Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 1: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed. This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada.
Speaker 2: Gas terrible person, He's the.
Speaker 4: Worst and Matt money Smith the pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 3: Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you, Yeah, follow.
Speaker 1: The Petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts. Now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith and me cover.
Speaker 5: Cover one condition you dance with us everything you.
Speaker 6: See your father, then you see me your feel.
Speaker 3: Mick, Yes he is what.
Speaker 6: That does happen to you?
Speaker 2: Petro some money A and five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app your home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Remember an hour from now, David Veasse will be along with off season Dodger Talk three installments this week. You can always hear that on demand if you aren't able to stick around after we get off the air. You can always hear the Petros and Money Show on demand. You can listen to today's show anything you might have missed, our NFL Power Hour with a pair of rams, Quinton Lake, the Safety and Harrison MeVis there Kicker. All of that available on the iHeartRadio app. And of course, the one thing you can do there that you cannot do at any other spot you get your podcast is stream the show live in the moment anywhere in the world. All you need is at iHeartRadio app, the AM five to seventy LA Sports tab and a connection and you are good to go.
Speaker 4: It is time brought to you by the Concordia University Masters in Coaching Program and administration. Because if you're a coach, you know your players might get poached. How do you deal with it? They teach you at the Kinggor University Masters Head Coaching Program. Yeah c uy dot etu slash coach fun effect. It's the yeah We're three fun fact.
Speaker 2: The Looney Tunes cartoons, which we are big fans of, originally produced to promote Warner Brothers vast music catalog, which is why it was also known as Mary Melodies and Looney Tunes was not spelled to ns but t u n e s.
Speaker 3: Hah ha ha.
Speaker 2: The first installments very light on plot. It was all the songs that they used.
Speaker 3: The Barbara Seville brother right, the.
Speaker 2: First ever released Looney Tunes cartoon nineteen thirties Sinking in the Bathtub, which took its name from the popular song you Guessed It Singing in the Bathtub from the nineteen twenty nine Warner Brothers film The Show of Shows.
Speaker 3: Hid for quick hits, some ms, quick hits.
Speaker 6: I'll make it.
Speaker 1: Quick, y'all.
Speaker 4: Despite the freezing death storm, the Lakers are in Dallas tomorrow night and they will play. They're twenty six and seventeen. After losing to the Clippers last night, Luca returns to Texas. Nico has left the building. Even with the weather, the game will still be played in Dallas.
Speaker 2: And that's just the uh, that's the backdrop in front of the main story. P Because everybody knows who cares what's going on in the games. We want to know what's going on in Lebron's mos, right, And that's where Shams Sharania comes in, saying, quote, the reality is we're watching the end of a relationship, and this is what's funny about ESPN, Like one of their staff writes a story that gets all this traction, and then fifteen people that work on the network claw and fight and scratch to get their piece of it, Like, oh, Baxter can't have all this shine. I got to get in on this. And here's my lane, and here's your and here's Sean.
Speaker 3: It's like Charlotte's Webb with all the baby spiders.
Speaker 2: That's right, sham Sharannia is one of the baby spiders. The reality is we're watching the end of a relationship between Lebron and the Lakers. The end is near, however you want to slice it. Last night, after the game, he talked to the media and he was just his typical douchey lebron self.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, I.
Speaker 5: Don't really care about the reports, to be honest, seems like you guys know me. You guys know since I've been hearing my eighth year here in late twenty three years. It's gonna be another article tomorrow, you know, especially involved in me. And at the end of the day, when I came to this organization, my whole mindset was about restoring you know, you know, excellence, you know, and you know the things that I've seen growing up, you know, with the Lakers. Obviously I didn't get an opportunity to watch the showtime, but I know the history, you know, and then the early two thousands with Shaq and Cobe and then what Cob did and you know those couple of runs with him and Pile. So you know, my whole mindset was like, how can I get you know, that feeling back to the Lakers organization where you know, when the Lakers and the Knicks and the Bulls and you know, the Celtics are good is great. So and I was able to do that along with you know, you know, fourteen sixteen other guys winning the championship, bringing the championship here. You know, That's always been my mindset. Quite frankly, I don't really care about articles. I really don't. I don't care about stories. I don't care about podcasts and all that type of don't They don't bother me. I'm forty one years old and I watched golf every day.
Speaker 6: Golf.
Speaker 5: I don't care about an article. I don't care how somebody feel about me. If you know me personally, and then you know what I'm about. These guys know what I'm about. And that's automatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, golf is a Thursday through Sunday thing. So I mean he is so addicted to golf that he's every day old golf s, you know, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday until he can get to the tournament that starts on Thursday.
Speaker 3: You care what the media thought?
Speaker 4: Why would he place proxies all over the.
Speaker 3: Media to say nice things about him?
Speaker 2: And why would he why would he share his resume? You know, three years from forty one forty one now brought a championship here, you did, but you know it's been eight years, like you said, and outside of that championship year, you've won two playoff series two so one good run. That takes you seven years of basketball with the Lakers and have those seven two playoff series wins. Not sure that's restoring greatness. There's an article written every day.
Speaker 3: Who gives it? I don't.
Speaker 4: You've brought chaos in disdain, both of you. The Clippers are twenty and twenty four, they're holding on to the ten seat in the West, and they're coming.
Speaker 3: That's coming.
Speaker 2: They are coming.
Speaker 4: They're one and a half games back of the Blazers for the ninth spot. The Clippers are off until Sunday when they host the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 2: And there was report that a team came for Zoobs p they offered a first round pick, and they offered a first round pick swap, and the Cliffs said, no chance. He's the only guy that Petros and Money show we'll talk to. We gotta keep Zoobs on the roster.
Speaker 3: We have his number and we don't abuse number.
Speaker 4: The Rams are in Seattle on Sunday to facing the Seahawks. The Rams are a two point dog, very exciting game there, and we'll have the AFC Championship game for you on Sunday from Denver hosting the Pats.
Speaker 3: The Pats are a five point road favorite.
Speaker 2: That's a noon kick and we will then have Clippers Brooklyn Nets basketball. But the big news p in the NFL is the coaching circuit, and the coaching interview circuit continues. And what an opportunity for the Buffalo Bills to overcome one of the most uncomfortable, upsetting press conferences with a general manager and team owner by bringing in one of the most likable individuals to have ever played football to heck with football to have ever played sports in the history of the world. Philip Rivers interviewed today for their head coaching vacancy. Rivers does not have any coaching experience. It is the Jeff Saturday resume outside of high school football. His four year stint at Saint Michael Catholic High School, a sleeping Giant that had seen zero success since phil had departed for NC State, but he restored their greatness made the semi finals in the state playoffs this past year. His son, Gunner, their quarterback, will be a senior this year, but said he would entertain offers after coming back to play for the Colts for a third of a season if anyone would be interested, and said he fully believes he could do the gig, so he interviewed with them today. Also interviewing with the Bills is the man who accepted reportedly the Chargers offensive coordinator gig.
Speaker 3: What about that?
Speaker 2: I would assume if Mike McDaniel has offered the job, he will probably take it. That would be my guest that he will take the head coaching gig to coach up Josh Allen and the Chargers will go back to trying to find an offensive coordinator but whether or not they can bring in a guy that coached in the division for the past four years to varied success against the Bills. Remember he just beat him late in the season this year, and remember he trolled the Bill bar in Miami after he did that hanging car the door of Mercedes. So yeah, good luck to Phillip. That'd be pretty freaking sweet to see him and Josh Allen together.
Speaker 4: And then he'll hire Eric Weddle, who told us right that he will go with Philip Rivers. I don't know if he wants to shuffle off to Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 4: The College Football Playoff is not going to expand in twenty twenty six and will again consist of twelve teams for at least one more season. The only changes are two slight tweaks. They guarantee all power for champions Access and Notre Dame of birth if it ranks in the top twelve. That makes sense. That guarantee for Notre Dame polarizing today as some people well they open their mouths and their brains fall out.
Speaker 3: Basis bunting Nordo Dame.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna tell you this, Well, you're starting to think about all these different things that the preferential treatment that Notre Dame has gotten, we'll get.
Speaker 3: And will continue to get. That's what I'm like. It comes down to a point where now you're starting to say, Cam, you bid.
Speaker 7: Her, SEC is dead.
Speaker 6: That's cool, oh man whatever. Nordre Dame hasn't been relevant in years.
Speaker 4: They were just in the National championship game one year ago.
Speaker 6: Relevant for years.
Speaker 4: You take that one that you take that one national championship with coach Freeman out of the equation.
Speaker 3: They have not been relevant.
Speaker 2: Really, Cam Newton, haven't been really. I just alerted you that they were just in the National championship last year. Let me reiterate, they have not been relevant in years. He must not watch college foot There's no chance he goes, no chance whatsoever he watches college football.
Speaker 4: And Matt also effective August first, get ready to visit Rwanda.
Speaker 2: Even more right, D one teams can now put two additional commercial logos on their uniforms on their apparel, an additional commercial logo on equipment during the preseason and regular season, and additional commercial logo on uniforms and apparel for conference championships. Uh The patches are limited to a maximum of four square inches per logo, which is pretty freaking big. By the way, it is essentially a Nascar I mean you're talking about three to four patches per jersey.
Speaker 3: Now gonna looks sweet.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's gonna be great. Visit Rwanda, bumble grinder, Folger, Sylvia's bail bonds. Oh yeah, Sylvia's.
Speaker 7: Look at those sc uniforms and those jersey mics logos on the.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be well, they're gonna be pink anyway because they don't play Notre Dame anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all right, But Notre Dame hasn't been relevant for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah. According to they.
Speaker 2: Haven't been relevant four years.
Speaker 3: Their coach is one of the most coveted in football.
Speaker 2: They okay, though nobody watches Notre Dame, though nobody cares, they never watch him. Those ratings are terrible.
Speaker 4: We asked Don McClain about this. Alabama coach Nate Oates said Friday he plans to play Charles Betico against Tennessee after the former Crimson Tide center was granted temporary restraining owner earlier this week to return to college basketball and play immediately. The guy played two seasons at Alabama in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. In twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three before leaving early.
Speaker 3: For the NBA draft.
Speaker 4: Win undrafted, never played in an NBA game, spent the last three seasons playing for three different G League teams.
Speaker 2: Three He's been gone for three years playing professional basketball.
Speaker 3: And he's back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kate.
Speaker 7: The best part about it is the judge who granted.
Speaker 2: The eligibility shady.
Speaker 7: He is listed as a six figure donor to Alabama and his wife is a lawyer representing Darius Miles, of former Alabama player, not the former Clipper, different Darius Miles, but a former Alabama basketball player a couple of years ago who is being tried for murder.
Speaker 3: The one that was involved on the murder.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's good, big Alabama fans and and natoats. What a fool. He took to the podium and said, look, the rules suck. The nc douale A is a disaster, but since I can do it, I'm gonna do it. That was his excuse, you're paraphrasing.
Speaker 4: His actual speech was, my name's Made Oates, and y'all can bite our scroats.
Speaker 2: That's your right. I didn't want to say that. I thought maybe some kids.
Speaker 3: That's what he said. Forget I know, but I was.
Speaker 4: We'll be back with money we got dead at a live guy Birthday of the Day at the end of the hour, and then David Vasse we'll have Dodger Talk with Chris Taylor and Joe Kelly.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: But that money Smith, This is Petro send money up on demand.
Speaker 2: True some money in five seventy LA sports. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Big victory last night by the Clips over the Lakers. They will play again on Sunday. You'll hear that contest against the Brooklyn Nets tip off at six pm. Prior to that, we will have Patriots Broncos AFC Championship footballs. We are also your home of Super Bowl sixty that'll kick off at noon. It's a little bit of a doubleheader with football followed by Clippers basketball this coming Sunday.
Speaker 3: All right, joining us right now? Our number one guy.
Speaker 4: That's true, just like Jack Palance told the Jack Nicholson character and the first Batman, Don mcclan is our number one guy. The BFF of the Petrosen Money Show, the leadue score and the history of the Pac twelve, a hero in Seami Valley and beyond, a UCLA legend and a superstar basketball and FS one Big Ten Network.
Speaker 3: C AA. What doesn't he do?
Speaker 4: It is Don McLean, fresh off his rejuvenating restorative trip to the Northwest on your Southern California Toyota neither celebrity Hotline on the Petrosen Money Show once again.
Speaker 3: Hello Don, how are you?
Speaker 6: That trip may have been rejuvenating. I don't know about restorative, wow, but yeah, and then you know, we got to see Elijah Arenas for the first time on Wednesday night at the Galen Center. So good to see him back playing. And we are FS one tomorrow Northwestern at UCLA, so looking forward to that one.
Speaker 4: We're always looking forward to everything that you do, Don, because you're the best. I know you're not surprised that Ucla beat Purdue, being a former UCLA guy, but mc cronin not happy with the schedule. McK cronin says, a Big Ten doesn't care about basketball, and that guy Dan finally had a pretty good game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And what's interesting is Brad Taylor, who runs men's basketball at the conference level for the Big Ten, has been around. I saw him in Washington last week and then he came down here. He was at the USC game Wednesday, so that game for New UCLA was Tuesday, and you know, he said, you know, I can't believe make and I'm like, Brad, you know what. You knew this was coming, Like when the four schools in the West decided to join the Big Ten. Everyone with the brain knew that someone was going to complain about the schedule. You can't be surprised about this. The only people who aren't complaining really are the football people because this move was made for football, so basketball in every other sport is not going to be happy with the schedule. I go to Oregon, they complained about the schedule. I go to Washington, they complained about it. So it's not unique to Mike. Mix is the only one that goes out, you know, in this press conference and says stuff publicly publicly. But everyone's complaining about it. And so there's really no answer to that other than you know, maybe try maybe try better, try harder to not make it five games and seven, five out of seven on the road and whatever UCLA schedule was. And it's funny because talking to other coaches and I would and we start talking about schedule. I'm like, yeah, you should see UCLA's and then they look up UCLA schedule and they're like, oh, yeah, that's bad. So it's not surprising to anybody. And Mick took some incoming for what he said because it was after a big win against Purdue. But you know what, like I said, you knew this was coming, so don't be surprised that people are complaining about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the four roadies out of five games. They you know, Iowa Wisconsin, come all the way back to play Maryland and then they got to go all the way back out to play Penn State and Ohio State. So don you've done this. I think some people would look at it and go, Okay. I mean that's really the only stretch that sucks over the course of your season. It's essentially two and a half weeks. Like, how big of a deal is that. Is it a huge deal to have that in the middle of your season in conference or trying to make the tournament or is it just a pretty crappy two and a half weeks you got to deal with.
Speaker 6: Well, again, Matt, I go back to what I just said, you knew this was coming, so it's yes. Would it be better if it was in February, No, it wouldn't. But it's right at the beginning of the restart of the conference schedule. So it kind of hits you right in the mouth again because you get through Christmas the holidays, you're restarting the conference and you're like, all right, let's get off to a good start, guys, and then all of a sudden you got four or five on the road, And I think that's the problem and why Mick was frustrated and is frustrated with it. But again, there's no solution to it. Okay, okay, Mick, Well let's put it in February. Will that make you feel better? Probably?
Speaker 4: Not.
Speaker 6: It's the way it is when you have four teams in the Pacific time zone playing in the Big Ten.
Speaker 4: The one and only Don McClain dropping the knowledge like he always does on the Pettersen moneyshell, and we're happy to have him.
Speaker 3: Don.
Speaker 4: Do you have a strong opinion regarding the guy that was in the G League and now he gets to play for Alabama? The Alabama alum judge gave him a temporary restraining order to play. I think you exhausted your eligibility, but you could hit some mid range for me right now.
Speaker 6: I have a strong opinion pe, but it really like, what what good is it going to do? I'm with Dan Hurley, I'm with Tom Izzo, I'm with all the CALIPERI, I'm with all the coaches that have spoke out this is I mean, if you haven't thought that the nil and portal era has become ridiculous, now you layer this on top of that. Now it's just stupid. I mean, it's it's triple stupid ridiculous to let a guy so again. And I think I mentioned this when we talked about it before. One of my jobs that I do for CAA in running the pre draft is making decisions on guys should they stay in the draft, where are they potentially going in the draft, or should they go back to school. Now that's changed because of NIL and how much money these high level players can get for going back to school, So that's changed the decision making a little bit. But it was always like, in my mind, a big decision because if you choose to stay in that's final, Like you can't go back to school. You're on your own if you don't get drafted, or even if you're a second rounder and you thought you were a first, like your road to making it in the NBA is really really difficult. Well, now who cares. I'm going to enter the draft, stay in the draft, because guess what, guys, if it doesn't work out in a year or two, I can go right back to college.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: All I have to do is find a judge that's dumb enough and as a homer enough for the school that I'm trying to get back into will rule in my favor. Like it's it's everyone says the wild Wild West. I'm searching for something better than that wild Wild West. Yeah it is the wild West, but something like the dumb ridiculous wild Wild West. You know it's it's it's ridiculous how bad it's gotten.
Speaker 4: So like that Will Smith movie, The Dumb Ridiculous Wild wowd West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stupid.
Speaker 2: Hey there you gone? You mentioned uh, tom Izzo, and it reminded me. I saw that this morning. I don't know if you saw it, but I'm wondering if you could share the meanest thing a coach ever said to you. And I don't know if you saw it, but he was picked as you were calling the game, so you may not have. But kurtang against Oregon, he only played eight minutes and Iszo aired him out. In the huddle that f S one was micing up, he said, you couldn't guard my mother, Dorothy, And then in his press he said, we're all flying back to to Lancey. I'm gonna drop him off in Appleton and he and my mom are going to go one on one check USA today, mar the box score. What's the meanest thing a coach ever said to you?
Speaker 6: Well, the word on the street is is Tho's mom's got a really good pull up game and it's hard to guard. So the meanest thing anyone's ever said to me, Well, one of the funny it wasn't said to me. But I don't know why this sticks out. I guess because we're talking E. C. L A and I thought about it. We're halftime of the Arizona game my freshman year. Trevor Wilson's a junior. It was a big game, like we were I think we were ranked but not high, but they were like number two in the country or something. And at halftime, Herrick's going on about what we're not doing right. I think we're only down, Like I forget what we were down, probably six or eight something like that. And he looks at Trevor and he goes, Wilson, you got one more rebound than a dead man, because he had one rebound at halftime.
Speaker 4: We don't have a dead guy in our starting five, one more than a dead man.
Speaker 3: Don The thing with the Lakers has gotten really ugly.
Speaker 6: I mean I heard you guys the other day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know when somebody starts saying you should have ever been born, you know, you feel like the families really hit rock bottom. This can't end well for anybody. And it looks like Lebron says he doesn't care. You know, he cares. He's super butt hurt. I mean, what is this going to affect their season? Or are they going to just lose in the first round like they normally do.
Speaker 6: I think probably the same losing the first round. I mean, they're just wildly inconsistent, especially on defense. You know, the one thing I took from it, I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not trying to be mean. And I read that article just like you guys did. And at the end of the day, in listening to Genie Buss on your show and on other things, she never struck me as somebody really smart. She just didn't. And again I'm not trying to be mean, just she doesn't. Lady seems very nice, but didn't strike me as like one of those people that that is that sharp, that's smart, that can get what you want, and she did. I mean, who can cash out and keep her position? Like who's ever done that before? Like sold a team, sold a business, sold whatever, and kept their job, but got all the money and put it in the bank. Like I don't. I never I would have never guessed that she was that sharp to get that done, but she did.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the you know? And look, that's that's we said this the other day. It's like, yeah, we're going to gravitate to that because we know the buses. You've heard her on the show a million times, she's been on with us, we know Jesse and Joey. But the national media seized upon the she hates lebron she doesn't like Clutch. She didn't you know, he didn't appreciate them drafting Bronnie. Is that is that a big deal to the tea or is it just a big deal to Lebron and his pals that run his empire.
Speaker 6: You know, that's a tough one. I mean, I don't know. I mean mission accomplished. I mean Lebron got Bronnie drafted. There, he's still in the organization, so he got it done. And whether that pits Genie off or not, I mean, I guess who cares because it happened and it's still happening. You know, Look, Lebron's at the end, and I think if he's still if we still thought he had five or seven more years left and to play, I think this conversation would be different. But the fact that he's almost at the end and it kind of feels like this is the end this season. They're for sure not a contender to win a championship. They're a good team, They're going to make the playoffs. We'll see what happens. But to me, it's really not that big of a deal in what this article and what this narrative or conversation, the effect it has on the season, to me really doesn't matter because they're not a championship can They're just not.
Speaker 3: But what about those clips?
Speaker 6: Don here they're not either.
Speaker 2: Oh three word answer, they're not either.
Speaker 3: Fine, don yeh fine.
Speaker 2: Uh real quick, don before you go the uh you mentioned it, you were you were in the building for Elijah last night. I know, you know, kind of overshadow a little bit by a lost in Northwestern but just kind of what little well, what was it like just kind of the I would assume a lot of emotion considering, you know, poor kid almost freaking died.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Chris Paul was at that game speaking of the Clippers, and that was an interesting conversation. Hadn't seen him since all that stuff went down, But that's for that's for another time. Yeah, look, this kid's gonna be really good. He it was he hadn't played a real game in a long time. They put him. He played thirty two minutes, which I couldn't believe. But basically it was just how he felt and he stayed out there struggled from the field. But you can just tell there's a there's a lot of talent there and eventually, whether it takes two games, five games, whatever it takes, he's going to have a major impact on USC season. I didn't really get the sense, you know, from the car wreck to the knee injury. It was about that. It was just more about him getting back on the court, getting acclimated, helping this USC team win. But it was great to see him out there because he was going to be I went to practice in October and Must told me that he was going to be the starting point guard and that when he got heard it really changed things for them. The good news is is Must has put it together. They're still an NTA tournament team as of right now without him, but now that he's back, you would assume that eventually they're going to be better with him in the lineup. So we'll see. But it was great to see him back and great to see, you know, all of Gilbert's friends. There's a lot of guys there to support Elijah and Gilbert and in the building on Wednesday night, so that was fun.
Speaker 4: Did they reassemble Muscleman after he exploded last night? Is there any if they put his body back together?
Speaker 6: I haven't heard. I don't have sc till a week from tomorrow, so I'll let you know next week. But I haven't heard whether he's reassembled or not.
Speaker 4: I wonder if those Russian card player guys showed up to one. Oh the great Don McClay, nobody's better. We love you, Don, Have a great night and have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, talk to you next week.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with your dead or a live guy. Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 1: This is Petro some money on demand.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening, and thank you for another great week and great sports talk. If you miss us over the weekend, of course, you could podcast the show on the iHeartRadio app. It's always there for you to podcast and listen to and relive at your leisure. Okay, Matt, you're dead, Gude. Birthday of the Day. I think we can get away with Soviet news runs.
Speaker 2: Let me take sweet fat the Soviets in the Russian.
Speaker 3: Soviet newspaper once again.
Speaker 6: The pleasure was all yours.
Speaker 3: The Soviet newspaper, not really Soviet news. This guy was born in France, but.
Speaker 2: Hey, Soviets, you'll see why.
Speaker 3: Two hundred and forty years old today.
Speaker 4: Aguste day Montferrand, a classical architect. Two hundred and forty is pretty old. There is some dispute as to whether his father actually held the title in France or not. His father died when he was a child, his godfa his grandfather excuse me, was a bridge engineer. A Goust himself served in Napoleon's army, first in Italy and then again where he served with distinction in Germany.
Speaker 3: Modern day Germany.
Speaker 4: After Napoleon got his ass beat, a Goost went into what he wanted to do, which was building stuff in France. After they were beaten. In post Napoleonic France, there was nothing to build. So a Goost was granted audience with the Tsar of Russia in eighteen fifteen, and that is where he built.
Speaker 3: His masterpieces, most of them in Russia.
Speaker 4: The Alexander Column matt the focal point of the Palace Square in Saint Petersburg, ironically a monument raised after the Russian victory over Napoleon's army, which Montferrand fought against.
Speaker 2: I would say that qualifies as irony, Yes it should.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool, definitely, that.
Speaker 4: Eighty five feet high with an angel holding the cross on top. The angels back up there, but during the Soviet reign they put Stalin. Stalin was up there.
Speaker 3: On top, knows.
Speaker 2: No Christianity.
Speaker 4: He also Saint Isa's Cathedral, which is another huge landmark in Saint Petersburg, dedicated to Saint Isak of Dalmatia modern day Serbia.
Speaker 6: Hell of a saint.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: And its wooden framework, considered very innovative in its time to marvel, makes you wonder why we don't build anything cool like that anymore. His last work was the Monument to Nicholas, which was a bronze sculpted horseman statue married twice, second time to an actress. When he died in Russia, the Russians were like, this guy's French, he's not orthodox.
Speaker 3: What are we gonna do.
Speaker 4: We can't bury him in Russian ground, so they sent his body back to France. But if you've ever been to Saint Petersburg and there's a lot of people that are uh, you've probably seen.
Speaker 2: Thanks for building all the super cool stuff for us, dude, But yeah, we're not gonna cathedral corpse in this town, dirty Catholic. I sent it back weird out here.
Speaker 4: We're done with you, architect, Get out of Saint Pete Montfern. Uh.
Speaker 3: If you've been to Saint Petersburg, you've probably seen what he built.
Speaker 2: All right, you're a live guy. Pe Charles n. Papasian a nuclear engineer, but for the sake of this conversation as our live guy. Birthday of the Day. One of the most important figures in the history of the craft beer movement. When you dig into his biography, it might be one of the greatest I've read. Born in Jersey, bro Armenian Papasian father was a chemical engineer, followed the engineering path, went to UVA Nuclear Engineering. While in Charlottesville, said he was sucking back some Schlitz when one of his roommates said, Hey, you know that guy that lives like that old dude that lives like three apartments away. He makes his own beer in his apartment. And Chuck was like, that's kind of cool. I'm gonna go talk to that guy. I intrigued by this, and the guy explained that, yeah, he used to brew his own beer during Prohibition. Schuck was fascinated. Teaches him the ropes and he was working as a janitor to help pay for college at a daycare center and overnight he would brew into their industrial sized kitchen, honed his craft, started bottling it, started passing it around to his pals, and everybody said, best beer I've ever had. You know, when you got like pbr, Hams, and Bud to choose from all of a sudd. This guy's making his own beer. He didn't want to sell it. Instead, he was so excited by the process that he encouraged his friends to learn how to make their own beer and their homes. So he wrote a two page set of instructions and just started passing them out to everyone on campus. He graduates, he moves to Boulder. He takes a job as an elementary school teacher, and he's fueling his passion of home brewing by setting up a class that he taught out of his own kitchen in home brewing. And one of his earliest students was Jeff Lebish, who had found New Belgium Brewing Company. When President Carter in nineteen seventy eight signed the law allowing small craft brewing and home brewing, making it legal, Papasian founded the Association of Brewers. The Association of Brewers merged down the road with the sixty three year old Brewers Association of America. Paposian was named president. This is a quote from him. Now, Look, I don't want to get to zen like, but what I've always loved about brewing is you're dealing with organisms, with biology, with chemistry, there's an exclamation point. With life itself another exclamation point. He founded the Institute for Brewing Studies Brewing Publications. He founded the Great American Beer Festival, the World Beer Cup that still is the largest beer contest in the world today, God did it all. He ran the world's largest homebrew competition and again passed that off forty seven thousand members. The third week of junis when he hosts the National Homebrew Competition. The Big Brew is the first of May, and mid Day is the first Saturday in August.
Speaker 3: I love Ve Day.
Speaker 2: He put together the Nincassie Award that is named in honor of Nincassie, the Sumerian Goddess of Beer. Publishes first book in eighty four, The Complete Joy of home Brewing. It has been reprinted twenty five times and has sold millions of copies. It is the first and only American book to offer in depth information and a guide on how to home brew. It is cited as the craft brewing Bible. Chuck Poposian.
Speaker 3: And We'll be back on Monday.
Speaker 4: I think it's another four hour show starting at three o'clock. Have a great weekend Dodger Talk with David Massey. He's got Chris Taylor. It's a night of EXAs Joe Kelly and Chris Taylor. Stay with us, enjoy your weekend.