Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network pay Corps. Pay Corps proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering El best Care for the Best Fans, Kettering Hell official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it going on this Monday night.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Lance Pacalister along with Dave Lapham and Dave not a bad way to hit the mini by when you go in with the victory. I woke up Sunday morning and I had that thought, Wow, I kind of like waking up on Sundays. Withere, the Bengals have already won. There's nothing to worry about. And it was a game that had a little bit of this and a little bit of that and a one they desperately needed. Nice to get in the win column for the first time after a four game losing streak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no doubt, Lance, I mean, a four game losing streak wears on you, you know, don't I don't care who you are, what level of football you're playing, what sport you're playing. You know, I mean baseball big one hundred and sixty two. You know, four games is nothing. It's one series, maybe not even that sometimes, but in football, I mean it's big. You know, you only get in certain number of games, seventeen games. Now, they've got it at in the regular season to go out and perform and show what you got as a football team and as an individual player, and you don't want to waste any of them. And they felt like they had wasted a month or so of their season. But then in comes Joe Flacco and he comes, you know, he answers the bell they put out the emergency call, you know, and Joe Flacco picked up the phone and the other end and said, yeah, I'm all in, I'm ready.
Speaker 5: To do this.
Speaker 4: And you know, he knew all about the Cincinnati Bengals. He played against him many times. He had a good idea what Zach Taylor was about, and what kind of offense the Bengals had, and what kind of offensive weapons. More importantly, the Bengals had, particularly ones to throw to, and he has a mirriad of those. There's no doubt I mean Jamar Chase is the best in football. Another sixteen catchers hundred and sixty one yards in a touchdown. Te Higgins lit it up. Chase Brown rush for over one hundred yards. Eleven carries hundred and eight What kidding. This isn't little league football, man, This isn't Pop Warner. This is the NFL. Eleven carries one hundred and eight yards. So now you know you have guys that in the offensive line. Take about Dylan Fairchild, young guard take a bow man, ran the ball well, ran behind him.
Speaker 6: Some.
Speaker 4: They ran in the interior between the guards and Senator Ted Carriss multiple times. Riisener did a good job over there at right guard. And they performed well. They really did offensively. I think every single position group, every guy in every single position group can take a bow. I thought their performance was much better than normal, much better than average, I should say. Defensively, it was up and down. You know, I guess inconsistent might be a fear way to put it. They showed up, you know, they were ready to play. It wasn't like that when they had issues. It wasn't due to lack of effort or lack of emotion or you know, I don't think it was preparational, though sometimes it looked like it out there. You know, sometimes guys were i mean really open, big time open. That should never happen at this level in the National Football League, and Al Golden has to concern himself with that, and I'm sure he didn't like it one bit.
Speaker 3: David feels like this is almost the beginning of like a third season within a season. You went through the first phase with Joe and his injury and all the emotions that came with it, and then Jake Browning in the thought that okay, Jake can carry him for a while, then his struggles, then the transition out to a third season, which feels like there's a new juice and energy of looking around going all right, for all we've been through, if you look at the division, if you look at the AFC, we're still in this thing, and we got a quarterback we can ride right now for a while.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Joe Flacco Lance has been you know, a huge shot of confidence in everybody's arm. You know, players, head coach, coordinators, position coaches, everybody. Now they feel like, Okay, we got a guy that's done this before we got a guy that understands what it takes to do this. And by doing this, I mean, you know, have a winning record well above five hundred. Maybe it gets you in as a wild card, maybe you win the division. But the big, you know, the big prize, the big banana course, is the super Bowl. If you can win a playoff game and go to the division, win a division playoff game, go to the conference championship game, and then go to the super Bowl, that would be huge. I mean, this team has been there three times, hasn't won it yet. It would be ironic. I think if Joe Flacco comes to Cincinnati and uh, in less than a week's time, you know, puts up a big victory. I mean, this thing was huge. I mean you can't overstate how big this victory was. Puts a big victory victory against arch rival Pittsburgh Steelers. AFC North Division title basically in the works on the way.
Speaker 5: This game.
Speaker 4: They'll look back on this game and it'll be like a watershed game, you know. I think it'll be like if in fact, they have the season they're hoping to have and they finish well above five hundred and do the things I already talked about this game will be Yep, that Pittsburgh game. That was the one. I mean, shoot, we signed Joe Flacco in less than a week's time. He's out there, you know, running the whole offense and understanding the complexities of that offense. And I think what they did do I think the coaches actually take about I think they made a fairly complex offense simple. You know, they there's simple components in it, and I think they emphasize those big.
Speaker 3: Time stadium wise, places packed, white out, looked great on TV, looked great in person that looked around and thought, not many Steelers here.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that. It was a Bengal crowd.
Speaker 3: It was loud and it it enjoyed that on Monday or on Thursday night, it sure did.
Speaker 4: I mean I thought that crowd was a huge factor in the game. I mean they showed up loud and proud. I mean they were ready to celebrate, and you know they I think they were curious as to this quarterback Joe Flackhamam. And we know we know about him. We played against him and we've had mixed success. He's had more success than we have. Uh, let's see what he can do for us against the UH, the hated but respected Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 4: And he went out there and UH and did his thing. I'll tell you he threw the ball exceedingly well I thought he did. The ball came out of his hand very quickly. He made unbelievably quick reads. He was sure of his reads, very confident in what he was looking at, and confident in himself, and got the ball out of his hand quickly with velocity RPMs on that bad boy, very active down the field twenty five thirty yards, you know, hitting the receiver's left shoulder when he had to, right hip when he had to, whatever the case may be. He was putting it in very very small spots.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: He was pinpointing the ball down the football field with the accuracy that he has. He's a very talented thrower passer of the football. There is no question about that.
Speaker 3: A couple of forty something quarterbacks doing their thing on a national stage, and even down to the final play when Rogers rolls out. Everything to me went like slow motion, like I've seen Rogers do this before, and this Hail Murray has worked before. And as the ball is going through the air. Everything just kind of slow down in your watch. Somebody bat that baby down and they did and they they hang on and win again.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was like super slow mo. You know that.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh my god, is he going to do it again? Because he's done it. He's done it before, that's for sure. Like you've said, I mean, he's he's unkenny how he can get that that done? But he played He played a really solid game too. I mean, like you said, two guys forty years old, forty years old or more, putting up the numbers that they did, the way they did it, how they played the game, how they led, how they led their teammates. And you know, both of them take a bow, but Joe flaccall can take a bigger bow.
Speaker 3: You you touched on it, and let's touch on in the next segment. Some credit for Zach and Dan Pitcher and Justin Roscotti getting Joe Flacco up to speed, getting him ready, figuring out what he likes, and also Duke Tobin who winds up flipping a fifth round pick for a sixth round pick and brings in Joe Flacco. And look, there's no secret, Mike Tomlin made his thoughts very clear last week, like what are the Browns doing?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: Why are the Cleveland Browns giving the Beggals Joe Flacco? And when we saw why, he was a little bit worried about that. Let's talk about some credit due as we continue. He's Dave Lappaman, Glance Cas Bengals on and the Bengals Radio networking seven hundred WLW walking back to the Bengals line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW Lions but Cantleister Dave Blapham, working our way through three big hours of all things Bengals conversation. We'll get into the Jets this weekend's opponent a little bit later on in the show as well. Dave, you touched on credit in the first segment, and let's expand that. Let's first go big picture Duke Tobin. And there's a great piece of Monday Morning Quarterback by Albert Breer of how the Bengals after the Detroit loss had started looking at quarterbacks and initially had a list of ten, and they narrowed it down and they were looking for somebody who was going to be a quick study, who could work in their offense. Who knew the division, and Duke Tobin pulls the trigger and Trey It flips a fifth round pick for a sixth round pick to get Joe Flacco. It looks like a genius move right now, but Flacco, I mean, I don't know that they're among anybody else. They would have considered anybody who could have as smoothly slid in on a short week when he arrived and then done the quick turnaround to the DIVISI rival and the Steelers and get it downe like Joe Flacco got it done.
Speaker 4: I agree with you. I mean, I think I think Joe Flacco. Obviously he's been around, he's he's got a bunch of years uh service in the National Football League, and he's played very very good football. I mean the guy, uh you know, m v P type football and in some instances, so he's a he's a guy that that understands the game of football and he can assimilate offenses quickly. And that's what they were looking for. Duke Tobin and his scouting department, they you know, put a laundry list of requirements together and obviously that was first and foremost. We need somebody to get up to speed. Quickly because we want somebody now, uh, Jake Browning, we gave the opportunity to and then he he kind of you know, did not perform to the level of expectation and unfortunately, you know, kind of just spit the bit, gave it up, gave up the the opportunity that he was afforded, and somebody to step in right away. And for him to be able to do it as quickly as he did is remarkable. It really is. It's truly remarkable. I think credit should go to Zach, should go to Dan Pitcher, should go to you know, all the offensive coaches teammates for you know, making life easier for him.
Speaker 5: He does.
Speaker 4: He let's face it, he's got the the the plus coming to Cincinnati of throwing the football to like a dynamic trio of receivers, not just a receiver, but multiples, you know. And I think also, uh give a lot of credit to his wife for the help that she gave him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean, here he is driving down from Cleveland. They get him a car and a driver and to his wife or a backseat whatever seat they're in, and they're just she's grilling, she's grilling about the Cincinnati Bengals offense. I'll give you a formation, you give me the play. I'll give you a play, Give me the formation, give me any nuances with the play, you know, if there's any motion or change the strength or whatever the case may be. For him to do what he did in such a short period of time, it took him a little while, you know, to to you know, crank it up, get the juices flow and get the blood flowing a little bit. But when he did, man, he really was magnificent.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that even he said on Thursday night, there's still some plays that he didn't quite get all of from Zach and the headset or was talking about Zach's Zach was joking about his own Oklahoma accent and how it wasn't quite getting to him. And he went to the line and he said, they made it work, and they laughed as they went to the sidelines.
Speaker 2: The number of times.
Speaker 3: Maybe the full play wasn't there, the formation was quite right, but a veteran he is, they still were able to make it work. There was no panic, there was no you know, time out, I need to figure this out. They just figured it out on the fly, and that's what a veteran does right.
Speaker 4: And the plays that ended in the letter F we're the ones that were a problem. Like Flaco couldn't he couldn't hear it. He couldn't understand what what is the word? So is this a code game or something?
Speaker 5: What are we doing here? This is I don't have time for this.
Speaker 4: I need I need to break the huddle and get to the line of scrimmer so I can have some time with the line of scrimmage and need to check the play and check.
Speaker 5: From one to another.
Speaker 4: So when you when you factor all that in, it really is it's a it's a it's a great story. It's probably one of the Alvin Preer would probably agree it's one of the better stories in the National Football League right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to think of the quick turnaround and the results from it, and just you know, you gotta you gotta trust your coach, and your coaches have to know what it's that classic, figure out what he likes, what he doesn't like, throw out some of the stuff, let's maybe massage some of the stuff. And it looks like he's comfortable. He's you know, when you operate at the level he did on Thursday, night on eight days rest or eight days in the system, you're doing.
Speaker 4: Something absolutely and uh, you know, the coaches they have to have a respect for his football IQ, his football mind, his football intelligence, and even if he's only got like parts of it and he's missing like a little component, figure it out and get it, get it put together. You played a lot of football. We trust you, you know, and get it. Get that part of it done. But I think the other thing, the big thing that he gives his teammates is hope, you know. And now all of a sudden, everybody's you know, before the game watching him warm up, They're like.
Speaker 5: WHOA, looks pretty good man.
Speaker 4: This might this might work out, This might be this might be a lot of fun. And then what he did during the course of the game and the adjustments he had to make, and the adversity he had to overcome and just kept overcoming it again and again and again. Uh, and putting points up on the board. I mean, that's you know, to put thirty on the board is that's that's extraordinary. So now you come in the locker room, you're filing off the field and.
Speaker 5: Was saying, man flackah song becomes a real deal. Man.
Speaker 4: He's legit. Joe Flacco is the man. And now he has a presence in that locker room. When you when you walked into that locker room after the game, you could feel that you could feel him taking over a very prominent position and role in that football team, not only as a player, but as a leader. And you know, he's been a captain. He has got leadership. He's according to players and coach that I've talked to, he's just a good dude.
Speaker 5: I mean, he.
Speaker 4: Doesn't have a you know, like a malicious bone in his body kind of thing. You know, he wants everybody to do well. He wants everybody to succeed. He wants to, you know, sing around the campfire little Kumbaya Dave.
Speaker 3: He also seems good at doing something as simple as bailing on a play when it's not there. He'll throw it into the ground and throw it out of bounds. He sees it, recognizes it quickly enough to say it's not there initially. I'm not going to extend this play and create the potential for a turnover. I'm going to live to play another down. Let's go next down, bingo. I agree with one hundred percent LANs. I mean, you know football, You've watched a lot of it. He does not put the ball in jeopardy. It's like, you know, if this is close, throwing it away or I'm gonna put it in a spot that's going to be difficult for my receiver to make a play on it.
Speaker 4: But he's the only one that can make a difficult play on it, you know. And uh and and and I think the other thing is, like you said, man does he make quick decisions. I mean, he scans that field and knows what he's looking at. And you know they start in cover two and then rotate to cover one, or you know they'll play cover three or man across the board, whatever the case may be. He is on it like now, is no no wasted time whatsoever. And and that's a that's a big, big plus. And I think that part of his game. I think that And then watching him when his teammates watched him throw the football, their confidence and Joe Flaco just went through the roof.
Speaker 3: All right, hang tight, we're up and running. We've got plenty of ground to cover. We talked about Joe Flacco throwing the ball. Let's talk about that running game that newly covered running game and the gaping holes in which Chase Brown and company ran through that. As we continue, he's Dave Lapham, I'm Lance, but Calister, thanks for being with us tonight. It's Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Let's keep it moving along on this Monday night, a Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Looking back at that big Thursday night went over the Pittsburgh Steelers thirty three thirty one. Well, eventually look ahead of the windless Jets this weekend. We'll get to that coming up at hour number three. But let's get to in this hour the Bengals running game. Twenty three totes of the football for one hundred and forty two yards. That's an average of six point two yards of carry. Chase Brown eleven carries one and eight yards, a nine point eight yards per carry average. And there were moments he was galloping through holes day it was fun to see. On Thursday night, he was, I mean, when you average almost the first down every time you run the football, and that's what uh Chase Brown did, That's that's ridiculous. I mean that's almost stupid at any level. But against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin, who are known for having a vaunted run defense, I mean, they're not gonna They're gonna give up uh rush yards grudgingly. It's not gonna be a cake walk when you go out there against the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Bengals. Just man, they hit them right. They they changed up.
Speaker 4: Uh, they had a lot of different blocking schematics in that run game. You know, they had to just come off the line of scrimmage and knock people off the football, which is which is great. And and once they started doing that and anchoring the Pittsburgh Steelers, then they had you know, down block, down, block, pull a gap scheme. That's what the gap scheme is. Basically, Uh, block down and and and pull around and find finding somebody would stick a hat on as that puller. They did a good job of that. They ran some naked mean, Joe Flacco had a big carry that was a very important play in the football game, and he was he was almost laughing as hard he could barely describe the player in the locker room after the game.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think he may have summed it up by saying he knew the formation was alright.
Speaker 2: He said, screw it, I'll take it. Yeah, it goes for twelve yards.
Speaker 4: I know that they know how they're supposed to block it, so I'm going to trust the fact they're going to block it.
Speaker 5: Pretty well. Here I go. I mean, that's that's when you know it's going right.
Speaker 4: Though. You know, sometimes some games it's like, man, I mean, we can't screw up. Even if we try to screw it up. You know, it's like it's impossible.
Speaker 3: Today and so many it was so nice to see Chase Brown be able to get up ahead of steam so many carries this year he'd been hit now at the lot of scrimmage, he'd been hitting the backfield on the handoff and and it kind of reminds you of what they saw on him, especially last year when he went through like a six or seven game stretch with over one hundred total yards in offense. He was catching it, he was running it, but he was able to have a little bit of space to do that.
Speaker 2: And that space was there Thursday.
Speaker 5: Nay, it was, it was.
Speaker 4: It was you know, sometimes it was due to outstanding blocking. I think sometimes it was maybe a little bit of an assignment era a misalignment by the Pittsburgh Steelers or hitting a wrong gap two guys in one gap and then one gap just totally exposed and wide open. But credit the Bengals, they found it, you know. And the Chase Brown, like you said last, when he gets up ahead of steam, the dude is an automatic. Yards after contact, he's going to pick up something. It might only be a yard or two, but that's a tough yard or two that you don't have to worry about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And offensive linemen love running backs to do that, to lower their pad level and just run people over and get yards after catch. I mean block for Pete Johnson, he was bigger than us for crying out loud, but that guy would flatten people and run him over and get yards after contact. And Chase Brown, the thing that he has, he has the ability to power in the in the power running attack. He has the power to do that. But then he'll make you miss and he'll run away from you. So I mean this guy, you get him in space defenders defensive backs in particular, like, I better come up and get myself ready here. This guy's the lord. I get a brace for it, and then he'll make him look stilly, He'll make him miss. So Chase Brown is a very talented guy. Plus the fact that you know he'll I love there's a form alignment. Love to watch this dude and blitz pick up. He is stoning people now, he's sticking his face right in there and stopping linebackers in their tracks when they're coming downhill, trying to blitz that. That's significant. Then he gets out of the backfield. You know, they have a good screen game with him, screen passes on the passing attack and Flacco utilize that. And then just having him as a as an outlet a check down in the passing game when they took away things down the football field, let me get it Chase Brown and and generate some yards.
Speaker 2: They went into the.
Speaker 3: Game averaging I think fifty six yards per game rushing just fifty six a game. They were the only team in the NFL that didn't have a run of at least fifteen yards until Thursday night.
Speaker 2: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: And nobody expects them to go for one forty two every game or average six per care every game. But if they've unlock something, if they can rush for four yards a little tick over four yards per carrier. What does it mean for that offense? And what does it mean for how defenses are going to have to respect that element of the game that's now been reintroduced to their offense.
Speaker 4: I think that the successful teams in the NFL, I mean, you look at the ones that always seem to be there, Philadelphia Eagles, you know, being one a real good example of it. They first and foremost want to run the football every single week. They want to establish their ground game. They wanted to say, we're going to win the line of scrimmage. We're going to basically show our physical dominance by knocking you around and winning the line of scrimmage, and then okay, try to rush the pass on us. We're going to be a stone wall. We're gonna be a fortress that you can't penetrate whatsoever. So that that's kind of like the formula when the Steelers were great, that's what they did.
Speaker 5: I mean, they ran the heck out of the football.
Speaker 4: Frank O'harris, Rocky Blyerlas, you have the bus, I mean, and then and then just you know, built the fortress and said, you know what, you're not gonna touch Ben Roethlisberger. I mean, Ben's gonna be able to stand back there and Survey. I mean I used to go nuts thinking, gosh, somebody smack him, for God's sake. Don't let them sit there, and you know, survey one side to the other side, deep, shallow deep again. It's like, God, man, he's got a day and a half too much time to throw the football at all.
Speaker 5: Starts with that sound running game.
Speaker 3: What does it mean to and I there was a clip on the sidelines and I think ted Carris was miked up, and late in the game, when the final play had had fallen in completely it's over. Teddy stands up and you hear him let out this just scream of joy and delight. And and I was thinking what it must have meant for that offensive line to feel like they had kind of imposed their will to rush for one hundred and forty two on the ground. What does that mean as you're going back to the huddle and things, you're clicking and and you're reeling off six yards per carry like they were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I can't explain the feeling. I mean, it gives you such a such an unbelievable feeling of accomplishment, you know, and it's an accomplishment by the group. And with offensive line, I've talked about this many times as a form alignment. It's like it's a fraternity. I mean, it's a it's it's a very very close knit. I think it's the most close knit position group on the football team because you're codependent everybody the success.
Speaker 5: Of your even your play.
Speaker 4: A lot of times there are snaps where you have to have proper help or you're going to look bad. And uh, and it can happen. It does happen, there's no question about it. But you know, uh, when when the offensive line is performing well and everything's in sync, uh, it's just it's it's a thing of beauty to watch. I mean, it's like there are five spokes in the wheel and every single spoke is doing exactly and holding up strong and doing exactly you know what it's supposed to do, and there's no broken spokes and there's no you know, problem area in the offensive line. It's like, man, we can't we can't go over there because we know that we can't handle the opposition over there. They're dominating us. But I think I think Ted was just kind of uh he was exalting emotion from the entire group. Yes, you know, like a like a tar san type Uh, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Victory victory scream by Ted carras no doubt, no doubt. All right, let's take a time out of come back. We are up and running towards three hours tonight. When we're ultimately done talking all things Bengals, let's get into the defense. Some of the things that have gone right with some of the things that need to be worked on, and some of the guys they're they're getting looks at, and some of the guys like Cam Taylor brid who was on the outside looking in on Thursday. We'll sort through the defense as we continue. He's Dave Lapham, I'm Lance Pacallister. Thanks for being with us tonight. It's Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: We continue on in this Monday night.
Speaker 3: It's Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network. Thanks for tagging along with us talking about a big one over the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: I'm Lance Pacallister.
Speaker 3: Alongside is Dave lap When we've talked to offense Joe Flacco in a little bit of that running game. We'll get into Jamar Chase in his night a little bit later on, and so much more on the offense. Let's pick up some stuff on the defense first. The two turnovers forced, Jordan Battle gets an interception. DJ Turner for the second straight week. We're gonna talk about DJ Turner in terms of making plays and Dave on a defense that needs guys beyond Trey, they need other playmakers. DJ Turner for two straight weeks has been a guy. He's made plays.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Lance, you're right on again. You know what you're looking at, my man? I mean DJ Turner is the guy in the back end that it's making some wild plays, you know. I mean you have to have playmakers at every level. With your defensive line. You got Trey Hunters coming off the edge, you know, creating havoc, wrecking games. You know, just a consistently profound pass rusher.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You have to double and triple team the guy. And then when you do that, other guys are gonna eat because you know they're in one on one situations and and they're gonna win their share of those. At the linebacker level, you've got you know, solid play by a bunch of guys, a lot of young guys at that linebacker level that can really run, physically gifted, they've got size speed ratio pluses. And Uh, Logan Wilson has kind of made his sacrifice, and you know, things didn't go well for him. Uh, it was decided that Al Golden decided that he was gonna go in a different direction. And but but what Al Golden did is, Okay, you're you're still gonna contribute, Logan, And you're gonna contribute. And when we go three linebackers, when we go three four, three four, you're gonna be a big part of what we're doing out there. When we go five to, you're gonna be over there with me and helping maybe determine what we need to do, adjustice, we need to bake, and things of that nature. Logan Wilson has immense brilliant football IQ. He's been around, he's been around the block. He knows what he's looking at and he can still play the game. So I and then again, you know, you get in the back end, you get a guy who turners just saying I'm gonna I'm gonna take control of this football game. I'm not gonna let anybody beat me. Nobody is gonna beat me one on one. I'm gonna do my job. I'm gonna take my guy out of the equation. There's no way that Aaron Rodgers is gonna throw to my guy and my my I'm taking away my portion of the field. And then uh, he's he's the best tackle that they have in space in the secondary by far. I mean, the guy is just a machine getting guys on the ground. He doesn't miss many tackles. And then when he makes it a tackle and causes a turnover, that's you know, that's cherry on top of the hot fudge Sunday man. You know, it's like that's he's playing his tailoff in every every way that you can play defensive football to impact the game for his team. Turner's doing it.
Speaker 3: David in the athleticism he showed on the sideline interception where he ripped it away and he got some help from you give Geno Stone credit for the.
Speaker 2: Smack as well.
Speaker 3: I think that maybe loosened it up a little bit for the rip away, which you know, Gino gets criticism and slings an arrows sometimes, but he was in on that play in the right spot. But DJ Turner's closing speed and the ability to rip it away along the sidelines and stay in bounds. That that was a flash of a really nice skill set.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like you say, a skill set that's just an athlete, particularly an athlete that's wearing shoulder pads and helmet, you know, a football athlete. Things that you have to have in order to be uber successful in the game of football. Turner has an abundance. He has an abundance of them, both mentally and physically. He's gifted to play this game at a very high level. The Bengals did a good job, you know, unearthing him and bringing him to the to the table to make his contributions to the Cincinnati Bengals, and he he had one of his better games of his career in a timely fashion against a division opponent that was a very important football game.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Logan Wilson, and there's there's a couple of ways something can go when you're at this stage of your career and and you're told you're not going to get the snaps you were getting. We're gonna get younger guys in to get more snaps you. You can pack it in, you can pout, you can sulk, you can say trade me, release me, or whatever, or you can adjust. And it looks like he's adjusted. He made a play when he was in there. The Pro Football Focus great say the plays he was in he he graded well.
Speaker 2: So that tells me he understands.
Speaker 3: I'm I can still be useful for this team and I can still make my presence felt, and that's not always the case with guys who lose the playing time.
Speaker 4: Right on, Lance, you right on again, and Logan Wilson understands, like you were talking about, I can I can be a problem, or I can be a solution to a problem. And I'd prefer to be the solution to the problem. I'd rather help my teammates every way I possibly can, both physically and mentally. I'd rather help my teammates get ready to play at the highest level that they can possibly play at. I'd love to see all my teammates, you know, lead the team in tackles and and make a lot of money. Because Logan Wilson is he's played a long time, he's made money, and you know he and his family are taken care of. But shoot, no problem, no reason not to make more, and he's going to do that in his leadership. I think his leadership is is a big thing. I think during the course of the game, when there's gonna be ebbs and flows and you're gonna have leads and you're gonna, you know, spit the bit and give the leads up, and then do you have the guts and determination wherewithal to continue to play and get the lead back? And in the National Football League, more games come down to one score or less at the end of the football game than not. So you have to have guys with the mindset and the makeup of the mentality that Logan Wilson has displayed during the course of his career with the Cincinnati Bengals to win your share of those types of games.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that in the media session last week he more or less put his arm around Barrett Carter with the media and said, whatever this guy needs, I'm paraphrasing, I'm here for him, and you could, as the more veteran guy, you can let him be on their own and let them think, all right, I'm going to let him fail and I'm going to get my job back. Instead he's right there for him, passing on his working knowledge, which is the essence of being a professional player.
Speaker 5: Right on, right on again.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's not easy to do sometimes, you know, but it's how you can continue to have a career. And maybe Logan Wilson might consider coaching, you know. I mean, I don't know what his aspirations are after playing the game of football.
Speaker 5: I think he'd be a damn good coach.
Speaker 4: I think he has that type of that type of personality, that type of mentality, that type of mindset. He is a very very intelligent football player. Like we've talked about. The other thing that this shows is on both sides of this. It's like, you know, Logan Wilson, he could have been like, I'm too cool for school. This sucks. I'm not going to help you a bit. I'm gonna I hope you fall flat in your face, and I might even try to do as much as I possibly can to make sure you fall flat in your face. Just the opposite, like you talked about how he's been handling it, and then Barrett Carter, he respects Logan Wilson. Yeah, he respects what he's done. So he's not going to be like, you know what, Yeah, I'm the young buck. I'm better than you. I can kick your butt, man, I can do whatever, you know, And I'm I'm gonna be a Pro Bowl player. I'm gonna be you know, no arrogance, no conceit, you know, none of those kind of things. And I think once again you have to give credit to Duke Tobin in the scouting department for finding guys that aren't just good football players, but are damn good people.
Speaker 3: Hang tight, We've got more to get too as we head down the stretch in our first of three hours tonight, it's Bengals Line and we do it on the Bengals Radio Network and right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Down the stretch we are rolling till the.
Speaker 3: Top of the hour in our first hour, about to be put in the books of Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW and.
Speaker 4: Lance Kettering Health. The Injury Report here we go, presented by Kettering Healthy, official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals, providing the best care for the best fans. The tight end position got beaten up a little bit, Lance, I mean, you know, Mike H. Sticky strand pulled, whatever the case may be. We don't have all details the severity of the poll of a pectoral muscle, which is up in the check. You know, you have the pack, you have the major and minor pectoral, and so that's that's good. That's a tough injury because you can't put your hands above your head, you know, to catch the football. You can't block and finish and extend your arms. Depending on this verity again of the pectoral injury. So he you know, he may might be out a little bit. And uh, now you have uh uh Hudson another tight end that's got concussion.
Speaker 5: He was in concussion protocol. So how long is that going to be?
Speaker 4: When will he be cleared? Will he be playing this week? Well maybe not this week, but will he be playing the following week?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes concussions can be you know, dicey, They can be tricky. It can be two three weeks or whatever. Uh, you know, down the down the down the road. And then Trey Hendrickson, your best pass rusher, has got a hip issue and and let's face it, that's not an easy injury to overcome and get back out on the football field and knock heads with big you know, six foot five three and twenty pound offensive tackles snap after snap. So they do have their share of injury, not as bad as some teams around the National Football League, but they're not injury free as well.
Speaker 3: That is one hour officially in the books. Man, We've got so much more to get to hang with us. We'll do it as we roll on with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Pay Corps.
Speaker 1: Pay Corps is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering now best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering el official healthcare provider of us Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go our two underway on a Monday night. Bengals Line, Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Glance but now Lester Dave Lapham sorting through a big Thursday night went over the Steelers. We'll look ahead to the New York Jets as well, and let's look back on what we saw on Thursday night, Dave a pleasant site.
Speaker 2: They a Joe Burrow sighting, yes on the.
Speaker 3: Sidelines walking around, uh, and I think it encouraged everybody. He was off the little scooter thing he's been using. Still a ways away, but reports from the NFL network where things are going well. He's targeting mid December. Now, there's a long way to go between now and then, but it's a great sign to see Joe up and walking around.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I think, honestly, Joe Flacco was glad to see him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I mean, what.
Speaker 4: The world of quarterback position in the National Football Leagues of fraternity, and it's a pretty small fraternity, and there's a big level of respect there amongst these quarterbacks and the talents that these quarterbacks do have, and every quarterback knows exactly what the other quarterbacks going through, you know. And so Joe Flacco, he I'm sure he is welcoming any comments, any not criticisms, but any input. Yeah, good, good word input that Joe Borrow may have in terms of, hey, when you're running that play, when they call it again, because we'll call it because we picked up twelve yards, so they're going to call this thing again, this tight end drag across man. Let them clear a little longer, you know, and it'll it'll be a home run. It'll go for even more yards. Or you know, when they're in cover two pre snap, they're giving this little tell. I see this tip that the strong safety is doing before he drops down in the box, and you know, and the free safety is rotating and you know to cover one. And you might have seen it, Joe. If you haven't, here's what I saw, you know, And I just want to make sure that you know. If I'm seeing things over here on the sideline, I want to make sure that you're seeing them as well out in the football field, because I want to do everything I possibly can to help my football team win the football game, because I can't do anything physically, so all I can do is help from a from a metal standpoint. And nobody has as good a mind for the game of football.
Speaker 5: As Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: And there there is a The report was mid December. Again, this is all who knows this will be. There's a lot of hurdles to clear in the rehab and it's got to keep going right and at least though mid December. It causes me to at least look at the schedule. I say, all right, there's six more games to get to mid December. That's December fourteenth. If I account mid is December fourteenth. Can this team hang around, stay in contention and like build a bridge almost to Joe Burrow and that that sure beats sitting at two and five had you lost Thursday and having no bridge to build bingo.
Speaker 4: It does, and what it gives the football team thinking that, wow, the middle of December, we may have the best quarterback in the National Football League back throwing to Jamar Chase and T Higgins and I mean andre Yosi Vash and hopefully Kasiki's back by then. And you know, Hudson and everybody, we have all of our our arsenal, all of our weapons. It gives us hope, man, and there's there's nothing better than hope, you know, keep hope alive. And and that's what that's what this will do. And it just it just gives the team probably feels a lot more whole. Yes, when Joe Burrows on the sideline, be it in a boot or whatever the case may be, uh supporting that that injury that he's got.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's it's it's all good.
Speaker 4: There's no there's no negative whatsoever in any way, shape or form about Joe Burrow being down that sideline.
Speaker 3: I had heard, and this had bugged me for the last couple of weeks. I don't think people understood what Joe was going through. I had heard from a number of people who said, why isn't Joe with the team, Why isn't Joe helping it? And and one the initial surgery left him on a scooter with with his leg up on a pad.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So one, you're not gonna you're not going to travel with your scooter on a plane and deal with all that and through the airports and everything else. You're not gonna be on the sidelines on a scooter and open yourself up at being immobile if a play comes out of bounds and runs in. I mean, there were just too many things that could go wrong. So I never understood why anybody would want Joe based on everything he was having to deal with with the scooter, why anybody thought he should have been with the team at that point.
Speaker 5: I agree. I agree with all of that. I mean that physical part.
Speaker 4: I mean it's hard for him to move around, hard for him to, you know, travel with the apparatus, got to pack it underneath the plane and you know everything else. So it's not an easy chore. Plus the other thing is, let's face it, broadcasters would be looking at, say, Joe Flacco makes a poor decision that throws internship. Oh man, look Joe Burrow sitting on that sideline looking. I wonder what he's thinking. I wonder what's going through Joe Burrow's mind right now when Joe Flacco throws that key interception with two minutes to go in the first half, boy oh boy, and all of that can't that big can of worms gets opened up, and you know it's it's tough enough for Joe Flacco in a short period of time to get ready to play to the level that he's played at US, never mind being compared to Joe Burrow at his best, when he's potential MVP candidate in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: I'm and I've never gone through turf toe. I think it would be interesting and fascinating to think if everything starts at your base and your feet. I wonder how much rehab, what what rehab is like for Joe or if mid December is doable. It's not like you can you can do any running conditioning and I don't know. I guess you can sit there and throw a football. But when everything starts at your feed and your toes, it's got to make it tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's brutal.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's the it's the base of your foundation, you know, and uh, all your weight gravity, and it takes it takes it right down there. I did have turf toe. Mine was caused by you know, on on the goal line trying to block and get underneath people and borrow under and banging shan my toe into the the astra turf, the fake fake grass which had no padding.
Speaker 5: I mean it was hardest rock and uh and.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm telling you as alignment it was, it was not as severe probably as Joe's, but it was painful. I mean, there was definitely something there. It wasn't normal, that's for sure. Man, telling you you just in your mind, your mind is don't favorite, don't favorite, you know, treated equally, treated just like the other one. But man, that pain is like the pain's there for a reason. God invented pain to let you know, dude, cut it out, don't be stupid. Stop it, you know. So yeah, there's no there's no magic wand that Joe Burrow can wave and uh and and you know eliminate his his issue, his injury. So he has to be has to be mindful of that. And if you try to come back too quickly, which I tried to do for practice standpoint, I tried to come back a day earlier than I should have, jammed that bad boy up, tweaked it and like, whoa man, that put me back a little bit. And now you're not only back, but you're worse.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: You're like if there are steps leading down to the basement, instead of four step down, you're the fifth step down, you know. And it's like, oh, brother, why did I do it? That was stupid? Why did I do that? Well, you did it because you love your team, You love your teammates. You want to do what you can to help your coaches, you know, keep their jobs and win as many football games as they can.
Speaker 3: Final thought, as we hit the brake, if we were looking at that December fourteenth return, potentially just as a moving target, there'll be four games left in the regular season that would include Baltimore at the Dolphins home to the Cardinals and home to the brown So they'd be thirteen games into the season with four games left. If, in fact, Joe could hit a December fourteenth target. That's a big if at this point, but it's certainly an if that is worth at least considering and getting a little excited about with the possibilities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you look at those That's not Murderer's role, it's not. I mean Baltimore. Baltimore is struggling right now, but you know Lamar Jackson's out. They have more guys out than they have playing. Yes, if the Baltimore Ravens roster there's playing now, it's.
Speaker 5: Like, who are these guys?
Speaker 4: You know, you need a who's who of football to identify who the players are. They'll they'll probably all be back and playing at a relatively high level. They'll probably have been playing for at least a couple of weeks before they match up against the Cincinnati Bengals. But man, the other teams, if the Bengals can't beat them, they don't deserve to be in the playoff hunt anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the name of the name of the game.
Speaker 3: Well, when we come back, I've had a question ask of me a lot that I'll ask you to you and it's and we just went through what Joe Burrow might be able to do to help Joe Flacco. I've been asked a lot about does Joe Flacco. Can Joe Burrow learn things from Joe Flacco? Flacco is the most experienced quarterback that Joe's had with him on the team at one time. Yeah, seen a lot, done a lot things that maybe Joe could learn and see through Joe Flacco's performance. Let's do a little bit of that and more as we continue. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred W l W. Hey, We're back on Bengals Line on this Monday night on the Bengals Radio Network. In seven hundred WLW. Lance Pacallister hanging out with Dave Lappham.
Speaker 4: Lance Shop the Bengals Pro Shop find the best selection of the Bengals merchandise anywhere. This is the Pro Shop, seven days a week, located on the north side of pay Court Stadium, a shop online at Bengals dot com.
Speaker 3: So day we were talking about Joe Flacco, we were talking about Joe Burrow. Joe Flacco clearly has the most impressive resume, the most accomplished quarterback that Joe has played with on this Bengals roster. He's never had a backup or now obviously a starter in Flacco, who's done what Joe Flacco has done.
Speaker 2: Is there are there things.
Speaker 3: You And I'm always I'm always big on getting different perspective, but a different a different way of looking at things and fresh eyes and and I think it's good for Joe now, especially now that he's with the team, to see someone else do what he did and know that it's done from somebody has accomplished is Joe Flacco. There's got to be nuances or mannerisms or get tendencies. There's got to be a variety of things that could be there to be picked up on by Joe Burrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would think there's ways that he can tweak his game, you know. And good call by you. You're a very intelligent man. I mean you you you try to learn as much as you can every single day. I mean, I think the day that any of us say absolutely, I don't want I don't want to even hear anything anymore. I don't want to don't don't muddy the waters. Man, don't cloud the issue. To me, I've got to figure it out. That's the first day you're on the way down, you know, that's the first day you're you're closer to not retire, either retirement or getting fired, you know, and people people moving on. And and I do think that Joe Burrow does look at Joe Flacco as somebody that, man, this guy's a great resource for me. I love learning all I can about the game of football. I'm a football savant. I want to know everything there is to know about the game and how to play the game, and how to play the game at the highest level. And Joe Blaco has been an MVP, Joe fat Flacco has won playoff games, you know, in neither one of us have won the Super Bowl. Yet that's our ultimate goal. If we collaborate and do things the right way here, one plus one is going to equal three. It just won't eat just won't equal two. You know, there'll be a synergistic effect here that will help the entire football team.
Speaker 3: And David, I wonder and their there are stark differences between the two in terms of what we talked about with Joe Flacco earlier. He will when the play isn't there, he won't try to make something of it. He moves on. Joe is different from the standpoint. Joe's very good at extending plays and trying to get that wide receiver. Ope, but at the last minute, maybe taking a hit sometimes it might lead an interception. I wonder if Joe sees a different way of maybe I don't always have to extend plays. Maybe there is something to be said for don't take the hit or don't risk the throw, just throw it away and move on to the next play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, there's nothing wrong with reevaluating you the way you look at your game, you know, uh, the way you look at the game of football as a whole. Let's face it, the way Joe Borrow has been doing it has led quite a bit of injury. I mean he's been he's been dinged up a lot. Uh and uh, you know, high school, he was just better than everybody physically better. Same same at the collegiate level, although you know, they were physically much more unique at the collegiate level than at the high school level. And now you face the most unique, uh, physical specimens in the in the National Football League, So you know you're advancing and and uh, all it takes is one blow.
Speaker 5: One blow and you're out. Man.
Speaker 4: So you do you have to be judicious. You have to be, you know, really thoughtful in how you approach. How many hits do I want to take?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: How much of a beating do I want to take? I want to win games. I want to win games for my teammates. I want to, you know, win division titles. I want to win conference championships. I want to win Super Bowls. But you have to do it judiciously.
Speaker 3: Another thought on on Joe Flah and this not tied specifically to Joe Burrow, but I think everybody in that locker room. I until he came here, My knowledge of Joe Flacco was simply watching him play and hearing a SoundBite or two maybe every week.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: The more I listen to Joe Flacco, the more impressive he is from just his big picture understanding and appreciation of things there. And I'm not saying he's like the adult in the room or the grandfather in the room, but he just sounds he sounds different than everybody else in this team because he maybe it's just because he's forty and live life longer than anybody else. I just find him very reflective and refreshing to hear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he's so experienced.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like there's not one dynamic in life that he hasn't gone through probably, you know. I mean it's whether it's his family, his football family, whatever the case may be. I mean, I do know in talking to him that the single most important thing to him is his wife and children. And he's got five kids and they're raising a beautiful family. He wants to make sure that everything is done right in that regard, doesn't want to jeopardize anything with respect to that, but he does know that, you know, football is a good way to make their life a little bit better, a lot better really, And there's economics involved that he's done exceptionally well and he's going to continue to do well, and his team will, his team, his family will thrive as a result of that. So he is a very mature human being. I think he's even mature beyond his years. And Joe Flackell understands life, understands football life, and understands how they're related.
Speaker 3: I love the fact he was talking last week about once in his mind he knew he wanted to keep playing and made the commitment mentally to it. You know, things like taking care of your body or understanding situations and how each situation he's been in has helped in the next situation. And maybe it was a place he didn't necessarily want to be, maybe he didn't want to be the backup, but he used it as a learning experience to get to through it to the next thing. And this is the next thing, and it's it's like, I don't want to say the Fountain of Youth, but I would. There's a lot of juice behind this for him as well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And how about this question, what tandem or duo of quarterbacks in the NFL is going to be better than Joe Burrow and Joe Flacco. When Joe Burrow is able to come back. Great Joe Flacco as a backup quarterback, I mean, he may be the best backup quarterback in the history of the National Football League, particularly if he play. I mean, he's playing very well right now. And as the weeks go by and he gets more and more familiar with the game plan on a repetition repetition preachs comfort level on a week by week basis, his level of play is going to increase. I mean, he will put up significant numbers. And I'm not saying that Joe Burrow won't get a starting job back, you know, but when he comes back, it's not gonna be a quarterback controversy. I mean it's gonna be. It's gonna be an embarrassment of riches at the quarterback position, is what it's gonna be. You're gonna have arguably the greatest quarterback in the NFL as a starter, and the greatest backup quarterback in the NFL is your backup quarterback.
Speaker 2: Can't beat that one too much. Perfect segue.
Speaker 3: In our next segment, let's talk about perhaps the maybe not even perhaps maybe a given the best wide receiver in the game.
Speaker 5: What JR.
Speaker 2: Chase did on Thursday night. Holy cow.
Speaker 3: Let's give him some love and continue conversation along those lines as we continue with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey, welcome back to Bengals Line of this Monday night of the Bengals Radio Network. In seven hundred WLW, we have sorted through Thursday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers on both sides of the football got into Joe Flacco as well. Let's spend some time on Jamar Chase targeted twenty three times, twenty three targets, forty seven pass attempts by Joe Flaccoie hauls in sixteen of those for one hundred and sixty one yards in a touchdown, and man I by halftime started the third quarter, I thought sure he was gonna.
Speaker 2: Get twenty catches.
Speaker 3: They just kept going to him and going to him, and he just kept catching him.
Speaker 5: He's unbelievable. And what it showed me these kind of numbers.
Speaker 4: When you're targeted twenty three times, sixteen catches, one hundred sixty one yards and a touchdown, that is tiring. His physical conditioning is great, point incredible. It's remarkable to do that at the NFL level against you know, great physical specimens. These guys are jamming you, you know, pushing you around, trying to get you off course, double teaming you. You're going through contact, you're sprinting, you're running full speed, and then you're breaking it down. That That is tiring, going full speed and chopping it down to you know, and then making a cut up, you know, change in direction off of that. That is man mind boggling for him to be as fresh as he was in the fourth quarter. And I didn't notice any difference in him coming off the line of scrimmage and how he was attacking defensive backs in quarter number one or quarter number four, I mean, or any time in between. He is something else. I mean, And then I was watching him. When are you gonna drink water?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 5: I mean, for crying out loud, what are you a machine? Or what are you? It's He'll take like a little simple water here and there.
Speaker 4: You know. It is just it's unbelievable to watch him perform his craft. He is as good at what he does as anybody doing anything in the entire world.
Speaker 3: His his strength in the ability to create yards after catch and break tackles. It is I mean, sometimes you think he's not even humid. He's like a robot. He just sheds people who it looks like he's wrapped up and he just breaks that.
Speaker 2: The strength is just off the charts.
Speaker 4: I'm a great point again, Lance, I'm wondering of the one hundred and sixty one yards, how many of those are yards after catch, yards after contact? A bunch, I mean, a good a good percentage I bet forty percent anyway that that that is, that's just remarkable and in the red zone because all the things you're talking about, how strong he is, how physically dominant he is, and the size speed ratio he has the best size speed ratio in the NFL. And you watch him in the weight room and you watch him power clean weight, you watch him deadlift weight, It's like, what the hell I mean he's stalling weights around that offensive and defensive lineman throw around, and Jamar Chase is just, you know, very casual, nonchalant about the whole thing. It's like, you know, hey, another day at the office. Here we go. I'm just trying to make myself better. And that that's the thing about him is he is the ultimate competitor, uber uber competitive.
Speaker 3: And David, I know he's still early in his career, and I'm not making this as a declaration, but when you think all that this franchise has seen from from Isaac Curtis to Chad Johnson to A. J. Green to to Carl Pickens and all their skill sets, I look at the combined skill set of Jamar Chase and I say, you guys are great. Yeah, the one package what Jamar is it's hard to comprehend.
Speaker 4: It's totally unique. Yes, I mean it's dynamic, is what he what it is. And I think all of those receivers. I've talked to Isaac Curtis about Jamar Chase, He's like, oh, man, dude, he's a freak. There's a freak as a way, you know, it's like his physical specimen.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know all of them feel that way. You know, it's that's universal and that uh that's a credit to Jamar Chase. And I think they also like the fact that he doesn't freelance, and he he doesn't you know, he's not interested in, you know, having his numbers be the story. He wants the store to be the team one. And then there's a subplot by the way, you know, I had sixteen catches one hundred sixty one yards in a touchdown.
Speaker 5: He didn't want it to be the other way around.
Speaker 4: And uh, yeah, he's he is the consummate professional of the consummate teammate.
Speaker 3: What I really loved on Thursday night and I'm I love taking what you're given, and that was there. They just kept going to it. Yeah, they kept it was successful and they kept going, and Joe Flacco targeted the two of them, chasing Higgins thirty seven thirty three times between the two of them.
Speaker 2: But he just kept going to Chase because it was.
Speaker 3: There, the advantage was there, and he was just rolling and there was no state.
Speaker 2: He just kept feeding him the ball. And I love that. Yeah, And why not if it's working, keep going to it exactly.
Speaker 5: And I can't I can't believe that. You know that they stayed in the coverage.
Speaker 4: They didn't said, you know, so Flacco Chase look at each other, gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Give you a tip of the cap, you know, a little a little non little bow or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, eventually they may come out of it, but it doesn't seem like they're in any hurry, that's for darn sure. And I think the running game was a factor in that as well. I feel like Tomlin felt like he had to do certain things and commit certain numbers of linebackers and safeties from a personnel standpoint to the running game because Chase Brown was so effective, and you.
Speaker 5: Know, that's what you want. Man.
Speaker 4: When you have a balanced attack like that, it makes it almost impossible for a defense to defend. You know, you don't want to be one dimensional. You want to be balanced, and the Bengals were the definition of it.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 3: I remember I laughed because Joe Flacco has mentioned in the last couple of weeks what he's learning about Higgins and Chase and just how darn good they are. And I think of Flacco's career, and he's had some okay receivers along the way, but I go back to Week one with the Browns where he had a couple of his passes the receivers bobbled and they turned into interceptions. And to think of where Flacco was at one point in his career to now being able to throw to Chase in Higgins. I mean, Joe Flacco's got to go home every night and tell his wife.
Speaker 2: You want I mean, this is heaven.
Speaker 4: I've got two of the best of the game catch of my passes exactly. I think he probably goes to Holmes Her and says, honey, now I know what football heaven is. You know the football gods. I know there are football gods now. I wasn't sure for a while, and I know there are now because they've they've really blessed me man and I have got a couple of studs that I'm able to compete with and throw the football to on a weekly basis, And man, it's like I just can't wait. I can't wait for the game plans. I got coaching staff that knows what the hell they're doing, Zach Taylor, Dan Pitcher, and I got receivers that can execute it.
Speaker 5: And man, I am in hog Heaven.
Speaker 3: Take a time out of continue. Let's flip back to the defensive side of things, because I must. We must address why why is tackling so hard in the NFL these days? Why are there so many miss tackles. Let's get into that. We'll do an extensive study of tackling as we continue. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Let's keep rolling right along and this Monday night, working our way through three hours of Bengals conversation and eventually into Jets conversation. The opponent on Sunday at pay Corpse Stadium, I'm alliance, Butacallister, he is Dave Lapham. We talked about the defense and the takeaways on Thursday night. There continues to be the thread of the issue of tackling. And it's not just the Bengals around it's amazing around the NFL how many misstackles there are. I haven't seen an official number from Thursday night, there was a rather large number from.
Speaker 4: The week before.
Speaker 3: Why let me ask it this way, if you're a poor tackling team, how do you make Is there a way to make yourself a better tackling team.
Speaker 4: I think that in today's football coaches, head coaches, coordinators, they're hesitant about doing routine tackling drills because of the possibility of injury. Yep, they are so scared that they're gonna lose, fearful of losing one of their star players, you know, in a routine tackling drill where it's like, I mean, I remember Paul Brown. We didn't hit all that much in practice until we did team work, and his whole thing was, I don't want to lose you know, Kenny Anderson and Isaac Curtis or Bob Trump or whatever in a you know, a stupid, you know, routine tackling drill. So there's I think there's that side of it. The other side of it is I just I just think that these offensive players are so damn good. I mean, the size speed ratio of these guys. These guys are big people that can really run and pack a hell of a punch. So they will they'll just they'll take contact. That's no big deal.
Speaker 5: I can handle.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 5: Is that all you get? Why don't you?
Speaker 2: Why don't you try to try to try it again? You know, let's take another rep.
Speaker 4: And it's it's amazing to watch, even watching practice, the way these guys can run through tackles.
Speaker 5: And Chase Brown is a great example.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's he's five ten and twenty pounds, low center of gravity, and man, when he when he lowers his pads and finishes a run when they're doing like live goal line and short Yardie Wills, he's something else.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's he's he'll he'll.
Speaker 4: Pack a punch, there's a surge there, and then he's an excellent blitz pickup guy to stick his nose right in the chest of linebackers and you know, have a ben his knees, have a real low, low center of gravity, low body, good receiver out of the backfield catching the ball and then you know, breaking tackles there. It's it's crazy, you know, Uh, I just I just think that tackling form is terrible in the National Football League these days. I think it's a lost I think that they should go back to football fundamentals basically, and uh.
Speaker 3: And so much of a day, it seems today has become the idea of knocking the ball loose, you know, going for the football, which is is great in theory because everybody wants a turnover to get the ball back, right, but some of the time it's it's sacrificing yardage because you're not popping it loose and you're not making the tackle and wrapping the guy up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if everybody's going for the kill, hyes, everybody's also the big play. Yep, they're like, oh my god, look at that play. You know, and uh, if if in fact you can do that during the course of action, you know, as the play is finalizing and you and you can you can take a shot at the football, you know, probably smart to do. So You've got to make sure though that you're not the only guy. You're not in space one on one. There's got to be teammates around there that if you you know, if you if it doesn't work, you don't knock it loose, you don't jar the football out of there, somebody else is going to be there to clean up and get somebody on the ground.
Speaker 3: One other aspect of this defense and it'll help, hopefully if Trey's back this week.
Speaker 2: They've got to get pressure on the court.
Speaker 3: Watching Aaron Rodgers, there was there was a lot of three four and five Mississippis I was counting on Thursday night where he was free. I mean, I think the one officially he rolled out of the pocket and had nine point eight seconds to throw, and you could give me, if you give me nine point eight second, I might be able to complay to pass. In the NFL, it was maddening how little pressure they were able to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and trying to be I think what the defensive backs were thinking when they running round back. Can't imagine nine at ten secs, Like, come on boys, where are you guys? I mean, let's let's get the troops going here. How about getting after it a little bit. You can't cover receivers that long. They're two gifted, too talented in today's National Football League, So uh yeah, that that's something that needs to be addressed as well. The pass rush has not been what al golden wants, particularly when Trey Henderson out of the mix. I mean it was was not what what you what you need, not what you have to have to win football games.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it's shocking.
Speaker 4: Everybody knows Train is the best pass rusher the Bengals have maybe the best in the National Football League. But without him, they looked very pedestrian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you could understand a little Schamarz Stewart hadn't played in almost a month, four weeks at the ankle. But Miles Murphy, Joseph Osai, there's gotta it's gotta be. It always goes back to you can count on Trey when he's in there, You've got to have somebody else who's a presence to attract some attention and create some pressures.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I mean you can't have everybody up and down the defensive line like ooh almost, Oh you almost got him, you almost made that play.
Speaker 5: Nah, gotta have Oh.
Speaker 4: Look at that dude, finish, look at the hit that he put on him.
Speaker 5: And they have guys that can do it.
Speaker 4: I mean the guys you rotted off there, you know, Murphy, o Sai and everybody else. Those guys need to step up, and stud they need to step up now, not later now.
Speaker 2: When we come back.
Speaker 3: One other thing that jumped out on Thursday night was the number of explosive plays. This Bengals offense had a lot, I mean big chunk plays, thirty seven, thirty seven and more. Let's talk about that and what it means for this offense. They've been able to produce those big plays. As we head down the stretch in our second hour tonight, it's Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back at it on this Monday night, sorting through everything related to the Bengals from the way over the Pittsburgh Steelers, looking ahead to the New York Jets coming up in our third hour tonight, and Dave, one thing that stood out on Thursday night if you look at the big plays, chunk plays even down to if you look at just plays to gain fifteen yards or more, Bengals had ten of those on Thursday night. They had thirty seven, thirty seven yards, twenty nine yards, twenty eight, twenty seven, twenty five.
Speaker 2: Eighteen, eighteen, sixteen, fifteen.
Speaker 3: That's the type of stuff, man, when your offense is, and you can get big plays and don't have to plod your way down the field with extended drives or things can go wrong. Those chunk plays are huge for this offense.
Speaker 4: They are I mean explosive plays, big plays are they They lift the spirits offensively and they absolutely crush and demoralize the defense. I mean, that was one thing that Paul Brown used to talk about all the time. Uh, you know, winning the turnover battle, winning third down winning, but winning the chunk plays. The big plays make more big plays than the opponent because they are the ones that are demoralizing. And uh, you know, if you've got players like we had Isaac Curtis, the guy could make a big play in his sleep. You know, Kenny Anderson to Isaac Curtis. I heard it over and over again many times. There it is Kenny Anderson, Isaac Curtis, big play, Bengals lead, and Bengal's not gonna give the lead back. That's that's what you know. Joe Burrow has done with Jamar Chase. But Joe Flacco is already finding out that he can do with Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins isn't a bad plan. B I mean He's a significant big playmaker himself, and his is a little bit his stature is a little bit different, a little bit taller, longer arms, can tested catch when he gets, when he goes up and fights for the football, that dude comes down with it a higher percent of the time than almost any receiver I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: He is remarkable.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It's amazing to look. In Week one against Cleveland, the Bengals had one play that gained at least fifteen yards one Thursday night.
Speaker 2: They had ten.
Speaker 3: Against Denver, they only had two plays of fifteen yards. Against Minnesota, they only had three plays of fifteen yards.
Speaker 2: It just makes it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's something to be said for long, extended drives that killed time on the clock. You get the time of possession, wear a team down. But if you can strike with big plays chunk toss in chunk plays along the way, it.
Speaker 2: Just makes it so much. I mean, from play caller to quarterback and everybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, And you don't think Mike Tomlin was pulling his hair out by the roots and Pittsburgh gave up ten plays of fifteen years or more. That is so unlike a Mike Tomlin defensive football team, a Pittsburgh Steeler football team as well. I mean, I remember back in the day, boy, when we were playing the steel cartin at three River Stadium in Pittsburgh. In instance of home or away, it didn't matter. These guys brought it. Man and Joe Green Fats Homes, Ernie Fats Homes, Elsie Greenwood, Dwight White, Jack, Lambert Jack Ham, Andy Russell. I mean those Historically, the Rooney family has loved a defense and running game. They've always always had had that first and foremost. And then once you get the running game going and plays good solid defense, quarterback takes over and closes the game out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: A final thought on the segment, and you mentioned T, how about some credit to T and even Zach who kind of gave the heads up if the opportunity opened. It was a big play. But T goes into the slide, forcing the Steelers to burn the clock and taking away seconds from Aaron Rodgers being on the field.
Speaker 5: What a heads up play, heads up, big time.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's just you know, high football IQ by Zach Taylor and Dan Pitcher. Not surprised there, obviously, they lecture their team on that type of thing, and in that type of situation, particularly final two minutes, final minute, final thirty seconds of the half of a game. And T Higgins followed suit perfectly, and you know what, very unselfish. Yeah, I mean, he could have had an easy touchdown, but instead it's like, it's more important to me that we win the football game than I get that touchdown.
Speaker 3: Reception probably made some fantasy team owners unhappy.
Speaker 2: They'll have to live with you if you had t and your TV. You're thinking, I'm gonna score a touchdown. Wait a minute, why you're doing what? I've lost my I've lost my game because T Higgins went.
Speaker 5: Into a slide.
Speaker 3: All right, we put two in the book, so when we turn into our number three. I don't know if anybody in this room is aware, but Sunday is is ring of honor. I might have to ask you about Lamar Parrish when we come back, and I might have to ask you about you at some point we come back and we do. Are you prepared to do all that? I'm prepared for Lamorrow. He's Dave's Pacallister. It's a Bengals line on the Bengals Radio network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering ow best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering El official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WL you the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go, third and final hour tonight. Time flies when you're having fun. We've had fun talking Bengals Steelers. We'll get into the Jets later on this hour and this weekend is gonna be fun at the Paved Corps for Bengals and Jets Ring of Honor induction. Lamara Parrish and my guy Dave Lapham. I'll get to you in a second, sir. Let's get to Lamara Parrish. Tell me for if someone is listening right now who never got to see Lamara Parrish play, paint a picture. Tell everybody about Lamar Parrish.
Speaker 4: Lamar Parish number twenty in year program for the Cincinnati Bengals, Number one in your heart. He was maybe the greatest athlete I've ever seen from on a football field. You see great athletes in basketball, you know, with the jumping ability and windmill dunks and you know, three sixty dunks and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Lamar Parish could do all that.
Speaker 4: When we were playing Bengals basketball, he put on a dunk show, There's no question about that. In the offseason. But this guy long hollered than the average cornerback, very long arms, and he could he could cover ground. Boy, he could close on a on a route so quickly quarterback would think, yeah, I got got a little separation, got some disc I can fire that in there. Nope, and the balls in the air and all of a sudden the courts back, Damn, I shouldn't have thrown that one. And Lamar would make big plays, not just picking the ball off but returning it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: He I don't know what his average yards per interception return might be, but I bet if they keep this stat in the Pro Football Hall of Fame or wherever, he's got to be in the top five in the league. I mean, he never just intercepted the ball and fell down on the ground, you know, or or let the guy tackle him.
Speaker 5: Lamar was strong.
Speaker 4: He was a very strong player, very physically gifted. And then that's not to even talk about yet his return abilities. I mean, as a point returner, kickoff returner, the best I've ever seen, bar none. I don't care. People can try to sell me on whoever else. You know, I know there were some great ones, but this guy who as a teammate, he just made so many big plays for us in then.
Speaker 3: In nineteen seventy four, Dabe he led the league averaging eighteen point eight yards per punt return.
Speaker 4: That's unbelievable. That is sick, it really is. I mean, if you average, you know, ten yards less than that. Yes, a damn good Yes, yes you're talking about I mean that. See what they should do is take every punt return from that year and put it in a little tape, send it to Canton and put it in the Hall of Fame and have people say, Okay, this is a punt returner, best example of a punt returner.
Speaker 5: This is Lamar Parrish. This is what he did.
Speaker 4: This is every return he had, you know, in nineteen seventy four for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 5: Take a look and see what you think.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable and hard to fathom.
Speaker 3: We're talking thirteen non offensive touchdowns in his career from kick returns.
Speaker 2: To punt returns, to fumble returns, the.
Speaker 3: Interception returns, thirteen touchdowns from a defensive player.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable, crazy, crazy, And I remember one time Paul Brown used him on to reverse because I mean, you know what not yeah, you get Isaac Curtis and put Lamar Parris in there. It's like whoa you know, I mean, Charlie Jordan is a great receiver, it just didn't have that kind of that kind of foot speed. But I mean Lamar Parris was a difference maker in every sense of the word at the at the cornerback position and tremendous versatility, could do a lot of things. He also he played the run. People don't give him enough credit. I don't think for how he could tackle in space because he such an athlete. A lot of times, you know, it's like you're looking back, would be in space and talented running back and it's like, oh it's Lamar. Were good went on and Lamar get him on the ground. He was gifted and ten total team player.
Speaker 5: He was special. Lamar Parrish A.
Speaker 3: Couple of things that point to won his athletic ability and to Paul Brown's eye for talent. He's a seventh round draft pick out of Lincoln University in nineteen seventy had never played the cornerback position and goes on to do what he does, his ability to adjust to whatever, and Paul's eye for I think I'm gonna make him this it's I mean, that's Paul Brown, it is.
Speaker 4: And and Paul would part of his evaluation process was he would give, like I was, I was involved with it when I was at Syracuse, give you a written test. And it was all kinds of stuff, all kinds of It was almost like a you know, an sat yeah type test, not anywhere near that long, you know, a lot shorter, fewer questions and all that sort of thing, but it was it was pretty expansive in terms of you know, you know, history and math and whatever else English. You know, he wanted base intelligence and then he wanted to talk to the coaches.
Speaker 3: It was after beating the Browns, if I remember correct, he was a little bit happy.
Speaker 2: He was very happy.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 2: And Lamar Lamar he was a dresser.
Speaker 4: Oh, he had a seamstress in Saint Louis, and then he had people here in Cincinnati that also uh contributed to his his wardrobe.
Speaker 5: But man.
Speaker 4: Uh you know, tailor made so they you know, perfectly form fitting and uh you know Leap Lamar was a handsome dude and you know, very very fit, very put together. Yeah, very uh you know, muscle in the right spots. He he was. He was a very uh, very.
Speaker 3: I wish I had a picture of ball and a fur coat in the fedora and uh and it was a mink too.
Speaker 4: But he had he had minks, he had raccoons, he had you name it, every every animal, squirrel, I guess, I don't know every every animal. They had enough fur. Every animal, they had enough fur that you could put put together fur coat. Lamar had it.
Speaker 2: It was great, oh beautiful.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll take a time back, come back more to get to on this Bunday Bengals Line or the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred w l W. Hey, let's keep it rolling on this Monday night. We're talking Bengals on Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred.
Speaker 2: W l W. Lance Pacalister, along with Dave.
Speaker 4: Lapham and Lance Paik Corp, Is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengle.
Speaker 3: All Right, we talked Lamar Parrish in the first segment. I must talk to you about you in this segment because you're going into the Ring of Honor. Easy, first question, will you write a speech or will you do you deliver a speech? Or do you do words off the top of your head?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 4: What happens? That's a good question. I'm not sure. I haven't been informed of that yet, but I'm sure they'll be. There's there's multiple functions. There's a breakfast, there's a dinner. There's the actual induction on you know, Ring of Honor day at at against the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: That'll be cool, getting everybody together, storytelling and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, my family, a lot of family from from New England, California, Arizona. I mean family from all over coming in. My brother, uh, my older brother, my younger sister, my younger brother, they're all coming in. And uh Lynn's side of the family, her brother, her sister in law, and and uh their their kids and grandkids. Got a got a bunch of it'll be uh. Uh we've we've maxed out our tickets, which is good. They're all being used and uh and yeah, there'll be a lot of storytelling. Uh, little little I'll have her good up and give her share of stories too.
Speaker 5: She can roll.
Speaker 2: That's it could be a podcast.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: Have you been do you get measured for your coat? Have you been measured? You have?
Speaker 4: Uh? And uh that should be uh, that should be all set, all taken care of.
Speaker 5: I'll get that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what day we're uh lined up to get that, but I'll be receiving that.
Speaker 5: And uh, you can't wait for that.
Speaker 4: That goes on on the field, you know, at halftime of the of the game against the Jets, and you know the Jets, we had some good battles man Cleco and Gaston and those big old dogs hands change, Yeah, the sack exchange they had.
Speaker 5: They had great football teams back then.
Speaker 4: And uh so it'll be uh, it'll be fun at uh one o'clock kick at pay Course Stadium.
Speaker 3: From a playing standpoint, is it safe to say, as you reflect back on your playing career, you were most proud of how versatile you were for your football team.
Speaker 4: That's that's the Yeah, that's the probably the number one and only thing probably that that I would distinguish me from anybody else would be the fact that played, you know, all five positions in the offensive line and did it, uh in one game, two different times in one year or so. That was that was always. That was an amazing thing.
Speaker 3: And uh, I still I mean you say that, I hope that hits people. Is what you just said. Take me through how it unfolded that you not not five times in different spots in one season, you did it in one game.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was a challenge.
Speaker 4: I mean Mike McCormick was my offensive line coach and he would give us a written tests every week on assignments.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he would give us two grades. One in the upper left hand corner was it was your grade on your position, and upper right hand corner corner was everybody on the offensive line and the five offensive lineman and uh, you know I started grading pretty well in both areas, and he's like, you know, we might, uh see, you might start working a little bit at some of these other positions.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And particularly in past protection. You know, there's different techniques who want to teach you and blah blah blah. And Mike McCormick was an All Pro tackle himself with the Cleveland Browns, for Paul Brown, so we had a common denominator there. But uh, yeah, Mike McCormick was a big factor in me being able to play all those all those different positions in the same game.
Speaker 3: How strongly did you consider could could we? Could we have been talking about Dave Lapham the coach instead of Dave Lapham the broadcaster. Did you think about coaching? You You thought about it strongly getting into coaching.
Speaker 2: Didn't you?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? I did.
Speaker 4: Lance, Yeah, I thought long and hard about it. Paul Brown offered it up and said, you know, think you'd be a good line coach. And he felt like at the NFL level, like I had Rock all Pirot at Syracuse who he respected, and then in the NFL level because he respected Ben Schwarzwalder so much at the collegiate level, and then at the NFL level, to have Tiger Johnson, Mike McCormick, those kind of people.
Speaker 5: He knew what they were all about.
Speaker 4: He knew he hired those guys, he knew their resumes, He knew that they were both Pro Bowl players, great linemen, great players of their era, and and had taken on the coaching profession and succeeded very very well. So, you know, he he took me into his office at the stadium and said, you know, would you have an interest? And I'm like, I'm not sure, let me let me think about it. And really, for the sake of my wife and children, I just didn't want to be hopscotching around here as much, so I thought, well, stay in the broadcast end of it. And it's worked out. We've been been here for fifty years, ten as a player and forty in the booth.
Speaker 3: Now, man, oh man, what what does anything stick out from your very first game as a player with the.
Speaker 4: Bengals, Boy, very first game as a player. I just know I remember my very first practice probably as much as my very first game because it was against Mike Reid. I mean, the All Pro defensive tackle who was a concert pianist and a musician songwriter. I mean, yes, this dude was unbelievably talented. My god, he was amazing. He was like sixty three two fifty five two sixty I mean so quick. It's like, I know, I didn't close my damn eyes. How the hell did he get from there to there?
Speaker 5: So fast? He was.
Speaker 4: I used to just love all the offensive line we'd stand on the side instead of sitting now with stand there and watch him.
Speaker 5: What's he gonna do? Oh?
Speaker 4: Here he comes, here it is, here's the play. He's gonna make a big one.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 4: He impacted the game from the defensive tackle position more than any alignment I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I always thought he would be a great subject for ESPN's thirty for thirty, Absolutely for people who do just don't understand and appreciate how good he was as a football player walking away from it, and how good he was a singer songwriter. He's in the Nashville Music Hall of Fame. Ronnie MILLSAP songs, Bonnie Rait songs, his own songs. I was at now I'm flashing back to this. I was at the Blind Lemon with my wife a couple of years ago, first time I'd never been there, and I looked at all the pictures up on the wall of Mike Reid, and I'm like, if people only understood, there should be an ESPN thirty for thirty on the life of Mike Reid.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really he was an unbelievable football player, and only like you said, Lance, he left the game four years after his fourth year, you had to play five to be invested pension.
Speaker 5: And he said, yeah, forget it, I'm done with it.
Speaker 4: He hated football, hated it, hated the physicality of it. I mean when I was a rookie, I was, you know, young and enthusiastic and you know, energetic, and I was coming off the line of scrimmage like it was a game, you know, and he's like, hey, hey, hey, big boy, you know sixty two, you know he settled down, Slow down, my man. Uh, you know, this is a long season. You're you're you're gonna you're gonna kill me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's I'm not interested in in in doing this. And it's like, oh man. Then I remember him sitting me down in uh in the locker room when he was gonna retire and talking about it and how heartfelt it was and everything. He just uh, I mean, the good Lord blessed him. But he said, you know what, Lord, you also blessed me as a musician. I'm gonna try that for a while.
Speaker 3: All right, final question about your broadcasting career. Take me back to like your first year, did you what what kind of broadcasting ex did you have any broadcasting experience before you started calling games.
Speaker 5: No I didn't, I really didn't.
Speaker 4: You know, just interviews, you know with uh, with people with local you know, media in town.
Speaker 3: And you would have started with Phil Samp, right, Phil Samp was your first.
Speaker 5: Ye, Phil Samp.
Speaker 4: I've had every uh, every play by play person uh in Bengals history for radio broadcasting has been a partner. And it's been uh, it's been great. It's been very interesting. And uh, I'll tell you what, man, love football, played football ever since I could walk, really and uh and do it as long as I have truly blessed man oh man.
Speaker 3: I in fact, I wrote down I don't think I'm missing any names you would know, from Phil Samp to Ken Brews to Paul Keels right to Pete Arbagas, how do you do to Brad Johansson to now Dan Horde? Absolutely wow, man, I uh man, I we're out of time. I could do this all night. I am so before you. I just I just I hearing all your family coming back. What a weekend it's gonna be for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is. And I'm excited for my my grandchildren. You know, they're they're they're over the moon, they're on cloud dying. It's like, and buddy, buddy, buddy, buddy, you're gonna go in the Ring of Honor?
Speaker 5: Is that is that?
Speaker 4: Like it's not like the Hall of Fame. I said, it's not really the Hall of Fame, but it's an you know, it's an it's a great honor achievement.
Speaker 5: I never thought I would.
Speaker 4: Uh uh so now it's and I'm I'm The thing I'm most happy about is you guys are gonna be there, and you guys are gonna be down on the field. We're gonna be on the field. Yeah, how about that? So get ready tell all your friends. Oh, that's awesome. That's awesome. Congratulations, Thank you, very cool, very cool. Take a time out, come back. We got to head down the stretch. We've got things to get to.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 3: Bengals Line, Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred W l W. Hey, we're rolling right along, cruising through this third hour tonight of Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network, seven.
Speaker 4: LW Lance Bengals Friday Night Stripes Tour presented by a howl Kat is back for all locations this season. Ortengals dot Com slash community.
Speaker 3: We Love Dan Horde's weekly conversation with a member of the Bengals this week is Shamar stuart for fun facts. So let's take a listen Dan Horde with Shamar.
Speaker 1: No fantastic fun facts with Dan Ord.
Speaker 9: Time for some fun facts with defensive end Shamar Stewart. Your roots are Jamaican? Correct?
Speaker 8: Yes, correct, my mom, everybody, Yeah, everybody, My favorite Jamaican.
Speaker 9: Ever had the chance to go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when I was little, I haven't been in like it's all of the years. Maybe now it's been in a while.
Speaker 9: You grew up near Miami. What do you like most about where you're from?
Speaker 8: Uh, the love for football, Like the city is just like it's all about football, like little league games, high school games, whatever, whatever. It is at the whole community showing up, coming out to see.
Speaker 9: And yet I've read that when you were really young you weren't really a sports kid. Is that true?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, not at all. You know, I was more I was more of like a book nerd. Crazy to think that, but yeah, So what changed?
Speaker 9: What flipped the switch?
Speaker 8: One of my stitude teachers in third grade forced me to play football like he was not taking over an answer, so he got my grandma's number and basically forced me to force me to the part he was coaching.
Speaker 9: That that guy did you a favor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, his son is my best friend to this day.
Speaker 9: Now, is it true that you were really the last kid picked in gym class when you were about in sixth grade?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: I was terrible. I was horrible. They used to say I have two left hands. Yeah, I was terrible.
Speaker 9: We're doing fun facts with Jamar Stewart. When you were junior in high school, one of your teammates was Ohio state wide receiver Jeremiah Smith. Could you tell them that he was going to be that guy?
Speaker 8: I knew he's gonna be great, but he just kept working. Now it just blew all everything I thought about him aout the water like that lesson was there since he came to my high school. So not a big shock. I've seen what he did, Like first couple of weeks when he was in full camp, I was like, man's crazy. As a freshman in high school.
Speaker 9: It's crazy to me to think that you two guys were in the same high school team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we weren't winning nothing.
Speaker 9: Crazy crazy, right, bad quarterback.
Speaker 6: I'll correct on D one. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 9: The other teams must have been really good.
Speaker 6: Man, I guess. So it's crazy.
Speaker 9: We're doing fun facts Schamar Stewart, You were one of the top recruits in the country. Did you enjoy the process having all of those schools and coaches essentially flirt?
Speaker 6: No? No, man, those phone calls just get crazy.
Speaker 8: I used to come home, hey man, call me, Like I got like ten calls from different coaches from all across the.
Speaker 6: Country, like, hey man, get back Abby, wait on it. Every asker your phone.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I'll be wanting to talk, Like what are they to talk about?
Speaker 9: You ultimately chose to go to Texas A and M. What did you enjoy most about your three years with the Aggies?
Speaker 8: And you know, the coaching staff there REI just treat you like family, you know, even though I'm two thousand miles away from home, Like I didn't feel like I was missing home very much. So and plus I made lifelong friends at A and M, so like I feel like I had a home away from home, you know.
Speaker 9: So I read that your nickname at Texas A and M was the Menace? Is that true? And who gave you that nickname?
Speaker 6: I forgot who exactly gave it to me?
Speaker 8: But I got it back in high school, going every day trying to get better. So of course of my practice hard, you know, make it hard for our office, you know, playing hard in practice to make our office better. And in the games, you know, I'm just all over the field and I'm just a little menace.
Speaker 6: On the field.
Speaker 9: What does the word man represent to you?
Speaker 8: Somebody has always been instructive, so I feel like that defines me very well.
Speaker 9: So I broadcast the Bengals games on the radio. When you have a sack, would you like me and my broadcast partner Dave Lapham to say a sack by the menace?
Speaker 5: I would love that.
Speaker 6: I will love that all right.
Speaker 9: Well, hopefully there will be a bunch this year. Do you have been compared to a Texas A and m legend Miles Garrett for obvious reasons, your similar size, similar athletic ability. What do you think of Miles Garrett? What do you think of the comparison?
Speaker 8: Man, he's a great player, and I feel like that's a blessing because the.
Speaker 6: Way he's doing it right now, he's coming the game.
Speaker 8: And I feel like that's a very great, great comparison. I feel like we look we match up body wise. No, I'm trying to match someone play wise.
Speaker 9: Was it a goal of yours to top the numbers that he posted at his combine?
Speaker 6: Kind of?
Speaker 5: Sort of?
Speaker 8: You know, I feel like if I could get what he got, people will look at me a different light. So I tried my hardest. He got me some arias, and I got him in some areas to.
Speaker 9: You got him in the forty, You got him in the broad jump. He got you by one inch in the vertical. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 8: That's crazy because I felt like I jumped out my spine.
Speaker 6: It's crazy.
Speaker 9: All right, we're visiting with Shamar Stewart. Let's get back to athletic testing. Those numbers were freakish that you posted in Indianapolis. What do you consider to be your greatest athletic achievement? Did you dunk get a really early age?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: What stands out to you?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: I don't. I got my first dunk in sixth grade?
Speaker 9: Sixth grade?
Speaker 6: Yeah, five nine.
Speaker 9: That's amazing. You were the seventeenth overall pick in the draft. You'll always be referred to as first round draft pick. Shamar Stewart. It becomes almost like a title. Can you describe the experience of being in Green Bay at Lambeau?
Speaker 8: You know, I was really happy, you know, I was thankful for a moment, you know, me and my family, everybody that had been along with me every step of the way, it was there, so you know, you know, I just took the night in, enjoyed it. Not they didn't really have much expectations, just if it was God's playing, So just wanted to be in the moment with everybody that I love.
Speaker 9: You did a phone call with reporters afterward and you didn't specifically remember meeting with the Bengals at the combine, And I get it. It's speed dating. You're going from team to team to team. It's like, you know, fifteen minute meetings with all of these teams. When you came into Cincinnati and you saw Zach Taylor and you saw El Golden and you saw Jerry Montgomery, did it click back in? Did you remember?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, those guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's kind of hard, Like you gotta remember I had twenty two formos, a couple infemos, and then I had fifteen thirty visits. So my mind is just all over the place. I'm ready for it over. I'm ready to be in one place. So when I see him, like, okay, I'm definitely remember MIDI Yo.
Speaker 9: The important thing is that they remembered you really well.
Speaker 6: I thank god they remembered me. If damn my memory, I'll probably be cooked right now.
Speaker 9: The next day, you were in Cincinnati for a news conference. You were accompanied by your mentor, Mo, the man you call dad. How did he come into your life?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: He came.
Speaker 8: He became my coach after my freshman year of high school. I remember walking to seeing him for the first day.
Speaker 6: I was maybe like.
Speaker 8: Two two fifteen. Maybe he was like and I was like two fifteen six four. He's like, I don't know who you are, but I'm gonna make your best pen of country. Fast forward five months later, I was the best parent in the country. And ever since that day, I just listened to everything he told me.
Speaker 9: Do you know what he saw in you?
Speaker 6: No, but I'm glad he did because I didn't see them myself.
Speaker 9: Time for some wild card topics now with Shamar Stewart. Who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 6: All time favorite athlete? Who?
Speaker 9: Derek Rosse, Derek Rose, that's a deep cut. You might be the first person who ever say Derek Rose.
Speaker 6: Man, Derek Rose is crazy.
Speaker 9: All right, Derek Rose, that's a very interesting answer. Other than playing football, what are you good at?
Speaker 6: I'm good at video games?
Speaker 8: What in particular I'm good at playing two K you know, call dow used to be my thing for a while.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to explore on the on the game of Horizon.
Speaker 9: On the flip side, is there anything that you are really terrible at?
Speaker 2: Singing?
Speaker 8: The man wanted singing. I'm terrible singing. My voice is not meant for singing. God messing with a lot of things. Was singing was not one of them. Even in the shower, Even in the shower.
Speaker 6: I'll be terrible.
Speaker 9: Have you given any thought to a SAX celebration?
Speaker 6: Get my first one?
Speaker 8: I'm a I'm gonna have to plan one out for the next one, because like now, they're coming in so but the first one, I don't got nothing plan for the first one.
Speaker 9: First one is whatever just happens in the moment, and then once you've got one under your belt, you can start playing.
Speaker 6: I make I'm gonna making my next one my signature.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 9: Is there a team or an opponent that you are most excited to face. The Dolphins home county team, you know, the.
Speaker 8: East to have My favorite player, Tiger Carroll was my fair player for a while, being the kid watching those type of people on TV and then one now playing against them. You know, it's gonna be a big opportunity, you know, because I used to look up too those people and being being on the same field as them at the same time.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a great it's a great achievement.
Speaker 9: Christmas Week in prime time at Miami, that's gonna be quite the deal for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, the whole family's gonna be out there. You know, everybody's gonna be cheering me on.
Speaker 6: I'm home. I anticipate be very comfortable.
Speaker 9: Did you go to games there when you were young?
Speaker 6: I went to maybe a couple, not a lot, but a couple.
Speaker 3: Part of the conversation Dan Horde had with Shamar Stewart for Fun Facts. More of that interview found on the Bengals Booth podcast Still Ahead Talk some Jets. You'll hear what Aaron Glenn had to say about changing quarterbacks yesterday and since the Bengals won, we will end the show with the presentation of the game balls and what was said in the locker room. All of that is ahead as we head down the stretch. Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Hey, welcome back to Bengals Line on this Monday night. We do it on the Bengals Radio networking right here on seven hundred WLW Lance, but have Lester Dave lap them. Next up, those New York Jets losers yesterday thirteen to six to the Carolina Panthers. The Jets dropped to oh to seven. They made a quarterback change in game justin fields out Tyrod Taylor in Here's the opening thoughts on yesterday's loss from Jets coach Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 10: All Right, when it comes to injuries, j to Felley went out the game with a knee and Sauce and can they both had concussion.
Speaker 6: So we'll see exactly where that is.
Speaker 10: Give you guys an answer as the week progress on those three guys. When it comes to the game, I mean, obviously disappointed. Another low scoring game where the defense did a hell of a job, you know, holding this holding this team to thirteen points, getting a good amount of three and outs, but obviously not good enough. I mean, we give it too many points till I'm to win the game offensively. We have a lot of work to do and that speaks for self. We all know that. But the only thing we can do is go back to work. It's the only thing we can do. I understand the nature of the quarterback change, Listen, we needed a spark at that time. I felt it was the right time to do it. There was a tough situation for both of those guys, but it was my call. It was my call, and I felt it was the right time to do it. So when it goes into the next week, I'm not ready to sit here and say what's going on happen when next week with our quarterbacks, But I will say this, that's something I have to look at, you know, so any questions, I will say this. On a special team, I thought our special team did some good things. There was a couple of things that that we still have to work on, you know, for the most part, but there.
Speaker 5: Are some good things our special teams did.
Speaker 10: I was just gonna hurt cause canas out you know, with see exactly what it is gonna lead to because he's.
Speaker 5: He's one of our dynamic guys.
Speaker 10: But I thought there were some good things on special teams.
Speaker 4: When you did make the change, it looked like you had a little bit more flow offensively with Tyrod, even though that's a great playing.
Speaker 6: The end zone.
Speaker 5: But what did you did you feel out at all?
Speaker 10: You know, Yeah, I just I just felt like it was it was time, you know, that our team needed to spark, and I thought we did move the ball, you know, fairly well, obviously not enough to give our chief a chance to win. Yeah, those guys made two great plays on interceptions, and I guess the tough thing about that is, man, you rather have where either we catch it it's a dp I or it's incomplete, you know. And that has to be the mindset of us on offense to where we're not giving up interceptions. So but they happen, you know, got to get those guys credit. They made some plays, but we have to be able to pull out you know, these little scoring games. The thing is our guys are fighting. There's no quitting any of our guys. So I give those guys a lot of credit, but again we have to go back to work next week.
Speaker 11: Could you talk about some of the issues with past protection.
Speaker 10: They were not a big sack team coming in and I think they equals well, again, I have to go back and look at it, but it seemed like we lost a good bit of one on ones and that can happen in those situations, and I guess it's obviously. I mean, team's gonna try to pressure us, and we have to do a better job in those situations. So again, we have to look at the take, you know, see exactly what the issues are, go back to work next week and try to fix those.
Speaker 3: Aaron Glenn, rookie coach, was the defensive coordinator or the Jets or the Lions last year. It becomes the first Jets coach to lose his first seven games to begin his career. Jets haven't scored an offensive touchdown in the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh and seven.
Speaker 3: Boy, I'd like to jump on them quickly and give them little reason to stay engaged in the game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: I think you've hit on the biggest factor and not surprised with all the football that you've seen. Paul Brown used to say that when we were going against the team they hadn't won a game. He would be like, jump right down their throats, you know, right away, take all the air out of their out of their lungs, you know, hit them as hard as you can, for as quickly as you possibly can. We don't want to mess around. We don't want it to be scoreless after the first quarter, scores at halftime, have them in the game at the end of the third quarter. We want this game to be over with And he honestly, he remember he told me one time, I'd rather play against a team you know that's that's seven and zero rather than oh and seven, because I know my guys are going to be up to beat them. They want to be the first team to knock them off, you know, And that's just human nature. And he said, you know, he used to worry about these these games, and I think Mike, being the son of Paul Brown, I think he probably has has his share of worry about this one as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll take our final time out, head down the stretch. We'll hear what it sounded like in a victorious locker room. To wrap things up on Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go down the stretch final segment of the.
Speaker 3: Night here on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. We always like to after victories listen in on what it sounded like and the presentation of the game balls, and you better believe we're doing that. Let's go back to Thursday night. Here is Zach after a big win over the Steelers.
Speaker 7: Sure it is early in the season, but I couldn't be happy for you guys because we've sat in these locker rooms the last four weeks and preached you guys are working hard, you're sticking together.
Speaker 11: You're about the right stuff. It's gonna come. And this feeling right now you have.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's Tony October, but the feeling reminds you of why we do this. Okay, to get a big divisional win. What's your wrecking the division right now? So we got time, we get a little streak going here, but we're gonna be in great shape. What you guys did tonight is outstanding.
Speaker 11: I got a lot of game boss to give out turnovers. Say his name a lot. I feel like Jordan Battle.
Speaker 2: Where are you at?
Speaker 11: I know, Roy City, I don't know how you did it, d J. We needed it.
Speaker 9: Man, I know I'm telling you.
Speaker 11: I'm telling you these divisual games.
Speaker 7: Every point matters Moneymack four field goals, a game.
Speaker 2: Winner points time.
Speaker 11: Man, let me start by saying this about the offense real quick.
Speaker 7: Anytime you have four hundred and seventy yards fast game one hundred and forty two rushing three forty two, that means your line your damn good job and telling us so YouTube captains got shot out game.
Speaker 11: Tell me eleven carries for.
Speaker 7: A nine point eight yard average per carry one hundred eight yards. Give me thirty one thirty one for forty seven forty two yards touchdowns.
Speaker 11: Here we go.
Speaker 7: I'm breaking his own franchise record for catches in the game sixteen. Understand, keep this filming right here, right here, keep this maintain this.
Speaker 11: Level of aity.
Speaker 3: Zach Taylor, game balls and the sounds of victory.
Speaker 5: Nowa day.
Speaker 3: Final thoughts on Sunday, boy, if you can get away over the Jets, he get back to five hundred all of a sudden, after everything you've been through, they would go to bed Sunday night at four and four, And how good a position would that be for this football team? After where they were to get to where they would be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're exactly right, Lance.
Speaker 4: I mean there's there's a lot of football left to be played, and uh, you know, crawling back to five hundred is nice. You know, you start off two and oh, Zach Taylor never won his first two games to start a season. And you lose four in a row. You know, it's it's the old roller coaster like we talked about. It's the National Football League. You can't give up the ship, you know if you do all go on a four game losing streak. And this team hasn't. This team does have character, they do have five or they know what it's in football games. And they just beat the division leader. So you're in second place and you just knocked off the division leader. You have two division wins, you're two and zero. Build on it. Build on it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a playan have a great weekend again. I could not be happier for you. Sunday is gonna be awesome. Enjoy with your family, all right, shall do?
Speaker 5: Lance? Appreciate you? Sir?
Speaker 2: He is Dave Blackham. I'm Lance Pacallister.
Speaker 3: This has been Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals line on the Bengals Radio Network pay Corps. Pay Corps is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Ulti Viper Aulti Viper the official WiFi and Internet provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the fest Bengals coverage.