Speaker 1: For the back to back world champions of baseball. One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball. Immortality. is within their reach.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: And while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this is because they can.
Speaker 2: They print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers. This can't continue.
Speaker 2: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 5: It's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame host of the world champion L.A. Dodgers, Tim Cates.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and good morning.
Speaker 6: Welcome in to Morongo casino Dodgers on deck on this Sunday, August the 30th, as your back-to-back world series champion, Los Angeles Dodgers are in Detroit for the rubber game of this three game series against the tigers. Rain is happening right now at Comerica field, but we expect this game to happen today in Detroit as the Dodgers are Look to wrap up this six-game East Coast road trip, which didn't start off well in Atlanta after getting swept by the Braves. Dodgers bounced back with a win on Friday, but tough loss yesterday. Today, the rubber game of this three-game set before they return home for a big homestand. Dodgers 81-55 on this season, first place atop.
Speaker 2: The NL West. They got a nine-game lead in the division.
Speaker 6: However, in the National League race, they're now four games back in Milwaukee for the top spot in the NL, and they're also now tied with Atlanta. for the number two spot in the National League. Today, Tyler Glass now on the mound. First pitch coming up at 1040. Coming up over the next 60 minutes here on Morago Casino, Dodgers on deck. You're going to hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. We'll dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. David Vasse is going to go high and tight coming up in about 45 minutes. We got your Dodgers magical moment. We'll hear from Charlie Steiner shortly. We'll visit with Kirsten Watson in just a few minutes. We'll head out to the Galpin Ford broadcast booth with Steven Nelson and Rick Monday. Well, yesterday in Detroit, it was all about Snellzilla.
Speaker 2: Blake Snell on the.
Speaker 6: Mound yesterday as the Dodgers looked to get back-to-back wins in Detroit. Snell would strike out 10 over five innings, allow just one run on three hits, went toe-to-toe with Cater Montero, the young pitcher for the Detroit Tigers. Blake Snell gave up, came in the third, a walk to bias. He took second on Max Muncy's sacrifice, but mishap then scored on a Glaber Torres double as the Tigers took a one, nothing lead Dodgers offense gets runners on base, but the problem has been for the last month, driving those runners in yesterday in the sixth inning, the Dodgers again with traffic on the base, Alec Thomas let up the six with the double took third on showy Otani is ground out that brought up Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: Montero's 0-1. Freeman pulls it into right field. This will tie the game. Just threw the bat head out there against the changeup and got the job done to reset the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: We're even at one.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers, a feel-good moment. And boy, they've not had too many of those of recent times. So that big leadoff double by Thomas. They did go to third on the ground out by Otani. And then for Freeman, picks it up.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman, thank you very much. RBI single.
Speaker 6: That tied the game at one, resetting everything for Blake Snell. Mookie Betts not done in the sixth inning. A single to left. Runners on first and second after a pitching change. Max Muncy walked. Dodgers had a golden opportunity with the bases loaded and one out. Well, what have they been doing lately? Hitting in to double plays. And that's what Tommy Edmond did to end the sixth inning. The score remained tied going to the ninth. The Dodgers in the top half of the ninth inning got a one-out single from Tommy Edmond, but could not get that run across. Kimmy Jansen came in to close out the top half of the ninth inning. Got Teoscar Hernandez to fly out. Bottom of the ninth belonged to Jack Dreyer. Gave up a leadoff double. Sacked bunt. Intentional walk.
Speaker 2: Then a walk. Loaded the bases with one out.
Speaker 3: Can Dreyer get it to extras?
Speaker 2: They're loaded for Detroit.
Speaker 7: One out.
Speaker 3: And now a 1-2 pitch.
Speaker 8: McGonigal.
Speaker 3: Flies it in the air left center field. That's the ball game. As it drops onto the warning track, one hops over the wall. Kevin McGonigal with a walk off hit and the tigers beat the Dodgers to one in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Speaker 6: Jack Dreier gives up the single bounced off the warning track officially ruled a single, but the running reading run comes in. Thanks to Kevin McConigal in the bottom half of the ninth inning tigers walk off the Dodgers yesterday by a final of 2-1. Jack Dreyer gets tagged with the loss after Blake Snell went five innings, allowed one run on three hits, struck out 10 along the way through 99 pitches. The win goes to former Dodger Kenley Jansen, who pitched a third of an inning in the ninth. With the win, the Tigers now 63-72. The Dodgers fall to 81-55 as today they wrap up this three-game series in the Motor City. It's the rubber game against Detroit, and it's Tyler Glass now on the mound in the series finale. With more, let's head out to the Galvin Ford broadcast booth as we welcome in Stephen Nelson and Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 3: All right, TC, getaway day for the Dodgers, but we look out here on Comerica Park, Mo, and we see a tarp on the field. A little storm blew through downtown Detroit and surrounding areas early on this Sunday. The Dodgers and Tigers, you know, maybe will start in a little bit of a delay, but Whenever the game does start, the Dodgers' task is simple. Just win a ball game, Dave Roberts said. Did not want to think about it. He said, I don't know who we're playing on Tuesday. I just focus on winning a series today as they continue this string of one-run games.
Speaker 4: Well, and too many of them. I mean, you start to look at what this Dodger ball club has done or has not done. I mean, they've only scored three runs in the last 29 innings, and that's got to change. And on this road trip, one and four. And you start to look at the fact is that, yes, I mean, seven of the last eight games have been decided by a single run. Oh, they've been close, but not close enough. And the other part, too, is, you know, since the All-Star break, the Dodgers have not been scoring a lot of runs. You know, they were in the top two before the break. And since the All-Star break, they're tied for 19th in Major League Baseball, along with Cleveland. That's got to change. And I think the other part, too, is, and we're kind of going through old stomping grounds, what Dave Roberts is talking about. Pitch selection, in particular early in the counts, has not been really the bread and butter of a ball club that has had great success in being selective in pitches in the past.
Speaker 3: The pitching matchup today from Vervaldez, veteran left-hander, longtime Houston Astro, will start for Detroit. Tyler Glasnell will go for the Dodgers. Again, there was talk about Otani potentially. Returning the mound here in Detroit, that is not the case and not likely to see him on Tuesday either at home. But anyways, to get it back to the offense, because that is the biggest talking point for this team. That is the biggest concern for this team, quote-unquote, as we sit here the final day of the month of August. And I guess, Mo, when you've been scuffling or been a part of teams that collectively couldn't get it together, is it as simple as just one guy coming through with one big swing or... I guess, how do you write a ship that has been going the wrong direction for this squad for the last two months?
Speaker 4: You hear from time to time is that an individual player can carry a team for a short period of time. This is an area that really from top to bottom, the Dodgers have to do it collectively and not to put the onus on just the outfield, but the outfield numbers. How about this? The outfield numbers on this road trip collectively hitting 212. They've knocked in two runs and they've hit 154 with runners in scoring position. I mean, The little things, you know, taking little chunks instead of trying to hit the ball 900 feet. The other part, too, is the Dodgers have not helped themselves. And go back to yesterday's ballgame, another ground ball double play took them out of inning. That's 111 twin killings that they've hit into this year. That's got to change.
Speaker 3: Another thing Dave Roberts said today was that this feels eerily, to use Doc's word, eerily similar to to what happened last year. And if you've been listening to us on the radio, we have mentioned this numerous times throughout this summer swoon. But last year, July 4th through September 6th, the Dodgers were 22-32. They were 10 games below. 500 for a two-month stretch. It was the fourth worst team in baseball for that period of time. And then in September, something clicked. They turned it on, won 15 of the last 20, en route to winning a second straight World Series championship. Dave says it feels eerily similar. Now the Dodgers would love to have similar results to turn things around in September and win another world championship. But that's, Off in the future, right in front of us, Game 3, the rubber game for the Dodgers and Tigers at Comerica Park.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Nelly.
Speaker 6: As we count you down to first pitch on this Sunday, Dodger fans, get that game day meal on.
Speaker 2: Shakey's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 6: Order your Shakey's Pizza, Chicken, and Mojo's right now at Shakey's.com. Coming up here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We're going to hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. That's coming up in about 10 minutes. David Vassie joins us throughout the hour. He goes one-on-one with Dodger reliever, Seth Halverson. We've got the latest injury news. You've got your Dodgers magical moment. Charlie Steiner stops by. Up next, your Otani Rewind. And we'll visit with Sports in LA's Kirsten Watson. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Tigers on this Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Case. This is the back-to-back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. What a home run! On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Tigers from Detroit. Tyler Glass now on the mound in this series finale.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani Rewind.
Speaker 3: Montero comes home. Otani is jammed. Flair beyond the third baseman, and it drops in for a hit. Opposite field bloop on a jam shot for Shohei. The Dodgers' first hit of the ballgame.
Speaker 2: Shohei Ohtani, he'll take it. A base hit. Get jammed.
Speaker 6: Goes to left field with it. Goes one for four yesterday with the strikeout. Shohei Ohtani not pitching today.
Speaker 2: Tyler Glass now is on the mound.
Speaker 6: Shohei hitting. 283 on the season. Now a. 383 on base percentage as the Dodgers yesterday came up short to the Tigers 2-1.
Speaker 1: This is Kirsten's Corner with Kirsten Watson.
Speaker 6: Hey, Kirsten now joins us from Detroit, brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of that old car. Donate today, your car can be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at carsforkids.org. That's Cars with a K. The finale of this road trip, final game of this three-game series, a rubber game against the Tigers.
Speaker 2: No Shohei Otani on the mound.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the good news, though, is that he is still going to be hitting, so he's still at the plate and Dave Roberts has shared that even while they're working through this pitching plan, he's going to remain in the game as the DH. But ultimately, he threw another bullpen while we were here in Detroit and As much as, you know, he came out of the bullpen fine, his body is just not recovering like they would like it to. So whether it's the knee, the arm, just full body, not 100%. So they're still working through that. And ultimately, Dave Roberts said if there was any pitcher that was kind of feeling like this, he would not have them start. So they have decided that he's not going to be on the mound today. Of course, in the plan was always Tyler Glass now. So whether Tyler was going to come out behind Shohei Otani, or take down just their traditional start. That is the plan for Tyler. He is on regular rest, but they feel really good as to kind of where he's at. Not going to put him on a leash or pitch counter or anything. They would like for him to get through five because there are a couple guys that are going to be down in the bullpen. But for Shohei, just quickly going back to him, Dave Roberts was saying today that When the team gets back to Los Angeles, they'll have a better idea as to what the pitching plan is going to look like for him. They do still expect him to get back off the mound and to be in a big league game to close out this regular season and just hopefully get as much as they can from him. But they are also kind of trying to figure out, you know, where is he more valuable or what is the need for the team right now? If you look at the offense, it is struggling. So does it make more sense just to have him DH the rest of the year and maybe kind of put the pitching on pause for now? So there's a lot of things that are kind of looking at the pros and cons. But ultimately, like I said, when the team gets back to L.A., they'll have a better idea as to just what the pitching plan is going to be if there is one for Shohei.
Speaker 6: Well, no Shohei means Tyler Glass now, who was going to pitch either way today, gets the start.
Speaker 2: We'll see how long he goes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he's going to be on a regular rest today. And this is honestly something we might be seeing for the rotation just in general as they are dealing with that injury to Rogi Sasaki. Obviously with Shohei not necessarily starting his build up. So for Tyler today, Dave Roberts said that when he was on his rehab assignment, he was on regular rest in a five man rotation. So they feel really good as to where he is at. The last one was technically deemed as a bit of a shorter outing. So as long as there's hope, they really just want him to get through five. If he can get a little bit deeper, be efficient, that will be ideal. But if he can get through five, protect some arms in the bullpen, that is really the hope. But he's been really good, whether it's been while he was on his rehab assignment, since he has returned. So just kind of continuing to build on that is the focus for Tyler.
Speaker 2: Let's hope we can give him a good outing. Let's hope the Dodgers offense can get something going today.
Speaker 6: Kirsten, we appreciate it. We'll check in with you after the game. Still to come here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We'll dive deeper into today's pitching matchup. David Vasse goes high and tight with Dodger reliever Seth Halverson. Up next, though, we'll get you an injury report, and we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. His thoughts going into this final game of the road trip. Dodgers and Tigers from Detroit. I'm Tim Cates. This is the back-to-back World Series champion, Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck continues on this Sunday morning as we lead you up to Dodgers and the Tigers. Final game of this series. Final game of the six-game road trip. Morongo Casino Resort and Spa. A grand slam for good times.
Speaker 2: Tyler Glass now from Vervaldez. The pitchy matchup from Detroit.
Speaker 1: This is the L.A. Dodgers. Injury Report.
Speaker 6: Presented by UCLA Health, the official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Will Klein on the I.L. with the neck inflammation. He's in AAA Oklahoma City. Yesterday, he had a two-for-four day at the plate for the Comets. Roki Sasaki on the I.L. with the blister on the middle finger. Eddie Pajas on the injured list with the fractured left hand. Edwin Diaz on the I.L. with the neck inflammation. Justin Robleski is back in AAA Oklahoma City. Dalton Rushing on the I.L. with the elbow injury. Blake Trinan working his way back. from right elbow inflammation. He's in AAA Oklahoma city. Will Klein also said he's feeling better and hopes to get back some point here in 2026.
Speaker 2: We'll see. All right, let's head back out to Detroit. Let's get the pregame thoughts of the Dodger skipper. Anything else for Dave?
Speaker 7: Dave, do you think questions for Dave?
Speaker 1: Dave, can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in the dugout with Dave Roberts?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that, um, You know, we've done, he's pitched on regular rest, you know, on his, you know, comeback. I really don't have a particular number. I think that we have a couple guys that we're going to stay away from today. But I think for me, it's, you know, if he's doing well, just kind of watch him and, you know, talk to Mark. But, yeah, ideally, you know, we've got to get him through five and kind of see from there.
Speaker 9: With the weather today, are there any concerns of a start-stop or even just potential delay?
Speaker 10: There might be a delay. This rain sort of came from nowhere. I know that it should dissipate as we get closer to game time. So, you know, hope to start on time, potentially a little bit of a delay. And then it's supposed to kind of be isolated around 530. So there is that window, you know, two to five that looks promising. There's always a window.
Speaker 1: There's always a.
Speaker 10: Window, Bill.
Speaker 3: When you look at the offense, like how similar does this feel to just like the second half of last year and what you guys went through and kind of what worked then or changed then down the stretch that put you in a better place.
Speaker 1: Going into October?
Speaker 10: Um, eerily similar. Um, I don't recall exactly what changed in September. Um, you know, uh, so yeah, I mean, outside of, you know, hit starting to fall, um, But I do think that it's kind of like the plan and then executing the plan in the box. And so it's, again, hitting's hard. But I think that just collectively, and I think that I can kind of put all of our hitters essentially in the same bucket of, you know, just try to essentially take good at bat, see the ball, and, you know, put a good swing and put a good at bat together. And then, you know, then hopefully guys feed off of that.
Speaker 6: All right, there's the manager, Dave Roberts, and his pregame thoughts as we continue here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. We will check in with David Vaz saying it's the very latest as we're leading up to Dodgers and Tigers from Detroit.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Cates.
Speaker 6: It's the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 7: As we were.
Speaker 1: Saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and Tigers on this Sunday. Tyler Glass now from Rivaldez, the pitching matchup. Dodgers baseball brought to you by El Pato. Born in L.A., made for your game day. El Pato brings authentic Mexican-style tomato sauces, salsas, and hot sauces right to your plate.
Speaker 2: El Pato, gourmet in a can.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Cates on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 7: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bassett.
Speaker 6: All right, Davey, we've had good weather so far on this road trip in Atlanta for three days, the first two games in Detroit.
Speaker 2: But today, how's it looking?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right now it's not raining, but the tarp is on the field and we got word that we are going to start the game in a delay. Obviously, both teams do not want to lose their starting pitchers. The Tigers are a little thin. The Dodgers are a little thin. So they don't want to start this game and then have a long period of time where Glasnow and Frambois Valdez could not return.
Speaker 7: So this is the norm now in baseball, Tim.
Speaker 5: I would even say 10 years ago, as recently as 10 years ago, teams would just play and then see what happens.
Speaker 7: Not anymore.
Speaker 5: Teams are very much opposed from starting games if there's any danger of their starting pitchers being forced out of the game due to weather.
Speaker 7: So it feels like the quote window, as they say these days, should be within an hour of the original first pitch time.
Speaker 2: That is good news. David is brought to you by Ford Summer Sales Event. Don't wait. Hurry in now for the best offers of the year.
Speaker 6: Go to buyfordnow.com or your Southern California Ford dealer for more information. Ford, official vehicle of Major League Baseball. David, what has happened to this Dodgers offense?
Speaker 7: Yeah, three runs in the last three games. It hasn't looked pretty.
Speaker 5: And look, the narrative might have been a little bit different if not for Javi Baez's incredible catch on a ball that was hit 396 feet in the ninth inning.
Speaker 7: Yesterday by Teoscar Hernandez. It was funny.
Speaker 5: I was in the Dodger clubhouse this morning talking to Teoscar Hernandez. We're watching the highlights on MLB Network's quick pick quick pitch and we're watching the Cubs highlights and then all of a sudden the Dodger highlights from yesterday came on Tim and they showed Javi Baez robbing Tao of what would have been a run scoring go ahead base hit double and he just couldn't believe it. He looked at me and said hey when things aren't going right those things happen and there's not a lot of things that have gone the Dodgers offense way recently but These guys are not panicking they're aware of the situation and the best thing is they have a huge lead in the NL West they're aware of that as well and they feel like they're getting guys on they're just not cashing them in so they're looking at things in a positive way. But the identity of the team, Tim, as you know, they're not a small ball team. Their identity is to slug. And they only have two home runs in their last seven games. That's got to change for them to score some runs.
Speaker 6: Speaking of changing, when we flip the calendar to September, David, teams could expand their rosters. Not like in the old days, but they can add a couple of guys to this roster.
Speaker 2: What do you expect?
Speaker 5: Well, it's not like the rules previous to where you could call up your entire 40-man roster. You can only add one more position player and one more pitcher. The position player is going to be Will Smith. There's a chance that the Dodgers could activate Dalton Rushing as well. They would obviously have to make a decision between Ben Roardfitt and Hunter Fiducia. Fiducia right now seems to be the leading candidate to back up Will Smith. Rushing can only hit, so he'd be a bat off the bench. And, you know, as far as a pitcher goes, Justin Robleski pitched yesterday, Emmitt Sheehan pitched yesterday, their candidates, as well as Blake Trinan. But I know I talked a lot about the last two days, James Tibbs possibly being called up. I don't know if that would happen right away at the beginning of September, and I don't know if it would happen at all. But right now, the most certain guy, is Will Smith, and we'll see which way the Dodgers go with their extra pitcher when they return home on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: All right, we'll find out. David, appreciate it. We'll check back in with you in just a little bit. Still to come here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We'll break down this pitching matchup. We got your Dodgers magical moment, though, when we come back. Dodgers and Tigers will start in a rain delay.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Cates. This is the back-to-back World Series champion, Dodgers. Audio note.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Tigers on this Sunday. Final game of this three-game series. Final game of this six-game road trip. We'll start in a rain delay. Tyler Glass now and Farmer Valdez.
Speaker 2: The pitching matchup.
Speaker 7: Hot dogs here. It's not a ball game without.
Speaker 1: A hot dog.
Speaker 8: Who wants a hot dog?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hoffie magical moment. It's magical.
Speaker 7: It was magical.
Speaker 1: Presented by Hoffie Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: Well, we go back to 2017. Really a special year for the Dodgers. All that young talent the Dodgers had finally broke through going back to the World Series. Unfortunately lost. to the Houston Astros who cheated their way to a World Series championship. Well, in that 2017 season, the Dodgers had a magical run as well. We go back to August 18th, 2017. Dodgers in Detroit taking on the Tigers. They were in a stretch of 60 games where the Dodgers just could not lose. McCann waits at home. Here's Jansen. The big right into Rear's back. Let's it go. And a check swing. Strike three.
Speaker 7: The game is over.
Speaker 4: For Jansen, he strikes out three in the inning. He gave up a home run, a couple of base hits, but for the Tigers, they leave the potential tying run standing at home plate. The Dodgers now move to 86 wins and 34 losses, and they are 15-3 in interleague play.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 6: The Dodgers with a win over the Tigers, eight to five, giving them their 51st win in a 60 game span. It's the best 60 game span in MLB in over a hundred years. Yes, it was the 1912 Giants, the last team to have such a run. By the way, no team has done so since. This Hoffie magical moment brought to you by Hoffie Hot Dogs. Hoffie, SoCal's local treasure for nearly 100 years. Hoffie Hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll check in with Charlie Steiner. They're leading you up to first pitch, Dodgers and Tigers. We will start in a rain delay.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Cates. This is the back-to-back World Series champion, Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Tigers from Detroit. Tyler Glass now from Verveldez. The pitching matchup of the series finale will start in a rain delay. First pitch was scheduled for 1040, but we will have a delay with the tarp on the field. A weather system blowing through the Motor City, but rain. We expect the game to get in after that. Time now for the Verizon Startup. Now, Verizon, you can lock in that low price for three years, so you can save big. Visit your SoCal Verizon store today.
Speaker 2: We welcome in Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 8: All right, Tim, the regular season ends four weeks from today. This is game 137. 26 games remain, 29 days left in the regular season. Dodgers, of course, have had a rough trip, losing four of five all one-run games. You know, since the All-Star break, they're 20-19. The Tigers, since the All-Star break, at 19-20. And once again, it's been a lack of offense mode that's just been killing them because the pitching's been terrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the pitching has kept it to one-run decisions, but the offense has been absent without leave. They've had opportunities. They've had opportunities galore. We've continued to talk about the fact that they just turned themselves away. They hit into, believe it or not, another double play last night. and that ended the sixth inning. A threat that they scored the only run in that inning. That drew the curtain down. That's 111 double plays they've hit into. That's more than any other team. And then you start to look at other teams. Hey, maybe half that number. So, you know, what would it be if you keep the ball off the ground in critical situations? Dave Robertson, the conversation I had with him yesterday, addressed that very privately, very quickly on top of it. But this is a ball club, Charlie, that's just desperately trying to find the offense that for some reason has dried up.
Speaker 8: They have scored three runs in the last 29 innings. And in the two games against the Tigers, collectively hitting 231. Three runs, 15 hits, 13 singles, two doubles. And three double plays. So therein is a microcosm of the Dodgers' problems of late. And so they're reconfiguring the lineup a little bit today. Otani still leading off. But he's been struggling lately. Edmund batting in the two-spot. Betts Freeman in the clean-up spot. Teo is batting fifth. Rojas, Tucker, Kike, and Rortbett round out the lineup. And so right now, instead of having a steady lineup, each day it's like, deck of the cards being flipped and see who ends up where.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get the appearance that Dave Roberts is trying to look and search for matchups. You know, this batter against this particular pitcher, and it's going to be, you know, Valdez on the mound for the Tigers today, the left-hander that the Dodgers seen plenty of him when he was in Houston with the Astros. But you mentioned the fact, I mean, low scoring over the last 29 innings. If you look at the runs scored, Remember the first half, the Dodgers were either first or second in baseball in runs scored. Well, since the All-Star break, they're tied for 19th in runs scored along with Cleveland in that area. So that's not going to do it. But, you know, the offense has to catch fire and support the pitching staff. And that has just not been the formula, in particular on this road trip, as you mentioned. I mean, they're just one and four on this road trip with only a chance to win one game today. And that most likely is going to be a little delayed because there was some rain here earlier in downtown Detroit area.
Speaker 8: Well, the Dodgers have played 49 one-run games this season. They're 27 and 22. Since the All-Star break in one-run games, they're 10-10. And they haven't been scoring a lot, so they've been low-scoring. One thing of it is 10-9-9-8. They're at 2-1 and 3-2. And they've got to find a way to string some hits together, which is something they've just been unable to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it still continues. Not to single out Shohei Otani, I think he's a reflection of a lot of other guys in this lineup.
Speaker 2: Pitch selection.
Speaker 4: In particular early in the count, has not been as stellar as it was in the first half of the season. And how many times over the last number of years, Charlie, have we talked about the fact of the Dodgers being very selective in the pitching that they are going to be offering at when they come to home plate? That's not been the case on a daily basis, and it has cost them dearly as far as wins and losses, and obviously as a result of lack of runs scored.
Speaker 8: You mentioned Frammer Valdez. He's 8-9 in a 435 ERA. He has never had an ERA higher in his career than 366, so he's had a bad year. Tyler Glasnow, 3-0, gets a start today, his 9th start, but his 2nd. since coming off the injured list. And so, Glasnow, again, the starters, you can't pin the wrap on them. They've been terrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have. And the bullpen has had to use a little bit more appearances as a result of, you know, the Dodgers in low-scoring affairs. You know, Dave Roberts is trying to find some kind of a combination, either in the starting lineup or guys coming off the bench. and supplying some offense. But until they get more selective, I think, at the plate with the pitches that they're offering at, it's going to be, you know, catch as catch can. And we're seeing the Dodgers now. I mean, they're playing for one run at a time because they're having difficulty scoring even the one run at a time.
Speaker 8: So coming into play today, the Brewers lead the Braves and the Dodgers by four. And if the season were to end today, the Dodgers would be the third team out of two. Head-to-head competition against the Braves. They're a leg up on the Dodgers. The Braves are hot. They've won six in a row, while the Dodgers have lost four of five. And again, you've got 26 games to go. Dodgers and Tigers wrap up this three-game series off tomorrow. Then Dodgers homeward bound to face the Cardinals beginning on Tuesday night. Lineups and first pitch coming up.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 6: Dodgers baseball presented by Uniqlo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Visit Uniqlo.com slash U-S. First pitch is coming up in just a little bit, but when, we do not know. It's supposed to start at 1040, but we'll start in a rain delay as the weather system blows through.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we got you covered here on Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 6: We'll preview this pitchy matchup, but up next, we go high and tight with David Vasse. Dodgers and Tigers from Detroit. One final time, I'm Tim Cates. This is the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. On your home for L.A. Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Tigers from Detroit on this Sunday. Game will start in a rain delay, not on time as the tarp is still on the field, but there is a window to get this game in. Tyler Glass now from Revaldez to pitch a matchup. We'll dive deeper into the numbers coming up in just a couple of minutes. Dodgers baseball is brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza parlor of the Dodgers audio broadcast.
Speaker 2: When it's game day, it's group day at Shakey's.com.
Speaker 1: And now, what will likely be Vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 2: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is High and Tight.
Speaker 5: Even with Tanner Scott trying to bring me down in rainy Detroit, we're joined right now by one of the relievers in that bullpen, the one and only Seth Halverson, the newcomer Seth Halverson.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: Since it is raining.
Speaker 5: Right now, I figured, hey, we got nothing else to do except a pregame conversation for fans to get to know you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 10: I'm ready.
Speaker 7: Don't be nervous with Tanner Scott right there.
Speaker 10: Good dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's it been like for you to get to know your teammates? The bullpen is a team within itself.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's been fun getting down there. Obviously, there's a lot of experience down there, so be able to just have conversations with everybody and pick some brains and just hang out and, you know, just learn by observing and learning. And just being able to compete with these guys, too, is fun.
Speaker 5: Has it been a breath of fresh air to actually pitch at sea level and not have to deal with the elements of Colorado?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's a big difference in how the ball feels on the fingers, you know, with the elevation. It just gets a little bit drier. And then, you know, yeah, the stuff plays, you know, probably a tick higher, too, when you're not in 5,000 feet.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So, yeah, it's been sweet to be able to not be there consistently. You know, over time from here, I'll still go back there a little bit, but not too often, not as often.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I've heard not only just the pitch characteristics, but obviously the mental part of playing there.
Speaker 7: Is that a real thing?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think, you know, you play there for 81 games, and it's like you kind of have to, like I'm prepared to play there more consistently and, I think actually I had better splits in Colorado. I don't know if that was just because I was prepared mentally all the time for Colorado, and I don't know what the science behind that is, but to be able to not have to play their 81 games out of the years, I think as a pitcher it's probably going to be beneficial.
Speaker 5: Seth Halverson is our guest. We're in Detroit, the Dodgers and Tigers getting set for first pitch.
Speaker 7: So you're a great guy to ask this.
Speaker 5: Everybody always wants to know, what's the secret with the Dodgers? How do they get pitchers to be their best? How have they helped you be the best version of you?
Speaker 11: It's just been... They got me back to my natural arm slot of where I kind of was in 2024. When I was at my best, it was just pretty... simple logic of just, like, this is where your arm was and, you know, when you had a high success rate in the major leagues, so let's get you back to there. And I think my pitches play better from that arm slot, and everything just kind of takes a tick up. And, you know, when I'm able to just compete, you know, throwing from a spot where I'm comfortable throwing, it's pretty exciting. And so they told me that the first couple days I was here and then just kind of been working to get back there. uh, you know, the last month or so.
Speaker 5: Is it tough to get, get back to that slot? Are you even conscious of it?
Speaker 11: Uh, I think I, I started raising it, you know, slightly over the last couple of years. And so it's not, it's not like a challenge to get back or it's not like impossible to get back to my arm slot. I think I have, um, you know, I don't know if I've gotten it all the way back down, but it's been, uh, it's been pretty comfortable getting back to a, a slot that I've had thrown from for a long time.
Speaker 5: That's got to be exciting. You mentioned the word compete. Isn't that what it comes down to on the mound? Not being so caught up in arm slots or mechanics, but to trust the preparation that you've put in. And when you're on that mound, mono-e-mono against that hitter, it's about coming down and competing and doing the best you can.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that's a great thing for what they told me because, you know, the arm slot, the whole thing is natural. So when I go out there, I'm not really, you know, focused on that. I'll kind of focus on it before I get on the mound. And once I get out there, yeah, keep it super simple and give it everything I got to compete one pitch at a time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one pitch at a time, one strike at a time, one out at a time. Seth Halverson is our guest. I think I'm going to nickname you Seth the Bull because you remind me of a bull on the mound.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Bulldozer.
Speaker 7: Bulldozer. That's what Tanner Scott's saying. Bulldozer. Perfect. Thanks, Tanner.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I can see a little Buzz Lightyear resemblance to you. I'll take it. All of the above. Tanner Scott, acquired taste, right? He's great. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Love spending time there with him and the bullpen.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, bull.
Speaker 5: All right, bulldozer. All right, Buzz Lightyear. Thanks a lot for the time, Seth Halverson.
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: Hey, Seth Alverson.
Speaker 5: He'll get a taste of the good life at Capitol Grill in Burbank and across the country.
Speaker 7: We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, DV. Yeah, I can see the Buzz Lightyear. He does have a resemblance to him.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 6: So he leads up to first pitch on this Sunday, Dodgers and Tigers.
Speaker 2: We will start in a rain delay.
Speaker 6: More on that coming up as we break down this pitching matchup, though, when we come back.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Cates. It's the back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network. As we were saying.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and tigers from Detroit.
Speaker 6: The rubber game of this three game set Dodgers won the opener on Friday fell to the tigers yesterday, two to one on a walk off hits in the ninth inning back at it today. This game though, we'll start in a rain delay.
Speaker 1: And now Before the Dodgers hit the diamond, we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 6: Brought to you by your Toyota dealers, we make it easy. Fromber Valdez, now a member of the Detroit Tigers, 8-9 with the 435 ERA. 32-year-old left-hander out of the Dominican Republic. Ninth season in the big leagues. The first eight with the Houston Astros. Now in his first season with Detroit. Making his 27th start. Throws a sinker a majority of the time. Curveball changeup. Gets a lot of ground ball outs. Last time out, six innings, four runs, eight hits, no strikeouts, and a loss to the Rays. In the month of August, Valdez is 3-2 with a. 373 ERA in five starts. He's the only left-handed pitcher in the American League to throw six-plus innings in 15 of his starts this year. Remember Valdez against the Dodgers in his career? 2-1 with a. 498 ERA and 26 strikeouts in four regular season appearances.
Speaker 2: Tyler Glass now on the mound for the Dodgers. He will go.
Speaker 6: No Shohei Otani, even though Otani is in the lineup as a designated hitter.
Speaker 2: Glass now 3-0 with a 3-0-2 ERA. The 33-year-old right-hander.
Speaker 6: Finally healthy in the 11th season in the big leagues, making his ninth start this year.
Speaker 2: So he's relatively fresh.
Speaker 6: Last time out was Tuesday in Atlanta. His first start since May 6th. And against the Braves, five innings, three runs, six hits, seven strikeouts, and a no decision. Remember, those three runs came in the first inning. And then he settled down the next four innings, hoping for more of that. Tyler Glass now has faced the Tigers once in his career. That was way back in 2018 as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In the second game of a doubleheader, he came on in relief. He got one hit, he allowed two strikeouts, and he walked two in two scoreless innings. This will be his second time ever pitching twice. at Comerica Park. Tyler Glass now, Frambois Valdez, the pitching matchup. It's the Dodgers and the Tigers on this Sunday. We'll have more when we come back right here on your back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck. On your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Tigers on this Sunday. Game will start in a rain delay. We'll get an update coming up in just a little bit. Tyler Glass now in Frambois-Valdez, the pitching matchup. Tyler Glass now making just his ninth start this season. We saw Blake Snell still making single-digit starts yesterday for the Dodgers, so seemed to be healthy pitching-wise outside of Shohei Otani coming down the stretch here. We are now one month left in the season after today as the Dodgers will head home for a nine-game homestand. a nine-game homestand against the Cardinals, the Reds during this stretch, and the Nationals. It's three teams that are under. 500 in the standings. As we get you ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo start, great moment to start with Sapporo beer. Whatever your taste preference, Sapporo has you covered with a variety of crisp and refreshing lagers, including light and non-alcoholic beers.
Speaker 2: Sapporo, good with sushi, great with baseball. The Dodgers at 81-55.
Speaker 6: As David Vastain mentioned earlier, the Dodgers still have a comfortable nine-game lead in the division. Nine games up on the Padres, nine games up on the Diamondbacks, and the Giants and Rockies both just trying to fight for the rest of the season to end as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, the Dodgers, the final month of this season... Just one series against a team that is over.
Speaker 1: 500.
Speaker 6: And that's the San Diego Padres coming up in a few weeks. Everybody else on their schedule, Miami Marlins,. 500. Everybody else below.
Speaker 2: 500.
Speaker 6: So a schedule that is favorable for the Dodgers the final month of the season as they can get right, so to speak, offensively for October baseball.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 6: When we come back, we'll head back out to Detroit, get an update from Nellie and Rick, and find out what's the latest. Is the tarp still on the field? Where do we stand as far as first pitch? The final game from Detroit, Dodgers and Tigers. This has been Morocco Casino Dodgers on Deck on your back-to-back World Series champion Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Audio Network.