Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Ron Say was the last starting third baseman for the National League back in nineteen seventy seven. That distinction now goes to Max Muncie, who'll be starting for the National League in Philadelphia next week. Max, congratulations on your third All Star Game, but especially being named by the fans to be the starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a special one, you know, just getting the recognition from from the fans out there, and you know, obviously I can't thank the fans enough. You know, this one really does mean the world to me. Just to be able to celebrate it with my family and my kids, who you know, they weren't there for my previous two, and then just to be able to get back to the form that you know, I felt like I should be playing at all these years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one's special.
Speaker 1: It's got to be gratifying with all the work that you put in during the offseason that the fans recognize the production that it translated into.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know it's just you know, you show up every single day trying to help the team win. You don't really care about yourself, but to get a little recognition from the fans for them to say, hey, you are playing really well.
Speaker 3: It's just a really cool thing. It's a really cool moment, and it definitely means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: I know You've had a lot of pinch me moments in your Dodger career, but is this one of them, not just being named a starter, but at the position that you'll be starting at third base?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think it definitely is.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know that I ever truly felt that third base would become a spot that I could be an All Star at. You know, you look around the league and there's just there's a lot of really good third basement out there, and you know, it's a position that I really didn't know and I didn't know how to play. But I showed up every single day, try to put in the work, and you know, I feel like I'm finally becoming the defensive player that I always felt I could be. And it's been it's been a lot of fun, and you know, just again to get that recognition, it really really does mean a lot. I can't put enough and too, you know, I can't say enough about how much.
Speaker 3: It means to me.
Speaker 1: Max A lot of times when players invest a lot on the defensive side, it takes away from offense. How have you been able to balance both to become an All Star?
Speaker 2: Well, the biggest thing was learning in my routines, especially on defense, just trying to get.
Speaker 3: The knowledge know what I need to do.
Speaker 2: And you know, after years of putting in hours upon hours every single day, I finally got to a point where I felt like I found the right routine for me.
Speaker 3: And then it's just honing that in on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: And you know, that's that's the routines that you're seeing me out here doing every single day along with you know, Freddie and Miggie and everyone has their own routine and it just takes time to figure out exactly which one's working for you.
Speaker 3: And and it just took me years to figure that out.
Speaker 1: A lot of young players they say that to be successful in the big leagues, you've got to find a routine.
Speaker 3: At this stage of your career.
Speaker 1: Is it interesting that you still have a routine and you still have to maintain and you know, be religious to it.
Speaker 2: I don't think you ever lose a routine, doesn't matter what part of your career. And for me, it's not It's not a shock at all, because, like I said, I've just every single year, I feel like I'm continuing to learn the position of third base. And you know, maybe it'd be different if it was a position that I'd played my entire life and I felt like I knew it already. But I'm still learning it and even now I'm still learning how to play it.
Speaker 3: And uh, there's little.
Speaker 2: Things I pick up on almost every single day about how I feel like I can be playing it better just from you know, watching my teammates, watching the other team, watching games on TV, and you're kind of just studying baseball, and you know, for me, I've always tried to study what the best third baseman do and try to implement implement that into my game and figure out how that works for me.
Speaker 1: Is there one guy that you kind of looked at, maybe on video during the off season, where maybe you took something from them.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's everybody. It's not just one guy, because everyone has their own unique style. You know. You look at you know, in Aeronauto where he's always fielding things on the run and throwing on the run, versus a Chapman always fielding things deep, and you know, everyone has their own unique style and you have to figure out which one's yours, and so for me, it was just trying to take little elements from all of those guys and figure out how it best works for me and then find my own style with it.
Speaker 1: Max Munsey is our guest. He's headed to his third All Star Game, first time starting at their Bays, first time starter for the Dodgers at the hot corner since nineteen seventy seven, You've had experiences at the All Star Game. What have been your past experiences and how much are you looking forward to being in that clubhouse with those guys again.
Speaker 2: It's always it's always just an insane moment because you're you're there with you know, the absolute best in the game, and you know you're shown up into the clubhouse and it's it is it's the All Star team. You know, you're looking at just players from from every team across the league, the best players, and it's it's kind of a surreal moment to know that you're just you're there with everyone else, and you know that's where the recognition part comes in, and it's just really cool to have that.
Speaker 1: Any temptation to enter the home run derby.
Speaker 3: No, no, not for me. I haven't been asked.
Speaker 2: But you know, for me, being healthy is the more important part. And but you know that's been the biggest key to my success this year, is just staying healthy and I want to keep it that way. And part of that is not doing anything stupid to risk that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of home runs, when you first came to the Dodgers, people try to put you in that bucket where you were a three true outcome player. And now it seems like everybody's starting to recognize how much work you've put in to not just be a three true outcome player. How proud are you that your game has evolved into being the well rounded hitter that you've become.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot.
Speaker 2: I feel like anytime you're a guy that walks a lot, you kind of get put into that category. And you know, part of that is just a result of if you're losing at bats because you're you're walking, but you're you're getting on base, and that's the goal is to get on base.
Speaker 3: So for me, it's never something that bothered me.
Speaker 2: But you know, you when you look at some guys, they're getting five at bats a game, if your guy that walks a bunch, you're only getting three bats or maybe even two of bats, depending And so sometimes the hits just don't come as much when you're when you're constantly getting locks. But that's always something that I've been proud of, is I'm on base for the guys behind me to drive me in and ultimately that helps us win the game. And that's the whole point of playing as you're trying to win the game.
Speaker 1: You told me a few years ago, you know, when maxim and see is going well, when I'm taking my walks, not necessarily the hits of the home runs. Is that still true?
Speaker 3: This year might be a little bit different.
Speaker 2: I haven't been getting as many walks this year, but you know, my my bath to ball success rate it's been a little bit better. And you know, I've just been you know, and I don't know if that has something to do with the abs zone or not. It seems like seems like teams have been attacking me a lot more in zone this year compared to years past.
Speaker 3: And you know, that could play in Twitter.
Speaker 2: It could just be that's just how this year's gone, you know, it is it is baseball there's no way to predict what's gonna happen, and you know, but for me, it's been giving me more opportunities to get hits and that's what I've been trying to take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Every year is unique. We all understand that you guys have a large lead in the NL West as we get closer to the All Star break. You've been part of Dodger teams where you had big leads in the second half of the season. What have you learned from that and the experience of winning back to back championships with this big of a lead, what do you guys have to continue to do to not let down?
Speaker 2: You know, I think this group is a little bit different just the amount of experience we have, you know, on the team, and in the past, we hadn't been as bought into just taking it day by day as we are now. And part of that is just understanding what the end goal is for us. And the only way you get there is you. You you show up every day and you you do what you have to do for that day. You can't worry about anything else that's going on. You can't worry about tomorrow or next week or the week after that you have you know, tonight we have Kyle Freeland the Rockies. How are we gonna win this game? And then when we show up tomorrow, we'll worry about tomorrow's pitcher. And that's that's just how we've been taking it every single day. And that's that's really what's helped us win two.
Speaker 3: World Series back to back.
Speaker 2: Is you know, even in the postseason, it doesn't matter if you won the night before, you got to show up the next day and you play that game.
Speaker 1: Will that be the challenge in the second half for you guys to stay in the moment.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously that's that's kind of always the challenge. But you know, I think for us, like I said, having the experience that's been that's been helping us a bunch.
Speaker 1: You don't have to worry about me, Muncie. I won't let down in the second half either.
Speaker 3: I don't think I was ever worried about you.
Speaker 1: I know, thank you, thanks a lot for the time. Great to see you be recognized for all the hard work you've put in. You are one of the best players in Major League Baseball and you're a three time World Series champion, one of the most clutch hitters in modern Dodger history. So congratulations, enjoy Philadelphia, and we'll see you in the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Appreciate David. I'm definitely gonna enjoy it. I know my kids are too,