Speaker 1: Four point fifty four in the Queens City of Cincinnati. Chick Ludwigs seven hundred WLW. This is Sports Talk. Sean McMahon is tonight's producer. We're going all the way to six o'clock and that's when Sterling takes over these airwaves. And folks, let's face it, it has been an unbelievable week in the world of sports. And that's putting it mildly. It started on Sunday with the college football playoff reveal in all the upset Notre Dame fans, and then the Bengals thirty nine to thirty four devastating loss to the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park, New York. Then came the shocking events at the University of Michigan with the firing and arrest of head football coach Sharon Moore. And how about Joe Burrow's introspective news conference.
Speaker 2: Is he bengalized?
Speaker 1: The definition of bengalized is when all the life gets sucked out of you.
Speaker 2: Is that what happened to Joe Burrow?
Speaker 1: The Indian app was cold signed forty four year old quarterback Philip Rivers, who's made over two hundred million dollars in his career. He hasn't taken an NFL snap since two thousand and we could very well see him play quarterback at the age of forty four for the Colts against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday afternoon. Xavier's seventy five to fifty seven victory over Missouri State on Friday night push the Musketeers record to eight and three with their fifth straight win. It is the final tune up before the Big East Conference starts up Wednesday night at home against the Creighton Blue Jays. The Cincinnati Cyclones fell on Friday night at home at the Heritage Bank Center to the Kalamazoo Wings three to two in overtime on the Griswold Christmas Friday Night Extravaganza, and the Clones are back in action tonight against the Indie Fuel at the Fishers Events Center in suburban Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: And then we come to today.
Speaker 1: Big doings at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, presented by Dinsmore deck the Hall from noon to three today. There was Santa, there were Reds mascots, there were kids activities and appearances by former Reds catcher Tucker Barnhardt and pitcher JJ Hoover would love to hear from you if you attended Deck the Hall at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Museum. And then we come to today and the University of Cincinnatis eighty four to sixty five loss to the Georgia Bulldogs. Hey, I've got my coffee, I've got my computer. All I need is you at five one, three, seven four, nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred The Big One Chick Ludwig Sports Talk seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Breaking now. Scientists have reluctantly confirmed it's snowing. Keep it here for the latest from your Severe Weather station. Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Do you own a small business? A seismic shift is coming. It's time to get super short coming soon.
Speaker 4: Send the taste of home to those special people on your out of town gift list by sending you sincey favorite holiday gift collection, including my.
Speaker 5: Five oh eight in the Queens City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Chick Ludwigs, seven hundred WLW. This is Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: Sean McMahon is tonight's producer. We're going all the way to six o'clock. That's when Sterling takes over these airwaves and you'll hear Donna d from nine to midnight tonight. I just gave you the rundown of this incredible week in sports, and we've got We've even got the Army Navy game going on right now, and Man Army's got it going on with a sixteen to seven lead over the Navy Midshipman at M and T. Banks Stadium in Baltimore. But this is the place to vent about your University of Cincinnati Bearcats.
Speaker 2: The final from Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: The Georgia Bulldogs eighty four the UC Bearcats sixty five. You see, got off to a great start and led at the seven to twenty seven mark of the first half by eleven thirty three to twenty two, and then promptly got outscored by thirty points sixty two to thirty two the rest of the way sixty two to thirty two the final twenty seven minutes and twenty seven seconds. I'm here to tell you that Ed Jucker and George Smith, who coached Oscar Robertson at the University of Cincinnati, they are spinning in their graves. Quote from Terry Nelson, you can't win at this level with the IQ that this team plays with. They play well in spurts, and then they just dissolve. There is some tremendous athletes on this team, some tremendous individual talent, but they are not playing as a team. They don't shoot the ball well and they certainly don't shoot their free throws very well. But to see this total breakdown, and if I heard it correctly, the spread in this game pregame was like seven points. Are you kidding me? That is a layup for sports investors. The Georgia Bulldogs are averaging ninety nine point nine points per game. Their average margin of victory is twenty eight point seven points a game. Twenty two percent of their two point baskets are dunks, and they wind up blowing out You see by nineteen after UC led by eleven midway through the first half. This is the placed event five one, three, seven, four nine seven one eight hundred, The big one. Keith in Coleraine Township has been waiting a while. Keith, Welcome to seven hundred WLW Hello chick.
Speaker 6: Look, it's way past time for the President of the University of Cincinnati and the Board of Trustees to step in and in this embarrassing three ring circus clown show. The school athletic director needs to be hot fired for hiring this clown show. Wes Miller needs to be fired. Maybe he can recruit, but he's turnet, does know what to do with players after he recruits, and Scott Stink up to joint the football coach. He's doing the same thing that he was doing at Louisville with the team losing and che could tourch the end of the season. And the more this keeps going on and on, the more and more embarrassed it's going to get. So they need to end this three ranked circus clown show as soon as possible. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate this event as a lifelong even though I graduated from the Ohio State University, I was on scholarship up there, the chick Evans Golf Caddy scholarship. I am a lifelong die hard UC basketball fan and I can't stand this. Next up is Alabama State on Wednesday. Then in Greenville, South Carolina, they play the Clemson Tigers beat.
Speaker 2: Georgia by three.
Speaker 1: This Georgia team defeated Xavier by just one point, and Xavier now has five consecutive victories, and you see, man, this was a great opportunity, absolutely blown today. You've got NBA scouts all over the place at State Farm Arena today.
Speaker 2: Bob Bob Miller.
Speaker 1: Had ten points in eleven and ten minutes in this game. First ten minutes he had ten points. He was everywhere, he was dunking the basketball, and you just wish it could have continued. But in his final twenty three minutes he scored exactly one point point. Jalen Celestine hit a three point shot with fourteen forty nine to go to pull UC within two at forty nine forty seven, and then Baba Miller misses two free throws. It just you heard the stats from Dan Horde, the voice of the Bearcats. You see shot thirty five percent from the floor twenty three of sixty five, seven of twenty seven from three, that's twenty six percent, and once again horrible from the foul line twelve of twenty one, while the Georgia Bulldogs were hitting twenty of twenty six free throws. Georgia shot fifty percent from the from the floor thirty of sixty but we're only four of twenty one. That's nineteen percent. From three point range once again. You see led thirty three to twenty two at seven twenty seven and then got outscored by thirty sixty two to thirty two. The final twenty seven twenty seven just absolutely brutal. And you heard Wes Miller after the game. He's very, very angry. Can't say really what he wants to say for fear that he will be reprimanded. We have to be better, good in stretches, but got to be more consistent. And he said it. The Bearcats lost. We lost our minds on all offense. We won't rest, we won't accept it. We'll go back to work. And Terry Nelson's comment that you can't play and win at this level with the IQ that this team plays with, and that came when Buck Harris drove into the lane and put up a spinning, twisting, off balance wild shot in the lane that that I don't believe it hit the rim with four to twenty four to go in this game, day Da Thomas fouls out with five to eleven to go. But the big time turning point in this bear Cat loss came at the seventeen point fifty seven mark of the second half. Bob Bob Miller finished that first half with one foul. Bearcats are up forty one to thirty seven. They scored the first four points of the second half. The score was tied at thirty seven at halftime, so use's up forty one to thirty seven. Bob a gets called for a foul, He says something to the referee, then he gets hammered with a tech right away. He went from one foul to three fouls and was in and out of this lineup in the second half, only scoring one point in his final twenty three minutes. And coach Miller was right that put u se in what he called a predicament that's not fair to the team. This is the place to vent. You're listening to sports talk until six o'clock. Chick Ludwig seven hundred at WLW.
Speaker 3: Is it true Tom Brenneman was the bass player in a punk band called Mash Potato.
Speaker 2: That is mostly not true.
Speaker 3: Is it true that Tom Brenneman can speak to dolphins but chooses not too because of their attitude? It sounds possible, but not true. Is it true that listening to Tom Brenhaman makes your morning better? That one is true?
Speaker 4: Please join me in the morning for the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, at a truckload more to get your day started.
Speaker 3: Right Tom Brenneman Monday morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: MVT is given away a Ford F one. On December twenty seven, you.
Speaker 1: Could drop in the Queen City of Cincinnati, Chick Laudwig seven hundred WLW. This is sports Talk And in case you missed it and just joining us, do you see Bearcats fall today to the Georgia Bulldogs in a quote unquote neutral site game at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, home of the NBA Atlanta. Plenty of NBA scouts were on hand to check out these fine athletes, including Bob A. Miller, who got off to a terrific start five for five with it in his first ten minutes and then one point his final twenty three minutes. And if you think things are bad now, folks, oh, it's gonna get worse, starting with Houston in the Big twelve opener at the Third Arena on January third. Let's go out to the phones. Jeff is in Dayton, wants to talk Bearcats.
Speaker 7: Hi, Jeff, Hi, chicks, always good to talk to you. My old friend right back at you. I love you see basketball. I love uc in a high state basketball, I really do. And what I saw today was the man. The man worked for a long time. But then once Georgia gotta made the adjustments on that man, the man were uh.
Speaker 2: They were just killing it.
Speaker 8: And I think he waited.
Speaker 7: Too long to go to in his zone. I don't even know if that would have helped. Georgia can score, yes, who they really can't. So I don't what is Georgia ranked? Are they in the top fifteen?
Speaker 2: You know what? I look at the rankings here.
Speaker 1: I was just checking out the Big twelve standings, okay, and there's six teams in the top nineteen in the country.
Speaker 2: Wow, in the Big twelve.
Speaker 7: So that's gotta be as good a conference in basketball conference and anything in the nation.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it truly is. Uh wow.
Speaker 1: And you know what I'm looking at the Yeah, I'm looking at the rankings right now, and gosh, what the even ranked?
Speaker 2: Really they were the national sporm.
Speaker 1: You know what, they're listed among others receiving votes. Wow, they're out in the top twenty five. Yeah, yeah, this.
Speaker 7: Should boost them at least in the top twenty five I mean they I watch them that they got NBA size too.
Speaker 2: They do. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So anyway, I want one other thing I want to say is he's a here's a trade.
Speaker 2: I got through.
Speaker 7: Bangs all right, now follow me. Now, the Bengals trade disgruntled Joe Burrow to the New England Patriots for Drake May and.
Speaker 2: Other draft picks.
Speaker 7: Now, I think it's a win win for both. Burrow gets to go up there and play for Mike head coach up there, and they got a good offensive line.
Speaker 2: Look, they're in the right direction.
Speaker 7: Joe Burrow could probably take him over the top. And the Bengals now have a rookie that's a great potential. He could be in the top five or six in a couple of years, who knows on his rookie contract. So that can free up some money to maybe help the Bengals acquire some some players that could help the team as well.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that, Chick.
Speaker 1: Well, we've reached I will address this after the bottom of the We just hit the bottom of the hour news, so I will check it out. I disagree with you, Jeff, but I love you still. So Hey, it's chick. Ludwig and you're listening to sports talk on seven hundred WLW five point in the Queens City, chick Ludwig, seven hundred WLW. I hope everyone is safe out there brutal driving conditions.
Speaker 2: With the winter storm warning.
Speaker 1: Remaining in effect until seven am on Sunday, Jeff from Dayton proposed to trade Drake May of New England to the Cincinnati Bengals for Joe Burrow. It can't happen. It cannot happen for economic reasons. Joe Burrow is signed with the Bengals through the twenty twenty nine season at an average of fifty five million dollars per year. That includes base salary, per pro rated signing bonus, the whole nine. Drake May is in his second year of a four year, thirty six and a half million dollar contract. His base salary is nine hundred and sixty thousand dollars this year. He's twenty three years old. Joe Burrow is twenty nine. There's no way that that trade could possibly happen, so let's forget about that. I love Joe Burrow. I want him to remain in Cincinnati. I want him to be happy. Bearcats leading at the seven to twenty seven mark of the first half today against Georgia, thirty three to twenty two. They're up eleven. They lose by nineteen eighty four to sixty five. In the final twenty seven minutes and twenty seven seconds of this game, you see got outscored by thirty sixty two to thirty two. Everybody's angry. Let's go out to the phones. Brian is in Eastgate, Hi, Brian.
Speaker 8: Hey, check, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh good?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 1: I hope I can get back to the Miamisburg War room safely tonight.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, lit the weather, it's like a white death. Yes, I was just wanting to know if you see it was up thirty three twenty two. Is that just bad coaching? Or how do you blow at eleven point lead like that? It's just they didn't have a good Wes Miller's offense bad.
Speaker 1: You're you're exactly right about that. And Terry Nelson and Dan Horde talked about it. This weave at the top of the circle, in around the perimeter, this weave, it's not working. The ball has to go inside for Ucy to take advantage of its length and size inside. A problem today came when Bob Bob Miller lost his mind and gets called for a technical foul less than three minutes just passed. Two minutes into the second half, and he picks up. He picked up a foul that gets hammered with a tech. That's a personal foul. So he goes from one foul to three. He's got to come out. He's in and out of the line up. They need him in there. He's their best player. But what I see from this team, I don't see a leader. I see five individuals on the floor attempting to impress the pro scouts with auditions at how awesome athletically they are. But as a cohesive team, forget it.
Speaker 8: Yeah I have he's like a McDonald's All American. It seems like West doesn't give him up out of those fit talent he has.
Speaker 2: He's got a lot of talent.
Speaker 1: He does have a lot of it's the yeah and and these guys are thrown together this year from all these different programs. It's taking forever to mesh and but Xavier is able to do it.
Speaker 2: He's available to do.
Speaker 8: What I want to talk about sports Cincinnati sports. But I just think Xavier with Brick Petina, Richard Patino. He's he's got Xavier playing as a team.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. They're getting better every game. UC's getting worse, and it's going to get bad. It's really going to get bad. They've got Alabama State Wednesday night at home, a neutral site game against Clemson, which handed Georgia it's only loss, so you can imagine what that's going to be like. That's in Greenville, South Carolina, a week from tomorrow. Then the Bearcats come home and play Lipscomb out of Nashville at home. Then the UC Bearcats host the Houston Cougars on January third in the Big Twelve opener. And there are six Big twelve teams not only in the top twenty five, but in the top nineteen in the country.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm most all a while to go switch scarers and talk about the Bengals. I was thinking about how the Bengals they had. They went all in on offense this year, but is there anything about you know why they so bad on defense? It seems like they just didn't get enough players.
Speaker 1: They don't have enough. They don't have enough good players. I think what needs to happen in this offseason. You have to sign a free agent a good one at really all phases of the defense, the front, the middle, and the back end. And then you've got to go draft heavy with defense. You're not going to hit on every one of them, but you've got to remake this defense.
Speaker 8: Well, they need to get better interior up front, like in the trenches on defense, No doubt they never after you lose Trey Hendrickson, who do you get? I mean, those are players that Bengals could go after the gate. I just don't understand what the Bengals are playing is.
Speaker 2: Yeah not right now?
Speaker 1: Proof, Yeah, you lose, you lose a quality pass rusher like Trey Hendrickson who had seventeen and a half sacks last year. And then he fleeces the Bengals for a thirteen million dollar raise on top of the sixteen million that he was going to make and hold out because he was unhappy with sixteen million. So he fleeces the club for twenty nine million and he's injured and he's done for the year. Now he becomes an unrestricted free agent. I hope the door doesn't hit him in the butt on his way out. There's no ways coming back to Cincinnati next year. So he'll rehab. So he will rehab and get ready for his next contract with the next team.
Speaker 8: He's going to believe the Bangles plays somewhere for a couple more years and then I guess I'll get more money.
Speaker 1: Uh not Trey Hendrickson, that's for sure. So oh yeah, yeah, he's done after this year in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Done. He was motivated.
Speaker 8: It wasn't even motivated. I think he just wanted them pay raise. He didn't really even show up on defense.
Speaker 2: No, he was a hold in.
Speaker 1: So he's he was in training camp and he was helping guys like Miles Murphy. He was my credits him with being kind of with being a mentor and helping him. But yeah, he gets injured and uh yeah, and he's done.
Speaker 7: Chi chick.
Speaker 8: What do you think about Bengals even firing their a GM and hiring a new.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't have GM.
Speaker 1: Well, they don't have a GM, and I don't see any front office changes.
Speaker 8: That's not that's not a good.
Speaker 2: That's not that's not good. That's not a helping them, tam.
Speaker 1: Hey, they've got to get better on defense, They've got to get better on defense, and and hey, but.
Speaker 2: It's not Mike Brown.
Speaker 8: I'm such saying it's not Mike Brown's m O to hire a GM. No regular get get better drafts, draft picks and talent.
Speaker 2: That's that's right.
Speaker 1: That's how they That's how they that's how they roll. And if you remember correctly, when they went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Los Angeles Rams in that run to the AFC title, some of the talking heads are saying, Hey, the way that Cincinnati Bengals are doing business might not be all that bad, okay, but a series of poor draft picks. When you don't hit on your draft picks, it's a struggle. Miles Murphy, Shamar Stewart, Dax Hill, They're just not good enough on defense.
Speaker 2: They need better players.
Speaker 1: And with that, Jeff I got a run or Brian appreciate the call from E Skate, thank you very much. And Yesterday, December twelfth, was the twenty sixth anniversary of the final game at Riverfront Stadium slash Synergy Field Bengals forty four. Brown's twenty eight Corey Dillon rushes for one hundred and ninety two yards and three touchdowns. CD and I were texting earlier today. I congratulated him on that wished he made Happy Holidays, and he texted me back and said, yes, sir, remember that game. Well, Happy holidays to you as well. CD my buddy. Wow, he was Jim Brown reincarnated. Now, all Notre Dame fans are upset rightfully so that they are not in the College Football Playoff and at the very what the eleventh hour last Sunday, the flip flop choosing the Miami Hurricanes over Notre Dame when Notre Dame had been ranked ahead of Miami for several weeks. There is one reason why Notre Dame is not in the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 1: That's it money, because as an independent, they would have gotten all their money and not have to share it with anyone. All the other teams in the College Football Playoff share the money with the conference, four million for each of the twelve teams that make the CFP, four million for each of the eight teams that make the quarterfinals, then six million to the four teams that make the semifinals, and then six million for each of the two teams that make the College Football Playoff National championship game. Notre Dame would have kept all the money and they got punished for being an independent.
Speaker 2: Right or wrong.
Speaker 1: And lastly, Terry Nelson picked his three top dunkers in college basketball or pro basketball whatever, Vince Carter, Shaquille O'Neil, and Lebron James. I would like to counter with my three Dominique Wilkins, Clyde Yeah, he was the human Highlight Film Clyde the Glide, Drexler and Donctor duncan Stein himself, Darryl Griffith and until next time, thank you so much for listening to the Home of the Reds and the best Bengals coverage with the Chickster on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Now frying in beef tallow only at steak and shake taste the difference this is Jim Hello.
Speaker 2: Jim started advertising with I