Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on TET. You have to fight off being satisfied your pregame look at the back to back World champion Dodgers is brought to you by Alignment Health Plan. Welcome to a new era of ag spectrum and by your Sokel Chevy Dealers.
Speaker 2: Together.
Speaker 1: Let's try now your pre game host of the world champion La Todgers, Tam Cats.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, and welcome in too. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on this Saturday afternoon, May second, as you're back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers sit at twenty and twelve on this season after a five hundred homestand the Dodgers road trip last night started out on a disappointing note in Saint Louis. This afternoon, though, back at it, new day, new game, Roki Sasaki on the mound. First pitch from Bush Stadium in Saint Louis is set for four fifteen. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here. On Morongo Casino Dodgers on d you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts, certainly not happy after last night's loss. We'll preview this pitching matchup, David Massey is gonna go one on one with Joe Kelly. Yes, former Dodger reliever, former Cardinal pitcher. He's been on both sides of this rivalry as well. So we'll hear from Joe Kelly. Last night you heard from Tommy Eman, who's played for both teams. Today, Joe Kelly, that's coming up in about forty five minutes, we got your Dodgers magical moment. We'll hear from Immett Sheen coming up in a little bit. We got your ow Tani rewind and in just a few minutes, we will head out to the Galloping Ford Broadcast booth in Saint Louis and check in with Tim Neffett and Rick Monday Well. Last night in Saint Louis, a rough start for the Dodgers. Immitt Sheen on the mound and in the first he got into trouble runners on second and third with two outs, Immage Sheen balked in a run the first run of the game, given the Cardinals a one nothing lead. Then Nolan Gorman tacked on.
Speaker 4: Moore and now delivers the three too. It's swung on and crushed deep right field. It's gone a two run home run for Gorman. It's three nothing Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Just like that, three to nothing. The Cardinals led after one inning as the Dodgers down but not out completely. In the second, they get runners on two outs for Max Mounsey.
Speaker 4: Oh two pitch and Max Wings hits a drive deep to left center field, heading back to the wall and is off the wall rounding third already as Pie is, he'll come indo score and pulling in with a two out run scoring double is Max Munsey. It's three to one.
Speaker 3: He Dodgers on the board. Thanks to Max Munsey with the RBI double as for monthly RBI number twelve on this season, his fifth double of the year. But the Cardinals got the run right back in the bottom of the third Alec burleson a home run down the right field line, just inside the fair fool as he hits it out for a four to one Cardinals lead. The Dodgers of the sack fly from Kyle Tucker in the sixth made it a four too game, but then things unraveled in the seventh inning as the Cardinals scored three more runs. They go on and beat the Dodgers last night seven to two. The Dodgers scored two runs on seven hits, but had two costly airs in the game. Matthew Libertard pitched into the sixth thinning to get the win, his first of the year. Imit Sheen pitched into the fifth, officially four and two thirds four runs all earned, eight hits, eight strikeouts, no walks, but the Bok brought in a one and then a couple of home runs. He threw ninety seven pitches, but imag Sheen gets tagged with the losses first of this season, and Guardo Nriqez ended up giving up three runs in the seventh inning as the Dodgers just could not come back. They dropped the Cardinals seven to two, as the Dodgers fall to twenty and twelve overall on this season. As the Dodgers, right now flowing around five hundred baseball the last week or so, look to get back on track in St. Louis, game two of this three game weekend series. Roki Sasaki on the mount, first pitch coming up at four fifteen, and with more we head out to the galloping four broadcast booth as we say hello to Tim Neverett and Rick Monday.
Speaker 4: Guys, tam thanks very much. Nice day here. A little on the cool side once again as the Dodgers and Cardinals get sent for game two of this three game weekend series. Cardinals winning the opener last night by a seven to two score. They are now nineteen and thirteen. They've won five straight and during those five games have outscored the opposition thirty seven to twenty. The Dodgers meantime twenty to twelve. They remained a half game in front of the Padres in the National League Western Division, but they've scored only five runs in the last three games in their first three game losing skid of the season. They look the break out of it today. Roki Sasaki on the hill. He's one and two. Michael McGreevy, you know, the right hander also one and two, the pitcher for the Cardinals, and moll That's been the question about the Dodgers is where did the bats go?
Speaker 5: Well, the bats right now are taking a nap. Not only have they scored just the five runs in the three games you mentioned, they've allowed twelve and with runners in scoring position in a three game loss, collectively hitting just one sixty seven.
Speaker 6: That's going to change.
Speaker 5: It needs to change a.
Speaker 4: Couple of guys.
Speaker 5: You know, there's been some I can't say flu that's going around, a couple of guys under the weather. If we look at Freddy Freeman last night, found out after the ballgame that actually told his manager, Hey, look, I don't know if I could go the entire game, but I'll give you exactly what I've got. He was in there for nine innings. So yeah, it's one of those areas that the bats are rather silent overall. I mean, you look at the Tiascar Herdanez the last sixteen games hitting at buck sixty for Andy pie Haz, he's cooled off the last thirteen games hitting at one eighty eight. The one guy that is really doing the job is Max Munsey. The last thirteen games, He's hitting well over three fifty with ten extra base hits in those thirteen games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Munsey's getting it done on the other side of the coin. In his last thirteen games, Andy Piez is hitting only one eighty eight no home runs during that time. His average in the last two weeks has dropped ninety five points.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's dropped. One thing that I did see and looking earlier today about the ball clubs and how they're doing things. Defensive runs saved the DRS is the initials you look at it. The Dodgers are second best in Major League Baseball. They have saved twenty two different runs. So the defense has been there. Now the question is going to be, I think the starting rotation with rookie Sasaki. We'll talk about him a little bit later on in the pregame show. But the bats, yes, they need to come alive. They've created a few opportunities, but they've not been able to cash in.
Speaker 4: Cardinal bats have been red hot. Over the last seven games. They've had sixteen home runs. They've had homers in seven straight. He's on the Dodgers over their last ten games, only three home runs. That's the fewest they've had in a ten game span since July of twenty fourteen. So they've got a home run draft too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And if you look at it these two ball clubs, you say, well, if you're going to balance the home runs of the power department, the numbers, you miss Mitch with the Dodgers, but for the Cardinals, they'd had home runs in seven consecutive ball games. And if you look it over the last number of days too. You know, the sixteen home runs in that span of winning a lot of ballgames, seven consecutive games on top of that. So yeah, they're fourth as far as high number of home runs in that period of time.
Speaker 4: Great thing about baseball you never know what you're going to, never know, and there's peaks and valleys and there's always a way out. And the Dodgers still with one of the top offenses in all of baseball. Dodgers Cardinals. Roki Sasaki pitching for the Dodgers. Michael McGreevy for the Cards.
Speaker 3: Tim all right, thank you guys. Dodgers going to play. Despite losing three in a row and just four and six in their last ten, there's still a half game up with the San Diego Padres and the NL West. As the Padres have cooled off, they have lost three in a row and are playing five hundred baseball the last two weeks. So the Dodgers a half game lead in the division, and we of course counting down to first pitch. Dodger fans get that game day meal on. How about Shaky's Pizza Parlor sounds pretty good right now? You can order your Shaky's Pizza Chicken and Mojo's at Shaky's dot Com. All right, coming up here on Moroco Casino Dodgers on deck, you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David Vassi. He's gonna go one on one with Mariachi. Joe Joe Kelly's played for both the Cardinals and the Dodgers. We'll hear from him. Coming up, we'll dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. Coming up next though, you're o Tani Ree Ryan and we'll hear from Image Shean last night's tough luck loser. And that's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis on this Saturday afternoon. Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kase's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers on.
Speaker 2: Your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Leading up to Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday afternoon. Dodgers in Saint Louis for the weekend. Dropped the opener last night, seven to two. Rookie Sasaki. Michael McGreevy, the pitching matchup from Bush Stadium. First pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewhy.
Speaker 3: Well last night. The Dodgers scored just two runs on seven hits, a couple of airs defensively in the seven to two loss. Shoey Otani at the top of the order, zero for five with the strikeout. Now yesterday, May first, and of course David Veasse talking to show Heotani a few weeks ago, said April's a slow month. May he'll get it going. Let's look back at April for show Hey Otani. In ninety five at bats he hit two eighty four with six home runs, six doubles and thirteen RBI. Also walked seventeen times with a nine three three ops. Those are really good numbers for anybody in baseball. So excited to see shoey Otani himself saying that always in the month of May he gets things going even hotter. And if you can tap on what he did in April and get take it to the next level, look out, because show Hail Tani is about to bust out. Well yesterday image she and pitched into the fifth inning and give it four runs on eight hits, struck out eight, took the loss and all unraveled though in the first inning runners on second and third where he got called for a balk, and afterwards image She and caught off while they're on Kirsten Watson in the media.
Speaker 7: Met some mistake. I didn't share that I was switching to the the stretch.
Speaker 2: I know the rule.
Speaker 7: It was just in the moment I didn't declare it, and yeah, unacceptable.
Speaker 8: And you look at just kind of what followed after that. Did it just feel like things kind of went in a little haywire there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean maybe a little bit, just kind of have a better execution on that fastball to Gorman. Other than that, yeah, just just frustrating. I you know, stuff wasn't where it should be. Delivery is still a little out of whack, but we're going to stay on.
Speaker 3: It all right, image She and after the loss last night, the balk in the first in and the two run home run from Gorman and gave it three in the first, ended up pitching at the fifth inning and give it the four earned runs on eight hits, no walks, eight strikeouts, a couple of home runs. His immachine gets tacked with its first loss of the year. Of course, Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today, your car can be picked up tomorrow. That easy donate now, carsfur Kids dot Org. That's Cars with the K. When we continue here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vats he's gonna join us. He'll go one on one with Mariatchi, Jojo Kelly. But I'm an next your injury report and we'll hear from the manager. Day Roberts, who was not a happy postgame last night. So leads up to Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday, first pitch, four fifteen. I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 3: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Saturday afternoon Dodgers and the Cardinals Marongo Casino Resort a Spa, a Grand Slam for good times, Roki Sasaki and Michael McGreevy. The pitching matchup. We'll dive deeper to the numbers with Creevy from San Clemente. First pitch from Saint Louis coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers injury report.
Speaker 3: Well a long list for the Dodgers. On the injury report presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Edwin Diaz on the IL after having elbow surgery about ten days ago. Been Casparius on the IL with right shoulder inflammation. Mookie Betts working his way back off the IL with the right oblique train. Tommy Edmond, who you heard from last night with David Vass right here on Dodgers on deck, still recovering from the offseason ankle surgery. Blake Snell on the IL with left shoulder swordis. He has made two appearances on Ontario and a ball. He's also threw a bullpen session yesterday. He's with the team in Saint Louis, so that is positive news. Also positive news. Brock Stewart, who has been in the minor leagues in a ball Ontario, rapping up to come back and help out this Dodge your bullpen. Brock Stewart was acquired last year got hurt, did not help him out. In October, he made two appearances in a ball already allowed just two base runners across two outings. And then Triple A has really pitched well and back to back outing struck out nine over four to third scoreless indings in his time with OKC and Triple A. So it looks like any day now brock Stewart could be activated and joining this Dodgers' bullpen, which is a much needed arm down there. And the bully Bruce dark Radols on the il, he too is in Oklahoma City on a rehab assignment. He's gonna schedule to pitch tonight in some capacity. It to be his first time on the mount in a game since Game five of the twenty twenty four World Series. Alright, let's head back out to Saint Louis. Certainly the Dodgers lost last night seven to two. A couple of airs, did not look well on defense, didn't get those timely hits, and afterwards, here's the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: Anything Dave.
Speaker 2: Do you questions for Dave? Dave? Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I thought, uh, you know, certain guys swung the bats well. Freddie Tucks coming out of it. You know, other guys are still trying to find their way. Yeah, I mean I don't have an answer for tonight. Obviously, you know, they got big hits. There were some line drives that you know, didn't you know that we're right at guys, but you know, in total, they swung the back better than we did, and we didn't play well enough.
Speaker 8: You look at just Emmitt's first ending of work. What stood out to you in that one and honestly kind of how he was able to bounce back pretty quickly after it, but ultimately just the stuff not really being there today.
Speaker 10: I think a little bit that that balk kind of rattle them a little bit, you know, he declared, and then the third pitch he went back to the stretch, which you know, by by a rule, that's a balk, and I think he was flustered, and then you know, fast ball up and away guys it, you know, hits a homer there. But yeah, after that, I thought he settled in nicely and got back to his pitch count. And you know, for me, after he gave up that double to Walker. We was just trying to limit damage and keep the game as close as we could, and you know, Jack induced a fly ball, and you know, but again we just couldn't really push anything across tonight.
Speaker 3: All right, there's a manager Dave Roberts, certainly not happy last night after his seven to two loss Dodgers a couple of airs defensively the back as Immachiean gets tagged with the losses first of the seasons. The Dodgers look to bounce back this afternoon, though game two of his three game set from Saint Louis. When we continue here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with the David Vasse as we lean you up to first pitch. I'm Tim Kass, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: He's a Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday, Rokie Sasaki Michael McCreevy the pitching matchup. First pitch from Saint Louis coming up at four fifteen. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by al Pato born in La Made for your game day. Al Poto brings authentic Mexican style tomato sauces, salsa's hot sauces right to your table, al Poto Gourmet and a can.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 6: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David base.
Speaker 3: Right, dv Rokie Sisaki on the mound. Which Rochi we getting today?
Speaker 11: Well, you hope it's the one that will bounce off of last start where he threw fifty three percent strikes with his splitter. He threw that more than we've ever seen in any of his major league starts, and he threw it more for a strike than we've ever seen it before. And he actually worked with Mark Pryor in between starts to get that splitter thrown harder than more than just kind of a forkball screwball that had a lot less spin than what we saw last Saturday at Dodgers Stadium. So let's see how it looks today. But I mean, I go back to what Dave Roberts said in Denver. He doesn't know what to expect, So how are we supposed to know what to.
Speaker 3: Expect whatever happens today on the mound for rookie DV will this determine you think if he stays in the rotation?
Speaker 11: You know everybody's saying this weekend is kind of a tryout between Sheehan, Roki, and Robleski to see who starts when Blake Snell comes back and who maybe moved to the bullpen or to the miners. I actually believe Roki's in a class of himself, and nobody has fully wrapped their head around what the Dodger's thinking is when it comes to Roking and how much leash they're going to give him in the starting rotation pitching once a week. But it's conceivable that either Sheehan or Robleski go to the bullpen and are that piggyback starter for Rokie, similar to what we saw the first two months of last year. I wouldn't rule it out, but if you look at it on the surface, out of these three starters we're singing Saint Louis this weekend, Robleski was outpitched both Roki and Shehn this season.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 3: David is brought to you by the Fort Maverick Motor Trends at North American Truck of the Year, the Ford Maverick Everything you need, the most innovative truck with forty two miles per gallon at the best MSRP of its category. Time to see Ford in a new LG. You're Southern California for dealers today. Tommy Edman, he had a chance to catch up with the last night here on Dodgers on Deck. What is the latest with that ankle?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it feels like nobody's really talking about Tommy Edmond and how important he is to this Dodger roster. He had off season right ankle surgery. He's been slow to come back, and here's what he told us as far as where he's at in the recovery from that right ankle surgery.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. It's it's tough when you know, we're baseball players and you know, or a lot of the time we find our value and just like how we're contributing on the field. But you know, I'm trying to do everything I can to, you know, just stay part of the team and and be the best cheerleader that I can be, and you know, just supporting the supporting everybody supporting all the guys who are going through the grind and you know, hopefully I'll be a part of it soon.
Speaker 11: Have some of the young guys try to lean on you, like Alex Friedland, maybe he's Sun Kim here and there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. You've seen, uh, you know, seeing everybody go through the stuff of a regular season, you know, all the ups and downs, and you know, me not really not being able to to relate since I'm not playing, But you know, I've I've been able to have some good conversations with some of the guys and you know, just kind of trying to relate some of my own experiences and hopefully be a good influence and be a good leader for them.
Speaker 11: What's your therapy to try to maintain your patience until you come back.
Speaker 12: You know, it's we have a having two kids mix things a lot of easier. You know, there's not much downtime even when even when I'm I'm not playing, So I guess that's been a good part of it is, you know, just getting a little bit of extra time with the family. And you know, Eli's going to be a really good hitter by the end of my il stint because we're playing a lot of ball in the backyard right now.
Speaker 11: All right, Tim, So Tommy Edmund is not eligible to return off the sixty day IL until the end of May, and it is very unclear whether or not he will be ready to go when he is eligible to come off the IL because he is not running the bases. Basically, all he's doing is running in a straight line in the outfield and he is taking batting practice. But that right ankle has been tough to bounce back after he does certain activities.
Speaker 3: All right, the good stuff, DV. Let's time nout for the Dodger Derby, as we're just about thirty minutes away from the Kentucky Derby No. One hundred and fifty second Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. David, who do you like in this field?
Speaker 11: I'm actually gonna let you pick first because there's two horses, so I'm gonna give you the honors to go first.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go off script here. I'm gonna go Potente. He is the number fourteen horse. I believe he's a Bob Bafford horse. He was the favorite at the Santa Anita Derby, finished second or third. But he is a guy to look or a horse to look out for Potente in this Kentucky Derby, David.
Speaker 11: Well, Okay, I was not going to pick that horse, So I'm going with the favorite renegade, the number one horse.
Speaker 3: All right, Good luck to you, DV. Don't forget Santa Anita's got racing every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday weekend admission parking in programs are just ten dollars. Every Friday is free and explore experiences at the Great Race Place Santa Anita dot Com. Slash events still to come. Here On Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from Joe Kelly will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next for Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers and Cardinals. Tim Katese is the back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo because Dodgers Hunting game.
Speaker 2: On your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Leading up to Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday. Rokie Sasaki on the mound, first pitch from Bush Stadium and Saint Louis coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 5: I dogt dog who wants the hot It's time for the hawfing Magical Moment.
Speaker 1: Pitch Magical presented by Hawfey Hot times well.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers in Saint Louis taking on the Cardinals. Who go back to July thirteenth, twenty twenty two Dodgers and Cardinals at Bush Stadium. Dodgers were down six to nothing a rally, though in the ninth inning, if you had Hans Alberto to give him the go ahead RBI single, you win.
Speaker 4: Dire He goes first pitch to Alberto, swing online, drive pace head left field. Bellinger scores it's seven to six Dodgers. Alberto puts the Dodgers in front, and he hit a slider to the left.
Speaker 5: Tell you what you don't dare go away with the Dodgers, yarlss So what the score is? Either stay tuned or you missed the boat.
Speaker 3: Hanter Alberto the go ahead single in the top of the ninth off Giovanni Guagos as the Dodgers get the seven to six win. This Hofey Magical Moment brought to you by Hoffey Hot talks Haffey Soka's local Treasure for nearly one hundred years, Haffey Hot talks Local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Charlie Steider and Rick Monday. So we lead you up to first pitch from Saint Louis. I'm Tim Kase' is the back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 2: On your home for the blue all.
Speaker 1: Season log.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday afternoon. Rookie Sasaki Michael mcgreeby to pitching Matchuples. I have deeper than the numbers for both these guys coming up in just a little bit time now for the Verizon startup, as we are a little about about forty minutes away from the start of the game. Now, Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big. Visit the Verizon store today. We hand things off to Charlie Cider.
Speaker 13: All right, Tim, Game two of this three game series, and the Dodgers now have lost three consecutive games and they've scored only five runs in those three games. They've lost six of their last ten. Of course, the Dodgers with all the big names, and then there are the Cardinals, a young team that suddenly is beginning to flex its muscles. And they've won five in a row and during that period of time, they've outscored the opposition thirty seven to twenty. They've homeward in seven consecutive games, sixteen home runs in that seven game span. Mo, what do you see in this Cardinal team? Again, we've watched them over the years, but they're new, they're young, and basically, if you're not a hardcore baseball fan, who are these guys?
Speaker 5: Well, Charlie, if we go back the last number of years that you and I have talked about and watch these Saint Louis Cardinals, we have been saying for a couple of years, is that they did not resemble the fundamentally sound teams that we have seen in the past the Cardinals have put on the field. Well, that's changed a little bit, and it's certainly changed right now because as you're rattling off the numbers as far as victories and where they are, they start one game out of first place in the Central Division of the National League. They're a different ball club, different approach. Obviously, yes, they're on a roll. The Dodgers are not, and teams that are not scoring runs historically have looked lethargic. Well, Lethargy is not being confused with any of the Saint Louis Cardinals at the present time. What is surprising is if we look at the attendance last night Friday night, it's not raining. The Cardinals are playing very well. The Dodgers back to back World champions. They've had a long history between the two organizations. In the fact there's only twenty eight thousand as Ballpark, quite frankly for me, was rather stunning.
Speaker 13: Sounds like the Saint Louis fans. Of course, they've been as rapid as any in baseball, everybody dressed in red. I think they're probably trying to get acquainted with these new guys and are they okay?
Speaker 4: Are they for real?
Speaker 5: Well, they appear to be, at least for right now. But if we also look and I did some research yesterday morning, just kind of perusing what's happening, you know, attendance here in Saint Louis was down twenty one percent last year from the year before, So you know there's a come up in somewhere that that's going to be coming on. And if they continue to even come close to retaining how they're playing baseball right now. They're going to start drawing not only interests, but they're going to start drawing physical people here in the ballpark. And that's good news because if we look out down the right field line, as you're very aware, in this ballpark, they have the World Championship flags and you have to take a few minutes to be able to count all of them. They have a rich tradition, and really both of these organizations do.
Speaker 6: For that matter.
Speaker 13: What is going on with the Dodgers offensively last night four out of twenty four and with runners in scoring position, and it's one of those times where almost no is hitting, and those who were hitting the first three weeks of the season aren't now no.
Speaker 5: And as you mentioned, with the runners in scoring position, I mean you start to look at what they've done or not done to be more accurate. In the three game loss, they've scored five they've been they've given up twelve runs in that period of time. And he also brought up, you know, four for twenty four with runners in scoring position. We'll do the math for some of the people. That's just a one to sixty seven batting average against. But that's not going to get it done. Andy pi has and not delay the burden on Andy Pye's top of the order right now is not doing anything either with Otani and Freeman. Will Smith is kind of here and there. But for pa Hez, he's hit upon rough time the last thirteen games. He's hitting at one eighty eight. He's in there. Tonight they drop him down a little bit. He's hitting the seventh spot, and then hess On Kim another start at short stop. Alex Freeland will be at the second base position. This is a ball club, the Dodgers that need to get a going, not to hit home runs necessarily, but to get some runners on base and then be able to knock them in and get some scores up on the board.
Speaker 13: Tae Oscar has really been struggling. In his first sixteen games, he at three fourteen. In his most recent sixteen he's hitting just one sixty and so they're trying to find somebody in the middle of the lineup to get the job done. And again it has been a struggle. And the starters tonight for the Cardinals, Michael McGreevy are one in two, two ninety seven. Er Roki Sasaki a good start in his last outing, but he does have an eer at six thirty five, coming off Amasian's performance last night, which was a frustrating one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was trying to figure out Dave Roberts talking about Sasaki the last outing, because my score book shows a different analogy than maybe what Dave Roberts I think. If you put in comparative terms of what Sasaki had done the previous four starts, yes it was an improvement, but only five innings, four runs on seven hits. It took in ninety nine pitches to get through those five innings, and you start to look at it. In the five starts that he's had, you know, he's averaging less than four and two thirds innings pitch and he's only made well, here's the deal. He's only thrown sixty percent of his pitches for strikes, and that is too low at the big league level. Is giving the opposing team too many looks at different pitches' you're delivering home.
Speaker 13: Dodgers trying to right their ship today after losing three consecutive games against the cardinal team that's playing very, very well, and they wrap it up tomorrow. Then after the game tomorrow they fly off to Houston for three before coming back to Dodger Stadium, and so tonight or at least this afternoon, Sasaki find up flex his muscle. Let's see what he's got. One in two is six thirty five er gone against McGreevy. Tim, all right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Baseball is presented by Uniclo Field the Dodgers Stadium. Visit uniclow dot com, slash us still to come here on Dodgers on Deck Before first pitch, we'll dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. Tim and Rick will have the keys to the game coming up after the top of the hour. But up next we go high and tight with Mariachi Joe Joe Kelly's pitch for both sides of this Dodgers Cardinals series. We'll hear from him next as we lead you up to first pitch of Saint Louis. I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Cardinals. Rouki Sasaki on the mound, Game two of the three game set Dodgers Baseball, brought to you by and Shaky's Pizza Parler, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 2: This is high and tight.
Speaker 11: Well, since the Dodgers are in Saint Louis, I thought it would be a great time to revisit with our man that is the king of the Inland Empire, the man that has won two World Series championships with the Dodgers and is still a cult hero, the one and only Mariachi. Joe Kelly, how you buddy. Everything's great, everything's great.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: You know what bugs me, Joe about Saint Louis and the Cardinals. They always say it's the Cardinals way to play baseball. It feels like the Dodgers are doing a pretty good job of doing Dodger baseball.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 14: I think it's like, you know, when you get one of those cool nicknames, they're like, oh, how'd you get that nickname? And it was like, you know, self.
Speaker 9: Proclaimed and it's like, you don't want.
Speaker 14: To tell anybody like how you got that cool nickname?
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 14: I think the Dodgers if they would start saying the Dodgerway, and they'd be like, who said that? And you can just take something up, be like, oh, the Cardinal fans told us it's a Dodger Way, and then then you can write a whole book or a movie what everyone do about it.
Speaker 11: I don't feel like Joe Kelly would fit into that box the Cardinals try to say everybody fit into.
Speaker 14: I think that's why I got traded, Bro.
Speaker 9: I was only there for two and a half years because I don't.
Speaker 14: I don't necessarily think I was the Cardinals way now, looking back at it.
Speaker 11: You are not very Saint Louis, that's true, But I do love Saint Louis food, so I tried.
Speaker 9: You know, that's one thing I do miss.
Speaker 14: If I was doing a job like yours, what do you what do you? What do you call yours? You know? On field talent? What is that even called?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 6: How about just you?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 14: I'd be right now with the boys. I'd be taking them out. I mean, you don't hang out with the boys. The boys don't like you, but I'd be taking them out to Papy's in Saint Louis. You know what I mean. Get the boys some ribs, some good barbecue.
Speaker 13: You nap, take a nap.
Speaker 11: After that, I ready to watch the freaking That's for.
Speaker 14: Old men like you. That's for old men like you.
Speaker 11: Isn't that what you're doing now that you're retired. During the day, you're out there somewhere in the Inland Empire. You do your thing until eleven am. Then you take a nap, and then you take Knox to baseball practice, and then you show up at a hockey game or a single a baseball game.
Speaker 14: You know what, I just go for the best teams around. You know what I'm saying. It's just they called me the they call me the Inland Empire. Drake, dude, just a front runner.
Speaker 2: Nine.
Speaker 11: Drake, you are the biggest celebrity in the in the Inland Empire. I actually told the Ontario Tower Buzzers Blake Snell's rehab start the other night was the biggest thing since Joe Kelly's rehab starts out there.
Speaker 14: Hey, let's be serious, dude, I know that Blake Snell doesn't listen who got more people to show up at the game, Blake Snell or Joe Kelly.
Speaker 6: It was a toss up.
Speaker 9: No, don't throw the toss up, dude. You know this clip's gonna air.
Speaker 14: Just just you're not gonna hurt his feelings.
Speaker 2: Dude, you are.
Speaker 11: You are a legend in the Inlampire. You have more street cred in the nine oh nine than Blake Snell.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's true. Place. Blake Snell's a lot better pictures though he's pretty was I was just there forget times, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: No, you were more.
Speaker 11: You were there for more than that, And I was wondering how much how much fomo do you still have?
Speaker 6: Do you have any fomo?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 14: Fear of missing out?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 6: With the Dodger.
Speaker 14: No, And I'm I like watching, dude. It's fun. It's cool to see it from the outside.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 14: Obviously I'd like to get some more games, but I mean it's there's only so many times that I could walk past my face, you know, on the upper concourse level, and I have to say hi to the guy named David Besse. So I like watching at home. It's been interesting, you know. It's ah the thing that I that come. I was, you know, the day that I don't follow any media or nothing, right, but the day the day that show started, pitch great. But the day that he doesn't full blown hit, we scored zero runs. So that was very interesting.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'm glad you brought that up, because we we can't figure out whether or not he's all in with this plan, but it makes sense. Do you believe that you know he Do you think he understands why the Dodgers are doing this?
Speaker 6: And do you feel like he's bought in?
Speaker 14: Ooh, I can't answer for show Hey.
Speaker 9: But taking my own personal experiences, you know, they called me the show Hey of UC Riverside, even though I.
Speaker 14: Never actually played, even though I never actually took it an official at bat in college baseball. But I went in as an outfielder obviously right, and then I got turned into a picture. So originally thought I was in a two way right, I was like, oh cool, I'll just throw ninety seven or whatever that I got clocked out as a young freshman, and then I'll play the outfield. Quickly that I learn that I would be a po a picture only, so, knowing my own personal experiences, I wasn't happy, and I was not bought in. I wasn't bought in even until the end of my whole first season closing at UCR. You know, not to too my own horn, but I was Big West Pitcher of the year, I was an All American. I had the most saves in one season. I made Tmosa And even though I made Tsay, I was like, oh, maybe I could come back, and they're gonna let me hit my sophomore year, you know what I mean. So even though I was a picture only, I still I was bought in that I was a good picture, yes, but I wasn't bought in. I was leaving out hope like maybe I will hit. So that's my own personal experience. So now if I put myself in show he's mind where you know, I'm what two seasons removed from hitting fifty homers.
Speaker 9: You know, even though my batting average says I'm.
Speaker 14: Struggling at the plate, you know, when I pitched, but when we could score zero runs and once in the back I can maybe create three runs, there's a possibility that, you know, it's in the back of his mind. But he's so respectful and he's just gonna do what the organization tells him.
Speaker 9: So you know, it's hard to tell.
Speaker 14: What he thinks or what he says. But from my own experience, you know, I still thought I'd be a two way player after a season of you know, pitching really really well and callege baseball.
Speaker 11: Joe Kelly comparing his Division three UC Riverside experience to show AOTO, what's a.
Speaker 14: Respect on her side? It's a Division one program?
Speaker 6: Oh is it? Is it Division one? Now?
Speaker 14: It's still Division one? You clown?
Speaker 11: All right, all seriousness? Since o'tani is wearing your number number seventeen, what do you believe is the solution to be able to get him through a full season at thirty one years old? Now, Joe, he's not twenty eight or twenty seven.
Speaker 6: What would you do?
Speaker 11: Let him hit on the same days that he pitches and maybe give him the next day off?
Speaker 6: Would you not lead him off? How would you manage it.
Speaker 14: Just by a personal fill or a healthwise standpoint? Right, we don't know what if he's barking from, you know, taking swings and pitching, Like, what if his arm gets more tired, you know, in the past couple of starts while he's hitting, What if he's having those conversations behind the scenes, no one knows, right, So I would just probably, you know, try to be in tune with Showhy as much as I can leading up to a start. You know, if he says he's ready to rock, then I'd let him swing if something's bugging him or or maybe the swings are messing with his mechanics or you know. I mean, he's dominating on the mountain right and something you don't want to mess up. He's one of the best pitches in all of baseball, you know, American League, National League. So when that's happening, you know, as an organization, you're like, well, shoot, maybe he's more valuable as a pitcher and we could just keep him at this high level of performance that he's doing now and we'll just skip the four at bets. He's gonna get that game, you know what I mean. So if that's the case, I would, if you know that that's the reason why Show he could pitch that well, I would definitely as a as a manager or as an organization, I'd be like, hey, Show, Hey, you are the best pitcher in baseball right now, Like, do you want to mess that up? And I just asked him personally, and if he says no, they'll be like, all right, well you're not going to hit today, you know what I mean. So it just be those conversations that I have behind the scenes that no one knows. No one knows the real reason. Right, We'll never get the real reason. You know, you know how baseball goes. But you know, if it's working. You know, he dominated the mount like he is. You know, it's whatever he feels he's most comfortable with to keep that high level of performance.
Speaker 6: Joe Kelly is our guest. No introduction needed for this guy.
Speaker 11: Here's something Joe, you would have to agree though, Like you said, have a feel for what's happening in the here and now on this past homestand it's a night game and then there's a twelve o'clock game the very next day that he has to pitch the night before. You can understand in that situation, like, hey, you got to pick one day that you're not going to hit, right, I mean, that would be one of those field situations.
Speaker 14: Yeah, there's those quick turnarounds that are always good times to you know, for anybody you know, an older position player, you know, to have it like a miggy road to completely take it off where you know you're in turfs, or maybe you might pitch it or maybe an older reliever right who's you know, is good to go back to back, but since it's a quick turnaround's like, hey, might as well stay away from back to back to keep them you know, healthy down the stretch. There's always those things that go into play that that the fans won't see or or realize until you know, conversations like me and you're having right now, it has happened. So those quick turnarounds are are obviously tough. There's so much research now, there's so much you know underlying you know effects, you know, whether it's sleep, whether it's you know, my body hasn't you know, got rid of all the lactic acid yet, and I'm still sore from the day before. There's all these little things that go into it. So yeah, there there there's times to choose where you should completely have it off and and with a quick turnaround like that, I think you know, those days are obviously, you know, more easy to you know, have a conversation with the player saying like hey, this quick turnaround, why don't you just take the day off, and sometimes the player is gonna tell you, like myself, I've done them a whole career where you're gonna go out there, you know, banged up or even actually physically hurt, and you're like, I'm still gonna prove point, Like I'm I'm going to do this for my teammates. But that's what the leaders are there for. That's a doctor's for, that's what the front office is there for. That's what pitching coaches and hitting coaches there for. It's like, hey, we're taking you know, this option off the table because we know what the answer you would give us is. You're gonna play, but we're just gonna actually just not put you in the lineup on purpose, just to you know, kind of keep you away from you know, your own self harm.
Speaker 11: I'd say, hey, Joe, I know everybody loves hearing your voice. Let's do this more often, and thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Thanks TV.
Speaker 11: There he is, Tim Joe Kelly. Catch him at a I E game near you soon. We'll send it back to you for now, all.
Speaker 3: Right, thanks a lot of DV. Great to hear Mary Achi Joe's voice. Yeah you can catch him out at the Ontario Tower. Buzzers has been out there already this season throwing out the first pitch. Great to see you know old number seventeen before show. Hey, o Tani, the Great Joe Kelly Lean, you have to first pitch Cardinals and Dodgers from Saying Louis up next, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere. Tim Kase's is back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers hunting on.
Speaker 2: Your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday afternoon. First pitch from Saint Louis coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dinet, we look at the pitching MATCHOUP.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by her Toyota Dealers. We make it easy. Michael McGreevy on the mound for the Cardinals one in two two ninety seven, e twenty five year old right hander born and raised in San clement He went to San Clementi High School. Then you see Santa Barbara. He was drafted by the Cardinals second full season the big leagues after coming up in late in twenty twenty four fastball, change up, sinker, cutter, curveball, throws them all. Making his seventh start this year. Last time out, he allowed one run on six hits over six innings while striking out six in a no decision against the Mariners. Making his second career start against the Dodgers. He faced them last junat Bush Stadium. Six innings, four runs, six hits, one hundred and one pitches in a loss. Roki Sasaki on the mound for the Dodgers one and two, six thirty five era. The twenty four year old right handed down his second season in the big leagues, making his six start this year. They have given him a long runway here to earn a spot in this rotation and to keep it. It's been a rough up and down twenty two and to a third inning so far this year, twenty two strikeouts, thirteen walks. However, last time out, pitched better five innings, four runs, seven hits, six strikeouts, got a lot of raw run support in a win over the Chicago Cubs. This is Roki Sasaki's first ever starts against the Saint Louis Cardinals. Roki Sasaki San Clementi's own Michael McGreevy the pitching matchup Dodgers and the Cardinals. As we are fifteen minutes away from first pitch from Bush Stadium. Keys to the game are coming up next. Don't you go anywhere. I'm Tim Keats's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 3: Law lead you up to Dodgers and Cardinals on this Saturday afternoon. Rokie Sasaki, Michael McCreevy the pitching matchup, Game two of this three game set. Cardinals won the opener last night seven to two. Dodgers. Back at it today, first pitch coming up, being less than fifteen minutes. As we get you ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo Start Great Moments. Start with Sapporo Beer, whatever your taste preference. Soporo has you cover with the variety of crisp and refreshing loggers, including light and non alcoholic beers. Soporo good with sushi, great though with baseball. Let's head back out to the booth. One final check in with Tim Never and Rick Monday guys.
Speaker 4: Tim, thanks again. We're counting you down to the first pitcher at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis, Missouri, on a crisp evening here in early May. Roki Sasaki gets the ball one and two. He got his first win last time out against the Cubs. The Dodgers did score twelve runs in that game against the Cubs, and Roki went five innings allowed for. And he's looking to get a little better each time out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little improvement, but the numbers, at least in my estimation looking at the was a little deceiving. Ninety nine pitches it took in five innings. He gave us three home runs, by the way in that outing, so he's given up seven already this year. And that fastball, we saw it uptick as far as the velocity, but the fast ball itself, it's the fourth highest average of any pitcher in baseball. It's at three to ninety five against the heaters. So he needs to get the other pitches over and the Dodgers have to figure out from an offensive standpoint, how they're going to work to McGreevy because he's got excellent off speed stuff and mcgreevy's been on a roll. No decision last outing that was Sunday against the Seattle, but he allowed just one run on the five hits, and he has gone four of the last six starts allowing two runs or less.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first round pick. How do you see? Santa Barbara lives in San Clemente. Michael McGreevy, the right hander throwing for Saint Louis. One other note on Sasaki though moment he threw more splitters than he's ever had in a major league start, forty eight of them last time out. So what will we see today more or less? I guess we'll just see how it goes.
Speaker 5: I don't really know. Here's another number of the look at you know, he's thrown only sixty percent strikes. That's over his outings that he's had. That is well below the major league average. In order for all of his pitches, in particular that splitter. In order for the be effective, he's got to challenge that strikes so more often.
Speaker 4: Just a bit of rehab news too. Bruce dark Graderol, who hasn't pitched since Game five of the twenty twenty four World Series, has joined Oklahoma City on a rehab stint. So he is throwing and trying to make his way back to the big club. Meantime, it's Sasaki against McGreevy today, Dodgers looking to even up this series in Saint Louis, Tim all right.
Speaker 3: When the game is over, David Vassy's got you cover with all the postgame, including Dodger talk as well Dodgers and Cardinals. Dodgers looking to get back on track. Next from Saint Louis, Enjoy it. I'm Tim Kase's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: The Los Angeles Dodgers are a juggernaut. I think it's fair to ask the question of all the teams out there, do you want to win as much as the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Fact to back, the Dodgers see winning as fundamental to the business side of baseball.
Speaker 2: Sustained dominance.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 3: We often hate successful people because.
Speaker 1: Here comes a harsh piece of reality, the Dodgers dynasty. There there success at Ding Ding d This has been Morongo Casino Dodgers. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by superior grossers, quality, variety, and value. Shakey's Pizza Get more meal for deal at shakeeas dot com and by your Southern California Toyota dealers.
Speaker 2: We make it easy.
Speaker 1: First pitch is coming up on your home of the world champion LA Dodgers