Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: All right, it's the final game of the opening home stand for the Dodgers as they close out this series against the Guardians, and we're joined right now by thirty year Major League umpire now working for the umpire and Major League Baseball as an umpire observer. That's the one and only great Irish American, Brian Gorman. Brian, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I love being on your show.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you're the right guy to have around Dodgers Stadium these days. With this new ABS system. What has been from your standpoint in the umpire standpoint, how has it gone?
Speaker 3: Well, this is new for everybody.
Speaker 1: The guys I've talked to haven't been many, you know, during spring training and the last series in this series. Is that it's a little different. Parameters of the strike zone are a little different because of the new ABS system being based on the percentage of the player's height. Now juicy, just the midpoint between the the arm pit and the belt right now, it's the percentage of the height, and the umpires don't know how tall each guy is, so it's you know, fifty seven point five percent of the player's height on the upper end, twenty five percent on the lower end. So it's a little difficult. Plus it's they used to have a little buffer from in and out, like you know, the width of the plate. Now it's just the straight seventeen inches.
Speaker 3: So so the.
Speaker 1: Strike zone has changed a little bit in that sense that the parameters are a little different. That's why you're seeing some uh, some challenges and pitches missing by zero point three inches and things like that. But you know, it's technology and you can you got to keep up with it.
Speaker 2: Before we get into all that. You know, the umpires, you talk to them as they come through Dodger Stadium. How are they handling all this?
Speaker 1: Well, that was their biggest uh. I wouldn't say complain, but that was their biggest worries that the parameters of the strike zone have changed.
Speaker 3: So they have to adapt to it.
Speaker 1: Eventually they'll get there, but you know, it's it's it's difficult to say, you know, fifty seven point five percent of your high when you're looking at a guy. You know that you have to be a math major figure out what the top of the zone is. So so that's going to be the adjustment. And you know, life full of adjustments when it comes to umpire, and so they'll I think they're doing pretty good when when you know, there's like five to maybe seven challenges of the game, and you get some of them right and some of them are just missing by point two point three point one. So I think, you know, eventually, you know, come July there might be a little change, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Brian Gorman, former Major league umpire, is our guest now an umpire observer. This is the one point that we talked about during the offseason that all of us have not wrapped our head around completely. What is the strike zone for Freddie Freeman compared to the strike zone for Mookie Betts. Is it as exact as they want to make us believe.
Speaker 1: Well, based on a player's height is where they're coming from the top of zone, bottom of zone. The width stays the same for everybody, it's seventeen inches, But the taller player will have a high strike zone than the shorter player. The strike zone is based on his actual swing, so they've taken that into account. But a taller player will have a taller strike zone, yes, or a player will have a smaller strike zone.
Speaker 2: For example, Freddy Freeman standing straight up, his height is a lot different than what it is when he's in the batter's.
Speaker 3: Box, without question.
Speaker 1: And then when these swings had a pitch, a lot of guys crouch a little bit lower than other guys. But you know they've come up with this percentage, and you know they're going to go with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any chance that they tweak as the season goes on.
Speaker 1: They don't like to tweak during the season because that changes it as the season goes along.
Speaker 3: I think most tweaking will be done in the offseason.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brian Gorman is our guest. Now we've seen the first weekend of results of percentages of success. Not surprising catchers have had the highest success rate. Did that surprise you anything surprise you from the first weekend of the season.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 1: Like a home plate umpire almost has the same view as the catcher. That's the best few you could possibly have with a pitch coming in. Hitters probably have the second best view, but they're looking at it from the side view, so that's difficult to figure out the outer and the upper and the inside pitch. Pitchers probably have the worst one because as soon as they release it, they think it's a strike. But that's why the success rate for catchers have been the best out of the three of them. And they're still wrong or right how you do it fifty percent of the time. So I heard the other fans said, you know, the umpire was so horrible, we ran out of the challenges in the third ending. I'm like, well, that doesn't make sense because he got it right. So that's the reason.
Speaker 3: Why you ran out of challenge.
Speaker 2: Is that's the flip side as well. Right, this may prove that umpires are really good at their job.
Speaker 1: Look at the figures. When you see point three percent this, I mean, nobody's that good. I can't tell the inside of the baseball as it's coming at me at eighty eight miles an hour, if it just nixed the inside of the corner, you know, you'd have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Brian Gorman is our guest, former thirty year Major league umpire and now an umpire observer. There was some controversy in a Twins Orioles game over the weekend. How tough is it for the home plate umpire to see the picture, actually tap their hat if they're the ones. Because there's so much going on. What is the kind of routine now that every umpire has to keep an eye on for the catcher and for the picture and for the hitter to tap their hat to signal a challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guideline is to tap your hat, but also give an audio will uh, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm challenging it.
Speaker 1: Picture's too far away so he can't you know, you really can't hear him. But and then the picture kind of fell up the mound a little bit, you know, got his composure, then tapped his hat, So the picture is probably the hardest one. You know, batter just easily turns around, says you know, I'm challenging catchroll turn around and he's right in front of you, so you'll see him tap the hat. But they have to do it immediately. Everybody's saying two to three seconds, so they have to do it immediately after. If they don't do it immediately after, you're not going to accept the challenge. They don't want guys to looking to dug out and say challenge it. That's all reason behind that. But pitchers probably the hardest one because he's right at the end of his delivery, he sees the call, then you kind of have to give him a little time to get his composure to have his hat, and.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have a team game plan to not allow their pictures to challenge. It's all on the catchers, specifically Will Smith, who's in there more than not for some of these reasons. Before I let you go, you're a fan of the game, you're a former Major League umpire. You've seen the way crowds here at Dodgers Stadium on this first homestand have reacted to seeing the pitch coming in and whether or not it hits the strike zone. What has been your reaction to the way fans react.
Speaker 1: I think it's kind of interesting because it really adds a whole nother lay of strategy involved. I mean, fans are gonna get met at the players for challenging, and then then they get met at players.
Speaker 3: For not challenging.
Speaker 1: So you know, if you have a situation and the first thing nobody on too outs and somebody challenges and loses it, you're gonna boom. I mean, you're not gonna watch that challenge would be lost because you might need it. The seventh any when you know, got a guy on second and third and one out. So so it's a whole another layer of strategy. And I've already seen you know, plans go I can't believe he did he didn't challenge it, or I can't believe he did challenge that one.
Speaker 3: So it's it's kind of fun in the sense that there's more strategy, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're in the Tommy Lasorta part of the press box. I love hearing your stories about different managers. Do you have one story that sticks out about Tommy Lasorta. While you were umpiring, he was one of.
Speaker 3: My first ejections.
Speaker 1: He Uh, I was working the plate and uh, he did like a few pitches I called, and he looked. I looked over to him and he, you know, he held up two, and then, you know, a couple of pitches later, I looked over, he holds up three, like that how many he thinks I missed?
Speaker 3: So, you know, I ejected him.
Speaker 1: And then after the game, reading in the paper the other day, he said something like, oh, I really liked his dad.
Speaker 3: I'm not too crazy about his son. Belt.
Speaker 2: I wonder how Tommy Lasorda would react to the abs Oh.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't He would be having headaches, would he be pounding his head so much?
Speaker 2: Brian, thanks a lot for giving us some much needed insight on how this is working out with the ABS the first week of the opening series, and look forward to seeing you all season long. So thank you for the time being. I like you more than your dad or just as much.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.