Speaker 1: Welcome the home of the Dodgers to spring Dodger Talk, Hi Majestic shot on.
Speaker 2: Our stream on the iHeartRadio app the Golden Age of Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 3: We love you, Dodger Nation on air at AM five.
Speaker 1: To seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio on.
Speaker 2: Dodger We are back to back.
Speaker 1: Yes, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven head coach the show and now stepping in as your host for Dodger Talk, Tam Kase.
Speaker 4: Oh, We're off and running on this beautiful Friday nine Here in the city of Los Angeles, Southern California. You're a home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: As the road to a.
Speaker 4: Three peet officially started today at Camelback Ranch in Arizona, as pitcher and catchers have reported Monday the first full team workout at Camelback Ranch, but most of the players have already made their way over to the Grand Canyon state of Arizona, as they are anxious, as they are biting at the opportunity to get this season started here in twenty twenty six, and we got a jam packed hour coming up here on Dodger Talk Spring Training Edition.
Speaker 5: How good does that sound?
Speaker 4: No more offseason, no more getting ready for the start of spring training.
Speaker 5: Nope, we are here.
Speaker 4: We have officially begun twenty twenty six and the quests for a three peat. As the Dodgers have reported to Arizona eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We are eight days away from the Cactus Opener against the Angels. The Dodgers will have their first game of Camelback Branch on February twenty third. We got the World Baseball Classic coming up begin the first week of March, and for the first time in the last three years, the Dodgers aren't going over to Korea and not going over to Japan to start the season. Instead, they will get a full spring training in Arizona, the Freeway Series three games against the Angels, and then start the regular season that final week of March. I'm fired up for the start of baseball. Football season is over. The NBA says they have their All Star break this weekend. Could have fooled me I'm not paying attention. I got all Ey's on Arizona right now, and the start of spring training for the Dodgers as they are reloaded and ready to go. Coming up this hour, you're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts, who spoke to the media earlier today. You will hear from show Hey Otani in coming up. El So this hour your first time hearing from Alex Vesia, Dodger reliever who was not a part of the World Series run last year after tragedy hit him and his wife, losing their infant daughter just hours after birth. Our hearts are with him every single day. So you think of Alex Vessi and his wife and their family and what they continue to go through during the process and after it never really ends. And you hope that baseball with the start of spring training can be an outlet for Alex Vesia and his family as they start that long road really to try to recover and get their lives moving forward in whatever direction that is well. Here from Alex Vesia coming up at the end of this hour and soon certainly one of the guys. All Dodger fans are rallying around and have their hearts open for in his return here in twenty twenty six, and he looks great, he sounds great. And you'll hear from Alex Vesia coming up later on this hour. But we also want to hear from you, Dodger fans. Eight six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy are the trades, possibilities and the hot stove talk. It is over with, it is done. Baseball is here. We've got baseball activities for the first time in twenty twenty six. And if you're a Dodger fan, spring training means trips out to Arizona. It meant trips to to Dodgertown in Florida many years ago, but now it means convenient drives and flights over to Camelback Ranch and and seeing baseball in the spring training and seeing the Dodgers play in different spots over there. I know it's something that a lot of Dodger fans love doing. I love doing. I've taken my daughters over to spring training multiple times. We're gonna make a trek over there this spring training as well and see some games. I love the start of baseball season, but with the start of baseball means expectations and expectation are high. Already, the Dodgers projected to win over one hundred plus games in the regular season. The NL West looks like the Dodgers, Padres and then everybody else. As far as the Diamondbacks, the Giants would be better, but certainly the Colorado Rockies are looking at another one hundred loss season. So the Dodgers have lofty expectations, and certainly so with the roster they have. But for you Dodger fans, is you get ready to head over to Arizona as you get ready to listen to spring training games right here on FI seventy LA Sports beginning next Saturday against the Los Angeles Angels at twelve o'clock right here on ANFI seventy LA Sports. Which Dodger player are you most excited about seeing and hearing this spring?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Of course we're all excited about Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts and show hey Otani, But is there a Dodger player that you're really excited about seeing? Maybe expectations going to this season are bigger and better. Maybe it's a Dodger they acquired in the offseason and signed. Maybe it's a Dodger last year who didn't have a great season and is looking to bounce back in twenty twenty six. Maybe it's just that favorite Dodger player you love going out and seeing it. And certainly you can throw Mookie and show Ay and Freddie into that conversation as well. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I'm gonna give you a player and a pitcher right now with the start of spring training. I'm most excited about seeing and why Kyle Tucker. Dodgers signed him to a lucrative four year deal, making him the second highest paid player on average in baseball twenty nine years old. They didn't get locked into a long deal, So now he's here with opt outs and he's expected to produce and the time that we'll be here last year year banged up twenty twenty four, hurt with a shit injury. But when healthy, Kyle Tucker, a left handed, power hitting, great defensive outfielder who can steal bases for you, is going to add something to Dodgers. Well, quite frankly, they had, but it's just gonna make him even better. Last year, even Wall hurt with a calf injury, an ops near nine hundred, twenty two home runs, seventy three RBIs, twenty five stolen bases in one hundred and thirty six games. Now, you add him to a roster in a lineup like the Dodgers, and he should just blend in because this lineup is so deep top to bottom.
Speaker 5: We know what it looks like.
Speaker 4: It's ridiculous how great this lineup is gonna be. You're not asking him to carry a lineup and bat clean up and literally be the center of a lineup day in and day out, and carry a team and be asked to hit fifty home runs and drive on one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 5: That's not what he needs to do.
Speaker 4: Be healthy and just produce like he when he's healthy, he can hit thirty plus home runs, have a nine hundred plus ops, drive in one hundred runs, steal thirty bases. That's what I'm most looking forward to this bring is seeing Kyle Tucker and what he can do. How does he blend into this roster, What does he look like in right field? And what does he look like in this lineup? Because Dave Roberts on this station at Dodger FanFest has been asked about What does the lineup look like with Kyle Tucker? Where are you gonna bat him? How does show Hey Otani look at cleanup and everybody else behind him? What does that order look like? It may not be the same every single day, but where does Kyle Tucker fit into this lineup? Because certainly, again you're not asking him to carry this lineup on a day to day basis and be that Mike Trout where you need him to hit thirty plus home runs just to be competitive and to drive in or run every game because gosh, you got nobody else before or after him in the lineup. But I'm just anxious to see what Kyle Tucker looks like in the Dodger uniform. That's on the field, but.
Speaker 5: Off the field.
Speaker 4: Okay, we heard about Kyle Tucker, and you know, does he have that enthusiasm? Well, he said in his press conference, he does. I'm anxious to see how he blends into this clubhouse with a team of full of players who have won multiple championships and for the better part of this roster, guys who have now won back to back World Series championships. Where does he fall in to this clubhouse? Where does he mesh with guys in that clubhouse on a day to day basis, to tight clubhouse's comfortable clubhouse that Dave Roberts makes comfortable based on how he treats his players, interacts with him, and make sure it's a working and professional environment. Where does Kyle Tucker fit into that clubhouse on a day to day basis. That's something we're gonna find out and to hear in spring training. That's something I'm looking forward to this spring for the Dodgers. Now, Kyle Tucker signed a big deal, big expectations. He's expected to come in here and produce. That's a given. I'm excited to see what he looks like on and off the field fitting into with this Dodgers team, and I hope it goes smoothly. But also a player, I'm very anxious to see this spring. And don't don't drive off the road. Don't laugh. Okay, Tanner Scott, Okay, hear me out. Tanner Scott's going into year two of a four year deal. Tanner Scott last year in era close to five sixty one appearances. We know he's got the major league lead in ten blown saves. Last year, spent a month on the il with the elbow information and he came back, and I get it. He had the four walkoff hits that he gave up in the last month of the season, wasn't part of the postseason at all. On the roster through the DS and then taking off the roster after he had that lower body abscess procedure and missed the rest of October baseball for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: I'm flushing that out.
Speaker 4: I'm getting rid of twenty twenty five for Tanner Scott with the hopes that Tanner Scott in twenty twenty six is Tanner Scott of the previous years, the Tanner Scott of twenty twenty four and twenty twenty three with the Marlins and the Padres, where he had a two ERA, only two blown saves in two years, one hundred and forty six appearances, and was a lockdown arm late in games, saving them high leverage situations. Somewhere in there, tanner Scott's got it. I truly believe it. He just needs to find it again. And that's what I'm excited about the spring training is seeing Tanner Scott now. He is seeing all the right things. He talked to David Vass say just a couple. I think he had him on last night. Talked to me at at FanFest. I saw him talk to sports and at LA at fan Fest as well, talk to the general media as all the players did. He said all the right things, flushing twenty twenty five, out, ready for twenty twenty six, new year, knew me that's my words, not his, and ready to go. And his biggest takeaway was he doesn't have to be as perfect as he thought he had to be, and he doesn't have to be his pinpoint in the zone where he gets hit around, and when he was doing that, he got hit hard. He's got good stuff, just needs to trust his stuff and hopefully gets some swinging misses from guys on pitches in or outside of the zone. Get a little nibble there. That's the Tanner Scott. I hope we see and that's the Tanner Scott. I want to see this and I'm excited about hearing him and seeing him over at camble Back Ranch get ready for this season. Who are your Dodger players you're most excited about seeing this spring as we get ready for the regular season. Tanner Scott, Kyle Tucker for me, and those are just two guys that came to top of mind as I'm sitting here talking. How about Heisung Kim? How about Tommy Edmond coming off the ankle injury and the surgery. You know, is he gonna be ready for Opening Day? Will he be ready to goe go? The first month of the season? Andy pa Has, how does he get back to the Andy pa has that played really well during the regular season and at the Andy pae Has that got benched in the World Series and came in as a defensive replacement. Max Munsey's health. I think the overarching big thing for this spring, and I think we can all agree Dodger fans is health. You want everybody to get through the next six weeks of Arizona and the World Baseball Classic healthy. That's the biggest thing for this Dodgers team, not that they are just clinging to twenty five guys and if somebody gets hurt, look out, it's all gonna unravel because this team is depth. Got This team's depth is scary. This team's depth is unreal, and we're gonna get into that. And we've been talking about it, certainly with David here on Dodger Talk. But they could get through injuries if they need it to. Hopefully that's not the case. But keep in mind five Dodgers playing in the World Baseball Classic, Will Smith, Sho hey Otani, Yoshinova, Yamamoto, Edwin Diaz, Hei Sun Kim all representing their countries, all with the Dodgers now, but we'll leave and play for their respective countries beginning the first week of March.
Speaker 5: So we hope for the next six weeks through the w NBC, through.
Speaker 4: Cactus League play, and through the workouts leading up to the first spring training game next Saturday. Right here at ampire seventy LA Sports, this Dodger team can get through it healthy. But which Dodger players are you most excited for here in twenty twenty six, eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number? Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We're gonna hear from Alex Vessia coming up, We're gonna here from Shoeyotani, but let's hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. Today the first day pitchers and catchers reporting, and the first day we get to hear from the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 2: First day good.
Speaker 6: I think that just kind of obviously getting the pitchers catchers here, Uh, majority of the position players are here already. Guys are anxious, you know. I think for me, it's we got a long camp, longer than we've had in in the recent years. So to trying to get guys to start slow but intentional, methodical is kind of the message. But yeah, it'll be good to get guys on the field.
Speaker 2: We were talking yesterday about all the pictures in their different phases of ramp up and so on. Is that the number one job that's spring to figure out where everybody is and who's available?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 8: It is?
Speaker 6: I think a lot of the veteran guys sort of know where they're at, what it's going to take to get him ready. Younger guys, I think certain some of the guys that are coming off injury, guys that had a bigger workload last year, and just trying to bucket those guys together individually. But I think the main thing is just kind of ramp up methodically and really not try to tart have a certain target date and everyone's on a different program, but yeah, as long as they're kind of improving which I feel right now, we got a healthy group right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm amoto going to face hitters today. Are you at all nervous about his workload last year and then pitching in the WBC. I wouldn't say worried. I think that I know that.
Speaker 6: I just believe that he knows his limitations and he's prepared, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Speaker 9: Hey, now that you guys have gotten a little bit more of a feel for who shohe is as a picture and he's kind of like maybe a semi normal ramp up over and offseason, what.
Speaker 3: Kind of expectations do you think about, like what he can do as a picture.
Speaker 9: Do you feel like there's maybe more that's like untapped there for.
Speaker 2: Him but what he's shown previously in the big leagues?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: I think that certainly last year coming off surgery, But yeah, I think the regular offseason ramp up, I think there's certainly a lot more in there, And regardless of my expectations for him, his are gonna, you know, exceed those. You know, I think it's fair to say he expects to be in the cy Young conversation, but you know, we just want to be healthy and make starts, and all the numbers and statistics will taking themselves, but man, this guy is such a discipline worker and you know, expects the most from himself.
Speaker 8: So I think it that.
Speaker 2: Surprised him as a picture, just watching him sort of go through the regular routines and watching naturally in starts that maybe you didn't expect him.
Speaker 6: I think the thing that was most surprising from last year was his command. And I'll say that he still feels his command wasn't up to par, but given you know the Tommy John and what typically command looks like the year after, it was above that, So I think that was impressive. Just his ability to command a couple of different breaking balls that change the shape of his breaking balls was pretty impressive. And you know, everything he does is with a purpose. So I'm really excited to see with the full offseason to just prepare and not rehab, you know, what he.
Speaker 2: Can do this this year.
Speaker 7: It's still really early, but do you still expect to bat him lead off on days of he pitches as of now?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, as of now, yes, We'll we'll see how that progresses and I'll have conversations with him. So yeah, Well, we'll see, but I think right now as I stand here, yeah, when.
Speaker 10: You like I said yesterday, he looks fantastic, Like what are the things you've seen and just like in the first couple of days of camp that kind of look different or just let you know, he's in a good spot.
Speaker 6: I think he just looks he looks strong, but not too too there's not too much mass. Just watching him throw, watching him run, his body's moving well. I think he's in a sweet spot of just my eyes just watching him as just the way the muscle mass, it just seems like he's in a in a sweet spot.
Speaker 10: It's been like the first offseason he hasn't had any sort of like reheabs so for the winner, Like can you do you expect that to be murdered like coming into this year, Like how much of a difference that can make it just how he's feeling, how quickly he can kind of jump into the season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do, And I think that you know, when you're in rehab mode, it's a little bit of survival going into the season and as opposed to just going into a regular offseason preparing for the next season and not in the rehab mode.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, we'll see what it looks like. But I'm pretty encouraged on both sides of the baseball.
Speaker 8: How do you kind of handle the ramp on the player?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know when he's going to.
Speaker 6: Leave us to join Team Japan, but there's still going to be ample time for him to get his progression here with us to then. I'm sure Mark will be talking to the pitching coach over there and kind of, you know, stick to our planning, will be in lockstep, so I'm not too concerned about it and show he's very well aware of, you know, what he needs to do.
Speaker 4: All right, There's Dave Roberts speaking with the media today for the first time at Campbell Back Ranch in Arizona. Is Spring training is officially underway. We'll take a break, we'll come back. Your phone calls, David is He, Jesse, Bobby Robert, I see one line open eight Saint six nine eighty seven, two five seventy.
Speaker 5: Let's jump on board.
Speaker 4: Which Dodger player you most excited about seeing this spring?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 5: Camp is here?
Speaker 4: Players have reported. First full squad workout is Monday, but most of the team is there. Pitchers and catchers reported last night, worked out today. A lot of them through bullpen sessions today, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, even through the hitters on the backfields at Campa Back Ranch. We're often roaded running here as the road to a three peat has started officially right here on an FI seventy LA Sports Dodger Talk until the top.
Speaker 5: Of the hour.
Speaker 4: Spring Training edition of Dodger Talk. Tim Kates with you here on this Friday night. David Madday in transit to Arizona. He'll have daily reports right here on FI seventy LA Sports beginning on Monday, and cannot wait for the first Cactus League game for the Dodgers a week from tomorrow, Saturday, the twenty first, at noon, we'll have Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck beginning at eleven thirty in the morning, first pitch at twelve ten as Dodgers Baseball in twenty twenty six is finally here with the first spring training game in Arizona, as they'll take on the La Angels of Anaheim the first game at campbel Back Ranches on the twenty third, and we will have Dodgers Baseball for you right here on NFI seventy LA Sports. Coming up, you're gonna hear from Alex Vesia, who spoke to the media today for the first time since last fall. We'll also here from Shoho Tani coming up in just a couple of minutes. So I told you the two players I'm excited to see here this spring. Now, we're all excited to see the superstars. But Tanner Scott Kyle Tucker two guys I got my eyes and ears on this spring. I want to see how they produce. I want to see how they fit in. I want to see how Tanner Scott bounces back from twenty twenty five into what I hope is going to be a great twenty twenty six coming out of the Dodgers' bullpen. And keep in mind, Tanner Scott is a guy they gave a four year lucrative deal to because he had been really good and proven coming out of the back end of the bullpen, and they believe in him. They they're keeping him around. Certainly they got an investment in him. But let's not forget Anthony Bonda was DFAD and then traded to the Minnesota Twins as a left handed arm. They got Tanner Scott, Alex Vesia, Jack Dryer, Justin Robleski, four left handed arms right there to come out of the bullpen. And they felt they had such a good stockpile of left handed arms that Anthony Bonda was the odd man now out going here into this spring. So they are counting on Tanner Scott the Dodgers to have it bounce back twenty twenty six. Let's go out to Knoxville, Tennessee. Jesse first up here on this first spring training edition of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Jesse?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, my man, pim Cakes, you magnificent bastard. You've got me so fired up, man. I mean I was ready for it anyway, but you really got me rolling, man, And I'm gonna try to be quick. The first guy that I'm really looking forward to seeing is uh Man, I mean Andy pie Is because we've seen we've seen this guy. I mean, he can hit. And if I see him taking walks and maybe going the other way a little bit, I mean, get on Andy, you know, and run. I mean, you know what I'm saying, he can really be a catalyst. And and A mean I gotta throw in Rokie because I'm thinking this, this kid's gonna Uh, this kid's gonna have a breakout year.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: You know, other than that, you know a handful of guys that I'm I'm looking forward to. So I know they're not going to break with the club, but a lot of guys, mostly outfielders, I want to see in spring training. And uh, oh man, I'm gotta ask you one question, yeah, real quick, sure, Okay, when when Mickey hit the home run in Game seven, right, and just there's a shot of Dave Roberts reaction. His mouth flies open, something flies out of his mouth, he grabs his head. I mean, it's just, I mean, it wasn't I don't know if there's a lot of thieves or what, man, but you see if you've an effort figuring out what the hell that was that flew out of Dave's mouth, And I'll shut up and listen to you, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Jesse, great to hear from me. Thank you so much for the nice words. Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was a seed, Maybe it was a piece of gum. Most likely, I think Dave roberts reaction with Miguel Rojas's home run in the ninth inning was sort of the reaction we all felt together right, Jesse just to draw dropping my gosh, what did I just hear?
Speaker 5: What did I just see? What am I witnessing right now? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Game seven, ninth inning, game tie in home run mcgual Rojas. I kind of feel like that was all of our reaction on that night last November. That was for Game seven of the World Series eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy.
Speaker 5: He mentioned Andy Poiz.
Speaker 4: Certainly, Andy pot has I have to believe is got to feel really confident coming into this season for this reason. That's his job in center field. There's no ifs, answer butts about it. Andy Pojez is the Dodger center fielder. You know, Tommy Edmond was lurking around the Dodgers still didn't really have Pojz out there every day. Okay, he won the job last year. No, this is his job. He had twenty seven home runs last year, eighty six runs, bat it in. He had a really good regular season, should have been an All Star. But then October came and he could not hit at all. I think he had three or four hits the entire month of October. Lost his starting job in centerfield. Tommy had been took over, and he was a defensive replacement. I'm with Jesse, I want to see more out of Andy Paiez in the spring. How does he answer back? But I truly believe he's got to have it, at least mentally emotionally going to this season. That deep breadth of all Right, this is my job. I don't have to look over my shoulder anymore. I don't have to worry about getting called into Dave Roberts' office and going back to Oklahoma City.
Speaker 5: I'm a big leaguer now twenty five. This is my job.
Speaker 4: I'm the everyday center fielder for the Dodgers. Remember what they do this offseason. They went and got a right fielder. So now ta Oscar Hernandez can move over to left field, so Andy Poiez can stay in center field. Yes, So that being said as well, you have to go into this spring with a lot of confidence if you're Andy Pajes. So that's a good call by you.
Speaker 8: Jesse.
Speaker 4: Eight sixt six ninety seven, two five seventy. Let's go to David and Long Beach. David, welcome to Dodger Talk on this first spring training edition of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: How you doing good.
Speaker 8: Sim How are you good?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 8: Always good to hear from you. And I'm really really excited about this season. The one player that I'm really looking forward to see is Max Monci. I mean, he had an okay regular season and he did have one of the bigger hits in the World Series. Not the biggest one, but one of the big ones.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: And I'm still trying to figure out how in the world he caught that line drive, you know, I'm still I see that replay over and over and I'm surprised he didn't get his head taken up by that. But I'm really looking forward to seeing him improve. I think he's going to have a great season, and like I said, I'm really looking forward to the whole season. I think we're going to give everybody a run for their money, and I think we're going to be there at the end. I think we're going to do it again. Taking my call, all right.
Speaker 4: David, I appreciate good call on the Max Munsey. With Max Munsey, you've got to be feeling confident as well. The team just gave you an extension ten million dollars and guaranteed over the next two years with a team option for twenty twenty eight. You're thirty five, going to be turning thirty six er in the season, and the team invested in you for at least two more years. That right there shows me the vow confidence that the Dodgers have given Max Munsey and the belief they have in Max Munsey, Bob, and Malibu. Welcome to Dodger Talk on this Friday night.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Bob, I'm doing good.
Speaker 8: Tim Man, thanks for taking the call. I appreciate it. Man, the dude.
Speaker 11: The dude I'm excited to see and I agree with the last caller, Max Munky of course, top you know player. His words today about you know, not chasing money incredible, but the guy I'm really excited to see Tim based off his actions and what a dog he was justin Robleski Man, I'm looking forward to seeing more Robo this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's one of those ar I appreciate it. Bob, thanks for checking in. Man really appreciated him. Jack Dryer two guys I'd love to see a little bit more of this spring. I hope both of them make the Dodger roster. Coming out of the start of the season and spring training. We'll find out four left handed arms. It's a lot in the bullpen. You don't usually see four Tanner, Scott Alex Vesia, Jack Dryer, Justin Robleskis could Robless, it me the odd man out. Well, we'll see. But that's what spring training is going to be about. Who can get through here healthy, who's gonna be ready to go opening day? Again, Please keep this in mind. The twenty five guys, the twenty six guys opening day roster. That's great, We have a ceremony, they all line up, they get introduced. There's a big deal about that, don't get me wrong. But it's not necessarily how you start the season. It's how you finish the season. And the twenty six guys on the roster come October and the start of playoff baseball.
Speaker 5: So just keep this in mind.
Speaker 4: You know, the guys who start the season on the twenty six man roster, all of them may not be there, you know, because of any injuries or circumstances. And there's gonna be guys coming in. Like we saw last year. It took literally forty plus guys last year at certain parts of the season to help them win a World Series. One of those guys we always love watching is show. Hey o Tani who reported a camp. He's going to be in the second year now as a two way player pitching and as a designated hitter. He's going to pitch for Team Japan and the WBC, And earlier today talked to the media.
Speaker 2: So how longly did you get here to camp and how far along in your preparations are you?
Speaker 7: Campet? In my gym job.
Speaker 1: Killed it sign.
Speaker 7: Mike kill came into camp beginning of February. Uh, this is my third bullpen with pretty good intensity.
Speaker 2: And how excited are you for the WBC?
Speaker 4: I'm excited, I think I'm.
Speaker 7: As you know, Yeah, played really good games last tournament and I expect that to happen again, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: How different does the spring feel not having had a surgery or an injury to recover from this year?
Speaker 4: She's in.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Let's go my music.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: Know music.
Speaker 7: I was finally able to have a normal off season, and although the off season was pretty short, I thought it was a good thing actually to have a shorter off season.
Speaker 2: Why we saw we saw the m v P of Awards dinner in New York where you gave your speech in English? Are you about to put Will out of work?
Speaker 7: You know we did see all we should be not in this not r. I still need him because you know, there might be some bullies out there that might give me some weird questions that I'm sure he can handle.
Speaker 5: Winning a Young Award might be the only thing that you have it done?
Speaker 2: Is that a goal of yours?
Speaker 4: So smart so.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 7: If the end result is getting a cy Young, that's great. You know, getting a Young means like just being able to throw more innings and pitch throughout the whole season. So if that's the end result, that's a good sign for me. And that's what I'm more focused on, is just being healthy the whole year.
Speaker 4: All right, there's Will Ireton and cars show Hey speaking with the media today, and it was good to hear show Hey joking around with the media there. Remember during the offseason, just a few weeks ago, in fact, in New York, he accepted the MVP Award from the Baseball Writers of America at that ceremony and did his entire two and a half minute acceptance speech in English and was fantastic. So maybe we'll hear some more English from show Hey. O Tani this year we'll find out. Definitely don't want to see will Ireton out of a job. He does a great job and has done so for the Dodgers for a decade plus. So thanks to Show Hey Otani, and thanks to Sports Net La and our buddies over there Stu Mitchell and crew for getting us the audio today from Show Hey Otani and of course Dave Roberts coming up. You're gonna hear from Alex Vesia as well. It was an emotional day for the Dodger reliever. It's been a tough offseason and certainly a tough October after just the tragic death of his baby girl as his wife Kayla and he grieved their daughter and their loss. It was just traumatic and can't imagine what they were going through continue to go through as Dodger fans just kind of circle around them and keep them in their thoughts. As it's been a tough offseason, a tough few months for Alex Vesia. We'll hear from him when we come back. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number as well. If there's a Dodger player you're looking forward to seeing the most here this spring as we are underway. Man, that was a short offseason. When you play into the first couple of days in November, all of a sudden, Thanksgiving it hits you in the face. Then all of a sudden, the Holidays hit your right square in the face. New Year's come. You flipped the calendar to twenty twenty six, and a few weeks later, all of a sudden, Spring training again. Pitchers and catchers are reported. Bullpen sessions were thrown today. Yoshinoba, Yama, Mama, Moti, you have a moto through to hitters. First full squad workout Monday. Man got here quick, but couldn't be more excited. Spring Training edition at Dodger Talk continues, Tim kates with you until the top of the hour. You will hear from Alex Vesi at next Don't go anywhere at day five seventy LA Sports Spring Training Dodger Talk Here on five seventy LA Sports. Tim Kate's with you here on this Friday night. As David vaz Say makes his way to the desert. He'll be camped out there for the next six weeks as the Dodgers ramp up twenty twenty six in hopes of a three peats as they are back to back World Series champions. It never gets old to say that pitchers and catchers reported today. A lot of position players already there. One guy not there, Mookie Betts. He's at All Star weekend here in southern California for the NBA the Celebrity Game. He's one of the celebrity captains. Saw him out there just a little while ago for the Celebrity Game coaching up one of the teams. But he'll be making his way out there as well. As Monday is the first full squad workout. It's also the day Dave Roberts gathers everybody in the organization, front of office, training staff, everybody on the major league roster, non roster, vits, everybody gets together in the Dog Dodger Clubhouse there in Arizona, and he gives the state of the team address, which is always kind of fun to hear, and we'll see what kind of things he's got in store to say going into twenty twenty six. Always inspiring, is the manager, Dave Roberts. So that'll be coming up on Monday. Before the team's first full squad workout. Today, a lot of the Dodger pitchers, if not most of them, through bullpen sessions. Yamamoto the loan Dodger to throw to hitters on the back fields. I saw Will Smith getting into the batter's box and kind of doing some visuals, not swinging away, but doing some visuals with Yamamoto on the mound there in Arizona. So a lot of pitchers through today. Otani was up on the mound, Blake Snell and when Diaz, the new Dodger closer, Tyler glassnow Tanner, Scott Rookie Sasaki, he was up throwing Will Klein. I saw throwing a bullpen session, as was Alex Vessi, and certainly our hearts are still with Alex and his wife Kayla, after the death of their baby girl last October. He was pulled away from the Dodgers during the playoffs, missed out the World Series. Certainly he had priorities that he needed to be with and we all understand that as they still cope today and get through it on a day to day basis something you never get over. Certainly you have to cope with, and Dodger fans are are certainly feeling for them, and our thoughts are always with them on a day to day basis as they try to maneuver past us and through it and get back on the field. For Alex Vessi and maybe a spot for him to find some peace out on the field between the lines, up on the mound as a Dodger reliever, and he's been so good the last few years. Today was the first time he was not a Dodger fan fast Today the first time we got to hear from the left hander Alex Vesi.
Speaker 9: The outpouring of love and support Kane I've had over the past few months a few months has been unmatched. We're both grateful to not only Dodger Nation, but the fans worldwide. The lessons we've learned is that life can change in an instant. For us, ten minutes is all it took. Sterling Soul was the most beautiful.
Speaker 2: Girl in the world.
Speaker 9: We got to hold her, change her diaper, read to her, and love her. Our time together was far too short, okay, and I will keep those precious moments and memories to ourselves. I hope that anyone listening can empathize and respect our wishes for privacy as we continue to heal and as we navigate the ups and downs of a baseball season. Stepping away from the team, the brothers that I go to war with every day was difficult, but it was also an easy decision because my family needed me.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 9: We still watched every pitch of the World Series, and for us in so many ways, that was a light in our darkness. We got back to Arizona like the first or the second of November, and I immediately got back into the gym. I started my throwing program look forward to has helped me. Uh, the gym has been my mental clarity. Being around the guys again preparing for spring training, it's been really nice.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: I've gotten a lot of love so far in the in the clubhouse and being able to laugh and joke around. That's been been really nice for me. Okay, and I started therapy about six weeks ago. It hasn't been easy, but talking to someone it has made a difference. For those out there who've lost a child or are fighting through any struggle, If you can take anything from this, please seek help, talk to somebody. It's definitely helped K and I.
Speaker 2: And yeah, please.
Speaker 9: Don't be afraid to avoid to speak up your mental health matters. I've learned that what happened, what has happened to us, has also happened to so many families, and realizing that has deepened our empathy and our gratitude.
Speaker 2: For this community.
Speaker 9: The baseball community is strong. I was not prepared to not bring my baby girl home, but we're carrying her with us every day. Yeah, it's been it's been hard, but we're doing okay.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: There's Alex Vessi, a Dodger reliever, earlier today, his first time speaking in public about the tragic loss of their baby girl last fall. Him and his wife Kayla. Our thoughts are always with him, and they are getting through it as best they can and however they can. And certainly baseball is an outlet, you know. I think it's a good thing for Alex and hopefully his wife to be around people that love him and pour onto him and just are there with them on a daily basis through the grind of a baseball season. Not that it ever takes your mind completely away from what happened, you never forget, but certainly allows you someone to get back to normalcy as far as what you do as a profession and being around people that you're around with every single day, like I said, so hopefully this is therapeutic for the Vessi is being back at camel Back Ranch, and it's certainly a tough thing for him to do today and not easy for him to get up there and talk in front of a bunch of microphones and international national media and be a story that people are talking about today. But he addressed it. He talked about it. He wants his privacy, no doubt. And you know, when you see him out there on the backfield walking around, make sure you're cheering for him and supporting him. And certainly he'll be supported this season and moving forward in a Dodger uniform and it will be a big part of this twenty twenty sixth season as a left handed reliever and somebody the Dodgers are going to count on. And you saw what his value was come October in the World Series. Not having him out there, you know, guys dug down and guys were able to go extra had the bullpen. Tyler Glass Now's role has changed, and I mean that's that's because how much he Alex Vessia meant to this team and has meant to this team for the last couple of years, and there's a reason why he's a big part of the Dodger bullpen and high leverage reliever. Yeah, I mean, talk about all these opportunities the Dodgers have closing out games, seventh eighth inning, facing the heart of a lineup against the Padres, or a high leverage situation against the Phillies of the Mets. What's the guy we always talk about we want out there, Alex Vessia. Yeah, because he's a guy you can get out there.
Speaker 5: He's a dog.
Speaker 4: He's a guy who's gonna go out there and give it out his best and put out there and leave it out there on the mound, good and bad. And for a lot of the times it's been good for this Dodger team. So we continue to think of him and his wife Kayla, and great to hear him talk about it. I know it's therapeutic for him, certainly to talk about what happened. And now get back on that mound for the Dodgers. With spring training now officially here, it's gonna do it for Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio, thanks to all of you for being a part of the show. Is he well, squeeze on real quick, is he?
Speaker 5: How you doing tonight?
Speaker 11: And I'm looking forward to try and yeah, well you know that about.
Speaker 7: It is he.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the kind words. I'm sure Alex and his wife appreciate that. We'll be back on Monday night with Dodger Talk David Vasse live from Arizona. Enjoy your weekend, everybody, so long