Speaker 1: Eight eleven here on the Morning show on seven hundred WLW. We do this every single Thursday at this time we get together. You hear him on better than two hundred and seventy five stations syndicated nationwide, and we're happy that his home base is right here in the Buckeye State and Cincinnati, Ohio. Talking about our friend Gary Sullivan. Happy New Year, my friend.
Speaker 2: Well, happy New Year to you. Tom. How you doing doing great? How about you? I'm doing really really well.
Speaker 1: I hope your holiday went well.
Speaker 2: It went great. Do you have a lot of family time?
Speaker 1: I sure did, and it was a fantastic Hope you did too, Yep, sure did. Okay, we've been talking and a lot of people talk all the time about New Year's resolutions, right, and we were talking the other day that seventy nine percent of those has to do with people getting in better physical shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, A lot about health right now, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: But look, there's also some New Year's resolutions you can have with your home and talk about regularly. There is no bigger investment for most of us out there than what we invest in our homes, and so you want to keep them in tip top shape. Let's start with the most basic thing we need in life besides air, and that would be water.
Speaker 3: Well, that ties into the health thing also, tom is you know in a lot of parts and it's been in the news over the years, you know, a number of years back with flint, Michigan and everything. How safe is our water? And I want to say upfront, some of the most safe water in the United States is right here in the Great six sinety area. It's wonderful water, but it's very hard water. Lots of limestone, you know, limestone's good for racehorses and bourbon.
Speaker 2: That's so good for our home.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you're right about that. Okay. We hear all the time about water softeners, right, and there are some that you salt, there are some that don't.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Did you walk us through sort of the differences if you're thinking about a water softener here in twenty twenty six, yep.
Speaker 3: So there's three water quality products out there. There's salt free water softeners. You may have heard it advertised. That's very appealing to somebody that doesn't want to carry fifty pounds bags of salt down into the basement.
Speaker 1: Which I do all the time.
Speaker 3: So do I And also there's parts of the country now that have brine restrictions. In other words, that salt flushes out the system, okay when it collects hard water deposits, and that brine goes down into the sewerage system which goes into the waterways. And there's some people different parts of the country now I have some brain restrictions. So that's one and I'll explain the difference between the two. And the other one is the one you and I are used to, the water softener that you put the salt in the big salt tube.
Speaker 2: And away you go. Now, the whole thing what a water softener is is it takes.
Speaker 3: Out or eliminates hard water that's the minerals in the water. So the salt free is not really a water softener, so it's not really taking out hard water deposits. What it's doing is the sult free softeners actually removed the They change the molecular structure of the minerals in the water, which allows it to pass.
Speaker 2: Through you know, your water heater, your shower and everything.
Speaker 3: And what they've done is they've charged the hard water particles so that it does not stick on metal surfaces. The salt free or that's the salt free, the salt type. It starts kind of collecting those, Okay, it's not really charging them. So when you put the salt in there, it's removing the hard ware deposits. It's really the best soft water. It's actually giving you soft water, good for your skin, good for your clothes, good for your water here, good for your showers. It's it's soft water. It's removing it, and then the salt flushes it out.
Speaker 2: Of the system.
Speaker 3: Okay, a lot of people when they get salt in a system, they're they're they're they're afraid that they're going to be ingesting salt. It's not that's going down the i'll say sewer, septic whatever. It's kind of removing it. It allows the soap to lather better. It really is eliminating the hard water. And again that's salt free. It's just charging the particles in there. It's keeping the hard water from sticking on glass, on metal. It's just allowing that hard water to not adhere to something in your plumbing system. It's going right down the drain, but you don't get the benefits of the i'll say, good.
Speaker 2: For your skin, good for your clothes, your hair. Yeah, that type of thing. So that's the two main differences.
Speaker 3: Then there's a third one and it's not a water softener, and that's a product. A lot of people get very confused. They think, well, water softener is really bringing up the quality of water, and it is from a hardness standpoint.
Speaker 2: But a reverse osmosis, I don't know if you have one of those in your home or not.
Speaker 3: Those are usually point of use, like underneath the kitchen sink or in the bathroom. And what it does is a company will come and they will test for chemicals in your water. Like I said, in the Cincinnati area, we got pretty good water. But you may be surprised. There may be maybe you're someone that doesn't want fluoride in your water. Maybe in olders areas you have a lot of lead pipes that will test for lead. You know, you're receiving good water, but then as it goes through an old plumbing system, by the time you drink it, it's not so good. So they'll test for lead, they'll test for fluoride, they'll test for chlorine chlorine, And that's what a reverse osmosis is. It goes through like three if you install one, it'll go through like three sets of filter and it'll actually filter out those different chemicals.
Speaker 2: That are in your water.
Speaker 3: So that's totally different from the water softener. So there's really two that you need to pay attention to. One is the water softener that's for hardness, like over in the Milford area.
Speaker 2: Very very hard water.
Speaker 3: A lot of heating elements go out because of the hard water, and probably a lot of showers don't look so.
Speaker 2: Good because of the hard water.
Speaker 3: But get your water tested and just see how hard it is, and when you're there, do a test on the actual chemicals in the water, and then you can make a decision if you want to do one nune or both of them.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like, correct me if I'm wrong here, But it sounds like if you're really interested in the healthiest possible water just in one particular area, and you're talking about this reverse osmosis, that would really be the focal point. It sounds like, if I hear what you're saying, where you might clean food and all those kinds of things would be in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Right right, I would say probably ninety percent of them are put right on the kitchen. Some of them have to have another spout through a granite countertop. Yeah, a lot of people don't like doing. I think it was Culligan about seven eight years ago. They came up with a system where it's bluetooth. There's a switch and it literally shuts the water supply going straight up from the pipes and it sends it through the osmosis system and out the spout.
Speaker 2: Bottom line there, not to confuse anybody, is you don't have to drill through the countertop. Okay, so that, but.
Speaker 3: The kitchen areas certainly tom where you want to put it, you know, And quite honestly, it's just like a breed a water filtering system on steroids.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I want to get back to something you said a minute ago about some of the stuff that would go into say the sewage and then into some waterways. Most people are on some kind of sewage system. There are some of us who are septic. You touched on that for a minute. If you are someone who has a septic system, does this stuff mess that up?
Speaker 2: Well, it's so diluted, I would say no.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not really a reason to totally walk away from the salt type water softeners. But I also want to say it depends on how much water you actually use. And again that's why it's really good to work with somebody to do those studies. Like I was in a home depot the other day and they got a home water softener for a thousand bucks on the shelf.
Speaker 2: Install it yourself, but I.
Speaker 3: Really recommend working with a plumber or a professional where they can really give you what's best for you. I think that's what I want to give everybody a shout out is let's do it right. Let's address all the needs. Let's address the chemicals, Let's address the minerals. Let's address how much water you're using. Let's dress how.
Speaker 2: Long that water softener is going to last.
Speaker 3: I've had both in my home and the ones over the shelf. You're probably gonna get about seven years out of just by the mechanics of it.
Speaker 2: And maybe your better brands.
Speaker 3: You might get fifteen twenty years out of it, right, and they're probably double the price. But I'll tell you when I switched mine out, and this has probably been about eight years ago, now, I could instantly.
Speaker 2: Tell the difference. There's no doubt there was a pig difference.
Speaker 3: So really, I think the step number one is if you're always complaining that it's so hard to clean the shower, there's water deposits, there's water spots on the glasses, on the shower doors, on this that get the water tested. It doesn't it doesn't cost you anything. Just let's find out what's in the water. And especially if you have you know, you were talking like or I was talking about over and over in the Milford area, right, very hard water. But there's also some older century type palms, and I don't know what type of service line of water you have coming into that home.
Speaker 2: I don't know what kind of pipes you have in that home.
Speaker 3: And if there are lead pipes, and there's still plenty around, you may have some lead in those pipes, not coming from the municipality, but coming from your own home exactly. So let's find out what's in the water. It doesn't mean everybody has to have one. We were talking about New Year's resolution and healthy water.
Speaker 2: There it is. Let's find out what's in the water. Let's do that. Let's find out what's in the water and take some action. If it's bad news, it's great stuff.
Speaker 1: Gary, you are the best my friend again, Happy New Year and thank you for your expertise. This is great stuff.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tom. Look forward to next week.
Speaker 1: Okay, buddy Gary Sullivan. You can hear him on fifty five KRC Saturday and Sundays from nine until noon and syndicated nationally on nearly three hundred radio stations across America