Speaker 1: This is world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: We get ready running back, hosted by Dodgers and signer David Bassi.
Speaker 3: How are you three peat? In the mix?
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by LA County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA From colts to cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts and now your host, here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 3: Great to be with you on this Monday night, August the twenty fourth, as your Los Angeles Dodgers and join a day off as they head to Atlanta to begin a six game road trip tomorrow, first to three against the Brays. Hi, everybody, Tim Kates with you here for the next hour here on off Night Dodger Talk on your Home of the Dodgers, A five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Scorcher. Out there here in southern California, we have started a heat wave. We have started the heat of August, and just in time for all the kids that have gone back to school.
Speaker 4: As it was a.
Speaker 3: Nice cool, mid hot summer. It wasn't too bad really right through June and July. But here we are in late August, the kids have all gone back to school, colleges have restarted, and it's one hundred degrees in the San Fernando Valley. Is gonna be that way the rest of the week. But we got Dodgers baseball that is equally as hot. Dodgers winners of six in a row after a sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates over the weekend, and then now head to Atlanta for a big three game series against the Atlanta Braves, the team that is chasing them in the National League standings as far as the best record overall and the second place standings is concerned. And that's really at this point of the year I'm gonna start focusing on. I think the race as a whole is done. The Dodgers are gonna win the NL West, and I can say that with coms in that they are nine games up with thirty one to play. Now, can it happened? Certainly? We've seen teams blow leads before in the division, but it would have to take a disastrous run and a stretch of baseball that we have not seen in years from the Dodgers for that to happen. So I can say with a lot of confidence, I think we can all agree, right, Dodger fans, the Dodgers, with nine game lead in the division over the Padres, are gonna win the NL West at this point. The standings that to me mean the most are the overall National League standings. Best team in the league is the Milwaukee Brewers at eighty one and fifty infact, they're the best team in all of baseball. The Dodgers are one game back of the Milwaukee Brewers at eighty and fifty one, just one game back in the win and the lost column behind the Dodgers is the Atlanta Braves, who are four games back of the Dodgers at seventy six and fifty five. And nipping on their heels is the Chicago Cubs and right beyond them the Philadelphia Phillies. But those are teams that we're not necessarily worrying about right now. We're more focused on that separation between first and second and second and third in the National League standis because it is oh so important Dodger fans that the Dodgers get a buye in the wild Card round when it comes to October baseball. And certainly it's been up and down second half of this season. And a week ago we're talking and the sky is falling. The Dodgers lost three of four to the Milwaukee Brewers, and it's a Dodgers team that was struggling to do the simple things right defense, moving runners along, base running. Certainly, the pitching would have been up and down, the hitting had been sparsed times. The Dodgers just weren't playing very good baseball in all facets. And how things have dramatically changed for Dave Roberts and this Dodgers team, which had lost three or four to the Brewers, had a four and three homestand including the wins over the Kansas City Royals, and Dave Roberts said, this team was not playing up to par. This team was not playing the way he expected him to play. They go to Colorado, they sweep the Rockies in three games, and then they take care of the Pirates over the weekend in a three game sweep, and now the Dodgers have won six in a row.
Speaker 4: Really excited, I think, you know, from one side, it's good for us to feel like every single night we have a chance to win with the starter. On the other side, it's it's like I've used before, it's daunting as an offense, opposing offense to look at the PROBA bulls and you see Glass now Yamamoto, Snell Sasaki and then potentially show, Hey, it's like it gets daunting. And so from our standpoint, you know, you feel like you can keep you know, sustaining this run that we're on right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is the best way to describe what the Dodgers have moving forward, and that's why it's so important for them to get the wild card spot and not have to play in that round and get one of the top two spots in the National League. Is this is a daunting pitching staff and rotation that the Dodgers have now put together here in the second half of the season. And it's only you gonna get stronger with Tyler Glass now making the return tomorrow and further down the road show Hey Otani expected to get back into this starting rotation. This is absolutely a daunting rotation if you're an opposing team that you're gonna have to face, we talk about how deep this lineup has been over the years, and especially in the last three years one through nine. Where do you come up for water? Where do you get to take a deep breath if you're a pitcher on the opposing team. Where is there a break? Where's that out that you can see in this lineup? There's just hadn't been one. There was no holes really in this Dodgers' lineup. Well that's now the case with this Dodgers' pitching staff because they are going to finally be healthy here in short order, with Tyler Glass now returning and show Heyotani returning here down the road, this could be and there's no doubt the best rotation in baseball. And all the non Dodger fans are gonna say, yeah, of course, yeah, you stockpiled Blake's. Now you go out and get Trek Scoogle. Well, it hasn't necessarily panned out that way for this Dodgers team the last two plus seasons, and go back to twenty twenty four, as greyt as a rotation looked, everybody got hurt. There was nobody around to help you a start, and except for Yamamoto and Jack Flaherty in twenty twenty four. We were back in re We watched the three part docu series on Apple TV of the seven or the five game World Series back in twenty twenty four, and what a great series it is, by the way, my voice all over it. Yeah, the Dodgers relied so much on the bullpen because the starting pitching was banged up and hurt. Gavin Stone carried that rotation along with Yamamoto got hurt in twenty twenty four. It wasn't there for October last year. It flipped with the great starting pitching. The bullpen was up and down, but they made it work because guys like Yamamoto and Glass now came out of the bullpen and helped pitch in the World Series and the NLCS. You fast forward to this year, just when you think they have enough starting pitching, guys get hurt. Blake Snell's not ready, Tyler glassdow misses three months show, Heo Tani get shut down, hasn't pitched in the Cup couple of months, and the Dodgers are relying on Eric Lower and Justin Robleski to go along with a up and down rookie Susaki and a Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Yeah, so on paper, all the Dodger haters are going to say, well, this is what you get when you buy the team, this is what you get when you get the best players in baseball via trade as well. Well, you know what, they hadn't had everybody healthy up until now this point. Tyler Glass now is going to return tomorrow and it's going to make this rotation even deeper than it was been or has been the last few weeks. And even so, Terror schoobill to get his first win until over the weekend. Blake Snell three great starts, but he's only made four this season. Health has been an issue. But now that they are getting healthy, look out at this daunting starting rotation that the Dodgers have. And we just need this rotation to stay healthy and we need to see show Hey o Tani slowly ramp back up.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. Matt mney Smith was talking about this earlier on Petro Some Money Show. Yeah, he's gonna come back and get some starts. Fingers crossed. He throws a bullpen session in Atlanta here either tomorrow or Wednesday, and if he feels good after that, the next thing that Shoeyotani is gonna do is most likely pitch in a game, be a starter. But he's not gonna throw five or six innings. He's not gonna empty the tank and throw a hundred pitches. This is gonna be the same thing we saw last year with Shoeo Tani coming back from arm surgery. It's gonna be one inning first start, one inning when he returns, then it's gonna be one plus two maybe two plus, and then after that maybe he builds up the three innings and then we're looking at the middle of the middle of September. Then you get to the end of the month and the end of the regular season, maybe he's up to four or five innings. So it's not like he's gonna come back and he's rarely ready to go and all right, five innings, seventy five pitches, and then six innings the eighty five pitches. This is gonna be a slow ramp up. And that's why I think that when he wants to win the MVP and he wants to go up against PCA, I think he's also keeping back of his mind shoot that he's also got to look at October and what he plans are for October baseball right now and being able to pitch and hit and be that two way dominant player for the Dodgers when it really counts in the month of October. Because right now, the Chicago Cubs, yeah, PCA has carried them, and they are one of the wildcard teams right now, but they're hanging on to a wild card spot in the National League along with the Phillies. They've got the Padres and the Diamondbacks all playing good baseball right behind them, so they've got their own issues in Chicago. The Dodgers, again, this lineup, this rotation is getting healthy at the absolute perfect time. And again Tyler Glass now tomorrow will be coming back. He is going to have Eric Lauer to piggyback him. That is the plan in case something happens and maybe he can't get out of a first or a second, or it's only a two plus in and outing for a Tyler Glass. Note who knows it's his first time pitching back in the big leagues in three months. You can make all the minor league rehab starts you want, but you get back to the big leagues and let's say you have a slip up and you can't get guys out. You don't have the control. It's just not there. In your first game back, they have Eric Lauer ready to go as he shifts to the bullpen in a long relief and a role now, and he'll be available to piggyback not only not only Tyler Glass now, but it looks like he and when Justin Robuski comes back, will be the two guys piggybacking show Heo Tani as well. Because again, when Shoeyotani returns, if it's in a week or ten days, whenever it may be, when he does return to the Dodgers starting rotation, it's gonna be one inning, two innings, two plus innings, three innings. It's gonna be a slow ramp up. So you need somebody to be that bulk inning guy. Almost like show Hay is an opener in what is a bullpen game, except this is one to be a bullpen game. This would just be a rehab one inning assignment so to speak, for shoe Heo Tani when he comes back. So that's what we're looking at with show Hay coming back, with Tyler Glass now coming back tomorrow and what is gonna be a fantastic three game series against the Atlanta brace And for thinking about how big this series is, well, the Dog right now are four games up on the Atlanta Braves for the second best record in the National League. That's important. Top two teams get a wild card by that round. If the Dodgers sweep the Atlanta Braves, that lead goes from four games up over Atlanta for the number two spot to seven games up over the Atlanta Braves. Let's say the Dodgers split, or the Dodgers come out of their five games up. That's still impressive. Worst case, the Dodgers get swept in Atlanta with glass now Susaki Yamamoto pitching, I find that hard to believe. But let's say they still get swept over the next three days by the Atlanta Braves. Is at the end of the world. No, because a four game lead will be down to a one game lead for the second best record in baseball with when what twenty eight games to go in the regular season. So it could be a big weekend for the Dog or big three game series for the Dodgers expanding their lead over the Atlanta Braves. Or they can find themselves in a little tighter crunch with Atlanta for the number two spot in the National League. Again, that to me is what is most important for the Dodgers the standings is looking at the top two spots in the National League from here on out to the end of the regular season. That last weekend in September eight six, sixth nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. How about Will Smith gonna start a rehabit signment with Oklahoma City tomorrow. That's big. We haven't seen Will Smith since June fifth. We haven't seen Will Smith in a long time. And to have him going out on a minor league rehabit signment here on what will be tomorrow, August twenty fifth, potentially we're looking at a week to ten days for him to be in the minor leagues rehabbing and getting at bats and catching and going through all that he needs to do to get back to being Will Smith behind the plate catching every day. That's most likely what you're looking at is that kind of time from I don't think it needs three to four weeks for him to ramp back up, certainly, I know he's missed some time, and catching is a grueling position. But to me, seven to ten days down the minor leagues, he should be good to go after that, if everything checks out and he's healthy and his neck feels better and he's back to being Will Smith Man. What another cholt for this Dodgers team. Not that Hunter Forradusha and Ben Roadveatt haven't done a really good job. Because Roordy is one of the best defensive catchers. And I call him Rody because he's one of my favorite catchers. I just love everything about him. His style is command behind the plate, calling games and at this toughness. And then Hunter Fradusha, Hunter Forraducia delivering yesterday with a big RBI single proved to be big for the Dodgers and the win over the Pirates. So these guys have done everything they can possibly do to help out this Dodgers team with the absence of a Dulton rushing and Will smith both hurt and both on the injure list. Hunter Fradusha RBI single yesterday, I mean any offensive production you get from Fraducia and from Ben Roartfatt, it's like the cherry on top right, It's like just anything extra is all right. We'll take it. We're not expecting it, but we'll take it. Because what you brought those two guys in to do is be leaders behind the plate. Familiar with Mark Pryor, familiar with Connor McGinnis the assistant pitching coach, Familiar with Dave Roberts, this coaching staff, philosophies, game planning, terminology, everything that goes into it, and even for that matter, getting used to these pitchers again, having either caught some of these guys either starters or leievers, or been around them enough that it's right back into routine, catching them, calling pitches, knowing what they throw. Being on the same page with the Dodger pitchers, it was huge to be able to go out and get these two catchers again, not big all star catchers, not guys who are gonna tear the cover off the ball and hit thirty home runs, but for what you needed them for. They absolutely fill the void, both of these guys together and have been fantastic for Dave Roberts at the catching spot. And again, hopefully Will Smith is back in seven to ten days. That's the timeline I'm putting on it. That's not the timeline the Dodgers are putting on it, or Will Smith is put on it. I'm just hoping that within the next week to ten days, if he starts tomorrow in a minor league rehab assignment, we can see him out there and back behind the plate for the Dodgers in the final month of the season. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seven. He got plenty of time for your phone calls between now and the top of the hour. We're gonna hear from John Hartong from Sports in ATLA coming up in just a little bit. It was just announced ago about maybe two hours ago from sports NETLA and our friends at the Dodgers that tomorrow on TV. Of course, you can hear every Dodger game right here on a five seventy LA Sports in the iHeartRadio app tomorrow will be Steven Nelson rip Monday doing a great job calling the games first pitch of four fifteen tomorrow on the TV side of it. If you sync him up, you'll be able to hear Joe Davis along with Clayton Kershaw. Yes, Joe Davis and Clayton Kershaw will be sliding into the analysts chair along with Joe calling nine innings of base ball tomorrow, so that'll be fun to hear him. Oral Herscheiz will rejoin the crew on Wednesday and Thursday in the final two games of the three game series in Atlanta, but will be kind of fun to hear for the first time ever. Clayton Kershaw is an analyst. I know he's done some stuff sitting dug outside for NBC and pre and postgame stuff for NBC on the Sunday Night Baseball, but for sitting into the analyst chair for nine innings and hear him break down what's happening during the game and at a during at bats and what's the thinking of Dodger pitchers and hitters. It's gonna be a lot of fun hearing Clayton Kershaw call a game tomorrow on TV. So that'll be the first time he gets to do it, and who knows, maybe that's something Clayton Kershaw wants to do more moving forward as he gets ready for Cooperstown to call him his name. In a couple of years, we'll take a break, we'll come back, We'll get to your phone calls. But up next from Sports net LA, the Emmy Award winning host at anchor. He's a guy who's been there since twenty fourteen, the day they flipped the switch to launch sports in NETLA and access sports Net. Dodger pre post off season. I get the honor of sitting over there with him during December and January and February and spring training, during all the off season Dodger covers. The great John Hartongue will join us when we come back. Not just a talking head, not just a good looking guy on Sports in LA. He's a valley guy. He's a Dodger fan, He's an Angelino. And we'll talk to John hartong next right here. Off Night Dodger Talk continues on n FI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. Off Night Dodger Talk continues here on AM five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dodgers heading to Atlanta. They start a six game East Coast road trip tomorrow at Trewis Park in Atlanta against the Braves. First pitch at four to fifteen Marago Casino. Dodgers on deck will get our coverage started at three o'clock. Tyler Glass now on the mount against Bryce Elder and joining us right now. One of the good guys, no, one of the great guys over at Sports a LA. You see his face every single night during the season, out of season Emmy Award winning host anchor sports net LA has been there since the launch of the Dodger station in twenty fourteen. It's been a fixed year here in Southern California's entire life. In fact, greatest moment I ever saw of John Hartzung hitting the home run in the media game Dodger Stadium many years ago. He legitimately hit it out of the ballpark at the Ravine. The only guy I've ever seen do it outside of a professional baseball player, the one and only John Hartzong.
Speaker 1: How you doing, John, Jim.
Speaker 5: That's a fabulous introduction, Thank you very much. And setting the mood as well with the music kount of thinking that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Heading to the South here against the Atlanta Braves Dodgers eighty wins. John, You've seen this team all season long. They've had their ups, they've had their downs, They've gotten through the injuries. They're still going through the injuries right now with Poe has but getting Glass now back, and man, you look at the road over the weekend with Yamamoto, with schoobl and Snell. This is how they drew it up, right. I mean, it doesn't get any better than what we saw over the weekend.
Speaker 5: Pitching wise, Yeah, I think it's scary for any other team watching these guys that they just keep putting out to the mound to start games. And now we get Tyler Glass now back tomorrow Showhy's going to be back possibly and I don't know this for certain, but possibly as soon as this weekend in Detroit. Otherwise when the Dodgers get back home next week, and so you're going to add him into the mix. And you've got Roki as well. I mean, what a scary group of starting pitchers the Dodgers have. On any given night. Any of these guys can shut down the best teams in baseball. And it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch over the final month of the regular season and to see how Dave Roberts uses all of these guys this wealth of starting pitching when they get to October again.
Speaker 3: John, you got a front row seed watching these games every single night, whether in studio or out there in the right field pavilion. What is about this team that's different you, I think in the last two years. Is there any difference from the twenty four and twenty five team that jumps out at you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a lot of your core guys are still the same. And actually one of the differences for me is you have certain guys that quite haven't performed up to you know, the numbers on the back of their baseball cards, and yet you look at where they're at in the standings right now, just a game behind the Milwaukee Brewers for the best record in all of baseball, and I think that speaks to, you know, some of the pitching that they've they've brought in this year and other guys just stepping up, and Andy Paie is taking another step in his career. But I think for the most part, for me, there's a lot of similarities. And I've seen this team come back against teams late in games, and they look like they still have another really good run in them. And I can't wait to see what these guys do. Because since day one of spring training, they've pointed toward the month of October and they've embraced the target on their backs is trying to three paint, and they didn't shy away from it. I know that any team and every team is going to go through rolls throughout the course of the season. The Dodgers are no different. But I think they're a really good place, and you look at their schedule going into September to be in a nice little run as they begin the month of October.
Speaker 3: You mentioned it. They have the core group, certainly, but I think what's been great about this last couple of years and the opportunity maybe to three pete is you've got those core guys that have been around certainly, but then you bring in guys that haven't won, whether it was a Blake Snell or Tyler Glass now or now you've got a Trek School bll and Kyle Tucker, guys who want to taste that and they've seen what the Dodgers are able to do. And I think that's something that Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes and even Dave Roberts have done a really good job, John, is to bring in guys that are still hungry and can keep that hunger going For the guys who have done this two, three, four times already.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And that's a great point that you made, because Andrew Freeman has talked about that specific thing, and so is Dave Roberts. How it is important to incorporate some guys that have that hunger. We saw that last year with Blake Snell. And you know Blake being on the opening day roster last year and watching everybody else get their World Series rings and how that just drove him and motivated him to I want to be one of those guys next year getting one of these rings. And Derek Scooble, he's been in the postseason before, he's pitched in the biggest of games outside of the World Series, but he wants to get his hands on one as well. And you have other guys that just have a hunger in them that just want to win every single year, and you combine that hunger with the new blood as well. Yeah, and I think it's a great mixture of guys going into October.
Speaker 3: Again, John, when you think back to twenty fourteen in sports and at LA launches and the Dodgers had their own TV channel, you know, three hundred and sixty five days a year, it was still a Dodger period in which head they're winning the divisions or getting to the playoffs, and it really started this run that we've seen now that they've just rattled off, you know, going to World Series and playing in World Series and winning them. But that was kind of the infancy of when things really started with Andrew Freeman. What do you remember about those twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, those twenty sixteen years, those first couple of years of sports in La John and watching this team and what Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts eventually started doing.
Speaker 5: We were just excited they were going to the postseason those first couple of years. To be honest with you, because as you know, I mean, if you've been a Dodger fan as long as I have, going back to the seventies, yablo make the playoffs year there, maybe make a run toward the World Series. But we haven't seen anything remotely like this in the history of this organization, where they've been in the playoffs every single year. This is now year thirteen of the network and we just never could have seen this coming if you would have told me we'd been here and year thirteen and the Dodgers have been in the postseason every year. They've won three World Series in the span of six years and been two other times as well. We probably wouldn't have believed you, but that groundwork was laid, you know, those early seasons of our network, even going back to the net Colletti teams and the guys that he drafted and brought in, whether it was Clayton Kershaw and Cory Seeger and Cody Bellinger, Jack Peterson bringing Justin Turner in. So the foundation was laid early on. We just didn't see this level of success coming. But Andrew Freeman, his group and this ownership group that had done just an unbelievable job of keeping the Dodgers not just relevant, but keeping the Dodgers at the top of the sport for so many years.
Speaker 3: Now, John, what is it like for you being a Southern California kid growing up, as you said, a Dodger fan, and to be the anchor, to be the face of the Dodger channel on sports and at LA What is this meant for you?
Speaker 5: I still have pinch me moments to this day. In fact, what happened just last week when Laurel Hersheiser invited me to be part of his Hollywood Walk of Fame star unveiling and thinking back to when I was a kid watching him pitch, and you know, even having a chance to do some pre and post game shows with Steve Garvey many years ago as well. These are guys that I grew up in, real baseball heroes of mine, you know, growing up in Wild Hills in the San Fernando Valley. And now to be able to work alongside these guys and to call them friends and you know, hang out with them outside of baseball, outside of works, it's truly incredible. I mean to be honest with you, Tim, and to be able to cover my favorite team growing up as a kid in the manner that I do, it's truly a dream job. It's been incredible.
Speaker 3: I think it's awesome that the opportunities I have to come in during the offseason and sit with you guys at sports and at LA, to just sit then talk baseball with yourself and guys who played the game at the highest level and were Dodgers is unbelievable. What is that like, John take the listeners and Dodger fans kind of behind the scenes, What is that like, you know, on a nightly basis, to recap a game, to preview a game, to pick the brains of a Nomar Garcia par and Adrian Gonzalez A Jerry Harriston Junior and James Loni. What is it like, Dontrelle willis to just talk shop with these guys.
Speaker 5: It's you know, you played baseball yourself. I know you played it at a high level when you're in high school and maybe a little bit past that. And I played baseball as well. We also grew up fans, and I felt like I knew the game pretty darn well. And even some of the guys will say, wow, you really do know baseball. But I realized I didn't know a thing until I started talking about hitting or talked about pitching with oral and talking about certain strategy, and it just it's a completely different level that I can't truly explain to friends of mine. And some of the conversations that I've had, I mean, I've had a moment where Nomar and Chase Sutley were in the office and I'm sitting across from the guys. We're just talking about life in baseball, and then they get into this maybe twenty thirty minute passionate discussion about hitting, and I was speechless. I'm just listening to this, to these two guys talk about hitting the way that I've never heard anyone discuss hitting before ever, And I'm looking at these two guys thinking, Okay, now I realize why both of them were as great as they were. And even I've had conversations with Adrian Gonzalez too where I had the same reaction as I'm thinking to myself or talking pitching with Oral Herscheizer. So it's sometimes I'll find myself while we're on the postgame show and they're breaking down a pitching performance. They're breaking down and at bat, and I'm listening to what they were probably thinking if they were the hit or in the batter's box, then maybe try to put themselves in the shoes of whoever was at the plate in that moment as they're breaking down that bat, and I'm thinking to myself, Wow, I can't believe that these guys are sharing these thoughts and taking us behind the scenes and taking us inside the minds of these guys, because it's truly brilliant to hear and listen to the way that they think about the game and talk about.
Speaker 3: The game that is John Hartong from Sports and at LA Gimmy Award winning host anchor. You see him every night before and after all the Dodger games. All right, John, you watch this team, you know, night after night. What's the one thing that makes you believe that they can actually get a three peet when it's all said and done.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm going to start with the pitching because, and you mentioned the starting pitching. We've never seen a starting staff assembled like what the Dodgers have going into the month of September. Now, everyone has to be healthy, of course, but the bullpen has been a concern like it was last year. But you have even more starting pitching depth this year that you could use at the back end of that bullpen to help finish off games. And at the same time, I'm convinced and I'm confidence that you have certain guys that haven't performed up to their normal levels through the course of this season. But I think when the lights get the brightest down the stretch in September and into October, I think that they will perform up to those levels. So I have the utmost confidence in this team going into October that they can three peats. Obviously, It's a bit of a crapshoot. When you get to the postseason. You have a short series, but you get Will Smith back in this lineup, and you get Andy Paz back for October. And I don't see any reason these guys can't win another one.
Speaker 3: All Right, you guys do something fun on the pregame show right before first pitch, call your shot, which Dodger is going to hit a home run or have that big hit in that game that night. We're gonna do a little caller shot right here as far as the Dodgers are concerned with, John Hartzog, all right, which team do you believe presents the biggest threat to the Dodgers in this postseas? Either National League team or American League team? But when it comes October? Is there a team that just really opens your eyes? John, Like, Oh, this could be the team that knocks him off.
Speaker 5: The obvious pick would be the Milwaukee Brewers. The other team, though that would scare me because of the left handers they have, would be the Philadelphia Phillies. Yeah, and we remember that series last year. How close that series was? You know, Tail hitting the three run home run in Game one, which kind of flipped the series around, and then we know what happened in Game four when O'Ryan Kirkering threw that ball away. There were so many moments in that series alone that could have gone either away. Obviously there were a lot of those moments as well throughout the World Series too, but that series against the Phillies was very scary, and the pitchers that they have and having a healthy Zach Wheeler back as well, and they added a rise. For some reason, that Philly team scares me, I think a little bit more than most of the other teams.
Speaker 3: All Right, call your shot for October. Usually one guy rises to the occasion more so in the postseason than they're in the regular season. Keith A Hernandez is a prime example of that, Mister October with the Dodgers, who would you put your money on to be the Dodgers postseason MVP. Who's that one guy that really you think is going to shine this October?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I mean, because they have so many guys that have already done it. If I'm going to pick someone who hasn't had that moment or done it yet, I'm going to say, if Andy pay has comes back and he's healthy from the hand that he's going to have a little bit of redemption on his mind for how his postseason went last year up until, of course, the catch of all catches saving the World Series in the bottom of the ninth inning. But you know, he listened to it and heard about it during the off season and spring training, and how he was benched the final two games of the World Series because he didn't hit at all. He was really struggling all throughout the month of October with the bat. I think Andy Paie has gonna have some big moments with the bat for the Dodgers in October.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, I hope.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great call for Andy pye is. Hopefully he can come back healthier and better than ever after that fracture at hand. Final one call your shot. John Hartongue here on Dodger to Talk. Can show hey Otani beat PCA for the MVP Award for the regular season the National League.
Speaker 5: Of course he can't, but he is a huge underdog right now. He would have to come back to the mounds very soon, and not just you know, pitch, He would have to dominate, I think on the mound for maybe five starts be great, but also he has to start in power again because what PCA has done the last three months of this season are unbelievable. I mean, you look at what he did his first couple months of the season. He was awful. He was betting eighth and ninth in the line if he was striking out a lot. And I don't know what changed with him, But the last three months he's been out of his mind and he's consistently kept going and he's probably he's probably going to have a forty to forty season and what he does defensively in center field. And I'm not a big fan of the war stat. I hate it, to be honest with you, but they're already talking about he could have one of the highest war numbers in the history of the game, and a lot of the MVP voters love that war stat for whatever reason. And I think PCA is the very likely winner of the MVP this year. But he could always tail off in September and show he could start doing show hey things and be dominant on the mound and for more power and could take it away from him. But right now I see PCA winning the MVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna take a lot for show heye to overtake him Tomorrow, Dodgers in the Atlanta Brays, first to three from Truis Park, first pitch of four fifteen. You, of course can hear the game right here on AFI seven e LA Sports and watch it on Sports and at LA. And how about a special color analyst tomorrow in the booth for Sports in at LA, Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we heard about this. We had to keep it quiet. We heard about it a little while ago. And I'm excited, and I know Clayton's excited, Joe Davis is excited. As a network, We're obviously very excited to have Clayton on the game and on the call for the game. And I think he wants just to see if he can be the next John Smoltz in the booth, if he can be and Adam Wainwright or someone like that, to see if he enjoys it. Yeah, because I think he's going to be very good, and this is going to come down to whether he wants to do something like that on a more regular basis. And everybody's waiting to see how Curse, How Curse does I'd like I said, he's going to be great in breaking down the game. It's just gonna be a matter of love and want to do it more regularly.
Speaker 3: No doubt. It's gonna be a great listen to tomorrow and watch on sports and at LA. John, really appreciate you jumping on Dodger Talk tonight talking some Dodgers baseball as we are now in the final stretch with five plus weeks to go here in the regular season before the postseason begins. So I really appreciate you, John, have a great night.
Speaker 5: Great up with you, Tim.
Speaker 3: Thanks all right, there, he goes John Hartsong from Sports in Net LA. We'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls at eighty six six ninet eighty seven two, five seventy off night. Dodger Talk continues as a Dodgers in Atlanta tomorrow, Marongo, because you know Dodgers on Decad three, first pitch of four fifteen right here on a five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app five to seventy LA Sports thanks to John Hartsong from Sports net LA. Great guy. You see him every night pre and posts on Access sports Net Dodgers. You see him during the offseason as well. Great guy, big Dodger fan, live his dream and certainly great to catch up with John here on Dodger Talk. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number before we get back out to the phones. Earlier today, down in San Diego, a new era of Padres baseball was officially introduced as they welcomed in the new owners. Jose E. Afliciano and Kwanza Jones were introduced as the new majority owners of the San Diego Padres. They were introduced at a press conference. They walked out to some theme music. It was certainly theatrical. They talked to the media and answered questions for almost an hour and set all the right things and things. As a fan of a team, you want your owner to say, you know, we're gonna be competitive, we want to win. What does that look like. We don't know, but we envisioned some things and we're gonna be competitive and our goal is to bring a championship to the San Diego Yeah. They set all the right things and talked about the fan base and the community in San Diego, and that's all you could ask for for a team to have owners that are willing to win and do whatever it takes to win, and certainly as Dodger fans, and we've seen that the last almost fifteen years with this ownership, with Mark Walter and Company and the group in Guggenheim committing to win. And I say that because you look around Major League Baseball and certainly with the impending labor stoppage which we can all assume is going to happen after this World Series is all over, because the owners want one thing and our dead said at having a salary cap, and the players do not want it, and they're drawn a line in the sand. You know, we could have a work stoppage and most likely will come next Spring training. Whether it's a lockout or a strike, whatever you want to call it, there's going to be labor strife between the two sides. And it's because there are certain owners around Major League Baseball who, while they're the owners of the team and the stewards of that team in that city, don't do whatever they can to win each and every year, don't put their money where their mouths are, don't necessarily spend what they should be to be competitive. And certainly, I get every market is different, every range of money that you have to spend as different. Whether you're in Kansas City or Pittsburgh or Cleveland, or if you're in New York, San Francisco or LA it's different. The revenues are different. I get all that, but Baseball has done a really good job at trying to level the field as best they can with the luxury tax. And the luxury tax is there to provide support for teams that maybe are in smaller markets that don't have as deep as pockets as the big market teams and owners do. It's there to level it out as best as possible and put money back in the pockets of owners who maybe can't get the revenue from radio and TV and advertising deals that the New York's and San Francisco's and Seattle's and Chicago's the New York's of the world can, but they don't put the money back into their teams. They don't put that money back into the product and to the development around. That's a shame and that is a problem, and that is the cry of the players Union, which I support. It's one thing to say, well, as owners, we need a cap. Spending is getting out of control as far as these players' salaries. We want to cap it off. We want to limit to what these players can make with the salary cap. Well, the players are rightfully saying, whoa, whoa, whoa. If you're trying to do that, and we got to make a floor here, we have to make some kind of floor where the owners have to spend at least this amount of money to make a case that they're trying to be competitive. You can't have salary you know, you can't have a salary cap at three hundred million dollars when you got a team that an owner not willing to spend seventy five million dollars total on a roster or one hundred million dollars on a roster. Again, this is big money that you and I can't live in that same world. It's just not a reality. But to see these guys next year potentially going at it owners and players over spending and salary caps and salary floors something nobody wants to hear about. I get that, and it's not fun to talk about it. And fans don't care about that kind of stuff because they just want to see baseball. I get all that, but this all being said to see these new owners in San Diego, and yeah, it's kind of funny. People are making fun of them on social media for their their personal song they walked out to and a kwanza Jones and Jose Fliciano saying things and kind of being outgoing and you know, not the typical owners meeting and press conference you used to see him. But I like that. I think it's fun. I think it spices things up. It shows you have young owners and a couple that is investing in now a city in San Diego, a professional sports team in the Padres and that stadium, and want to build a competitor. That's great. It's great for them, it's great for the Dodgers. It's great for baseball because it's another competitive franchise and that's what you want. More teams with fresh blood if it needs or the old doll us start spending some of that money that they got in their pockets, because they've got it.
Speaker 2: These guys are.
Speaker 3: Billionaires for a reason. They're businessmen and women. There's a reason why they're they're upper one percent of one percent as far as money in this world and owning professional teams. Spend that money you invest in it spend it make more money, because certainly the blueprint is there for successful teams and it's not just all about spending. For those of you who want to look at the New York Mets prime example, you can have all the money in the world, Steve Cohen, but if you don't make the best decisions for your team and that fit for your organization, from the major league roster to the people who put it together to the minor league system and development, it's not all going to come together like it has for the Dodgers. They've clicked on everything, putting the right people in place to call the shots and Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gohins in the front office, to the coaching staff to the players, bringing in the right players because you can bring in superstars and they don't work. I mean, heck, we can look at two superstars they signed this past offseason that haven't had the kind of twenty twenty six that we thought in the vision they'd have, and Edwin Diaz and Kyle Tucker. It hasn't panned out. It hasn't, but they've hit more times than they've missed, the Los Angeles Dodgers. And then you bring into development and how to draft and bring up players and go out and get other players from the minor league systems to be a trade and develop those players. They just do it right. And again with the new ownership in San Diego with Quanta Jones and jose E Feliciano, you hope they bring some new blood and that same competitive spirit that we see with this Dodgers ownership. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Let's go out to the phones. Thank you for being patient. We appreciate it. Stu and Calabass to start things off here on this Monday night and off night Dodgers talk. How you doing, Stu?
Speaker 2: Excellent? Very little warm out here today, but we can survive. Let me give you some options to wake up the Dodger offense. Okay, you move Miggi Rojas to second base. You take Tommy Edmond and put him into either left or right doesn't matter. You put Tieke in center, and you rotate Tucker and Tao one against the lefty and one against the righty. I don't think those guys are hitting above two hundred against the lefty, lefty, righty, righty. You tell me that's not a good option.
Speaker 3: That is an option. I don't necessarily think it's an option right now. I still think the landing runway here for Kyle Tucker and Taskar Hernandez to get right is going to extend all the way through the end of the regular season, and even then so Taskar hernanz John Hartong mentioned just a few minutes ago the big three run home run, the Tao hit in Philadelphia. Guy's proven in the postseason he can perform. I'm still gonna bet on him in the lineup rather than him not in the lineup. Kyle Tucker's still going to prove it to me. And the last couple of days, you know, he's come through with some hits. He had a big RBI single over the weekend against the Pirates. We're seeing some glimpses. They're small glimpses, but we're seeing them. So there's still time for him, in my mind, to show that he come October is going to be that right fielder for the Dodgers. I don't see it changing. I don't see them abandoned him all of a sudden and going to a different option. I think they're going to give him the longest route possible here to make it work here in twenty twenty six and then into the postseason here of twenty twenty six, but that is certainly an option now with the center field spot and Andy Paie has you know, Alec Thomas has come in and had back to back RBI singles Saturday and Sunday since coming up from Triple A Oklahoma City Again. He's got four years in the major leagues with the Arizona Diamondbacks. For whatever reason, he fell off to start this season. They dfa'ed him, and the Dodgers gladly took them put him in Triple A, and for the last four months he has been redoing his swing. He has been working on, you know, his defense, and Alec Thomas the last couple of days has looked like, you know, the Alec Thomas we saw in Arizona, and that's all you can ask for from him until Andy Piz comes back. Now, the left field spot with you know, taoscar Hernandez. Okay, maybe maybe Tommy Edmand gets more more love some Keiky a Hernandez out in left field a little bit more. Okay, I'm all right with that because certainly those guys deserve playing time. I mean Kei ky Hearnandaz in particular. I'm talking about you got to get him more swings. It just feels like when Keyk's out there, he's making something happen. He's a spark and he's, you know, a guy who with you know you need a rally, you need something to get going. It's key K. I mean again, I watched the docu series and we watched the world series from twenty twenty four. It was Kei y Hernandez who got things going when they needed a big hit. Isabelle quickly, how you doing, Hey, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 2: Cam. I agree with you. I agree with you when you take there and they love Challenger.
Speaker 3: I agree everything.
Speaker 2: Dodger be fine. So anyway, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: Is it great to hear from you. Have a great rest of your night. Everybody else, you have a great rest of your night as well. Thanks to Ronnie Fossil for all his help. Thank you for listening, being a part of the show, Dodger Fans, and of course being a part on the podcast as well, where you can always listen on the iHeartRadio app Just listen for Dodger Talk and find it, subscribed to it and it's right there on your phone or tablet wherever you get your podcasts. Well, I'm wrong with casino Dodgers on deck beginning to three tomorrow. It's tyler Glass now making his return, Dodgers and braves until then, so everybody