Speaker 1: Now an exclusive interview with David Basse Say or Dodger Talker. We're in the mile high and it hasn't got us yet. I'm joined right now by Dodgers super reliever Evan Phillips. Evan, thanks a lot for the time. I appreciate it, Yes, sir, anytime. So you've been here enough times now, how do you handle being a mile high above sea level?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's a I honestly love coming to the games here. I think the ballpark's beautiful. The bullpen's definitely a different vibe down there than you see at a lot of ballparks, you know. Aside from that kind of stuff and the physical adjustments we have to make being here for a three game series, there are some small, like subtle things I change on the mound just to try to, you know, execute execute pitches better, just the way the ball gets impacted.
Speaker 3: But like you said, I've been here a hand full of times now, so I feel like I've got a good grasp on what I need to do.
Speaker 2: And truthfully, I feel like it's kind of a it's beneficial for the rest of the season because it's kind of like just getting back to the foundation and the fundamentals of what I do well there in the mound.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean I've gotten gotten used to it and hopefully we can get a few wins here.
Speaker 1: Are you saying, when you go back to the fundamentals, you have to be more mindful of that here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great way to put it, just being a bit more mindful of how I'm trying to execute and where I'm trying to throw the pitches out there, just because.
Speaker 3: I feel like when I haven't performed well here, it's been because of laps in.
Speaker 2: Execution, and that could just come from a small mechanical flaw that maybe you get away with sometimes, but here you're not going to get away with it as much.
Speaker 1: Evan Phillips is our guest. I had a first pitch between the Dodgers and Rockies. You're a great guy to talk to because I've been talking about you and preaching to people that have never gone through an arm surgery that it's really difficult to go through it and then be thrown into the fire in the middle of the season. How have you been able to manage all that? And do you feel like you're getting closer to where you believe you should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think, you know, I didn't know how hard it was going to be until yeah, getting back really at this level and competing out here on a consistent basis. But yeah, there's just been you know, small things really within every outing that I've thrown and where I wish I could have that one moment back. So just what I've done differently to try to circumvent that is to be a.
Speaker 3: Bit more mindful of, you know, my practice reps.
Speaker 2: Similarly, just playing in Colorado, just kind of taking my throwing program daily back to the fundamentals of what I think I need to do well to have success, and I have seen progress. So it's been itching to get back out there after every outing, just to continue to get all these reps built up that way, you know, when the game's really you know, start to count, you know, down the stretch and into the postseason, I'm ready to be at my best.
Speaker 3: You're not the only one.
Speaker 1: Edwin Diaz had surgery during the season. He's the closer, and he's expected to come in where the tension is the highest. How much do we fully not appreciate what he has to come back from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think similarly to my situation. Right, just we don't really have the luxury of getting too much of a soft landing when it comes to like getting back into games like Edwind's the closer, I have expectations to.
Speaker 3: Be, you know, part of the back end mix as well.
Speaker 2: And when you get into those situations, you just want to perform. You're not worried about, you know, the lack of repetitions that you missed out on because of injury. So for Edwin's case, you know, similar to myself, just got to keep on running back out there, hopefully get him a few more opportunities with a bigger lead to Hey, you know, let him take a deep breath out there and get through the outing more comfortably.
Speaker 3: But he's gonna be just fine.
Speaker 2: This guy is one of the best pitchers on the planet, one of the best closers we've ever seen here. So you're gonna give him some more time, more reps, and he'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Evan Phillips as one of the highest baseball IQs I've met of any player since I've been doing this with the Dodgers, So I don't want to just put him in the box of talking about the bullpen and his comrades down there. What do you feel about the team and where it's at right now, and how encouraging is it to have the starting pitchers that you guys have now in the rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not just our starters, but you know what our lineups capable of doing. I think even within a stretch like this, everybody knows what we're capable of one hundred and sixty two game season, and we've got you know, bigger aspirations beyond that as well. So I think little ruts like this are just you know, part of the long season. So it's kind of magnified right now because I think every facet of the game is having a moment or two of struggling base running, fielding, and starting pitching at times or relievers at times.
Speaker 3: So it's just a mix of putting it all together.
Speaker 2: And when it does, it's you know, we've already seen what this team can do and the ceiling that this group can have. So we'll just you know, keep on plugging away because I promise, like the work inside each and every day hasn't waivered, you know, our guys, or our leadership with our our veterans and our superstars.
Speaker 3: You know, they're those guys are the hardest workers on the team.
Speaker 2: So those guys set the tone every single day and set the standard for us.
Speaker 1: And then can you take us inside a little bit? Obviously not too inside, but the Dodgers are the only team in baseball that has a player's only playing where you guys fly to these different cities players only. Do you guys talk the game on those flights or is it no baseball talk? Is that where you guys can actually hammer out whatever is going on in these type of situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a mix, and I think it all started mostly it's just as a camaraderie thing. I think we started doing it the twenty four postseason as a way to just you know, really dig in with that time together and you know that way when you're out on the field, you're playing for you know, a brother out there more so than just like a teammate that you would on any other day. But you know, if those conversations need to happen, I don't think anyone will shy away from having it, and even if it's here in the clubhouse. Right So the travel has been great, but I think it's more so just a way to get the guys together more. All of our guys, most of our guys have families, you know, so this season takes us away from things of the personal, you know, side of life. But you know, while we're in season, I think everyone's decided that it's best that we stay as connected as possible.
Speaker 1: Is there what they used to call players only meetings? Does that still happen? Have you experienced that this year?
Speaker 2: You know, that's something that's you know, seldomly been done here. It was my time with the Dodgers, I think, you know, Dave Roberts has such a good grasp on the clubhouse and kind of lets us you handle the business each and every day. There have been moments here and there where you know, I know, the bullpen, we got the guys together last year at one point. But we do that kind of stuff, you know, every few weeks, just to kind of check in with each other.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's a you know, we're a different group done there.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of personalities coming in and out of the clubhouse from time to time, so we take a lot of pride and like keeping that unit solidified. But you know, same kind I would imagine the same thing goes for the guys that work in the cages. Right, you just have little conversations here and there, but you know, not no formal, you know, team meetings as of yet. I think we've had to do a couple in my time here with the Dodgers, but we'll seem to be more and more rare because of how Doc leads this team.
Speaker 1: Thank you for explaining that, Evan, you're the best. Appreciate the time, and definitely you will handle course Field and hopefully the Dodger starters starting with tonight's snail Zilla bump Day. You guys will be used minimally.
Speaker 3: Hey, we'll take whatever we can get. We're always ready down there.
Speaker 2: You know that