defending San Francisco Giants. It was a scoreless time in the seventh or eighth inning and Clayton Kershaw was pitching a shutout and he hit a home run a straightaway center field, and this place exploded, and that was the difference in the game. They went on to score a few more runs in the later innings, but it was a scoreless tie, and he was pitching another Kershaw masterpiece with no run support, and he took it into his own hands with a home run to center field, which turned out to be his only career Major League home run. And the other one, like I mentioned earlier, was against these Diamondbacks back on March twenty ninth, twenty nineteen. I was looking at the highlights again this morning when I was at Blue Bottle and Woodland Hills. I was just trying to remember exactly how many home runs and how many runs they scored that day. They beat Arizona twelve to four. They beat Zach Grank, they hit eight home runs. Seeger hit one, Turner hit one, Keyky Hernandez and Jock Peterson each hit two. And I feel like this one is going to stand out as well. It was a memorable opening night here at the Let's go out to the mid Wiltshire area. Rob, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Rob?
Speaker 14: Excellent and kudos to Kersha, But really to talk about the three amigos, the Three Musketeers of radio. You gotta be gi him. A shout out to Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner, and Steve Nelson. I tell you Monday mo is just like a gem keeps coming back. Steiner he did just as good a job as he did last year in the opener. And I tell you Steve Nelson, I mean he paints with an acoustic paint brush, very vivid color of the game in radio. So you got a good team there, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Good team and great to have Charlie back. And when they say playing in pain, I don't think anybody played in more pain today than Charlie Steiner. And he still showed up and did a solid three innings today and it was great to have him back in the booth. And Rick Monday is the longest active tenured Dodger broadcaster. He took over in the booth the midway through the ninety three season and here he is in twenty twenty six. See, he definitely should be appreciated. And this year is the fiftieth anniversary of Rick Monday saving the American flag right here at Dodger Stadium. That anniversary is coming up at the end of April. Let's go out to Freddie. Who is that opening night? Hi Freddy? Is this a group call as well? Or is this just Freddy?
Speaker 11: Oh buddy, we're we'll home now now, but I will with My wife is from Japan and she loved it.
Speaker 4: That was my buddy Bruce and my buddy Rick. We're all retired to ups strivers and we love the game and there's nothing like being a Dodger stadium.
Speaker 9: And love all that you do.
Speaker 6: Dave and go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for the phone call. Freddie will end it right there. It was a great hour of Dodger talk. Happy to be back. It's going to be a tremendous season, and more importantly, it's going to be an entertaining season. Tonight was just an opening act that is going to leave you wanting more each and every night. I truly believe that. And tomorrow Emmitt Shehan is going to be on the mound for the Dodgers going up against Ryan Nelson. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven ten, and you can stream all the games on the iHeartRadio app if you're in the LA area. And also obviously listen right here on five to seventy LA Sports. Don't forget tomorrow. If you're coming to the game. Auto gates open at two point thirty because of the special pregame ceremony, the ring ceremony that has taking place before first pitch tomorrow, So it's kind of like Opening Day right with the pregame festivities and my guy, Brad Paisley is performing the national anthem. That's right, He's going to be out here, and Kershaw, we'll be back out here tomorrow, this time being celebrated as a member of the twenty five Dodgers, back to back World Series champion Dodgers, So we'll see him more in a casual attire than we saw him today in a suit and tie. I feel like the last time I saw him in a suit and tie, well, there were two other times, the White House trip last year, and when he first got drafted and he had a suit that was like two sizes too big. When he came out here with Logan White after he was drafted back back whatever year that was. Geez, it was so long ago. Anyway, it was great to see Kershaw, future Hall of Famer. Awesome toess hopefully see him more around Dodgers Stadium this year because he means so much to this franchise, and I'm sure he's going to be around in some capacity or another. So kershaw Ring ceremony tomorrow, Brad Paisley performing the national anthem, and we'll have all of that coverage for you beginning beginning at six o'clock. Thanks to colling Ee back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers on Opening Night defeat the Diamondbacks eight to two. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next. See you