Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Five AM six forty Bill Handle here on a Wednesday morning, November fifth. Quick reminder coming up by Saturday, the Neil Savedra The Fork Report Show from two to five. He is going to be broadcasting at the Wild Fork Store in Laguna Miguel.
Speaker 1: I am joining him.
Speaker 2: For the broadcast from two to five, and it's thanks Grilling where Ho Man. The food is great and they're free samples at a lot of them, the meat provided by Wild Fork. There'll be all kinds of giveaways. Zelman's will be there offering their new product, the Spearman Zelmans. A lot going on, so please join us at the Wild Fork Restaurant. And we're going to talk about Prop fifty right now. But before I do, and this somehow has been lost a little bit in the shuffle, and that is the Supreme Court is hearing a case as to does the President have the right to arbitrarily invoke tariffs? And he's done this under the National Emergency Powers Act. And effectively, what the Court is going to decide is the president's declaration of a national economic emergency?
Speaker 1: Is that legitimate? If he says it is that true. That's it. That's where the Court's going to go. If he says it's true, it is true.
Speaker 2: Same thing with the war powers act, with the cartels, with the immigration. If there is an invasion, it is true. There is an invasion, notwithstanding anything else. Okay, that's a big, big deal, which we'll be talking about now. Prop fifty passed yesterday overwhelmingly. It passed basically two to one, and we sort of knew that was going to happen. And this has to do with redistricting. Now, there are two kinds of redistricting, and that's drawing a district map and jerrymandering, which should draws these ridiculous maps that enclose some neighborhoods and not others. And there are two kinds of the redistricting. Who does it one independent commissions. California decided back during the Schwarzenegger years that we didn't want to politicize this. We wanted an independent commission to redistrict so politics did not have anything to do with it, and that was happening every ten years based on the census. The other side of it is the legislatures still have the power and this is mainly in the South, still have the power to redistrict themselves where they look at politics and it's pure politics. And what California is done this time is now pass a law that undos the Independent Commission temporarily until twenty thirty and it gives the legislature the power to redistrict. And what's going to happen. This is what redistricting is about. Is the legislature takes one district reforms it. So let's say all in this case, it is this way, all the Democrats in the South, all the Democrats are in one area. They sort of draw the line around a well with a Democrat with this legislature around a Republican area, leaving all the areas around it at least a good chance to be to vote on the other side.
Speaker 1: Okay, does that make sense? It can be a little.
Speaker 2: Complicated, so it basically almost guarantees that what was a swing district can now be much closer to your political position. And Prop fifty undid that. Now, some democratics states did this, but this one was in direct response to President Trump who told Texas, I I want you to readistrict. I want the legislature to draw those districts. So all the Democrats in that area are in one district, Okay, we'll give you that one, but the ones around it, we want the chance for them to be Republican. And it looks like five seats could go the other way and become Republican. So California did exactly the same thing. California said, Okay, you do that, We're gonna do the same thing. Screw the independent commissions. We're gonna make sure that a Republican district stays Republican, but all the areas around it, we're gonna make absolutely sure that they're going to be democratic. That's jerry mandering, that's redistricting. And California went that way. So now the politics of this, I'm going to come back with deal with this one. The politics of this has to do with which way Democrats are deally within this state, Gavin Newsom and how powerful he has become, and the power of the president when he says this is what I want, and of course the Republican Party does exactly that is what happened in Texas. So there's a few moving pieces here that I want to share with you. And then the absolute fun one. This is a post by the President. And I'm not gonna say yout does himself because he outdes themselves every time he posts something, and then he out does himself. But it's one of the reasons, one of the reasons why there was a guarantee that Prop. Fifty was going to pass under any circumstances outside of the overwhelming number of Democrats in this state. As a matter of fact, we knew. I knew it was going to pass. Why I know it was going to pass because the President in social site on his called the vote a giant scam and it was rigged and under very serious legal and criminal review.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned.
Speaker 2: Okay, when that happens, it's a win on the other side usually.
Speaker 1: So, now, what does this mean.
Speaker 2: I told you in the previous segment the particulars, and that is it's redistricting. It's making if you're a Republican legislature you're going to get extra seats in the Republican Congress, and if you're a Democrat it goes the other way completely. Now, this has to do with a couple of things that are really important. One, it's fighting fire with fire. If Texas did this, pursue it to the request of the president, then we're going to do this. It's just that simple. It's fighting fire with fire, nothing more, nothing less. And now comes the politics of this. Gavin Newsom he bet effectively his political future on Prop fifty and it won two to one, immediately catapulting him into more of a national figure than he was before to the extent that he is going to be running for president. And also keep in mind Alex Padilla, US Senator just dropped out Kamala Harris. She says she's not running, So it's big news for Gavin Newsom. And the other one is a repudiation of the president. I was watching Fox News yesterday with their analysis, which I thought was damn good by the way, I thought that actually I thought it was better than CNN and better than MSNBC. And they pointed out that without Trump on the ticket, the chances of.
Speaker 1: Passage are far far less.
Speaker 2: In other words, carrying some carrying someone, or it's a down ticket that is going to win. That's how important Donald Trump is to the Republican Party, to the MAGA supporters, to the election of any kind as far as the Republicans are concerned.
Speaker 1: And so if.
Speaker 2: Trump isn't there you know what, I don't think we're gonna vote that way. If it ain't Trump, it ain't good. Even when he endorses people, they look at the endorsement not nearly as powerfully as when he is on the ticket. And what does that translate to, Well, it wasn't just Prop fifty. It was on the East coast, the governor of New Jersey, the governor of Virginia, Mom Donnie On, the socialist mayor in New York. It was a across the country. It was a Democratic landslide. It was a wipeout. And so the now the Republicans are looking at do we really want Trump's endorsement, much like Joe Biden towards the end, Democrats didn't want to get anywhere near Biden's endorsement. Even when he offered it. The Democrats said, no, no, no, I don't want it. That's not gonna help me. He's probably gonna hurt me. And I think in the case of Trump, an endorsement is going to hurt a candidate more than not because what this was and described not only redistricting, not only either gaining seats or losing seats depending on which side of the coin you're on which side of the aisle, but it was defined as and I believe it's true. This vote was a direct repudiation of Donald Trump by a lot of America. And in Fox they did that. They did a diagram and doing the analysis, and the number of voters who voted across the country, not for the issue at hand, but for the repudiation of Donald Trump was an astronomical figure. Frankly, I was stunned. Republicans, I think were stunned. Not at the win, because everybody knew Prop fifty was going to win two to one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then when you look at the governor's race in Virginia, you look at the governor's race in New Jersey that was supposed to be Democrats still had.
Speaker 1: A lead, but very close.
Speaker 2: It was a wipeout, and Mam Donnie, well, we knew that was gonna win. The only place where Mamdani lost dramatically was in the Jewish parts of New York because he's a Muslim, and not so much he's a Muslim, is that in the past his political views were very anti Israel and very pro Palestinian and and he's walking that back.
Speaker 1: By the way. The same thing with defund the police.
Speaker 2: A lot of his politics and his positions are coming back and why well, he had to to win the election. And as Barack Obama said, it's when he was after he became president. It's real easy to campaign. I mean, it's a grind, but it's real easy to campaign and say what you're going to do and what you're not going to do. Get behind that desk. It is a whole different world, and I think that's what Momdani is going to have to deal with. Okay, Okay, I want to tell you a story. Okay, and let me start with. Federal judges are appointed for life, literally for life vacations. They take them whenever they want cases they can say no to. They can sit on a beach in Cancun. Now they don't even for the most part. They work very, very hard. So there is one federal judge and this has to do with people aging out, and that connects with Mom, Donnie and certainly Cuomo. There is a US well, there's a federal US Circuit Court judge by the name of Pauline Newman. Pauline Newman is ninety eight years old. Pauline Newman, Pauline Newman does not know what they have, where she is, and what she is. She knows she's a federal judge. She knows she can't be bounced. The only way a federal judge can be removed is by impeachment, so they are there for life. She's the oldest federal judge not to have taken the form of semi retirement known as senior status. Senior status means that they hear oceans and do calendar calls and don't get into the merits. They don't get into the weeds of a case. She says, nope, I'm going to hear cases now. Is there anything that can be done?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, The Chief Federal Circuit Judge, kimber Judge Kimberly Moore said that she has shown signs of serious cognitive and physical impairment, and then put her on this retirement if you will, but still on the men. She still makes her two hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year, and she is suing. She says she is fit to serve and sued the council. This judicious council considered consisting of other judges who want to put her on senior status, which means she's not going to hear any cases.
Speaker 1: And the wow.
Speaker 2: Now, so far the appeals court has ruled against her, saying the courts themselves have consistently affirmed the judiciaryes authority to police itself, not remove her. That is not going to happen there. When I lived in Los Angeles on the West side, Hancock Park, adjacent my neighbor, his dad was the oldest sitting judge in the country. He was hearing cases at ninety three. But again he was only hearing motions, and he did calendar calls. Lawyers would go, your honor, I can't do trial at that time. I have to go ahead and ask for continuance. That's what he sort of did. Newman wants to hear cases. Is she going to She should sit in Cancun and by the way, she's going to die in office. There's one apocryphal case and it's I don't know if it's an urban leg or not, but there's one a profitable apocryphal case of one of the judges sitting in California that one of the senior judges that win the clerks applied to be applied to their office.
Speaker 1: That's how that's what happens after law school.
Speaker 2: If you really want to move up, you clerk for a judge, usually a federal judge or above. Part of the job is they had to change the judges diapers. That is a tough thing to do as a court clerk. Why because judges stay put for the rest of their lives. So now, yesterday I heard an interview with Nancy Pelosi. Nancy Pelosi is eighty six years old. She gave up her leadership. She was speaker, and she voluntarily gave up her leadership to Hakim Jeffries, who I think is in his forties, to go to a younger generation. And she said something very interesting the reasons she gave it up, and talked about Trump, who she hates, and went on and and she said she's retiring at the end of this term. But she also said, if I decide to run again, I will win. That's a given. There is no argument against that. That is as real as gravity. There's no chance I would ever lose at eighty six. And therein lies the issue, and this is particularly among Democrats. Are Democrats a lot of them the leadership roles just too old, is it? The Joe Biden syndrome where you go.
Speaker 1: That's enough.
Speaker 2: This really took a turn when Biden ran for president the second time out. Why because I think he was eighty one at the time, and an old eighty one. He shuffled, he had a real problem with cognition. He would forget. I mean, he was a really old eighty one. Now Donald Trump was no youngster. But Donald Trump, I think is he eighty yet. I don't know if he's seventy nine or eighty, but he is one of the youngest seventy nine or eighties that exists. The guy has unbelievable amounts of energy. And if you're talking about old Biden, old Trump young for his age. And they're into the problem, particularly with the Democratic Party, because what you have, effectively are old people that should be termed out that are not termed out, because as long as they are keeping getting elected, you can have people being elected into their nineties. I think the oldest person whoever was re elected in the Senate was either strom Thurman or Robert Byrd. I'm trying to remember which one, but they were elected in their nineties. So there's no such thing as turning out when running for office. But here is A real problem is that look at where the demic party is moving. What did mom Dommy win? Was it just politics? No, I don't think so. A lot was made of the fact that he's thirty four years old, and Andrew Cuomo is sixty seven years old, and sixty seven years old is a youngster in the world of the Senate and Congress. Jerry Nadler, who is a congressman, and he announced he's not going to seek reelection. Why, well, he's seventy eight, and he said, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm done.
Speaker 2: Maybe younger people can do a better job. But why do few politicians in his age bracket feel the same way? Well, because it's a good job. I mean there's a lot of work. If you do it right, you make a real impression. You really have a power where you can make change. And I think that is part and parcel of it. But people just don't require retire. Maxine Waters owns her district has for I don't know how many decades.
Speaker 1: She's eighty seven. Stenny Hoyer when.
Speaker 2: The leaders of the Republican or the Democratic Party, he's eighty six. Nancy Pelosi is eighty five, Bernie Sanders is eighty.
Speaker 1: Four, you know, at some point the.
Speaker 2: Electorate say, okay, it's time for a younger generation. And this is where a lot of people gave Nancy Pelosi, or give Nancy Pelosi a lot of credence and a lot of credit because she said, remember she's eighty six.
Speaker 1: She said at his time for a younger generation.
Speaker 2: We can't have people in their eighties and nineties still deciding which way the company the country goes.
Speaker 1: She's still in Congress. She just took a back seat.
Speaker 2: She gave up the most powerful position that she held for decades in the House of Representatives, and that's speaker. And if the Democrats take over the House, it'll be Hakim Jeffries. He is now the minority leader anyway, who has has trend's power as the leader of the party not in power, and he has power now the speaker. That is an astoundingly powerful position. The speaker can call a vote, can say we're not voting. The speaker can bring a bill on the floor the speaker. The speaker can say nope, we're not going to bring a vote on the floor. And what you're gonna have is a fight. What you do have is hockeying. Jeffries via Mike Mike Johnson, who is a speaker. Both young men and I think that they're going to stay in powerful positions. But these ulsters, man, it is it time just to move. At some point, you know, you have to give it up, and it's hard to give up. I mean a lot of kudos going on, You get a lot of free meals, a lot of yes sirs, Yes, ma'am. They have tremendous power. No one says no to a congress person in their own district, old people. That's why I'm going to be here for the rest of my life. Matter of fact, when I lose all cognition, which actually I have already, when I don't know where I am.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much what's happening right.
Speaker 2: Now, when I grope for words and don't really understand what I'm speaking of. Yeah, pretty much, okay, KF I am six point forty.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.