Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk. Get in on the show by calling eight six six non a seven two seven more hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Masse.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're back for another Dodger Talk tonight. Thank you for joining us. We're with you until eight o'clock right here on A five seven b LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight. Interesting. Not too many people go to the movie theaters anymore to watch movies. Well, I have a reason for you to go to the theater again to watch a documentary film on the Dodgers, specifically the Tokyo series. That's right February twenty third and twenty fourth only. This documentary film on the Tokyo series, behind the scenes of the Dodgers trip to Japan is going to be in theaters near you. Just go to Fathom Entertainment dot com to get your tickets. I've seen some in the Valley, Semi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Woodland Hills. It's all going to be showing there. And the director of that docu film is going to join us at the bottom of the hour, Jason Sterman is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. To talk about what this doc film is all about and how much behind the scenes we're going to see the Dodgers in the Tokyo series and in fifteen minutes. You know, our last show on Monday night, we had a full board of calls of you telling us where you were for Game seven of the World Series and even where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off home run in the eighteenth inning of Game three. Well, it inspired so many people, even within the Dodger organization, and outside of Andrew Friedman, Dave Roberts and some members of the front office and players, there's one guy that's more inside than anybody, and that's the director of Dodgers Travel, Scott Akasaki, who was listening and wanted to share his perspective on the dodgers incredible seven game World Series win over the Blue Jays. So we got all that. Also, we have some Clayton Kershawn news. I'll share that with you in a moment, but I want to remind you that we will be broadcasting from Dodger Fest this Saturday, presented by Verizon. Are broadcast presented by Verizon from ten am to one o'clock. We are scheduled to have show Hey Otani on the show, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, Dave Roberts, so we will have your back to back World Series Championship Dodgers. Yes, Snailzilla will join us, and I'm not looking forward to that, considering he grew up a Seahawks fan, So we'll put up with snail Zilla on Saturday as well. The first Dodgers Cactus League game is coming up on February twenty first. Pitchers and catchers report in just two weeks, so it's coming fast. The first Dodgers Spring training game February twenty first in Tempe, Arizona against the Angels. We will have that right here on a five to seventy LA Sports and Opening Day. We talked about the Tokyo Series. That's where Opening Day was for the Dodgers last year two years ago. As you remember, it was in Seoul, Korea. For the first time in three years, it's at Dodgers Stadium March twenty sixth. The Dodgers are hosting the Arizona Diamondbacks. Speaking of the Tokyo Series and the Dodgers, Otani and Yamamoto, it was reported by Dylan Hernandez of the Now California Post that the Team Japan manager for the World Baseball Classic announced that both show Hey Otani and Yama Moto will be playing for Team Japan. The manager for Team Japan did not say whether or not Otani would pitch. He said that would be determined in spring training, and he did call Yamamoto team Japan's ACE. I have a message for the Team Japan manager. Find another ace. Yamamoto is the Dodgers ace. We don't need Team Japan, you know, running Yamamoto out there for six, seven, eight innings on short rest, and I would I would be led to believe. I believe this. It feels like Team Japan would be working in concert with the Dodgers, and the Dodgers I would hope would give Japan, and I hope Team Japan would listen to some of the guardrails for the Dodgers ace. You know, the World Baseball Classic is a nice novelty. It's not winning the World Series. I hate to break that to everybody that loves the World Baseball Classic. You can enjoy it. Yes, the stadiums are packed. Yes it's electric in certain matchups and for certain countries, like Japan. It means a lot. But Yamamoto has pitched more than any other pitcher in the last two years. I would not want him pitching too much for Team Japan. So hopefully cooler heads prevail in the World Baseball Classic. Managing of Yamamoto and Otani pitching, I'm not thrilled about that either. How about just let Otani hit. He's doing his service for Team Japan. He's showing his pride for Japan by being the dh How about that? Okay? Speaking of the World Baseball Classic, we know Clayton Kershaw is going to pitch for Team USA, and now you know, we've heard rumors the last few weeks that NBC is pursuing Kershaw to be a broadcaster for their new Sunday Night Baseball package. I thought it would be in the booth for the game. I feel like Kershaw's that type of guy. But it is being reported now by Front Office Sports that Kershaw and NBC are working on a deal, closing in on a deal. As the way it was described for Kershaw to be an in studio analyst, not being at the stadium, and the studio is somewhere, you know, just outside of New York City. From what I understand, Connecticut Ish that's a long ways away from LA and Dallas. But I guess Kershaw wants to dip his toe into broadcasting. I could have made it easy for him. I would have found I would have dusted off Tony Gwinn Junior's seat. You know, he could have chimed in. We could have worked something out with Jose Mota where you know, Kershaw's in the seat. But he wants to be a big TV star, So okay, you be that big TV star on NBC. He'll do great whether it's in the booth or in the studio. I actually believe that he would enjoy being at the stadium more than he'll be in the studio. And I remember Dan Patrick describing the way he had to get Rodney Harrison's energy up in the studio before the first Sunday night football game that was on NBC. Dan Patrick obviously knows what he's doing, and Rodney Harrison always used to the electricity of a football stadium feeding off the crowd. Well, in the studio, there is no crowd, but you have to match that energy of the stadium. Who's going to bring that out of Kershaw because he is always feeding off the energy of a crowd, whether it's at Dodger Stadium, whether it's in Toronto. You know, the adrenaline of being at the stadium is so different than being in a studio and trying to elevate the electricity intensity and reflect the feelings of what's happening at that stadium. So that's going to be a challenge for Kershaw and we'll see how he does. All right. Now that Kershaw is no longer on the Dodgers, I would venture to say Freddie Freeman is the Dodgers elder statesman. He's the guy that is going to continue the culture that Kershaw set. Leading by example. Freddy's been a big part of being vocal in hitters meetings and trying to urge his teammates to keep it simple. And Freddie is a big guy off the field as well. He's put together team dinners and really encouraged getting away from the field with your team and organizing those type of ventures outside of being together at the stadium. And Freddie's really come into his own as a Dodger and a leader over the course of the last three years. And Freddie was on Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins Six' to one to one podcast earlier this, offseason AND i saw a clip of him talking about hitting and the way guys in baseball now are so focused at looking at their swing instead of doing What Freddy freeman always. Does if you're at a game and you watch The dodger dugout when they're, hitting When Freddie freeman's not on deck or in the, Hole he's sitting right at the front of the dugout studying the, pitcher trying to figure out what he's, doing watching other left handed hitters at, bats how that picture is working that. Guy he doesn't even. Flinch he's not looking anywhere else except at that picture on the, mound not looking at an. iPad AND i thought this really resonated with me BECAUSE i know so many guys around baseball that believe that iPads actually work against hitters that are not watching the game instead looking at the iPad and. Themselves remember this was an issue for The dodgers two or three years, ago and they had a concerted effort amongst each other to put the iPads down and to watch the game. More here's What Freddy freeman was describing on the sixty one to one podcast from one of his big homers when The braves won The World series in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: One Jock peterson's leading off and he strikes out on a one two heater up and, away And i'm hitting third AND i come up literally two batters, LATER i get into a one to two count And i'm, like And i've obviously watched every, pitch And i'm, like you know, what maybe he just had success at. This i'm going to look for the heater up and, away ninety, six up and, way AND i hit it out to left, field and you, know he has a sixty two mo On oar curve, ball he has a, splitter he has, cutters and you, KNOW i just sold. Out AND i think those are the things that some people miss when they're on iPads slowing down their. Swing when like you just popped Up like let's just say you popped up a two ozd pitch and you went to left field and you come back and you're slowing, down you should know what you did, wrong, Right like you just popped up a, Heater LIKE i don't need to slow. Down if this is like what you're gonna be able to go and think like, this and, like so whatever your swing is that day is what you're swinging. Is you, know we're not gonna have our a swing all the, time so most of the time you're just.
Speaker 2: COMPETING i love It Freddie freeman preach that makes so much. Sense And freddie is a big. Believer AND i feel like with technology and guys so focused on their swing and going to see these hitting. Gurus And i'm sure if you have younger kids in high school or in eighth grade and they're on travel, ball you've hired a hitting, GURU i would say. DON'T i would say let your kid figure it out himself with the instruction of his coaches on his. Team And Freddie freeman is a big believer in keeping it. Simple and it doesn't get simpler than. That you, know like you, said most days you're not going to have your a. Swing figure it out and compete in that, box and you compete by being prepared before you step into the batter's. Box you're not going to be able to change things on the. Fly you've got to recognize how a pitcher is working your team that. Day And freddie is the epitome of actually zoning in on the pitcher that day and figuring it. Out and Actually otani is very much like. That you'll see him look at the, iPad but you'll watch him give scouting reports to other left handed hitters on the team and bring back a scouting. Report and the first guy that did that the best for The dodgers Since i've been covering, them Was Justin, turner and that that has. Continued eight six six, nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone. Number we Got dodger talk for you until eight o'clock tonight right here on an five SEVENTY La. Sports David vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here ON am five to SEVENTY La. Sports we Got dodger talk for you tomorrow. Night very good Chance i'll be making a road trip up. North Brad paisley has invited me back to his. House, no not the one In, nashville but the one in Central. California, yes we may Have dodger talk tomorrow night From Brad paisley's living room In Central. California so, uh we'll put to the Test. Sheldon, Caller, sheldon whether or not he really did Watch game seven Where Brad paisley at A Santa barbara bar tomorrow. Night eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone. Number The dodgers winning The World series had such a great effect on so many of, us including those that work closer to the team than. Anybody and we're joined right now out by one of those, people and that's The Dodgers director Of, Travel Scott. Akasaki, scott thanks a lot for calling. In appreciate, It thank, You.
Speaker 4: Dave honored to be, on and you, KNOW i appreciate you mentioning that you'll be doing the show tomorrow With Brad. Paisley Barack obama told me never to name, drop SO i really appreciate.
Speaker 2: That, well there might be some royalty on the show tomorrow night as. Well we'll see whether or Not brad, delivers SO i won't do. THAT i just you, know how many years has this been for you with The? Dodgers too?
Speaker 1: Long?
Speaker 4: Dave, well actually it's actually it's been a short twenty six years for. ME i, Started, YEAH i started In january of two thousand and it's been a great.
Speaker 2: Ride we've. Been we talked about this the other. Night it feels like The dodgers don't get enough credit for the Infrastructure Andrew freeman is built and also the character of players that they have brought. In, uh what can you say about the character of the group of players that found a way to avoid losing The World series on multiple, plays to be able to hang in there and win it in seven?
Speaker 4: Games you, Know, dave the the thing about you, know we talk about this about this a lot inside the, building and of course that's, culture right and the in the culture that's fostered By Dave, Roberts Andrew, Friedman Brandon, gomes our baseball leadership as well as from our. Owners and when you put all this together and you, know you you, say go, win, right and you're able to withstand some of those difficult, moments you, know like we did see in The World, series and like you AND i talked, about there were ABOUT i, mean who knows twenty five different inflection points where The World series could have gone a different. Way maybe that's why we think The World series was so awesome was because you could think back to every game had a critical moment where somebody did something to help The dodgers, Win and that to me was why The World series of twenty twenty five is so.
Speaker 2: Memorable you, know last, year in twenty twenty, FOUR i should, say it felt like it was a handful of guys that really carried The dodgers over the finish. Line this, year it was all twenty six guys that had a huge contribution without you, know key plays From Justin dean or you, know Even Hey Sun kim Racing Dave roberts Before game. Six it felt like everybody From robleski To shehan To dean had a hand in The dodgers winning this and without them they. Don't, Yes and you, KNOW.
Speaker 4: I think that's one of the WHEN i think back To, OCTOBER i really do think about the unsung hero and right and everybody of course Remembers Miguel rojas right in games six and six and. Seven but besides, that like you Mentioned robo And Will climb and of course our, superstars, right, uh you, know Show Hey, Yama Freddie, freeman you, Know Max Will. SMITH i, mean like you can name the all you can name the whole entire, roster, right and everybody. Contributed and one thing THAT i don't want to forget is the the part where you're in this biggest moment of your life and things aren't going your. Way people didn't put their head down and SAY whoae is? Me they kept in, It they kept, engaged they kept, focused and when their time, came they helped us. Win and you, know you, know hats off To Andy pajes for making an unbelievable catch at a time when he wasn't doing very well right and he was, benched but he went in there and he made this. Catch and you, know if he would have hung his head and, said, Oh i'm not in you, know this game Because i'm not hitting, well, well we would.
Speaker 2: Have lost without a. DOUBT i, mean he had his hoodie. On he was essentially benched to Have Miguel rojas start in game. Six In game seven and out of the, Blue Dave roberts, says, hey go out, there you're, right and you, know another guy Is Miguel, rojas who you know wasn't getting the opportunity early in The World series and finally got that chance In game six and had a huge play When keithy A hernandez made a you, know a short hop throw to. Him people forget about that play at second base and then what he did in the ninth inning with the bat and with the with the. GLOVE i, mean there's another guy that could, have you, know felt sorry for.
Speaker 4: Himself and don't forget the bare handed, catch the bare handed ground ball that he timed perfectly to throw a runner out at.
Speaker 1: FIRST i, mean you.
Speaker 4: Know and one of the things that you, Know, dave you're a.
Speaker 1: Dad i'm a.
Speaker 4: Dad one of the things That i've told my kids is This World series, is in many, ways there are many teaching points to. Life, right your life isn't gonna go great all the, time and so there's gonna be good points and there's gonna be bad. Points but to take an example of someone Like Miguel, rojas who wasn't playing hurt to get a chance in game, six to be the defensive star In game six and then the offensive star in game, seven you, know shows his. Professionalism shows that, everybody in no matter what stage of life they, are no matter if they're up or, down you might get your moment whatever that is and whatever In denver. Endeavor so you better be, ready you better be. Prepared and, so you, know hats off To miguel and what he was able to accomplish in as the kids say in games six to.
Speaker 2: Seven you, know, yeah my kids don't like me saying. That they said it ruins, it SO i try to stay. Away Scott, akasaki The dodgers director of, travel is our. Guest and nobody is closer to the team Than scott is. He he's, There he's in the trenches with them from the first day of spring training to the final out Of game. Seven and you're A dodger. Fan you grew up In la LIKE i, did and that's why we have a lot in common WHERE ucla fans And dodger. Fans did you ever believe you would see Another dodger pitcher do What Oral herscheizer did in THE, nlcs and that's come back the day after he pitched to pitch. Again And oral only had to get one batter In game four of THE, nlcs and eighty Eight yamamoto pitched more than one inning In game. Seven did you ever believe we would, see especially in today's load management, world that a pitcher would come back and do.
Speaker 4: That you, know one of the things that we talk about in the in the office is that in the, playoffs your superstars have to, superstar, right they have to take on they have to carry the, team, Right and you see that right now in THE, nfl right you see that in THE nba playoffs and with us our superstars. Superstarred and when you talk About, yamamoto you talk about Old. Hersheizer, YEAH i never thought somebody would do, what you, know would duplicate what oral did you know in nineteen eighty eight Or hirscheizer wasn't. Pitching god was, pitching you, Know and so WHEN i think of WHEN i think back to, THAT i don't know If god was Inside, yama but. Unbelievable you, know after he Pitched game, six you, know we were talking AND i, said, hey, like are you ready For game? Seven and as a joke he or not as a, joke but he was serious and he, says, No i'm, done Like i'm ready to start the off, Season Like i'm, done, Right but in the fourth inning Of game, seven this guy comes into the weight, room which is right next to the, dugout and he starts walking on the. Treadmill AND i happened to be in there at the, time AND i was, Like, oh here we. Go this is gonna be something. Crazy and it reminded me of When kershaw came in In washington to close out THE nlcs against The. Nationals, uh you, know just that's when you're your superstar.
Speaker 2: Superstar, yeah and he certainly, did and uh it Was, uh it was something to always. Remember we thought What Walker buehler did was incredible In game five of The World, series and Then yamamoto did something extraordinary THAT i don't believe we'll see again in our, Lifetime, SCOTT i really don't Unless yamamoto does it.
Speaker 4: Again, hey who, Knows, dave it'd be fun to, watch.
Speaker 2: Certainly all, right BEFORE i let you, go you Mentioned Clayton. Kershaw there are reports that he may be dipping his toe on the broadcast. World how do you Think kershaw will do as as an in studio. Analyst do you feel like that's in his blood or you think this is.
Speaker 1: EXPERIMENT i think he would be.
Speaker 4: Great you, know being With kersh these many, years he sees the game like no other person. Does you. Know it's it's actually fun to watch the football playoffs and to listen To Tom brady Or Troy, Aikman Tony romo and how they dissect and how they see the. Field Clayton kershaw is the same way, right he is going to give. You like all herscheizer does really provide a look at the game that is. Unmatched so if that's the path he, CHOOSES i don't know if he'll choose that. PATH i think everybody is in for a.
Speaker 2: TREAT i heard it was between broadcasting and becoming the New dodgers director of. Travel what what do you. THINK i think he leaned. Broadcasting you're.
Speaker 4: SAFE i think he could Do he could do the he could do the travel. Job he's certainly talented.
Speaker 2: Enough, Scott it's awesome to have you on the. Show you're a big sports, fan AND i know you're living out your dream doing what you've done with The dodgers the last twenty six years and now being such a big part of the golden age Of Dodger. Baseball the ride continues in a couple of, weeks AND i can't wait to get back on that ride with you and the rest of the. Organization look forward to seeing you in a couple of.
Speaker 1: Weeks thank, You.
Speaker 4: David i'm really looking forward to this year and to you, know for someone, who like you, said born and raised in la except for a couple of years living In, japan you, know this Is Los angeles is my, home and so to be work for the team that you grew up rooting. For to get out of your car and you, know go to the market or go to the gas station and See dodger hats, everywhere and to see parents of you, know my my kids friends Wearing dodger. Jackets it's just something that's awesome and just it's very such a warm feelings fills me with a lot of, pride and you, know to hats off to the, organization to the staff that work At Dodger stadium day in and day, out and to all the FANS i, mean like the the players feel the love and the. Energy this weekend we have our fan. FEST i know that's going to be heavily. Attended this is the golden era Of Dodger baseball AND i hope it continues for a very long.
Speaker 1: Time same.
Speaker 2: Here no matter what they try to, do this this group is not going to allow anything to get in the way of. Winning so look forward to. It, scott and thanks a lot for sharing your. Insights. Uh it's, uh it's special to hear from someone in your, Position so thank.
Speaker 4: You thanks for having me on to be.
Speaker 2: There he Goes Scott, akasaki The dodgers director Of, travel and, look everybody has a, story and that was a story from the inside of The dodgers'. Clubhouse and just really what he said is some of the takeaways That i'm sure you had as, well you, know being ready for your, moment whether you're a veteran Like Miguel, rojas a rookie that was going to be playing in The Mexican league Like Justin, dean or a guy Like Andy paez who struggled during the postseason to have your one moment and be ready for. It SO i loved what he had to. Say when we continue On Dodger, talk we are going to get more insight from a big time director who has put together a docu film on The dodgers trip To tokyo to begin their repeat championship. Season don't go anywhere More Dodger talk until eight o'clock right here on a five to SEVENTY La. Sports thanks again To Scott. AKASAKI i love that he got called up in the emotions of your stories On Monday night of where you were during The Dodgers World series Run game seven And game three And Freddie freeman's walk off home. Run we have Another dodger talk for you tomorrow, night and yes it will be from the grand Old opry, Himself Brad paisley's home In Central. California i'll be Taping Sports net LA's Access dodgers in the afternoon With Tim kats And John hartung and Then i'll be making the drive up To Santa barbara and Having Brad paisley on the. Show he'll be able to take your phone calls tomorrow. Night so should be a Good dodger talk show tomorrow night From Brad paisley's. Home remember it was a couple of years ago In nashville that we had the show from his bar on his farm In. Nashville so now we'll bring it To california coast to coast With Brad paisley who's a Huge dodger fan but was not able to make it To tokyo with The. Dodgers and for those of you that were not able to make it To, tokyo like most of you, weren't, obviously there is a brand new docu film that is going to be in your local Theaters february twenty third and twenty fourth only those are the only two days that The tokyo series documentary is going to be in theaters and you can buy tickets now out here In Willand, Hills Seemi, Valley Thousand. Oaks it will be showing at those. Theaters and we have the director joining us right, Now Jason. Sternmann, jason thanks a lot for coming. On appreciate it.
Speaker 1: It, Hey, david thank you for taking the time to have.
Speaker 2: Me so where did the idea of making a docu film and releasing it in theaters of The Dodgers tokyo series start to really formulating your brain and your? Vision you?
Speaker 1: Know it's. Interesting i've been lucky. Enough i've had a relationship with THE mlb and we've done some projects in the past, together AND i approached them in, about i want to, say Like october of last, year And i've had this thought of quite honestly from being A dodger, fan being born and raised IN la but over the last couple of, years especially watching The japanese players and Especially, otani there is just the way THAT i think they approached the, game even things as small as the way That, otani you, know he he tipped his hat to THE oosi to the posy, managers the way that he plays, peacemaker you, know in that pogreat game where he gets, Hit and there was just this interesting thing of, like where did these GUYS i come? From and why do they all seem to have this sort of different approach to the, Game and that was the entry point for the. Exploration i'm just asking a, question where did these guys come? From like we're lucky enough to see them when they're at their peak when they come, here but obviously they all start, somewhere you, know coming out Of, japan and we were lucky enough to i think hit the same timing as the startup last season where they were going to be playing the games In, tokyo and using that as kind of the entry point and the backdrop gave for a PERFECT i think time and place to explore that with this.
Speaker 2: Film how much access Did otani give you while you were filming this dock you?
Speaker 1: FILM i, mean the benefit that we had was we got the same access as every other person and member of the press who was able to be on the. Field and the thing that's interesting about this film when people get a chance to go see, it is it's really not about the play by play of the. Game it really looks at the exploration Of japanese baseball culture and knowing how that culture influences players Like otani And yamamoto And roki obviously for The, dodgers and in that game they were playing against the Cub still obviously they have showed him and all that and say A. Suzuki but we take a very very big lens to the baseball culture In. Japan we go and we explore little league In, Osaka we explore you know what a lot would Consider otani's number one, fan which is this amazing guy who runs a hair salon In, oshu which Is otani's, hometown and has spent his a good portion of his life basically collecting every every bit of memorabilia as he can From showhay's career To. Quine, honestly like we went to the bat factory in the middle of this of this valley in the middle of the country Where, mizuno you, know they still have the same sort of like master craftsman style of creating baseball. Bats so it's a look at the aspiration of how those things all influence the kind of, funnel if you, will all these things come down into why these why These japanese? PLAYERS i think one play the game way that they, do but also IT'S i think eye opening for us As americans who have created the sport and seeing how The japanese have in a way kind of turned it into their own.
Speaker 2: Version that's the voice of the director of the Docufilm homecoming The tokyo series that The dodgers And cubs participated in to kick off the twenty twenty four. Season Jason sternman is our, guest and like we mentioned, earlier this docu film of The Dodgers tokyo series is going to be in theaters just two Days february twenty third And february twenty. Fourth you can buy tickets right now At Fathom entertainment dot. Com AND i thought that's really, Interesting, jason to give us an idea of what the docu film is going to show. Us do you feel like we will have a greater appreciation of how Popular otani And yamamoto are and just how deeply Rooted otani specifically is and the culture of not Only japanese baseball but the country.
Speaker 1: ITSELF i think that's the, Hope but at the same, time also it's a little bit of like it's a little bit of a love letter to the. Game AND i think it's really interesting about seeing how different people can come together and play, it whether they speak the same. Language once they all do on the, field they all kind of know what their roles, are it's just how they all approach. It it was, INTERESTING i, Mean, david you were, there, so you, know even being able to see some of the exhibition games where The dodgers played against The Tokyo giants and The Haunting tigers From. Osaka like the fact that those games are even able to be, played and the way that the fans react to. IT i think IT'S i mean interesting where there were so Many american fans who got attempts to travel and we're in and we're in The Tokyo doom during those, games as well as also Local japanese who saw. There you, know they're to a certain, extent especially With otani their hero return home to go play in that. Stadium everyone kind of had the same sort of, feeling which is that this was something very, special but it also felt very very, familiar like it didn't require anyone needing to translate the rules of the.
Speaker 2: Game is there anything that really stood out to you the most when you were making this docu film that you weren't expecting to resonate with.
Speaker 1: You the thing that really stood out to me, was quite, honestly seeing the way That Little league is approached and. Taught AND i think for people especially who watch The japanese players as we see them now IN, MLB i think that there's a really nice correlation where you UNDERSTAND i think a little bit more about the way that it is ingrained in them at such a young age of the approach to the game and the way that they then carry the tools that are given to them through baseball extends way beyond the, field and a lot of kids who don't become professional baseball, players they still use the things that they've learned in life to be better members of. Society that to, me watching kids learn in the approach was rather blind gold and it really feels also like something that we also don't really necessarily have here in The states citvil the league where it feels very. Individualized, there everything is very much built around the idea of team and.
Speaker 2: That kind of feels like being In. Japan that's the culture of The japanese people and why that country and the people are so. Great it's not about, me it's about the greater good of the. Country and it feels like that baseball is just a microcosm of the way they live their. Life it's not just about, them it's about the country and about the next person to be respectful.
Speaker 1: To's that's exactly. Right and it's interesting BECAUSE i didn't realize it UNTIL i was, there AND i actually was watching batting practice for The, dodgers and every Time Agil rojas came up for batting, practice the entire like stadium and people who were watching batting practice would share for, him AND i didnk it was Pretty freeman's kind of like what's going? On AND i realized that WHEN i asked the. Question is Because miguel gave up his number To roki When roki joined the, team The japanese population saw that as such a grand, gesture and that goes really deeply to like the way that they see this kind of you, know the way you interact with with with your fellow citizens in a certain, way and so he held in such high regard because of that, gesture and that to me also is just like it felt like a window into the way The japanese approach and look at. Things but it's so interesting seeing it through the lens of.
Speaker 2: Baseball that is the voice Of Jason, sterman the director Of, homecoming The tokyo Series The dodgers And cubs and arct and started the twenty twenty four season In, Tokyo. Japan it's a docu film that will be in theaters for two days, Only february twenty third And february twenty. Fourth you can buy tickets now to your local theater where it's showing At Fathom entertainment dot. Com, now can you give us a sneak? PEEK i know a lot of it is not just about The dodgers And, cubs but as you, mentioned the culture of baseball across the. Country how many little leaguers try to Emulate otani's batting stance.
Speaker 1: More than, you more THAN i would have. Expected but at the same, time also it's it's been, INTERESTING i think seen the way That otani has influenced a way that kids In japan are able TO i think dream, bigger if that makes. Sense but Because otani's had such a huge impact on the accomplishments that he's. Had he has now very much given kids something to aspire. To but it's a direct example of someone who looks like, them who comes from where they come. From so the, EMULATION i think is the natural extension of that where they look and GO i want to be like him and to be like, HIM i want to play like.
Speaker 2: Him, NOW i know you want all of us to go to the theaters to see this docu. Film if we're not able to get to the theaters On february twenty third or twenty, fourth is there a chance we might see this on a streaming service down the.
Speaker 1: Line very, likely, yes at a to be an ounce, Date so that's also in, progress but obviously focusing on the ability of seeing it in. Theaters SO i think the nice thing about seeing something in theater is the same way of seeing something that, is you, know being at a baseball game or being any other sporting. Event there's a communal aspect to it that's. Nice but, ultimately if people aren't able to make it in the, future at some point down the, road, yeah ideally like there will be an opportunity to catch it at.
Speaker 2: HOME i, MEAN i can't think of a ander way to See otani outside of being at The Tokyo dome than to be at a movie theater watching this and just saying everything that you bring to. Life So i'm looking forward to bringing the, kids and you know there are classmates to see, this and IF i, Can't i'll be in spring. Training my wife will do. It i'll instruct her to go To Fathom entertainment Dot com to bring the. Kids how about, That, Jason.
Speaker 1: We'll have The it'll be in theaters In arizona's at the very. Least, also maybe you can catch it.
Speaker 2: There, hey that's. True that's. True, WELL i appreciate, That, jason and look forward to seeing you at the premiere On saturday. Night and thank you for coming, on and congratulations on bringing something to life That i'm sure a lot of us had no idea what how deeply rooted baseball is and the effects it's had on not only us in The United states With otani And, yamamoto but just what it means to everybody in that. Country so thank you for coming.
Speaker 1: On of, course thank you for having. ME i appreciate.
Speaker 2: It there he Goes Jason, sternman the director Of, homecoming The tokyo. Series this is a really cool idea for a, docufilm And i'm. Serious i'm looking forward to having my kids go see this docufilm in Theaters february twenty third and twenty. Fourth and it's not just about, Baseball so if your kid doesn't love baseball as much as we, do it sounds like it's more than just about. Baseball it's more about showing what it's like in the culture and how deeply rooted it is in the. CULTURE i kind of. WAS i had my periphery not very zoomed out on what this docufilm was going to. Be So i'm happy that we Had jason on BECAUSE i thought it was just going to be a docufilm on what was taking place at The Tokyo dome was happening maybe in the, clubhouse BUT i was pleasantly surprised to hear that it's more about what it's like with the little, leaguers with the culture out there In. Japan SO i think it's a docufilm for. Everybody AND i was invited to the premiere On saturday night After Dodger, fest And i'm looking forward to being out there and seeing what this is all, about and then you, KNOW i am not going To i'll come. Clean i'll be In arizona while my family's back In Los. Angeles So i'm hoping they can get to the theaters here IN la to see this docufilm of The tokyo, series because it seems like it's worthwhile for, everybody all, Right LIKE i, Said Dodger fest is coming up This. Saturday we are going to Broadcast live presented By verizon From Dodger stadium from ten am to one o'clock. Show Hey otani is scheduled to join us at about twelve forty. Five Mookie, Bets Freddie, Freeman Dave, Roberts they're all going to join us as, well and it should be a fun time On. Saturday we hope to see you out. THERE i Guess i'm going to be positioned in The dodger. Bullpen they want to cage me away from everybody. Else they don't want me associating or socializing with. Anybody they want me in The dodger bullpen where they'll lock the gates and not let me. Out so that's fine as long as the players find their way To Dodger talk from ten am to one. O'clock that's. Fine you, Know i'm used to being treated that. Way it's all. GOOD i went from center stage to a closet last year to now a, bullpen So i'm all. In we make the best out of it out of it no matter. What so looking forward To Dodger talk from ten am to one o'clock tomorrow From Dodger. Fest the First dodger spring training, game LIKE i, mentioned Is february twenty, first and being just two weeks away from pitchers and, catchers it's shocking so many good players are still free, agents Including Zach gallon of The Arizona, diamondbacks who has the qualifying offer attached to, him and according to our Friend Ken, rosenthal that has been an issue For gallon to sign with the team because a lot of teams out there don't want to give up a draft pick to Sign Zach. Gallen, look baseball is not THE nfl OR. Nba you have a greater chance at missing at a player in the first or second round of the baseball. Draft SO i still don't understand when you have a proven commodity and a guy that's a better second half pitcher than he is a first half pitcher Like Zach, gallan who pitches in his home, ballpark which is a hitters. Ballpark why wouldn't you care about signing a guy if you really care about? Winning all these teams that are pointing the finger at The, dodgers if you really care about, winning why wouldn't you give up a long shot of a draft pick for a proven major League all star pitcher In Zach. Gallon that's shocking to. Me and, LOOK i know there's a lot of questions about From burvaldez's, character but at some point he's got to realize that he may not be getting that multi year contract that he thought he would because his reputation's out there and it obviously is affecting. Him you know that him throwing and crossing up his catcher on purpose last, Year i'm sure is not a one time, thing and my understanding talking to people that know from inside That astros, clubhouse it was a symptom of other issues that that team had to deal with with From. Bervaldez, so you, know a guy with his type of talent that's a big game pitcher is still a free. Agent says a lot about what has been reported out there about teams questions about how good of a teammate is. He but at the end of the, day he's going to sign with, somebody and if he can pitch as well as he has for The, astros he's worth the gamble for certain. Teams and how about, this here's another pitcher that nobody is talking about that is a proven big game. Pitcher, yes maybe his better days are behind, him but he pitched really well with The phillies after The Red sox let him go for. Nothing, yeah you know Who i'm talking, About Walker. Buehler Walker buehler is a free. Agent how is he still a free? Agent you're telling me no team out there Needs Walker. BUEHLER i wouldn't be surprised if he signed within THE. Nls you, know The padres are a team that needs to take gambles on. GUYS i wouldn't be surprised if The padres are Eyeing Walker bueller and the whole You darvish retirement. THING i know you's an outstanding, guy but you know everybody was looking at him sideways that he was gonna leave as much money on the table as he was talking about leaving if he, Retired SO i keep my eye On Walker bueller and The. Padres that seems to be a good. Match all, right that'll do it for us On Dodger talk. Tonight we'll be back with you. Tomorrow, Hey Brad paisley invited us to his house tomorrow in Central. California we'll Have Dodger talk as of, now live From Brad Paisley's West coast. House Big dodger, fan taking your phone calls and you never know what kind of fancy Friends Brad paisley has coming, Over so you want to tune in tomorrow night at seven. O'clock thanks To Ronnie foscio for all his. Help thanks To Jason, sternman the director of The tokyo, series for joining us and also The dodgers director Of Team, Travel Scott akasaki sharing his memories of The Dodgers World series. Run in case you missed any of the, show you know where to find it The iHeartRadio. App you can STREAM am five SEVENTY La Sports live twenty four to, seven and you can follow me on social media On instagram at Officially vassa and on x at The Real UNDERSCORE. Dv because there are so many imitators more than. Ever these, Days Fox Sports radio is. Next see ya