Speaker 1: This is world champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here regard again. We're gay running.
Speaker 1: Back hosted by Dodgers in Cider David Bassi.
Speaker 3: How are ye threepeat?
Speaker 2: In the mix.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycle Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer.
Speaker 1: We got this to get him on the show called eight.
Speaker 4: Six six, nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Basset.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome the Dodger Talk on an off night, a day off for the Dodgers, but no off nights for Dodger Talk here on five seventy LA Sports. We're with you until eight o'clock tonight here on five seventy LA Sports. And we have two great guests coming on the show. Had a chance to sit down with Dave Roberts in his office and we'll share that conversation with you coming up in eight minutes. Also at the bottom of the hour, ESPN's best Buster Only will join us to give his thoughts on the Dodgers where they stand in the three peat because he did cover the Yankees when they went for the three peat and even wrote a book about it, so he has pretty good perspective on that. Kyle Tucker, and also the MVP race between Shohei Otani and p Crow Armstrong. I also have three pairs of tickets to give away tonight between now and eight o'clock for Sunday's Dodger game against the Pirates. It happens to be snail Zilla Sunday. That's right, Blake Snell will take the mound again at Dodgers Stadium this Sunday against the Pirates. A very short homestand for the Dodgers after a very short road trip to Denver, where the Dodgers swept the Rockies, and I guess kind of got back on track with their offense. They scored twenty four runs in the three game sweep of the Rockies, they scored eleven runs in the first game, and we're able to have better at bats now. I'm not going to say that I'm sold that the Dodgers have brought back the focus and the quality at bats after three games at Course Field against one of, if not the worst pitching staff in baseball, but I will say this, we saw a little bit more focus and intent by the Dodgers in those three games, even with them playing the Rockies and just before each one of those three games. It could have been the fact that the Dodgers were at the end of playing thirteen in a row, coming to an end of an arduous August schedule. It could have been those things. But I like to believe that the Dodgers understood the task at hand after losing three out of four to the Brewers, that hey, these three games they needed to get, and they got the job done. They did what they were supposed to do. They swept the Rockies. They now have a two game lead in the lost call over the Braves for the number two seed in the National League playoff picture. And they got their three best starters on the mound this weekend at Dodgers Stadium, Yamamoto tomorrow night, Schooble on Saturday, and Blake Snell on Sunday. Also a little kicker to this series, the Dodgers won't see Paul Skeens, who has had somewhat of a down year this year. He was supposed to start last Sunday, but because of some of the issues he's had. The Pirates decided to give him some extra rest and started him on Wednesday against the Tigers. So the Dodgers will not see Paul Skeens in this three game series. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Just a little pullback the curtain here on the Dodgers and their travel from Denver to la last night. I did not get back to my home in the San Fernando Valley until four am this morning. The Dodger planes multiple planes, right, players only plane. Staff plane did not land at LAX until about two thirty this morning. By the time the people that decided to leave their cars at Dodgers Stadium got back there, it was about three ten this morning. And the reason for that is even though the Dodgers fly two planes, they are looking out for each other, meaning well, mostly the player's plane. If the staff plane broke down, I'm not sure anybody outside of Dave Roberts and the coaching staff would be a jumping on that bird. But nonetheless, if the player's plane has some mechanical issues, the staff plane has to wait for them. And that's exactly what took place last night. As we were trying to leave Denver. The staff plane ready to go. We were no mechanical issues, ready to go get off the ground, but the player's only plane had some mechanical issues for whatever reason, it wasn't starting. Yeah, the plane wasn't starting, so we had to wait for them to see whether or not they can fix that plane to get it to start before the staff plane could leave. So basically the staff, the coaching staff, Dave Roberts, Mark Pryor, Dino Ebel, everybody, Eric Carrouse, Stephen Nelson, Rick Monday were in my vicinity. Those and the trainers and the Japanese support staff for Roki was on our plane as well. That's the way it flies. We had to wait almost two hours to see whether or not they can get help to start their plane, which eventually happened. But if that player's only plane was not able to start, they would have had to crawl to the staff plane and join us on the staff plane. But that's the reason why today's off day, I'm sure for the players, was not really an off day. I'm sure they slept like I did until twelve o'clock this afternoon. But that's life in the big that's the glamorous life. Can't just brow out with Jonas Knox and talk about limb biscuit for fifteen minutes to end your show. You gotta really grind it out on a major league schedule. So here we are Dodger Talk with a great spirit. I'm happy to talk to you. I'm happy to give away three pairs of tickets to Sunday's game to see, in my opinion, the best lefty on the Dodgers staff so far since the since the trade deadline. To me, there's no doubt in my mind that Blake Snell in his two starts has been more dominant than Schooble in his three starts. Now, I'm not rooting for that, but I'm just saying, can we give Snell a little shine here? Everybody talks about schoobl Blake Snell has proven it on the big stage last October that he can pitch on the road in a hostile environment in Philadelphia and Milwaukee and deliver. And we're waiting to see whether or not school ball can do that for the Dodgers this year. Eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number I know. There's been a lot of talk and focus about Kyle Tucker, but in my mind, in my world, he's not the only guy that should take the burden, the brunt of the burden of why the Dodger offense for the last six weeks has not been hitting on all cylinders. Freddie Freeman was in a little bit of a slump for the first time this year. Otani was in a little bit of a slump for the first time since April. Andy Paz has been consistent. Max Munsey has had sixty seven big hits to win games since the All Star break. But the Dodgers all season long basically have gotten virtually any consistency if anything, from not only Tucker, but Mookie Betts and Taoscar Hernandez. They need those guys. And you know talk of not having focus or maybe you know, taking it easy or pacing yourself for the postseason, I could see that in the case of Mooki and Taoscar Hernandez, because they know what it's all about and they know how to pace themselves for that. Last year at this time, Mooki Betts started to turn around his season. But the Dodgers need Taoscar Hernandez. And I'm a big believer in october Ta Oscar and I think he is going to deliver big But until then, I think the Dodgers need a little bit more from those three guys. And things are going to change when Will Smith returns, which should be in September, probably the beginning of September. The Dodger offense will will definitely get a boost when he returns, but with or without Will Smith, they need those three guys behind the first four. And after the game last night, Dave Roberts said that he saw a good look in Mookie Betts before the game yesterday, and I asked Moki whether or not he knew what that meant and explained how he's feeling these days.
Speaker 5: I have no idea, Yeah, I have no idea. I try and have a good positive look every day. Some days are tougher than others. But maybe I got a good night's sleep and I had a little energy, and especially off a rough day yesterday, I really wanted to come and help the boys today.
Speaker 3: You guys have had a lot of miles on you the last couple of years. Finishing a stretch like this, thirteen in a row, having a day off like how much does that help you guys moving forward into the rest of audice.
Speaker 5: We mean, I don't know. I mean, you know, like you said, we've played a lot, A lot of guys are on the oder end of the baseball career, and so.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 5: I think we viewed more as wisdom. You know, we know how to make it, make it through the season and through these long stretches. We know how to make it and be okay and understand that sometimes you play good through them and sometimes you don't. But the most important thing is showing up and being ready, and we were able to do it, you know, in the finish out this thirteen game.
Speaker 3: Street all right, there's Mookie bets And I thought that was a really honest answer and lends itself to my theory that he and Taoscar Hernandez and even some of the other players understand how to get through the dog days of August and be ready on the other side for September into October, because that's when you want to be swinging the bat your best and playing your best. And I think Mooki definitely falls into that category. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number all right, we'll get to Dave Roberts in five minutes, but we do have basically a full board of calls, so I want to get to them before we break. Usually don't take calls in the first segment, but let's do it because we got Dave Roberts and Buster one coming up later in the show. Let's go out to Kenyon Country. Raoul, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi, Raoul, Raoul, let's try it again. Let's I'm gonna change this, Ronnie really quick. I thought I had it lined up, but one second, this is technical issues from a remote site. I usually do the shows, as you guys know, from Dodgers Stadium, and I have to definitely line it up. But can we punch up, Raoul, Ronnie if you have a chance. Hey, Raoul, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hey, David. How you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 6: So I just want to spread the word. A bunch of us Dodger fans on social media are going to give Kyle Tucker a standing ovation on his first at bat, give him some maybe lift them up a little bit. A lot of negativity has gone his way. I just want to put it out there, everybody that's going to be at the stadium tomorrow during his first at bat, Please let's give him a standing No, let's give him some motivation. We're gonna need Kyle Tucker for the stretch run, and yeah, let's let's support our boys in blue. They're going to be struggled. There's I'm almost struggling.
Speaker 2: We get it.
Speaker 6: It's a long season, but I know I have a feeling that Kyle's gonna come up big for us in October. So we're excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be big, Raoul. You know, he's only hitting one ninety at Dodger Stadium. I think we all know by now what I brought up a couple of weeks ago, because it's become a trend where he has performed better on the road than at home. So I like the spirit of that, Raoul, and I like that it's kind of a grassroots thing and something positive on social media because there's a lot of negativity on social media. I can't be the one to do that, Raoul, because if you remember last year, I'm the one that sparked you and the fans to give Mookie Betts a standing ovation because he has a lot of credit in this city and he deserved that positive reinforcement. And the fans obviously listen to Dodger Talk, so that that worked out pretty well after I started that. So I like the fans. If that's what you guys want to do, I'm not going to say not do it. But I can't be here every year saying give certain players a standing ovation.
Speaker 6: Well, we're gonna do it, you know. I invite everybody to do it as well. Let's go Dodgers. It's a stretch run. I'll be there with my boy Abraham.
Speaker 7: We're going to be.
Speaker 6: Cheering and let's go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Dave.
Speaker 6: By the way, the podcast works beautifully on the iHeart from the iHeartRadio app. I listen to it every morning driving into work. I can't listen every night, but it it.
Speaker 3: It's it's great, awesome, Raoul, Thank you, and have a great time at the game tomorrow. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, if I know you listen. Obviously I was the one that started the underswell of support for Mookie Betts last year to give him a standing ovation. He obviously didn't know that it was me. Because I never got to thank you. But anyway, I'm happy the fans are doing that for Kyle Tucker because I had stually like Kyle Tucker personally. I've gotten to know him as much as possible this year, but I am a I am a Kyle Tucker fan as a person, and I obviously know how much better he can be at Dodger Stadium. So I think I think that would be a cool moment if Dodger fans gave him a standing ovation tomorrow. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Barbara. Valerie. You're on Dodger Talk. How are you doing, Valerie.
Speaker 8: Great?
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 8: Ah?
Speaker 3: I will I got to bet at four am, woke up at noon. I'm doing good, Valerie.
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, And I just wanted to say I do believe in it's Tucker.
Speaker 2: I think he I'll do a little plum, but I think all the players aren't.
Speaker 1: I vacuum.
Speaker 6: I think he's got a pull through and.
Speaker 1: I think he's getting a lot of people out out of the clock for that right now.
Speaker 3: But Brady, say good, all right, Valerie, thank you for the phone call eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Always positive vibes in Santa Barbara, I would expect nothing less. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we will hear from manager Dave Roberts as part of our Managers Meeting presented by Downey Hunday and right now, Caller twelve, you'll receive a pair of tickets for Sunday's game, one of my three pairs of tickets to give away tonight. Caller twelve at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy will receive a pair of tickets for Sunday's game courtesy of your only place for the latest and most exclusive Dodger news, as well as the only place you can listen to the back to back world champion Dodgers right here on five seventy LA Sports and five seventy LA Sports and the Managers Meeting taking place today, presented by Downy Hunday with the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Dave. Good to sit with you and chat, you know, coming off a couple of wins here in Denver, so in a good place right now. Offense is kind of rebounded, pitching has been good, so you know, want to close these guys out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to get the pulse of you and the team. After a couple of games here in Denver, what are the vibes? Are you convinced things are going in the right direction?
Speaker 2: I am, you know, I'm not totally still appreciating results matter, just kind of how we've gone about things the last couple of days. You know, I think the team at bats and what I mean by that is, you know, swinging a strikes, taking balls, our swing percentage is lower, our chase rate is lower, and then the production's gone up, and I can see that from everyone in the lineup. So that's something to bet on going forward. So yeah, I think that we stacked a couple of days together and just kind of the vibe right now. Guys are feeling good. They're looking forward to that off day coming up tomorrow, and then we've got another one on Monday, So you know, guys are in a good spot.
Speaker 3: Dave, You've taught us a lot over the years, but the one thing that stands out to me is how you've talked about earning good counts, which in turn has good results. Where does that come from individually and collectively?
Speaker 2: Well, I think first it is collectively in the sense of really understanding that that philosophy and buying into it, and then individually just understanding that, yeah, you get four balls for a walk, three balls for a strikeout, but they're all valuable, right, and so that dictates what a pitcher is going to do, what he can do, what he can't do. And so you know, you take that first pitch slider off, you're one to know you've earned a better opportunity, whether that they want to be too fine again and nibble, then you could be too to zero. And so those are things that I think that you continue to earn good counts and then you look at the body of work. Then you look at you're in good counts, and then you have more production.
Speaker 3: Since you took over. I remember being next to your dugout and those group of players and yourself would always be screaming at the hitter at the plate, keep going, keep going. Do you feel like that's the identity you have to rediscover?
Speaker 2: I do, you know, and we have it as part of our DNA, But I think sometimes in a one sixty two marathon, you know, it's a grind, and every hitter will say that. Then it gets kind of lost a little bit, and you got to kind of bring that to the forefront. And yeah, you could be O two and you know, you win a pitch right there, you get back to one two, and you just keep going and you you, you know, in max months he did it a couple of nights ago where he was O two and one, a couple pitches, got back to two to two, spoiled a two to two inside heater, and then got to three. Then the next pitch was a homer. You know, So those are things that you keep fighting, you keep going, and not just just wave the white flag.
Speaker 3: Dave your Best Player show. Hey Otani told me last night, Yes, it was nice to hit his thirtieth home run of the year, but he was lamenting the fact that his other ad bats he wasn't able to drive in runs in those situations. Is that a good feeling, a good tone setter from the best player?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 2: And I think that everyone praises the homer and the things that you can kind of see, but you know, not getting a guy in from third base, not getting a guy over second base. Those are things when you have great players that lament as you said, you know, value those things, and you know that's when you have a championship culture and you know, to hear Show Hey say that, that kind of that gives me goosebumps.
Speaker 3: I love it. Dave Roberts with goosebumps here. I got another question for Otani in last night. I asked him whether or not he's paying attention to what PCA is doing in Chicago. He would not concede that he is, But how much do you believe the MVP and the way PCA is pushing him this year is a factor going down the stretch.
Speaker 2: You know, Show he's always going to want to be his best version right and realize whatever expectation he has for himself. But obviously I think he's a very smart in tune player that it's hard not to ignore that. And you know, you only get so many chances to be an MVP, and obviously he's done it, you know, many times over. But you know, you got another guy making some noise, so I'm certain he's aware of it, but it certainly doesn't play into his every at that kind of mindset. But I'm glad. It's funny that he played Little koy.
Speaker 3: What about the pitching side of it? Everybody keeps debating PA's defense and Otani's fourteen starts this year. Where are we with the possibility of Otani returning.
Speaker 2: Well, he's had two good bullpen sessions right around thirty five pitches, and he's either gonna, you know, throw another bullpen here at home over the weekend, or do a live session at some point soon, a one inning session to build off of that. But I could see early September him, you know, coming back and you know, building up from an inning to two innings and going forward.
Speaker 3: Are you comfortable with all that, doing what you did last year with the rehab starts being at the major league level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we all are. We're all aligned from show Hey to the front office, to the training staff, coaching staff, and he's one of our best pitchers, so any inning we can get from him is certainly valuable and additive. So yeah, we're we're good with it.
Speaker 3: The manager's meeting is presented by Downey Hunday. We're in the manager's office with the great Dave Roberts. You obviously had to put Edwin Diaz back on the IL. Whatever's happening with the neck and him getting back on track, does he have enough time to show whether or not he can be a weapon for you in the postseason or is he running out of time?
Speaker 2: He certainly has enough time. What we came back, what came back from the doctors with the MRI, nothing, There was no founding, So that was good. And so now it's just kind of, you know, get back to feeling good, feeling good like yourself. There's some things that we can do to loosen up the neck, but for me, it's he's one of our best pitch He will be, you know, We'll give him every opportunity, obviously to be on the postseason roster. And I don't know what role he'll have when he comes back, and I know he wants to earn that opportunity, that right to be at the back end. But yeah, get him back to health, get him back on the roster, and then we'll see where we go from there.
Speaker 3: You guys are still trying to win games, still trying to position yourselves in the top two seeds. Does the best thirteen pitchers start to enter your mind? Or are we a little bit too early for that.
Speaker 2: I think right now it's a little premature, but I think that when we get into the middle of September then it starts to we kind of hone in on that a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I know you talked about this a couple of times as well, but I'd be remiss if I didn't ask you about the conversations you've had with Kyle Tucker, how you're trying to manage him. And I guess the biggest thing that everybody's asking, does he have somebody to lean on? Or are you that guy?
Speaker 2: You know what, I hope on that guy. I think that I'm proactively intentionally building a relationship with him, and you know, he's a hard guy to get to know and build trust with, and but you know, I think that we've made a lot of end roads and I feel really good with our relationship and just kind of making sure he's not alone in this and he's got teammates and staff that are supporting him. But I definitely want to be a person that, you know, for counsel and support. That's part of my job. So I thought last night was a good sign. I thought, defensively he was much more active defensively. I thought they had that that he had the double was great and the intent, so let's just keep stacking it and kind of make sure that he restores his confidence.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, you got to win the day, and Dave Roberts is going to win today, tomorrow, and on Saturday. Dave Roberts is going to be at one of my favorite places, Cardboard Legends, starting at ten thirty out there in Van Eyes, and Dave's going to be out there kissing baby, be sunning autographs, having a great time in my neck of the woods. Have you ever been to Van Eyes, Dave? Do you know what Van Eyes is all about?
Speaker 2: I have been into the valley. I do love Van Eyes, and I don't do these things very often, but this is gonna be funny. It's a chance for me to get with the fans, be personal, shake hands, as you said, kiss babies, and take photos and do some signing. So this is fun. You know. I'll be out there for a couple hours and then get ready to manage a ball game. But I really enjoyed Thanks for bringing that up.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got goosebumps. You're gonna be in the Great one.
Speaker 2: Eight that's right, that's right. Absolutely, I love that. I love your hood, Dave.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the time, Dave. Enjoy your day off. And obviously the Dodgers are doing pretty well these days with seventy six wins in counting. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave, we'll catch up next week. Can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure Dave Roberts can't wait either. That was the Manager's Meeting presented by Downy Hundai, the only place an exclusive on one interview with the three time World Series winning manager Dave Roberts, and he gave us some insight on Otani. He's going to be back pitching in rehab major league games like he did last year in the beginning of September. And he did say Edwin Diaz has time to come back to prove whether or not he can be on the Dodgers pitching staff in the postseason. So, uh, those were the two things that really stuck out to me. And he hopes he can be the guy that Kyle Tucker can lean on. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Ronnie, tell me the name again? Who won the pair of tickets the first pair of tickets I'm giving away, Sam yem Sam, congratulations. Where is he from Van Eyes? He's from the eight one to eight? Yes, all right. I love that. I love when somebody from the valley wins. Let's go out to Fullerton. Marlon, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Marlin?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing great.
Speaker 3: Dave doing great.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to say, you know, there's time for Diaz, you know, straighten him out. I like the move, you know, putting him on the d L. He's just flying open. So mechanics has a big thing to do with his problems. But he's got plenty of time. But Tanner's God has really emerged. Okay, that's gonna be a great one two punch down the road, so that's always nice to have. And then one match thing David real quick. We don't really seem to have a bag stealer, a base stealer. So I haven't heard much about Hasan Kim. What's he doing down there? Is he playing good ball? Does he have a chance to make the postseason roster because we're gonna need a dude to steal a bag and right now I don't see that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see him being that guy on the postseason roster unless the Dodgers decide to use him as a pinch runner. But the one part about it, Marlin, was, yes, he has a lot of speed, but he wasn't really a great base runner. And I think that's where he needs to improve. And I feel like Dalton Rushing is going to be the last guy on the bench because they need a left handed bat as a threat if they're facing a predominant right handed bullpen right handed staff in the postseason. He can swing, but he can't catch. So hey, Marlin, since you seem to be a very educated Dodger fan with a great spirit, would you like a pair of tickets for snell Zilla Sunday?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can't boom, you got it? That would be that would be all right awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you, hey, thank you for the only place you can listen to Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 7: Marlin five, seventy two time world champion Dodger Station. Baby, you know it.
Speaker 3: We'll see you on Sunday for snell Zilla Bump Day. Let's go out to Long Beach. John You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Hey, Dave good Man, Johnny, I got my daughter.
Speaker 10: Here with me, Madison say, hey, no, we're looking for no.
Speaker 7: I just want to say, what do you want to.
Speaker 2: Welcome?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, uh no, one of my one of my guys from work.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 10: I want to say, you know, the Dodgers are looking a little tired, kind of like the two thousand and eight, two thousand Lakers, two thousand and nine Lakers. I know, we don't want to get that bad as you, Drew, but I think you know the U two thousand and one Dodgers when they brought in Horace Grant. You know, I think Kyle Tucker could kind of be that.
Speaker 9: It's not really good comparison. But hey, we'll see and.
Speaker 10: Real quick, just want to see what are your thoughts on show? Hey closing and Rookie closing.
Speaker 5: Those are my two questions.
Speaker 3: All right, John, thank you for the phone call. Be safe with your daughter Madison in the car. I feel like I wouldn't rule out the possibility, especially if Edwin Diaz is not closing out games, and considering the three championships the Dodgers have won with Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts, no quote closer has recorded the last out. Julio Orias, and it was Walker Buehler of course in twenty four and last year the World Series MVP Yama Moto, So I wouldn't put it past Otani being that guy if the Dodgers need him. But Roki certainly is at the top of my list to be the Dodgers closer again in the postseason. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. More of your phone calls and also Buster only from ESPN will join us as well as we take you to the top of the hour. Dodgers and Pirates start a three game series, a short homestand starting tomorrow night with Yama Moto on the mound, first pitch at seven ten right here on five seventy. LA Sports the Manager's Meeting every week. The next time we do it will be when the Dodgers are in Atlanta. Yeah, can you believe the Dodgers are only back for three games this weekend against the Pirates. But you better show up and show out because the Dodgers have Yama Moto on the mound tomorrow night. They got Scooball on the mound on Saturday. That game is at four point fifteen. And on Sunday, the one and only snel Zilla will be on the mound to close out this very short and brief three game Homestand and then the Dodgers have Monday as a travel day and we'll head back to the East Coast against the Atlanta Braves, a team that they're trying to beat out for one of the top two seeds in the National League. Right now, the Dodgers have a two game lead in the lost column over the Braves. The Brewers have the best record in baseball, of course, but are definitely within reach in the final month of the season. And then the Dodgers from Atlanta will head to Motown and take on the Tigers to close out a six game road trip. Our good friend Kenley Jansen bleue a save yesterday in Pittsburgh, but he is closing in on five hundred career saves. Kenley has four hundred and ninety two. Will he get one of those on the way to five hundred against his former team. Kenley, by the way, as you know, the man that has the most saves and Dodger franchise history three hundred and fifty. He is well on his way to Cooperstown. A man that has seen many great closers, a lot of great players, has a Hall of Fame vote, and is one of the most respected voices in Major League Baseball. Has a great podcast, Baseball Tonight, every day on the iHeartRadio app you can find it as well. And a guy that knows all about covering a team going for a three peat. He covered the last team to three peat, the Yankees from ninety eight to two thousand. This close to a four pet Buster only wrote a book about it, The Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty. And Buster joins us right now from Lake George, not Vermont, but Lake George. Buster, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Jab say how are you doing? Working hard as always you are. You are a workhorse.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and I really appreciate you taking the time out from your vacation on Lake George. And look, it's Dodgers twenty four to seven in LA. Nothing else matters, and just curious from your standpoint, you know where this team is at compared to the team that you covered. The last team to three peat, the Yankees, who only won eighty seven games in the regular season, of two thousand.
Speaker 8: That's exactly right, and then that's you know there there have been a number of instances in recent years where you know, you see what the Dodgers are going through in the defense of their titles, and it does totally remind me.
Speaker 9: Of those teams, because you know, when when that.
Speaker 8: Team is spoken of, it's like, yeah, they you know, they they won four championships in five years, they won three straight.
Speaker 9: And it sounds as if, you know, it was just it was something that was just meant to be and.
Speaker 8: It was no problem. There were times when that team was incredibly vulnerable, when they were in real trouble, and they would find a way to prevail. And you know, by the time you got to their you know, third and four championships in ninety nine and two thousand, the experience that they had from previous postseasons became a real weapon once October started. So, you know, knowing that journey that they had and seeing what the Dodgers are going through, I'm like, uh huh, I've seen that before. For example, last weekend, when Dave Roberts lamented the offense, talked about the need to play clean games. Look, I heard Joe Tory make those speeches in two thousand and two thousand and you know, nineteen nine, nine, ninety nine, and two thousand and one where he felt like that the team.
Speaker 9: Either lost its focus, or maybe they were a little.
Speaker 8: Board at times, or maybe the you know, the regular season was just too long. And then he would say things like that, and the subtext was enough is enough, let's go we check up. So I wasn't surprised that Dave said that, and I wasn't surprised that the Dodgers responded.
Speaker 3: Did those Yankees treat the regular season as a formality? And do you believe the Dodgers are treating this like a formality.
Speaker 8: So I it's interesting because I look in ninety nine and two thousand, the regular season got harder for those Yankee teams because they played in really important games, and so it was a slog for them when you got, you know, in mid August and they would get swept by.
Speaker 9: A you know, a bad team.
Speaker 8: For sure.
Speaker 9: It's interesting because I thought last.
Speaker 8: Year was more of a slog for the Dodgers. It felt at times like they got bored.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 8: I don't think that's as much of an issue as they have real concerns. You know, Will Smith to me is the number one, you know, not having him a catcher on a regular basis. I think he's one of the most underrated players in baseball, and his absence I think hurts, you know, Kyle Tucker, the amount of money they invested in him. They need some retur that certainly has not gone well. Mookie Bett's slow offensively, you know, in addition to the fact that they've had, you know, guys like Blake Snell and Tyler Glasnew get hurt. I don't know if you agree with me, but I felt like last year at times they got bored. I feel that less this year, and I think it's more about, Yeah, they actually have some problems they have to sort through. And again, you know the Yankee teams I covered, they went through similar patterns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you, Buster. It did feel that way last year and this year they're just trying to find a way to get certain key players back on track. And as much as Kyle Tucker and the Dodgers insisted that he would be able to go under the radar, here, when it's August and we see the season that he's had and you have that price tag next to you. It's hard to go under the radar. Buster, you've covered Kyle Tucker going back to his rookie days with the Astros. What do you believe? Do you believe he felt the pressure of having that ice tag next to his name.
Speaker 8: I don't know how you can't feel that pressure. And it was so interesting last weekend when he got booeds, you know, misplaying the fly ball on right field, because you know, for the Yankee players, if you were a star coming in from the outside and you struggled, I mean, you were gonna hear it on the first day of the regular season in Dodger Stadium. It's just different. And so to hear those booze for him, Bradwin Diaz, these are guys who are stars elsewhere coming in and you know, expected to be important pieces for their effort to go back to back to back, and it just hasn't worked out. I was actually a little.
Speaker 9: Surprised that.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers invested that kind of money in him, because he really struggled the last three and a half months last year. So it certainly was injury. But there were other teams that I spoke with who said, look, the Cubs knew him better than anybody. They made zero effort to sign him, and so there were clearly signs of, you know, the questions about his performance coming to this year. But the you know, the Mets and then the Dodgers, they were all in and they believe that this guy's really talented player, and it's very possible that he's going to come back. But man, that is a hard thing to do to resurrect yourself late in the season, in in October, especially now, because you're right when when he initially signed with the Dodgers, we thought he could slide under the radar. There's a lot of focus on him now because of what they're paying him and how poorly this season has gone for him.
Speaker 3: Buster Only as our guest from ESPN. He's got a great podcast, Baseball Tonight, to keep up with everything around Major League Baseball. You've also covered Mookie Beds since he was a rookie with the Red Sox. He's got six more years on his contract. He has a lot more credit in the city of Los Angeles winning three World Series championships, but it's been a struggle and a grind for him again this year. He's hitting for the majority of the year, about two thirty is on base has been below three hundred. What do you what do you see for Muki the rest of the season. And I guess, I guess My point is, Buster is that Tucker's not the only guy that's been struggling. The Dodgers need they name Muki, they need Tale, and they need Tucker to start to come alive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think that my instinct is is that Moki and Tao, once.
Speaker 9: You get into more meaningful games, it.
Speaker 8: Feels inevitable that they will raise their game as well. Now, look, Father Time is undefeated, Moki's getting older, uh you know, Tao's getting older, and we'll see if that actually happens. But that's where the experience can be a weapon. That's where once you get, you know, into postseason games, you know, these are two players who played in the in the biggest games, and their heart rate will be under control, and I think they'll respond. You know, the fact that he's shortstop, you know it has has been again, it's been good as it was last year, So that gives you hope. It's not just a physical issue that he's in regression, but certainly some of the underlying metrics on MOOKI have not been as good. I just I just think that, you know, there's some players when push comes to shove.
Speaker 9: In big moments, they're going to respond.
Speaker 8: I think he's one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tao has done that as well. Buster only is our guest from ESPN before I let you go, Buster, and again appreciate you taking time out of your vacation on Lake George. The MVP race it's a real thing now. It's a subplot to the season. Pete crow Armstrong and show Hey Otani, where do you land? Right now? As far as who's the front runner, I.
Speaker 8: Think Pa separated himself to some degree. You know, at the beginning of the year, it seemed almost unthinkable that somebody would beat sho Hey for the award. But once he stopped pitching, you know, and was shut down because the injury, I think that opened the door. And Pete krar Strong is just taken off as an offensive player. You know. Early in the year he told me that Alex Bregman, his teammate, said to him because he was notoriously aggressive at the plate, And what Bregman said to him was, look, do me a favor. First pitch of each plate appearance, just looked for one pitch in one spot, and you know that's typically fastball in the inter half. If you don't get it.
Speaker 6: Just take it.
Speaker 8: And he started doing that, and incredibly now he has more walks this year than his first two seasons combined. He's doing a ton more damage, you know, especially in Wrigley Field where left handed hitters typically struggle. And we talk rightly so about the impact of show hey as a two way player, well PCA, because he's so good defensively, and his manager of Great Council makes the case that he's the best defensive player in baseball. He's a two way player in his own right. And I think he you know, he's been on such a heater offensively that I think now he's number one show Hey er two, Matt Olson number three for National League MVP.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll ask you this, are we getting bored of having show Aotani win the MVP? If everything's equal here, I think that.
Speaker 8: Without a doubt. For some voters will come into it. Who is the player who beat out Michael Jordan, like out of.
Speaker 3: The blue, one year old spark.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's somebody like stepped in and it did feel like that at times, but I actually think Pete incredible player.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: I just saw the Cups the other day and talked to their coaches about the way they can position their outfields because he's so good defensively and he covers so much ground. But I think your point is well taken. There might be some of that too with the voters.
Speaker 3: All right, Buster, thank you so much for coming on. You know how much I respect your baseball acumen and just how you see the landscape from a wider lens. So thank you for the time and can't wait to see you back at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 8: Well, likewise, David always fun talking with you.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 3: He goes a proud man from Vermont, vacationing in Lake George. The one and only Buster only see I didn't take any shots at Vermont. He's always so concerned when he comes on that I'm gonna take a shot at Vermont. But I'm serious. I just remember exactly where I was standing at Yankee Stadium. We both had a great view of Walker Bueller coming out of the bullpen to get the final three outs at Yankee Stadium, and that's something I'll never forget. We're usually standing right next to each other at the end of the postseason. So certainly a great memory for me because look, I grew up on Buster only, and now you know we're in the same we're in the trenches together in the postseason. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. We'll be back with you tomorrow after the game Dodgers and Pirates. Yamamoto on the mound. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch. At seven ten, we'll have more pairs of tickets to give away to Sunday's game on postgame Dodger Talk tomorrow night. So thank you to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. Thank you to Dave Roberts, thank you to bustro Oni, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. Fox Sports Radio is next. You never know, Jonas Knox might be hosting the next show as well. We'll send it back to them. See ya.