Speaker 1: You want to be an American idiots.
Speaker 2: The weekend is here.
Speaker 3: It is a massive sports weekend in Cincinnati. He doesn't get any bigger than this. You have, of course, well, Joe Burrow play or not play that debate. On Sunday you have UC BYU feeling like for all the marbles with the national Fox broadcast in town at Nippert Stadium.
Speaker 1: We're gonna look good there.
Speaker 3: We've got UC and Inner Miami in the next round of the MLS playoffs at TQL Stadium, winner take all, and tonight you've got Elder Saint X. And it was interesting as a Bengal fan watching and watching this develop going well, they want to move it to pay cour, which made a lot of sense, you know, as a Mason, I to look at that.
Speaker 1: Go okay, it's a few thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Hopefully the Ohio State High School Athletic Association gives them, gives them a little bit of money back for their investment. But yeah, seven thousand tickets. The demand is high. I don't know how many they've sold at this point. I forgot to check, but certainly more than seven thousand. And they're gonna this pay Court tonight Okay, great, awesome. I was surprised how quickly this came together. But it brings up a bigger question, and that is didn't we, the taxpayers of Hamilton County pay for the stage? So why can't we use that more often?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 3: That is a representative state Rep. Adam Matthews, who is in control and rules with an iron fist from Lebanon to South Lebanon to Mason.
Speaker 1: Adam Matthews, welcome back. How are you brother?
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure to be here. Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 3: Thanks again. So let's jump into this. This is interesting what this happened. You probably heard about it, and do you have any affiliation with Saint X or Elder You got skin in the game there.
Speaker 2: I did. Actually, one of my core memories I was winning against Cole Rain in the playoffs just like this in two thousand and five. We went to overtime and beat Coleraine twelve to nine in Paul and then Paul Brown Stadium, and it was incredible. Yeah, that was on the way to a state championship.
Speaker 3: Let's face it, many of these young men and some may go to play collegiately. For sure, NFL is a pipe dream. But then from most of the athletes out there, this will be a high point of their athletic career. But imagine, I mean, how awesome is that. Getting to play on an actual NFL turf has got to be and just you know, the locker rooms and everything, the whole experience is is going to be something to remember the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: It's incredible and I'm so excited for these young gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then you got involved legislatively the Bengals, and you know, it's always in vogue to poke fun at the Bengals and question their motives and operations and maybe spendthrift ways in some cases. But you gotta also give congratulations too. And it certainly isn't how quickly the franchise leaned into hosting this game, and typically the Bengals don't do anything quickly. They did this in like less than twenty four hours, and also with the county, and so credit certainly is due there. But what do you want to do legislatively?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will act that. Thank you so much to the Bengals from the team. Thank you that those in the local county commission that they this happened as well. And this should be a model of what goes forward if we're going to have tax payer step off and fund these very large investments you have up at the Browns, they had asked for one hundreds of millions of dollars. And even here in Mason we've seen something similar of the Cincinnati Open had just been used for one week. It became a two week tournament and has been doing really well. But it's now also back in October host of the girl State Finals, and it's now open for more tournaments. It's going to be open to the community for a pro shop, for the court, for things like that. And if we're going to have these huge professional sports venues, there should be a way for that to come at functional costs to the community for these types of venues. Are looking at legislation on making sure that that can happen and be fair to the owners. You don't want to say it's a football situation, and you know, wild card weekend lines up obviously, if the Dingles are hosting, you can't have a high school game the night before. But if it works out that it's Friday night, things are fine. You can have a game on Sunday. Wonderful let's let's have that happen, and we're going to work with the USSAA, work with the professional organizations and see what we can do.
Speaker 3: But you also have the contracts that are would this I don't know a contract law, I'm not an attorney.
Speaker 1: How would that work?
Speaker 3: If you have a contract that says, hey, you can only have so many dates, whatever it might be, how does this override that?
Speaker 2: So we are looking at making legislation that anything going forward. Anytime that they come with a handout asking for hey, we need taxpayer subsidies to build a new stadium or renovate a new stadium. If you're not using it for your professional purpose, there's other types of reasonable uses out to the community should be part of that conversation, and it.
Speaker 3: Would be at market rate obviously, or whatever that looks like. Obviously the Bengals aren't charging market rate for the stand because it's too high school enterprises.
Speaker 1: They could never afford that.
Speaker 3: So how do these how do you do you scale that legislatively?
Speaker 2: Then? Right, so we would look and see if there's a way to smooth it out over because I'm grateful to the Bengals. I think the tickets are fifteen dollars for tonight and to cover you know, there's still people working the gate, there's still people working concessions. It's more than just turning the locks off for the day and letting people come in. And so we need to make sure that things are balanced. And what we're going to start as a negotiation place is, uh, they get not market rates for the use of the venue, but what it would have been had it been at Mason High School. And see can it be within twenty percent of what it would have than at Mason High School? And see if either the state subsidizes on the front end or if that's part of the consideration when we are deciding whether or not protect their dollars to go into the renovation or the expansion.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it.
Speaker 3: So this is just a professional stadiums, not not amateur stadium paid public amateur stadiums like the Cleveland Brown Stadium.
Speaker 2: Correct, exactly, like the Cleveland Brown Stadium.
Speaker 3: Big oh, yeah, you don't want to fund the amateur teams up in Cleveland. So it's a different thing. And I'm trying to think there's there's a lot of stadium you think. Okay, well, Cincinnati, Columbus Cleveland, but you know Dayton, Toledo, Youngstown they have I don't know how much public money are those facilities, but that's a lot, right.
Speaker 2: There's there's conversations all over there I know of. I think right across the border in Butler County they're looking at a semi professional or amage or minor league hockey facility. That would be great for the community as well. So anything that we can do to build those types of Friday night lights or those types of touch points for the community to come rather than just the using taxpayer dollars for stadiums where the cheap seats are over one hundred and.
Speaker 3: Some dollars, seems like, you know, it'd have to be a big rivalry game, but getting with all the leagues in Cincinnati, you sell everything else. Is to line up a marquee game every Friday where the Bengals aren't playing, and do that and do it on the regular I think that'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: It would be really neat. And you see both the teams playing tonight and you so this the ticket sold out in forty two minutes while the kids were still in class. And there are two all boys schools and each Friday they sell out their ten thousand stadiums. You knew that there was going to be something big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know the social opportunity you could get a Friday night passed me on, be a season ticket holder if you want to and see all the high school games.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that would appeal to some folks. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The side of this thing is the money factor, because money's always a concern. Representative Adam Matthews. You know some of these you may not get twenty thousand there like we're going to get tonight. But if you got ten thous is that enough to offset the costs of keeping the lights on and keeping the stadium open?
Speaker 1: And if not, isn't that back on the taxpayers? Does that make sense? Right?
Speaker 2: So you'd have to look at that balance to make sure that the money makes sense because not just the lights on, make sure that the harm of the field, make sure that the workers are there, and it will have to make some tod of balance, which is why we're work on this legislation with say, with the pro stadiums and with the professional owners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's got to be a balance.
Speaker 3: Theres like you know, a couple of Division three schools or schools where you're not going to get that much attendance. You know, it doesn't make sense to have it at paycre or something like that just to give kids the experiencing, and that's a substantial cost to the already burden taxpayers of Hamilton County. We don't want to go down that road. Correct tonight should pay for it. I would think it should be at ten dollars parking. I don't know what tickets are, but ticket sales are awesome despite the weather that's going to be extremely bad. But I don't think kids care. But I think you know, if you're getting to play at pay Corps and your kids out there or you know, relatives saying I just a fan of the school. I know a lot of elder and sex grads are going to go tonight just because it's pay Corps, Brian Combs being one of them. So that'd be kind of fun. What's the timeline for getting this done.
Speaker 2: We just went through a marathon session to finish out the House voting for twenty twenty five, so we will be back with legislation in January February to get this really working.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, taking some time off after I don't know what just the what the hell just happened with the CBD thing. I mean I followed closely, more closer than anyone, and I still don't understand all the imaginations and levers and trip wires and everything else that was set up, and why how this thing got so sideways in such a short period of time when it's coming to when it comes to CBD, sash THHC and fuse beverages, it seems to me like I don't there's not much difference beween THHC and alcohol because you're drinking it for an effect. I don't know why we have to get rid of one, especially as populaters. Is that seems to be really anti business, anti small business to me, and also anti choice.
Speaker 2: And part of this the confusion, mean you said you're afraid that the going sideways all at once was we had had through the house something that would allow your five milligrams ten milligram drinks, whether it's at Ryan Geist or fifty West or elsewhere, to be bought on site and taken home. And while it goes through the house, conversations over to the Senate, and the Senate conversations. The federal government made some changes that made a phase out over the next year to get rid of these, and so what we had to do in the Ohio state houses we can't go much further than the feds two and so that is what the final product is is matching what the federal government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the Fed. The Fed forcing your hands on that because federal law. But at the same time, I just there was no impetus for this, and you know, the idea of you know, you're I know, you're around them, but like Nancy Pelosi and you know, well, we got to pass the bill to see what's in it.
Speaker 1: It's it's more the same.
Speaker 3: As much as we talk as conservatives talk about changing the government, that seems to be the same thing that hey, we snuck this in here at the last minute. Trump signed it in the law, and wait, what do we do. We just eliminated it in industry. That's literally saving the craft beer people in Ohio because fewer people are drinking craft beer, more are drinking the THC beverage. It's clear there's consumer demand for it. I don't think the public risk is any greater than alcohol, and clearly many Ohioans, Kentucky Indians want the THC and fused beverages the way they are. Do you think there's hope in the next year that maybe we come up with a better a better way to do this from the federal level.
Speaker 2: I think that there needs to be some transparency. I know that you, as you mentioned, this was part of a long late night negotiation on the federal government to get it back open after the Democrats were not coming to the table in the Senate and the government the government needed to turn back on. So yeah, thick in at the last minute. And uh, but as things continue, and as you hear from the constituents like you or like others, I do think that the federal government is probably going to revisit this.
Speaker 1: I would hope.
Speaker 3: So they're going to have to final point something else you just got through and I wanted to circle back around. And I don't know much about. It's called the Patient Protection Act, and this is your legislation. It targets high risk medications, and that is drugs defined with at least a five percent chance of severe at verse side effects that could lead to death or infection or And this has to do with mail order drugs.
Speaker 1: Well, why this what's this?
Speaker 3: Is this legislation about abortion pills basically or no, this medication.
Speaker 2: Is about any type of medication where like you said five percent, and we saw the terrible story out of Washington State where a college student was getting antidepressive medications telehealth, no no doctor oversight other than their telehealth, so they never got checked on. When he complained to the organization that was prescribing these drugs, they're like, well, we'll just up your dosage. And eventually he died by suicide. And now there's a wrongful death claim in all of this. And we have seen similar things. We just start We're not even through picking up the pieces from the opiate epidemic, which was similar. We've had other medications, and some opponents are are focused thing on abortion pills, and there are some studies along this, but any type of medication, we want to have a stated of care that if you're playing a board game and you roll the dice, and if if you're rolling the dice and you roll a three, and that means you're going to have organ failure, septist or sent to the hospital with tim or Jane or infections, that's pretty high odds. And this isn't banning any medication. It just says before you get something that is one out of twenty sending you to the hospital, you just need to see a doctor before and then have a doctor check on you afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I see what you're saying there. But you know, the claim though, is a what a five percent mortality rate? That there aren't any drugs that have a five percent mortality rate that would that would never forget through through trials.
Speaker 2: Uh, there there have been, and sometimes we are we see this afterwards where uh would you have an FDA trial? It is where you have people taking the medication clinically according to every single rule versus how people actually are using it right, and then that that difference can get to have this type of danger.
Speaker 3: Well you can, I mean, you know, op, it's a great example of that. You can become addicted, and we've cracked on that and obviously, but I mean the thing if you're talking about this is somehow a product liability thing. Oh hi, we already have malpractice laws and state boards and FDA oversight and all that stuff, and of course litigation as well. Doesn't that balance things out?
Speaker 2: So you have both on the front and the backside. Just in medication, you do things that are that help you and then stick some problem afterwards. This is a standard of care to make sure that you're getting good care on the front end. Malpractice is only after things have already gone bad. Okay, So we are making sure that both you have a good dinner. This care. We are bolstering the relationships between the patient and the doctor. Hey. And then yeah, as you mentioned, malpractice if things go wrong, but we're trying to avoid those things so wrong because sometimes that money will not six oregan failure or death.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Okay.
Speaker 3: The big question, of course, Rocky boyman texting me wants to know if he can still get his ed medicine uh in a in a brown bag.
Speaker 1: Delivered to his house. So that is that in jeopardy. Okay.
Speaker 3: H Adam Matthews a state representative. Always loved the town, always love us spending time chatting. Thanks again, and good luck with the UH. We'll call it the Elder Saint X Legislation. UH to allow more young people to play in stadiums like pay Corps and maybe Heritage Bank Center, maybe t Q well, places like that would be awesome and great American Ballpark of course, all the best. Thanks again, have a great holiday, you take care.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: That's Adam Matthews on the show. Scott Sloan here on the Big One seven hundred WLW. And when we return it is the weekend. Ally's here a little Thanksgiving lineup for you if you're like her, and maybe you know you don't have family around you just want to get away from things to do, especially for as you know, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, big bar night. She's got your covered. Next Sloane. He rolls on after this on seven hundred WLW