Speaker 1: The Dodgers and Marlins are wrapping up this three game series. The Dodgers wrapping up thirteen in a row, and we're joining right now by three time World Series champion America's catcher himself.
Speaker 2: Will Smith.
Speaker 1: Will thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, nice and early this morning.
Speaker 1: I'm so lucky that you actually made it into the parking lot. It's a struggle for even the players to get in on an early day.
Speaker 3: I know I was stuck behind fifty buses this morning.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. Will.
Speaker 1: You had to miss a couple of games over the weekend with a stiffness in your back. How much is that just getting back into the normal routine of a season. Is it something that you're going to have to manage the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. Yeah, just stiffened up that first game against Chicago. We were just trying to play it smart, not letting it worse, trying to take you a couple of days just to get it right. Still feel a little bit, but you know, good enough to play last time, obviously good enough to play this morning if I needed to.
Speaker 2: But should be back in there in product.
Speaker 1: When you look at the beginning of this season.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 1: You did go play in the World Baseball Classic. There's a lot of guys that played in that tournament that didn't get a lot of at bats. Seems like you're starting to get a rhythm at the plate. Did not getting as many at bats during that tournament. Do you think it affected some guys.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it could have back to some guys.
Speaker 3: I know some guys were talking about that, you know, not not worried about it, but making sure they got at bats once they got back to screen training after it. For me, I feel like I've got plenty of bats. I was ready to go. Yeah, I know, haven't been great, say a role, not being bad, but just kind of surviving just one of those months for me. I mean, that's more to some mechanical stuff swing wise, just cleaning some things up as opposed to timing or anything like that. But that's hard to op continue to work, and you know.
Speaker 1: On hitch Com the Dodgers have preached having this overarching big picture while also trying to win each and every day. At this stage of your career, it's hard to believe that you broke in in twenty nineteen. But how do you manage at this stage of your career trying to be ready every day but also understanding it's about October two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you know.
Speaker 3: I kind of let I let Doc in the front office handle more so.
Speaker 1: He invited me to sit down key key hernandez.
Speaker 2: Geez.
Speaker 3: No for me, I let the you know, doc handle that big picture stuff. When he approaches me, it comes up. I usually have to agree with them, just because you know, he's thinking about everything.
Speaker 2: But now I'm going one day at a time. I want to be on the every day. I want to try to win every game. That's our job, and kind of let them handle that part. Have you.
Speaker 1: I know you're a guy that once the season was over, you didn't take any victory labs. That's just who you are. But I don't feel like people appreciate the fact that you caught every single inning of the World Series, including eighteen innings. How long did it take you during the offseason to recover through all that?
Speaker 3: A while, I was pretty sore for a good month or so, you know, starting to work out or definitely didn't have my legs under me.
Speaker 2: But this is part of it, It's part of it.
Speaker 3: It's all worth it. I celebrated a little bit. Yeah, I wasn't not taking laughs, but I had a good time.
Speaker 1: Did you just keep it tight circle with the Smith family?
Speaker 3: No, I was saying out the guys. I just don't plaster all over social media. I just keep it to myself.
Speaker 1: Nobody's asked you this. So you hit the go ahead, eventual winning home run in Game seven last year, What did you keep from that moment? Do you have the baseball? Do you have the bat that you hit the home run with?
Speaker 3: I wish I honestly don't know where the bat went. I'm sure it got authenticated, but I don't remember which one it was or anything like that. But no, I just got just the memories, that's all.
Speaker 1: I've got pretty good memories for Will Smith and the Dodgers. Here here's something else that I wonder if you ever, like have a chance to it back and reflect on the fact that you're catching one of, if not the greatest player in the history of the game, like last night in Otani. What's it like catching him now since he's back to being a full time pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's fun. Obviously, he's the best player ever. You know, he's super talented, goes out there every day, competes, gives it everything he's got. You just got a good feel for the game, you know, last night we had a good feel what they're trying to do or just counterating it, and he's out there just executing. But uh no, we get along great. That he's fun to work with.
Speaker 1: Has he ever opened your eyes to something now that he's pitching to maybe point out some of the nuances of attacking hitters or the game itself. As far as the dialogue you have with each other, yeah.
Speaker 2: All the time. I think all the pitchers do that. You know.
Speaker 3: If I see something, I tell them. If they see something, they tell me, And it's just a conversation. You know, what we're seeing, how they're trying to attack those rotationally aggressive or where they're looking, you know, whatever they're trying to do. Are they in a team team approach or not a team approach?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes the picture's wrong. Sometimes we're both right or both wrong, and then that's when Mark's got to.
Speaker 2: Step in or something.
Speaker 3: But no, I think I think it's just a conversation. It's good we trust each other. I think all the pictures pretty much, trust me. So it's been good.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time. We'll appreciate it. I'll break the news to you now. I'm staying back from this road trip, so I hope that you're able to navigate life without me.
Speaker 2: I think we'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks a lot, Thanks Will.
Speaker 2: Thanks, there he goes.
Speaker 1: Will Smith has been our guest. He'll receive a gift card to Capitol Grill. Mother's Day is coming up. You want to make your reservation now at one of the many Capitol Grill locations, especially Burbank. We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim