Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network pay Corps. Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals, Kettering ELF Best Care for the Best Fans, Kettering ELF Official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it going on this Monday night. If it's Monday, it must be Bengals Line, and that means three hours of conversation coming your way. We're gonna hear from the players and coaches will break it all down. At a twenty six to twenty loss to the Patriots yesterday, we'll look to the quick turnaround Thursday night Thanksgiving out against those Baltimore Ravens in the division. Dave, let's begin here. We knew going in, the expectation was things would be difficult without Jamar Chase and then early and unexpected benefit, the defense gets a pick six. It's ten nothing, you're thinking, okay, and unfortunately it's kind of the yin and yang of this season. Something good will happen, something negative will happen. It's just kind of the path that this season that we've seen it navigate from week one through. It balances out a good moment with a very frustrating moment into the very end on a drive with a chance to maybe win. And then know, and we sit here tonight dissecting twenty six to twenty in defeat.
Speaker 3: That sums it up very very well. I'm telling you that that was a kind of a heartbreaker. Really. I mean, they played the Patriots off their feet, they really did. It was it was anybody's football game. Like you said, they'd make a play, you know, turnover touchdown is about as good as it gets. Make a play like that, and then they'd give up a same type of thing, turnover touchdown or give up a big player, whatever the case may be. It was. It was the highs and lows, you know, like they talk about in the wild world of sports, is the thriller victory, the agony of defeat, and the highs and lows of it that goes along during the course that journey. And that's what the Bengals organized with yesterday. They played well enough to win, they really did in most intances, but you have to close it out, you know, you have to somehow figure out a way to make a play that ends the game, that finishes it off, and the Bengals are just having an extremely difficult time right now finishing.
Speaker 2: You think of that. I go back to the sequence, and it's not just offense defense, it's all three managing a positive or a negative that I think of the sweet pass from Flacco to Tinsley at four forty to go and they're in position, and then the special teams gives up the thirty six yard kick return, and then on third and eleven, the defense gives up the completion and it's just like h everywhere you turn, thinking you want to clap, then you just like shake your hands at frustration.
Speaker 3: I had a few friends that attended the game, and that's exactly what they said they were doing. You know, it was like they be on their feet going absolutely crazy, going berserk, and then you know, what the heck are we looking at? You know, they'd be wringing their hands.
Speaker 2: Uh it.
Speaker 3: There were a good number of big plays, and I at this point in time, I'd like to give some credit to Joe Flacco for sucking it up the way he did. I mean, this guy is a pros pro. There's there's no question about that. And and uh, you could tell that he was still in pain, he was still still fighting it. I you know, shoulder a c joint, you know, you don't you don't know exactly what it is, how severe it is. But separations. I've had a shoulder separation. There is no no picnic, man, it's no joke. There's a legitimate and serious pain there. And what throwing the football, it's on a throwing shoulder, you know, I mean, throwing the football under those conditions is really something else. I mean, he's uh, he's a tough dude. He's he's hard. Nos, There's there's no doubt about it. I mean, he's he's showing leadership both physically and mentally, you know, with his football team. And and I just can't can't pull together a victory for him though.
Speaker 2: That lost four in a row.
Speaker 3: Now, man, after beating the Pittsburgh Steelers thirty three, thirty one, they've lost four in a row. They lose by a point, they lose by five points, they lose by twelve to Pittsburgh gonna rematch, and then they lose by six. I mean if two of those games, yes, go the other way. We'd be talking about a horse of a different color. You know, you'd be talking about a football team with five wins, not three.
Speaker 2: Boy, And just think as you say that, if you'd found a way to win yesterday to get to four and seven, you get in theory, Joe back Thursday night against the Ravens who are in first at six and five, you've got two games left against them. I mean, if we had sat here in week one and you'd said to us, hey, I think by week eleven the division leader in the AFC North would be six and five, right, we would have said, what six and five? I think the six and five leads the division, and you're still chasing that. It's just so just missed opportunities along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sums it up right there, missed opportunities. And this was a year that the AFC North was extreme. We win all. Let's face him. When you have the first place team after eleven weeks into the season with the six and five record, I mean that's very just a little bit above average, Matt says. And and that's the way the entire division is playing. You know, you can't sleep on Cleveland, Cleveland, will you know? Jump up and bite you in the butt. There's no question about that. Uh, you know, Baltimore and Pittsburgh right there fighting it out, little Yin and yang going on between those to those two clubs and the Bengals, man, it was such an opportunity. But when you look at it, the football God said, no, it's not gonna be this year for you guys because of the injuries. Man. I mean they just said, you know, you're gonna have to deal with injuries. You're gonna have to suffer through injuries. You're gonna have to fight through injuries as an organization, as a football team. And uh, you know, if you can do that and win the division, God bless you. You know you're you're a better football team than we thought.
Speaker 2: And Dave, nobody will nobody will say this Bengals defense obviously is the doomsday defense of the Steel Curtain, right, but in the last two weeks they've allowed nineteen and twenty And early in the season, had we sat here and said, hey, if they can only give up nineteen or twenty, they'll probably win the game. And that's another part of the frustration. The defense has actually looked at not great, but certainly there's progress being made the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Al Golden would agree with that. Lance. I think he would probably say, my defense is progressing, you know, Is it progressing as quickly as he had hoped or thought? No? Probably not if I think, definitely not. But you know, they've had their share of injuries as well. I mean, they're they're playing a couple of rookie linebackers in their four two five package now, you know, and they've had problems with the injury to the outside edge rush guys, and particularly Trey Hendrickson, who's, you know, if not the best, one of the best best pass rushers in the National Football League. And you lose a guy like Trey Hendrickson, a difference maker like that, it's going to hurt you, and it has hurt the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Let's pick it up with coach Zach Taylor after the game his thoughts on what transpired.
Speaker 4: Zach, the defense allowed nineteen points today, it was twenty last week.
Speaker 5: What progress do you see on that side of the ball.
Speaker 6: They're finding rhythm, you know, it's they're believing in each other, what we're doing, finding ways to get stops. Guys are stepping up and making plays. I love the communication from that group, and they're starting to get more and more confidence. You know, That's just that's how the world works. To have some success, you get more confidence. There's a lot of things today. I think that'll continue to build towards that as well, and we'll build on that moving forward.
Speaker 4: Jalen Davis has been part of this team for most of your tenure. He got an opportunity to play extended snaps today and I thought he played, well, what did you think of Jayleen?
Speaker 6: He's not afraid to go make a play, you know, and that's what you saw. He went after him, got a sack, did a great job fitting the B gap and getting a holding penalty one time that set him back, and so you just you see things. He's a competitor, he's got a high football IQ. He's not afraid to go make a play, and I saw that from JD today.
Speaker 4: I think there was a stretch where New England had ten straight plays in goal to go situation, so inside ten where the defense did not allow them to get in the end zone.
Speaker 5: What kind of a building block is that?
Speaker 6: That's character, I mean, that's that's character and toughness. And guys just doing their job and know one that other guys are gonna do theirs. And that's exactly how point out and proud of those guys that gave us a lot of momentum, you know. And they stopped him on the two and we didn't go score, but we were able to get the ball out to the forty and trying to flip the field. And so again I was proud of the effort on those that drive you're talking about with this defensive guys.
Speaker 4: Chase Brown ran for more than one hundred yards today. I don't think I'm back at top sixty against the Patriots defense this year. Do you feel like the running game now? You can safely say it's more or less turn the corner and it's pretty reliable.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 6: Again, that speaks to the confidence. I think the whole group's got confidence in the run game. The guys up front are really coming off the ball, doing a great job there, communication backs, understanding where we're going to fit these balls. The tight ends are doing excellent job, and the perimeter receivers are bought in as well, and so we do have a lot of confidence for a run game right now. And we'll continue lean on.
Speaker 4: You didn't have Jamar Chase, and you lost T Higgins late in this game. Mitch Tinsley caught a touchdown pass. Andre yoc Bosch made some big catches. But how difficult is it offensively when you're essentially down to a couple of wide receivers.
Speaker 6: That's just that's the way it works. You got to find a way. No one wants to hear excuses. You got to put those guys in a position to be successful. I think their position coaches have been an excellent job preparing the next man up, problem solving on the move there as guys were playing a different position for the first time and run concepts that hadn't practiced. I thought our execution was still really at a high level and give us a chance to win the game.
Speaker 4: You seriously considered the possibility of Joe Burrow playing this week. How quickly would you like to have a decision made for the Thursday night game against Baltimore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's got to be clarity, you know, in terms of just we're not physically practicing, we're walking through and stuff. But you'd like the quarterbacks step clarity. So Sooner wrote that later appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Yep, thank you, dam Zach Taylor. After the game, we'll take a time out of come back here from Joe Flacco on what transpired yesterday, and we've got a whole lot to sort through between now and nine o'clock. Thanks for being here. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. Hey, we're back on Bengals Line on this Monday night on the Bengals Radio Network seven hundred WLW and ESPN fifteen thirty. Reminder at the bottom of the hour, it's UC basketball coming up Dan Ontario. Set it up on seven hundred WLW. We carry on and continue on on ESPN fifteen thirty the rest of the way. Joe Flacco yesterday, the final numbers for the Bengals quarterback nineteen of thirty seven passing one to eighty three through the air, a sack, a touchdown, an interception, a quarterback rating of sixty three point two, and a dislocated finger. Yeah, let's pick it up with Joe Flacco after the game.
Speaker 7: I think we took we took our shots, and even within those shots, we had opportunities. We just didn't quite get it done. I mean, I just felt like they did a pretty good job all day of just kind of slowing us down, not allowing us to get into a rhythm. Even though we ran the ball well, we weren't able to kind of capitalize on that and get in a rhythm and and and convert some third downs, and you know, we'd get to midfield forty.
Speaker 8: Yard line and then we just kind of wouldn't be able to keep going.
Speaker 7: And it's probably it's there's always fault on us for not being able to make that happen. But at the same time, like I said, I think they just do a good job of of slowing you down and not allowing you to do that. And I thought our whole line played well, and they were just able to do what they do on defense and and and kind of not allow us to make any big plays and and then have to go the long way and we weren't able to do.
Speaker 3: It in the passing game that your kind of clear, your ahead of that and you have.
Speaker 8: To moment Yeah, well, I mean stuff happens throughout the course of the game. I mean it's a shame.
Speaker 7: I mean, I feel bad about the pick six but at the same time, I didn't see the guy and it's you know, it's one of those plays you want back. It's the simplest play in the world. Play action, look for two, check it down. I gave t all the opportunities and they just had the right coverage on And yeah, I mean, like.
Speaker 8: I said, you don't draw it up like that.
Speaker 7: When that happens, it's it's it's one of the simplest plays in football.
Speaker 8: So those are gonna hurt you.
Speaker 6: But how do you feel like you played overall?
Speaker 7: Just kind of like I talked about, there were some things that you know, where we started to kind of feel like we're going to go put a drive together and then just got slowed down. And I feel like the same same with me. I was never really quite able to get in that rhythm.
Speaker 8: And and.
Speaker 7: You know, and and complete as many balls as I would as I was as I would like to. It seemed like they did a good job of targeting and trying to.
Speaker 3: Take him, for sure.
Speaker 7: I think they do a good job of playing top down and just kind of you know, taking away some of the quick stuff by coming up and pressing, so you're not you're not able to get the ball out of your hands to them really quick. And then in situations they do a good job of playing top down with the eyes, with their eyes on the quarterback and having some help. Yeah, there were times they played man, but I think they were able to drop some other guys underneath. And I think with te specifically, you're always kind of shading his way and then trying to just throw off his rhythm, whether that's at the line of scrimmage or you know, holding your ground ten yards down the field with your eyes back on the quarterback and making it tough to kind of break leverage.
Speaker 5: How difficult or different is it running this offense without Jamar Chase Well.
Speaker 7: I think anytime you lose you know, not only one of the best players in your team, but one of the best players in.
Speaker 8: Football, you know you have you know, guys have to step up.
Speaker 7: But I think I think we still got a bunch of good players and it's a shame that we didn't do what we wanted to today, but I definitely think we're capable of it.
Speaker 9: Besides the Jamar distraction.
Speaker 8: Besides the Jamar distraction.
Speaker 10: This week, there's a lot of talk about Joe Burrow potentially playing.
Speaker 8: Zach said, you found out on Friday that you'd be definitely the started.
Speaker 5: Did that change preparation or anything like that for you this week?
Speaker 8: That was a challenge.
Speaker 7: The thing with my situation is, listen, I've played a lot of football and I probably wasn't gonna practice a lot this week anyway. You know, I might have got a couple of reps on Thursday that you know, wouldn't would have wouldn't have ended up mattering that much. So now that's just part of this business, is you know, getting ready for a game, and each week presents its different challenges.
Speaker 8: And you know Joe is you know, he's.
Speaker 7: Trying to feel out his body and get back on the field.
Speaker 8: So that's part of what you have to deal.
Speaker 6: With the last month.
Speaker 11: Is it almost cruel knowing a couple of different plays and this could look like a much different story.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, listen, I mean it's all about winning in this league, and you know, I've talked about it a lot. In order to get to that point. In order to win football games, everybody has to focus on their job and then the wins come and take care of themselves. And you know, I think a lot of I think you know, we've done a good job of doing that. We just haven't been you know, consistently good enough throughout sixty minutes. Uh. You know, you can see little things getting better here and little things getting better there, and we're just not producing wins with those things. It's frustrating, Yes, it is, especially now that we're sitting here and you look back on all those But like I've always said, when you're in the moment, you just got to continue to do your job little by little and look up at the end of the day and see what the results are. And the results haven't been what we want them to be. But I do think we've done a lot of good things in that meantime.
Speaker 10: Do you think that you'd be able to Thursday?
Speaker 8: I assume so.
Speaker 7: I mean, you never know with fingers, but I mean the fact that I was able to get out there and do it right now and stuff like.
Speaker 8: That, like yeah, I mean I literally like get my shoulder actually feels really good.
Speaker 7: I think my shoulder has done nothing but gotten better the last three weeks, and.
Speaker 8: Everything else, you know, feels great. So the last.
Speaker 3: Drive, you guys were lining up where you know, the leader more.
Speaker 7: Double always that last ride for your Yeah, listen, I mean I have all the confidence in the world and everybody that we throw out there, and I think you could see that. I think, you know, a different guy made a play on each one, you know, as we started moving down down the field, and you know, Mitch gets in, you know, the second to last drive and you know nothing he wasn't in, but you know, gets a chance on a go ball and wins. And you know, it's a shame because there are always positives in games like these, but when you don't win them, you know, it's hard to feel like it matters.
Speaker 8: So, uh, you know, that's that's why winning is such a big deal.
Speaker 7: It It can highlight you know, guys stepping up and doing good things in those roles, and since we weren't able to do it, you know, it kind of goes unseen.
Speaker 2: Joe Flacco after the game. Much more on Joe and what he's meant in his time here with the Bengals a little bit later on in the show as well. Reminder at the bottom of the hour We're going to break Away on ESPN fifteen thirty seven hundred WLW You continues on with UC basketball tonight against New Jersey Institute of Technology, Dan and Terry will set that up. We continue till nine on ESPN fifteen thirty. Was so much more to break down and discuss from yesterday's loss to the Patriots and the look ahead to Thursday night, Thanksgiving Night and those Baltimore Ravens as we continue with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey, we continue rolling right along on this Monday night talking Bengals, all things Bengals over the next three hours of Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty, Lance McAllister Dave Lapham Let's talk defense Geno Stone yesterday and Dave, as you referenced it, it's the much maligned at times Geno Stone had a big day yesterday. For all the criticism he has earned at times, he deserves the props of yesterday of a thirteen tackle performance, a pick six, solid tackling day was probably, I know it might be his best day as a Bengal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thirteen tackles and a thirty two yard pick six. U that's that dog will hunt right there. Uh. He made a great play on the on the pick six. I mean he kind of baited him to throw that football, hung back there in a deep quadrant of the cover to his own defense, and then just turned it turned it on when he came downhill and picked that football off, and uh, nobody laid a finger on him. I mean, he he was in the end zone celebrating in the It was a it was a big moment in the football game for sure, And he did have a bunch of tackles, but he still missed some, you know. I mean it's like it's almost like when you're when you're having trouble tackling, you have to make about twenty because they're coming right at you. It seems like every player is like, I got to make another tackle? What's going on here? When is anybody else gonna get involved in this tackling action? But yeah, he's I think I think he's again. He's another guy. Al Golden. I was talking to him after the football game. He said, our guys are trying. Every single guy is still giving me everything he's got, and that's all I can ask for. You know, they want to win games, they want to play for their teammates, they want, you know, eleven people to be playing like one they you know, they do. They want to they want to play well, They want to do well for the city of Cincinnati, they want to do well for the fan base. Just ain't happening as as you mentioned during the broadcast, and I want to go through they come up with the two goal line stands. One results at no points, one results in a nineteen yard field goal.
Speaker 2: And I think it was the second one. You said you could hear playing his day the Bengals defensive booth next to you guys making a whole lot of noise in celebration of getting a huge stop at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was big, big stop. And they were they were on their feet, they were they were high five and high ten and they were. They were all all jacked up and thought there could be a big turning point in the game, which it could have been, but was not meant to be unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Let's let's pick it up after the game and hear from the man who had those thirteen tackles and the pick six. Here is Geno Stone.
Speaker 6: Gonna start off with, uh, your pick six?
Speaker 8: Who kind to take me back to kind of.
Speaker 4: What you saw on that play.
Speaker 12: We're just kind of in a you know, m a man defense and kind of just went empty. And I was reading the quarterback early seeing the free runner kind of just went over top, and you know, he th I kind of overthrew it and then I just took it from there.
Speaker 2: What didn't mean for you.
Speaker 13: To make a fool like that?
Speaker 8: And especially getting expands?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 12: Nah, I feel like I needed it, you know, just haf the past few weeks I had I feel like I, you know, I wasn't playing up to what I should be playing at. And I feel like, you know, today I showed what I'm capable of and who I really am. So I feel like I needed that. You say, take that play out of the equation. You still feel like it was a pretty solid game for you. Yeah, I mean I looked up. I think I got thirteen tackles. I think that's the most ever had in my career. So I mean I feel like I checked that box off and checked that other box off. So the other thing we did, we we did.
Speaker 8: We sent win, you know.
Speaker 12: Individual I mean, I feel good, but end of the day, I wanna win, and the the win is.
Speaker 10: Like you said, the most important thing, but the the gold line stands. I mean, how much couldn't that carry forward for this defense.
Speaker 9: As a as a whole.
Speaker 12: No, I mean I just feel like, you know, work, we're showing who our row identity is. I mean it it took a while. I took a lot, so I play we're going guys in the race, boss, and we're all just you know, playing Hart right though. I mean, I feel like you guys are flying around and you know we're owning uh up to all the things that we were mistakes that we had an early in season, and we're all just put together right now.
Speaker 6: I think that's happened to me that one that I'm now.
Speaker 12: Going, Uh, get your body ready. I know I'm hurting a little bit. You just got you get it ready. You know you got a short way. So I know the coach you're gonna get a good game plan for us, and to get get ready for the Ravers. You know the type of team they are is a ABC North, So tryta get ready for him.
Speaker 10: We got Joe Burrow coming back. The defense takes a step forward. Do you feel like you guys have a run in you even though it's been.
Speaker 12: Eight out of nine months. No, definitely, I mean we're right there. I mean, I play every game. We have a right there, so something that you can't count us out, especially gout with Joe Burro, like Joe Burrow. So I feel like, you know, the run we had last year, you just gotta start now.
Speaker 9: I was gonna say last year, does that give you guys something to lean on and look?
Speaker 12: Yeah, definitely, I mean definitely, And it's especially stressed we got coming up. It's all considered team, so it's gonna show what we're made up. So we definitely gotta get these games right now.
Speaker 9: They have talked about it.
Speaker 11: Can you walk me through the big early in the game to create momentum and make a big play.
Speaker 12: Yeah, nothing, I was just saying, it really just a man defense kind of just playing the post and uh, you know, right the quarterback's eyes and he kind of you know, overthrow the you know, tight end by a little bit, and uh, you know it's a man to pay for it.
Speaker 11: So yeah, when you get the ball in your head, I know you're thinking, but did it just open up for you in front of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Kind of, I kind of you know, I'll try to skin you up all of our linemen because you know, usually you had to go to the sideline and someone usually takes an angle gets you out, so I really try to just keep up the middle first and then bounce it out and then all the guys did a great job blocking from me.
Speaker 9: So that's kind of all was happened. Yeah, you guys are in the winds business.
Speaker 11: But is today and encouraging for the defense despite the loss?
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 12: I mean I feel like we had a bunch of goal line stances and I mean what probably all gave him one touchdown and then the touchdown was kind of schemed up on us. We know what kind of where it came from.
Speaker 3: So h hatch off to them.
Speaker 12: But you know, I feel like we did a great job today the way we tackled and the way we flew around and played.
Speaker 11: You felt like they had the ball on the one yard line seven eight different times and couldn't score on you guys. What is it about this d defense today that it really clicked and you guys.
Speaker 5: Were hard to score on?
Speaker 12: Like I said, I mean, like I said earlier, we kind of just owned up to all the mistakes we had in the past, and uh, you know, owning everything that happen and then taking them forward and then taking the next step. I feel like a lot of guys that we said, like all the leaders we have in the group are leading all the younger guys and take taking everyone that's uh, you know that he's messing up with myself. We're all taking our next step and getting better at each week and each day.
Speaker 11: A lot of guys who are getting the first opportunity, who are showing up and making plays for this defense. How important is it that anybody who's called up one has to come in there and be.
Speaker 2: A difference man.
Speaker 12: No, it's definitely great. I mean it's the next man inntality all the time. This is how it's how the league works. You know, guys get hurt a lot of in this league. So uh, whenever your opportunity is called, you gotta get ready to go play. And uh, a bunch of guys that are thinking today, especially Jad, so he's gotta I say right now that just you know, cause came in and we had tip a beat. So I'm hats off to him and hats off to all the guys who played today and play We played hard.
Speaker 11: Rom If there's anybody in this room who knows what the challenge is Thursday night going to Baltimore winning, it's you from your time there. Do you feel like this team is close though, to kind of get that win and just kind of calumbing the water, so to speak?
Speaker 3: With the win?
Speaker 12: Yeah, definitely. I mean, I mean I feel I mean, we were right there every game.
Speaker 9: We've been right there.
Speaker 12: It's not like we haven't been there yet. So I mean, I feel like all it takes is, you know that the last go plays and we's got to finish.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 12: That's all it takes right now. And I feel like we got the guys in a group, especially, we got guys home back, so uh, I'm ready for I'm ready for those.
Speaker 2: That Geno stone after the game. The one thing that jumps out and back to our original theme of the yin and yang of all this is as many times as they made plays defensively, how many times did the Patriots target the middle of the field. The tight ends, who combined had ten catches, one hundred and fifty four yards and a touchdown. Drake Maye threw for two ninety four, so one fifty four. Over half the yards went to the tight ends. Dave and Dan mentioned during the broadcast just in an incredulous voice, like, why do why do the struggles continue of stopping the tight ends over the middle of the field. Yeah, the sixty four thousand dollars question, but no answer, no question about it.
Speaker 3: It's a difficult thing to answer. And it's like, all right, well, are the tight ends just winning? Are they beating linebackers in safeties? You know, are they running better real crisp routes getting separation? To me, it doesn't look like that. It looks like there are blown assignments. I mean, it's got to be driving Al Golden crazy. He has to be tearing his hair out by the roots, because you know, that's not what he's all about. I mean, when he was at Notre Dame, they were buttoned up. They did not blow assignments. And they might have gotten beaten physically because they played against a better opponent or whatever the case may be there individually or collectively as a football team, but it wasn't giving things away because of mental errors. And man Paul Brown used to hate that. Oh jeez. I mean, if you get your nose into playbooks on understand what we're trying to do here. If you can't handle it mentally, we can't play you. We can't put you on the football field, or if you do understand it mentally and you're trying to make plays and beat play hero ball. I don't like that either. I don't like hero ball. I like team football. I want us to play team defense, and that's what the coaches want, and that's what we want as well.
Speaker 2: David, I would think, at least on a day, and I know it's a loss is a loss, and you still look though for signs and stuff to stack and build on it. And we mentioned the progress made by the defense, and I thought Chris Jenkins, I wrote his name down early in a game for the first time in a while. And Jaylen Davis. We'll hear from Jalen coming up in this hour on his interception. But there are guys who have good moments, which I think gotta has got to mean something for them individually and something for the unit to say, all right, we've been getting our tail kicked, and we've been we've been beating up all season long, but maybe some things are starting to develop here and there's more reason to believe in what we're doing right.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jalen Davis is a great example. Al Golden has to be proud of him, and he just keeps getting better and better, and he deserves more and more playing time, more and more opportunity to make plays. He had the interception. I think he was probably as good a tackler as it was on the football field. I mean, when he hit people, they were on the ground, he brought him down. There wasn't you know, mistackle yards after initial contact. He did a very good job of form tackling, getting the head across the bow and wrapping those arms up. That's the key. I think a high percentage of the misstackles are due to not wrapping up and taking the opponent's ball. Carry would be it running back, wide, receiver, tight end, whatever to the ground.
Speaker 2: Still ahead, and we'll flip the script back to the offensive side of things. Mitch Tinsley checks in as we roll on with Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Hey, we were rolling right along, and it's monding out of Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty at.
Speaker 3: Lance's time for the injury report, which unfortunately, fortunately is pretty extensive. Nothing real serious, you know, surgery, you know, end of season and all that sort of thing. But they're beaten up and they're nicked up for sure. And that's presented by Kettering Healthy, official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals, providing the best care for the best fans. And uh it is. I mean, you know, you've got guys out because of injury, and again nothing nothing severe, but enough to keep them out of the football game. And and then guys get hurt during the course of the football game. You know, you get your and it always seems like one position group starts to get ravaged, you know, and and uh Jamar Chase uh you know is missing for this football game and then lo and behold uh down goes T Higgins.
Speaker 2: That was scary.
Speaker 11: It was that.
Speaker 2: That's one of those ones you had cringed and kind of jumped when you saw the head just snap off the turf.
Speaker 3: Yeah that uh man, When you when when it bounces like that, when it gets that kind of a kind of a bounce, uh you know that that noticeable a bounce, You're thinking there could be some damage there and there there was hopefully nothing too severe. He won't miss too much time. But man, you just I mean, I know the fan base is just like, when are we gonna have all three of the big three together at the same time performing for the Cincinnati Bengals. They're still still waiting for that. And Uh, unfortunate enough to wait a little longer.
Speaker 2: With the t situation. In a normal week, it's probably gonna be it would have been challenging to get through concussion protocol on a short week. Probably lean to not gonna be able to turn it around that quickly to play Thursday.
Speaker 3: Agreed, absolutely, And uh, and also I think that was probably a factor in the Joe Burrow decision. All right, well, let's just you know, you got you got two games in a very short time frame here a quick turnaround. You're not gonna have a whole lot of time to recover after the after the football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. So what you know are the New England Patriots, So what are we gonna what are we gonna do? Well, let's just wait and let's let them go against the Baltimore Ravens. Let's let them match up against lamarg They've had some incredible matchups in the past. And and Joe Burrow has done a great job of going into Baltimore and giving the Ravens all he can handle and beating him. They have a lot of respect for him, and rightfully so.
Speaker 2: Mitch Tinsley yesterday two catches twenty nine yards, a seventeen yarder and a touchdown. A really sweet throw from Joe Flacco. A really nice catch from Mitchell Tinsley. Here's Mitch after the game on the afternoon, we're in the locker room.
Speaker 4: Mitch Tinsley had a touchdown catch today, an opportunity there late in the game to potentially pull it out. Unfortunately, you guys couldn't quite score that game winning touchdown. But what did you think of the Offensi's performance late in the game and at least making it a possible come from behind wind.
Speaker 13: We did a good job fighting, trying to take advantage of opportunities when we were out there. You know, some guys went down, and you know some guys stuffed up, and I think, you know, we just try to fight today.
Speaker 4: In your touchdown pass was the first that Christian Gonzalez is allowed all year. It looked like a perfect throw from Joe Flacco. Described the route, described the play, Oh it.
Speaker 13: Was a man coverage and you know, cause that was was a great player. But you know I seen him, I gave him a great release, stacked him, and you know I just looked the ball.
Speaker 9: And Joe put it right right there where I needed to, and you know, I just made a play.
Speaker 5: You guys didn't have Jamar for the entire game. It didn't have t late.
Speaker 4: How did that affect you and Andre and some of the other guys trying to you know, take up for that absence and make plays down the stretch.
Speaker 13: I mean, I feel like all of us just tried to do a good job of, you know, approaching every single day in practice and you know, just every just every day mentality like where the starters. So I I think, you know, we had to go in knowing that, with the confidence, knowing that we can make plays, uh you know when our numbers called, and just being ready for the opportunity.
Speaker 4: I mentioned the touchdown catch. How about the the catch on fourth down late in the game. I'm not sure how you caught that. It looked like went right through the defensive back's hands and you someholp up the found the ball and state in violence.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was just h is a focus then, honestly, because I wasn't sure if he was gonna get high enough for anything to you know, to get hand on it, and they want to see him go through his hands time or reaction to everything, because where I thought the ball was gonna go and where it actually ended up.
Speaker 8: You know, I just had to react to it.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it was And I just try to make.
Speaker 4: A point, Mitchell, are you encouraged by what the defense is doing. It's two weeks now where the defense at least has given up twenty or fewer points to the other team's offense.
Speaker 9: I have full confidence in our defense.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 13: I feel like they grind, they go hard every single day.
Speaker 9: You know, they have a great.
Speaker 13: Mentality the way they approach practice every single week, and you know, I think it's showing out there this week so last week. So I mean, I know they're gonna continue to do with what they've been doing.
Speaker 5: And you know, just go go on to the next congratulating your second TV. Thank you. That's Mitchy.
Speaker 2: Mitch Tinsley After the game and Dave, we talk about guys taking advantage of opportunities. Bengal saw something in him in camp. I think everybody was kind of buzzing, like, hey, this is Tinsley.
Speaker 3: He's got something going on.
Speaker 2: Here, and he's taken advantage of the opportunities when presented this.
Speaker 3: He really has, I mean five catches, two of them are touchdowns. That's pretty damn good production right there. He's averaging fifteen point six per catch along of twenty seven. So when he's been given the opportunity, he's answered the bell. There's no doubt. And I think you know, Joe Flacco and Joe Burrow both have confidence in this kid. It's like when he's on the football viil, it's not like should I or shouldn't I. No, they're cutting it loose. They're they're getting the ball to to mits Tinseley, and he's showing them that they should. He's a great story, there's no question, and the all the teammates love him. He works hard, man, he's, you know, on the football field, one of the first ones out in the field, one of the last ones to leave kind of guy. He's given everything he's got. He knows that how fortunate he is that not everybody playing football and walking the earth is going to get a chance to play professional football and he's getting one, so he wants to capitalize big time.
Speaker 2: And I guess you could say the opposite of not taking the opposite of taking advantage of opportun unities would be somebody like Unfortunately, Jermaine Burton, who on a day there's no Jamar Chase, your third round pick, the eightieth pickoverall a couple of years ago, is inactive, which I think speaks volumes about where Jermaine Burton fits into the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, they just don't feel like he's ready yet. You know that that mentally he's he's there. Yet mentally he understands everything that needs needs to understand all the nuances of the offense, particularly at the wide receiver position. And you know, I mean, the relationship between quarterback and receiver has to be you know strong. I mean, it has to be like an unbreakable bond. We I'm expecting you to be there when I throw the football. You got to be there. And if you're not there and I suffer an interception or worse, an interception pick six, you know we got problems. We got issues, and you know he's just, uh, he's got work to do, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: We will take a time out and head down the stretch final segment of our first hour of the first of three big hours. We'll hear from Evan McPherson coming up in our hour. Also, Orlando Brown will talk Joe Burrow and more as we make our way through this Monday night of all things Bengals. Conversation on Bengals Line, the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Hey, we're back on Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty. Lance but candlister Dave Lapham hanging out on a Monday night. Yes, Sir Lanson, everybody should shock the Bengals Pro Shop. Find the best selection of Bengals merchandise anywhere is at the Pro Shop, seven days a week, located on the north side of Pey Court Stadium, or shop online at Bengals dot Com. Dave final thought on the hour. We'll hear from Jalen Davis later on in the show about his day. But he was part of a blitz and I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems like they blitzed more yesterday and it created some things and maybe leads to maybe trying more. There's always you know that you're you'll get burned every once in a while. But seemed to create some problems yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I think Al Golden has started to increase that. I think he feels that confident that the blitz is going to get home. We're going to at least cause problems, yes, And the worst thing that can happen is when you blitz and it gets taken up and everybody gets stoned and there's no pressure and now you're a man short in the back end and it's like, oh no, you gritting your teeth, you close your eyes, and you hope that quarterback doesn't find the right place to throw the football. But I agree, I think Al Golden by nature is an aggressive guy, you know, in terms of his mindset, how he wants to play football defensively, he wants to get after you. He doesn't want to allow you to take it to him.
Speaker 2: Let's put this hour in the books and let's look forward to our second hour. Evan McPherson and Orlando Brian. We'll talk Joe Flacco's time here, We'll talk Joe Burrows, perhaps return on Thursday night, and here from Jalen Davis. All of that and our second of three tonight. Thanks for being with us on Bengals Line, the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 9: Pay Corps.
Speaker 1: Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering how best care for the best fans Kettering how official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: All right, let's open up our second of three hours tonight on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty. We're sorting through yesterday at twenty six twenty loss to the Patriots, looking ahead of those Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night and Thanksgiving Football.
Speaker 3: Hey Bengals fans on Fridays, make sure to listen to myself and Dan Horde from Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bear Chicken on the air from three to six pm on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Evan McPherson yesterday sixty three yarder for a franchise record, first Bengal to hit beyond sixty. The previous record was hit sixty or beyond. The previous record was fifty nine. Evan said that in the twenty twenty two opener, and Kate York forgot about him, almost tied it well, kicking in his place during the injury and Dave there are you know, and I'm gonna make the baseball analogy. Tell me if this makes sense. There's that saying with guys like Aaron Judge or Albert Poohols in batting practice. The ball just sounds differently coming off of bat right. I think the same could be said coming off the foot of Evan McPherson. It is it's really something to behold.
Speaker 3: It is lace. I mean, you're right on. It's there's a big, a big analogy there. It's a good one that you're making. When he hits that thing in warm ups even it's like bump man. It's a big old thud and he it does. It catches you if you're daydreaming at all, it'll wake you up. There's no question about that. And the thing about him is his legs strength, it's it's twofold. He can kick for distance. I mean, he can drill the heck out of the football. And he hits the ball when I watch him, watch him a little bit during practices and on the sideline even you know, before game pregame. He hits more toward the middle of the football than down in that lower portion of the football. And of course the ball is you know, oblong, it's a sphere shaped type thing, and he hits it where there's a little bit more leather and a little bit more air. You know, he puts a good pounding on that football. The other thing where he hits it. It amazes me how quickly he gets elevation, how high he gets the football. You know, usually if you hit the thing, the lower you hit it toward the tip the point of the football, the more elevation you're going to get. This guy breaks that rule. Man, He hits it more toward the middle of the football and still gets airborne about as quickly as anybody I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from Muddy Mack. Here's Evan after the game yesterday.
Speaker 4: Evan Pearson made team history today with a sixty three yard field goal. It was the exact set of circumstances that you've talked about before forgetting an opportunity like that. And I don't play of the half sixty plus let a rip.
Speaker 5: From sixty three.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, I felt like I felt like we had a good chance to get a shot there at the end of the half.
Speaker 9: And you never You're never out of it.
Speaker 14: And that's kind of what I learned throughout the years is never take time off, never let your mind wander, because in a blink of an eye, you can be thrown out there for a long field.
Speaker 8: Goal at the end of the half.
Speaker 14: And so I think we did a good job stand in the game and not just looking the foard to halftime, and we executed really well snap hold kick.
Speaker 9: Everybody blocked really well.
Speaker 14: And yeah, you know, it's just a lot of fun to get to go out there and attempt those and I'm just really happy that this one worked out for us.
Speaker 4: There aren't that many members at the sixty yard club in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Maybe all does, and I don't know, but it's not a huge list.
Speaker 4: How significant is it to have that one extra yard from your previous long of fifty nine?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I've always thought about it.
Speaker 14: It would be cool to get one on the other side of the field one day. And you know, I'm just blessed if you putting that situation, that opportunity, that coach just trust me to go out there and make it. And I'm just glad that, you know, they have that.
Speaker 9: Trust in me.
Speaker 4: A little extra special after the sixty seven yarder that was good but didn't count at Green Bank.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, you know, I always enjoy like I feel like my rookieyar. I enjoyed the fifty plus attempts and now it's kind of switched to like sixty plus. It is a lot of fun just go out there and swing away and kind of see what happens. And I feel like when we go out there, we're looked at to make those kicks, and so you know, I felt confident going into it, and with how we've been hitting it in practice and the operation and how everything's going, so it felt good run out would feel for that one.
Speaker 4: The NFL record is sixty eight. Now yeah, how long would that have been good from? But the way you struck that ball, man, I don't we needed the track man. You know how they used to have to set up good from.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I think maybe you got.
Speaker 2: Another five on it or so.
Speaker 14: It's hard to really tell, but uh, i'd say maybe about another five.
Speaker 5: I think you're right. The rights on the record, thank you is that you would as you can hit the ball. Yeah, I hit that one pretty cool.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's probably the best hit of the day, I would say, but yeah, that was kind of like the perfect perfect and it all be the show.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, good reference.
Speaker 11: They had you up on the big book on the video board after they announced the record.
Speaker 8: Were you aware it was a record?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I know. I mean we hit the fifty nine yarder in my second year and that was the record, and them Kaide came in last year and tied it, and I just I was aware that the record was fifty nine and now we just kind of keep from the back.
Speaker 12: I guess because there's something magical about.
Speaker 14: Sixty magical backseat. I mean, it just feels good, honestly, it feels good to get one on the other side of the field, and I think it's impressive when other guys do it. So I'm just happy that I could go out there and do it as well fourteenth time in NFL history.
Speaker 8: From that far away there you go.
Speaker 9: From sixty three or just sixty four, the sixty three all right, you had Tom Dempsey that he was he was.
Speaker 3: The first one.
Speaker 12: Is sixty three auted from the record exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so long before you were born.
Speaker 6: That was very correct.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it has been surpassed, but I mean for a long time, sixty three is kind of the white whale that was the I'm sure when you were growing up that was the mark.
Speaker 9: Is that meaningful, the sixty three in of itself?
Speaker 14: Yeah, No, I mean it's very meaningful because I mean as a kid going through college and high school, like you always dream of those situations and you know, I mean I hit the sixty yarder like in high school and had the state record for a little bit until my little brother broke it. But uh, you always dream of the type of situations just to kind of keep the energy up going to the halftime, you know, get the team rolling a little bit. And I was just I just be really excited to get that opportunity.
Speaker 9: Did you uh knew he was a record?
Speaker 12: Did you talk about it with Kate when he tied it?
Speaker 5: Did you guys talk about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I think I gave him a little bit of grief about it, and like he come in for a few weeks and he tied my my franchise record. But uh no, you know, in the moment, obviously happy for him because you know, I don't rid against any kickers anytime, and I just want everybody to to out there succeed and if that kick game another opportunity on a team, you know, I'd be happy for him.
Speaker 4: So but uh.
Speaker 12: After it was all the other guy with the other guy, Yeah.
Speaker 14: He was just saying obviously congrats, and I think he topped my kick for sure with that last one that he had. I think that that last kick that he had tops my why kick of the half just the the point in the game obviously made a sick point, gave me a touchdown. We couldn't just go down there and kick a long field goal to tight and send it overtime. So I think I think Andy got us right there at the end, and that was really impressive kick by him.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 9: You talked about stand ready all the time.
Speaker 15: When when Chase rips off that twenty one yard run, is that when the juices really start pumping.
Speaker 14: Like we might have a shot at this, you know, it's like, I feel like that's kind of what I struggled with as a rookie is there's twenty seconds left and into the first half, I'm like, oh, there's no way we're gonna kick, and sure enough, you break a long pass, break a long run, and you're up. So I feel like since then, it's just kind of you never take a down off. You know, anything can happen, especially with this offense.
Speaker 15: So you said best kick of the day, Does that include warm ups because you were blasting enough from Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Would say so.
Speaker 14: I think I hit that one probably the cleanest out of any ball all day, and I was hitting it pretty well.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 14: I was happy with the first field goal and the extra points. I thought I hit him well and definitely hit the six three.
Speaker 15: You hit the up right from sixty and warm ups, it looked like that one would have beener from seventy.
Speaker 9: It was way up on right.
Speaker 14: Yep, yeah, going the same way.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So we had a good feeling, like through pregame of what our range was.
Speaker 2: Evan after the record setting day, he matched the legendary Tom Dempsey with a sixty three. A last there's a name blast from the past. No fun intended fourteenth time in NFL history a kicker has hit from sixty or beyond. The Dempsey record stood for forty three years. Wow, Matt Prater got to sixty four yards in twenty thirteen. The record sixty eight by Cam Little just three weeks ago. And the way the kicking game is going, somebody may get yesterday. The way it looked, Evans kick had another four or five yards beyond that, somebody may get Cam Little sixty eight yards before the season's over.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Lance, I mean when he hit that field goal, when it hit the net, it was halfway up the net. You know, it wasn't just barely over the crossbar. He cleared that bad boy easily, easily. So I mean there's more yards left for Evan McPherson to gain, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I had forgotten he hit a sixty earner, he said in high school, and had the state record for a little bit until his little brother broke his record. So clearly the kicking McPherson family the way they booted, and according to the Elias Sports Bureau, McPherson becomes the fourth kicker in history to kick a sixty yarder and a fifty yarder in the same game. And while we're on it, let's give let's give Darren Simmons some credit. Special Teams Unit some credit. Evan went through some stages of his confidence waivered last year. He had gone through an injury. They bring in a new long snapper, and it has certainly all come together to work as a well oiled machine. And he's feeling obviously, Evan is feeling fully confident right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. And Darren Simmons is extremely confident in him. There's no question about that. He just he thinks, you know, it's automatic. I mean, it's money. Mack is as out of because he's ever been around. And Darren Simmons does a hell of a job. I mean, he's the best special teams coach the Bengals I've ever had, and I think he's the best special teams coach in the NFL has ever seen. I think he is extraordinary with what he does. He's kind of on the cutting edge. He's at the forefront of everything. He's not always trying to catch up. He's always the guy that's like, hey, I got something new and different. Let's take a look at this and Moneymack and kickers in general, because Darren was a kicker himself at the collegiate level, so kickers do respond to him, and he knows how to handle kickers. He understands the psyche and psychology a kickers.
Speaker 2: And Dave Sitcha, it can't be understated what a weapon it is to have somebody like may Peerson, who when you're on a drive and can think, right, if we get to you know, the forty, the opponent's forty. I mean, yesterday that hole was on the logo. I mean, it just changes if you're Zach you're play calling late in games where you looking for field goal range compared to a lot of other kickers in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and in my mind, not just Evan, but all the kickers that you referenced, seventy yards is going to happen at some point, somebody's gonna drill a seventy yard field goal and it's like, are you kidding me? Shouldn't they be turned around kicking the other way? They're kicking at the wrong goalpost, aren't they. I mean, it's amazing the range that these kickers have. It really is all right.
Speaker 2: We are up and running in our second hour tonight, let's talk a little O line. We'll hear from Orlando Brown Junior and more in the day for Chase Brown running the football, that is, we continue Bengals line of the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. We're rolling right along on this Monday night talking Bengals on the show we call Bengals on Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Alliance. McAllister. He is Dave Lapham. We've got plenty to sort through between now and nine o'clock tonight. We've worked our way through this Patriots game. We'll eventually get to the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night. Let's not leave out the offensive line. Yeah, yesterday Joe Flacco sack so one time in thirty eight drop backs. On the ground, they rushed for one hundred and twenty yards as a team, five point two yards per carry. Here's Orlando Brown after the game.
Speaker 16: Orlando, obviously, you guys fought really hard, went down to the wire. It seems like every game right now it's going down to the wire. Come up a bit short.
Speaker 17: Yeah, oh man, It's it's tough, you know, I can't say enough great things about the men in here though, you know, to continue to come out here day after day, week after week and continue to fight no matter what the circumstances are. It's unfortunate that, you know, we haven't done enough to win some of these games, but.
Speaker 16: The fight is there when you see the defense do what they've done. There's been so much talk, it seems back and forth. Earlier this season, it was the offense. You get Flacco in there, the offense picks up, the defense flags a bit, and then this week they come up. I think they have nine plays inside the five and they don't let the Patriots score. Obviously had the pick sixth today that you know, they had another goal line stand where they hold them to a field goal to keep it a one possession game. Just their fight and what you saw.
Speaker 17: Yeah, no, man, I think it's always important to keep perspective when we talk about ball, and you know, offensively, you know, obviously we've got a ton of notoriety because of the superstars on our side of the field, but our defensive guys come in and they work hard. You know, coach coach Al and his staff man they work hard. You know, they they love the game, and you know, I'm so happy that they were able to come out here today and make the plays that they made, especially during that goal line red zone situation. Man, it's it's always hard on the defense to do that, and you know, it seems like they did it without blinking. And you know, man, it's unfortunately we didn't go down to score points after that.
Speaker 3: But you know, man, we we're growing.
Speaker 9: We're growing, and to me, that's that's really important.
Speaker 16: It's always tough when you don't have Jamar Chase. Of course, Joe Flacco figured it out at the end. He was starting to get out. You guys are getting into a bit of a rhythm. One thing that stood out to me Chase Brown average five plus yards to carry, one hundred plus yards rushing. You guys have been consistent, it seems like running the ball over the past five or six weeks.
Speaker 17: Yeah, No, we have, man, And that's a testament to you know, our our coaches just putting us in great position, allowing calling the runs. You know what I mean, chaste, making a lot of people miss receivers, blocking man. Running the ball is it is a twelve man effort and that includes a coach, we don't really to play caller. So you know, man, I think all those things have been falling in line for us in that area.
Speaker 16: It's a short week. How do you rebound and get ready for bothim.
Speaker 17: We get some sleep, ready to go kick some masks on Thanksgiving. Man, it's my first time playing on Thanksgiving. We'll be back in Baltimore against a really good Baltimore team. Man, So I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Orlando Brown summon up the afternoon by the O line. What did you make of the performance of the O line as a whole, Dave.
Speaker 3: Well, the numbers you referenced there, Lance averaging five point two or carry and give up one quarterback sack against a Mike Rabel coach defensive football team. That's pretty damn good effort. Yeah, that's a good performance right there. Uh. And I thought that the on the on the edges, I thought the tackle has played one of their best games combined, you know, the tandem, the duo of those two guys. I thought Orlando Brown or Marius men has played at a pretty high level. I thought that they did a good job of keeping Joe Flacco upright and allowing him to throw the football and feel confident he wasn't going to get hit while he was throwing the football. I thought Ted Krris played well inside. You know, he's obviously one of the captains of the football team, a tremendous leader, and he's going to battle you every single snap. And he kept the pocket firm for Joe Flacco to to, you know, climb the pocket if need be. And thought the young guards, you know, Dylan Fairchild, I thought played pretty pretty well. He plays hard man, and you know he's he's a powerful kid. I mean, he's he's got a bright future in the National Football League. He's going to be around a long time. He's not going to be a one hit wonder here for a rookie season and then gone elsewhere in the National Football League. So overall, I thought, probably it was one of the better games, if not the best game that they've had collectively as an offensive line, particularly when you consider it the the defense they played against.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown goes for one hundred and seven on the ground. That's five straight games with at least one hundred yards of one hundred yards from scrimmage, and Dave I would have lost a bet on this. I'm looking this morning there as a team averaging four point four yards of carry. That would be their best season average on the ground since twenty eighteen, when they averaged four point seven, and even our guy Joe Goodbary Bengals on the Brain was pointing out it's the most efficient run game of the Zach Taylor era. It certainly didn't feel like that early in the year, but there's some momentum for how they're running the football now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think Chase Brown has a lot to do with that. I think this kid is the real deal. He's you know, they'd list him at five ten, maybe they list him at two ten. I think he's a little bit more than that. But he has got a low center of gravity. He runs extremely hard. He's very very physical. He doesn't give you any hitting surface. He runs with a body lean, so he really breaks a lot of timeckles. He'll avoid contact. He's very quick. I mean, in a phone booth, it'd be hard to get a finger nail on the guy. And you know, he's a great combination. He also runs good routes and catches the football, does both of those things exceptionally well. Joe Flaco and Joe Burrow love to throw the football to him. When they check it down, they know they're going to get something out of it. You know it's not going to be check it down across your fingers and hope, hope and pray so and then the final thing that he does that Joe Flacco and Joe Burrow appreciate even more so is he'll stick his nose right in the middle of the chest of a linebackground blitz pick up. I mean, he'll like snap their heads, he'll knock them back. He is a football player in every sense of the word.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny to say it that there's one more phase of his game, and I don't know how to put it into proper words, but there's so many times he will bust a nice run of fifteen twenty yards and he's like one one like grab of his shoe away from going. I thought yesterday he was going for seventy or seventy five to the house on to score. But and you think of what it would mean to his yarts per carry average after the twenty yard game if he just gets past that one last grab of his shoe for even more yards.
Speaker 3: Right right, Yeah, he is. He is special. And the thing about him. He's never satisfied now. He always wants to do more. It's like I could have gotten more out of that run. Boy, I appreciate the quarterback throwing me to the football. I get to get more yards for him after catch. He's that type of a player, and you know, and that's a good trait to have. Never be content, never be satisfied, always strive for more.
Speaker 2: When we continue, let's talk a little bit more about Joe Flacco and what he's brought to this team. If it is in fact Joe Burrow who takes over Thursday night and this is it for Joe Flacco for this season, there's a lot of praise to be directed towards Joe Flacco for not just what he's done on the field, but I think off the field. Let's spend some time on that as we continue with Bengals on It the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Hey, let's keep things moving along on this Monday night of Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in ESPN fifteen thirty. Lance but cant Lester Dave Lapham, Let's talk some more Joe Flaccowe hit don't even heard from him a little bit earlier. We'll hear from him later on in our third hour, and we'll talk Joe Burrow in our next segment, And if Joe returns on Thursday night, maybe it's that's it for Joe Flacco. But Dave, I think he's worthy of a segment of discussion of what he's meant to this franchise. I just I keep going back to. I know it's cliche to call him a pros pro, but there is such a wise, veteran presence and perspective that he's lent to this team that I think is in hearing all the guys talk week to week on this show. He just sounds different in his view, like looking down on it as a forty year old, right, looking down on everybody, but just looking at it from the biggest picture that anybody has on the team. There's just a unique positive he brings to this team.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: I'm struggling to put into proper words, but there's just something about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does. He has he has a charisma, you know, I mean, there is there's some kind of a a there's a calm to him. Yeah, oh yeah, Joe Cool and Joe comm. Yeah, Joe borrows Joe Cool, Joe Flacco's Joe comm And I do think those are the two quarterbacks that that'll be the duo, that the tandem next year. And uh and I think Joe Flacco will be okay with that now unless somebody offers him, you know, gobs of money and a starting opportunity. If you're a player in the National Football League, you want to start, you want to be a starting quarterback. But if there's no offers like that out there, Joe flaccol I think that he would be very content being not not content, that's probably the wrong word, but he would appreciate the opportunity to continue to be a part of this organization. He likes this football team a lot. He talks about hanging with the guys and uh and and he that's that's big to him, having that kind of a connection with his teammates. You know, it's playing sports is a unique thing in in that way in terms of bonding with other human beings, bonding with other people, and at the professional level, it's the most unique. I mean, it's crazy.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And to get an opportunity to do it is something that I'll always treasure, There's no question about that. And then to do it for for ten years. I was fortunate enough to do that.
Speaker 5: And and.
Speaker 3: You just you look back on players and you have reunions. You know, you'll get together with teammates five, ten, twenty five years down the road. And Joe Flacco seems to be that kind of guy where he'll he'll want to talk to teammates about what they're doing with their lives and how their lives have gone. And uh, Flaco, he's got five kids, man, he and his wife five young children, so he's got a lot on his plate and and he handles it oh so well. And he's a great example for young players to understand how to be a pros pro. Like you say, do everything you need to get ready to play at the highest level you possibly can on a weekly basis, as well as take care of your family. That's a that's a big burden, that's a big task, and Flacco does pretty flawlessly, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the example part is such a good thing. And I've heard people say and it's weird sometimes because there's so much love and support for Joe Burrow. Sometimes it's taken if you say something positive about Flacco, it's meant as a negative Joe. That's that has nothing to out of that. It's two separate worlds. Joe Flacco can be a great example for how he handles himself in news, the press conferences, in the locker room, and in the game and on the sidelines. That has nothing to do with Joe Burrow. It's just Joe's just very good at that at the whole package. Whether and I'm trying to remember the example now of the moment where it was Yoshi, after Yoshi had had the game with a couple of drops. Yoshi related that that Joe went to him and talked to him after the game and let you know, hang in the you know, paraphrasing, hang in there. You know everybody has days like that. That's part of the quality that makes Joe Flacco valuable to a football team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the stuff that Joe Burrow could learn from him, and not that Joe Burrow doesn't do it already. Joe Burrow, his teammates said that Joe Burrow is great. You know, when you make a crucial mistake that hurts the football team. Joe's Borrow's the first one over there. Hey, forget about it. Let's you know, don't let one bad play turn it to do uh, let's move on from the mistakes and let's go get it done. Let's go win a football game. And that's what Paul Brown was all about, you know, don't let those kind of things linger. And uh and and I and I think Joe Flacco. That's why I think those two is a duo. There's a lot to uh, you know, a lot to be gained by uh, by the two Joe's Joe common, Joe cool as as a tandement as a duo, and they can learn from each other. I mean, Joe Burrow. When Joe Flacco comes off the field, Joe Burrow is the first one there to give him a nugget, you know. And I'm sure Flacco really appreciates it. I'm sure he takes it in the right way. And he's going to be able to do that for Joe Burrow as well when Joe Burrow is back and playing for the Cincinnati Bengals. And I think I think Joe's looking forward to and I think both quarterbacks enjoy that part of it.
Speaker 2: I think if there's there's so many different Joe Flacco moments I'm going to take from this season, but yesterday's the latest. We're talking about a forty year old quarterback who's dealing with at least something in his shoulder, who dislocates his finger, who leaves for one play, who comes back and then throws just one of the prettiest passes in the corner of the end zone to Tinsley, And I'm like, Joe, that would look at that. Look what Joe Flacco just did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's only only a few people walking planet Earth that can do that man, and Joe Flacco he's definitely one of them. He throws it beautiful.
Speaker 2: And Dave had I said when they traded for him. Had We've been sitting here and said, all right, let's say he quarterbacks for the next six games. How about if he completes sixty two percent of it, passes thirteen touchdowns to only four interceptions. We would have thought, WHOA, You're gonna get all of that from the forty year old Joe Flack who just joined this team. And they have and I know it's a bottom line business, and people say they only won one game with him, it's a team game, and he carried himself so well and put up numbers to go with it. I know he had took a sack that took him out of a field goal range yesterday and threw a pick six. He hasn't been perfect, but man, what he's added to this team. It's a pretty nice pickup for a trade midweek for a six round.
Speaker 3: Pick, no question about it. What it would go down as one of the one of the better trades in franchise history, quite honestly. And when you have a quarterback rating in ninety one point four at any age, I'm not talking about you know, forty years old. That's unbelievable at forty years old, but a quarterback rating in ninety one point four is getting it done. And like you said, the touchdown to interception ratio better than three to one, and you know that, and any quarterback I know Kenny Anderson would always want to be at least two to one, and a lot of times he was three to one or better. But that's that's what you're looking for. You're looking for helping the football team as many times as you can and not hurting the football team as many times as you can.
Speaker 2: I would imagine over the years, final thought on the dislocation of the finger, and it was back in place, and he goes in and through it. I would imagine you dislocated a finger or two and you're.
Speaker 3: Yees, absolutely think I think all told, I think I dislocated four the ten. So yeah, popped him. The quicker you pop him back in though, I can tell you this from experience. So quicker you pop back in, the less swelling you get, and less disfigureing you get, so and you know, and you can get some ice on it right away after the game. I'm sure I said. In fact, I saw him before I came in here to work, to work together with you, and I think he was going in to get some treatment and make sure that he's ready to rock and roll, because he threw the ball really well. I mean that ball came off his hand pretty darn well. I think most of the time it was going where he wanted it.
Speaker 2: To take a time out to come back from one quarterback to the other. Let's talk about Joe Burrow in the potential return or all signs pointing to his return on Thursday night. He is Dave Lapham. I'm Lance Pacalister. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. Hey, welcome back to Bengals Line in this Monday night. Thanks for hanging out and tagging along with us as we talk Bengals football each and every Monday night for three rock solid hours. We're making our way through yesterday's twenty six twenty loss to the Patriots. We'll get to those Baltimore Ravens as well. Lance Pacalister, along with Dave Lapham and Dave from one quarterback to the other, Joe Flacco to Joe Burrow. And would be fair to say all signs are pointing to the return of Joe Burrow on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: I would say so, Lance, I would think so. And I know the biggest driver of that is Joe Burrow himself. Joe Burrow is like enough is enough. I can't take it anymore, you know, I just absolutely despise watching my football team that I should be quarterbacking for. Uh go to war without me, go to battle? So I do. I. I think I think Joe Burrow will be at the quarterback position and I think it'll give give the entire you know, franchise a boost, a lift Uh in the offense. Uh, I know we'll we'll feel that. And I know for a fact the offensive line will. He's tight with those guys. He takes care of those guys. Uh. They they want to they want to make sure they take care of him and keep him safe and upright.
Speaker 2: He he's been through a lot, He's rehabbed his tail off to.
Speaker 3: Get to this point.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: The the the debate among fans is why, why with the record the way it is, would you risk Joe Burrow? And I'll go back to it. I'll defer to what Zach said. After the game, winning is important, and they may be three and eight and there may only be six games left and the chances maybe minuscule of making the playoffs. But I always I fall back on players play, and if he's healthy, I understand him playing. Can it be as simple as that that players play? Is there is there any argument to be made where the record is would mean he shouldn't play. I just can't subscribe to that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm in total concert with you. I mean, if he's able to play, he will play. Biggest reason because he wants to play. Desperately wants to play football. He gets paid handsomely to play the game of football. And you know, he knows that the Cincinnati Bengals are a better football team when he's out there playing the quarterback position. So he wants to get out there and make the team hole again. And if you know, if you string together a few wins, man the difference between nine and eight and eight nine could be man a legitimate outside shot at the playoffs as opposed to no shot at the playoffs. So I think Joe Burrow, for many reasons, some that we just talked about, wants to play as many games as he possibly can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and oh here, I hear this refrain a lot from people. They should they should tank and get a better draft pick. And I always say, I haven't played the game obviously, but I always say, how do you think that would play out? If you want a team to tank?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: How do you tell a team to tank? No player is not gonna want to play hard. You can't say all of a sudden, I'm gonna play all the backups and not play any of the starters because we're gonna secretly tank. It just it drives me when people say it like it's something so easily executed and understood by the actual players who would be told or not told, you're gonna be part of a tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there'd be a revolution. I mean, you know, the players, they're be an uprising. The players would be like, I don't want to be part of that, and I'm gonna go public about it. I'm gonna I'm gonna tell everybody that I know and uh and get on the get on my microphone and tell people that you know, Hey, they want us to lose football games. No, you want to You're you're making money. You're you're you're a professional. You're paid to play. You're not paid to lose. You're paid to win football games. You go out there, you suck it up.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: If you if you nicked up, dinged up, you suck it up and you go try to win a football game. And that's uh, that's why you're gonna be invited back the following year. If you don't do that, you're not gonna be around the National Football League very long.
Speaker 2: There's also the idea of if if you were to tell Joe, no, we're not going to play even though you're completely healthy, I would think everybody else in the locker room who's dealing with something a shoulder, a knee, an ankle, who's not feeling very good, Like, what about me? My thought would be, well, wait a minute, you're completely healthy and they're not going to play you. But I'm like barely hanging on here, strapped together with duct tape, with injuries, and I have to go out and play. The optics just don't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm sure that's happened around the league, and I'm sure it's caused problems. It's caused issues. I mean, it could lead to fish. It's the cuffs, man. I mean, you know, it's like these guys are prideful and uh, you know, the the only way that you're evaluated, uh is wins and losses. That's the bottom line. It's like that, that's what you're all about. When you, uh, when you reflect back in your career, you know, you go back, Okay, well, jeezs in the seventies, oh man, we were eleven to three. That was a hell of a football team. Man. We had a good run. We had great players. What what a what a year that was? Oh two and fourteen, Oh Jesus, that was that was horsepucky man. I mean, it's just I can't I can't believe that that we played as poorly as we played. They never saw that coming. That that that's a total shock and embarrassment and we were embarrassment and embarrassment to the entire city.
Speaker 2: One final thought, and this would be perfect for you and I get this A lot the the fan thought of, well, Joe Flacco doesn't get sacked as much because he just gets rid of the ball, and Joe Burrow should do that. We know Joe is about extending plays and trying to create something. Can you is there anything to be drawn from all this? Or or say, did Joe like, hey, maybe try to get throw it away earlier? Can you do that? Or Joe six years into his career? Is is Joe the quarterback?
Speaker 5: He is?
Speaker 2: And you can't change him? Should you try to change him? What do you make of all that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's there's a lot, yeah, but but the bottom line is, you know, you can't really change the way the quarterback wants to play the football game. And Joe, Joe Flacco is not you know, flee to foot now, He's not you know, he's not a stiff. It's not like he can't move. He moves pretty well. And he'll climb the pocket and he'll go side to side and he'll throw the football well. Uh, Joe Burrow, though, when you get him out of pocket, he's a threat. When he tucks it, he's a threat.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: He'll probably run like four or five, you know, and in that range. I'm not sure what he ran coming out of college, but I bet he runs every bit as well as that now, maybe even a little bit better.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 2: And everybody who says that Joe Burrow should give up on a play and just throw it away, they're the same people who praised him when he extended to play and was stepping up in the pocketing diving ahead like Superman and throwing the ball into the endzone for a touchdown. They say, what a play that he extended and made something of. And that's how a lot of plays are made by Joe Burrow extending and buying some extra time to get Jamar Chase and opening her tea and opening.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you what, all the defensive quarters in the National Football League would vote to have Joe Burrow and not run around anymore. And extending create plays because now I was talking to Marvin Lewis about that. He did the game for. I can't remember what network hed he was working with. He was doing color for the football game, and he said, in his mind, that's one of the big things that's a separator in Joe Burrow's favor And he said, it's a defensive coordinator. It's like you can't really scheme for that, you know, That's like that's the intangible, that's the variable that it makes Joe Burrow special.
Speaker 2: Let's take a time out, head down the stretch, final segment of they are here from Jalen Davis on his big day yesterday. He's Dave Lapham, Land McAllister Bengals Line, Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. Down the stretch we go in our second of three big hours tonight. I Bengals one of the Bengals Radio network at ESPN fifteen thirty Lions. But callister Dave Lapham. We talked to defense earlier in Jalen Davis and his big day. Let's hear from Jalen on the day that was against the Patriots.
Speaker 4: Jalen, you moved into the starting line of today. I thought you played a great game. How did you feel about your performance?
Speaker 13: I feel like I played good, but you know, things feel a lot better when you win. So yeah, I played good, but we gotta go back to the droboard get better.
Speaker 5: On Thursday night, let's talk about what the defense did well.
Speaker 4: You held their offense to nineteen points, they scored a defensive touchdown. That's two weeks in a row now where it's been twenty or less. Do you see significant progress on the defensive side.
Speaker 5: Of the ball.
Speaker 13: Oh, I feel like we've been actually getting better every every week. We may getting better, but like I said, we still got a so much more to improve. So we all just gotta, like I said, get back to the von board, look all the mistakes, and just do better than.
Speaker 4: It seemed like the one thing the Patriots did that hurts you guys was find their kite ends over the middle of the field. Anything stand out from your perspective on those plays?
Speaker 12: Not that I can say right now.
Speaker 13: I just have to look at the film again and then go from there.
Speaker 4: Got to pick six defensive score from Geno Stone and gave the team a ten to nothing lead.
Speaker 5: What was your view of that play.
Speaker 9: Oh, it was turned up.
Speaker 12: You know what I'm saying, Boy, gotta pick six. There's none better than that.
Speaker 13: But like I said, we just gotta keep their foot on the next and don't let them in the next lether time.
Speaker 4: Guys gotta stop late in the game to give the offensive chance to pull it out. I mean, the Patriots did score three, but they weren't able to score a touchdown to pull away. Is that progress because there have been some games this year where you needed to get that stop late and couldn't quite do it.
Speaker 13: Proads for sure, but that's not the standard, the standards to not even give up three. So, like I said, gotta go back to the dramare and just get better, get better.
Speaker 5: How much did you enjoy having this opportunity today?
Speaker 13: I met everything so mean, man, I ain't been out there in a very long time, so I appreciate my brother's always holding me down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Jalen, congrats and a great game.
Speaker 9: Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: That's Jalen Davis.
Speaker 2: Jayalen Davis on his Afternoon We mentioned it earlier, taking advantage of our opportunities promoted from the practice squad plugged in and results that'll that'll give him some confidence and continue to give coaches confidence. At eight, he's earned some more opportunities.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean, you see a guy that his path to the National Football League was a difficult one. You know, he wasn't the star you know at every level. Oh, I shouldn't say that. He was probably hell of a player at high school, college levels, but you know, the superstar kind of guy, the immediate Hall of Fame or the Pro Bowl kind of guy. He's not that type of player. But when the coaches put him out there and he makes plays, they start to gain confidence in him, and he starts to gain confidence. It's in his own ability to go out. It's like I knew I could do this at the NFL level. I just needed a shot. I needed an opportunity. I needed somebody to give me the chance. And the Cincinnati Bengals organization and Al Golden they're giving me the chance. They're giving the opportunity, and they're rewarding me. So I'm going to reward them.
Speaker 2: Two hours in the books, Hang Tight. More from Zach Taylor, more from Joe Flacco. We'll hear fun facts with Dylan Fairchaw. Look at those Baltimore Ravens and more. Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 6: Pay Corps.
Speaker 9: Pay Corps is proud to.
Speaker 1: Be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering how best Care for the best fans Kettering hew official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: Hey, here we go underway in our big hour tonight of Bengals Line and the Bengals Ready Network in ESPN fifteen thirty. I'm Lance Bacallister.
Speaker 3: He is Dave Leppo, Yes, Sir Lance, and Bengals Friday Night Stripes Tours presented by a hole Kat and it's back for more for all locations this season. Go to Bengals dot Com slash community.
Speaker 2: Twenty six twenty the final Yesterday the Baltimore Ravens. Next up on Thursday. Here's Zach after the game on what transpired and what's ahead on Thursday night.
Speaker 8: Fight.
Speaker 6: Well, the fight, I mean, it is what it is. We're we don't we want to we don't appreciate losing. It's it's an awful feeling, sick. But our guys they just keep showing up. Man, they keep they keep doing a great job during the course of the week, keep practicing their tails off. They're giving everything they can on the field. We just came up short. You saw a different gait. You saw guys that have played all year force. You said, guys that came in there and got their first opportunities, Guys that came in there on a one play notice, and guys kept fighting, and we thought we were gonna win the game, and we came up short. And it's it's a sickening feeling. We can't question the fight for one second, and at some point that's gonna pay off for us.
Speaker 18: So to your decision as to why Joe burrow.
Speaker 6: Him to start, we'll see. I'm not going to declare anything for Thursday, yet, I thought he put himself in a great position to be ready to play this weekend, and the best decision for us was was to wait a couple more days. How's tea, Zach, He's in concussion protocol t Taj Taj Brooks, Marker got a hamstring and Flacco had a issue with his finger on staring.
Speaker 8: Hand dislocated, popped back in.
Speaker 6: I don't remember that's what That's what it sounded like at the time. I can't remember what the trainer storm. How do you feel like he played overall to FO Yeah, I think he continues to just fight for us, man and give us a chance and him and him and a lot of other guys in all three phases today, I thought he just kept fighting for us and he gave us chance to at the end of the game. He plays through a lot of pa and just keeps keeps giving us a chance to win. We just we just haven't able to do as team yet. What did you see defensively from alcol They felt like crazy. I mean they a lot of different ways. They didn't didn't allow things to be easy for New England, kept finding them in the goal line stands. I think representing who these guys are right now, just just keep coming back. Got a penalty first and goal on the one. Kept fighting got to stop and there's a lot of trust, you know when they keep playing that way. You know, I factor then the fourth and one. You know, we didn't go for fourth and one kind of in our own field position. I think we're on the minus forty, and like we could pin them down in there and get a stop and get the ball back right where we just kicked it from. And so again, I thought those guys fought for us, got to turn over a pick six, gave us some moment ium early in the game, and just keep leaving those guys. They're gonna keep fighting for us and finding away.
Speaker 12: In the game.
Speaker 8: You're out there trying to come back. No Jamar, no Ti, no, no Joe Burrow.
Speaker 11: Obviously, I mean, how does that challenge as it change the way you approached the call?
Speaker 8: How you do a driveway?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just a lot of credit to those guys out there, because those personnel groupings aren't things that we've ever operated out of before. And so guys just understand what position they're playing, who's in the game, Concepts that most of those guys have not worked all week, at least at the position they were probably playing. At the end of the game, I thought the coaches did a great job on the sidelines, the position coaches getting trying to cover every base. I mean, we have to cover the last plays on the move there AND's had the thirty yard line with guys that none of those guys have been in that position before, and so you still felt we were going to find a way. I mean, he's he takes an alert to Niche for a touchdown, you know, and that's that's the kind of game it was where guys just kept stepping up and you kept believing that that eventually we're going to find a way to win it. And just came up Cobo short.
Speaker 3: Oh what do you feel like kept the passing gave him?
Speaker 6: I think you got to give credits a New England. First of all, they're a well coached group. They play hard, they keep trying to keep you off balanced as much as they can, so you got to give them credit. And you know, there was some opportunit. I felt like there was a drive there in the second quarter. Some penalties just just bid us where I felt like we're getting some good momentum and then ended up having a punt. So just I don't think there's one thing you can put your finger on that that limited a rhythm. I do think you got to give a New England a lot of credit for that, and we just got to find a way to do a better job on the other side.
Speaker 8: What you see out of Jayalen Davis today, his first game up since.
Speaker 6: The nothing that surprised me. That's JD. I mean, JD has had an unbelievable attitude every day he's been this building. He's a fan favorite in the locker room because he just competes. He loves football. He embraces whatever role there's a scout team player on the practice, whatever it is, and then it's his opportunity. Hasn't playing a game all season and goes out there and and fights like crazy, you know, and gets a sack and doing a great job fit in the run game, draws a holding penalty on a run play, you know. So there there's a lot to love about JD. And I thought he stepped in there and did a nice shout for us, the same thing I'm just saying, you know, these guys are they're they're working, it's important to them. They're not giving up on each other. They keep trying to find a way to win. Just been in one of those years where we just we haven't found a way at the end of the game, and that's been frustrating. It's frustrating for everybody. But guys aren't losing hope. It's important to everybody to just keep at this thing and find a way to get someonement hum here. And it's gonna start with one win, and we just haven't foind a way to get that in a while since that Thursday night game, and that's disappointing. He is frustrating, his heartbreaking. I feel for these guys because they're giving us everything that we ask him to give us during the course of the week and out there on Sunday, and she just got to find a way to win, so we can remember what that feels like.
Speaker 16: We about Gino still multiple times just for him to plan the way he did today.
Speaker 6: Really excited to see that. You know, it's especially the turnover early in the game. Finish it in the end zone, something we've been talking about like crazy. It's going to come to us. We got to finish it in the end zone. We got to finish through the back of the end line. All the things that we've been talking about.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 6: And again, he's just he's one of those guys gonna keep fighting for us and and find a way to find a win here. At some point at three and eight, what are y'all building wellment him for to just find a win.
Speaker 2: What do you what have you appreciated the most about the way flackloes balot this.
Speaker 6: Maybe, I mean you just you can't put into words. You know, he didn't owe anything of this team. He just showed up, you know, and so he could take the easy way out and nurse and injury and say, you know, I need more rest and all that stuff, and he has. He just keeps walking on the field and pops his finger out and whatever happened there, I'm hurting your throwing hands. Not easy, you know, to go out there and push through that. And Chake's response, he goes out, there's one pass for fifteen yards with not a moment's notice.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 6: Just a lot of examples the guys just just wanting to do whatever it takes to find a win.
Speaker 16: To call a pass there with Jake coming in, I'm gonna have to run.
Speaker 3: And grab his helmet.
Speaker 6: There wasn't there wasn't a lot of choice there. I mean, we were we were down two scores, I think at that moment when Jake did it, and Jake went in there and did a great job, bought some time, found the backside crosser big completion. Appreciate that.
Speaker 7: What's that You've seen a lot of big kicks from having right before halftime sixty three yard or a new franchise record your thoughts on how it come out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's in a great rhythm, has a lot of confidence. I think the operation has been really good, and so we have a lot of confidence in him. So it's not surprising, you know too, for him to take that opportunity that was the sixty three yards really didn't didn't bat an eye at it. I double checked it Darren, just to make sure we're in good shape there. He didn't hesitate, and then once we line up for the kick, you just assume what's going on. That's the point you're at with Evan right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so Mitch's ketch on Flimm said the impression of the catch, and then I guess they.
Speaker 3: Wanted to get the.
Speaker 6: That was the one right in front of me at our sideline. Yeah yeah, I mean just just you know, layered it right over the I think it was a nickel right there. Mitch did a great job securing it out of bounds. They didn't touch them, so they end up putting the time back on the clock. But it's it's a big moment for us, you know, fourth down and got to make a play and happy that it stepped up for us.
Speaker 2: What's probably the most frustrating thing about not being able to get more winds with the stint with flaccoing.
Speaker 6: That is the most frustrating thing. Losing. Losing is the worst. I mean it's the worst and you were accountable for it. We were. We make all the adjustments we've got to make, and then you got to turn the page and you gotta get ready for the next week. That's that's life in the NFL. We're gotta get ready for Thursday. So not a lot of time to sit here and.
Speaker 8: Do.
Speaker 6: We just got to move forward and we got to go back to work and I know these guys are gonna do that, and we got to do it great energy and belief that we're gonna walk on that field and go find a win on Thursday night on the road. And that's that's what we're gonna set forth to do and start tomorrow morning with.
Speaker 3: A situation when you know who's starting today.
Speaker 6: Flat do on front. You know on Friday was started.
Speaker 14: Exactly he going down when he did lay in the game Uh, we're obviously going a short week now and this pops up.
Speaker 7: That's big questions there in the last couple of minutes, is that I feel like reassurance just for the passing game overall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought a lot of guys stepped up, you know, so again they they've shown that we should have confidence and then you know, and I think that's just what's been built up over there with with a lot of the skill players on offenses, as you put them in, you expect them to make a play, and then they keep showing up for us.
Speaker 18: With the lost today, I'm Tripp's question is surprised you. There'll be a lot of talk externally about why the organization feels that it's in the best interested Joe if you do decide to play him, communities to address what what you guys are factoring.
Speaker 2: In the pit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, winning is important. We want to win, and Joe gives us a great chance to win. And again Flacco has has given us every every opportunity. We haven't lost games because of Joe Flacco. He's gone out there and give us everything and he understands that. That being said, Walls will be excited to watch Joe Burrow. We all have Joe Brown now for six years and see the things he can do as well. And so again it's it's he's worked really hard to get himself back. He's a football player. He wants to play football. We want to win football games, and so that will lead into that decision.
Speaker 2: Zach Taylor after the game yesterday, Dave, if there were one play I'd like to go back and I could rewrite or recall. And it's been to bug me for a while. The third and one from the forty five, and they they have Joe Flacco throws leading to fourth and one. There was a delay a game. They wound up putting on a as soon as Joe Flacco dropped on third and one to throw, and I'm screaming, they're averaging five yards of carriages. Run the ball and move the chains to keep the drive going. And it's didn't happen just bumping that one, my man. I just as soon as he dropped back, I screamed, like it's slow motion.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am with you. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Call me old school. The third and one run the damn football.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, every once in a while, yeah, play action pass, you know, particularly get your running game established, your running game going, you know, trying to throw it over their heads and make a huge play, a difference maker in the course of the football game. But I mean, nine times out of ten third and one, run the football, get a fresh set of downs, do more damage, probe a little bit, find out what the defense is trying to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it's not like they were if they were struggling to run. Maybe you could debate it. And I know he believed in his defense at that point. He said, I know the defense is playing well, but your average in five yards a pop, and you just need one on third and one.
Speaker 3: And I'll guarantee you Mike Vrabel can count on one hand the number of times his team gave up five and a half yards of carry in a game for the entire football game. I mean, that's that's a heck of an accomplishment. And man, on third and one, do what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Well that game. I one more to wrap up the segment, what did you make after seeing the Patriots first hand? They're a team that there's a lot of debate, and actually they haven't played the toughest of schedules. I get that, but they've won nine in the row. They're ten and two, and you referenced last week, there's not a lot of like Pro Bowlers or big names that jump out. They almost feel like one of those, greater than the some of their parts and taking on the personality their coach and go and doing more than you would think they'd be able to do.
Speaker 3: I think you hit on it right there, Lance, I think they are taking on the personality of Mike Vrabel. Mike Vrabel was an extremely high football IQ player. I mean gifted physically, big, you know, broad shalden, big outside linebacker, the rush guy for Ohio State, and I mean he trans translated well to the National Football League and Bill Belichick. I'm sure Mike Vrabel even learned more football. I mean he got his master's and doctorate from from Bill Belichick playing for him for the number of years that he did. But you know, I think that that the New England Patriots are a viable playoff team. I mean they shoot there. They're the best team in the AFC right now, you know, so you've got to give them their props. You gotta give them their just due. And the Bengals hung right with them. I mean it wasn't like they didn't belong on that same football. Yeah.
Speaker 2: More ahead, We'll hear a little bit more from Joe Flacco up next as we continue on with Bengals line at the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. We are rolling right along in this Monday night three big hours of Bengals on and the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen three Cincinnati Sports Station.
Speaker 3: Hey, Bengals fans, make sure to catch me and Dan Horde every Wednesday of this season for Bengals Game Plan presented by Bud Light on the air from six to eight pm on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Here's more from Joe Flacco yesterday again one hundred and eighty three yards through the air, the touchdown, and the thoughts on yesterday and the thoughts on what might be ahead with the potential return of Joe Burrow on Thursday night. Here is Joe Flacco.
Speaker 18: I just want to follow up on what you were saying about how it's your job to get ready. Is it hard to deal with the situation you're going to for the next whether it's a few days or two leaves in the storyline, about what you joke, go back in that if you do end up being his backup whenever he comes.
Speaker 3: Like you didn't lose your job because of the.
Speaker 6: Results, saying like you're playing really well or or you're not a part.
Speaker 8: Like does it make it that much harder to accept?
Speaker 3: Or like what's this like for you? Behind the scenes?
Speaker 7: I think as a competitor, you're always want to be out there on the field. I mean, this is what I live to do, is go out in that field and play football. But at the same time, I feel really fortunate to have kind of found myself in this situation. As much as I would have loved to see us win games, I still have had a lot of fun here with these guys in the locker room. Going out lacing them up with these guys has been a lot of fun. And I've felt right home and have had a blast doing it. And I don't think I really am looking anything past that. You know, I get it, I get how certain feelings could be involved with this, but in this case, it's you know, it's easy for me to kind of put those aside and just look at the positives of the whole thing, and you know, and be excited for another teammate trying to work his way back. So it might sound like crap and like I'm lying, And yeah, there is a tough part of not being out there.
Speaker 8: There always is.
Speaker 7: But I feel like I've put my head down and worked hard the last however long it's been, and I've had a lot of fun with these guys, and it's always it's always, I don't know, it's just always, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I keep saying fun, but I want to say something else.
Speaker 7: But when you're in there with guys and you make relationships with them, and you're out there battling on the field with them and you can look each other in the eyes and know that you've been doing out the right way, then you really can't worry about the other things.
Speaker 8: You just are going out there playing and let the rest of it take care of yourself. Is that I think That's what I think.
Speaker 7: That's ultimately kind of the secret in terms of like playing football is like you want things right, you want things to happen, but there's got to be a piece that lets it happen.
Speaker 8: You know, you can't force things, and you can't try to. You know, you just can't.
Speaker 7: And I think as you get older and the more you play and the more you just experience everything, you realize that you know, you get you gain a little bit of perspective and you realize and then and then there's times in the moment where you still want to try to do too much or whatever it is, and worry about what's happening at the end. But I think the more you do it, you do find out that the secret is to just go out there and do what you love to do to the best of your ability and let the things fall in place. And I think if you get a collective group of guys doing that, then you have then you have what you want.
Speaker 11: Two quick things, just to circle back on the game real quick, is the lack of rhythm maybe affect how you see the field?
Speaker 6: Is that is that is there a correlationship probably how you saw today the rhythm.
Speaker 7: No, I mean it's it's you know, it's good defense and maybe not as good of offense as we would like. And that's what good teams do. Like even like today, it didn't feel like anything crazy, but it was harder because they just are good at what they do and they make it tough for you to complete underneath passes. You know, there's times where you drop the ball down underneath and you get twenty five yard games and stuff like that. And these guys, because they they're able to rally the ball and do things like that, they make it. They make those things hard. They're not going to give you anything, and listen, this is the type of games. This is the type of game it ends up being when you put when you go against good teams, it's twenty six to twenty and you have a chance to win. It's kind of how we felt like the game against Pittsburgh should have probably went last week, but we made mistakes. Obviously we did make a mistake in this game, but ultimately we didn't.
Speaker 8: We kept the game within striking distance and we just weren't able to get it done.
Speaker 16: Again, it's tefinitely going going back to the win, one questioning was going, what's it?
Speaker 6: What was it like kind of walking off? What was running through your mind as you walked off the field.
Speaker 3: At the end of that one? What were you thinking about?
Speaker 7: I don't know, the same thing you're probably always thinking when you know you come up a little short, you're just a little bit you know, you're thinking about what you could have done on the last couple of plays and can't wait to go look at it and maybe see what you could have done and beat yourself up about it a little bit.
Speaker 6: The same as always your feel like tomorrow compared to thirty one.
Speaker 8: I think playing quarterback, it's always week to week.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you get really beat up and sometimes you play really physical games and other times you don't. And I really don't think because I'm forty, I feel different waking up. I mean, everybody always says that you know, once you hit thirty or once you hit forty, wait till you get out of bed and this happens. Yeah, I have to stay on top of things more. But in terms of waking up and how my body, how my body reacts, I'm so much better at taking care of myself and like and actually doing the things to prepare your body for success than I was when I was twenty five years old. So I think the if there is any drop off at forty, it just it makes up that you're a little bit more aware of how of how to do things.
Speaker 3: So how often do you get to top your finger?
Speaker 9: Is that common when you have to do that mid game before or.
Speaker 8: Is that I've never I've never done that. I've never had to do it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I didn't feel like much.
Speaker 8: I mean I didn't know I did it until I looked.
Speaker 7: Down at it, and then I came over and Matt just popped it in, you know, popped it back into place, and then it was just like, Okay, I can throw.
Speaker 3: Yeah there you go.
Speaker 11: Serious?
Speaker 3: What that first throw?
Speaker 9: I was going to feel like after you popped it back in?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 7: I threw a couple of balls in the sideline and Jake did a good job completed the ball, and you know, but I didn't want.
Speaker 8: To let him have too much fun out there.
Speaker 2: So Flaco after the game, and I want to go back to something you said because I think it makes so much sense. In twenty twenty six, Joe Flacco will be forty one in January. Could there be a team that offers him a starting job? Maybe not likely. So if you're if you're Joe Flacco and you like being here and you could be the backup to Joe Burrow and make a nice amount of money in a system you're comfortable in. He'd be an awfully nice insurance policy for this football team to have as the backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: No question, man. I mean that whatever premium they're paying, it's worth. Yes, Joe Flacco as the backup quarterback. And I do think that he's got a lot of respect for for what Zach Taylor's mentality is from an offensive standpoint. I think he realizes that Zach Taylor is an offensive guy as such and understands the game. I think he likes Dan Pitcher. I think he likes all the offensive coaches. I think he thinks they're young, very exciting and intelligent guys to be around. So and I think he and Joe Burrow have right away established a bond that is is significant. I think Joe Flacco could do a lot worse than come back and be a member of the Cincinnati Bengals. Up next, Dylan Fairchild the subject of fantastic fun Facts.
Speaker 2: We love fun facts, just Dan Horde. We'll hear that next Bengals on in the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station. We continue on this Monday night Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network. Lance Bacaviister Dave Lapham.
Speaker 3: Last pay Court is proud to be the official hr, software provider of the Cincinnati Bengal.
Speaker 2: Each week we take a listen to Dan Hord's Fantastic Fun Facts, a chance to go behind the scenes, pull the curtain back and learn more about a Bengal player beyond just the player in him. And this week the subject the spotlight on Dylan Fairchild. Here is Fantastic Fun Facts.
Speaker 1: No fantastic fun facts with Dan Ord.
Speaker 4: Time for some fun facts with offensive lineman Dylan Fairchild from Coming, Georgia, about forty minutes north of Atlanta, the birthplace of country music stars Zach Brown, among others. Your excellence as a high school wrestler is a big part of your bio. It's a sport that's not for everybody. Why did you enjoy it so much?
Speaker 9: I just love the grit. You know, it's a gritty sport. It's a difficult thing to do. I didn't love it every day, but some of those days I remember, like I, you know, there were Sundays. Every Sunday my dad would take me to go to my gym and wrestle, and just I that was one of those days. We're growing up, like I didn't really want to go on Sunday, But now that I look back, I realized, like those sundays were obviously we're playing athletics on Sundays now, so you know, like it. I think that kind of just like put discipline into me even more, because you know, there's nothing better than just sitting at home chilling on Sunday, but when you're over there grinding and stuff like it just really put me, put some core values in my in my brain and in my body, and just you know, helped me develop as a person the most.
Speaker 4: You were an undefeated state champion as a junior and as a senior. What was your fastest pin?
Speaker 9: Oh gosh, I don't even know. I think it was like four seconds. This guy like he just rolled over. I was like, are you serious?
Speaker 3: No, it was it was.
Speaker 9: It was pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: I was shocked.
Speaker 9: I didn't even like he just immediately shook hands and basically laid down. I was like, Wow, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: Be nice if defensive lineman did that, No, that'd be great.
Speaker 9: He's so great.
Speaker 4: On the flip side, did anybody give you a really good match in those last two years?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, there was a couple of great guys. There's a kid from Central I ends up forgetting his name central Verscyth. It's a really tough kid, like impossible to try to turn and pin. My hardest match ever was a kid named Tamari Fox. He went to un C North Carolina and played I believe DN there and it was just a stud athlete like he gave me, by far, the hardest match I remember walking away from. I ended up losing. I walked away and I wasn't even upset because I just I gave everything I had. I threw up profusely in the bathroom and was like, I knew I emptied the tank. So that was by far, Like that was one of my most thrilling matches, even though I lost, So it was just fun. Sounds like something you grew from. Absolutely Yeah, No, I knew, like I've been training for him for months and months and months at a time. And after the match, I mean I was gonna be so I pre pre match and pre tournament. It was a state tournament, so I was like, I wanted to win really bad, and I thought I'd be really upset, but I wasn't because I knew like I had given everything and I learned a lesson that day, Like when you give everything you've got, like it's everything you got, you know, so win or lose, you at least can go to sleep knowing everything you gave everything you had to try to get a win, you know that day. So sometimes it just doesn't turn out in your favor.
Speaker 4: We're chatting a Dylan Fairchild. You're from Georgia and you went to Georgia. You played at the University of Was that the dream growing up?
Speaker 9: I think so? Yeah, I think so. I knew I honestly, like, I didn't know what I was gonna do. I thought I was going to wrestle for a long time. Then I thought I was gonna play football, Then I thought I was gonna wrestle. Like I was kind of back and forth. But as always a Georgia fan. I was always watching those national championships when they were in it, and just somehow it pulls through. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna talk about it, but no, but I was definitely a Georgia fan my whole life. My dad raised me a Georgia fan. We always pulled for the dogs, and I just knew that was the place to go.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: It was the hardest place I could possibly go to other than one more and I'm not gonna mention it happens to be our neighbor. But you know, those two programs are by far the best programs you know at the time, and we're the toughest programs, had the best recruits.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 9: But it was a no brainer for me. If I was gonna challenge myself, that's the place to do it.
Speaker 4: We learned from your college teammate of Marius Mims, that your nickname at Georgia was Pickle. What is the origin story of the pickle nickname?
Speaker 9: Mimmes was the one who started it. I don't even know. I think I honestly couldn't tell you. I have no idea. I think Memes this one day said it and it just stuck, and then all the boys, all the guys started calling calling me Pickle, and it just we just wrote it out from there on.
Speaker 3: And that was it.
Speaker 4: Since Mimes is in the building here, has that nickname migrated to Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: It has with Memes. Yeah, I think I'll always be Pickled to Memes. But I don't think some of these older guys are going to buy into that.
Speaker 4: You're a twenty two year old rookie and a married man. You got married about a month before the NFL draft. Why did you and Elizabeth decide to get married at such an early age.
Speaker 9: I think it's just the way I grew up. My parents were divorced, and I just I love God and I love her, and I knew that she has led me to success in ways that you know, it's hard for me to you know, reciprocate, and like she's just given me a piece to be able to come here every single day and do my job and fully focus on my job. And that's really what I want, you know. And I love her the most out of any you know, anything and anyone other than the Lord above. And I knew that we were going to pursue, continue to pursue God, and continue to pursu to each other. So there was really no questions, you know, there was just that The answer was we wanted to get married, and it was quick. It was a free wedding, so we actually didn't go like we didn't e lope, but it wasn't like a full wedding, so it was It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 9: I'm glad that we did it. She's glad we did it, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Speaker 4: We're chatting with Dylan Fairchild. So a month after that, really big day came the other one when you were selected in the third round by the Bengals in this year's draft. Describe that entire day. I know, it can be really stressful leading up to getting the phone call from Zach Taylor.
Speaker 9: No, it was extremely stressful.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 9: I was really The third round was where we were helping me, my agent, just my whole family. You know, obviously you want to continue to do better and better, but you know, that was where we had hopefully predicted where I would go, and I did not know it would be at Cincinnati. I had no idea. This was one of the last places I had on my mind of where I thought I would be too. I just we had a couple of meetings, but it just wasn't, you know, like it wasn't just it wasn't what I thought, you know, And so there were some picks, you know, at some times where they slipped by and I was like, oh, you know, we may be waiting another day, and then my friend started ringing, and it just the whole day, it was just like that was probably the most stressed out I think I've ever been, because there was nothing, nothing I could do. Nothing's in your control, you know, like it's all in God's hands, it's all in the coach's hands, in the in the owner's hands. So there's nothing that you can really do about it besides just sit and wait. And that feeling is kind of scary, you know, you just sitting there waiting to get a phone call. But and when I did, I I couldn't even believe it. Like I just answered the phone and I felt so robotic. I was like hello, you know, and so it was it was really a huge blessing, and like I just, you know, I was so shocked and just couldn't believe it. And I was just immediately so blessed. And you know, you're nervous, is you don't, you know, you'd love to be anywhere on any NFL team, But it's scary, you know, growing up in Georgia. Going to Georgia, you could move literally completely across the entire country, coast to coast. So it's really cool being like I'm still on the East coast, just being close to home, like it's a seven hour drive, which is and I love the drive too, so it was really awesome to just it's a huge blessing, you know, it was immediate blessing. Just my whole family and my mom started crying. It was awesome. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: We're having this visit about midway through your rookie year. How would you describe your first NFL season to day?
Speaker 9: I'm just trying to be a sponge, you know, and just absorb, absorb, absorb all the information and knowledge I can and then on Sunday, just letting it fly, you know, just letting it go. Treating every day as if I have nothing to lose, you know, and that's the only way I know how to do it, and just going you know, the balls of the wall. There's no other way to put it. It's just hard every day, you know, just go hard every day. And yeah, that's really all I It's all I do is I try to look forward every single day all right.
Speaker 4: Time for a few wild card topics now with Dylan Fairchild, who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 9: And why, I'd probably have to say Nate Dia is my favorite. Yeah, you know, I don't I don't know if you know, is that like a UFC guy fighter? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he uh, he's just a dog like he's not He's just one of those guys. It's like he doesn't ever stop, Like he just doesn't quit ever. You know, they say Nate Diez doesn't lose fights. He just runs out of time, you know. Like he he's just one of those guys that nobody wants to fight because he's just a dog, like he has no inch of care in his body and he's willing to put it all out there on the line every time. And I feel the same way. You know, I don't think i'd do what he does. But he's a little he's just a couple of steps above us. But he's probably my favorite guy that I look to. Is just like inspiration. Like when things don't go well, Like he's a nasty dude, you know, and things don't go well for him, you know, it might be vulgar, but he gives him the middle finger and like he just keeps going, you know. And that's that's the way my father raised me. That's the way that I've I've been you know, taught my whole life. And I just love he embodies that. So he's probably my favorite for sure.
Speaker 4: Final fun fact for Dylan Fairchild. This one's a little bit deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 9: I go Jesus, Absolutely, yeah, no, I would. I'd love to meet Jesus. Hopefully That's where I'm going, you know, one day. But that was absolutely who I would go to meet for sure.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: I try to root myself in that and just ground myself no matter what happens, good or bad, and just live live that life, you know, and I do a better job talking about it than being about it, you know, just being honest with you and fall short like everybody else. But again, like I just try to live with that that type of love you know, in my heart and just love and forget people. And that's just again like my wife does an amazing job of just bringing me back to that base level every day.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: She's absolutely the reason that I was brought back to the Lord and she's my rock. And so yeah, no it it'd be Jesus for sure.
Speaker 5: This has been fun.
Speaker 4: Really appreciate your time, best of luck the rest of the year.
Speaker 9: Fair Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Dylan Fairchild with Dan Horde. More of that and more Bengals stuff on the Bengals Booth podcast if you want to catch up there. Up next, let's talk about those Baltimore Ravens. Next in the sights of the Bengals on Thursday night, as we roll on with Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station. We are a cruise and right along this Monday night of Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and ESPN fifteen thirty. Dave, always time for our final card.
Speaker 3: Of the absolutely Lance and as we all know, Alta Fiber is the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of the Bengals and Greater Cincinnati's fastest Internet with up to two gig symmetrical speeds.
Speaker 2: All right, Next up those Baltimore Ravens. Thursday night in Baltimore, Ravens started one in five. They're now six and five. They've won five straight, beat the Jets yesterday twenty three to ten, and Dave, the thing that jumps out immediately about what they have done during this turnaround. They're playing much better defense. In their first five games, they gave up one hundred and seventy seven points. Yeah, the most in a five game sequence in the history of the franchise. They were given up thirty five points a game. But in the last six they've held each opponent under twenty points. They've allowed seventeen, sixteen, six, nineteen, sixteen, fifteen. They have gotten that defense in order.
Speaker 3: They certainly have. And as you said, in the beginning of the season, they gave forty one to Buffalo, Oh, they gave up forty one to Cleveland. He give up thirty eight to Detroit, thirty seven of Kansas City, forty forty Houston Man. The Rams game was seventeen to three, and then they went on their five game They lost that Rams game, then they went on their five game winning streak. So, I mean, the defense has really turned it around and they're playing much like the defense that John Harbaugh was expecting. And they've they've got players. I mean, there's there's no question about it. You look at every level or layer of the of the defense. They've they've got players. Brent Urban is a good defensive end, good rush guy. Rookie Mike Green is making some noise, Rokwan Smith at middle linebacker, Kyle van Noy at a strong side outside backer, Kyle Hamilton at the strong safety position is a crazy athlete, Marlon Humphrey at corner. They've got players on that defensive football team and it is amazing to me that they were given up thirty five games. Yeah, for the first six games of the season. It's nuts.
Speaker 2: On the other side of Lamar Jackson has dealt with a lot of injuries throughout the season. They're they're winning with the defense and a run game. I saw a note this morning. Lamar has gone three straight games without throwing for two hundred yards, first time that's happened in five years. And he's gone back to back games without throwing a touchdown, the first time that's happened in six years. But when you have somebody like Derreck Henry, you can tote the ball at four point seven yards at carry and is really tough to tackle, you've you've got a chance. And he's he's rolling like, oh, he never gets old. It seems he just keeps rolling right along.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. And the guy his size, he is a physical specimen, there's no question about it. And they're one of the only teams in the NFL that still run a true fullback offensively, and Patrick Ricard who can. He's very versatile, he can play both ways. He gets them some defensive snaps at defensive tackle, so he's he's an unbelievable football player. Mark Andrews at tight end is a force. You know, they say Flowers at the receiver position can can take it deep for shot Bateman or rookie is playing well for them. But I do think I think it's gonna come down to who runs the ball best in this football game. I think both defenses are going to really try to, you know, stack the line of scrimmage to stop the running game. And who's going to be able to solve that equation?
Speaker 2: We were talking off air. I looked at the weather forecast this morning for Thursday in Baltimore. I saw at night thirty two degrees windy with gusting wins up to twenty five miles an hour. If that doesn't screen me better run the football.
Speaker 3: I don't know what does. Yeah, absolutely, particularly that win, you know, I mean thirty two that's chilli. Yeah. But players, you know, the players can handle freezing temperature, literally freezing at thirty two degrees on the thermometer. But man that win twenty five miles an hour. That's a stiff Reezon now that will that'll move the football around on you a little bit. Boy.
Speaker 2: In the two names you mentioned offensively, Derrick Henry, we've mentioned Bengals gotta tackle better. He better tackle Derek Henry out in trouble covering the tight end. Better cover Andrews, who haves He has five touchdowns, He's second on the team in touchdowns this year, to go with his thirty three catches.
Speaker 3: And he's been a Bengal killer. Yes, he has hurt the Bengals multiple times. I mean, I will tell you that there's no question Marvin lewis just. I mean, he respected the Baltimore Ravens. But the guy that hurt him and gave him tremendous headaches of Mark Andrews.
Speaker 2: Let's take our final time out. When we continue, Dave tomorrow. Could he a significant day for our guy? Ken Anderson is the next step in the cutdown to the Hall of Fame. Let's talk about that as we continue. He's Dave Lapham, I'm Lance, but callister. It's Bengals on on the Bengals Radio Network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports station. All right, down there we go, final segment of the night on the show We Call Bengals on and the Bengals Radio Network in ESPN fifteen thirty on Lance Bacallister, He is Dave Lapham and Tomorrow a significant day. Nine individuals have reached the semi finalist stage in the seniors category for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of twenty twenty six. They started at one hundred and eighty two nominees. They're down to nine semi finalists.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Blue Ribbon Committee meets tomorrow Tuesday to determine three former players who become finalist for the new class, and that will be unveiled early in December. The nine semi finalists at this point Roger Craig, Henry Ellard, L. C. Greenwood, Joe Jacobi, Eddie Medder, Stanley Morgan, Steve Tasker, Otis Taylor, and our guy Kenny Anderson is one more cutdown away from advancing to the finals for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Big day tomorrow. Best of luck to Kenny, Best to luck to Kenny and all. Though those guys were great football players, but they didn't play quarterback. Ken Anderson played quarterback the.
Speaker 3: Most important position in all of sports, not just football, I mean all of sports. That's what's being said by everybody that follows sports these days. And Kenny Anderson played it so well. I'll tell you what. Bill Walsh was amazed when he went up to Tiny Augustan and worked out Kenny Anderson. And I remember him coming back saying that the report that he filed, I saw a copy of it. Mike Brown, let me read the copy of it. How accurate he said. This kid throws the football as accurately as I have ever seen. He should be a first round pick, but he might be there in rounds two and three, and we got to be ready to pull the trigger. Man, oh man.
Speaker 2: I don't know who makes up the Blue Ribbon committee that is making this final decision. I just I feel sometimes that I'd like to take some voters who might be on a younger side and drop him into football in the seventies and eighties and understand the way the game was played then compared to now. I understand just how good Kenny. Kenny would have been good in any era. But just I don't want him short changed because the numbers may be different than a than a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton, somebody from this era, right, It just it should translate better in the understanding of just how damn good Kenny was.
Speaker 3: I mean, nowadays, throw the ball forty times game is? You know, no big deal. Back in the day, I mean it was. If you throw it twenty five times, that was a lot. Forty times was unheard of, maybe in overtime or double overtime for something. But and and Kenny put up big, big numbers, you know, throwing it twenty five times a game. I'm telling you, if you were playing in today's era, he would be rewriting the record book for attempts, completions, yards, touchdowns, you name it. Kenny Anderson would have all the records across the board.
Speaker 2: One name that also popped out on this list. To me to ask you about when I say L. C. Green, what do you think of?
Speaker 3: Tell me about it?
Speaker 2: Sorry to bring up bad memories day, Tell me memories of Greenwood.
Speaker 3: I think of the steel curtain defense and automatically, boy, but automatically comes right right in my face, slaps me away. I'm telling you. And of course I played against Joe Green. Joe Green was the guy that I had to try to block in the steel curtain defense. But I played right next to Vernon Suckie Holland and Sukie and Elsie Greenwood had some battles.
Speaker 17: Man.
Speaker 3: Elsie was tall, but he was long, long arms, long legs, big feet, big hands. He was very unusual. It looked like you could have played in the NBA. He was built like that, but a sturdy you know, like a very physical NBA type player, very strong guy. You know, he worked in the weight room to put on good, good muscle mass and did a hell of a job of it. But boy, I'll tell you what those steel curtain defenses in Elsie Greenwood, man, I'll tell you they they could They could play. They played the game, They played the game the right way, and they played it hard.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing that jumps out of else Greenwood. And we talk a lot about identifying talent and how good Paul Brown was. Yeah, and you look at the Steelers' ability to identify Elsie Greenwood was a tenth round pick out of Arkansas Pine Bluff who winds up with seventy eight career sacks, six time pro bowler, and just that eye for talent. In being able to scour and find it anywhere around the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Chuck Nole, who played for Paul Brown with the Cleveland Browns, he was a messenger guard, so he knew great interior or he knew great offensive or defensive lineman, interior or exterier. And I'm sure he gave the thumbs up the AOK to draft Elsie Greenwood, particularly in the tenth round. Man, that's unbelievable for a guy of that talent to last until the tenth round.
Speaker 2: That happened sometimes, Yep, no doubt. And again, those nine are all have outstanding resume. Steve Tasker arguably the greatest special teamers of all time. Jo Jacobe a heck of an offensive line rocker, Craig dual threat thousand yards receiving thousand yard rushing in the same season for the Niners.
Speaker 3: That's nuts.
Speaker 2: But man, just our fingers are crossed. And we're thinking about Kenny tomorrow as they cut it down to three finalists. And here's to Kenny Anderson being one of those final three.
Speaker 3: Best The luck, my friend, You've earned it, you deserve.
Speaker 2: It, absolutely all right. We are out of time. We'll be back at you one week from tonight, Thanksgiving in Baltimore. For will it be crab cakes for Thanksgiving? Or will it be turkey for things? How about turkey for Thanksgiving? Dave with a side of crab cakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe a little crab cake advertiser, and then just kill the turkey man. Just worked that bird hard.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, Happy Thanksgiving to you and to you and to everybody listening. And we'll catch you one from tonight. Sound like a plan.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a big time plan. Sir.
Speaker 2: He's Dave Lapham, I'm Lance Pacalister. This has been Bengals Line on the Bengals or Radio network at ESPN fifteen thirty Cincinnati Sports Station.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 8: The pay Corps.
Speaker 1: Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Ulti Viper Aulti Viper the official WiFi and Internet provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the fest Bengals coverage.