Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: What's up? Welcome in, James Repene in Frolance Acholic. So this is Sports Talk on seven hundred wl W. So excited to be here on Christmas Eve. Shout out to tearin Bland for producing today's show, and shout out to you. I really hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas season, a wonderful holiday season, and obviously a happy New Year. And really really grateful and thankful to be here and to be talking with you on these airwaves on seven hundred WLW and the iHeartRadio app. I'm James Orpene. If you don't know me, why cover the Bengals every single day Bengals Talk dot com. You could check us out there and certainly check out all of our content on the YouTube channel Cincinnati Bengals Talk as well, and that's where we're going to start today's show. It is with the Bengals and anytime I anytime I'm on these airwaves, I tried to share thoughts about the Bengals that you might not have heard from Lance, or might not heard from Moe down the Hall or Toty from down the Hall. And I was in Miami for the game on Sunday, and I watched Joe Burrow do what he did, complete twenty five of thirty two passes for three hundred and nine yards, four touchdowns, have a one forty six point five passer rating, the second best of his career. And to me, it was a reminder, ladies and gentlemen, we look a lot of times during the holiday season for a reminder of, oh, well, why you should cherish these moments or these times, and when it comes to football, and this has nothing to do with the holiday season, but when it comes to football, the ultimate goal is to what to win a championship. And I can for sure tell you that every team that doesn't have a Joe Burrow feels like they are nineteen thousand, five hundred and fifty two but jillion miles away from winning a championship. But if you have a Josh Allen or a Patrick Mahomes or a Joe Burrow, you feel like you're close, You feel like you have a chance, you feel like there's a real shot at doing just that, of getting to the mountaintop. And that's what Sunday reminded me, because Joe Burrow played well, but the Dolphins just never had a chance. There was never a moment in that game, even when it was fourteen to ten where I thought that Quin Yours and the Dolphins were gonna beat Joe Burrow in the Bengals. And so you're like, James, what does that mean? What are you say? I'm saying that it doesn't need to be rocket science for the Bengals this offseason. It doesn't need to be so hard, and it feels like they're really really far away. But when you have Joe Burrow, you're born on third base. You have a shot to completely revamp things very very quickly. And I know Bengals ownership has really done the opposite of going all in. They've tried to build this sustainable winner. They've tried, They've tried to do this thing where they ah, we're going to try to keep ourselves in the mix for as long as possible. And that sounds good, But when you have Joe Burrow, it needs to be about Joe Burrow. When you have Joe Burrow, it needs to be about Joe Burrow in building around him and putting the team around him that can contend year in and year out. How do you get there year in and year out? Because when I look at this and I think about Joe Burrow, and I think about how they're four and two with Joe Burrow at quarterback this season, I think, man, oh man, if you had just been slightly under five hundred without him, they were one and eight without him, it had been four and five without Joe Burrow, things feel, look and are so much different. And you're right there, You're in the hunt. You feel like you could go to Buffalo and win. You feel like that you're competing with the Steelers for the division crown right now, and that's who's more than likely he's going to win it. But they weren't built correctly, they weren't coached correctly. There were mistakes all around, and it's unacceptable. That's what the reminder was for me the other day watching Joe Burrow pass the twenty thousand yard mark, fifth fastest in NFL history to do so, third fastest in NFL history to throw for one hundred and fifty touchdowns. He's had one hundred and fifty two touchdowns. The time is now, not later.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I wrote a book about the Bengals. A lot of you have probably followed the Cincinnati Bengals for your entire life. By the way, you can get it at Cincinnati Bengals book dot com. It's called Enter the Jungle wherever books are sold. This Bengals franchise has never had a quarterback like Joe Burrow and gone all in on winning, and they need to do that. The time is now to do that. Teams that have gone all in and I say that in quotes like the Los Angeles Rams, guess what they've rebounded from their all in mode and they're still good. You can be sustainable. This is the Joe Burrow era where every year you should be winning eleven, twelve, thirteen games, not six, not seven, not five and ten, five and ten? When will we be great again? Like that's their slow this year. That can't be unacceptable. And so this holiday season, this Christmas season, when we're all spreading cheer and we should be the thing that I want to spread. The message I want to send when it comes to the Cincinnati Bengals is that this is not rocket science. You can fix it. You can be a Super Bowl contender a year from now. And when I'm on these airwaves next to Christmas Eve filling in for Lance McAllister on Sports Talk. We can be talking about man, oh man, they have a real shot out winning a Super Bowl. That's the standard. Everything else is hogwash, everything else is a failure. It comes up short. The standard is really really high because of who you have the Miami Dolphins. James are pen in for Lance McAllister today, Merry Christmas. The Miami Dolphins would trade their entire roster in multiple years, of their entire drafts to get Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow, Jamar, Chase T Higgins. We're gonna hear from Tiggins coming up. You have all these pieces in their prime. You have to take advantage of it. You have to. And so for me, Sunday was a reminder of that. Oh man, Joe's on the field with those weapons. Good luck, good luck. You got a young, feisty defense that has some real proven pieces. And that's what they need to add this offseason, real proven pieces. That's it. It's on ownership to do that. And I don't want to hear a lot of you will probably thinking, oh, well, Joe makes this amount of money or Jamar or t and they shouldn't have paid this guy that they have plenty of money.
Speaker 3: Plenty of money.
Speaker 2: They have plenty of money and plenty of cash. I hear that a lot o the Bengals owners. They don't have as much cash. There's a salary cap, plenty of cash. They have plenty of cash, plenty of ways they can maximize the cap. They don't. They don't do that, and they should to the Joe Burrow era, Failing in this era and not winning a Super Bowl is far worse than having one year or two years where you're in cap purgatory where your salary cap is preventing you from doing what you want to do. Down the line. You got to get a super Bowl, you gotta win the championship. You gotta be willing to push the chips in. And that's what's scary now because they're committed to Zach Taylor, they're committed to this coaching staff, they're committed to this front office. And so if that's the case, then what's going to change. What needs to change is their desire to go all in on winning and that is the standard. They need to be active in free agency, There's no doubt about it. And by active, I mean active like they were in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty when Joe Burrow was on his rookie deal and then they got cold feet in two a little bit if they were able to get a couple of linemen. But you could see the feet getting colder as we got closer to Joe Burrow's extension, and those those feet are frozen right now, even though those temperatures outside are mighty mighty nice for this time of year in the Queen City. I'm James or Peen in for Lance. This is Sports Talk. We're just getting started. You can tweet me on x at James or Peen. Also check out all of my Bengals coverage Bengals talk dot com. Really happy to be with you here on Christmas Eve plenty to discuss We're gonna hear from Zach Taylor, T Higgins, some of my conversation with Tony Pike, and much much more. We are just getting started here on a Christmas Eve edition of Sports Talk. I'm James or Peen. Thanks for joining us right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Thank Scott's flowing here with a quick reminder for you. If you missed part of my show, you can still listen to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app and hear what you missed. Heaven only knows why you missed part of my show, and I don't I suppose legit reasons like sell new a coma or you had to run to the store for emergency grapes, you know whatever. Just be sure to hit up my podcast and let me know you care.
Speaker 5: Celebrate the holidays with Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey. Friday is by one three Friday with five dollar drafts one dollar pop born in three dollars Burgers. Saturday features two dollars an those beatless license hit New Year's Eve. It's a six pm buck drop and indoor fireworks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Tickets now at Cycloneshockey dot com.
Speaker 6: Every business has an ambition PayPal open is.
Speaker 2: The play with you till nine o'clock here on seven hundred a W LW. Goodna. Hear from Zach Taylor coming up in just a few minutes here this hour, and we really appreciate you being here. Stay safe, enjoy the holiday, and boil boy, what a season is it has been for the Cincinnati Bengals. I got to be honest, ladies and gentlemen, if you would have told me that I'd be sitting in this chair with Taron bland producing and keeping us in line here on seven hundred WLWU with Tarren blanda on Christmas Eve in that this team would be five and ten. The Cincinnati Bengals would be five and ten. If you would have told me that during training camp, when I was talking with Scott Sloan or any number of times I'm on with Rocky obviously Sterling show I'm on with him, or if I'm on down the hall, or if I'm on with Lance, whatever the case is, talking Bengals, if you would have told me that, I would have laughed at you, like so much so that even if you had told me Joe Burrow misses nine games, I still wouldn't have thought they'd be five and ten. And that's what's for me so disappointing is this franchise needs to be able to build an average team without Joe Burrow, because an average team without Joe Burrow is a true Super Bowl contender with him, and instead they're like that. One of the nf eose worst teams without Joe Burrow, I mean, one in eight tied the NFL for the worst record during that stretch. With the Titans and the Arizona Cardinals also went one and eight during the stretch that nine games without Joe Burrow. That should be impossible. And so when I think about this team and I'm gonna we're gonna hear from Joe Burrow in just a minute, I just think, how can you get to a place where you're capable of figuring this out, capable of making it work without Joe If he does miss a few games, like next year, if he misses four games, that shouldn't derail the season. They should be able to go two and two or better. And it's it's wild to me as I start to reflect on this year, like how in the hell do you go one in eight without Joe Burrow? And you could dissect the games and say, oh, well, they should have beat the Jets, or this defense should have done that, or Jake Browning should have done that. Absolutely, there's no doubt. But it's unacceptable when it can't happen again. And so whatever they need to do on defense they better do, which is address all three levels. Whatever they need to do on offense, maybe have a backup quarterback that they know, not confident in, that they know can come in and be a guy that can run their offense at a high level. Whatever the case is, you have to do it. And maybe that means bringing Joe Flacco back. I would love it. Maybe it's saying, hey, Phil Rivers, who look good Monday night? I mean the dude throwing it to my guy, Alec Pierce, shout out the University of Cincinnati bearcatz Alum. He's about to get paid this offseason, but Philip Rivers looking productive like fine, I don't care if he's fifty two years old. Find a competent backup quarterback. And so that's another thing this offseason because the last thing I want to be doing, honestly, and I did this. I was in Miami. Joe Burrow complete seventy eight percent of his passes, throws for three hundred yards. That's all these franchise marx in personal best, twenty thousand yards, career milestones, one hundred and fifty passing touchdowns. And after the game I have to ask him about fun. I don't want to do that. Here's what Joe Burrow said after the game. How much fun?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: I'm having fun playing football. Not playing football is not fun And you're sitting in a locker room rehabit all day. That's and that's not why you do it. This is why you do it right here. This is why you do it right here. That entire postgame conversation that he had with us in Miami has posted on my YouTube channel, Cincinnati Bengals Talk. Please subscribe. The reason why that's so noteworthy to me twofold, there's a lot of narratives about Joe Burrow. The one was that the Andrew Luck narrative, which I've always I've always shot down and I think I've thought it was hogwashed. And I heard it probably three or four years ago. Early on. I'm like, no, Joe loves football. And it was a national person talking to me and he was like, yeah, but so did Andrew Luck. And I was like, no, no, no, Like, Joe is obsessed with football. I can't imagine Joe Burrow without football right now, can't imagine it. And so when I look at that and I think of it, like what what this team is and and what they should be with Joe, I think, all right, they they have a dude that is dedicated, that is committed, that is going to do everything he can to win and so put him in position to do that. And a lot of people are going to say, oh, he's got to stay healthy, and I agree, but he's had some freak injuries, and you need to be in position to overcome those freak injuries if you're the Bengals. Again, I'm not saying they need to be to build a Super Bowl contender in a team that will contend for a Super Bowl if Joe Burrow's hurt, But can you overcome a few games, like, for example, let's just say the Bengals were ten and four right now, right are eleven and four? Excuse me? Could they sustain Let's say Joe got nicked up and they've clinched a playoff spot, but they're battling for playoff positioning. Could they win down the stretch here with Joe Flacco? Well, I thought they could beat the Jets with Joe Flacco. I thought they'd be able to beat the Bears potentially with Joe Flacco. I thought they'd be able to maybe sweep the Steelers with Joe Flacco. None of those things happened. They want one in eight without Joe Burrow. They won one game with Joe Flacco. That's unacceptable. And I'm not blaming Joe by the way. I'm just saying, like the way the team is built, the way they're constructed, the way everything has gone, they need to be able to sustain a reasonable product on the field. And when you look at it, let's say they were eleven and four and Joe was nicked up and Joe Burrow couldn't play, and you have to turn to the other Joe. Would you be confident that they're going to handle business and get to thirteen and four. I would not based on what I've seen. So what needs to be fixed. I think the defense certainly needs to be fixed. I think Zach Taylor needs to coach better down the stretch of these games, make better decisions, and there are a multitude of those. Like the Jets game, I get it, the defense fell apart. I think there are coaches in the NFL that still find a way to win that game. And that's what's tough is that's when the season really went off the rails the Bengals. It felt like we're about to get to four and four and instead where three and five and facing a must win against Chicago. They rally but lose a heartbreaker in that state, it feels like the season's over. And that's what's tough. It's a really tough situation when you're the Bengals and you put yourself in that spot. And when I think of this year, that's the area where they had a chance, had a chance to make a run, didn't happen, a chance to really go for it didn't happen, and it's unfortunate, but that's the reality they face. And so when I think of this team, where they're at and what they need to do moving forward, it's very very simple. Build a quality team without Joe Burrow, a team that can go eight to nine, nine and eight without Joe Burrow, because if you do that, guess what you're going to go like fifteen and two with him, and you're going to be the best team in the NFL. And he is that special. He is, and that's why there's so much drama and national narratives and discussion and all those things. Everyone wants them because if you have a guy like that, you always have a chance. And the Bengals have a chance. And going back to what I said fifteen minutes ago, it's time to go all in you're the Bengals. As we wrap up this and celebrate Christmas and get into the new year. Here, it's time to go all in. Put those chips in on Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and the twenty twenty six Cincinnati Bengals. I'm James Earpene. This is Sports Talk. Thank you so much for being here. We're gonna hear from Zach Taylor on the other side of the break, and uh yeah, Merry Christmas. I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas Eve and certainly going into Christmas Day as well. Excited to be here with you until nine o'clock. In for Lance McAllister. I'm James Earpene, and this is Sports Talk on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: News, Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: Around the world, Christmas Eve service is taking place with the seven thirty report. I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now.
Speaker 3: In Rome. Tonight.
Speaker 8: Polp Leo, the fourteenth, leading his first Christmas Mass, has ponted from Saint Patrick's from Saint Peter's Basilica in New York. Saint Patrick's Cathedral expected to be packed as it marks the final midnight mass for Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who will soon retire having reached theh of seventy five, which is the mandatory retirement age in the Catholic Church. Cardinal Dolan served in New York's nearly three million Catholics for sixteen years. Tickets for in high demand for the service made available through a lottery system among those expected to attend the mass outgoing New York City Mayor Eric Adams.
Speaker 3: Now, the latest.
Speaker 8: Trafficking weather together is still seeing the exit ram closed southbound off to westbound I seventy four due to an earlier accident. The right lane of the highway also blocked by the ramp.
Speaker 3: Now, the latest forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred wl W I will.
Speaker 9: Dip down into the upper forties, but by the time most of us wake up Christmas morning will be well into the fifties. Scattered rain also likely to night into Christmas morning, but it looks like the second half of the day will be dryer, although still gloomy with some mist and drizzle. High's near fifty nine degrees heading into Friday morning, we'll cool off to forty six from your severe weather station I'm nine First Warning metro Oblogius, Mark Stents News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Fairs guys in forty four degrees news a service of aulta Fiber. A crash late this morning in Sycamore Township near Keimwood Town Center leaves one person dead and another critically injured. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office was called out around eleven o'clock to the intersection of Montgomery and Galberth Roads. They say the twenty eight year old Connor Walshley was driving at a highbrid to speed of Montgomery when he clipped another vehicle on Galbert that sent him off the road, hitting a curb, and then his vehicle became airborne, striking several trees and two utility poles. He and a passenger had to be extricated from the vehicle. Walshley died from his injuries while the passenger was taken to UC Medical Center. Montgomery rode between Gilbert and Coogler Mills still shut down, expected to be reopened around eleven o'clock tonight as Duke Energy and Ulti Fiber replace and rewire utility poles. A woman shot and killed at a senior living facility too, saying Walnut Hills has been identified. Cincinnati Police sat evening around six point thirty responded to the Park Eden building on Park Avenue where a thirty one year old to Kiamac Hollum is found dead in a hallway. There's been no information from police about a suspect as their investigation continues. This does mark the second shooting scene at the Park Union building within a week. The Cincinnati Cyclones in ECCHL could go on strike after Christmas.
Speaker 10: The Professional Hockey Players Association has announced Tuesday they've served the ECHL a strike notice, effective for Friday. PHPA executive director Brian Ramsey accuses the league of ongoing unfair labor practices and unlawful and corrosive conduct, forcing the strike. If the ECHL and the PHPA can't reach an agreement, games on the twenty six and onwards will be postponed. The Cyclones are scheduled to host the Kalamazoo Wings this Friday and Saturday night, and Hockey Night in Cincinnati is slated for December twenty seventh. I'm Ley Mawen News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Aren't acceptedd today o'clock.
Speaker 8: I'm Sean Gallagher News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: News Radio seven hundred WLW and Iheartradios Guarantee Human seven hundred WLW, HI Hard Radio.
Speaker 3: Looking for a memorable.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to sports talk. I'm James Rpaine and this is seven hundred w l W Merry Christmas Eve in for Lance McAllister, and I think it's time to have a discussion about Zach Taylor. We're gonna hear from Zach Taylor in just a second. I think it's tough. It's tough when you understand the human side of things to a degree, and Zach obviously has a high leverage position. And I'm not going to, especially on Christmas Eve, talk about job security or whether he should be here or not be here. I know everybody has strong opinions about that, and there's a time and place for it. I'm not sure Christmas Eve is that time. I will say this, and I'm gonna play what Zach Taylor had to say on Monday after the game, some injury stuff, obviously health updates, the insight he had on T Higgins. I think it's important for you everyone to hear that as T Higgins made it through concussion protocol. But the end of what Zach had to say I think is really really important too. So this is it's about seven minutes. It's Zach Taylor on Monday, and let's get to that and then we'll react to what he said at the end of his Monday news conference. James Arpine in for a lance, here's Zach Taylor for Monday.
Speaker 12: You know, we've always wanted to be a relentless defense, something where the effort flies off the tape and you see guys forming the ball. So I think those are things. When I watched the tape yesterday is you see everyone in the picture, everyone after first contact trying to get in the mix, make sure the ball carry gets down. They got the one run on us. That was a big run, and you can't excuse that because we got to get him on the ground. We had opportunities to do it, could have knocked it down. We didn't. This court touchdown. But you look at the mixture runs after that, and they're tough. They scheme your runs up, they give you a lot of different looks, a ton of different personnel groupings. I thought our defense did a great job getting that run game settled down. And minimized toward the second half. You know, you got to make them throw the football and we were able to get the ball off of them that way. So just overall really impressed with the growth of our defense and how these guys are responded. They understand the scheme, the communication has been really good, and again you know, taking the ball off the people, you know, so there's that confidence to scoring there as well, And so it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 13: That's a line a pretty good game yesterday and starts of containing the run between the tackles.
Speaker 12: Doing a great job, playing with their hands, understanding the techniques for asking them to play and and so again you're just seeing guys grow. A ton of guys grow. Getting Tamar back was fun to watch yesterday. I thought Cedric played a good game yesterday. Miles continues just to just have a really good season right now with where he's at, and so again it's just and there's as I'm not even naming, you know, I thought everybody played really well yesterday. So just fun group to watch them continue to grow and as sand and that's all we're asking for them right now is just get better every single week and minimize your mistakes and we're seeing that from those guys.
Speaker 14: Think Higgins said he saw specials to go when you go to see Thursday morning, okay, and kind of what what led to y'all come to that conclusion and saying, hey, I still have this shut down and kind of walk us through that cross.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that it was the doctors, you know, I think just making sure tea in conjunction with our doctors, just making sure you got that final checkpoint there to make sure we're seeing everything. And the clearance was appropriate. I think with the two issues he's had, you know, that was the appropriate way to do it.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 12: Getting out there quite really was. It was a bang bang Thursday morning, got out there, got back before I wasn't expecting about practice, and there he just walks in the door, you know, right after stretch. So that was I think it's good for him to hear that too. He could probably answer that better than I can, but we just want to make sure we were doing right by him. If he's going to go out there and play that everybody feels good about it. He feels good about it, family feels good about it. And he went out there and to my eye, felt really good.
Speaker 14: Clear Saturday and Sunday morning in order to finally have agree.
Speaker 12: I don't know what the final hurd it was. I mean I felt good Friday. I wasn't gonna tell everybody that, but you know, it's it's kind of nice for you to have te Higgins walk on the field Sunday morning when no one's exactly sure if he's going to play.
Speaker 7: I knew he was going to play at that point, but.
Speaker 12: You know, so it's good to get tea back out there, and I know we got a lot of confidence when he's out there.
Speaker 15: Jalen Davis in November camp, Tilbert gets hurt. You were going young in a lot of different positions. You had young corners, and obviously it's worked out with Jalen. What made Jalen the guy that you wanted to put in the lineup when you looked at your options.
Speaker 12: At that He's always he's always been a dependable guy. We've seen it for him in training camp, for preseason games, and the opportunity he's gotten over the years, you know, to play in a real game and uh.
Speaker 7: You know, just tremendous locker room guy.
Speaker 12: I think he's he's a fan favorite in the locker room, tremendous energy, just does what it takes to win and help our team, whether that's been as a practice squad player, bringing energy every single day and being consistent and being ready when his numbers called, and so then his numbers finally called in November. He just goes out there and just plays with a ton of confidence, a ton of awareness, great communication skills, leadership on defense, has an act for making plays on the ball, has an act for pressuring. A lot of similarities Mike Hilton, you know, and whether that's because they were together for a long time, and that's a huge compliment, you know, because Mike obviously had tremendous career, and so JD's out there doing his own thing and really just happy to see him take on that role and do it with a ton of confidence and make a lot a place for us and have a lot of success.
Speaker 7: He's earned that hard. You describe Fairchild's rookie.
Speaker 12: Good, you know, I think he's playing between Orlando and Ted has been a really good for him. Played with really good physicality, and you know, seeing a lot of stuff over the course of this season, being able to be available and and I you know, really I think he's got a really high ceiling and and you know I felt the line as a whole. You know, we're talking about Maricus, we're talking about Dylan. I've just had a ton of confidence all year. You know, whatever we're calling that there's gonna be great protection for quarterbacks. That the run game. You know we're gonna have success in our runs that we're calling. And so just you know, that speaks to Dylan, that speaks to the whole group. I just as a head coach, as a play caller, have a lot of confidence in the unit.
Speaker 13: How much do you like watching so Tay that duo blocked head and Dylan had We're smashes touchdown.
Speaker 12: H It's great, and it's you know when you get a drive mull Over drives. The second half started around midfield, which was was just great. But you know, you hit them in the past game and you kind of got teams on their heels, and then you get to hit them on two runs as you get lower in there and scored on two runs. You know from you know, inside the fifteen, inside the five. It's good because now you know you're having a lot of success in the past game. So they got to respect that, and then you know you hit them with with some of the runs we hit them on and the guys are able to come off the ball and drive them off the ball, and it's it's that's a great way to finish drives.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 16: When it's a season that hasn't gone well for you guys, there's a lot of talk about a meaningless season, but for you, you look at a different as a coach, I know, where do you see the most growth on a team even though this season hasn't been great.
Speaker 12: Well, I think we've played a lot of young guys, you know, and these guys have just gotten better and better, and so our future is really right that way that.
Speaker 7: Every player, you.
Speaker 12: Know, first, second, third year player, I really feel like has made huge strides this season as they've gotten more reps and more opportunity. And so we have a lot of confidence in those guys. And then and then you blend it with the veterans that we've got that are playing at a high level. So I feel really good about the direction this team. And and you know, it's all we can control is this week we got Arizona. This week, we got to put our best at four. Forget about what's going on around us. Just focus on great game plan, having a great week of practice. Winning the game went in two games in a row. The feeling we had in the locker room responding with another way to win back to back games is all we can control right now. Okay, you know, I know Jay Morrison and his family are dealing with something tough right now.
Speaker 7: Jays, as you all know, one of the greatest guys in this business.
Speaker 12: So thought some prayers with him and his family, and I hate that he's got to go through that, but I know we're all here for so I just want to make sure he knows that his family knows that.
Speaker 2: That last bit is the most important bit there of information. I thought it was so so classy of Zach Taylor to say that about Jay Morrison and his wife Nikki, And really, ever since I heard the news, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and love Jay obviously. I've worked with Jay for many, many years and I consider him a great friend. And it's it's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking because it's rare to see a couple that you know just fits and works perfectly, and so when tragedy happens like this, and and for those of you that don't know, Nicky Morrison passed away earlier this week, really suddenly during a procedure that that went wrong. And it's not something that anyone anticipated, expected or could have thought was coming. And so when something sudden like this happens, you know, you you reflect. And and the thing that I continue to go back to is what Jay and Nicky had. You could see was so special from the moment that you talk to Jay about anything, any of his hobbies, any any thing. And they were just a perfect couple that that supported each other and loved each other. And this is it's just awful, awful news. And some things in life you can't explain why, and it's really hard to understand the why with with something like this. So love Jay, love Nikki. We're thinking about the entire Morrison family. But I thought it was really really classy of Zach Taylor to to say that at the end. And that's why I mean, he talked today, but that's why I wanted to to play what he said Monday in its entirety. I thought there were some key nuggets in there about t Higgins and other things like that, plus what he said about Jay and his family. So obviously we're thinking about the Morrisons during this time, and Jay, we we love you for sure. It's it's something that I can't stop thinking about, and I'm not going to stop thinking about. So make sure that you give Jay your well wishes this holiday season and the tire Morrison family and we will we will continue the show coming up next. James R. Pain Infra Lance This is seven hundred Wow.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy that center on his play to keep the Holidays gender neutral. Snowballs will now be called snow spheres.
Speaker 2: Just at Yi.
Speaker 1: I'm with almost time for Christmas Day, Christmas Spirit, We're full of it.
Speaker 3: Seven hundred WL Jobistmas Day.
Speaker 17: Rapid Radios are instant push to talk walkie talkies offering national LTE coverage and no subscription. Ever, business owners can now keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time. Go to Rapid Radios dot com now for up to sixty percent off and free shipping.
Speaker 3: Do you own a small business? A seismic shift is coming. It's time to get super sure coming soon.
Speaker 6: Every business has an ambition. PayPal Open is the platform designed to help you grow into yours with business loans so you can expand and access to hundreds of millions of PayPal customers worldwide. And your customers can pay all the ways they want with PayPal, Venmo, pay Later, and all major cards, so you can focus on scaling up when it's time to get growing. There's one platform for all business PayPal Open Grow today at paypalopen dot com. Loan subject to approval and available locations.
Speaker 3: At Dorothy Lane. Market Quality is our foundation and you'll see that in.
Speaker 2: Well w It's great to be here. Really appreciate each and every one of you for listening at this holiday season. And if you're looking for more on the Bengals, and obviously that's what I'm known for, make sure you check out Bengals Talk dot com, Cincinnati Bengalstock on YouTube, the Lockdown Bengals podcast. But let's dive in here because I think one thing that I, for lack of a better term, love is seeing star players fight, battle, compete, eat the edge. What drives them all of those things and a guy like T Higgins, like we've talked a lot about Joe Burrow and should he shut it down? Should he not? You know, there's been so much discussion there, but a guy like T Higgins, that dude could have easily shut it down this season and no one would have blamed him, No one would have questioned it. Everyone would have said yeah to you, like do it. And instead this guy is battling, doing everything he can to get back on the field, going to see a specialist in Pittsburgh. He suffered a concussion a month ago now against the Patriots a little over a month ago and missus a game. Comes back after that Thursday game, comes back the following week and plays great against the Bills, gets concussed in that game and doesn't have symptoms or at least passes protocol and doesn't have symptoms to get yanked out of the game until after and goes back into protocol after the game. This is the second Ravens game, and to me, it's cool is the wrong word. But I just think he deserves praise or fighting the way he has to get back on the field. And what we should hear from T Higgins. This is what he said to me after the game in the locker room in Miami, after having a great game including a thirty five yard catch and outstanding touchdown grab his tenth of the season, which ties a career high like t is a problem on the field, and that's a great thing for the Cincinnati Bengals. Here's what T. Higgins had to say after the game.
Speaker 18: Now, it was fun, you know, just get back there and compete with my guys and then it's even better. We got a W.
Speaker 2: The W that we got too.
Speaker 18: So you know, shout out to my guys.
Speaker 19: When you're on the flight to and from Pittsburgh, what's going through your head?
Speaker 3: Like, what's that like?
Speaker 18: Honestly, you know, praying that I know I come back with come here and get positive news, to come back with positive news to tell the team and things like that, and that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Your racking or I mean I.
Speaker 18: Was very you know, obviously I was very anxious and nervous, you know to what they was gonna say. But you know, I got a peace of mind and it was okay.
Speaker 19: Changes that makes you want to play when they when they clear you, what is it that made you want to say, I want to finish the season.
Speaker 18: At the end of the day of a competitor. I want to compete with the guys. So that's that's all it came down to.
Speaker 2: You make any changes. You know, people see guardian caps out there. Obviously didn't work every different. What's different about this helmet.
Speaker 18: Just more pattern, you know what I mean. I was able to get fitted for one and it came.
Speaker 2: In just in time.
Speaker 20: Here's that feel.
Speaker 18: Much of your feels great, honestly, h It's comfortable. So that's all that about it.
Speaker 10: It's the scariest part of the symptoms that you felt.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of headaches.
Speaker 18: The first one was a little bit since the light, but other than that, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Can you take me through the art of the t Higgins contested catch because it feels like it's evolved from a few years ago to now and it seems like you're making them look so routine.
Speaker 18: Yeah, man, I just that's my job to go up there and catch the ball, and you know, Joe gives me a great boss to where I only I can catch it, and you know it's either me or nobody.
Speaker 21: So is it kind of just uplifting exciting to be able to come back from what you did and have the type of game that you did to that.
Speaker 18: I mean definitely is definitely a you know, a bonus. Obviously, I wanted to come out and try to dominate personally. But we was able to do that as a whole today and you know the results.
Speaker 2: So here's why I love T Higgins and that entire video. You could check it out Cincinnati Bengals talk on YouTube. I love that tee. It's like, oh man, I'm a competitor. Of course I want to apply. Why wouldn't I play? And I just I think that deserves praise. Now they've taken the precautions and he's gotten examined and went to a specialist in Pittsburgh and we heard from Zach Taylor on that earlier this hour. But the other thing that this to me reminds me of, and I think Sunday was a big, an important reason behind it and why you do pay T Higgins because that's still a discussion, especially with the defense being the way it is, and the Bengals had plenty of money last year and they just didn't spend enough of it, maximized their cap all of those things on defense. They could have done everything they did on offense and added a bunch on defense. They didn't do that. But this is why you keep T. Higgins because he's a in his prime monster and they've failed to draft enough monsters to say, oh, well, you can let this guy in his prime go. It'd be one thing if they had four defensive linemen and two corners and a bunch of stuff that they had to pay and they couldn't make it all work with Tea. They didn't have any of that they didn't like. If you don't pay T Higgins, you just lose T Higgins. And so to see him fight, to see him play at a high level, and to see him matter, and I think that's the thing he matters so much in this offense because if you want a double Jamar, well then fine, you got to deal with Tea. And if you're going to play one high and put T Higgins and Manda man coverage, well good luck, because he's as good as anyone right now in the NFL at the jump ball, in making plays on the ball deep down field. I mean, that catch, that fifty to fifty ball the other day is just insane. That he gets up there makes that play and you heard him just doing my job. No, like, no one can do that job. There's like four people on the planet that I think are capable of doing that job.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: A lot of times, it's it's easy to say, oh, the Bengals want the flashy way. They're paying two receivers, they're paying their quarterback, they're not built the right way. I don't believe that one bit. Like I think t the exact guy you do pay. I also thought Jesse Bates and DJ Reader were guys you pay and you keep guess what they could have done all of it. And that's the thing that I really want to hammer home this holiday season, especially going into the offseason. It's like, oh, well, you know, the Bengals, they spent here, but they needed to spend there. They could have done all of it. And that's the standard when you're trying to win Super Bowls. Guess what you're trying to do all of it, not some of it, not a little bit of it, all of it. And that's been the theme of this show. And the reason it's been the theme of this show is because this Bengals franchise with Joe Burrow should be contending for Super Bowls every single year. And when I think about Jamar Chase and t Higgins and Tea battling back and doing what he is doing at such a high level, it shouldn't be to get to five and ten on the season. It shouldn't be with nothing to play for. This better be the last season we're talking about this ever in the Joe Burrow Jamar Chase t Higgins era. Ever, otherwise they've failed massively, like this should be impossible. And I don't mean like last year where they're rallying for a playoff spot. Next year we should be talking about playoff positioning. Oh well, they're pretty much wrapped up the division. Are they going to get the one seed or the two seed or how do they stack up in the AFC? Like that's the standard. And so when I see a guy like T Higgins fighting his tail off, doing everything he can to get back on the field and what is essentially meaningless games, those are the type of guys you build around. And so when someone says I'm not sure they should have paid T Higgins, well yeah, they should have paid T Higgins. They got that right. There's a lot of things the Bengals have gotten wrong. They got that right, even if they needed to be nudged by Joe Burrow along the way. They got that right. It's time for them to get the rest of it fixed. This offseason. James Arepine in for Lance. This is Sports Talk on set one hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, Hey.
Speaker 8: Vehicle goes airborne and a deadly Christmas Eve crash near Kenwood Town Center with the eight o'clock report, I'm Sean Gallblagher breaking now. Utility companies continue tonight to replace and rewire utility polls after a single vehicle crash left one person dead and another critically injured.
Speaker 22: Late this morning, WDSA had cars speeding on Montgomery Road clipped. Another vehicle left the road and went airborne, hitting trees into utility poles, bringing down power lines. The driver, twenty eight year O'Connor Walshley, died from his injuries, while his passenger remains in critical condition. Both were visiting from South Carolina for the holidays. I'm Brady Hopkins News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: P Montgomery between Galberth and Coogler Mill expected to be reopened by eleven o'clock tonight. Now the latest traffic and weather together and right now taking a look at the major interstates in highways. They were dealing with that closure earlier this evening along seventy five southbound off ramp to westbound seventy four and so I need to see if it has reopened at this time, and cameras were showing that it looks like traffic was starting to move again seventy four westbounds, so it appears that they might have been able to clear that accident on the off ramp. The right lane of the highway had also been blocked by the ramp to seventy four west from seventy five south.
Speaker 11: Now, the latest forecast from the No Feared Dentist Weather Center advanced dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 9: Temperatures will be climbing quickly into Christmas morning as we rebound well into the fifties to start things off, but that scattered rain will also continue into the morning, likely ending by the early afternoon. But we'll keep it cloudy and warm for your Christmas afternoon Highs near fifty nine degrees heading into Friday morning, well cool off to forty six from your severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning met Religius. Mark Stintz News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Radar at this time is showing a fair sky and our current temperature is coming in at forty degrees. Ay crash Ley, a Cincinnati radio and television personalities work being remembered during the holidays.
Speaker 23: Christmas for those of us of a certain age growing up in the trash State and meant the radio where TV tuned in every day at noon to Ruth Lions. She was a favorite of Baby boo Er Moms of the Christmas songs she wrote form the songbook for local holiday celebrations. Joined by cast members like Ruby Wright, Marian Spellman, and Bob Brown, the Fifty to fifty Club became musty daytime TV. At one point there was a two year waiting list to get tickets to be in the audience on Christmas Day. Wowt looking back at our legacy with specials about her career. Brian Colps News Radio seven WLW.
Speaker 8: The iconic Cincinnati sign on the newly renovated Downtown Convention Center backup in time for the holidays is the LED sign facing I seventy five on the west side of the convention Center, and the convention Center set to reopen January seventh, one of the big changes with the sign is that every letter on it is customizable and can play video. And Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week after throwing four touchdowns in last Sunday's forty five to twenty one win at the Dolphins. The Bengals will host the Cardinals this Sunday, kick off one o'clock on the Big One. Our next update is at eight thirty. I'm Sean Galbager News Radio seven hundred w WELLEB.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
Speaker 3: For victims of drunk and drug driving. Our grief is unique, but you are not alone. You always have a place at mad Cap.
Speaker 24: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the hour to James or team in per lance. This is seven hundred that wl W. It's great to be with you. This is sports Talk. Merry Christmas Eve. I hope you're having a great one with you and yours and plenty to discuss this hour with you til nine o'clock. There's a growing sentiment. I think at least it feels this way, and this sort of happened last year, and I don't want to fall into the trap this year, and so I want to make it very very clear now with the Bengals two games to go, they force a bunch of turnovers in the third quarter against the Miami Dolphins, and they've been opportunistic in recent weeks, and it feels like this defense is coming along. It feels like this defense is coming along, and that very well could be true. I think there are building blocks on this defense, or one of them pro bol snub by the way. I think Miles Murphy one of them, but Dax Hill one of them. To be clear, I mean, there are guys that should be starters next year on this team, but they also need help at all three levels the defensive line room. You need another pass rushing defensive end that you really feel confident in, could be your number one edge rusher. You need a true push internally at that defensive tackle spot from a pass rush perspective. That's not news. That's something they tried to get with Sheldon Rankins. I believe they were interested in adding that in the draft this past year. They haven't done it. That's something they have to do this offseason. Linebacker, I don't think you can say oh, Demetrius Night and Barrett Carter Boom were set Orren Burks is under contract, We're set. I don't think that's the case at all. They need help at linebacker and Gino still and should not start on Sunday. So when you look at it, the Bengals need help on all three levels of their defense, even with like no matter what happens over the final few weeks, that's the case. But don't take my word for it. I caught up with Tony Pike last week on my YouTube channel, Cincinnati Bengals Talk, and you could check it out on YouTube. You could check it out wherever you get your podcast. By the way, James or Pen and Falance McAllister here on seven hundred WLW, and this was part of our conversation about the Bengals defense. How many new pieces do they need on defense and how many of them should be free agents improven pieces, because I would go really, really in all three levels investing in free agency in the defense.
Speaker 25: You know how many years out are we and we're still talking about this team never replaced Jesse Bates. You want to dive into x's and o's the touchdown before the half that Baltimore scored inexcusable on Genostone's behalf on the back end, there was no inside threat. He should have been widened. He should have made the angle on Za Flowers. He should have That should have been an incompletion. It should have been seven to nothing or ten nothing at halftime. You need help on the back end, you know. I think Jordan Battle's taking some good steps as of late. I think you can see pieces with Dax Hill, certainly DJ Turner. The evaluation that linebacker is gonna be key for me because I don't see it with with Barrett Carter. Demitrius Knight, I thought had his best game as a Bengal against the Baltimore Ravens. So certainly I can say, okay, year one, guys, let's run it back and see what we have. But I would certainly have a contingency plan there. And I think defensive line is fascinating. I love what Miles Murphy's done, But Miles Murphy was good down the stretch last year as well. Why does it take three quarters of the season for Miles Murphy to start playing well?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 25: Can can you get that Miles Murphy to start next year? Josepho size in a contract year. What are you gonna do with him? The Trey Hendrickson? Do you run the risk of tagging Trey Hendrickson and going through more drama in the offseason. You have to evaluate what you have. But I'm so past the draft a guy, an immediate impact player. I want proven players on the defensive side of the ball. And that's the other aspect we didn't talk about. This team has struggled in the draft for the most part in recent years. And are we really willing to risk finishing the season seven to ten and dropping in the draft order and trying to get a mid round steal instead of a top ten pick who you know? You know, based on teams that are quarterback driven, there's going to be some quarterbacks reached for in the first round. You're probably going to get a very good position player in that top ten that falls.
Speaker 3: Into your lap.
Speaker 25: Do you want to run the risk of another draft a guy and sell it to the fate? We al, Shamar Stewart, the measurables. No, give me a proven guy in the draft. So I think there are some pieces on defense that I'm willing to run the you know, run it back with or roll the dice on. But for the most part, their scheme with their personnel needs to match up way better than it does.
Speaker 2: That entire thing. On my YouTube channel, Cincinnati Bengals Talk, James are pen In for Lance a look that they need help. They need to add bona fide players at all three levels of the defense, regardless of what happens over the final few weeks. I think that that's kind of a moot point, because your defense is a big reason why you're in this position, not the only reason, a big reason. And one thing that I'm going to talk about this hour that I hit on last hour is if you're going to build a competent team that is competent regardless of whether or not Joe Burrows on the field or not, that's something you need to do. You need, not want, not hope not. You need to build a defense that is going to be able to carry you at times, not all the time, but at times. And this defense doesn't. This defense has plenty of holes, plenty of flaws, plenty of weaknesses, and we saw those on Sunday in Miami. Even a game where the Bengals win, you I see the issues that they have defending the run, tackling Gino Stone open field, no chance at stopping a chand and yeah, Devin ah Chan is one of the best running backs in the game. Don't get shaken so much that you end up in a blender out of your cleats and have to put your cleats back on on the field. And I'm exaggerating a little bit, but not really. It was awful. And so the Bengals need to address safety, they need to address defensive tackle, they need more pass rush everywhere, and they need linebackers that can be reliable. It doesn't mean that Barrett Carter and Demitrius Knight can't be contributors, but I don't think either one you can pencil in as a starter next year. And that sucks because that's a second round pick and a fourth round pick that you just used. Doesn't mean they won't start. It doesn't mean they can't earn that. It doesn't mean Shamar Stewart, by the way, pass rush wise won't take another step. He had to tackle for loss the other day. That's fine. But even though Miles Murphy has emerged, and even though Shamar Stewart could very well be much improved in year two. You need a bona fide number one pass rusher to bank on. That is the NFL. That is that's it. You need to be a physical, nasty defense that can put pressure on opponents and have playmakers and fly around and make plays and tackles and so like a guy like Jordan Battle, say what you want about him, and he's a frustrating player because he's up and down, but he at least makes splash plays. He does do that, and that works for me. Like I can deal with Jordan Battle being a starting safety on my defense. Is he going to be the best player on a winning defense. No, but he's going to be the eighth best player in a winning defense and he's going to make some splash plays and he's going to try hard. And yeah, some of those plays that he misses are going to be painful, but guess what, he's not gonna have to make as many of those plays if your linebackers are better, if your defensive front's better. And that's probably what Geno Stone is saying every time I rip him. But man, he doesn't make those splash plays. He did that in Baltimore. He did it at the end of last year. He hasn't made those splash plays this year outside of a game here and there. He's so inconsistent and the lows are so low that it's over. The Bengals should certainly move on from him. So the Bengals defense, no matter what they do. They could win forty nine to nothing against the Cardinals and shut out Jacoby Brisset, who's playing really well for Arizona right now. Don't buy it. They could kick the crap out of Shador Sanders and pitch back to back shutouts after doing what they did to Miami. I won't buy it. They need to aggressively address all three levels of their defense this offseason, and anything other than that, honestly is unacceptable. Merry Christmas Eve. I'm James Orpine, in for a lance with you till nine o'clock. We're just getting started here in hour two. Make sure you check out that full interview in my full conversation with Tony Pike on my YouTube channel, Cincinnati Bengals Talk Up Next will continue the Bengals conversation, and yeah, happy to be with you here on Christmas Eve. I'm James Earpen and this is Sports Talk on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Spreading holiday year the way I spread mayonnaise on a BLT thick and sloppy. Ho ho ho from seven hundred wl This is what they call the Hard Cell Sunday Yardcare Holiday Sale, Limited Time Act.
Speaker 2: Now one hundred WLW. I'm James Epene Infra Lance with you till nine o'clock. And the Bengals they kick the crap out of the Dolphins the other day, and a lot of you feel a lot of you, I'm sure, felt good about it, Some feel bad about it, Some worry about draft position. The Bengals still set to pick ninth overall in the twenty twenty six NFL Draft. My thoughts on it, I mean, I think it's interesting. I think there's there's an argument that can be made that you want the Bengals to lose games. There's an argument that can be made that you want them to win down the stretch and send everyone home happy, and they've done that in their history. And I see both of it.
Speaker 3: I was in.
Speaker 2: Miami with a game on Sunday, and I watched Joe Burrow do what he did, complete twenty five of thirty two passes for three hundred and nine yards four touchdowns, have a one forty six point five passer rating, the second best of his career. And to me, it was a reminder, ladies and gentlemen, we we look a lot of times during the holiday season for a reminder of, oh, well, why you should cherish these moments or these times and when it comes to football, and this has nothing to do with the holiday season, but when it comes to football, the ultimate goal is to what to win a championship. And I can for sure tell you that every team that doesn't have a Joe Burrow feels like they are nineteen thousand, five hundred and fifty two bajillion miles away from winning a championship. But if you have a Josh Allen or a Patrick Mahomes or a Joe Burrow, you feel like you're close. You feel like you have a chance. You feel like there's a real shot at doing just that, of getting to the mountaintop. And that's what Sunday reminded me, because Joe Burrow played well, but the Dolphins just never had a chance. There was never a moment in that game, even when it was fourteen to ten, where I thought that Quin Yours and the Dolphins were gonna beat Joe Burrow in the Bengals, and so you're like, James, what does that mean? What are you saying? I'm saying that it doesn't need to be rocket science for the Bengals this offseason. It doesn't need to be so hard, and it feels like they're really really far away. But when you have Joe Burrow, you're born on third base. You have a shot to completely revamp things very very quickly. And I know Bengals ownership has really done the opposite of going all in. They've tried to build this sustainable winner. They've tried, they've tried to do this thing where they are, we're going to try to keep ourselves in the mix for as long as possible, and that sounds good. But when you have Joe Burrow, it needs to be about Joe Burrow. When you have Joe Burrow, it needs to be about Joe Burrow in building around him and putting the team around him that can contend. You're in and you're out, how do you get there? You're in and you're out? Because when I look at this and I think about Joe Burrow, and I think about how they're four and two with Joe Burrow, at quarterback this season. I think, man, oh man, if you had just been slightly under five hundred without him, they were one and eight without him, you have been four and five without Joe Burrow. Things feel, look and all are so much different. And you're right there, You're in the hunt. You feel like you could go to Buffalo and win. You feel like that you're competing with the Steelers for the division crown right now, and that's who's more than likely he is going to win it. But they weren't built correctly, they weren't coached correctly. There were mistakes all around, and it's unacceptable. That's what the reminder was for me the other day watching Joe Burrow pass the twenty thousand yard mark, fifth fastest in NFL history to do so, third fastest in NFL history to throw for one hundred and fifty touchdowns. He's had one hundred and fifty two touchdowns. The time is now, not later.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I wrote a book about the Bengals. A lot of you have probably followed the Cincinnati Bengals for your entire life. By the way, you can get it at Cincinnati Bengals book dot com. It's called Enter the Jungle. Wherever books are sold. This Bengals franchise has never had a quarterback like Joe Burrow and gone all in on winning, and they need to do that. The time is now to do that. Teams that have gone all in and I say that in quotes like the Los Angeles Rams, guess what they've rebounded from their all in mode and they're still good. You can be sustainable. This is the Joe Burrow era where every year you should be winning eleven, twelve, thirteen games, not six, not seven, not five and ten, five and ten? When will we be great again? Like that's their slogan this year. That can't be unacceptable. And so this holiday season, this Christmas season, when we're all spreading cheer and we should be the thing that I want to spread. The message I want to send when it comes to the Cincinnati Bengals is that this is not rocket science. You can fix it. You can be a Super Bowl contender a year from now. And when I'm on these airwaves next to Christmas Eve filling in for Lance McAllister on Sports Talk, we can be talking about, man oh man, they have a real shot out winning a super Bowl. That's the standard. Everything else is hogwash. Everything else is a failure. It comes up short. The standard is really really high because of who you have. The Miami Dolphins. James are being in for Lance McAllister today, Merry Christmas. The Miami Dolphins would trade their entire roster in multiple years, of their entire drafts to get Joe Burrow. You have Joe Burrow, Jamar, Chase T Higgins. We're gonna hear from Ti Higgins coming up. You have all these pieces in their prime. You have to take advantage of it. You have to. And so for me, Sunday was a reminder of that. Oh man, Joe's on the field with those weapons. Good luck, good luck. You got a young, feisty defense that has some real proven pieces. And that's what they need to add this offseason, real proven pieces. That's it. It's on ownership to do that. And I don't want to hear a lot of you are probably thinking, oh, well, Joe makes this amount of money or Jamar or t and they shouldn't have paid this guy that They have plenty of money, plenty of money. They have plenty of money and plenty of cash. I hear that a lot o the Bengals owners they don't have as much cash. There's a salary cap, plenty of cash. They have plenty of cash, plenty of ways they can maximize the cap. They don't. They don't do that, and they should. It's the Joe Burrow era. Failing in this era and not winning a super Bowl is far worse than having one year or two years where you're in cap purgatory where your salary cap is preventing you from doing what you want to do. Down the line. You gotta get a super Bowl, you gotta win the championship. You gotta be willing to push the chips in And that's what's scary now because they're committed to Zach Taylor, they're committed to this coaching staff, they're committed to this front office. And so if that's the case, then what's going to change. What needs to change is their desire to go all in on winning and that is the standard. They need to be active in free agency, there's no doubt about it. And by active, I mean active like they were in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty when Joe Burrow was on his rookie deal, and then they got cold feet in twenty twenty two, a little bit. They were able to get a couple of linemen, but you could see the feet getting colder as we got closer to Joe Burrow's extension, and those feet are frozen right now, even though those temperatures outside are are mighty mighty nice for this time of year in the Queen City. I'm James or Peen in for Lance. This is Sports Talk. Tweet me on x at James or Peen. Also check out all of my Bengals coverage Bengals Talk dot com. Really happy to be with you. You're on Christmas Eve plenty to discuss. We're gonna hear from Zach Taylor T Higgins on a Christmas Eve edition of Sports Talk. I'm James Arpene, Thanks for joining us right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: Americans on the move, but the A thirty report, I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now hey, record number of Americans expected to travel during the holiday season now into New Year's traffic analyst said that today was a good day to travel, with later traffic on the roads. Roads also expected to be less busy on Christmas Day for those only having to make a short trip to their holiday destination. But after the Christmas Day celebrations the calm coming to an end.
Speaker 26: Rush picks back up on Friday. Airlines for America says December twenty sixth is shaping up to be one of the busiest flying days of the holiday period, along with December twenty eighth for return travel. And it's not just the airports. Roads will be crowded to so if you're driving Friday in Rick says the worst travel times are between eleven am and eight pm. The best time to hit the road before eleven am. Bottom Line, plan ahead and of course, travel safe everybody.
Speaker 3: ABC News is Stephanie Ramos.
Speaker 8: For those in Ohio who hit the road earlier this week enjoyed lower gas prices, but in the last forty eight hours they've gone up about a quarter, entering today two dollars seventy nine cents.
Speaker 3: But there's an upside.
Speaker 8: Motor is still paying less of the pump compared to last Christmas, when the average was twenty eight cents higher. The nationwide average also down nineteen cents from the holiday season a year ago. Now the latest traffic and weather together and right now taking a look at the major interstates and highways.
Speaker 3: No new accidents now both lateis forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 9: After briefly dropping down into the upper forties versus Santa we quickly pushed into the fifties by the time most of us wake up Christmas morning. That scattered rain will also be out there Thursday morning, but should be out of here by early afternoon. While gloomy at Christmas afternoon, it will be warm highs near fifty nine and we only cool off to forty six into your Friday morning. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first warning meter rebly just Mark Stitz, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Radar showing a fair sky right now. It's forty three degrees. Ay crash late this morning in Sycamore Township near Kimwood Town Center, leaving one person dead and another critically injured. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office was called out around eleven o'clock to the intersection of Montgomery and Galbreth Roads late this morning. They say that twenty eight year old Connor Walshley was driving to the highway to speed on Montgomery when he clipped another vehicle on Galbreth went off the road and hit a curb, sending his sh his sending his sedan airborne as he struck several trees in two utility poles. He and a passenger had to be extricated from the vehicle. Whilsley died from his injuries while the passenger was taken to UC Medical Center. Montgomery rode between Gilbert and Couglar Mills, still shut down, expected to reopen around eleven o'clock tonight. Is Duke Energy and Ulti Fiber replace and Rewire utility polls. Elwa Jones, whose murder case was dismissed earlier this month, the rest of this afternoon after allegedly driving while under the influence, and was also allegedly involved in a crash at the intersection of East McMillan and would Burn Avenues.
Speaker 3: There were no injuries in that crash.
Speaker 8: Jones now charged with obi leaving the scene of a crash in failure to control a motor vehicle. Jones had been convicted in the nineteen ninety four beating death of wrote To Nathan, sentenced to death, but was granted a new trial in twenty twenty two, after new evidence surface that the prosecution never disclosed to the defense during the trial, Hamilton County Prosecutor Connie Pillage, after a month's long intensive review, dismissed the case with prejudice. Something to check out for those with time off during the holidays or the looking for something to do with their kids while they're on winter break.
Speaker 20: For a lot of people in Cincinnati, they remember this when they were a kid. They've grown up with this. This is their seventy ninth holiday season.
Speaker 27: The Duke Energy Holiday Trains in Holiday Junction at Iconic Historic Union Terminal. Cody Hefner is with a Cincinnati Museum Center on what is a holiday trip back in time.
Speaker 20: We have this digital storybook that has all these historic photos from the nineteen forties all the way to present day, so you can flip through and it is fun because people will see the decade or the period that they remember first seeing the trains.
Speaker 27: Holiday Junction is open until January fifth. I'm Matt Reeese news Radio seven hundred WL double.
Speaker 3: Arnt ax upthing. This is nine o'clock.
Speaker 8: I'm Sean Gallagher, News Radio seven hundred WLWL News Radio seven hundred WLW and iHeartRadio station guarantee Human seven hundred WLW HI heard radio.
Speaker 3: Breath is a confidence killer. You could have the best outfit.
Speaker 2: Welcome back Sports Talk. I'm James Rpene and this is seven hundred wl W. Merry Christmas Eve in for Lance McAllister, and I think it's time to have a discussion about Zach Taylor. We're gonna hear from Zach Taylor in just a second. I think it's tough. It's tough when you understand the human side of things to a degree, and Zach obviously has a high leverage position. And I'm not going to, especially on Christmas Eve, talk about job security or whether he should be here or not be here. I know everybody has strong opinions about that, and there's a time and place for it. I'm not sure Christmas Eve is that time. I will say this and I'm gonna play what Zach Taylor had to say on Monday after the game. Some injury stuff, obviously health updates, the insight he had on t Higgins. I think it's important for everyone to hear that as Tiggins made it through concussion protocol. But the end of what Zach had to say, I think is really really important too. So this is it's about seven minutes. It's Zach Taylor on Monday, and let's get to that and then we'll react to what he said at the end of his Monday news conference. James Arpine in for a lance, here's Zach Taylor for Monday.
Speaker 12: You know, we've always wanted to be a relentless defense, something where the effort flies off the tape and you see guys forming the ball. So I think those are things. When I watched the tape yesterday is you see everyone in the picture, everyone after first contact trying to get in the mix, make sure the ball carry gets down.
Speaker 7: They got the one run on us.
Speaker 12: That was a big run, and you can't excuse that because we got to get him on the ground. We had opportunities to do it, could have knocked it down. We didn't. This core touchdown. But you look at the mixture runs after that, and they're tough. They scheme your runs up, they give you a lot of different looks, a ton of different personnel groupings. I thought our defense did a great job getting that run game settled down and minimized toward in the second half. You know, you got to make them throw the football and we were able to get the ball off of them that way. So just overall really impressed with the growth of our defense and how these guys responded. They understand the scheme, the communication has been really good, and again, you know, taking the ball off the people, you know, so there's that confidence to scoring there as well, and so it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 13: That's the line had a pretty good game yesterday in terms of containing.
Speaker 7: The run between the tackles, doing.
Speaker 12: A great job playing with their hands, understanding the techniques for asking them to play and and so again you're just seeing guys grow. A ton of guys grow. Getting Tamar back was fun to watch yesterday. I thought Cedric played a good game yesterday. Miles continues just to just have a really good season right now with where he's at. And so again it's just and there's guys I'm not even naming, you know. I thought everybody played really well yesterday. So just fun group to watch them to continue to grow and as send and that's all we're asking for them right now is just get better every single week and minimize your miss aches.
Speaker 7: And we're seeing that from those guys.
Speaker 14: I think after Higgins said he saw specialists to go what see Thursday morning, okay, and kind of what what led to y'all come to that conclusion and saying, hey, let's go have this check down and the kind of walk us through that cross yeh.
Speaker 12: It was the doctors, you know, I think just making sure tea in conjunction with our doctors, just making sure you got that final checkpoint there to make sure we were seeing everything and the clearance was appropriate. I think with the two issues he's had, you know, that was the appropriate way to do it.
Speaker 7: And so get him out there quite really was.
Speaker 12: It was a bang bang Thursday morning, got out there, got back before I wasn't expecting about practice, and there he is, walks in the door, you know, right after stretch. So that was I think it's good for him to hear that too. He could probably answer that better than I can, but we just want to make sure we were doing right by him. If he's going to go out there and play that everybody feels good about it. He feels good about it, family feels good about it. And he went out there and to my eye, felt really good.
Speaker 14: Clear Saturday and Sunday morning in order to finally have agree like it for something.
Speaker 12: I don't know what the final hurt it was. I mean I felt good Friday. I wasn't gonna tell everybody that.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 12: You know, it's it's kind of nice for you to have t Higgins walk on the field Sunday morning when no one's exactly sure if he's going to play.
Speaker 7: I knew he was going to play at that point, but.
Speaker 12: You know, so it is good to get Tea back out there, and I know we got a lot of confidence when he's out there.
Speaker 15: Jalen Davis in November camp, Tilbert gets hurt. You were going young at a lot of different positions, You had young corners, and obviously it's worked out with Jalen. What made Jalen the guy that you wanted to put in the lineup when you looked at your options at.
Speaker 12: That He's always he's always been a dependable guy. We've seen up for him in training camp for preseason games and opportunity he's gotten over the years, you know, to play in a real game, and uh, you know, just tremendous locker room guy. I think he's he's a fan favorite in the locker room. Tremendous energy, just does what it takes to win and help our team, whether that's been as a practice squad player, bringing energy every single day and being consistent, being ready when his numbers called, and so then his numbers finally called in November. He just goes out there and just plays with a ton of confidence, a ton of awareness, great communication skills, leadership on defense, has an act for making plays on the ball, has an act for pressuring. A lot of similarities Mike Hilton, you know, and whether that's because they were together for a long time, and and that's a huge compliment, you know, because Mike obviously had tremendous career, and so JD's out there doing his own thing and and really just happy to see him take on that role and do it with a ton of confidence and make a lot of place for us and have a lot of success.
Speaker 7: He's earned that. How'd you describe Fairchild's rookie good?
Speaker 12: You know, I think he's playing between Orlando and Ted has been a really good for him. Played with really good physicality, and you know, seeing a lot of stuff over the course of the season, being able to be available and and I you know, really I think he's got a really high seat, and you know I felt the line as a whole. You know, we're talking about a Marius, We're talking about Dylan. I've just had a ton of confidence all year. You know whatever we're calling that there's gonna be great protection for quarterbacks. That the run game, you know we're gonna have success in our runs that we're calling. And so just you know that speaks to Dylan, that speaks to the whole group. I just as a head coach, as a play caller, have a lot of confidence in the unit.
Speaker 13: How much do you like watching take that duo blocked head and Dylan had We're small chase touchdown.
Speaker 12: It's great and it's you know when you get a drive, mull it over drives. The second half started around midfield, which was just great. But you know, you hit them in the past game and you kind of got teams on their heels, and then you get to hit them on two runs as you get lower in there and scored on two runs. You know from you know, inside the fifteen, inside the five. It's good because now you know you're having a lot of success in the pass game, so they got to respect that, and then you know, you hit them with with some of the runs we hit on and the guys are able to come off the ball and drive them off the ball, and it's it's that's a great way to finish drives.
Speaker 16: Yeah, when it's a season that hasn't gone well for you guys that there's a lot of talk about a meaningless season, but for you, you look at a different as a coach, I know, where do you see the most growth on a team even though this season hasn't been great.
Speaker 12: Well, I think we played a lot of young guys, you know, and these guys have just gotten better and better, and so our future is really right that way that every player, you know, for a second third year player, I really feel like has made huge tries this season as they've gotten more reps and more opportunity, and so we have a lot of confidence in those guys. And then and then you blended with the veterans that we've got that are playing at a high level. So I feel really good about the direction this team. And and you know, it's all we can control is this week we got Arizona. This week we got to put our vestent forward, forget about what's going on around us, just focus on great game plan, having a great week of practice, winning the game went in two games in a row. The feeling we had in the locker room responding with a way to win back to back games is all we can control right now. Okay, you know, I know Jay Morrison and his family are dealing with something tough right now. Jays, as you all know, one of the greatest guys in this business. So thought some prayers with him and his family. And I hate that he's got to go for that, but I know we're all here for him, So I just want to make sure he knows that and his family knows.
Speaker 2: That that last bit is the most important bit there of information. I thought it was so so classy of Zach Taylor to say that about Jay Morrison and his wife Nikki. And really, ever since I heard the news, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. And love Jay obviously. I've worked with Jay for many, many years and I consider him a great friend. And it's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking because it's rare to see a a couple that you know just fits and works perfectly, and so when tragedy happens like this, and and for those of you that that don't know. Nicky Morrison passed away earlier this week, really suddenly during a procedure that that went wrong, and it's not something that anyone anticipated, expected or could have thought was coming. And so when something sudden like this happens, you know, you you reflect, and and the thing that I continue to go back to is what Jay and Nikki had. You could see was so special from the moment that you talked to Jay about anything, any of his hobbies, any anything, and they're just the perfect couple that supported each other and loved each other. And this is, uh, it's just awful, awful news, and some things in life you can't explain why, and it's really hard to understand the why with with something like this. So love Jay, love Nikki. We're thinking about the entire Morrison family. But I thought it was really really classy of Zach Taylor to say that at the end. And that's why I mean, he talked today, but that's why I wanted to play what he said Monday in its entirety. I thought there were some key nuggets in there about t Higgins and other things like that, plus what he said about Jay and his family. So obviously we're thinking about the Morrisons during this time, and Jay, we we love you for sure. It's it's something that I can't stop thinking about and I'm not going to stop thinking about. So make sure that you give Jay your your well wishes this holiday season and the entire Morrison family, and we will continue the show coming up next. James Repine in for Lance. This is seven hundred Wow Penn Station rewards on seven hundred at WLW. We've had plenty of Bengals conversation naturally, and well, if you're just joining us and you're like, who the heck is James or Pen? Why cover the Bengals Bengals Talk dot Com, Cincinnati Bengals Talk on YouTube, and the Lockdown at Bengals Podcast. One thing that I, for lack of a better term, love is seeing star players fight, battle, compete, the edge, what drives them all of those things? And a guy like T Higgins, Like we've talked a lot about Joe Burrow and should he shut it down? Should he not? You know, there's been so much discussion there, but a guy like T Higgins, that dude could have easily shut it down this season and no one would have blamed him. No, one would have questioned it. Everyone would have said yeah to you, like do it, And instead this guy is battling, doing everything he can to get back on the field, going to see a specialist in Pittsburgh. He suffered a concussion a month ago now against the Patriots a little over a month ago, and missus a game. Comes back after that Thursday game, comes back the following week and plays great against the Bills. Gets concussed in that game and doesn't have symptoms or at least passes protocol and doesn't have symptoms to get yanked out of the game until after and goes back into protocol after the game. This is the second Ravens game, and to me, it's cool is the wrong word. But I just think he deserves praise for fighting the way he has to get back on the field. And what we should hear from t Higgins this is what he said to me after the game in the locker room in Miami, after having a great game, including a thirty five yard catch and outstanding touchdown grab his tenth of the season, which ties a career high, like T is a problem on the field, and that's a great thing for the Cincinnati Bengals. Here's what T Higgins had to say after the game.
Speaker 3: No, it was fun.
Speaker 18: You know, just get back there and compete with my guys and then it's even better.
Speaker 2: We got a wu the w that.
Speaker 18: We got too, So you know, shout out to my guys.
Speaker 19: When you're on the flight to and from Pittsburgh, what's going through your head?
Speaker 2: Like, what's that like?
Speaker 18: Honestly, you know, praying that you know, I'll come back with come here and get positive news, to come back with positive news to tell the team and things like that, and that's what it was. Your racking or I mean I was very you know, obviously I was very anxious and nervous, you know what they was gonna say. But you know I got a peace of mind and it was okay.
Speaker 19: Changes that makes you want to play when they when they clear you, what is it that made you want to say, I want to finish the season.
Speaker 18: In the man at the end of the day of a competitor, I want compete with the guys. So that's that's all it came down to.
Speaker 2: You make any changes, you know, people see guardian caps out there. Obviously didn't work every different. What's different about this helment.
Speaker 18: Just more pattern, you know what I mean, was able to get fitted for one and it came in just in time.
Speaker 7: Who's that feel?
Speaker 18: It feels great, honestly, Uh, it's comfortable. So that's all that about it.
Speaker 10: It's the scariest part of the symptoms that you felt.
Speaker 18: There was a lot of headaches. The first one was a little bit sensitive to light. But other than that, see that is Can.
Speaker 2: You take me through the art of the T Higgins contested catch because it feels like it's evolved from a few years ago to now and it seems like you're making them look so routine.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Man, I just that's my job to go up there and catch the ball, and you know, Joe gives me a great boss to where I only I can catch it, and you know it's either me or nobody.
Speaker 3: So is it kind of just uplifting?
Speaker 21: So to be able to come back from what you did and have the type of game then you did, to know, I.
Speaker 18: Mean, definitely is definitely a bonus. Obviously I wanted to come out and and try to dominate personally, but who was able to do that as a whole today and you know the results.
Speaker 2: So here's why I love T Higgins and that entire video. You could check it out Cincinnati Bengals talk on YouTube. I love that Tea is like, oh man, I'm a competitor. Of course I want to apply. Why wouldn't I play? And I just I think that deserves praise. Now they've taken the precautions and he's gotten examined and went to a specialist in Pittsburgh and we heard from Zach Taylor on that earlier this hour. But the other thing that this to me reminds me of, and I think Sunday was a big, an important reason behind it and why you do pay T. Higgins because that's still a discussion, especially with the defense being the way it is, and the Bengals had plenty of money last year and they just didn't spend enough of it, maximized their cap all of those things on defense. They could have done everything they did on offense and added a bunch on defense. They didn't do that. But this is why you keep T. Higgins because he's a in his prime monster, and they've failed to draft enough monsters to say, oh, well, you can let this guy in his prime go. It'd be one thing if they had four defensive linemen and two corners and a bunch of stuff that they had to pay, and they couldn't make it all work with Tea. They didn't have any of that they didn't like. If you don't pay T Higgins, you just lose T Higgins. And so to see him fight, to see him play at a high level, and to see him matter, and I think that's the thing he matters so much in this offense because if you won a double Jamar, well then fine, you got to deal with Tea. And if you're going to play one high and put T Higgins in Manda Man coverage, well good luck, because he's as good as anyone right now in the NFL at the jump ball, in making plays on the ball deep down field. I mean, that catch that fifty fifth ball the other day is just insane. That he gets up there makes that play and you heard him just doing my job. No, like, no one can do that job. There's like four people on the planet that I think are capable of doing that job.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 2: A lot of times it's it's easy to say, oh, the Bengals want the flashyway. They're paying two receivers, they're paying their quarterback. They're not built the right way. I don't believe that one bit. Like I think Tea's the exact guy you do pay. I also thought Jesse Bates and DJ Reader were guys you pay and you keep guess what they could have done all of it. And that's the thing that I really want to hammer home this holiday season, especially going into the off season. It's like, oh, well, you know the Bengals, they spent here, but they needed to spend there. They could have done all of it. And that's the standard when you're trying to win super Bowls. Guess what you're trying to do all of it, not some of it, not a little bit of it, all of it. And and that's been the theme of this show. And the reason it's been the theme of this show is because this Bengals franchise with Joe Burrow should be contending for super Bowls every single year. And when I think about Jamar Chase and T Higgins and Tea battling back and doing what he is doing at such a high level, it shouldn't be to get to five and ten on the season. It shouldn't be with nothing to play for. This better be the last season we're talking about this ever. In the Joe Burrow Jamar Chase t Higgins era. Ever, otherwise they've failed massively, like this should be impossible. And I don't mean like last year where they're rallying for a playoff spot. Next year we should be talking about playoff positioning. Oh well, they're pretty much wrapped up the division. Are they going to get the one seat or the two seed or how do they stack up in the AFC? Like that's the standard. And so when I see a like T Higgins fighting his tail off, doing everything he can to get back on the field and what is essentially meaningless games, those are the type of guys you build around. And so when someone says I'm not sure they should have paid T Higgins, well, hell yeah, they should have paid T Higgins. They got that right. This has been a lot of fun. Thank you so much for listening and following along wherever you were listening going to and from. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I hope that the Bengals give you and bring you whatever you want. That the teams in this town certainly treat the fans by doing everything they can to win, and I think that's what everybody would probably want and does want that's listening right now. So this is always fun filling in for Lance here on seven hundred WLW on Sports Talk. I do not take it lightly to get this opportunity. I like to make the most of it, even on a Christmas Eve where I'm sure you're busy. Everyone's busy. So thank you so much for listening and until next time. For our producer Tarren Bland, I'm James Epene, thank you so much for listening to Sports Talk right here on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: Leo delivers his first Christmas Eve message with the nine o'clock report. I'm Sean Gallagher breaking now, Pop Leo the fourteenth leading his first Christmas Eve Mass as pontif tonight at Saint Peter's Basilica and Vatican City, delivering a message saying that the story of Christmas should remind Christians of their duty to help the poor and strangers. The Pope was made care for immigrants and the poor, key issues in the early months of his papacy. Leo, who has seen who has been critical of President Trump's divisive immigration crackdown, quoted a line from the late Pope Benedict the sixteenth, lamenting that the world does not care for children, the poor, or foreigners, saying quote, while a distorted economy leads us to treat human beings as mere merchandise, God becomes like us, revealing the infinite dignity of every person. Meanwhile, Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York expected to be packed as it will mark the final midnight mass for outcoming Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who's set to retire. Tickets for the service in high demand as they are placed in a lottery system.
Speaker 3: Now, the latest.
Speaker 8: Traffic and weather together and taking a look at the major interstates and highways right now, no new accidents now.
Speaker 11: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center advanced dentistry the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck, We're here for you.
Speaker 3: No Fear Dentist dot Com will.
Speaker 9: Be climbing quickly into Christmas morning as we rebound well into the fifties to start things off. But that scattered rain will also continue into the morning, likely ending by the early afternoon, but will keep it cloudy and warm for your Christmas afternoon hies near fifty nine degrees heading into Friday morning, we cool off to forty six. From your severe weather station, I'm nine First Warning met ROBA just Mark Stitz News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: And radar at this time is showing a partly cloudy sky and our current temperature is coming in at forty four degrees as we're actually seeing more clouds develop Hereing the last hour or so, two people hospitalized after a crash on the Interstate seventy five southbound up to seventy four West. Both were adults on suffering serious injuries, while the other head injuries believed to be non life threatening. The ramp closed for some time this evening as Cruz cleaned it up, but that has since reopened. Now what Jones, whose murder case was dismissed earlier this month, the restident now facing new charges after allegedly driving under the influence and leaving the scene of a crash late this afternoon. Cincinnati police say the accident happened near the corner of East McMillan and Woodburn Avenue around five o'clock, as Jones allegedly crashed into a poll. Jones was released after being charged with obi leaving the scene of a crash in failure to control the motor vehicle, now due in court December twenty ninth. Police say that he refused to breathalyze your test. Jones was