Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been to Downey Hunday together. We've been to Benny Boy Brewing together. How about being in the Dodger dugout together with two time World Series champion Alex Vesia.
Speaker 3: You really missed me a lot. I could tell hi, Dave. How you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing good? Are you?
Speaker 3: Everything's great? How about you?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously we don't get a chance to talk too much about the pitching when we're having fun away from the stadium, But at this stage of the season, where would you say you're you're feeling?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I'm feeling pretty good. You know. We try to take it one day at a time.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have the family trip coming up Pittsburgh in Chicago, so that'll be fun. Happy to have Kay on board, and you know, just trying to take one day at a time. We with angels today, Tomorrow, Sunday, so let's go get three wins.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that to your family take them to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Well, technically that was Kay's choice to go to Pittsburgh. I think that they've got some stuff planned the wives and families have some stuff planned.
Speaker 4: But hey, yeah, she want she wanted to. I think she's never been there.
Speaker 1: She's never been to the White Sox, so she's like, I need to check that off the bucket list.
Speaker 4: So I told her, let's go.
Speaker 2: All right, I vesia trip to Pittsburgh and Chicago coming up. How are you doing this at this stage of your career. You still have a lot left in the tank. A lot of people regard you as one of the best relievers in baseball.
Speaker 4: Thanks, but you appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but you're not the guy that throws ninety seven ninety eight, but you find a way.
Speaker 4: Nope, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't throw very hard, Dave, but I think the easiest thing is just to make sure the hitter is guessing right, so it's being able to throw my slider for a strike.
Speaker 4: I've thrown the change up well this year as well, you know, but I love throwing the fastball.
Speaker 1: It's just something that, you know, I've always felt like I've had a good feeling for and obviously my slider and my changeup have gotten better.
Speaker 4: You know. I have to thank the.
Speaker 1: Dodger pitching coaches for helping me that developed that over the years, and you know, I love being on this team and this year has been really special.
Speaker 3: How much do you trust your change up these days?
Speaker 1: I've i mean lo over the last few outings, Will and Rushing I've called it a lot more.
Speaker 4: So I think it's they're trusting it more. For myself, I'm just I'll go out there and just throw it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not not really think too much about it, but yeah, it's been it's been good.
Speaker 2: It seems like that's the new pitch a lot of guys are coming up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like last year was the splitter for like right hand a lot more right handers. I think for myself adding the changeup is is we helped me get right handers and left handers out.
Speaker 4: So yeah, the third pitch is always nice.
Speaker 2: But Alex VESSI, when you talk about him, you talk about the rising fastball, the spin rate. How do you get the baseball to do that? And is it still always a work in progress?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's something I feel like I've always kind of had, even in college in the minor leagues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't really tell you, like I just kind of throw. It's just my way of throwing. I guess I'm not too sure.
Speaker 2: But is it like how ken Lee Jansen just naturally would throw a cut fastball?
Speaker 4: So yeah, sort of because I don't like train that. You don't really train it. It's kind of just naturally within the throw.
Speaker 1: I think this spin efficiency on the baseball is what helps to because it's it's very close to one hundred percent, so it means it matches like my armslot pretty well. But yeah, I mean if we get into data analytics, we'll be here for at.
Speaker 3: Least an hour, Dave, So you know that's way over my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Alex Vesia is our guest before first pitch of the Freeways series. One guy I wanted to ask you about because he's so quiet and he's been so vital to the success of your bullpen.
Speaker 3: Is it Gardo Enriquez? What can you tell us about it?
Speaker 4: Gardo super human?
Speaker 1: Just when you see Mountain and you're like, oh, that's a big guy, right, like Stocky, you know, big shoulders, when you're next to him, I feel so small.
Speaker 4: He's just well, you know, he's a unit. He throwing one hundred and four. Yeah, but he is he is quiet, So we.
Speaker 1: Do like to kind of get him out of his shell. Chico and Hammer in the bullpen. They definitely get him out of his shell. And that's it's fun there. I'm really happy that, you know, we're able to have fun with him. And but he is quiet. He's a quiet guy, but it's just that's his thing.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like he's starting to come into his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I think you know, last year he was hurt for a little while, so like this year, being hopefully all the way all the way through the season.
Speaker 4: You know, his success and.
Speaker 1: You know he's learning, and you know, he had a quick rise up here, you know. And the one thing he comes into the ballpark every day with a good head on his shoulders, and he has a really good routine. You know, he's always you know, has has just a good attitude, you know, regardless of success or failure. And I think that's a really big key to having success in the game, is just being able to wake up the next day and still, you know, work towards those goals and and not have the highs too high or the lows too low.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like Tanner Scott has learned that in his year and a half with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like he's getting better at that?
Speaker 1: I mean, Tanner's had a lot of success in his career, you know, and he's had big spots in postseason games, and I just think that, you know, sometimes baseball is just a tough sport man, and and you can do everything right and still not have success, you know. And you know, we got to know each other really well last year, and for him to have you know, success this year, it's it's been It's been really awesome to see. And I feel like I feed off of that as well, just because like we're you know, we're both lefties down there, and it's like when he's doing good and when I'm doing good, like it's it's just the the mojo and just like that confidence I think just gets even.
Speaker 2: Higher before I let you go, Alex Bessia. Every year it is a new year. Every bullpen is obviously different. Do you feel like you guys are trying to build your own identity for twenty twenty six?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you asked me that when we were at Downy and I'm still trying to figure out what.
Speaker 4: Exactly we're gonna call ourselves. You know.
Speaker 1: I always like the Bullpen Dogs, but you might have to switch it up, so you might have to come back with me with and hopefully we'll get a name for us well.
Speaker 3: As long as you're in the bullpen, it's the Bullpen Dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was Bazooka like that, Like he he was the one that like really set the tone for that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well we'll see, okay, all right, we'll.
Speaker 3: Work on it. We'll be together again off campus one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, I see you every day.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, have a good day.