Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. All right, he is public enemy number one in San Francisco, but beloved in Los Angeles. Three times World Series Champion, the one and only Max Munsey. Max, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it, of course. I know you were looking forward to this all series.
Speaker 2: Sure, whatever you say, Dave.
Speaker 1: What is it about the rivalry between the Dodgers and Giants? You've been part of this now since twenty eighteen, you've hit more home runs against them, not outside of Nolan Aronado and Paul Goldschmid. It just seems like you've you've really embraced this rivalry since you became a Dodger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's fun. The games are fun, the atmospheres are fun. This is a rivalry that dates all the way back to New York. And then you know, it's just it's a you know, as a as a baseball fan, it's just fun to be a part of these types of games, and you know it's fun.
Speaker 2: To play it them.
Speaker 1: I know you're comfortable between the lines, but how comfortable are you when you go to San Francisco? Do you have to stay quarantined in your room before you get to the ballpark.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's nothing like that. You know, as heated. It as a rivalry as it is, and.
Speaker 3: You know that the fans may hate, you know, each other, every time we play them, it's always been civil, and you know, they when you go to San fran they you know, those fans will say it, they say, but it's it's more in fun and just of the rivalry, and it's never it's never.
Speaker 2: Really anything personal, and you don't take it personal.
Speaker 3: It's just, you know, like I said, it's fun to be a part of it, and you enjoy it, and you know it's it's makes baseball fun.
Speaker 2: Do you take it.
Speaker 1: As a compliment When you're in San Francisco and fans are really coming after Max Muncy, that means you did something well?
Speaker 3: They say, if you're booing you, then you know you've done something good. You know, I don't know if that's the case. You know, going back to what they're saying, it's just fun to be a part of that. You know, it's it's something you look forward to or you know, you just you really enjoy playing in those games.
Speaker 1: One of the great images of this rivalry of the last fifteen years of worres was the home run you hit against Mattison Bumgardner. We're now that he's retired, Where did you guys leave your relationship, your competitive relationship. Did you guys ever talk about that moment?
Speaker 3: No, you know, we never talked about it, but there was never any hard feelings between us. And you know, and I've always understood that. I think he understands that when he's on the mound, he's he's a competitor.
Speaker 2: He's a fiery competitor.
Speaker 3: That was something I always respected about him was he was always doing his best out there and he wasn't gonna let anything get in his way. And you know, I like to play the same way. And that's really all it was. It was just a heated moment on the field. And you know, again, nothing personal. It's just something that happened. And you know, I've never talked to him about it, but you know, I've never heard anything said, so you know, as far as I know, it was just he probably feels the same way.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those moments that was on the field.
Speaker 1: Has the rivalry since you've been part of it evolved, I mean we see a lot of guys hugging out there on the basis. It seems like there's a lot of crossover these days. Is there still that tension when first pa just thrown?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's just the game of baseball, you know.
Speaker 3: I think baseball has evolved to there's not so many of those moments where it's, hey, you can't talk to this team, you can't talk to this guy, And yeah, I think that's good for the sport. I think, uh, you know, just everyone's trying to grow the game, or one's trying to have fun out there, and everyone's trying to compete, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I just I think it's just baseball evolving.
Speaker 1: All right, let's fast forward to twenty twenty six. I mentioned to you that I heard Blue Jays manager John Schneider say the other day that teams are pitching the Blue Jays a lot differently than a year ago. Do you feel like teams are pitching the Dodgers differently this year than they did a year ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been that way for several years, several years for us. I don't know if that's just a report that's gotten out about us about how we prepare how we game plan, and you know, guys changed teams, and so I don't know if that's gotten out there, but uh, we started noticing that years ago. Teams have always pitched us differently. They go off game plan, they go off scotting important. It's tough because you try to prepare a certain way and when teams flip the script on you, it makes it really tough.
Speaker 2: And you know, these are big league players. You know, the guy is saying that.
Speaker 3: Everyone always says it's the guys any other team, Drave Mercedes too, you know, and that's that's a true fact.
Speaker 2: These are the best players in the world.
Speaker 3: And you know, I know we're a really good team, but those everyone in Major League Baseball is good and so when they do something that you're not completely prepared for, it makes it challenging. And you know, like I said, we've noticed that for the last several years.
Speaker 2: That's just how it's been.
Speaker 3: And especially when it gets closed to playoff time. You know, if you face a team that you might face in the playoffs, they always pitch you a completely different way, knowing that they're not going to pitch you that way in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Even though you guys have not hit the way you will hit. Pitching in defense has gotten you to the top of the NL West this year.
Speaker 2: You went particular.
Speaker 1: If you look at every other high end analytic category, you're at the top as far as all the third basement out there. Do you feel like the shape that you came into this season that's the area that we're seeing it the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably in terms of defense. I think for me, it's just.
Speaker 3: The the understanding of all the techniques that I've been trying to practice over the years is finally starting to click in the game.
Speaker 2: And I'm finally able.
Speaker 3: To start moving fluidly out there and freely and just having fun. And I'm not getting stressed every time a ball is hit. And you know, that's something that it just takes time. You know, when I did my work over the last several years, I was always perfect, and it just it was finding a way to get that translate into the game. You know, whether it's my throwing, my footwork, you know how I'm approaching certain balls, And this year everything's clicked for me and everything. You know, there's been no second thoughts on any of the plays, and you know, there's been one or two plays where i haven't done it perfectly, and it's I've still been able to make it work because.
Speaker 2: I'm just moving freely.
Speaker 3: And for me, that was always the biggest thing over the years was trying to get my work to translate into the game, and that's something.
Speaker 2: That can only happen with reps and just time.
Speaker 3: And you know, even though I've been playing third base every day for the last several years, it's still not my position.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a position I came up playing.
Speaker 3: And you know, I've taken a lot of pride in the work that I've put into it, and I've grown to love playing third base. I really do love going out there every single night and playing third base. I've It's just something that I've grown to love over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reaction time has got to be instantaneous. You had one of the biggest plays in Game seven of the World Series on a hot shot to the hot corner. Have you always had those type of reflexes.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what's funny is you know, my defense the last several years, the one thing that always has been at the top has been my first step. You know, I've always been one of the quickest in baseball and getting off the ball. It was just getting getting everything else to translate with that, and so at third you need the reaction time and that's that's always something that I have had, So that's helped.
Speaker 2: Me out, all right.
Speaker 1: So Will Smith is leading off for the first time in his major league career. Does that mean Max Munsey can go back to second base?
Speaker 2: If needed?
Speaker 3: I can always go back to second base. And it's actually almost happened a couple of times this year. You know, there there's been a couple of times where Freddie was going to go to third base and I was gonna go to second base. And you know, second base is position that's always been natural to me, and so I can go back over there at any time, and you know, the coaching staff knows that, so you know they feel comfortable doing that.
Speaker 1: Any advice for Will Smith leading off tonight, No.
Speaker 2: No advice.
Speaker 3: I let off a couple of times and I didn't know what to do, So I'm not the guy to asked for advice. You know, I don't know if you take the first pitch, you swing at the first pitch, I don't know. But you know, nowadays, the first pitch of the game is no longer guaranteed fastball as as we've been seeing a bunch of this year, So yeah, I got no advice for him on that one.
Speaker 1: All right, Max, Well, thank you for stopping. Always great to catch up with you, and I know uh Dodger fans, LA fans appreciate everything that you've given the team and how much you want to be here and obviously it's translating this season, So thank you of course anytime