Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Happy Third of July. What says America more than our guy, Tommy Edmund? Tommy, thanks a lot for the time. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That's right, Hey, I spent some Fourth of julys in Delmar back in my younger days, Tommy Edmund.
Speaker 3: Nice beautiful area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing better than you know, going to the beach on a beautiful sunny day in San Diego, maybe get a little bonfire and you know, just nothing, no better way to spend.
Speaker 2: The fourth It's like you were there with me.
Speaker 3: I might have been there.
Speaker 1: You know. I've probably spent a couple of days of del Mar on the Fourth of July in my younger days. But you know, most of most of my Fourth of July is the last ten years, have been spent playing baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think people appreciate this. There's so many great summer holidays to spend with your family. But as a guy that's dedicated his life to playing baseball and to make it to this level, what's it been like for you to even have seen Fourth of July outside of a baseball stadium. Were you like ten years old when that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, probably going back to the the pre travel ball days because you know, growing up, even in high school, you're playing tournaments most of the summer, so you know, it's pretty much always just been Fourth of July baseball games. But you know, that's that's kind of what I know, and you know, I appreciate it and it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund is our guest. He's back, he's healthy, and he was a big part of the Dodgers coming from behind last night. That was a really fun watch to see the resilience of the group last night. What was the talk in the dugout when you get down six nothing to be able to chip away the way you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, great offensive performance. We just kind of maintained the consistency of at bats throughout. You know, we didn't try to do too much, didn't try to you know, score six rounds with one swing. You know, just a lot of really good at bats consecutively, and you know that was just kind of the mindset of our offense. Just just chip away slowly.
Speaker 2: How fun was it for you to have rushing in front of you and you guys doing your thing last night?
Speaker 3: Man, him and him and Tucker.
Speaker 1: I think they got on base every single time yesterday, so, you know, and those two guys were hitting two and Erosa just before me, and then three battles before me, So I had a lot of guys on base. But yeah, it just seemed like there was, you know, constant activity on the base pass throughout the game.
Speaker 3: Tommy.
Speaker 2: We always talk about the gifts that you guys have physically, You've been here, been part of back to back championships. What about the mental toughness yourself and the rest of your teammates have had the last three years, including on display last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that's what it takes to be a successful baseball player, to be a successful team in this league. You know, everybody in Major League Baseball has got a ton of talent, you know, and I think it's the mental side that separates the good players from the best players.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, we have a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: Who are are really tough, have a really good grasp on the mindset that is required in this game.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I think that's what makes us so great.
Speaker 2: How have you guys been able to just be on the same page on that sort of wavelength, to have the same sort of mental toughness nobody really seems to waiver.
Speaker 1: I think it's part of just who guys are on this team. It's just kind of built into our personalities. And then also just having having played together, we have a we have a group of guys that, for the most part, we've all played together for the last several years, some guys longer than others, you know, months, He's been here forever, and you know, Freddie Muki have been here a number of years now. So I think just the more experience you get playing with one another, the more you understand what what makes each other tick, and you know, it helps create a uh some good chemistry in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund is our guest just in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Padres. Tommy, hard to ignore how well you've been playing since coming off the il. You've only been back thirteen games, but from the press box vantage point, it just seems like you have a lot more stability, a lot more strength with the way the right foot is feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel really confident with everything so far. You know, I feel like I'm able to do everything on the field that I that I was able to before the ankle problems, uh kind of popped up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm moving around the field still my first base yesterday, and you know, just feel like I can be an explosive player out there.
Speaker 2: Does it make it awkward when your trainers walk by and you've overcome them, including Possum Nakajima.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Passum has been a huge help, and he's a Yeah, he's my favorite trainer on the whole team. And I'm not only saying that because he's standing right here looking at me.
Speaker 2: How much was he wasn't really involved in your recovery? Was he?
Speaker 3: He helped out a little bit?
Speaker 1: He said, he gives me some he's some good soft tissue work.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmant is our guest. All right, Otani night, Edmund. Did you think you were going to get out of here without answering an Otani question?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Maybe, I would say it happens about twenty percent of the time.
Speaker 2: But okay, I want to ask you about Otani. I'll ask you about Dalton Rushing. There's been a lot of talk about the way he plays with so much emotion. Can he last a whole season riding that emotional wave or is that something that he's going to learn on his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that's kind of what makes him tick.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And we're all we've played with Rushing Dalton for you know, about a year now, so I feel like we have a pretty good understanding of who he is as a player and as a person. And you know who he is on the field. He's a he's a competitive but he's a great teammate in the clubhouse. And you know, I think I think eventually, at some point, you know, he'll maybe tone down a little bit on the field. But you know, I don't think it's ever gonna go away completely. And I don't I don't think we wanted to.
Speaker 3: You know. That's that's what makes him so good.
Speaker 1: It's just his his drive and his desire to be so great out there.
Speaker 2: It's got to matter that he cares as much as he does.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, there's yet you can never you can never say that he doesn't care about the game.
Speaker 2: How about you. I never think you get too high or too low. You're very even Keel you're I need you in my life.
Speaker 3: Tommy Edmund, Yeah, I don't know. I think that's just kind of who I am as a person. I guess it carries over.
Speaker 1: To the way I uh, the way I perform, and the way I am on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, love having you with the Dodgers. Can't state it enough. Don't tell Freddy, no tany this, but Tommy Edmund, it's one of my favorite players to watch play the game. So thank you for the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I appreciate it. You're my favorite reporter.
Speaker 2: Hey, there we go. See that's why I love this guy.