Speaker 1: It's Mojo in the morning show boy.
Speaker 2: I love when we get, you know, from more of the Roses to am I, the a Hole, the second date, updates and all that stuff. But then we got all the personal stuff that we talk about, things going on in our lives. Shannon's going to get very personal about a little I don't know. I call it a fight, argument or discussion in your marriage.
Speaker 3: I mean it's all of the above. To be honest with you, I need the comfy chair for this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Wes has been on my case lately about something I'm doing that he says is impacting our ability to communicate with each other right now. And last night he got real upset with me about it. And it's my tendency to interrupt, so like he'll, yeah, he'll I know, I do it too. This is the thing, Like I am aware. Lucy has made me aware. It drives her crazy. I listened back to our podcast sometimes and I'm like and shot up, like let other people speak.
Speaker 4: But it's gotten.
Speaker 3: Really bad in our relationship because he said that he'll try to tell a story about something that happened in his day or share his opinion or side of the story about something that we're talking about, and he can't even get three words out before I'm pouncing on him with my own thoughts or I'm trying to defend myself, or you know, whatever it is. And so last night spit hit the fan because he was trying to talk to me about something and here I come in and interrupt him, and he just sat back in his chair at the table and folded his hands and stopped talking, and so I knew at that point, I was like, well, he missed it. I really messed it. Like it's yeah, He's like, we can't even have a discussion without you interrupting me. I can't even get out what I want to say because you're so bad. And my excuse is always I feel like it's ingrained in me because of what we do. We're all in here, we're all trying to get a word in and jump on top of each other and be a part of a discussion. And he's like, you have to stop using that as your excuse. This is not the show.
Speaker 2: You said that he was telling you about his day. Do you you interrupt in just regular conversation a lot? Or is are you talking when you're having an argument You're.
Speaker 4: In both all of it all the time.
Speaker 1: And interrupted a lot.
Speaker 5: Has this been like something He's like, how soon into the relationship did he bring this up?
Speaker 4: I don't remember, keV, but it comes up all the time.
Speaker 5: And have you actively tried to do anything or is it you just like you say, blame it on your professor?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, But then sometimes it comes up so often, and again that's on me because I'm not doing a good job. But then sometimes I get snarky and I'll just like sit and not say anything I asked.
Speaker 2: It even worse because I'm like, oh, he wants So if you listen to the podcast that Chelsea and I do that we don't podcast, we talked specifically about this, and actually it comes up a ton in our podcast where Chelse feels this same way that West feels, where she feels like she's always been interrupted and it's gotten to a point where now she will go stop interrupting me, like she will literally like call me like she started doing what Wes did, where she'll back off and then make it apparent that that's the case, but now she'll actually go, no, don't cut me off, Like she's like, you're not going to cut me off, and it's bad.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's funny that we blame it on what we do for a living and we blame it on this Well, I think that honestly, there is a similarity and personality sometimes of you and I. Yeah things, So I definitely don't know if it is this job that does it or if it's just that's how we were raised. I was raised as the baby of the family of six, and if you didn't speak up, you didn't get hurt. But that shouldn't affect my family and my wife, and obviously you know, Wes shouldn't be affected by yours either, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it's gotten to the point where he, like you said, Chelsea, will say you're doing it again, you're interrupting me. Stop interrupting me. Or he'll he just shuts down. Yeah, he just sucks down. And then if we're and if we're talking about something important, that the discussion's over and it's just like, let we're left hanging and I feel like crap.
Speaker 5: But I people want to be heard, people want to be understood, and they want to be seen. And when I'm telling you over and over again that you're not seeing me, and one you don't get it, and then two you patronize me by being snarky. It's almost like, not only do you not care what I'm telling you, you don't care how it makes me feel. And when you don't care how it makes me feel, since you're not protecting me, I have to protect me. So I'm not going to say anything.
Speaker 3: I think hard part two, and I'm making excuses for myself. I'm very aware i'm doing this is if he's saying something that I know is wrong, I want to defend myself before he goes any further.
Speaker 2: The problem, though, is that you aren't listening. And that's what but I've been told. But I'm speaking from experience of of this because I do the same thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm a kettle in the pot and I'm black. But you want to but but I do. I listen.
Speaker 2: I I it's tough to be married to somebody that's always interrupting you. I feel horrible for Wes. I feel horrible for my wife. I feel horrible for anybody else that deals with this. West is only interrupt me.
Speaker 5: West forget what I got to say.
Speaker 4: Just interrupted him.
Speaker 5: Wes, good morning, you got you and Chelsea should have like a do you guys have your own text exchange that you guys talk to each other and don't interrupt each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll call it.
Speaker 1: Why did we say? Yes?
Speaker 6: You are?
Speaker 1: So what's going on?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 6: I thought you Kevin and Shannon did a very good job of explaining everything. That's not much I can really add to it. That means that you're aware, and when you're aware, it becomes a choice, and when it's a choice, it's hurtful. So that's just not a fun place to be because I think Shannon knows one of the big things in our relationship that I think she shared in the past is for me, one of the biggest things is to be acknowledged and validated in conversation to then have a deep, meaningful relationship. And so that's really important. When somebody cuts you off and assumes either your intent or assumes your response, then they don't care, and that can be pretty hurtful.
Speaker 4: H Can you tell he's still mad at me?
Speaker 2: By the way, Kristin wants to comment Kristin.
Speaker 4: Hello, I I.
Speaker 8: I do the same thing, and I was really bad for a long time. So you know, I did some deep diving into my childhood and I'm an only child, and I really feel like every time I did it, it was just a defense mechanism of needing to be heard because as an only child, I was kind of ignored.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a little bit of a difficult household.
Speaker 8: So you know, I'm really think you that if you think about when you're interrupting, and you think about all those times, that's that's where it comes from. It's like, hey, listen to me, I'm important. I have to say is important. So that's that's just personally what I thought.
Speaker 2: That's well, And I think everybody's got a different reason of why why they do do it, But the biggest thing is acknowledging that you do it and then trying to stop yourself from doing it.
Speaker 1: Kelly, what's up? Hey, how are you?
Speaker 9: My husband and I do the exact same thing. I interrupt him constantly. He'll just stop the conversation and tell me that he's not talking to you when I'm interrupting, and I tell him it's all about ADHD.
Speaker 4: That's my excuse.
Speaker 9: But in reality, in reality, it's about like something comes in my head and I just have a like it's just comes out of my mouth without me even thinking when they when I hear you're making a decision to interrupt, I'm not. It's just it just happens without even a thought. It I got something to say, it's coming out.
Speaker 2: You hear the pain in Wes's voice, though, Did you hear that when he when he just said what he said?
Speaker 5: He's very eloquent. I mean, that's yeah, that's yeah. And I don't know you, but that's all like an excuse to me. And obviously I'm not a medical professional. Notice is just one man's opinion from the West side of the trade. But I do think that once your spouse brings up that it is affecting them then and I hope you are more intentional when you have conversations that, hey, I need to lock in and listen like that. I think that's and correct me if I'm wrong West when you say, it's a choice. But I can understand just the old random conversation let me blurt something out. But when we're sitting down and we're having a conversation, hopefully you understand that you need to switch and we need to have an intentional conversation. You don't need to interrupt every time, Wes.
Speaker 6: If there's a pattern and you call out that pattern, and then it's a choice. You don't need metal for the five K, you need one for coaching your bugs.
Speaker 1: Quick question, Wes, when's it? When's it hurt more?
Speaker 2: When you're just telling a random this is what my day was like, or when you're in the midst of an argument.
Speaker 6: It's the same. It could be Hey, I'm excited about something at work, or it's like, hey, let's talk about our plan for the weekend, or hey, let's talk about something going on with the kids in the house.
Speaker 1: But what about an argument, though, Because.
Speaker 10: In an argument, no, because if you kind of expect that in an argument. As far as I'm concerned, that's what I know that you're going up against a bit of.
Speaker 2: A wall, because I was wondering that because when you are the thing that would mean to me looking like I like seeing that you guys are going through this, because we're going through this too, and I like to know that other people are. Now with that said, I got to fix mine. I can't worry about everybody else's and mine is bad too. But when you're talking about yeah, I'm just trying to tell her about my day and she's interrupting me and telling me all this stuff. What that is is that is not showing you any of the respect that your day matters at all. And so and I do that to Chelse all the time, Like I'll sit there and have a conversation with Chelsea and then what ends up happening is the only time that I understand or or realize when I am interrupting is when we are in an argument and our voices raise, and she will that's when she'll do the don't cut me off, Like she'll actually call out that, don't cut me off. And when she does that, like, I go, okay, whatever, But to now look back at the fact that I'm not even like making her seem like her day matters at all. And Shannon, I don't know if you even realize when you're doing this that you're making West feel like, hey, the guy is not mannering like you know, you're more important than he is.
Speaker 1: So this is a great, real.
Speaker 5: Great This is be the last thing I say, because some just popped in my mind where in my previous relationship where I made an error and I've said it before, but I think sometimes that is connect is between value and vision, and we don't always have a value problem. We have a vision problem. And obviously you two value each other, you value each other's hearts. I know you value us Wes's perspective and you want to make sure that he's safe. But maybe it's just like you got the glasses on it. Maybe it's the way that you're seeing these certain situations and you don't see it as a problem even though you value him. And I think if we change the way that we look at something, then the person that we're changing it for will feel valued. But it's just from our perspective. It's just how we see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kevin has all of these great quotes in the minds, but no, woman, what's going There's got to be something. Can I talk to your acces make some mistakes? Hey, Wes, she's wearing glasses today. I'm wondering, is she wearing glasses because you guys were up all night arguing. No, I'm just wanting to because sometimes you get tired because you're up all night talking.
Speaker 4: I wear them when I drive, and I just wore them into day.
Speaker 1: They're so cute.
Speaker 2: I Uh, I do think that it would be great if there was a like how Lydia went to that retreat, the church retreat. It'd be nice to go to a retreat for like a couples where you go for the weekend. You have no phones, you have nothing else there and literally all you do is talk to each other and communicate with each other, and somebody is there to acknowledge, you know, and bad communication.
Speaker 4: I think they have those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you.
Speaker 5: Guess I couldn't go because you know, I don't have a woman, and no, you come in at the end as the guy swinging whatever's.
Speaker 1: Hold on? Last call here, Taylor, what did you want to say? Taylor?
Speaker 11: Honestly, you and Kevin kind of put it, put what I wanted to say in the words too, because, like you said too, you can really hear the pain and West's voice, and I've actually have been there personally.
Speaker 7: You know, I grew up at a household with a lot of kids, and you know, you have to speak your mind.
Speaker 5: You have to.
Speaker 7: You know, if you wanted to be urge, you had to say it. But at the same time, you have to know how to control it. When you're in a relationship with someone you care about, someone you're supposed to communicate with because you are making them feel like they don't matter their feelings and their day, and they're whatever they have to say doesn't matter because you keep interrupting them because clearly what you have to say is more important what they're telling you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, Taylor, appreciated it.
Speaker 7: It's really important to acknowledge, you know, when you're doing something, when you're not doing something. And Well said it too. You know, obviously in an argument you expect each other to kind of interrupt each other to get your point of view out, to defend each other. You know, in an argument that's essentially what you're doing. You're defending yourself. So but you know, when it comes to other things, you just have to tind to recognize that you know you care about this person and you do want to hear what they say.
Speaker 1: Can I interrupt Tailor and just say we gotta go?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 11: I do.
Speaker 1: I do applauge with Shannon.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 5: I do applage because I do think you want to change. That's why you brought it up. I don't think you're just doing this for a topic. I think deep down you see how it's affecting West and you want to te like.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I do a good job, right Wes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like your bringing up as a topic because we didn't talk.
Speaker 4: I got another topic for tomorrow.
Speaker 8: I love you.
Speaker 4: I love you too,