Speaker 1: Here we are. We've made it to a Friday. Jack Crumley has got news in about twenty three minutes. He is giddy, giddy with the news of people getting passes for bizarre behavior and commuted sentences and everything else. We'll get into the weirdness of New York and world politics a bit later. How you doing It's sterling, mister Waddell in charge keeping me online on screening calls and producing tonight. A lot of ground to cover on this fine Friday. The weekend is here. We will talk to Amoe Egger a little bit later about the nine thirty five give or take about the hood ay, the improbability of Joe Flacco from Joe's Toe to Joe Flacco in a couple of weeks of in between because it just didn't work out. And now all of a sudden, people's attitude, the way they walk, the tone, the energy of Bengals world is totally different. It just is. And here we are leading our way towards Halloween and the stuff that scares us. I have friends with kids that have been looking forward to this Friday night, this weekend to get out and some haunted places, scary stuff, taking tours in and around Cincinnati and elsewhere, on top of just all the other good stuff to do. Kevin Carr, by the way, gonna Jona's talking about the new phone booth too, movie and some other stuff that scares us as well. So I appreciate you being along. I want to start with something that is Oh, there's also no King protests tomorrow. A lot of people excited about that or angry about that. I guess pick a side depending on how that goes. And there's more shooting stuff downtown. Cincinnati's vibrant downtown, exciting, lots of stuff going on, lots of stuff to do, great food, entertainment options. It was hopping last night Thursday day night football, the big wide out at Pey Corps and the Bengals with the big win over the Steelers last night, which you heard here on seven hundred WLW. They continued talk of well, maybe they'll punt, they'll fire the police chief, because really the police chief is clearly the problem. In the midst of everything, I want to open up the phones, give you a chance to sound off on a just really your vibe, a pulse of the tri State right now five three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred the big Win. The iHeartRadio app. You can click on that microphone and leave a message there on the talkback. I'm also on exer Twitter at Sterling Radio. So this is an ongoing, never ending question that has probably been in place since the beginning of society as we know it. People go, Okay, it's the police. Get rid of the police chief because there's a violent crime and idiots doing idiotic things and victimizing people in and around Cincinnati, all over the country, all over the world for that met And then people go, okay, well, it's the police chief, or it's the mayor, because I regularly see a mayor of a city out on the street going after criminals. So I don't know. Then you got a city manager actually is the person who's capable of firing a police chief. I do know. That's how Cincinnati works. And that was something from a vote some years ago which has gotten some attention as of late. And reinforcement and alteration to curfews and kids downtown, let's start there. If you've got teenagers downtown smoking weed out in the open, running around, I would say that curfew or no curfew, legal weed or otherwise, you're not supposed to smoke it in public. You got to be smarter than that. Get some gummies, get some edibles, get a beverage that would be an adult beverage, and you know, handle your business. But instead, instead they go, we're going to go after them. Now, well, yeah, obviously, what are the what are the solutions? What is the causation? I'm going to go down the list. Better policing that is that the need, because you know, I've had all these people talk to me and they tell me, they say, sterling, the cops aren't doing their job. The cops say that they feel like their job doesn't matter because they're not getting backed up by the bench, the courts, the jury system, the criminal justice system in general, and the people got to take some responsibility for themselves and what they do and how they handle themselves. Do they not. If you make a shoddy product and it is your child that is a shoddy product that is out there victimizing the general population, they need to be handled. And parents need to be handled for their minor children in some fashion for not controlling them and handling them. I mean, it's just that simple. And police need to go out there and enforce the laws that are on the books, and they need to be respectful about it, and they need to treat people with respect and dignity. And people who are out there engaged with law enforcement, it's obvious what they need to do. If the coppa pulls you over, be respectful. Let your hands be seen on that steering wheel. Put that if it's out at night, turned that light on the overhead up so cops know what they're walking into. And yes, sir, no, sir, be respectful, right, And if they are on the street and going after bad guys and that are doing bad things, then they get them locked up. Prosecutors press charges, court proceedings take place. You don't the thing that I can't wrap my brain around. And maybe I'm not smart enough, but if you've got violent offenders, you don't turn them back up onto the street, especially kids in that situation apparently to go do it again and again and again in the midst of waiting for a court appearance, or in fact, if in fact they've been convicted to do you know, back out and do it again without doing time or otherwise. I mean, maybe I'm missing something. By the way. A Henny A. Suarez, former Red Big Grand Slam helping the Mariners take a three to two lead in this American League Championship Series. That game just wrapping up, so win for them next up and then they're onto the World Series and Dodgers making quick and easy work it seems of the Brewers, which seems somewhat shocking and somewhat surprising to me. But we'll see how it goes. It'd be nice to see Dodgers and Mariners. That'd be a great matchup. I want to step back in and give you a chance to sound off, because I ranted and rambled and laid out a bunch of problems that are being dealt with in the streets of Cincinnati, as they are in the streets of cities across this country and generally. And I've been lucky. I mean, I grew up in dating and spend a lot of time Cincinnati, moved around, have lived in Cincinnati, going back to the first time living here in the mid nineties, ended up behind this microphone after being at another radio station that became Kiss, which was Channel Z was there and things haven't really changed, and the real basic nature of things from then to now or in history in general. Right if bad people are doing bad things. You want to try to intervene early, especially if they're young, and get them back on the right track. And that doesn't mean not punishing them for bad behavior illegal behavior. It means trying to rehabilitate, which then leads to the juvenile justice system and how our prisons and jail system work, which is housing people who are often either become victimized while they're in there, or they get themselves a degree in higher education and criminal behavior while they're in the jail or the prison system. Also, especially if they're young, you want to have an intervention and try to avoid that particular pathway because long term, when they get back out, re offense or recivitism is a major problem. And it has been discussed for months and months and months by police, by the administration of Cincinnati, by experts in the science as much as there is a science of criminal justice and behavior and social like stuff. They say that you know, you got crime, you got desperation, economic issues, social issues, you got parents not being involved, you got not enough God, pick a faith of choice, whatever it is, a higher power. You know, my biggest thing coming up was not wanting to disappoint my family. I also never had in me the want of the desire to go victimize somebody else for profit or for entertainment. That's a disconnect some people have, whether it's genetic, whether that's learned behavior, whether that's something they've fallen into by the wrong crowd. And you are who you hang out with generally, So that goes into parenting. That means going to school and showing up and being ready to do the work and having parents get those kids ready to learn as well. But I mean, do you blame the police for not doing the job. Do you blame the courts for not doing their job? Do you believe the jail, the juvenile justice, lock up situation or home imprisonment, home, stay, whatever it is, put an ankle monitor on and just stay at home until your core proceedings or whatever else? Who do you blame? Since we're all about the blame game, and that's all we do is here about pointing the finger. It's the liberal this or the conservative that. We're all just people and at some point you got to own and handle your responsibility for what you do. And these people you know, leaving shooting it people down town, in cars, in restaurants, you name it. I don't spend as much time as I used to when I lived in East Walnut Hills. I was downtown a couple of nights a week, couple of days a week, riding my bike, having a good time. But I will tell you it feels more comfortable and safer now than it did in the late nineties early two thousands. For what it's worth, somebody who's a victim of crime probably doesn't necessarily have that same feeling, certainly, And I'll often say, again what has been espoused by many others. I did not coin this phrase, but it's true for the most part. Not a whole lot goods going down after midnight. And if you're a mier child and you're not working on a job of some sort like I used to be at fifteen, sixteen, seventeen years old, sometimes working until midnight one two in the morning, whether it was at a concert venue, entertainment venue, or when I was working at a minigolf putt putt or a grocery store at one time or another, shagging carts and bagging groceries and working produce. I was home. I have no other business to be out. You got kids out there running around acting like idiots and morons. Then they should be treated like idiots and morons, and their parents not keeping track of them, should be treated like idiots and morons because they've created a defective product. And if the cops aren't doing their job, on to the next one. Let's get more. And if the you know, the those that are on the bench, the judges aren't doing their job, on to the next one. We go. What are the answers? What are the questions? I'm filled with them? What do you have? It's a Friday night. We'll get to other stuff that's fearing in loathing and phobias in the holiday season, that is scary upon us in Halloween all before Mowagger and Kevin Carr joining me, talking Bengals and Bearcats and new movies and a whole lot more with you five three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred. The big one is get to Deer Park, Sean real quick before the break and room for you on a Friday night, sterling on seven hundred wulw Sean, what's up? Got it? I can't no, Yeah, you can't do that. I mean it's you wait all that time about work and which you can't do that. It's a wholesome family show. Quick break, We'll regroup, come back, give you a chance to get interactive. Five one, three, seven four nine, seven thousand, eight hundred The Big One. I'm sorry I wasn't all jokes and fun. I know it's Friday. I should be light and talking about the joy of having one of the most prolific liars and politics out there back on the streets thanks to a presidential power, which we'll get into a bit later as well. It's Friday night. Glad you're along the nation station. What you're listening to? Seven hundred WULW nine first warning forecast on the Big One Friday night got to fifty five tomorrow, rain late, but low eighties for Saturday. It's not too bad as we are in the back end of October at this point, sixties back to a more seasonable temperature Sunday and Monday, and we need more rain. And I heard Lance earlier complaining about having to not mow his lawn for weeks, and then Naw's had to mow. He's like a two a week mowing stretch. And I know exactly what he's thinking. I'm thinking next year, I may embrace the goats because I think they would do a good job. I'd like to get the fainting goats, and then the fainting goats you can have occasionally faint for entertainment purposes, but then they would serve a purpose also of keeping the yard straight. I don't know if the neighbors would mind, but I've got neighbors with chickens at this point, within a walk of about a mile, there's like five different houses that have a variety of chickens, and people were offering to give me eggs. So I guess there's a high side. If I have goats, I could then loan them out for other people to take care of their launch. So I mean, I'm thinking ahead right now. It's a ball ME sixty one. You're severe Weather Station seven hundred wl W, Glad you're along. Bengals huge win, surprising when in many cases for a lot of people, including the Steelers, were shocked. And I loved it. Thursday Night football a big wide out pay corps and you heard it here on seven hundred WLW. Bengals handling business Joe Flacco under center from one Joe who had a toe issue to Joe Flacco who's four centuries in sorry, four decades in not centuries, maybe four hundred years old football time. But he's moving around like a twenty five thirty year old out back there, just calm and cool and collective and just handling his business. The big win for the WHO day yesterday Bearcats in action at Oklahoma State tomorrow. They are ranked twenty fourth in the country. Looked to better their situation in the Big twelve. We'll talk to Moegger about that after your nine to thirty report. I don't know that somebody send me this. I find this hard to believe. Apparently lays potato chips. So, by the way, I'm not getting any money to talk about this. They had gone away from calling their chips potato chips. They just called them like chips in different times. You know, you get like a ruffle or you know, wavy or whatever. Now apparently they're bringing back the term potato chips to let people actually know they come from potatoes, which then leads me to like a whole bunch of stuff that people maybe don't realize is actually what stuff is or something which is very weird to me. I mean, what else would the chips come from? I mean, really, if not potatoes. It's it's just odd. I don't know. It's not like being sent out into the woods when I was a tiny sterling to go snipe hunting with, you know, the relatives and kids in the neighborhood with a flashlight and a bag into the woods at night, looking up into the trees for some creature that is non existent, you know. But potato chip a chip. Who doesn't know? And they be some one hundred years that they've been around aside from getting rid of all you know, artificial colors and some flavors and everything else, pretty basic stuff. And we certainly got some local chip companies that do you know, a Grippo's obviously up in date, and there's like Mike Sell's, and I mean they're both strong and do what they do. I just who does not. I almost think that this is like made up somebody. People didn't realize that there were like potato, they were potato chips. That that's where they come from, is the potato. I mean, what do you think fries come from? If you get fries, they come from potatoes, French fried potatoes. It's in the name. Maybe there are some things that we didn't realize with what they were. I mean, like a slushy generally comes from iced like sugar water or something like that. It's a beverage of that type. Chips tend to come from potatoes, if not corn. If it's a corn chip, hence corn chip, potato chip. And a guy who knows from chips, but more from news, I would imagine is of course, our award winning news director Jack Krumley. He's got your nine thirty report. Thank you are welcome. I mean you'd have plaques on the wall. You knew that potato chips or chips were from potato. I mean unless otherwise indicated. Yeah, yeah, apparently that we are in the minority. I did not realize. I know, I did read the Little Old Bus, but that's five high schools. That happens. Jack has news. I'll come back. We'll talk to Moager. He knows chips come from potatoes, unless otherwise notified, I would think, I don't know. I have so many questions. It's a Friday sterling seven hundred. Ww Hey, how you doing nice? Friday night? The Trinday big win last night down by the river, Moegar I heard him and Lance and Rocky getting everybody ready for Thursday Night Football, and we went from Joe's toe to Joe Flacco a couple of weeks in between of wow, we can't believe how that worked out, and then all of a sudden, we thought of Bengals team that was down and out seems right back in at Moe. How are you thank you for making time? I know you're a busy dude. And how great was last night?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 3: It was awesome? That is That is one of the best football games I've ever been to, one of the best sporting events I've ever been to. You know, it's always great when the Bengals beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, but when the Bengals can beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and sort of reignite their season at least we hope they do it, it makes it doubly special. That was a great win for the Bengals last night and a lot of fun for those of us who who root for him.
Speaker 1: It's been a and I think I went out and tweeted and then or on X whatever you want to call it, and people complain to me because I think I said it was eight or nine days in between with Flaco from a loss to a one and one record with a win in a turnaround. I don't know how many days it actually was, but it seemed like literally a blink of an eye in just amazing for him to come in and seems so calm, cool, collective and effective working with a corps of offensive weapons that is, I mean hard to argue if there's anything better out there in the NFL. I mean, how amazing was it there? Didn't even look plunky last night at all, really, even where there might have been a couple of crossups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he showed you why they prioritized him right, because you were looking for with somebody who could get up to Steve quickly. You know, they to me, the idea that you were going to acquire a quarterback after Jake Browning was so bad in those three starts that you were going to acquire a quarterback and have him sit for a week or two and continue with Jake Browning made no sense. You needed to make a change instantly, and in order to do that, you needed somebody who you knew was going to be a quick study, who you knew was going to be able to make the offense function almost instantly. And you know, I thought they won the game last night in part on Sunday, because I thought that game against the Packers, to me, I viewed that as a preseason game. Okay, they're fourteen and a half point dogs on the road playing arrested team. They're probably not going to go there and win with a quarterback who just got in tout on Tuesday night. But if they could use that game to get him some reps, to get him some game reps with the guys he's going to be throwing to, to help him get some in game experience with that offense, then you could hopefully apply that to the game against Pittsburgh. And I thought that's exactly what happened. You saw a QB against Green Bay who did pick up the offense quickly and who I think understood the assignment, which was, I've got Jamar Chase and T Higgins to throw to. Those dudes are going to be open, I'm gonna throw them the ball. Jake Browning couldn't do that. That's why they went and got Joe Flaco. He did that in that second half against Green Bay, and so to me, what they did last night against Pittsburgh was just an extension of that. Now, It helped that they ran the ball effectively. Chase Brown average d nearly ten yards to carry. It helped that the pass protection was pretty decent all things considered. There were some things that happened around Joe Flacco that certainly helped. But at the end of the day, if you have a quarterback who knows the offense and has guys like Jamar and t to throw to have a decent chance of success. And I think the fun part now is with you know, a chance not playing this weekend, a chance for everybody to kind of catch their breath. It's it's fun to think about what this offense can do over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say so. Talking to Moegger ESPN fifteen thirty here seven hundred WLW on a Friday, Stirling, how bizarre of a trade was that? AFC North Up seventy one Cleveland. Mike Tomlin talked about it. I mean, he knows what Flacco can do. I mean, who doesn't in I mean how bewildering. I mean you're in and around pay corps. You talk to this stuff every day. I mean I do, but not publicly. And I mean it is mostly the voices in my head and my neighbors. But I mean, just an unbelievable move by the Bengals to do that, completely out of character and like you said, completely shook the building back into a place of competitive Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you had to get the Cleveland Browns to agree to help you, which, I'll be honest with you, was surprising to me, and I think it was surprising to Mike Tomlin. And look, Mike Tomlin had some things to say about the Browns trading a quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals, and I understand that.
Speaker 2: Like if you for anybody.
Speaker 3: Who watched Hard Knocks last year, which you know, they they were embedded with all four AFC North teams for the final whatever it was, six to seven games of the season, I think what you saw is Mike Tomlin leans into these AFC North rivalries. And I could understand from that perspective. Forget him not wanting to play against Joe Flacco. I could understand him looking at the going wait a minute, you're helping out your rival. You're giving your rival a lifeline, You're giving your rival a bailout. If I was a Brown fan, right, and I go, Okay, Mike team's not very good, but at least the Bengals aren't very good either. I'd be going, wait a minute, we're helping out the Cincinnati Bengals. This isn't like helping out I don't know, the Dallas Cowboys and the New York Giants or the Green Bay Packers. This is helping out a blood rival. And so yeah, I think from that perspective, there's a reason why you don't see that many trades in the NFL occur between teams in the same division because they don't want to help out their intra division rival. They don't want to play against guys that they may trade to another team. And so yeah, my first take when I saw last Tuesday was holy crap. The Bengals and Browns made a trade with each other, and the Bengals, who are desperate, were just handed a lifeline by a traditional rival. That's not the sort of thing that happens all the time.
Speaker 1: No, it's extremely irregular. And next up, of course, they get a little extra time off after a very short week and a quick turnaround with a new Joe Flacco in the building, and obviously we see that he's calm, cool, collective and ready to work. And these guys seem to gel that they've got some time actually to practice together and take a break and maybe get a little healthier, lick their owns a little bit, just because it is not an easy game. The Jets come in a week from Sunday, and they're over the season at this point, which the Jets fans urge. I mean, Man boomeris eisen and all those people up there have got to be out of their mind. I've got friends that were Jets fans and as much as the Bengals fan and are better living through lowered expectations for so long, though, Jets fans are in a whole nother world of pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah right now. The longest non playoffs non playoffs rout in the NFL belongs to the New York Jets. They haven't made the postseason since twenty ten. They've cycled through coaches, they've cycled through quarterbacks, They've had Aaron Rodgers. For one reason or another, nothing has worked. Aaron Glenn is their head coach. And you know, he was with the Detroit Lions as their defensive coordinator last season for the last couple of years, and he is inherited I think a talented team in many respects that their best players haven't played very well. Justin Fields has been given a third op opportunity to prove he could be a starting quarterback in this league and hasn't taken the most advantage of it. I think when the schedule came out, this is one of those games you looked at and said, this is one where the Bengals should win. Now, with the way the season is unfolded to this point, you absolutely must win this game. You have to beat bad opponents in your own building, especially when you have a little bit of a rest advantage. And the Bengals are going to have that next Sunday.
Speaker 1: That's wild. I mean, they get the Bears after that, a bye week, then they get the Steelers again within a month, turnaround at their place in the Burg, which is always interesting. Talking to Moegor ESPN fifteen thirty here, seven hundred WLW. You hear him all the time everywhere. Can we shift gears? Is there anything else Bengals related? I mean, I could talk about this all night, but you have things to do, Other people have stuff to do. And there's a huge Bear cast game tomorrow too, which I know you're aware of.
Speaker 3: I am. I'm actually in Oklahoma City as we speak, sitting next to the Great Tony Pike, and we are getting set for you see, in Oklahoma State tomorrow. This is a game the Bearcats absolutely should win. And if you don't believe me, look at the point spread. Cincinnati is on the road as a more than three touchdown favorite. Oklahoma State has already fired as head coach. They've lost a game this season by sixty six points. They've lost their three Big twelve games by an average of more than twenty two points. The Bearcats should win this game. I think the last time they played Okay State was here two years ago in Stillwater, and that, to me was the first time that I thought, you know what, the Bearcats aren't quite ready for the physicality and the speed of the Big twelve. I think if you go back to then and compare it to now, I think this year's UC team has big twelve guys. And maybe they don't quite have as many as Texas dech Maybe they don't have enough to compete for a league championship, but they have enough to have authored the five to one record they've put together so far. And I think They have enough to win a row game at Oklahoma State tomorrow, and if they do, they will have achieved all eligibility and from that point the season is gonna get a little bit tougher. They play Baylor next week at home, which is not going to be an easy game. They go to Utah in two weeks. The Uths have been nationally ranked this season, but Scott Sadderfield and his staff have done a really good job. I think over the last two years of it's been a slow build, but they've put together a team filled with guys who can match the speed and physicality of the Big twelve. They've ironed out some issues they had on special teams last season. They have more guys to throw two on the outside. They've got a front six on defense that I think is terrific. I am bullish on the direction of this football program. And they should win tomorrow night, and if not, everything I just said is going to go out the window.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, talking about he is Oklahoma for Bearcats, Oklahoma State. You mentioned Saderfield and a turnaround that seems monumentally fast. This whole business, and it is that now of going out recruiting guys handling the business of that, which is payment of them, in wooing them, and all the stuff that is effectively running it like a professional organization. To some extent, the landscape has changed. I'm blown away at how fast they've actually been able to build what they've built at the University of Cincinnati. Am exaggerating then or no, not entirely.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's never been more difficult to be a first year head coach in any program because now all the players can leave, and so, as is often the case, you know, a coach takes over and the cupboard is there, and so you've got to work really hard just to cobble together a roster and recruit the players who have been a part of the program and get them to want to stay. And so I think that was a part of the dynamic in Scott's first year in twenty twenty three, even a lot of people didn't necessarily want to admit. Now I'll say that I don't think it's ever been easier to get it turned around in years two and three because of the freedom of movement that players have because you can pay them. But every program in the country with the coaching changes dealing with that with Cincinnati, you add to it moving up a level of competition, and look the Bearkats in twenty twenty, nineteen, twenty twenty. In twenty twenty one ran rough shot over the American Athletic Conference, played in the championship game three straight years, had an undefeated season in twenty twenty, had an undefeated season in twenty twenty one. Put a lot of guys in the NFL, but top to bottom, the rosters in the Big twelve are better than the rosters in the American Athletic Conference. The players in the Big twelve are bigger, they're stronger, and they're faster, and so you take a coaching change and you add to it stepping up a level of competition. I think some growing pains were inevitable, and I think the second part of that is something that a lot of people didn't want to admit. You know that it was going to take some time then to get some Big twelve dudes. They've had more last year, but not nearly enough. They could use more this season. I'm not here to tell you this team is perfect. Tony and I were just talking about some of the long offensive walls they have, but at least they put a team on the field this season that when you watch them, they're not going to get overmatched by other big twelve teams. They're not going to get pushed around, and they have guys who can run with big twelve speed athletes, and so I still think they have some work to do. At the end of the day. We all remember they were five and two last year and lost their last five games, and so we're kind of at a similar juncture to where they were last season. But I think just from a roster perspective and a talent perspective, this team is better equipped to get to the second half of the season than it was last year.
Speaker 1: Well, stated Moweger. Of course, the ESPN fifteen thirty here also seven hundred WLW was sterling. You mentioned Tony Pike obviously mentioned the business of college football. This is a business in which we are involved too. This is an odd conversation and circumstance to a point you've been in the midst of living it to intimately in some fashion hearing Tony with Dan, I mean he has stepped into that role. Of course, with Jim Kelly's stepping away and then passing who we missed such a great human being in general, aside from what he brought to the program. Into the air here, Tony Pike sounds fantastic in that role. With Dan, you sound great doing what you're doing, and Dan Hord is just simply Dan Horde. How fun is it doing what you're doing in the midst of all of that, because I mean, it's fun listening to you. I gotta tell you, well, thanks.
Speaker 3: My role in the broadcast is minor compared to Dan and Tony. You know, Tony is obviously somebody I've watched him grow as an on air talent, and I say this he's sitting literally four feet away from me. We all hate the fact that Jim had to step aside. We were crushed late on Sunday night when we found out that he had passed. We lost an absolutely great guy, you know, somebody just completely synonymous with UC football, quintessential family man, just a rock solid dude, the first team all good guy. But when Jim stepped aside, what we all knew was we're not going to skip a feat in the analysts share because you know, Tony has been around this board for such a long time, care so much about the program. He has stepped in seamlessly. You know, obviously he's been on the sideline doing color analysts analysis on the sideline for a while, and so nobody was surprised that he stepped in and made a very smooth transition. He would be the first to tell you that number one, he had very big shoes to fill. Number two, that these were not the most ideal set of circumstances. We would all kill to have Jim with us tonight here in Oklahoma City. But nobody who has known Tony, nobody was listened to Tony, would be surprised to hear him sound as good as he has sounded. And my only hope is he has heard me say all this and now buys me a beer for my kind words.
Speaker 1: He better anyway, tell him hello, and I wish him the best, and I look forward to hearing you guys tomorrow. Thank you for making time anything else before I let you bounce. We've talked Bengals, We've talked bear cats, we talked to late great Jim Cally. I wanted to give some props and loved Tony as well, because he does. He just sounds fantastic, and I've heard him grow too, but not in close quarter working with him as you have anything else Where's Donna. I don't know who knows. She's not here with me now, so I'm all by myself. Okay.
Speaker 3: That I hear the reason I said yes to this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that a lot too, which kind of hurts. I mean, I've known you a minute, but that's fine. I mean, you know and you have known me a minute. If I could get away from myself, sometimes I would, but it's impossible.
Speaker 3: There's only there's there's only one person in our entire building who has run the board for you, and you're talking to him. So just keep that in March.
Speaker 1: That's true. And I had no idea what I was doing that day either that it was a real disease. Yeah, and here we are still doing it somehow. He's Mowagger hanging out in Oklahoma because you gotta be someplace in the world. He Tony Pike Dan Horde full on coverage Cincinnati football bear Cats getting at it tomorrow after or tomorrow evening and looking to make a dent at Oklahoma State in prime time. Thanks for giving us your insights, your perspective and doing what you.
Speaker 3: Do brother anything for you.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, you're a good man. He's mowagger Stirling coming back seven hundred WLW. Now it's time to be scared frightened. And I don't just mean like you know, the news of the world. I mean another world's not on fire. Everything's fine. Look out my backyard. It thinks fantastic. Kevin Carr knows everything's pretty okay too. In his world. It was a guy behind the fat guys in the movie. So the main dude. We did the Chubby and Stick podcast for a time. Now over Gecko on the substacks where you can find him. Kevin, how are you? How is everything this find Friday night?
Speaker 2: Oh, everything's going pretty good, you know, trying to trying to settle into the weekend and enjoy myself. How about you?
Speaker 1: About the same? About the same. I'm always interested when it comes to sequels, about the questions left unanswered, about the things that needed to be like solved. I mean, if there is a purpose other than just cashing in on the glory of what was hopefully a successful run at something like say Black Phone and now Black Phone two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well yeah, because it's a big sequel to a horror movie Black Phone, and now you've got the Black I think the first one was the Black Phone. This is Black Phone two. They dropped the the the out of it. Yeah, but the horror movies can be tricky and when they do sequels, because sometimes you have an ongoing thing that could work, like slasher movies. You know, Friday the thirteenth, Halloween. You well, let's not use Halloween as the sequel as a standard for sequels, but like the Friday the thirteenth movie, you can just kind of redo the movie and make minor changes throughout, and you're gonna have eight or ten of those things. The same thing with Saw. Well, yeah, because Saw did it, but then they just added so much, so many twists that just became undis confusing and didn't make a whole lot of sense. This is just the second movie of the Black Phone. If you've not seen the first one. It's actually a really quite good movie. If you've got peacock. I believe it's available on peacock right now. It's the original. In the first movie, a kid is kidnapped by the serial killer called the Grabber, and he keeps them in his basement and his sister has this sort of this psychic ability, and they're able to sort of connect up and they have to overrun him. And so they're back in this movie for the sequel, and the ghost of the serial killer is still haunting their dreams, and so they have to kind of figure out a way to put him away for good. And what's what's interesting about it is because even though I kind of had that psychic element in the first movie, it was still a little more grounded as just a basic serial killer story. This one plays a little more into the fantasy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like you can tell that that that there is some inspiration from Nightmare on Elm Street because things are happening in their dreams and they're communicating with this evil person in their dreams. So they take some swings and they work in this one. It doesn't always happen in our sequels. But I was actually kind of impressed that this movie had me. It kept my attention through the relatively long running time. It was almost two hours for a horror movie, which is that's that's unusual for horror movie. Most of those are like ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: When you're done talking to Kevin Carsilver, Gecko on the sub stack, the tropes, the work in horror film over the years. I mean, and you talked about like some of the major sequels of Friday the Thirteenth, you know, the Halloweens, those type of things. There are some specific anxieties and concerns even it, which is another thing rolling out soon if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: The prequel. Yeah, they welcome to Darry.
Speaker 1: I mean they're you know, the kids being taken, people being taken, the you know, the evil that won't die, you know, people running upstairs. What do you think are like the attraction and some of the stuff just never gets old. It's a human condition circumstance, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of it is. It's easy to sit there and watch a movie and be like, well, that's stupid. Why they do that? You know, put yourself in this position where somebody with a machete is chasing you, and you you may not make the wisest choices when you do things. Uh Like, Like people complain about the movie Prometheus, which was an alien prequel where they're they're running away from a giant spaceship falling on them, and they're like, why are they running in a straight line? It's like, because a giant spaceship is falling on them and they're panicking, that's why they do not have the ability to look at it from one hundred yards away. And and I think part of it is there's a fine line between people making goofs and foolish choices in horror movies and people just being downright stupid, And even some horror movies lean into like there's a line in Friday the Thirteenth, part eight Jason takes Manhattan where one of the guys says, you know, maybe the best thing for us to do is to split up. And it was such a corny line at the time, but they knew full well that they were kind of goofing on its own on the on those tropes because it works that way. And in real life you do stupid things as well, and we do stupid things without people chasing us all the time.
Speaker 1: I do, yeah, all the time. And I mean if you look around the news, I mean we're constantly hearing these stories of the same type of thing and reac that you're like, how and why is that possible. It's just very interesting that to touch on these anxieties and so forth, and they continue to still work. How much of it do you think when we see these because they've reinvented and redone some of these over and over and even mocked them that still had some of the fun, like scary movies, which they've done over and over too. It's a just interesting time.
Speaker 2: Scream was originally just a goof it was and in universe goofing on slasher films in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, which is just an amazing thing when you think about that, And then that's come back again and again too, which is pretty amazing. What does anything now work with you? I mean, because you've spent so much of your life seeing all these films for work stuff. Most of us just watch them for the sake of it and entertainment. Does anything at this point when you watch it grab you and actually shake you a little bit and get under your skin or is it just all whatever? Now?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I think if you do an effectively well done horror movie in any decade, it's good. But you know, sometimes some things don't click from a cultural level, like you know, like they've done things where they've shown kids in high school the original Halloween and they're like that's not scary. I'm like, dude, it was scary in the seventies, you know. It's that kind of thing. Or even like the Exorcist. One of the things that the Exorcists that made it so unnerving for people wasn't even the exorcism part. It was all the medical tests that were doing on Reagan through the whole first part of the film and sort of how medicine is our own torture device. I mean, so it had these these themes of that, but if it's effectively done. I remember it was about a dozen years ago, a little bit more ten fifteen years ago that James Wan started really leaning into his horror roots, where he did the Insidious movies and he did the Conjuring movies, and those were I mean, yeah, the are ten fifteen years old, but those are still newer movies compared to the stuff from the seventies and eighties. But he just did them effectively, and I thought that they worked out really really well.
Speaker 1: And the Conjuring thing, I mean, what is it the fourth one or fifth one that just came out.
Speaker 2: Here recently, right, I think it's the fourth one, yeah, which, yeah, but it was the biggest one of the series. It made more money. It's made more money than any of the other Conjuring movies, not adjusted port pilation of course.
Speaker 1: Well, and that rarely happens, right, I mean, they're usually is diminishing returns until they reboot them at some point. Right, you start seeing the trend in the other direction. What do you think about it that and why that seems to be something that is held on and grown.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, first of all, the Conjuring movies are for the most part, effectively well done movies. They're not the bottom of the barrel so in their quality work. And you've got good people behind it. You've got Via Fermiga and Patrick Wilson as the stars of it. And you've got James want either producing or directing or both. And so there are people who know what they're doing and people who know the hard genre. Because I've seen movies people and they maybe don't know the horror genre. But James Wan he knows, he knows horr and he's done He's done movies that are flops, Like did you ever see the movie Malignant that came out. It was a one that came out during the pandemic, but it just flopped, but it's a fantastic horror movie.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, my mom's not gonna like it, but she's not the target market for.
Speaker 1: It, right right, and my best by the way to mom, car We.
Speaker 2: Love Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious. Is there anything else horror genre wise?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 1: I want to skip to something else because you've got this collection of the Blockhead stuff that's coming out, and I know you've asked about that, and I'm pretty geeked up about it too, because I kind of like what you do. And that's how you show up the Silver Gecko on the sub stack with a bunch of stuff in people's mailbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, partly through last year, my son and I. His name is the name's Ben Carr, you know, because he's got the same last name, but he goes by Benjamin Gaza and he is a he's a visual artist, and so we created a comic strip and we put him on the internet. You can go to Silver Gecko dot substack dot com sign up for it to get sent to your mailbox. It comes up with some of my writing stuff on my movie reviews as well. But you can get the Blockheads comic strip and we just started it and kind of took off on its own, and we're having a lot of fun doing it. It's kind of evolved into these characters that we think are very funny but also a little bit edgy. So we put together a compilation book for this year to cover sort of that first year of it, and we have added some you know, background information where we got our ideas, you know, how this process works, how we work with each other. We added a whole bunch of new illustrations and doodles, some of them very benign, some of them a little bit yeah, a little bit crazy. But we just published the book on Amazon this week, so you can get it in Kindle and if you actually have a Kindle unlimited account, you can just open it up and download it for that and you just read it. You don't have to buy it. You can just use it on your subscription. It's like three bucks to just buy a Kindle version yourself. You can get it for eight bucks as a as a paperback, and we did it as a mass market sized paperback. You don't hope paperbacks have gotten bigger now. You don't have the pocketbooks anymore, the kind of things like you know, like that's the thing that could fit in the back pocket of your jeans, like literally the size of a big phone.
Speaker 1: Now, well, it's because everybody has technology. And it's right, there's a swipe, right, I mean, do people actually get much of the books of the seafield? And although I'll go to half Price Books which is just around the corner here occasionally and grab.
Speaker 2: Stuff, there's there's something there is something charming about having having, you know, something tactile in your hand. But but we put it together this way because I remember back in the day when I was a kid, you'd get like you know, Peanuts or or or Dennis the Menace or Heathcliff or any of these cartoons. And yeah, yeah, the Garfield books which were long, but you had to just the pocketbook size collection of of of cartoons. And I thought that that sort of just evoked that retro So yeah, those are available. It's really cool. It's we did a nice little mock up cover. You to go to my Twitter at Kevin Carr, which Sterling has you probably linked out to it. Yeah, one of the top two tweets is us we got a picture of the book and there's a link there where you can pick it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of cool. And what's wild for me is because we've been doing these hits on the radio and then we did the Chubby and Sticking Out. We've known each other a long time and I've been around your family a couple of times here or there, and it's wild to see the kids grow up. And then what's it like to have that relationship in that creativity working with your boy, Because that's got to be an amazing thing. I mean, you know, it's wild and the outside looking in.
Speaker 2: At that, Yeah, it's fun. I mean it's you always gotta be careful when you when you go to a project with somebody from your family, because on one hand, it's good because you know they got they're going to see you Thanksgiving, so you can always catch up with them, they can't ghost you. But on the other hand, you don't want to become contentious like a working relationship how that can be sometimes. So what I you know, we we we we found each other's we've we've found kind of how we work well together. And it's been a lot of work recently as far as getting the book put together, but it's also been a very rewarding experience because it gives me a chance to see him, gives me a chance to spend time with him when we come up with these these some of these insane goofy I mean, some of the cartoons they have very typical, good old fashioned jokes that you've seen types of those before. But we also have stuff that's really kind of out of the box and strange, and that's the kind of stuff I love putting together. And we we we just we have a run of comics that are gonna be on the substack for Christmas that I think we are taking it to the next level in terms of you know, out of the box nests. But it's it's it's a lot of fun. It's great. And he was so giddy when I had a copy of the book that I could show to him, and he was very excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the thing to see you feel and touch something too, as much as so much as digital now in electric anically delivered. To have that that tactile thing and to see it's something that you've made has got to be an amazing thing. So I'm thrilled for you. Hopefully people like it too. Black Phone twos we're checking out Blockheads is there at the Silver get Goo dot substack dot com. Kevin Carr, thank you for you know, gracing us with your insights, your perspective and on occasionally you take the hit for us for movies that sucks so we don't have to, which is greatly appreciated because there's only so much time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some that there'll be another one coming up soon, I'm sure for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, man, if yourself a great weekend. We'll catch up against soon. All right, we see you later. He's Kevin Carr. More Sterling coming back, seven hundred WLW. Glad you're long Friday night, Sterling hanging out seven hundred WLW coming up to your ten third of your report up in what's going on all over the place, including updates on one of the most lioness liars and politics if you paid attention to it. News of a commuted sentence by President Trump for George Santos, who was convicted and sentenced to like eighty seven months in prison in a two years of supervised release after being convicted of identity aggravated identity theft. I want to make sure I clarify that wire fraud and just lie after lie after lie and ripping people off and everything else, and now he doesn't have to pay anybody back. It's all been wiped away effectively, any idea of restricution, probation, supervised release, or whatever else. He's just free to go, which I mean, that's a great situation for him, and he was if nothing else I mean other than like ripping people off and stuff right, and maybe lying and being a part of like the you know, the system of which laws are made and the government works, which maybe he fits right in with all of them in the muck. If you will, entertaining I mean just entertaining, because the level of the consistency and the ridiculous, just brazen lie after lie after lie entertaining as all hell. It'd be nice if we could all in the world move around in a perfect world, to be great. And as people said things when they were full of bs and talk some trash, that there was just a bubble like in a message on your phone. It would just pop up and go bs like a BS meter, and you could see it and you could, you know, witness it, whether it's on video or if you were talking to them or watching them speak publicly or whatever. Else. I think it would be fantastic. And think of the drinking games that could be involved with lie or not a lie, bs or not bs take a drink. It would be it would be tremendous. We'll just have to wait and see. I mean, who knows, he might be able to get right back into politics again, and that would be probably fantastic for the country. I mean, really, at this point, the President said he felt that he had been mistreated and no matter what, through everything, basically voted Republican up and down the line. And that's really what he did that President Trump appreciated above all. So you know, there's that. So welcome to America. Anyone can get away with just about anything, deepending. I suppose I would like a commutation. I would like some type of get out of jail free pass kind of scenario if I ever get in trouble. We'll talk on getting into trouble. Stuff that scares us in a whole lot more after the news Friday night, Sterling ten third or report now where the hooday handled business last night on a Thursday night with Flacco under center, And tomorrow night prime time, it'll be a Cincinnati football Bearcats in Oklahoma State Big twelve action here on seven hundred WLW. Glad you're long beautiful Friday Night. Triceay Sterling hanging out. Joe Wadell keeping me in line, producing another update. TrEPS Layer coming up about what twenty two minutes give her ten right now. Dodgers up for nothing, leading the Division Series in the National League, three games to none out of Chavez Ravine and Dodger Stadium, looking to get their way to the World Series. It's a three to two now a game situation for the Seattle Mariners. Ajuhanio A Suarez got a Grand Slam earlier former red help put them over the top. They lead three games to two, their game away from getting to the World Series. Which is a little kid playing in the backyard with a ball, you know, out in the park, not whole little league, high school, college, whatever it is. It's what kids dream of and their game out from that. And really at this point, one, two, three, six, six outs away, it looks like I think for the Dodgers, they just got to get six more outs of the Brewers and then they'll be playing in the World Series again too. Looking to do it back to back anyway. Glad you're along five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred, the big one. You can get interactive on x It's Twitter, by the way, at least it used to be at Stirling Radio and the iHeart Talk app iHeart Radio Talkback. A click on the microphone easier for me to say. Now, I don't care political leanings or otherwise doesn't matter to me. I think this whole commutation of his sentence, the thing in George Santos going away used to be obviously a representative in d C for the state of New York. He went away, was supposed to go for a good number of years. He was out in less than like six months I think or something. It wasn't gone very long. And the president is set him free and wished him to have a great life. Well, I mean and obvious, and he been online in his prison journal or whatever else complaining about polyester close and all the indignities of being locked up and then a psychological torture and so forth. It goes along with that. I guess he had been in some isolation situation as well. And I mean prison is not supposed to be comfortable. I mean clearly here talking about crime in Cincinnati and all stuff happening downtown and bubbling up of more problems, and you know, police need to do more, The justice system in general needs to do more. Parents need to do more, all that kind of stuff. You know, there's stuff always happening out here in prisons not supposed to be comfortable or good. If you want to talk to serious nature of it, that's fine. But what got me thinking is I'm looking at the long list of lies or mistruths or misstatements premeditated accidentally, I mean, compulsive liar. This guy. It's amazing, and I'll go through the list of it. But while I do that, what I'm curious about is this because a lot of us lie to keep people's feelings from being hurt.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I can remember my late grandmother when I was little, cooking like pancakes and stuff and got them a little browner than like I would normally have, which was fine. It was Grandma. I just added more syrup and butter. I was in good condition. I was fine with it and told her thank you because it was Grandma and my mom picking me up that day. I will never forget sees that. And here here's me say that she goes, you would have told me they were overcooked and that you wanted different pancakes or something, And he goes, what's the deal with that, because it's his grandma. Of course, now, I mean mom burnt mind. I'd be happy with whatever she made too. Just a difference in years and time. But you know, it's a little live you know, they were fine. They were fine pancakes. I look back fondly on eating my grandmother's pancakes A lot of times. You'll do, you know, your girlfriend or wife, these pants make my ass look big, and you may go, no, it looks great. Maybe you like big butts and you're like, hell, yeah, give me some of that, you know, just like Scarface said, you know, the poum hand, just like shackhands. If you know, you know, I guess if really what the boils down to. But I'm wondering, easy, lie, hard lie, biggest lie you've told, biggest lie you've been told. U we can maybe have a little fun with this. Santos, who's just been put out, her in the process of being let out, lied about where he went to school. He said that he admitted that he did not attend the universities he had previously claimed on his resume, and he had been told that he had gone a number of places that he did not. He lied about where he worked. He lied about owning a number of different rental properties that apparently he did not. He lied about being robbed of his rent money. He said that he was once mugged while he was going to pay his rent in Queens, New York, and apparently he never reported it. He just happened to be talking about crime and saying how he was victimized. Now maybe he didn't report it whatever, but I mean a longlist of lives. He said he was Jewish, not Jewish. During his campaign he said he was a proud American jew, but later backtrack called himself Jewish as in like kind of jewey Jews, not Jewish as in jew and then a hyphen and then ish because he actually about ethnicity, he's actually Catholic. He lied about criminal status in Brazil. He said he denied committing crimes in Brazil or anywhere else, but prosecutors in Brazil looked to reopen years old fraud cases against him. He fraudulently, apparently allegations of fraud in Brazil, not just here in the States, which got him locked up for a little while here. He apparently lied. It's been reported all over the place that he had lied to his own staff. He also had lied to others about you know, his donors, about raising money to get more money as well, which is pretty wild. He also said, apparently, I mean athletic accomplishments, which I think is amazing. Said he was a star volleyball player Borough College. And this goes back to some radio show that he was doing and talked about that, and that he had had both these replaced as a result of his athletic career. Apparently never happened, never had his knee replaced, never went to Brooke College. It's just just pathological. It's amazing. He lied about his mother's death. Apparently he had said that after nine to eleven, two thousand and one, somehow the attacks there had claimed life, that she died in twenty sixteen, so there's like fifteen years window. There no evidence of any connection by the way, to any disease or injuries or anything else with what happened nine to eleven to his mom's passing. He said that she was actually at her office inside the World Trade Center during the attacks, and that's from NBC News. He lied about campaign finances and fundraising there reported by News four in New York about improper donations a half million dollar loan personal funds also a part of that too, just on it. He lied to investors, he lied about his name. He lied about raising money for the homeless Homeless Veterans Dog to the tune of three grand apparently. And also he had lied at another time about being mugged in Manhattan and said that he was a target of assassination or at least an attempted assassination, and that he was mugged on Fifth Avenue in the middle of the day. No one knows if it really happened or not, but apparently he never really reported it, so which I guess that Schmosh guy or whatever the actor who lied about like what happened to him and said it was racial that got him some serious prison time for a while too, but different scenario. I guess false report that goes with it. I'm wondering what you've lied about. I mean, a lot of us people will have little white lives, and you hear this now a lot with people on their resumes, and people are okay with it. And I don't necessarily mean the people who were looking at the resume and you know, trying to hire somebody and go, yeah, I kind of okay with the like prospective employee lying to me. But people fudge stuff on their resumes all the time, adjurate, if not completely embellish skill sets or experience Showhey of Tani by the way, just pitching tonight and then also just went deep. It's now five nothing Dodgers in the bottom of the seventh. It's unbelievable. He is not from this world. I mean, some type of alien. I was talking to Lance about that earlier, talked about it all season, doing all kinds of stuff, had problems with the arm after the surgery, finally got back up to doing that and was hitting all year. Uh, just a monster. And what happened to the Brewers, by the way, they were the best record in baseball and uh, just unreal. And then seemingly the wheels have come off getting caught in the buzz saw that is the Dodgers. Unless something happens drastically, they need to score at least six and keep the Dodgers from scoring again. Oh Tani. Wow, just looking at this replay it just it is absolutely bewildering five three seven the big One at Sterling Radio on or Twitter, call it what you want, what's the biggest life someone's told you directly or otherwise. I mean, people, when it comes to the job stuff will do it on resumes, people will lie and cheat when it comes in AI and technology has certainly seemingly made it a lot easier impossible when it comes to writing or other stuff. An academic world of putting stuff together at high school, middle school, I guess even certainly the university level when it comes to putting stuff out, there a lot of plagiarism or manipulation of stuff that you could argue was plagiarized. And I have friends that have kids that are in school and they're constantly battling that now with the technology and trying to let them know that that's not appropriate, that's not really doing the work, which is pretty amazing. And then on the other side of it, I have some people that I know that are teaching, you know, high schoolers and younger kids as well as some at the university level too, and are telling me that it's a constant battle then going through and trying to weed through all of that. So people seemingly are okay with whatever the slippery slope is of telling the truth or passing stuff off is their work or other body and other person's work as their own, which is just just amazing. I mean, I don't know when it became okay, I don't think it's okay, but apparently for a whole lot of people it is. I mean, people lying to avoid hurt feelings in certain situations, lying to shield people from information that might hurt them. Okay, I kind of grasp that waiting, you know, to not necessarily tell kids every bit of information, you know, not fully disclosing some stuff. It's a different thing altogether. But the lies are just amazing. The list, And I didn't, by the way, going through that Santo's list. Someone Alex, one of the Alexes who messaged me regularly, says that you cannot have had that list as all legit lies from Santos. Yeah. I didn't even go through the whole list. That was just some of the lies. So yeah, it's out there. Five point three seven four nine, seven eight hundred, the big one lies you've been told, the ones that hurt, the ones that don't matter. Is it okay. When is it okay to lie where you're okay with it? And maybe being lied to as well. Relationship stuff, Oh I wasn't. I wasn't with her, I wasn't with him, I wasn't not with the boys, whatever it was. Financial stuff's always difficult. Oh yeah, I got lots of money, don't have any money. I mean, that's why people do backgrounds, that checks and all kinds of other stuff out there, because the danger is everywhere. It's it's okay, and I guess for some there are no rules anymore. It's wild. Friday Night, Sterling seven hundred WLW glad here a long a couple of minutes away from here. Eleven o'clock report Travis Laird with an uphing on what's going on around planet Earth that matters to us right here in the Tri State. So the Brewers got a couple guys on and they're threatening, So they're still battling. They haven't given up. But we'll see exactly how that goes and give you an update on that. We're talking about lies because you told and everything else. I'll get to something else that somebody messaged me one with a difference between he's a commutation, clemency and some other stuff. So I'll see if I can break it down. I'm not an attorney, I don't want to play one on the radio, but I can get the information and share it tomorrow. By the way, I will follow Xavier Musketeer basketball, I know. I mean there's still baseball on. It's it's you can feel the excitement, even though it's not our Reds. And then you got obviously NFL football Bengals, big Thursday night win last night with the Steelers in town, big white out, handling business which is huge and good and that's nice. And then of course you got your football Bearcats on the road to Oklahoma State looking to handle business tomorrow and to keep their winning ways alive. So that should be good. Here. That's Primetime tomorrow night with an eight o'clock kickoff, two o'clock tip tomorrow Musketeers hosting Murray State. Richard Patino given a first look at his Musketeers for this new young season that isn't quite here yet, but it's almost here. You can feel it. I mean, they're hockey soon dependent and then you get a little basketball, and then you get some football, and then you get little some October baseball life is pretty good. So Musketeers tomorrow in Murray State here and then I will get you through before Chick. I'm like the creamy center of an Oreo cookie in between Chick Ludwig and some Xavier basketball tomorrow, which is good. Now explaining what this commutation is compared to clemency and how that breaks up. So clemency is a general term they say that goes for leniency or mercy and allowing a commutation or reprieve or a pardon, pardon's act of forgiveness, absolution for a crime committed, or something a lot those lines. Apparently it doesn't take away the record. The record still will be there for Santos and apparently the rights that have been taken away. I don't know that means he can't vote still exactly or how that plays out, but he'll be free to walk among us. I'm sure he'll find himself a job making some serious money, and they can start adding to the list of lies as well, which is tremendous. I don't care where you fall in the political spectrum. One of the most lioness liars ever documented, and it got him in all kinds of trouble, including heisting people's money and donations for his campaigns, which now he does not have to pay back either, So all the penalties associated with that wiped away. So, you know, a couple months locked up, you can get you know, six seven, eight hundred thousand dollars worth of money from other people. Apparently if you know the right people and you vote Republican, which is what President Trump said that Santos did the entire way doing it. That can set you free. So if you're looking to do bad things, you know how to maybe get out. An o'clock report straight away. Travis Laird has news. We'll come back an hour to go. On a Friday night, Sterling Bengals win last night, Bearcats looked for a win tomorrow night, and the Musketeers look to get it. They're winning ways going again in exhibition basketball. Here on seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. Final hour together this fine Friday night. Glad you're here at Sterling seven hundred wlule back again tomorrow afternoon after some Xavier Musketeer basketball. It is that time, Murray State the matchup with the Musketeers. A little exhibition basketball gets real. In a couple of weeks. It's fast approaching. They're playing baseball in Los Angeles Division Series or Championship Series, I should say, in the National League. Dodgers leading five to one. I mentioned at base runners on the Brewers trying to salvage at least some face and maybe another game out of this. But they scored just one Dodgers back at bat five to one, bottom of the eighth, So they're three outs away basically from heading off the World Series. And then the Mariners a Heney a Suarez of course, in they're they're a game away. Three two is the where they're a series at this point too, So we'll see how it goes, and then they'll have some time off possibly uh five hundred, the big one, the number as up motivated to get interactive. I want your take. Also you can talk back by clicking on the microphone and the iHeartRadio app. So there was the carve out by way of deliberate intent or accident loophole, call it what you want with the farm bill and the issue of intoxicating hemp as they call it, which is sort of the history of a sister of YESU marijuana, if you will, which voters in Ohio said, hey, we want the League of Weed, and it's now available. After all the process that went through at the dispensaries all over the place, they swipe your driver's license depending on where you are, so they know what you're buying, how much that you're taking with you, and so on, which had some people feeling little little bit to too much big brother eyeballing you depending for some people or what have you. Governor Dwine put the kaibash on temporarily before a judge blocked his ban on the sale of THHC drinks, hemp products as well as like gummies and those type of things at places that weren't dispensaries, which in fact included at one point restaurants, but that has been put on hold now lawmakers in Columbus are wanting you still to be able to get the THHC drinks where you get alcohol, bars, restaurants. I suppose liquor store type of scenario right, not necessarily that carryout, although you would think in that case, if they got a liquor license, that they should just handle it as they would liquor when it comes to who you you know, sell it to, which is really what they should have been doing all along with the hemp products that didn't somehow fall into what was controllable at the disp and so forth, and a lot of people making a whole lot of money, and a whole lot of businesses with a whole lot of employees are now trying to figure out what they're going to do. Is stuff moves through the first of the week in Columbus, we'll see how fast the rules of government work. They'll probably move faster on that in handling like drawing new voter districts and so forth. When it comes to the whole jerrymandering thing too, I would imagine as time goes on, what I want to know is this, whether you're for the weed or not, whether you and bibe or not, you like to smoke out, eat a gummy, have a THC drink of some type, or otherwise, as long as people handled it appropriately and responsibly. And what I mean by that is if you're running a smoke shop, and I know some people who had do and they carded people, they didn't let kids in there, They did not put anything that was out easily grabbed for kids or anything else underage that had interest in trying to alter themselves in the last week, anecdotal stories or otherwise. It's made the news with some high school kids, I think, and even some middle school kids that were given gummies that they thought were just candy and they were a weed laced which took them on a ride they weren't expecting, and you got them, you know, some medical help in school as they started realizing they weren't acting normally, and then trying to figure out exactly how that goes. If it is handled and controlled at a bar, at a restaurant, at a store that sells alcohol, the same way that it would be with alcohol or someone selling cigarettes, what is the difference to you? I'm just curious because I mean lawmakers trying to protect children, is they should? I mean, everything's always about the children, right the next generation, and making sure that they're safe and secure as best as possible. That being said, upstanding responsible retailers would be doing the same thing, no different than when I was underage trying to find someone at one point in time before we found a store called the Stumps that doesn't exist anymore. I think it's now a charter school. In that building, you would know where to go to find someone who would ring you up for getting beer when I was underage or you knew someone who might go get it for you. Doesn't mean they should have, but it was one of those things. My guess is, kids are no different now than they were in the eighties and nineties when I was coming up, trying to get their hands on adult beverages weed most likely not any different. So someone who has a liquor license, which is a huge opportunity to make huge money depending or at least a living, and probably employ some people that you're paying so that they can make a living, one would figure that the thought of a loss of license and culpability, say, for instance, for allowing somebody who's not legally supposed to be getting their hands on those adult beverages, whether they're THHC laced or just alcohol, would be no different than somebody selling intoxicating hemp. And that's how it should be handled. And I think the lawmakers were maybe a little late in the game in the way that it was being drawn up, in the way it played out. They also tried very hard to try to limit, you know, the moneies. So you know, here's the thing. A lot of municipalities have made the choice not to allow dispensaries legal dispensaries in their neighborhoods, right their cities, their townships, et cetera. Makes sense. Maybe you don't want it there. You know, you might have a moratorium on alcohol being sold in some places too. They didn't want the weed. They didn't want the alcohol, but a lot of it is with the weed. So if you're in that situation, there's a whole lot of tax money that has been taken out of all this dispensary cash. This people have been spending boatloads of money, whether it's for medicinal marijuana or whether it's recreational marijuana products, those taxes, I'm not sure exactly where they've been going, but you know, whether it's Cincinnati or whether it's Dayton, or whether it's someplace in between that allows the sale of it or has a dispensary, those places where the dispensaries are should be getting those tax dollars in the benefit for allowing the commerce to take place in their municipality. And then they can handle that to fix roads and to handle it, maybe to pay more police or whatever else it is. That sort of goes along with what is required in whatever city or township or whatever else it is. It seems very basic. It's common sense in that regard. You know, why should a community that doesn't have a dispensary benefit from the taxes that are taken out for the places that actually do that business. They shouldn't. There's no you know, if you want the tax money, then you've got to be on the hook for the other end of it. So that makes sense in what they're going to do in Columbus. And anybody who is a bad actor selling this stuff to minor children, though there's no legal problem with it at this point, should have a penalty for it. But a lot of these businesses, whether they sold tobacco, products of other kinds or what have you, selling the intoxicating himp have found a way to supplement their income and make you know, I've talked to a few people, and I've heard them here on other shows in news stories. They're making one hundred thousand dollars or more profit quarterly selling this stuff. That is a major hit. Even if that was just an annual hit in a loss of one hundred a year, that's substantial. Even if it was just for six months, that's two hunt though add to that maybe something more in some cases four hundred thousand dollars a year. That's huge profit and a huge at tax and a lot of people probably going to lose their jobs as a part of this. But you got to handle stuff responsibly. And somebody somewhere along the way didn't understand what the farm Bill had in it and what it meant. And I still am of the opinion of a libertarian mindset that individuals should be free to basically do whatever it is that they want to do in their life until they start victimizing or being a problem or causing harm to other people. I mean, and it's that simple. You should be able to smoke, get high, drink, whatever it is that you're doing, as long as you're not getting behind the wheel, wreaking havoc on the community and becoming a problem and a predator in some type of nuisance or otherwise. Just in the last couple of days, I've had no less than five conversations with people in the midst of the talk about the Cincinnati police chief and maybe she'll be kicked to the curb, and now you know, all the business of negotiating how that exit might happen if in fact that's where they are and people saying, you know, they're complaining about downtown and the vibrancy and all the weed smoke, Well, if that's being done in public in areas where you're not supposed to be doing it, which you're not, then that's a policing issue. Should have been something that the police were on top of anyway, and then you leave that to the prosecutor to then prosecute those offenses, even if it's just a cheap ticket otherwise, and if they're underage, they shouldn't have it anyhow. It's the little stuff that builds into something bigger with kids loitering and everything else that goes along with that. And if you start acting like you're the problem, then you'll be treated like the problem. And that's just the way it was in my house. That's the way it should be in the neighborhood. That's the way it should be in the community. Unless I'm crazy. What do you think? Five three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred The Big One Talk Back the iHeartRadio app. Do you have a problem with these Delta eight products and hemp derivative products that are still intoxicating being sold in convenience stores or gas stations the same way alcohol is and to be controlled in that fashion compared to another dispensary the same way. They want these drinks to be old or you know sold that are you know, in infused with the THHC product, which are people you know navigating and a lot of beer sales and a lot of other spirits have been taking it in the shorts when it comes to you know, selling their products. It's sort of a slowdown, but people are embracing and the growth has been monumental with people trying to get their hands on these beverages, these edibles and the smokeable products, whether it's at the real dispensary, government controlled, or at that one in the strip shopping center that you hope has been doing their business the right way, and if they're not in habit then there should be a penalty. It's your chance to be heard on the other side. Quick break, come back, glad you're along. It's a Friday night Sterling seven hundred WLW the ninth first morning forecasts on the Big One down to fifty five tonight eighties for your Saturday late rating. Bearcats on the Road. Oklahoma State is where they'll be playing tomorrow night, primetime eight o'clock kickoff. They don't have to worry about. And Musketeers course playing sentas Murray State the exhibition game tomorrow afternoon, two o'clock tip off. That'll be inside. No worries are rain there either, sixties on Sunday, sixties on Monday, more seasonable. It's still sixty one right now. Let me refresh that. That's hard for me. Yeah, sixty at your severe weather station seven hundred WLW, a couple minutes away from your eleven thirty report. Conversation I had with Moaggart talking Bengals as well as Bearcats. Coming up after the news, Travis Laird with the latest There, big news out Los Angeles. Way landed the in and out burger Shohei Otani, who basically did it all on his own, but he had help too. He drove in three runs, walked, and I mean just unbelievable. He pitches, he dhs, he does everything. The Alien and those Dodgers will face off against it now as a result of their win in sweeping the Brewers, who would have saw that company coming. The Brewers plan the way they did all season, ran out of gas or just got caught in the chipper as the Dodgers just bowled them over. Dodgers win at Dodgers Stadium, bring home that National League championship. They'll face off against the Mariners, who were a game away, or the Blue Jays Sunday night. It could be a Seattle or Toronto trying to hang tough and not up the series. But right now it's a three to two lead for Seattle, and Hanio A Suarez and company handled business. Gino was spectacular earlier, got himself a Grand Slam and handled business a little bit earlier. Is that they beat Toronto and they'll get back to the other coast and see if they can bring home an American League championship. And then Suarez and of course former red along with him getting a chance to u Luis Castillo to get a little bit of what World Series action, which is what we hope is closer than not for our Reds. But it is the winter time ahead and hot stove League, so we'll see if they can find a bad and do their business. Something else I want to mention too, because in the last couple of days there's been news of a state trooper who was pulled over looking to help a trucker who had a problem and then he got he was killed, hit by I think it was a dump truck or something that went off the road or hit his cruiser, whatever it was, and then he lost his life. So his family and everyone should be mourning him. On the road doing what they do on a daily and nightly basis, and dangerous situations with people driving at high speed not paying attention. There was someone locally here, I think it was an ODET worker or just recently as a problem with that, and police on a regular basis having to navigate dangerous stuff. And today is what they call National move Over Day in Ohio also where ODD as well as the Ohio State Patrol working together to basically let people know when you see flashing lights of the obvious thing is to get out of the way, to move over so they have room to work or deal with whatever it is that they're dealing with slowing down, which is some basic stuff. And I mean, it's just the way it is. If you have been like me, you've had friends or family who've been out there doing the job, either in uniform as police or doing the job for O DOT or other types of repairs, and you know, literally sometimes inches or a foot away from people just blowing by speeding in general, let alone what construction speed is. It's unnerving. And you heard Matt Bruining, buddy of mine I used to work with, who's now a spokesperson for O Dot, talk about that in the news earlier, the fact they've lost I think over one hundred and forty people ode out workers over the years, just that, not including law enforcement in those situations. And these are generally preferable to accidents happen, But I mean people driving too fast and not getting over and being distracted. That's a negligence issue. That's a whole nother story. So just be safe out there if you're doing the work, and if you're on the road in general, keep an eye out. It's real simple. Straight away, you're eleven thirty report Travis Laird has an idea what's going on. He'll share that with us and then we'll talk some football with Mawegger from ESPN fifteen thirty coming up as well. Dodgers go into the World Series. And I mentioned this, my neighbor got really aggravated to me. I said, looking at this, I said, I would prefer the Dodgers, who beat the Reds in two in LA in that wildcard series that had a lot of people shocked that the Reds even got there, and it would have been nice if they could have won a game or maybe one. But I'd rather lose to a team that goes all the way than lose to a team who then loses in the next round. I don't know what kind of pretzel logic that is, but that's the way my sterling brain works. On a Friday night time for News Now seven hundred WLW