Speaker 1: Good morning, Welcome to the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WL Cincinnati Chippard.
Speaker 2: And damn the new years here.
Speaker 1: And Danny, this is year number thirty one for me. Okay as of like last Saturday morning. So how loujah. But you know, life goes on and you've made it that long without going crazy. No, no, actually you know I made it that long without getting fired. Okay, management doesn't know my name a month. You know, here I am at Saturday morning. Who in the hell's up at five am?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they do come and ask me the next day. Who was that guy with you?
Speaker 1: Oh you're lovely. Well, Happy new year everybody. Mitch Renfro, How in the world are you? It's called the Cincinnati Sports Boat and Travel Show and you're rolling back into town.
Speaker 2: When yeah, we're rolling back top.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on, man, and we're excited. We're back in the new building. Will be the first ones in there for as far as the consumer trade show, and January twenty third is stickoff.
Speaker 2: That is excellent.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: We missed you last year.
Speaker 1: Everybody missed you, and like, what sixty eight years now? So telling yeah, it's the we we have the new renovated UH Cincinnati Convention Center. Duke Energy is no longer the naming rights sponsor, which is fine by me. We need to keep our electric rates low and but that's another story. Okay, So all right, so we're rolling back in. What can we expect because I'm sure there's been a lot of changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's obviously after a year, and it's never ideal to be out like we were. We missed being there too, so we're super excited to be back, and you know, we've got a lot of great things coming in this year. Again, We've we've kept the RV component. The RVs will be back just like they were in UH twenty twenty four. The boats, I mean, we've got a lot of new boat dealers that expanded into bigger spaces than before. Some boat lines are all going to be there, from pontoons, your wakeboard boats, your fiberglass, every single and fishing boats, everything's going.
Speaker 2: To be there.
Speaker 3: We've added a little bit more power sports this year. We've got you know, a couple of big power sports boosts that are going to be bringing side by sides, tractors, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: More variety there we get again, We're we.
Speaker 3: Love having things for the whole family. So we brought Wiggy the water skiing squirrel, the biggest celebrity in the boat show world.
Speaker 1: And it's still you know what, it's still squirrel hunting season two.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so it's.
Speaker 3: A little extra. Yeah that squirrels a little on the edge, you know this time of year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah here, you know, yeah, and uh.
Speaker 3: We've got some dogs doing some frisbee tricks as well. You know, we also have the bird dog guys who like do Centro demonstrations.
Speaker 2: Troy Troy Thompson Yep, yep, yeah, Troy.
Speaker 3: Will be back this year. So you know, again this is adds value to the whole family. We've got a new area that we're going to call the Campfire Cafe, uh stage, where we're gonna have a lot of those things all going on. It's gonna be a fun area that we're gonna have kind of we're working with the caterine and the convention center to come up with some cool menus, craft beer, and just again just a cool spot where people can gather, take a load off after walking through the whole show and have some value for the whole family to watch a cool show. Are you on You're still on one floor? Yep, we're still on one floor. And we took up the whole, the whole. We're at A B and C, the whole. There isn't a single corner in that main floor that isn't something cool with good good.
Speaker 2: So are you sold out?
Speaker 3: Oh, we're sold out, baby. Like I said, every Milk and Cranny is going to have something that goes with the sports show.
Speaker 2: How many RVs do you think you're gonna have?
Speaker 3: You know, that depends on what they're bringing. I mean last year or twenty four they brought a lot of the diesel ushers. Oh okay, so they got like, what's great about it is they've got enough stays where you're going to see everything. Every class of camper there good.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a nice variety and less not so much duplication because you know it's you know, the RV lots these days, they're huge, okay, but the weather's miserable. Who wants to look at r v's outside. Who wants to look at boats outside? For crying out loud? Besides, they're all shrink wrapped. So I mean this is an ideal sit that that is great. So you'll how many how many of the RV dealers are there.
Speaker 3: There's going to be three that are going to be bringing RVs, so Boot Compass, Holven's, which is a big one. This will be i think their first show ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're super excited about coming out this year. They're great guys. They've been really fun to work with and so we're I'm very excited to have them. United Motorsports is working on getting some of their campers up there as well. Okay, so we'll have, like, like you said, a great variety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: It's the worst time a year to go look at r v's outside and so why not just come on inside?
Speaker 2: They're all here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i mean, let's face it, the camp you know, the gear out on a camp on a lot on RV light and it's cold out, the campers are cold, you know, so what a good place to go?
Speaker 2: How many boat dealers?
Speaker 3: Boat dealers and there's I'm at the whole floor covered with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, put me on the spot on how.
Speaker 3: It's over ten?
Speaker 1: All right, okay, go we can go get you on Facebook. And what's the website? Renfro Productions dot com.
Speaker 3: Right, yep, that or just Cincinnati Travel, Sports and boatshow dot com as well.
Speaker 1: All right, well, great to have you guys back in town. You kick butt and we'll catch up with you down the line, Mitch, and say hello to your dead.
Speaker 2: If you would. Sounds good, I will all right with that.
Speaker 1: We got to hit a break back with more Chip Hard's Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: In a moment, they were back.
Speaker 1: The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Mike Moore joins me.
Speaker 1: He is the i'd say you a conservative, buck breaking editor for the Ohio Outdoor News newspaper, the best paper this state has ever seen in its history. All the other ones have come and gone, and they all had good people, which Mike, you and I knew, you know, like Odie Snyder was an editor, Dan Armitage was an editor, Ohio Sportsman, and you know great lake fishermen, and you guys are still hanging.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty one year, Chip, and I thank you for the compliment. Thank you for the compliment, and yeah this is our twenty first year.
Speaker 2: Buddy.
Speaker 1: Well listen, hey, I really meant it, Otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know that, I know that, I know you well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and so you guys, you know your your your first issue of the year is out and oh my gosh, your your Ohio Insider column inside front page with poaching column responses, Well, holy cow, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: I knew it. I wrote about a couple of cases that the Divisional Wildlife prosecuted earlier in the fall, and man did they did? People come out of the woodwork to lend their opinion to that, which I love. I loved it. I knew it would get a good response, but like I said in that column, ship, it got more. I got more letters on that topic than anything we've ever done.
Speaker 1: And you know what, that doesn't surprise me, you know. And then of course that damn story that keeps having legs with what's his name from Wilmington. You know, I don't want to say his name, but it would have been the record white tail, you know. And people think, you know, and I'm sure you've heard this, Well it's our we're it's our right to poach. We mean, we might need to put food on the table. Okay, Well, they're glorifying this guy for poaching what you know, probably was the biggest you know, typical buck ever taken in Ohio.
Speaker 2: And I was too kind two years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, why two years ago?
Speaker 2: Why does that keep coming up?
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's a it's a good question, Chip. And the real interesting thing about this is my column for the issue that's going out this week. Yeah, is touch touches on that because I'm talking about a guy who killed a big, non typical two twenty eight and he he's dealing with a lot of people saying he poached it. And my column, I say it's social media has gone crazy with this stuff. You know, every time somebody kills a big buck, it's illegal. It's at shot at night, they're trespassing. They did something wrong. And I talked to this guy. He was in Champagne County. He did not poach this buck. He shot it legally, been chasing it for a while, but he had to deal with all this rumor and indiendo, you know. So my column deals with that in the January sixteenth issue. And it's funny that you mentioned that, you know, Well.
Speaker 1: It's it's sometimes, you know, with all the social media out there. In god Ben, it's just overwhelming you know, but I mean those of us n't quote the news business. Okay, we got to follow this stuff. And Facebook is unfortunately where a lot of it is coming up. So you know, you got to pick and shoes and try and figure out what's real and what's fake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you really do on a daily basis, yea, on social media. You know, we didn't deal with this ten fifteen years ago, but it's here today and it's here to stay.
Speaker 2: It's an hourly basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And and then the people that say, well, you know it's okay they needed to put food on the table. No, it's a crime. There's a difference between right and wrong. It's a law. It's illegal, okay. And I don't care what species or fish or game we're talking about. But you know what, well, just shut the hell up for crying out loud if you don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Follow the rules, man, I mean, come on, everybody else has to follow the rules. It's just like anything else. Chip, I mean, you know, one bad apple spoils a whole bunch.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you're gonna get caught.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, you know what, you are gonna get caught everybody gets caught.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 4: Everybody gets caught, big buck. Oh they always get caught.
Speaker 2: Always. So how do you how.
Speaker 1: Do you feel about the uh, you know, about the fines that are being what you know, what the courts you're handing out, what the you know, the fines that are the restitution? Uh you think it's commensurate with uh, you know, with with with uh you know, with the animals that are being taken today.
Speaker 4: Chip And like I said in that column, I think there's a disconnect between the hunting hunting people and the public. There's a real disconnect there. And I know I don't think they are com measured with the crimes that are being committed. I think judges are too lenient on on poachers. They they're multiple times that people do this, They get caught multiple times, and that shouldn't happen. Yeah, you know, this should be stiff enough the first time where you're not going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh well, listen, hey, I do we'd be on the same page. You know, even if you weren't on the same page, I just don't have you on. Okay, Hey, Mike Moore, sit tight. We got to hit a short break we'll be back more to discuss some other topics and get his opinion on the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati. Back in the moment, and we're back to Big Outdoors News Radio, seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Stick around.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a hell of a fun day at the Big One. I'm not going to go through the whole routine around here. But you got sports turbuls finding less to do these days, but you know they'll stay busy. And then you've got Gary jeff Walker and his cast of characters and Gary Jeffers. Since I know you're waiting in the win, you pay attention to some of this stuff. Okay, I really want you to, because uh, you know, you being from down south and all, you know, I think.
Speaker 2: You're like it. All right.
Speaker 1: We had Mike Moore, editor of Ohio Outdoor News. Okay, Mike, I'm sure you're beginning to follow and I've had to follow this for about a week and a half or maybe more.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The woman hiking.
Speaker 1: Uh uh you know east to excuse me, west of Denver on I guess a well known trail and uh was uh you know, was killed by a mountain lion it was. It was alledge for about a week. I don't know what took so long, but that's where it stood. Now, of course we come to find out that, uh, there were probably three lines involved. Two have been killed, one had human DNA in it, the other one did not. She was asphyxiated, which means she probably came out of a tree, jumped on her neck and just took care of it from there.
Speaker 4: Oh my good.
Speaker 1: So going back even farther, there have been multiple uh uh uh near attacks in the weeks preceding which just came out.
Speaker 2: So this was not an isolated incident.
Speaker 1: And so you know, you're talking about other couples, and here's what I don't get.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, you know it's tragic.
Speaker 1: Why are you not Why why are you out there alone in an area known for mountain lions, in.
Speaker 4: The area known for mountain lions, and probably didn't have pepper spray or whatever might have helped her, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's right, did not have a gun, a handgun, did not have pepper spray, no no protection whatsoever.
Speaker 4: What what do you think? What are you thinking? Exactly? Yes, that's when it comes. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you're in lions there.
Speaker 1: All the lions have come down out of high country because all of the game is down the elk, the deer and everything else.
Speaker 2: They follow the food, the food.
Speaker 1: So you know, here we are today, and I guess they've got one more lion to go after, they think, and so.
Speaker 2: It'll happen again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Man, that's that's a real I wonder if I'm sure Colorado has a hunting season mountain lion. Don't they I don't know.
Speaker 2: Not, yes, but not with dogs.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, they banned that.
Speaker 2: I guess they. I don't know when. But there is a lion season.
Speaker 1: However, most difficult if you're not using dogs, because that's how you hunt mountain lions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they probably are not hunting in the National Park either. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have not gotten into any of that.
Speaker 1: I know that this particular location is close to Rocky Mountain National Park, but it's a different, I guess kind of wilderness area. But nonetheless, it is an unusual circumstance. I think it goes back probably thirty years since the last time that this has happened. But you know, when you move into Lyon country, and they're gonna get used to you, and that's just get lesson, you know, they're they're gonna get less afraid, so to speak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I guess there's a.
Speaker 2: Lesson there, Mike. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think our audience is smart enough to know that, uh, you know, we don't do stupid craft like that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: And these people there against hunting, I mean that there's evidence right there, you know.
Speaker 2: So absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the Waldo, Ohio Coyote round up.
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's a big deal up here just north of where I am Chip And there's a guy named Lonnie Henderson who does a little bit of writing for me, and he's he's really involved with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've never been up to it. I don't know exactly what goes on, but I know it's a huge deal up in Waldo, which is in Marion County, just north of Columba.
Speaker 1: Well, clip being a chair editor and get up there and take care of it. Well, yeah, assign somebody to it, one of your other rip brawn and journalists for crying out, I.
Speaker 4: Really because yeah, Lannie has invited me, and it's it's always right around my anniversary. It's like November fourteenth or something like that, and or maybe that's something else. Anyway, Yeah, the club.
Speaker 1: This is uh January sixteen to eighteen, so it's for a three day period and uh so I guess you know, it's really just free range coyote hunting and whatever you shop, you bring in and and then and then there you have it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's that's really kind of fun.
Speaker 4: You know, absolutely. Man. I don't get a lot of pictures from coyote hunters, but they they are, They're out there, kys are everywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, you put the call out for pictures from coyote hunters.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's right.
Speaker 2: I want you to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how can we best find Ohio Outdoor News Www.
Speaker 4: Outdoornews dot com, backslash Ohio.
Speaker 1: All right, you keep up the good work and we'll catch up down the road.
Speaker 3: Michael, Thank you, partner.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you bye bye. With that, I'm out of here for a minute. Gotta go to the bathroom. Come back, do a few things. Let you lose, bet you loose to Gary Jeff chip Hard seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, w LW. Hey, we're back the Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, heading in the bottom of a hour waiting for Gary Jeff to walk in here and PLoP his butt down.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, you have until tomorrow to put in your application to become an Ohio Wildlife Officer in their training school. They're going to fill up the twelve positions beginning in August of twenty twenty six. So maybe you're a centi cop. Maybe you're another you know, city cop. You want the you want the great outdoors. Check it out, man, you might have a heck of a lot of fun. You don't have to hunt and fish, but you certainly got to know about it. Moving on, Tennessee is now the first US state to make gun safety courses mandatory in schools. What do you think of that, Danny? I mean, what whose brainchild?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: I remember back in the day the NRA had the any Eddie the Eagle program, you know, firearms training, you know safety and all that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's still around.
Speaker 1: Tennessee took the initiative and uh uh, let's see. The new law, signed by Governor Bill Lee, will take effect in the twenty twenty sixth school year, all K twelve students to receive annual training on basic gun safety. That is just absolutely fantastic. If you're wondering where Ohio ranks in terms of Trophy Bucks, this came out in Game and Fish, and I think was written by a game guy named Mike Rex with Buckeye Big Bucks at least he probably found all this. Ohio ranks two number two in the nation with four hundred and sixty four Trophy B and C entries from the past ten years. And if you think Ohio's deer hunting sucks, look again. With that, I'm gone. Gary Jeffins. Next The Big Outdoors News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. Be Safe in the Woods, saving the water and the remaining days in your deer stand